HIT witout treadmill??

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Fittoretire 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi everyone,

I would like to give the hit program that dr mosly showed on tv (3 minutes a week) a try. But are there options without a treatmill, because I don’t have one and can’t aford one either.
    I orderd the book, but have not received it yet.

thanks

Anita

My wife and I have been walking three miles every evening. We have added running in 3 segments of about 1/6th of a mile each. We run as fast as we can, knowing that we’ll soon be able to catch our breath while walking. I’m thinking I could get a heart rate monitor so we can figure out a max heart rate and monitor how hard we’re pushing ourselves during the short runs. But for now we just concentrate on running as fast as we can.

If you can’t run or haven’t got a good outdoor place to exercise, you can still exercise without equipment. Jumping jacks and running in place come to mind as aerobic activities that can be pushed to the limit and get to heart rate max in a short time. An exercise bike is lower impact than running or jumping jacks, but if your joints are ok and you’re not too overweight, then the impact is actually positive for bone strength.

I didn’t see the TV program, but am pretty sure all you need to do is exercise so that you raise your heart rate. Other ideas:

– running
    – going up many stairs very quickly
    – Swimming very fast
    – Jumping rope
    – Skipping
    – hopping
    – jumping up onto a curb and back down
    – Jumping jacks

Thanks for all the tips!!
    More info is always welcome of cours 🙂

Anita

I just cycle in real life. There’s a bridge about 10 minutes from my home. I cycle there (warm up), cycle up the bridge as hard as I can, cross the street, cyce back over it as hard as I can. I do that twice then cycle back home (cool down). I’m genuinely pooped when I get back and it only takes me about 35 minutes in total.

I do live in Belgium where everyone has a bike and most roads are very cycle-friendly.

I live in the netherlands, so biking is no problem at all.
    And I have a bridge nearby, about as close as you write, so maybe I can try that!!
    Thanks

No problem. I hate treadmills anyway, I have zero motivation to peddle if I don’t see the scenery change.

There is a poster on display in my gym which says;

7000 jumping jacks per week = 1lb weight loss.

It takes appx 5 mins or less to do 200. So, 5 times a day, do 200 jumping jacks. Maybe while waking for the kettle to boil; first thing in the morning; in front of the TV etc?

I’m going to start mine this evening. 🙂

I don’t have a treadmill or a bike or money for a gym membership – I just do 3-20 sec sprints of running in place as fast and hard as I can bear. Make sure you warm up first and stretch so you don’t pull something. 😉
    There are a lot of high intensity interval training workouts on Youtube. The one I used most recently was 15 minutes of mostly pushups, mountain climbers, burpees (hate the burpee!!) etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcECwMShOPY
    @still29 – I love the jumping jacks idea. I’ll have to try that – my kids will like it too. 🙂

knittinghippiemom:

Thanks for that. I have a wipe board where we record how many we’ve done each week. It helps with the motivation as we’re a bit competitive in my house!

Wow Still29 that’s fabulous about 7000 jumping jacks = 1 pound of fat. I just decided tonight that as of tomorrow (I’m in bed now – it’s 10:50pm here in Australia) that I’m going to set my alarm for every half hour & do jumping jacks fir 30-60 seconds. Your info has just given me further motivation 🙂

I don’t have an exercise bike or treadmill and am not into running. Would it be effective to do the step-up/step-down move on the bottom step of my stairs for 20 second bursts as part of the HIT programme?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.