Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Keep Fasting with JoJo(continued from Lose 2 lb per week)

This topic contains 7,125 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Barata 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 7,277 total)

• Morning/evening all,

You can reap the benefits of a hula hoop without using a hoop. I used to have a Wii fit that included a set of hula hoop exercises and it was hard work but great fun.
    It also had some boxing sessions which I used to love.

Maybe I should search the cupboard and set it up again………

It’s cold, damp and dull this morning so I won’t be going far.

The freezer is making a lot of noise but still going so I’m going to hang on and see if I can use everything that’s left before I replace it.
    I might be eating a lot of peas over the coming days πŸ˜†

Have a good weekend everybody 😜

I enjoyed the boxing on Wii Fit too Amazon. The running and drumming are fun too. Trouble is, every time I plan to do it, all the batteries are flat. That’s why it’s easier to just run on the spot? Reading the Kindle!
    My surf today was an excellent workout. ☺P

16455 steps in the bank this morning and a breakfast of eggs benedict on a bed of baby spinach the Heat wave continues here in South Australia and the SA Government has warned of power outages and black outs a public request to not set air-con temperature below 26deg applies.
    Have a good weekend ALL
    RT

Rt,
    Goodly amount of steps you did there! I envy your summer, it’s freezing here.
    I don’t often go over 12,000 these days.

I don’t have a wii, I really want to learn to use the hoop because it is part of a fitness circuit I attend. I know it is just a knack as I used to do it as a child. I am certain I am fit enough, just need to practise. I think it is the twists hat are causing the muscle soreness, may cut time in half and switch to something else. Stomach muscles are benefitting though so all good.

PVE-I do run on the spot and jump on a trampet, all good workouts.

Attended dance class today then swam outside, it was heavenly, been missing it. Must ensure I swim three times per week after Dance Class. It’s the perfect relaxation after a full on aerobic workout. Nice to chill in the jacuzzi too. The (very obese) man I met in there today has lost 2.5 stones since Christmas. He does one hour in the gym and one hour in the pool everyday. Still eats burgers and chips plus beer though. I discussed fasting with him. He said he is happy with his current plan. Well if it works I suppose. I reckon he was 25 + stones.

So weird not weighing daily, so ingrained in my life. Cooked a great vegetarian curry today, not too hot as it’s for guests. I am adding haddock on Sunday morning, should be good.

Amazon- pea soup is yummy.

Do they have an outdoor heated pool, Jo? That must cost a fortune to keep warm in your winters, surely? And isn’t it freezing when you get out?
    I watch so many hot and sweating “heavies ” jogging along the waterfront path here in full gym gear, only to see them walk back from the takeaway guzzling burgers and chips. I’d love to be able to get the “less food is the answer, not the jogging” message to them!
    The ocean was 21 here yesterday and the air 28. Absolutely perfect for swimming and reading in the shade.
    Keep cool RT. You must be up very early doing those steps. Does it cool down at night? P

PVE,
    Yes they do have an outdoor heated pool, WiWi has tried it when she was here, it’s great. I don’t mind the chill before getting in and getting out. I just love the fresh air whilst swimming, no horrid smell of chlorine. I always have 5 mins in the jacuzzi after swim.

There are over 2000 members at my gym, I suspect most don’t actually go as it is never that busy in the outdoor pool, usually 4 people, most use pool indoors. Gym can get busy. Dance class is full but it is a huge room and numbers limited to give us space.dance floor craft is a lesson to learn especially on the Viennese Waltz, 40 people spinning can be quite dangerous. Good workout though.

Amazon,

On the subject of getting the benefits of hula hoop without the hoop. I’m just wondering how often I should drop the imaginary hoop? And how often I would then need to bend down to pick up the imaginary hoop….? 😁

In my experience Happy, 1 bend and retrieve for every 3 hip swings (imaginary of course). I wonder if you get imaginary sore muscles too? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Well I guess that depends on whether you’re pretending to use a hoop, or just imagining using a hoop! Benefits from both it seems….

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-grow-stronger-without-lifting-weights/

Good Morning
    You Girls are something! Happy you are great on get something going to makes us laught.
    On the subject of imagining and presenting this self can’t use neither. Very much needed Fast n here today. I can’t just pretend πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. I wish I had lost those 15 pounds … At least let me dream my good and nice clothes fit me nice again πŸ‘
    Guests are gone! They were nice and easy and slim and good shape. They only had bowl of cereal, bananas/fruit, small lunch when we went out and small dinner. Not heavy drinkers either.
    The weather looks fine but there’s wind. Not a good boating day.
    See you later alligator πŸ‡

Hi everyone,

It’s a cold but sunny day today, definitely looking more like spring than winter.

The freezer has finally given up the ghost so a replacement has been purchased and will be delivered tomorrow. I’ve spent the morning clearing everything out of it and it is now defrosting which means I have no fridge either.
    Last time this happened was in the middle of a July heatwave and the milk went off overnight 😩

I have a cool box on the back step full of frozen stock and those blocks you can freeze to keep stuff cool so I’m hoping they stay frozen until tomorrow but if not I’ll just boil them up and re-freeze.
    I’m glad I managed to use almost everything up before it gave up the ghost. The only thing I need to use are frozen apple slices so I’m going to make a crumble and I’ve only thrown out a couple of tablespoons of frozen corn and half a pack of lardons which is a result πŸ™‚
    I made pea puree yesterday and had some with my dinner. The rest will be eaten tonight.

Jo, I rarely eat soup and it isn’t something I would choose to eat very often although I’ll make an exception for Chinese style crab and sweetcorn and very occasionally roasted squash but only if I’m desperate to use veggies up and can’t think of anything else to do with them.

I have the contents of the fridge in the bath. The window is open wide so it is very cold in there and should keep everything fresh.

My imaginary hula hopp is stored in my imaginery utulity room in my imaginery mansion πŸ˜‰

Have a good one everybody 😜

My previous post seems to have disappeared into the ether……

Hi everyone,

Freezer has finally given up the ghost so I’ve ordered a replacement for delivery tomorrow.
    I’ve spent the morning sorting everything out and fortunately have had to throw very little.

It’s a lovely sunny but cold day here,

Happy,
    I took a lesson in Hula Hooping after Dance Class today from the 70 + lady who does it so well. The first thing she said was ‘imagine you can do it’ seriously, so funny when I saw your comments. I followed all her advice and improved my performance somewhat but not in her league. I will just keep practising until it becomes second nature. I am certain you can’t get sore from thinking about exercising though. Interesting article though, wish I had known about it when my foot was in a cast, could barely walk after 6 weeks of no use.

Amazon- I have spent a lot of time cooking for a party tomorrow. Thank goodness my fridge/freezer is working it’s packed to the hilt. How is your vegetarian cooking going?

We had a good win at bowls today and then fish gougons with chips on offer. Never heard of these before but they were a nice change from cheese salad. I swapped my chips for peas.

Went to a musical tonight, my old bowls club, they did a good job, very funny too.

Getting an early night as exhausted.

JoJo gee Ah yes the fish Gujon a fish finger from a fish crumbed and fried amazing.!! Purple up at 4-15am as usual the processing plant i work at starts at 5.30am crazy really but it is what it is πŸ˜‰
    RT

I couldn’t do it RT. πŸ™„

Morning/evening all,

I got up early in case the freezer was being delivered this morning but it is coming this afternoon. Good to have a time slot so I can plan mmy day.
    It is raining here and very windy. It is also so overcast I need to put the lights on.

Jo, I’ve been eating previously made beggie stuff from the freezer since Wednesday.
    I tried my first new recipe yeterday, called seeded pistachio and squash galette. It was a thin base made from pistachios, seed, chestnuts and a few other things blitzed in a processor and rolled out. Once cooked it was topped with a layer of avocado and spinach puree also made in a processor so very easy and topped with roasted thinly sliced squash and cooked red onion. It was delicious and I would make it again. The base is a bit fragile but the taste was worth a bit of fiddling around. I made a quarter portion.

I can’t decide what to make today, I have a list or recipes and the ingredients to make most of them. I might make tortillas with re-fried beans and guacamole.

Once the freezer is up and running I’m going to make burgers which can be frozen and another batch of chilli as it is divine.

You are going to have a fun month Anazon 😊 Sorry I can’t send you some sunshine. P

Purple,
    Sunshine appears to be on the way as it has brightend up considerably in the last hour but I don’t think it’s very warm, March winds doth blow and all that!

I am going to have fun. I found a recipe for celeriac rosti in a magazine and that is going to be added to my ever growing list. I think it would be great with a poached egg on top and some greens or a salad.

I’m calorie counting all the recipes that can’t be made as a single portion so hopefully weight loss will be one of the highlights πŸ˜‰

Amazon, we have been having fun trying tasting plates in various places. Yesterday was a rainforest plate…emphasis on stunning meats and tapanade…tonight, a seafood plate..oysters, cod croquettes, the best calamari I’ve had in years…both “meals” were what most people would regard as entres (starters), but for us were delicious mains. By leaving the breads, we were having salad and proteins. Lots of flavour too. I washed tonight’s down with a lovely Spanish verdejo. Just what the doctor ordered. 😊
    I hope you enjoy that sun this morning and that the new fridge arrives safely
    P

Hi Jojo,

Imagine if you will, an aussie couple in their lateish sixties, standing in the sunny garden of their Perth (Australia) home, taking it in turns to spinup a 40 inch, pink and grey weighted hula hoop.πŸ˜„ YAY, we can do it! Thank you for introducing this new sport to our inner child. Lets see what it can do to my stubborn fat layer.

Val

PerthGirl,

It sounds amazing and it is great exercise if you have good knees. I am on a month waist whittling challenge. I imagine the rocking would be quite uncomfortable on dodgy knees. Sadly I won’t be using my hoop today due to a Yoga injury. I was demonstrating the ‘ballet dancer’ to my son’s girlfriend yesterday without doing a warm up, silly me. She was mightily impressed that a 61 year old could do such a thing with ease and grace. Don’t feel so graceful now Ha Ha. Lesson learned, don’t show off. Seriously though I bought her a Yoga mat and DVD for her birthday, she was interested in learning some poses. I have done yoga for 30 years, great for body and mind.
    I visited Perth in 2015 on a tour of all the cities of Australia, I absolutely loved it, my favourite place, perfect climate, Mediterranean almost, you are very lucky to live there. Next time I go I will stay longer. My daughter lives in New Zealand and we plan to meet in Perth because she will be doing a course there.

The sun is shining here, it’s a beautiful day on the UK South Coast so I am off to walk on the sands. Even the wind has died down, heaven. Contrast to yesterday when I got soaked from head to toe.

Amazon- your meals always sound fabulous.
    Party Day yesterday, celebrating Tonys 60 th with family here. My fish curry was good and my son did a very good chilli, it was very popular with my carnivore guests. Lucky I did a chicken chassuer too as two guests couldn’t tolerate curry or chilli.

Puddings and cakes all shop bought and sent home with the guests. I did partake but only minimally. Only one glass of champagne though so no hangover. (We won’t think about the French bread, garlic bread or chocolate mints)Fifteen guests only but they were here from 1 pm until 9 pm, I was exhausted. So much washing up too. One of my hotplate rings packed up, seal gone, which caused me a few problems. Of course it was a large one which I really needed as all pot dishes. Thank goodness for the microwave.

RT- these goujons were in batter not breadcrumbs. Prefer breadcrumbs though, I used to love fish fingers.

Hi all,
    Dare I say it, a hint of Autumn in Melbourne with the evenings finally cooling down.
    I think I am finally finished with vacating our little weekender, all that “stuff” accumulated over 16 years either given away or thrown out! It was convenient to have everything from champagne flutes to garden tools all there, but we dont really need two of those things, so the kids have taken their picks then the rest gone to St Vincent de Paul….. quite a relief.

At the same time I decided to have a “frugal February” and not buy anything new for the whole month (apart from essentials like food!). I think seeing what came out of all the cupboards at Jamieson was a great reminder of how easy it is to accumulate “stuff” we really dont need. I managed to succeed until today, 6th March, when I simply couldnt resist some heavily reduced sandals! But it has been quite liberating actually, so much time saved not going near the shops…

I am still maintaining but need 2 good fasts a week to do so, have not yet got the non fast days under control….or maybe I just like food too much! I also still struggle just shopping for 2, after years of feeding hungry boys and their equally hungry girlfriends. Luckily I use the freezer a lot as I still cook in bulk….Amazon I hope your new one is installed by now, lucky you didnt lose too much when the old one died.

Jo your party sounds lovely, so nice to get together for birthdays like that. We are going to a friends 65th at a lovely winery on the Mornington Peninsula this Saturday, hoping the weather holds a bit longer! Traditional Italian food a specialty, I better do an extra fast on Friday!

Hi everyone,

Jo, if they’re not in breadcrumbs they ain’t goujons which are defined as strips of chicken or fish coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried. Artistic licence on behalf of the chef methinks πŸ˜‰
    I like them but don’t indulge too often as they invariably come with chips etc.

I’m already enjoying my veggie adventure. For dinner yesterday I had a wrap containing spinach, tomato salsa, guacamole, refried beans, a dollop of yoghurt and topped with cheese. It was so filling I only just managed to squeeze in the remaining apple crumble and custard πŸ˜‰
    I’m having another wrap tonight with less filling to bring it down to 400 calories as it is a FD.

It’s a beautiful cold but sunny day here. Spring flowers in bloom everywhere I look, blossom on the trees, I think winter is on it’s way south!
    I went out this morning and it was so nice I thought about ditching my FD and having lunch somewhere by the river but decided I can do that when the weather is warmer so I can sit outside πŸ˜‡

Nama the fridge freezer was delivered yesterday lunchtime in a brief window between pelting rain and a hailstorm, and by teatime it was turned on and the fridge full of food (lunch and tea being purely figures of speech πŸ˜‰ )
    Fortunately I didn’t have much that needed to be refrigerated and my milk, yoghurt and kefir sat happily in a sink of cold water while I was without a fridge.

Now that the freezer has got up to speed I can start filling it with goodies. I feel uneasy with a freezer than contains nothing but ice cubes 😱
    I’m going to make some veggie burgers tomorrow (only 180 calories each) and will be able to freeze some for other days. I figure I can have them with some toppings and salad/green veg on FDs and something more substantial as a treat on non FDs.
    I’m definitely making a huge batch of chilli as it was so tasty, satisfying and filling. That will satisfy my hoarding tendencies πŸ™‚

Nama it must be strange to have sold your little house but I’m sure you’ll be filling your weekends with lots of exciting things. As for having more stuff than we need, I’m trying to de-clutter my cupboards as they are all full and I’ve no idea what is in half of them….

Hello All,

Nama- your party also sounds fun, I love Italian food, strongly recommend an extra fast before rather than catch up.

Got through this mornings bowls game (back not too bad) but seriously outplayed. We were draw against yesterday’s tournament winners. Exceptional players, much respect.

Feeling jaded today, in need of some rest, fast going well though.

Amazon- did you get a freezer with a veg drawer.

Hi Jo,

The fridge has a big veg drawer at the bottom, and I can change the humidity and temperature settings independent of the rest of the fridge. There are also two drawers above it for keeping meat and fish chilled (not that they’ll get much use at the moment) and I can change the temperature in them too.
    It’s unlikely I’ll ever need more than one so I can remove it and have more shelf space. It’s rather high tech compared to my previous model πŸ€“
    I’ve not finished reading the manual yet and I guess I should to ensure I’m using it properly.

The freezer has three drawers which rest on shelves so that if more space is needed they can be removed and food stacked directly on the shelves. I am pleased with that as is also means more support for the drawers when they are full.

I’m determined to be more disciplined every day not just FDS so no more tsps of peanut butter or a couple of almonds when I get peckish, only water or a hot drink and eat once a day unless it is a special occasion.
    So far so good but it’s only day 6……

PVE, Happy and Amazon,
    Does your milk Kefir grow much. Mine really hasn’t, I added coconut flakes today to feed it something sweeter.

Jo, don’t add anything but milk to the kefir when it is fermenting. In your climate it should be thickening up in 24 hours. Mine grow a few more every day, so, after a few days I need to reduce the number of grains by freezing some or feeding the cat. If left too long, it separates into curds at the top and whey at the bottom. This easily mixes back together.
    It is important not to contaminate the kefir. That is why I only use plastic, glass and wood near it. Even metal utensils will change it.
    Milk is full of lactose (milk sugar) so kefir definitely does not need any other food, just as human babies don’t need anything but breastmilk.
    If yours is slow to ferment, use about 1 tablespoon of kefir grains, max, in 200ml of really good quality full cream milk. It does not have to be raw milk, just full fat homogenised. The fat globules in unhomogenised milk tend to stifle the growth. Experiment a bit. Often too many grains will slow it too. Gradually increase the quantity of milk as the grains get healthier. They are very sturdy little gremlins. Mine even come away on holidays with me, while their friends sit at home, patiently in the freezer. 😊😊P

Hi Jo,

I’m a bit behind you, only just getting a consistent product every 24 hours, but the volume of grains has definitely increased. I’m doing nothing except organic full fat milk. Have you checked out the q and a’s on the Happy Kombucha website? You may find you upset the grains by giving them other things.

My grains have increased but it is a slow process in a cool UK kitchen at this time of year. I did some reading and discovered that the optimum temperature is around 22C and my kitchen is nowhere near that.
    I have had to increase the amount of milk I use and the kefir has been thick and creamy so things are obviously going in the right direction, although the batch I drained this morning was thinner than it has been and I think that is because I’ve been keeping it on top of the fridge freezer and it had to go elsewhere yesterday.

It might have to be an early night for me as I’m feeling quite hungry. I’m looking forward to my AJ burger tomorrow.

Is that the really hungry burger Amazon?

Yes it is and the way I’m feeling now I’ll be re-naming it the ravenous burger πŸ˜‰

PVE,
    I had used only milk until now but no noticeable increase in quantity of grains from when they were bought. I was measuring the qty of milk to the Kefir grains. The temperature of the cupboard where the grains are fermented is reasonably warm as it is near my cooker. I keep the water Kefir in the same cupboard. The water Kefir has grown to 6 times the amount easily and tastes good, quite fuzzy too. I have removed three batches of water grains to give friends or relatives.

I read that coconut flakes could be added to increase the fermentation of milk Kefir, of course I can’t find the article now. I will drain it in the morning and rinse the grains. It does get creamy but if left more than 24 hours it get very sour. I don’t mind it mildly sour but not strongly. I add single cream to strained milk if it is too sour, makes it drinkable. My dogs don’t mind how sour it is though so not wasted. I will do some more research.

Cheers everyone

The “tang” of kefir is the goodness Jo. If you rinse the grains, you’ll need to use filtered water. Don’t use chlorinated tap water, it will kill them. P

Hello,
    What a sad story! Everybody talking about kefir while I don’t have mine anymore 😑. Meanwhile I am in love with full fat plain Greek yougurt. I could eat the entire 2lbs container all at once.
    I didn’t complete the Fast last week. I think this was the first time I was lost and unfocused.
    Tomorrow will be the day God willing.
    Is the chilly everyone talks about here the same we eat here in the US. Meat, beans and lots of spices?
    Amazon is your veggie burger from that vegan book/Jerusalem? I bought a delicious veggie burger last year from our Costco wholesale but that made pass too much stinky gas 😱. It was black beans, corn, spicy and who knows what was in it.
    Glad Amazon has the new fridge, Jo is determined, Nama has downsized, Purple is keeping everyone up with kefir, RT keeping us updated and Happy with the good trends.
    I still have hope to lose my 15 pounds πŸ˜‘
    Xoxo
    🀑

You’ll do it HBC.☺
    I use chillies in much of my cooking ….usually about 3″ long ones or the tiny hotter ones.
    Fast meal last night (we were holidaying and clearing out the fridge)… onion, fennel, capsicum, chilli, garlic, left over salad leaves, cabbage, carrot, pasatta and chunks of smoked salmon, served on zero noodles with a little grated, very dried out, Parmesan. I love holiday cookups 😊😊 P

Thanks Purple. Isn’t chili a very hot pepper? Just thinking about makes hot 🌢
    … hi also to Wee who is very excited getting ready to her well deserved cruise vacation.

Sure. The smaller, and therefore hotter they are, the more careful I am about washing my hands after chopping. Too many experiences of stinging eyes and lips 😢😢
    Chillies are very good for you and add great flavour to many dishes. P

Morning All,

I have woken up with this ‘sense of doom’ this morning, no idea why, feel really low. This is not like me I am usually very upbeat and positive. I had a night of bad dreams that actually woke me up they were so horrible. Do nuts cause such events, like cheese is supposed to do, Ihad pistachios last evening. I think an early morning walk is called for to freshen up my mind. Thinking about it I not think I drank enough water yesterday and then had a salty snack so possibly induced by lack of hydration.

PVE- I only rinse grains in spring water PVE, thanks.

Have a good day everyone, no fast for me today. I must tidy my bedroom today, pile of clothes to sort, hang, and iron. Boring!

HCB- I also love chilli dishes, but usually only add one.
    PVE-yes I have had chilli burn, especially when I forget to use a nail brush after chopping. It really makes your eyes water if you accidentally touch them before thoroughly cleaning your hands.
    Amazon- I heard about a fridge freezer last night that costs Β£16,000, in John Lewis, has all mod cons including a TV screen, computer etc. Who would pay that? Pop Star I guess. I was at a friend’s playing bridge, she has just bought a big American fridge, double door, I think she said it was Β£2000. I usually pay about Β£300 for replacements. Crazy money.

Morning/evening all,

It’s a bright morning with hazy sunshine and I’m off to the gym.

HCB, Jerusalem isn’t a vegan cookery book, it contains all manner of recipes from the part of thr world it is named for.

There is a chef called Anna Jones who has written two vegetarian/vegan cookery books and the burger recipe is hers. The chilli I’m talking about is also from her book. Chili con carne is popular here too but I don’t like kidney beans so always use something else. I’ve also made lots of versionsusing mixed veg, whatever I have in the fridge but this one contains lentils, beans, quinoa, bulghur wheat, has a great flavour and a meaty texture.

Why is anyone rinsing kefir grains?
    I had a good look at mine this morning and I would say they’ve trebled since I first used them. I started off with 250mls of mmilk which I’ve gradually increased but I don’t measure it other than by taking note of how far up the jar it comes πŸ˜†
    It is also thick and creamy again now it is back in its usual place πŸ™‚

Jo, my fridge freezer is a Bosch and has an A++ rating so it cost rather more than Β£300 but I wanted something well designed, efficient and reliable. The previous model was a Hotpoint and I would not buy another but it was all I could afford at the time.

Amazon, I guess Jo is rinsing her grains so she can see the coconut flakes she added to ‘feed’ her kefir. Did you sprinkle them on top like fish food Jo?! 😁

I like the RH burger. I didn’t cook the last batch of mushrooms down enough so the mix was a bit weight, but still tasty! Sadly I still have to make meat burgers for OH πŸ™

I’m a big chilli fan too. I often sprinkle a dried birds eye chilli into other sauces or casseroles just to give a bit of depth. But if I’m making something spicy, then one chilli just isn’t going to cut the mustard. I’d best stop now…It’s a fast day and I’m salivating just thinking about chilli 😁

Jo,

re: your kefir.
    You appear to be concerned that the grains haven’t yet multiplied enough for you to give extra to friends. Your friends could always buy their own if they’re too impatient to wait for a freebie?
    You say that it’s too sour if you leave it longer than 24 hours. Easy one this, don’t leave it longer than 24 hours!

Good morning everyone,
    Jo I hope you are feeling better by know. I totally understand such bad days. What I tell myself is that tomorrow is another day πŸ™πŸ». I believe we all sometimes have those down days moments to appreciate the good one.
    With that ready to take some natural vitamineD while walking Sasha.
    Have a good days Kids 😘

Happy,

Don’t read this if you are ravenous!

I’ve made the mixture but mis-read the recipe so my pieces of mushroom are quite chunky as I thought they were heading for the food processor. I blitzed half of them with the beans and all seems to be fine.
    I’ve got 7 chilling in the meat drawer of my fridge before I put them in the freezer and one on a tray ready for dinner. I decided that as it is a first tasting/road test to go the whole hog so I’ve bought a nice seeded roll and have another tray with a few sweet potato chips ready to be baked. I’ll add a small spinach salad and maybe a cold beer.

I’m already thinking about adding chillies to the next batch!

I love the chilli and I have a variety of dried chillies, ancho, habanero and a couple of others and I rehydrated and used some last time I made it along with some fresh ones. It has a really good depth of flavour and the cocoa was better than the 70% chocolate I usually chuck in.

I am so excited at the prospect of cooking all these new dishes.
    I bought some beetroot so later in the week it’ll either be the bourgingnon or the lentils with beets.

I had my BP measured this morning and it is the lowest it has been since I was diagnosed with hypertension. I know it is artificially lowered by my medication but we are approaching lowering the dose if it decreases further and it is a result of my weight loss and improved fitness.
    As a consequence I did a longer and harder workout at the gym than originally planned. I hope I don’t pay for it tomorrow…..
    I’m feeling very pleased with myself 😎

Amazon,

The lentils and beets recipe is a good one too. I haven’t made it since the autumn though when my garden stopped producing beets and the herbs for the salsa verde. I’ve not tried the bourgingnon.

I’m breaking my fast this evening with the lime/black bean/chipotle tortillas…With a ‘side salad’ of meat for OH!

Congratulations on the lowering of BP. The benefits of exercise?

Congratulations Amazon! It’s for sure a huge accomplishment there πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    No good reading all the recipes exchange while on FD.
    πŸ˜‘

Happy,
    Yes you are quite right, I needed to remove to coconut shavings, nightmare. What I should have done was spoon them out from the top of the Kefir before I poured it into the strainer.

The grains have not increased at all since I have been making Kefir which leads me to believe they are not enjoying their environment or were not healthy grains to begin with. I realise they don’t multiply as quickly as water Kefir. I didn’t shorten the 24 hour fermentation because the grains are not performing that well and instructions I have read say they will do better with longer fermentation. It’s not really about giving them away, although I think that is a nice thing to do. I think building up your immune system is a wise thing especially as you get on in years. On the plus side the coconut flavoured milk is delicious. It doesn’t seem to have caused any harm but we will see.

Feeling more upbeat now, good day.

Fish curry for dinner was yummy.

Amazon- great news on the blood pressure.

Thanks, I think it’s a combination of exercise and weight loss.
    My resting heart rate is also down as a result of increased cardio-vascular fitness.
    The benefits of exercise are well worth the effort.

Happy.
    I saw a bunch of beetroot and put them in my bag without a thought as to what I would do with them. I like them any which way from raw grated in salads to roasted with other veg or pureed so I know I’ll enjoy whatever I decide to make with them. There is also a beetroot curry recipe……..

I had a slightly modified version of the tortillas on Sunday and yesterday, and they were very good.

I really liked the burger πŸ™‚

Jo, I doubt there is anything wrong with your kefir grains they probably just need more time. You’ll need to be patient with them πŸ˜‰

Amazon, I think you may need to explain to Jo what patience is…? Yes, Jo, it’s not just a card game 😁

Seriously though Jo, if you really are concerned the milk grains aren’t working properly, you could talk to the supplier about it? I’m a few days behind you and mine are going now, and it can’t be much above 16 degrees in their cupboard. Have you tried a different source of milk maybe? I’m not using raw, just organic whole milk.

And I’m glad to hear you’re feeling of dread/doom has passed. I get that sometimes after disturbed dreams. But now you’ve mentioned it, I wonder which comes first!

Hi all,

I am fasting today and ravenous, luckily all you chilli-heads dont tempt me! Chilli really does not agree with me so I avoid it – along with coriander..

We had a great day yesterday exploring a part of our own region that we should have explored years ago. We went to a National Park that is at one side of “The Heads” of Port Phillip Bay (the Bay Melbourne is situated on) – Point Nepean.
    This land was originally controlled by the Army and there are a couple of old forts that were built before WW1. The buildings that fascinated me were the old Quarantine Station – when shiploads of poor wretches arrived from the UK, including people suffering from typhus and all manner of dreadful diseases, they had to be quarantined here until they were safe to let loose in the colonies. Very interesting history to read…

Our Autumn is lovely, still hitting the 30s this week but lovely cool nights and mornings. I guess we will all be moaning about the cold soon. Fresh getting out of the heated pool this morning!

It’s fun exploring locally Nama, isn’t it?
    I’ve changed to a heavier quilt today…autumn has arrived here too.
    Good luck with the rest of your fasy. P

I wasn’t joking last week when I said that the previous week had been our summer – autumn has hit with a vengeance! Central heating was on last night (and would be on tonight if OH wasn’t out). Dreadful downpours in the north, just cool here, but that’s it – so depressing. Summer’s my time!

Not sure what’s up with my water kefir, but I have to report no multiplication of grains in the weeks since I have been working with them. And must admit, although there are some tiny bubbles while it is fermenting, once it’s in the bottle all action stops. But I am willing to be patient πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 1,451 through 1,500 (of 7,277 total)

You must be logged in to reply.