Long term weight loss problem

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Long term weight loss problem

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kate9st 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I lost nearly 3 stone at WeightWatchers about 10 years ago. The weight was beginning to creep back after I retired. I started the 5:2 diet at the end of last January. Initially I felt very well, and although the weight loss was slow it did continue. By Christmas I had lost 10 lbs (having had a 10 day break on holiday in the USA, where I put 1lb back on). I had a break over Christmas and put on 3lbs. The week after Christmas I lost 1lb, then I put on 2lb, so I was even heavier. I then changed to fasting 3 days per week. In the first week I lost 2.5lbs and though I mostly fast 3 days per week, sometimes it is only twice since then, I am now heavier than I was after Christmas.
    I do not eat or drink excessively on the non-fasting days, although I do have 1/2 bottle of wine per week and 1 sherry or g & t and 1 small glass of port per week. I do also have about 2 squares of dark chocolate on the non fasting days. I do not eat much fat, no butter or marg to speak of and only skimmed milk on non fasting days. It is so depressing. I wonder whether Michael Mosley has any long term research which suggests that the body adjusts to the reduction in calories and prevents further weight loss? Or whether, other than dieting on the non fasting days there is any way to shift the last couple of lbs. I am about 5’3″, weighed 8st 10 before Christmas and 9 st now.

hi Kate

I am not sure what to suggests, you are already doing everything right, maybe add more fat to your diet on normal days? I have read this on other forums and apparently it does help..
    I am the same height as you, if not slightly shorter lol, and I weigh 9’5, I haven’t been near those scales for weeks now, like you I would love to get back to 8’10, or a bit over but it seems my body refuses to shift anymore…
    I am not letting this getting me down because I am happy with how clothes feel and still a size 10 and 8 depending lol… have you done any measurements at all?

am sure someone will be along soon with more suggestions, sorry am not much help, but please don’t let it worry you too much…

good luck and take care 😉

Hi Kate, I’m going to go ahead and assume a few things here. As you are an old hand at WW and seem aware of your alcohol & chocolate intake etc. above, I am assuming that although you don’t want to be on a ‘diet’ on non-fastdays, you are aware that you need to keep a weather eye on your calorie levels when you are close to your ideal weight. That being assumed, I’m also assuming that you have taken your current TDEE & BMR readings and that you are aiming for somewhere comfortably between those 2 numbers, without getting all obsessive-calorie-county and diety.

If both of those are the case and you think you really should be aiming for much under 9 st (To be honest I’m only an inch taller than you and 9st would put me well under weight if I ever got down that far and I’m assuming I’m a bit younger than you, at 35, if you’ve retired?? – just a thought) – then you might try adding more exercise to your daily routine alongside Angie’s suggestion of not worrying so much about fat as you do about sugar and carb rich foods.

Since neither of you are overweight as such those last few pounds could be hard to shift.
    Have you both recalculated your TDEE?
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

You may need to lower your calorie intake on fast days and maybe do 4:3 instead of 5:2 until you have reached your desired weight then go 6:1 to maintain your ideal weight.

Kate are you eating enough on your normal days? It should be somewhere between your BMR and TDEE. If you continually go below your BMR after a while your metabolism slows and you go into ‘starvation mode’ Congratulations on you fabulous loss with WW though and also with only putting 1lb on in USA!!

Angie, I really admire your perspective on weight loss and the fact you use your clothes not scales as your guide. Life is too short to get depressed over a few unwanted pounds!

I hope I am not ‘telling my granny how to suck eggs’ as I could probably be granny to either of you!
    😀

Thank you Lindyw!

your’re defo not telling “granny how to suck eggs ” lol, I always appreciate any input to be honest 😉

and no I haven’t re calculated anything since I haven’t weighed myself since early January 🙂 but I will!!

hope you are having a good day, take care xx

Hi Angie

Thanks for replying. This is the first time I have ever used a forum for anything so was very pleased to get your very prompt reply.

I am continuing to fast 3 days per week and take more exercise every day. A very brisk walk, so we’ll see what happens.

After reading your reply and the others I have received I have decided not to worry too much any more, maybe that will help anyway!

Glad you are doing well.

Best wishes,
    Kate

Hi Lindy

Many thanks for your reply with suggestions for calculating calories required. I haven’t every properly calculated calories required, as I had just assumed that consuming less than 500 on a fast day would be OK. I will try the calculations if the weight continues to increase.

In the meantime I have started to exercise with a brisk walk every day and combined with the extra fasting day this may help.

As far as the ‘granny’ bit is concerned, indeed I could be your granny as my eldest grandson is almost 18!! and I’m 65!!! but 20 at heart, I think.

Best wishes,
    Kate

Hi Tracy

Many thanks for your very helpful reply. I did get a bit fed up, but as you quite rightly pointed out in your reply, maybe I am expecting to go too low with my weight.

I have not done any calculations but will have a look at that. I had assumed that as long as I had 500 calories or less on fasting days that was OK. Maybe not.

I am also increasing my exercise with a very brisk walk every day, so we’ll see what effect that has.

Best wishes,
    Kate

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.