January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

This topic contains 598 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  I hate lettuce 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 612 total)

• Welcome to the Rejuvenating January monthly challenge!

The definition of rejuvenation is: “The action or process of making someone or something look or feel better, younger, or more vital”. I feel the first month of the new year is a good time to start that process!

I am happy to be the host of this month’s challenge, and look forward to sharing the journey toward our shared goals of better health and wellbeing with all of you!

I will post the particulars of how to participate in this challenge, the abbreviations we use and a link to some 5:2 basics and FAQs soon. For now, I would like to get this topic started and welcome everyone to this supportive and international forum of fasters and friends!

Hello to everyone!

For all of you that are new to fasting, or to this forum, here is a little background information:

The first monthly challenge was started by @coda in May 2016, and there has been a monthly challenge ever since! The purpose of these challenges is to encourage, inspire and support each other while we strive to lose weight, maintain our weight at goal, or to fast for health benefits.

This is an international group of men and women, and so the format we use to start a post is to begin with the day of the month you are posting, where you are, and whether you are fasting (FD) or having a non fasting day (NFD). Some may want to post that they are having a controlled day (CD – below TDEE) or doing a liquid only fast (LFD) or even two or three FDs in a row (B2B2B). I will copy and post the list of abbreviations we use and their definitions on a separate post.

You are welcome to start at the beginning of the challenge, or whenever it works best for you. But the day will always be the day on the calendar, not whether it is YOUR first day or seventh day that you have fasted. So if it is January 9, 2021, as an example, my post will be:

Day 9 – Minnesota, USA FD

Post as often as you like, but most of us have found that the more often you post, at least daily if possible, the more accountable you are and the more support you receive, which leads to the most success!

You can post more than once a day, of course, and in that case you can just start off with “2nd post” or “Day 9 second post”.

The kind and generous @at has offered to set up the spreadsheet that many here use to track their progress and keep themselves motivated. She will post a link to that soon, I’m sure.

Again, I’m so happy to be sharing this journey with you all! Let’s have a great 2021 together!!!

3rd Post

Here’s the wonderful list of abbreviations used throughout this challenge and added to on an ongoing basis:

16:8: 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF: Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    B2B: Back to Back (days of FD or WFD)
    CFD: Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    DH,DD, DS: Darling Husband Daughter, Son
    EFS: Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days!)
    FD: Fast Day (500 cals)
    Hunger Dragon: that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (eg inner warthog!)
    IF: Intermittent Fasting
    Keto: way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC: Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF: Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LOL: Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM: Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD: Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    NFD: Non Fast Day
    OH: Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD: One meal a Day
    PFDS: post FD smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE: Time Restricted Eating
    WFD: Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WOL: Way of Life

And here is a link to posts that will explain much of the 5:2 WOL (way of life) or WOE (way of eating) and answer most of the questions you may have:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

I look forward to seeing all of you on this forum, old friends and new!

Found you! I’m in for January, @northerndawn. Thanks so much for being our Hostess with the Mostess! 🙂

I’m in for January, and busy thinking through my action goals for the month, and desired results. Thanks for hosting, @northerndawn!

I’m in too. Been busy planning menus.

Count me in too. Raring to go and very motivated. Thanks @northerndawn for hosting.

USA.

Count me in! I love the title. I can use some rejuvenating!

Count me in!! I think I need to start afresh after the past 10+ days. And thanks @northerndawn for hosting.

Please count me in @northerndawn 🙂

Just looked back at my forum replies from 2019, and I last checked in with a weight 10kg less than what I am now, and I thought that was bad at the time…. Seems there was a major Fast-diet train derailment in 2020!

Thank you for guiding us @northerndawn I’ll see you on the 1st

Please count me in for January. Happy new year everybody.

@northerndawn – I’m definitely in for this January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January – needing the motivation 🤗

Here is the link for the spreadsheet – hopefully I have given you all the proper access – let me know

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u9-9iJVc4Xjj9RLAcuCWuk0WUE1ua9ovCw_Wwh-2TEo/edit?usp=sharing

I’m in for January. December was a wipeout, but looking for a rejuvenating January! 🙂

Hi @northerndawn, I’m in too, I’m really looking forward to the next year!

@at Thanks for making the spreadsheet again, I was able to add things so it seems to work well.

@elektron Welcome back!

@northerndawn I need regeneration….count me in please.

I’m in for January and all of 2021!

I’ll go ahead and introduce myself here. I am a 46 year old man who lives in the northern suburbs of Atlanta.

On Jan. 1, 2020, I weighed 276 lbs. When I hit 279 on Jan. 21, I gave up a couple of days later and didn’t weigh-in again until the 28th (278 lbs) and really got upset. So I didn’t weigh-in again on a normal basis until February 23: back at 276 lbs. All of that to say that I likely topped 280 lbs sometime in January/February but didn’t want to face the music. By early May, I was able to get to about 269 lbs doing the traditional dieting stuff, but it was starting to slow and I knew I would start rocketing back up if I didn’t do something different. So, I went online. That’s when I discovered the 5:2 fast on YouTube, and I thought, “I could actually stick to something like this. I wonder if it really works?” I thought — might as well try it! So, I started 5:2 the next day, on May 11.

Officially, I have lost a total of 49 lbs in a year (279 lbs to 230 lbs), and I likely lost a little more than that. I would have never thought that was possible! My hope is to lose another 50 lbs or so this year. Through the plateaus and slowdowns, I’m going to see myself get back to a healthy weight. The support and encouragement in the forums are great, and it really doesn’t take a lot of your time to check-in once a day! I’m hoping all newcomers and longtimers a very successful 2021!

Countdown to January 1, 2021, the first day of Rejuvenating January!

A big “ThankYou! ” to @at for setting up the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u9-9iJVc4Xjj9RLAcuCWuk0WUE1ua9ovCw_Wwh-2TEo/edit?usp=sharing

@at A few more flowers are in order!🌼🌻🍀🌹, so thanks again!

Welcome back to : @at @songbirdme @stitchincarol @northgeorgia (and thanks for introducing yourself….I forgot to put that request in with my original posts), @suki2 (glad to have you back) @daffodil2010 @snowflake56 (glad you are here even if not fasting), @i-hate-lettuce (glad you are here, also, even if trying to increase weight in a healthy way), @basyjames (our next host), @emma-taylor ( our intrepid traveler) @betsylee (hang in there and stay with us) @lilymartin @ccco @missybear @toady @elektron (glad to see you again, after an absence) @brightonbelle

I hope I didn’t miss anyone. Let me know!

I’m very glad to see you all, and I’m sorry I didn’t have time for a comment for everyone. You’ve all become such personalities in my mind, and friends.

Please give as much or as little of an introduction to yourself as you feel comfortable with when you first post on January 1.

Happy New Year’s Eve! “See you” tomorrow! Let’s have a wonderful, wonderful year together!!!

Day 1, Emden Germany, NFD

Happy New Year everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman living in the North of Germany, married, 64 years old, 163 cm/5’4″ tall. My weight was 56 kg/123.5lbs all my adult life until starting a new job in 2011 where my weight crept up to 72.9 kg. I read the book and joined the challenges on and off from March 2017 on. I lost 20 kg very quickly but gained half of it back after retirement in March 2018. I’m in maintenance again, my goal weight is 60 kg/132.3lbs, my weight today is 58.2 kg/128,3 lbs, BMI 21.9.

@northerndawn Thanks for hosting this challenge and your warm welcome.

@missybear Thanks.

@suki2 Welcome back!

I second @northerndawn: ” Let’s have a wonderful, wonderful year together!!!”

Day 1 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone and a happy new year

@northerndawn – Thanks for hosting January, I’ll be here again, although more getting firmly back in the 5:2 WOL and maintenance for a little while.

I’m a 65 year old guy who ‘discovered’ the Monthly challenges in July 2019, I started off at 265 lbs and this morning weighed in at 207 lbs a 58 lb loss altogether.
    I enjoy gardening, baking bread, brewing ale, long walks and generally being in the outdoors. In fact, another ‘Lakelander’ here, just a little further South than AT & Kazoo.

Have lost quite a bit of weight just recently (not in a good way, due to ‘medical procedures’ unfortunately) so will be looking to try and build up and get settled back down into the 5:2 WOL properly once again. For any ‘newbies’ starting up, following the 5:2 WOL really does work, just don’t expect quick results and don’t kid yourself about calorie intake and you will succeed!

Take care all

Day 1 – UK – CD

Happy New Year 🤗

I have to admit I have not been brave enough to step on the scales this morning – OH and I enjoyed a wonderful tasting menu at home last night thanks to one of our local Michelin Star restaurant and OH had got me a bottle of Bollinger to toast the new year; so my idea of an alcohol free NYE went out the window – sadly no willpower…….but it was all wonderful and the champagne certainly was a treat!

So aiming to start this new year with a CD today and a controlled weekend followed by a FD on Monday!

One of my goals this month is to ensure that I do some form of exercise every day – either a hike (10,000+ steps) or an online zoom class or even both depending on the weather! Also aiming for a dryish January by reducing my wine intake – had thought of a Dry January but OH and I have ordered two special meals – one from Rick Stein at Home and the other from our local Michelin Star restaurant during January…….they will need to be accompanied by some nice 🍷🥂

Spoke to DD this morning whilst she was out walking her dog to wish her Happy New Year – then baked a batch of scones for OH – logging on here for a catch up before going out for walk…….hopefully not too icy out there where the snow will have partially melted the frozen overnight……

I reached my goal weight in early December 2016 with the help of these challenges and have remained around 54-56kg/119-123.5lbs and a BMI of 20-21 and I certainly aim to stay there! If I creep above that 56kg mark I take some action to ensure it drops back, hence the need for a more controlled January than December was 🤣

Back to remembering my motto “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – Western Australia – FD

Saw out the year by watching the final sunset at the beach along with many others 🙂

Wishing everyone here a successful and healthy 2021!

Day 1 UK NFD

Reflecting on what has been a very strange year I’m going to try and focus on the positives – I’m around 10lb down on the year which is great and I’ve improved my fitness so I intend to concentrate this year on my health and happiness ( and hopefully lose a few pounds on the way ) Will go for my first FD on Monday Good Luck all looking forward to this months challenge @northerndawn💪

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

Happy New Year, Faster Friends! It’s cold and snowy here in today – typical winter for us.

I am Gwynne, 72-year-old woman, live with my DH(73) in northwestern Illinois, rolling hills, farm and dairy area. I’m a retired school music teacher, still do private piano lessons and church music. Once we are able to meet again, I will sing with our local Choral Society and work at our children’s museum.

I joined @coda in May 2016 for her first challenge. Been on every one since then. I had started 5:2 March 2016 at nearly 200# (90kg) and lost 40# down to 72.5kg by January 2017. It’s been pretty much maintenance since then. At my age, a 25 BMI keeps most of the wrinkles away. I’m a little more than I want to be right now but mainly happy with 6:1 these days. I do Silver Sneakers 3x a week pretty faithfully.

@northerndawn – happy to follow your lead this month. Looking forward to getting to know the newbies too. This is one great forum.

Onward and downward.

Day 1 UK

Greetings everyone. Sorry for not posting much last month but have had health problems.
    I think i am the oldest one on this site, 83 and female.

So glad Dismal December is over. Have had a bad UTI which lasted a week on antibiotics and two flare ups of PMR, the second one was sufficiently bad that I had to increase the dose of prednisolone which messes up my weight but I need it to cope with the pain. Now it’s the long and slow process of trying to reduce the dose again.
    Not sure how to approach weight now. Have decided not to sign up to lists as there seems little point at the moment but I think the best bet is to try to keep to around 1000 calories but can’t start straight away as there are still too many goodies left.

@IHL I made your Christmas cake which was thoroughly enjoyed by all. I did find it was a bit crumbly to cut but that may have been my cooking? Any tips?

In severe lockdown here and waiting to receive notification of vaccine, I should be in the second group because of age but until then staying at home most of the time except for occasional walks.

Have just listened to the New Years Concert from Vienna. Good, but not the same with no audience.

I read all your posts and will pop in from time to time to keep in contact but as for weight not quite sure how to approach it but will see how it goes.

I wish you all a healthy New Year, it surely must be better than 2020.

TTFN

it was a bit crumbly

Day 1 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD
    I’m a 59 yr female. I originally lost my weight on my own with 5:2 back in 2014. Gradually about a stone crept back on. I joined the challenges July 2019 and slowly lost the extra weight. I haven’t weighed myself for a couple of months but I feel some weight has crept back on. Will weigh Monday morning and start in earnest next week.
    Apologies for my absence the last couple of months. Initially I wasn’t in the right headspace. MiL had a fall mid Dec and is still in hospital & Christmas took over. So I really need a rejuvenating January.
    I’ve planned to do some yoga each day and gradually up my exercise again.
    @northerndawn – thanks for leading us this month
    @annabelle48 – sorry to hear about your health problems. It always seems to take longer to heal the older we get.

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in this morning: 232 lbs. I’m going to be in the 220s this month! Somewhere between 227 to 225, maybe LOL! My weight has been bobbing up and down all December, staying the same after my bout with COVID and then the holiday treats, so it’s time for it to decide in January what it’s gonna be. Thinking of a 4:3 instead of a 5:2 starting on Sunday to kick-start the year.

Happy New Year everyone!

Day 1 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Happy New Year everyone.

2021 promises to be a better year with the global rollout of vaccines although the coming months will likely be tough. I am going to work on maintaining a positive attitude with both my weight control and mental health. I will get back to FDs next week after twelfth night…..until then DH and I are enjoying being naughty and relaxing our usually good diet. I am avoiding the scales for now but will be back on the wagon with you all soon xxx

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD perhaps?

Starting on Monday, I’ll know what’s my eating plan, but at this point I’m allowing myself to still be in “vacation mode” even though we’re simply at home. Last night’s dinner with our friends was lovely and I was down a smidge this morning on the scale, so at least it didn’t go higher yet again. I’ve decided that fasting for 19+ hours a day is not the way I want to live my life, so I’m going back to the basic 5:2. The only drawback is that I always find lunch to be a difficult meal because I struggle to find something with the appropriate calories and nutrition, and so often end up with poor nutrition and higher calories than I want. But I’m a grown-up, so I’m going to pull up my big girl pants and cope, LOL!

Here’s my introduction. When I was 22, I got down to 112 lbs (I’m 5’4″, so I was quite skinny) and stayed there for several years. Then when I was 30, I married and gained up to 132 lbs and stayed there until I was 42. Then my husband went to seminary and the move there and the move to his first call as pastor saw me gain weight and eventually get up to 166 lbs. I’ve see-sawed several times in the 14 years we’ve been here, but am currently about 150, having lost 15 pounds since last February. My goal is at least 132, and possibly 125–I’ll figure that out when I get there.

I love to cook and love my beer and wine, so I struggle to cook in a way I enjoy without packing on the pounds. But I prefer how I feel at a thin weight, both in clothing and in my gut. So I’m determined to persist in this journey of getting thin, and to learn along the way how to stay there.

Concurrently, my cholesterol is quite high and my doctor thinks it’s time to start me on statins, but I truly don’t want to do that. So I made him a deal in November that he’d give me six months to get some weight off, and to exercise 30 minutes on at least 5 days a week, and to work at eating in a style that will reduce that high cholesterol number (another number that has see-sawed over the years we’ve been here).

So, I’ve decided to join the Leslie Sansone website and do whatever her walk is on the six days she gives one (she gives Sundays off). That means that some days I will only be walking 15 minutes, but other days will be much longer, and doing a sixth day ought to land me virtuous woman territory, right?

I’ll continue to fast on Mondays and Thursdays.

I’ll continue to aim for 800 calories on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I’ll continue DTF.

The big change is that I WILL COUNT CALORIES ON FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY. (Sorry for yelling, but I’m working hard to make myself commit to this, LOL!) Clearly I’ll be counting calories Monday-Thursday, but I also won’t be cooking much, so those days seem easy to count. On Friday, Saturday and Sundays, my calories are not to exceed 1500.

I cannot bear the idea of committing to this for very long, so I’ll do this without fail through January 23, and then decide how much I’ll continue on for the rest of the month. I toyed with saying January 16, which is only two weeks, but I know I can manage three weeks. Perhaps at that point counting calories will no longer feel so onerous. Perhaps at that point, my results will be so thrilling I’ll be eager to continue. Or perhaps at that point, I’ll be so much in the habit and so much more aware that I’ll be able to continue without much effort at all. Or perhaps I’ll quit counting calories and just maintain. But I can commit to three weeks.

There.

I’m in

I’m in, Christmas was too much for me – too much food, too much chocolate, too much alcohol. Today I begin again. It is my first Fast Day. Here I go. I am 68, weigh 142 lbs, am 5’6” – hoping to see 136 again sometime in the not too distant future.

Day 1 Minnesota, USA CD

Happy New Year to all! Welcome @annabelle48 . It’s good to hear from you. Prednisone does throw a wrench in any plans for weight loss, so I hope you can manage your health by going slow and being gentle with yourself.

Welcome to the forum @nellen, and to the 5:2 WOL! You may find it helpful to read the link I posted earlier that answers the FAQs regarding fasting and this way of eating. And perhaps read the first couple of posts on this thread in order to familiarize yourself with the way we post and the abbreviations we use.

It sounds like the majority of us are still in Holiday and weekend mode until Monday. I know I am. I do plan to stay mindful and controlled until my first FD on Monday.

Today, I am completing my action plans for the month, and for the year, ahead. Planning really is so important to success. Planning FDs, what to eat on those days; planning menus to support controlled eating throughout the week; planning when to exercise and in what manner; and planning ways to reward oneself in healthy ways for a good job done!

Planning helps us visualize our goals, and the steps we can (and must) take toward those goals. It’s the only way to stay mindful. The only way to keep our eyes on the prize.

Tomorrow, I will share my goals for daily, monthly and year long behaviors and activities in order to be accountable.

Enjoy the Holiday!

Day 1 – NSW, AU – NFD

Well not a good start to the year when you end up doing some baking as gifts for friends and end up eating a few yourself! But I know when I get back home, away from the temptations and back into my normal routine I’ll settle back into this. Starting Monday (4th) I’m taking part in a FB fasting group’s “OMAD Challenge” where we have just OMAD for Monday to Friday… Monday will also be the day I put myself on the scales to see what kind of damage these 2 weeks with my mother has done.

Day 2 country west Australia CD
    Very windy day here. Nearly ended up in Antartica last night it blew so much.
    Hi to all the newbies and old friends.
    Like most , I am still in holiday mode but being far more mindful than last year so that’s a good start.
    I found it IS possible to have only 2 cashews. Yes! True story from yesterday!!!!
    @at not sure how you can mention Bollinger and … sorry …😲 in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence. No need to be sorry with Bolly!🥂
    You’ re so lucky to have a Michelin Star restaurant close. Lucky you.
    @elektron, glad to have you back and another Sandgroper on here.😎
    I am a 60+ yo female health professional, always been quite fit and BMI around 25.😇
    The fat fairy deposited a truck tyre around my waist with super glue in 2015/2016. Joined this forum November 2016 and got down to 71 kgs.👌
    Maintained for a while then plateaued BIG time as in months.😔😔
    Threw the toys out of the cot😡, jumped off the wagon and got up to 89 kgs !!!!!!😲😲😲 Not. A. Pretty. Sight.😳
    Started 5:2 in a loose form again in 2020 but decided to get back on the wagon later in 2020 ( apologies to all those I flung off when I got on!!).
    Currently the lowest I have been in 10 months.🤗
    Put on 500gms over the past 2 days but have lost 2 cms from my waist so able to breathe again when I put on my jeans which is a plus. 😅
    Looking forward to a sensible year of 5:2 and posting daily if possible and crunching numbers ( calories) on MFP to keep me on track.
    @stitchincarol, I positively loathe calorie counting😡 and it is only something I started when I joined this forum to work out portion sizes, trying to keep to TDEE and under 500 calories on FDs.
    Found out I had been woefully inaccurate in guesstimating what I had actually been eating. 🤔Typical of many – underestimating intake, overestimating calories used …. …..plus being more sedentary…… plus menopause….hence the weight gain……yada …..yada….yada….
    I weigh daily and record weekly on a Saturday.
    My weight loss chart looks like the Swiss Alps with Mt Everest featuring pretty prominently through the past 2 years!!!🏔⛰
    Would like to lose 20 kgs this year if possible but baby steps.
    “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.”
    ” Delay don’t deny” and @at‘s quote about being back where I started are mantras I keep in my head.
    Although weight loss is one of the goals I am aiming for, I found in 2016 and more so now that I am 4 years older!!, that the health benefits of 5:2 are also important.
    Hope 2021 is a successful healthy year for all.🤞

Day 2 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

A clear, bright and cold morning this morning, the sun is creeping up and the clouds are under-lit and glowing, so looks like a day for a longer walk.
    Regaining strength and recent muscle loss, eating is getting so much better and easier, with the exception of anything very acidic or anything really hard or crispy ie nuts or cracker type biscuits, doing well.

@annabelle48 – re Christmas cake, it is quite a moist cake, so it could have been one or two things?
    If it was dry and crumbly, it could have been how it was stored, Mrs IHL made ours in October if I remember, once made it was double wrapped in foil and kept in an airtight container, every 2 weeks it was ‘fed’ with a spoon of dark rum over the top.
    If it was soft and crumbly, allow the fruit to soak longer before making, or a little less liquid in the mix and ease up on the ‘feeding’. Hope that helps, we’ve just finished ours yesterday, it was quite soft and crumbly to cut, but, with so much fruit etc was delicious!

@lilymartin – BMI, I’ve finally got mine below 30, next thing is keeping it there! I’m another who has been a poor ‘guesstimator’ so I tend rely on MFP app diary and no kidding myself, except for my Friday off (and Christmas Holidays) 😉

Take care all

Day 2 -Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

I gingerly stood on the scales with one eye shut this morning, but damage not so bad, just up half a kilo…..so here’s to 2021 when I remove that extra Covid/menopause weight gain.

Starting in earnest on Monday once Holiday mode is over. We are in very tight restrictions here so can only exercise within 5km of our home so although I would love a walk on a windswept beach this morning it’s not officially allowed. Oh well.

Stay safe everyone

Day 2, London, UK, NFD

Happy New Year everyone!!! Phew, I’m glad to be back, my weight is where it was in Dec 2019, I’ve truly hurled myself off of the wagon recently, so I’ve totally written off last year, especially since nothing noteworthy happened since the end of 2019 (😷😨😱😭) ……………did it? So, as far as I’m concerned ……………………… saying we went from 2019 straight into 2021 works for me!!!😜

I’m with the majority of posters here, I’ll start properly on Monday since it’s gonna take some serious willpower to get back into truly fasting 😳 (I was only kidding myself!!), ditching the vino🍷 (again …………………………. I was only kidding myself!!) and admitting that those jeans did NOT shrink in the wash and that top button was NOT designed to withstand the pressure I’m currently putting it under😜!!!! Clearly, I’ve spent a LOT of time kidding myself!!!
    I’ll spend the next 2 days slowly, slowly easing myself back into it and getting rid of the vast, ginormous excessive quantities of food I have left over, my holiday guest-list was cut by 70% due to you know what, so wherever possible, the freezer is going to be working overtime!!!!

Oh @lilymartin, it may have been me you nudged off of the wagon! I had hoped that fat fairy had lost my address even after I specifically directed her to my numerous skinny friends😂 (joking………….. no, really!), but no, she visited, outstayed her welcome AND she left only after welding the tyre you deflated to MY waist😢!!! I’m begging for some of your mojo!!!

@daffodil2010, I’m with you on focussing on getting rid of the menopause/covid addition I’ve recently acquired!!! I realise that you really have to get your a*se back on the wagon as soon as you fall off otherwise you’re on a slippery slope to obesity and it’s a hell of a climb back up to the road let alone getting onto the actual wagon!!!!

I didn’t get this nickname of 40+ years ‘cause of my love of cucumbers!!! The cycle is indeed vicious as once the carb dragon awakens, getting him sedated and keeping him that way is soooooooo hard!!!! Avoiding ‘those’ things (pasta, bread, rice & potatoes) was the game changer for me, ‘everything in moderation’ just doesn’t work in my case, so it’s back on the wagon, and buckling myself into to carb free section ………………………………. I see myself donating some carbs to those skinny friends, not the vino though, let’s not go crazy!!!

Daily posting, daily weighing, daily walking no less than 10k steps, daily 3L water (happy abused kidneys!!) and a daily resolution to be positive, love myself💜 and NOT focus on what could have been!!!!

Keep the faith & stay strong folks 💪💕!!!!

Day 2
    Country – USA
    City – DC (yes, it’s exhausting!)
    Fasted yesterday and truly feel better already. Needed the emergency brake to regain control after an extended Christmas. Looking back, it seems to be the case each year – Christmas brings joy and laughter and family and unending food and drink. So, happy to be back on track.
    Here’s to 2021. May we all get to see the outdoors soon.

Day 2 – UK – CD

Yesterday was definitely not a CD and even ended up well above TDEE 👿 I blame it on the remaining champagne from the day before that had to be finished – could not waste it 😈
    Must try harder today 🤞 as I have to find my fasting mojo by Monday……..On the plus side I did go out for an 11km hike/14634steps 😇

Did a Broga Class this morning whilst OH was out for a run – cold and icy out there!!! Luckily our Broga teacher sent us a link for a pre-recorded class as a thank you and to help us start the year as we mean to go on – live zoom classes restart on Monday 4th!

@elektron – welcome back – nice to have your company once more 🤗
    @brightonbelle – congratulations on being 10lbs down in 2020 – way to go!
    @songbirdme – I think a few of us maintainers are “a little more than I want to be right now ” so definitely need to nip that little uprise in the bud this month!!!
    @annabelle48 – sorry to hear that you had some health issues last month 🤗 wondered why we had not heard much from you. You say that you’re not sure how to approach weight now – can I suggest that you go back to basics but perhaps of doing your 2 x FD500 you aim for 2 x FD800 – might be easier to stick to especially if you have to take medication. Re your issue with the cake – mine was the opposite more pudding like than cake but tasted fabulous – thankfully all gone now!
    @suki2 – nice to have you back too – sorry to hear about your MIL – sending healing vibes her way
    @missybear – you are not the only one avoiding the scale for now 🤣
    @stitchincarol – good job on that 15lbs loss in the last year – I’m with you in going back to basics this month
    @nellen – welcome on board – these monthly challenges offer great motivation
    @lilymartin – another with a positive outcome for 2020 ” lowest I have been in 10 months” well done you!
    Your post made me smile 😊 so many home truths there for a lot of us!!
    @i-hate-lettuce – So good to hear of your health improvements 🤗
    @daffodil2010 – I suspect that Monday Pocket List will be a big one!!!!
    @flourbaby – In view that your weight is what it was a year ago – be positive and think of 2020 as a maintenance year – and now it’s time to make moves to step of that long plateau. I’m like you in trying to ditch the 🍷🥂…..not really going to happen…………but working on reducing intake this month and getting back to increasing water intake back to a minimum of 2L

The sun is now shining out there so going to brave the cold and go for a walk

“JANUARY,
    The first month of the year,
    A perfect time to start all over again,
    Changing energies and deserting old moods,
    New beginnings, new attitudes.”
    ―Charmaine J. Forde

Day 2 – USA/GA – NFD

Hoping to start my FD tomorrow; today’s weigh-in was actually a little less: 231 lbs. Maybe our Southern tradition of eating Black-eyed peas and cornbread on New Year’s Day had some extra fiber that reduced my meal sizes yesterday!

A few more holiday leftovers, but nothing horrible: I’ll probably fix myself a chicken (finger leftover) fajita today.

Day 2 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD800

I was planning to wait until Monday for my first FD of 2021, but decided yesterday that I needed–and wanted–a head start, so today it is. although 800, not 500. I got some turkey thighs at the grocery store a few days ago, so I’ll roast them and have some steamed veggies and leftover rice from NYE and a beer, and that’ll be close; I’ll actually count the calories, however, since that’s my plan for three weeks. 😇

@annabelle48 So sorry to hear about all the health issues you’ve been having; I hope and pray 2021 sees an improvement for you!

@suki2 Welcome back!! I’m so sorry that your MIL is still in the hospital; does she get to come home soon?

@missybear I adore your plan to celebrate until 12th night! I leave up my Christmas decorations until then, and wish everyone the appropriate day each day during the 12 days–as in, Happy 9th day of Christmas! 🎄

@nellen Welcome! I dream of the day I only need to lose 6 pounds to be at my ideal weight! 💖✔💪 I hope it comes off reasonably easily for you!

@toady If you’re like me, you won’t like the scales, but you were doing such a stellar job that you’ll soon manage to return to it, I’m certain!

@lilymartin This made me and DH laugh: “Nearly ended up in Antarctica last night it blew so much.” Too funny! And very, very admirable about two cashews. Not behavior I’ve been engaging in, trust me!! 😂🤣😂

@daffodil2010 Well done to have gained so very little! As to walking on a “windswept beach,” I grew up on the west coast, just six blocks from the ocean, and your description made me feel and smell that ocean beach walk; thanks for the lovely phrasing!

@flourbaby You are so very funny! Thanks for the giggles, chuckles, and out-loud laughter at your post!

@at thanks for sharing your wobbles in your maintenance journey; it’s so encouraging to hear that it doesn’t come automatically, and sometimes not even easily, to those who are already thin. I mean, I KNOW it’s not automatic and easy for anyone, but those of you who are already in maintenance sound so confident and peaceful that it can be easy to slide into the thoughts of “Well, it’s easy for @at, but it’s much more difficult for me!” So the reminder that this is normal to have some weight gain following the holidays, and that the answer is not to give up but to get back on the wagon…priceless.

There’s a heavy fog outside this morning which gave us some hoarfrost again…it’s so lovely. But it also means that there’s ice, so I’m content to leave the loveliness viewed from inside. I walked with Leslie this morning, and will again starting Monday. I’m nearly back to my pre-Christmas-confidence and will-power, and am hoping it’ll roar back on Monday morning!

Day 2, Emden Germany, NFD

USA. Day 2. FD

Today will be my first FD of the new year! Also, I intend to do DTF (or more) because I find that I lose weight more easily when I don’t drink alcohol. I wish you all a ver good new year!

2nd post

My friend just sent me something for music- or comic-lovers. I hope the link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6T5Cu4KiN4

Day 2 USA (Illinois) FD

Since I haven’t done an honest 500 FD since right before Christmas, I am getting one in today. Did a couple 800-1000 days lately are all. In honor of our recent ice storm and cold, I did simmer up some gluhwein yesterday for sipping and supper. Very nice and homey. Our first Christmas married was in Germany (DH in US Army), and we discovered gluehwein at the Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg – fell in love with that winter warm-up.

We are watching collegiate sports a lot – Big10 football is doing well and our ILLINI basketball team is excellent and fun to watch.

@suki2 – no need to apologize for anything. We’re here for you and know we will be around for support. This forum of challenges does seem to be indestructible.

@northgeorgia – your resolve is great. I just know you will reach your goal.

@stitchincarol – I like your strategy with your doctor re: cholesterol levels. My GP had me begin fish oil (before my 40 lb. weight loss) to help with elevated cholesterol. It did work, but then again so did my losses. I still take a MegaRed Krill Oil a day.

Counting calories is MUCH better for me with MyFitnessPal. I am amazed how much I actually enjoy putting in my daily intake. I use the free version (it’s on my phone and tablet/synced) and do not enter exercise as it skews the numbers. I’ve now been entering for several years.

@nellen – welcome to our little band. You will find this group much more supportive IMHO than most anyone in D.C. 🙂

@toady – how kind of you to have home-baked items as gifts. Always appreciated.

@lilymartin – you had me chuckling at your “fat fairy” comment. Don’t we all just know what you mean?!

@daffodil2010 – so sorry your restrictions are so stringent to keep you from your beach walks. May this all vanish quickly with the vaccine.

Onward and downward.

Day 2 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD Great yoga class this morning followed by a dog walk.
    Our yoga theme for this month is stress management, so today we were letting go of 2020 and behaviours that no longer serve us.
    Starting properly on Monday but trying to be more mindful over the weekend.
    MiL hopefully will be out of hospital soon. We’re not sure home will be the best place. It seems she can no longer bear her own weight. This might be due to the delirium, her not really understanding what was being asked. We’re waiting on the hospital to give us an assessment of her abilities and needs and what support can be provided for her.
    In addition DH is no longer allowed to go to see her due to Covid.

Day 2 OMAD London

Happy new year everyone. We went to Hampstead Heath for a walk today to blow away some cobwebs. But it was very busy and very muddy. I hate mud! We managed nearly 22,000 steps on some steep hills but DH has knee issues and was very cronky by the end.
    I’m reading ‘Alcohol lied to me’ in the hope it will help me stop drinking again. That is what stalls me. I’ll let you know how I get on.
    Don’t know if this is useful but it’s works for me. I saw a girl on a video for intermittent fasting day that she only says nice things to herself, and never criticises herself. I do that now and it really makes you feel good. When I look in the mirror I say to myself ‘ you look great’ or ‘ your hair is lovely’ or something. No bad talk. It really improves your mood. Mad? Dunno.

Say. Not day.

Well I just goofed. I thought I was posting and instead managed to unsubscribe. Oh boy.
    Here’s what I was trying to say.
    I have decided to have a dry January. Somehow for me, saying no alcohol for a designated period fits in to what works for me, just like the fast days on 5:2. I know when the period is over I can imbibe again. Cutting out alcohol for a period of time will help me get rid of my Christmas gain quicker. And I’m all for that.
    This is just my approach.
    I’ll let you know if I really last all January. :)))))

Day 2 Minnesota, USA – CD

Hello to all! It is about 7:30 pm as I type, but I’m sure it’ll be later before I submit. Anyway, I had no food until after 4pm my time, so that has helped to keep controlled.

I am late here because I spent the day cooking beef briskets, which I have never done before. Big learning curve! I thought I had things well planned out before I went to bed last night. But, not enough. The plan was to cut the whole “packer” brisket in half (funny story….neither my DH or I actually looked up how to do that into the “Point” and Flat” until we had done it 😝Did OK though). Then the rub, with barely enough ingredients on hand. The BBQ sauce and luckily all the ingredients on hand and went well. The cook times were confusing….such different times to cook depending on method. I divided the two parts into : first, my new Le Creuset oval Dutch oven for the first attempt, and then (later tonight after sitting with the dry rub for twelve hours) the crock pot slow cooker. What a learning experience! The first – the oven slow roasted, turned out great! I guess we will see about the “point” cut from the crock pot, which I’ll put in tonight before bedtime with non – spicy BBQ for the little granddaughters to try tomorrow as sliders. At our backyard socially distanced patio time. Should be over freezing by a bit. Fingers crossed and heaters on.

@toady It is really hard to fast and be mindful when you aren’t at home, and especially in a “Holiday” situation. I believe you will do fine once you are back in your own environment. And here is hoping the weird guy is gone from your apartment! That should help, a lot!
    @stitchincarol It sounds like you have a good plan going forward. Sticking to it is the challenge, isn’t it? And why don’t we? Two days a week to stay under 800, or 5-600 should be doable. It was easy for me 4 years ago. I think I psych myself out these days, somehow. I am also with you on not wanting to take statins. My total cholesterol is high these days, but my HDL (good) has been high so my overall ratio has been great. Also, the triglycerides have been low and some think that is the most important issue, especially for women. My young female doctor has no problem with my numbers as long as HDL stays high and triglycerides stay low. And: I. Will. Count. Calories! I always use to. I think it’s been part of my problem with not losing, lately, not counting calories. There is no excuse for me: if losing weight is important enough then I can find the time!
    @lilymartin Your posts make me laugh and smile! And there is a lot of shared truth in them for women our age. I can’t have cashews in the house just now. I have no control.
    @i-hate-lettuce It is so good to hear you sounding like things are getting back to “better” if not quite yet normal. Hugs! xx
    @daffodil2010 See you Monday on the lists!
    @flourbaby Welcome back to the challenges, and I’m with you on ditching Vino, for all but one day a week, “Let’s not go crazy”…..But it is such a sabotage to losing weight! Empty calories; and then it encourages carb cravings….even next day (or especially next day, for me). It seems a no brainer that we can enjoy better foods for less calories and denser nutrition, instead. Still…..it’s not easy because of those reward centers in our brains tending to want to be ….rewarded! LOL.
    @nellen Good job on a fast that has already made you feel better! And I do agree that swerving the alcohol is HUGE in the effort to lose weight. Think “Beer Bellies” and we all know what that means. And there is a reason for that.
    @at Lovely and inspiring post as usual…thank you, especially since i often get on this forum late, and you send out messages of encouragement and cheer (like others do as well, of course…all appreciated) to everyone!
    @northgeorgia You will do it! You will get under 230 this month! Who knows, maybe even by a lot, a whoosh, if you stay the course! Wouldn’t that be great?
    @snowflake56 Just a quick hello, and hoping you are doing okay with the absence of your beloved furry friend! xx and hugs
    @ccco I hope it was a good FD! Yes, I agree that weight loss is much easier without alcohol!
    @songbirdme I hope your ice storm wasn’t too awful! I did wonder about you and hopes for the best. As for sports….I don’t know why, but I have just kind of lost interest this year. I’m glad your Illini are doing well. As for pro’s, I’m back to saying I’ll cheer for the Packers or the Bears these days. The vikings are hopeless.
    @suki2 See you on Monday, and one of my goals this month and year, is to do 10 minutes of yoga (at least) 3 times a week and 20 -30 min 4 times a week. Best of luck with finding the right care for your MIL. I’ve been there, and it’s a very difficult road for everyone. Hugs and prayers. Terrible, though, that she must be without family support. Couldn’t they garb him up once every couple weeks, or so? Some places will do that.
    @emma-taylor 22,000 steps!!! Wow! I am in awe. And you just had surgery for varicose veins! So, now, I’m also quite humbled and feel chastened due to my very much less exercise! Also:
    *Positive self talk has to be the best way forward! Think of all the terribly negative things we all say to ourselves; and isn’t that also skewed and “Mad” or delusional? Why not say lovely things to ourselves, and be our own best friends? Such a good point you’ve made.

See you all tomorrow. It’s soon time to make the non-spicy BBQ sauce, take the rubbed brisket out of the fridge for a while, and then stick all in the crock pot!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply.