Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 28,029 total)

• P, what lucky kids to see the process from seed to bread. My brother kept chickens and his wife took eggs to incubate at school with her class but they didn’t carry that experiment on any further than seeing the chicks hatch, don’t suppose roast chicken would have made for a happy classroom ๐Ÿ™
    The coffee grinder is time consuming (don’t want to over heat it) and noisy so I just do about 300 gms at a time and add in some white unbleached flour. Perhaps I should try 100% wholegrain (wholemeal? what’s the difference). I’m wondering how the winter weather will affect the sourdough process. At the moment we are having hot weather so when I need to build Hugo (starter) up I can feed him twice a day and have plenty of starter for another loaf in no time. Do you allow extra time in the winter for proving or just put it somewhere warm?

It does rise higher in summer, but I sit it is a sunny spot in the dining room in winter, with a teatowel over it.
    I only take Charlie out of the fridge 12 hours before I make the sponge and he only gets fed every few days. He seems happy ๐Ÿ™‚ P

What a lot of fun you’ve all been having on here! Well done Transcend & Turnabout, welcome new people!

PVE, when you were away recently, you referred someone to another thread to find your sourdough recipe. I scrolled through but couldn’t find it. Sorry to be a pain but can you direct me there please? I don’t know if I’d risk eating any personally, since bread & I don’t seem to get along in the weight department, but OH is keen to get one going & I like the idea of naming it.

Sure thinat, it was on Dec 1 on the Maintenance Chatbox. I have made some variations. Like 5:2, my bread is ever evolving!
    Here it is:
    I got my recipe from Iwillbe on this thread ages ago.
    The starter is simply a couple of tablespoons of good flour and equivalent of filtered water. Stir vigorously and often and leave, covered in the kitchen for a few days. When it starts to bubble, add more flour and water. It can also be sped up by adding a little pineapple juice in the beginning. When it is active, store it in the fridge, feeding occasionally. I take it out the of the fridge the morning Iโ€™m going to use it to allow it to get more active.

One morning, the day before you will cook the loaf, scoop out about half the starter into a large bowl. The rest gets fed with 1 tbs each of flour and water and returned to the fridge for the next lot.

Add 200gms of your bread flour (I use spelt half and half with wholemeal stoneground bread flour) and 200gms of filtered water (chlorine kills the starter). Mix thoroughly cover with plastic and leave all day. This is called the โ€˜spongeโ€™

That evening, to the sponge add 300gms of the spelt/wholemeal mix, 10 gms good salt, 1 tbs oil and toss in some grains (flax and sunflower or whatever). Knead for a full 10 minutes. (If you do it in a Kenwood or similar with a dough hook it can be a lot wetter) It needs to be quite sticky, so you can keep adding more filtered water (make a hole in the middle and knead in,or dip the dough in a basin with water). The delicate sourdough bubbles need a wet dough to be able to rise.

Place in a bowl or proving basket (Banneton) or directly into a greased metal bread loaf tin, covered with a clean teatowel until morning. I spray a little oil on the top to allow it to rise instead of drying.

Preheat your oven to 200 deg C. I used to cook mine in a special ceramic lidded bread making cloche, but you can just cook it on a tray or in a bread tin.
    If you are baking in a tin, pop it in the heated oven. Otherwise, carefully (you donโ€™t want to lose any rise)turn the dough over onto the heated cooking surface and score a few lines on the top with scissorsโ€ฆthis lets it rise more as it is baking.

I cook mine with the lid on for 35 minutes and 15 minutes with the lid off. (The loaf in the tin bakes in 35 minutes in total.) The moisture allows it to rise. You can add a container of ice cubes to the oven for steam. Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should be 90 deg when cooked. Every loaf takes a different amount of time. The beauty of individual artisan breadmaking!

I used to make bread in my breadmaker, but sourdough is too delicate and needs longer to rise. The advantage of the sourdough is that it will keep easily for 10 days in the fridge, can be eaten by gluten intolerant folk and is healthy.
    Let me know if you try it. It isn’t compex, just takes 36 hours with a few minutes work each 12 hours. Cheers P

Thanks for the fast reply PVE, I’ll study it later. I’m sure I’ll have questions.

You’re welcome. I had a spare 10 minutes:)

Wow, Purple

What a cook. ๐Ÿ™„ Wish you lived in my city. I love the idea of sourdough, but I think I’ll stay with my bread scarcity program. It takes me 10-12 days to eat a Deeks mixed grain gluten free loaf. None on my fast days.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Purple

As you know, sugar is my nemesis. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ I am looking forward to a sugar free Lent with great trepidation. Once I give my word, I have to stick to it. Imagine 40 days and nights with no sugar in anything. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Cheers, Bay

Hi Bay. It takes us a week to eat most of a loaf. One slice is enough. I’m using some leftover for a low sugar breaf pudding. Oops, forgot to add fruit…..
    Thanks Bay!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ P

Homemade sourdough contains NO Sugar Bay!!

If I eat one SLICE of bread in a week, I’ll gain weight (or since starting 5 and 2, I’ll not lose weight). If it smells too good, it will be a real test for me!

We’ve been eating it for 6 months and we have been in maintenance that whole time. It is very sustaining. P

Maybe I should wait until I’m in maintenance too.

No! Go for it. Very therapeutic ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello out there. Fiล•st fast day today and I’ve gone to bed early to save myself from myself. I’m from Hobart and starting with a BMI of 40. Yikes, when did that happen? recently diagnosed with high BP so this the wakeup call. Quite a few friends have done the program with inspiring results so after reading the book I am ready to start too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of intermittent fasting, Baroness.
    You can only loose sticking with us ! ๐Ÿ˜†
    You’ve made a good start. All the best PVE

Welcome to all the new people starting the 5:2 journey, this is most definitely a supportive bunch here!
    One word of advice, some days you may start a fast day and mess up big time, but that doesn’t mean fasting isn’t for you it just means that particular day wasn’t a good day to fast. The reason I say this is because I just messed up big time yesterday!! After only having minimal sugar for two weeks, I increased my cups of tea and therefore sugar, had bread with honey and ice tea. Needless to say, I did not fast yesterday and boy did I pay for that sugar hit. I just felt, yuck VERY bloated, extremely flat and grumpy, but the upside is I’ve seen and felt what sugar does to my system and I’ve completely cut it out from my diet.
    So on the upside, I haven’t had codiene for 5 days ( no withdrawals) and I don’t miss it, and even better PVE, “Bilbo” the sourdough has come to life, YAY. My husband came up with the name cause he suggested it should be something ancient like the practice of making sourdough. You may have to start your own sourdough blog Purple with all the people you’re inspiring, haha!

Congratulations on the”birth” of Bilbo, Lizzy ๐Ÿ™‚

2nd fast day of the week for me today, thankfully I am busy at work – that always helps. A few figs and cucumber for lunch and then tonight – Zucchini & Bacon Soup for dinner, I may even throw in some broccoli – yum! It is low calorie and very filling.

I am loving the sound of the sour dough bread – but bread and I love each other too much – its almost a toxic relationship hahaha. I really have reduced my bread intake dramatically. I heard – one slice of white bread = 9 flights of stairs!!!

Hope everyone is having a good day – whether you are fasting or not ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care everyone.

Hullo everyone – and happy Wednesday to you all.

Welcome Hambone and Baroness. It makes me feel very okay about not being the only newbie on this program. And thank you Lizzy for saying what you did about falling in a bit of a heap on some fast days. It gives me confidence to know that I don’t have to be perfect every day. I must say I have felt quite liberated about not having to be obsessive about calories every day. I feel I can handle two days a week without too much stress; but I will keep in mind your advice about letting go if the fast day is not working out, Lizzy.

It is Day 3 for me and today I returned to my gym. I haven’t been for six months. I took an easy class and did all the moves with a minimum of effort and strain so I won’t regret it all tomorrow. Tomorrow is my second fast day. Fingers crossed ……

Hmmm, Bilbo stinks! From what I can gather, it’s normal for it too smell at first and one professional baker said if it smells like baby vomit at first it should be a good one, Mmm yum not! Hopefully it’s ok, cause stirring it at the moment is a bit of a gross experience. I would say it smells more like my kids lunch box when first opened after being left in their bag for too long
    Good to see you enjoyed the gym Transcend, exercise is such a feel good thing to do, isn’t it?! I’m feeling heaps better today, I just got some new barefoot running shoes and I’m off for a run, well slow jog really.

Hi again SH’ers. Thanks for the warm welcome. I got through the first fast ok but not a lot of sleep had with getting rid of all the tea and water and then hunger pangs when I lay back down. But I wasn’t really hungry when I got up which I found odd. Eating light so far today as it’s 38ยฐ and this Hobartian doesn’t like it more than 23ยฐ!!!!! I have walked 3k and now hot and bothered.
    next fast day tomorrow

Hi, I’m in Mangawhai, New Zealand. Day 2 of fasting today. I’m doing Mon and Wed as that suits my work routines. I’m not hungry but very very light headed. Blurry eye sight too. Sticking with it of course, hoping things will improve. I’m in the severely obese category so really need to do something about it. Exercising as well so today I’ve burnned off more calories than I’ve eaten so far but planning an exciting 200 calorie dinner.

Liz feed Bilbo and stick him in the fridge. I threw my first one out as it smelt of acetate. All eithin normal but doesn’t usually stink. P

Hi Sally

Welcome aboard this way of life. Hope you’re drinking at least two litres of water. Should help.

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks PVE, I just realised it was the flour as I’ve come back to wash up the jug that I premixed the feeder water/flour and I could smell the smell in the fresh jug, but not quite as strong, so crisis over for now.
    Wow, 38 in Hobart, now that’s hot, you guys must be melting Baroness! I love Hobart I went for the first time a couple of months ago and saw snow for the first time. I must if looked like a big kid doing snow angels in the snow, haha!
    Good luck Sally, you’re pretty keen only having 200cal for tea, I hope it all goes well for you. Dizziness with blurred vision doesn’t sound good, hopefully just to do with your bp, don’t push yourself though, this can be a very fulfilling way to weight loss and health

I’ve been inspired to start my first sourdough – thanks for the recipe, P. Guess I will have to find a name once it starts bubbling.

Welcome, newbies, to 5:2. I haven’t posted on this thread before, but I have been around the bourses for a while, sharing and enjoying the vibes. I’m from Wellington, Sally, have been doing this for about 18 months and am pretty much at where I would like to be. I would love to be able to encourage some of my workmates onto this regime, but they are not in the right place yet. One of my bosses, who is very clued up about health, has been listening to what I have been saying about fasting, obviously done some research himself as he was discussing the healing properties today.

Hi Barata Nice to see you ‘over here’ ๐Ÿ™‚ . Hope you had a good time in Sydney. Glad you are joining the breadmakers ๐Ÿ™‚

Welcome new folk. You’ll soon be old hands at this caper. Be kind to yourself. Do two fast days a week and master them first. As Bay advised, drink plenty, weigh and measure yourself and learn to understand which foods give you a lot of bulk (therefore filling) for the fewest calories. All power to you. PVE

Thank you to everyone. I’m very focussed on it. But can’t repeat a day like yesterday. I need to experiment with when I eat my 500 cal. Next week I’m going to have the bulk at lunch time because I just hit the wall in the afternoon. I don’t need so much in the evening. The first few weeks will be the toughest, I know this.

Hi Sally

As you are doing, everyone experiments until they find what they can do. In my first three months of fasting, I had a poached egg and spinach for breakfast on fast days, then either homemade vegetable soup or salad for lunch. Some lean protein and green veg for dinner. No carbs or sugar or alcohol on a fast day. I lost weight very quickly.

It is only now after a year of fasting that I am going 20 hours without food. Good luck with whatever works for you. We are here to support you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Thankyou Transend.
    As you have just started too, it will be interesting to see how we go.
    Didn’t have any trouble with the fasting day and felt really so good the next day I decided to do my second fasting day then. We had visitors arrive yesterday so got my 2nd fasting day out of the way. No trouble again but did wake up with a headache the next day, so will stagger them from now on.
    Haven’t weighed myself yet (cant stand to hear the scales scream with agony), so I will wait until Monday when I have been on this for a week. Here’s hoping I’ve gone down 2 dress sizes haha.
    Well done on getting the bloods done, haven’t done that as I live out in the sticks, will do it though.
    Good luck.

People from the land of the long white cloud are coming out of the woodwork – a warm welcome to all of you kiwis! And all newbies. Great effort by all by the sounds of it.

Hi Wekalegs: Sorry for your sad loss. As you say, this is a new beginning for you. Try not to think of this as a diet but a new way of eating for life. Too bad the authors called it FAST DIET because it’s not really a ‘fast’ diet in either sense of the word and, for overweight people, the word ‘diet’ has connotations beyond meaning ‘the food we eat’. I tell people I’m doing ‘fasting 5 and 2’. Good idea to switch fast days when you know something’s coming up. Well done doing consecutive fasts when you’re just starting, that’s brave. For the headaches, try drinking more water.

I’d managed to keep to under 300 cals by 8pm last night. I did have a banana before bed but only so I wouldn’t be grumbling all night. Pretty proud of myself! It means I can potentially plan for a decent evening meal on fast days. Plus increase the fasting window.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Hi everyone I’m a newbie from the Waikato, havent even started 5:2 yet but seen the doco, ordered the book and cant wait to try it! Seeing my doc for blood tests tomorrow and will even ask her to check my IGF-1 to see if it makes any difference after a month or two of 5:2. Strong family history of Type 2 diabetes and cannot lose the weight easily as I did when younger. Recently quit smoking and thought if I’m now strong enough to control my addiction to nicotine, surely I can do this too! Oh well, can only but try ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Coconut

I’m in Wellington, have been on 5:2 since September 2013. I love it, didn’t have much to lose but that’s gone, hoping to drop another couple of kilos – not scrawny enough yet! It’s my way of life from here on in, anyway.

If you read the threads you will see that Type 2 diabetes is controllable using this regime. Lots of support and good feelings on this site.

And very well done on the smoking – that’s harder than re-training your eating habits, so this should be a piece of cake (non-fast days only, though) ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello all. I am in Perth too. This is only my 2nd fast day. Slow and steady wins the race. I just have to keep very busy so that I am not roaming the kitchen. I bought some Madame Flavour Liquorice Tea which is quite sweet and filling – just have it clear, as it is herbal. That has helped. Has anyone else in Aus found the differences in the types of foods we eat here compared to Great Britain a challenge? I have. Might just be me adjusting.
    TTFN
    Roslyn

Thank you Barata! I think you’re the only one who has responded to any of my posts, mind you I’m new and still dont know how it all works in here yet. Really appreciate your response and I laughed about the piece of cake yum I think about cake A LOT but they’re only thoughts and as with smoking, I have more self-discipline now and choose not to act on every thought. Quit smoking is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my whole entire life and it really is one day at a time. Get through today then work on getting through tomorrow.

I LOVE your story! Has given me hope that maybe just maybe for once in my life I have discovered a diet that works! Not just for losing weight and I have quite a bit to lose but if I dont do this now, I will definitely end up with Type 2 which I must try my hardest to prevent. For me and my whanau ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi from much cooler Hobart today. Very busy workday today so haven’t struggled too much with my second fast day. My colleague bounced in and announced she was 6kg down in 5 weeks from 71kg start, so that was much motivating. I have had porridge and blueberries and an asian soup so far today and will try the 220 cal tortilla pizza recipe from my TrackmyFast app later on. Need to do a bit more work on a report tonight so hope the distraction works.
    trying not to weigh myself till Monday

Happy Thursday everyone. Welcome to Sally, Coconutbunz and Roslyn. I’m very new to this like you – I am having my second ever fast today.

Roslyn – I haven’t found the food too different in Australia compared with UK. But I have found the cooking times very different. I think we must cook our foods more lightly. If I’d cooked a frittata I found in the recipe book as long as it said to, it would have been burnt to a cinder!

Wekalegs – I’m going for just weighing in once a week too officially, but I have had a bit of a sneek peek. But my weight has changed each day so it’s what the scales and tape measure say next Monday morning that counts.

I’m glad that Hobart is much cooler today, Baroness. Enjoy it.

I did the blood tests too Coconut – got my results today. There is no super serious problem, but I will be interested to see changes in three months.

Best wishes to you all – fast well!!!

Oh, and Wekalegs – skinny jeans are grossly over-rated.

Hi everyone, and welcome to all the Newbies, both Ozzies and Kiwis, and congratulations on your decision to get healthier, and for most of us, to say goodbye to some kilos.

Checking in: now on 2 nd fasting day of week 13, and today I started wearing the next size down in trousers, and bought a t shirt and trousers of the new size. Yay!!

Over the last month or so I’ve been trialling lots of things for what I eat on non- fasting days. So far have worked out that, for me, I need to eliminate all grain based foods, and also, now I know the GF versions are a no- no for me weight wise as well. (I am grain and gluten intolerant- medically diagnosed – except for corn and a small portion of rice). I can cope with my intolerance reactions to some grain food so that I can for eg eat a piece of birthday cake, or a slice of pizza or something with a small amount of pastry, as long as I don’t do it very often( 1/ month ish), but have found that if I eat grain based foods on any days I don’t lose any weight. Over the last fortnight I have checked up on Gluten Free grain foods re weight loss, and the same thing happens i.e. No weight loss. So I’ve sorted that out, and now know what I have to work with.

The reason I’ve gone down this path of checking and rechecking is because I go through periods where I am away from home a lot, and these are the times I usually have something I’m intolerant to, because other people cook, am eating off amenu full of grains, especially lunch menus, or I just plain want to eat something I shouldn’t because it’s there in front of me, whereas at home it’s not. At home I don’t have things I shouldn’t have in the house. Anyway, …..now I have a full list of stuff I know I can and can’t have and still lose the weight.

So here’s my progress:
    1st 6 weeks – lost 3.8kgs ( no grains)
    Wks 7-12 ( xmas, new year, bread/ grain trial, Gluten Free bread/ grain trial, family birthday) – lost 1.2 kgs.
    Total lost is 5 kgs in 12 weeks.

Now I look at it in those terms of 6 week periods, I still managed an average of 200 gms loss through those last 6 weeks of a hodge podge of things going on, so I’m pretty happy with that.:-)

Thanks mmerryme for your story And congrats on the progress. I haved often wondered myself about grains. I avoid dairy usually as it makes me tired and have sustituted soy for years although it troubles me that its highly processed. This week have eliminated the soy from coffee. Still getting used to that ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hope all us early program fasters have had a good day! I feel i have coped better than on my first fast day

Well done, Merryme, on the smaller clothes. Isn’t the most satisfying thing, to HAVE to go shopping for smaller sizes? 5 kgs in 12 weeks is all in the right direction.

I have just been watching the Christchurch cricket world cup opening ceremony. It should be a great competition – go the Black Caps!!

Coconut, so many people are reporting losses and success on 5:2 that I think we are at the forefront of a revolution. And the health benefits, as you mention, can be massive.

End of a fast day here, must get off to bed as work tomorrow, with drinks and nibbles at the end of the day, but I don’t nibble quite as much as I used to.

Good to hear, Merryme

I have also proven to my satisfaction that eating grains causes me to add weight or prevents weight loss on a fast day. So my secret to losing 15 kg in 5 months was to omit grains and sugars on fast days. And to reduce my intake of grains, sugars, starchy foods and alcohol on non fast days. Plus I learnt to drink two
    litres of water per day.

Welcome all newbies, Coconut, Weka, Baroness, Transcend and Roslyn and anyone who has joined recently. ๐Ÿ˜†

This is a great way of life = WOL and we get the health benefits of fasting. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers, Bay ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi and welcome to all,
    Great to see so many succeeding with this way of eating.
    My scales still the same as last week (at least it didn’t go up). Am 0.5cm down on my waist. Just need to loose 1.4 kg and 2.5cm of waist and 2cm of hips to get back to what I was before Christmas :(.
    Will see what next week does.
    Have a good weekend and stay safe everyone.
    Jane

Hi everyone – feeling a bit flat today ๐Ÿ™ Week 5 – hubby has gained 1 kg and I’ve only lost 0.1 kg – doing the same as we have done in previous weeks – so we’re a bit disappointed! We have never calorie counted on our non-fast days – so this is probably an indicator that we should!

Hi Aussie
    Eating ‘mindfully’ on non fast days does the trick. You don’t have to bog yourself down with calorie counting. Just be aware of what and when you eat. P ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi. I am from Dubbo nsw. Started at christmas. How many of you find counting cals on fast days a real bore? I have decided to do a non eat fast instead. I know when i count calories i seem to have issues with eating enough, but not so if i go eat reasonably healthy with balanced meals. In saying all this i feel that this is a sustainable way of life without withdrawels from my fav foods. Cheers all.

Howdy bron 55, I’d love to have a whole non eat day, but i just can’t sleep on an empty stomach, so i just have the meal’s for tea that i know is within the calories less thinking that way, haha!
    Hi Merryme, just wondering if you have ever tried imported grain products from I think Italy or Germany or even organically grown wheat products? The reason why i ask is I’ve been reading a number of stories from both healthcare professionals and people who can’t eat the American based wheat products, as many are gmo or nonorganic (like ours), but when they travel overseas where the wheat isn’t mucked about with, they don’t have any problems. I just thought it was really interesting and it’s spurred me on to make my own organic sourdough bread
    Welcome to all the new people and have fun with your new WOL!

Oh and Purple, poor Bilbo senior has been laid to rest at the bottom of the garden, so now i have Bilbo junior who’s just come to life this moring!

Viewing 50 posts - 3,901 through 3,950 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.