Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 5 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,151 through 3,200 (of 28,011 total)

• Hi B C

I weigh myself 3x/week, first thing in the morning, naked, empty bladder – at the start of my 2 FDs and then the following morning. The scales go up and down but I just take notice of the reading on the 3rd morning and record that as my ‘true’ weight for the week.

Nicky, it is funny once you start to hear the ‘stories’ of others and their weight loss routines that you notice the same ‘rituals’ appear in others. I used to weigh myself everyday once but the ‘obsession’ and ‘heartbreak’ of going up and down on a daily basis destroyed me…almost literally. I was not tolerant of daily fluctuations and worried no end when I varied 300 grams from one day to the next. It actually took a long time before I had the self control to limit myself to once a week ‘weigh ins’.

Out of interest, it is 4 weeks tomorrow since I started 5:2 and have lost a tad over 4.5kgs…

Anyway, I read your morning weigh in routine and thought to myself that there was an uncanny ‘likeness’ in how you and I do this. This is my routine:

Rise early Tuesday morning to ‘beat the family landslide’ into the one bathroom we possess (toilet included within same room). Sit on toilet for serious ‘man thinking time’ only to be disturbed within 2 minutes by 5 year old that maurauds into bathroom like Ghangas Khan intensity, knees platted and demanding ‘I need the toilet now dad, hurry I’m busting to wet myself!’. I get up ‘hold onto whatever dignity my hands can hide as Ms. Princess greets the day with an ‘evacuation’ nothing short of something a draught horse would be proud of. She leaves without further comment (or washing hands for that matter). I reassume my mantle to finish ‘my thoughts’. With the precision of timing a scene from Mission Impossible would emmulate the 7yr old appears 10 seconds later. She stands about 30cm from my face (her morning breathe enough to curdle milk and ‘drop’ the cow that gave it) and says ‘Dad, I really need to go to the toilet, hurry I’m going to wet myself’. We go through the same senario for a second time. I reflect back on the movie ‘Ground Hog Day’ and decide this weekend is the weekend I fix the bathroom door lock.

I ‘give up’ (there is only so much indignation the human spirit can tolerate). As ’empty’ as my toilet break ‘allows me to be’ under the circumstances I then shower for work wondering what ‘Judge Judy’ (the family name for our bath scales) will hand down as a decision this week. I get out, dry myself hoping I can absorb at least a kilogram of residual water left on my body by the shower and position Judy in the same spot, on the same tile as I have done many hundreds of times before.

As I squat like a sumo wrestler over Judy but without the ceremonial attire telling her ‘I know you hate me but please be nice today Judy’ my wife walks into the bathroom. She greets a scene of my bottom facing her, legs spread in my sumo stance and talking to a set of bath scales. I cannot bring myself to look around or acknowledge her existence and hope she will return to bed and wake up later thinking it was all a ‘nightmarish vision’ created within her sleeping mind. However, I have come to far and experienced to much humiliation to back out now.

I hold onto the vanity basin to brace the scales from ‘whirling’ like poker machine reels and slowly let the pressure of my body ‘sink’ onto the ‘truth meter’ and watch them steadily rise and settle. At this point I exhale the last of my breath out of my lungs to get an ‘accurate reading’ that only ’empty, clean, naked and breathless’ can provide. The judgement is ‘handed down’ and the ‘sentence’ for the week ahead is passed.

I usually ‘appeal the process’ and repeat the actual weigh in three times and take the two out of three corresponding results as the ‘High Court truth’ (There is a higher jurisdiction than Judy but only just!).

It is about at this time as the ‘ordeal’ comes to either its triumphant or devestating conclusion that the assembled crush of my teenage children appear at the bathroom door to ‘see me haul myself away’ in my naked state to dress for the day ahead. Their ‘hooping, laughter, hollowing and geering’ providing the final ‘icing on the cake’ for the morning’s events.

Any of this sound familiar?

Honestly BKD! You really need to write the book.”What You Didn’t Need to Know About Fast Dieting But Were Afraid to Ask”. 😆
    Have you considered either staying in bed to think, putting in a second toilet/long drop out the back or adding more fruit/ beans/ roughage to your diet? Cheers P

BKD I nearly wet myself reading your post.

A few aspects are similar to mine but only the less colourful ones. OH and I are the only ones at home now, and we have had the luxury of an ensuite for at least 30 years so had forgotten about the toilet parade.

As Purple says, what about a 2nd toilet or long drop? At least you could get some man thinking time to yourself.

Much more successful FD today. Haven’t done the sums yet but ‘pasta’ of eggplant and carrot in tomato, onion, mushroom and capsicum sauce with 10g grated parmesan sprinkled over. Should be OK but now nearly 2.5hours after dinner and still hungry. Nearly time for bed I think. Cheers N

Hi Nicky and Melbourne Mum, thanks for your kind words. You will make the magic H:W ratio some time soon. You both have such determination and are so supportive of others. Cheers, Bay 🙂

Ha BKD wait until you can’t see the numbers on the scales without reading glasses (which I refuse to wear) without squatting over with your nose almost on the dial bit. Its very dignified, particularity when naked.

No Jenklar. ..buy new large font digital scales. We don’t want the additional mass of the reading glasses corrupting the results 😉 P

Hi There fellow antipodeans, @bigkahunadad congrats on the loss and thanks for that little anecdote of morning rituals!

Can I ask something of all of you on this thread? I am doing my second fast day for the week today and it is my 7th week of 5:2 and I have lost 4kg. I am wondering if my weight loss might be slower because I have only 5-10kg to lose? At 72 kg when I started I was just into the overweight category for my height and now at 68kg I feel I am battling against what Gillian Michaels calls “vanity pounds” as in, I am not really unhealthy at this weight and therefore my body is not in a hurry to shed kilos. Does this sound right or am I just making excuses? Feeling a bit defeated today but I’m pushing through. 🙂

Hi Festina
    I also have been on this plan for three weeks now…fasting 2 days mostly Mondays and Thursday..but if social events fall on these days I will fast the following day…and have been stable at 70kg for the past two weeks..well my weight fluctuates by 500grm..since reaching 70kg…and and feeling frustrated..at not being able to lose that extra 2kg. ..but I’m sticking at this….as I have lost 3 kg in a very short time…and not planning to have it return with friends…
    I’m hoping that over time the extra weight will be lost…and I have no time frame for this to happen..but will be a 5:2 girl for life…

You’ve done well Festina
    Remember to adjust your TDEE for your new weight. It has to keep going down. You will continue to lose whenever you eat less. Cheers P

Thanks PVE and Darwingirl. I appreciate the support. I am finding fasting days easier I am just impatient to see results I guess. Thank again.

Good grief!
    I am definitely failing at fasting this week. Paralysis tick removed but causing all sorts of havoc…headaches, due to it’s placing itself on my eyelid and not getting properly removed first off.

And now the door to my mothers house (on a river) has blown in with the crazy weather we are having on the east coast…I am just a bundle of misery at the moment.

I have given up totally and will start again when I am in a better state.

Hi Alimax.
    I have been doing this WOE for almost 7 months and have been amazed by the results. I have lost 16kg and my BMI is now comfortably in the healthy range. I think I may even be able to fit into my wedding dress – I plan to try that on, on my wedding anniversary in 2 days time. Still hoping for a few more kgs, to give me some wiggle room for all the holidays we are planning now that I have stopped paid work……….

Hi Matrica, sorry to hear about the recent problems with tick bites and bad weather wrecking your house. It’s a great idea to try fasting when you aren’t so stressed and have sorted out the emergencies. That’s the most wonderful thing about this way of eating, you can always pick it up another day and go forward, without giving yourself any grief.

Welcome BrisTon, congratulations on achieving such brilliant results! Well done! Hope you have a wonderful anniversary wearing the dreamy dress you got married in!

I’ve got another day flat out massaging tons of guests at the resort, so definitely won’t have time to stop and feel hungry today…haha, it’s much easier to fast when my hands are busy, and I can’t wander aimlessly over to the fridge or pantry…

Cheers dears, have a happy fast day!

thnx ……… i will try…

Checking in for the first time for a couple of weeks. Fun to read some posts from new people and see some of the regulars still posting (especially aitchbee who started the same day as I did).

OH just can’t maintain his weight on 6:1 and keeps threatening to give up fasting. This is despite enjoying three good meals on the six feast days and seemingly stuffing his face nonstop in between. Ho hum….some guys have all the luck.

I, on the other hand can see myself doing this as a way of life. Nine weeks and eighteen fast days in, I really enjoy the fast days now. It’s like a cleansing and makes me feel all superior! After the initial dramatic weight loss of the first few weeks, I am now only losing about 300-500 gms a week. One week I didn’t lose anything which discouraged me a lot. But overall, the trend is down so, over time, I really could be THINATLAST someday in the not too distant future. I’ve convinced five new people to try this WOL so it’s fun swapping recipes and comparing notes.

I still weigh daily. I’m down 4.8kgs and people are noticing which is such a boost. Lots of ups mid-week before the downward trend. Yesterday we went kayaking on our fast day, it’s so good for the soul. It really takes your mind off fasting since it’s just you and nature. Lovely!

Well done thinatlast!
    Great to ‘see’ you again. P 🙂

Thanks PVE – are you home from your trip around Oz?

Yep. Just did Sydney to Albany in 3 weeks and flew home. Great adventure. About to catch a ferry on the Harbour as it is a lovely sunny day. Have a good one. P

Hi SH mates.

Thinatlast, well done on the steady loss. Yes, keep at it and you (and I) will be!

Bay, thanks for kind words. Just try to return the favour by supporting the crew members.

Had such a busy non-FD day yesterday. Weights after work and pedometer came in at 15,350 steps. Mon-Wed about 2,500C total. Bonus was that, although have recently been very undisciplined on non-FDs, this morning down another 0.4kg and 1cm off waist.

Not blaming my family for my lack of discipline, but this household is disastrous for weight-watching, unless it’s to see it going up. 😉 Snacks of every description (e.g. chocolate biscuits, Pringles, savoury biscuits, Red Rock chips) call me from what the grandies call Pa’s lolly drawer, also usual suspects in the fridge like cheese. Why don’t I want a piece of lettuce when the munchies strike? Anyway, enough whining! Resolved to only eat at mealtimes on non-FDs and practise FD strategies when the snacks call. Sitting with cup of black tea now.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Nicky, I was given an enormous tub of chocolates for my birthday when the giver knows I don’t eat chocolate and how hard we’ve both worked on this for 18 months. Amazing! !!! 🙂 P

Hi Purple. Some people!!!

Bay, something happened to my post taking ages to upload. Consequently realized there was a typo in my comment to you but couldn’t edit. I meant I’m trying to contribute support, not giving an instruction to you. Apologies!

Hi Nicky F, I have found pickled gherkins to be my standby snack on fast days. At only 6 cal per 30 grams, a couple of small gherkins take the edge off and don’t really make a dent into the day’s calorie allowance. And before you ask – No I am not pregnant! 🙂
    HB

Hi all, great to see lots of new people still here and doing well – and the old timers as well 🙂 almost the end of another fd for me, all gone well although I am VERY much looking forward to dinner. Finding it easier just not to eat until night time now, I guess after five weeks my body is adapting. Hope everyone has a great weekend fasting or not

Hi everyone! I weighed myself today and lost a total of 3.5 KG and its been one calendar month since hubby and I started (5th week fasting) I feel so motivated, this is the most weight loss I have had in a month with any form of diet I have done for many many years. And I havent even attempted any exercise yet, just been following the caloric requirements or less during fasting days. We just reconditioned all our bikes (flat tires and really dusty lol) and aiming to do some gentle biking in the weekend :-). Still having headaches on the FD though, reason I can’t make myself do anything. Getting really warm here in WA, hopefully get me ass in the water for a swim lol.
    Have a good one all 🙂

Just back from 9 weeks in Europe. No fasting, just TDEE (as close as possible without calorie counting) and lots of walking – but still the occasional croissant and French patisserie – and a glass of wine. I gained 600g overall. After being home just over a week, and 2 fast days, I’ve shed it, so am stoked.
    It is a real challenge for me to maintain weight without scales. All I had was a dressmaker’s measuring tape and I tried to keep my waistline the same throughout.
    I felt as if I was in freefall.
    I tend to swell up when it’s hot, so I wasn’t confident at all.
    Now I feel I just might be able to maintain my weight loss when I reach goal.

Do many people do Monday and Friday? I would do Thursday but I’m not able to, I normally weigh in on Fridays but do you suggest I switch to Saturday so it’s after my fast day?

Good Luck!!!!! Alimax

Same to u PINARS

Well done Mama!
    600gm is only 3 glasses of water anyway!
    I’m glad you had a great trip and came home unscathed (weight wise).

Great work Pinars. You have got it cracked 😉

On this wol we can have it all! Go SHs! PVE

Hi Everyone,
    I too am enjoying reading the post and having a giggle (BKD) , yes you should at least write for one of those women’s mags. :).

It has been a slow slog for me, but I read others posts and keep going. I have finally hit the 60.9 kg this morning. I started at 64.8 on the 19 of August. To be honest I was hoping to be closer to 58 but I too “am a shortie” 5′ 1/2″.) Although I would rather say I am ‘not tall’.

I have started using ‘my fitness pal” to track what I eat. I think it does make a difference. The odd Almond / strawberry or rice crackers do add up! I managed to stay under 400 cals on my fasting days this week :).

Have a good and “good eating” weekend.
    And Well done All.
    Jane

Hi and congrats to all. I am sitting fighting with myself this morning. Today is day 6 (week 3) of my journey to lose about 10 kg. I normally fast Mon/Thurs, but this week did a Monday fast and a ‘mini’ fast on Wed also. Not 500 callries tho, prob about 600-700, and intend(ed) to also do a proper fast today, Friday, as well. Felt rather virtuous. BUT, I decided to weigh myself this am. Purchased new scales earlier this week (digital as opposed to my old mechanical) and expected a difference in weight, so hopped on the old scales first, only to discover I had gained a little! So then got onto the new digital scale and it showed a 2.2kg increase! Very depressing, as apart from yesterday when I slipped, I had been very good. So far today (0930) have not eaten, as on fast days usually wait till noon to eat. Will try to stick to it today and go on from here, but my mindset is not good. Has anyone else failed to lose for 3 weeks when starting this regime? When younger (I am now 74) I used to be able to drop weight very easily but at this age, as with everything else, it is harder! My TDEE is approx 1530+ and BMI 23.7. I am rather inactive (exercise-wise) due to knee and back problems. Should I be consuming less than 500 calories on fast days perhaps? Oh well, will try to lift this mood and press on.

Hi Shoshanna

Keep it up! 🙂 I’m thinking at your age and height that 300-400 calories would most likely be enough on Fast Days. It’s a good idea to fill yourself up with homemade vegetable soup that has no starches in it.

Lots of herbs and spices to keep you interested in your food.

I am 68 yo, and 162 cm = 5 ft 4 inches, and now weigh 60 kg. having lost 17 kg and three clothing sizes. I have 400 calories as a maximum on my fast days. Sometimes less. I had lots of plateaus on my way down in weight, but kept on losing size. Are you measuring yourself regularly?

Do you remember the skinny older people of our youth? I remember that they ate like birds. And seemed to have lots of energy.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi BC, I find weighing after FD maximises the loss, which is good for the morale. Cheers, Bay 🙂

Listening to Richard Fiedler interview Richard Flanagan re his Booker winning novel. On ABC Radio.

Bay, I love the way Flanagan used the Man Booker award as a platform to rip into our govt over the environment. Go Tassies! 😉

Hi Bay. So far so good today, mood lifted and am sticking to it. Only lasted till 11am today for first food. Had 2 small eggs scrambled made with water and in a non stick pan so no oil , and a med tomato (approx 175 cals according to MM’s calorie counter. Nothing else till dinner. Heavy protein day. I normally drink 1.5L water +/day anyway, so will up this on fast days. Having lean fillet steak (100g, no visible fat . 116cals) and green salad for dins. Don’t eat a lot of carbs any day or fried food. Habit of a lifetime watching my weight. I normally weigh after a fast day, but was keen to try the new scales (BIG BIG mistake). In a moment of madness, contemplated taking them back ad nauseum and replacing them for different brands until I found ones that told me what I wanted to hear!!! Sadly sanity returned and I decided this would not work, you think? Have been outside watering and planting more herbs to raise the profile of my fast day meals! Onwards and upwards (or downwards for weight) and will take this morning’s weight as a base going forward. I have re-calculated my TDEE and BMI for the (apparent) weight gain. Strangely, stomach feels flatter, so let’s hope it’s a bit of fluid (and unfriendly new scales??)

Well done, Shoshanna

The weight difference could well be the difference between the two scales, giving you a new base weight, as you say. It could also be the place you are putting them on the floor. I have found that digital scales are temperamental beasts. There is a spot on my bathroom floor, where the scales easily give me 2 kg more. I decided that was a flaw in the floor 😆 and I weigh myself about 50 cm away from there. As you say, what really matters is the contrast on a weekly basis.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

PS. Go herbs! Have already picked rocket for my salads plus lettuce and herbs for meals.

Hi Shoshanna

I acquired new scales a few weeks ago after our old ones died. Overnight I weighed 3.5kg more! 🙁

After a few hours of grumping and whining, I recalculated and went on from there. Also went back to my starting record on the Tracker and changed all the readings (fortunately not many) so the graph still looks the same in terms of gradient, just a higher starting point. Psychologically I certainly didn’t need that 3.5kg apparent weight increase on my downward trending plot!

Happy Friday all, whether fasting or feasting.

Shoshanna, I agree with Bay and Nicky. Scales vary (I run down stairs to hubby’s to get the lowest) but as long as you are shrinking (your clothes getting loose is an excellent indicator) then the actual number doesn’t matter, does it? Enjoy finding the exact spot on the tiles, and where to stand on the scales, for the most positive feedback 😉 P

I too was having scale issues with them being all over the place ( and hard to read) so I am now using the balance board that came with the Wii fit game my kids have. Not sure about it’s accuracy but I figure as long as its going down that’s the main thing, it also calculates BMI which is handy and shows you a nice little graph of it as well.

Ha ha Jenklar
    Reminds me of when I got on the Wii after the year of fasting…I hadn’t used it in that time. ..it didn’t recognize me as me (I’d lost 27kg). I think it thought I was a lightweight visitor 🙂 P

PVE it told me this morning it was concerned I was losing the weight too fast – I took it as a compliment 🙂

Ha Ha Jenklar. Such concern from a machine 🙂 Definitely complimentary.

I should get mine out – also haven’t used it for ages. During the winter played tennis and bowled with the grandies but haven’t had the step out for over 12 mths.

Happy Friday all.

After my first week on this WOL I have lost 3kg, Is this a normal amount?

Hi Sassy, I too live in Melbourne. I am fairly new to 5:2. Have lost a couple of kilos still have a long way to go. My sister is working with me and I have a daughter in W.A. who I will be visiting from next Wednesday for 8 weeks. She will also be keen to keep me on track. I am determined to use this eight weeks away from my routine to make strides in weight loss and improving overall health. I found 5:2 when I watched Sunday Night several weeks ago. Ross Coulthard visited Michael Mosley and discussed 5:2 with him. So checked up online and here I am. Getting organised with 5:2 has been a little tricky, FD’s okay but the non FDdays have been a struggle. So I need to adhere to my motto which is “Eat Less, Move More.” Eating the number of calories suggested is too many for me as I either stay the same or put on. So have decided to follow my dieticians food guide (of several years ago) on non FD’s. As a treat for myself I have upgraded my seat to business class more room and comfort. Hopefully on the flight back I will have lost enough weight to be more comfortable in economy. Unsure how the forums work but look forward to hearing from you. I am a young 72 years old and live in Croydon. Hopeful Kath

Hi All! This forum appears to be like a fun, supportive and thankfully local group .. Definitely something I’ve been looking for….I’ve been on the Facebook 5:2 group but found there to be a few very strong personalities that have perhaps lost track of the main fact that we are here to support each other! Anyway, been doing 5:2 since September 1 this year.. Have been doing ADF for the past two weeks and think I’ll keep doing that..I think it agrees with me.. Started at two fat ladies (88kgs) and am down to 82.7 .. I’m 57 and also live in Melbourne! Keeping this short and sweet for starters.. I would like to get down to 68kgs.. Anyone have an idea how long it takes to lose 10kgs? I really want to have this as my WOL forever as a healthy lifestyle.. It’s difficult at times as hubby is on home haemodialysis so has certain diet restrictions etc.. You’re all doing a fabulous job! Cheers

My OH and I were very conscientious and lost 10kg in 10 weeks. I took a year to lose 27kg, but it comes off fastest initially. You need to be very mindful on non fast days and cutting down on carbs helps too. You can do it! All the best PVE

Thanks for that advice PVE and the quick response! I have cut right back on carbs.. Do have the occasional brown rice ..I have found that my usual muesli in the mornings on non-fast days just doesn’t cut it anymore (tastes like sawdust) I can see my palate has changed but am a bit stumped for breakfast ideas on non-fast days..And i do slip up big time on the occasional non-fast day.. I’m pretty determined as this is way overdue and vowed to myself I would never go over 88..

Hi again Hootin
    I’ve just had asparagus, tomato, shallot, capsicum, a little lean bacon, an egg, parsley and a sprinkle of parmesan all thrown together in a pan. Cracked pepper on top. Great non fast breakfast.
    What about berries and yoghurt or a stuffed mushroom (see ideas on the LOACA Recipe thread on this site). An apple or a pear makes a good breakfast in a hurry. I now skip breakfast on many days…much quicker. ..and I know I can go long stretches without food now.
    Set a goal of ‘under 80’, then keep readjusting it as you go down. 😉 P

Viewing 50 posts - 3,151 through 3,200 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.