January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
January 2021 Challenge – Rejuvenating January

This topic contains 598 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  I hate lettuce 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 612 total)

• 2nd Post

I thought I’d copy and post the link to the spreadsheet that @at did for us, so it would be easy to find……..top of the second page.

A big “ThankYou! ” to @at for setting up the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u9-9iJVc4Xjj9RLAcuCWuk0WUE1ua9ovCw_Wwh-2TEo/edit?usp=sharing

Day 2 – NSW, AU – NFD

Yeah, not a good start to the year, but Monday will be back on the wagon for sure!! Had hoped to get on the road in the afternoon and camp overnight half way, but the weather had other ideas… poured down rain until nearly 4pm… so leaving in the morning and hoping for a good run.

Day 3 CD country West Australia
    As some have already mentioned when I cut out the booze I lose weight more quickly.
    I do sometimes like a cold smooth glass of white with a meal. But I heard a talk pre-Christmas and as with portion sizes many of us imbibe a lot more than we think we are.
    A standard wine is a mere 100 mls!!!
    So why do they have such massive glasses to only put a splash in??
    Then followed another talk about how booze is directly linked with 47 different types of cancer.
    Was enough for me to put the brakes on my boozing ATM.
    I have upped the ante with exercises and water consumption bothy of which seem too be helping with maintaining a good 5:2 regime.
    Onward nd downward.

Day 3, Emden Germany, NFD

@northerndawn I’m fine, it takes time to get used to this new situation. I never noticed, how long and quiet a day can be when you’re alone in the house. I liked reading about your brisket cooking. We’ve read about brisket but they don’t sell it overhere. My husband wanted to ask the butcher about it when he’s going there next time.

Day 3 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

One of my ‘back to normal’ habits is getting routine again, sat here with morning coffee again and catching up on posts!

@stitchincarol@songbirdme – I’m another one who uses MFP app and counts the calories, find after a while it seems to take less time with ‘frequently used items’ coming up on the list. I used to just write calories down for each meal, but then it was just a list of numbers so things got missed, MFP tends to be more accurate for me.
    Been hilarious recently when trying to put some weight back on, the figures were ridiculously high, but now getting back into my stride again and maintenance I feel is going to be easy… at the moment 😉

@northerndawn – Slow cooking, we are big fans of long slow cooking, especially during winter. Well worth the efforts and works well with so many different cuts of meat, beef/pork/lamb even chicken, although chicken can be quite amusing when you try and lift it out onto a plate and you try to get a leg and all you get is the bone, its so soft and succulent.

Waiting for the early frost to thaw a bit, have to go out for hospital appointment today, on a Sunday! At least the roads should be quiet.

Take care all

Day 3 OMAD London

@northerndawn, your brisket sounds lovely. My MIL used to make it and serve it cold with home made pickled onion. Not very sociable but tasted lovely. I really miss her. And I like the sound of your le creuset Dutch Oven. I had a look at them last time someone mentioned one ( was it you?) and put one on my Amazon wish list. I might treat myself as a reward for cutting out alcohol. Any excuse!

Day 3 – Sweden – FD – 4:3

I’m in aswell for January! I failed to post regularly in December so here I go with a new attempt! 🙂 This is my first FD in 2021 and I’m kind of excited. I had a real binge day yesterday so today will be a full 40h fast until lunch time tomorrow. Plenty of fluids and coffe should get me through it.

Day 3 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD
    @northerndawn – thanks for the ‘hugs’ it’s a hard time. Re garbing DH up, I’m not sure they would as she’s not at ‘deaths door’; she’s just old and frail. Because she has had delirium it’s hard to know what’s going on in her mind. I just hope she doesn’t feel abandoned.

Will be taking down our decorations over the next few days. I get to the point where I can’t stand it anymore. I think it’s because it still feels like holiday when there is sparkle around.

I’m starting to monitor my water intake again this month. Its always less in the colder months.

@ihatelettuce – I also use MFP. I like to plan for the week, then I can see if there is any wiggle room.

@EmmaTaylor – I like the idea of saying something nice to myself.

Day 3 – UK – ?CD

Yesterday after my lunchtime recorded Broga class I felt really energised and went out for a brisk 8km walking at a pace of 9.25min/km then took down the Christmas Tree and all the decorations and ready for a fresh start! Best of all the day turned into an incidental FD800 – unplanned FDs are always the best I think 😊

@snowflake56 – thank you for that link – brought a smile to my face
    @songbirdme – looking back I did not manage any FD500 in December 🤭 but at least I manage several FD800 so will take that!
    @suki2 – I have a 2hr zoom yoga workshop to look forward to this afternoon and the plan is to enjoy a twisty Yoga practice releasing any held tension in the body, snuggle down for a restorative pillow hugging practice, and release further with a Yoga Nidra designed to let our intentions for the year ahead really start to take shape – really looking forward to that 🙏
    @northerndawn – thank you for your kind words 🤗
    @zenga – I find daily posting really helpful in keeping me mindful of how much I’m eating/drinking…..

I leave you all with a lovely message sent by my yoga teacher for the workshop this afternoon
    “Let’s start the new year with positivity, self care, a deepening of awareness of ourselves, and self love.
    You can’t pour from an empty cup.”

Day 3 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD 2nd post

@at sounds lovely. Enjoy
    One good thing to come out of Covid, for me, is the Zoom yoga classes. I have a relaxation class from last month I will repeat later. I think self-care is so important.

Day 3 – Washington DC, USA, NFD
    Tomorrow will be my second FD. In some odd way looking forward to it.
    @at – I love your yoga instructors message – we all should keep that front and center. Also, on my FDs while my goal is 500 calories I often, and without any upset, go over a bit – maybe 580 or even 600. Honestly, I don’t think that makes any difference and if it helps stay on course, by all means – just go over a bit. It makes it easier to handle. I also think that limiting the hours of intake make a big difference. So for me, I just need a hard stop – otherwise I would probably be eating in my sleep. :)))))

Day 2 – Western Australia – OMAD/CD
    Day 3 – NFD – Weekly weigh in: 77.5kg

@northerndawn Ah yes, planning! That is something I failed to do properly last time. I kept thinking “oh I’ve got this” without established goals/targets along the way and… whoops!
    @lilymartin *highfive* WA all the way!

I’m with the Monday starters 🙂 Bring. It. ON!

Day 3 – USA/GA – FD

Here we go, FD number 72, the first one of 2021! Time to obliterate December’s neverending plateau. I’m hoping for a whoosh this month into the 220s!

I need some company so forgive me for adding you if you didn’t want to be added today; but we’re the brave ones to start out the new year haha!

Pocket list Day 3

@Emma_Taylor (OMAD)
    @zenga
    @at (CD-maybe)
    @northgeorgia

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Day 3 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday’s true 450 calorie FD was very good. Other than the fact I didn’t move a whole lot (sat far too much) but at least also did not eat. Our driveway is still quite icy – salt didn’t accomplish much melting – so didn’t go out. Supper was a chicken with black bean chile that was pretty tasty. I had a chunk of Gouda cheese that I did not use over Christmas and had it with the chile, just a few crackers too.

@northerndawn – Packers vs. Bears today. I think Aaron R. has this season in his hip pocket.

Church shortly. Onward and downward.

Day 3 Canada FD

I fell off the wagon last month and am keen to get the new weight that I gained as fast as possible so first FD of the month for me today. I have eaten so much over the holidays it shouldn’t be a problem. Going to be calorie counting with MFP to keep things honest and skipping the wine most days.

Off for a ski with a couple of friends today, our restrictions are still in place so this is about the only social interaction I have. The sun is shining which it hasn’t done for days so I am looking forward to it.

@songbirdme take care on that slippery driveway
    @northgeorgia a whoosh would be wonderful
    @at thank you for sharing your yoga teachers message, very timely as a focus for me
    @i-hate-lettuce I am so glad you are finding your way back to normal life
    @snowflake56 hugs to you
    @lilymartin I woke up this morning thinking about how much alcohol increases cancer risk, a bit weird, then I read your post. Definitely cutting way back!!

Pocket list Day 3

@Emma_Taylor (OMAD)
    @zenga
    @at (CD-maybe)
    @northgeorgia
    @bellyblast

ZBC
    @northgeorgia

Thanks for hosting us this month @northerndawn and a belated thanks to @at for hosting in December. Take care everyone, I am so glad to be back:)

USA. Day 3. NFD

Just popping in for accountability! Have a great day, everyone!

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s FD wasn’t. Too many temptations, too little will-power. Today/Sundays are never a FD, so tomorrow will be the big day for me. Hopefully all that mojo I had before will finally be back in full force.

@snowflake56 DH and DS24 and I just watched the video you posted; it was so fun and made us all laugh out loud!

@songbirdme Here’s why I hate counting calories, as an example. I made Caramelized Carrot Risotto for our NYE dinner party. I followed the recipe fairly closely, so know that I could get close to inputting the exact ingredients I used, but there was no way I was able to measure a total of how much it made; I was too busy serving it. So when we had leftovers last night, how do I even begin to figure out how many calories were in that cup or so that I had? Counting calories is easy enough when you are eating prepackaged food, or when you’re eating straight foods, not recipes. But for lovely recipes? Oh, so much fussing. So I tend to guestimate, and that’s when I run into problems because I’m sure I’m under-guestimating.

@suki2 Oh, such a complete shame that your MIL can’t even have her son come visit. I get the issues with Covid, but I also get the issues with lonely people who NEED to see those they love. Our 92yo neighbor got taken to the hospital last week and it was discovered she has Covid. She was doing reasonably well at home, but is sliding into confusion at the hospital and hates, hates being there. Thankfully, she seems to be getting better, so everyone is praying hard she’s able to recover and go home again. This is exactly the story so many have experienced with their elderly friends and family, isn’t it?

@northerndawn I love a good barbecued brisket, and loved reading your account of preparing yours!

Okay, I’m giving up trying to respond to more people individually; DS24 and DH keep talking and I look up from my laptop to be part of the conversation, and it’s finally proving too difficult to converse with you on the forum, and them in my living room, and keep the conversations straight, LOL!

Have a grand day, everyone, and I look forward to seeing many of you on the lists tomorrow!

Day 3 – NSW, AU – NFD

The sticky date muffins and fruit mince pies I ate during my drive home ruined my plans for a CFD, but back on the wagon tonight – OMAD challenge starts with my fasting period, just what to have for my lunch!?

Day 3 – Minnesota, USA NFD

It was a lovely and sunny afternoon, with a couple of hours spent with DD and her family on the patio. That is a sunny southern exposure, so it felt much warmer than the 34 F (1.1 C). The little girls made snowmen and we all had a friendly snowball fight.

Update on the beef brisket: The “flat” that was done over 4-5 hours, slowly, in the oven in the oval Le Creuset Dutch oven was wonderful. Excellent texture and flavor. The “point” cut done in the crock pot/slow cooker overnight was okay. Very tender but extremely fatty…even for us who like a bit of fat. After it’s cooked it does go in the oven for awhile to crisp it, and brush some of the pan drippings and BBQ sauce over it to caramelize. It was difficult to separate meat and fat. It shows the difference in the two cuts, for sure. We really prefer the flat piece done in the Dutch oven. I think it holds the moisture and flavor in a little better as the lid is so tight fitting and the heat comes as much from the lid as the bottom or sides.

@zenga and @bellyblast It’s good to have you back with us!
    @songbirdme I’m watching the Packers and Bears as I type……I agree with you….Aaron R has it in the bag! Perfect first half….if only he played for the Vikings!
    @emma-taylor I have a round Le Creuset (5.5 quarts) and now this oval one (6.6 quarts?) and love them. You would, too. I love the “stove top to oven one pan cleanup”. And the flavors. The oval is coming in very handy for poultry and larger oblong cuts of meat.
    @i-hate-lettuce I love doing chicken in the crock pot! Throw it in with some vegetables or broth, alone, and leave it..No fuss and so moist!

I’m wondering if all of you who use MFP to count calories use the free app? I use to use the calorie counter on my fitbit app but no longer have a fitbit. I have an Apple watch now. So, I need a good calorie counter. I have MFP, the free one, on my iPhone but haven’t gotten the hang of it, yet. I guess like all things it might take a bit of effort on my part. 😉

@stitchincarol I use to look up small amounts of various recipe ingredients on http://www.fatsecret.com and then add them to the fitbit column for custom foods. I did that on the laptop but I think they also have an app now.

@suki2 and @at I’m going to pack up all the Christmas decorations also, and starting tomorrow- give the house a good, week-long cleaning to start fresh and bring in the new year.

@nellen I don’t think it makes any difference at all whether a FD is 500 one day and then 600 another. In fact, if you get too worried about precise calories instead of the general “ball park” figures, it becomes an undermining focus, I think.

Good luck to all of you first fasters, today. See you all tomorrow on all the lists: FD500, ZBC, DTF, Exercise x 20-30 minutes.

Second Post:

Just wanted to share a post I came across while perusing the forum for “active topics”

It was a reply to the poster @maryoliv under the topic “I Am Very Confused” by @mr-data

He says he has followed 5:2 as originally prescribed for men at 600 cals on a FD, two nonconsecutive FDs a week, and has done so for almost 8 years now.

I think It goes to show that 5:2 works, and you don’t have to get too complicated about it.

Click on his name, @mr-data and then when his page comes up, click on the left side where it says “Replies created”, and you will find his encouraging posts. Also, a topic he started years ago with annual updates about being on 5:2 over 5 years (at that time).

Thanks to him for posting on the forum to inspire and motivate everyone!

@stitchincarol – I understand your misgivings about calories. I just put in your risotto dish in the MFP and it does give some choices for calories, size of portion, etc. My fave feature of MFP is the recipes I make all the time (I think I have 8-10 entered) and can call them up fast. I don’t try to get EXACT amounts of portions (that’s about impossible) but at least it gives me a ball-park figure of what the calories are of an item or dish.

Hi all, I’m new here, and excited to join the January challenge! I’m part of the Aussie contingent, 51 years old and over the last couple of years have watched my weight creep up from its lifelong 50-52k (110-115 lb) range to 57.5k (127 lb) today. Eep!

I am hoping the IF and FDs lifestyle will help those extra 5k disappear! My usual strategies seem to have stopped working, amd I have been gaining and losing the same 2k for the last six months.

Glad to join you all.

Day 4 country west Australia FD
    sounds like quite an active forum for January so that is a good start to the year.
    I use the free version of MFP which I find quite useful especially once you put in your favourites or frequently used items.
    I never counted calories before joining this forum in 2016, as mentioned previously, but found I needed to to keep me on track. It was a real eye opener to see how much I was actually consuming. 😲😲😳
    With recipes I tend to choose the most calorific option on MFP at present which helps keep me on track and more mindful of choices later in the day.
    Here am I trying for a FD and @northerndawn mentioned her delicious sounding brisket; @toady has mentioned sticky date muffins and fruit mince pies and @stichincarol has me drooling over her caramelised risotto……It’s only 9 am and I think it’s going to be a loooooong day!
    Have a good day all.
    Just off to drink gallons of water to drown the hunger dragons which have been awakened!!

@litprof – welcome to you! Aussie contingents are always welcome, indeed. Many of us found IF after other avenues of weight loss failed to be successful. You will soon recognize this to be a very supportive contingent!

Day 4, Emden Germany, NFD

I love slow cooking in Le Creuset and Cousance (now Le Creuset) pans. I like the smell from things cooked for a long time, like boeuf bourguignon, ossobuco or oxtail. I always use the large oval Cousance to make soup, my husband likes to make them in the pressure cooker. He uses a small round Le Creuset pan for making popcorn, it works really well. I’ve never seen or used a crock pot but reading about it, I don’t think we need it.

@at and @stitchincarol Watching it, cheers you up, doesn’t it?

@bellyblast Thanks, it will get better.

@litprof Welcome! You do have an interesting handle.

Good luck to all today’s fasters!

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD
    1st FD of 2021 💃

Looking forward to getting back on track. Going to have plant based meals during the week, a daily green vegetable juice, DTF, and plan to get off the plateau that I have been in for simply ages.

@flourbaby…..taking your analogy I am back in 2017…..so the three years in between didn’t happen 😄

Got to run. It’s very icy and I need to take extra care on the rural roads to work.

Have a great Monday.

Day 4 – Sweden – NFD

Yesterday (FD) went well and today I have my eat day 🙂 .

Day 4 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Nice to see the number of members increasing for the January challenge, for any newcomers, the 5:2 WOL really does work. Just not as quickly as some might want it to, but it does, so stick with it.

As @northerndawn mentioned in an earlier post, you really don’t need to try and improve the 5:2 WOL to increase weight loss, stick with it and it really will work.
    I tried ‘fiddling’ around a while back, my normal weekly routine was FD’s being Monday and Thursday, Friday weigh day and without going too silly eat what I wanted on that one day, rest of the week keep under the BMR calories which is 1700 per day now.
    I did try adding in extra FD’s, doing Monday Tuesday back to back plus Thursday, maybe one at weekend as well if I was in the frame of mind. But nothing seemed to make any difference, so each time just reverted to plain old simple 5:2 and the weight has gone down steadily. Don’t worry about holiday weight etc, just jump straight back on the wagon and holiday weight will drop off quickly.

@northerndawn – Yes I use the free version of My Fitness Pal APP, have looked at others but that seems to suit me and is easy to use, quickly build up a list of regular foods on the app, so doesn’t take much time at all.

@bellybalst – You’re back out cross country skiing today, enjoy it and hope the sun keeps shining for you.

Take care all

Hi there
    Please could you count me in for January?
    Today feels like January 1 but I just realised it’s the fourth already ha ha
    Looking forward to joining the challenge & thanks for hosting!

Day 4 UK FD

Aiming to start the return to normal today , well in terms of eating that is , the world remains far from normal here ! Going for my first fast in ages

Day 4, UK – FD

I am returning to fasting after a long break

Unfortunately I have been suffering from long Covid and as a result I have not been well enough to think about anything other than trying to get better

I have put on a ton of weight! I have to weigh myself today and I think I may have put on over a stone – I’ve certainly grown out of loads of clothes, it is so depressing!

What is tough is that in fact that I have eaten super healthily and it is probably the fact that I have not been able to do any exercise that has made me pile on the weight rather than anything else…

However since being ill, I have eaten three meals a day so perhaps this has been a factor (I’m thinking Dr Jason Fung here).

As I am not 100% better I am going to go for OMAD vs full on 52 fasting just because of the complications from Long Covid.

Saying that, I do find that if I do OMAD then I’m not actually massively hungry by evening anyway so I’m sure things will balance themselves out.

So I haven’t fasted since February 2019…..
    I’m actually quite surprised at how much I’ve forgotten!!

So any helpful suggestions welcome!!!!

I’m going to aim for 3 to 40 omad days per week.

@northerndawn – are you going to be doing a Google sheet sheet with starting weight and finishing weight? If so, please could I join it I really need the accountability and hopefully the encouragement!!

Thank you everyone – looking forward to the ride together 🙂

Sorry @northerndawn I’ve just found google sheet!

Now I need to weigh myself 😱

First, find a battery for the scales ….. !!

Day 4 – UK – FD500

Loved, loved my 2hr Zoom Yoga workshop yesterday afternoon – would you believe there were over 40 of us, even a yoga friend who used to attend classes with me then emigrated to NZ joined us – the power of the internet – It was fab to “see” her on the mat once more 🙏

Yesterday’s CD did not materialise either but planning on my first FD 500 since mid November 🤔 not sure why I moved to doing FD800 since then…….Aiming for a OMAD to try and make it easier to keep below 500cals 🤞

Started today with our regular 7am Broga Class with OH via Zoom – a good start to the day – was thinking of going out for a walk but icy conditions have been reported and do not wish to slip and break something so staying home and may do a recorded class of some sort this afternoon instead

@northerndawn – I too use the free MFP app – I have to admit I don’t log daily anymore but it’s a good reminder of how many calories are in food as we all tend to underestimate our calorie intake!!
    In the link to @mr-data you shared – he repeatedly makes the point of not overeating on NFDs – and I totally agree that this was a big learning curve on my 5:2 journey – it’s amazing what I used to consider as a normal size meal probably accounted for my full intake for a day – learning about portion size and control is so important in our weight loss journey!!
    @stitchincarol – I input my recipes into MFP and divide to serve e.g. 4 and then try to ensure that when serving I visually divide the dish into 4 and ensure that I only put 1/4 on my plate and no more! that helps with estimating your calories
    @litprof – lovely to welcome another Aussie onboard – I have added you to the spreadsheet in case you want to use it for motivation – the link is at the top of page2
    @fivetwofan5252 – welcome back – sorry to hear about your experiences with the dreaded virus – long Covid does not sound like much fun – healing vibes being sent your way x

My tips for those new or struggling with this WOL/WOE are:
    *Stick to the basics – IT WORKS!
    *A good trick is to calculate your TDEE for the weight you want to be and not the weight you are and you should therefore lose weight a bit quicker and get used to eating less calories when you reach maintenance!
    *Don’t overestimate your exercise level!!!!!
    *DO NOT add the calories lost due to exercise into your daily calorie allowance as it is already taken into account when you work out your TDEE!
    *Use a calorie counter – It will be an education…..TRUST ME!!!
    *Increase your water intake to a minimum of 2L/day

FD Pocket List Day 4
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @brightonbelle
    @fivetwofan5252
    @at

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ Day 4
    @at

My motto for this journey remains
    “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 4, London, UK, FD

I’ve already fallen off of 1 wagon – I had promised to post daily, but it seems as though Day 3 went the way of 2020………………………. Vaporised without me noticing!!!

Anyway, today is my first ‘proper’ FD in a very, very long time🙏, I’ve been trying but not succeeding so it’s finger out time and I WILL have a good old fashioned, bog-standard 500cal FD!!! I’ve had a coffee and a large peppermint tea so far and with the temperature as it is I figure herbal teas are going to be my go-to for dragon drowning at the moment.

@daffodil2010, we’ve got this!!! Remember how good it felt to lose those first few lbs after ‘discovering’ 5:2? Well that’s what’s keeping me on this wagon from now on, I can’t afford to think negatively about the efforts I’ve managed to reverse by taking my eye off of the ball👀!! From now on, it’s halo polishing😇, positive mind set🙏, self-care💜 and NO throwing in the towel or justifying or treating myself with crap choices!!! I must start thinking of these challenges as just that; CHALLENGES!!!! I’m challenging myself to stay on the wagon, I’m challenging myself to lose 5lbs, I’m challenging myself to remain booze-free and I’m challenging myself NOT to give up!! There’s no alternative, this is the only thing that ever worked and 4 years down the line ……………………………. NOW is not the time to give up!!!

Welcome back @fivetwofan5252, I hope your long-covid symptoms dwindle as your fasting muscle grows💪!! Although a bit half hearted, I’ve never totally left fasting behind, I figure that’s a dangerous slippery slope for someone like me. I’m glad to see you’ve returned to something you KNOW works!!!! I’m sure you’ll get back into the swing of this WOL very quickly!!

Stay strong everyone!!!!

FD Pocket List Day 4
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @brightonbelle
    @fivetwofan5252
    @at
    @flourbaby

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ Day 4
    @at

“It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.” Chuck Palahniuk

Day 4 – USA/GA – NFD

So nice to see so many folks getting back on the wagon! My scales were a little grumpy this morning, but it finally happened: 229 lbs! Yay! Made it to the 220s (a month late, but better late than never!)

The 229 lb milestone is a little special for me because it was my first major weight loss goal I set 4 1/2 years ago. I got close, but never actually reached it. I’m so happy!

Back to work, but it is all teleworking this week (next week TBD)… I know we all have to wait to get through this pandemic a little longer.

Good luck to everyone on the pocketlists today!

“There you all are!” shrieks Rita as she runs towards us from the other elevator. “I’m so excited to get you all fitted for the wedding!” John and Megan are right behind her. I hear Wesley sigh defeatedly. Megan smiles and says, “come on. There’s room for all of us in the SUV.” She jingles her car keys and we follow them out of the hotel lobby into the parking lot. Rita and Lola pile into the back seat, excitedly mumbling all the way. Wesley and I climb into the middle seats and John takes the front passenger seat. “I can’t quite get this door to close, Megan,” I say. Megan closes her door, turns on the engine and says, “hands up, seatbelts on.” The door closes automatically. Oh these new-fangled vehicles and technology — how embarrassing. We pull out of the parking lot and head down the main highway in Triplicity.

Day 4 Oxfordshire, UK – CD

@stitchincarol – thankfully MiL doesn’t have Covid to add to her woes.

@northerndawn – decorations all down and boxed up, waiting to go into the loft.

Re housework- some years ago I downloaded a 30 day challenge to clean the whole house. I get it out every January and aim to go through it. I don’t usually mange it in 30 days as it’s a deep clean but over time it all gets done.
    This year I cleaned the oven just before Christmas so that will get ticked off straight away.

Aims for this year are:
    • 5:2 with Fast days on Tuesday and Thursday. Seems to work for me.
    • Drink more water. I’m trying to drink a 350ml glass before I have each hot
    drink, black coffee or herbal tea. I’m aiming for somewhere between 2500-
    3000ml
    • Dry til Fri
    • Daily yoga & 10,000 steps

FD Pocket List Day 4
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @brightonbelle
    @fivetwofan5252
    @at
    @flourbaby

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ Day 4
    @at
    @suki2

USA. Day 4. FD

FD Pocket List Day 4
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @brightonbelle
    @fivetwofan5252
    @at
    @flourbaby
    @ccco

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ Day 4
    @at

DTF
    @ccco
    @suki2

Day 4 Oxfordshire, UK – CD 2nd post
    just adding myself to exercise list. thx @ccco for adding me to DTF.

FD Pocket List Day 4
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @brightonbelle
    @fivetwofan5252
    @at
    @flourbaby
    @ccco

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ Day 4
    @at
    @suki2

DTF
    @ccco
    @suki2

Day 4 – USA Washington DC FD
    Anyone else feel the first 2 weeks are the hardest. Ugh
    Add that to living in a city where insanity is ruling (at the moment) —. fasting and dry January is tough right now. But hanging in. I hope

Day 4 USA (Illinois) NFD

Woke up to beautiful hoarfrost this morning. Silver Sneakers was cancelled (I see on Facebook today is our teacher’s birthday – bet that is why) so now I need to find a recorded session so I will still exercise. The class is easier in some ways, but I still ought to remain accountable.

Found out yesterday that DD also has come down with COVID (her doctor husband and his daughter have also had it in their household). It seems symptoms and ailments from it really vary widely. Such a strange virus.

@nellen – I feel for you being in DC through all of this. We Americans do sympathize! This is one supportive forum for venting and getting understanding.

@northgeorgia – CONGRATS on getting into the 220’s!! So happy for you! ✨😁

@fivetwofan5252 – welcome back! So sorry you’ve had to deal with the awful virus. Prayers there are no long term side effects.

Onward and downward.

second post/ almost Day 5 FD country West Australia
    Well today’s FD ( Day 4) was going really well, 475 calories until 6.30 pm. And then DH thinking to do something nice decided to make a plate of nibbles.
    3 walnuts, 3 cashews and a few other tiny amounts threw everything out of whack.
    So had ham and salad for dinner. A total for the day of 738 calories.
    Thinking 🤔of claiming it as an under 800 calorie FD but back in 2017 when I started getting the huff about plateaus etc this is exactly what happened then.
    I would have a few FDs which weren’t.😔 Always thinking I would make it up with a proper FD ‘tomorrow’. Except tomorrow stretched out to a few years!!!
    So I WILL make Day 5 a FD if possible.🤞 Though going out to dinner with friends …….
    @northgeorgia CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! Very very well done you!
    @nellen, must be tough living in the US at present. We down under are certainly thinking of you and people across the globe.
    @flourbaby, one of my old mates from some years ago and a kindred spirit in so many ways – I hear you. I hear you. But PLEASE do NOT make the mistake I made.🙏🙏
    5:2 works, as we know, so I am happy to hoist you on to the wagon and my plentiful ballast will easily keep us there , don’t worry about that.
    ( I just feel very sorry for the poor old horse pulling us along .
    I think he/ she will need a very good horse physio ! If I don’t kill him like the poor old one that died in harness in Gone With The Wind when Scarlett thrashes him and he falls down dead. )
    @songbirdme, so sorry to hear about your family members with Covid. Thinking of you all.
    @fivetwofan5252 , thoughts and prayers for a good recovery. Sounds terrible what you have been through.
    @i-hate-lettuce, glad to see you too are slowly recovering from your illness and treatment.
    Wishing everyone a better day for Day 5 ( only 30 minutes away for me.) Off to catch some zzzzs.😴

Day 4 Canada CD

A good FD yesterday and will be controlling things today. It took me a few attempts to get into MFP and I am glad that I persisted. I don’t use it all the time, I should probably, but at times like this where I am getting things back on track it is fantastic. If I am guestimating calories I err on the high side. Todays meals are all plugged in and I am going to stick to the plan:)

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD500

The scales were down this morning, just because, I suppose, I didn’t eat like a glutton over the weekend. I’m hoping for an even bigger drop tomorrow morning after today’s FD. I’ve already walked with Leslie (except that it was Nick and Rocky) and have a list of things to get done today, and DH has promised not to cheat (LOL, which is always a temptation to me to do the same), so it should be a good day.

@northerndawn While I agree that the flat cut of a brisket is lovelier than the point end, you may have been reacting to the cooking method as much as the cut; you ought to try a point end in your Le Creuset, and see if it isn’t far closer in taste and quality because of the cooking method. Although, I suspect you have a BOATLOAD of brisket to eat, so it may be awhile before that experiment interests you, LOL! You might also try my favorite method: smoking it on a charcoal grill for a couple hours then finishing in a low oven. Cook’s Illustrated published the recipe a couple decades ago, and it’s still my go-to recipe for a summer barbecue brisket.

@litprof Welcome! This is a terrific group, and 5:2 is exactly the tool you need to drop the weight, maintain the loss, and gain all the health benefits of fasting!

@snowflake56 I see the crockpot as particularly good for people who work, so can get their supper started and then walk away and forget it. Because I was always a stay-at-home mom, there was no problem with me starting dinner whenever I wanted, so I’ve seldom found it useful, although I did find it super helpful when I cooked my Christmas pudding!

@daffodil2010 hope the roads weren’t too bad for you.

@fivetwofan5252 Welcome, we’re glad to have you join us! So sorry you’ve had Covid, and so glad you’re in the recuperation stage now and finally getting better!

@at What a delight that had to have been to have your friend from NZ “join you” on the mat! The internet is well and truly an amazing gift in many ways!

@flourbaby I have a proposal for you. Several months ago, I made the observation that I would NEVER break a promise to someone else, but find it easy enough to break promises to myself (generally involving food choices). So, I promise you, @flourbaby, that today will be a true FD, with only 500 calories, or fewer. No merely “hoping,” no merely “intending,” but promising, and promising you. Now, care to return the promise????

@northgeorgia YAY!!!! What a totally thrilling number that had to have been–have you pinched yourself to make sure it’s true, and you’re not merely dreaming?? I’m thoroughly delighted for you!

@nellen You got this, and we’re all at your back, holding you firmly on the wagon, to help you stick to your goals! Just think of it as the same challenge as all those senators and representatives have to follow through on the promises they made to their constituent, except you’re following through on the promise you made to yourself! 😁💪💪

@songbirdme We’ve had a hoarfrost every single day for nearly a week; very unusual, but sure gorgeous! Deep sympathies that now your DD also has Covid, and prayers for an easy time of it and rapid recovery.

Thanks, @songbirdme, @lilymartin, @at and @northerndawn for the encouragement about counting calories, and using MFP to do so. You make it sound so easy and doable, so I’m good to jump on the MFP bandwagon for counting calories. Thanks!

FD Pocket List Day 4
    @lilymartin
    @daffodil2010
    @brightonbelle
    @fivetwofan5252
    @at
    @flourbaby
    @ccco
    @stitchincarol

Exercise 🏋️‍♀️ Day 4
    @at
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

DTF
    @ccco
    @suki2
    @stitchincarol

Going to take down the angel tree (several hundred angel ornaments) and the family tree (all the kids’ ornaments, the travel ones, etc.) today, and then do the rest of the decorations tomorrow. Have a grand day, everyone, whatever keeps you busy!

Day 4 UK FD

Happy New Year Old Friends. Lovely to be back with you!

TL:DR longhaul covid, off waggon, weight on, here to reset.

I was here pretty much every day Dec 2017-Spring 2020. I’d put on weight with chronic neuro conditions affecting mobility & energy, menopause and stopping smoking. Started out at 181lb went down to 145lb in around 14 months – with one very long plateau where I went down 3 sizes! I couldn’t lose the last few lbs to get to goal but yoyo’d a bit then put on another 10lbs end of 2019 after a friend died and never quite got back on the waggon.

Feb 2020 I picked up coronavrius on a short trip to Paris, apart from breathlessness it was initially fairly mild but then longhaul symptoms kicked in. Still living with range of symptoms including severe fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, breathlessness, cardiac symptoms. I’ve also fallen back into unhealthy patterns of eating late, not drinking enough, treats becoming habits etc and have put on 20lbs in the last 3 months by eating like it was a job!

I’m going gently back into healthier things, with medical agreement. Restarting 5:2, doing veganuary – I was a healthy vegan for a year a couple of years ago after 30 years vegetarian – drinking lots of water and herbal teas, cutting back caffeine, early nights, meditation and very gentle adapted yoga. After a weekend of prep today was my first FD.

I’ll post every day but don’t know how chatty I’ll be – baby steps. But looking forward to catching up with old friends and getting to know new ones.
    xxx

‘Fall seven times, stand up eight’ (Japanese proverb)

Day 4 second post

@michelinme Welcome back! I’m so very sorry to hear of all your lingering medical issues and hope you are able to continue healing and can lose the weight you’ve gained. Welcome, welcome!

Day 4 second post

oh my, today is my second FD and I held out until 1 pm EST to eat anything. now I could eat everything. going to go read a book in hopes that will keep my mouth shut. :)))) just sayin’

@michelinme – oh so great to see you back with us! Many of us are still hanging around. But so sorry life has thrown so many loops and punches at you. Whew. But you know this company will be supportive as much as you’re able to be here. Hugs and prayers for healing!

@nellen – yes, the first few weeks do seem to be the most daunting. Once you get the hang of fasting (more water, careful noting calories, eliminate sugars) it does get more routine.

Just saw a cute meme of a woman standing at a bakery counter. She asks “What’s here with no fat and no sugar?” The clerk answers “napkins.” That made me laugh.

Day 4 North Canton OH CD

Thank you so much @at for hosting us in December and Thank you @NorthGorgia for picking up the reins in January.

I have been offline for a few days but sticking steadily to TRE as well as strength training enthusiastically. The scales are not very responsive, but inches are encouraging.

I turn 46 tomorrow. I contemplated having my first water fast today but I don’t think I am mentally ready for it, OH came home early and I want to break bread with my family; nothing crazy.

I plan to add up my water fasts @dykask style and I am actually quite excited about it, Wednesday will be my first one – I am planning 101 water fasts this year – God willing ❤❤

I also got my 1st Covid vaccine today, and the next one is scheduled for the 5th of next month. As a group 5 Health system employee, I am surprised that I was able to get it so fast, sadly many Group 1 and 2 employees have been unwilling to get it; and that is why I moved up in line.

So far, I feel great and I will keep you all updated. The CDC is also checking in with automated texts once a day for adverse side effects.

Take it easy y’all.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply.