I need to lose 6 stone. Any big girls want to buddy up?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
I need to lose 6 stone. Any big girls want to buddy up?

This topic contains 944 replies, has 62 voices, and was last updated by  Lolly_ 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 947 total)

• Although new to this forum, it’s like I just stepped through a door and found something incredibly familiar. I have no idea who you all are, except that you seem to be me!

All these thoughts in my head, all my defeats battling food, all the shame of decades… it is time for me to ask for some help. This is difficult because I’ve been a secret eater. Well, hardly a secret to look at me now as I need to lose around 11 stone, but what I mean is that no-one ever saw me eat to excess.

Following some recent counselling, ghosts have been laid to rest. But! I am left with ingrained bad food habits of a lifetime and this is what I hope to now tackle. I find that I can stick to a diet for a bit then fall off, leading to disaster. The concept of intermittent fasting actually makes sense to me, not being a “diet”, and I think it’s do-able. Reading your inspirational posts, I can SEE that it is.

Please bear with me as I thrash my way along a path you’ve already explored! Tomorrow is my first fast day, even if I’ll be taking it slow. What I’d like is just to be accountable for my actions and connect with this thread to do that.

You all give me hope. Thank you.

Hi Lolly and welcome:

To start, focus on doing your diet days correctly. Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Welcome, Lolly! I hope you’ll get lots of support here and have great success!

Who knows, NorthernGal? Lancaster sounds pretty good to me! If I ever got to Britain I might just prefer it to Los Angeles. 😏

Sooooo many of us — both in these forums and out there in the big bad world — seem to have eating problems that started in childhood and had as much to do with our parents’ distorted attitudes about food as our own just forming ones.

In my case, my parents were both young during the US Great Depression. On his deathbed my father told us about going 2 weeks as a teenage boy without eating while he and his father traveled from lumber camp to lumber camp looking for work but, even more, for the meals that lumber crews were fed to fuel them for the hard work required. Not surprisingly, as a result, he couldn’t abide a plate that still had food on it and battles raged at our dinner table. My sister refused to eat and inflamed his irrational rages and I gobbled up everything in sight as though I could compensate for what she wouldn’t eat. …for about 68 years. 😵

What intermittent fasting has done for me is to provide a sensible program for eating that keeps my appetites and impulses from going off the rail. But, even more importantly and miraculously for me, it has eliminated, ELIMINATED my insane cravings that used to drive me to eat long after I was no longer hungry.

I have no proof of it but I am firmly convinced after these 14 or 15 weeks that the fasts limit my compulsive eating and the sensible food I am now happy to eat on my food days starves the problematical flora in my intestines and feed the productive ones. What I’m saying is that I think emotional eating is one of the challenges we need to address but that, beyond that, we’re probably struggling with unhealthy urges that originate from the unhealthy bacterial populations in our guts. The more we resist those little monsters, the easier the productive behaviors become! I’m living proof of that and you can’t imagine what an unlikely candidate I was before I started IF at Christmas!

Yes, Welcome Lolly, You stated just how I felt when I found this thread. It feels like a safe place to share and allow ourselves to truly be honest with ourselves.11 stone is a lot to release, so make sure you have smaller achievable goals along the way to make it not so overwhelming.

LA you are so right. I have a friend who’s mother was in the bombings in Europe and she has food issues and is also a hoarder. Of course she passed the food issues onto her family. I also had several patients when I was nursing who were in camps and they would constantly steal food and ferret it away. At night we would have to go though their lockers and return the food to the owners.- bananas was the top of the list for goodies.

What we also need to remember is that even though we were taught these food practices it is our choice to either take it on or dismiss it.
    I know I have said some harsh things about my mum, but in the end it is my reaction to her behaviour that has caused the weight to pile on, not her behaviour.

The gut issues are a big thing LA. I remember about 8 years ago I was due for spinal surgery and wanted to shed some kilos first. I saw a naturopath and she put me on an anti-candida diet and gave me lots of herbs to fix my gut. I had a massive detox initially and was quite unwell for a week or so till my body got used to it and did shed some kilos but I started a bit too late to have made much of a difference pre surgery. I am going shopping later and you have reminded me I need to get some acidophilus. You have done sooo well in overcoming your irrational cravings. Do you omit carbs?

NG, I am in Sydney Australia which today is very overcast and rainy.
    Good day to you all. Cheers

Yes, speckles, I have completely given up sugar and carbs. All grains, actually. Although I love whole grains and I recognize their place in a balanced diet, I, *personally*, can’t handle them. I have an addictive reaction and lose all control when I eat them. Consequently, I take NO credit for overcoming cravings. It just happened to me when I eliminated sugar and complex carbs and made fasting a regular event in my week.

So sad to think of what made another generation so gonzo about food. We can say that food has run our lives or distorted our lives but they had genuine *trauma* over it. And, let’s face it, they probably didn’t recognize the out of kilter place it had on their lives thereafter or how their reactions to it distorted ours.

No point in pointing fingers! But it’s good for us to see how what they experienced influences us and marshall the resources to put it behind us with, as you say, better choices. I know those better choices have improved my life immeasurably already!

I was just reading Dr. Krista Varady’s blog about Every Other Day eating. (She of the Dr. Mosley documentary). I ran across this comment: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1097066230327900

I thought it would be of interest to Lolly and inspiring to all of us. Note that she says she didn’t give up through a *3 month* plateau! That’s commitment! But the entire process of losing more than 100 pounds didn’t take her nearly as long as I would have guessed.

In case you’re not aware, Lolly, Every Other Day eating (often seen as EOD around here and sometimes as ADF as in alternate day fasting) is another approach to intermittent fasting. I suspect you could make either work for you and you’ll know best which you prefer.

On this forum there are people who do 5:2 (eating within a sensible calorie restriction 5 days and fasting for 2), EOD and 18:6 (which refers to eating within a 6 hour window and fasting the other 18 hours of the day 7 days a week).

I couldn’t tell you what all the acronyms she uses in her Facebook post are though I did look up PCOS which is polycystic ovary syndrome.

LA thank you for sharing that link. What an accomplishment and as you said what commitment having a 3 month plateau.

I must admit that not having carbs, it has been so much easier. So do you classify potatoes, pumpkin and other starchy vegetables as carbs or because they are “somewhat healthy” do you allow them and just omit the processed ones.

Last year I was quite Anaemic and had to take iron tables and eat meat every day. I got into the habit of having potatoes, which for me was a rare thing but it complimented the new foods I was cooking. I did pile on the weight and suspect it was partially that, but I have now found Carisma potatoes, which are low GI and seem to be OK.

I had quinoa last week and was really bloated after but I am going to try it again to see if I have the same reaction. If so it goes out the window.

Cheers

There are carbs in just about all foods even if we don’t acknowledge all of them.

I don’t eat any grains at all. I’m not recommending that. It’s a personal reaction to them. Whole grains are supposed to be really healthy but they’re loaded with complex carbs.

I’m very judicious about the starchy vegs that I eat. I do, for example, occasionally roast a winter squash and put bits in my lunchtime salad. I will rarely have a taste of mashed potatoes. I like pumpkin very much but my savory uses of it usually have something to do with pasta so that wouldn’t make much sense for me. I do make a curry flavored pumpkin soup at Thanksgiving — which I haven’t experienced during IF. That, I think, I could look forward to. These experimental episodes, however, usually make the rest of my day tougher so the allure doesn’t last all that long anymore.

The carbs in fruit never really appealed to me so they’ve never been a big part of my food choices. I am currently having some blueberries for their Alzheimer’s preventive properties. Unfortunately, Alzheimer’s is in my family but, fortunately, the fresh blueberries haven’t upset anything so far.

The simple carbs in veggies I embrace whole heartedly.

Beans are mostly starchy carbs but I eat about a cup of beans every day on my salad without problems. Beans, I would say, are my primary source of carbs. And an important part of my daily protein intake.

I think nuts are lower in carbs than beans but I don’t handle nuts very well so I only have them occasionally but, when I do, I go off the rails on them. So I try to avoid them.

Milk also has carbs and, ironically, any dairy products that are labeled “low fat” are higher in carbs than whole milk or cream. I very occasionally have cheese or yogurt but dairy is a very minor part of my diet.

Meat and fish don’t have carbs unless they’re added as something like breading or filler such as breadcrumbs or oats in meatloaf. I don’t eat a lot of meat anymore. Occasionally I have chicken. If I make meatloaf for my husband I use ground flaxseed for the filler and I might have a piece of that. For the most part I have seasoned, grilled salmon. Or oysters. There’s no important reason for that except that I love salmon and oysters and, if I’m not going to eat a lot, I want to really enjoy what I have.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and information — I shall do my best to be a sponge and soak them both up!

This is my first fast day after a week of eating what I consider to be an acceptable “normal” amount of food. I have to use those inverted commas because for many years now the abnormal has been my norm, and I am laying down track into a more stable territory.

My plan at this point is to commit to 5:2 for one month, 500 cal/day on Mondays and Thursdays, then reassess and commit for the next month. I need to keep this really simple and do-able because I’m not looking for a temporary diet but for a way of life.

When the student is ready, the teacher appears. School’s in!

Morning all…I usually fast on Monday but found I had to switch days …so am fasting today…I just love the flexibility of 5:2!

A big wave hello to Lolly!…a fellow Chalet School fan! (Have you read the fill-in books too?)

Lolly, make sure you read the link from simcoeluv…some useful info there. You have already found my thread, so know that I had more than 11 stone to lose, and am already past the half-way mark. (I haven’t set myself a final target weight as it seemed too big a step!)….for me, the important thing is to make the plan work for you – we are all individuals here, and we each have our own way of doing 5:2…11 stone is a big weight loss/release and it won’t hppen overnight, but you have taken the first step! You CAN do this!

For me, I do 2 fast days a week with a max of 500 cals, and 5 days of sensible eating with a max of my TDEE – which I have recalculated a few times as the weight goes down….I also have a set ‘eating window’, whenever possible I limit myself, even on non-fast days to only eating between 8am and 6pm….on fast days I eschew carbs. Mainly because I get more on my plate if I have protein and veg! I am a bit of a foodie and love to cook (and to eat!!!!!) as much as my disabilities allow. I enjoy finding tasty ways to make the most of my 500 cals!…and I love the comfort foods I grew up with and am trying to adapt some of them to enjoy even on fast days! (My Mum is from Germany – and that cuiine is near the top of my ‘favourite’ list…mustard baked rabbit…pig trotter and split peas…pork with red cabbage…cabbage parcels stuffed with minced meat….and oh man, the German cakes!!!!!)

On non fast days I allow myself carbs but firmly restrict the refined carbs. Biscuits are a huge issue with me. I have in the past eaten a whole pack of custard creams dunked into a mug of tea….and seen that as just a snack! It is really the only sensible option for me to ban certain refined carbs from the house! …….I have also pretty much given up the fizzy drinks. Even the sugar-free diet ones. Partly to avoid the bloating, but mainly because I think they accustom you to sweet foods and I am trying to train myself away from that!

Hi everyone
    Hope you don’t mind the intrusion but just thought I’d pop in and say hello. I’ve been doing this way of eating for a while now. I’ve not long passed the 6 stone loss mark and I’ve still a long way to go on my own journey. Most weeks the scales give lower numbers but not always, body shape readjusts, life sometimes gets in the way but all things considered, I am very pleased with the steady downwards trend and definitely see this now as a way of life eating pattern not just another diet. I love the positive encouragement these threads give and have taken so many tips and inspiration from others so just wanted to say – yes, it can be done, just keep going and you will get there. Good luck!

Chalet School Rules! I haven’t read the fill-in books yet, being a little anxious about non-original authors, but am curious and may prove brave enough to try them.

Thanks, Buttonboots — I’m definitely reading everything I can find here. What you are describing resonates with me and I am thinking that I need to write thoughts down in a thread of my own before my fooling brain plays tricks on me. Change has been a long time coming but I’m ready for it now. 5:2 makes sense. The freedom to choose my own path within a structure and the feeling of encouragement I see here are powerful tools. I want to lose the weight, don’t doubt that! But there’s so much more I want from this process and the calmness of yesterday’s fast day was precious to me.

I want also to thank particularly simcoeluv, LA Chubster, speckles and Lisa57 for the welcoming support. To know that people are finding success and to read how they are doing it is such a gift! Your weight loss is motivational and your sharing hearts inspire more than you know.

I remember as a child embroidering a sampler which said: “Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.”

I can only deal with today. And today, I certainly can’t lose (sadly!) 11 stone. But I can do my best with the choices in front of me for 24 hours. Do-able is good!

It’s just nice, isn’t it, instead of being the big fat girl in a world of “normal” people to be part of a group where exactly how we are *is* the norm for a change.

And if our norm becomes getting healthier and more “normal”, well, that’s OK too, I think.

I’m grateful for all of you and happy to welcome anyone who feels comfy and accepted here! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Wow Lisa, that’s amazing. Six stone is very inspiring.

LA, thanks for all that great info on Carbs and grains. I know that for each of us it is different and we all have to sort out what is right for each of us but it gives me a few ideas. I am going to try omitting certain food group for couple of weeks at a time and see how that goes.

Last night we had a work function and by the time I got there I was so stressed as I had so much work to do at the office and with Easter and being closed I ad so many deadlines. When we arrives we had to order a meal and the choice was very limited. After dismissing all the seafood which I am allergic to I was left with a choice of Cheeseburger or Pasta. I went with the burger thinking I can just eat the filling but ended up eating the whole lot and paid for it. Not only was it too much to eat but I was so bloated after. They used Brioche instead of traditional bread which was softer so I though might be OK.

Anyway, I have realised if I want to eat this stuff, I will have to pay for it after.

My BFF came over the other day and took my naked photos. Yikes says me, is that really ME!!!!!!! Yes it was very confronting, both having the pics taken and looking at them but for me it was worth doing as I now have both a record and a reminder, so if I ever start slipping back I can remind myself where I am heading. Next photos when I have released 10 more KG. (22lb)
    So I was depressed and overwhelmed for a day then decided that that is a stupid reaction and kicked myself in the butt.

Fasting today as Easter this weekend and we have a few things planned. As I don’t want my family to know I am doing this 5:2 or version of it will be a bit tricky. I have saved Saturday for another fast day and made sure there are no social engagements that day. Am going to make some low GI biscuits. I call them peanut butter balls but they have no peanut butter in them. Very healthy and have lots of seeds and nuts and I use spelt wholemeal flour or almond meal. These I can take with me and know that I have something I can eat. I can forgo Chocolate but hot cross buns will be my treat even if I will feel bloated after.

Buttomboots, what is Chalet School? Sounds like a ski class but I am probably wrong.

Lisa- a round of applause and a thumbs up for releasing 6 stone!! You inspire and Buttomboots, I haven’t had time to read your journal start to finish but I have skipped here and there and I love reading it. It really helps when you see others on the same journey as ourselves and that is why I love this thread so much.

OK, I need to stop procrastinating and get on with work as I am working from home today.

Good morning everyone! And a very warm welcome to Lolly and Lisa! I’ve been missing from the forum for a few days as I’ve had a few days off work but still got s fast in on Tuesdsy and doing one today too. It’s been great catching up with all the posts. Some interesting posts about eating problems starting in childhood. I can relate to this. My own parents were children when WW2 broke out and lived for years with rations so I guess food was very precious to them, although they were slim all of their lives and ate very healthily as a result I do remember they didn’t like waste at all, so plates had to be cleared! Lisa that is an amazing weight loss!! Well done to you and thank you for stopping by! What an absolute inspiration you are!! Could I ask how long it has taken you please? LA Thank you for that link. Very interesting indeed, I will have a read of that later! Have a lovely day all!!

I am just starting my journey and would live to buddy up

Good morning Ashby! And welcome to the forum! You will find great support here and lots of good advice and tips! Good to have you here!

I am just starting my journey . I eould love to buddy up

Morning!…and a big hello to Ashby!

Speckles…The Chalet School is a series of school stories written by E B Brent-Dyer between the 1920s and 1970s. She wrote over 50 of them. …They are still popular today, and some authors have been filling-in the ‘missing’ books from the series.

Lolly…look at the Girls Gone By website. They publish all the ‘official’ fill-in books…and they also publish Helen Barbers books about the younger Bettany family (the ‘Before the Chalet School’ series about a young Madge) which are very well written.

I am giving the Easter Bread gifts today…so that will be one temptation out of the house!

A warm welcome Lolly, Lisa and Ashby and I wish you all well on your weight loss/release journey. I hope the forum helps you reach your goals.

Lisa that is an amazing weight loss. Well done!! I would love to hear more please. As SB asked, how long did that take? What’s been the hardest part? Any tips or advice would be most welcome on this forum I’m sure.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone. No chocolate egg for me this year!

Hi everyone
    thanks for the lovely welcome and kind words. I’ve been doing this since mid Aug 2015, so in lots of ways I still feel like a newbie compared to others who having been doing this for much longer. I never stop learning and for what its worth, started with the basics as in the book then adapted to find a way that works for my lifestyle. For those that asked, I decided to fast mon/wed/fri – my skewed logic being that if I messed up I had a set day to catch-up – if I achieved 3 successful fast days then bonus! most weeks now I have 2 good FD and one that is in between 500 cals and TDEE – the weight loss has also settled, as to be expected but get a steady downward trend. one of my problems simply is that I love food, so had to get a grip on portion control – so I learned about TDEE, looked up the TDEE of what would be a healthy weight, then try and stick with that on non fast days. I don’t often get there but it is adapting my “eyes bigger than belly” syndrome. (I also bought smaller plates to make meals look better when served and I will be used to smaller portions over time). I don’t get worked up about going over my goal TDEE as its normally within the TDEE for my current weight. I will have to get stricter in time as I get closer to a healthy weight and do recalculate my actual weight TDEE from time to time as I lose though. Thanks to these forums I found the free app myfitness pal for my phone and to use as a food diary. I normally hate all that counting etc but have found it really easy to do and it does help keep me accountable. no cheating – it all goes in, even on the bad days. its helpful when I hit a blip if needed to look back to see why and its confirmed my trigger foods-that once I start on them – cant seem to stop eating. I did dig out the kitchen scales in the early days to check my food prep estimations weren’t too far off – I use them much less now as I am starting to trust my own judgement. I have a busy lifestyle and so haven’t felt guilty about using ready meals and packaged soups for convenience if I had to – all the counting and prep done for me. I am now cooking more from scratch but its about just doing what works for you in your own circumstances. hardest part? probably busy weekends out with the family and holidays away – don’t get me wrong – I enjoy myself and have breaks from fasting altogether sometimes, but I hate planning in advance, so learning to either do some planning and take healthy packed lunches and not grab the easy – and usually unhealthy – options for eating on the run. I don’t deprive myself in any way and enjoy meals out, takeaways etc. I’ve yo-yo dieted so many times over the years and although relatively successful – got bored and slip back to old ways and it all goes back on plus extras. This is honestly the first time that my portion control and appetite have naturally reduced, and this way of eating is inexpensive, easy to do and definitely flexible enough for me to stick with this long term. I’ve still a long way to go though …..

Hello, Ashby — I’m just starting, too, so we can be bumbling newbies together!

Skyblue69 and NorthernGal, thank you both for the warm welcome. There’s so much strength in numbers here!

Buttonboots, you’ve shown me exactly what I needed for my reward stages — I am already drooling over that site!!!

I’m looking forward to getting together with family for Easter Sunday, but instead of bunnies I’ll be bringing book tokens for the children. Not sure how this will go down but it ought to be amusing to watch.

I’m more concerned about post-Easter. The combination of “chocolate” and “sale” sets off fireworks in my brain. I have done what I can by getting enough shopping in to avoid going next week — post-holiday harvesting is no longer on my to-do list and I don’t want to be triggered. I need a more permanent plan but at this early stage, avoidance will have to do.

I’ll be interested to read how you all deal with holiday times. Happy Easter!

Lisa, congratulations on your amazing weight loss! I see a LOT of things in your post for me to think about and I appreciate you sharing what is working for you. I really identify with the getting bored and slipping back, and am encouraged to know that it’s not inevitable.

I’ve been lurking here for a while but wanted to “+1” Lolly’s post. I love reading this thread because you seem to be such a caring, helpful and respectful group of people, really working through issues and questions together. It sort of restores my faith in humanity a little bit.

Speaking of food issues – it’s really interesting how everybody comes up with useful “life hacks” – not going shopping while the post-Easter chocolate sales are on, avoiding certain kinds of carbs, that kind of thing. Do you think that “naturally thin” people do this as well? Does everybody have their own set of rules concerning what to eat/what not to eat/when (not)to eat? Except my best friend, it seems,whom I have known for 30 years and who eats ginormous amounts of whatever she fancies without gaining weight. She was slim 30 years ago and has filled out just a very little. Enviable genes?

Lisa, that was great reading your journey, though I am sure there were more ups and downs than you could put in your post. Thank you for sharing that.

Lolly, good idea about the books, I have bought my nephews eggs to paint so hopefully we can do that together. Re the post Easter sales, can you possibly order online and get it delivered or pick it up already purchased. I did that for a while when I was post op and it worked well.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Hot Cross Bun this morning. When I went to the bakery yesterday the girl said if you buy 5 you get one free but I held strong and bought only 2- 1 for today and 1 for Sunday. Fasted an extra day during the week and will tomorrow as well to make up for Easter food. I bought a small egg but will wait and see if I have it or if it sits with last years bunny on top of my fridge.

II had such a horrid, stressful week at work that I am really looking forward to not doing a lot. Sunday is busy with friends and family but the other days I just want to chill at home and play on my Wii.

Ashby and Austrian, nice to see you here. Lurking is fine but participating is also good. Austrian re your question about thin people, I know thin people that count calories but because they are trying to keep their weight up not down, so they choose the complete opposite of what is healthy for us. I work with 5 other women, all in our 50’s and over the last 6 years I have seen 2 of them gain the middle age spread while the other 2 don’t seem to have changed a bit. They all eat a big meal from the food court or bring it from home but it is a big meal for the middle of the day. I could NEVER do that, I would have a yoghurt, apple or salad sandwich yet I was the one stacking on the KGs. So who knows.

SkyB, yes the war and that era of depression seems to have taken a toll on the next generations. I was talking to a friend who’s mother was in a camp and she calls us “collateral” or the fall out of what occurred back then. Her mother has food issues which she passed on to her and is a hoarder.
    Some of my family were in England during the bombings and have a definite “eat everything on your plate and be grateful for it” attitude.
    I think that the thing to take from this is that it is their issues not ours and we can change our beliefs anytime we choose to do so.

Happy Easter everyone.

Morning everyone, Happy Good Friday! Welcome To the forum Austrian!

Lisa that was a great post thanks for sharing. You have such a sensible and philosophical approach! I use myfitnesspal too, like you everything goes in good or bad I find it so useful and helpful.

Lolly what a fab idea regarding the book tokens! I’ve always been a bookworm and even as a child I would have much preferred a book token over an Easter egg any day! Hope they enjoy them!

Speckles yes you are right we need to have our own beliefs and accept that other people’s issues are not our own!

Well I only managed one fast this week on Tuesday, I began okay yesterday but hubby has come down with a rotten cold so wasn’t really into fasting yesterday so we abandoned it I’m sorry to say. However, I’ve hopped on the scales this morning and I’ve lost a pound!! Really happy with that especially having only done one fast! I’ve had a busy and active week spring cleaning the house and on Wednesday spent a few hours gardening so maybe that’s had something to do with it.

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter Weekend!!

Well done Skyblue! I have also lost a pound which I’m delighted with as it follows my mum’s visit and we did quite a lot of eating out. Indian meal, cream tea, ice cream, cinnamon buns. I was braced for a plateau, if not a slight gain so really pleased I lost. This is a great way of eating. My mum said she put on 4 pounds. We kicked back a little but no way did we eat 14000 extra calories.

Easter weekend now so hubby has gone out for hot cross buns and friends are coming for lunch on Sunday and will bring chocolate eggs. But I’ll do two more fasts next week and maybe even sneak in a third as hubby is away for a few days. I am just 1kg away from my 3-month target.

Austrian: welcome! As for why some people stay skinny, I guess human beings are not closed systems and I think genes is a lot to do with it. Genes and environment. I’m from a long line of really tough and long-lived peasants. Put me to work in a field in Siberia and I’d be fine. Put me in front of a computer in the 21st century and I get fat.

I think the western obesity problem (if you accept it is a problem) is the disappearance (largely) of manual labour, without diet adapting to suit, coupled with the rise of processed food.

Happy Good Friday everyone!

Fantastic news MMe! Well done bet your are very happy with that!! Mmmmm yum hot cross buns! I’ve had two myself this last week and there’s two still in the cupboard…..!!!!

Thanks Skyblue. I had two, plus my usual porridge which I make with almond milk and blueberries and cinnamon. Just back from a run so not feeling too terrible. I don’t want to put any newbies off, but yesterday was a tough fast day. I had tummy ache, which coupled with that strange empty feeling you get on fast days made it all seem like a bit of an ordeal, but I’m fine now.

Austrian, so glad you de-lurked! The more voices we raise, the clearer it becomes that we are strong and brave and free to speak our truth.

I have always felt so alone in my relationship with food, shame in my inability to stop, and I isolated myself into a very small world indeed. This forum is where I am choosing to step forward and say that I am ready for change — that I am doing this for me and at no-one else’s demand. The plan I create will be the right one — for me. I will cherry-pick from you all! But in the end, I will own this.

Two weeks without sugar, and my head has never been so clear and peaceful. I choose to let sugar go.

Hi L.A. just started the diet. Need to lose 2 stones any tips?

Mme Monkey, SO true. In German, there is an expression “guter Futterverwerter”, something you’d say about a farm animal but also jokingly about a person: “easy to fatten”/”thrives on very little food”. In my family, some people – including me – absolutely are gute Futterverwerter, and since my family used to be peasants for centuries, they would have to be able to thrive on very little food as they would have encountered famine/food shortages again and again!

And yes, my maternal grandmother (born 1917) as a child ate low fat/high carb food (mainly potatoes and potato dumplings), and all of her family were slim to thin – they were peasants and did hard manual labour each and every day.

My paternal grandmother had three sisters, they were the village beauties in the Thirties. When I knew these old ladies, in the 1980s, two of them led rather comfotrable lives with little physical exertion and had become rather stout, one was very athletic and slim and my grandmother didn’t have a lot of money, believed a lot in mind over matter and sacrifice and remained very thin.
    So looking at these examples, I agree that a sedentary lifestyle makes it a lot easier to pile on the pounds. Which is rather unfortunate.

Lolly, I can relate to everything you say. It’s such a relief to find that I am not the only one at battle with my body/food/eating habits (I do know that this is an issue for a lot of people, but very little is openly discussed by those actually in the trenches.) Sugar – I stopped eating it two years ago and LOVED it – if you don’t eat sugar, you’re basically forced to eat healthier food. 🙂

Good luck everyone, and have a lovely easter.

I posted last night, then accidentally deleted it! Apologies if you’ve already heard this quick recap. Congratulations and massive well done to SB and MmeM. That is fantastic, especially when it’s unexpected. And well done with the running too MmeM!!
    Warm welcome to Austrian and big thanks to Lisa for sharing that great info. Lolly 2 weeks without sugar is fantastic and I know how hard that is to do. Congratulations!

Weigh in for me today and I’ve shed another 4lbs and 4cm in total this week!! I am over the moon. I’m now at 14 stone 5, so 13 stone something is now just a stone’s throw away (if you’ll pardon the pun!) I did have a really good week after struggling for a few weeks (sympathies MmeM, some of my fasts over the last few weeks felt a bit like an ordeal too) and really enjoyed my full water fasts as I did before hitting the bump in the fasting road. Ooooh and my partner pointed out that I’m running up the stairs again! It’s been a long time. Plus I couldn’t help but do a boogie to Heaven 17s “Temptation” this morning, the irony of which made me chuckle.

Have a great weekend and Easter everyone. Enjoy those hot cross buns SB, MmeM and anyone else eating them.

Evening all!

Hope the Easter weekend is going well for all!

And Gruess Gott Austrian! I take it from your username and the fact you speak German that you are Austrian? Do you still live there? It is one of my favourite places to visit! (and not only for its Chalet School book connections….yes Lolly, I have visited the Austrian sites mentioned in the books!)

I have been fasting today – ready to enjoy a few Easter treats on Sunday and Monday!

When Mum married and started keeping house and having children, there was no need to go the gym! She would physically beat the carpets to clean them…she crubbed floors and the outside steps on her hands and knees…she had her first washing machine when my younger sister was in her teens, up until then everything, including bedding was hand washed….the ‘local’ shops were sometimes about 5 miles away so a 10 mile round trip to walk, carrying the shopping on the return trip!………..she got a full body workout just doing the housework! (She is 90 this year and still amzing for her age!)

Happy Easter all!

Guten Abend, Buttonboots!
    Yes, I am Austrian but I live in Bavaria now. I come from Upper Austria. Which places have you visited in Austria? And where is the Chalet School, according to the books? I think the Chalet School books are virtually unknown in Austria, what we do have is Enid Blyton books. When I was at school, girls would read Mallory Towers and Blyton’s genius child detectives series.

About housework being a lot of physical exertion in times past – have you seen the 1900s House (you can find it on youtube)? They put an English middle class family in a house fitted out like a house in the late 19th/early 20th century, and the family lived and worked there for a month or so. They constantly say what a challenge the housework is and you can see for yourself. Interesting series, great to watch while you sew or lift weights or whatever.

Cheers and have a lovely Easter, everyone.

Austrian

Buttonboots, you are reading my mind! When I saw Austrian’s name, my thoughts went straight to the Tyrol of the 1920’s. I am sooo envious of your tour of the Chalet sites and you have given me a brilliant idea for my GRAND REWARD when I have reached my goal.

Austrian, your “gute Futterverwerter” made me laugh! I’ve decided that I am now officially “super-efficient at survival”. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

NorthernGal, you must be chuffed to little mint balls — that’s quite the drop for a week. Skyblue and MmeMonkey, great news despite the worries. You all are making me re-think getting scales. Maybe I do want to know…

Morning all!….Christ is Risen!

Austrian – the Chalet Books are fantastic – there are over 50 of them! The early ones – the first 15 books are set in Austria, in the books the school is established in Pertisau am Achensee (in the books it is called Briesau am Tiernsee)…I love the Tirol! Before disability meant that travel was no longer possible, I spent a number of very happy holidays there. We were often based for holidays in a little place called Seefeld that meant we could travel to all sorts of places. (You might gather from my posts that my own roots are German, although I live in the UK)

I also read German school stories!….Trotzkopf and Nesthaekchen…the old ‘classics’! (Although to some extent they are ‘family’ stories rather than ‘school’ stories)

Anyway….back to weight issues..One pound off for me this week…I am well chuffed with that!

Hot Cross Bun for breakfast!

Happy Easter!

Thanks Lolly. I’ve never been chuffed to little mint balls before but I love the sound of it lol! Scales are a really personal thing and I know there are a couple of people on here who prefer not to use them. For me they are essential. I’ve lost over 2 1/2 stone now and there’s not much difference in my clothes so I would probably have given up, completely demotivated if I didn’t weigh in each week. It’s not until around 3-3 1/2 stone that I’ll really notice a difference (I know this because I gained 3 1/2 stone last year and really couldn’t believe the scales when I finally weighed myself). Scales are my best friend now and I intend to weigh myself every week for the rest of my life, so if I gain weight I can manage it. Just my tuppence worth. Like the rest of this wonderful way of eating, you just do what suits you best.

Do any of you ladies suffer from restless leg syndrome?

NG, Yes I do and especially at night. This is part due to my back and I have cut back on one of my meds (for nerve pain) as it stacks on the weight. I do fund having lots of water before bed helps and also magnesium.

Well I totally blew the calorie budget yesterday (Easter Sunday) as I was out for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. I felt so awful last night and still feel totally bloated and full today so and having 3 fast days to make up for it. I kept portions to small ones but as I have only been having dinner for the last few weeks it was so much more than my stomach was getting used to.

Buttonboots, I am going to have to source the Chalet books. I loved the Enid Blyton books and even now pick up an well worn copy just for fun. Isn’t it fun to visit some place you have read about so often.

N Gal, well done on your release, you inspire me as do so many on here and yes, 13 st is just around the corner. I love reading about what can be accomplished. I think in KG, though learned lbs. and stone as a child and got a real shock when I converted my kg into stone. Made me realise how much more I have to go. I think the KG reading makes my weight seem less than it is.

Off now to get on the Wii.

Cheers all.

Well done, NorthernGal on a fantastic weight loss. Easter weekend hasn’t been too bad. Friends over for lunch and I did sea bass in a creamy sauce with mussels and fennel and sauté potatoes and green veg, we had some white wine and there was lemon tart for pud, plus a few small chocolate eggs. My friend is a GP so we were extolling the virtues of the 5:2 and said she should recommend it to her patients.

I would echo what NG says about scales. I did a week on 5:2 before I plucked up the courage to stand on them but am so glad I did. Whenever I’ve been successful at losing weight it’s been with the assistance of scales. When I bury my head in the sand – and I spent years avoiding the scales and would get so stressed before any medical appointments in case they weighed me – that’s when the weight piles on. It’s very easy to kid yourself you’re not putting weight on. Knowing the number, and it is just a number, and taking ownership of that and not being frightened of it is very liberating, I find. I do weigh in Kgs though as I find I can be more dispassionate, the downside is the numbers don’t drop as quickly (my scales only weigh in 0.5kg increments) although I know roughly what it corresponds to in stone and pounds.

Sorry, this isn’t intended to be a lecture, just saying what works for me as someone who for a long time was very frightened of the scales. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with and the number on the scale is just one indicator of many.

Do you take magnesium supplements Speckles, or just include it in your diet? I’m afraid to say that mine has got much worse since fasting but I’m hoping that’s just a blip. I’ve never heard of the chalet books either but I used to love Enid Blyton. Mallory Towers seemed so exotic and sophisticated!! Cs Lewis and the lion, the witch and the wardrobe series was my all time favourite though. I still have my copy, 30+ years old that I hope my son will fall in love with too.

Thanks MmeM. I have to say that that sounds like my absolute perfect meal. Yummy!!

My curiosity has surpassed my apprehension and I’ll get some scales this week. I do feel lighter, and my clothes are looser already — and it would be satisfying to watch numbers progress downward for a change!

My reluctance stems from past experiences of feeling great, stepping on — and seeing no shift. I’d think, well what was all that effort FOR? That never led anywhere good.

I know it’s not all about the number. But in the past, that’s all I had to measure success and it never worked for long. This feels very different now, in ways I’m beginning to understand. I’ve made a commitment here unlike any I have made before. And so, I’d like to know.

My Easter idea of book tokens for the children went down better than I could have ever imagined! What I did in the end was put each one in a card with an invitation for a day out to go spend it. I do better on a one-to-one, and children enjoy the focus of their own day. Goodness knows they already had masses of chocolate and certainly didn’t need me adding to the pile.

This is a FD for me. I was actually looking forward to it all yesterday! Call it beginner’s gung ho, but this just feels right.

I must confess, I didn’t have time to stay abreast of what you’re all up to getting ready to go home for Easter. And now I’m trying to come up to speed and have company next week. Whew! I’m overwhelmed.

So, how did you guys manage the holiday? I. Was. A. Pig. I didn’t even try very hard to control myself. But I enjoyed myself. And now I’m THRILLED to discover it wasn’t too hard to get back in the saddle and fast again. I’m doing great today. I thought I would have to beat my inner demon into submission but it didn’t even put up any resistance. YAY!

I’ll fast tomorrow too and see if I can do a third day on Wed to make up for the excesses of the holiday. And I’m more grateful than I can even say that I didn’t follow my usual pattern of inventorying everything I’ve missed to make sure I have them all before I go back to my diet “tomorrow” (that turns out to be about 2 years and 50 pounds later). 😓

Hello all! Just checking in and trying to catch up with all the posts! I’ve been off work for just over a week so it’s back to the grindstone and reality today!

NG – That’s absolutely wonderful news!! Congratulations to you!! You are doing so well and you should be so proud of yourself!! And Buttonboots well done to you too!! Love it when the scales report a loss!! I do agree with NG and MMe, the scales tend to keep me in check. I find it all too easy to put weight on and ignore the fact if I don’t weigh myself. Like NG I am going to weigh myself every week so I can keep track of everything and nip things in the bud if I see a upward trend!!

Austrian, Enid Blyton was my absolute favourite when I was growing up and I still have most of my books. I read Malory Towers too and I remember begging my mum to send me to boarding school ha ha.

Lolly – I’m really glad the book tokens were well received, they all have a lovely day to look forward too also to choose their books!

LA – I’ve been a pig also over the bank holiday weekend. Did okay last week losing a pound but since Friday. OMG. Oh well never mind that was then and this is now!

Have a lovely week all!!

After all the stuffing I did on Sunday I am pleased to report I still released nearly 2kg this week. I did have 4 fast days to make up for Sunday but it was worth it.

I am now at my lowest weigh in over 5 years so pretty chuffed even though I know I have a long way to go but I broke the 110kg ceiling that has been haunting me. Even my mum said I looked really good and she doesn’t know what I have been doing.

NG, yes I take magnesium supplements. I find I cant get enough from food but beware that if you have to much you may be running for the loo. Take it slowly at first.

I am bad with the scales, I know you shouldn’t do it but I check most days although I don’t count a loss until I have seen it 3 days in a row and the same goes for an increase, It just keeps me in check and I am a bit OCD.

SBlue, I too loved Mallory Towers and as a child I spent the better part of 2 yrs in and out of hospital. I pretended it was boarding school, though not as much fun as I was confined to bed but got up to mischief anyhow. LOL

LA. Congrats on eliminating another bad habit! and well done for getting back into the saddle for all of us. Gosh it makes a difference when you realise you ARE strong enough to have a blow out, enjoy it but leave it there.

Time for bed for me.

“I release the excess fat cell that I no longer need.”

Speckles, that is SUCH amazing news. Lowest weight in 5 years!! You must be over the moon. It’s a really fantastic achievement, well done. I’m really, really chuffed for you.

LA and SB, I missed you both!! Well done on getting back to the fasting without any problems LA. The fasting is so wonderful at getting rid of the “start again on Monday” (ie never) mentality that I also recognise all too well.

Thanks SB!

I’ve had bad skin for the last 8 months or so (possibly longer) and thought it was down to my bad diet. I went to the doctor today as it hadn’t improved with my new super healthy diet and was told I’ve got roseacea. I look awful and I’ve been told I’ll need low grade antibiotics for at least 2 months and more like 6. And even then it might not clear up. I’m sorry to report that I reverted to type and bought a big bar of chocolate, which I’ve just scoffed. Nothing too major, but I’m annoyed at myself for turning to sugar. Sorry if this seems trivial – I know that some of you have disabilities and I really shouldn’t moan. Anyway, if any of you have ever had this, I’d be grateful to hear from you. In the meantime I’ll be looking up natural remedies….

Have a great day everyone

Speckles that’s fabulous news!! Well done to you how fab is that to be at your lowest weight in 5 years – what a boost!!

NG I’m really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, don’t worry about the chocolate bar, brush it off and carry on! You will be okay!! I don’t know anything about roseacea so I can’t advise you but I hope you find something that will soothe it for you and I hope someone here can give you good advice!

Today is my fast day and I am starving. Any tips?

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 947 total)

You must be logged in to reply.