Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,001 through 16,050 (of 16,657 total)

• Evening All,
    Can’t sleep, shocking day for bowls, eating and life. Really low moment. I am trying to get into a positive mode but finding it really hard. I feel lonely and disheartened by my own lack of discipline with eating. I am planning on going to the gym in the morning mainly for a swim, jacuzzi and steam hopefully that will lift my spirits and determination. September today as it is past midnight, I am hoping to make this a good month for weight loss. I really need to get in control. Turning down eating out offers as they really sabotage my good days.

I have no excuses, no foodaholics do really. Just need to stop eating.

I thank you all for your support. Amazon- I wish you luck with your holiday goal, the food sounds exciting. Happy- I envy you your level of fitness.

Jo, every day is a new day. Life is made up of thousands of individual, brand new days. The past is irrelevant, life is right now.
    Ate too much yesterday? Not important! It is what you do today that makes life a joy. Embrace the positive, look for little pleasures.
    As Happy said some time ago….we are all yo-yo dieters…try to keep the swings within a tiny band, monitor what you do every day, enjoy all aspects of life, food is only a small part.
    We southerners are celebrating spring flowers today, but you northerners can rejoice in the gorgeous autumn colours which will be developing soon. Life and the world is a joyous place. P πŸ™…πŸ™…

Hello πŸ’–
    Purple how sweet are you! Every day is a good day I keep telling myself. This way or that way πŸ™πŸ»
    Jo what do you think is taking you out of NF Daily allowances and why! You are so driven and are so pourpuseful. Where’s the missing link? We are all in the same boat but different section on the journey.
    Nama is there any roast lamb on you upcoming celebrations? Humm… Roast lamb πŸ—
    RT- This Betty Crocker here isn’t too good with abbreviations. Yfee is a lucky one with ready meals on FD. Can hardly wait to hear about the next looser.
    Amazon and Happy – do you have the same cookbook. Never heard about that cook.
    Tomorrow going for mammogram/ultrasound and bone density test. Fasting and to keep me distracted finish one of out tenants new installed Windows.
    “Tomorrow is another day! Jet’s give it a try”.
    πŸ’‹

Morning All,
    Got some sleep eventually but suffered stomach cramps and chronic indigestion and nausea for hours last night. Guess this was coming on yesterday so caused me to feel low. Lots of water and exercise today should help plus a restful evening. PVE – thanks for reassurance, could you move here and take me in hand fir 6 months? Ha ha.
    I had a friend last year who had a massive heart attack, he very nearly died. Thanks to surgery he has been given another chance, he is only 51. He has learned his lesson and wants to be around for his young son. He stopped working long hours, sold his business, stopped drinking alcohol and eats healthily. He is planning for the future, I need to do the same, stop looking back on failures and start planning for success. Easier said than done but I am sure it will make me feel better. As Sam would have said ‘Keep on keeping on’

You are sounding chirpier, Jo.
    Can’t move over. Mr P needs me to keep him on the straight and narrow.
    Thursday fast going well. πŸ˜‰ P

Morning/evening all,

Blue sky and sunshine this morning but there was a distinct autumnal nip in the air before the sun came up, although the forecast seems to be declaring an Indian summer. I do hope it is correct!

I am feeling very hungry this morning but fortunately can’t eat as I’m having a blood test this morning and I need to be fasted for it. I’m looking forward to my coffee afterwards πŸ™‚

Jo, I’m sorry to hear you are feeling down but you know that eating is only going to make you feel worse so you need to find another solution when you need a “lift” One thing you must not do is beat yourself up over it. As Purple says, every day is a new one, forget about yesterday you can’t change it, just concentrate on today. We are all here for you.

HCB Yotam Ottolenghi was born and raised in Jerusalem and he is now based in the UK. He has a restaurant in London, writes in numerous magazines and newspapers and is often on TV. He has also written several cookery books which are very popular. The one I have is all about Middle Eastern cookery and I believe that Plenty is vegetarian recipes.

Time to go,

Have a good one everybody 😜

Jo, your post appeared after I had written mine.

As you log everything you eat, is there anything you had yesterday that may have contributed to your feeling unwell? Maybe you should note down when you are ill and see if you can identify something particular that disagrees with you now that you no longer have a gall bladder. It might not be something obvious like too much butter or cheese.

I’m glad you feel better today, don’t overdo it you need to be kind to yourself πŸ™‚

Amazon,
    I didn’t have anything unusual just scrambled egg, crispbreads, an orange, salad and a bowl of muesli. Could have been the milk I guess. I don’t usually have cereal, just fancied something different. I was supposed to be fasting but I just felt too ‘low energy’ and had two bowls matches to play. Drinking water today. But you are right I need to start recording again, getting lazy. I am trying not to feel guilty as I know it doesn’t help.
    CONTROL if only that could come in tablet form. Everytime I see a really obese person lumbering along I hear myself saying silently ‘Just stop eating, your life and health could be better’ yet it’s all a matter of perspective. All those Skinny minis are probably saying the same about me. My clothes are getting tighter not looser, not happy here. Gritting my teeth and trying to get through one day at a time.

Now that person would be very rich Jo, imagine self control in a pill – we would all be queueing up for that!

Sorry to hear you are down, perhaps exacerbated by tiredness? Perhaps you need to get back in the pool or a very long walk. Something to get the blood really pumping and really clear your head. I know you love your bowls and it is exercise, but perhaps the competitiveness of it undoes some of the benefits? When you play so often, I suspect it is not as relaxing as a good swim…. I really miss it if I can’t get my usual swims in.

Just try to remember how far you have come with all the weight you have lost. x

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    Nama great news indeed to see the son the (groom) pains and discomfort etc is beginning to ease up. I did have a manly style smirk at the very thought of poodle doggy doodoo pick up duty πŸ˜† and
    Other son in constant anticipation of the imminent arrival of his first child, it seems they are the first young couple ever to conceive a baby!
    Our eldest boys partner cannot possibly get by in a 3 bedroom house its just way too small for the 3 of them when I quipped we had 4 boys 2 to a bedroom in bunks and we seemed happy enough and that we did not lose or damage anyone well that won’t be happening for me !!
    We did not seek the gender of our 5 children life changes and gets very complicated also with his first Father’s Day Sunday she has arranged major street parade fireworks and ticker tape town hall presentation no people just joking but it is a big deal for them. Yfee is very chuffed only 1 egg and lettuce roll around 3pm today and an early dinner at 5pm I can’t believe how light it is today HCB I am only doing this for the 1st couple of weeks just to give her the confidence and belief TDEE 5 days 2 days fasting 500cal add time and rate steady as she goes I think before your time she had a go at this wol but slipped off the wagon and did not bother to get on again so this is round 2.
    In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can. Nikos Kazantzakis

β€œIt’s is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Well done Mrs RT. It has to be easier with someone else planning the food for you. (I wouldn’t know, as, like you RT, I have to control both our appetites.πŸ™„)
    Looking forward to news from Granny Nama soon. 😊 P

I’ve just received my book parcel, River Cottage preserves no 2 (I’m going to use Pam’s recipe for Piccalilli and try a couple of other recipes) and Hugh’s Three Good Things. Was it Purple who recommended it? Thank you for doing so, such a great book and so inspirational.
    Reading it has made me very hungry, I think I’ve spent the past hour salivating and working out what to replace fennel (yuck) with πŸ˜‰

Today’s dinner will be a warm and cold vegetable mezze. I’m making a warm bean and courgette salad, pea puree, more mushrooms with garlic and I have some cauliflower with tahini from Tuesday. There will be leftover bean salad and puree for the weekend. I like having small portions of lots of different things as it feels like a feast.

Really hungry now……….

How about celery as a replacement, Amazon? 😘😜

Hi Ply,

Celery is devil’s food (spit, spit,spit) and I dislike it even more than I dislike fennel πŸ˜†

It’s the texture of celery more than the taste that I can’t bear and it makes me shudder to think about eating it.

I’m thinking finely sliced crisp lettuce hearts to replace raw fennel, but haven’t decided about what I would use if it is to be cooked.

I knew that about you, just being fresh! Maybe cabbage, bok choy, or chard stems?

Just couldn’t resist! It’s raining and I felt like eating some warm soup.
    Amazon very helpful info. That Cheg isn’t known here in the US.
    See you later

ply,

I did wonder if you knew, ha ha ha!

Chard leaves are a great idea, as is bok choy or even Chinese cabbage.

Thanks πŸ™‚

So many recipes, so little time…………… πŸ˜ƒ

Amazon,

It was Pam’s recipe piccalilli that I made last weekend, although I must admit to adding a bird’s eye chilli…or two… Obviously it needs to mature for a few weeks, but first impressions are favourable. I’m not sure all jars will last til October πŸ˜€

Hi Happy,

I’ve been looking at recipes and some say to cook the vegetables which didn’t seem right to me. I saw the book when I was buying Hugh’s book so decided to invest in it as I don’t have a decent book on preserving etc.

I decided to make mincemeat today so got everything out and donned my apron. Looked at the recipe and I’d forgotten the apples. Jumped in the car to the supermarket, got the apples came home started again and I’d also forgotten the oranges required for zest and juice…….
    My mincemeat is unique as it has lemon and lime zest and juice πŸ˜›

Hi Fast Trackers and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) πŸ˜‰
    Purple I have no doubt Mr P will enjoy this one I know I did πŸ˜†
    HOW TO SHOWER LIKE A WOMAN
    β€’ take off clothes and place them sectioned in a laundry basket according to colour.
    β€’ walk to bathroom wearing dressing gown
    β€’ if you see husband along the way cover up any exposed areas
    β€’ look at your physique in the mirror, make mental note to do more leg lifts in the morning
    β€’ get in the shower
    β€’ use face cloth, arm cloth, leg cloth, long loofah and pumice stone
    β€’ wash your hair once with sage and cucumber shampoo with 43 added vitamins
    β€’ condition your hair with grapefruit and mint-enhanced conditioner
    β€’ wash your face with crushed apricot facial scrub for ten minutes until red
    β€’ wash the rest of your body with gingernut and jaffa cake body wash
    β€’ shave armpits and legs
    β€’ turn off shower
    β€’ sponge off all wet surfaces in the shower
    β€’ spray mould spots with tile cleaner
    β€’ dry with towel the size of a small country
    β€’ wrap hair in super absorbent towel
    β€’ return to bedroom wearing long dressing gown and towel on head
    β€’ if you see husband along the way cover up any exposed areas
    β€’ spend 40 minutes drying hair with hand held jet engine
    HOW TO SHOWER LIKE A MAN
    β€’ take clothes off while sitting on the edge of the bed and leave them in a pile
    β€’ walk naked to the bathroom
    β€’ if you see wife along the way, shake your manhood and make a “woo-hoo” sound
    β€’ admire your physique in the mirror and the size of your manhood. Scratch backside
    β€’ get in shower
    β€’ wash your face
    β€’ wash your armpits
    β€’ blow your nose in your hands and let the water rinse them off
    β€’ spend majority of time washing privates and surrounding area
    β€’ wash your hair with stuff from the bottle nearest to hand
    β€’ make a shampoo mohawk
    β€’ pee like a racehorse
    β€’ rinse and get out of the shower
    β€’ fail to notice water on the floor because the curtain was hanging out of the bath
    β€’ admire size of manhood in mirror again
    β€’ leave shower curtain open, wet mat on floor, light and fan on
    β€’ return to bedroom with towel around waist
    β€’ if you pass wife, pull off towel and make a “woo-hoo” sound
    β€’ throw wet towel on bed
    β€’ run fingers through hair twice to dry it
    THE END

Have A Happy Weekend All You beautiful Losers πŸ˜†
    Peace RT

RT,

That is a good one.

I rarely spend longer than 5 minutes in the shower and you have finally enlightened me as to what others get up to πŸ˜‰

Have a good weekend and not too many tinnies in the shed…….

Amazon,

Thank you! Your tale of forgetting ingredients has reminded me that I need some jam sugar for (funnily enough!) jam (and crystallised ginger for rhubarb and ginger jam). I need to get some fruit out of the freezer so I can get peas and beans in…

I agree re: not needing to pre-cook vegetables for piccalilli. They go into the hot sauce so get a little cooking, and I think the 24 hour salting softens them slightly, and we definitely want a bit of crunch.

RT,

Oh dear! I recognise myself more in ‘how to shower like a man’ 😊

Ha ha, Amazon, I’m glad to see I’m not alone in being uninitiated in the ways of (high maintenance πŸ˜€) ladies in the bathroom…!

Happy,

The worst thing about my sorry tale is that I had a shopping list in my bag with said ingredients writ large πŸ˜†

The mincemeat is now cooling and will then be put in jars ready to go. I have a cake recipe that uses a 1lb jar of it and I want to bake one for someone which is why I’m making it so soon. I won’t buy ready made as mine is far superior and I know what it contains.

The mini-market round the corner sells jam sugar all year round, unlike my local supermarket.

I’m going to the PYO farm on Monday and will be pickling, preserving and jamming to my heart’s content next week. I may have to buy some more Kilner jars………..

Well our weather forecast is currently poor this weekend. Pickling, preserving and baking are more likely to win out over cleaning… And I think you’ve convinced me to have a go at making my own mincemeat this year πŸ˜€

Mr P had a good giggle, RT πŸ˜€
    In our house, I’m the expert on the 3 minute shower. He plans to empty Sydney’s water supply every shower.
    I can’t even read the labels to identify the shampoo from the conditioner, so more than 2 bottles would be a nightmare.

Yes, Amazon. I’m the 3 Good Things fan. I had never eaten fennel, knowingly, before I bought it. I use it all the time and find, in good flavoursome recipes, even Mr Fussy will happily eat it.

I LOVE waking up on Friday and Tuesday mornings and realising it is NOT a fast day! Woohoo!

Gentle drizzle all night, so my garden will be delighted…spring has sprung. Have a good weekend everyone. P

PS Jason Fung’s latest blog has some good links to lists of insulinogenic foods. Well worth a look. P

Happy,

I’ve been making mincemeat for about 20 years and I use Delia’s recipe from her Christmas book but these days with half of the amount of sugar specified. It is traditional and doesn’t have what I think of as strange ingredients like apricots, cranberries etc. I leave that to Nigella πŸ˜‰
    I buy whole peel as IMO it tastes better and only takes a few minutes to cut it up.

Delia also has a recipe for a mincemeat and apple strudel which I’ve made a few times when entertaining during the festive season.She recommends serving it with cinnamon ice cream and helpfully provides a recipe πŸ™‚

I’ve made chutney and pickled onions for years and chilli jam in recent times but never made jam or other pickles before so it is a new adventure to look forward to.

I need some rain for my garden and not gentle drizzle as it needs a good soaking.

I don’t need breakfast today…I’ve eaten vicariously 😁😁😁P

I’m totally in your showerbox, P. πŸ™‚ Can barely read the labels, and have recently stopped soaping in all but the necessary areas, to protect the bacteria. After all, I’m not out getting sweaty and filthy sitting at my desk all day. OH insists on his ten minutes!

And no breakfast today, too, left-over quiche for an early lunch before a five hour trip north-east to collect honey for the Lion’s Saturday market. Lots of lovely green-and-gold wattles out, and a completely different climate. We went from gale winds and rain on this side of the Rimutakas, and met sunshine all the way up the Wairarapa, watching the clouds trying to get over the ranges from the west. We ended up with bags of mushroom compost to spread on the vegie garden tomorrow, and an alstromeria, colour unknown. It was so good to get out of the city, and see the new lambs and calves in the paddocks.

So, no leftovers in the Barata household. Anything that has to be thrown out goes to the worm farm, or the compost heap πŸ™‚

It’s hard to think about Christmas when spring has just sprung, but I have booked our lunch for the day with my elderly aunt- we have set a tradition, this must be the fourth year. Hope she’s up to it by then, 92 next week and visibly failing.

I meant to mention, we are living up to our Shaky Isles name. Hit by a big one in the last day…

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83827254/Big-shake-was-complex-and-may-have-been-two-earthquakes

Hope it’s not a preshock for the big one Barata. 😐

Hope that’s the big one for the foreseeable…

Barata you are making me homesick for spring, but not for earthquakes. You paint a beautiful picture of rural New Zealand. Enjoy your spring weekend.
    Here in rural France, summer is tired. In fact the Met office says it’s autumn here now.

Since a census is taking place, I too shower like a man, but I do have some apricot scrub. I don’t own a dressing gown.

I am doing a two day almost zero calorie fast and I don’t indulge in your foodie contributions, Amazon. Just too attractive. We are skipping all extras at present and trying to do a bit for Italy in the aftermath of last week’s earthquake. Italy is my all favourite European country and people are victims of greedy politicians and crooks. Anyway skipping the extras is good for the waistline.

I am in the same boat as you, Jojo. I got down to BMI 28, but yoyo rather than lose. My yoyo is a 2 kilo range. Hopefully this two day fast will move a bit. At the same time OH eats and loses weight. All a bit unfair. I bought a size 14 wetsuit to continue swimming in the local lakes well into autumn, I can get it on easily enough but a few kilos less inside would be better.
    So you can think of me, Purple, as you are enjoying your lovely meals, your expat kiwi mate is only on Miso soup for another 24 hours.
    ” Always look on the bright side of life.”

Bonne JournΓ©e/nuit.
    Wiwi

Wiwi,

I’m pretty sure we would call yoyoing within a 2kg range ‘maintenance’.

Always look on the bright side of life πŸ™‚

I love that song. One of my favourite songs, it’s going to get played at my wake. Always look on the bright side of life. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

I’m also a fast person through the shower, don’t soap anywhere except essentials, and don’t put conditioner in hair. I add a few drops of jojoba oil later, and don’t dry my hair with a jet engine. I’ve lived through too many droughts to waste water on a,long shower.

Thanks, RT, we both laughed out loud. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Glad the NZ quake didn’t have any effect onshore.

Have lasted 22 hours without food, and just made my favourite vegetable soup. The one called, open the fridge and see what needs using up. 🍡🍡 Today’s soup has a leek, half an onion, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes and a few herbs. I added some chilli and salt.

Cheers, Bay 🌺🌺🌺

Wiwi, definitely maintenance now. 🍏🍏

Well it seems that all the ladies here shower like a man… So RT, how many products do you use in the shower?! πŸ™‚

Morning All,
    Having been brought up in a large family where hot water was in short supply I am definitely in the ‘quick’ shower camp but always tidy up and wipe tiles. I do use ‘mint’ shampoo because I like the zing but without conditioner I would be in trouble as I have shoulder length hair. I only dry my hair if I am heading out, otherwise I leave it. Barata – I also agree soap is over rated and skin fares better without too much. I shower twice per week only but tend not to be a sweaty, dirty individual. Full wash daily is quicker and preserves your skin. The males of my household are ‘bath’ only versions and can be hours in the bathroom. My son’s girlfriend and my daughter however fits the female model to a tee, very high maintenance. Post hair drying comes straightening which takes forever. In our day we just twisted it as we were drying it, just as effective. Actually I believe we occasionally ironed it under brown paper, we must have been mad.
    I am feeling much healthier and happier today, those toxins have been washed out of my body with gallons of water and a no food 24 hour fast. I nearly collapsed at bowls yesterday with a severe headache and nausea ( it was scorching hot but I kept drinking and used a golf umbrella throughout the match) when it finished I came home and went to bed at 7 pm, slept until 7 am. Unheard of for me 12 hours sleep.
    Nama- I swim three time per week now and have started yoga again. I am comitted to bowls until the end of September because I am competing. Once booked I need to be there. I enjoy the competitive side of bowls. I wouldn’t classify it as exercise exactly. My dog walk has more steps than a game of bowls yet it is less than half the time. I still like my walks both with and without dogs.
    I am off to the vet with a pigeon that I found on my patio this morning, it can’t fly but otherwise seems perky. The RSPCA gave me a log number to get its treatment. They don’t have the resources to collect them anymore.
    I will eat a light lunch today, maybe soup then salad for dinner. Back in control, may it last!

Great to hear you feel better Jojo, something obviously poisoned you!

RT you really started a ‘wet’ discussion this morning! Personally, I LOVE a long shower, must be the Pisces in me! So relaxing, its my luxury! Here in Melbourne I get into serious trouble if I am in there longer than 10 mins as our water costs a small fortune, but in Jamieson the water tank is always overflowing, so I really linger under the hot water when we are there! I don’t think I am high maintenance, but I also love using a lovely shampoo and conditioner (L’Occitane, from your part of the world Wiwi), surely a girl can have a bit of luxury in her old age? While the conditioner is on, I scrub all over with a lovely long handled brush…. if I haven’t got time for this luxury I postpone it, not worth getting undressed to go in and out in 5 mins! I don’t believe husband even gets wet, he is so quick!

Purple, the trick with the shampoo and conditioner is to put a big S on top of the shampoo and a big C on the conditioner (marking pen), so they can be seen without the specs on…..its just about being organised!

My anticipated fast went AWOL today when son insisted on sharing some hot chips at lunch time….so it will be a Saturday fast instead! Eggs Benedict for dinner with a tiny bit of bacon plus smoked salmon and Hollandaise sauce on top, yummo! Have a great weekend all!

Morning/evening all

This thread went through a quiet patch and it seems to have livened up again πŸ™‚

Lots of interesting posts regarding showers. I use soap to wash my hands never anywhere else. I use natural chemical free products for cleaning my body, my clothes and my home. I always use conditioner as my hair is coloured and needs looking after due to all the chlorine and the fact that it isn’t it’s natural colour but don’t tell anyone πŸ˜‰

I’ve just calculated my BMI and it is 25.9 which is very encouraging. So close……

Food free fast today. I shall ignore the siren call of the pea puree and bean salad and enjoy it all the more tomorrow.

My passport has just been delivered complete with Myanmar visa 😎

Have a good one everybody 😜

End of second sugar-free September day. No problem, but I confess to having cleaned up the Brie-and-rice crackers. Cheese is not on tomorrow’s shopping list, though, so have moved on from there.

I’m glad you are feeling better, Jojo. The sound you hear is a world-wide sigh of relief πŸ™‚ I hope your pigeon soars again.

You are so right about being organised, Nama! I like your suggestion. I write my name on my items in the work fridge, so no pilfering.

There will be a few insurance claims, Bay. A chimney down here, some cracks in structures there, some goods off supermarket shelves. But nothing major (touch that natural tree-like organism), no tsunami and no lives threatened.

Hair gets 30 seconds of the dryer on work days – weekends it can look after itself. πŸ™‚

Barata,

I love Brie. When I last went food shopping there was a huge pile of perfectly ripe slices on sale and I got as far as picking one up and then told myself I had quite enough cheese already and put it back.
    Next time πŸ™‚

When I worked the fridge in the staff room was not a safe place to leave food with so many people in and out and ravenous staff on nights with 4am munchies. Fortunately we had a fridge in my office. Nothing worse than going on your lunch break and discovering that someone else had eaten it 😫

It is cool and overcast today. I wish the clouds would either give us some rain or buzz off!

Hi Folks,
    I am extremely careful how to use water! My hair is extremely long so wash twice a week also I don’t let the water run for nothing. Otherwise I shower very quick. I don’t have too many bottles as well. My husband I have no idea what he does in there. He is that male RT mentioned. I am neat, he is not.
    Rarely use the dishwasher, laundry once a week 2 separate loads. We have well water here.
    Barata just the word tsunami give me chills! They are predicting a big one someday coming from the Atlantic Ocean coming straight no NYC. We are to far. I am glad your earthquake was minor.
    Beautiful day here! Having a couple later for fungi risotto.
    No news to report from Princess Scale! I am a bit discouraged.
    Enjoy the weekend Guys.
    ❀️

Hi All,
    Probably won’t post this weekend as it is going to be super busy. I won’t be fasting but I will be careful, salads mostly.
    Amazon- We had rain today- hurrah says the garden but my fellow bowlers were not thrilled, we all got very wet and cold this afternoon.
    Stilton is my favourite cheese, I have it weekly, small portion melted over apple slices.
    No problem avoiding sugar for me as I rarely have convenience foods these days, avoiding bread is still my bug bear.
    Barata- the pigeon was eating seed and drinking water so I have hope for it, safely delivered to the vet.
    Amazon- well done on your BMI- good work.
    Nama- I think you are right, certainly a virus of some description, starved it of food and drowned it so feeling much better both stomach and head. I had a lovely swim today, chilly here so I was alone in the outdoor heated pool. I really prefer to swim outside all year round, fresh air is so much nicer than chemical smell of the indoor pool. I realise they both have the same chemicals in the water though. I am not into sea swimming, too cold most of the year.
    Spent an hour and thirty minutes just vacuuming this evening, dripping with sweat by the time I finished, such hard work, especially the two stair cases. Seriously considering restricting the dogs to less of the house. the dogs never seem to stop moulting.
    Kew Garden is on television at the moment, looking great, loving the salvias.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Love the term ‘Princess Scale’, HBC. 😊
    I used to be able to shower (every day) with one bucketful of water, including washing waist length hair, when we lived in the bush and had very limited water (and I do mean VERY). It really does change your perspective! We didn’t have electrcity at all for over 6 months too.
    And if you told the kids today, they wouldn’t believe you πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Jo,

Was it a racing pigeon? They often stop, exhausted. Pigeons often get felled in mid air by peregrines, you don’t necessarily see any wounds unless you lift up the wings for a full exam.

I like a good Stilton too! Preferably with a glass or two of port πŸ˜€

Re: vacuuming. Our cats have free access through the house and shed daily, so I can sympathise! Luckily OH knows how to wield the vacuum so downstairs gets a run over most days from one or other of us. I’ve not threatened the cats with restricted access yet…although I have threatened shearing!

Re: personal grooming. I very rarely dry my hair, but for some reason I feel the need to lie to my very polished hairdresser! I’m 47 and live on a farm, she’s 22 and goes clubbing, why do I feel the need to apologise for my natural look?! Although obviously I live in daily fear that the hens will tut at me for letting myself go…

We’re on a private water supply and it does make you very aware of water wastage. Hoe much water runs down the drain before it runs hot enough for showering or washing up? In a drought I collect that wasted tap water for plants/toilet flushing, etc. And showering – wet yourself all over, water off, soap yourself, rinse! And every house should be plumbed to collect grey water for toilet flushing.

Happy, it’s like anything ‘on tap’, a lot gets wasted. For example, every crumb of my homemade bread, every drop of my kefir, every leaf of my own veg get used. As you would know, when you put the effort onto sourcing your resources, you respect them.
    Flushing treated, piped water down toilets is almost criminal, isn’t it? But I’m not terribly keen on my son’s composting ‘loo. They also live off the power grid and on tank water. Their kids love visiting us in the city ☺ P

Happy,
    I am now wondering if it was a racing pigeon, it was very tame and relaxed(or shocked) when being handled by me and the vet. The dogs who originally discovered it, just sniffed at it, because it didn’t move or just walked about slowly they lost interest in it, they usually chase bigger birds but ignore small garden birds. I think it had a damaged wing, no attempt to fly at any stage but will check with my vet tomorrow. We have had injured birds in the garden before, both gulls and pigeons which were definitely more scared of humans and hell to catch. This one actually wandered into the house when I let the dogs out this morning. I hope it does well.
    Goodnight all, my bedtime! Although not very tired after my big sleep, a long read is on the agenda.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,001 through 16,050 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.