IGF-1 testing??

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Is it beneficial to get your IGF-1 tested at the start of the 5:2 system? It would be great to see in real numbers the proof that my probability of cancer is going down on this system. Is testing for this expensive? Do many people get this test? My husband and I just started the 5:2 plan and got initial bloodwork done so that we can see how the numbers change over the next few months. But we’d really like to see the IGF-1 data (if it’s not too expensive). Thoughts??

Hi there Lisa,

My GP here in Australia tests my IGF-1 regularly and it is covered by the Australian Medicare Benefits scheme, so costs me nothing.

I was tested prior to starting 5:2 which was now going on 3 years ago and I’ve been tested since. Since starting 5:2 my IGF-1 has fallen considerably, much to the chagrin of my GP, who, in response has wanted to prescribe GH replacement. My GP has thoroughly read Valter Longo’s research and completely disagrees with conclusions drawn from it. My GP’s view is that with the fall in IGF-1 comes an accompanying loss of muscle mass, which he regards as a major bio-marker of accelerated ageing. My GP also tracks, has for many years, all his patients on his GH replacement for development of cancers and is satisfied his GH replacement has produced no new cases of cancer of any kind. In fact this GP also is proactive in testing blood for markers of cancers for those types of cancer that can be detected by such tests, so he is diligent diagnostically. I’ve had numerous tests over the years to reveal whether or not I show markers of various types of cancer. I’m mentioning this again, to vouch that my GP takes the possibilities of development of new cancers, quite seriously.

GH replacement is very expensive and I haven’t taken him up on his recommendation of replacing that particular hormone. However, I find his view interesting, as I do that of Valter Longo and I regard both as making valid points.

By GH do you mean HGH? (Human Growth Hormone)

Water fasting promotes higher HGH. Many people that have tried to supplement HGH have had many side effects. I would have to look it up and I should. However if you increase your HGH through things like HIIT and water fasting there are no negative side effects. It is likely because other hormone levels have to adjust too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.