I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,701 through 1,750 (of 3,046 total)

• I have had a very bad day. The storms woke me at 5 am and I couldn’t get back to sleep, managed to wait until 7am for my usual breakfast. Got to work, not a lot to do, so got cracking with one of those ‘boring but I’ll be pleased that I did this, sometime in the future tasks’ but within n hour I had eaten 2 mini danish pasties(left overs from a meeting) then there were some biscuits, lunch-chicken curry/rice, but I had fruit salad and then more biscuits…I had to stop via the supermarket to pick up a cake for my sons birthday today and left with a large chocolate cake, pack of coconut macaroons and x8 pack of kitkat chunky. I ate a kitkat before I even got out the shop(haven’t had 1 in months) and then cooked dinner-meatballs in tomato sauce(all home made) and ate that..then a couple of macaroons. There will be cake later when my son is home. Oh dear. On the plus, I haven’t done anything like this for a long time.

Poor dear annette, the title of this thread is “I’m a binger” so it’s not like we haven’t been warned. And don’t have to know that about ourselves. I’m so sorry it happened to you!

Hang in there and tomorrow is going to be another day. And a better one, no doubt! 😏

I went to see a doctor today. Running on the treadmill — even for those very short bursts — did my knee in. I’m going to have to get it silly putty-ed again. I was always going to have to get a new round of injections but now I need them NOW. Hope it won’t take forever to get all the authorizations and get the actual process started.

One interesting thing was that I had to step on their scale at the office. I had guessed I was around 180lb (81.6k, 12.8 st). I am 181 (82k, 12.9 st). I’m gratified to know that I have a realistic assessment of myself. And I could put that information in the tracker so I’ll get some feedback on my progress. No doubt there are more visits to the doctor in store and occasional updates to come.

BTW, that’s probably down from the vicinity of 200lb (90.7k, 14.3st) just before Christmas. That’s an estimate, of course, but I think it’s a pretty good one.

Happily my stomach has settled down since the weekend. I’ve got a short wait until lunch but I can do it. I’m having a lovely lemony bean salad on greens and a small piece of cold poached tuna.

Hope you’re all having pleasant successful days! We’re gonna do this!

Annette, don’t beat yourself up. I think a bit of winter is at work, and then eek, toss in a bad night’s sleep (or for me, the Sat night cocktails), and boom. And as you said, Chubster, it’s not as though this could never happen to us lol. For me, there are just times when I want to be off probation. Ha, I guess I’m a recidivist, but probation is working overall. The meringue is still sitting there. I’m not willing to give up my one night of 2 cocktails even knowing it is a trigger of sorts.
    But because Sunday is such a problem, I’m thinking of making it a regular FD. It would be tough, but at least it would be a day when I hit the brakes. Then maybe the sugar craving will be gone by Monday? We’ll see. Tomorrow is always another day! (said Scarlett O’Hara)
    Chubs, so sorry to hear your knee is hurting – hope you can clear away the red tape to get the silly putty injections asap. It is such a pleasure to have you here to share ideas. And whoop whoop big congrats on dropping those lbs – you’re on your way and yes we can do this. It’s a zig-zaggy road but we’ll all get there. xx

Looks like anything with sugar is your trigger food annette52. Once you had the cake it was sugar for the rest of the day. I know its easier said than done, but stay away from anything with sugar in it. Even the fruit salad, what was in that? Perhaps have blueberries with some LOW SUGAR yogurt instead of a fruit salad which will be through the roof with sugar.

Hit the reset button. Tomorrow is no sugar day.

Meant to add, Annette – happy birthday to your son! Relax, tomorrow really is another day. Hope you enjoyed your family today xox

So right, JL! We might just as well be realistic and recognize it’s going to happen for all of use sometime(s). And, even though we’ve committed to this, that doesn’t mean that we don’t mean to enjoy life and opportunities that come along.

The trick will be to be smart about ourselves and our food so that we *limit* how often it happens and to *stay* committed so that we can set the Restart button when necessary. …however many times that turns out to be.

And that, of course, is why we’re so valuable to one another! A tad of accountability. A dash of cheerleading. A whole heaping bunch of empathetic company!

So, we’re here for you, annette, and we’ll help you find your Restart button if you need us to. 😏

I recommend weekend fasting, JL. It’s easy to dial up the interesting activities to stay distracted. A haircut or manicure. Recreational shopping (which can be as aerobic as you like as well). A museum. A sporting event. And when the weekend turns to dinner with friends or something, if there isn’t something appropriate on the menu (of course nothing on a menu is appropriate for my water fasts) I just roll my schedule back one day and fast on Monday or Monday & Tuesday.

Hi, bigbooty. I don’t believe we’ve met yet. ::waves::

Chubs, best recipe ever – the cheer-leading and empathy are so great to turn to here. And yes, just a pinch of accountability 🙂
    I’ve done Sunday FDs before, though usually I’m in full-on relaxing mode. Though that’s more a habit than a real need. I’m actually kind of excited to try it, as a new experiment. Sundays have just been the weak link in my 5:2 efforts for the longest time.

I’ll confess (and long-time islanders know this is big) I had a cream doughnut yesterday IN THE CAR. It’s not as crazy as it sounds. Kind of a rebellion against rigidity. Pleased to say I did not go insane, had a regular dinner and no other sweets, stayed within tdee. Just accounted for the 300 cals.

It’s been awhile since I had an epiphany, but ha just when you thought you were safe – I have one! Here’s my deal. I can monitor myself with the scales. Or I can monitor my cals with MFP. Or I can skip those two things and just eat whole foods and trust they’ll fill me up with close to tdee. I cannot do all of these things at once or I become a petulant 2-year-old and just say no to ALL of it. Except for the fasting – weirdly I love the FDs. I do love the experiments to see how this wonderful plan works just right for me – I know it’s possible, and as Spring said some time ago, learning to sway with the differences in our moods etc. each day is also important.

Going to work now – happy days to all of you! xx

Hello Everyone and thank you for your kind comments and support. I don’t feel upset or guilty about my slip up yesterday at all, but a little resigned to these things happening from time to time. I can’t remember the last time this happened, so that is really very good, when it used to be several times a week. I have no doubt that sugar is a gateway drug for more and more, I also know that Lustig wouldn’t be a bit surprised. We ate cake at 10 pm and then I woke up full, could have missed breakfast but thought it better to do everything that I could to ward off the ‘sugar demons’ and it did all morning, but lunch was poor and small, so I had several biscuits to keep me going all afternoon. Not perfect, but far far less than yesterday and no fruit salad either. I shall have a FD tomorrow and simply do my best for the rest of the week.
    Chubster-I hope that the knees get sorted very soon, sounds like swimming will be good for you.
    bigbooty-I hate blueberries, the fruit salad was probably tinned with syrup and the only yoghurt is 0% fat which is high in sugar. I shall just have to get back to choosing whole fruit instead, which I also know makes me feel much much better than the sugar crash with puddings and biscuits.

Jade-thanks he is 26, which somehow makes me feel much older than when he was 25! Wow you have come a long way to have just 1 doughnut! I agree with you about all of the counting and found that by eating breakfast and 2 real meals with wholefoods, I was shrinking and not counting anything. maybe I am rebelling like you?

I shall go back to not counting anything, avoiding the sweet stuff and eating wholefoods, more legumes and just see what happens in the big reveal at the end of February.

Yes that’s fabulous Annette! Yes, 26 years does seem a lot older than 25 – our youngest is turning 25 this year and I still can’t quite believe it.

I’m glad you are taking it all in stride, and really if we view this as a long experiment, we become interested observers of our physiology and how to tweak it. I have the tools, just need to pick the right one on the right day. And by that I also mean I need to have my heart in it that day, as well. Kid’s birthday…well, that one doesn’t exactly scream restricted eating, does it.

But nothing need get gets out of hand for long, and climbing back on the 5:2 horse is (ta da) a real habit now! Yay – at least one habit is good 🙂 xx

Exactly Jade.
    I am here for the long game and just celebrated my 3 years from when I first tried this way of life. There have been many ups and downs along the way. I have learned some of what makes me tick, what I can do and also what drives me crackers. The attraction to the 5:2 was to be able to eat real food, learn to fast and that i wasn’t going to collapse in a small heap, and learn what real hunger is. I think that the fasting also acts as a ‘re set’ button too.

I have lots of goals, all are reasonable, and hopefully I will achieve some of them over the coming months, but whatever happens this year, I am in a much better place than last year, both physically and mentally around food, which is wonderful. I am blessed.

Have you ever tried making your own yogurt, annette? It’s amazingly easy to do and then it’s very pristine with no more of *anything* than you want in it and, once it’s made, you get to add what you like.

I’ve got a method that has never let me down and requires very little effort. Basically, you get the bacillus by buying a powdered culture or harvesting some commercial yogurt with a live culture. “Live” is the operative word there, of course. Then you warm milk using a thermometer to get a precise temperature range. Next you cool the milk to a different range that incubates the culture. When you’ve got that, you stir in the culture. Put the mixture in individual serving jars that you can easily transport to work if you like. Then the final step is to let that cool very very slowly. I put my jars in an insulated lunch cooler and then I put that in the cavity of my microwave oven (TURNED OFF). If I do this at night in the morning I have yogurt.

My personal preference is to use whole milk. It’s rich and thick and I don’t try to avoid fat. I also steep my milk with a vanilla bean when I’m first heating it. And I add a bit of condensed milk (Vietnamese style) for a *hint* of sweetness.

Vanilla yogurt goes well with fresh fruit. Plain it’s very refreshing raita style with cucumber and cumin.

Hooray for you to be past your mini “vacation” and channelling your new resolve already! And you’re my *hero*, JadeLark, if you can have your indulgence and move right on all in the same *morning*! I wouldn’t trust myself to do that but I am deep in envy and appreciation of you!!!

THREE YEARS!!! Sorry, JL, I just got a new hero. (Yes, I *am* a faithless b#tch.)

That is a wonderful thing to hear. To know that it truly is that sustainable is *beyond* awesome!

Care to share the short version of what you’ve accomplished in 3 years? Perhaps there is a bit of your own Jane Austen novel in there somewhere. 😏

Yes, chubster, i have made my own yoghurt. The recipe that I followed meant leaving it in a pre warmed thermos flask for 8 hours, which makes it a bit hard to do after work. I shall make some more at half term.

I was 13 stone about 5 years ago which at 5ft 1 is much too heavy. I endured Weight Watchers and finally got to 11 stone 11lb, convinced that it was completely impossible to ever get any smaller. I saw the documentary and in the January 2012 I decided that I would give it a go, fully believing that it wouldn’t work for me at all. I didn’t count calories, but was ‘religious’ in consuming 500 calories on a FD twice a week. Some weeks I would lose a lb and other weeks nothing at all on the scales, but I could see from my clothes that I was getting smaller. Those many rolls of fat became one and then the back fat started to disappear too. My progress on the scales was slow, but I had found a way of life that I could do forever where nothing was banned or bad, as the weeks became months, my food choices began to change i think from the FD choices to other days too. I have always believed that you should really enjoy what you eat on a FD and that became my mantra. Friends began to comment when I had lost 14 lb, I was upset that they hadn’t said anything before, but i suspect that my clothes were baggy and they were not sure. I got down to 10st 2lb and lost 29 inches all over. Then i did a really stupid thing and decided to have December off. In January I was 10st 12 lb!!!!So it began again and slowly the weight came off again before i repeated my December stupidity again, only this time I was 11 stone 5 lb in January 2015. Clearly I was doing something wrong. I saw the documentary about caffeine in tea, so cut down from 7/8 mugs to 3/day=35tsp/sugar that I wasn’t having, feeling better, so gave up puddings at work and found that over the months I was no longer hiding sweets to eat later. I lost weight slowly over 2015, and found that my body shape was changing more than the scales seemed to reflect. I looked carefully at Christmas food and restricted what was available to me. Next year there are things that i wont buy at all-cake/pudding/mince pies were no where near as fabulous as I remembered and were not worth the huge calorie load. I started 2016 at 10st 5lb and now that I have given up the white stuff in my tea and am generally reducing it in my diet, I am hopeful that those pink shorts will be a reality in the spring. I have dropped x3 bra sizes and x3 dress sizes, 4 inches off my waist, 4 inches off my hips, 4 inches off each thigh, 4 inches off my bust, gained an hour glass figure, muscles in my legs and arms…and teeny tiny abs!
    I am very much a work in progress, would like to shed another couple of inches off the waist and be able to wear those elusive pink shorts with ease and comfort.

What an AWESOME story! I am in awe.

I think we started out with the same body. I only hope I can end up in the same place. And if it takes 3 years — and I’ve *got* 3 years 😏– I won’t let myself get discouraged!

New plan for today: get a second pair of hand weights to keep in my bedroom so that when I’m getting up and stretching and dressing I can add a few triceps lifts to my morning routine and repeat at night.

Yesterday I just did my march up an inclined bed (12 degrees) on the treadmill for 5 minutes at 45-minute intervals. I did it at something approaching a brisk pace. I think it was the right move. I can feel the congestion in my knee receding. No point it pushing it to the point that I can’t do anything.

Let’s kill Wednesday, group! 😏

If I hadn’t been such a pig at Christmas(twice) it would have taken much much less time! I’ll have a think about all of the mistakes that I have made along the way and post a list.

Don’t worry Chubs, I call Annette a wizard so she definitely should be your hero 🙂 She is the one who kept at me about sugar, and she was right (she will give credit to this Dr. Lustig fellow, but I wasn’t buying it from him – I did trust her advice and that is why I have made so much progress in conquering the sugar demon). There are others here with remarkable progress, too – Spring has dropped 50 lbs and I’m not sure about the others who pop in and out of the island caves 🙂 But plenty of proof that 5:2 works, and lots of tips here to help us when it seems hard to us in particular. (You can read on other threads that people have trouble eating up to their tdee, and I just have to shake my head – wish I could have their leftover calories 😉

Annette I could definitely write a long list of wrong turns I make at Christmas! Even this year, without succeeding at fasting all of the time, I stayed somewhat more in control, at least some of the time. I’m sure if Abraham Lincoln had ever tried 5:2 he would agree. 🙂

Hi Jade:

Absolutely nothing against Annette, but when it comes to sugar science, I’ll go with Dr. Lustig: http://profiles.ucsf.edu/robert.lustig. He is one of the leading researchers on the topic in the world. He has led the charge against sugar with WHO and the U.S. government, and was directly responsible for those organizations lowering the ‘recommended’ dietary sugar levels. Unfortunately, there are many political considerations in determining those recommendations, but a start has been made.

Bottom line, if Annette has helped you cut down on your sugar intake, she has made a great contribution to your ongoing health.

An unusual day today. My husband had to get up at 4am so, between making his breakfast and getting him off to work, I slept in shifts. The last one didn’t conclude until almost 10:30 and I celebrated getting all that sleep by watching some TV, reading e-mail and having a leisurely hot bath. Bottom line, I only joined the living around noon. (I *should* be embarrassed to admit that but I LOVED it!)

It seemed pretty ridiculous to turn around and have lunch so another FD sorta snuck up on me.

He’s on his way home. We’ll have dinner in about 90 minutes. I’m a little hungry but it’s not something I won’t do fine waiting for.

It’s beef stew. The beef’s been braising all afternoon. It should be like butter! Just enough flour to dredge the beef in. Lots of veggies. I might try a small potato and see how I handle that.

LOL Simcoe I’m sure Annette would agree! She has simply repeated here what she read in Dr. Lustig’s book, which I didn’t quite believe until she said it worked for her. I mean, Lustig is a doctor, but Annette is a fellow binge-islander and a wizard. But yes, terrific work by him and thank heavens Annette convinced me.

Sounds like a great day, Chubster – lovely when you can catch up on sleep, isn’t it. Well done cooking the beef stew all day (love the term braising – just sounds delicious) and still waiting for dinner. You could write menus for restaurants, because the way you described it has made me hungry (EEK MUST STOP READING) 🙂 –enjoy!

It all began(the less sugar thing) when a work colleague told me about Damon Gameau in ‘that sugar book’ a very readable, bright and colourful book about a very healthy chap who decided to adopt a high sugar diet by consuming 40 tsp sugar/day in percieved healthy foods which many Australians are consuming every day. There are photos of the changes in his body, changes in blood results and they made a film. He did this for 60 days and the changes in his body are remarkable(not in a good way). He refers to Robert Lustig , which lead me to do some research, with the result that I bought ‘Fat chance, the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease by Dr Robert Lustig. He is my guru and I have mentioned both him and the the book loads of times and encouraged others to read it too. I am convinced that it makes sense, works and I feel much much better with less sugar in my diet. I have learned to shop smarter and think about what I buy, cook and feed my family on. But I am far from perfect, like a cake and will probably always like chocolate, however, I can enjoy the odd treat now without becoming a lunatic looking for my next sugar fix(I didn’t know that was what I was doing at the time) each and every day. I eat loads of nuts which I love, more whole fruit and vegetables, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, wholemeal bread, unprocessed meat for the most part, no more jar tomato sauces(learned to make my own-freeze it in family portions) and and try to get more legumes in our meals. A work colleague succumbed to my enthusiasm about Lustig, bought the book and followed the recommend foods for 2 weeks without fasting and lost an inch all over. Like me she feels much better with less sugar in her daily life.

You know, thank god for the people who do the research that arms us against the food manufacturers and their *insideous* advertising that marshals all of behavioral science against us as well!

But perhaps the highest expression of the fruits of their work is when we *internalize* it and personalize it and *become* their acolytes and the living proof of the *truth* of their work by speaking it from our own experience. I bet Dr. Lustig wouldn’t mind one tiny bit to hear annette give life to his work by recounting its effect in her own life and encouraging others. 😏

annette, one of the processed foods I still buy is tomato sauce. It’s a convenience and there are yummy ones. But you’ve inspired me to investigating making my own and canning it. I don’t have a pressure canner so I hope that won’t be necessary but I also don’t have more than the small freezer that’s part of my fridge so that isn’t a storage option for me.

Good morning, everybody! Let’s win today by losing!

Thanks LA Chubster. I felt that it was simply immoral to find out this information and not share it with all of you. I knew that I felt better and having worn Jade down, she felt better as well. It is so simple, is never going to make any money for the food industry or the diet industry either, but surely the health of a nation is worth more than that?

I have no idea what a pressure canner is. What do you add the jar tomato sauces to? Chilli and pasta with meatballs are a staple in this house(I make the meatballs and the sauce). I freeze the tomato sauce in ‘takeaway’ plastic containers from a discount shop and they are flat/plastic and stack very well in a freezer.

I searched on-ine for home made tomato sauces and us one that consists of onions/garlic/passata for the meatballs. Chilli sauce was a tin of chopped tomatoes, 3 tablespoons of tomato puree and a tin of rinsed kidney beans and then simmered. It saves me a fortune!

A pressure canner is a big specialized pressure cooker that ensures an anaerobic environment in low acid foods. High acid foods or foods you can add a lot of lemon juice or ascorbic acid to can be canned just using boiling water. That’s the method I use because it doesn’t require much in the way of special equipment — a very large stockpot, a small rack, that’s about it.

Tomatoes alone are generally considered high enough in acid to process with just a small amount of lemon juice. When you drop their natural acid by adding things like onions, herbs and garlic it isn’t considered a safe product for a water bath canning method anymore. And the flavor is wrong when you add a lot of lemon juice to it. My bit of research indicates I really shouldn’t try to can it without a pressure canner. So, bummer! No go!

I guess I can still make it in small batches. It doesn’t take all that long.

I have never believed that tomato sauce needs any sugar. I add a spoonful of sugar to my salad dressings to balance out the acid in the vinegar or citrus and don’t feed very bad about that considering how many grains will actuallyl end up in a whole salad. But if I can eliminate sugar from tomato sauce — which I use a lot — that would make it worthwhile to make my own.

I always did when I was younger. …and I make a pretty mean tomato sauce. But then commercial sauces came along that were really very tasty and meant I could go on making what I was putting the tomato sauce *in*. But I can pull up my big girl panties and cook a little more.

I am NOT a fan of processed foods! It’s part what it does to our bodies and part just the quest for honest, really flavorful food. And then it’s fortified by the disappointment I experience when I think I’ll just try something that looks good and find how NOT it really is.

You carry on sharing your story and your point of view!!! We have MUCH to learn from your success and endurance!

Goodness, so much to learn!
    I sweat the onions, add the crushed garlic, tomato puree and tomato passata in a large pot with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes, the meatballs go back in and it is simmered again for another 10 minutes while the pasta cooks. If I make a loads, then I let it cool, divide it into freezer boxes/label/freeze. Then I just take it out of the freezer the night before we need it and leave it in the fridge. Saves time/money and tastes much better than the jar stuff without all of those spoons of sugar.

Try this salad dressing- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard all on a small jam jar with a lid. Shake together and pour over salad. I love it and never use anything else.

We never ate much processed food, but we all much prefer brown rice. It takes longer to cook but tastes better and is much more filling.

PS Oh YES!!! The savings on what you make yourself are tremendous!

The price the soft drink companies have the *nerve* to charge for sweetened water favored with chemicals is what made me give up a lifetime habit of drinking soda by the six-pack. I haven’t regretted that for a second!

I do sometimes miss the feeling of carbonation on my tongue but Pellegrino mineral water takes care of that for me.

I do a variety of dressings. Some creamy with mayo and buttermilk. Some based on a vinaigrette like yours.

I like some mashed anchovy in there and lots of herbs, garlic and finely minced sundried tomatoes. …and just a spoonful of sugar. It’s an indulgence. Maybe one day I’ll give it up. But I think that tiny bit is worth it for me. 😏 I’m talking 8-10 ounces of finished dressing, only a small part of which ends up on a salad, so it’s really negligible.

Hi All, I need to go ‘arghhh’ at myself and I think you guys might understand. I’m late 40s and in Australia. I started 12 months ago – and just hit my 20kg off milestone last week (probably about 15kg still to go). Yay me and this really does work!! I’ve been a lurker now and again on these forums whenever I’ve needed some positive reinforcement. But to ‘celebrate’ my anniversary and my milestone I binged for a week and am now 4kg up and finding it tough to get back on the wagon. Not sure whether I was celebrating or testing the boundaries of it ‘really, really’ working. Very frustrated at myself. Chocolate is my weakness but I’ll eat anything that’s in the house when I’m on that downward spiral. Anybody got positive stories of getting themselves refocussed after going back to the dark side?

Oh yeah! You’re in the right place, PinkHouses.

I think we’ve all probably got stories like that. I took off a similar amount of weight (different method) about 5 years ago. Kept it off for about 2 years. Then, just as you said, I either was “celebrating” or testing those limits (great way to put it!) or just thinking I “deserved” to take a break and be a “little” indulgent and put it all back on.

It took me 3 years to come to grips with myself. I dearly hope it won’t take you as long. I was ridiculous to put myself through being so unattractive and uncomfortable and bereft of clothing choices for such a long time. And unhappy in the bargain because I had those round-the-clock cravings going on all the time no matter what or how much I ate. 😡

What I did was start with a 2 day fast to clean myself out and reset all my cravings. A week before Christmas. While I was doing that I found this 5:2 method and it’s been smooth sailing since. And that includes Christmas dinner and all the holiday goodies that I made myself!

Everybody has to start again so you might as well do it with such a friendly encouraging group, no? And you’re already ahead of the game because you *know* you can do it if you just get started again.

How do you do intermittent fasting? What worked for you before? How do you plan to get started now? We’re with you!

Hey PinkHouses! Congrats on your success so far! Yes it really does work. Even when we fall off the horse, it’s right there ready for us to get back on. So yes, we aren’t always well behaved (ha, there is an understatement). The fact that 5:2 doesn’t require me to ride the horse 7 days a week makes it so much more doable.
    Chubster, I have a feeling Dr. L would be pleased to have Annette as an ally (as am I 🙂 ) – I didn’t doubt that sugar wasn’t good for me, but when Annette “wore me down” lol (you did indeed) it was by example and from someone who has walked in my shoes. That made a big difference.
    I too have found that cooking from scratch is cheaper – I used to buy bagged cabbage, for example, then found that one head of cabbage would make TONS of slaw. And it stays fresh much longer while waiting to be cut. And surprise! OH is finding he likes brown rice – last night we had it and he just asked “is this rice cooked? it’s a little crunchy” and God love him I just said “yes” and he nodded and said it was delicious. I suppose I could feed him shredded glass and he would eat it if I told him it was OK.
    Chubs, I find that adding garlic or balsamic vinegar often adds the sweetness instead of sugar. I too miss the carbonation, but weirdly I find that I don’t like carbonation the less sugar I have. BUT when I have sugar all of a sudden I want a Diet Coke. Right? Weird.
    Gosh this week was long! So glad tomorrow is Friday – happy TGIF all 🙂 xx

Morning All,
    Another FD done. I was watching a programme last night (Trust me I am a doctor) which suggested that as a result of our own gut microbes, different foods could make our blood sugar soar BUT it was possible to change our gut microbes by diet! I am going to see if I can find out anything more about this here in the UK.

I am sure that white bread(an occasional treat) sends my blood sugar sky rocketing because I then just look for anything and everything to eat. So, do we have different triggers that we are identifying?

PinkHouses-welcome. Did you see that I put on 10lb each Christmas(apart from the last one?) That was down to thinking about what I liked to eat, looking at the sugar content and then choosing a limited amount that was in the house. The worst thing about a FD is thinking about it, just do 1 next week and 2 the following….have a look at your diet the other 5 days and see what improvements you can make(less sugar, less processed etc) and I am sure that you will feel much better.

It is a marathon and not a sprint. None of us got overweight, overnight and we simply have to make some changes to what we eat and scrutinize how much we are eating. I don’t drink(it makes me feel rubbish).

I like cooking and have never been able to afford to buy pre-prepared meals for us but the simple act of ditching tomato jar sauces, swapping to brown rice and pasta has made a big difference to our diet, I feel better and far less at risk of bingeing. My youngest son has developed an interest in cooking recently and will chop/peel/crush/pour/stir alongside me, which is rather lovely. Your husband sounds lovely Jade.

Good morning from Tinsel Town, Ladies!

re: gut flora having impact on our behavior and our lives:

Have you heard of the research into fecal donations, annette? It’s as exciting as it is gross. The idea is that we could actually “catch” wellness like we catch illness based on how our guts are colonized. Up to this point they have instilled “good” fecal matter directly into test subjects but the newest generation is (hope no one’s having brekkie!) fecal pills.

Regardless of how outrageous it sounds I think it’s very exciting and potentially promising. It would be equally exciting to think we could change the environments in our own guts by eating properly.

I can say, in my own experience, the change in my behavior when I eat what I call “clean” is enormous. I may have the *intent* to control my behavior around food but the difference is that when I cut out sugars and grains and other trigger foods I *do* control it. And I am *able* to control it because the overwhelming cravings that *never* corresponded to my metabolic needs are *gone*.

That strikes me as not a matter of voluntary behavior or will power or intent or even an intellectual evaluation of what’s “good for me” but something *physical* that has undergone a powerful transformation.

PS (and sorry to be long winded) (as though I’m not *always* long winded 😧)

One more thought about physical changes: I’m a chronic asthmatic. Have been for more than 30 years. I’ve had many hospitalizations from it and I’ve been on steroid inhalers for all of that time. Last week I stopped using my inhaler. My lungs have never been clearer despite the increased physical activity.

Something *is* going on in my body.

Congrats on the FD Annette! I like the idea that we can actually change these internal “sensitivities” – yep, all sorts of weirdly fascinating gross stuff is in the news and I love it. I mean, bacteria, where would we expect to find it, right? Just please not in my burrito bowl. And indeed, “control” is no longer such an effort. I’d say it’s a normal effort, which has been my main target – just to be normal. No one would suspect I am not, I’m close to goal now and thanks to 5:2 have not regained the whole batch this time, but like almost every other woman I know, I’ve always been on a diet, all my life it has been a struggle and I have gotten good and effing tired of it.

And holy ^&**cowz Chubs that is GREAT about your asthma. When I first started reading your post above, I was already thinking that I hoped fasting/lifestyle changes would help. And look at you! Fantastic that you can stop using the inhaler, just freaking fantastic.

Annette, I have to pinch pennies, too, but I think it’s good karma that a lot of what we do out of economic necessity is so much better for us. And by us, I mean US, the weird us, the sugar/flour/whatever-obsessed misfit islanders. I swear I haven’t been this happy about a lifestyle change since going through “the” change (the good parts of it, that is).

Chubs please do be as long-winded as you like – love hearing all your news and thoughts and look forward to more. Off to enjoy some outdoor time with OH now – thank heavens for extra days off that don’t have to be chore days. xx

Hey PinkHouses! Did today go better? I hope so.

Yay for one more FD behind you, annette!

And YAY for you too, JadeLark, to be close to your goal. I didn’t realize you had already made that much progress. What will we do to celebrate when you get there? Considering having the # of pounds and inches you lost tattooed on your forehead? 😈

Yes, sooo thrilled if I can stay off the steroids. They’re so terrible on the body and at times I’m inhaling them through my mouth AND my nose AND slopping it on my skin. Speaking of which, my sinuses are more clear than they’ve been in ages and my psoriasis is also improved.

Chubs if I actually can make the goal and stay there for say, a month, I think a tattoo of the word “NORMAL” would be fitting. HA!

Having a tough time already this morning, after a few wines that inner lizard is tempting me with carbs. No thank you, lizard. I’m off for my Saturday chores and errands so that I can stay out of the darn kitchen. Cheers and happy weekend! xx

I’m *sure* you can do it, kiddo, if you’ve gone the long haul and gotten to this point. Are you thinking about a maintenance plan? How long has your successful effort been?

Today’s a fast day. I’m going to a Greek cooking class at the local Whole Foods. LOVE Greek food! I look forward to learning the secret of those yummy lemon potatoes that I won’t be able to have and the secret for that melt-in-your-mouth lamb. Also got to ask if a real Greek salad needs anchovies. I’m sure it should but no one on the West Coast seems to even consider it and if you ask for anchovies they think you’re nutz…

PinkHouses, are you out there? How’s it going?

Ha Jade,
    Where are you going to have the tattoo??!!! Not a fan of Greek food Chubs, but have a lovely time.

I am off out to a belated Burns Night Do with a Ceilidh this evening. I am not sure what to wear, it needs to be something that will allow me to move freely but also look smart and my dresses are too big across the shoulders now. My slender friend commented on how jealous she was of my small shoulders. It did explain why my jumpers were sliding off my shoulder(another donation to the charity shop). I went out and bought some smart jeans today, so i could wear them, need to wear flat shoes and it is really chilly here. I have tried on lots of dresses today and they either look dreadful because they don’t fit me, too long or ‘too young’, just not sure how much arm I want to expose.

I tried on the pink shorts, it may take until the end of February to get anywhere near comfortable! Never mind, onwards and downwards fast friends.

Chubs- my psoriasis has all but gone too, scalp much better as well.I am not the least bit surprised that your asthma is much improved, if that alone doesn’t keep you on this way of life, then nothing will!

How about a shawl or a smart jacket over the dress you like best? If there’s a sleeveless dress you would like with a blazer or something it would show off those attractive shoulders in the warmer months to come. And it’s only February so no doubt you’re going to be rocking those shorts by the time it’s warm enough to be in them.

I’m so jealous. I probably won’t be where you and JadeLark are until this time *next* year. Oh well, I feel sooooo much better already that that’s its own reward. 😏

I’m PROUD of you both!!!🏆

Annette, I had to google what you were doing but it sounds like great fun! I know what you mean about getting things to fit. I’m not a standard mfr shape (I have actual hips) – plus I am short. Clothes shopping is frustrating & exhausting! But I hope you have a grand time dancing. I think we should get matching tattoos. And good point Chubster, those pink shorts need a few months anyway.

Trust me, Chubster, you’ll love shrinking no matter how long it takes. AND you’ll enjoy so many benefits while that’s going on. I have done 5:2 since last March, and now I have fewer digestion problems, fewer skin problems (a nasty rash is no longer bothering me), and I just feel relieved that I finally learned what’s up with certain carbs and have found a way to make peace with weight control. It is ridiculous it took this long, but better late than never.

Off for dog walking on this very mild winter afternoon – xxx

I should say…that whole “making peace with weight control” is still in the rather frosty detente stages. Peace talks ongoing 🙂

Just home. The wine didn’t help with me knowing my left from my right! We had a ‘caller’to talk us through each dance before we started, it is quite an aerobic work out!
    Went with the smart black jeans and long sleeved top. Wasn’t over nor under dressed so perfect. There is a discount shop which has jeans that fit-hurray, tops/dresses are more of a challenge as I am also short with hips and a bust. I don’t know what my tattoo should say…

Jade you do make me laugh. Same here plenty of frosty detente here too!

Shouldn’t have had that glass of wine..no the last one.

Hello!

My first post.

I am also a binge eater. I have been since childhood (I’m 43 now). I have been very overweight for about 20 years and recently my weight hit 19 Stone, my BMI is 41 and I have the usual collection of weight related illnesses.

My binge eating was (is) bad. I was regularly stuffing 3-4000 calories in my mouth as quickly as possible. My weakness is chocolate,crisps and high fat carb rich food. Breakfast at times was 2 McDonald’s Breakfasts (double sausage and extra hash browns), 6 bars of chocolate, 2 bags of crisps and a large latte. On a bad day I could follow that with a footlong subway and then have dinner when my partner came home from work. I would hide what I’d eaten during the day, so had to eat normally at night to pretend I hadn’t eaten much. I was hiding food and the evidence of my binge. I was stealing food even stealing money to buy food.

I have tried to diet and have lost 2-3 stone but the temptation to binge was too great. 1 bad day would turn into a bad week then a bad month and I would put the weight back on again – and then some.

At the start of the year I weighed myself using my Wii balance board. I have used the Wii to record my weight for the last 5 years. I like how it keeps a record and shows progress on a graph. I was 258 lbs. I want to lose 90 lbs this year.

I have decided to try Alternate Day Fasting (ADF). I started on the 3rd of January. I eat between 2000-2500 cal on eating days and 500 on fast days. I track everything I eat on MyFitnessPal and wear a fitbit to monitor my activity level. I stand on the scale every morning after I go to the toilet. I also weight myself every 8 days using the Wii and track my progress on an Excel spreadsheet.

In week one I lost 5 lbs. I was very happy with a 5 lb loss after 8 days. I know I can’t maintain that level of weight loss, but it was a good start. The fast days were surprisingly OK. I didn’t cheat and didn’t suffer any major side effects. My eating day average for the 4 days was 2321 cal. My fasting day average for the 4 days was 603 cal. I did have a McDonald’s breakfast once as well as a couple of chocolate bar and a few bags of crisps. I ate food I enjoyed.

The following week I lost 3 lbs. I focused that week on trying to lower my fasting day calories to nearer 500. The average for 4 days was 543 calories. Again I had no real problems with the fasting days. I am eating an M&S Be Good to Yourself or Balanced for You ready meal with about 350-450 cal and a Muller Lite yogurt as a snack. My eating days are a pleasure! I do not restrict myself to what I can eat, although I do track the calories and try to stay under 2500.

Last week I lost 4 lbs. I found this week slightly more difficult though. I struggled on a couple of fast days but managed to overcome the desire to cheat. I was very careful on fast days and got my calories down to an average of 512 a day. Eating days were lower – at about 2150 calories for the 3 days I tracked. The other day was my Birthday and I ate a lot! It was a real celebration with chocolate and crisps and burgers and fries and ….. loads! I estimate about 5-6000 calories at least! I think that is why I am so happy with a 4lb loss. That is from the Wii. The other scales had me 1 lb lighter than that! CHUFFED!!

So in total I have lost 12 lbs so far. Only 78 to go!

Alternate Day Fasting works well for me because I don’t have to wait for weeks or months to have the food I crave – I can have it tomorrow (in moderation)!

I hope to post on a regular basis and I will be looking for help and support when things eventually and inevitably start to get difficult. I admit I have only skimmed this topic, but It looks like the right place for me!

Sorry for the long first post.

What a FANTASTIC story! That is a bang up beginning! And I am looking forward to hearing more in coming days.

I started just a couple weeks before you and I’ll also be at this for a good long time. But it feels good and I think I can do it.

I’m betting you can too as this early evidence promises!

Thanks for the welcome Chubster, Jade and Annette. It’s interesting Chubster – when you asked what worked and what didn’t – I DO know exactly what works and what doesn’t but for some reason I’m doing the opposite. I think it really is a pushing the boundaries thing – how much can I binge and get away with? Little binges seem OK – big binges that last days on end not so much. 🙁 And if any binges involve chocolate they get out of hand real quick.
    As the meme goes – “I have removed all the bad food from the house. It was delicious.” – um, yep the binge continued on Friday. I limited it to a 3 hour window yesterday though which I guess was a step in the right direction. I’ve eaten better food today (I’m trying to be friends with cottage cheese) but … the days not over.
    On a positive note I’m determined for a fresh start and a good fast tomorrow. I’ll keep up with reading this forum but will probably only post every few days (too hard from my phone so need to use my laptop).
    Hi squircle – well done on your ADF. 🙂

Welcome squircle. If you want to speed up the weight loss, reduce the desire to binge and improve the quality of food that you eat then there a few changes that will make a big difference to how you feel now but will also help in the future to maintain the weight loss.
    pinkhouses, we have all been there. If you want to change the binge/self-loathing cycle then making some changes to what you eat will make a big difference. I hate cottage cheese-we will never be friends. Write down what you eat/drink for a week and tot up the calories every day, comparing them to your TDEE. The very act of keeping a log will reduce the amount of scoffing and will allow you to see which are the calorific foods.
    I haven’t forgotten you to Chubster. This is not a diet, but a way of life. If you want to lose weight/keep it off then changes have to be made on how much you eat, but will be helped hugely by what you eat. Nothing weird/expensive/things that you don’t like/impossible to incorporate in daily life or evenings out.
    Robert Lustig-Fat chance, the hidden truth about sugar, obesity and disease is my guru(apologies to all those who have heard me mention him before) and he dismantles the usual diet myths, explains how we get fat and how/why our biochemistry drives us to eat the sweet stuff and to binge. He also suggests that what we eat can change the cycle of bingeing. If you can avoid processed food(ready meals/KFC/McDonalds etc) and cook from scratch you will find that you will probably feel much much better without all of that hidden sugar and everything else. Think about eating wholegrain bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, cheese, eggs, nuts, fish, fruit and vegetables and unprocessed meat. If you don’t eat beans or lentils then try and get these into your diet. He claims that fibre and exercise(anything that makes you sweat) will help reverse the damage. Avoid anything labelled ‘diet’ or ‘low fat’ as they are usually stuffed full of sugar-which seems to drive the bingeing. Note that I don’t say ‘never’ just avoid. Try it for a week, see how you feel and if you are aware of a decrease in the bingeing. But before you do, measure your vital statistics and look to a decreasing waistline. We have found that there are some foods that drive us to eat more of just about everything. For me, white bread (which was an occasional treat) turns me into a complete lunatic who will scoff anything that is not nailed down!

My challenge to you, is to try it for a week, just 7 little days. Anyone up for it?

Squircle,

Looks like you have your fast days working pretty well!! Just need to tweak your non fast days. Try and get rid of one of your “sugar” foods each fast day and replace it with something non sugar. Lets say your first one is chocolate. That’s a no go. OK so you can still binge on the others. Next its chocolate and chips. Third fast day its chocolate, chips, burgers etc. Give it a try. Or try some other pattern. If you can ween yourself off the sugar you’ll go a long way to succeeding as youre already romping in your fast days. Give it a go. Then post your success on here!! To quote a famous add, Just Do It.

YAY!!! New blood! So happy to have company in this little “war” against the urges. 😏

“I have removed all the bad food from the house. It was delicious.”

I almost busted a gut over this one, PinkHouses. But now that it’s gone you’re ready, right! So if you’ve removed the triggers might as well dig in and get started. 😏 I, personally, have always started with 2 days of fasting. There’s a certain amount of white knuckling involved but by the time I’ve gotten through that I feel better right away and it quiets my inner ravenous beast. I do a water fast and by the time I’ve gotten it done not only is the rest easier but I gain a new appreciation of what I’m capable of. Maybe it would be helpful for you but, by all means, see what is right to set you up for success.

I’ve been eating this way (5:2) for 6 weeks now and I’ve had uncomfortable *moments* but I haven’t had one of those obsessive crazy-making ideations about food since I started. That’s not bragging BTW. It’s meant as an *assurance* that if you identify your trigger foods and stick to all the rest of the food on the planet that *aren’t* triggers wonderful things will start to happen to you!

How about telling us which intermittent fasting method you each plan to try first and what your goals are? Have you got supportive people in your lives?

So glad you had fun and felt fashionable at Burns Day, annette! Wish you had some video to share. 😏 Do you have some Scottish heritage or was it just a fun event?

So I got through my first FD for this week pretty well. I got those gastric juices pumping around lunchtime and had some chicken broth right away instead of being miserable all day first. I read something about capsicum reducing hunger and amping up metabolism so I put some sriracha in it. Then, at dinner, I had a large glass of tomato juice with sriracha too. I had to hold my nose and drank the broth but the spicy tomato juice was really nice. And the interesting thing is that, while I can scarf down a huge meal in 15 minutes without trying, I sat over my juice really enjoying it for 45 minutes.

Couldn’t actually say if the sriracha did anything about my hunger. Has anyone here ever heard the capsicum thing?

In the end, tho it wasn’t a water fasting day, I kept it to under 100 calories and there were no cravings to eat more. One more day today and then I’m going to try a pair of smaller jeans. I may or may not be ready to move down but I know I will fit in those 14s soon. 😏 And for those who don’t know that’s down from 20s the week before Christmas. 🎉

I went to the Greek cooking class yesterday. That was interesting. And I brought my samples home and wrapped them up to wait until Monday for me. I’ll enjoy trying them but I didn’t feel the least bit deprived not to be nibbling with everyone else in the class.

I also had to use my asthma inhaler again. I heard some “crinkly” sounds in my breathing and I thought it would be better to stop them flat. So I’m *reducing* from 2 puffs at a time to 1 and when I see my doctor I’ll ask for a lower steroid inhaler (I’ve been on the max strength for 4 or 5 years).

Let’s all have a great day today! Whatever you’re having, enjoy it!

Hey Pink, glad you are sticking with us – and welcome Squircle (squirrel running in a circle?) – well done! Thank you for telling your story, long posts are more than welcome here. This group all has rather long stories behind our appetite issues, and nothing helps more than laying it out there and getting advice from those who’ve walked the same path.

Squircle you might really like the Brain Over Binge book – whether her advice would help you or not, her story is riveting. It’s also one of those helpful “if she can do it, I can too” inspirations. I have Annette for that here, too – she was the first Islander to walk Dr. Lustig’s no-sugar road and, after she recounted the gradual change in her appetite, week after week, I finally decided to follow her. Lately my efforts haven’t resulted in weight losses, but my food issues are many faceted, so I’m happy to learn about how to eat normally and get a grip on my sweet tooth in the meantime.

Annette, glad you had fun last night! Glad your outfit turned out to be just right – I love being right in the middle of the under-over-dressed crowd too, like I’m the cool kid who knew exactly what to wear :). And wonderful exercise as well – perfect.

Pink, like you I know what I should do, much more so than before 5:2, but I deliberately ignore it sometimes. Like last night, with some chocolate that I probably would not have wanted had I had a big glass of lemon water. Well, no one said we were perfect. But armed with the right info, we are a lot less unperfect that we were.

Chubster you really are on a roll. Amazing that you went to a cooking class and simply wrapped up the food to have TWO DAYS LATER. Impressive resolve right there. And good for you for having sense to know when you need a bit of the inhaler. IF can improve many health issues, it’s true, but this isn’t some kind of faith-healing experience (as I wrote above, we’re better but not perfect). Here’s hoping you can continue to lower the dose. Hey yes I’ve heard about hot spices helping reduce appetite, though I’ve never noticed whether they had that effect on me. Lemons, now, that’s a totally different thing. I guess when it works, you can tell. My main problem has always been the sweets, not really overeating other stuff, so maybe I’m a weird duck. I belong on Misfit Island that’s for sure.

I love all the new voices, but where is the lovely Spring and mcca and the island’s founder, Queen? I miss you all. Hope you are doing all right. I’m on a FD here to regulate my weekend noshing – kind of tough on a Sunday. Surely I can gut it out if Chubs can do what she has already done. Cheers — jade xx

Chubster, sorry – just reread your post and forgot to say before…WOW, size 20s before Christmas and barely a month later looking to the 14s. How absolutely fantastic! Everything else you’ve written here, by the way, is like a primer on how to do IF despite some binge issues. I’ve read a few comments that warned IF could cause worse binges, but you nailed it – if triggers are identified, then the rest starts to fall into place. Well, let’s rephrase – if triggers are identified and then avoided 🙂 – but knowledge is power. xx

Viewing 50 posts - 1,701 through 1,750 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.