Lessons learned on the Way to my Skinny Jeans, and the video that changed all

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Lessons learned on the Way to my Skinny Jeans, and the video that changed all

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Coda 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi, to all my worldwide 5:2 friends! It has been a long time!

I have been off here for quite a while; as it happens, life gets in the way, other things take priority, and, unfortunately for me, I lost focus of my eating plan, which had started with 5:2 and a successful loss of several pounds, morphed into 4:3 and low carb and more serious IF and giving up hard core gym time in exchange for HIIT, and since then (1-1/2 years), I have pretty much kept off about 40 lbs or so. Still not at my “ideal” goal but the thinnest I ever was, so not unhappy.

Fast forward to late last year, and I realized that I had put on 10 lbs, had become a couch potato since knee surgery, and was using every excuse I could find to justify every poor food choice I made. It took until around March of 2017 until I thought back to what I did back at the beginning to lose the original weight,and I decided to restart my whole food life from the start.

So I began 5:2 again, religiously, NO EXCUSES, but beyond that, I had started watching some videos on dietdoctor.com, having followed the link from Dr. Jason Fung’s web site. The one video that really hit me was the one from Dr. Eric Westman “How to Do an LCHF Diet”. In his presentation, he “role plays” his actual position as head of nutrition counseling at Duke (I think) University hosital, and he treats you as if you were a patient signed up for his program.

The one thing he says that THUNDERSTRUCK me is this: He has a list of approved foods, and he holds it up and he says, ANY TIME YOU DEVIATE FROM THIS LIST, YOU SET YOURSELF BACK 3 DAYS.”

I thought to myself, wow! That is why I was never losing weight! I would eat really good for a couple of days, then to congratulate myself, I would treat myself, thinking it was only hurting me for a couple of hours or a day! But 3 days! I never thought of it in those terms! But once that hit home, I was done “cheating”. I don’t even think of it as cheating anymore. Since I watched that video, I haven’t eaten ONE piece of bread, muffin, cookie, fast food item, ice cream, and my one low carb “treat” that I used to have every other night (or, yeah, sometimes every night, to be honest, and in large quantities) is now once a week, and a smaller quantity. What a huge impact that man and his words have had on me.

Another change is this: On Dr. Fung’s web site, it was said, and I do believe, and it is said here, that steady state cardio has little to do with weight loss. And I agree. It can even derail your weight loss. I am not so sure any more. Since I restarted what I explained above, I thought, I sure would like to be a firmer thin than I was last year. Sure, I was thinner. But I never had that flat belly (I am in my 50’s, so probably never will but could expect to be firmer). So 3 weeks ago, I restarted working out. Lightly at first, to see what would happen, then increased. Guess what? The weight is still pouring off! My average is 2 lbs a week. I couldn’t be happier!

I wish I had figured it out sooner, but better late than never! And I may not have all the answers, but maybe a couple. I will update as I go along, and hope maybe this will help others.

Hi fitnfast,

Thanks so much for putting this up. It’s really inspiring and helpful. I’ve been doing the 5:2 for only a fortnight. I lost 5lbs but I do know a lot of that will be water.

The low carb and sugar diet does make sense to me and I just looked a the dietdoctor.com site you mention and found it so helpful. Thank you! It’s good to see a clear list of what is good to eat and what isn’t.

Also good to know you’re finding exercise works. I’m also in my 50s and could certainly do with a little more firmness (though I wont expect a flat belly) so I will follow your example.

Good luck with it all and thanks for posting.

Hi fitnfast our paths crossed before in the little voices thread some time ago. We have our own monthly challenges now but I was wondering if you would mind if I copied some of what you posted as I think some of our group may find it interesting? Thanks

Hi, Coda! I remember you fro our monthly challenges and enjoyed them immensely. I still think often of all of you, my worldly friends out there!

You are more than welcome to use whatever you like from my post. It is amazing every day how much there still is to learn from our bodies, how they change as we age, how food affects it, etc. And how much we are capable of if we really put our minds to it.
    Something I forgot to write is that I am also a chronic pain patient (5 surgeries in the past 6 years- back, knee and foot) and have gone off 1 main pain drug, found out that my thyroid replacement med wasn’t working so started on Lugol’s Iodine and a selenium supplement and increased my B complex. Did this all help? I don’t know. But I also was able to go off my antidepressant. That is 3 pharmaceuticals gone from my life! And I feel great! And it has been 2 months since all that changed.

I don’t want it to sound like I have all the answers because I don’t by any means but I certainly have been on the dieting merry go round the last few years (and the decades before that!), and watched my Mom and grand parents struggle with their weight with low fat diets all their life and fail, and part of me is doing this for them. And for the young people who come after us. So they don’t have to suffer through the trial and error.

Sweetooth, keep at it! And it takes about a lb of water to hold each half lb of in your body, so as you start to lose fat, the water comes with it. So you aren’t JUST losing water. You are losing both. So don’t fret! Read Dr. Jason Fung’s site (start with his first blog “Calories 1”) and he explains how it all works- it is amazing!

Hi Fitnfast – thanks – when I logged on this morning I took the liberty of copying your post as I didn’t think you would mind. Ha ha yes I am still here – my journey seems a slow one but still in a downward trend. I actually don’t mind now and try not to let frustration get in the road but think of it more as a learning curve and I have certainly gained knowledge while getting rid of excess lbs. I too think of my poor Mum all the years of doing low fat diets, to lose it but only to put it back on again. Please feel free to join us on any of our challenges or just drop in – your thoughts and knowledge may help someone on our global thread.
    I think too of the ones from Little Voices – @ActionHero joined us for a while on one challenge but had some surgery and dropped of again. @Thirdtimelucky – reached maintenance and can be found on her own thread.

Fitnfast – thanks for the thought. I will look at Jason Fung’s site. It really helps to have an idea of how it all works. Your own story is so impressive so thank you.

I’m going on a short break with my daughter tomorrow so it will be impossible for me to keep to plan but will try to be moderate in what I eat.

Good luck to you all.

Update: Made it back below 150 today, to 149 lbs! I have kept up my 2 workouts a week, so am regaining my muscle tone at the same time, so although I am not losing as quickly as last year, I am still losing steady following Dr. Eric Westman’s low carb eating plan and intermittent fasting.

In 3 weeks, I will traveling about an hour north of here to Erie, Pa. to become a certified Zumba instructor, which I have wanted to do for years! I started Zumba in 2007, have always loved to dance, and did aerobics since the 80’s, so this is a bit of a “bucket list” thing for me, and considering I have had 5 surgeries (2 back, 2 foot and 1 knee), and am still a chronic pain patient, I am considering this a very big achievment, and will be so happy to be able to share it with others. My goal , when I get my certification, is to teach a class for free for the financially challenged people in my local areas. The clinic in our local town has a big problem with obesity, and the Dr. and I have had several conversations about diets, and I would like to approach him about this idea , as well as getting the county nutrition board to offer a better program for these people to try to affect a change.

So, onward and downward! And yes, vanity is a part also, I admit! Beach weather is upon us, and reward is not food any more…it is clothes!

I wish I could lose some weight .

@tiffany001 – hope you don’t mind me asking but what is it that is stopping you?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.