HIT IN THE WATER?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• A question as I have no idea.
    I haven’t read much about it yet, but would it be counted as HIT if you were running fast for a minute in water during a water gym class? I do them 3 times a week and the trainer gets us to run or cycle in the water fast timing us. Usually for 1 minute at a time. Then she gets us to do arm exercies fast too.
    Thanks

Hi, this is how Wiki defines HIIT

“High-intensity interval training (HIIT), also called high-intensity intermittent exercise (HIIE) or sprint interval training (SIT), is a form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating short periods of intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 4–30 minutes. These short, intense workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition as well as improved glucose metabolism.[1] Compared with other regimens, HIIT may not be as effective for treating hyperlipidemia and obesity, or improving muscle and bone mass. Some researchers also note that HIIT requires “an extremely high level of subject motivation,” and question whether the general population could safely or practically tolerate the extreme nature of the exercise regimen”

I’m not sure that if you are exercising in water it is possible to work at maximum intensity, and it depends on how many times the exercise is repeated during your class. Have you asked your trainer her opinion?

HIT is when you are operating at your ABSOLUTE maximum effort. Usually this is about 20 seconds worth. You can not squeeze out another ounce of effort. Your heart rate is max, your muscle can not deliver any more power and the lactic acid build up in the muscles hurts. The fact that you can do this for 1 minute tends to suggest you are well below the effort required for this to be a HIT session. If you can hold a conversation during or directly afterwards then youre not doing HIT. Are you completely spend almost to the point of feeling ill? If no then its not HIT.

Thanks to both for your replies. That clarifies and explains what I hadn’t fully understood. I’m just exercising, no HIT involved here. Better than nothing. I’ll think about going for HIT when I’m a bit fitter!!

Keep exercising, it makes you feel good and that can not be underestimated.

When Im riding my bike I feel good. Its my happy place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.