Hypothyroidism & Weight Loss

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Hypothyroidism & Weight Loss

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Juec123 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi there, does anyone have an underactive thyroid and if so, have you also managed to lose a decent amount of weight on this diet? Thank you 🙂

Hi Juec123,

I have been on thyroid meds for 20 years due to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.

Just over a year ago I started 5:2 due to being 30 lbs heavier than I wanted to be. Plus I was on hypertension meds, was prediabetic with a horrible sweet tooth, and just felt much much older than a 57 year old man should feel. In just 4 months I lost the weight, was off the blood pressure meds, and felt like a different person. Plus my appetite completely changed – I don’t binge on sugar like I did and I am satisfied with smaller quantities of food. I am now on 6:1 to maintain and give my body a reset each week.

As you read about 5:2 you will learn a ton from the posters on this forum. The most important things for me were that the initial fasts can be horrible. If you experience this don’t quit – they get easier! In my own case I went from “I am going to die from trying this” on my first fast to “I’m looking forward to my next fast” by the end of the 2nd week.

The next was to be nice to yourself as you go – if you get off track, get back on. Learn why you had problems and get back to it. And do so without beating yourself up! Do not release your inner mean girl or bully and beat yourself up when things go badly. Pat yourself on the back for trying and give it another shot.

Finally, treat fasting like a skill you practice. The idea of fasting is simple, but doing it well takes some trial and error as what works for one person may not for another. Also, you will change (in body and thinking) so keep adjusting as you go.

I’m convinced 5:2 is the most effective health intervention I have ever undertaken. I am grateful to have discovered it and for the community that resides on this forum. You will find yourself new friends from all over the world!

Best of luck and I hope it works for you too!

Thank you so much for your post. It gives me hope that I will be able to get things on track again. I’m starting my first fasting day tomorrow so I hope it won’t be too painful! Thanks for your support.

I have been doing 5:2 diet for about 2.5-3 weeks now. And I feel things are going pretty well. When I started, I felt terrible and thought would stop immediately. But that hasn’t been the case.

Thank you for that, Daniel. It seems to be going well for me too up to now, although only just started. I don’t see I have any other choice but to try anyway! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.