HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,051 through 5,100 (of 7,330 total)

• Hi Nemum

Hope you are managing to stay strong. They have a new ice cream in Waitrose, not a shop I usually use. It is 75calories for two scoops. But it does cost 5.49 for 500 ml so I would rather try other options.

It is called oppo if you are interested and it you type t in online you can get a £1 money off coupon.

Hi Ann Joyce

You have done well. Congratulations!

As you know posts will be a bit sparse next week. Nemum stay strong. Audrey will soon be back and she can keep you on the straight and narrow as well.

I lost 3lbs last week so I am very pleased with that. I did an extra fast day as I went out for a meal and had a really high calorie dessert. I didn’t expect that much, so it was a nice surprise.

Have a nice day all.

Ginette

Morning ladies,

I am back from travels for a week, had a bit if a bad visit, but managed to lose 1.5 lb so not too bad overall.

Hope you are all ok, I am 2lb off 10.5 stone so am going to go for it this week in the hope of getting close by Saturday.

It’s my daughters wedding on Saturday and I would dearly love to be ten and a half for that.

Hope you are all well

Audrey

Hello is there anybody there?

Tis very quiet on here, where is everyone?

Hope all you ladies are ok

Audrey

Hi Audrey,

It is very quiet, on the forum just now.
    Are you well and succeeding in 5:2, i only managed 1 fast day last week, I was tempted to to round and try my friends lemon drizzle cake on Monday, and didn’t really succeed in fasting on the Tuesday, so did a half fast on Wednesday with only 100 calories until teatime to make up for it. But I will be back to it this week. I’m still on a total weight loss of 5lb and really enjoying the slightly loose feel on my clothes.

How are you doing?

L

Hi Nemum

Don’t worry we all have odd days line that. I am really suffering with water retention at the moment. I lost half a pound last week, hopefully I will lose more soon. Being out a lot didn’t help. I did stick to the plan as usual. I think it is just a blip so I’m not too despondent. I was half a pound off of half a stone so that was annoying. Never mind at least I had a loss.

I’m glad you can feel it in your clothes. This will give you encouragement. I now do fast days Monday and Wednesday and a very low calorie day on Friday (but not as low as a fast day) normally about 700/800 calories. This way I don’t need to be too careful on other days.

I love lemon drizzle cake. I only go near things like that on special occasions. I am feeling really tired this week…… and it is only Monday.

I am fasting today.

Have a good week. Remember to check in even when things didn’t go to plan.

Hi Audrey

I hope the wedding went well, I am sure you looked great after your weight loss.

Sorry I was out of Internet contact most of the week last week, so did not post then.

Ginette

Hi ladies,

I haven’t posted in weeks. Feeling frustrated… have been faithful to strict 500 two times a week and hit exercise with eliptical 3 times a week for a month and no weight loss (or gain) . Ugh. I don’t want to be on a diet the other days. Obviously I need to add something else…

Just venting….

Hi Una

You vent away. I know some of the advice given is to try 4:3 for a couple of weeks.

Also you could just calorie count for a couple of weeks to see how many calories you are eating. I can remember NEmum having the same problem so maybe she can help.

Ginette

Ginette,

Thanks for the support and advice. I weighed myself today and lost 3.7 lbs. Yeah. My body seems to hold steady and then lose in a chunk. Same way when I gain weight- nothing for weeks and then gain 5 lbs. Even though I know this about myself, I start to panic … wondering how my age/ perimenopause is going to do something new . Anyhow, I am relieved to have some progress!

Una

I understand your frustration, there is nothing fast about the fast diet, I can tell you! I have been doing this for a couple of months now and still total only 5lb weight loss, and that was in a flurry of 3 weeks about a month ago. It seems that you are reluctant to calorie count on non fast days too. I want the 5:2 to be a lifestyle change, so do not want to be calorie counting for the rest of my life, I want to live my life and not be restricted.

Well done on the few pounds loss, I think anything lost round the menopause is an achievement. Make sure you’re fast is a not just 24 hours, but from the evening before through to breakfast next day, I found that helped.

Have you measured waist etc, and do you feel clothing a little looser?

Keep in touch with your progress / frustrations or even temptations. We all need to support each other.

L

Hi Una and Nemum

Yes I do agree that calorie counting is a chore. If you just did it for a couple of weeks it would help you realise where you are going wrong.

I now have a rough estimation of what I eat in my head. I only count on fast days. If I have a week with lots of treats I do another fast day. This is not for all. I find it helps me as I too enjoy a nice meal and not having to count every thing.

I have lost something every week apart from one. I think is is about being flexible. I have so much to lose as although I have lost two and a half stone, I still have another five and a half to go.

Whatever way you decide counting or not you will lose but just more slowly.

Years ago I was on a diet where I counted every day. Now I prefer to be more relaxed and strike a happy medium.

Well done on your loss Una 3.7 in one go is great. As Nemum says use a tape measure as you may lose inches as well.

It is true let us know of your good times and bad, this way we can help each other along. I hope you soon have a loss Nemum. People say summer is a good time to lose. I find winter is better for me.

Have a good week.

Ginette

ANOTHER 2lb!

Oh I could shout it from the roof tops!

7lb in total – half a stone. One more pound loss and I will be 17 stone something, and I haven’t been that for years, but for now I’m delighted to be 18 stone on the nose.

Ginette, like you I have so much to loose, but small steps, if I get under 14 stone, then I’ll just be overweight, under 12 and that’s within my normal range.

My fast day routine is 2 scramble eggs for breakfast and 100 calorie soup for lunch (premade and frozen) then 250 calorie tea (mainly raw veg). But for the past 2 weeks what I’ve been doing is a half fast after particularly naughty non-fast days, so the scrambled egg for breakfast and 100 cal soup for lunch and normal evening meal. I think it’s just balancing out my weekly calories. Just a tip for Una maybe and others that might have reached a plateau.

How is everyone else doing?
    Ginette are you fasting today?
    L

Hi ladies,

Quick post courtesy of tesco free wifi!

Wedding went great, had fabulous day, no rain, will post when I am home.

Good luck everyone, stay strong

Audrey

Audrey,

So pleased you had a fabulous day!
    Were you gorgeous?

Strength to you too

L

Hi Nemum

Well done, fantastic……I am so pleased for you.

Yes fast days for me are Monday and Wednesday’s only an extra fast days on Friday if I go over the top on other days.

It is so nice to be under that sone mark. Let’s hope you get there soon. You sound as if you have fast days worked out well.

I eat almost the same things every fast day, only the fruit or yoghurt changes before my evening meal. This depends on how much my piece of chicken weighs. I always do it in the microwave so no additions and really tender too. Because it is spicy it doesn’t detract from the flavour doing it this way and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Hi Audrey

I am so glad that the wedding went so well, you were looking forward to it so much. Did you get any comments about weight loss?

You worked so hard to lose this weight, it must have been a proud day all around.

Ginette

Ginette,

Chicken is great on fast days and never tastes so good. I sometimes do mine in the oven wrapped in tin foil to keep all the juices in, and slice it in the middle and put in onion and peppers and cougettes, so they all steam together … lovely!

Happy fast day, mine is tomorrow

L

Congratulations on your weight loss NEmum!!! Thank you Ginette and NEmum for your support and tips. I am going to try to include the half fast day.
    I am fasting today. Always a little easier to fast when I am working. Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow. It always tastes so good.

Una

Oh yes one last thing- so NEmum – you said to make sure the fast starts the night before? So you when you last eat the day before the fast… if you eat at 6pm then you would not be able to eat breakfast until 6am after the fast day? Is that what you mean?

Una,

Yes that’s exactly it. If you read the book, Michael Moseley states that the fast works best if it is – night, day, night. So if your fast day is Monday, then don’t eat after your evening meal on Sunday, fast on Monday, then start eating at breakfast again Tuesday morning. It seems a long time, but you’re sleeping for a lot of it. Of course this is not always possible and if all you can manage is a 24 hour fast for whatever reason, then don’t beat yourself up over it, 24 hours is better than nothing.

L

NEmum,

Thank you! I have been doing it wrong! Anyhow, today I waited until 8am to break my fast because the last time I ate before the fast was 8pm. (8 almond m and m’s) And p.s. you are right that I don’t want to have to worry about calories on the other days and want it to be a lifestyle.

Also, Ginette, I like your idea of counting calories with my fitness pal for just a couple weeks to tune in to what the calories are. That’s doable.

Hopeople you are doing well. Thanks for your support. I am enjoying my non fast day today.

Una

H Una

Yes it is only a couple of weeks and it truly gives you a good idea. At the end of this time it starts to become easy to guess. I always keep a rough idea in my head as I know this will help. I really don’t want to write everything down every day either.

It worked for me, in fact to my surprise I was eating well under.

If you go into the settings on My fitness Pal you can enter your details, height weight etc. then what weight you would like to achieve. It will give you a realistic calorie allowance. Mine is just over 1500. I normally am amount 200 under but a couple of days a week I may go under.

I always count on the fast days. I found it made me feel in control. I great feeling.

My week is as follows Mon, weds fast days. Friday either low calorie (about 800) or a fast day. The rest of the week relax and just be mindful. This way I feel as if I have the best of both worlds. Weight loss, treats and in control.

As I have a long way to go I keep to the same routine.

You will find the best way for you.

Ginette

Sorry I meant to say Hi to you Nemum. You gave Una some sound advice.

Ginette

One to make you smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjB5DiJTuAo

Ginette

Ginette,

So funny, I clicked on your youtube link, expecting some dieting advice, or shock food additive facts. That was such a welcome giggle for a Friday. The final bit made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

We are taking our youngest for fish and chips now and I’m going to try really hard not to have any. Wish me luck.

X

Hi Nemum

I’m glad you enjoyed it. It made me laugh too! I thought it was really clever.

I must admit I would probably restrict myself to one slice of bread and a few chips. I am not able to resist completely.

Have a good weekend.

Ginette

Hi all,

Today should be my first fast day of the week but I have the mother and father of all colds. I didn’t know whether i should just soldier on but my need for comfort food has taken over, and I’ve succumbed to hot choc and toast. Has anyone else done a fast when they’re poorly?

L

Hi Nemum

Luckily I haven’t been ill since I started. Summer colds are rough though so just spend a few days getting better.

Ginette

Hi NEmum

how’s things?

Im a great believer in old wives tales, so ‘feed a cold’ makes sense to me, though probably warming soups rather than choccie biscuits, though I think a chocolate biscuit and a cup of tea helps with just about anything in life!!!!!

Get the duvet out and keep warm!

Hi Ann,
    I’ve recently heard about No Lipo Lipo from Carole Maggio, found some info on http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34409 and ordered it… Waiting to receive it so have no feedback, but it seems a lot of ladies there have positive feedback, although it looks it requires a lot of time and hand strength…
    Hope this helps.

Ginette- liked your you tube piggy video

NEMUM hope you feel better soon. I haven’t ever done the fast when ill.

take care

Sorry to butt in LOACAs….
    If you write down your most commonly used foods, and the calorie count for a normal portion, you will quickly get a handle on it. You don’t have to tediously record everything you eat, you can make a quick mental calculation. You learn to make wiser choices when you realise that (a) has half the calories of (b) but tastes just as good and may even be more fulfilling. I’d rather have half a bottle of wine than muffin any day, for example. 🙂

We both lost 1 kg a week for the initial months of 5:2 (over 2 years ago now) by honestly assessing which foods gave the biggest hit for the lowest calories and sticking to them, even on non fast days. Another tip, try to eat the quantities you should realistically eat at your goal weight, not your current weight, on non fast days. By doing this, you lose weight more quickly and reset your idea of meal sizes long term. Cut out as many starchy carbs and any snacks as you can until you reach goal. We both took 1 year, exactly, to lose about 30kg each. We have maintained this for well over a year, fasting occasionally, but really having a far greater understanding about food that is worth eating. To quote someone on another thread “Nothing tastes as good as thin.”
    Good luck girls. You can do it. It just takes self control. Cheers Purple

Purple,

There is no butting in on the forum … everyone is welcome … so welcome to you!

Firstly well done on the 30lb weight loss, fantastic result. A year is a sensible timescale for that too. I totally agree with you that we need to reset our idea of what ‘normal’ eating is, both portion size and taste. I’m still at the start of my journey but already tastes have changed and I no longer need carbohydrate with every meal and some foods now just taste too sweet, and after 40 years of drinking coffee with sugar, I can’t believe how quickly I weaned myself off it.

Keep up the good work, and this time next year, I hope to be writing a post like yours!

L

Hi NEmum
    We each lost 60lbs (30 kg – I’m in Australia). This time, next year you can easily be at goal. Just stick with it. Set a goal and go for it. Taking too long to do it means loss of incentive. Weigh every day. rejoice in your success. Get to goal, replace all your clothes and enjoy the rest of your life! p 🙂

P

I was impressed enough with 30lb, but 30kg … Oh my, you must look like different people! I’m having a rough few days, I have the mother and father of all colds right now, I considered a fast day and usually start it with 2 scrambled egg but today, combined it with 2 slices of bread, and made eggy bread. I am yearning comfort food in my self pity, but I guess i haven’t sinned to much.

Keep in touch, I think we could all benefit from your wisdom.

L

Wow P. Between you and your SO you lost a person! What an accomplishment for you both. What I find so encouraging and motivating is that you have kept it off. As I am about to embark on maintenance (hopefully by next week), you give me real hope and inspiration that I will be able to maintain my weight and this WOL.

Purple,
    this is impressive. And your hints are great 🙂
    It is lovely to have such a role model!

When I was ill recently, I have to admit I ate a lot on non fast days… And did 5:2 instead of 4:3… Surprise surprise no weight loss… Although I do remember previously when I was ill, I usually lost weight when I wasn’t dieting . Get well soon Nemum!

Hi Maggie and DJ

Hi Purple as you know I have only just posted to you on another thread.

I hope you are feeling better Nemum.

Ginette

Hi all,
    quick post courtesy of Mr tesco again!

Glad you are all doing ok, Nemum hope you are better soon

I am staying at van for another couple of weeks will keep up to date with you all and post when I can.

Stay strong ladies.

Regards to all

Audrey

To all

Thank you so much, for your wished and kind words. I am indeed on the mend, my voice is returning, which is just as well, as I have a job interview tomorrow, I hope my red sore nose heals by tomorrow too, lots of vaseline I think.

I have not been fasting but have been mindful of what I have eaten, so will see. I have no intention of weighing myself for a week or so anyway, so will get in some fast days.

Is your van anywhere nice Audrey? Wishing you nice weather, I saw the sunshine this afternoon …

L

Hi Nemum

I am glad you are feeling better.

Hi Audrey nice to see you pop your head in.

Here is something shocking!!

Actor reveals how he gained more than a stone and developed fatty liver disease after eating low fat foods for 60 days… because they were packed with SUGAR
    http://dailym.ai/1QS0CVb

Ginette

Ginette,

Sugar is EVIL!

And I should know, I’ve had too much this week. Feeling rotten at the at the start of the week because of a cold and now feel rotten at the end of the week, because I had job interview yesterday and didn’t get the job. So now I’m comfort eating again. And the sugar is not helping.

Will get back to fasting next week.

How is everyone else doing?

NEmum

I have read quite a few posts from LOACA. I started the diet at the beginning of June and can cope with the 2 day fasts. However I find now that by the time I am ready for my next fast day I have gained the pounds that I have lost. I am the wrong side of 70 and have about 20lbs to lose. I lost 5lbs fairly easily but now find that unless I restrict my calories on the non fast days to about 1100 I put the weight back on. I have checked my BMR which is 1211 calories and my TDEE is 1665 calories so I should be able to eat more on non fast days What’s going on here and can anyone explain or help please as I feel I am on a diet every day.

Anabelle

I feel your frustration, and firstly well done on the 2 fast days a week but living on 1100 calories a day is no life at all. There is definitely something that is not sitting right with what you are eating. I am no expert I would like to say, and I am only a few months into this myself but I have found what is working for me, and with a 7lb loss, I am happy so far.

I have been looking at food combining, or rather foods that are not good when they are combined, this way you can have everything you want on Non Fast Days (NFD) but just not at the same time. The main food combining that should never be eaten together is fats and carbs and in particular animal fats. There is a reason for this – fats do not make you fat unless there is insulin in the blood stream, no insulin and then fats just get metabolised and leave the body. What raises your insulin levels are carbs, this included both the sugar types and the starchy types, so fats and carbs together will turn it all to fat.

Doing a diet this way, you can still have eggs for breakfast, or a sausage, but not with the bread. A rule of thumb is if it has a face or has come from something with a face then don’t eat it with anything without a face. So eggs, meat, milk, butter all are face food. Grains, fruit, veg and soya milk have no face. I would not call this a diet more a lifestyle choice. Mostly I have 2 scrambled egg for breakfast but for days I want to have cereal I will have it with soya milk, because to have cows milk with cereal would be mixing face and non face. And also the health benefits of soya milk is immense for us post menopausal women because of the plant eostrogens.

The biggest sin is cakes and biscuits, and sausage rolls and pastries. All the yummy stuff really! I’m not saying don’t eat any of this stuff again but just be mindful and not have too much.

All of this comes from Zoe Harcombe (The Harcombe Diet) her diet is pretty severe, with no processed food and minimal carbs. I have just taken bits of it that suit me and I feel better for it. So have a think about the foods you eat and what you food groups you are consuming at the same meal. Good luck to you and stay in touch.

NEmum

Hi I’m 46 and peri menopausal, the last 12 months I’ve added a stone onto the extra stone I was carrying. In the past I’ve turned to weightwatchers and found the weight did come off. The last 12 months I’ve tried both weightwatchers and slimming world to shift some of this weight but it really doesn’t seem to be budging and I’m getting demoralised. I’ve put both the weight gain and lack of shifting it down to the hormones. So here I go attempting the 5:2, day one, please wish me luck and fingers crossed it helps!

acraftyq

Welcome to the 5:2 and our forum.

Good luck with your fasting, you will get hungry for the first few, but stay strong.
    This is not a quick way to lose weight, it took my weeks to lose my first pound on 5:2. But for me the health benefits made me stick with it, I always feel fantastic the day after a fast, so clean fresh and full of energy.

Wishing you well

NEmum

Wishing you luck, Like you I have tried many diets but the pounds come back too easily. I eat fairly healthy but the portion control monitor (me) have been malfunctioning since my children left home. Today I have replaced the monitor for a more reliable source – a modern thing called food weighing scales! Again good luck and keep strong

Hi NEmum
    Thank you so much for your encouraging reply. I will take your advice and see what I am eating on non fast days, I may be eating more than I think. I know age is against me and that it will be harder for me. I read a thread about easy on easy off which was interesting and made sense but I need more off than on! Will keep you posted.

Hi Annabelle

I think that your NFD calorie intake should be fine. I know some people think that one calorie is the same as another but a coca cola or piece of white bread are not nutritionally very good for you. Protein for example chicken takes the body more effort to break down and so burns more calories in the digestion process.

I do love carbs but have lowered them dramatically. I found that once I started eating less carbs I felt better and eating protein doesn’t give me a sugar spike. Of course when I talk about carbs I really mean potatoes, rice, pasta and sweet things.

When I was eating a lot of carbs I found that I was putting on weight. I was on a slimming world diet and limited meat protein days were the ones I chose. I counted calories when I realised that I wasn’t losing although this was not part of the diet. I was eating about 1700. This should have resulted in a small loss at least.

If you do cut down on the carbs above and eat protein and lots of vegetables you will find that your body needs less of the carbs that I have mentioned above. You should also get a reduction in weight. What you eat has an effect on your metabolism. What I am writing here is obviously what I have found and also the experiences of my friends.

I find I eat about 1200 – 1500 calories but sometimes struggle to eat this if I haven’t included treats.

I went on the fast beach diet which is like 5:2 without treats and in six weeks I lost 16lb. I did have a meal out three if these weeks with a small ice cream. I did also eat a limited amount of carbs bread (wholemeal granary) 2/3 times a week, potatoes 2/3 time a week. So I didn’t find it too bad. I also did 4:3 instead of 5;2 on 4/5 of these weeks.

I think it may help to look at what you are eating not just the calorie content. I hope this helps.

I have just read NEmums post and this may also be worth trying. We are not all the same so it is a little trial and error. I forgot to mention that I think I must have cereal about once every three weeks, this will usually be porridge or weetabix.

Hi Nemum

I am so pleased that you are really giving the foods you eat a lot of thought. 7lbs is a brilliant loss and you probably notice the difference.

Well done for all the good advice and support that you are giving.

Hi Arty

Well done for trying 5:2. I thought this way as well. At slimming world although some of the recipes were lovely I didn’t really manage to lose weight, then as soon as I stopped I put it on and more besides. This is a familiar tale here.

I knew someone who suggested 5:2 as they had lost weight this way. After Christmas and the new year I decided to start although I allowed time to finish Christmad foods off. I started in the second week of January and I have lost two and a half stone so far. I also lost a stone before starting from May to January.

I wish you luck and will add a link below in a post to a post I started to help new people.

Hi Dottie

Yes I do weigh everything on fast days. It works for me. Good luck.

Ginette

Sorry, better late than never.

Here is the link

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/my-10-week-weight-loss-week-by-week/

Ginette

Hi Ginette K and NEmum
    This is my first foray into online chat and am so inspired by your interest, help and support. My fast days are Monday and Thursday usually so today(Tue) I will be writing down what I eat so that I can see the amount of calories consumed and what effect it will have on my weight loss. I weigh each day because at the moment I am quite new to this and as mentioned in an earlier post tend to put on what I lose although, I have lost some and not put on. I have to confess to some social eating and drinking but that is my lifestyle and I hope the whole point of this diet is that it allows you to do that
    You are so right. One size does not fit all and you have to see what works for you. I read an interesting bit in the revised version of the Fast Diet book to the effect that willpower is a muscle and the more you exercise it the stronger it gets. Quite a thought. Page 112 if you want to read the whole thing.
    The carbs thing is interesting and I have cut down on those.
    I only started this at the beginning of June so it is early days yet. I think we are so brain washed by adverts for dramatic weight loss that we become impatient, I know I do, so I am trying to be very calm about a little by little approach. All the people I know who have huge losses end up putting it all back on again because that way of life is unsustainable. This seems much more do-able
    Will let you know how I get on.

Hi Annabelle

I too have read this book and the original one. I tend to be quite strict during the week and then relax a bit at weekends. I will go out midweek for a meal sometimes but if I have a dessert it is usually only a small ice cream.

Yes, you will find what works for you. Good luck on your fast day today.

Whereabouts do you live. In am in the south of England.

Ginette

Viewing 50 posts - 5,051 through 5,100 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.