Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,851 through 2,900 (of 28,021 total)

• Hi CG,
    Thanks for the kind words. Though the winter I was getting cold working outside on the farm and found it hard to stick to the fasts, although I didn’t gain. Now the weather has warmed a little and the sun is shining life in the fast lane is much more happy.
    I have also repaired a couple of injuries so my pain has reduced, and I have OH unemployed at present, but that is not bad, it is great to have him here helping me on the farm and supporting me each and everyday.
    IHAW, thanks for the positive support as well.
    I have also managed to source a fresh supply of fish to have with salads on fast days and so I only have to make one meal as OH has the same as he loves fresh fish.
    Winter also saw me go back to bad habits like eating bread, biscuits and cake that I made for the household on non fast days, and not counting calories.
    Now I am back in control
    Charlie. 🙂

Hi Bay
    Thanks also for the kind words of support.
    Charlie

Seriously, I have to get a pad and pencil to remember names to respond back personally to people like many of you do. It is obviously a ‘male brain’ thing but I cannot keep track. Please do not be offended people and I am looking at becoming better at this forum thing.

Kathryn, was it you asking me how the renovating is going? Honestly, if I have to paint another room or lay another tile in this lifetime…Have been getting ready for a garage sale we are having tomorrow…If there is one thing I hate more than painting and tiling it is getting ready for a garage sale!

Since starting this 5:2 diet (like many of you I simply started on the basic info provided on TV over the last few weeks) I have been thinking why it works for me and obviously others out there. My take is this:

I have tried all the diets. You know the ‘eat half a carrot and have the other half as an enema diet’, the ‘eat 5 litres of Spinach soup a day followed by the 5 litre spinach enema diet (you get the basic idea!). My two cents is that they all have a ‘ongoing guilt complex’ built into them by the very fact that you are on them 24/7. Once, you fall off the ‘very narrow path’ they set, the tendency is to really cut loose for a while or forever. However, 5:2 is different. It is more ‘forgiving’ by its very design. It has a ‘guilt release valve built in’.

See on 5:2 you can have the perfect start to a fast day till midday. Then, you find out your husband is having an affair with the guy next door, your daughter comes home for lunch and informs you she is pregnant to the ‘druggo’ running the ‘meth lab’ down the street, your best friend comes over to tell you she is a lesbian and fancies your sister and is determined to ruin her marriage to ‘win her’ and then your son lobs into the kitchen to inform you he has quit his job and is moving back home to save money. Meanwhile, your GP rings and tells you the results of those STD tests are back and you “better drop in for a chat ASAP”. By now, half way into that family block of chocolate, third glass of red wine and chaser of what’s left of last nights Chinese take away…the gig is up….but no quite the opposite.

Rather, unlike diets that are on 24/7, 5:2 will let you (as long as you do not take regular advantage), simply let you wipe the day and start afresh with a fast day later in the week. The disaster above simply becomes part of the ‘5’ of the diet regime. That I believe is its real inner beauty behind the science and research.

Wow, more newbies I see today. You guys go for it. I look forward to hearing about those early successes.

P.S. Just looked at length of this post above. Does my bum look fat in it?

As always bigkahuna, your amusing, yet incredibly accurate descriptions of a real life scenario makes me want to read more. You have a way with words, and could definitely write a book, if not that a comedy-drama series for television, or perhaps a stage play? I can see it now…’5:2 not the drama, but the answer!’

Seriously though, it’s not what you say, but how you say it. Keeping it real is always a good thing, and 5:2 lets all of us get on with the really deep and important stuff, like getting our good health back!

Saw a news item last night about breast cancer being much higher in women with larger waist measurements, but good news is that the likely hood of it developing can be quickly reduced by reducing one’s waist measurement….so yet another excellent reason for doing 5:2!

I’m planning on keeping this up for the rest of my days, it’s not a quick fix for me. I literally need this to keep healthy, active and more switched on to life!

Cheers dears!

BKD – Bahahahahahahaha

What fun you blokes are! Said with affection 🙂 Bay

What a brilliant description of life and what it can throw at you Bkd! Absolutely spot on why 5:2 works. It is flexible and natural. Go boy! P 🙂

Ha Bigkahuna, this morning your post really made me laugh as one of your scenarios happened to me recently, I won’t tell which one so it makes me seem more interesting!
    I weighed in this morning for the first time since I started 5:2 two weeks ago and I have lost 3.1kg which I am very happy with, it’s been 2 days since my last fast day so I am assuming that’s real weight loss and not just fluid. Pretty amazing since I didn’t do any extra exercise (read none) and Thursday included cake and half a packet of clinkers. I am indeed a convert.
    Have a great weekend everyone

Great job jenklar!
    Make sure to keep recording your measurements, or use the tracker, it really helps to see where you’re been and where you’re going. I look back on my early measurements and smile to myself, it keeps me focused and happy to know that I’ve honestly come so far.

Hi ihaw, I filled in my tracker this morning, that downward line put quite a smile on my face. I know my measurements pretty intimately cos I am a mad keen sewer and make a lot of clothes. No changes yet but I made a skirt yesterday and there was much admiring of my much flatter tummy – only by me, no-one else noticed!

Well done Jenklar
    As a mad keen sewer, be prepared to do lots of altering on your 5:2 journey 🙂 P

IHAW – re: Meditation

I’ve beed away for a few days and our thread has exploded!!!

Anyway, I have been using meditation as a tool for relaxation and change for about 10 years. I discovered “Yoga Nidra” when I was a pretty strung out new mother of twins. It’s a guided meditation by a Swami (I have several different ones which I use depending on my needs) that has quite profound effects. There is an element to yoga called a “salkalpa” (?sp) which you say at the beginning and end of the meditation, and you can use as a seed to plant deep in your brain to help you deal with issues or make the changes you need to in life. This all sounds very airy fairy, and I’m no hippie. But this works. Even my physics geek husband uses it from time to time, particularly if he’s stressed out or travelling and trying to deal with jet lag. The CDs I have are from the Satyananda style of yoga. I don’t know if the other branches of yoga are comparable.
    I sometimes need to use it on fast days as I sometimes am a bit too alert and need to get to sleep. Other times I used it when I’m stewing over something I need to let go. And also when I need to get back on track with an issue like diet or study.
    What are your meditation techniques?

Jenklar -I sew too. Now the weather is warming up I put on some tops – too small and beyond alteration. Need to redraw my slopers and get stuck into my stash!

Tim – so glad you’re back. I wish you the speediest of recoveries. *hug*

Welcome all the newbies – I hope you all find a way to make 5:2 work for you and get back to looking and feeling great. I’m having a bit of a break over the school holidays, but my body is telling me I need to fast. Just not today – Go Swannies!!!! Yes, a Swans supported in Melbourne 😀

Hi MM, great to hear you use meditation too.
    I like sitting and breathing using a similar yoga nidra technique, focusing on saying phrases in my mind which start with…’I am….’ , like “I am still, I am peace, I am satisfied, I am whole, I am complete”, etc….Each time I breathe in slowly and steadily and say the phrase to myself. I also focus on the either the crown chakra, heart, solar plexus, hands, as I do this.

I’ve shown some of my massage clients with stress related anxiety other simpler ways to calm down with simple meditative breathing, by counting the seconds on the in breath and then the out breath….I like to say count slowly in to 4, and then out to 4. Counting gives the mind something to do, and lets the slower breathing calm down their overactive nervous system. It’s easy to master and highly effective. They can use it anywhere, anytime and costs nothing!

I just re-read my post above.
    I meant I’m too small – thanks to 5:2 – for my old summer clothes!! Not the clothes! I think the kids need to go back to school so I can get my brain back… hehe

Good morning SH mates.

Tim, so glad to hear from you and that you’re recovering. Sorry about the taste buds and sense of smell. As you say, in the meantime you’ll save a bundle on cheese, coffee &c.

Charlie, well done on the loss. So irritating when gains/plateaux happen for no obvious reason. Fortunately we all know they do happen so it doesn’t derail us in this WOL. In any other situation, I would have eaten half a packet (at least) of Tim Tams accompanied by all sorts of breast-beating when the scales show an increase despite best efforts.

BKD your accurate description of life’s de-railings was so entertaining. When you’ve finished renovating &c. maybe a book?

All washing blowing on the line and have just looked critically at my mending/alterations pile 🙁 My new MS Surface Pro is playing up so am planning trip to city this pm to get it looked at and a visit to DJs to buy something new in my new size. Have older clothes that fit but a new top calls. Football GF means should be quiet there.

Welcome to all new recruits and keep up the good work everyone. N

Jenklar – That’s an awesome weight loss. AND it includes cake & clinkers! I LOVE this WOE 🙂

If only Clinkers were the secret weight loss ingredient – what a perfect world that would be

Hello to my fellow Southern Hemisperers, I am new to both this fasting game and obviously here. I go by Artygal1 and I’m an overweight artist, unhappy with my apple shape and the yo yo game of dieting. I was very inspired watching Sunday on 7 (Australia) and seeing Mr Mosely and his inspiring story. Love to hear what your progress and tips are for sticking with it. I wish us all the best and may our weight loss dreams come to fruition.

Hello everyone. My partner Simon and I have just started the Alternate Day Fasting, and today is our second fast day. I live in Canberra (don’t hold that against me!) and I watched Michael Mosley’s “Eat Fast & Live Longer” doc on my phone several days ago and can say I am a convert!

Yes I know – watching a movie on a tiny screen is not normally something I would do – but am SO glad I did! So I found my copy of the fast diet book which I purchased some months ago because a friend had raved about it, and read it. I’m impressed!

Hi ArtyGal & JenniQ! Welcome to this thread & to this way if eating/life (WOE/WOL). I think you’re going to love it 🙂

Artygal – my progress to date. I started 5:2 about 9 weeks ago. Within 5 weeks I lost 7kg & found it sooooooo exciting. Then for about 10 days I plateaued. I didn’t think it was a big deal until I out on over a kilo. Then within the next 10 days I out on another 4+ kilos!!! I was so demoralised. I kept posting on this thread & trying to work out what might be causing this road block. Finally it occurred to me that at about the same time my weight loss stopped (and then reversed) I had switched from drinking water with lemon juice squeezed into it to drinking diet cordial which had artificial sweeteners. I was drinking 1-3 litres a day.

I remembered somewhere along the way reading that for some people artificial sweeteners prevent fat loss. I did more research and saw there was a lot of research pointing to this as true fir some people. So last Sun morning was my first day off the artificial sweeteners. In one week I have lost 6kg!!! Mind you that’s with 4 fast days to speed the process along.

My tips:
    – Do what works for you so that you stay with this WOE. If that means some fast days go to 800 cals so be it.
    – if you totally binge don’t sweat it. Tomorrow is another day.
    – read everything you can about intermittent fasting so you stay motivated & inspired
    – post on here to share & get support
    – pay attention to how artificial sweeteners effect you
    – i find that if I eat breakfast I wake the sleeping dragon of hunger so on my fast days I drink lots of coffee to get me through until lunchtime or 2pm

I hope that’s helpful.

JenniQ – Good on you for watching the WHOLE documentary on your phone! That’s commitment 😉

Hi all . So good to see lots of new people here. I’ve been doing 5 2 for two weeks now ( I’m pretty new too! )and am loving it! I fast Mon and Tue, and actually look forward to it. Is that weird or what! I don’t have breakfast on those days, just lots of herbal teas and a salad with a little protein like tuna or ham etc. Dinner is usually veg and another small protein. I like the rose hip tea with lemongrass and ginger by Nerada, it’s a lot nicer than green tea. Also Hawthorn tea, as I read it’s good for high bp, which I have. Since doing all this, bp has reduced heaps! My Dr gave me a prescription for bp pills, and It’s stuck on the fridge as a reminder of what could be if I don’t do something about it. It’s a great idea to use the tracker here, too. I’m already losing cm’s and I’m down 2.3kg! My jeans are feeling loose, and my head is feeling wooo! Happy days to us all, Linda 🙂

It’s not really 8.50pm it’s Sunday morning, 6.50! I wonder why it shows the time wrong…

Jenklar, 3.1kg that is a great effort and ‘all power to you for the effort to date’. As to the flat stomach, I am sorry that no one noticed. As a male I would say this was due to the ‘cut’ of the skirt’. If it sat just on your hip bones, had no back in it and all your midriff was exposed ‘perhaps’ one perceptive male may have commented!! Maybe a suggestion for your next outfit…lol.

MelbourneMum, you sew and meditate? I do not believe then you could possibly have children. How do you ‘cleanse your sharkra’ while a child is pestering you for a vegemite sandwich in your ear?

ihaveawaist, thanks for the flattering comments. You are such a positive and supportive influence on all those reporting successes here. I would nominate you as the perfect ‘coffee pal’. Empathetic, caring and sharing!

Hey Nicky, did you wipe the wallet out and max the credit card on a summer wardrobe? More to the point, I hope you did not give your ‘significant other’ a heart attack on return from DJ’s.

Chikita…..6kg in one week!!! Are you on the ‘0:7’ diet? Amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. Or did I read your post wrong. After reading your post you are a weight loss queen. I am sending you the crown in the post this week. It is made of quality Belgian chocolate…

Great to quickly catch up and hi again to all the new people joining here. The people I have mentioned here by name are great people to read posts from and gain support through. Have a great day everyone.

Oh, in closing. Had our garage sale yesterday. Was like a scene from the film ‘Deliverence’. Funny, Funny day of dealing with ‘hardened garage sale types’. But, I will spare everyone the details…You can read all about it on the forum I have started here called “5:2 Garage Sale Crazies”….

BKD you’re absolutely right. I can’t sew or meditate, or do anything for me when the kids are around. It’s hard enough keeping the family on track. That’s why I *need* to meditate lol. My time for recharging is when the rest of my world is asleep. It’s amazing how spending just half an hour doing something for myself boosts my spirits and helps me through the challenges of the day.

Hi MM, I’m the same,
    I wake up super early and do my meditation when the rest of the world is fast asleep. No use trying to do it when there are interruptions and phones ringing. It makes a big difference having meditation start my day, everyday, even on holidays.
    Without iti feel uneasy and unsettled. With it I feel wonderful.

Lindanaf it’s the time where the website is hosted. UK time.

Hello…. anyone else from the Gold Coast here? I started last Monday and am sooo happy to report I’ve already lost 1.5 kilo and its not that hard you just have to keep reminding yourself “its only for one day” and tomorrow I can eat whatever I want.
    Also I havent done any excercise either.

Hi SH mates new and ‘old’ (in time doing 5:2, not years)

Welcome to the new recruits. Others have welcomed you by name – so glad you have decided to take up this way of living (WOL) as your bodies will thank you.

Yesterday’s trip to the city was so easy re parking/traffic – obviously most people home watching the GF. Congratulations to Hawks supporters, commiserations to Swans fans.

BKD you would have been impressed by my self control. Actually only joking, just brought home one top (pale yellow Sportscraft T-shirt) because couldn’t find anything else I really liked. Apologies to males for TMI, but as I wear sports bras and the fashion seems to be wide necklines, most didn’t suit. I can only wear yellow when the weather warms up because my skin has pink undertones which are masked when I’m a little tanned but this top looked great so very happy. OH liked it too.

My Surface Pro has been kept in ‘hospital’ for a tech to look at it tomorrow and I’ll collect it on Tuesday. Back to using what was once whizz-bang Toshiba Sattelite Pro but it feels so clunky now. Despite my age I love new tech toys.

Fasting as usual tomorrow and Tuesday for me while at work. Yesterday at my daughter’s house after shopping – OH and SIL building a shed. Had piggy afternoon tea but fun with grandies.

Happy Sunday all.

Happy Sunday SH fasters,
    IHAW, does milking cows count as meditation? I do it because I love the girls and it means for two hours a week I do not have to deal with the human of the species.
    MM I too am a sewer, but at present I am spending all my time taking things in. Today is warm and sunny and for the first time in years I have ventured out in shorts. Can’t believe how good it feels.
    Vegie garden is looking great, and that feels good. Been planting more leafy green seeds. Fasting today as I have blood donation tomorrow, then OH has night out on Tuesday so will fast again Thursday.
    Have a happy week everyone
    Charlie.

PS. BigDad your post reminded me of some of the people I used to deal with years ago when I was a police officer, no wonder I like cows and no you bum did not look big in that. ( hug)

Hey Charlie,
    good to hear you’re taking in your clothes and wearing shorts! Woohoo! Show those legs off and get a bit of sun!
    I rekon milking is a wonderful way to meditate. It is soothing to do activities where you don’t need to think too hard, just go through the motions and let everything wash over you. Things like kneading bread, spinning wool, knitting are very meditative, don’t you think?

I inherited some groovy young skinny clothes my daughter was sending to the op shop, and I was so excited that they fit me!! Yay!

My husband has gone all out to replant the old veggie bed, also putting in lots of things we’ll be happy to eat. Garlic, spring onions, basil and spinach, yum! Spring is such a cheerful time, with some lovely rain making everything fresh and green again, lots of flowers blooming making the bees happy too. I’ve been seriously considering obtaining a small hive to harvest our own honey….a girl can dream I guess.

I second your thoughts about bigkahuna, and throughly support us all keeping it fun, respectful and real!

Hi SHs (or should I say, lucky Spring bunnies!)
    How good is this weather for showing off new bodies?
    ihaw, I like to draw and sculpt and go into a meditative state when occupied with these passions. Never happens when sewing. I am a good seamstress, but have to concentrate on it too much. Artwork seems to just allow me to drift away into a higher plane.
    I gave up trying to do yoga and meditate in the early mornings as OH would always seek me out and interrupt!!!! He just doesn’t get it.
    Have had a full on social weekend, but have gained no weight. Maintenance just becomes second nature after a while.
    As I’ve said before, if you are replacing your summer clothes, buy smaller than you think you are. I am too small now for the clothes I bought last summer when I was almost at goal. My shape continues to change.
    Have a happy weekend all, P

Guys, feel I need to share a weight loss story.

My parents thought buying me a dog to walk when I was 14 and starting to gain weight rapidly would be a great idea. You know, get ‘him’ motivated to walk the dog of an arvo. Well, they bought me ‘Butch’. Now Butch was a ‘purebred cross’ between a pig dog, bull mastiff, foxy, Jack Russel, blue healer and Labrador. I am sure he was bought for one ‘scooner’ of beer at the pub and his unique breeding gave him a face only a mother could love and back legs longer than his front. Needless to say I loved Butch and his personality ‘strangely’ mirrored my own perfectly. He was unmotivated by exercise and curiously addicted to high fat foods. Basically Butch was a big stupid sloth.

Now this elaborate ‘plan’ of my parents was poorly executed despite their belief it was a master stroke, as every afternoon I had to walk past the local fish and chip shop on my way to the local footy oval with Butch where supposedly we would walk for an hour. Butch would strain at the lead till we got to the fish shop. He begrudgingly walked slowly to the oval.

Butch and I shared many kilos of hot chips and deep fried potato scollops in the grandstand of that oval (every afternoon unless inclement weather interrupted our routine). We were forced to watch various sporting teams train as we ‘sat out’ our collective food coma to a point where we could lift ourselves up to drag ourselves home before we missed out on dinner.

My parents were very pleased with my new found enthusiasm for exercise and seriously wondered if I may of had a thyroid problem as the ‘weight issue’ seemed to be not resolving itself.

We both put on about 3 stone each in twelve months. To Butch’s demise it killed him….he was run over by a truck one afternoon as he no longer had the speed to out run anything more than a jam doughnut or the will to try and save himself (it was simply too much effort). And, I hate to admit it, I think those short front legs compounded the issue.

Luckly, we did not have Butch cremated. The oil in his system would have burnt like an off shore refinery for weeks!

It was years later before I admitted to my role in the whole ‘sordid affair’. However, the morale to the story came to me later.

If you want to get a dog to ‘resolve an issue’ in your life or the life of someone you care for, do not get one that basically has the same life dilemma from the outset as you/they do.

Hi from Melbourne!

I’m a female in my early forties and I heard about 5:2 and bought the book a while ago and have watched a friend do incredibly well on it. I did start one day and was very confronted by the reality that my emotional attachment to food is greater than I thought it was. I have since been putting off getting started. I was having some fatigue issues and when I read that IF was contra-indicated for fatigue, I used that as an excuse. But afore-mentioned friend also has adrenal issues and she has adjusted just fine, so I know now it’s just a dishonest self-justification!

I am reasonably fit and healthy but I am ‘petite’ and pear-shaped, and am about 6-7 kgs over my most comfortable weight. I went shopping today. I found myself in the David Jones change rooms. There are SO MANY mirrors in those! And I really DID NOT like what I saw in the rear view mirror! I thought maybe those mirrors were particularly harsh. I went to Myer and discovered there was nothing wrong with the mirrors 🙂 And the warm weather has started – I want my bikini butt back by December!

So I am starting 5:2 tomorrow. I lost 23 kgs 10 years ago and was part of an online forum during that journey and it was awesome. I even made a friend who I still see.

So here I am, looking forward to the journey but knowing I can’t do it alone.

Hi all. I hope you’ve had a great weekend.

BigKahunaDad – yep I lost 6kg in a week. But that was because I fasted for 5 and had only 2 feed days. Plus my body responded really well to no longer consuming all the artificial sweeteners (AS) and the weight I’d put on because of the AS just melted off.

We’re leaving for America in 16 days so I’m super motivated to look great and keep to at least a 6:1 diet for the 3 weeks we’re there.

Evening SH chatter boxes, i love reading your posts, BKD you elicited a giggle or two from me :-). I have just finished my 2nd week. My waist has gone from 93cm to 86cm which is pretty good. I have tried to stay away from the wine as we love to hang out together. Im not racist, i love both red and white! Something in my brain has clicked and i now feel its ok to not have snacks and even brekky. Pre child i used to eat this way naturally then when i had my daughter and ate for Australia while i was pregnant i decided that to be healthy i should have being eating 3 healthy meals and 3 snacks a day. Consequently i gained 32 kg during pregnancy ( might have had something to do with having donuts for some of my snacks).I am so glad i can go back to eating how i used to (minus the cigarettes) and not feel guilty. I cant believe i have spent the last 12 years slogging it out at the gym and wondering why i never returned to my hottie body. Who knew! My fitness pal App is now my constant companion. Yeewww!!

Hello Southern Hemispherites
    I am just starting this 5:2, and as a result I am sleepless in Seatoun.
    It’s interesting to spend this night reading the thread. Has anyone tried alternate day fasting, the 4:3 as it seems to be called?
    I have a BMI=34 and I need to get it down to 26, maximum.
    With warm weather coming, I guess it will be salads on fast days.
    There is so much to read and if the fast diet stops me sleeping, I guess there will be plenty of time to find the answers to all the problem I will meet.
    Does anyone else find sleeping is more difficult on fast days?
    Getafix

Hi truegem, fellow Melbournian,welcome to group 🙂
    I also have an emotional attachment to food,it developed after my mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer.She passed away only 6 weeks after diagnosis. I was 6 1/2 months pregnant at the time,and had heaps of support from family and friends, and so busy with Greek rituals of funeral and mourning period,then of course bub kept me on my toes! It didn’t hit me till months after my bub was born and the pain really hit me. It’s been 4 years since and although not entirely ready to let go of my comfort food (aka chilli flavoured chips!) took the plunge of 5:2 WOE. I am very much an all in kind of person, if you ask my kids what my motto would be, they’d quote my own words “Do a job, do it right, or don’t bother at all” so I’m hopping to apply my “oh well, you’ve opened that bag of chips,might as well finish it then” train of thought to being all in on 5:2. Crossing my fingers that I no longer give my emotions the power over my eating habits. For good measure I stuck a picture of my mum on the fridge, so every time I see it I know she’d scold at me for giving in too fast, a little spooky motivation lol, actually scares me away. Hope you find what works for you.

Sitash,don’t think I’ve seen your name before, so Hello 🙂 I gained close to 30 kgs with each of first 2 pregnancies,only 9kg for 3rd as too busy and stressed (explained above). Strangely,did nothing to loose kgs after preg 1 and 2, and they just dropped off, after 3rd, half the weight was the baby, my michellin man was an 8 1/2 pounder… but instead of loosing, I gained from the comfort eating.
    I’ve managed to loose 12kg on my own over a slooooow 12 month period, and stagnated for a few months, and of course a slide backwards, when I saw the MM show on the Sunday program.Between my solo weight loss and the 5:2 WOE weight loss of 3kgs,I am almost to ‘normal’ bmi,so close I can taste it…but want to get to middle of normal bracket, 8kgs to go,where I was 12 years ago on my wedding day (I know, such a cliche,but thats the last time frame I remember of normal weight,due to all the bridal fittings, I wasn’t one of those brides who lost weight)

I’m only fairly much a newbie, about to start my 3rd week tomorrow, so happy to read any chatter about your discoveries on your 5:2 journey. So far my ‘all in’ mentality is working, and a big part of it has to do with the fact that with this forum, I don’t feel alone and get really great tips and advice. Also keeps my fingers busy on those times the pantry is calling me, so apologies for the long spills guys

Happy fasting guys this week, good luck, no, scrap that, You can do it! no luck necessary 🙂

Morning all!
    I hope everyone’s enjoying spring, and hope those with bush fires in Tassie are able to cope ok, it’s so early in the season for bushfires there, usually it’s February that’s the fire season. Guess it’s global warming.

Hello new people, it’s going to be a happy, empowering journey you’ll find yourself on, and we’re all here to lend an ear and hopeful, helpful advice along the way.

Getaffix, yes sometimes sleeplessness can be part of the 5:2. It’s something to do with the brain being triggered to go search for food, an old ancestral habit which humans formed over millions of years, before supermarkets and well stocked pantries. I find when this sleeplessness happens to me, I get up and read, write something on this forum, or meditate, whichever way I go, it beats lying there in bed getting frustrated and trying not to wake my husband.

Kathryn and Sitash, I hope this is a good solution for you both to shed the excess baby weight. Keeping a healthy supply of food, and retraining the taste buds to like carrot instead of chips on a fast day can be a dilemma. Is it the salt and crunch calling to you Kathryn, when you eat the chips? Maybe find a similar crunchy, flavoursome alternative that can be substituted for your favourites? Or maybe only eat a smaller packet on non-fast days?

I found that my tastes change dramatically after a few weeks on the 5:2. Also, I was feeling full after only eating half a plate of food, so my servings got less, and I trained myself to be ok with not finishing the whole plate. Now my chooks enjoy what I can’t finish, and I don’t beat myself up about it.

I grew up with lots of emotions around eating too, and it’s wonderful to see those damaging habits and toxic layers of old crap leave for good! Now I eat calmly and slowly eating so that I nourish and enjoy the flavours on my smaller plate, rather than rushing and using food to medicate myself… stuffing down those anxieties, dramas and distresses with each mouthful.

Sorry to hear about Butch’s sad demise bigkahuna, you should seriously take up writing, you definitely can tell a great yarn, and it’s a great way to exorcise those old demons which haunt you. Please tell me, I need to know, how did you transform yourself from a teen with a weight problem to someone who studied exercise science? You mentioned a long difficult struggle with bulimia, and diets that didn’t work, were those various regimes part of your attempt to control the frustrations with those complex big issues…. those questions that keep us all up at night…who am I? What am I doing here? What direction should I take? What’s the meaning of like? How can I make a difference? Why can’t people be nicer and more thoughtful? Why does everyone pick on me?

Whatever your story, I’m glad you’re here, and sharing with us. There are so so many men and women who also suffer in silence, battling their demons, neglecting their health and eating themselves into an early grave. You are an inspiration and I thank you for your honesty.

On another note, my new scales are apparently on the blink, so I got the old ones out of the cupboard. Hard to read the numbers but they are still accurate and don’t need batteries, so I’m happy about that.

Have a lovely fast day Monday people! Peace, love and happiness!

Morning SHs
    Thanks ihaw for your usual balanced, generous replies.
    I would add to the discussion re sleep that it IS an evolutionary connection to our hunter gatherer ancestors. My OH and I have overcome it by eating the “bulk” of our meagre fast day cals (350-400) in the evening. Also, after 18 months we may be more used to fasting.

A little hint for beginners. ..read the Fast Diet books and the info on this homepage to be completely around the principal. I have concerns about folk who only watched the Sunday program and misunderstand.

Be kind to yourself until you are used to this wol. Start by trying to master 2 fast days (eg Mon and Thursday) eating 1/4 of your calculated daily needs over the 36 hours. Eat mindfully on the other days.

Once you have mastered fasting, start experimenting to find what suits you.
    All the best. This will totally change your life! Happy fasting. PVE 🙂

Hi all,
    I ddecided to have a little holiday from 5:2 for the school holidays. Boy do I regret it. I’m bloated, constipated (TMI?), 2.7kg heavier (unlikely to be all fat – Combo of GI upset and increased salt intake – chippies) and feel awful. Fasting today. Hope to feel better tomorrow.

ihaveawaist, asking me to ‘open up’ is the hardest thing to write about. I am even stalling now over the keys trying to put this into words. However, in this place I do not think my story could resonate with people better as I am sure many have ridden the same roller coaster.

I grew up a fat child and teenager, smothered in my mothers’ love and home cooking in an era where the ‘fat kid’ was the exception not the ‘norm’. The bullying, humiliation and loneliness experienced left deep emotional and psychological scars if truth be known. I look back on childhood as one of the most unhappy times in my life. It was here that deep feelings of worthlessness and self loathing took root and grew in my psyche. I still ‘prune’ these ‘vines’ every so often!

I finished school, went off to university and started studying English literature. In my first year of Uni I was 165cm tall and 105kg. Six months into uni study, my mother dropped dead of a heart attack caused by obesity aged 52.

The anguish this caused was ‘the spark’. I tried every diet and created a few of my own from this point on. I lost 40 kg (down to 65kg)in twelve months. It was during this time my obsession with ‘extreme’ exercise began. A year after the death of my mother, my grandmother (who became my surrogate mum) died of a heart attack caused by obesity aged 78. The ‘perfect storm’ for a spiral into self destruction was set.

I moved over to science at university and started taking an interest in physiology. Extreme dieting, starvation, a move into triathlon training followed. It was not long before I saw ‘binge and purge’ as the perfect solution to ‘my problems’. At 19 and 55kg the ‘warning bells’ were ringing for everyone around me. I have one picture from this period in my life and I look miserable and starved like those poor souls we see in refugee camps on our nightly televisions.

Eventually, after much intervention from friends and family I sought help. Nothing worked. I was determined to ‘get thin’ and get the perfect body. The ‘breakthrough came’ through a ‘exercise psychologist’ (yes they exist). He ‘used my exercise obsession against me’ and explained I could not do well at exercise without lots of protein, carbohydrates and certain fats. He devised a training program for me involving heavy weights and incorporating my triathlon training. Believe it or not this ‘broke the grip’ of bulimia. I started to ‘think’ about fuelling ‘a machine’ rather than ‘stripping one down’ to a point where it would not work!.

I won’t bore everyone further but what followed was a career as a teacher, stints working in gyms (where I meet some people that had more ‘hang ups’ than myself….lol), a few stunning girl friends and a short 3 year career as a professional track athlete.

As you can see, I feel I have ‘reserved’ my seat in the front car of the ‘roller coaster’ to weight loss with this 30 year battle. I know I share the seat with many, many others and my case does not give me ‘the sympathy seat’.

So, where am I now? Still fighting. 86kg, mid life spread into full swing, into second week of 5:2 (the above accounts for why fast days are not a huge challenge for me as I was already ‘pre-wired’ to extremes if need be). Not motivated so much by self loathing as I was back in my twenties. I just want to get back to ‘feeling healthy’, ‘looking normal’ (by society standards for blokes) and riding my beloved road cycling bikes that I have kept up with over the years on and off. It is more motivation to be around for my young family than anything else however. We have 5 healthy well adjusted children. The kids play outside, go for walks, do sports and we provide them with healthy food as I would not let them endure what I did as a child, teenager, young adult for all the money in the world. Sorry, but you did ask ihaveawaist…lol.

Funny isn’t it MM? Being used to this way of life, you now see it as a blessing to have a fast. I feel the same way. I was looking forward to today’s fast after a social weekend. Like a body reset. All the best with the rest of the holidays. P

Oh, It is Monday. Happy fasting day for all on the Monday, Thursday cycle like myself. We will do this together today. I will be strong for you. I want you to do the same for us sharing the day with you…

Stick with us BigK!
    This wol is a natural life long system for regularly resetting your system to healthy. You are in the right headspace and can do this.
    Have a happy Monday Fastday. P 🙂

I really appreciate you telling us your story bigkahuna, thanks! It means so much.

It’s really motivating to not repeat our past coping behaviours, move away from our possible genetic weak points and give ourselves and our kids a chance that we will stay here with them, in the best possible health that we can achieve.

Thanks again, remember you are worth it!

Thanks for sharing your story bigkahuna, I recognised a lot of what you described in my husband, the same overfeeding in childhood and the obsessive adult determined to not be that fat kid anymore. He, like you is better but still struggles every now and then with old demons. I admire you both very much.

ihaw, I had to smile at your explanation for peoples struggle to sleep on fast days, I have read about the problem over and over on this forum, I have the exact opposite reaction,every fast day so far I am in bed by 8.30 snoring my head off. Sadly I think instead of ancient jenklar going out to find food I would have just layed down and starved to death!

Happy fasting to the Mondayites.

I had more of an image of Jenklar lying around being fed grapes gathered by the workers 😉

Hi BKD
    So much appreciated your story, as I was close to much of that from a female point of view, big kid at school, teased by the skinny kids. Then fertility problems, and associated medication made it worse.
    So glad to have found this WOL and such a supportive group in our “coffee shop”.
    Happy Monday fast,
    Charlie

Viewing 50 posts - 2,851 through 2,900 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.