Jump-Start January! The January 2023 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Jump-Start January! The January 2023 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 397 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  michelinme 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 404 total)

• Dorset – NFD

@michelinme – well done on refusing all those cakes etc. sounds exciting, the House of Commons! I met a Baroness the other day who was on her way to the House of Lords, she is an amazing lady who works very hard for her cause.

@funshipfreddie – thank you for your advice I have bought his book to work on. Luckily for me I never started smoking – it would have been another thing to give up!

@linda.b – what a start to your birthday! Hopefully 2023 will be fantastic for you

Day 15. USA. FD

Pocket List โ€“ Day 15 ๐Ÿ‡
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @ccco

Just jumping in there for accountability! The days just keep getting away from me! Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Day 16 Melbourne, Australia FD

@linda.B pleased to see you back. You are the one who started me on the vegetable and fruit FD with no counting calories and this works for me. What a calamitous birthday dinner. So thankful you are okay-ish. Not a good 2022 so hopefully 2023 is a LOT better.

Saturday’s FD went well. My body is a weird machine. Yesterday was not a good day food wise, but this morning I am the lowest weight I have been for over a year. Today is a FD so I don’t celebrate that fact by going overboard on the eating.

Pocket list day 16
    @malee57

Day 16 FD country west Australia 85.3 kgs
    Have been MIA in bed several day with a ‘ virus’ of ?? origin.
    Started as a cold but felt much like a flu, without bring the flu – tested negative to Covid.
    Good way to have some unscheduled FDs when feeling so unwell.
    Emerged today and will see how it goes.
    Will catch up on posts later when my eyes are actually functioning and not watering so much.
    Have a good day everyone.
    @malee57 congrats on the lowest weight. So motivating!๐Ÿ˜‡

Day 16 FD800 AUS

@linda.b, sorry to hear about your accident! That sounds dreadful. Good job keeping at maintenance though.

@maui, congrats on the new low!

I am doing Mon-Fri FD800s to give things a kickstart this week; I think there were a few others doing that? I am still on leave this week (woot!) so putting myself in a detox diet and exercise boot camp. I know I will feel so much stronger and leaner at the start of next week if I do the work this week.

Day 15 USA/HI NFD
    NFD but calories just under 1200. Checking in for accountability. Loss for words todayโ€ฆ feeling very sad about DH. He seems to be giving up. DS feels heโ€™ll be fine but heโ€™s not hereโ€ฆ on another island with his own health challenges. And of course thatโ€™s a concern too. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. And prayers for all here dealing with their own health challenges and/ or their LO.

DORSET – FD- lost track of days

@maui – My heart goes out to you, what a worrying time for you and your family. Will pray for you all, I hope today will be a better day.

Day 16 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

Weight up slightly, despite yesterday’s FD. I lost the plot a little Friday/Sat. Note to self – ‘practise what you preach!’.

@maui – sending you a hug & hoping you’ll see some improvement today in your DH ๐Ÿค—

The school term starts this week in this province – finally! – & sanity is returning to the town. The municipal workers have done a great job of keeping the beaches & town clean, but the amount of litter visitors create is unbelievable. Makes me so angry ๐Ÿ˜ 

Have a good one, Monday fasters! ๐Ÿ’ช ๐ŸŽฏ

Pocket List – Day 16 ๐Ÿ’
    @malee57
    @lilymartin
    @litprof
    @dramaqueen6

Day 16 UK FD

Nice to have a few treats over the weekend but not as indulgent as I was during December, we have a trip to Lisbon booked 3 weeks today and I have a pair of jeans Iโ€™m mind Iโ€™d like to fit into by then ๐Ÿ‘–

Oh @maui what a difficult time you are having , youโ€™re in my thoughts ๐Ÿฅฐ

Good to see you back @lilymartin – yes we have a lot of strange viruses doing the rounds here too ๐Ÿฆ 

Pocket List โ€“ Day 16 ๐Ÿ’
    @malee57
    @lilymartin
    @litprof
    @dramaqueen6
    @brightonbelle

Day 15 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 215 lbs. Got a lot done yesterday with organizing pantries and closets. Now need to sweep up a bit, which is a lot easier ๐Ÿ™‚ I think the next FD may be Wednesday this week. Lots of crazy meetings which for some reason typically involve food, over the next couple of weeks. And Vegas is getting closer yay!!!

Day 16 UK FD800

Yesterday was nearly an accidental FD800 until the last of the Christmas cheesy crackers fell across my path! I stayed up until 1am working on chapter so I could send it in by this morning’s deadline then fell into bed.

I made a tasty keto soup yesterday for this week’s M-ThFD800: curried carrot and butterbean with coconut milk added for extra protein. The coconut milk doubled the calories but definitely worth it as it’s hugely satisfying and stops cravings – no excuse for the cheesy crackers!

Great to have so many starting b2b FD800 this week – we are always stronger together. Forgive me for not host posting today but tight and have to leave in 10 mins – I’ll be back tomorrow to catch up

@malee57 congratulations on your new low!

@maui thinking of you. I hope DH turns a corner x

@malee57
    @lilymartin
    @litprof
    @dramaqueen6
    @brightonbelle
    @michelinme

USA. Day 16. FD

@malee57
    @lilymartin
    @litprof
    @dramaqueen6
    @brightonbelle
    @michelinme
    @ccco

Today I am babysitting my granddaughter, so I will have to check back later! Hope everyone has a wonderful day! ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 16 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD 156.4

Yup, almost five pounds up from last Friday morning–and that’s after not eating like a pig this weekend! Truly, I was decently behaved. I did, however, have a beer last night, which I’m beginning to see always bumps my weight the next day.

And, I followed @funshipfreddie‘s advice on Alan Carr and bought his book on stopping sugar and just read some fascinating thoughts. (I tried to highlight, copy and paste, but they’ve clearly protected the document from being able to do that.)

Bottom line: whether it works or not, it’s fascinating and easy to read, so I’m taking the word of everyone who’s read Carr’s book, that they work, and I’m reading it. I’ll post more tomorrow on what I find. ๐Ÿ‘

Hi. I havenโ€™t posted for months. Someone on here pointed me at Eat Like A Bear on YouTube, and I lost all my 36lbs ( approxโ€ฆ) in three months, from November 2021 to January 2022. And Iโ€™ve kept it off. So many many thanks to that person. For me, much, much, much easier than 5:2, much less effort, much quicker and easier, although obviously it requires effort. You eat one huge meal a day, every day, and thatโ€™s it. Soooo easy. You need to know what to eat, obvs, but stillโ€ฆ.

Day 16 Wales ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ FD

Busy, busy day which is great for a FD. Quick post for accountability ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 17 Melbourne, Australia FD800

I think yesterday was more a FD800 than a traditional FD. Today will be the same as from tomorrow I am going away with a friend and will not be fasting at all for 5 days. And will be only tangentially watching my weight.

Today is going to be a stinker with an expected 37c. So I’m off to do some strength exercises before it warms up too much.

@maui I hope today is a little better for you and your DH.

Day 17 FD800 AUS

I finally faced the scales this morning. 59.5k (131lbs), siggghhh. So Iโ€™m checking in for accountability and to watch that number publicly go down!

@maui, I am so sorry to hear about your DH. Big hugs to you.

Day 16 Ohio, US — FD800
    Days 13, 14, 15 — NFD

Sorry I’ve been absent a few days — I got an infection over the weekend and that forced me to keep a low profile. Friday’s weigh-in was semi-good news. The scales showed a gain of 4 ounces, so basically the weight has stayed the same. Two new developments on the eating front: I definitely am desiring to eat less for breakfast. I thought this might be due to my getting really hungry in the evenings, but even at breakfast after a fast day, l really don’t feel like eating very much. The other development is an experiment: in the evenings I’m taking a protein shake to help curb the appetite. It will be interesting to see how the experiment works out.

@malee57 Have a great holiday!

@emmataylor Glad to hear your good news! It’s always wonderful to hear about success!

@maui I hope things go a little better with your DH. Rehab can be really hard. My shoulder rehab experience was incredibly painful, so much so, that I really dreaded doing it. So I hope that your DH gets to see a little light at the end of the tunnel — that can make a big difference. I’ll be keeping you both in my thoughts.

@malee57
    @lilymartin
    @litprof
    @dramaqueen6
    @brightonbelle
    @michelinme
    @ccco
    @matpi
    @missybear

Day 17 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – FD keto 800

Day 2 and I have put on a pound since yesterday’s weigh in ha ha!!! The wonders of a middle aged woman’s body!!! But going strong, DH and I determined to go on thus. Even ordered some keto sticks ๐Ÿ˜ณ

@michelinme goodness, I have lost two decades of my life….I stopped smoking in 2002 not last year ๐Ÿ˜„ So I am heading for 21 years nicotine free. Yay.

@emmataylor thought of you recently and here you are. I think it was @stitchincarol who introduced Eat Like A Bear. Good for you losing all that weight.

Have a good Tuesday.

Day 17 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

@emma-taylor – great to hear from you, & that’s fantastic?! 36 lbs in 3 months!๐ŸŽฏ Not sure I could have only one meal per day indefinitely though; unless I could make that meal last for 8 hours ๐Ÿ˜…

@stitchincarol – I hope you enjoy the book, & that it works for you!

@daffodil2010 – 17 years + 17 days for me ๐Ÿšซ ๐Ÿšฌ But that was mainly thanks to Gillian Riley’s book.

There’s a tiger on the loose in Johannesburg?! It escaped a couple of days ago, & has so far attacked one person & killed the man’s dog. Keeping a tiger as a pet? And no permit required. Only in Africa ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Gotta dash…

Pocket List – Day 17 ๐Ÿ‹
    @malee57 – FD800
    @litprof
    @daffodil2010 – FD800

DORSET – FD – Weigh in : -1lb

@funshipfreddie – thank you again for the recommendation of Allen Carrs emotional eating, I am really enjoying it, and the last chapter is to be read tonight! Tiger!!!! “Let’s be careful out there”

@matpi – I hope you feel better soon.

To all those who have given up smoking and alcohol, I take my hat off to you all!

Pocket List โ€“ Day 17
    @malee57 โ€“ FD800
    @litprof
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800

2nd Post – Day 17

Pocket List โ€“ Day 17 ๐Ÿ‹
    @malee57 โ€“ FD800
    @litprof
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @dramaqueen6

Day 17 country west Australia quasi FD 85.2 kgs
    I currently find it Much easier to do a FD when I have no appetite.
    Yesterday’s FD went well, scrambled egg and small fruit salad for dinner .
    Not sure if today will stay under 800 calories as I did have one Roses choc after lunch, which was a recipe made by Dr Moseley’s wife Claire last night on TV.
    Watched a program about obesity and Dr Moseley with some people on a weight loss regime for 3 weeks. All lost weight and were healthier after the 3 weeks.
    Moseley’s wife cooked up some meals and we had the baked capsicum with tuna and spinach for lunch today – yum.๐Ÿ˜‹
    Not entirely convinced about the keto and low carbs…๐Ÿค”
    As children we had a white carb rich diet , white bread, white rice, white pasta and filled up on bread if we were still hungry after a meal.
    We did have meat and 3 veg virtually every meal. Soft drink about twice a year for Christmas and birthdays, few sweets etc. And we were extremely active.
    And skinny as rakes into our twenties….๐Ÿ˜‡
    Looking at school photos from the 60s and 70s there were very few overweight kids.
    So not sure why ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
    And interestingly few/ no children with food allergies and little/no autism… I always find this intriguing and would love to do the research on these issues. In another life ….
    @maui thinking of you and your DH and DS. Hope all goes better for all of you.
    Good to see so many coming back for accountability. It helps.
    @Emmataylor, well done on the pounds gone.
    ๐Ÿ˜‡for all those giving up alcohol and cigarettes. Very difficult to do but good for your health.๐Ÿ’

second post
    @linda_b, so sorry to hear about your accident, glad that you are on the mend!๐Ÿ’
    2022 was indeed a really difficult year for you but you have come through and are so positive you have inspired me to really make 2023 be a good year in all ways. Thank you . ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™

Day 17 UK F800

Wow ! well done @emma-taylor I guess itโ€™s about finding what works for each of us .Trust you are still travelling and generally enjoying life

@malee57 โ€“ FD800
    @litprof
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @dramaqueen6
    @lilymartin
    @brightonbelle

Day 17 Wales ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ NFD

Bitterly cold day, would rather not go outside but for the sake of my stiff back I had better layer up and get out for a walk. Havenโ€™t eaten yet as as I have cut out breakfasts to extend the overnight fast each day as a trial this month so I am having 2 meals a day brunch and evening dinner. It does help to go for a pre brunch walk to keep me occupied and away from the kitchen.

Strength to todayโ€™s fasters ๐Ÿ’ช

Day 17 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 218 lbs. Tomorrow is my planned FD, but will do a ZBC today. On the road with the boss this afternoon, so probably lunch today. Thankfully, mom made chicken noodle soup over the weekend, so that awaits at home for a light supper.

Good luck to the fasters today!

USA. DAY 17. FD

@malee57 โ€“ FD800
    @litprof
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @dramaqueen6
    @lilymartin
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco

Day 17 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD Weight? Don’t wanna say…

I’m struggling. I quit reading the book on stopping sugar; while I know it’s bad for you, I really am not aiming to quit sugar entirely, but just mostly, and I got rapidly tired of the repeated message that the only reasonable option is to quit entirely. Is that head in the sand stuff? Probably.

@linda.b I’m so horrified at all you went through, and so touched you remembered @northgeorgia and my 4-pound race, LOL! We’ve clearly neither of us managed to go four pounds in the correct direction, although we’ve both managed 4+ in the WRONG direction!

@emma-taylor I’m so thrilled for you!!!

What has me so despondent is that I’m not even managing to maintain, even though I’m doing a WF twice a week. Thus, the way I’m eating is not “reasonable” on any level, and that’s depressing. Something has to change, but as I consider the options (MFP, AF, etc.), I don’t like any of them, and don’t have high hopes that I’d stick to them. So I’m thinking. And thinking. And thinking.

I’ll be back tomorrow…

Day 17 UK FD800

Successful FD yesterday but I forgot to weigh this morning as woke up tired and aching. It’s been a full on day of juggling project, family and home stuff and I still have to finish tweaking references and last draft of writing this evening. Keeping succinct as I need to eat, edit, bathe & sleep

I’m just eating a bowl of curried carrot & butter bean soup – yay past me, this is delicious and was just waiting for me in the fridge! This will be followed by roast beetroot, mashed swede and stir-fried pak choi plus a 1/4 of cashew cheese that I’d put aside for Christmas and forgotten about – another yay for past me! I’m getting better at adding more protein and taking out carbs tho I can’t wait for a quieter few days to be able to cook and plan meals.

@emma-taylor Congratulations on your epic weight loss and maintenance – and yay re finding something that really works for you!

@malee57 hope you are suriving the heat

@litprof well done for naming where you are now

@matpi hope you feel better now. Interested to hear how you get on with these tweaks

@daffodil2010 21 years is an epic achievement! And @funshipfreddie at 17 years and 17 days. I’m just coming up t0 10 years – 13 Feb 2013

@dramaqueen6 really interested to know what you think – and top tips please, if you have time. Well done on the 1lb loss

@lilymartin in FD800 keto MM shows a link between rise in obesity with increased use of processed food

@missybear extending overnight fast is a great idea. How did you get on on icy walk without breakfast?

@stitchincarol i’m sorry you are struggling and hope something clicks for you x

@malee57 โ€“ FD800
    @litprof
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @dramaqueen6
    @lilymartin
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol WFD
    @michelinme FD800

Day 17 Thought We’re halfway through the challenge: how’s your Jump Start going?

Day 18 AUS FD800

@stitchincarol, I am sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment.

I do use MFP, and it REALLY reveals where those unrecognised calories are sneaking in. I find it hard to lose without daily tracking, and its so boring to enter everything that it helps me eat less. At the moment, I am on a 14 day FD800 stint, so thereโ€™s less to record. I have a small lunch, then dinner. I have favourite meals pre-entered.

Today is day 3 of my stint, and .5k (1lb) down so far. It will take a little while, but my determination is January strong!

Day 17 Ohio, US — NFD

I just finished my French homework, so am a little tired. Here’s a question that I’ve been pondering for a few days and research on the Internet hasn’t turned up an answer. Perhaps someone in this Forum might know the answer. In the last few Ngaio Marsh books that I’ve read, Died in the Wool being the most recent, it appears that during World War II a number of New Zealanders (and probably Aussies) went by ship from England back to New Zealand (or Australia). What would have been the safest route for a ship to make that voyage? It would seem that it would have to go around the southern end of South America or the southern end of Africa. lf it went via South America, it would risk all the German U-Boat activity in the Atlantic. If it went via Africa, the Axis patrolled the Indian Ocean pretty thoroughly as well. It seems that a number of freighters were sunk by U-boats east of South Africa. I realize that this is somewhat off topic, but I’m hopeful that somebody among the Southern Hemispherites might know the answer.

@litprof Thanks for posting that! Your determination is contagious!

@michelinme Yesterday there was an article in the Washington Post about a method for managing when energy resources are low. So anyone struggling with chronically low energy might find this helpful. Here’s the link:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/01/14/spoon-theory-chronic-illness-spoonie/

@stitchincarol Sorry to hear you’re struggling. You’ve been such an inspiration to me ever since I returned to this forum! Do you think that it may be a matter of the winter doldrums? Out your way you all have had a pretty tough time with all the snow and cold.

@missybear Ah that bitter cold can really sap the energy and joy out of fasting! I know that when it’s bitter cold here, I sometimes barely drag through the FD’s.

Day 18 country west Australia NFD 85.5 kgs
    @stitchincarol I really DO feel for you!
    As many on this forum know, I hit a plateau in 2017 after doing 5:2 absolutely to the letter of how it should be done. MFP for calories; FDs always under or only to 500; NO cheating; cut out lots of unhealthy food; exercised more; ate a LOT less and STILL no change on the scales ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ.
    Stayed on the plateau so long I redecorated it!!! And then…. had a hissy fit, fell off the wagon, and not only fell off but waved it goodbye.๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž
    Ate like there was no tomorrow….๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Fast forward 5 years and here I am back AGAIN!!!!
    AND 11 kgs heavier than when I first started 5:2. ๐Ÿ˜ข
    Please,๐Ÿ™ please ๐Ÿ™,PLEASE ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™do not follow my stupid example.
    This time I am back on the wagon and doing 5:2 by the book. ๐Ÿ˜‡
    Lost weight due to FDs due to lack of appetite.
    Ate very little yesterday, expected Cruella de Scales to be perfectly nice this morning – and the bitch was UP 300gms !!!!!!!
    Apologies – I do not usually swear but sometimes it is SOOOOO frustrating to put the effort in for no apparent result…
    Anyway, I/we on the forum are happy to support you however we can to help you get past this hurdle.

Day 17 USA/HI NFD
    Day 16 USA/HI NFD
    Weigh-in on Day 16 was a new low of 163 lb
    Sad to say DH seems is so tired and I feel he is giving up. I will try to stay accountable with posting everyday but not sure how this week will turn out.
    Thanks to all for the prayers, virtual hugs and kind words.

Day 18 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – FD 800 Keto

Powering on and feeling motivated. Absolutely delicious meal last night with chicken breast, red onions, edamame beans, red pepper, chorizo, mushrooms….all keto friendly and nom nom nom!! Showing a loss, on we go.

@maui, you are in my prayers at this hard time…hugs. X

@funshipfreddie, prompted by the Allan Carr reminder I downloaded one of his alcohol free books, or was it avoid hangovers?? Anyhoo, it’s still on message for shrugging off the noose of alcohol. I haven’t finished it yet, and probably won’t go AF, but it’s certainly resetting the mind after a tough day and the wine dragon calls….don’t feel the need, and once I get through dinner with my pint of water, I never feel the need anyway, so it’s good.

Have a good Wednesday

Dorset – NFD

@maui – thinking of you.
    @michelinme – re Allen Carr, what is sticking in my brain is, that when I have eaten crisps, chocolate, bread when I am stressed is that, it was more the thought that I might get comfort from that type of food, however, it doesn’t give me that and half the time I am just eating. So, what is the point in eating it if it doesn’t give me the enjoyment that I thought it would. Hopefully, I can keep on thinking this way. As @stitchincarol said it is repetitive but my brain needs that ๐Ÿ˜ฌ.
    @lilymartin – I find sometimes when there is a plateau eat normally for a couple of days and then get back on the counting calories again. It sometimes gives your body a nudge to say that you are not starving it! That is how it has worked for me in the past.
    @funshipfreddie – I hope you haven’t been eaten by the tiger! I was so intrigued I looked it up and apparently the tiger returned home but they couldn’t catch it so she has gone missing again!

Have a lovely day everyone

Day 18 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – FD

@dramaqueen6 – I’m glad you’re enjoying the book; hope it helps! Sadly, Sheba the tiger is no more. She was found early this morning & euthanized. Apparently she was even more dangerous than a regular, wild tiger because she was unafraid of people. And it wasn’t safe to dart her in the area she was found in.

@lilymartin – so true! We ate all the ‘wrong’ food in the 60’s & 70’s, but I remember maybe one overweight kid at school. But one thing we didn’t do was snack. Back then we called it ‘eating between meals’. And we didn’t spend every spare moment staring at screens.

@stitchincarol – did you come up with a solution, or are you still pondering? ๐Ÿ˜… I haven’t read all Allen Carr’s books, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same formula for each addiction/phobia. The one I read was called ‘How to Control Alcohol’. Which strongly suggests that one’s consumption can be regulated. But when it comes to the crunch he says that the nature of all drug addiction is for us to gradually want more & more to create the initial buzz/high, because we build a tolerance to the initial dose. And it’s the very substance we’re addicted to that creates the addiction in the first place. I don’t know if it’s the same with sugar, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is. Refined sugar doesn’t appear anywhere naturally. Imagine having a stick of sugar cane & a rock to work with every time you wanted to add sugar to your coffee?

@michelinme – how’s my Jump-Start January going? It hadn’t even occurred to me the month is half over until I read your post. My month is okay so far, but I need to ramp up the exercise. It’s too hot/humid though. Could do with a few days of good rain. I feel almost envious when I read of people complaining of cold weather ๐Ÿฅต๏ธ

@daffodil2010 – there is a ‘No More Hangovers’ book! ๐Ÿ˜… Haven’t read it though; from the reviews it looks as if it’s just a condensed version of the ‘Control Alcohol’ book.

Sobering news of a new Canadian study re alcohol consumption & health:-
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64311705

Happy Hump Day! ๐Ÿซ

Pocket List – Day 18 ๐Ÿ
    @litprof – FD800
    @daffodil2010 – FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 18 Wales ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ NFD

Having a relax today, a walk, reading, perhaps some knitting. A cosy winter kind of day.

@michinlinme yesterdayโ€™s walk was thoroughly enjoyable, so cold I couldnโ€™t feel my nose but beautiful blue sky and sunshine. Morning walks before brunch are working for me, Iโ€™m motivated to get the exercise in as a food delaying tactic and I have read that the body burns more fat if you exercise in a fasted state. Oh and I definitely enjoy brunch afterwards.
    My Jump Start January is going well, not easy, Iโ€™m still adjusting and gradually getting back into the 5:2 routine and looking forward to it becoming the norm again so I donโ€™t have to think about it so much.

@stitchincarol and @lilymartin how well I know how you both feel! Very recently I felt fed up of the weight gain, frustrated I couldnโ€™t get back to losing but not wanting to give up the food and drink I want to indulge in. Sorry I canโ€™t suggest a sure to work plan but what I personally discovered was when I tried too hard it just back fired and I would end up feeling miserable and deprived. This month I have looked back at what I did in 2017 when I was successful and realised it was straight forward 5:2 with calories between 500 and 800 on Mondays and Thursdays and sticking within my TDEE on NFDs. I recorded that I was enjoying food on a low carb Mediterranean style diet with red wine within my NFD allowance and there is no mention of feeling deprived, so that is the track Iโ€™m taking now. In 2017 the loss was slow but steady and I will be delighted if I can do it again.
    Hold tight we can do this ๐Ÿค—

@maui thinking of you and your DH, take care xx

@funshipfreddie happy to trade you some Welsh weather ๐ŸŒง๏ธ โ˜”๏ธ ๐Ÿฅถ for a little African warmth ๐Ÿฅต ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a good hump day everyone. Together we are stronger ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿค—

Day 18 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 215 lbs. Yesterday turned into an accidental FD, yay! No major movements downwards, but overall the trend is down from last week. Would be nice to start hitting some more sub 215 weights before my trip so I can squeeze into those discount airline seats ๐Ÿ™‚

2nd Post – Day 18

Pocket List โ€“ Day 18 ๐Ÿ
    @litprof โ€“ FD800
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @funshipfreddie

Day 18 UK F800

Once again youโ€™ve captured my thoughts brilliantly
    @missybear – I long to stay on track ,lose weight ( even slowly ) but not have to obsess about it , Iโ€™m working on it – but finding it challenging- so I hear you @stitchincarol , hang in there your mojo will return ๐Ÿ’ช

@litprof โ€“ FD800
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @brightonbelle

Day 18 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD 154.0 (AND THAT’S AFTER A WF!!!!!!!!!!!)

Okay, that’s the only ugly I’m allowing myself. It just means I have a smidge further to go; it doesn’t mean I’m an awful and shameful person…I’m trying to channel @coda‘s kindness.

I almost didn’t post yesterday. I almost just decided to chuck it all. Almost.

But I like you people, and even when weight loss is nonexistent, our global chatter and friendship means so much to me. So I posted. Then I decided to do the ten minutes of wall pilates I signed up for. Then I felt pretty motivated, so managed to get in a 20-minute Leslie walk before I had to get dressed and out the door for piano lessons.

I had so many cancellations yesterday due to illness that I had a three-hour stretch at one point that I spent at Starbuck’s, enjoying two shots of espresso, and knitting…and thinking. I took with me the papers I used to use to record my weight and studied the various plans I had on them each time a chart filled up and I needed a new page.

And a plan gradually took shape.

1. Exercise is not only important for my body’s strength, it’s part of providing motivation to keep me on the 5:2 straight and narrow. More than that, it makes me feel good!

2. It’s time to pull up my big girl panties and deal with it. I’ve had my head in the sand for a long time, but using MFP or SOMETHING to count calories is absolutely crucial to the success of 5:2. So I’m just going to do it.

3. It occurred to me, based on what I had on my sheets of paper, the plan is simple. I still find WFs entirely doable, and if I am burning about 1500 calories a day, then two WFs and five NFDs mean I’ll be at a deficit each week of 3000–not quite a pound, but not far off. So making sure I stay busy enough that I burn 1600 calories a day means I get to eat 1500 (not 1600, not 1700, not more…that’s where MFP comes in) on five days and lose a pound a week.

And that’s my plan.

@michelinme I’m having fun on DH’s Fair Isle and think of your mom often, and am so sad for her that she can’t knit much anymore.

My cleaning lady is coming in a half hour and my house is still a cluttered mess, making surfaces impossible to clean, so I need to get at it. And then starting around noon, the snow is supposed to fall and we’re slated for 5-9 inches–that’s a lot all at once and far more impressive than the inch at a time we’ve gotten so far this winter.

And that’s my chatter. Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words; they were so lovely to read. And, @matpi, I’m gobsmacked that you found me inspirational since I wasn’t losing weight, and have now gained weight, LOL! But it was kind of you to say.

Okay, must GO! ๐Ÿ’

Day 18 USA/HI NFD 16:8
    Just waking up and decided to do a quick post before I start getting ready to head to be with DH at rehab. He becomes very frightened and actually cries out when they put him in the lift. Hoping if I am there to assist, it can be avoided.
    I will probably not weigh this morning as I want to keep the new low of 163 lb as my current weightโ€ฆ I know it will bounce up and down but not feeling like I want to risk it this morning . lol This is how I entertain myself.

USA. Day 18. FD

@litprof โ€“ FD800
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco

FLUNSHIPFREDDIE, I saw your tiger on the news last night. They only mentioned that it was in Africa but I was quite sure it had to be yours. Sorry to her about him/her.

I have one solution for stopping drinking, although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. I got Covid last Spring and lost my sense of taste. When it finally came, which was only recently, everything seems to taste different and all alcoholic beverages taste terrible. Now I don’t like drinking and haven’t had anything since last May! LOL.

Anyway, I hope all of you a wonderful day! ๐Ÿ™‚

@stitchincarol – good for you, your plan seems great! is it the Leslie Sansone walking one, as I did that today as well! I knit too but the only Fairisle jumper I made was when I first learned to knit and I have not be brave enough to try again!

@funshipfreddie – sad news on Sheba

Day 18 UK FD800

Today has been FULL! And yesterday’s FD800 keto swerved to a keto CD after I stayed up really late to finish writing chapter for deadline. But amazingly this morning I am back down to 168lb where I was last Friday. Hoping that a couple more FD800s will knock off a little more by Weigh Day.

I’ve just had a few hazlenuts and am munching through an appetiser of cucumber sticks with vegan cashew cheese. Going to follow with stirfry supper of pak choi, cabbage, field mushrooms, broccoli, quorn chicken and endamame beans then apple compote with vegan yogurt. Too many veg to be keto but avoiding carbs and under 800 calories

SO glad to have an evening off after a series of very late nights since last Friday. I’m going to enjoy cooking & eating, bathing and being in bed early. Yay for small pleasures and good sleep

@maui thanks for sharing the article. I’ve been pacing and using the spoon theory since 1998 but glad to see it getting a new profile in the washington post

@litprof thanks for sharing your cautionary tale – our minds are our worst enemy!

@maui my heart goes out to you and DH. Take care xxx

@daffodil2010 it sounds delicious – and delighted your motivation is up and results coming

@dramaqueen that’s so true about not actually getting comfort from ‘comfort food’ -and often feeling miserable afterwards

@funshipfreddie the first half of january seems to last about 6 months then the year really speeds up! thanks for all your resource sharing

@missybear you make early, fasted, cold walks sound lovely! And a brilliant idea to read back for what worked for you last time

@northgeorgia yay for accidental FD! Now for the NFD which is strangely much harder You’ve got this – and motivation in your upcoming trip

@stitchincarol I am in awe at your analysis and planning. Go you! I also find you inspirational because you are – you are committed, share your workings and your learnings and are hugely encouraging of others – what’s not to love? Thanks for thinking of my mother; she’s not knitting at all at the moment as she slowly recovers from pleursiy. But otherwise she tries to knit an hour a day, simpler things with beatuiful yarn and gorgeous colours so she can really enjoy the process

@ccco how weird that alcohol tastes horrible after covid! I hope you have recovered otherwise

@brightonbelle @litprof @daffodil2010 it’s really encouraging to have your company on the FD800s

@litprof โ€“ FD800
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle FD800
    @ccco
    @michelinme FD800

Day 18 Thought How are you avoiding the Snack Dragon?

Day 18 Ohio, US — NFD

A two-hour Zoom meeting just concluded, so at the moment I’m fairly wiped out. I’ve started a course of antibiotics for the infection so that also may have contributed to fatigue today. Last night the protein shake seems to have cut down on the 9 pm hungries. With any luck that will develop into a pattern.

@michelinme For many people with chronic fatigue that has lasted years, the practice of carefully parcelling out one’s energy isn’t new. I do think that the metaphor of the spoons is a nice one, especially for explaining to others the decisions we have to make. I wonder if it is being articulated in the press now because so many are dealing with long covid.

@stitchincarol What you do that inspires me is how you walk the walk! In many respects what the scale says is like icing on a cake. But it’s icing and the not the cake itself! Walking the walk is the cake and you really are inspiring with that. And your plan is eminently a wise one!

Hope everyone has had a successful Hump Day!

Day 19 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – FD 800

Weight the same as yesterday and the same as start day Monday, lots of protein and fluids and zero alcohol, exercise as normal.

So I was a bit miffed. I was googling one of those magic weight loss supplements this morning (that can only be bought from the US on line and cost a fortune but are a huge secret as the greedy weight loss and food industry want to shut them down as their magic pill effortlessly shifts weight without you doing ANYTHING)…….I know, I know,……DH gave me a motivational talk telling me we are in this together and to ignore the weight for now and notice the less bloated face and belly etc

Thank God he was there as I was that close to ordering something that would have cost me and wouldn’t work ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

I did nite this morning that the full fat grek style yoghurt I bought (as per one of the recipes in the keto plan) had way more carbs and sugars than proteins, so I need to read labels more carefully. All a learning curve.

Its Day 4, I thought I would see better results but hey ho. I do realise now that my metabolism has slowed way way down, even more since Covid, I am cold a lot of the time, even with the heating on, many layers, and sitting in front of a fire. I must research if there is anything to increase my metabolism and my inner core temperature ๐Ÿ˜”

@stitchincarol…hang in there, you really are inspirational, love your posts.

Happy Thursday.

Day 19 – South Africa ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ – NFD

Good FD yesterday. Weight up again slightly, but still a little under this month’s starting weight.

@stitchincarol – I’m SO glad you decided not to throw in the towel ๐Ÿค—

@missybear – I would love some of that Welsh weather; but just for a day or so โ„๏ธ

@daffodil2010 – those snake oil salespeople are everywhere. There’s a good Zulu word for them – ‘skabengas’. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is ๐Ÿ˜…

@michelinme – I’m avoiding the snack dragon by just not having snacks in the house. Most of the time. My main, occasional snack is raw, unsalted mixed nuts. I enjoy them, but they’re nowhere near as addictive as the roasted/salted variety. And if I do purchase something that’s usually off limits I’ll only buy it in the smallest quantity available.

Gotta dash, have a great day everyone ๐ŸŒค๐ŸŒˆ

Pocket List – Day 19 ๐Ÿฅ•
    @daffodil2010 – FD800

Day 19 Wales ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ FD

Looking at my food plan for today I am wondering how I will get by, itโ€™s even colder than yesterday and my body may scream out for more than I plan to feed it. I will drink plenty of herb/fruit tea for warmth and attempt to keep my mind off food.

@daffodil2010 you may have noticed @brightonbelle and myself express disappointment with the numbers on the scales as keto FD800 hasnโ€™t produced the quick significant drop we hoped for. Iโ€™m just hoping for a delayed response, I do feel less bloated.

Pocket List โ€“ Day 19 ๐Ÿฅ•
    @daffodil2010 โ€“ FD800
    @missybear

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 404 total)

You must be logged in to reply.