Mid-60s. Canadian. Monday & Thursday fasting. No excuses.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid-60s. Canadian. Monday & Thursday fasting. No excuses.

This topic contains 361 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  grburgess 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 363 total)

• Hi, all! Welcome to the first full week of October. Today is a fast day for me and I’ve been really hungry, but I’m about to have an omelette and that will help get me through to bedtime.

Pamplemoos, yes. This is a great group, and eating this way has become such a WOL that I keep finding myself surprised when someone remarks on my weight because I no longer think about it all the time.

Today I was doing some promotion for my book, and I thought the person I was writing to might be interested in seeing a “before and almost-after,” so I created one. I still have a few pounds to lose but I’m getting there. I thought that all of you wonderful people who are helping me reach my goal (and will then help me stay there, I hope!) might enjoy seeing the results of all your kindness and support (and my fasts). So here it is. On the left is me one year ago, and on the right is me last week: http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a414/MaryWWriter/bc1f4de9-45cb-4e97-a809-e7a9382a37e6_zpsrhncyvy3.png

Oh my goodness Mary, you look fabulous !! Your photos really show how far you have come and to what effect, and the effect is awesome, well done :-)I have found this really encouraging. How much have you lost now and what was your starting weight a year ago, can you say? Are you still on 5:2? I am just bobbling along, usually a lb a week, but very grateful for it. Your progress has always inspired me and helped me stay on course. Thanks for that xx

Hi Mary and all, I am in England, 64 and just finished my first 3 weeks and am down 6 lbs and loving it. Mary your photos are great. What an inspiration!

I have a cousin and his family in London Ontario and others elsewhere. They were raised in Niagra.

It’s so nice to meet my own age group and although we are miles apart we have a common goal. I need to lose another 34 lbs. FD went well yesterday. That big tummy is going down already!!

Best wishes to you and all.
    Beverley

Welcome, Beverley! I grew up in London, ON. I love this forum because of how it brings together people from all over the world, all of us on the same journey (even though we sometimes have different words for what we are doing — like how you say “shift weight” in the UK while we say “lose weight”). Anyway, welcome aboard and if you keep checking in here it will help your progress a lot.

Tessy, I’m down 29 lbs so far. I started at 187 and I’m at 158 this morning. I really need to lose another 10 lbs. — and intend to do that unless my face starts looking old and drawn — and that’s when I’ll go on maintenance. I find it hard to believe that in my 20s, I thought of my goal weight as 125!! I’d look gaunt at that weight today.

The “before” photo was last October but I didn’t get started on 5:2 until the end of April, so I’ve lost this weight in 5 months. I am not contending with the health issues you are and the conflict of your meds with weight loss efforts makes it much harder for you. But you’ll get there, too. I’ve been doing exercises to improve some problems with my back and shoulder, etc. but I haven’t been doing too much aerobic exercise… yet. It’s mainly been the diet.

The only one thing I can say for sure that is so far, I have never caved on a fast day. The other days haven’t always been too perfect.

But it’s all about keeping it off, isn’t it? Lots of people lose weight, then gain it back again. My goal is to get where I am going, and then stay there.

Thanks for the photos Mary you look amazing!!! Lovely to actually ‘meet’ you…well done..
    Hi Beverley and welcome..I am also in England and am 64 too…I started 5-2 in late May wanting to lose about 21lbs…having struggled to get down any further (its just being obstinate and I’ve lost a bit of willpower since the weather got cooler!)I have lost 19lbs to date..at present I am being kind to myself and just doing the 6-1 for a while then maybe will have another ‘go’ to get rid of the last 2lbs. This is an amzing way to eat and I really feel in control!!

So pleased to hear you say you haven’t caved in on a fast day Mary!!! I have missed one or two if I’ve been away but have always maintained my previous weight…I have just got into a mind set on fast days and stuck with it although its been really hard a few times….yesterday I just told myself about all the ‘normal’ yummy things I could have today!!!I always seen to be ok after supper its during the lond time between breakfast and supper!!! x

Pamplemoos: I totally agree that not all fast days are created equal! Sometimes I get into the zen of it and I just keep chugging along through the hardest times (for me that is between mid-afternoon and “dinner”) and other days I am counting the minutes until dinner. I also remind myself of what i can have the next day, and that helps me get through it. But if I let myself go on the non-fast days, the weight loss slows or even stops. I try to be careful (stick to somewhere near the TDEE) on those days as well.

Carry on, all!

Wow Mary, you look stunning. I love these pics!! I’m going to dig some out and do the same over the weekend!!! Inspirational to us all.

Hi everyone, hi Mary, your stats are brilliant, great weightloss. 🙂 I’ve just had a fasting day just like you describe, counting every minute till I could have my soup, now just hoping I can get to sleep soon and not dream about food!! You are all doing brilliantly, I only wish I had taken a picture when I started! Happy fasting lovely fasters 🙂

Hi, Expat — post a link when you have created a b&a. I’d love to see it.

Tessy, thank you. It’s funny how, even though I can see that I look different on the outside, and I know that this program has been working since the end of April for me, I still worry that I’m going to blow a fast day at some point, or that I will totally fall off this program and gain it all back and more. I need to stop thinking about it, and just keep doing it, I guess. One foot in front of the other.

hello, a fasting day for me today – trying to be more mindful and occupied, but just realized I have a dinner out invite tonite to a friend’s, so will aim to be moderate, but may need to fast tomorrow instead. Especially with turkey weekend coming up, so will also need to swap next Monday’s fast!
    I recently received a clothing gift in a lovely Jac [the designer] bag, and wanted to share the bag’s inspirational message.

Always remember you are braver than you believe
    Stronger than you seem
    Smarter than you think
    & twice as beautiful as you’d ever imagined.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Phoebe, that’s lovely. Hello to everyone. Anne

Hi Mary

I’ve been lurking for a while as I’ve been busy with holidays etc. I appreciate how hard it is to believe in the new slim you. It took me 12 months to accept that I am slim, and will remain so with constant vigilance over what I eat and how much I eat. So long as I minimise sugar and white foods, having almost no bread or such products, I can keep to my slim weight. I lost 3 clothing sizes and have never gone back up. I began 5:2 in January 2014 and I will stay on it for life.

All the best to you.
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

Phoebe and Ann, great to see you here!

Bay, that really helps. Thank you so much.

Well done Mary, looking good!

You look wonderful, Mary. You all make me green with envy…but in a very friendly sort of way:) anne

PJBR and PrairieGrass1 Thanks. And Anne, thanks for your honesty. I have often found it aggravating to read about others’ successes (in various areas) so I know how you feel. 🙂

It is Thanksgiving Day Weekend in Canada. Today we are having the turkey (and stuffing, and yams, and pie and whipped cream). There is not going to be a TDEE in my head today. But I have put my foot down and insisted that we not have mashed potatoes or buns on top of all that, as we used to have when I was growing up and which I have always served in the past.

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends! Ours is 5/6 weeks away, but this is my favorite time of year and Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Anne

But, oh…I’m would be mourning the missed mashed potatoes (keep your yams). Anne

I will never give up my yams. 🙂 Or brussels’ sprouts (forgot to mention them).

Well, here I am again. After a week of visiting with friends from out of town (who love to try out new Toronto restaurants, as I do), I am now working to get rid of a couple of pounds I gained back. I remember when I moved from the 170s to the 160s, I seemed to get stuck right around the 168-170 mark for almost a month. Now the same thing is happening as I cross from the 160s to the 150s. Dither dither. I’ve still been sticking to my fast days, but I’ve been consuming too many desserts on other days. I only have about ten pounds to go. I am now speaking sharply to myself: get it done, Mary. Get it done.

Mary,
    I too seem to lose some then dither around that weight for a while and then go down to another number and dither around again. I wonder if it is our body adjusting. Anyway, that is what I am putting it down to.
    For a while I was (slowly) going down in weight but my fat percentage stayed the same. Now I am dithering in the mid 160’s but suddenly one day my fat % dropped by 2 points! It doesn’t seem sensible other than the body readjusting.
    All in all what seems like a struggle is maybe not a struggle at all.
    That is the pattern I am seeing in myself anyway.

Was wondering where all the Canadians were on this thread. Haven’t heard much lately. Must be Thanksgiving or the election or both.

UP an at’em everyone. We CAN do it!!!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH, PJBR. I was feeling a bit lonely and discouraged there for a minute. Thanks for checking in here with such a positive message. It really helped today. 🙂

Hi Mary and all…like you I found my weight seemed to stick and not alter the nearer I got to my target and I did get a bit fed up…then I would lose half a lb etc…When I was just 2lb short of where I wanted to be I decided to have a break…just do one fast day and it seems to have worked…with a bit of care (but def NOT cutting foods out)It seems to have righted itself…I am now happy to say I weigh my personal target weight (or one I decide would be about right for me!!)I am trying not to be too obsesive and to weigh myself a couple of times a week…feeling really pleased with myself plus I know I am finally in control…

Hi Mary and all

I’ve been lurking and reading but not posting. I’ve been on the road on and off since the end of July. Lots of travel and visiting family and friends. Keep up the good work. 😉

Hi Mary, my weight loss went in steps and stairs. Because I’ve kept a 21 months record of weight and fat percent and food intake, I can track what has happened. As with Pamplemoos, I think the steps and stairs are related to the body reorganising itself.

So when you persevere with 5:2 your body seems to rearrange your fat storage and then when the body is ready, you lose some more weight. You just keep persevering for health reasons, the weight loss is a lovely side benefit.

I found that giving up all white foods (rice, pasta, bread, wheat, sugar, potatoes) on any day gave me a kickstart to lose the last 5 kg. (12lb). You don’t have to give up anything, but it makes the weight loss happen faster. I didn’t think of it as denial, but rather a choice that I made to speed up reaching my goals. I had goals for both weight and fat percent, and wanted to reach a waistline that was half of my height. I was ecstatic to reach those goals.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi all and thanks Bay!!I have cut my intake of white foods down a bit, don’t take sugar and agree it does help…haven’t ever worked out my fat percentage…wouldn’t know how..am really pleased with my loss -21lbs and have definately lost lots of fat-ie stomach much flatter and generally body sihouette much leaner plus a dress size drop..this morning I’m off to the hairdressers to have a new me cut!!

Hi Pamplemoos, I have a set of Salter brand digital scales that tell me weight, fat percent, water percent, and muscle. I record weight and fat percent and am pleased that the fat percent is now in the healthy range.

What an interesting result in the Canadian elections. Change seems to be part of the political times. As some of you may know, we recently changed our Prime Minister without a General Election when his Party voted for a new leader.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Congratulations to Canada on your new leader. Seems like a breath of fresh air.

Just checking in to say Hi. Been awfully busy and I am getting sick of it. Too much work.

Still fasting 2 days a week and have just done my first ever two days in a row. It was way better than I expected. In fact, it is now past lunch on day 3 day 3 and I have only consumed 945 cals over the last 3 days. And I feel good. My weight loss is at a steady 100 grams or .22 of a pound per week. I have passed my initial goals of 68kg and am now trying for 65kg. After that, I’ll see.

Worst thing is that I have to keep buying new trousers. Breaks my heart giving away my nice pants all the time because they are too big. I also have to learn to dress like a thinner person instead of veering for the “baggy” all the time. My husband has to learn this too.

Hope you are all well….nice too see you all here and still active in support. Sending hugs XX

I love this thread because everyone is keeping on with it without focusing on it exclusively: we do have lives that we need to work around! And we are all making (or continuing to make) such great progress. I feel much better (more positive) today, and it’s largely thanks to all the notes on this thread. (Thanks to PJBR, BayLeafOz, Pamplemoos and ExPat). I read some other threads where people are always complaining that they aren’t losing, or are giving excuses for caving in half way through a fast day. I know these things happen, and they happen to everyone, but for the most part everyone here seems to be resolved that this is a health issue, and that this way of eating is the best way to manage our health. Excuses aren’t helpful.

I am very happy with our new prime minister. He is young and energetic, he has a big heart (long may that last!) and he believes in scientists (unlike our previous PM), the environment (ditto), and diversity (ditto). It is very exciting and I think most Canadians are feeling hopeful. And the Blue Jays aren’t dead yet (although they probably will be by the end of tomorrow).

I am feeling so sorry for you having to buy new trousers all the time, ExPat, especially since I know you have to fly to Australia to get them. 🙂 I know what you mean about “dressing like a thin person.” I have spent so much of my life trying to hide my body that it feels weird to wear something that shows off my figure.

One of the highlights of this week was that I was standing with my hand on my waist the other day, and I actually felt only muscle and no fat! It was amazing. I guess these planks are helping. I’m up to 3.5 minutes now. I need to start adding in some aerobics, but at the request of my chiropractor I’ve been doing 1/2 hour 5 days a week of weights and stretches, and it is finally having some effect.

I have found one of the world’s best exercises. It is playing “I’m going to get you” with my twin one year old grandkids who crawl as fast as they can away from me and wait for me to crawl up behind them and catch them, giggling their heads off. Problem is they crawl in opposite directions. Talk about high intensity workout! After ten minutes of that, I was ready for a rest. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen for several hours. Great aerobics. And fun.

Hi all, hi Mary, keep plugging away, have another look at those amazing photos you posted. You have come so far.. It’s going to stall sometimes, but your body is just working it out. Spirits up, you are such a star. how wonderful to spend such a fun time with your grandchildren. They are so brilliant young children, they live totally in the moment, I love that feeling. Good luck with your new leader, times are changing 🙂 xx

Hi Mary
    I like this thread because everyone is positive and persevering with their goals. Well done! Small children are the best people in the world as all their actions come straight from the heart. ??
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi all!

Mary, you gave me a good laugh this morning, I can see you crawling after twins going two different ways!

Can’t they move fast!!!!

Hi, All,

I am down three pounds in October, which is not as much as I’d hoped but it is much better than a gain. I’m still finding it a bit difficult (aka impossible) to stay within the TDEE most NF days, but I’m still being very good at sticking to the fast days. I think some of it is the way the darkness of autumn moves in. I find myself slowing down and that does no good for burning calories. I need to get my fit-bit busy again.

I have joined the six week challenge for Christmas (Nov 1 to Dec 15: 15 fast days required) in the hope that I can get rid of the rest of my weight and hit my goal. Not sure of the name of thread, but when I find out what it is I’ll come back here and post it in case anyone else is interested in it,

I’m off to see Tannhauser at the Cineplex and then it’s Hallowe’en — on a non fast day. I can’t guarantee I won’t eat any treats. 🙂 Happy Halloween to you all.

Here’s the link to the Christmas challenge.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/little-voices-november-december-christmas-challenge-lets-load-up-santa/

When I dropped in there to sign up, I was delighted to see that several of you had already found it!

hello all, I joined the pre-xmas challenge too. And yes PJBR it is me. Thanks for your kind words:) I’m now 10 weeks post surgery and excited to have appt with kineseology trainer on Tues at a small ‘boomer fit’ class. I will be starting slowly — no planks yet Mary, as whole abdomen still tender and weak, but I will get there! Back at work next week part time too, which feels great.

Hi everybody!

I’m back from the month-long lurk. Great news from everybody: Mary, 3.5 minute plank!!! That’s amazing. Abs of Steel!
    I have given up everything over the month, no fasts, no planks, no diet but luckily kept up my 10,000 steps a day walking. I didn’t gain more that about a pound and I think it was thanks to the walking.
    So, lazybones is back again and has joined the new challenge: my last two kilos by Christmas.
    Knuckling down in Japan. Sue.

Did a walk this morning – Yay!!!!! Paid myself $1.Trying to encourage myself with money, to do more exercise. Would like to see a regular 10,000 steps AND to do a little exercise program I made up for myself.

I love the monthly challenges. Thank you MaryW for getting me onto that.

Hi Mary and all

I’ve been lurking and nursing myself through some down time. Meantime supporting you in spirit and being impressed by your journey. ??

By tracking my weight and waistline on the Fast Tracker at the top of this page, I have measured what I knew. That is, whenever I eat carbs and sugars, my waist expands dramatically and my weight goes up. They both reduce when I have sugar free and processed carb free days, no bread etc.

One thing I have come to realise in Maintenance is that Weight goes up quickly, but it takes extra time to come back down. I’m still on my chosen way of life 5:2 and have now been fasting for over 21 months. While I vary within a 2 kg range, I have maintained a consistent underlying 15 kg loss and a healthy BMI of 23. ??

I’m on the Maintenance thread, Thanks to Dr M, and we post our continuing maintenance stories there. It appears quite consistent for us all, that carbs and sugars lead to cravings for more of the same. We have learnt that healthy fats, eg, olive oil, cheese, raw nuts, full fat yogurt, avocado etc, are very good for us and essential for our health.

Cheers, Bay ??

Phoebe! Great to see you here. So glad you’re feeling well enough to get back to your workouts and work.

SilverSue, no one who does 10,000 steps a day can ever be called a lazybones. I think as long as we have a toe in the water (as it were), whether it be sticking to the fasts or doing something physical for our bodies like you were, it means we haven’t given up on ourselves. And giving up on myself used to be what I did regularly — I used it as an excuse to go nuts. It’s so much easier to get back on track when we haven’t gone completely off it. Welcome back.

PJBR — great to see you. I envy you the walk. I did my exercise routine but I didn’t get out, which is stupid because we are having unseasonably warm weather here in Toronto. Tomorrow I’m off to play with the babies and their 4 year old brother, so I’ll get walking exercise and chasing baby exercise. Last week I didn’t recover until Thursday. I have to remember that I’m not also a kid when I’m with them: I pay for it the next day. They don’t.

Bay, thank you!! It is so encouraging to hear your story and to know that even if you’ve been through some down times, you are still maintaining.

Today was a Monday fast day for me, and I am realizing that since I started 5:2, Mondays are my most productive work days (and therefore they are my most rewarding days) of the week.

Till soon…

I don’t always post but do follow this thread whenever I have some time…Bayleafoz I read your last post with great interest. I am on the 6/1 now. I do struggle a bit and my weight does seem to fluctuate (read 1-2lbs) over the course of the week..but I suppose thats to be expected..I try to weigh myself only a couple of time a week too. I am terrified I will gain so I do watch what I eat the rest of the week!!Yesterday was a fast day and I struggled,I weighed in at 133lbs this a.m. so still on target of my 21lbs loss.

Pamplemoos, Bay and others who are on maintenance: Maybe when we get there, you will recommend a good forum thread for maintainers to join.

Phoebe, check out this comment! https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/over-60-sick-and-tired-but-ready-to-reboot-my-health/page/14/#post-118225

Hi Mary hoping someone will point me in the right direction too!! You amaze me that you are always doing extra exercise as well as the 5/2…I love walking (and do yoga regularly)but thats my limit (think I’m too lazy!!)

Pamplemoos, I do the exercises because I am trying to get rid of a sore back and a sore leg. I figure there’s no point in paying the chiropractor and massage therapist every two weeks if I don’t do my “homework.” 🙂 I’ve done yoga, and I am doing less exercise than I do when I go to a yoga class.

hello all, Yesterday’s fast started well but fizzled by mid-eve when a few left-over halloween treats called spookily out from the closet [where they were waiting to be taken to work Wednesday…]. I don’t even like that cheeeeeep chocolate, but ‘just 1’ quickly turned into ‘1 of each type’ so 5. sigh……Fresh fast start today. That’s my new plan for the xmas challenge — if I blow a fast, I will fast again the next day and get it right :).
    Re exercise: PJBR and any other Canadians [and possibly Americans too]: Classical Stretch is back on PBS television Monday mornings at 530 BC time…. Miranda, former ballerina, delivers a great 20 minutes of whole body gentle stretch and strength — I recorded many for free over the last couple of years, and keep them on pvr player. Her focus every time is a little different, I like all tho some more than others, so having a few to select from is great.

Mary – we have crossed posts. You may like trying Classical Stretch too for your back. Her approach gently loosens, lengthens and strengthens, and I always feel taller and more limber after. She is now early 60s, looks fab, and had BC when she was 50!
    Thx again for steering me to the 0ver 60 comment 🙂

Oop’s sorry Mary I realised you were having some sort of treatment ie massage but didn’t know you had problems!!You always sound soo active and busy…all those planks make me ache thinking about them!!

Hi Mary, Pamplemoos and others

I post on the Maintenance Chatbox with a group of lovely supportive women from around the World. We swap stories about what works for us and what doesn’t work. We also swap recipes and research articles.

We welcome new people on the thread. The more the merrier to share in this journey of a lifetime. ??

I have kept records of weight, waist, hips, bust, exercise, and food eaten since I began. This may seem excessive to some, however, it does mean that I know the impact of certain foods on my system. I know that if I indulge in wheat and other starchy products etc, I will add a kg in 24 hours. If I have days free of sugar, grains and processed carbs, I then lose the weight.

I weigh whenever I have access to scales, daily when at home, and whatever I can manage when away. It helps to reset my eating. I accept that a natural variation of 1 kg (1-2 lb) is normal. The variation occurs given what I have eaten or drunk. ??

Cheers, Bay ?

Hi everyone, this thread is very quiet, hope you sure all ok,and doing well? Just checking up on you Mary. Hope your fasting is still working well, your writing is as brilliant and creative as always and you are enjoying life as a lighter woman 🙂 xx

Hi everyone…haven’t posted for ages hope you’re all doing well…Have been maintaining my weight for just over 2 months and by having a ‘maintenance fast day’ once a week I seem to be able to keep it steady.It works for me if I keep the cals down to approx 500-600 and the usual mainly veg and fruit and very low or no carbs…Just wanted to wish you all wherever you are ine the world a very Happy Christmas…unlikely to be posting much more…

Pamplemoos,
    Good going on your maintenance. Merry Christmas to you too and a Joyful Season to whomever does not celebrate the birth of Christ.

See you on a maintenance thread, Pamlemoos?

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 363 total)

You must be logged in to reply.