Jumbo Oats – Coeliac Substitute?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Jumbo Oats – Coeliac Substitute?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Apricot 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hey Guys,

On to my second day of fasting this week (on Thursday). But as I’m a coeliac I can’t consume jumbo/natural oats (or wheat, rye, barley, malt etc etc)

Is there a substitute I can use, which has the same calorie count? I’ve been googling for help, but no love on the portion/calorie counting side of things.

Cheers,

Bb

You could have a go at rice porridge! No idea how the calories compare.
    When we were kids we would sometimes have left over rice with milk and sugar, like cereal. It was yummy. Even better wit brown rice!

But you can also try congee (I haven’t, but I keep meaning to!). I think it is usually savoury, but that will be even healthier.

You could also try a risotto. Also savoury.

I make a delicious porridge from fresh corn. I cut off the kernels, blend them up with a bit of milk, coconut milk, or a mixture, push it through a sieve and then heat gently until thickened. Serve with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. The original has a little added sugar, but I don’t add any and it is still wonderfully sweet. (No idea the calories for that either!)

Good luck with finding something that suits you.

BBlog, you don’t have to have the oats, they are only a suggestion, you can choose obe of the other meals. However, a good alternative could be buckwheat, which is not a wheat but a small heart shaped seed related distantly to rhubarb. It’s extremely healthy. If you buy it whole you need to soak before cooking. (I’ve an idea this is Kasha, but not sure). Calories are 25 for a heaped tablespoon.

Another good way to have it is as savoury pancakes. (Not on a fast day though). You make up a batter in the usual way but using water not milk, make your pancake then fill it with some nice savoury filling ( my favourite is some grated cheese and a bit of ham, or an egg, filling going on while side two is cooking).

Heres a shortcut to a recipe in the NY Times. In the UK you need to go to a health food shop for Buckwheat. The author here confirms its Kasha.
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017205-kasha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.