I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
I am a binger – any info on fasting and bingeing

This topic contains 3,042 replies, has 111 voices, and was last updated by  Delayedgratification 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 3,046 total)

• Afternoon Fasters!

I had a successful FD yesterday after a 2 day binge fest. Weird thing was I was not craving sweets just everything else. :-\

Jade – I’m sure you’ve got this!

I abandoned yesterday’s fast as I was feeling tired,achy and grumpy but quite proud I did it gracefully – with salad and soup – which is all good. Next three days are going to difficult as we are out for lunch and evening both. Oh well fasting on Monday it is. Have a good weekend one and all xx

Ps you can definitely be forgiven whatever you want to eat after a funeral; so sad for you and their loved ones.

Happy Friday Fast Clubbers!

First meal of the day: Oatmeal w/ sliced almonds @ 12:30. (Passed up the breakfast burritos, Yea!)

3rd day in a row to feel in control. Wish it was this easy all the time.

Stay strong fasters! Think fresh & moderation!

Hi Michel – I’ve missed you. Glad the FD went well! Sometimes they just hit the spot after a bingey day. I feel really golden – as though everything is right with me – when real food is what I really want.

That was my FD yesterday. I made a yummy chili with ground turkey, lentils, black beans, and the usual suspects. Probably didn’t end up a true FD, but no junk.

Annette, I’ve found that alcohol triggers my sweet tooth. For me, I’m sure it’s a connection with whatever trait causes alcoholism. Several in my family are alcoholics; weirdly, wine makes me want cake, not more wine. I guess it could be worse!

My new mantra: Relax and just say less (not no). Half my battle is not CAUSING cravings with my own restrictions.

OMG it’s Friday!!! Happy weekend all- xx

Good afternoon all. Good to hear of the progress Nose and Michell and Jade. All doing amazing things keeping boats afloat in these sometime treacherous waters. Okay, maybe a bit dramatic, but I’m in that kind of a mood πŸ™‚

I had a revelation recently. Fasting was not doing it for me anymore and while FD’s had become easier again (go figure) my non-fast days just seemed to be more and more a ‘catch-up-on-everything-you-didn’t-eat-yesterday-plus-a-bit-more’ to make up for the previous day’s restriction. So, taking my cue from Einstein πŸ˜‰ I’ve decided to do something different and I’m going to follow a weight-watchers-style approach for a fortnight and see if I can reassure my body that it’s really not going to die and I do not need to compensate for imminent starvation by being a pig every second day.

It was amazing just how much more relaxed and calm I felt around food, almost immediately, and it definitely feels like the right choice. I’m very determined not to put back all the weight I lost but it has been a real battle lately so I’m bringing in the reinforcements! Wish me luck – I will definitely remain here on the Island though as you are all so awesome at keeping me accountable. Spring xx

Morning Islanders!

I took the healthy eating suggestion to heart and bought all kinds of fresh stuff, including fruit (sorry Annette).
    I’m hoping to feast on fresh instead of processed when the next attach is upon me. As we often say “I can’t eat it if it’s not here”. I figured out that works both ways: can’t eat sweets of I don’t buy them and I can’t eat fresh off I don’t buy it. Duh!

Jade – Your chili sounds delish!
    Good luck with “less”. I think it is human nature to crave that which we are denied. That’s a battle I don’t need.

Spring – I hope you have found what works for you.

I can identify with your fasting struggle. I believe fasting has contributed to my increase in bingeing episodes, but I also believe in the benefits of fasting. (Beyond weight loss) It is tough to figure out how to move forward. But I’m in a good place today and going with it…

Stay strong and in control!

Hi Michell-fresh fruit/vegetables/brown rice/wholewheat pasta/cheese/unprocessed meat/cream/whole grains/beans are all what we should be eating according to Lustig and avoiding the processed food. Try eating more beans and lentils-they fill you up and are very good for you.

Spring-whatever works for you. Try putting lentils in food on a NFD-they are very filling and have really helped me to both feel full and to stop me bingeing.

Jade- really interesting about the effects of alcohol.

Nose-just do your best but enjoy yourself. Thanks for your comments regarding the funeral.

My weight/measurements are the same but clothes that didn’t fit, do now and some are looking a little loose. Lustig suggests that weight and BMI are not accurate indicators of health, he advocates the tape measure and waist measurement as the most accurate as that will show a decrease or increase in visceral fat-the scary stuff.

Morning lovelies!! Thanks for the feedback on my decision to not fast for a while. I know it’s exactly the right thing at the moment because suddenly, overnight almost, I’m feeling SO much more relaxed around food and that is such a relief. Gaining and losing the same 5lbs for the last 4 months has frankly been exhausting not to mention very demoralising, so even a break from that pressure will be welcome.

Jade, I hope you are relaxed there in your island cave? Do drop in an give us an update though sweetie – I miss you!

Michell, thanks for the comments and I’m with you on the fresh all the way. The house is currently purged of the bad! I still want to move further from a morally-laden attitude to food though – rationally I know that food is not intrinsically ‘good’ or ‘bad’ but there are definitely healthier choices.

Annette, thanks for the tip although as an old hippy I’ve been eating lentils since before they were trendy!! I’m glad the clothing is showing you that your efforts are paying off.

Normally today would be a FD so it was ironic that because of what I needed to do today I ended up having a 1km swim first thing and then not having breakfast till 11:30am. Happy fasting or food-wrangling or whatever approach you are currently using in your quest for health. Spring xx

Hi all – ducking out of my cave for a spell πŸ™‚ You won’t believe it but there is no diet Coke in here!! WTF, I’m actually drinking water and not dying.

So my strategy to do as little as possible is working – I’m doing as little as possible! One success – I might have kicked the diet drink habit. Except that now I’ve said it, the sirens will likely sound the alarm that I MUST HAVE THAT THING NOW THAT I THOUGHT I NO LONGER LIKED. Maybe not….

I’ve been having “feast before famine” approach to FDs, unfortunately. In fact just now, considering whether tomorrow would be a FD, I thought “welp, better go have that peanut butter cup before bed.” Not much of a scientist am I. So, like you Spring I’ve been tossing the same few pounds back and forth for a while.

Anyway, instead of going for the candy, I decided to check in here – and all you lovely people were talking about lentils and such. Spoilsports πŸ™‚ But I’ve also been stocking up on the whole foods, especially fruit. Gotta say it’s not too shabby. Somehow I’ve been through this whole Sunday with no candy cookies etc. That could be a first. Surely ironic!

Better get myself to bed before things turn south. It’s hectic here with so many papers to grade, closing in on the end of the semester and holiday time.

Happy Monday to all on the Island, whatever is up your sleeves today. I may let the day surprise me. Glad to see there are some nice surprises lately – not at the scale perhaps but in choices that don’t seem as hard. Let’s look for all the sunshine we can. xxx jade

Quick note before bed

This is this first weekend in a long time that I have felt in control of my appetite. Not enough to have lost any weight but maybe I didn’t gain my usual 4-6 lbs.

Hubby is appreciating having fresh fruit on hand and the green smoothies I made helped keep my sweet tooth quiet. Now if we can cut back on the tortilla chips.

Spring – Congrats on finding something that works for you. Keep up the good work.

Here’s hoping everyone finds what works for them and we all reach our goals!

Night Fasters!

No fasting today.
    Oatmeal for breakfast. I added apples, raisins & sliced almonds. After adding some apple pie spice it tasted amazing. We had roasted veggies for dinner.

So basically except for the chips & hummus I did pretty good today.

Jade – Ditching the diet coke? Great move, your kidneys will thank you.
    Sounds like you have found balance in the cave. Keep up the good work.

Good luck to everyone fasting tomorrow!

Well done Michell, what a star with all that good, yummy food you’ve been eating. And Hummus can definitely be wholefood although I can’t mount much of a defence for the tortilla chips πŸ˜‰

Jade, you cracked me up with the “Oh, fasting tomorrow, I’d better eat….” as I’ve also done that more than a few times. I’m glad you’re doing this your way and in your time and I’d love to visit you in the cave for a glass of cool, iced water…

I’m doing grand and can already feel I’ve lost weight since I decided to take a break from fasting. I have to go and see my doctor next week about my blood pressure so I’m hoping for a clean bill of health and some weight loss to boot.

I’m making a mushroom risotto with a green salad for dinner tonight with fresh watermelon to follow – bon appΓ©tit!! Spring xx

Hello Everyone,
    The wheels came off after my last post. It all started after finding a bag of dry roasted peanuts…then I ate rather too many, followed by an almond croissant, some ice cream and a large bar of chocolate. I felt lousy, very tired and sluggish….craving for the next fix.
    I was disappointed after 3 weeks of avoiding sugar, but reminded myself that it was simply my biochemistry, that all was not lost and I also learned that the chocolate and the croissant were not as good as my memory, so it might be easier to avoid in the future. The ice cream was just as lovely though!

So the plan is just to avoid sugar and to eat whole foods, avoiding processed where I can. So far, so good.

It sounds as if you are all doing well and trying different approaches certainly seems to be working. Good luck fast friends.

Darn, I wrote a long post and poof, it vanished. In a nutshell, yesterday I fell off the applecart and into the Reese’s cart. But managed to turn the day from sugar fest into a whole-foods fest (PB on wholegrain bread, my version of “health-food junk”). The scale called me names this morning. But surprise, my appetite has been quite all day.

I’m not attempting a FD, just trying to keep to whole food instead of turning into Mr. Hyde gobbling the peanut butter cups. I shall try to join all of you at the health table tonight. Spring and Michel, wow listen to you two make good food sound so delicious. Wish I could join you for mushroom risotto with a side of apple-pie-spiced oatmeal. Instead I’ll probably settle for frozen soup and a side of grapes.

Annette, sorry to hear you had a similar experience! Hoping we all can learn from these lapses. I also found the sugar way too sweet, though somehow that does not keep me from eating the second bite (and third, and fourth) just to make sure πŸ™‚

I’ll have a fresh jug of lemon ice water in the cave for drop-in company. Cheers! xxx jade

Afternoon Fasters!

I tried to make good choices today at lunch. I went with veggie soup, half a tuna sandwich & baked chips. I was feeling pretty good until I entered it all in MFP. I only have 500 cal left for the day! I haven’t used MFP in weeks, now I remember why……it’s depressing!

Spring – I’m so happy WW is working for you.
    Good luck at the Docs.
    Your dinner sounds delish! Enjoy!

Annette – That Sugar Kraken is a sneaky bit##. Just when you think you got it all figured out here she comes. Sounds like you have already put the wheels back on and climbed back in the wagon on the road to a little black dress.

It may not always feel like it, but we are in control!

Jade – Sorry we crossed.
    Congrats on changing the direction of your eating. You sound like you are really doing good.
    Eating all healthy stuff, all the time is hard.

Stay Strong Islanders!

Woot! I just said “No” to a free DQ Dilly Bar.
    Calories saved =220

I love you all, such wonderful ‘picker-upperers’ as my dear mum would say. It doesn’t matter how many times you fall down as long as you pick yourself up and keep going. Annette, Jade and Michell, you’re all great examples of picker-upperers for sure πŸ™‚ great going on knocking back the Dilly bar Michell (whatever that is!) and I’ll be calling into the cave later today Jade.

In the spirit of accountability I had a mini-binge last night too and it involved my son being home last night and opening a bag of dark-chocolate covered scorched almonds (I had to help him finish them) and that was followed by a cup of the world’s best ice-cream (Maggie Beer’s Burnt Fig, Honeycomb & Caramel – I know, insane right??!!). However, I did manage to limit the damage and today I feel okay again and have spent extra time this morning making sure I have all the right food with me at work.

I’d better get my days work started but leaving you all with strong vibes for success in whatever is working for you right now. Spring xx

Hello lovely Islanders – one more check-in before bed. Spring, you always make me feel better – thank you. And wow, I’ve heard of women living together whose cycles synchronize, but here we are all across the globe, falling off the wagon at the same time. I’m not sure what to think about that, but it’s nice to have company.

Oh man, I’m not sure I could pass up a Dilly bar, Michel, nice going! Spring, it’s a circle of vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate, on a stick. Obviously no one has ever hired me for my advertising prowess, I mean that’s really all it is, but they are soooo good. I’m glad I don’t live close to a Dairy Queen because I could do some real justice to one right now.

OK, moving on – it’s been a good day here. Brown rice and chili for dinner, am I virtuous or what?! I believe that’s a foodie version of 10 Hail Marys and an Act of Contrition. The Reese’s indiscretion should be all forgiven now.

So what do you think about this: my dentist told me today that my gums looked fantastic. This passes for a compliment, at my age. Anyway, could better eating be the cause? I guess it hasn’t hurt. My dentist is smart enough not to comment on anyone’s weight, so that’s all I got out of him.

OK, time to go grade some more papers and suck down some lemon water. Sweet dreams or happy Wednesday, wherever you all are. xxx jade

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Fasting today, 1st time in a week.

Spring – Maybe you can make last night your splurge of the week. We have to be able to enjoy family time, otherwise what’s the point? Besides it sounds like you have planned to repent by prepping your food choices.

Jade – I know what you mean when you say “at my age”. Any time a professional says something is looking good – I feel pleased. As I’m going for my mammogram today….I get it. Who would have thought I would be happy to hear my gums, eyes, skin “look good”.

All this healthy eating has to be having a positive effect on our bodies…….

Good luck with the mammo Michel! Hope the doc says the girls “look good” ;).

You mentioned MFP… my 2 cents – it offers too broad a range of calories for generic foods. Picking the highest leaves me hungry, and picking the lowest tempts me to eat when I’m not hungry. To be honest, I only look at MFP occasionally now. It got dumped in my recent houseclearning of nit-pickery. For now, anyway.

Man the holidays are fast approaching! We had a baby reindeer contest going… I think I’m just hoping not to GAIN a baby reindeer. xx

Hi all,
    I just had to look up a DQ Dilly Bar to see what they looked like, although your description Jade was spot on. They look lovely.How I laughed at the act of contrition and the 10 Hail Marys!!!

I am keeping up with the half tsp of sugar and avoiding sugar(which means no biscuits or puddings at work or at home) but met a friend and had cake, which was lovely. I am finding though, that cakes are loosing their allure. Sadly that is not happening with ice cream!

I wore a light jumper today that is now clearly too big, because it is longer than it ever was and looks a bit baggy on the sleeves as well as the body.I think that it will be washed and added to the charity bag. I tried on these pink linen shorts that I have never worn and in January couldn’t pull them up.Since I have cut back on the sugar front, each week they are looking better and better. I suspect that they will be a perfect fit on Christmas day and too big for next summer!

I had forgotten about that reindeer. I think that we are going to be trimmer and slimmer with less sugar in our diet. Several people have commented on how trim I am and have noticed a difference in the last few weeks, which is interesting.I am going to have to buy smaller knitwear very soon.

Shall we set a date in December when we can add our lbs lost for the year? I am baffled how we can add our inches lost too. Any ideas?

All this talk of ice cream…almost glad I have the lactose problem. That burnt fig-honeycomb-caramel concoction of Spring’s sounds divine. How did it go the next day? Michel did the FD go all right?

Annette, glad you enjoyed your cake outing. You’re definitely crossing to the dark side πŸ™‚ And it’s fantastic that you’re outgrowing everything. I do hate shopping for new slacks, though – I’ve got hourglass hips, not the boyish figure they seem to make them for. I haven’t measured inches lost, by the way, and my true goal for the holidays is to maintain. That would be a first and would make me super happy.

So I’m just stopping by to remind everyone the jug of lemon-lime water is here! That sour citrus has some kind of magic in it. I credit it with helping me kick diet drinks, and it also seems to quiet a sugar craving. Weird, huh? All right then off to mark some more papers. What fun! xxx

Quick note before bed:

Successful FD….nothing till dinner then a big salad w/ an egg & avocado. Followed up with a green smoothie for dessert.

Sounds like those of us checking in are doing ok with a few bumps along the way. How are our lurkers doing? Haven’t heard from some of you in a while.

Here’s hoping everyone is enjoying success!

Wow look at you rock the healthy lifestyle Michel – congrats on that FD girl.

I imagine the lurkers are taking a break from 5:2? I know I’m on here most often to fight my way through sugar lust or just to ponder the good changes that have happened.

Can you all stand yet another epiphany? I’ve said before that I never wanted to kill my sugar lust. I just want to control it, let it out to play when it’s playtime. But part of my brain (the evil part) says once I truly gain control, I’ll never have a food orgasm again (a la KKs in the car). And that would be kind of sad.

Lately though, I’ve found that sugar hasn’t been knocked off the pedestal of lust, it’s just got more company. OMG – last night, wholegrain bread with peanut butter topped with sliced grapes? Total food orgasm. Part of the craving is hunger, which is the secret to 5:2 success generally. But another sneaky part is the feeling that some of these whole foods are as wickedly good as pure sugar. ANNETTE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME. She’s a wizard, I tell you, I knew it all along. Well, I’m thrilled, as long as I can enjoy life as much as before. And darn if I don’t have gorgeous gums now too.

I hope I don’t jinx myself into a doughnut frenzy just sharing this. But I do a lot of thinking in the cave, so there it is for all to ponder.

Good luck to all searching for good health today. xxx

Maybe I am a wizard after all…
    I think that whole food just makes you feel better, without any guilt or pressure. I got home yesterday and was hungry and tired at 4pm. So, I tucked into 2 slices of wholemeal toast with a mashed avocado spread high across them both and felt both full and that I had nourished my body. Later that evening having cooked tea for my chaps, I felt a bit peckish so ate a pile of carrot batons with the homemade hummus, which I really enjoyed…again guilt free.
    Today I have succumbed to a bar of chocolate that was given as a present, but even so, I will still be below or at my TDEE by the end of the day. I don’t feel guilty, but it just wasn’t as fabulous as I thought it was going to be….I would rather have an avocado and feel well. I am learning to listen to my body and see the difference that some foods make not only on my mood but energy levels too.
    I must go to my dentist to see if he says that I have gorgeous gums as well!
    I now have a growing pile of winter jumpers that are simply too big and look stupid, these are jumpers that I have had for years and those work trousers also look daft, so I may never wear them to work. I am an hour glass too Jade, and trousers are tricky to find that fit, especially as I am short too.

My mantra is that I am avoiding sugar, not giving it up. But there is no doubt that I feel much better with far less of it and I am sure that I have shrunk in the last few weeks too.

Let’s just enjoy this loving the wholefood thing Jade. Have you made your own peanut butter yet? To make good food that you enjoy is another level of pleasure. Opening the fridge to the homemade tahini and hummus, fills me with great joy.

Way to go Michell, I think it’s awesome you can go all day before eating (not something I’ve been able to do except post major surgery or dire illness!). I’d love to hear from some of the others too although I am sure Jade is right (Jade is always right) and they are still here in spirit.

Jade my girl, you’re a legend and I’m definitely pronouncing you NORMAL. Hourglass indeed, very jealous, as I’m decidedly an apple at the moment. I wasn’t always an apple but that’s what piggery for too many years will do for you, even with significant losses over the years as well. Today I threw out the rest of that wicked ice-cream (for some reason I was able to stop the other night after a quite sane-sized portion, don’t ask me how) but today I could hear that uppity siren calling my name when I was getting my lunch ready. I felt like poor Jason in need of an Orpheus but since he was not available and I don’t play the lyre myself, I decided just to throw it in the rather smelly outside bin and hope for the best. I think my days of scrabbling in the bin for discarded food are over, but I’ll keep you posted πŸ˜‰ when I pop in for a cooling glass of citrus minus the guilt.

Annette, great to see you going from strength to strength. Wholefoods are the only way to go aren’t they? I’m fortunate to have many wholefood stores and weekly Farmer’s Markets nearby, so generally all the hard work has been done for me and simple, yummy goods without dodgy additional ingredients are available and they’re often organic and/or bio-dynamic as well. Delish!! I also love making my own jams & preserves & sauces etc and I know that wonderful feeling of providing for the family against future want πŸ™‚

So, WW is going okay. Some adjustment is needed as fruit & vegetables attract no points and that is frankly feeling weird after having to look up the calorie value of a mushroom when I started 5:2 and adding it to the FD count. Apparently I could eat an entire bunch of bananas between breakfast & lunch and not accrue a point. Not sure you’d lose any weight that way but who knows? The system also seems heavily prejudiced against wholegrains/legumes in that it taxes them beyond their calorie load which strikes me as odd. Still, I’m managing to stay within my allocated points for the day and have only had to draw on my extra bonus points once this week, for a best-forgotten foray into wicked ice-cream and chocolate-covered scorched almonds… I’ve been doing WW for 4 days (started Monday) and decided to maintain my usual Friday weigh in so today I’d lost 800gms which is really pleasing (given I did hit the ‘fruit is free’ option pretty hard some days!). I’m benefiting from the familiarity with hunger that I learned in 5:2 but not experiencing the cravings I was feeling so I think so far it’s a win/win. If I feel like it’s going well enough I might throw in the odd fast day as well and see how I go but early days yet.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. I’m planning some serious gardening as the spring weeds are still around but are all ready to shed their seeds so I need to act. Spring xx

Quick report before bed.

I fell off the wagon and into mom’s homemade macaroni and cheese and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. The cookies were lunch and the macaroni and cheese dinner. My only saving grace was I didn’t eat anything else. Not very balanced or healthy.

Oh well tomorrow is another day too try for fresh & healthy.

Spring – Interesting info about the fruit & veggies being “free”. I’m guessing most people just don’t eat enough to really make difference.
    Keep up the good work!

Jade – You may have turned the corner into a new life w/o binge eating. I’m so happy for your success.

Annette – You are our poster child for normal. Congrats on not being able too wear your clothes. πŸ™‚

Stay strong and focused fasters!

Morning Fasters!

All my good intentions for healthy eating went out the window when the warm sausage bread was brought in for breakfast. For those of you not familiar, think homemade bread baked with sausage & cheese inside. Yummy & delish!

I should fast for the rest of the day, but Godzilla has woken up & is looking for Tokyo. Gonna be a tough one.

Stay Strong Fast Friends!

Yep Annette you’re a wizard. Just reading about your tales has kept me going. Glad you’re a wizard who occasionally has a good cake-with-friends party.

Michel, oatmeal cookies are a form of health food in my book. Oats, raisins, eggs, all good for you. Good calcium in the mac & cheese. All full of mom’s love, too! I say high fives for control on that day.

Ha Spring, my hourglass is a bit lopsided. I’ve never fit right in tailored pants. My butt is always more than expected πŸ™‚ I guess I could look on the bright side and say my waist is less than expected. Yoga pants, there’s the ticket. I hope I’m right about the lurkers and that they’ll chime in again. It’s not as though I’m any huge success – I just move the goal line to have something to cheer about. Kicking soda has been a biggie – no cheering from the scale but a sense of progress nonetheless.

Wow, I’m still impressed Spring that you logged a mushroom. HA, what are they, 5 calories? I think I did something like 5:2/WW this week. Tues-Thurs I fasted till dinner, which was fairly light but not FD light. Work was stressful so I didn’t want to tackle a true FD. I may have to learn more about this unlimited banana thing. That must be WW’s way of shifting people from junk to whole food without piling on too much dieting burden. Sounds smart!

Back to the rat race with me. Loads to do today AND an event to attend tonight. Hubs is not pleased πŸ™‚ but after that we’ll have the whole weekend together. xxxx jade
    PS Michel, OMG the sausage bread – Godzilla has sent his worst. Annette, send over your light saber! Or Michel…just enjoy. NO GUILT.

Just a quick shout to thank you all for the love and support here. I am lucky to have been spared the violence and hatred that are part of so many lives every day. Hug your loved ones and keep spreading love where you can. xxx

Jade, I think that we are all grateful for the support of those here. I too share in your luck. I am very blessed.

I laughed at the idea of sending my light sabre to defeat the sausage bread. I would like to think that it was enjoyed.

The more that I read about food, diets, nutrition etc, the more I am convinced that Robert Lustig is onto something and that we have indeed been told all manner of half truths and fibs…that keep us fat.

I haven’t decided whether or not I will fast this week. I might have another ‘avoiding sugar’ weeks and see how I go. I am putting both the scales and the tape measure away for the next fortnight, and will focus on eating unprocessed food. The scales are a poor indicator of health it seems and women should have a waist no more than 31.5 inches and men 37 inches(measure mid way between the top of the hip bone and the bottom rib)as visceral fat is stored in the middle.I have a half an inch to lose off my waist to meet that criteria, so that is going to be my focus from now on.

I did have a debate with myself in the supermarket about the merits of a pastry and managed to convince myself that I was just hungry and could wait until I got home. I did manage to leave the cakes behind and felt better when I had eaten at home.

I have made cakes for the week, and we shall have apple crumble after a roast dinner. I intend to enjoy it as I always do, guilt free.

Oh I nearly forgot, there is also a view that all calories are not equal…

No doubt that apple crumble has whole grains in it, Annette? Sounds so lovely and cozy. I have the wood stove going in the cave, if you can drop by with some leftovers!

After two big party nights involving all sorts of alcohol (though not to excess – scale is the same), I’m into a bit of sugar today. It’s been quite a few days so ta da, NO GUILT. I hate to jinx myself, but I really feel the “habit” part of sugar letting go of me. And this is from someone who gave up “sweets” for Lent one year and was head-first into the sugary cereal at night until a friend convinced me that God did not share my narrow definition of “sweets” πŸ™‚

So tomorrow I’ll be back on the nature trail, looking for nuts and seeds like Euell Gibbons. Let’s all continue to enjoy the goodness that comes our way– xxx

Not a whole grain in sight!It was lovely and I really enjoyed it….as well as the ice cream!!!!!!!

Forgot to say that it is a huge achievement to ditch the soda, well done. Go Girl!

It feels good to avoid it, when you know how much better you feel without the white stuff doesn’t it? I can’t believe how far you have come in such a short time. Amazing.

My goal, like yours, is to maintain over the festive season..although I am secretly hoping for a half an inch loss on the waist by the end of the year.

Good morning my fast friends πŸ™‚ So much yummy food being consumed on this thread!! I too would be happy with a maintain over the Christmas holidays although a little part of me would like to see a loss while still enjoying all the festivities… What can I say, magical thinking is a specialty of mine πŸ˜‰

Michell, I am just going to have to find a recipe for sausage bread and make it. Had to LOL about Godzilla looking for Tokyo – hope you had something come and rescue you Faye Wray style.

Way to go Jade & Annette on reducing/ditching the sugar. It’s interesting you mention the Waist:Hip ratio Annette, as it’s been around in these parts for some time. About 5 years ago or so there was a big national campaign here to educate the public about the importance of reducing the waist measurement with nifty little tape measures handed out with the numbers in the green/orange/red zones and they were very popular for a while!

So, I’m in a cloud of euphoria as my morning visit to my doctor had my diastolic BP below 80 in the doctor’s office for the first time since I started taking Meds (about a year ago). I have what’s commonly called ‘white coat syndrome’ (as in, my BP will jump when taken in a Drs. office!) so it was great to see that it had gone down enough to still be below 80, despite my systemic sympathetic response. I do monitor it at home so I wasn’t too concerned, however, if one is unable to demonstrate a normal BP IN the office, then it can get tricky and I didn’t want any more meds added into the mix. Blood tests were also all great so I’m one happy Vegemite as we say down under.

I hope everyone else on the thread is going well? Do please drop in and let us know how it’s going for you, I’m missing you all heaps. Spring xx

Spring great news on your BP – perhaps you were able to summon your inner zen child this time. Fewer meds are always a plus.

I too am harboring magical thoughts. Hard to believe all this control I’m doing has resulted only in maintenance. But then again, every other time in my life I’ve lost weight, I’ve gained it back as soon as whatever event I lost it for is over (if not while the event is happening). The hard truth for me is that maintenance involves control, too. Wahhh. I wish I could grow a control tree and just pull off a leaf whenever I am too tired to manufacture my own.

Time to venture out of the cave and go fight the good fight on another Monday. I have another event tonight so…not sure it will be a FD but I will try to control myself πŸ™‚ Go team! xx

Afternoon Fast Clubbers!

Fasting (not really feeling it) in anticipation of tomorrow’s Thanksgiving feast at work. We are having the full spread, turkey and all the trimmings.

We should all be in a food coma by 2. πŸ™‚

So I’ve been staying away from the sweets (no ice cream stops) for a couple of weeks. I have been having fresh fruit, yogurt & green smoothies to keep my sweet tooth quite. I can’t say I’m loosing weight/inches but I’m not yo-yoing all over the place. Of course that is going it the window tomorrow. I think we have 6 desserts coming.

Jade – Congrats on giving up soft drinks. They are as addicting as anything out there.
    And not gaining weight after back-to-back parties, crazy good work.

Annette – I did enjoy the sausage bread and managed to not go Godzilla the rest of the day. Keep avoiding the sugar and processed foods and your gonna need a new “little black dress”.

Spring – It took me a minute to place Faye Wray, then I laughed out loud.
    Congrats on the good readings at the doctors office.
    Apparently a healthy lifestyle pays off with better health…..huh, who knew? Oh yea, Annette did.

Keep the faith fasters, we can do this!

Well done Michel on tamping down the sweets. Enjoy tomorrow! There will loads of good protein and ’tis the season and all…

So, guess who walked past chocolate cake in the break room today?? Not just cake but pizza. AND get this, I was hungry and had already decided (thanks to the later event), I wasn’t going to try for a FD. But I seriously thought about how bad I’d feel if I ate either (cake on an empty stomach, pizza without my lactaid pills). And somehow made it through the afternoon with a salad.

DAMN. I can’t say I wasn’t seriously tempted, but there was an equally strong feeling that it was not going to be worth it, and not b/c of the calories but knowing I’d feel rubbish after (I love that expression, so much more civilized than what I’d have ordinarily said). This is a seriously grown-up side of my brain that I am not well acquainted with.

That was the highlight of my day. I didn’t end up with a FD, as there was wine and chips and various snacks at the evening event. But nothing crazy. Hope everyone else had a good day – time for me to go grade more papers πŸ™‚ xxx

Just a very quick drop by to say YAH!!!!! to all the food managing going on in this thread. Michell for not going the whole Godzilla despite the temptation and Jade bypassing both Chocolate AND Pizza. One alone is worth a medal Jade, GO YOU TWO!!!

We seriously need some decent emoticons to celebrate in style on this thread – I believe other threads have them so I’ll have to investigate how to make them happen here for such moments.

So, I’ve had a sensible lunch of grain bread with cheese and a ginormous salad of lettuce/tomato/cucumber/snow peas/red capsicum and a couple of kiwi fruit. I am totally satisfied but, because I’m working from home I already hear the siren call of afternoon bad deeds. I’m going to remain strong though fellow-fasters and do the right thing (Spell check wanted to change that to fellow-feasters… get ye behind me!!!). Love to you all, Spring xx

Morning ladies, I’ve been absent with a virus infection and a dose of the miseries. A small amount of comfort eating was involved – mainly frozen yogurt for a sore throat. Lemon sorbet and aerosol cream tastes a bit like lemon meringue – it’s always good to have new experiences?.

I had a successful fast day yesterday, didn’t eat until 5pm but feel really really tired today , perhaps it wasn’t a good idea. I feel like my virus is coming back. Ever one for going with the flow I think I eat healthily for the rest of the week and park the second fast. Particularly as I am off to The Gambia on Saturday and do not want to be below par. Ps have Not faced the scale monster yet, I fear adding depression to the day.

Gals, those who are mixing it up – absolutely the way to go. With you on thinking soft drinks can be perilous but if I can’t have wine, I can’t gave soft drinks and too much even decaf is bad – whaddya drink at night (please don’t suggest hot water and a slice of lemon – cos that’s just too far) xx

Nose-don’t fast, just rest and get as much sleep as you can. The Gambia sounds very exciting. If I have had my maximum 3 mugs of tea, then it is just water before I go to sleep, but I also find that if I drink tea late in the evening then I may up in the night to the loo.
    Spring-I agree with you.Very impressive BP!
    Jade-amazing. No point feeling rubbish is there?
    Michell-well done!

The waist measurement health indicator is not well known in the UK. I think that we are obsessed with the scales, which of course, makes us feel that we are failing. I have been reading articles in magazines/newspapers/internet and the same points keep being made, that waist measurement is the most important,reduce or give up sugar and eat more fibre and avoid processed food.

I am not fasting this week just as an experiment to see if there is any difference at the weekend. The plan is to then do 2 FD next week.

Hi NoseInaBook, it’s nice to see you here again – I’m with Annette, eat whole foods and get healthy for your upcoming adventure! I hope it’s fun. I know what you mean about sorbet on a sore throat, very soothing.

Spring, fellow feasters is a bit too accurate – sometimes – like “Krispy Crime” – I agree, get ye behind me fast-feast wicked thoughts.

Hot water with lemon, ugh, no – though I like ice water w/lemon or lime wedge. Anything un-sweet at night (herbal tea, decaf coffee w/cream) helps keep me out of the sugar jar. Those peanut butter cups and I had a full stare-down last night. I opted for pb on wholegrain. Moral victory I suppose.

Today may actually be a real FD here, so far nothing but coffee. Our Thanksgiving-at-work is tomorrow. I’ve had the worst time lately with fasting. I want to get back into the routine before the full onslaught of holidays, when I won’t even be able to walk to my office without tripping over a yule log. And researching recipes = food porn on a stick. Yet the family and friends gatherings are worth it πŸ™‚

Wishing you all good health as we toddle on. xxx

Brilliant Jade! I love the food porn notion…pretty much sums it up.

I have x2 Christmas Dinners at work in the same week to contend with, and there is no other food option, which is in about 3 weeks time. I am genuinely worried about the festive season, although there is plenty of home made vegetable soup in the freezer, which I think I will add some lentils to.

Like you, Jade, I am going to continue with the focus on real whole foods.I need to add/sneak in more beans/lentils to our meals as that has slipped of late.

I have a small stash of chocolate in my cupboard, some is from the summer and I have no doubt that I will be given some more at Christmas. The grand plan is to share it all out with the boys at Christmas and for me to avoid scoffing the usual amount!

I will not pile on 10 lb this year.

I am getting used to half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea, can’t say that I enjoy it, but hopefully my tastes are changing with every week. I walk 45 minutes each way to work(uphill on the way there) and when I started, I was convinced that I was going to collapse in a heap as I stared walking 1 day a week…but I was also 3 stone heavier than I am now, so no wonder that I am fitter and faster! I gave up my car about 5 years ago, purely from a financial point of view and that I live in a city. I usually walk everywhere and get a bit tense if i can’t get out walking at the weekend, even if it is only for an hour. I feel better with less sugar in my life too.

Toddle on we do Jade. Good Luck with the Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Morning Fast Clubbers!

Yesterday’s Thanksgiving Feast was very yummy and I didn’t gain as much as I had expected. We had 21 different items brought for consumption. Crazy amount of food. I managed to only get things I really wanted to try and only in tiny portions. The desserts were harder to resist. There were a couple I didn’t try (surprise, surprise) but the pumpkin bread was to good to resist. But, I never made myself miserable and that is a change for me. I felt in control, not that crazy “gotta eat it all feeling”.

Going for a FD today. Gonna be hard someone has already put out the leftover desserts and lunch is being delivered.

Jade – I’m so inspired by you passing up cake & pizza. You are doing so good.
    Good luck at your work Thanksgiving feast. I agree, it is food porn.

Spring – Hope you were able to ignore the siren song and remain strong.

Nose – Sorry to hear you have be unwell. I agree, no fasting till you are back on your feet. What takes you to Gambia? I’ve always wanted to go to Africa.

Annette -It sounds like you have really made big changes in your life. You are an inspiration!

Stay Strong Fasters…….and drink lots of water!

So-far-so-good!

I’ve managed to avoid all the food sitting out in the kitchen. Still in a food coma from yesterday. πŸ™‚

Good luck to everyone fasting today!

Well done Michell on such restraint. Fortunately for us the silly-season eating hasn’t started here but it is coming! I did really well on the day of the siren-song but then Krakzilla swooped unexpectedly last night and I was a gonna. Seriously, there was nothing unhealthy in the house but it didn’t stop me from devouring several pieces of grain bread with peanut butter/brown-rice crackers with my homemade pumpkin & natural yogurt dip/all the remaining cheese… I did feel satisfied though and today I’ve decided to fast as I just wasn’t hungry this morning – it’s now 11am and I’m still not hungry…

Jade – how did your Thanksgiving feast go?? I’m with you on the celebration side of the season and can’t wait to get together with my children/their partners/extended family soon for lots of shared eating and drinking (in seemly moderation of course!)

Lovely to see you back again noseinabook – sorry you were unwell and hope the recover is going well?

Annette, well done on the daily activity, that is a great achievement!

Okay, well I need to get back to work and produce something of value in the hours I have left. Tomorrow is FRIDAY and I love Fridays. Fast-on my dear fast-friends. Spring xx

Another binger here. I feel I am in good company. I have had a depressing binge week. Defrosting sheets of pastry, covering with apple and sugar, bought lollies and ate all in one session. Purging (something I haven’t done for years.) Cracker biscuits and butter topped up with big spoonfuls of peanut butter. Lots of wine.

I’ve been on diet over 5 weeks and this was the big break out. I think I am ready to get on the diet again. Fingers crossed.

Ohhhhhh mercy. I’m afraid I led Godzilla to Tokyo – but at least we had a good time! I skipped the gunky casseroles (most of the veggies looked awful) and concentrated on the turkey and the desserts. I won’t name them but a few were just heavenly. None of that “oh that’s just too sweet” bit for me today! I’d like to say that was all I wanted today but noooooo, that didn’t happen either. Dinner was a bit more of the same. All I can crow about is that I didn’t have a soft drink!! Also, it was all delicious, so there is that.

I’m sipping on lemon water now, hoping to corral all the lizards back into their cages πŸ™‚ I’m planning a FD tomorrow, to get myself back to swooning over whole foods. IF I can do that, then maybe I’ve truly managed to make sugar a treat instead of a habit.

So Michel, you did great! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself – food is to be enjoyed and heaven knows we’ve all spent too little time actually enjoying ourselves. And you managed a FD today? Girl you are strong.

And Spring, sounds as though you joined in our Thanksgiving feasting as well! Pull up a chair next time! Listen to all of us, enjoying good food and not stuffing ourselves like the actual bird. WOW, and you weren’t hungry today. I hope that I am as strong as you tomorrow – I may have to glue some lemons on my face.

Nosey hope you are feeling better? Wish you could stop by, I’m simmering some chicken soup on the stove (mostly from the bones of a rotisserie chicken I bought for my dogs – no judging now, they’re $4.99 and cheaper than the canned food, plus hubs and I get dinner out of the deal). A trip to The Gambia is on the horizon, so we need to get you well.

Well Annette, we have paved the way for your Christmas workplace dinners coming up. You can do it if anyone can! I am surprised you are still not enjoying your tea – do you have it with lemon? I got used to drinking black coffee and tea so long ago that (hold onto your hats) I don’t even like sweet tea or coffee. And I’m southern! But like you’ve said, it’s a habit and it’s now what I like. And whoa 3 stone?! That’s impressive – and a whole lot easier to do all that hiking. I’d love to do without a car, but live too far out and no public trans. πŸ™

OK team, let’s keep this whole foods health train going through the holidays. If we all keep approaching treats as treats, we can do this. xx
    ps: Welcome LynKay, just saw your post as I edited out some typos. You’ve come to the right place. Misfit Island, home of the bingeing champs, now on the road to recovery (bumps in the road and all). Our stories are just like yours. Hope you stick around!

Last check in for the day

I probably had more than 500 cal for dinner but it was soup & salad. Not a sweet passed my lips today. I’m pretty pleased. This may be the 1st time I’ve ever fasted or even had control the day after a mega feast. Huge step for me especially with all the food sitting out today.

LynKay – Welcome to Misfit Island. Sounds like you will fit right in here. Everyone on the forum had been where you are. Good luck tomorrow.

Jade – Glad to hear you enjoyed your Thanksgiving meal. Good luck with you FD tomorrow. I found it surprisingly easy today (knock on wood). I’ll be sending you positive vibes tomorrow as I drink my lemon water.

Keep the faith fasters!

Michel that’s fantastic – go you! I’m hoping to do the same today. Feeling the strength of my fellow Islanders (although I guess there are no “fellows” here). Ha I’m already patting myself on the back and just looked at the clock and saw there’s quite a bit of day left πŸ™‚

I have to thank you again Michel for the water with lemon reminder (I think it was you – along with Annette kicking me in the pants to toss the Crystal Light). I’ve enjoyed lemon water often in restaurants but rarely bothered at home. And because plain water was boring, I preferred a diet coke or crystal light.

Well! I believe I get the difference now. Having a diet drink is like playing with my dog right before bed – the dog is ready to play for HOURS. But water with lemon wedge somehow soothes my sweet tooth and it goes off into the cave for a nice nap. I have no idea how that happens, but I like it.

Time for me to go clean my house before the housecleaner gets here. I know everyone is familiar with that little paradox – I’m just grateful to have this luxury again. xxx jade

Viewing 50 posts - 1,401 through 1,450 (of 3,046 total)

You must be logged in to reply.