HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,001 through 5,050 (of 7,330 total)

• well, just doing my bit to keep all of our minds active!!!

Be a bit of a shame if we all got the bodies of goddesses and couldn’t remember that we worked hard to get them!!!

Hi ginette,

We have a vibration plate machine

OH bought it in January sales off shopping channel once I started this WOL.

It’s very good, gives me a good tone up after my work out and shakes any stiffness off. I have found it good for my shoulders and neck it has seemed to help the stiffness off them as you know I have arthritis and spondylitis so anything that helps that for me is great,

I don’t think it helps lose weight tho, more for toning up.

Audrey

Hi Mrs Pad ….. A bit suspicious about you. This forum is about support and encouragement, maybe this is spam.

Hi All

Sorry to hear the reason that you were awake. Nice to have company in the wee small hours. How is she today?

Hi Audrey

Well have hear about this a couple of times and tried to work out how it works. You just stand on it as I understand – strange! I really need to tone up and although they came out a long time ago I see that they are really expensive. I am glad that you have got good results.

Mmmmmmm interesting……

Have a good day all

Ginette

Hi Nemum

How are things?

Ginette

Hi All

An interesting read. Really helpful for those that are suffering with their knees as well.

Another reason not to put off that diet! Losing even a FEW pounds has a dramatic effect on your joints and risk of diabetes, says leading doctor
    http://dailym.ai/1HFXsfI

Hi Fran

How are you??

Link above may interest you.

Ginette

Ginette,

We have something called a vibra power machine I saw them on ideal world shopping channel but picked one up from eBay.

It’s very good, seems to be toning me up I know when I went for my op on leg they said I had good muscles and asked if I did a lot of walking! As if!

Have a look out on shopping channel they seem to have them on pretty regularly you can see what they do there, shout if you need any more information

good morning to all you lovely ladies hope you are all well, fran are you still with us?

Audrey

Ginette,

I am well and happy. Just had the most fabulous weekend in London, I met up with friends while NEdad and little M and H watched their beloved football team get beat at Wembley. Lots of food though we ate turkish first night and Indian the second, proper Indian food from a temple restaurant, vegetarian with so many flavours … mmm. But something didnt agree with me because about an hour after I thought I had a huge thist at first but after a litre of water and 2 mugs of tea, the back of my palate was still pulsating. OK now but haven’t eaten much since.

I still made good choices tho, for the car journey home we packed pork pies, chicken sandwiches, crisps, NEdad insisted on buying a bar of chocolate for everyone, I packed some raspberries and of course a flask of tea. Everyone ate and enjoyed and I enjoyed watching them eat but they didn’t notice I only nibbled on the raspberries and drank tea. But what is the huge mind change for me is that I still enjoyed our car picnic home, knowing that everyone else was provided for. A few weeks ago I would have felt like I was depriving myself by not eating what everyone else was eating and would have resented the situation. Huge steps forward.

I’ll leave weighing myself til the end of the week tho

That was a big ramble … how are you?

Nemum

Sounds like you have had a great weekend away isn’t it good to finally feel in control of food instead of it controlling us?

Glad to see you have a handle on 5 2. Have a great week.

Audrey

Hi Nemum

Ok, I completely forgot you would maybe still be away yesterday.

I am glad about your food choices, Audrey is right you are now completely in control and this is showing on the scales. It gets easy past a certain stage.

Maybe the reason for this is explained below:

This is a link from another thread so I have watched it and found it fascinating. It really shows how we got to be so overweight in the beginning.

I am sure you will love this. It takes 5 minutes to go through the video, but it is 5 minutes well spent.

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-nicole-avena

Ginette

Thanks for that Ginette,

I’ve just watched it, very interesting and I love the graphics. Not really sure out all the science claims. I just remember as kids (late 60s early 70s) we all ate bags of sweeties, usually by the quarter (or 2oz if we were a little short) from big glass jars in the newsagents. We ate far more sweets than I ever see kids eat these days, all of us always had a boiled sweet in our pocket. And we all gave up eating our sugary confectionery when we grew up. This is where my issue is, there are far more overweight and even obese children now than then. So it’s not the sugar that’s making our children fat because there is a decline in the purely sugary sweeties and by those I mean the ones we ate as kids, cola cubes, rhubarb and custard, barley balls, sherbet, midget gems, humbugs, refreshers, dolly mixtures and oh the lollipops. Now chocolate has taken over as the sweet treat of choice by children and adults alike. This is where the problem lies. It’s the lethal combinations of fats with the sugars. Lethal but delicious. It’s the high fat and sugar foods that are causing the western world to become obese.

That’s why it is possible to lose weight on a low carb diet, as it is to lose weight on a low fat diet because neither are really deadly on their own, only in combination. There is a lady called Zoe Harcombe that has done 20 years of research on the subject.

Anyway how are you today, I’ve made myself the most delicious and huge Vegan Korma, so much flavour and all for 300 calories and it’s not even a fast day.

L

Hi Nemum

Sugar is hidden in many foods, bread, cereal, youghurt. Just look at the labels. When we can’t digest the amount of carbohydrates we eat, have a guess what it terms into. That is the reason that diets like Atkins and low carbs do well for a short while.

Personally good luck to anybody on them but I have had friends who did brilliantly on the Atins, they found it was not sustainable and they stopped, they have put all the weight back on and more, so sad for them. I know I can sustain this as it isn’t that restricted. I only wish I had known about this years ago so I could stop my son being addicted to any king of carbs.

He is struggling but it is difficult to say anything although I have a little. I hope that he will be inspired to change by seeing results in me.

I was unaware just how bad carbs can be for you and of course I still have them, I just find I need them less. We will all find the right way for us.

You are doing really well so something has changed. Long may it continue.

I really do believe that you can eat and drink everything in moderation. Also think about the sales of fizzy drink look up how many spoonfuls of sugar are in a can also wine, beer and many drinks are packed with it.

You may be surprised at some of the labels.

I love or maybe should say loved crunchy nut cornflake. I don’t eat them often as I know they are not good for you. I bought a packet last May – delicious, I really enjoyed them…..fast forward to this April. I though I would treat myself again. I poured some in a bowl and was really looking forward to them. I found them really difficult to eat the were SO very sweet.

Also I had a yogurt that I couldn’t really eat. Far too sweet…….

Yes, I’m fine thanks fast day today. The Korma sounds lovely.

Ginette

To generalise. It is the sugary drinks making the world fat. From the worst offender, Coca Cola, to fruit juices, and that includes diet drinks which are just as bad for you. That and portion sizes. Fat is beneficial to health.

It is far easier to drink a massive amount of calories than it is to eat them. And that is what most overweight people do.

I have ditched sugar, but I do make exceptions for homemade cake, and everything I eat is full fat. I am about half a stone away from my ideal weight so it is working.

Liquids only today, going well. I am looking forward to my porridge in the morning 🙂

Happy Fasting!

Hi Applepie

Yes that was something I forgot to mention, a lot of fats are good like butter but saturated fat and synthetic fats of the kind they used in margarine aren’t.

I love cream, not so much butter unless it is put on sparingly. I do like using it for cooking though especially eggs. It must come from my French background. My mother always used butter to cook.

Ginette

NEmum, my experience growing up in the 60’s and 70’s was very different than yours. I only had candy as a special treat and zero fast or prepared foods. People today eat way more sugar or it’s equivalent in refined starches. Those huge sodas are jammed with frutose the worst kind of sugar. You are correct that a lot more fat is consumed as well in all the burgers and frys.

Hi Diverdog

Nice to see you here.

Yes as you say all the fizzy drinks can do untold damage. We rarely had them as children, not because they weren’t available, but they were treated as treats. Every once in a while. I have never been addicted to them, so it must have worked for me.

Ginette

For all of those with children ar grandchildren. This is shocking.

‘Healthy’ fruit snacks with more sugar than Haribo: Packet of raisins or yoghurt coated strawberry pieces have more than four teaspoons per serving
    http://dailym.ai/1G4zihD

I have had them myself…..obviously young at heart!!

Ginette

Hi All

Chocolate and hazelnut crepes have just popped up in an email. I won’t be going there this week!!

This is interesting. It shows three women who are not really overweight although one of them her BMI was out of the healthy range. They see what toning up in the gym can do. Pictures are impressive. They should have chosen some of us…..maybe even more impressive.

Can you really get a perfect bikini body in just EIGHT weeks? Three normal women hit the gym to find out… and here’s how they got on
    http://dailym.ai/1FHkjH9

I hope you are all ok, a bit quiet on here. Nemum and Sylv it seems like a long time since you posted. I just though I would tell you as I’m not sure if this is keeping you away that Jaye has left the forum. She posted it on another thread. You will now receive the support and encouragement that you both deserve.

Ginette

For anyone interested, good for people new to the diet or not.

A 5:2 book with a quick run through if the diet. Really so much more than a recipe book. All links can be accessed from the first page. It is completely free and all online.

http://75.127.114.162/~degustin/52diet/The_5_2_Diet_Recipe_Book.pdf

Ginette

Hi All

Very quiet here. I hope you are all well and check in this weekend.

Well as promised:

Well had my final weight in again and I have lost 3lbs for the final week.

So that is a good loss for the final week on FBD.

So just fast beach diet

Week 1 – 3lbs
    Week 2 – 5lbs
    Week 3 – 1lb
    Week 4 – 2lbs
    Week 5 – 2lbs
    Week 6 – 3lbs

Total on FBD 16 lb or 1 stone 2lb. A great result.

I only found out yesterday that Milena was telling little porkies and that some treats were allowed. Ok course I did have these in the form of a small ice cream, three weeks in a row as I went out and 1 midget gem, I felt very guilty about these but still ate them. 🙂 So I have to thank Milena for this. She was really good throughout giving up wine and treats!! So good on her, she has done brilliantly not to have anything.

I was a little worried about the 5lb week….too much in a week!

Anyhow I have today and tomorrow to go and next week I can relax.

Have a good weekend.

Ginette

Ginette,

Congratulations to you. What an awesome accomplishment. I admire your motivation and grit.

I don’t have it in me to do the fbd right now…. I have been faithful to the 5:2.

Wow Ginette, you have done amazingly well! 6 weeks without barely any treats, I couldn’t do it. Respect!

Thank you Una and Applepie

You just need Milena she motivates also the mid fifties thread is great. Lots of lovely people. Apple pie is on that as well.

Maybe you are not that age, I am not diabetic but I’m on the reversing diabetes one as a visitor, also I am on the 70s 80s and 90s thread. I am not anywhere near that but one day I will be. I hope I will never be diabetic.

I just get around (forum wise)!!

Have a read of it.

I have just written a massive post and just lost it as I checked spellings and then forgot to submit.

What a wally now I have to have a trip out to take my neighbour to get a battery for his car. So it will need to wait until I get back.

Again I would say with reference to the FBD it was easier after the first week. I did have an small ice cream on weeks 2/3/4 as I went out.

So yes very pleased. Milena is talking about doing it again in 4 weeks time!! We haven’t finished this one yet!!

Have a good weekend all glad to know that you are ok

Ginette

Ginette, you didn’t mention our “secret” Facebook group, you and Milena are in that too. Yes you certainly do get around, nothing wrong with that, with all your great advice and motivation. Milena is a tough cookie, doing it again?!! I couldn’t do it once.

I am absolutely shatterred. I have been cooking all day ready for our neighbours buffet tomorrow. They had better appreciate it. My OH keeps suggesting we hide some, he loves his food.

Anyone else want to join us on Facebook, just click my name for my profile.

Hi Apple pie

That is its name isn’t it? Hide some….well it’s a thought!

I am sure that eating it will be better than preparing it so relax and enjoy it. You deserve that….

Ginette

Ginette,
    A huge well done to you!
    You should he very proud of yourself. You have truly been rewarded for your hard work

L

Thank you Nemum

I am really pleased with that result and planning to go out for lunch this week. I don’t know if you have Toby carvery near you. But they have lovely vegetables and I have been avoiding the Yorkshire during FBD.

They are offering a free dessert so it will be nice to have whatever I want, guilt free. It is only £6.50 so a bargain price.

How are you doing? Are you still in the swing or struggling?

Let me know.

Ginette

One for all of you who like pasta:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11167883/Cool-and-reheat-pasta-to-make-it-less-fattening.html

I had bare names noodles today as a pasta, it really wasn’t the same. I then remembered afterwards that I could have done this.

How annoying. Something to remember for next time. It also mentions rises in blood sugars.

Ginette

Great link Ginette thank you. When I lived in Italy, my family (I was an au-pair) always cooled the pasta right down under the cold tap after cooking, to ensure it didn’t continue to cook, and remained al dente, before adding it to the sauce. I wonder if that counts?

Ginette

Struggling doesn’t come close. There are times when I need food as my comfort and this is one if them. But I’m keeping up with the forum even if I’m not contributing. I’ll get back to it when I can.
    Enjoy your carvery, you certainly deserve it.

L

Hi Applepie

No sadly it wouldn’t count as it wasn’t cooled and then reheated. I worked in an Italian reassurance and we used to precook the pasta before the evening and reheat so our customers were getting the benefit. However when we had finished we had freshly cooked pasta. All pasta was served al dente. So we didn’t get the benefit…… If only I had known that.

There is also the benefit of having a home made ready meal, with no nasty additives. Win, win.

Hi Nemum

As long as you are ok. Are you still losing? Don’t forget you will help others as well when you can get back to it.

I am really looking forward to my carvery AND dessert…… 🙂

Ginette

Thanks Ginette for the info about the pasta!

Your welcome Una

FBD is now officially finished. Phew!

Have a good week.

Ginette

Ginnete,

I have heard about the pasta thing too, I tried it a few times, but it takes too much planning and I’d forgotten about it, but will certainly try that again, pasta is such a favourite in our house.

Right I’m taking the advise I gave Fran … I’m tackling Fast Day one meal at a time; I’ve just had my 2 scrambled eggs and a herbal tea, and now I’m going to make another batch of 100 calorie soup; today I’m making Spicy Carrot and Lentil, I’ll you update later.

Who else is fasting today … and what are you all eating?

L

Hi Nemum

Yes in truth so had I. I was reading something that reminded me.

I shall have melon this afternoon and spicy chicken and vegetables this evening.

Ginette

Ginette,

Sounds good. I have now made my soup, perhaps a little too spicy, all the better to get the metabolism going, but really tasty. I’m just letting it cool before splitting it for freezing.

Planning on a but if fish for tea with tomato, cucumber and a 0 fat yogurt dressing. But as I said earlier, I’m taking today one meal at a time.

Despite my week off from thinking about good food choices ive still kept off the 4lb lost from the other week, so pleased.

L

Hi Nemum

Spicy soup sound delicious. Well done on keeping the 4lbs off. You will find a renewed push and then it will all fall into place.

I hear the weather is horrible wind, gales and rain forecast and then a heatwave starting the end of the week. Looks like moving from soup to sugar free jelly in a week 🙂

Mad weather!! I shall certainly be having sugar free jelly at the end of the week. Lime jelly with coconut and lime Muller light youghurt, sound delicious to me!

Keep in touch.

Ginette

Ginnete,

I’m popping low fat yogurt in ice pop makers just in case of the heatwave, but looking at the rain and winds right now, I find it hard to believe, I’ve even had to put the heating on, but then again, I am always cold on fast days.

I am delighted that I managed to fast today, I just took it one meal at a time. Tonight’s tea was just gorgeous. I cooked a bit of white fish in some soya milk. And for salad mixed tomatoes and cucumber with yogurt, lemon juice and a splash of cider vinegar. After weighing it all realised I had 60 calories left, so I splashed out and had 38g of avocado … oh my why do fast day meals taste so so delicious?

I love a jelly, but aren’t the sugar free ones full of artificial sweeteners, I stay will clear of that aspartame.

Do your sleep better after a fast day? I do, looking forward to a good nights sleep.

L

Hi Nemum

Yes a really good idea. Yes it seems hard to believe that there will be a heatwave! Yes I know about the sweeteners. I usually keep clear of them but once in a while have them. I use stevia if I need to sweeten anything.

Yes I sometimes get cold, I don’t sleep well at all, very disturbed nights often.

Hope fully these will improve in time. My tablets for blood pressure cause sleeplessness and nightmares. So I am doing all I can to improve it and reduce the tablets. It would be nice to return to a normal life as well.

Still there are people with many more problems than mine. I can with tone overcome mine other people cannot.

Glad your day went well. I am just going to eat now.

Ginette

Hi All

A recipe that I posted some time ago. Truly delicious, easy to make and 370 calories.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535184/hairy-biker-s-spanish-style-chicken-bake

Ginette

hi ,ladies ! just encourage each other then we will get want we want ….

Hi Claire

Welcome to the thread, the lady of a few words! Tell us a bit more about yourself.

Ginette

Claire,
    That’s what it’s all about – a bit of encouragement and shared stories. I would have given up weeks ago if it hadn’t been for this forum. Are you just starting out?

L

Fast Day!

Not sure my heart is in it, but I’ve started with my favourite fast breakfast – 2 scrambled eggs, lovely.

Who else is fasting?

Ginette,

Where are you?

I need someone not to join my boys in a Cornetto from the freezer

L

Hi Nemum

Well I must say your timing is spot on as I have just sat down with a cup of tea.

Don’t panic, I am here. I had decided it was about time I started catching up with the housework…..and you know what happens, I have decided to next week start a long overdue spring clean at some point next week.

I have made arrangements that now the nicer weather is here, I need to help my step mother with all of the gardening jobs she can’t manage. Her gardener has got hip problems and will only be able to do a few of them due to impending op. So I thought at least it would be a bit of exercise and that it will really help her as her health isn’t good.

She doesn’t have Internet connection, so even in the breaks I can’t be distracted by the forum.

Keep away from that corner. Have you tried freezing a dessert. I had a low calorie chocolate one that I used to always freeze in the summer. Ideal, it lasts for ages as it goes rock hard and is really satisfying as well. I have heard that yoghurts freeze well, but the one I tried ended up a bit icy. I may try this again. Best thing is to experiment.

Maybe get a lolly maker, liquidise small amounts or fruit and make into lollies. You will know exactly what is in there. I think cantaloupe melon would be nice and strawberries. They aren’t as good gor you as eating the fruit whole but a small one wound be nice, also for your children.

One of my summer favourites is strawberries (no added sugar) and half a youghurt…..just hits the spot.

You are doing well, stay strong and avoid temptation where you can. A meal out I think is you have been cutting back sugary treats and carbs, does deserve a small ice cream…..it then really feels like heaven and tastes delicious, you will appreciate it even more. Look into low calorie frozen desserts available and reserve them just for you. Check the sugar levels as they can be high. Remember 4g is one teaspoon and you can make an informed choice.

I am fasting today as I had a meal out yesterday. I like to be fasting free at weekends.

How are you coping this week?

Bear in mind that I will be out of Internet contact and may even stay over for one night so save driving back and forth, I will get more work done to the garden this way.

Ginette

Ginette,

You are a love, thank you for the encouragement. I managed to resist the temptation of the Cornetto and even managed to resist flapjack squares at a friends house when I popped round for a cuppa this evening (don’t know how much calories are in a splash of semi skimmed)

Hope you enjoyed your meal out, was it the Toby Carvery that you were talking about earlier? I’m going out tomorrow night, it’s payday and we always have a treat once a month, as you know it’s quite often a parmo (re previous posts when I found out they were around 1600 calories) and my eldest (12) has been so brave getting braces this week and our youngest (10) has been on about going to Pizza Hut for ages, so we’re going tomorrow evening. And do you know what … I’m going to let rip! I just love the salad bar, and since they did away with the single visit rule, I truly am in my element. I’m not kidding myself, I know it’s pretty high in calories as most of the salad stuff is in mayonnaise, but I’ve been so good.

Good on you for helping your step mum with her garden, good to be active too.

Loving the fruity ice lolly ideas, the frozen melon sounds lovely. I made a bizarre ‘treat’ for myself the other day. My friend is always telling me about the health benefits of Coconut oil, so I melted some, added rolled oats and cocoa powder, for a no sugar ‘chocolate’ treat. At 50 calories a square, they’re not half bad.

Fast day going well, just haven’t taken on enough water, getting a bit light headed this evening. How is yours going?

Enjoy you’re gardening and catch up with you when you get back

L

Have had the same problem before during and after menopause. I was at least 10 kilo’s too heavy an yo yo frequently, loosing weight and then treating myself, strange how those kilo’s come back so easily considering I was still careful. The fast diet put me on the right track and then I started getting Posts about the rubbishy chemicals manufacturers out in our foods and the effect on not only our gut flora but our weight. So I started reading a lot, my big change came after watching Dr Natasha Campbell McBride on you tube.
    I’ve radically cut out processed foods and eat organic foods, after being a vegetarian for many years I’ve started making stocks and fats from good meats for baking and using almonds to make flour my weight has reached a healthy 64 kilo’s for the first time in 30 years. On top of this my psyrosis has gone, no more hot flashes and I have the energy that I use to have pre menopause.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

Ann

Thanks for that I will check her out, have you heard of Zoe Harcombe and the Harcombe diet? She has a really interesting take on food combining, and also says stay well clear of processed food.

Having said that nobody is stopping me from enjoying my Pizza Hut tomorrow!

Well done on the 64kg, do you still fast?

L

Hallo Nemum,
    Will certainly look up the Harcombe Diet, always interested in new ideas. To answer your question, I still do one day fasting, today is my one day and I’m looking forward to breakfast tomorrow!
    Sometimes I also have a very unhealthy meal so really enjoy your pizza tomorrow. Another good recipe book is Hemsley and Hemsley ( two young English ladies that have a healthy popular restaurant in London, delicious meals, the make your own pizza is out of this world and also healthy).
    How long have you been doing the fast diet and is it working for you? My biggest problem and this is because of my age, I’ve lost all the excess fat but my skin has also lost the elasticity that it had before the menopause but you can’t win them all. So bikini days are not on my agenda! Has anyone any new revolutionary ideas about solving this apart from plastic surgery!
    Success, Ann Joyce

Ann

Saggy skin has been discussed on this forum before, and nobody has any solutions, sorry. I sadly don’t have the saggy skin problem because I am at the start of my journey, yesterday was my 14th fast over 9 weeks and lost a mere 5lb so far. And that’s OK because I’m in this for the long haul and if I continue at this rate then that might be 20lb off by Christmas, which would be great. I’m just glad to have started and doing something about my weight as my BMI was getting dangerously close to 40. At 5’9 I carry it quite well but as I get older it’s getting harder on my knees.

Is your slim 64kg due to 5:2? I love a good success story?

Viewing 50 posts - 5,001 through 5,050 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.