Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,501 through 3,550 (of 16,657 total)

• Ha ha ha !

Oh dear. I may be in a minority of one but I hate and fear fireworks and have done since I was a small kid. I can remember cowering behind a closed window peeping out at the bonfire, hands over the ears so as not to hear the bangs. When they used to sell fireworks over the counter, which they seem to do less and less, even as a mature adult I’d be terrified of going out for fear that some nut from one of the local schools would start chucking them about. Even lovely thoughts of bangers and baked potatoes don’t tempt me to any firework party.

I thoroughly approve of properly organised firework displays, provided I can watch from a distance. From our loft extension where we each have our offices, we have a great view of the display at Ally Pally – Alexandra Palace in North London, from where the first British TV programmes were broadcast, some time in the 1930s, I think.

Hi everyone, memories from childhood.

As I was born in England I remember quite a lot from there, for example, when I was about 4 or 5 we lived down the bottom of a small hilly street which had cobblestones on the roadway. My mother had a lovely rosewood tea tray. It snowed … I put all three elements together and got a hiding for it lol 😀 only because the snow was not very thick, the cobblestones WERE and the tea tray was quite delicate 😆

The same street a year or half a year later and I had a scooter (no brakes btw) it was a lovely thing, I took it 3/4 up the hill and rode it down. The end of our street was a small woodland and I was trying to get all the way through without having to “power myself” … I almost made it, even with all the twists and turns I had to make but then I couldn’t avoid a tree root and went tip over apex, hitting my head and breaking it open (well it was bleeding quite a lot, lol) and was taken to hospital and was away from school for a couple of days.

Different county when I was 8, I got a pair of my mums old trousers, a shirt from Dad and a hat, gloves and socks & shoes and made my guy and took him around the streets getting pennies to buy fireworks with … I was sad when it went on the bonfire as I thought I’d done a pretty good job with him … mind you I had to share the proceeds with my sisters (both older and neither of whom helped).

I remember going Christmas carolling on crisp winters evenings as a group hoping to make a little money to buy presents.

Over to Australia at 9 years of age. First Christmas my mother made the traditional Christmas dinner … said never again it was so hot (no air con and only a small fan on the bench top).

We used to live next to a creek and we’d go “over the creek” and play in the massive paddock there (they used to hold pony club there on the far side on occasional Sundays) and we’d (next older sister and I) mosey on over and talk with the children there and would occasionally be offered a ride. We used to play down in the creek in summer (didn’t even think about snakes etc) and had a series of games we (as in myself and some of the neighbourhood children). We made up games. We were rarely in before dark, we’d be safe playing in the street. We used to sleep outside when it was really hot.

As I got older my friends and I would play “elastics” … I used to be very very good at it and we’d make up extra moves once we’d mastered the common ones. We used to ride our bikes as well up and down the streets, no helmets needed, we didn’t need to be told to “not do this at home” as any tv or movies we saw were appropriate to our age and not as extreme as they seem to be these days.

Guy Fawkes was also celebrated here however people got lazy or something and didn’t take precautions (by November it’s very dry here and it’s easy to start bush fires) and too many people were either hurt or started fires that eventually the government banned it, then later banned all fireworks unless an organised event, so now we hardly ever see any fireworks. We used to save our pocket money up and buy the fireworks from the local green grocer shop.

Yes, lots of lovely memories from both up top and down under … many more but too many to list here, but thank you for bringing the memories back to the front of my mind, it’s been lovely reminiscing 😆 including my norty times 😀 .

SAMM and Nicky I hope you both feel right as rain soon .

I am loving all the stories of past times
    We used to live in the pit cottages beside the coal mine. There weren’t a lot of cars on the roads then , Dad bought me a brand new Bright blue bike from Halfords . I went out with my pals and they all put an empty cigarette packet in the spokes so they made a kind of engine noise as the wheels went round . I didn’t have an empty packet and thought of I poked the toe of my shoe in the spokes I would make the same noice . Youv’e guessed it lol . I ended up in the middle of the road in a heap and the forks on my new bike all twisted 🙂 .. That’s a day I will never forget lol .

Wee xx

I was lucky enough to grow up in various places. Most of my primary years were on a research station in the northern teritory. We had a pet buffalo, a pig, a wild brumby and our ” backyard” was a dam / wetland that we we could not swim in due to the crocodiles. We did not wear shoes or hats- now that horrifies me. Life was certainly different then.

A fast day today and am pleased with my NFD think I am getting the hang of it. Today is my eldest son.’s 19 th. He is at uni but works as a labourer for two days a week. I cannot believe that my baby gets up at 6 and is out the door by 6:30. I am certainly a proud Mum:)

Well done to your eldest Emel and a happy birthday to him too . It is lovely being a proud Mam

Wee xx

Loving these stories too … how awesome to have your own Buffalo Emel 😀 wishing your son a happy birthday too (be proud as punch you deserve to be proud 😀 )

Like Emel, we moved around a lot as my Dad was a teacher and regularly moved schools. City memories very boring compared with country ones. I have three brothers so was a real tomboy and we got into lots of trouble …. The boys always dreamed up the adventures but I was happy to go along with them!

My happiest memories are of 4 yrs spent in a large town on the Murray River (Mildura), which was much smaller in the 50’s. We would set off early on our bikes ( Mum would say go anywhere except near the river!), detour past the orange groves to fill our jumpers with oranges, then sit on the river bank to enjoy them! Mildura also known for grapes and there were long flat racks for drying grapes that made great trampolines.. I had a pogo stick which I spent hours on, and Amazon…. I had forgotten about those roller skates that were adjustable! Also a billy cart made by Dad!

We had a paddock behind our house and the whole neighbourhood would build a big bonfire for Guy Fawkes. Dad had to run for the garden hose one year! We were given pocket money to buy our own small bag of “crackers” from the local store. They did scare me a bit too! Such a different world, we all read books till TV arrived, no Nintendos or Wii’s!

Another .5 Kg gone this week, all the blueberries and strawberries are paying off!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

agree with that Amazon about serrano pepper.
    its far and above higher in capsaicin.
    However its heat is. Edible

here is the Scoville scale wiki

it does help me with walking and noticably in my rotator cuff when its chronic ically painful.

it may be placebo effect for me though . I believe it works so im more tolerant. I eat raw cherries and a serrano pepper when suffering from doms after strength training

Amazon

im reading that raisins help with heart disease.
    would be a great feed day snack.

if I tried to esplain id just make it seem nonsensical at the moment.

Amazon. How long do you plan to keep on with intermittent fasting?

are you on 5:2
    are you comfortable with 4:3?

Samm, thanks for the peppers scale, very useful.

I have been tidying and rearranging my lounge and sorting paperwork, some of which is long overdue. It’s always good to clear the decks before a trip. Very pleased with my very spacious result, looks almost minimalist ( ok so I shoved most of it in cupboards and boxes) some went in the he bin though, promise.

I noted that spell check changed my spelling of ‘ practise’ to ‘practice’ apologies to those of you offended by noun and verb interchange, I should have read it back. My daughter gets really cross when I don’t read back texts, they often make no sense at all thanks to auto correct( auto bloody disaster more like). I must try harder( that was written on quite a few of my school reports

So very nice to reaf the stories of good timrs in posters past.

I grew up in Indianapolis, in

in speedway very very close to the 500 mile race track. Till I was 8 years old. Hearing the race cars roar in the month of may. Is my fond memory.

we used to sneak under the barbed wire stretched across the creek to gain access to the golf course.
    we would hide until golfers would swing. Run out onto the green and steal the balls.

later when the actual race would come wr would sell papers along the congested streets. We would also sell the golf balls that had the 500 flying wheels on them.

Later moved to suburbia. Where there always baseball or football either at schools or churches.
    most of my spare time spent gathering players.

when I got to 13 I fell in with the toughkids .
    but I never started fights or threw first punches.
    At reunion of classmates. A guy explained one whole nieghborhood. Across the baseball diamonds were terrified of us . Because we had weight sets in garages with punching bags and swords hanging around. We didnt have gangs in those days though.

I went to school that had busing of minority childrenfrom across town to our school.
    I didnt really understand why. I demonstrated agianstthe busing. I got jumped buy a group of the mminority kids without being heard. Toe the cost of tradnspoting them at the cost of 2 million a yearin 80s was a big deal. 25 years later. Many of thectiticisms on facebook was about that very point.

all that money spent on diesel fuel and still no local school for that community to this day..

Jojo
    just remebering about the thicknail.

ok I had discovered nail issues of mine own.
    Curious I searched the google imaged search.
    that piinted to enough to have conversations with GP
    AND disvovery of diabetes. Due to weight loss and signs of auto immune response.

also dont ever allow a nail salon to use UV LIGHT on damaged nails

Thanks, all, for your quick responses. From Friday, I will be the proud owner of a Kindle White.

Just bought my first bona fide size 10 silk shirt. Very comfortable and flattering. 🙂 Even if we discount one whole size for the resizing of clothing that happened in the 1980s, this means that I am now the same size as I was 25 years ago. Who woulda thunk it! 😆 happy dance!

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. And Jojo for this thread. 🙂
    Cheers, Bay

Oh my God Bay that is Amazing, happy dance with you. I would be lying if I said I remember size 10 tops I must have been a child. 12 is my goal but I am so thrilled for you. Can you give newbies tips to your success?

My own good news is one more pound off before my trip, tantalisingly close to next stone break through. It will be a miracle if I hit it next week, no fasting planned on holiday but I won’t go mad. My three stone goal over the next six months is looking harder and harder especially with Christmas in the middle. But I will push on and give it my best shot. Last stone has taken three months as I put on several pounds twice during that period. Actually lost two stone if I count relapsed pounds-life is cruel.

If there is wifi at the hotel I will keep in touch. Have a great week. Keep fasting!

Love jojo xx

Morning/evening all,

Do you go today Jojo? Have a great holiday!

Bay, I hope you are looking at yourself in the mirror wearing not just a size 10 but a very happy grin. Well done 😛
    I look forward to the day I buy a size 12 shirt.

SAMM, I did 5:2 for seven months last year and lost 42lbs, came off it in December until August 11th in which time I put on 18lbs. I’ve been back on since then and lost 21lbs so far. The first two weeks I did 5:2 and then went to 4:3 and have tried 3:4 by doing B2B fasts Mon/Tues and Thur/Fri. I then started ADF but life got in the way so I’m back on B2B this week, as I’m keen to drop another 7lbs before my trip to Cuba 3 weeks tomorrow. I have about 35lbs more to lose, so I figure I’ll be continuing for another five or six months, depending on how disciplined I can be at Christmas,if I can keep up the 2lbs a week loss, and if when I get to another 35lbs loss I’m happy with that or need to drop a few more pounds. It’s so long since I’ve been that weight I’ve no idea. Then it’ll be maintenance for ever.

Jojo, have a great holiday.

You might not have a special someone to share your life with at the moment (although I tend to think of my OH as a grumpy presence in the house that does odd jobs 🙂 ) but you have a more exciting life than I do! Mine is all animals, vegetables, and mud!

Hi Jojo and Amazon

Thank you. I admire you both for what you have achieved. Have a great time on your holidays. 🙂

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Jojo, I don’t have any special knowledge, but can just say what happened with me.

Beginning in late January 2014. I lost the initial 17 kg (38 lb) of weight and 2 sizes in clothing in 6 months through strictly observing 5:2 plus having some semi fast days. My fast days are 36 hours long.

I minimise carbohydrates and sugar in all forms. I eat very few processed foods and very few grains and no starches. I eat egg or fish or lean chicken or nuts for protein, and lots of non starchy vegetables. On a fast day if I’m hungry, I will steam some broccoli and have it with a few drops of cold pressed Virgin olive oil and pepper and lemon. Or I will have a bowl of homemade vegetable soup.

I eat almonds or Brazil nuts. No starches or sugars or alcohol on fast days. I have been Gluten free for some years. My dairy is A2 as I find it easier to digest. I have cheese on some non fast days. I eat normal fat foods, not fat reduced foods.

The 6 months of weight loss also included three weeks in China where I stayed at the same weight, eating fish or chicken and lots of vegetables. I had a beer each night. We did a great deal of walking each day.

I have now been maintaining for four months. I eat fish and green vegetables regularly. I have a glass of alcohol five nights a week. I get some form of exercise every day. House cleaning, scrubbing floors, gardening, mowing the lawn, golf, walking the dog. Use it or lose it!

I have found it is essential for me to stay with 5:2 to maintain my weight loss and to reset my body on the healthy path. I look forward to fast days. If I have an indulgent day, then I fast the next day. If I know in advance that I will be having dessert plus indulge in chocolate and wine, then I fast the day before, plus I eat a very modest brunch on the day. Two meals a day is the new normal, and no grazing.

The changes I notice from 9 months ago. I have more energy. Food tastes better. My BP meds have been reduced by one third. My clothing size is now down by 3 sizes. Food portion size is halved. I drink more water every day. When I treat myself, it is a much smaller treat. I eat more slowly and I savour the taste of my food. I need less food to feel full. I like not having alcohol two days a week. Two meals a day fill me up. I gave stopped grazing. In between meals I might have an apple. Or a few dry roasted almonds. Vegetable soup made from celery, carrot, capsicum, ginger, chili and spring onions is my friend on fast days. Berries are good.

Even though I have maintained around this weight for 4 months, my shape has changed again in the last 2 months. During the whole 9 months of 5:2 I feel that I have lost at least 8 kg of internal “bad” fat from around the organs. My BP meds have been reduced by one third. My health is better.

I came to this website after my weight loss and looking for hints on how to maintain the enthusiasm. 😆
    Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement.

This reflects my personal experience and I realise that we are all different. I have taken way too long to say this.

All the best on the path you choose, Bay 🙂

Amazon, I’ve just seen your post reporting your fantastic loss. Well deserved since you’ve clearly worked very hard to get there. I’m full of admiration and green with envy at how quickly you’ve achieved success at such speed. Me, I’m back on the very slow burn.

Happy, I’m laughing out loud at your description of your ‘grumpy’ OH. I’ve got one just like that at home, too.

Jjo have a fantastic time pal . Did you get the red boots ?

Bay well done on the blouse pal . You deserve it .

SAMM still laughing at you stealing the golf balls lol .

Not a nice day here again but I have stripped the beds and have the sheets in the machine . FD today so trying to keep busy . I love this thread and look forward to reading it every day ..

have a great day/night everyone .. Wee xx

Hi All,
    Sad news this morning, one of my bowling chums who was coming on our holiday died of heart failure last week, just heard the news, just 63. How sad, she had a lovely dog which will now live with her daughter. She was slim and very active and walked miles daily. She was a worrier though, we need to remember it’s not just about the healthy lifestyle. Sadly I will likely miss the funeral as it’s during the holiday. Definately put a damper on the trip.

Bay,
    Thankyou for sharing, I am sure newbies will benefit and some oldies like me will step up their game. Been very busy getting my flat clean and tidy, nice when you return from your holiday to have nothing but the washing to do.

I have cleared out quite a lot for the charity shop but merely scraped the surface. I have taken some photos of clothes I want to sell so I must look into Ebay selling when I return. My white crops fit beautifully now I have taken them in so I won’t be showing my knickers on holiday when bowling.

Let’s all try some daily meditation guys, it’s very important for our blood pressure.

Jojo I am so very sorry to hear about your bowling friend. That is so sad for her family too, to lose her so young. Maybe she had some pre existing or un diagnosed heart problem that no amount of fitness could compensate for. Hopefully it won’t spoil your holiday completely and your group can all raise a glass to her together.

You are so lucky to be able to just pop over to Spain, such a lovely place with such beautiful people. Good luck with the bowling too, good to hear you won’t lose your pants!

Bayleaf I also found your story very interesting and helpful, thankyou for explaining your ‘system’ so thoroughly. We newbies can certainly learn from your experience.

Hermaj,

As well as OH similarities, I’m also with you on fireworks.

I’m starting to think we were separated at birth 🙂

Hi jojo,

Such sad news about your bowling buddy. It must have hit you and the other bowlers hard, especially now when you were all looking forward to having fun together.

You are so right to point out that it isn’t all about physical fitness. Mental and psychological health are also crucial. I’m sometimes inclined to think ‘not giving a monkey’s’ about things, at least stuff you can do nothing to change or influence, can be good for your health.

In which part of Spain will you NOT be showing your knickers. I only ask because at this time of year the southern half will be mostly warm and sunny. The northern Spanish weather is not much different from that in the UK, although a wee bit warmer.

Hi nama,

A day or two back, you said you hadn’t met a Queen before. I don’t want to disappoint you, but I’m not the Hermaj who lives in Buck House. My Hermaj refers to a much-loved, much-missed old moggy named Tomomi, after a beautiful little Japanese girl, one of a number of delightful kids from the large Japanese community in Zurich, Switzerland, to whom I gave English lessons.

As a young cat our Tomomi, who lived to be 21, had been mad, bad and dangerous to know. In her latter years, she would sit quietly in one of her favourite spots, looking queenly and wise – hence Hermaj.

Bay, thanks for telling us about your experience with 5:2. Big compliment coming up. From your Berlin photo, no one would guess in a million years that the slender lady smiling at the camera had ever been overweight. You’ve done a grand job. 🙂

Hi Happy,

Can I pretend to be the same age as you? 🙂 In my head I probably am, but the bod doesn’t always agree, although things could be much, much worse.

I read your post to Him Indoors and he was gracious enough to agree that, yes, it catches him to a tee.

Afternoon all on this wet and miserable looking day.

Jojo, sorry to hear about your friend, I hope you are all still able to enjoy your holiday.

Bay, it is both interesting and helpful to read your personal experience.
    We are all treading our own path but for the same reasons, and it is good to read how others have succeeded, and if they have encountered problems, how they’ve solved them. For me, the most important lesson is that everyone talks about how they are satisfied with much less food, and are naturally attracted to more healthy options with the occasional treat. I guess we are all being reminded to listen to our bodies.

I am mentally worn out. I have art overload 😛 The Rembrandt exhibition was very good. We also looked at some of the other exhibits in the National Gallery, and will be going back for another look soon. It was very crowded. There are so many tourists in London, and with it being half term, lots of families out and about despite the wet weather.

Hi Amazon,

The scrum effect at the National Gallery or any of the other London art museums seems to be par for the course with major exhibitions of works by very well-known artists. They sometimes do timed tickets, which can make it less of a stampede. Great that you enjoyed it anyway, Rembrandt is rather special.

Hi hermaj, We had timed tickets, and yes it was crowded which I didn’t mind apart from the parents who arrived with toddlers in buggies. I’m sure they really appreciated being crushed in amongst the legs of strangers in dimly lit rooms………
    One of the staff told off a man who had a huge rucksack on his back and kept walking into people or side swiping them with it. I wanted to give him a round of applause. It should be compulsory to leave such bags in the cloakroom.

The rest of the gallery was packed too, which is good to see but it was such a crush in some of the rooms that I felt claustrophobic.
    The crush around van Gogh’s Sunflowers reminded me of the scramble in the Louvre to have a photo taken in front of the Mona Lisa!
    Having said that it is great to see so many people admiring works of art.
    And I finally got to see the Fighting Temeraire. My parents had a print above the fireplace, and I’ve always wanted to see the original 🙂

Back to Rembrandt, there was a room containing nothing but self portraits, and the final one is the version we saw at Kenwood a few weeks ago 😛

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/527168/Flu-vaccine-prevent-heart-disease

Lead author Dr Veljko Veljkovic of the Institute Vinca in Belgrade, said: “Even though the protective effect of the flu vaccine against heart disease has been known for some time, there is very little research out there looking at what causes it.

“Our proposed mechanism could potentially be harnessed in a vaccine against heart disease, and we plan to investigate this further.”

Heart disease is at epidemic levels and is Britain’s single biggest killer.

It is responsible for at least 73,000 deaths each year, and 2.3 million Britons live with its devastating effects.

People can reduce their risk of heart disease by eating healthily, exercising and stopping smoking.

But there is currently no treatment which can protect people from developing it.

Previous clinical findings show that people that receive the seasonal flu vaccine also benefit from its protective effect against heart disease.

The risk of having a heart attack in the year following vaccination is 50 per cent lower than people who did not receive it.

Hi Guys,
    This is my last post for the week, I am leaving very early morning. I am playing bowls four mornings and we have two full day trips planned so it will be very busy.

I have decided not to think about 5:2 this week, have a break, but I am not planning on gorging.

Have a wonderful and successful week, keep posting, I will read it but probably not post.

Love Jojo xx

Bay that is absolutely brilliant and Aussie Aussie Aussie well done good from you now I must admit that a size 10 means zero to me suffice to say that i appreciate its a smaller top and a silk one at that now that’s alittle bit schmancy 😉
    Your story is a very good story that needs to be retold in some way perhaps an honor board of achievement on here in a thread all of its own oh how motivating to see the the what,why who how and when…………………that would be..
    Sharing is Caring
    Peace RT

The British Heart Foundation suggest that the reason may simply be down to not contracting influenza, and say that more research is necessary.
    I’m not sure that stating that the vaccine protects against heart disease is accurate, but that is the Daily Express for you!

Sounds like a bit of an ordeal, Amazon. It can’t be much fun for toddlers in buggies, nor for the adults and older kids whose legs get wallopped by the buggies. I guess they can possibly be forgiven if it’s the only way the mums can get to an exhibition as there’s no one around to babysit, but it doesn’t make them any less annoying. I wonder if museums could offer a creche for a quid or two?

As for the idiot with the rucksack. I don’t know how tall you are but I’m just the right height to be bashed on the nose by some bugger with a backpack. Happens a lot on the Tube. First, this guy was wrong to bring it in rather than leaving it in the cloakroom. Secondly, it was wrong of gallery staff to let him through the door to the exhibition.

Once half term is over, you can always go back to see Sunflowers and the many other great pictures in the permanent collection one midweek morning when you might have the place almost to yourself.

Are you interested in war art? If so, the Imperial War Museum has an exhibition, running until March, of works by British painters during World War I.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/iwm-london/truth-and-memory-british-art-of-the-first-world-war

I really got into German war art of the same period when doing the MA, in fact I was going to make art from both sides of the conflict my dissertation subject. Then I realised I would be writing and submitting it in the centenary of the Great War, and it might look as though I hadn’t an original idea in my head, so I did something else. Still love the art, though.

Buen viaje, jojo,

Have a great holiday. Forget 5:2 without going totally bonkers and enjoy your bowls. xx

Jojo firstly sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you have a great holiday and remember your friend and the good times you had by raising a glass (or two) in her honour.

Bay, fantastic results and agree that veggies no longer include starchy ones (ie potato) and very few grains if any.

Twice so far this week when I’ve had lunch I’ve not been able to finish it as it was too much. This is in the servings I set aside in the freezer about 3 weeks ago. those set aside a week ago are much smaller btw so will be using them and OH will have the “larger” portion sized ones.

FD for me today and an early start at work (will start in about 45 mins) … personally I cannot abide the flu vaccination … I can have it one year, no problem, get it the next year and I’m sick for the next 11 months and worse if I get it again the following year. So having said that I don’t have them. I have to admit I have NOT had the flu (touch wood) for the past 3 years, I have had a heavy cold last year but not even that this year. The only thing I have had is sinus infection and so far this year only the one (the last couple of years it was a lot more) and hope that that will be the only one this year.

Had a sneaky look on the scales this morning … lost all that I put on last week plus a bit 😀 I also checked one measurement (neck) and even that has decreased. Full weight and measurements tomorrow but it’s looking good 😀 😆

Catch up with you all later … I have read everything and love hearing about you all and hope you enjoy hearing from me 😀

Hiya Ozzie …I look forward to your posts .I look forward to all the posts and I love all the hints and tips .

Jojo we will all be waiting for you coming home and hearing how you got on . Have a great time pal .

I made more soup tonight and I am starting to be a wee bit more adventurous too. I put is spices and I also added mild curry powder . It was really good but maybe a wee bit too much curry powder for my first time . I was starting to go for my Asthma lol just small irritating couch but Oh! My! I had to put the heating off . . . I loved it though and enough for 3 fasting days now in the freezer .

SAMM I think it will be a few weeks before I try the peppers pal .
    I was brought up with soups and stews and meat dishes so a bit of a curry/pepper virgin . I am willing to try anything

I make lots of split pea and ham and lentil soup for other half . He likes it so thick that the wooden spoon stands up by itself before you stir it lol

Wee xx

hermaj, thanks for the info regarding the Imperial War Museum art exhibition. I might go and take a look.

As for influenza, most people wouldn’t recognise it if it slapped them round the face, and call a heavy cold the flu. I had influenza about 35 years ago and was bedridden for days. I’ve never felt so ill in my life!
    When I was working I use to have the vaccination every year as I was in the front line so to speak, but I don’t bother any more. Now I’m not in close contact with Joe Public every day I’m rarely ill, and I’ve only had one cold in the last 2 years. I used to catch them frequently.

It is a non fast day for me today. I broke my fast at 2pm with some Eggs Benedict, and since then all I’ve had is a slither of cheese and a large glass of red. I could easily go into the kitchen and find something to nibble, but I’m really not that hungry so I won’t bother. Hunger was never a consideration before, it was just a case of what can I eat now. Interesting how things change.
    B2B fasts tomorrow and Friday and then the weekend off 😛

Hi Weemam, you sneaked in when I wasn’t looking!
    AOs posts are always so nice to read, chatty and friendly. I look forward to them.
    So you’re trying out the curry powder. Do you like curry? Last week I put some curry powder in some natural yogurt, and put some cubed lamb in it to marinade overnight and then grilled it on skewers. It was really good.
    Most curries are just a stew with a few spices added, so if you like the flavour you’ll soon be experimenting with all kinds of things.
    I love vegetable curry and make a huge batch and divide it into calorie counted portions and freeze it. Sometimes I add lentils or chick peas. It is good filling comfort food, and excellent on fast days.

Samm interesting post about flu vaccination and heart disease.
    My mother was in emergency a few weeks ago with flu that became acute bronchitis and the poor old petal was really struggling. And my close friend who never ever gets ill had flu for the first time in her life. She is a rabid antivaccination campaigner and we agree to disagree on this matter.I think her struggle with the cough that came with this years flu has her rethinking the matter because she really was very very ill and has never been ill a day in her life (latesixties) til this.

I told her yes flu shots help me and I am very regular about them. I have hem annually since I genuinely thought I may die in Hong Kong when I was living there in the 90s…had a doctor come during the night for a home visit for the very first time in my life. Got a second bout of flu (different one) a few weeks after getting over the first. Same totally devastating effect, unable to breathe etc.

Since then I have never been as well or as resilient as I used to be for all of my life..had a chain of health issues one after the other in the following decade.

I think if you are youngish and generally healthy you may be able to risk getting flu but the problem occurs when you pass it on to others. It’s a serious illness and it kills people, lots of them every year.

Jojo

I was very sorry to read about the death of your bowling friend. Raise a glass in honour of your friend while in Spain. It is sobering when people we know well die, or have a life threatening event.

Hi to all the lovely people who were supportive, and once again sorry my post was so long. 🙂

Re the flu vaccination, my mother has them each year, and she is 93 and still going strong. I had my first ever flu vac this year prior to our China trip. I was 67 and worried about all the various strains of Asian flu that turn up each year. We were going into the rural areas of China, into the tablelands of Manchuria. A fantastic trip. No one in the small group was sick. I didn’t even get a cold this Winter just past.

The vegetable patch is going well. I picked rocket leaves this morning to have with scrambled eggs. The beans, zucchini, and tomato plants are growing. There are lots of apricots on the trees. Late Spring is wonderful. I really feel for you upside downers heading into Winter. 😆

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Don’t worry about us Bay, we’ll survive, and we can go into the garden next spring without worrying about redbacks, funnel webs or snakes!

You post was in effect an explanation of how and why this WOE works, no need to apologise.

Haha, Amazon. If I saw a snake in my garden, I would be amazed. Spiders, yes, we do have to be wary. 🙂

In the long post I forgot to say that I keep a 5:2 diary. It may be a tad obsessive of me, but I have learnt a lot about cause and effect. It enables me to make sure I have enough food variety and enough water on any day. I log food, water, exercise, sleep, measurements and weight. I also mention mood and tiredness, if applicable. Without the diary to refer back to, I would have rewritten my 5:2 experience. My memory is different to the reality in the diary. 🙂

The diary has shown me that indulging in sugar or starchy foods has both a physical and emotional impact on me. Sugar and starch one day leads to a sluggish feeling the next, and I have to go “work it off” physically. I sleep better on fast days, and I attribute this to less food, that is, less fuel and “cleaner” food in the system. Without the diary I would regularly not drink enough water. Enough about me. 😆

Cheers, all, Bay 🙂

Ill look inyo some more compeling evidence or facts about the inFLUenza vaccine and the statistics.

this not something new.

but its not wiedly known than 50% of all fatal heart attackd occur when battling the flu or pneumonia.

Its a theory that you can high cholesterol and be just fine till you get a sudden increase of inflamation .
    Like when having the flu. Then the combination of of flu and heart disease togethet is the risk.

my understanding is its a 50% lower risk over ten years a well.

basically. Avoiding the inflamation associated with the flu .

this is being explored because the number of heart sttacks of patients whom lower their cholesterol hasn’t changed the death rate except those whom have recieved the flu vaccines.

Adf fast day for me.
    Egg, cheese, serrano pepper for lunch

Catfish with beans for dinner .

Enjoy yourself and your break jojo.
    Best wishes!

Bay,

I have a polytunnel, so it’s not all permanent dark, frozen wastelands and scurvy for me over winter 🙂

I killed my courgette (zucchini) plant at the weekend, and harvested the last three fruit. Not bad eating our own courgette at the end of October.

Rocket and salad crops will also keep going in the polytunnel, as will things like chard (which the hens are particularly partial to!)

One plant that is rampant at the moment is New Zealand spinach. I tried it this year as it’s meant to cook down like spinach, but doesn’t bolt. It’s weirdly fleshy, you can see it’s coastal origins, but I’ve not done much with it. Is it something you use ‘down there’?

SAMM, how can you possibly know so much? Your posts are crammed full of information. Do you have a photographic memory?!

Hiya Amazon . I was brought up with what my Mam called “plain food” she was a great kook and baker but in those days nobody ate currys so I haven’t really tried it .

My soup was sprouts ,turnip and mushrooms with mixed spice,basil.tom purée some marrigold bullion ,a Knorr cube and then I added some mild curry powder . I love trying new things but worried I wont like it and it is wasted . BUT so far nothing has been wasted lol .I got 3 huge plates less than 300 cals total .

OH likes his PLAIN food lol . He is not adventurous where food is concerned .

SAMM we are pensioners so we always get the flu jab but I have Asthma so I have been getting it for ages . youngest son gets it too as he has CP.. Hubby had 3 heart attacks then a triple bypass but he has only ever had a bad reaction to the jab once . That was this year . I think it was a lot calmer than a usual flu .

Wee xx

Hi SAMM this is for you can you either confirm or squash the notion that 7500 cal burned in exercise or cut from the weekly intake equates to a loss of 1kg?
    And can you direct me to the souce of this knowledge or web site that calculates this calories in calories burned/reduced equals X kg weight loss?? I have full confidence in your ability to detail this and oh yeah the check is in the mail 😉
    Thanks in Advance
    RT

Weemam, sorry if you’ve already told us this and I missed it. But how was your marigold jelly?!

Viewing 50 posts - 3,501 through 3,550 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.