MAY 2018 – MONTHLY CHALLENGE

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
MAY 2018 – MONTHLY CHALLENGE

This topic contains 1,073 replies, has 83 voices, and was last updated by  abop 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,075 total)

• WELCOME to the May 2018 Monthly Challenge!

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

I’m delighted to be hosting this month’s challenge. The first monthly challenge was started by @coda in May 2016, since when so many of us have enjoyed the amazing support to start or continue our 5:2 journey. Here’s a note about how it works:

1. Brief introduction – will help us to get to know each other, esp newbies! Please use your very first post of the month to introduce yourself – perhaps say something about your beginning, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from this Way of Life (WOL). Include your starting weight any other measurements (waist, hip, bust etc) you’ll be tracking this month, plus your monthly goal(s)

2. Spreadsheet – You can also record & track your progress on the spreadsheet, listing ourselves in alphabetical order by username. There’s space to track your monthly targets, mark your fast days (FD) and keep track on how others are doing too. It may help to keep ourselves accountable, or plan FDs for the month ahead. Any problems with the spreadsheet please ask – there’s always someone happy to help out.

3. Format – Start each day’s post with the date where you are, where you’re from, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). Members live all over the world and in different time zones; it’s helpful to know which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting etc. Eg I’m in the UK and don’t fast on Tuesdays, so on Tuesday 1 May I’ll begin my post Day 1 UK NFD

4. Frequency – Some people post daily and briefly, some check in every few days, and others come every day and share experiences and ideas. There can be maybe 80 people around the world taking part in a monthly challenge so we’ll mostly post once a day. If you ‘re posting for a second time in a day, please head your post accordingly eg Day 1 second post.

5. Content – Post your comments or questions, complaints or causes for celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks ideas welcome too. Remember – we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails. Whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum is there’s almost always someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support or solidarity.

7. Pocket lists – Over the course of these monthly challenges, small groups have added their own mini-challenges. A ‘pocket list’ is a group who’ve set themeselves a target and are supporting each other through it, mostly by knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join one a pocket list or start a pocket list for a FD– it’s entirely optional and flexible.

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

The link for May’s spreadsheet is below – please do add yourself if you’re not already on it, and update your numbers if you are 🙂
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CNb1go2njG3xEQlkqcLwVYnkcptzymGD06Jw0kb9aJI/edit#gid=0

As host of the May 2018 Challenge I’ll be trying to read the posts & respond each day. Previous hosts have all been wonderfully warm, welcoming and wise. This is only my 6th month on this WOL so I’ve a lot less wisdom to share, but I”ll do my best to offer a warm welcome. Please forgive me if I miss something.

Together we are stronger 🙂

Am I really going to be the 1st poster!!!!!

@michelinme, thanks for herding us cats this month, I’m clearly IN!!!!

Keeping with maintenance and this wonderful group!

Thank you for hosting and count me in. This wonderful group has been the backbone of my accountability!

Thank you for taking up the hosting of May Challenge @michelinme

Definitely in, love being the part of this great, supportive group of people 🤗

Hello! I’m from the UK on day 3 FD and new to the site. I am 21 and weigh 84kg due to past traumatic events I looked to food for comfort. I decided I want to get back to the old me and have set my goal of roughly 60kg although I just want to feel comfortable in my own body! I am currently doing the 4:3 and have seen a slight change from day 1 but hoping to get a more accurate weight loss by the end of the week. Glad to be here to share my progress!

Country West Australia
    please add me to the May challenge. And thanks @michelinme for hosting.
    Looking forward to a decent month!

Hi everyone. I’m also a newbie! This is day 1 for me and a FD . Living now in Spain and heading for a “big” birthday in September. Currently 70.8kg and would love to be 63kg.
    Would welcome the support and guidance of this group during my first month and apologies in advance if I ask some really daft questions!

I’m in! Really need May to be a turn-around month so going to go all in 🙂

Please count me in for the May challenge. I’ve been here since autumn last year, and am slowly deflating my fat suit. Lots of ups and downs ( I don’t weigh myself but I’ve moved down a size in that time). Just want to feel happy with my body, comfortable around food, and fit and well. I managed to stop drinking alcohol, after years of losing control of my drinking, and now feel happier than I’ve ever been. Better late than never! Good luck to all existing fasters, and hello to the newbies.

Hi All

I’m also quite new to the fast diet, been doing it a week now and enjoying it so far and not finding it too difficult. Today is a FD for me so trying to keep busy at work.
    Can you please add me Michelinme and thanks for hosting this months challenge. I have an event at the end of May and would love to lose some weight and feel better in myself.
    I weigh 68kg at present but would love to get down to 60kg before a holiday in August this year.

Sorry, meant to say I’m from Lincolnshire, UK.

Hello again old friends @flourbaby @songbirdme @debster251 @shinything @lilymartin @catch87 @emmataylor

And a very warm welcome to @cutegirl365 @claireinspain @angielu

Great to have a group already gathering ahead of next week’s start. Some of us are just finishing up April’s challenge while others joining for the first time in a while or for the very first time. it’s wonderful to have this combination of wisdom and fresh eyes 🙂

Do have a read of the OP & the 5:2 basics, and then ask away – there’s absolutely no such thing as a stupid question!

Please feel free to add yourself to the spreadsheet / update your details and sing out if you need any help with anything. I’ll check in each day and others will be popping by and happy to help

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CNb1go2njG3xEQlkqcLwVYnkcptzymGD06Jw0kb9aJI/edit#gid=0

I’m in for May 2018, my 17th month with the challenges. I have been maintaining for 6 months and aim for 2 FDs per week. I also put in a minimum of 10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit. Weather permitting I walk/hike 4 miles every day and play golf two or three times a week.

I am 71 years old and am at my lowest weight in 45 years. Fast 5:2 works for me along with exercise.

Thank you @michelinme for hosting May.

I’m in for May 2018, my 17th month with the challenges. I have been maintaining for 6 months and aim for 2 FDs per week. I also put in a minimum of 10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit. Weather permitting I walk/hike 4 miles every day and play golf two or three times a week.

I am 71 years old and am at my lowest weight in 45 years. Fast 5:2 works for me along with exercise.

Thank you @michelinme for hosting May.

I’m in thank you @michelinme which brings me up to 3 1/2 months on 5:2. I’m now going back to April so I can finish off the month with a woosh!!
    Cheers everyone!

Hello all!

Thanks Michelinme for hosting yet another fab and supportive month’s forum. No need to add me to the spreadsheet.

Just a head’s up that I might be quiet in the first week as I’ll be away on holidays and am planning on having such a good time that I’ll suspend 5:2 for a short while. I’ll be thinking of you all though, and ready to get firmly back on that wagon when I return.

I’m in for May! Hoping to start strong in May by meeting my April goal. April was all about getting the food thing under control. In May, I’d like to start adding more activity and am trying to decide about getting a Fitbit to track. It seems that might provide some helpful data. I’m excited to join you all and am so grateful for and appreciative of this wonderful group. Thank you @michelinme for hosting the challenge!

I’m in for May, I might even figure out a goal. I’ve been avoiding sugar for two years and fasting for about 1.7 years … no point in quitting now.

@onlyhermes … you should get an activity tracker, it will give you more data to crunch on. I’m headed to bed but my Garmin F3HR tells me I’m at 2845 calories for the day, 140 floors, 14603 steps or 9.4km. Ugh it cheats, didn’t count vertical distance when I was going up and down the floors. My heart rate is 65 bpm and my resting heart rate is 59 bpm … I must be getting out of shape. I did 24 minutes of intense activity today (it cheats me on that too) and I’ve done 108 intense minutes so far this week. I could keep going on but you get the idea! Hey I burned 6 calories while typing this!

Welcome on board the May challenge @steffieagle @merryapple @onlyhermes @dykask and @penz – have a lovely early May holiday

@cutegirl365 green highlight on the spreadsheet = maintenance so i’ve changed you to white as you’re aiming to lose weight. A thing I forgot to mention – there will be plenty more 😀

@borealis thank you enormously for looking after the spreadsheet this month 🙂

@michelinme – thanks for heading up May. Count me in 🙂

Hi!
    I am DiWantsThin.
    I’m in Canada and I already wrote a post that I can’t find. Oh well. I’m tech challenged!
    I’m just starting The Fast Diet. I’m starting with a Fast Day today (FD?). I’m hoping this system will work for me. I’d like to change everything about how I relate to food. I read Mosley’s The Fast Diet and I’m excited. The posts I read on this site are very inspiring!
    People sound like they track their steps. Is a Fitbit really worth it? I’m going to join a Dancercize class and do some weights starting next week. I’ve done Bikram Yoga for eight years and just quit because I was bored out of my skull. The heat helped my arthritic knees though.
    Some stats: I’m 55+ years old. I’m 5’6 1/2″ tall. Today I weigh 163.6 and I hope to get my weight down to 148 pounds. If I could lose a pound a week I should weigh 148 by August. Happy fasting everyone!

Hello Mayfolk– I’m just getting started in earnest with 5:2, though I’ve *intermittently* fasted for the last year or so, just enough to keep the sugar-sucking vampire alter ego at bay. At 55 years tomorrow and 200 lbs/ 90.7 kg, I’m here to rattle my own cage (and drop ten lbs/ 4.5 kg this month), despite my Abject Fear of Groups. Longer term, I’m aiming for 135 lbs/ 61 kg; I know it’s possible, because that’s where I was about 6 years ago, thanks to a restricted calorie way of life.

Day 0 Stevensville Maryland USA CFD

@michelinme Thank you for hosting this month.

Whew May is almost here. Really was going to give maintenance a start this month. Maybe 6:1 with 16:8 everyday.

With the new challenge of my brothers recent diagnose of cancer and kidney failure, I am not sure I want to change anything up at the moment.

As the end of April is fast approaching I am happy to say I started this WOL mid January and have now reached my goal weight. I am down 20lbs. This is the first time in 20+ years I have seen this weight.

Go be love, the world needs you. Have a great Thursday everyone.

Thanks for hosting the May Challenge @michelinme. I am in!

These challenges work wonders for me, I love the morning routine of a big cup of coffee and posting my daily update. I love all the hints and tips I have received on this forum (kefir, magnesium oil, to name but two), and I love catching up with everyone on this worldwide forum.

I started 5:2 in late July 2017 and I have lost 2 and a half stone, or well over 30 pounds. I have gone from a size 16 to a size 10. I have about 5 pounds to go before I reach ultimate goal, and that’s where the real challenge will be….to maintain it!!

But with this forum and the changed habits and mental attitude I now have towards food I am confident that I can do it. I have never been as healthy.

Catch up with you all on the 1st May ☺️🇮🇪

Thanks @michelinme for hosting May Challenge. I’m from Florida, US. I restarted this program the Middle of April. I have lost 4 pounds so far. I enjoy all types of art activities. I finally feel like I have my eating under control. This site has kept me honest with my eating habits. Looking forward to a great May.

Welcome to all the newbies! I have added a few of you to the spreadsheet (here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CNb1go2njG3xEQlkqcLwVYnkcptzymGD06Jw0kb9aJI/edit#gid=0 ) and moved those already in there into alphabetical order.
    It is my pleasure @michelinme – thank YOU so much for hosting! Very nice and informative opening post too🙂

I’m in for May. I got sidetracked in April with family responsibilities, so I’m making a fresh start in May.

@daffodil2010–I’m with you on the morning routine. I get my cup of coffee and read all the new posts. It really puts me in the right frame of mind for the day and I love to hear of everyone’s accomplishments and their stories.

Nice to see many newbies for May!

@michelinme, thanks for hosting the May Challenge and thanks @borealis for your help!

Hi everyone, my journey so far:

I’m Dutch, 61 years old and just retired. I never had any weight problems and always was a stable 56 kg until 6 years ago when I started a new job as a practice manager. My weight got more and more due to ice cream and sweets. I started January 2017 weighing 70,9 kg by cutting out sugar and most carbs. Started 5:2 at the beginning of February. From March on I joined the challenges. It worked very well, the weight just fell off, I reached my goal being 56 kg on March 29th 2017 and have maintained since then. I’m not a big poster, just too much to do. Retirement is great!

Just stick to the basic 5:2, it works and you don’t have to restrict yourself too much.

Good luck to all of you, together we can make this work!

Thanks from me, too, @michelinme. I loved your opening post (OP) – very comprehensive!

About me: I’m a 57yo female, 5’7.5″ tall, currently 165lb, BMI 25.5, WHR 47.5.

I’ve come a long way, but still have a way to go. At this time, my target is 150lb. This might seem heavy for someone of my height, but I do have a heavy build (compare my WHR to my BMI to see what I mean). When I get to 150lb I’ll reassess whether to maintain, or aim to lose more at that stage.

When I started back in November 2017, I was about 200lb, so it goes to show, THIS WOE REALLY WORKS! For the newbies, a warm welcome, and I echo @snowflake56‘s advice – just stick to the basic 5:2 – it’s simple to understand, flexible, safe and effective.

Good luck to everyone out there, and I look forward to sharing our stories in May!

I think I’ve been able to add myself to the spreadsheet? Although I just couldn’t figure out how to put myself in alphabetical order. Im Abop, I’m from Essex, England, I’m female and weigh 233lb. I have done 5:2 before and started a little lighter but not much and got down to 144lb, then I took a break, got pregnant and put it all back on again and more. Now it is time to crack on with 5:2 again. I’ve been back on it for a week and I’ve lost 7lb. My goal at the moment is just to lose weight and get my diet under control. I want to lose 10lb in May, I’m looking forward to being part of this monthly challenge x

Thank you, @michelinme. I did the first challenge with Coda, and enjoyed it very much. Ready for another. Do you mind if we enter our name on the spread sheet, but not our weight? I think I see others have done this? I broke the habit of weighing myself last year, and my life has improved. I am roughly the same size person I have been since I went through puberty 30 years ago; I got tired of measuring my worth on a 5 pound swing, up or down.

I am looking to improve leanness, and decrease some unhealthy fat around my mid section, as well as improve my strength. Need some motivation right now, so I am looking forward to this very much. Thank you!

Welcome to the May Challenge old friends and new 🙂

@annemarilyn @diana123 @daffodil2010 @kaywesterman @borealis @hyacinth @snowflake56 @fatfingers – It’s wonderful to have such a rich mix of fresh starts, continuing progress, new focus and steady maintenance. And there’s nothing like knowing how it’s worked, shared stories of difficult times and handy hints to encourage us all along the way

@diwantsthin some people do use Fitbits or apps to track steps, time exercise etc. I’m sure others will be along & happy to share experience

@antikjo hope you feel right at home; join in as much or as little as you like

@abop no worries – the wonderful @borealis will tidy up the spreadsheet – we’re sharing our skills and tag-teaming the May challenge 🙂

@enzo the spreadsheet is yours to use or ignore. Some people use the spreadsheet, others just the forum’s tracker; some use an app, a journal or a piece of paper on the fridge. Other people stay away from scales altogether and go by how clothes fit or how they feel. Please do whatever works well for you

Welcome back to old friends @mjrbcd44 and @basyjames 🙂

Hi!
    Yesterday was my first FD. I had my usual morning shake with blueberries, an apple, a banana and a scoop of protein powder. It probably totals 300 calories, but I didn’t have time to figure it out. I took clear veggie broth in a thermos, two tubs of baby carrots and two apples to work. I consumed most of it. For the evening meal, I had a small portion of turkey, lots of veges and a few bites of chow mein noodles. My Weight Watchers points would call it 10-12 points as all fruits and veges are considered 0 points.
    My calorie count for the day was probably above the 500 calories, but I just wanted to see what would happen. I was pleased to see a pound come off today.
    I am 5′ 6 1/2″ tall. I’m 55+ years old. I weighed 163.6 yesterday and today I weigh 162.6. Tonight I have a dinner to go to with wine and tomorrow I have a breakfast meeting. I’ll see how that goes.
    How do I get to the spreadsheet?
    Have a healthy day, everyone!

I found the link for the spreadsheet above! Yay!

Hi I am 64 and had a bit a of wake up call at the doctors last month weighed in at 84Kg I am now down to 79kg so very pleased with my progress. I have not started the FD yet but have signed up for the May challenge. I think the discipline of 2 fast days will be really good for me. I work from home and the fridge always seems to be calling “open me”! I bought some scales for the first time in years. I have increased my walking pace as well as my weekly mileage which is also helping. I am planning to “dust” off my rowing machine tomorrow and use this for some more intensive short workouts. Good luck to all.

Hi plan to move over to the May challenge on Tuesday. Have downloaded the spreadsheet and will complete with weight and May goal. Looking forward to continuing this amazing journey with this great forum!

Hello and welcome@calamityfarm and @mia138

Hope you have a successful May challenge!

Welcome to the May challenge @calamity farm and @mia139. Hope you have a good month

I’m a newbie! So I’m definitely in.

Count me in @michelinme and thank you for hosting.

We had a fantastic April 2018 and for me my first whoosh. This month will be FD month. Last month was plank challenge month.

Welcome @juciejoyce58, @calamity farm and @mia139. Its a Fantabulbous group you join.

For info I am a 64 year old recently abused and divorced wife who is now 43lbs down with a further 7lbs to go plus an optional 5lbs. Now in the normal range of weight to height but weight loss is very very slow now, struggling to loose even 1lb per month, so a whoosh of 4.4lbs is so so thrilling for me. It’s a year since I started on 28 May 2017. Must update my profile.

Mari

Warm welcome to our newest newbie @juciejoyce58 and to @rainbowsmile – fresh from a fabulous April Challenge. Hope we have an equally succesful May 🙂

I’m in for May!
    My name is Kirsty and I am 34years old from Manchester in the Uk. I have never done the 5:2 diet before and have decided to do it now to lose a few pounds for my holiday in June, and also to challenge myself.
    I try to be active and i am slim but struggle to lose that stubborn bellly fat. I am 5ft 7inches and weigh about 10st 4lbs. I am looking at fasting on Mondays and either Wednesdays or Thursdays.
    I am a little nervous so any tips/advice is welcome. Currently looking up food ideas for 500 cal days.

Hello, I’m in for May please, I am a 2nd timer on the 5:2 diet after trying about 4 years ago. I put about 3 stone since last Spring after rebounding on a 2 stone weight loss In 2016. I’ve been heavy for a long time and feel the need to finally forget the weight issues,and get rid of the brain fog,lethargy and loss of motivation. Thankyou everyone.

@targetskinnyminnie & @abi73 welcome to the May Challenge 🙂 I hope you both have a great month

here’s a link to some 5:2 basics https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

and a whole folder of posts with ideas about food inc recipes
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/forum/food/recipes/

Have a browse around the forum, and ask away if you’ve got a specific question. We’ll be blessed with wonderful wisdom once we all gather to challenge May 🙂

Well that’s me in! Just started. New to this. New to forums too 😊 First fasting day tomorrow. Fingers crossed this goes well.

Welcome to the May Challenge @targetskinnyminnie & @abi73 – you are added to the May spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CNb1go2njG3xEQlkqcLwVYnkcptzymGD06Jw0kb9aJI/edit#gid=1420570971
    and good luck on your first FD tomorrow @juciejoyce58 ! I just moved your name up into alphabetical order on the spreadsheet🙂

Hi everyone,
    I live on the east coast of Australia, in NSW, and enjoy feeling a whole lot healthier, and being much more energetic, since starting this WOL 7 months ago! I’m a young 65, currently 76.9kg on 30 April 2018 (91.8kg nearly 4 years ago) – aiming for 65kg, with first major stop 75kg (did get to 74.8kg in April, alas, just returned from an enjoyable 9 days holiday on Fraser Island). I lost 10kg in the 3 1/2 years prior to starting 5:2 on 1 October 2017, just being fairly sensible.
    Looking forward to all the great advice and support this friendly forum has to offer.
    So glad I found this way of eating!
    Thank you @michelinme for hosting May 😃
    All enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,075 total)

You must be logged in to reply.