I am trying to eat a vegetarian diet. How can I get the protein that I need?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
I am trying to eat a vegetarian diet. How can I get the protein that I need?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  goindeep 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• A: It is good that you are concerned because many people who start eating a vegetarian diet simply eliminate the meat from their diet and compromise their protein needs. Rich protein sources include lentils, legumes, nuts/seeds, soy products (such as tofu or soy meat substitutes), eggs, and dairy products. You need to be intentional about consuming these foods several times throughout the day.

lentils and beans are good

Proteins are in basically everything even things like strawberries. I am vegan now but when I first went vegetarian I bought vegetarian for dummies book and I found it extremely useful.

Soy products – if one likes them and is happy to eat them are great, soy yogurts alpro go in UK is now my fav, cheap and cheerful tesco ones too, koyo coconut yogurts etc. I eat various types of tofu and things like dried tofu, burmese tofu – which is not made of soy but of chickpea flour, many beans I like variety so never stick to the sames and cycle them through the month. Chickpea flour has lots of protein and makes amazing pancake type things.

Soy, nut and seed milks all have protein. I make my own and again always cycle through whatever I ve in the cupboard Brazil, walnut, cashew, hazelnut, pecan. I like chia seeds and linseed use them each day in drinks or salads or baking own bread.

For vegetarian one can try diary and eggs, mix beans in use some nuts or tofu to keep things varied.

Most people eat more protein than they need, so it might be less of a problem than you are worrying about.
    Here is some info: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/protein

I relied on beans and lentils for a lot of my protein during my vegetarian years, because they are delicious, cheap and healthy. Here is a thread I started to share recipes, in case you would like to try any: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/beans-and-lentils-recipes-tips-and-information/

Im assuming vego and not vegan? Been covered already but things like tofu, beans/lentils, eggs, nuts like almonds and walnuts, cheese are easy and convenient.

My wife has been a vegetarian most of her adult life. She gets hers from eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt, butter (dairy in general) etc. See your GP obviously but unless your an athlete or trying to bulk on muscle I wouldn’t see it as an issue and even then that’s what protein shakes are for I guess.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.