Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lose 2 lb per week – join Jojo in this quest

This topic contains 16,527 replies, has 252 voices, and was last updated by  Bob23 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,401 through 11,450 (of 16,657 total)

• Jo,

Sorry to hear that you did need antibiotics. You’ll have to pay extra attention to rebalancing your gut flora when the course is finished.

I keep forgetting that I’m not dealing with hardy northerners on the forum 🙂 Up here, if your finger’s infected and fit to burst, that’s what you do. Burst it and release the gunk. And if that doesn’t work, think about going to the doctor…

Amazon,

If you fancy a bit more garden planning, I’ve got an acre to play with! My aim for the non vegetable and fruit areas is sufficient pollen and nectar to support bees all year. All suggestions gratefully received!

Morning/evening all

Another bright morning 🙂

Happy if you search on the RHS website for plants that attract bees, they have three downloadable lists which should give you lots of ideas and inspiration. I have a couple of bee loving plants as garden centres are so good these days as labelling them as such. Unfortunately I’m terrible at remembering what they are called! If I do, I’ll let you know as one of them flowers from spring through to autumn.

Have a good one everybody.

Hi Happy,
    This is just my own experience, but the bees that visit my garden seem to love my lavenders the most!
    I assume you are wanting your veggies pollinated? Maybe you could get your own bee hive – that would be interesting!

I really love highly perfumed flowers and am enjoying the jasmine flowering at present. The wisteria will be next, then in November I really enjoy my Native Frangipani tree which releases the most amazing fragrance in the evenings – if the weather is warm enough!

Its funny the things I think about because of this forum – last week I thought of you Amazon as I admired some Clarke’s shoes! I am looking for a pair for my son’s wedding, have seen some lovely ones but the heels are all a bit high. They look gorgeous on, but very tricky to walk in!

I hope your finger is settling down a bit Jojo. I always find keeping an injured finger dry is the hardest part, and as you say, the constant bumping is also hard to avoid. My last mandolin incident involved my middle finger, and as its the longest one, it was constantly getting bumped! And there are so many nerve endings in finger tips, not fun!

Its Fathers Day here tomorrow, plus husband’s birthday on Monday, so kids and partners coming for lunch tomorrow. I am really looking forward to it. Sponge filled with whipped cream and strawberries made today (for birthday cake) and well hidden at the back of the fridge – not from husband, from me!! Managed only a few licks of whipped cream….so far!

I hope you get breakky in bed for Fathers Day RT!! But you will probably be up well before your offspring! Have a great day anyway!
    Cheers all xx

Hi everyone, I have been reading just not on the site (emails) but now the one day cricket is on I am taking the opportunity to let you know what has been going on with me.

After getting to my lowest last week I have put the 1kg back on this week. Not sure if it is the steroids that I am taking, if so maybe next week I will be back on track (as I had not fasted as such but had 4 semi fast days as still not 100% yet and those days were under 800 cals one down to 600). Still having a few issues with breathing but each day is getting easier and I am feeling better each day too. Have been feeling like my face is puffy also from steroids I feel. Only two more days of them though.

RT I hope you have an awesome day tomorrow plus all the other men folk attached to those of us on this thread 🙂

Wee so glad you are enjoying your knitting and crocheting, yoy have such talent there 🙂

Love hearing of everyones gardens and blocks of colours.

I havent finished my latest painting yet, am planning on doing this tomorrow.

While out today, and travelling at 110kph, I took a photo of the surrounding scenery which I may paint next.

Jojo I hope your finger is recovering, dog bites can be very nasty due to the bugs in their mouths, can be very nasty indeed as my OH and I know from personal experience and yeah, unfortunately antibiotics are usually needed.

Nama I love the fragrance of frangipani too, such a lovely summer smell 🙂

Amazon am enjoying hearing of your ventures too.

Sorry if I havent mentioned everyone by name but I am thinking of you all, just getting too tired to post more tonight, think it is time I went to bed, goodnight all 🙂

Hi AO,
    Sorry to hear that you are still unwell. Weight gain is a well known side effect of steroids. It is temporary and I’m sure your weight will drop again once they have done what they were prescribed for, and are out of your system. I do hope you feel better soon, look after yourself.

Hi Amazon,

Thanks, I’ll check out the RHS lists. I’m afraid I’m also pretty bad at remembering the names of plants! I’m fine with our native wildflowers, but ‘garden’ plants come from round the world and there’s just too many of them!

Hi Nama,

Our bees and pollinating insects are declining and in trouble, and the government is too stupid and greedy to understand the implications of a world without bees. I’ve got the space now to do something positive, albeit in a localised area, so I’m working towards cramming as much wildlife in as I can! The problem is trying to work out how to provide everything in the garden with food and shelter rear round and for all life stages… Except for slugs which, I’m afraid, I am still trying to teach to swim…

I’m very jealous of your wisteria! That’s definitely something for the wish list, provided its hardy enough. Plants need to be hardy to -16 here, or easily protected during harsh winters… 🙁

AO,

Get well soon!

Morning ALL thanks very much for Fathers day greetings its been along road but loved every minute of it Nama you are spot on I have been out for a 6.5k walk out a straight bitumen road which took me past sheep cows both dairy and stud stock in the paddocks a group of ducks 9 kangaroos alpacas very attractive they are and horses running and some with blankets on in their stalls one bloody big grey old Brahma bull all very cheeky and interested in me 😆
    my family including y-fee all still tucked up in bed as we speak but i am a contented soul and happy with my foot print on the family.
    Big Day Out in the eldest sons shed and dare I say it Go Pies 😉
    Peace Love and Happiness
    RT

Hi all from a wet and windy Melbourne…. when will Spring really arrive!

Happy its great that you are doing your bit re bee population numbers. The worst viruses apparently haven’t gotten to Aus yet, but like foxes and rabbits and European Wasps, its only a matter of time! Its sad Governments seem to take short-term views of such problems.

Surely you could find a protected corner for a Wisteria – I also have one at Jamieson where the climate is pretty cool. Not in your league of course, but frosts and the ocasional snow in Winter up there. My Melbourne one is 25 yrs old, husband says it is going to pull the house down one day. I trained the main trunk into a ‘barley sugar’ shape from when it was very young and now its about 12″ diameter. We have it shading the Western end of the house (our summer heat) and being deciduous it lets the winter sun in. I originally planted a sultana grape, but that was very prone to mildew and I got sick of the leaves turning yellow. The wisteria has been much hardier, I just need to keep it trimmed to stop it lifting off the roof tiles!

Glad you enjoyed a nice Father’s Day walk RT, hope the Big Day Out was fun too! We wont discuss football, but thanks anyway! First time for many years Pies not in the finals, very strange.

I have eaten way too much today, celebrating F.Day and husbands birthday – the cream sponge was nice! In need of a good fast tomorrow…. Scales said a kilo down (74’s) last week, lovely but I need to maintain it and improve on it!

Cheers all xx

Oh Nama! That’s just mean! How could I not try to find a spot for a wisteria after the description of yours! Let it pull the house down, you can live in the barley twist trunk…

Gorgeous day here, so it’s a busy gardening day. I’ve had a lovely surprise too. Having all but given up on the brassicas earlier in the year, and abandoned them to slugs, caterpillars and clubroot, I dragged myself up to the top bed only to find perfect cauliflowers!

Glad you’ve enjoyed your ‘mens day’ today. The cake sounds great. Sometimes I think you have to have a big eating day to motivate yourself for fasting, especially when you’re at/ near goal. I also find now that the odd blow out say often doesn’t show up on the scales in the way it did pre-5:2. I think it’s magic, not science 🙂

Good afternoon everyone . At last we have a gorgeous summers day . I am sorry I haven#t been in for a while .

I used to knit all the time . I haven’t for about 20 years though as my hands used to go dead on me with the RA and they started to get calcified . Our young next door neighbour asked me to teach her to knit .As I was teaching her I had a go myself and loved it and hands were OK . What a brilliant extra improvement for 5.2 :). So I have been knitting again . I have always been able to do wee crochet squares and trims but never followed a pattern but I have watched U Tube and I am now doing crochet too lol . My head is full of patterns lol . I have now made my first 2 crochet hats and a flower to sew on one . So sorry if I am going on but I am just so excited to be able to again do something I used to love to do .
    Jim had his second eye done and this time it is brilliant sooo we are going to the lake District next Friday ,Saturday and Sunday . Looking forward to it so much . All the stress over with .

Wee xx

Wee,
    Summer finally reached us too! Let’s hope it isn’t one day only, and we get a Indian summer, else the next winter is going to be hard going.

Great news that Jim’s second eye has gone better than his first. Where are you going in the Lake District? Fingers crossed the weather holds! We live outside, to the south, but the northern lakes are my favourite.

Jo,
    Hope your finger is better and you haven’t been hospitalized with sepsis! It’s not like you to be so quiet!

I’ve had an overeating carb weekend. I’ve eaten more than OH and he weighs at least 1.3 of me… Tomorrow looks like a fast day!

Ha ha ha Happy – “Magic not science” Maybe you are right! Scales ok this morning but I am still motivated to have a good Monday fast. I think the ‘magic’ is actually something to do with kickstarting our metabolism when we ‘feast’ on a particular day. If we are constantly low calorie, everything slows down. Also, the goal posts have definitely moved – maybe what we consider a ‘blowout’ eating wise is really nothing compared to what we used to eat on a regular basis. Great news re your cauliflowers – we had cottage pie with cauli mash on top last week – yum. Sometimes I make half and half potato and cauli mash, I prefer the flavour to full potato. I bought two for yesterday – $3.95 each here at present, so your garden is saving you money as well as providing healthy food!

Hi Wee, lovely to hear of another benefit to your weight loss! Knitting must be so relaxing and therapeutic. Making something with our hands is so good for us. Have a wonderful trip, I am so pleased your worries about Jim’s eyes are over. My son’s girl taught herself to crochet with You tube too – what an amazing world we live in!!

I hope everyone else is well and happy, I am off for some retail therapy as its too cold to garden here today….

Morning All,
    Just taking a moment to post before getting busy. I have had a very busy weekend, my daughters leaving party( open house) then more decluttering. I am selling the contents of the nursery I used to run, it’s a big job photographing and posting adverts.
    I don’t fancy the boot fair route or Garage Sale. Gumtree and Ebay are my chosen port of call. So far, so good as the largest items are going quickly so making lots more room. There is no mad hurry but my sales add to holiday spending pennies. I have also been very busy in the front garden and it is beginning to get under control. I need to get to work on the back garden now, the only answer will be some big bonfires. But cutting and drying it out is the priority. All good exercise.

My daughter sold her car as she plans to emigrate so we are sharing mine which is complicating things. We always seem to need it at the same time. So we are both doing lots more walking. I am also cat sitting ‘2 cats’ this week, 1 moggy and 1 Siamese, both georgeous.

Happy- My finger is still not good sadly, even with antibiotics, really discovered I am very clumsy, constantly bumping it, extremely sore, swollen and still oozing, gross. But not a hospital case yet more a basket case. I love cauliflower especially with cheese. But for us Fasters it’s nice grated instead of rice.

Did my 4 mile walk yesterday in glorious sunshine which is now expected all week. I believe all the UK and Scotland are due fine weather so I can mention it without fear of causing upset. My son laid in the sun for two hours yesterday and stupidly did not wear sun lotion, very red last night. He said he thought it was too cool to get burnt, honestly he is nearly 26, when will he learn. I don’t take chances, after 45 mins I slap on some 15 factor.

Nama, I have really blown the fasting healthy diet this weekend, barbecue and chocolate orange cake plus macaroons to die for, seriously over indulged. Hopefully it will kickstart my metabolism too, I wish something would. Sadly I suspect it will just put me back another week. Weemam I also had several helpings of ice cream, only vanilla but it was lovely. Fasting today, leaving the scales until Wednesday at least as
    I can’t take any more knocks at the moment.

Wee, take your happiness where you can, glad you are enjoying your knitting. Glad Jim is fine after his operation. Enjoy the Lake District, I am green with envy. For me the pleasure will come when I can play badminton again without damaging my shoulder. Also I want to start running without I’ll effects to my knee and hip. I can but hope.

RT – belated Greetings, your Fathers Day walk sounds great, packed with wildlife. I recently did a group walk through a field of cows. They seemed very interested in up, chased along beside us. In fact we had to scare them away at one point because we had some very nervous people in our group. We just opened and closed our brollies, very Mary Poppins, that worked, they moved away.

Amazon- hope you are enjoying the weather and gym?

AO- you are really having a rough patch healthwise, wishing you well.

Nama – I have used Clark’s shoes for years, also German (Rieker) make shoes which tend to be comfortable. Lately I am venturing away from these to buy makes I previously couldnt wear because I was EE fitting. On Saturday at my daughters party I noticed that I was wearing the highest shoes, 4 inch wedges with a slight platform, I had to laugh. All the others were in fashionable flip flops. Obviously I am so out of date but I was comfortable. My best friend would laugh so much, she has always been cross with me over my ‘comfort over style’ approach to shoes. I have to say I learnt this lesson the hard way over my teens and 20’s.

Must get on, chat tomorrow if I get the chance. I will throw out the leftover party food today. Promise.

Hi Efficient Fat Burners
    Nicky Emel comespring and Aussie O in South Australia Nama & Keirra in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi in France & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    Yes Jojo I am blessed with choice whichever way I trot off and yes the cows are so intrigued I think whereas the sheep take flight at a sound or movement complete opposite. My day was filled up with 4 generations of us my Dad then me then the 5 boys plus 1 grandson and 1 granddaughter and a very special unexpected announcement eldest son and his partner are expecting a baby in March through the magic of IVF happy dad don’t worry about.
    A good fast day same 19/5 for dinner and a big bowl of curried pumpkin (qld blue) soup and a side of roast veg with onion garlic carrot pumpkin and sweet potato. Black tea black coffee green tea a shed load of water and a cheeky diet coke. Missed out on the afternoon walk as it is fairly thumping down rain freezing cold and that windy it would blow a dog off a chain 😆

“It is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Afternoon all,

RT, that is great news, your son and his girl must be thrilled 😛

Great to hear everyone elses news. Jojo, might I suggest that you give your hand a rest and allow your finger to heal. It will do so much faster with some TLC.
    As for sunburn, the sensible approach is to put sunscreen on 15 minutes before going out in it wherever you are in the world, and especially in the Southern hemisphere.
    Wee, I hope you and Jim enjoy your weekend away and that the weather is kind to you.

It is a very nice day here, I went to the gym without a jacket and was warm enough in the sunshine 🙂

I bought lots of salad veg and some fruit on the way home which included some gorgeous looking figs, peaches and huge passion fruit which were on special offer. How could I resist…..

I’ve just eaten a huge goats cheese, bacon and avocado salad which was delicious and I’m now going to settle down and watch tennis on the TV for the remainder of the day, my idea of heaven.

Have a good one everybody.

Amazon stop it! Figs, peaches and passionfruit!!! And sunshine – its still raining and windy here!!

Jojo I do hope your finger is settling down, its pretty hard not to keep bumping it isn’t it?

I am going to Hobart for a “girls weekend” on Friday, but the forecast is for good weather so I am hopeful we wont have to sit by the fire with a glass of red ALL weekend!!

Hello fellow-fasters everywhere:
    Emel, AO, RT and comespring in South Australia
    Nama in Victoria
    Bay in ACT
    Purple in NSW
    Barata in NZ
    Jojo, Smiffy, HappyNow, Amazon, Hermaj, Lizzy, Wee, CakeyWakey, Tessy and Iona in UK
    Wiwi in France
    Applepie in Spain
    Ply, SAMM, Lori, HealthCoachB and Sarah103 in US
    DJ in Canada;
    In case I’ve missed anyone, no offence intended. As RT says: “You know who you are.”

Amazon: the tennis has been interesting, no wonder you are having late nights. Glad Andy beat our young brat Nick Kyrgios, he needs to absorb a few lesson on losing gracefully. Hope by now you’ve been able to get a physio appointment. Good work on the scales, ‘I am determined to crack fasting on gym days’ – so impressed with your focus. Like Iona, am envious that you ‘only have yourself to please’ although I recognise that it could pall at times. I love OH to bits but sometimes …! Constantly battling the call of the lollies, chips and biscuits at home is very wearing and why, after lots of tries, realize I can only successfully fast when at work and away from temptation. Fasting at home is a challenge I won’t have to face until I retire – but I WILL tackle it when the time comes. Your blue garden sounds lovely – Salvia corrugata has outstanding royal blue flowers and deep green crinkly leaves. Being bitten by your secateurs is bad. They sound very nifty though – what brand?

Jo: sorry to hear about your injured finger. Being bitten by your own dog is really too much – such ingratitude! Glad to hear your bowls doesn’t seem to be suffering, even if you are. Had to laugh at your friend’s washing practice – reminds me of when my granddaughter, 4 at the time, was helping by giving me the pegs. It was only after we’d finished she pointed out that she had given me all pink pegs for Pa’s clothes and blue for mine. She then gleefully pointed it out to OH, who played along with mock outrage.

Wee: your knitting and crochet results are beautiful. I have OA in my hands (horrible lumpy knuckles!) as well as other spots but can still knit – figure that if I give up then I might not be able to resume later. The evening TV programs are rarely anything that needs serious focus (OH can’t often bring himself to turn if off) and it stops me picking my nails 😉 You are a marvellous illustration of the less publicized health benefits of IF. Good to hear Jim’s doing well – enjoy your trip to the Lake District. Definitely on my must-see list.

Happy, couldn’t agree more with you on how marvellous when we rediscover things we hadn’t been able to do because of excess weight and associated health issues. I really enjoy being able to go upstairs without getting out breath. I have probably mentioned before but I work in a three-storey building with 5m ceilings so a trip to the 2nd floor is counted by my Fitbit as four flights of stairs. The best bit is that I don’t now arrive gasping like a beached whale. Good luck with the new dress for the wedding.

RT, sad news about your new sneakers. Hope your poor feet have healed by now. Couldn’t help laughing at the word picture of your stork imitations while applying Disney bandaids. Deep truth in your bird story. Glad you enjoyed Sunday, despite Crows fizzling out against the Cats. Good news on another addition to the next generation.

Smiffy, who could find blame eating such a delicious meal? The weekend before last we went out for lunch to a fancy restaurant for a friend’s 70th birthday. I didn’t give fasting a thought although shared a starter and had entrée size main to allow room for sweets, with a piece of toast with a cuppa for ‘dinner’. In the bad old days I would have ploughed through the lot and then fronted up for a dinner, possibly of ‘greasy fatty yummy goodness’ – to quote RT!

Nama, another fan of native frangipani. So underrated in the south of the country and yet it is quite cold-hardy. Heavenly perfume from the flowers in spring and then the gorgeous orange berries almost into winter. Hope you enjoy your girls’ weekend in Tassie. Fine weather with 24C forecast here – taking the grandies to the Royal Show on Friday as it’s their Show Day off from school.

AO, glad to hear you’re gradually coming good. Frustrating that recovery is so slow but take it easy.

Despite faithfully fasting Mon-Tu for two weeks the scales have been stubbornly stuck, really struggling with motivation today and its only 1pm here so am considering changing to Mon and Wed fasts. On non-fasting Wednesdays I usually have a lunch of a single-slice wholegrain sandwich (in South Australian parlance, half a sandwich), usually salmon and salad and then eat the remainder after the gym to avoid the post-workout muscle-digesting issue SAMM raised once. If I have a very light dinner it shouldn’t be too bad, although I usually try to avoid carbs on FDs.

Take care all and keep up the good work. N xxx

Hi Efficient Fat Burners
    Nicky Emel comespring and Aussie O in South Australia Nama & Keirra in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi in France & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    Great post Nicky yes the runners have settled in and the 2 sock option working beautifully at the moment the crows yes a lot of air time has been put into Danger in the hoops next year at the catery and they loved talking it up on Saturday didn’t they 💡 but that’s fine so long as he gives 110% in the next 4 games 😉 and not do the Tippet on us 👿
    This fast life can become a little like a rubics cube when you get the moves right everything works out get one of the moves out of sequence and it becomes a square peg in a round hole…just saying
    Keep on keeping on do the doable

“It is easier to avoid eating than to stop eating once started”
    Peace RT

Morning All,
    NickyF, great post- always good to hear from you. My finger is on the mend thanks, at least it will be if I can keep it out of danger. I played bowls yesterday- men versus women, we lost by a small margin sadly but I did my bit well. My skip was not having a good day but that happens to every player. We all enjoyed playing in the lovely sunshine which is the most important point.
    Off to walk the dogs, play bowls then feed the cats, that will see me through to lunchtime. Then more house clearance and ironing before more cat visits. Playing cards with my girlfriends tonight. We also play Rummykub, any other enthusiasts of this game?
    I am still doing 19/5 which is an established way of life now, one snack and one meal daily work well for me now. If I need a snack I have a piece of fruit.
    I had Indian Food last night ‘lamb passander’ and one spoonful of rice last night, not 500 cals me thinks but very nice, washed down with a glass of fizzy water. Very filling. I don’t usually eat meat but it just took my fancy.
    Keeping the food light today, soup for lunch and salmon salad for dinner.
    RT- I get hot wearing one pair of thin socks, don’t know how you cope with two pairs.
    Nama- I hope you enjoy the girls weekend, sounds like fun in the sun.
    Amazon-that salad sounds georgeous. I take your point about rest but ?I doubt it will happen. Too much to do, too little time. As for the sun lotion, I think we are supposed to expose for a short while to get the benefits of vit D but I will take extra precautions on my trip.

Jo, Amazon is right about applying sunscreen (30+) 15′ before going out. I wear a hat, long sleeves plus sunscreen on my face and hands 9am-4pm between the September and March equinoxes. The sun is so strong here my ‘English’ fair skin will burn in less than 10′ without protection.

No argument about vitamin D but in Australia, 10′ exposure of hands and bare arms in the morning or late afternoon per day between September and March is enough. Also, unless you wear zinc blockout you will still get some. Pale skinned people are very efficient at harvesting pre-vitamin D and you can tan through a thin shirt.

Bad luck about Andy Amazon. There’s always next year!

Morning/evening all

Dull start to the day. I’m going out in the garden to attempt to finish what I started last week and I’m getting the old secateurs out as my hand is still bruised and tender.
    FD today so need to keep busy and out of the kitchen.

Jojo, anyone who leads an outdoor life gets enough exposure to the sun for sufficient Vit D production. Sunscreen does filter out UVB and some or all UVA depending on the brand but when sunbathing or out in hot sunshine for any length of time, sunscreen should be applied prior to going out in it.
    When I was in Perth in 2004 I sat under the verandah which has a tiled roof, in the shade at 8.30 in the morning. I was reading a book. After less than 10 minutes both wrists felt very hot, and when I looked there were a couple of chinks in the verandah roof that had allowed two tiny slithers of sunlight to hit the back of both wrists. I applied some sunscreen but it was too late as I was already burnt.

Have a good day/evening everybody 😛

Hi Efficient Fat Burners
    Really agree with your comments of enlightenment there Jojo very Zen like our Chakra has aligned 😉
    “I am still doing 19/5 which is an established way of life now, one snack and one meal daily work well for me now.”
    Ditto for moi
    ‘Everything will be alright in the end so if it is not alright it is not the end.’
    Peace RT

Nicky,

Andy had a tough draw and had to work hard just to get to R4. He is playing well but not back to his best just yet. Big Kev played a fabulous match and deserved the win. For me, it is easier than the prospect of having to watch him play Wawrinka, Federer and Djokovic to win the title.

There is no brand name on the new secateurs, I think Torturer would be appropriate. I used my trusty Wilkinsons this morning. I’ve done everything I can in the garden until I purchase some more plants. I have divided the Persicaris and moved it, and moved a couple of other shrubs that were too tall to be at the front. They are now at the back giving me room for some smaller stuff.
    I shall look forward to going to the garden centre later in the week and deciding what to buy. While I’m there I can have my car cleaned and valeted by the nice men who work out of a shed in the corner of the garden centre car park 😛

Nicky,

Sorry to hear the scales are stuck, I’m sure they’ll start moving again soon. Keep the faith!

Amazon,

I’m very jealous of the work you’re getting done in the garden. My next proper opportunity will be the weekend, but the weather’s due to turn chilly then 🙁 I should keep warm though as I’m barrowing last year’s compost uphill to the veg patch… I’ll be the one with the weak arms and jiggered back by the time I’ve finished…!

Ok girls I can take the hint, total sunblock for me in Aus and NZ because I don’t want anything to spoil my trip let alone risk the dreaded skin cancer. Thankyou for your concern and warnings.

Great day today, won two bowls games by huge margins and cleared out the cupboard under the stairs where I discover mice had been living. My black wooly mittens had provided a good nest. All holes now filled so the little blighters won’t be back anytime soon. I was very surprized at what I found in this cupboard, must have been 10 years since it was last cleared out. So much unused wallpaper, fortunately all boxed in plastic securely. Picnic hamper(never used), won in a raffle. Coats which none of the family lay claim to own. Crazy.

Very disciplined food today, making up for not so disciplined weekend.

One cat sitting job went well today other one seemed totally freaked by my appearance. You are right, the moggy- no issue, the pedigree, freaked to distraction. Weird it was so friendly when I visited when the owner was there. I left it to its own devices I don’t need a cat scratch to add to the dog bite.

Time for bed, goodnight all.

Oh Happy, that was my dear Dad’s word “Jiggered”! You just took me back many years! Just don’t fill the barrow too full and take your time!

Amazon I like the sound of your nice car cleaning men in the carpark!! Most of the big shopping centres here have a similar set up in the basement, but they are more likely to be young kids who will crunch your gearbox when they move the car! Speaking from experience I am afraid!

Jojo cupboards under stairs are the perfect dumping spot aren’t they! I bet the mysterious coat owners are wondering where their coats are too! Step away from the cat Jojo!! Cat scratches are mean…..

Nicky, lovely to hear your news. Was thinking of you yesterday when my podiatrist was describing his recent ski holiday at Hotham with his wife and four kids!! Keep up your good efforts, the weight will shift. You know what you are doing. Hard when there are temptations around though, Fathers Day/Birthday goodies almost derailed me – I chucked out the last of the lemon tart last night, just knew I would wreck todays fast if I left it in the fridge. My husband never even sees sweet stuff, it would sit there for a year.

Second son (marrying the Vietnamese girl) recently engaged, has announced they are having a sort of blessing ceremony in Hanoi on 26th December!! We will go, so as soon as the October wedding is over,
    it will be time to get organised for that! She is an Aus citizen, so even if they wanted to they could not marry in Vietnam and will do so here in Aus next year. But its traditional apparently (in this situation) to have something for relatives/grandparents – 200 guests I am told!! Will be interesting….

RT sorry I forgot to say, congratulations on your miracle grandchild – wonderful news. I was sceptical when IVF first started, but have seen too many wonderful outcomes to question it now. What a lucky baby to come into your happy family!

Now to get busy and keep away from the kitchen..

Hi Efficient Fat Burners
    Reading Nickys post reminded me I really should update my current/active contributors to the forum so will be culling a few now I feel. You know who you are or not just saying 😉 Nevermind. Absolute pure joy for our family Nama the process is stressful but we most certainly will not be able to say the usual who har like it was not planned or it was an accident or the worst one of all it was a mistake IMO. How this can be in the 21st century is beyond my male comprehension to be brutally honest in our family we seem to specialize in this one niece has twin girls no partner no father to be seen or found one niece has 2 boys different fathers no partner or father and yet one other niece has 1 daughter no father but has a partner all young people with young children 6 and under does maketh my blood boil 👿
    Oops off my soapbox now sorry team 😳
    Peace RT

Please don’t cull me.RT Ouch, though I must say there are places which could benefit from being trimmed. Be ready to cut and paste. In two weeks wiwi in Frnce will become Wiwi somewhere in the world (of no fixed abode)
    Good news bout the wee one due in March!

I am here, but rather busy getting ready for two sets of visitors this week and to leave for the southern hemisphere in 2 weeks, so closing the house for 6 months..

The sun is fierce in the SH, JoJo. They hand out sunblock on the beaches round Wellington. We lack the gunk in the atmoshere to block out UV there. I rarely use sunblock in France.

I am continuing ADF fairly successfully.
    There are 5 litres of rosé to finish off before we leave, which could be a problem.

However maybe swapping one meal for a glass of rosé is a possibility(only 125 calories). Haha!

So just off to drive 90km to the closest railway in the Rhône Valley to pick up friends- sounds like Southern Hemisphere already. The rod from here follows a windy gorge, spectacular, but windy! If I drop me As, it’s me computer not me. Happy days
    xxWiwi

I have a sense of achievement today – used ‘fad free recipes’ book published by weight loss resources over the weekend to cook for visitors and celebrate a birthday! By doing the sums and being abstemious at non mealtimes and drinking plenty of water I enjoyed totally guilt-free delicious two course meals with a glass of wine and the odd slice of melon thrown in on three days running
    I also treated myself to a leftover tiramisu on my fast day – counting the Cals of course!
    On top of that I’ve achieved the usual one pound weight loss that I can record after every fast day
    It gives me a psychological ‘pat on the back’ to enter my weight on the graph tracker and keeps me going – buying some new jeans this week and looking forward to wearing some at least one size less than usual!

Morning/evening all,

Another successful FD done and dusted. I’m aiming for ADF but sometimes social arrangements at the weekend mean swapping FDs, but so far so good on the final countdown 😉

Wiwi, why does the wine have to be consumed before you leave for the SH?

Nicky, you are doing really well and as Nama says you know what you are doing, but plateaus can be frustrating and lead to unscheduled eating if we are not strong willed.

Happy, my garden is very small, it would probably fit into your polytunnel so it isn’t such a huge task. Having said that, the little bit I did yesterday took more than two hours which the calorie counter tells me burned up 550 calories. I think that is rather an optimistic number myself, but if I used half that I would be very pleased.

Plant shopping will have to wait as I’m off to the gym soon and this afternoon I’m going to do some baby cuddling 😛

RT, I’m with you on your single parent comments, but it seems to be a fairly common situation in many parts of the world nowadays which is unfortunate for the children who don’t have the joy or the benefits of a relationship with their fathers.

Nama, the car cleaning crew are Eastern European, and they are grownups 😉 Their prices are very good and they do a thorough job every time.

Have a good day/evening everybody 🙂

I forgot to say the other day, Amazon, that since you are growing cordyline in your garden, some of the other SH plants could do too. A very nice NZ plant is pink manuka – leptospermum ericoides. I am sure it is in Kew.

I think those calorie counts for different activities are optimistic. You need to at least take off 20% of the calories you would use for thinking and just doing nothing.
    Probably as you say 50% is more realistic.

I wonder how many calories I will use driving 180 km of Bends??
    Lucky you baby cuddling. I will see my grandies in just over 2 weeks and even when I get there, they are not very cuddly. The baby was weaned last week and he forgot in 24 hours how much he liked that.

Enjoy your gym.
    Wiwi

I’ve just staggered home from the gym. I am cream crackered and my legs are really aching. I am sure it is a result of the gardening and furniture moving yesterday.

Thanks for the plant tip Wiwi. My garden is small and protected so things don’t have to be really hardy to survive. The cordyline is in a huge tub against the front wall of the house. I used to have window boxes and had one in each of them and they did very well. I might buy one for the back garden 🙂

As for the baby, I’ve not seen my great nephew yet. He is two weeks old and I am very excited!

Hi Guys,
    I have been run off my feet today. I haven’t stopped for food or thought about it but the hunger dragon is breathing fire now. Only half way through cutting the lawn so it will have to wait a while yet, just on tea break.
    Forgot to weigh in this morning as such an early start with cat sitting duties. Looking forward to a loss tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    looking forward to a nice quiet evening. Hopefully I will have a nice phone chat with my birthday boy son.
    Tomorrow will be lots of painting which I really enjoy. Fencing and some wooden pots need brightening up. How many calories will that use?
    Hope everyone is having a good day. Great to hear from you Wiwi, sounds like you have your hands full.
    Welcome Pen nib, sounds like you are off to a good start, well done.
    RT – single parent families are very common in this area, also very young Mums. It is a shame that the traditional family is no longer the norm but so long as they are happy that must be the priority. Children growing up in a house of arguing parents cannot be very pleasant. I consider myself lucky that I had two parents but then my father died when I was 11, my mother had to change her life totally from being a mother at home to becoming a working mum. She did an amazing job and we were all very proud of her.

RT hearty congratulations on the coming new grandies.

Jojo yes 30 plus sunscreen here and re-apply often. Even after being here for the past 50 years I still need the 30 pkus protection as does my fair skinned son, even my other son and hubby who are olive skinned need a factor 15 to 30.

Love hearing about the gardens from around the world.

Wiwi safe journeys with all those twists and turns.

I haven’t achieved a FD so far this week but am aiming for one today.

Finally a bit of good news. I now only need one physio session per week and the cough is almost gone so am feeling much better now.

Have to run and get to work. Chat later. AO xx

Good morning all.

Amazon, all that activity has to be good for calorie burning, even if it slows you down for a day or so afterwards.

Your days are full too Jo. I’m staggered at your energy levels.

Glad you’re finally getting the dreaded bug underfoot AO AND your healing journey from your accident shows progress. Hope the sun is shining for you, as it is for us today.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. Of course returning to my bad old ways is beyond considering when I contemplate the likely implications – bp medication again, extra weight on my joints, having to buy more fat clothes, … 🙁 🙁 🙁

I had a whinge to my lovely sympathetic trainer last night (of course they’re paid to be but he is very interested in my IF journey) about the stubborn scales and he suggested a body fat assessment because he thought I looked slimmer. His prediction that I hadn’t appeared to have lost weight because of increased muscle mass was spot-on – 1.5% fat down and muscle 1% up (rounded). Coupled with the 2kg off since the previous assessment in early July means that I am qualitatively and quantitatively leaner. Very happy now.

The gym has also acquired a goniometer (device for measuring joint angles, for the non-medical like me) and my knee flexion is now 65% in the ‘older’ knee and 75% in the ‘younger’. That gives the lie to the orthopod’s prediction that there would be no more improvement after 1 year post-op because scar tissue doesn’t stretch and 90% flexion in the ‘younger’ knee was as good as I could hope for.

Happy Thursday all. n xxx

That’s fantastic news Nicky, on the body fat and knees. And a great boost, perfectly timed, when you were feeling a bit flat.

Re: your orthopod’s prediction. I guess they hadn’t taken 5:2 and your determination into account!

On the subject of energy expenditure, there was an interesting program a while back which compared the calories burned from hard/gym sessions, generally active people but not ‘exercisers’, and couch potatoes. It suggested there was a danger that the gym goers might actually burn less than generally active people, as once they’d exerted themselves there was a tendency to move less and ‘reward’ themselves for their efforts!

I’m not sure how they picked people for the experiment. My exercise has always been on top of normal daily life not instead of!

Just spent a few minutes catching up with all of you. Jojo…sure hope the dog bite is continuing to heal and that you have no cat scratches to add to your injuries!

Feel great for all of you heading toward Spring, but it makes me dread what’s coming for me! Being a golfer, the winter is long & dark waiting to get back out on the course. Sigh…..

I’ve kind of been faffing about with the weight loss. Just staying the same or going up and down the same 2 lbs. I’m leaving on vacation on Sunday morning for 2 weeks, so the fasting will have to wait. We’ll be spending time in Seattle and along the Oregon coast….getting excited now! We’ve been planning this trip for nearly a year.

Happy fasting everyone!

Morning/evening all

It is a beautiful sunny and warm September morning and I’m off to the nursery to buy some plants 🙂

My idea of a reward for all the work at the gym is the way my body looks and feels after eight months of hard work. My muscles are now more defined and apart from my ongoing back problem, I am fitter, more flexible and have much more energy.
    I called my GP surgery as I’ve not yet been given an appointment for physiotherapy and been informed that there is a six month wait!
    And the government are still cutting millions from the NHS budget on an annual basis.
    So it is time to get some private treatment which will be paid for by my NHS pension………

Great news AO, so pleased to hear that your recovery continues.

Time to get moving while the sun is still shining and the sky blue,

Have a good one everybody 😛

Amazon,

As a teenager I used to go swimming with a friend. We always had burger and chips in the leisure centre afterwards.

Nowadays I’m with you though, the reward for having exerted myself is knowing I have muscles and being able to run for a bus if I want!

If you can’t exercise without having a cake and energy drink afterwards, best to skip the exercise and the reward altogether!

If it isn’t a FD I usually have granola with yoghurt and fruit when I get back from the gym and that is a treat for me as I enjoy it so much. I used to go swimming with my brother and we never ate anything until we got home and had our tea!
    Having said that, when I was a child we didn’t do snacking or eating out very often and things have changed since then, nowadays people seem to think they’ll expire if they don’t eat something every couple of hours.

Today’s FD has gone well as I’ve been really busy all day. I went to the garden centre this morning and left the car to be washed while I wandered round and tried not to buy everything. I had a car bootful of plants and was worrying where I would put them all, but once I had planted them I realised that I needed more.
    I wanted to go for a walk as it has been such a lovely day, so I walked to another garden centre and bought some smaller plants that will provide ground cover and flowers. I stopped on the way home and sat in the sun outside a cafe with a coffee and then came home and did more planting.
    I’m very happy with the way the garden looks now and also pleased that I kept busy all day and didn’t think about food.

Paella for dinner 😛

RY congrats on the future new grandchild . Your eldest must be over the moon , When we had our youngest son our other 2 boys were 15 and 17 . So many people asked if I had got married again or was it my grandson lol . I was only 38 :).

I am so so sorry I am not posting as much as I used to but I am finding it so hard to rely to each one separately . I love to read all of the posts and when reading them I have a mental picture of all of you BUT when I go to reply I get the names all mixed up .
    We are of to the lakes tomorrow until Sunday and we are so excited about it . Jim is looking forward to ” seeing” things he hasn’t noticed before :).

Ross is going too . We stop at Gretna outlet village to stretch our legs on the way down . car mostly packed up and I will definitely be having some ice cream :).

I don’t know if I will be posting but I am taking the tablet Ross gave me and I will have a go :).. Might take my crochet too 🙂 🙂

Wee xx

Hello Fast Trackers
    Nicky Emel comespring and Aussie O in South Australia Nama in Victoria Bay in ACT PVE in NSW WiWi in France & Barata in NZ and Jojo SAMM HappyNow Amazon Herm Lizzy Ply Tartan lass Smiffy Lor_PA CakeyWakey Sarah103 HealthCoachB and Hello World (You All know Who You ARE) 😉
    Thanks one and all for the best wishes very exciting times for us y-fee was 42 when we had the youngest and he is 15 today happy BIRTH-day you champion..Nama have a wicked weekend away a girls trip hmm what could possibly go wrong here I wonder 😆
    Shop till ya drop 😉

A sales rep, an administration clerk, and their manager are walking to lunch when they find an antique oil lamp.

They rub it and a Genie comes out.

The Genie says, ‘I’ll give each of you just one wish.’

‘Me first! Me first!’ says the admin clerk. ‘I want to be in the Bahamas, driving a speedboat, without a care in the world.’

Puff! She’s gone.

‘Me next! Me next!’ says the sales rep. ‘I want to be in Hawaii , relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse, an endless supply of Pina Coladas and the love of my life.’

Puff! He’s gone.

‘OK, you’re up,’ the Genie says to the manager.

The manager says, ‘I want those two back in the office after lunch.’

Moral of the story:

Always let your boss have the first say.
    Have a groovy weekend
    And Go You mighty Crows

Peace RT

Lol RT. Love the jokes 🙂

Wee I also get confused who said what and if I cannot go back to see I make a general comment, however if there is a lot I want to respond to I make a quick note, eg Amazon, garden, walk, exercise and this helps me to comment about how lovely the garden sounds and how she walked to get more plants and that she doesnt eat until after she is home from exercising. Not that I do this all the time as sometimes there is just too much to reply to in one sessiin.

Well I did NOT succeed with a FD this week despite my best effort yesterday (unexpected visitors last night and after they left I ate an orange which put me closer to 1;000 cals than 500. Still 100g down not good but better than a gain. Today is a new day and start to my week.

Have to run. Chat later 🙂

Hi NickyF,
    Yes I like to keep very busy both physically and socially, fortunately I am time rich in my retirement. Today’s schedule has been pretty hectic, 5 activities this morning then all afternoon cutting down a jungle area of what was a sensory garden ( about 30′ by 20′ area) I created some years ago for my nursery children. The only choice now is to strip out 90 % of it out, most shrubs have strangled each other and herbs now spread along epic proportions. I will take cuttings for my next garden. I gathered a huge bowl of red currant and box of apples. Now I need to plan to use them. It’s a big job but it was nice to be outside on such a fine summers day. Tomorrow I must drag all the debris to the tip, not fun, but too much to put on the compost heap even when chipped.
    Scales were up 1 lb today which is depressing, weekends party food has taken its toll. I really need to measure and count calories again, I am getting lazy, just guessing. Special lunch tomorrow but I will keep it healthy and light with sparkling water not wine. Going to a Charity Event in the evening to see a Michael BoubLe tribute Act, can’t wait. Hope he is good.
    Time to sleep and dream of my upcoming trip.

Weeman,
    There is no requirement to reply to everyone’s post. We love to hear from you, threads don’t have to be yet another chore. Goodness knows we all have enough of those. I sometimes wish I had a magic wand for housework, it’s so dull. I am not obsessive but with two dogs cleaning is essential if I don’t want it to smell like a kennel.

Morning All,
    Early start on garden clearance.
    I have decided to carry on fasting throughout my three month trip especially as my monthly goal, set last April, has been lost repeatedly. If can lose 2 lb per month at this stage I will be happy.
    Good Luck to Friday Fasters everywhere.

Good morning one and all! The week has flashed by in the wink of an eye. I too really enjoy reading all the posts on this forum, lots of interesting chat going on, just wish I had more time to post more frequently.
    I have also been working in the garden lately, it took me two days to paint a new fence and my back did suffer! I have also been digging out shrubs and moving my compost bin. I am always amazed by compost, it is truly magic, there was so much good stuff to use when I finally got the bin tipped over. I spread a lot on the borders and the birds have had great delight spreading it from the borders all over the lawn!
    I had a good fast day on Tues but yesterday was ill planned as I forgot we would be having a celebratory drink and a (small) piece of cake for my nieces 21st birthday. Never mind said I – Friday can be a fast day instead, but hubby reminded me we are out for dinner. So I will eat light and choose wisely today. The scale was one pound down today but not sure I really believe it after being at a plateau for a while. I will check it again in a few days. I have been watching quite a few matches of the U.S. Open tennis, Simona Halep has been great but I think her semi final match is at 2am, too late for me!
    Have a great weekend everyone, look forward to hearing from you all.

Morning/evening all,

Iona, the womens semi finals were postponed due to a huge storm over NY. They start at 11am BST today.

It’s another lovely warm and sunny morning, I’m off to themgym and then out to Kew this afternoon. I was drinking tea and gazing out of the kitchen door this morning looking at my little garden. It looks good and I know that next summer when everything has settled in and grown it’ll be fabulous. I can look forward to sitting out on warm days surrounded by colour and perfume 🙂

FD went well yesterday. I was hungry when I went to bed but ignored it and slept well.

A busy day ahead so I’d better get moving, have a good weekend everybody 😛

Thanks Amazon, I was thinking it was tonight, I may get chance to see a little bit of it then!

Hi All,
    Lunch was very nice, skate with capers sauce and mash, yum. Washed down as promised with sparkling water followed by a cuppa instead of pud. Proud of myself resisting temptation. Also walked along the coast after lunch. So all in all lots of walking today as I did a very long dog walk before bowls today. Already at 15,000 and I will be on the dance floor tonight, sadly only with the girls for company, so not a romantic end to the day.
    Just soup for dinner tonight.
    Forgot to say yesterday’s pound up has gone again, that cheered me up. I really should just weigh weekly, avoid disappointments of fluctuations.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Afternoon all,
    It has been another lovely day here. I went to the gym this morning amd then met a friend and went to Kew. We had a really good walk and I am now tired. I’ve had a busy and active week which I’ve really enjoyed but I’m looking forward to a couple of relaxing days.

Jojo, I’m weighing once a fortnight at the moment as I can’t cope with all the ups and downs.

Home in time for the tennis too 😛

Viewing 50 posts - 11,401 through 11,450 (of 16,657 total)

You must be logged in to reply.