Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,601 through 4,650 (of 16,657 total)

• Blimey P, I know which climate I prefer at the moment! It may be cold here but it’s very bright and beautiful this morning. x

Sunshine! That’s for wimps Smiffy..now a good thunderstorm is REALLY exciting! !!! P

Good Morning all,
    Woken up at 8 am by a delivery, my son’s very expensive Christmas present arrived, a designer sweatshirt. Really horrible khaki colour with a camouflage pocket, ghastly.
    But he knows what he likes.

Miserable day outside so not in a rush to walk my dogs.

Sleep seems to be a contentious issue on this thread at the moment. When I started fasting I found it very difficult to sleep after fast days and often resorted to a midnight snack, milky drink or even scrambled eggs. 99% of the time I sleep very well 6-8 hours. I put this down to plenty of fresh air and exercise, usually a minimum of two hours. I do yoga at least twice per week which I do think helps both my body and mind. Yes I am, on the whole, a very calm, relaxed and positive person. Unfairness and cruelty get under my skin though which lead to a rant. Now I have retired and live alone I am probably far too selfish and self absorbed but I think this is helping my dieting focus. My halo is stored away until my goal is reached. I am now two months behind my own personal goal which is frustrating, I aim to lose 7 lb per month. The worst of it is losing the same 7 lb three times in that period which actually means I have lost more than my goal amount for this period aaaarrrrggghh (not zen like about. that) but I have had a great time during this period, two holidays and two trips. I have met some very interesting people. I have also observed some very fat people making all the mistakes I used to make. Gluttony is an addiction and it is as self harming as cutting yourself with a razor blade. The damage done to internal organs and joints is often permanent. Many of these people were too fat to climb stairs and needed help from others to get into and out of chairs because their knees and hips couldn’t take the strain. Yet they still pile up their plates and constantly graized on unhealthy food.

I was nearly 8 stones overweight – two years ago, I was a glutton, I understand the misery of comfort eating. I still have three stone to lose and have given myself until next summer to do this, it will be done. I have 30 years life to live, I want it to be healthy and happy, that’s why I am here. It’s great to have company on my journey. Thank you all for joining me. As for keeping up with this thread, I need it, it’s my lifeline. Also I don’t post on others, too time consuming. I only check Facebook once per day too. Having a thread is a but like a writing a diary, I used to love doing that when I was younger, one of the good habits of youth and very cathartic.

I don’t particularly ‘feel the cold’ but I love the heat of summer, although I did feel the difference in my first six months of fasting. It is just that it has suddenly turned to winter here, having been very mild. I use the hot water bottle for pain relief, tendonitus in my right hip, plus occasional low back pain which seems to be a symptom of age and years of bad posture and probably obesity. Although all my skinny friends seem to suffer back problems too.

Weemam, RT, Amazon and other big losers – well done for staying on course – I respect your effort and congrats on your achievement. I still can’t imagine getting to maintenance but I do not under estimate this stage. I am running out of ideas to make permanent changes that will make this easier.

I hope Amazon is having a great time in Cuba, lucky girl.
    Smithy- I was 2 lb up after our weekend – sausages and mulled wine – what was I thinking?

Fast day today – it is great to be in control.

Lizzie,
    My Charlie is sick now, what is going on?
    Speak later, rubber gloves time.
    Jojo xx

I love thunderstorms. πŸ˜† We had a cracker one this arvo, and expect more over the next three days. The garden and trees are loving the rain. B

Hi all,

Lovely thunderstorm happening in Melb (10pm Wed), after I just watered the garden because we are heading to Jamieson for the next 4 days! Husband complaining about wasted water, but I explained he could thank me for causing the rain!

RT you don’t miss much do you (must be from having 5 sons to keep up with)…. Yes I thought I would try M/W/F fasts in an attempt to keep ahead of the Silly Season eating! So far ok, but will be 200 Kms away from my scales on Saturday, so just need to press on in good faith. Fantail wrappers! Why are the blokes on this thread so good with words?!

I don’t mind Miso soup Jojo, I find the saltiness ok and it’s very filling for me for a FD lunch. Couldn’t have it every day, tend to alternate it with Wee’s recommendation of Marigold Boullion. I had a lovely pot of green tea whilst out for lunch today….love my coffee but not the milky bought ones on a FD. I reversed lunch and dinner as I was out on a FD and managed ok. Prefer to have dinner with family but great that this plan is so flexible.

Need to pack an overnight bag so Goodnight/morning all, thanks every one of you for your support. Agree with RT and Nicky, this is by far the most interesting thread. Cheers.

Good morning everyone from a beautiful sunny morning in Scotland . We had a white frost last night but lovely now.
    Congratulations to all you great loosers :). Isn’t this WOL just so wonderful . On any other diet if I made a blunder I just thought ” what the hell” felt terrible and just kept eating everything in sight . Now If I eat something I shouldn’t on a FD I just change it to another day .
    I still say it’s because we are such a great group that is making all the difference .
    Jojo I hope Charlie is OK pal πŸ™

Today I am going to clean all my windows on the inside and all of my 15 pane glass doors . Been thinking of doing it for over a week . I was going to shorten the 2 new pairs trousers I have as part of Dads Christmas but think I had better get him to try them on again first as he looked like he had lost weight yesterday.
    Keep up the good work everyone and please keep telling me things about all of you . I just love to read all the posts in the morning and hear all the things you are getting up to . It is just lovely to actually know what some of you look like and I can picture you in my mind as I read .
    Well can’t put the windows off any longer . Catch up with you all later πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

WEE XX

Hi All,
    Just posting for Aussie Oma, she is blocked out. I have reported it so hopefully they will contact her direct to sort it out. Meanwhile she is still receiving messages by email so keep chatting. She is on Facebook to so not totally cut off.
    Anyone else got problems?
    Let me know and I will report it if you can’t get in.
    If you are not on Facebook I don’t think I can help, sorry, no safe way of giving you email without attracting loads of spam.
    Nama, have a great trip.
    Smithy and Weemam ! Seriously cold and clear better than warm and sunny, No way for me, give me 80 deg please. Quite like snow though! Pretty.
    Bay and PVE, I admit that I love a thunderstorm too.

Dog settled now so off nursing duty, a game of bowls beckons.

The parsnip soup is delicious, yum

I am having lots of problems with the web site Jojo, intermittently dropping in and out. When I got your last email re Aussie Oma I managed to email their “techie person” to let them know…maybe affecting us down under? Maybe they are still fiddling with it and assume all of us Downunder are in bed (now 1am).

So if you don’t hear from us, blame the IT people!
    Glad to hear your doggy ok. I saw some unbelievably cute Papillon puppies in a shop today, so tempted, but they were $1400 each!

Hope this post works! X

Hi everyone, I am starting today, first fast day and so far so good. Evenings are my nemesis so fingers crossed! Got to go down town to weigh myself today and aim to lose 2lbs a week with you guys! πŸ˜€ xx

Welcome PinkieAsha,
    We love a newbie, usually so full of enthusiasm. 2 lb per week should be relatively easy at the start so good luck. Any advice you need please ask. We have some very experienced fasters on here. I myself started last January and since then I have revolutionalised my eating and drinking. I have given up alcohol(99 % anyway), I also changed to a vegetarian diet. If that was not enough I have severely limited carbs and sugar. These things I have done because I believe it is healthier and I am keen to be an active pensioner. I still play badminton and bowls. Additionally I swing kettlebell, do a dance class and yoga. Keeps me busy.
    What do you get up too?

Good morning/evening fellow fasters …. YAY finally I’m BAAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!

Read all your posts on my phone (as still got emails), thanks Wee for sharing them with me too, but there was no way I could get on here at all yesterday … tried very early yesterday morning (nada) and then throughout the day/night yesterday now today it’s back up and running πŸ˜€ … it was frustrating yesterday as I could see everyone posting and when they did I tried again to no avail so overjoyed this morning that all seems okay again.

I must admit it IS a bit addictive as you feel lost when you can’t reply to anyone so apologies in advance as I won’t go back to re-read.

Jojo glad Charlie’s feeling better which makes life easier for you too.

Bay, PVE, Nicky, RT, Nama, Emel, Smiffy, SAMM, Wiwi and everyone else HI, I’ve missed talking with you all!

Welcome Pinkie we have a ball in here, a great bunch of people all with the same aim, some have been doing this WOL a while and are now at or near maintenance but others are, like me, a fair way off and everyone else are somewhere in between. Some of us work in Lbs some in Kgs (depending on where we live mainly). We have a mix of nationalities here, as my name suggests I’m in Australia as are several others, we have New Zealand and USA as well as UK.

It feels so good to be back πŸ˜€ I thought maybe it was my settings and so checked everything, even tried incognito browsing to no avail, but this morning voila!

Nice to see you back AO. I had the same PROBLEM ALL DAY YESTERDAY AND i WAS GETTING SO FRUSTRATED LOL .

Welcome from me too Pinkie . We have a great support in here but we also have fun too .. :).

Wee xx

Hey Hey Aussie O it’s good to have you back on team Jojo all you people with all the face book set ups have way more buttons to push and levers to pull than a poor simple country bumkin i’m thinking πŸ˜‰
    Hello Good Morning and Welcome fast freinds to the first day of the rest of your lives fast trackers have a wicked good fast day and Nama lets embrace the sheer privilege of being alive and getting better at getting better πŸ˜†
    Peace
    RT

So glad to be back thank you all πŸ˜€

RT not such a simple country bumpkin I’m sure, lol. Even though not so deep in the country we’re not in suburbia either πŸ˜€ ;P

Hi Wee I hear the frustration, I basically had 24 hour with no forum posting availability, thankfully though I had selected to subscribe to this forum so get the emails but couldn’t reply through phone, email or forum so quite frustrating at the time. Happy now it’s resolved πŸ˜€

Yes! Back on line! JJ (FD techie) suggests turning flightmode on and off if you too are having problems.
    Hope Charlie is ok Jojo. X P

PVE it didn’t matter if phone, PC or tablet yesterday, just not able to find the web pages for FD (each of my methods said the web page was either incorrectly entered or no longer available) but so glad all is well now πŸ˜€

Semi FD for me today … might end up a FD but not feeling 100% at the moment so won’t push things today.

Catch up later fellow fasters and chat more tonight πŸ˜€

Same here AO, that’s why I contacted JJ. He had changed something, so some of us couldn’t access it. Turning the flightmode on and off resets it. P πŸ™‚

Hi all,

Also emailed techie JJ and told how to reset, all good now, for now!

I don’t have any contact email address to use so needed someone else to contact them. Just glad it’s been resolved and everyone can access again πŸ™‚ β™‘

Good evening Everyone,
    I hope you had a good fast or feed day. I made and consumed spicy parsnip soup( lots of other veg in it plus potatoes) also garam masala, natural yogurt, honey and finally a little chilli. Trust me it smelt and tasted really good. A friend called in so I offered her a bowl of soup, at first she said’ I’m not sure, sounds a bit odd’ , three bowlfulls later she asked if she could take some home for her husband. Lucky I made a huge vat of it.
    I have been decorating my tree tonight, felt the need for some glitter in my room, I love a bit of glitz.
    Haven’t planned food for tomorrow yet, any ideas? Vegetarian please!
    Love jojo xx

AO the email address for technical problems with the site is located at the very bottom of the homepage. But a bit hard to find if you can’t even get in to read it! Mine was intermittently dropping out so I grabbed the address when I got the chance and JJ was pretty prompt with a response. I have written it down In case of future problems! It is : tech@thefastdiet.co.uk. Hope you are feeling better by now.

I am not much use with vegetarian suggestions Jojo, very much enjoy eating dead animal! The only veg things I have ever made are pasties or pumpkin lasagna…both a bit high in carbs for you I think! I thought of you when I saw parsnips in a supermarket today and considered them for the roast I am having Sat night, but stopped when I saw $8.99/kg! I love them baked but not at that price, out of season for us. They would be tasty in a soup. When we were kids Mum used to mash parsnip and carrots with lots of butter, yum.

Welcome PinkieAsha, hope your first fasts go well…it does get easier every week, stick with it and you will be the slimmest bridesmaid at the wedding! And by then fasting will be easier for you and you will want to keep going.

Hope the windows are sparkling Weemam. And your shoulders are not too stiff…that’s a big job to do them all in one go.

Sitting on front verandah of our cottage watching a couple of baby bunnies. It is so quiet here mid week they get very brave, but the minute I get my camera out they run! And the 18 year old horse across the road (Flicka!) is hoping for a carrot or an apple. His gorgeous elderly owners treat him like a pet dog, I am sure they would let him in the house if he fitted thru the door! And the empty land 3 doors up has 3 sheep and 5 gorgeous alpacas grazing on it, it’s a veritable zoo around here!

Nama … mwah, thank you so much for sending the email addy for tech support … if I’d had that yesterday I could have got things resolved a bit quicker, but still thanks also to Jojo for reporting on my behalf πŸ˜€ you’re both gems πŸ˜€

Such a relief to find things still working tonight when I’m home making tea (chicken kebabs and veggies) … like Nama I don’t do vegetarian very well … even my vegetable soup has meat balls in it πŸ˜† but that’s because of the recipe and the fact it’s very VERY yummy and not very many calories per serve (I make one big pot of it each year and it lasts me most if not all year through). We end up with two maybe three very small meatballs (lean mince only used) per serve and the rest is veggies and stock/water but oh so yummy AND filling πŸ˜€

Must run for now as tea is almost ready and we’re expecting friends over later. I’ll try to keep up with things now πŸ˜† but no surprises if I don’t ha ha … weigh day tomorrow (eek!)

Yet I am back on. I think it has been a couple of days. Now I posted my email which has been removed which is ok but what now? I can’t believe how much I missed reading all your posts! Xxoxx

Good morning all,
    Dull grey day here but I have lots of activity planned so won’t worry about it.
    Emel, Smithy has your email address and will send you an invite to join Facebook. There have been system problems so she was probably locked out too. Let me know if you don’t hear from her today, I know she was very busy with guests yesterday.
    Nama, I would love to live near all those animals, just dogs here, not even the odd cat, shame. We do get foxes at night but I don’t often see them. Your place sounds great.
    Playing bowls, attending group walk and going to the cinema today. Going to see the new Paddingtin Bear film. Gosh I will have been to the cinema twice in one week, very rare for me, usually once every 6 months. I saw the film about breaking the enigma code on Monday. Brilliant film with Benedict Cumberbatch and Kiera Knightly.

I am on a feed day today but trying to keep it to 1000 cals to help with my Christmas push.

Tomorrow I am planning on doing Yoga and gym plus usual walk and it’s a kettlebell day (20 mins three times per week) Then I have choir rehearsals for our show on Saturday. We are doing three ‘ Les Mis’ numbers as well as other carols and tributes to WW2 centenary. My favourite is song is Shosholosa (an African song, sung in six parts) it sounds really great, very spiritually uplifting and gospel. You can find samples on u tube if you want to hear it to understand what I mean.

Have a great day everyone.

Glad the techies sorted out the search engine problems, not good being cut off from our support line.
    Jojo xx

Going to health food store in the morrow. Pumpkin seeds should be available fresh and in bulk. So will begetting some for hummus. Instead of sesesame.

im doing very well with lifting. Sore but im definately in pain and gain mode. Happy πŸ™‚

Just a quickie while I’ve got 5 minutes – emel, I’m sending you a friend request. You need to join my personal Facebook friends and I can then make you a member of the group. You will need to make sure that your privacy settings don’t restrict your friend requests, though. If they are, you need to put them on public, at least for a short while.

Just a quick word from me too , sorry guys .
    Decided to do my windows yesterday and as usual I did too much and a wee twinge in the back again . When is my mind going to let my body know I am getting old ( Am old lol ) .

Was going to take Dad out today but he was still asleep at 1 AM . We will try again tomorrow πŸ™‚ .

keep up the good work everyone .
    We went shopping today and I bought my skinny cow ice cream treat . I am trying to do a liquid fast today but I can still see that ice cream in my mind lol . This is a real test for me πŸ™‚ .. 3 PM and I am still going strong πŸ™‚

Catch up later guys ..of to have a mug of Bovril .

Wee xx

Found a surprisinly low cal organic hummus.
    a t 2.80 will definately put on my fast day menu as im just crazy about the stuff.
    Basically I put the redpepper kind the add mine ingedients to it. Cancer prevention and fighting properties added into the store bought. So the store bought flavor the add my own health benefits .like onion garlic, red bean.brazil nut

Worth the trip if only for that .

SAMM I have never tried Hummus pal. What is eat and HOW?what do you do with it?

Wee xx

Hi Weemam,
    Why are you switching to liquid diet? You have been losing really well. If you are trying to lose the last 10 lb quickly you could just switch to ADF.

I have had a lovely day. Put a few more decorations up in my lounge, not quite finished yet, still needs some final touches. I think I would like a couple of crystal candle sticks to put in my window. I love candles around the room at Christmas.

I am playing my Christmas rock album and wrapping presents so all is good with the world. I have got organised very early this year because I am not working, it makes such a difference. I used to be exhausted before Christmas what with school play, party and reports.

What christmas preparations have you made, anything unusual? Do we have any ‘Ba humbugs’ in our midst? I have several friends who totally ignore the season and feel it’s not only a commercial ‘rip off’ but they don’t even like that it’s a holiday period. How sad it can be such a happy time when families come together. I do appreciate that some folks are lonely and depressed at this time.

Just had spicy parsnip soup for dinner before I head out to see Paddington Bear.

Have a great evening my cyber buddies.

Weemam,
    Hummus is chickpeas that are cooked and liquidised. The problem is what you dip in it. It’s great with flatbread or pitta. I usually have carrot sticks with it to keep the calories down. I also usually add a little chilli( you know me!). It is a superfood and quite filling.

Thanks for that Jojo.
    The liquid fast is not really to loose more but I worry so much about my Dad and what the Alzheimers is doing to him . I am watching him fade away and if the fasting can stop or hold this back and spare my lovely family some of the worry ( IF it comes to me ) then well worth the try
    My 2 Grans my 3 aunts and both my parents have had it so I am willing to try anything that will help .
    I love Christmas too pal . We are going to Ross again and taking Dad with us . The first thing Ross said when he got the keys to his house were ” I can get Papa to come to me for Christmas now” :).

We brought Dad here 3 years ago on Christmas as that’s what we had always done BUT Mams birthday was on Christmas day and when dad saw the cards something clicked in his mind and he was looking for Mam and got really upset . he has no memories in Ross home so we can have great fun with Dad and toast Mam without him hearing .

So sorry If I have gone on a bit .

Wee xx

No problem Weemam but look after yourself, not a fan of liquid only fasts though. A friend of mine got very ill doing one of these and now holds it directly responsible for her heart condition. She was never obese so it is not done to that. She thinks it was down to drinking too much water without electrolytes. Be warned!

Awww thanks pal but it won’t be a regular thing ( too strict really) I enjoy the normal 5.2 OR AFD . Just thought it might give the brain a wee jog .

I have had Marigold and Bovril . I had some sugar free jelly too πŸ™‚ .Probably not 100% right but strict enough for me .

Hugs Wee xx

Good morning everyone. Well after a disastrous week I managed to haul back to only putting on 400g (Fruchocs are NOT a good idea particularly just before weigh day). On a brighter note however I lost more off the three main areas πŸ˜€ just gotta be happy with that – 2cm off waist alone so slowly getting some “shape” other than round back πŸ˜† .

Have an early start today so will rush off now as need to feed babies before going to work (they are such time wasters as they’re full of character and charm … friends who came over last night spent over an hour playing and taking photo’s with them.

Catch up later πŸ™‚ AO

No grinch here Jojo!
    I spent yesterday cooking Christmas gifts for people in the stinking heat. I had a flashback when you mentioned that dirty word “reports”. πŸ™ What a nightmare they always were…especially in the runup to Christmas holidays. These are our long ones (5 weeks) and the end of the school year. The worst was when you were told on the last day (usually about 6 days before Xmas) that you had to change rooms and grades for next year. You have to pack up everything yourself and negotiate with the other teachers to move that day. God I love retirement!

Wee, I think you’ll like this story. My mum had dementia and Parkinson’s and was in a nursing home for years. She was not a drinker. On Christmas Day we would take her a champagne breakfast. One year she was having such a good time, thinking the champagne was lemonade, she drank so much she slumped asleep in her chair, hanging off one side. My daughter wheeled her back to her room and told the staff she must be tired! We couldn’t tell them she was drunk. Dear mum. I miss her. Give your darling a hug. X P

PVE that made me laugh out loud .

I think as long as they are happy that is all that matters . The other day we took Dad shopping to Asda with us . When we got out of the car I stood at the back of Dad and put my arms around him and hugged him from the back with my head on his shoulder . A woman across from us shouted ” put that man down , You don’t know where he has been ” we were all laughing and it was lovely . These are the kind of things we remember πŸ™‚

Wee xx

AO just noticed your post pal well done on the inch loss and good morning/good night :0 xxx

Absolutely Wee!
    Mum loved to sing and, even days before we lost her, she was still mouthing the occasional word and smiling at the regular singalongs they had. Even very old, frail folk still love music, company and entertainment.
    Washing up the mess in the kitchen left over from yesterday’s Xmas cookfest. πŸ™ I couldn’t face it last night.
    Present wrapping today. Cheers all P

The one I remember was when I was filling a car tire with air. I was bent over whith my behind facing the street and a woman heckled me ” CRACK KILLS” and shrieked with laughter as she drove away.

I rolled my eyes at the time, Still makes me laugh when I remember it.

LOL SAMM you made me laugh out loud pal πŸ™‚

Wee xx

@smiffy
    “Speaking of yoga, you are a regular guru Jojo. Β No wonder you are so serene and well balanced. Β I was well into it in my twenties and have never been so slim or so supple. Β I tried it again about 10 years ago but think I may have joined the wrong class as it gave my joints hell. Β There was a lot of getting up and down from the floor Β which I found very uncomfortable and all in all, I really didn’t enjoy it except for the relaxation, which usually works on the rare occasion when I can’t sleep.”

I use a stability ball these days for exactly that reason.. When my knees are pressed into the floor with my weight on them. I feel it later. Making me avoid my floor work exercises . I fount that the stability ball helps me roll myself up without so much stress on my knees and enabled me to do more floor exercises .

I can’t say enough about the positives of having a mini stability ball in my bed room. As there would be some days I wouldn’t do a damn thing except that the very small ball is so readily handy. Ifi were to point to 1 thing that got me up out of the sedentaryness from an injury was that tiny ball. πŸ˜‰ Just sharing!

Good Morning Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel and Aussie Oma in South Aus Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Wiwi Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Weemam Tartan lass Smiffy and Hello World (You know Who you Are) πŸ˜†
    Weemam I concur the flexibility on this WOL is a key element IMO to compliance and success over indulge and add an extra fast day into the schedule if like me on the ADF M-W-F a social engagement appears on a Friday easy fixed go M-W-Thr
    Jojo that parsnip soup is now on my radar honey chili natural yoghurt that’s a gourmet combo?? a bowl with my name on it very soon glad the hound has settled down. Benedict Cumberbatch was unreal as Sherlock Holmes
    Nama come on now $1400 for a hound nearly a yes yet $9 for some parsnips no way baha that cracked me up πŸ˜† also dead animal 😯 as opposed to a live one loved the picture painted you wordsmith of life off the front verandah. Enjoy
    Samm I am a big fan hummus I make my own in a food processer chickpeas garlic lemon juice and tahini paste glad to hear the body building is on track mate and all is well for you
    Aussie have you had a go at a fruchocs ice cream ?? Delishish apparently πŸ˜‰ wow 2cm off the waist what’s not to like good job AO
    PVE what a great story that lemonade can be a kicker πŸ˜‰ hey loved it
    Welcome PinkieAsha this is a great nursery for newbies don’t be shy and have a great day
    Black coffee green tea water water water and mayb a Bovril lets get our fast on
    Rouge 😳

Well I’m the Grinch!

I suspect you’re right jojo about the stress of it all when you work full-time. Also I don’t have children to try and make Christmas special for.

But it’s a good opportunity for a break from work (without using too much leave). And it’s nice to catch up with family and friends, but… I could do without the hassle and expense of trying to think of things to buy people who don’t need anything. And the family are all spread over the UK, which (although the distances are small cf SH…) can be a nightmare at this time of year. The joy of traffic congestion, unpredictable winter weather and short days…

AND, now you’ve got me started! Another thing that doesn’t make me feel festive is that we are on a carol singing rota. That’s right. We get a flyer to tell us what night to expect them. They arrive at our house (half a mile to the nearest neighbour, pitch black) and sing at us. What is appropriate etiquette here? How many songs do you let them sing? Should you join in? Should you invite them in? And how much money do you then have to give them?

And, some of you may want to cover your ears at this point… What is the good cause that motivates this merry little band to tortu..do this every year? They are collecting for the elderly of the parish. And who are ‘the elderly’? The over 60s πŸ™‚

Now, now, Happy. You’ll be over 60 one day! You could just be out that night…I do this on Hallowe’en!
    We have a community carol evening where everyone in our quiet streets walk around together, glass of wine in hand, singing carols. We live at the end of the route and have to have the street clear of leaves as “Santa” arrives on a pushbike and scatters boiled lollies for the children. OH did it one year and absolutely hated it. He prefers to do the raking and sweeping in preparation.
    I like to get involved as it is the only time of the year that most of us do more than a quick wave in passing. Builds cohesiveness. And the singing is a lot of fun! Ho ho ho….It IS December now, so we are allowed to Ho ho. πŸ˜‰

Happy festive fasting folk. P

I like music, I like carols, I play instruments, I can’t hold a tune. In the past when we lived in a village I did turn out, drink mulled wine, and mime… But having perhaps 5 people stood outside your door in the dark (we don’t have an outside light) singing at you is frankly just awkward.

And as for going out that night? The previous people said they tried that, but the singers must make a note of who they’ve missed because they came back another time.

Mmmm…very awkward. And cold too!
    Give them and fiver and wish them a merry Christmas after 2 carols, I’d say. P

Hi P,

Funnily enough that’s what we decided upon last year.

I just have to keep OH on a lead, else when the knock on the door comes he mutters ‘you get the door, I’ll just go get some cash…’ And that’s the last I see of him πŸ™‚

I like this simple to read explanation. Coping&PastingΒ 

Is Walking Just as Good as Running?
    Β By Dr. Michael F. Roizen
    Mar 31, 2014 8:56Β 

Walking may seem like more of a mode of transport than a form of exercise, but it really is one of the best things you can do for your body, your beauty and your long-term health. While you thought you were just getting from here to there, those steps were improving your cardiovascular strength, strengthening your muscles (which means more fat-burning power) and decreasing your chances of disease. And you can even find ways to walk while you work — such as a walking meeting or a treadmill desk, which you may have caught me using last week on FOX8 in Cleveland. Walking is such good exercise that you ought to include it in your day as a way to get younger.

A May 2013 study by researchers in the Life Science Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory looked at data from 33,000 runners and nearly 16,000 walkers to compare the relative health benefits of each activity. From the outside it might seem like running — which is considered a vigorous intensity exercise — must be better for you than walking, a moderate form of exercise. But the results bore out differently, with walking taking a slight edge in the end. But there’s a big if, so keep reading.

To be sure, both walking and running had positive effects. When the researchers checked in with participants six years after the start of the study, they found that running significantly reduced the risk of high blood pressure (by 4.2 percent), high cholesterol (4.3 percent), diabetes (12.1 percent) and cardiovascular heart disease (4.5 percent), for every MET h/d, which is a standard measure of metabolic energy expenditure. Great news, right? Well, it gets even better.

Participants who walked regularly saw even better results. Walking decreased risk by 7.2 percent for high blood pressure, 7 percent for high cholesterol, 12.3 percent for diabetes and 9.3 percent for cardiovascular heart disease. The more someone walked or ran, the greater the benefit.

Here’s the if: The runners and walkers had to expend the same energy to get the same benefits. That means you’d have to walk longer than you’d have to run for the same effect.

If you’re already jogging and sprinting to your heart’s content, keep at it, as long as your joints are aligned and you protect them with strong muscles to act as shock absorbers — and you wear great shoes! Yes, running is a great way to keep healthy, boost your mood and keep blood flowing for glowing skin. Not into it? No problem. Just keep working toward those 10,000 steps a day — or more, if you can! Especially if you’re just starting out or have never run before, walking is a great, low impact way to get into a fitness regimen without risking injury. Walking is easier on your hip and knee joints — just to be sure, do lunges or squats twice a week. The RealAge benefit of 10,000 steps a day is feeling 4.6 years younger for women and 4.1 for men.

Two other interesting studies appeared in the last month. One suggests that a daily ounce of any nut leads to a 20 percent decrease in the all-cause mortality rate. That’s the equivalent of 6,000 extra steps a day. My favorite is lightly toasted walnuts, since they’re the only nut with omega-3 fatty acids. But you should keep piling the steps on, even if you’re eating nuts. Meanwhile, another study found that people who get 900 milligrams of DHA omega-3 a day, whether from supplements or three 6-ounce portions of salmon a week, saw their blood pressure drop the same way it would as a result of 10,000 steps or quitting smoking.

How difficult is adding nuts and DHA — and extra steps — to your daily routine? Not very. The RealAge benefits of all three for a 55-year-old man or woman is about 7.5 years younger. Pretty easy to make yourself younger, eh?

So take all three actions: 10,000 steps, an ounce of nuts a day and 900 milligrams of DHA every day, no excuses. After all, every step you take is one step toward a fitter, more beautiful, healthier future.
    ——-
    ——-
    From SAMM
    IMO. You may condider also adding the intermittent lifestyle and eating fish 2 times a week in place of staples of inflammatory foods.Β 
    Further Antioxidant rich foods like blueberries and red beans, and naturally pre and probiotic foods rather than avoiding them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Foods_highest_in_antioxidants.jpg
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_(nutrition)
    http://i.imgur.com/dmwxa5p.jpg

Interesting Samm. Pretty much what we have done. Always good to see it expressed. Cheers P

Viewing 50 posts - 4,601 through 4,650 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.