March for Me – monthly challenge

This topic contains 307 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  jaifaim 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 306 total)

• Welcome to March for Me, this month’s challenge for 2024.

This month I encourage you to focus on YOU. So many of us will drop anything to help out a friend, will go above and beyond for a loved one, will give our all if someone asks. But we often forget to look after ourselves.

So this month, give yourself permission to be a little selfish, and prioritise YOUR health and well-being. Work out your goals for the month, and stick with them for 31 days. Future you on day 31 will thank current you on day 1!

If you’re new to these monthly challenges, or would like a refresher, please read the next post. Otherwise, jump on in!

By way of background, these monthly challenges have been going regularly since May 2016 when @coda started them. We all have an aim in joining 5:2, whether that’s to lose weight, maintain weight or just to adopt a healthy way of eating. Whatever your goal, it can sometimes appear unattainable or overwhelming when viewed as a whole. By breaking your end goal down into small achievable pieces (like our monthly challenges), we are able to stay focused and motivated to accomplish our goals one step at a time.

There is only one “rule” in this forum (see below!) but here are some general guidlelines on how we operate:

1. Posting – Please start each post with the day of the month, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re located all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting with us on a particular day etc. Look at the various posts, and you’ll soon see the pattern, and will learn how useful it is for reading. Science has shown that public commitment to a goal improves accountability and posting daily is a great way to achieve this

2. In your first post, introduce yourself to the group – this helps us to get to know each other, especially for newbies. You could say something about where you started, journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from fasting. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month. But you don’t have to – share only what you are comfortable sharing online.

3. Spreadsheet – we have a spreadsheet available: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16pI6cvUNbjOwEvFDGhbPDkQHD9lLGMYAhkuaKtDqPfQ/edit?usp=sharing It is in alphabetical order by username. If you find it helpful, you can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. And if you need help just ask – there’s always someone happy to help. Again, you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to. It’s just another tool you can use if you choose. (And thanks to @nerryapple and @at who have the tech know-how to drive the spreadsheet when it goes off the rails!)

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long and chatty. If you’re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post eg Day 1 second post.

5. Content of your post– Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. Remember: we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. So DON’T GIVE UP – whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity.

7. Pocket lists –A ‘pocket list’ is a list of the names of people who are sharing the same goal on a particular day. It’s great psychological support in mentally keeping that list in our back pocket (it started as a literal list tucked in a pocket), knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list. Typical pocket lists are for FD but in the past they’ve been used for people doing daily exercise or planks, or DTF (dry till Friday).

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

9. The “rule”. The F word is not allowed!! (This is the only time I will use it – but here, the F word is FAIL.). We all stumble in our journey – it happens. But acknowledge it, think about that you can do next time, and continue. We’re all here to help!

I’m the host for this month and I will log in daily* to read every post. (*I’ve got a long weekend away in the middle of the month for a family reunion so please forgive me if I miss a few days.)

We tend to use a LOT of abbreviations in these posts. Here’s a guide to some of the more frequently used ones:
    5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
    16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
    AF – Alcohol-free
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ’til Fri (no wine, beer, etc.)
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce had an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

@penz – thanks for hosting “March for Me” – very apt tittle for where I’m at in my fasting journey!!

@merryapple – thanks for the spreadsheet – can you change access from view only so we can fill in our lines 🤗

I’ll be posting in tomorrow

Day 0 – USA/GA

Thanks @penz for hosting March. Well, I am ready to move my weight in the right direction instead of stagnate and deal with tiny upward bumps that have pushed my weight upwards 15 lbs or so in the last two years. That makes my total weight loss closer to 65 lbs instead of my original 80, but I want to make it over 100 lbs to get to a healthy weight! Steady but surely wins the race, but I need to face the right direction first haha!!

Day 0. 2/29/24. Happy Leap Year! Hi everyone… I am in Florida , where it is already starting to get warm! I loved the cooler weather. So I love the idea of this monthly challenge, I had done fast diet years ago ( and it worked!) Recently gained by slacking way off , eating whatever whenever…. so after weeks of being mad at myself, I remembered the Fast 800 book I had! Reread and reread it for inspiration and now it’s been 2 weeks, going on 3…. I dont weigh but I feel slightly less weight in the midsection. Could be wishful thinking. When I did fast diet before, it was at the month or 6 week mark that I really saw the weight loss. So I am hopeful.
    I think this challenge will help me stay inspired!
    We can do it , little steps at a time literally!

Yay NorthGeorgia!

Day 0 Rural Nebraska, USA

A big welcome to you, @opal_shine! We are from all over the world, and learn all sorts of fascinating details about other cultures even as we’re working to faithfully follow a 5:2 regimen, so I do hope you’ll stick with us and get to know everyone and enjoy the journey with us!

I’ll be here in March, and thanks so much, @penz, for hosting us!!

USA

Thanks,Penz, for agreeing to lead us through March! :). See you all in March!

Day 1, NFD, Aus

Hello everyone! I love day 1. Full of such anticipation and promise!

I’m Penz, married with two Australian Cattle Dogs, living in Canberra, the nation’s capital. I started 5:2 in 2017 – when I follow it I lose weight, and when I don’t, the weight comes back on. (It’s really simple when you think about it!) This year, I’m on leave from work so it’s a great time to focus on me and commit to this WOL.

My goal this month is lose a kilo per week. I know this is ambitious but it IS possible. I will do this by being DTF (except fortnightly pub trivia and our family long weekend away); 2 WFDs per week (Mondays and Wednesdays); and exercise (daily walking the dogs and weight/core training at least three days a week). There! I’ve said it!

Welcome Opal Shine! I used to live in Tampa – where are you?

Sending thoughts and virtual hugs across the Tasman to you @merryapple.

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@penz – thanks so much for hosting the March Challenge 🙏

About me:- David, 62, originally from Manchester, England. Retired & living in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Been 5:2-ing/IF-ing since 2014. I joined the Challenges in 2018. Currently maintaining, 68.7 kgs/BMI 21.2. I do basic 5:2, having around 600 – 700 cals on FDs – one evening meal – and I have an eating window of around 12 noon to 8/8:30 pm on NFDs.

@merryapple – thinking of you & sending you a virtual hug 🤗 Well done on the 1.5 kg loss for Fit Feb 💪

@jaifaim – I know?! Can you imagine suddenly being whisked back to the 17th century? No lecky, plumbing, amazon.com? 😱 We’re so spoiled, I can’t even cope with a dodgy wifi signal 😅

@opal-shine welcome to the Challenges!

@stitchincarol – ‘Pure, White & Deadly’ by John Yudkin. He was ahead of his time, he wrote that book in ’72!

Wishing everyone a successful ‘March for Me’ 🎯

Day 1 UK NFD

@penz thanks for setting up the March challenge.

I am a 65 year old female, I lost 30 pounds on 5:2 and reached ‘ideal’ weight in 2018 but struggled with maintenance during stressful times resulting in 20 pounds regained. Working on getting back to my best healthy weight, still considering what that will be as it was difficult to maintain the lowest weight I achieved 🤔 I restarted 5:2 during the second week of the February challenge weighing 152 lbs, today I weigh 148, I am pleased with that as both DH and I celebrated our birthdays in February. BMI is just within the healthy range at 24.7

@merryapple virtual hug from me too 🤗

Day 1, London, UK, NFD

It’s a quick one from me as I’m flat out at work, so I’ll have to do a longer intro later or tomorrow!

Welcome to the challenge @opal-shine, you’re in great company!! 👏🏼

@funshipfreddie & @stitchincarol, can you imagine where we would be if we took notice of “Pure, White & Deadly” in ’72???? A lot thinner I expect!!😬😬

@merryapple, thinking of you today 💕🐶💕

Must dash, thanks for hosting @penz, this month I’m going to stick by your side -2lbs/week WILL be my target!!💪🏼💪🏼

Onward & downwards folks!!

“The power of community to create health is far greater than any physician, clinic or hospital.” – Mark Hyman

Hello All, FD x 2 been following for a couple of years (starting and stopping for various reasons)but back on it properly since the beginning of year.
    Got addicted to weighing myself then getting frustrated with no weight loss but the cm measurements slowly going the right way so trying not to focus just on the weights.
    Need to do more exercise admit that 🙂 menopause belly doesn’t help but sticking with mission.

Day 1 – Ireland – NFD – 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾
    155.5lbs

Hello all and happy new start! Don’t we love it.
    Thanks @penz you are a star ⭐️ for taking over the mantle and thank you @stitchincarol for getting us this far. ⭐️

First of all…. @merryapple I hope you are ok – thinking of you 💕🐶💕

Woke feeling a bit off but feeling better after a little bit of a walk.. strange weather conditions here today with very isolated snow showers… and super cold rain…

Delighted to see that I’m back down a little after all that despair 😂😂 (I know there are bigger things to worry about in this world and with so much sadness and dreadful news these days but it’s just so frustrating when you are doing the right things) of the past few weeks.. I just don’t get it but I’m taking this little win. Bobbing around but as some of you have said at least I’m still nearly there and it hasn’t been a case of radical gains.. oh to know the workings of my wonderful body 🤔😂

Hello @opalshine and @emma_hedgehogs – good to have you here. Please read @penz’ very helpful intro so that you can follow our abbreviations and guide to posting. 👍

Too true @flourbaby – we are all supporting each other – better than any doctor and so much to learn here 👍

Bravo @calicocat! With two birthdays that’s a real success!

@funshipfreddie hope you have a much better month in March! Our Health is our wealth!

My intro for the new folk:

The first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase 😂 since. Sometimes it’s hard to do but you fall off and you just climb back on again… 🧗‍♂️

My name is a little play on words as I am a french speaker so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain…it makes me smile 😊

I recently reached my ideal weight (155 lbs) but maintenance is hard and I’ve bobbed up again after holidays and some illness etc. I’ll get to 155lbs again this month and ideally down to 152 this year – then bob between 152 and 155lbs forever and ever. 💪

I love being outdoors even in our lovely Irish weather and cycle, walk, swim in the sea. I so some strength work too but that’s fallen by the wayside in the past few months.

I’m stay away from alcohol 🚫 so “on the dry” and have reduced added sugars ✅ and eat gluten free 🌾 because of intolerance symptoms – headaches.

I have two auto immune conditions and the above foods definitely cause flare ups… along with hormone deficiencies now due to my age. My little icons help me to stick to clean nutrition.

But….. life is for living and like others I tend to have one blowout (EFS) day a week where I might have crisps etc

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 UK CD

Thanks @penz for leading us this month , I’ve decided on my monthly goals and raring to go 💪

Very pleased with this mornings weigh in down 6lbs last month so 15 so far this year and nearing my goal 😇

Welcome @emma_hedgehogs and @opal-shine 👋 I post on my phone so not usually too lengthy , but I do love reading and hearing from our global community

Bit about me – 62F living on south coast of England with DH

Been putting on and getting rid of the same 20lb most of my adult life , found these challenges and been fairly successful but life gets in the way , I get too complacent and back to square one

Had a shock health issue last year , and thankfully after some fairly gruelling treatment now have a clean bill of health and it’s given me the motivation to ensure I’m as fit and healthy as I can be. I kickstarted the year with 2 weeks on the fast 800 and have now relaxed to 3:4 – f800 through the week and aim to make good choices at the weekend but with a few treats 🥂🍺 and so far it’s working well , looking forward to our March adventure

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Good FD500 yesterday, but no match for the two days of noshing that caught up with me, resulting in only a pound drop. Next FD will be Sunday. I heard doughnuts are being brought to the Saturday community service event. If they’re Dunkin’ or some stale supermarket variety, I will be able to resist. If they’re Krispy Kreme, I’m in trouble. The later is unlikely, so if it goes well, Saturday could be a TRE day 🙂

USA. Day 1. FD

A new month and a new beginning!

I didn’t see a pocket list, so I shall start one.

Day 1. Pocket list

@ccco

Have a great day! 🙂

Hi Penz
    Yes I am in Tampa Bay area, in North Pinellas county about 30 mins to Clearwater. I lived in Los Angeles a long time before moving back here to be closer to my family.

This challenge is motivating. Thanks for doing it

Day 1 from Tampa Bay area Florida USA. warmish overcast ( yay I love overcast and or rainy days) ; I have been semi struggling with the fast 800, which has been more like fast 1000 on many days but it has been teaching me about portions… Today I am going to drink more water and take breaks to move more during day ( I work at home at a desk)
    I do recall when I did the original fast diet which was I believe 500-600 cals on fast days? I did 800 those 2 days a week and the plan still worked for me…I like how it’s not a rigid rigid thing. We can play around with it to find what works best for each of us.

CalicoCat that is great!

Day 1 – UK – NFD

@penz – Thank you for coming forward to lead our challenge this month – loving your tittle and I need and will be aiming to make “March for Me”

I had a good FD yesterday after the 🍕🍷🍧 indulgence the day before that…..and tonight OH is taking me out for a Taster Menu at one of our Michelin ⭐️ restaurants so definitely a NFD but I will be aiming for good control over the weekend

Weighed in this morning at exactly where I started February at 62.7kg/138lbs/9st 12lbs, I am not too unhappy about that as February was an indulgent month with little fasting apart from the 3 days in the last week so I need to make “March for Me” and start that downward trend that I have aiming for, for some months now

For any newbies joining us
    I am a 65y.o. (soon to be 66 🫣) female living with my OH, we have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    I retired in December 2013 and moved to the Lake District – best decision we ever made – OH and I love our new life here!
    In my retirement discovered a love for exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered over 9 years ago and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Pilates, Aerobics and Hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ and in my spare time do some volunteering in my local community
    I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 as I was fed up with being overweight and wanted to get fitter! I decided to join the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and managed to reach maintenance in early December 2016 with the help of the lovely people here offering great support and advice 🤗
    Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs and have managed to remain in maintenance range until this past year or so when I have struggled

I saw a friend recently that I haven’t seen since my initial weight loss when I dropped down to around 53kg/117lbs/8st 5lbs and she said she was so glad to see that I had put some weight back on…..as she had been worried about me……I looked back at photos and had to agree that I looked a bit gaunt so don’t want to get that low again but ideally would love to get back to under the 57kg/126lbs/9st mark…..

@emma_hedgehogs and @opal-shine – a big welcome to the challenges to you 👋
    @merryapple – thinking of you today 🐶💕
    @calicocat – February was a real success for you with 2 birthday celebrations as well
    @brightonbelle – 15lbs loss this year so far 👏 well done you and that target is definitely in sight
    @northgeorgia – you have the will power to avoid those doughnuts – keep in mind your reasons for wanting to loss the weight and focus on that

Had a lovely, dry, if chilly walk with my regular walking 🥾 group this morning, covering 5.67mile/9.12km – great company and lots of chat on the way round 🤗

My personal motto since reaching maintenance has been “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. and when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 159.4

Yup, one of the lowest numbers I’ve seen in months. Any food at all in me will send it back up, but having only a little food won’t send it far. Thus, I’m thinking over my day and my disciplined-self is negotiating hard with my indulgent-self as to what I’ll eat and when. No deal has yet been made…

@penz Thanks so much for hosting March for Me! Wow, a kilo each week? Okay, so tell us: when is your first time of weight/core training to be?

@funshipfreddie Yup, I knew you were very likely to remember the book!

@calicocat How excellent that your journey is to take you to a lower healthy weight rather than struggling even to get to healthy; I’m both envious and delighted for you!

@flourbaby Just imagine, indeed. I really loved being the kind of mom who baked cookies regularly and had them ready for my kids when they got home from school…to rethink that, and frame it as “I was giving my kids hideously dangerous sugar” is a massive struggle for me, and I’m not ready to relinquish as being lovely. I think, in the end, while I have to control sugar for weight, I’m willing to live a shorter life in order to have lovely desserts occasionally! 🤷🏻‍♀️🥳

@emma_hedgehogs Welcome! I’m a constant weigher myself, and what I’ve learned over the years (decades, actually) is that I can gain 3 lbs in a day but then lose it overnight, so while I never know precisely what I weigh, I also know gaining a chunk of weight doesn’t necessarily mean anything of significance. Where are you located? Don’t neglect to read the introductory post showing how we ask all participants to head their posts. 😉

@jaifaim I love seeing that you’re SO CLOSE to goal weight! It truly is making no sense, as you say, but at least you’re close, and I’m certain you’ll eventually drop! Perhaps you need loads and loads of low-calorie veggies so that your body is tricked into thinking you’ve had lots of food so it’ll be willing to give up some fat?? I think this was addressed a bit in The Obesity Code. Maybe. Anyone else remember?

@brightonbelle And you’re another who’s close to goal weight; what a marvelous accomplishment!!!

@northgeorgia On November 13, 2021, it was our church’s turkey supper where we feed 500+ meals, and I was at church working on stuff, and someone had brought a huge container of blueberry donut holes. I probably had close to two dozen over the course of the morning. Yup. They’re a treat I adore, even as I acknowledge they’re not actually that good, but I kept eating them hoping the next one would taste as good as the first one. They never did. Today, I still regret eating them. Various treats are reasonable–Date Nut Swirls at Christmas, for example–but those were nothing more than an abuse to my body. Does considering how you’ll feel about those donuts a day, or a week, or two and a half years later help put them in their proper place?

@at Have a lovely dinner at the Michelin star restaurant!

@opal-shine Yeah, that’s one of the things I also adore about the 5:2 program, is that it has wriggle room for adjusting it to fit our bodies and our lives.

@ccco You are impressive that you fast every single Friday!

@merryapple I’ve been thinking of you and your loss of Mr Mac. I hope the wake last night was comforting to get past the first initial sorrow. Cyber hugs to you, honey.

This is already plenty long, but I suppose I should do an intro for the newbies: Carol, 65, married to a pastor who’s retiring 12/31/24, myself an organist, choir director, and church office secretary, and piano teacher. I’ve been worryingly thin (a BMI of under 19, but I felt good, and I was early 20s) and disgustingly heavy (166 was my highest) and got down to 137 in May 2022–and have put it almost all back on and am starting all over again. I’ll do better this time.

Two weeks ago I said DH and I would be going to the Fish Fry just down the street at the Legion Hall, and then we had an abrupt change of plan and I cooked and we had a friend over. Last week was also supposed to be there, but the day got away from us and we knew we wouldn’t be home in time, so we ate out in Lincoln. Is the third time the charm?? I pledge only one thing about food today: no dessert and only three potato chips. I know I can pull that off, so that should put a reasonable limit on total calories.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 1. Pocket list
    @ccco

Second post
    @brightonbelle I am so very impressed!!! -15lbs since the start of the year… just wow! ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Day 2, NFD, Aus

An overcast day today with the promise of rain. I hope it delivers because it’s been hot and muggy lately! But you can keep your snow showers @jaifaim.

Yesterday: dog walk done. Tick. Red wine and pizza night; ‘nuff said.

Welcome @emma_hedgehogs. I love your handle! Are you in the UK, perchance?

Clutching your hand, @flourbaby. We CAN and WILL do this!

@northgeorgia: “only” a pound drop is still a pound gone! Success!

@brightonbelle – wow, you are my inspiration today!

@at – ending the month at the same weight as starting is good. Hope you enjoyed your Michelin meal out; I’m most envious.

Thanks for the prod, @stitchincarol. Once I’ve finished posting, I’m off to do a core workout. I’ve discovered a (free) app that has a huge range of instructor led videos of all sorts of workouts (HIIT, strength, stretching, abs etc) at various lengths (10 mins upwards). I’m hopeless at self-initiated exercise, but I find this app to be quite good.

Day 1 NFD – USA (Illinois)

Alive and well – too busy with details of life, but hanging in there at high maintenance. I do read posts every so often, and do think about you all. We are planning for move-in to new house April 1, provided house is virtually done.

Onward and downward.

second post

@penz Do share what app you like?

@songbirdme I’ve been thinking about you and wondering how close your new house is to completion! The day after Easter, eh? Well THAT won’t be busy at all, will it??? ❤️

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@emma_hedgehogs – welcome to the forum!

@northgeorgia – Krispy Kreme, I get it 😱. Fortunately for me, they haven’t opened a branch yet in my province, & I hope it stays that way 😳

@brightonbelle – wow, go you?! 15 lb down so far this year! 👏

@flourbaby – the only things I was reading voluntarily in ’72 were the Beano, Whizzer & Chips & Enid Blyton’s ‘Famous Five’ books 😅

@stitchincarol – hoping you get to wave goodbye to the 160’s for good! 🎯

@at – ‘soon to be 66’ – Orpa, one of the residents in the retirement village where I stay, turns 105 tomorrow! 🎂

More about UPFs
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13141059/The-revolting-reason-cheap-ice-cream-takes-long-melt-Just-one-alarming-discoveries-turned-DR-CHRIS-VAN-TULLEKEN-ultra-processed-food-good-reveals-book-cares-health-read.html

New study re benefits of fasting ‘beyond weight loss’.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13146507/Fasting-DOES-major-benefits-theres-one-major-caveat-deal-breaker-people.html

Have a great weekend everyone 🌤 🌈

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 228 lbs. Gak! And TRE is already sabotaged. Mom found out about my early day and has a surprise breakfast. Well, on the good side, it should somewhat mitigate any mid-day snacking. Yeah, I got to get out of the February blahs and into my January mindset. It’s going to be a difficult month with tons of interruptions, but it’s what I do on NFDs that determines my success!

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD – 162.8

That debate yesterday between indulgent-self and disciplined-self? Yeah, the report from the scale makes it clear who won. That seems to be my Friday pattern that I’ve yet to succeed in breaking (which is why I find your consistent Friday FDs so astonishing, @ccco!), so for the second Saturday in a rowy, it’s my plan to be exceedingly controlled today. To that end, I’ll allow myself 200 calories between now and 7pm, and then I’ll enjoy @penz‘s egg and bacon pie I’m making this afternoon, and wine will be allowed (but not beer) and no sugar treats (I have a very small stash in the house that has so far been enjoyed with appropriate restraint). That is my pledge to you all. And, @penz, I know the idea is that we make pledges to ourselves in our March For Me challenge, but I’m not quite there, so I’m starting with you all. 👍

I got a new toy for Christmas to assist in sewing straight diagonal seams (a laser light that casts a precisely aimed line), and finally got it installed, and started on the first giraffe this morning of new grandbaby’s quilt. When its head was all assembled and ironed flat, I showed it to DH and he burst out laughing in delight, quite astonished that all those different size square pieces of fabrics, some sewn straight, some sewn on the diagonal, could truly turn into a giraffe’s head. That’s the kind of reaction that makes quilting so much fun! I have a long way to go, but have learned some tricks in this little start that will speed up the rest of the first giraffe and then the other five, so I’m on my way!

@brightonbelle I add my awe and congratulations at 15 pounds lost so far this year; I was dumbfounded when I read that, but somehow didn’t think to SAY so until I read @jaifaim‘s and @funshipfreddie‘s comments–TRULY impressive, lady!

@merryapple Thinking of you still…

Okay, I have giraffes to sew, LOL! Have a grand one, everyone, and I may or may not be posting tomorrow and our elder son is coming up tonight and will be here for much of the day tomorrow. I’ll certainly be back on Monday, and hopefully with good news to report!

USA. Day 2. FD

Yes, I try to fast everyday at about 800 calories per day. Hunger wise it is not hard for me to do that but in the evening, even though I am supposed to stop eating at 5 p.m. (intermittent fasting), I still have problems wit stress eating. I hope that when Spring comes, I will be better able to conquer this issue by going for a walk after dinner. Today, so far, my day is going well.

I am starting to revise my exercise plans, which disappeared with Covid. I wish I had at least continued some of those exercises during Covid because now it is a lot harder to get back in the groove (and I have aged 4 more years)!

I love the articles you send us, FUNSHIPFREDDIE. I always read them!

I love your new sewing toy, stitchincarol. That would have been very helpful back in the day when I did a lot of sewing (pre-arthritis)! I do help my daughter by altering my grandson’s school uniforms when needed. I love being able to help the family!

I will need to read that debate about self-indulgence and self-discipline from yesterday. I was reading a newspaper article the other day about self-discipline is not really the issue in dieting. I didn’t really capture the meaning behind it, except I think it was promoting our bodily functions changes when we try to diet. This dialogue now is about how Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mountjaro help us lose weight. It is interesting. I guess Oprah Winfrey’s use of one of these drugs to lose weight, her departure from The WW board, and her donation of all her WW stock does indicate the direction weight loss is going. We will see if our insurance companies begin to cover the cost by regarding obesity as a medical problem in and of itself.

Anyway, I have go to go label my grandson’s new golf clubs to make sure he doesn’t lose them. I can’t wait to get out there with him! 🙂

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Day 3, NFD, Aus

A bit quiet in the forum overnight.

It’s called FitOn, @stitchincarol. And a pledge to us IS a pledge to yourselves.’

There was a little donut store in Tampa, @northgeorgia that had bacon and maple syrup donuts. They, I could not resist. Krispy Kremes? No problem avoiding.

I heard a good quote yesterday. It was along the lines of doing something until you’ve built up sufficient proof to yourself that you can do it. So, start doing those FDs and being mindful on NFDs. Then look back at your success and think, Yes! I can do this!

How do you label golf clubs, @ccco? If it’s too cold/dark to get outside for a post 5pm walk, would walking with Lesley (or something similar) do the trick instead?

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@penz – bacon & maple syrup?! Urgh! 😱

@ccco – I’m glad you like the articles. This one is very brief, about the possible benefits of taking a fibre supplement to protect against cognitive decline – https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13147587/daily-supplement-ageing-population-brain.html
    That’s an interesting statement – “self-discipline is not really the issue in dieting”. I would’ve thought it had everything to do with it. But not, I suppose, if it’s being replaced by a drug. There’ll be a pill for everything soon. We’re almost there. Pills to sleep, to wake up, to be happy, to enhance athletic performance, to relax.. What a way to live 🤔

Happy S🌞nday!

“Self-discipline begins with the mastery of your thoughts. If you don’t control what you think, you can’t control what you do.” ~ Napoleon Hill

Pocket List – Day 3 🥦
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 3. NFD UK
    Hi all. First Post here and First time trying IF. Lifelong yoyo dieter, desperate to find a way to lose weight and keep it off.

Just returned from 3 months In Thailand and have put on 10lbs!!! Before travelling I lost 21lbs by calorie counting/light exercise and found using a tracking app really worked as I could plan my meals and keep myself accountable which appears to be what I need. So I’m going to continue using the app (it has a function for 5:2 tracking).

Tomorrow will be my first FD. I’m going to make a Thai chicken/veg soup to keep me going through the day.

Wish me luck!!

Day 2 & 3 Ireland – NFD – 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

@merryapple thinking of you 💕🐶💕

Hello @woosoo – great to have you here. 👍

@stitchincarol I’ve succumbed to some temptations this weekend in the guise of sugary foods that I couldn’t say no to and am already regretting as my brain is fuzzy… and I’m sure it will affect the scales but you know what.. at the time I really wanted them.. and it’s been a tough weekend so I am going easy on myself.. but.. I wish I could bottle this feeling of me telling myself “I told you so” 😉

Great to see you @songbirdme 💕💕 and @at 💕💕 I hope you enjoyed your meal! It’s a tricky one for a friend to comment on any weight gain but isn’t it good to have someone who is honest with you? We all need a friend like that – sounds to me like you don’t have that far to go to get back to your ideal range 💪

@penz I’ve never heard of a donut with bacon and maple but knowing me I’d need to try it once if I could… luckily gluten foods are off the menu for me so that takes that choice away. It is quiet here for sure…

@funshipfreddie lots of chat here in our media about shortages of medications to aid weight loss (as @ccco mentioned) and used in treatment of diabetes… so that now those who really need it for medical reasons can’t source it 🤔 – can’t help wondering if we are going down the right track with these advances ….

I am having a busy weekend with mum where we have entered a new phase with mum’s Alzheimer’s and the care we provide so we are trying to work out how best to manage while keeping mum at home. But I’m having a very lovely weekend with her and special times continue.💕💕 Very little exercise but having said that it has all been quite physical and time enough for outdoor fun during the week.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 229 lbs. Walk of shame! I overdid it last week. Despite the breakfast sabotage, I avoided the doughnuts yesterday. I did invite my mom to lunch, but it was smoked pork and Brunswick stew — quite safe and filling. But then it went awry by evening with snacking and noshing and even into the late evening, I thought to myself, oh…have the hot chocolate now; tomorrow’s a fast day, after all — I know it’s late and I’m not really hungry, but wouldn’t it be nice? Tsk, tsk. Completely wrong mindset.

At yesterday’s community event, I met someone who was having success with her OMAD strategy. I need to revisit that on my NFDs. When I think back to last year, during the month of grief when I had suspended 5:2 temporarily — people had brought by lots of food. But in those horrible times, we didn’t really feel like eating. I do remember I was eating once a day; maybe twice a day on some occasions, and never a huge plate worth. I must be more sensible! My jeans are telling me that!! Uff… In other words, @penz I need to do exactly as you said!

I have lots of chores to get my house into shape today, so it’s a perfect WFD. I will also plan on a FD tomorrow, too.

Pocket List – Day 3 🥦
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

day 3-No. VA USA-NFD

Hello to fellow fasters. Well, this morning I got a somewhat horrifying profile view in the mirror while trying on some clothes. OOOOOnooooooo! Oh well, moment of honesty. Helps to get back in focus. Tomorrow will be a fast day, for sure (today can just be controlled eating, as the clothes incident happened after some morning snacks.)

Thank you Penz, for hosting.

USA. Day 3. FD

Pocket List – Day 3 🥦
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

Welcome, WooSoo! Good luck tomorrow on your first fast day tomorrow!

Penz, my club puts on my labels, along with the name of my club. I have a name tag on my bag and a gold strip just below the grip of each club. My grandson is not quite 5 yet, so I had to make my own. During Spring break, he will be playing golf and tennis in our Pee Wee Spring Break camp. I am looking forward to playing with him. So much fun with a funny little guy!

FUNSHIPFREDDIE, as soon as I finish here, I will be reading that article! 👍

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. It finally stopped raining here and the temperature is up to the mid 60s(F).

Day 3 UK NFD

Had a very busy and enjoyable weekend as had old friends that we haven’t seen in 30 years visiting, well deserved quiet day today back on f800 next week See ya on the list tomorrow

Day 4, FD, Aus

I know, @funshipfreddie, bacon and maple syrup. I could never have contemplated such a flavour combination would be palatable before hand but I think it says a lot about how my tastes changed while I lived in the States (all that corn syrup). Well done, @northgeorgia on swerving the donuts.

Welcome @woosoo! Sounds like you are on the path to success; you know calorie counting and exercise works for you, and adding 5:2 will be the finishing touch to help you reach your goal. It’s great to have you join our group.

Glad you’ve been kind to yourself, @jaifaim. That’s all part of looking after YOU this month. Hope the coming week is kinder to you than the weekend.

That mirror of yours sounds cruel, @excelsior12309. But channel that response into positive action!

Thanks for the explanation, @ccco. How cute you’ll be playing golf with your grandson! I can only imagine how small his clubs are!

How lovely to catch up with old friends after decades, @brightonbelle. Did you pick up where you’d left off all those years ago?

Monday morning is a great time to check in with yourself, (re)focus on your goals and act now for your future self. How is everyone going?

Day 4 pocket list:
    @woosoo
    @northgeorgia (if I read your post right, this will be B2B for you?)
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 69.2 kg

Had a good Sunday FD, followed by a ’87’ sleep score, so a good start to the week 🎯

@woosoo – welcome to 5:2 & to the forum. No luck required for a successful fast day though – just a little planning and plenty of RESOLVE 💪

@penz – The things I used to see on the Lido decks of the Carnival ships I worked on during meal times?! 😱 Shocking. Why make multiple trips to the buffet, when you can just pile everything onto one big plate? Lasagne, fries, ice cream, cookies… 🤣

How to feel full without using drugs, according to a nutritionist:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13151531/How-Ozempic-style-weight-loss-without-daily-jabs-Harley-Street-nutritionist.html

Sending RESOLVE to the Monday fasters! Adding @at & @merryapple too, as per spreadsheet

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz

Day 4 – Ireland – FD- 🚫 ✅ 🚶‍♂️ 🌾

Hi all, a new week and a new start 👍
    A quick check in from me as lots to do here first thing and won’t have a chance to check in later.
    All the best for the week ahead.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz
    @jaifaim

Day 4 UK f800

As expected up a couple of lbs this morning , so aim to get rid of those this week 💪

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz
    @jaifaim

Day 4 – UK – FD800

Fantastic meal out with OH on Friday night 😋 and so lucky that we could walk there and back home afterwards….

A lazy Saturday catching up with friends
    Sunday involved an 8 mile solo hike – mild weather with sunshine and blue skies – perfect!

Back to fasting today – frosty morning but sunshine and blue skies once more

@songbirdme – great news about the new house but moving on April 1st……🤞all goes well for you
    @funshipfreddie -105y.o. now that is impressive especially if you are physically and mentally good….I only have 40 years to go….🤣 Thanks for adding me to the pocket list today
    @woosoo – great to have join our merry band
    @jaifaim – agreed good friends who are honest are much valued ❤️ I certainly don’t want to get back to 53kg but around 58kg would be brilliant…..I know what to do now just need to get on and do it!!!!
    @penz – I love maple syrup but not sure with bacon…..I love your “Monday morning is a great time to check in with yourself, (re)focus on your goals and act now for your future self”

Lots of us on that pocket list today…..more 💪 to us all

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz
    @jaifaim

Day 4 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 225 lbs. Yep, a FD for me, probably a FD500.

Well, I just found out that Holy Week is sabotaged as far as fasting! My mom is inviting me to her church’s chili cook-off on Palm Sunday and the unspoken hint is that I should enter and eat, especially after last year my niece said she tried them all but would rather eat mine 😉 Then, Monday – Wednesday of that week is a 3-day conference in Atlanta. Thursday is the college’s “carnival” day where free burgers and fries abound. Then it’s Friday and Saturday, which never work for me as FDs usually, not to mention the preparation and tasting for Easter. I think my best plan of action for that week is TRE for a few days, or calorie restriction. Not a lot of wiggle room, but I’m trying to figure it out now!

That’s why I really need to watch my NFDs this month, because the feasting is coming end of month. OMAD may be my friend.

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @northgeorgia
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz
    @jaifaim

Day 4, London, UK, NFD,

Finally, I’m here!!! I’m glad that weekend is out of the way, there were way too many trigger foods in my immediate vicinity!!! With nowhere to run & nowhere to hide, I succumbed and I’m paying for it all this morning …………… Big Time!!! The scales show my meagre -2lbs from February have been wiped out and in fact brought along a couple of friends for company!!! Did I jinx myself last week mentioning how you could gain 4lbs overnight??? I think the Fat Fairy was eavesdropping on my chat with @jaifaim!!😡😡

Welcome @woosoo, you’ve made a great choice!!!

I have to add another type of food I can’t resist, “Free Food” and “Food cooked by anyone except me” has now been joined by “Food that I MUST try just once, even if it sounds weird, because you never know until you try”, catchy, I know😬 …………….. Maple/bacon donut starts the list!

@jaifaim, it’s warming my heart to think of you enjoying that time with your mum.💕🤗💕 and of course, just a little😢.

So lovely to hear from our resident songbird!!🎶🎼

I’ve got to get back to work, I’m under sooo much pressure, a catch-up break was urgently needed!!!

Keep the faith folks!!💪🏼💪🏼

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

The weekend was lovely, my bacon and egg pie according to your instructions, @penz, was a huge hit with DH and me on Saturday for supper, and then with DS32 who tried it Sunday morning; it’s a permanent addition to our menu rotation; next, @merryapple, will be the one you sent a link to!

I could explain all that I’m shuffling at the moment, but the simplest is to say: it’s a busy day and I must go (given that it’s almost 10am and I’m only now posting is an excellent clue that my words are true, LOL).

@woosoo Welcome! You’ll learn that such a short post from me is NOT the norm! 😂😂

And with that, I’m off and back to my list of things that truly ought to be accomplished today; too many things have been postponed over past weeks and I’m starting to feel the stress of impending deadlines crashing into each other!

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 5 – FD800 – UK
    I did it! – my first FD – 793 calories. Wasn’t as tough as I’d imagined. Soup seems to work well as I’ve had 3 small bowls along with yogurt and berries breakfast and water/black tea.

DH thoroughly approves of me doing so much ironing as a distraction 😀

As @funshipfreddie said, planning got me through. I’m a bit of a list nerd so that’s the way to go.

@stitchincarol your egg and bacon pie sounds yummy

Thank you for the warm welcome, what a lovely lot you all are.

Gonna do a sneaky weigh in tomorrow and see if the 44 wees I’ve had today have made any difference!

USA Day 4. FD

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @northgeorgia
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @ccco

Day 4 UK FD800

@woosoo definitely weigh in after 44 wees 😂

Day 4 Pocket List 🥕
    @merry🍎
    @at
    @woosoo
    @northgeorgia
    @excelsior12309
    @brightonbelle
    @penz
    @jaifaim
    @ccco
    @calicocat

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 306 total)

You must be logged in to reply.