Help I am so close to giving up :(

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Mind Coping strategies for hunger
Help I am so close to giving up :(

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

• Hi all I am new to this and today is my 1st fasting day and I m really struggling to with hunger – I have a big bottle of water but it’s doing nothing I am so close to giving in and making a feast and scoffing myself silly. Although I know I will regret it big time if I do but I am just really finding it hard. Please tell me it get’s easier 🙁

Hi Francis,
    It does indeed get easier.I started in January and have lost 10Kg(23lb) and 23 inches all over.

Have you consumed the 500 cals(if you are female) or 600(if you are male)?

Francis please don’t give up.
    Tell yourself that you will get the thing you are craving tomorrow.
    You could try a herbal tea, black coffee or sparkling water with a slice of lime.
    Try and keep busy, do some housework or go for a walk.
    If all else fails go to bed early and when you wake up it will be time for breakfast.
    I’ve only been on it 4wks, it does get a bit easier.
    Elaine 🙂

soooo….Francis…were you able to hang in there?
    It really is more of a mental thing than anything else (for me anyways) to get through a fast day…. mind over matter (or food)… your earlier post stated trying to do 2 consecutive fast days, given how today was going for you, hopefully you’ve rethought that plan until you’ve managed your way through a few weeks or so… it really does get a lot easier after you’ve got a few under your belt and developed some strategies that work for you…

It does get easier. In fact I have reached the stage when I look forward to my fast – it makes me feel good! Part of it is that you lose the fear of the sensation of hunger. And part of it might well be sugar/starch withdrawal. I think one of the best things that has come out of fasting for me is that I can tell the difference between true hunger and the munchies.

I find savoury drinks are a great help – bovril, bouillon or marmite. They have a few calories but just count them for your total calories for the day.

Thanks everyone I ended up going to bed early and reading and fell to sleep, when I woke up I felt fine and wasn’t even hungry. I just have to remember that next time I might feel like caving in. Really happy I didn’t give in though 🙂 I did have the 500 cals I think for me that was the problem not having anything would have been better cause having 500 made me want to keep eating :/ Im sure I will get used to it as the weeks pass!

Well done! Thats great.Keep going and you will see the results I have been doing 5:2 about 5 weeks now and have lost 9lbs. I have really struggled at points eg hunger, lack of sleep, but am learing its all about dealing with the things the come up. Monday fast can actually become really enjoyable after a big weekend too

Congratulations for sticking with it!!!!

I tried my first zero calorie day yesterday. And yep, it was easier for me!! I actually cooked some food in the morning, but as the day went on I wondered about just not eating. It might mean a day I don’t think about food – when to eat, what’s best to eat, what I want to eat etc etc. Will try again tomorrow 🙂

Francis so glad you kept going, knew you could.
    Good luck with your journey.
    Elaine 🙂

Hey Francis! Congrats for sticking to it! The first days are always hardest, so don’t give up. I know it’s not easy!
    What helps for me is eating all my calories in one go in the evening, and DON’T eat any carbs. Carbs really make you ravenous! Maybe you could try lowering your carbs the dinner before your fast day as well, to prevent that feeling.

I love my Monday fast days. It’s almost like a detox after the weekend when I tend to eat things I don’t eat throughout the week.

I have been doing 5:2 for four weeks now and find I am not at all hungry on my fast days. I split my 500 cals between 3 meals as I find this is best for me. I also find I am eating a lot less on my normal days too.

The best thing is ….it works and I am losing weight!

Oh dear, just joined as have inhaled a whole box of chocolates today! I couldn’t stick to 500 calories of food but seem to have cracked it by using a meal replacement shake 3 times a day. Did really well with the first half stone but have now come to a standstill. Does that happen a lot? Do I have to drag myself down the gym?

Hi terri …it takes a little while to get used to the 500cal limit and but it’s worth sticking with it.

Personally I’m not a fan of meal replacements as that’s a whole different way of doing things. It’s easily possible to have 3 meals a day and stay within 500 cals.

Just for example, I have

Breakfast – Porridge made with 25g oatmeal and water and eaten with 50ml unsweetened almond milk = 106 cals

Lunch – bowl of homemade vegetable soup + 60 cals

Dinner – Veg or quorn curry/chilli/bolognese with either cauliflower rice or courgette spaghetti or pitta bread with salad and hoummus followed by fresh fruit = 300 cals

I drink loads of water with slices of lemon or lime in and black coffee and I can honestly say I don’t feel I’m missing out because – there’s always tomorrow which is not a fast day!

And you ate chocolates today….just draw a line, declare today a normal day and fast tomorrow. that’s the beauty of 5:2.

Keep on keeping on…you’ll get there.

That sounds great – can you come and cook for me?! I guess I just need to organise myself a bit more. The shakes do seem to be be able to help me ‘switch off’ from food though. I guess I’m not losing weight at moment because I’m eating too much on fast days then?

Great Francis that you stuck it out! It does get easier over time.

There are quite a few different ways to approach the fast days. Personally I do not eat anything the whole day and have 500 or less cal in the evening. If I eat anything during the day it seems like my tummy is waking up and wants more, so it is better for me to eat nothing.

@terri: you might want to consider the 4:3 for a week to get things moving again?

Stef.

Hey Terri!
    There are soooo many reasons why you could not be losing weight. You could (re)calculate your TDEE, then track your calories on both fast and non-fast days for a week and see what that does. Inhaling chocolate isn’t a good move by the way, but I think you already guessed that 😛
    Exercise can kickstart the weightloss process again, but it’s not a must-have. If you like exercise, go for it, as it can speed things up a small bit, but if you don’t… well then don’t. Weightloss is 85% of what you put in your mouth and 15% exercise.

How’re you doing Francis??

What is TDEE? I see that a lot. Thanks

welcome etherial

it is explained here on this forum

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

also this site on this helps 2 most latest update is around the last post

everything a newbie/poster might want 2 c, use & read

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/everything-a-newbie-might-want-2-c-use-read/

success

usa

Etherial

There are two lots of initials you’ll see appearing on this forum

BMR and TDEE

Both of these are calculated using your age/height/current weight and lifestyle

BMR is Basal (or Basic) Metabolic Rate – that is the amount of calories your body needs just to exist – i.e. the amount you would use if you lay in bed all day and didn’t move

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure – this is calcuated using your BMR and level of activity. It is the amount you need to maintain your current weight.

Ideally, therefore, we should eat NO MORE than our TDEE on non fast days. I try to stay below mine for the following reason

The maths are very simple – we need to use more energy (calories) than we consume

So output higher than input …we lose weight
    input higher than output….we gain weight

When output is higher than input the body starts to use stored fat for energy

In the right hand column of this page, and all the pages, on this site you will see a link called ‘helpful site links’. Click on that and it will take you to a calculator where you enter your info and your BMI (Body Mass Index); BMR and TDEE.

There are also explanatory notes on that page to help.

Hope this helps a bit

This is very informative and interesting. Thanks so much.

Nika, I agree with your take on exercise. I know better than to rely on that and totally concur that what you put in your mouth is key to weight loss. I even went out and purchased some Dexitrim Extreme for appetite control, but realize that my cravings are minimal, if any, and the product works a little. It has Keto 7, which is a good fatburner. I’ll continue using this bottle, but won’t buy another or anything else. I’ve only used it this month. I’ll stick to the program without any added chemicals. I think it may be bad for the body and I don’t want to depend on them, anyway.

I’ve lost 12.5 lbs. since March without working out, but will soon resume my workouts sometime soon. I always have to hype myself up when I stay away from my workouts too long. It’s been about 7 months without my regime and I’m feeling a little guilty, but your words encourage me to get back into it when I feel like it.

I’m going to do an experiment starting next week, where I’m only going to eat one meal in the afternoon for my fasting days. I’ve noticed that when we go out to eat in the afternoons on the weekends, we’re not hungry for the rest of the day, but force ourselves to eat dinner late at night. Makes no sense, but what did we know? I order a swiss cheese omelette with bacon and can only eat half because the protein fills me up. But for fast days, I’ll have fish and load it up with peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and steamed green beans on the side. Or I can do a swiss cheese omelette with a little cheese and chicken-apple sausage. No matter what, it will not go over 500 calories.

I will stay within my 500 calorie allotment and see if the scale starts moving again.

Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes!

And it’s good to hear that my words don’t fall on deaf ears 🙂

Hi Francis,

I am glad you stuck with it! Good for you. At first I struggled with the fasting days. As you get through a few weeks, you actually start looking forward to fast days. I like to think of it as a cleansing day. I force myself to eat vegetables and protein and lots of water.

That said, I am back from vacation and 3 weeks of no fasting and had my first week of fasting. It was horrible. Reminded me of my first few days doing the 5:2 plan. I thought that maybe I would not come back after such a hard week, but I lost 2.4lbs. So I am sticking with it and hope you do too!

Good luck!!

Hi All
    I have just finished my 4th week of fast days, thought I was doing ok but have found today very hard, bad headache and craving sweet things, I just had 2 Rich Tea biscuits with my cup tea oops!
    Anyone got any tips on conquering the sweet cravings ?
    I have however lost 6lbs so far, maybe more as my weigh in day is tomorrow.

@coates393 I don’t think 2 rich tea biscuits on one occasion are going to make much difference to your diet in the long run.

I can’t help with the sweet cravings….mine tend to head to the savoury side. I’ve found the only way to deal with them is to ignore them and go and do something else.

xx

Keep going it gets easier and you may well find that your craving for sweet things diminishes on non fast days…so it becomes much easier on fast days.

I adore cakes, puddings etc and plan my fast days around which puddings are available at work!

Well done on the 6lb and never mind about the biscuits, they are gone.I always find that they never taste as good as you imagine and when you look at the calories, they are just not worth it. For me, lesson learned.

Raw carrots are sweet and I love them, so I always make sure that I have them in the fridge on a fast day.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply.