Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,801 through 1,850 (of 16,657 total)

• Morning all.

It’s a beautiful morning in London. Blue sky and sunshine. I’m going for a walk along the Thames Path and am going to visit Ham House which is a 17th century mansion with interesting art, furniture and textile collections, that also has a nice garden.

I got on the scales this morning and have lost 7lb in four weeks. Not quite 2lb per week but it’ll do!

Have a good day everyone πŸ™‚

Hi JoJo : I’m glad you’re enjoying your bar work and your dress sounds fab. I have always been a fan of Tommy Cooper so here are my favourite jokes of his :-

“Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. There are 5 people in my family – there is me, my mum and dad, my brother Ho Chee Min and my brother Colin. I think it’s Colin”.

Or

Doctor, Doctor I can’t pronounce the letters F’s, T’s and H’s very well and he said, “You can’t say fairer than that”.

Bum Bum

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That sounds like a lovely walk Amazon and thank you and JoJo for my bbq tips. We are having one on Sat but I will be careful with my choices and cut down on the booze. I really want to do this so this week I am fasting Mon/Wed (today arrrghhhh)/Fri and possibly Sunday.

It’s beautiful here in Scotland too – great day for washing on the line. I had a lovely walk last night with the dogs round a dam near my home which doubles as a nature reserve and I snaffled a few bunches of rose hips and lovely red berries which look great on my kitchen window sill. I love autumn and start lighting loads of candles and tea lights. Last year we invested in a log burning stove so hopefully we will be really cosy when the time comes.

I am also aiming for 10st 7lb – at the moment I am 12st 9 (boo hoo). I am 5’10″/aged 45 and quite active. I would love to lose a stone before Christmas.

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good morning fast trackers,

Welcome Christina P, well done and I can’t think of a better way to lose weight than gain a few extra hours of shut eye. I have recently retired si I am learning to appreciate life without an alarm for the first time in 43 years, it’s heaven. My dogs won’t allow me to go too mad though, can’t push it beyond 7.30 am but compared to 6.15 it’s heaven. I hope you will become a regular poster with us. Tell us more about your diet journey so far please.

Ply, are you listening, your early morning gym may hamper your weight loss( only joking! I think I may be catching you up tomorrow, seriously I am a fibre machine. Talking of which, did I ever tell you I had met the author of the famous F Plan diet, Audry was at a yoga retreat I attended each year. She was an early founder of the movement(:-))

Sam- thankyou so much for your input and I could understand it all, you have fine mind. What career did you choose before you were hampered by your accident? What are you going on to next? If I remember correctly, you are the baby of our group at the moment. I agree with you about ADF, positively harsh. I think I am an eater, I don’t really enjoy fasting that much, I would rather change my foods and eat three times per day than fast. This is why I am experimenting with foods that might allow good portion sizes, plenty of spice and produce positive health benefits, weight loss is secondary in the long run as maintenance is key when we reach goal. Non of us want to go back, do we? Change is vital. We actually do need to shut that door after the horse has bolted.

Versy, thankyou so much for the jokes, they are great. Ok new rule – first poster of each day here or overseas must add a joke, it was such a great start to the day to have a laugh.

Amazon, well done you on the 7 lbs in four weeks, I am close too, possibly hit the Mark after today’s fast. Feeling hungry this morning but also very slim so looks promising. Why don’t you join Ply and me on our challenge?

I am very jealous of your walk, I have heard of Ham House and will add it to my bucket list of days out.

My garden looks great now, everything done for the next month or so, time to relax in it with a good book. May be forced to do some work in the house, I really need to do some decorating- add some colour, I hate magnolia.

Have a great fasting or feeding day all.

Jo’s joke of the day

For the current and former teacher’s out there in cyber space

Teacher: “Kids,what does the chicken give you?”
    Student: “Meat!”
    Teacher: “Very good! Now what does the pig give you?”
    Student: “Bacon!”
    Teacher: “Great! And what does the fat cow give you?”
    Student: “Homework!”

I must tell my poor daughter this, she is suffering very badly from crying children who are not ready at age 4 to be dumped in a classroom. Especially when not a bloody sole speaks their home language. We can be a cruel nation – this is no way to encourage children to enjoy their education, in fact I strongly believe it’s a crime. Oh yes and don’t forget teachers, base line assessment must be completed within two weeks( worthless information that will be, it shouldn’t even be attempted in the first six weeks) all I can say is DUTY OF CARE

Hi jojo and ply.

Quick postbefore I get down to being studious. The recipes were for Cheeseplease, who is a pescatarian, but of course whoever the recipes are addressed to they are there for everyone.:) Did you try it, ply?

Anyway, here it is again.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-cod-quinoa-salad-mint-chutney

I’ve probably said this hundreds of times, but Beeb Good Food is a rich source of recipes whether you a meat-eater, pescatarian or veggie. Many of them are well under 300 cals and therefore great for fast days. There are a number at between 350 and 550, i.e. perhaps a bit much for fast days but perfect as main meals on non-fast days.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

This one for example: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2973682/chicken-ginger-and-green-bean-hotpot

I cooked it last night, adding some mushrooms and spinach and a pack of our old friends zero noodles and it came to 245 cals.

I never had a fringed jacket but I did have loon pants – remember the completely OTT flares? – and loved to waft around in maxi-skirts. Happy days.

Love the joke! I’m trying to think of one to contribute that isn’t rude. Those poor little mites your daughter is having to deal with, especially ones who haven’t yet acquired any English. They must be terrified. I’m sure your daughter will find ways to make them feel at home.

Question: it used to be fine for a teacher to hug a child in distress which back in the days that dinosaurs still walked the earth, I found worked wonders with kids as old as 11. Is that still the case, or are you risking an accusation of alleged assault?

Hermaj, I like the Good Food recipes too, and I’ve found that it is nearly always possible to lose 100-200 calories by reducing or eliminating oil in many of the dishes which brings them down to a more reasonable number of calories.

After B2B fast days I had a small bowl of home made granola with fruit and yogurt this morning and am feeling absolutely stuffed! I’m going to walk it off today as it is about 3.5 miles to Ham House and if I’m not too tired I’ll walk home too.

Jojo, thanks. I’m on a mission to lose 2 stone by the time I go to Cuba at the end of November. I have 10 and a half weeks to go so I should be able to lose the other 21 lbs, but I’ll have to be really careful on my non fast days, hence giving up bread.

My god Amazon, you are living up to your handle, good luck.

Hermajtomomi, you were and always will be allowed to hug children but it is important that you take care not to be alone with them and that your hands can visibly be seen to be in appropriate body areas. I know some teachers who have adopted a ‘no touch’ policy and it is wholly inappropriate for young distressed children. However in the case of my daughters ‘little one’ the classroom assistants are bearing the major load, trying to build up a bond with him. He will not let them anywhere near him and has attacked one by twisting her ear when she was stopping him from climbing over the fence, hence my verdict ‘ not bloody ready’ he should have hour long visits only with his mother or father until he accepts the environment. Poor little blighter is probably being traumatised for life. My daughter who would love to be the one to settle him has been asked to make sure she focuses on the rest and gets on with assessments.

I remember my own first day at school, not a pleasant experience. I was however 5 years old not 4 and had not had the benefit of pre-school. I screamed for the whole of the first day, left in a crying corner, yes it was actually called that, behind screens too( nice). It’s bloody inhuman and seriously needs to be addressed in this country. Sorry now you need another joke to lighten the mood.

Got a good one anyone?

Jojo – I can always be relied upon to supply the nonsense to this group :-

My doctor told me to drink a bottle of wine after a hot bath, but I couldn’t even finish drinking the hot bath!

I’m on a whiskey diet. I’ve lost three days already.

Sorry they get worse hee hee.

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Sorry one more – are you laughing yet JoJO?

So I said to the Gym instructor “Can you teach me to do the splits?”.
    He said “How flexible are you?”. I said “I can’t make Tuesdays”.

enjoying all the jokes lol .

I am enjoying this page so much ( thanks Jojo ) I am now coming here whenever I log on just to see how you are all getting on .
    here is a link for jokes :).

http://www.jokes4us.com/barjokes/index.html

Wee xx

Thanks Weemam but I am not going on to ‘links’ anymore, I don’t want to freeze my ipad again.
    I will just goggle the subjects from now on but thankyou.

Today I am wearing the most colourful dress I own. It is floral tropical oranges, pinks, lime green, grass green and white. It is really in your face as they would say. During the dog walk totals strangers( male ) have commented on how lovely I look. It’s great. Now I am off to do my bar job, the customers will need sun shades today πŸ™‚

I should be able to add a smiley face with sunshades but I have forgotten how to do it, sorry.

Curry tonight, cannot wait, fasting is not fun, effective I agree but not fun. At least I will be busy all afternoon. I had another painful night last night, so I obviously overdid it yesterday bar work then gardening plus dog walking. I will put a stall behind the bar today, get some rest. Another steroid injection tomorrow night, me thinks?

I have just realised I spend more time talking to my cyber friends than my friends. Thinking about it I think this is because we have so much in common. Most of my friends have never been over weight and therefore they don’t understand our weaknesses and more importantly now our strength and resolve to beat this dilemma which impacts so dramatically on our health, well being and relationships.

I am so grateful to everyone out there for just being listeners and sharers. Keep up the good work!

Still working on the mantra!

Fast with us, don’t miss the bus?
    Take control, dont’t go with the flow?
    Have your oats and eat them?

Q: Why did the student throw his watch out of the school window? A: He wanted to see time fly.
    Q: Why do they never serve beer at a math party? A: Because you can’t drink and derive…
    Q: What do you say when you are comforting a grammar nazi? A: There, Their, They’re Q: What’s another name for Santa’s elves? A: Subordinate Clauses.
    Q: Why did the student take a ladder to school? A: Because he/she was going to high school!
    Q: What is Grammar? A: The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you’re shit.
    Q: What three candies can you find in every school? A: Nerds, DumDums, and smarties. Q: What’s a teacher’s favorite nation? A: Expla-nation.
    Q: Why didn’t the skeleton go to the school dance? A: He didn’t have anybody to take. (any BODY)
    Q: Why didn’t the quarter roll down the hill with the nickel? A: Because it had more cents.
    Q: What happened to the plant in math class? A: It grew square roots.
    Q: What do you call a laughing jar of mayonnaise? A: LMAYO Q: What is a proof? A: One-half percent of alcohol.
    Q: Why did the chicken cross the moebius strip? A: To get to the same side.
    Q: Why did the cross-eyed teacher lose her job? A: Because she couldn’t control her pupils?
    Q: Why couldn’t the moebius strip enroll at the school? A: They required an orientation.
    Q: How did the geography student drown? A: His grades were below C-level

Hi everyone.
    I am sooooo tired. I worked out this morning before I went out, and then walked all the way to Ham House, which was about 4 miles in total. I was worn out by the time we arrived! My friend took the easy route and didn’t exercise before she left the house this morning. It is a beautiful place and very interesting. The gardens are very nice too. I was disappointed with the lunch options in their cafΓ© though so went without and I’m cooking myself something more interesting than jacket potato, soup, or the 3rd option which was so boring I’ve forgotten what it was πŸ˜†

😎 cool πŸ™‚ smile πŸ˜₯ cry testing the smileys πŸ˜‰ wink

hi, happy to find this thread and to read that you have also done WW. I’ve been going to WW for the last eight years but hovering at the same weight. The 5:2 plan seems to be the kick in the pants I needed. I’m on my second week and will weigh in on Saturday. If I see two consecutive weeks, I may cry! My WW progress has been that bad.

I think this is a good boost to the WW plan. I will still go to meetings and weigh in and on my non fast day, I track what I’m eating.

I’m finding that the day after a fast, rather than wanting to binge, I continue to eat on the lighter side. So, I think that’s good.

Even so, I think for losing weight, “eating sensibly” means we need to track on non fasting days for success. I’m hoping this continues to work. I have never done any “fad” diet before. I lasted four days on South Beach. I hate all the extreme diets because they tell you you can’t eat certain things so i feel defeated right off the bat. This seems more attainable. I hope.

Hi wee,

Is there no end to your talents?
    Some of your jokes are so awful they’re brilliant! πŸ™‚
    Where did you get them all from?

And yours are equally silly, versy :). And they are all clean!
    I hope by using asterisks this one will get past the censors. It’s actually the translation of a Spanish joke.

Little Billy’s homework for tonight is to write a short composition entitled “Where do babies come from?”. Billy hasn’t a clue.

So he asks his sister, ‘Where did I come from?’ She replies, ‘Mum found you under a gooseberry bush’. Billy is a good little student so he makes a note: My sister says…

Then he asks his mum. She replies, ‘The angels dropped you in the hospital garden and the nurses went to pick you up.’ Again, Billy makes a note: My mum says…

Then he asks his granny. She replies, ‘The stork brought you’. Bill makes another note: My granny says…

Then he starts to write his composition: ‘I am very worried. It seems that no one in my family has had a @*!$ for three generations.’

The bit about the hospital garden was genuinely what I was told about the arrival of my baby brother when I was 4. It also explained the soft spot he had on his head like all newborns. The angels were all dyspraxic.

Welcome Mizlandry,
    Yes I have a history at WW as do most slimmers, these days I would not give them the time of day. I am very concerned about their marketing and motives. As far as I am concerned they are encouraging people to eat processed food and sugar based products. I now believe this to be very bad practice. It’s an organisation concerned with profit not health. Well that was a rant, sorry, I seem to be going off on a variety if subjects lately. I can tell you that is you stick to your 500 cal fast two days per week and don’t over indulge on the other days you will lose at least one pound per week. This may not happen if you are on medication.
    Tell us more about your diet history, likes and dislikes. We are a friendly bunch with lots of experience. I myself have lost four stone and lose 2 lb per week if I fast for two days and stick to 1200 cals on other days. If I overdo any day I add another fast day.
    Many of us do low carb because it seems to speed up weight loss and reduce IBS symptoms such as bloating.

Amazon,
    You are just showing off now!
    All those happy faces
    Glad you enjoyed ‘ham house’

Weemam,
    Thank goodness they are one liners because I have a shocking memory

Hiya all and welcome newbie . .I did WW many years ago but I found it expensive when you are on a pension . I lost 5 stones on Low Carb but to be honest I found it really restricting .

On 5.2 I have a wee bit( as we say in Scotland) of anything I fancy .Still incorperate Low Carb as much as possible .

I have dieted on and off all of my 72 years and I have NEVER found it as easy to do as 5.2 AND I have not felt as well for years . My IBS is so much better and my RA pain has gone down too . Hubby says that is because there is less weight on my joints …5.2 to thank for that too.

I feel much happier in myself and I am trying so hard not to do my hubby’s head in with running (well almost running) downstairs to show what else is falling off me .
    yesterday I threw out a pair of trousers and 2 bras what a brilliant feeling that was.

We went shopping yesterday and my bra loosened off completely . I had to sit back in the car to fasten it ,,,, too big so in bin lol .
    I just cannot praise this WOL and you lovely people enough for all the encouragement .
    When hubby is watching the news I am going to slip upstairs and see what else fits me :). I will try hard not to run downstairs to show him

Have t tell you something really nice . I told you about our youngest son Ross who has CP. he always used to give me money to buy myself something at birthdays or Christmas . He is 34 and got his own house 5 minutes away 2 years ago .
    The first Christmas after he left home he went into Debenhams and bought me a Maine fleece ( I like Maine) it was a 16 and didn’t fit BUT I would NEVER have taken it back because it was the first thing he had EVER bought me on his own …Well!! guess what IT FITS yesss IT fits me now πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ .

Herm here is a link

http://www.jokes4us.com/barjokes/index.html

love the baby joke lol

Wee xx

I don’t want to offend anyone, but here is my joke offering.

Have you heard about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?

Lays awake at night wondering if there is a dog!

Jojo, Ham House has the most amazing wall hangings I’ve ever seen, some of them tapestries and others silks. It also has beautiful furniture and the plasterwork on the ceiling, the wood panelling and doors including handles, locks and bolts etc. were amazing. I’ve never been anywhere like it before, and I shall be going back for another look. It is off the beaten track and I wouldn’t have known it was there if me and my friend didn’t have a plan to walk the whole of the Thames path in sections. We’ve done from Hampton Court to Putney, and from Vauxhall Bridge to Tower Bridge so far.

Having devoted myself to the dissertation for much of today, I’m catching up.

Thanks, jojo, for updating me on how teachers can comfort a child in distress. It’s good that it can still happen, but it must be hard at times when reaching out to a kid to a) make sure your hands don’t inadvertently land in a dubious area and b) make sure others can see you.
    Poor little guy, being thrown in at the deep end like that. Either the parents are clueless or, to be kind, maybe they come from a culture where kids are simply dumped at school in the hope they won’t realise that mum and dad are nowhere to be seen.
    The littlies in our family were so lucky. Now teleworking, my niece-in-law was previously based in a science park where there was an onsite creche about a minute’s walk from her workplace. She was able to get places for both her boys – ten years apart – when each of them was very small. The proximity of the creche meant that if there was ever an upset or an emergency she could be there in an instant. As a result, both boys slipped into school quite easily. But we all realised this was an unusually fortunate situation for her and her kids to be in.

Re WW. There are certain institutions that set my s**t detector working and WW is one of them. The ritual humiliation of public weighing, the cheers and tut-tutting, not to mention pressure to buy their brand. Maybe I’m being unfair as I’ve never, ever considered having anything to do with them.

Finally, about the forum and what you say about talking more to cyberbuddies than your earthbound friends. We all probably do and long may it continue. It may have something to do with the fact that we and our friends have interesting busy lives and getting together face to face, or even having a long phone call with a friend, can sometimes be like organising the D-Day landings. At least, you can chat to cyberpeeps even if you only have a few minutes to spare.

We all have 5:2 in common but we also share a lot of other interests and get to learn of still more new things from our fellow onliners. I used to post on the Woman’s Hour Message Board which sadly closed down, a victim of Beeb cutbacks. They posters a similar bunch of really nice, highly intelligent women and quite a number of equally delightful men. Of course there was a fair proportion of pains-in-the-bum of both genders. It goes with the territory.

On one occasion I was unwise enough to declare myself willingly childfree and also pro-choice. One nasty man called me a disgrace to womanhood, while one or two females called me either evil or mad and probably in need of help. What was lovely, though, was the number of people who rushed to my defence.

The mods apparently weren’t too bothered about personal attacks, they were more concerned with posters going off-topic. i.e. discussing things that hadn’t featured on Woman’s Hour. Don’t ask me why. All I know is that some very enjoyable discussions wre nipped in the bud.

Amazon, I’m glad you have found BBC Good Food useful. You are right about cutting the cals by not using oil or other fat. In some dishes, especially soups and stews, it’s just not necessary. I enjoyed your joke about the dylexic, agnostic insomniac. Glad also you had a good day at Ham House, somewhere I’ve been meaning to visit for ages. Is it fairly close to Kew Gardens? I ask because we are in North London, with a fairly straightforward connection by public transport across town to Kew, so I’m wondering if it could be a “two birds with one stone” day out?

Hermaj, it’s a 4 mile walk from Kew Bridge to Ham House and it is a bit off the beaten track to get there by bus. If you can get public transport to Richmond, it is 1.5 miles along the Thames Path, and it is a nice walk, but not paved, so proper shoes recommended.
    If you are feeling energetic you could do both in a day.
    Kew Gardens is just across the river from where I live and it take 20 minutes for me to walk there. I use it as my local park. I love it as every day it is possible to see something different.

I’ve attended WW and what really annoyed me was the rubbish that was spoken during the weekly talks given by the advisors. As a health professional I knew far more about healthy eating and nutrition than they did. What bothered me was that many of those attending had little idea and believed everything that was said, then put their hands in their pockets to pay for expensive “diet” food that had little to do with healthy eating.
    Losing weight should be about making wise decisions and eating things you like but in moderation, so that when you reach your goal you don’t have to make too many adjustments in your diet. That’s why most diets fail, I should know I’ve tried most of them!

Thanks for the welcome.

A little bit about me: I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am 49 and feeling kind of hopeless that I was careening toward 50 and unable to get that scale to budget. In fact, in the last year, I gained 15 pounds. I don’t have the anti-WW attitude. It’s been a good program and I think perhaps because I’m in the Bay Area, I don’t feel like they promote the packaged foods so much. Most of my meeting mates are all into organic, whole foods and we don’t really get sucked into the bars and all that crap. For me, I like the weekly weigh in so I don’t keep a scale at home and obsess about that and I do like the leader and the community. HOWEVER, I was just completely unmotivated by the plan.

What I always hated about any sort of crazy diet was the level of commitment asked. I’m an omnivore, I love to cook (and eat). I would try some crazy low carb regime and couldn’t stick with it because many of those diets tell you that you need to do these radical two week restrictions that just didn’t work for me. I currently take high blood pressure meds and have slightly high cholesterol and my doctor HAS recommended low carb. As a result, I have reduced my carb intake a lot, but I’m not willing to totally go off totally. I believe that eating whole foods, less processed will help.

Also, I’m not a snacker or a binge eater. I like three meals a day. I don’t sit there with a bag of chips or a tub of ice cream. But, when I eat I love a variety of things. I also don’t like breakfast very much. Because of this, the two day fast, seems to work really well for me. I’m used to sitting down 2-3 times of day to eat. So, if I sit down and eat 250 cals, I feel ok. Then, I have dinner, another 250 cals and it’s all good.

So, last week, I just started the 5:2 and did one day of fasting and when I weighed in, I was down 2 pounds. This week, with a two day fast, I am hoping for better results. What I’ve noticed is that the hunger pains aren’t that bad until it’s about bed time, but I work through that. And, what I also like is the next day, I’m not a craving mess out to binge eat. What is working is on the non fast days, I am mindful about what I’m eating and I write it all down.

Where I was probably going over my WW alotment EVERY SINGLE DAY, I’m now below that two days a week and probably for two more days, I eat right on the minimum target. I wasn’t doing this before.

Glad to have found this forum. Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

I should add, I’m trying to shed about 40 pounds.

Hi miz and welcome:

‘So, last week, I just started the 5:2 and did one day of fasting and when I weighed in, I was down 2 pounds. This week, with a two day fast, I am hoping for better results.’

The average weight loss for women on 5:2 is a little less than one pound a week. I trust you understand how quickly weight can reasonably be lost. This might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

I would hope you would not quit 5:2 if you don’t consistently lose two or more pounds a week. There is some additional information here: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thanks JOJO! I recognize that my initial weight loss will be the fact that I’m jump starting and will lose some water weight and it will go to 1 to 2 pounds a week. I am not looking for faster than that. It was also another thing that drew me to the plan because it’s a slower weight loss and I think that’s better overall. I’m happy with 1-2 pounds a week. ACTUALLY, I’m happy with .5 pounds a week! As long as it goes down overall.

hermajtomomi – my s**t detector was also on full bung when I went to WW a few years ago. They positively did NOT encourage you to eat an avocado which was too fatty apparently. Despite having amazing health benefits, they encouraged you instead to have a x 2 finger kit kat because there was only 102 cals in it. What the???????

Also, in the adverts at the moment a woman is eating chips and all kinds of naughties – kind of sending out the wrong message I think. Just love Tommy Cooper – more where those came from.

Go for it mizlandry – you can do it!!!

Well this is the end of my fasting day – I’ve done a 45 min step class and walked 8 miles. I didn’t eat for 18 1/2 hrs so I WELL deserved my poached eggs on toast at 6.30 pm. For all those on a low carb thingy turn away now – I also had wholemeal toast for supper (10.30pm) with sliced tomatoes on. Bloomin lovely …….

Hi Mizlandry,
    It was Simcoeluv that replied to your last message not me, remember to check posters name on the left. Saying that we all make mistakes occasionally.

The information posted on Simcoeluv’s links is great but we all do what works for us as individuals. I have considerable drive and persistence which up until now has been dedicated to my teaching. However I have retired now and can concentrate on loosing weight and converting my diet to a healthy sustainable one.

I am heading down a new path of combining 5:2 with plant based proteins such as quinoa, or nuts, instead of animal based ones such as meat, cheese and eggs. I also have porridge with fruit, pulses, loads of veg/fruit is unlimited. I have no processed foods( apart from the occasional tinned soup( usually at the gym). I will probably have fish and veg when out for a meal until I can find suitable restaurants, unlikely to be in my area, even vegetarian food is very limited locally. I eat potatoes but not daily. I don’t often eat bread, pasta or rice. I don’t drink alcohol.

This is a very restrictive diet but I have reached a stage when my focus is refined to treating my body with respect and mindfulness.

This is a challenge but I am determined to find a long term diet that makes weight management not an issue in the future. Luckily I live on my own so this makes it easier in terms of foods in my cupboard.

I don’t know how this will work out but I have enjoyed my meals this week – so far I have 14 recipes to try, then I will repeat them. My short term goal is 9 lbs by the 26 th September and a further stone by Christmas. I find having a weekly goal works better than just accepting what you get each weigh in day.

Most of the posters on this thread exercise daily, some doing high intensive, some aerobic, some yoga or Pilates. Other do sports and rope jumping. Exercise helps us tone up those muscles as we shrink, essential.

Good to have you on board. I am sure you will be able to contribute many tips and pick up useful tips on here. Glad you are getting something from ww, good to have support.

Drinking 4 pints of water daily helps especially on fast days, eating zero noodles is a great alternative to pasta or potatoes and very few calories. Lots of other tips if you have time to read back. We have several good cooks on this thread so you will never be short of a recipe idea.

Warning – I suffered headaches and irritability in the extreme during my first three months of fasting. I now believe this was withdrawal from sugar based foods.

Hermajtomomi,

Reception class – The distraught child is from a gypsy/ Romany family. Other children are Eastern European – currently 6 non English speakers. My daughter was in tears tonight, the first of many I suspect. Budget cuts, paperwork, training, baseline assessments, observations, lesson planning, 11 hour days, settling children, culminating in burn out after just one week. How sad? But she will survive, I am there to help with ideas and practical help. I feel as frustrated by the system as she is, it’s madness.

Time for bed, I need my beauty sleep. Busy day tomorrow – bowling am, bar work pm and specialist in the early evening. Hope that thesis is coming together. Deadlines do tend to focus the mind. Good Luck. Thanks for being a friend, let’s hope we manage that London meet up when your work is done.

Ply
    Weighing in tomorrow, wish me luck, suspect result will be good, feeling positively skinny for a person of 13 and half stone ish. When is your next fast? Are you on 5:2 or 4:3.

Good morning all.

Firstly the jokes:
    A bicycle can’t stand alone; it is two tired.
    A will is a dead giveaway.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
    A backward poet writes inverse.
    In a democracy it’s your vote that counts; in feudalism, it’s your Count that votes.

Amazon, loved the one about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac.

Weemam, ditto the ones about the mobius strip.

Second fast day of the week for me. Went to weight training after work yesterday and set new PB for some exercises. Weigh-in tomorrow morning.

Hi mizlandry, you seem to have made a good start. I have been following this way of life since the beginning of February, usually fasting B2B Mondays and Tuesdays as that fits in well with my life – work Mon-Wed so fasting is relatively easy away from home and temptation, coupled with being busy. I have lost an average of 1kg (2.2lb) per month without excluding any food group and eating up to my TDEE on nonFDs and 25% of TDEE on FDs. This suits me because otherwise it wouldn’t be a sustainable strategy in the long term. I like all the social aspects of eating and know it won’t succeed if I feel permanently deprived.

As Jojo said, do make sure you drink plenty of water. It not only helps with hunger pangs but also reduces the risk of dehydration, which can increase the risk of headaches. Much of the water we usually consume is in food, so FDs can mean reduced intake without care.

Happy Thursday all and keep up the good work.

@Miz

I’ve been on intermittent fasting IF for 1 year six months . I’ve taken breaks, I’ve switched from 5:2 to 4:3 to ADF . ive lost 54 lbs so far.

After watching eat, fast, live longer. And the companion piece from micheal Mosley, the truth about exercise. I’ve taken the approach that there is doable amount of dieting that I’m myself am comfortable with. That through IF wether I exercise or not I can continuously lose fat month after month.

Simcoeluv makes an excellent point that beginners may do very well, but it may be a good approach to to find what works. To have a a month or so of learning which foods help to achieve 2 fast days a week for 4-6 weeks before being overly concerned about scale ups and downs. That the most important feature of 5:2 is you can restart it any week for the rest of your life with high confidence that you know you’ll make it.

No matter my scale says and it’s has been wrong. It’s my clothes that are real deal. I’ve already bought slimmer clothes and now dont fit well either. 1 year and six months is long time. But my personal approach is to lose 100 lbs over 5 years period. After a car accident left me basically hobbled. I started not with exercise , but fasting. And to get back out of sedentary life Into a health foods and exercise lifestyle. I started to use stability ball to strengthen core muscles so even walking with pain, I could still be strong enough to keep impoving my situation day by day, week by week. I’m now happy to say I sprint, lift weights, work as as walker in warehouse. I’ve had dissapoinments along the way, but I keep on Keepin on.

Sorry if this is a bit samber . My elderly grandmother passed away at age 99 a few days ago. I’m using the information in the eat fast live longer video to try to improve my longevity so that I may also live as long. I do have to go buy appropriate clothes . It’s bitter sweet to need new formal clothes in a size 34. My only clothes for such an occasion are size 44.

It seems I agree with simcoeluv . The achievement for a new intermittent faster may not be the scale results in the first few months, but knowing at least 1 way to lose pounds month after month. I lost only 3lbs last month. At that pace I’ll reach my 100lbs lost goal in 2 1/2 years. And hopefully tp be at my weight when I turned 18 of 151lbs shortly there after.

I learned after adjusting to 5:2. To move my focus over my feed days and exercise on feed days when I have better energy and try to aim to lower my fat levels in my blood from the feed day fats. Cause there not much fat on fast days. So I tend to walk or jumprope not on fast days, but feed days. Tackling only 1 new health food day on menu. So my switch from comfort foods of past, to health and healing foods has also taken 1 1/2 years to learn about, experiment with, and learn to adjust to changes in my schedule and routines.

Just start with being able to do the 2 fasts pet week successfully. And perhaps everything else will just fall in place on your own best doable pace.
    Best wishes !

Excellent advice SAMM. What a good example you are to us all.

You guys are cracking me up today! The milk cartons at school have jokes on them, so at lunch duty I am bombarded with bad jokes told by first graders who can barely read. Adorable, but yours are much better! (Most of them, anyway!)

Jojo, I wish you all the luck in the world on your weigh-in! Lord knows the effort you put in, mental and physical, should be rewarded! Weird how sometimes we feel skinny and sometimes enormous, isn’t it?

I am generally doing 5:2, but if an extra fast day seems easy, mostly because I have been too busy to eat, I go for it. I ended up with B2B Monday and Tuesday, and I will fast again tomorrow. I hVe also NOT been recording my food or exercise, mostly because of being busy, but I am eating things that I know the calorie counts for, so still keeping track in my head. Also, I lost my fitbit last week, so steps are not being counted. I am completely off the grid!!

Xox everyone, echo the sentiments of chatting more with you all than physical friends!

@ JoJo
    Here is a quick read on the protein questions.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/404105-does-protein-help-heal-wounds/

I’ll post other links as they pertain to relevance

Basically it’s my understanding very important to have protein no less than 4 1/2 hours apart. At approx 20% BMR on fast days. Typically less than 20g on fast days.

However as ADF & IF are long term lifestyles . There could be issues if adequate protein isn’t eaten on feed days. Especially for pregnant women. Where pregnant women should intake 25g/ 25/ 25g with their three meals a day.

When I go beyond typically cardio exercise and go on with compound lifting for strength training. I make sure I do my math .yes I want to be strong as ox that fight to defend myself if need to. But poor protein ingestion over the long term, over years can be harmful to bone density as if protein needed isn’t present from diet, the human body can take resources from the pathways that keep bones dense.

Whether animal or vegetable isn’t as important to bone health. But I’m still reading on.
    My guess is chicken legs boiled in waterwith the fats boiled out and skimmed off. May be healthiest protein due to it’s amount of zinc that also requires ingestion to keep at peak level. Oh then theirs mollusks too, buuuuut I can’t say as I’ve ever heard anyone ever rave about mollusks . The whey protein if I understand. Correctly is a performance protein . Is formulated these days to best uptake after intake. So that serious athletes can get what they need in their blood , so it protects tissues byway of being one of the quickest sources of protein uptake.

It whey causes my sugars to spike. So I intake nuts,beans,eggs,fish. On fast days doubling my health benefit by choosing Proteins that help my DHA uptake. I’ve said in past . You can double you exercise but you can’t double exerise’s health benefit. IE compound exercise. HOWEVER you can double the health benefit by feeding your exercise routine the best foods! Watermelons,walnuts,& wheys OH MY.

Going out for fish with relatives to and to buy new clothes.
    KEEP ON KEEPIN ON!

Sorry, SAMM, but boiled chicken legs=gross

As my grandmother used to say, “What do the Irish know about cooking, they boil their meat!” No offense anyone, I am of Irish heritage!

Three Legged Chicken

A man was driving along a rural road one day when he saw a three legged chicken running down the road. He was amused enough to drive along side it for a while, as he was driving he noticed the chicken was running 30 mph.

Pretty fast chicken, he thought, I wonder just how fast it can run. So he sped up and the chicken did too! They were now moving along the road at 45 mph!

The man in the car sped up again, to his surprise the chicken was still running ahead of him at 60 mph!!!

Suddenly the chicken turned off the road and ran down a long driveway leading to a farmhouse. The man followed the chicken to the house and saw a man in the yard with dozens of three legged chickens. The man in the car called out to the farmer “How did you get all these three legged chickens?”

The farmer replied, “I breed ’em. Ya see it’s me, my wife and my son living here and we all like to eat the chicken leg. Since a chicken only has two legs, I started breeding this three legged variety so we could all eat our favorite piece.”

“That’s amazing!” said the driver “How do they taste?”

“Don’t rightly know, I ain’t caught one yet!”

Ply try them with hot sauce . Dominoes delivers health food who knew!

Buffalo sauce makes everything better, SAMM!

Good morning jokers,
    As suspected Ply I am down 1 lb, I really thought it would be 2lbs minimum, but maybe the other one will disappear tomorrow. I know my body so well now, I know it has gone. My stomach feels and looks so flat I cannot believe it, it’s a joy to look in the mirror side view, no spandex for me.

I think I got chatted up again yesterday but I am not really sure, he kept paying me compliments and blushing when I made cheeky replies, but he didn’t say any more. He has a heart condition so he may not be the guy for me, I think any chap that takes me on will need to have a strong heart, I have a passionate soul. But I suppose at least I could sort his healthy diet out, why not put all this research and experimentation to good use. Well it is the duty of a barmaid to be cheeky and fun, and get flirted with so it was probably innocent. It’s the way I tell the jokes that’s drawing them in, thanks for supplying so many guys. But I can only remember one per day. I need to look into memory enhancing foods, I am sure SAMM and I have discussed this but ‘ I can’t remember’ da dum (;-))

Feed day today, jacket potato for lunch and I need to eat my leftover curry so I will dump that on top – yum

I have bought lots of second hand bargains for my holiday, they look fab. I have started looking at size 14 now, planning for the future, not ordering yet though, no room in the wardrobe.

SAMM – I definately feel different on plant proteins even after three days, I am energised and never hungry, it is so weird. I am having to really force the water down though, just not thirsty. Could it be that there is less salt in plant proteins? Also my body temperature is higher, it hasn’t been that warm outside, overcast at times, but I just feel too hot to wear cardigans – mystery?

Slept better last night, so I really need to keep standing to less than two hours at the moment. Let’s see what the Doctor says tonight, not looking forward to that jab, it’s like a bloody knitting needle.

Looks like rain today, shame I was enjoying our Indian summer.

What is everyone up to?
    Sorry Ply and hermajtomomi I know you are both hard at work. Ply I too remember those bad jokes from young children, painful but you simply have to laugh, they look at you so expectantly. Perhaps you should try laughter yoga with them, it includes some games for child( circle types). How did the girl’s running club go?

Speak tonight guys

Whoops, forgot to put my joke in

This one is for the children ply

What did the waiter say to the duck

Shall I put his on your bill?

I know, I know, but the kids will love it

Morning JoJo and well done for another pound blasted away!! And I am so glad to see you are going to eat something as simple as a jacket potato and curry. Sounds lovely.

Wow your sexy dresses are certainly attracting the gentlemen. It must be fun flirting and pulling pints. I love long dresses and I’m sure there is an inner hippy in me. The dresses by Nomads Clothing (I won’t send you the link) are so feminine and floaty but not cheap so I wait until birthdays and Christmas.

Here’s to another sunny day in Alloa – normal eating day for me today so chicken stir fry for tea (with loads of chillis of course)!

V xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Morning all.

FD3 for me. I slept in this morning and am trying to motivate myself into doing some exercise but my back is so sore and stiff, I’ve made an appointment to see my GP as it has been going on for too long to believe that it is going to get better without treatment of some description.
    I’ll start with some stretches and see how it goes.

Boiled chicken! I prefer the term poached, with some herbs and spices in the water. Save the cooking liquid and when it is cold, skim off the fat and use it as a tasty base for soup.

Good to read the jokes everyone is contributing, and IMO the silly ones are the best.

Have a good day everyone πŸ™‚

Great job on another pound vanished, Jojo! Flat tummies, yay! Seems
    like the barmaid gig is right up your alley, keep flirting away! Make
    them bring their health records to the first date, your energy could
    be too much for a weak heart!
    The running club is a runaway success!

My scales are very simple, just tell me how much I weigh, no calculations or anything, and I’m not sure how accurate they are if they show a 1lb loss. I can’t decide if I should stick with them or go and buy something a bit more sophisticated and track my weight more often.

Flirting makes you feel good doesn’t it…… I’m having my hair cut later as there is a noticeable absence of flirting material on the horizon!

I’ve done some stretching and can now stand up straight. I think I’ll leave the workout until later as I must do food shopping after the hairdresser because there is no green veg in the house, and that will never do πŸ˜†

Versy, sorry to disappoint you, it was a quinoa curry but absolutely scrumptious, the potato was normal though πŸ™‚

I have just had an amazing game of bowls at my new club, my team won which is always nice, they won despite me but I managed a few good ends.

I had forgotten what fun it is to do bar maiding, it’s been 30 years since I did this job. It is not a very busy bar and the arithmetic is simple. Most people drink beer or soft drinks. They are not exactly a demanding crowd at the bowls club.

Ply, I can hear the positivity in your tone, go girl!

Have a great day all

Half my post got lost somehow!

The running club is a runaway success!

Isn’t it amazing how a haircut can make you feel better, even if it is just a trim πŸ™‚
    I did some shopping on the way home and am planning a squid and prawn stir fry for tonight and a seafood stew for tomorrow.
    I’ve not had a single hunger pang yet today. I was a bit concerned about shopping on a fast day, but I stuck to the fruit and veg aisle and the fish counter, and avoided looking at anything else apart from where I was walking.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,801 through 1,850 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.