Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 5 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,701 through 4,750 (of 28,011 total)

• Thanks MK88! I just tried to get the Slendier rice and they’re out at my local Coles. Does it taste like rice or is it rice-shaped noodles?

Yes, CM, I am .1 off losing 19kgs. I’ll enjoy that new low today because tomorrow I fear will be a different story. I re-set my scales today and my further advanced age changed my BMI by .1% for the worse. Now how can that be?

Hi all. Wow thin19kilos- I love how the wardrobe expands and suddenly you have loads of clothes! And proves what I have always thought which is you can look great in almost anything if you are slim.
    Kiwi 88 I had to get a move on as I am 52 and got diagnosed with outrageously high blood pressure and probably had a stroke- mostly caused by stress at work but cardiologist keen to see how my blood pressure would respond to shedding a few- or more-kilos. So I fasted every 3rd day which got me in a good rhythm but then I also saw that eating too many grains just had me putting on too much weight in between fast days- even though I was being moderate in my calorie intake- so I have gone back to eating protein and loads of vegetables and salad which has greatly improved my weight loss and made me feel even better! Also, my blood pressure has improved considerably! Now like you all I just need to make this a long term life change.

Hi everyone and a warm welcome to you AC. You’ve done so well after just 4 months….12kg wow. So good to hear another positive report on BP. Yes, I know we all have our preset times when we lose the plot & fall off the wagon, so to speak. But I think most of us realise that this is a WOL now & once we reach our goals, we will continue on maintenance. Keep up the good work.
    Merry – great to hear from you. Sounds like you’re dealing well with the travelling so well. Hope I can be that strong when we’re away. How much longer are you in Kiwiland?
    Yep, I’m with you Thin. I need real food on my FDs. Tried those shakes once, but it didn’t satisfy me. Ravenous in no time! How’s your birthday going? Making yourself sound ancient!! The only difference between 58 & 59 is one day! Don’t stress about. Your still on a downward trend & look at how far you’ve come.
    FD for me today, so far so good. Just back from the bone cruncher…put my neck out about a month ago & thought it would get better all by itself….wrong. Woke up this morning with a cracker of a headache, so decided not to put it off any longer. This guy is a real gem. My neck is feeling so much better already…..just waiting for the headache to go now. Stay safe Intesha & Purple. Sounds like you’ve still got more to come. At least those poor souls on the cruise ship have been able to dock. I would’ve been a nice shade of green! CM xx

AC – ah, those pesky grains. I know what you mean. Have to steer clear of them myself most of the time, apart from the occasional treat at night. It’s amazing what a difference it makes when you drop them. Where are you located?
    Thin – a birthday & a new PB. what more could you ask for? Yay for you!
    Have to tell you that your pizza trick worked! New PB for me today too. Finally cracked 65 (just)……now 64.9, although it did think about 64.8 for a moment! Hope that pizza doesn’t catch up with me tomorrow! CM xx

Hi CharliesMum
    You must be looking good under 65! I am up on the Sunshine Coast hinterland but from Sydney originally- 24 years ago. My sister is in Narrabeen so I have been hearing about the wild weather. Good to know you also have the grain problem- this weight loss thing takes a great deal of commitment and determination.
    Also to Kiwi88- for the first 2-3 months I obsessively drank soda water with squeeze of lime just so I was putting something in my mouth.

Interested to hear how you’ve done this AC with FDs every 3rd day. That puts you just slightly ahead of the pack in terms of the number of FDs per month. I was considering doing something similar in reverse once I reach my goal weight – e.g. 3 FDs per 14 – because I’m sure I would start gaining weight on 6:1. I’ve just done my first AFD (Sun/Tues) and I didn’t like it at first because I barely had enough time to stuff anything in before Tuesday rolled around and I was fasting again. But now I’ve hit the scales at an all time low, I appreciate that that’s exactly the point of it.

Well done CM. Good work. The secret ingredient is pizza with equal quantities of pleasure & guilt for toppings. Sorry to hear you’re under the weather today and hope you soon feel good again. That new weight must be helping. Brilliant.

A just a quick pop in between the rain…mind boggling 330mm in 3 days!
    The Slendier products all taste similar, but if included as part of a really tasty dish really bulk it out. This is particularly important as the weather cools.
    My son gave up all grains and has cured his hay fever. Very inconvenient, but worth the effort if you are so afflicted.
    Back to the bailing….P 🙂
    PS I saw some of the no longer stranded cruise ship passengers paddling along George Street in the rain today. They looked relieved to be on dry (?) land. 😉

Wow AnneChristine, you are seriously dedicated! It’s obviously paying off though, how cool that you’ve lost all that weight and fixed your blood pressure! I will try your lime and soda trick tomorrow, how many calories in that? Thank you for the tips! I love my bread, I buy the lowest calorie bread I can find. I so don’t want to give it up!

Hope you’ve had a good birthday Thin, no need to be down about your age when you have acheived SO much! In my opinion the slimrice is pretty much the same taste and texture as the pasta varieties, just in rice form.

Glad you’re feeling better CM, do you see an osteopath or a chiropractor?

Hi MK88. Thanks, I’m feeling much better & headache almost gone. Ron’s a “manipulative therapist”. His Dad is the same (now 83 and still working!). Normally only one visit, unless you leave it too long (like me) & then you might have one follow-up. Have referred so many people to him, including my hairdresser who couldn’t walk or sit 2 months ago. She is now referring everyone!! He never advertises, all by word-of-mouth. OHs family have been seeing him/his dad for decades. That’s good enough for me. So hard to find a really good chiro. CM xx

FDs every 3rd day, now that’s an interesting idea AC. I think I’d prefer your way to my M, W, & semi-FD Friday, but I like to keep my weekends clear. Seems to have worked really well for you though. How much exercise do you do? I’m a Brissie girl, living in Perth. Sunshine Coast is my favourite place in the whole world – where are you in the hinterland – up Maleny way or out the back of Maroochy/Coolum/Noosa? Anywhere up there is God’s country…very jealous! CM xx

Wow he sounds magic! That’s a good find! Glad he’s fixed you and you’re feeling better 🙂 I’ve never heard of a manipulative therapist.

Have a good night all, FD for me tomorrow. MK88 🙂

Hi all.
    CM I live just north west of Noosa on a little organic farm and yes looking out my window ‘gods country’ is a good description. Every 3rd day can be done by fasting any 3 days one week and 2 the next if you don’t want to do weekends. It actually helped me discipline myself- since dropping grains I am only fasting 5:2 but keeping the other up my sleeve for the inevitable plateau!
    MK88: I exercise 6 days a week for 20-30 mins as the cardiologist says that new research says we need to exercise 7 days a week for health benefits- I feel like I have to burst out with a Steve Irwin !crikey at this point. I didn’t count lime in calories- just used a squeeze at a time so probably only one lime in the day. Will be interested to hear if it helps.

Are you all near your goal weights- does it get more difficult to lose as you get closer?
    Also CM I am with you- I very much doubt that 6:1 will keep me maintained so hoping like you that a 3:14 will work. I gather that if Michael Moseley does 6:1 then you get the health benefits from that small amount of fasting??

Hi again
    Forgot to say, PVA good to hear about your son- my daughter has just given up grain for the same reason.
    And CM I am not surprised you lost that weight- ADF seems to week but I like to think of it as a secret weapon rather than use it all the time- it is not easy!

Morning all, hope everyone’s feeling good today and ready for your Thursday FD, those who are fasting including you MK88.

AC, if you’d asked yesterday I would have said I was close to my goal weight. A bit of a blow out today after last night’s glass of wine, slice of carrot cake (made surprisingly well by teen in response to my request for no mud cake this year) and the Indian restaurant which is our new favourite Indian place. That was the first time I have eaten so much in a very long time and I felt disgustingly stuffed when we got home. Before 5:2 I’d have been eating like that on a regular basis. So much easier to control what you eat at home – even so, it was just one plate of food, no entree/dessert/extras. I’m 900gms up this morning but I feel perfectly calm about it in the scheme of 5:2 because I know what to do. Not happy but not panicking either.

But to get back to your question, I’m losing weight at a slow but steady pace and I prefer it that way. I feel that the longer the weight loss component of 5:2 lasts, the more time I will have had to learn to eat proper portion sizes and make healthier food choices (last night notwithstanding!). Yes, I believe that Dr M must believe that a single day of fasting still delivers the other health benefits. As you say, the weight loss alone delivers so many benefits, better blood readings, lower BP and so on. Have a great day everyone.

Hi All, well I’m still hovering around 66kg which is really annoying cause I don’t feel like I’m doing anything differently from a few weeks ago when I got momentarily down to 64.5! Dammit! Also I’m feeling sick and grumpy today so I’m looking for an excuse not to fast. What do you guys do when you’re sick? So far I’ve had two cups of tea and I’m not exactly hungry but I guess I’m thinking about comfort food. Off to the doctors soon.
    Naturally I find it fairly easy to fast at work cause I can keep myself busy but when I’m home sick doing nothing…. Hmm… Any advice?

Morning all! Thin, hope you had a lovely birthday. I am pleased you spoilt yourself last night! Birthdays are definitely a time to be treating yourself and you really do deserve it. I hope you enjoyed every mouthful 🙂 And good on you not getting down about a little overnight weight gain, you know it’s just your birthday treats affecting the scales and it won’t be there long.

FD today is going well so far! I say that now as I’ve just had my instant coffee with almond and coconut milk (way less calories than dairy) and 2 belvita breakfst biscuits. So my tummy is happy for now! I programmed all my food for today into MFP last night and got bang on 488 calories which is my exact allowance. The downside to losing weight- your TDEE withers away! Small price to pay 🙂

Fastina, I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve hovered around 66kg for the past 4 weeks. Have you tried stepping up the exercise and lowering your calorie allowance on FD’s? Some of these dedicated ladies have found that cutting carbs out for the last half of the day has helped them. Worth a go if you can part with bread! I’m not that strong! I hope you feel better soon, I read in the FAQ section of this site not to fast when you’re sick but if you’re not feeling hungry today then it may be a good day to do it.

AC it sounds lovely where you live, lucky you being surrounded by gorgeous organic produce! I am finding 5:2 easier as I go along, I think my body is getting used to it but what I am finding harder is the lower TDEE as my weight drops! My allowance on FD’s started at 512 calories and is now at 488 calories.

Hope you’re drying out Intesha! MK88

Thanks MK88, I appreciate your comments and, after my walk, I’ve knocked 300gms off that excess already. Will be careful today and hopefully tomorrow won’t be up by much.

Yes, when I was on a plateau, the gurus on here (PVE etc) suggested I adjust my TDEE and thus the FD intake and it was a real shock! This is why so many of us have just re-gained all the weight lost in the past, hadn’t realised the bleedin’ obvious which I learned on this forum that we have to learn to eat to sustain the weight we want to be.

I’d forgotten about that almond and coconut milk you mentioned before, just written it down for my shopping list.

Fastina, I’d just be guided by how you feel. I tend to eat less when sick so I’d use it as an opportunity to fast especially if you’re not hungry. 500 cals should be plenty to sustain sitting around feeling sorry for yourself (if that’s what you’re doing). Maybe make up a hearty veggie soup with some barley and watch some DVDs. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi everyone!
    sorry been awol most of this week! kids were sick Monday and Tues so I had to cram my normal workload into half a day to manage pick ups / timing with those watching them.

FD’s this week were Mon/Wed and decided to do another today because I feel like I really need to do two 4:3 weeks while cheer isn’t on and to kick start my metabolism. plus I’m going out for dinner with my mum tomorrow evening and want to enjoy it 🙂

hope everyone is well and those that are in nsw didn’t get too badly flooded.

have a fab day everyone

M.O.M

Blimey Purple, you must be floating with 330ml. Hope you & family are all ok.
    How are things with you Intesha? I think I heard that the weather has improved in Sydney. Now you all just need to dry out.

Gee thanks AC, now I AM jealous. What a beautiful spot. We nearly bought in that area 10 years ago. Really full of good news today telling us we now have to exercise 6 days a week too! Think I’ll have to work up to that one, unless 30 mins walking the mutt counts! Getting close to my goal – I’m trying to get down to 60kg.

Thin, you’ll be ok with all those 5km & 10km walks you do. Sounds like you enjoyed your birthday, and why not too. The extra on the scales this morning is just the bulk/fluid. Thankfully, we all know now that with this WOL we can have the occasional blow-out and get back on track the next day. Slow & steady wins the race. How long did your plateau last Thin??

Fastina, sorry you’re not feeling well. I’d skip it today until you feel better – unless as MK88 says, you don’t feel like eating anyway. Take it easy regardless. If having trouble with willpower, I read the forums and watch some of the docos on 5:2. Helps to refocus/remotivate. Try throwing in an extra FD once you feel ok again, or dropping your TDEE a bit more on NFDs. Whichever you find easier. I always try to stay below 1200 on NFD, unless something special is happening.

MK88- Your sooo organised girl! I’m now at 472cals on FDs. Not much to get excited about is it! At least we’ve got those Slendier noodles – I’m hooked on them now, as I love my Asian foods. Haven’t tried them with pasta sauces yet….has anyone else?

Weigh-in tomorrow! As Purple says, you can take your lowest for the week. Happy FD for those who are doing it.

CM, I’m with you- love the slendier products! I am trying your modified La Zuppa Tom Yum tonight, very excited! You’re a good girl walking Charlie every day for half an hour, I think that definitely counts as ‘daily exercise’.

Glad you managed to sweat out a few hundred grams on your walk, Thin 🙂 Let me know what you think of the almond and coconut milk, it takes a little getting used to but it’s so much lower in cals.

Enjoy dinner with your Mum, M.O.M, you’ll probably find you can’t fit as much in after 3 FD’s! I’m out for dinner tomorrow night too and it’s 3 courses, I could never polish three courses off even in my bigger days. I aim to leave a bit of each meal on the plate tomorrow night.

Fellow Fasters, we’re half way there! MK88 xx

Hey MOM – So, it sounds like it really has been “mayhem” at your place this week. Hope things are starting to settle down for you & the kids are getter better. Enjoy dinner with Mum. 3-courses….no, I could never manage them either – though I have been known to try! Can’t fit that much in any more. I always hope the menu is only average and then it’s easier to say no. Give me a really great menu and I’m hopeless – I keep changing my mind wanting to make sure I choose the best thing! Drives OH totally nuts and he always warns the wait-staff in advance!! Now, if there’s a warm dessert (like a soufflé) I’m in hell & just have to have it! Have fun….is it a special occasion?
    MK88 – Want to hear all about your Tom Yum.
    CM xx

haha CM – no special occasion – kids are off to have dinner with their moron of a father (loooong story there). So I’m free till 8.30 pm so decided to treat mum out for dinner to say thanks for all the babysitting on a Friday so I can continue with cheer, and for having the little miss on Tuesday whilst I was at work. not quite sure where we will go yet mum did mention Chinese but to be honest the though makes my stomach churn.

FD today is going great – loads of water , 2 teas, a cup of coffee and some ham and veggie munchies for lunch and taking the kids to salsa’s for dinner so will have one of their low cal bowls and a diet pepsi.

now to get past this chocolate craving knowing I can have the fundraiser timeout bar in my desk drawer with my afternoon coffee tomorrow!!!!

Cheers !

Busy forum today everyone. Have been having lots of aches and pains lately especially right hip and left knee. Thought here we go everything is starting to break down and I attributed this to packing and sorting out Mum and Dads house last year. Huge house, 4 bedrooms, 2 lounge rooms, 2 bathrooms. Etc. when they were thinking about moving 10 years ago they were going to downsize and never any mention of moving interstate. So what did they do, moved to QLD and up sized. The packing was left in the main to me who was living with them at the time to give Dad some rest from the constant battle with Mum and the dementia.

Went to the acupuncturist yesterday who has been treating me for depression, told her about my aches and she changed the treatment slightly. I can’t say I’m cured but I definitely feel much better today and hoping that this will avoid the Dr and the scalpel which I felt was a certainty.

MK I am looking to post a positive weigh in tomorrow after re-jigging my diet and reducing NFD to 1200cal. My FD today as well.

AC no where near goal weight. Have only been on this since February with at the time a goal of losing 10kg but have now revised it to 15-20kg. The support and encouragement plus the great weight loss stories has spurred me on.

CM yes the weather has improved greatly went and felt the sunshine on my face weeding the garden.

MOM – Get a block of Lindt 70% or higher. Better for you & not as much sugar either. One square is enough to curb my choc craving…that’s is if you can stop at one. If not, please totally ignore above suggestion!
    Sounds promising Intesha!! Try the weight loss first, before the scalpel. My achilles tendon has been a chronic problem for 5 years. Haven’t had any issues since losing weight. CM xx

Wow Intesha that is a huge house, I’m glad they have since downsized. That’s far too much work. How old are your kids? Can they help at all with all you are doing for your Mum and Dad? I really feel for you with all that you have been put through but admire you so much for your attitude and resiliance. Glad you got some sunshine today 🙂

M.O.M I haven’t heard of the low cal bowls at Salsa’s! I will have to check these out as I looooove Salsa’s 🙂 That’s really nice of you to thank you Mum for her help, you’re lucky to have her around. I miss my Mum, I’m very close with her but only see her 2 or 3 times a year as she’s in NZ.

CM, I’m guilty of that too! I’m not a big meat eater though so that narrows down my options a fair bit. I always get food envy when OH’s meal arrives though! I had the La Zuppa chicken, veg and brown rice soup for lunch with some carrot and celery sticks on the side 🙂 You’ve got me hooked on that soup now!

CM, that’s funny. OH and I embarrass teen by changing tables several times in a restaurant. Have to get the best possible seating! We get the eye rolling…….My Xmas plateau lasted about 4 weeks – I continued FDs throughout the season but didn’t hold back on the treats on the feast days either. Mince pies galore. So I considered that brilliant to have stayed the same weight where normally I would gain about 3kgs and have to spend Jan and Feb starving myself to lose it again. The other plateau was just recently, I’m sure you recall my rants, about 3 weeks I think it was.

Slendier pasta sauces, yes tried some, really great. My faves are Salmon & Avocado Fettuccine, 251 cals which yields a lovely creamy sauce (OH couldn’t believe it was a FD meal) and Chicken Fettuccine with Avocado Pesto 237 cals. Both recipes are on the Slendier website I believe.

Just did a second walk, this time with OH (down past Heathcote CM, we must do that sometime when you’re back from hols). No extra loss on the scales but I’m sure my body will have recorded some secret credit for the extra effort. Saw a dolphin too, always a bonus. Especially as I had not seen a single dolphin since becoming an official Dolphin Watcher in Feb.

MK88: am I looking for a longlife-type carton for the almond milk in the soy milk section? Someone came here with their own rice milk the other day, never heard of that before, sounds like it might be high in cals though. Your FD is nearing the end. Enjoy that meal ladies.

P.S. Three more posts appeared while I was writing this, hi Intesha et all. Will read yours now.

Yep, we’re all punching out the posts today…keep up Thin! OH just walked by and said “NOW what are you doing on the computer??”….told him to get back to the weeding!! Those fettuccines both sound yummy. Even more dishes to try out now!
    Just heard we’re going to see puppies on the weekend. Very exciting.

Thin, yes you’ll find the almond and coconut milk in the longlife milk aisle with the soy milks 🙂 I haven’t tried rice milk, doesn’t appeal to me and I can’t imagine it has great health benefits whereas almonds and coconuts are good for us 🙂 I hope you like it!

CM, that’s exciting!! Lucky you!! Will you take Charlie to meet the kids?

So near the end now, still have 3 small meals to go so it’s going to be ok! MK88

MK it was a beautiful house, in ground pool and lovely outdoor area. We used to call it the family resort and I would fly up 3-4 times a year. It broke my heart to sell it but I just couldn’t commit myself to living up there to look after them with no family around. Not that I get any support down here but at least I see my grandchildren. My son will be 39 next month, he and his wife have a nearly 3yr old and a 19mth. They live about 30mins away but he drives B-double petrol tankers and is all over the place. My daughter is married and lives in the UK. My brother is totally useless and quite happy to leave me with everything. He has just married for the third time and is currently in Rwanda teaching missionaries. I think charity begins at home!!!!

Bought some La Zuppa the other day, haven’t tried it yet. Trying the Slendier tonight for the first time with garlic prawns and steamed veg. Another FD nearly over.

I hadn’t seen my acupuncturist since January (I started the FD in February) as she was on maternity leave and she noticed the weight loss, so that was pleasing. She had heard of the diet and it’s good reviews.

Hi Guys… Have just found another soup to try at Woolies. “All Natural” Wonton Soup. Say its a traditional Chinese clear soup with chicken dumplings & shitake mushrooms, although I can’t feel many dumplings in the pouch. It comes in its own drinking cup & has a cute folding spoon!! 42 cals. No nasties in there, but a little high on salt. Handy too, cos all you need is the hot water. Will let you know what its like.

Must make you feel great when people are noticing your weight loss, Intesha. Very happy for you. Your dinner sounds yummy tonight too. Might have to get you over to cook for us!! CM xx

Good morning my SH mates

Today is 2 years since Mr P and I started on our 5:2 journey. We have come a long way, learnt a lot about ourselves and others; how, when and what to eat, and the joys of taking control of our own health again.

We went from obese to middle of healthy weights in exactly a year. We have maintained, and dropped a little more, for another full year.

At our present weights, he has lost 34kg from a top of 100kg and totally reversed his insulin dependent diabetes. I have lost 29kg from my top weight of 85 and have reduced my blood pressure medication by 75%.

He has gone from XXL to S sized men’s clothes. I have shifted from 16+ or XL to 8 and S. We can fit comfortably in economy seats in planes, run whenever we want without puffing, buy mail order clothes and know they’ll fit, get approving comments from everyone. He doesn’t snore or fall asleep driving any more. Our feet don’t hurt. We can wear shoes we had given up on. Ironing his shirts is much quicker as they are smaller!

We thoroughly enjoy food still and love planning new menus. We live a full life with plenty of socialising, travelling and eating out, but we now eat tiny amounts compared to 2 years ago.

We have learnt that we were radically overeating. We have learnt that we can go long periods without food and that meals don’t have to be at “mealtime”. We have learnt to say no, to stop as soon as we are satiated, to choose wisely when eating and that socialising doesn’t have to mean eating. Conversing with people instead of eating is a very satisfying pastime.
    We have developed the habit of weighing ourselves morning and night. It guides our consumption. Without this practice, we could easily slip off the rails. We have learnt to skip breakfast if we have ‘overdone it’. We have learnt that white carbs are hugely problematic and have reduced them significantly in our diets. We have minimised our reliance on processed foods, making our own bread, yoghurt, kefir and growing veg and herbs. We have learnt to have a standby of basic “thin people” foods available…salad makings, lemons, limes, chillies, garlic, ginger, onions, fennel, leeks, carrots, beans, sauerkraut, fish, nuts, berries etc. Salads and berries are the skinny person’s friend. And miracle noodles!

We have learnt to move whenever possible…at least 10,000 steps, incorporating stairs and quick runs in our daily life. We park as far away from our destination as is sensible, often finding free parking, and always choose to walk up stairs and escalators. We make multiple trips upstairs or from the car to get more inbuilt exercise.

Fasting and eating mindfully has become a complete part of life. We are in control and loving it!

I hope the success of our journey can help others too. Talk to your health professionals. Tell them you don’t want drugs as a quick fix for ailments. They only exacerbate many issues. Have confidence in yourself to keep healthy. Practice restraint and enjoy life.

And most of all, thank you Dr Moseley for starting this all off.

A very happy, grateful Purple 😆

Brilliant work purple! It’s a powerful and sustaining lifestyle, getting healthier and fitter as one ages, is truly a reversal of society’s commonly accepted norm.
    I hope doc Mosley gets a Nobel prize for his work one day in the near future, he certainly has changed the way we think about ourselves and our long term futures.

Thanks and ditto IHAW. You would have been on it a similar time, haven’t you?
    Our national health bill would be miniscule if governments would listen to the likes of Dr Moseley and Dr Fung. As there is no money in it for Big Pharma, it ain’t gunna happen 🙁
    Have a happy Friday my north coast mate. P

Wow Purple that was a very powerful post and again much needed encouragement. I was sitting here re-reading posts prior to giving my weigh- in results for this week and feeling like I am the elephant in the group as everyone seems to be in the 60-67kg range. But this is for life no fad or magic about it. You have put it all into perspective. Well done to you and OH what a wonderful achievement.

Weigh-in this morning 81.6 a loss of 1kg since Monday so total so far after 11weeks 6kg. VERY happy about that.

Congratulations Purple x

Thanks Intesha
    And now, with the sun shining on us again, you will be able to feel more positive 😆
    I found winter in Sydney ideal for going for long walks to keep my mind off food on fast days. I wore out several pairs of shoes in that first year. Now that I’m lighter, the shoes cope better. 🙂
    Good luck to you on your journey. It DOES change your life! P

Just wanted to put my two-bobs-worth in Purple and congratulate you both on your perseverance and positivity .. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your journey .. So wonderful that you are able to do this together and share a much healthier and longer! life together .. I’m in my second plateau and feeling a little disgruntled stuck at 74kgs but I can see how far up the mountain I’ve come and know this isn’t to be a ‘quick fix’ Thankyou again

Thanks Hootinannie
    You are right. This is not a “quick fix”, this is a way of totally resetting your life. Learning to eat less takes time, but it DOES become second nature. Think about every single thing you put in your mouth. Ask yourself “Do I need this? Is it good for me? Is there a healthier (and usually better) alternative?” Take IHAW’s advice and dance! 😉 P

Mr and Mrs Purple, I’m adding my congratulations to the throngs of other people who think your story is amazing. Reading your posts has been inspirational to me especially when I started last August because the realisation that there were people committed to the WOL long after they’d reached their goal weight meant for me that this was not just another diet fad. This was one of the prime motivators for me. So thank you (and IHAW, bay, Nicky F, CharlieG, etc,) for sticking around to help others. I have sent your post to some friends in Hawaii hoping it will get them off their buts and starting this journey.

Intesha, see? We told you that you could do this! WELL DONE.

Hang in there HootinA, we’ve all been where you are, frustrating but you’ll get to the top of that mountain in no time.

Intesha don’t worry you aren’t alone, I’m currently 89kg and really want to get back to the 75 kg point where I was a few years ago as that is about where I feel most comfortable anything less is a bonus. Its definitely going to be a slower process for me but my goal is 6kg by June and 10 by November. which I think is completely achievable.

PVE – your story is both awesome and inspiring. and it sounds like you have truly embraced your new WOE and I hope that I can be as enthusiastic, inspiring and healthy as you are 2 years down the track!

Oops forgot to post about me hehe!

i weigh in tomorrow so will see how that goes however I don’t expect it to be much as my monthly friend has paid me a visit this week. Maybe a few cm but not much in terms of weight will be my guess.

FD Mon was good, Wed was great , Thurs was ok but a bit of a challenge I had a major chocolate craving in the afternoon but managed to push through and quite enjoyed the small chocolate bar I had this morning with my coffee!

Looking forward to dinner with my mum, still not sure where we will go. But i am not finding i am that hungry so maybe somewhere where we can have some share plates.

Have a fab Friday everyone

Cheers M.O.M

Hi all
    PVE I have to keep adding to the praise- everyone in the western world either needs to hear that story for a friend or themselves! It embodies all the wisdom we have ignored about knowing how to really care for our bodies over our lifetime.
    I only justed realised that my motivation starts to flag after 3 months- I am 4 months now and going strong but know how easy it is to slip back into bad habits. Unfortunately I am still on blood pressure meds but determined to keep this way of eating long term and hopefully be able to cut them down/out.
    Asp thanks for tip re fastexercise book- just downloaded and looking forward to the read!

Hi Purple – What can I say that hasn’t already been said! What a wonderful & inspirational story for us all to take on-board. I’ve just read it to my OH, and although he’s been chugging along with me food wise, he’s now committed to do FDs too. Thank you for that. Your words encourage those of us who are 5:2 newbies, that it can be a long-term WOL. As you said, if only governments would get involved, apart from the huge reduction in health costs, it would save many lives. Congrats to you both. CM xx

WooHooooo Intesha!! By jove, I think you’ve got it!!! That tweaking worked! Congratulations, on smashing 82!! Do you think it was reducing your NFD cals that helped? I’m really chuffed for you, really chuffed!! Bet you’re feeling great too. Well done.

Hoot – You’ll make it and yes, keep at it, we’ve all been there.

MOM – yes, I agree small realistic goals are the best and seem achievable. Enjoy your dinner tonight.

AC – At least you’ve identified your weak spot and have found a source of support here on the forum. It’s made a huge difference for me. Without these guys here, with their wise words, kicks in the butt, and inspiring stories, it would be all too easy to throw in the towel when we hit those plateaus or on our tougher days. They keep you on the straight and narrow, and I’m thankful for them everyday.

So, as for me. Happy to report a new PB this week….64.6. Hope those 65s are finally gone for good! Only have another 4 weeks before the cruise and would love to drop another 2kg before then. Certainly things seem to slow-up when we approach goal weight, but will keep on keeping on! People are starting to call me “skinny” and I’ve NEVER been called that before….still a ways to go in the leg/hip area, but the rest of me is looking ok. Thank you Doc Mosley – you are changing my life!
    CM xx

Thanks Thin and Charlie … Learning not to be impatient! I’ve passed the 5:2 good vibes onto my brother in law who’s just been here from Perth..I haven’t seen him for 10 months .. He remarked that I was looking pretty trim and what was I doing? So, another convert and since he’s been home, family and colleagues have come out of the woodwork to inform him they were doing it! He’s been only the second person to notice but I guess I haven’t been ‘advertising ‘ enough either!

I just love this forum- there’s always so much positivity and support. PVE your story is incredible, well done on yours and OH’s accomplishments not only on your weight loss but your healthier lifestyle and your mind frame. You are an inspiration to us continuing to lose weight with 5:2!

Intesha and CM, well done on your losses!! That is a huge weight loss in such a short time Intesha, you will be joining the under 75’s club before you know it! The re- jigging has worked for me too as I weighed in this morning after completing my FD’s for the week and hit a new low! Woo hoo, go us!!

Hoot and CM, it’s a fantastic thing when your success becomes visible to others and you can convert others to this WOL. My best friend back in NZ has joined me on 5:2, she started 4 weeks ago and is slowly losing her baby weight. OH is going slow and steady like me and my Mum and her partner will be starting 5:2 when they get home from their Europe trip. They have to get in shape for their wedding as they just got engaged last week! Woo hoo! My little sister has made mumblings for the past 2 months about doing it too but is yet to start and I don;t want to push her. She is 22 and 72kg so I’d love to see her commit to getting healthier.

Thin you’d be proud of me, I thought of you when I deliberated over walking to and from work this week and I decided to suck it up and do it so I could get a new low on the scales and sure enough- I walked 8km in 2 days and got my new low this morning! Hope you managed to find the milk at your supermarket.

Have a happy weekend friends! MK88

Great news MK88, I’m so happy for you! Good for you for walking to work. Yes, I AM proud of you, your determination, your results and your hilarious contributions which always make me laugh. And all those new converts! A picture tells a thousand words and you’re living proof. You too skinny CM!

MK88 – Absolutely Fab!! Another happy 5:2er today!! It’s great that you & Intesha decided to join forces & re-jig your meal plans together. It has obviously worked for both of you, with new lows all around….fantastic. Go Girls!! Well done on your new converts too, particularly your family. When is your Mum getting hitched?? That’s some goal for you all to strive towards…..looking gorgeous at her wedding.

Last night I was looking at some photos of me last August when we were on vacation. Was that really me? I looked old, chubby & frumpy….you know, all those things we want to postpone for a long as possible!! My mind still can’t get used to looking in the mirror. I keep thinking it’s one of those “trick” mirrors they have in the ladies fitting rooms that make you look thinner….& we all know those! Even though my loss is nothing compared to so many others on this forum, I feel great & I believe I look younger too. My wrinkles have improved & my complexion is brighter. How many of us have been told that once you hit 50, losing weight is almost impossible?? Well, there are lots of people on here that prove that’s just not true…and I think there are other “more superficial” benefits too. Soooo much going for this WOL…..Go 5:2!!!

For those of us venturing out into the darkness tomorrow morning for the Dawn Service, stay warm. Have a wonderful weekend everyone. CM xx

Well done PVE, I found your post inspiration in itself!! We have just had friends from UK visiting us and one of them is taking so many pills I think he rattles but seems so convinced that doctors know best!! I find it such a shame that so many people are brainwashed by the medical profession and don’t have the strength or confidence to take control of their own health.

I gave it away last week, picked up a terrible tummy bug, hardly off the loo, then felt nauseaus, and finally lost all apetite on eating days and hungry on fast days, all with a head cold hanging over me!!!! got back into it on Mon and weighed in this morning at the same weight although a couple of cms down. Official weigh in day is Mon so hope to be down to 72 at least. I know this is a long haul and I intend staying on it as a WOL but really want to get to below 70 for the holiday which is coming round very quckly……only around 7 weeks to go! I don’t feel as though I have lost much but when I think of where I want to finish I know I am half way there, which feels me with pride and motivation!!

Have a great weekend everyone 😉

Well done Turnabout. Everyone seems to be finishing the week on a high note. Hope you’re feeling better now. Due to swapping my FDs this week, I am enjoying the luxury of four consecutive feast days. Thought about slipping an extra one in today but wasn’t strong enough as my fridge is full of lovely fresh veggies and fruit and didn’t want to miss out on any of it (although I can see how that probably sounds a bit weird).

Yeah, Thin, gotta steer clear of those fresh fruit and vegies…that stuff will kill ya!! Joking….of course. Thank God, I know you “get” my sense of humour!

Turnabout, so sorry to hear you’re under the weather too. It seems to be going around, but looks like you copped a double-header with a tummy bug & a cold. Poor thing, hope you feel better soon. You have lots to feel proud about! Look at what you’re doing for yourself & your own health. BTW, how’s the weather in NZ? I’m sure it’s cold, but do you get snow where you are? Weren’t you going to Queenstown for a break recently? Stay warm! CM xx

Viewing 50 posts - 4,701 through 4,750 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.