Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 27,101 through 27,150 (of 28,029 total)

• Hi all,

The sun is shining today, such a lovely warm day, but with a cool southerly just taking off the edge. You must be able to tell I grew up in England with always opening my posts with a weather report?! Haha

Sounds like everyone is on a roll of some sort, well done Anzac, one kilo in a week is fab. Wish I could do that again, guess I can work on it when the weather finally improves and I can get out more to exercise. Good luck on the job front, sure you will be able to find something to suit, it s definitely an employees market out there. Hope you missed the snow?

Sounds like you’re looking forward to your next cycling trip Neil, Round The Mountains, a good ride, gorgeous scenery. Well done with the training. Not sure if you watch any of the Grand Tour cycling rides, but the La Vuelta is on presently in Spain and yesterdays finish was at the top of a mountain and it was thick fog with really heavy drizzle. The fog was so thick you couldn’t see the winner cross the finish line.

Not much cooking on the house sitting front Thin, although I have just renewed our membership for another year so it will also give us access to sitting in the UK when we are there, but I haven’t quite got around to sorting it yet. We are sitting at the same house in Hawea this late Dec for a month, one cat, 2 dogs, one horse and chickens! That wipes out Jan, then we (hopefully)have friends visiting from UK and we’re watching the five day cricket tests on the North island, so that’s February gone, March is free, then half way through April we’re house sitting for friends in their new house on the shores of Lake Ruataniwha, near Twizel for a month, just one dog, whilst they go back to the UK, then we’re off to Europe early June. Hopefully we’ll spend Nov and most of Dec down south in the Catlins/Sounds/Invercargill/Riverton region, just hoping for good weather! My OH, is like you wanting to get mobile again instead of being in a house sit too long, if it wasn’t for me, we wouldn’t be doing any at all.

Your breakfast sounded lovely Cinque, everything I love to eat, I’ve just demolished avocado, scrambled eggs, fresh spinach, grated parmesan, homemade Dukkah, with a spoonful of peanut butter, followed by a long black and a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate. Set for the day now, whatever life throws at me! Off to do some walking in this brilliant sunshine, enjoy your weekend everyone, Turn

Hi all,

Last week Miss GDay and I spent 3 days in Adelaide, it was so nice to get out of the house for a bit. We booked pre-covid to see Geoffrey Robertson’s ‘It’s no longer hypothetical’ which was cancelled several times due to covid and border closures. Not Miss GDays thing but I had 2 tickets so she offered to accompany me and 2 days off school was quite appealing I’m sure.

Miss GDay badly needed new clothes so it was an opportunity for shopping and I needed more goodies from the health shops, plus a small fortune was spent on Haiges chocolates as well as english wine gums and butterscotch lollies from the lolly shop at the markets. I will fess up – it was 1 kg of wine gums but in my defence they were not all for me, about a third were for Miss GDays dad as they are his favourite lollies too. Another confession – I consumed all of mine within 4 days. But again in my defence, we have only eaten 2 of the Haiges chocolates so far.

We went to the cinema and shared the most enormous box of popcorn and of course visited the icecream shop. I had cheesecake, chai lattes, a huge stack of pancakes and a huge fanta spider (fanta softdrink with icecream) at the Pancake Kitchen. So much junk food in just a few days but surprisingly was only 1kg heavier when we returned home, although on one day my fit bit logged just over 22,000 steps so we were very active.

How’s this, Miss GDay, 14 years of age, tall and slim (she has just surpassed me in height) is a ladies size 8 in pants/jeans and here am I, at 54 years of age, also wearing size 8 for the first time in my adult life. In June last year when I started my weight loss journey I decided the reward for myself for reaching my goal weight was to treat myself to 2 pairs of Pure Western Jeans (expensive ‘cowgirl’ jeans), normally I just wear cheap kmart jeans so these were a real treat. Anyway, when I went to our local horse supply store to purchase them I was shocked to find the size 8 was a perfect fit. I also purchased some cargo pants in Adelaide and a zip front running jacket and again, size 8 for both.

I have been sorting through the house and being ruthless in what I need and don’t need. I have managed to go through Mr GDay’s wardrobe, shoes and bits and pieces and took 11 garbage bags and 4 boxes to the op shop. The kitchen cupboards – 6 boxes to the op shop. My wardrobe, shoes and accessories – 7 bags to the op shop. Some of the clothes and shoes were brand new, never worm and I could have made some money by putting the majority of things on the local buy, swap, sell but to be honest, I have enough on my plate with everything else without the hassle of taking pictures, posting on facebook, arranging pick up etc, for items that would sell for just a few dollars plus I thought if the stuff sits around the house I will have second thoughts and not get rid of it so the op shop seemed like the best option to ensure I really did clear things out. I’ve kept a large box of items that are worth selling that should yield some $$.

I have also re-arranged the office and gym while having a huge tidy up and cull, just have a small pile of stuff in the corner I don’t know what to do with and some stuff to sell. The new arrangement looks so much better, more open and uncluttered.

Some positive news, I went for an hours walk earlier in the week and yesterday an hour of intermittent walking and running. I really did enjoy running, it felt good. Given I haven’t done any exercise in over 10 weeks I’m mindful that I need to ease back into it to avoid causing an injury. I do need to get back into weight training although surprisingly I don’t appear to have lost any muscle mass in the last few months but then again I did move a 7 ton pile of crusher dust (crushed gravel) by myself with a shovel and wheelbarrow in July – hard yacka indeed.

Still feeling overwhelmed by all that needs to be done. I really need to start focusing on completing the final bits and pieces so I can officially open my business and start earning an income. Plus I need to start on my Diploma studies otherwise I will get too far behind, I was supposed to start on the 1st July so I’m already 2 months behind the eight ball now.

Must go, I am supposed to be sorting through emails and doing paperwork but as usual, I’m procrastinating and not getting done what needs to be done.

Good morning everyone,
    I am writing quickly before I go to pick up Ms 8 and take her off for an op shop treasure hunt for a good birthday present and then a lunch out.

But Gday, I am so glad you wrote to us instead of attacking those silly old emails 😉

So good to hear about your time in Adelaide with Ms Gday, and I bet the not-hypothetical was very interesting for her even if she only went to keep you company.

Wo! What a sugar hit you gave yourself! I can’t even imagine, but I bet it was fun, and some lovely chocolate treats still ahead.

And hooray for the pleasure of exercising again.

I do hope you are not like me, where the overeating showing up over the next week, instead of straightaway. We want those cowgirl jeans to keep fitting you.

Sending lots of focus energy (just joking, if I had any I’d keep it for myself!), but truly wishing you plenty of focus so you can get things done and especially the stuff you need to do for your study and preparing for your business.

Thin, Hooray for less waist. I am learning to measure it in centimetres and my aim is for it to be around 72cms in the morning and still less than 80cms in the evening (apparently I am shorter at the end of the day because it has gone to my waist).

Neil, I hope you have had a great weekend, and got over your sugar bump. That activity is a bonus. An extra 1000 calories in a day seems a huge amount to have to burn off. All power to you.

Turn, what a good catch up. I am very weather-reporty too, must be my heritage, but also isn’t it nice to place us. Oooh gorgeous breakfast! And so many wonderful things you have planned for the year ahead.

I’m doing well with eating but need to do some planning now. As soon as Ms 8 is back home. (By which time I will be completely stuffed… ) I will lie down and plan!

Best wishes all

Good morning from a warm and sunny summer’s day in Lancashire.

Neil, that’s interesting about the music quiz ‘album covers’ although they probably aren’t called that now. I remember the sheer joy of listening to tracks from an album in a private booth of a music store, deciding to buy it, taking it home and getting to know the cover, playing it endlessly, familiarising myself with the unknown tracks and feeling so proud. Taking such care not to scratch it. Vinyl! Cassettes just weren’t the same although i had a vast collection.

That Labour Day bike ride sounds huge. Is it this weekend? Our bank holiday is this weekend. We are moored down a quiet, wooded arm of the Lancaster Canal, barely a soul around and no more than two boats passing each day on the main branch (we can feel the ripples when they do). This is our fifth day and we’re getting some jobs done on the boat.

Turn, I hope you get going again soon. It’s fun to browse some of the house sitting options. It sounds like you have loads of plans.

Cinque, have fun op shopping for birthday presents. Wow, eight years old already. Good to know that you’ve got your eating habits in hand. It’s a FD for me. I’m thinking I really need two fast days a week right now to keep me in better check.

G’day, you probably don’t notice it yourself but the difference in mood between your last two posts was significant. You are getting on with things and getting out. I bet MissD is relieved. It doesn’t matter if you don’t tackle everything right away, it wouldn’t be any fun to be studying if you didn’t feel like it. I think you were brave to go through Mr GDSA’s wardrobe so soon. It must be a milestone in your grieving process. It made me laugh that you are mainlining sugar AND weighing yourself.

Speaking of being the same weight as our daughters, we had a visitor last week, an ex-boyfriend of mine from California who we hadn’t seen in about 35 years. I weigh less now than I did then when I was at the height of my jogging fanaticism (he was the person who got me started running 10kms). He hasn’t fared so well. Overweight and sadly suffering from Parkinson’s Disease. His mind is sharp but his body is failing him. It was distressing to see.

Morning all

Turn, great that the weather has taken a “turn” for the better 😉. I know how good it felt for me when we finally got some sun after it was raining pretty much all of July. No I don’t watch the tours. I just like to ride myself.

G’day, you sound a bit more up, it’s great to see. Congrats on the new size for the new pants. It must feel amazing to be down that size after where you came from. It sounds healthy to have a clean out of the stuff round the house, although I know it must have been hard to do. You said you enjoyed running, that reminded me of a German guy from work, he always pokes fun at me for my bike riding, then he said not to worry because he’s just envious. He said he used to run a lot for fitness when he was younger and when people asked if he enjoyed running he would tell them “Of course I don’t enjoy it, have you ever seen anyone running and smiling?”. That made me laugh.

Thin, Labour weekend here is near the end of October, near my birthday (Labour Day is I think 24th, my birthday is 29th). So I have plenty of time to get some kilometres in my legs and get ready for the ride

Cinque, I hope you have fun OP shop hunting, it sounds like fun.

My weekend went ok, I had a quieter day on Saturday, I got out for a short bike ride and then just hung round the house. The frisbee golf tournament was great, the weather was good and I had a decent round. I finished in 20th which has been about where I finished in all the tournaments, but I don’t play it for the results, I play for the fun and comradery. Most people who play are like me, doing it for fun and we all have a good chat and laugh as we play and then congratulate and commiserate with each other over every excellent or awful shot.

Only downside was I ended up eating a filled roll, savouries and two Moro bars walking around the 36 holes because that was the only food the golf club had available, but at least I got in 15,000 steps that should help offset it. Having a fast day today before my weigh in tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone

Hello everyone,

I had a wonderful day opshopping with Ms8, and I am just about recovered 😀
    I had lined up three opshops that were open on Sunday and had good toy sections. She found nothing in the first one, a pretty pink Chinese style top in the second one (as we were walking t the toy section), and a well kept set of Elsa and Anna Barbie-sized dolls and a working doodle slate ( https://images-fe.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81W7cZ36moL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg) in the final one. She was very pleased and also gave the Anna doll to her little sister, so that was nice too.

I have found some nice op shop clothes for myself lately too: linen trousers, silk dress, skirt and tops. My biggest 5:2 continuing surprise is size 14 being too big for me. I still get so much pleasure from that.
    I am fitting into nearly all my clothes. My waist is still at 78cms in the mornings, I want it down at 72.

Eating is going well. My brain is working hard to make sure I have my designated meal and then stop eating until the next meal.

Thin, how hard to see that old boyfriend with so many health problems. I hope some of the new treatments they have for Parkinson’s might make a difference.

Neil, hooray for some lovely days. Same here (sun coming through the window as I write). Haha the running joke. Poking fun can be a wonderful way to make people feel part of the group, or it can be bullying. A fine line.
    Enjoy that training!

Best wishes to everyone

Cinque, great day at the op shops. Funny you mention that erasable doodle pad. I’d recalled the doodle pad as I popped into the boat to make us some tea leaving ex-bf and OH unable to communicate (due to former’s weakness of voice and latter’s deafness). I remember also the hairless head ones that we could dress with a beard, hair and moustache by dragging something with an external pen. Probably not allowed these days as might offend bald people (my OH is laughing).

Neil, as an ex-runner, I do laugh at the grim faces on joggers as they trudge along with their big frowns and bodies usually looking far too tense (fisted hands held in an elevated position). Can’t imagine why the work mate would poke fun at you for bike-riding, pointless.

Oh he doesn’t do it in a mean way, he’s one of the nicest guys you can hope to meet. He does it in a way that’s self deprecating. He uses it to point out that it’s much the opposite of the way he lives (vapes, eats lots of crap and doesn’t do much in the way of exercise)

Poop. I just read your post Cinque and wondered why you hadn’t responded to me, as you always do, and found that mine hadn’t actually transitioned from keyboard to site. I’ll look on the other computer – my work desktop – to see if by chance I saved it before I posted.
    Anyway, good to read about your lives….and particularly glad to read your post
    G’day, which sounded as if you are finally coming out of the deep hole that you found yourself in after losing your beloved husband. It happens just a step at a time… I think about you often.
    I’ll look for my post tomorrow – and if not write again. A quiet day tomorrow I’m hoping after a not very peaceful week.
    Have a good night all (or for you, Thin, a good day. you are 8 hours behind or so … I’ve just been told the time by a brother who just a few moments ago called from France.)

Good morning,

Neil, that is the lovely type of poking fun.

Thin, oh the joys of growing older. Poor Mr Thin and weak voiced friend. They could use a doodle pad.

Lindsay, you don’t know how close I was to a call out to you (and LJoyce) in yesterday’s post. I hope you can resurrect the post that didn’t get sent.

I’m crook this morning, because I was so presumptuous to think I could indulge in a little walk at Darebin Parklands yesterday. 5 minutes, flat ground, sit in the sun, golden butterfly, creek rushing along below, magpies and other birds making wonderful sounds. Too much apparently.
    Coffee has helped a bit through.

Cheers all

Cinque, what a beautiful description but I’m sorry that such a little effort has delivered those consequences. Yay for good coffee. Boo for ageing but let’s all do it the very best we can.

Lindsay, I was also thinking about you, CalifD and LJ yesterday and hoping all was OK with your respective OHs and LJ’s health.

It’s still sunny and warm here but there’s a definite chill in the early morning now and daylight ends at 9pm. I feel compelled to make the most of every moment.

So, I found my post from Monday. It will need an update, but I’ll do that at the end.

Hi all
    Just a quick check in. Mr L is in hospital awaiting surgery to reconstruct his vocal chord/neck muscle, damaged by the cancer surgery.

All is quite good here, despite the surgery. His voice had started to regress, because the muscle was pushing down on the vocal chord, so this hopefully will be the more permanent solution. Needless to say, I am anxious.

Gday, your last post did sound much more upbeat, for want of a better word, and that is good. It’s those small steps that put you on the path. It’s a cliche, but it is one step after another, until you learn to live with the passing of your beloved husband.

The books I’ve been reading from Dr Robert Lustig (one oldish, one quite new) are very interesting. He says it’s time to stop blaming the obese for having no control and being slothful, and place the blame firmly on decades of poor government health advice that’s seen people consuming far less fat and replacing it with highly refined carbohydrates that in effect act like a drug of addiction in pushing the hunger hormones. Another interesting point that I am sure we’ve all observed is that obesity is often associated with the lower socio-economic groups in our society, who shop for the cheapest foods ….ie, loaves of white bread, or even if they choose wholemeal, it’s still often processed to a point where all goodness is gone.

I understand that. Over lunch one day my SIL (a vegan, and very health conscious) commented that they bought their bread at the markets for a eyewatering $8.50 a loaf. Can you imagine a family on an average wage, with mortgage and a couple of kids, paying that for bread?

He blames Westernised, industrial food production for the spread of diabetes and obesity in developing countries. Sad isn’t it, when countries which have a relatively healthy diet trade it for western food, once they become a little more affluent (I’m thinking in particular of China). Cut out sugar and processed foods, and up the fibre we consume, is his short message.

Thin I was sorry to read about your friend. It is challenging to see people of our own age deteriorating.

Gosh Cinque – 8 already. Happy shopping.

Turn good to know you’ve survived NZ’s wild weather (and Neil too, of course). We used to housesit too (pre-dog) and loved it. We had one really good sit in Elsternwick, Melbourne that we went to a few times. An enchanting dog called Paddy – a cavoodle or some such cross breed – plus some chickens. He was adorable, and such fun. We’d take him to the local park where he’d immediately immerse himself in the mud. But, oddly, by the time we’d walked home, the muddy brown dog was almost white again.

On the dog front, news here is that we’ve mated our Rosy to a beautiful supreme champion setter from NSW, and are hoping soon to be proud puppy deliverers. Too early to tell if she’s pregnant yet, but we are hoping for the best. I was willing to postpone the mating until OH was over his surgeries, but he was insistent and I’m hoping it’s good for the spirits (although I remember what a lot of work it was). Our first litter, way back when, was 15 pups (although we lost 4 from the second mating), but my bitch had 13, and OH’s dog’s second litter was 11. A nice even 6 woulld do this time …. and as it was an artificial insemination, it’s more likely to be fewer than a natural.

On that note, I’ll check the patient information web again – I find it very hard not to be able to wait in the hospital while the op is being done, although it may take some hours.

good wishes all.

And a quick update…..OH is home from hospital, and though croaky and very very sore, is recovering and his voice already sounds stronger. Awful, that they performed the first part of the operation, then had to wake him up to make sounds and check the surgery was going to be effective, then back to sleep while they did the significant repair. He is, typically, in good spirits, but totally ignoring the doctor’s advice not to talk for 10 days, or just speak when he has to (I always say, fondly, of OH, ‘no thought left unvoiced’. I explained to the doctor how difficult it was for OH not to talk, and he’s amended his advice so Mr L is allowed to talk a little, softly.

Thin, thank you for the thoughts. I too hope LJ and Calif are okay. re bald people….my OH is as bald as a badger, and my son has shaved his head since he was 18, and started doing it for charity. One thing I’ll say about baldies is that they don’t age. One of my brothers has fabulous longish curly hair – but it is now white, and is aging, even though his skin is still unlined (relatively).

Neil, do you ever hear from our other bike riding south islander Jonny? He was doing so well – hope he still is.

Cinque, you describe a perfect afternoon …how hard, that it did you in as it did.

Anzac, how’s Mr A’s recovery? Making progress? Your holiday plans sound wonderful.

good night all.

Good morning,
    I have bounced back, I am glad to say, to my usual condition of dreadful health. So enjoying all the little things I can do today, even cleaning kitchen benches.

Thin, so true, and I’m also so keen to hear how Cali is going. Enjoy those long evenings, they do end up so short there once winter comes.

Lindsay, hooray that your post was to be found. Go Mr Lindsay!
    https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JaggedUnripeHarrier-max-1mb.gif
    Won’t he love to be able to talk more easily.

That info from Dr Lustig aligns with all the stuff I have been reading saying the damage coming from ultra processed food is more than can be explained by the nutrients (or not) in it.
    Those industrial processes of pulling it apart and then putting it together again with weird additives.
    All the big food industries are happy to add nutrients as we demand, but they keep tweaking things to make people keep buying and keep eating.

So true about bread! I mean, a good loaf is worth $8:50 but it is way out of most people’s reach.

So exciting to think of Rosy babies. (But omg I am glad I am a couple of 1000 ks away from the work it will take.) I hope she gives birth to 6 gorgeous champions.

Best wishes to everyone, I overate yesterday so back on the horse today (Merry, I want to hear from you too!)

xxx

Cinque, I hope you go beyond the scale and bounce much further into good health.

Lindsay, that sounds like complicated surgery. Our friend’s voice has no amplification and is barely more than a whisper. He wasn’t physically able to get down into the boat and sitting outside on the towpath made conversation very tricky. He didn’t show any signs of frustration and was constantly talking. Very different from my OH who’s a man of few words and doesn’t engage in idle chit chat.

We took a train ride along the stunning Cumbrian coast the other day and I was saying to OH how I wished humans had a system of voice projection that enabled only the recipient to hear what’s being said. Why are people so flipping LOUD? And BORING. Be quiet and soak up the view!

Hello all from cold, wet, windy Sydney

Spring sprung for a few days and we were even in short sleeves but today BOOM. Back to winter. Sigh

G’day, it was so lovely to read your post and hear that you are feeling a little better. As Lindsay said, one step at a time. Please keep posting when you feel up to it

It was lovely to hear from you also Lindsay and I’m sorry your OH had to go through another procedure. I really hope it helps his voice and I did chuckle at your ‘no thought left unvoiced’. Very exciting news about Rosy’s impending motherhood

I went to my uncles funeral in Canberra yesterday. The dear man passed away in his sleep at 100 years old. His widow (99) is amazing and even cooked a fruit cake for my Dad to bring home as she knows how much he loves it. I had a lovely chat to her and while I can see the sorrow in her eyes she is surrounded by her 4 children (two live in the same complex she does) so she will be ok. I ate way too much and all the wrong things so I am back on the horse today

I’m glad you had a wonderful day op shopping Cinque and how awesome that your clothes are fitting so well. I really want size 14 to be too big for me too but currently at size 18 so a long way to go I’m afraid

I was sorry to read about your ex-bf Thin, very sad indeed

Mr A is doing very well, with more good days than bad. He is currently cooking dinner (Tandori lamb cutlets, air-fryer potatoes and salad) so I really should go and help. Chat soon friends

Anzac, you couldn’t really give a much better report on Mr A’s recovery than his ability/willingness to eat Tandoori lamb. Thumbs up to that.

Tuesday morning here in Melbourne and sun battling it out with some light cloud.

Aren’t people so different in the amount they talk and the amount they like to listen.

Hoping Mr Lindsay is still recovering well from his op.

And that Mr Anzac is also recovering more and more.

Anzac, it sounds like your uncle had a good farewell, and hooray for your aunt, how wonderful to be making that fruit cake. I am so glad she has her children near her.

I have had some up and down days, but I am patting myself on the back for managing to ride through difficulties without needing to overeat.
    I am getting more and more like a bad day is still fine, in terms of intake, just tending to be higher in carbs and lower in serves of veggies. So still trying to make days deliciously frugal with lots of veg and good protein. But there is a nice sense that I am going in the right direction. I will keep at it.

Hoping that everyone is having some good wins and that good habits and getting settled in and the bad habits are getting their volume turned down.

Best wishes

Hello everyone

Today marks a landmark for the Anzac’s. In February this year Mr Anzac decided that he had to take on the enormous task of dismantling and rebuilding our huge retaining wall at the front of our property as it was cracking and could cause major issues. A mere few days later we received the dreadful cancer news. So 6 months almost to the day (we found out on the 3/3/22) we have been through such a rough road of heartbreak, terror, pain, two major operations and all of the roller-coaster emotions that go along with this journey. Today Mr Anzac is out the front starting back on dismantling the retaining wall; well enough to get on with it. How wonderful is our modern medicine? And the thankfulness I feel cannot be put into words

LJoyce, I hope you are ok and can come back and let us know how you are going soon

Betsy and Cali also, it has been such a long time

Cinque, pats on the back from me too and I always find your posts encouraging. I am having all sorts of mental issues getting back into my good habits. You would think an impending beach holiday would be enough motivation so I am really trying to keep those thoughts at the front of my mind as me in a cozzie at this size is not something I want to flaunt AT ALL

Thin I have seen pictures of the Cumbrian coast and it is apparently one of the most scenic places in England. I’m sure it was lovely. How is the weather over there? Still warm?

I have been given a final date for my job – 9 December this year (the day before my birthday!). I have to start looking and/or consider the permanent job they are offering me. More on that later, I have a meeting starting soon so must run

A huge hi to everyone I haven’t mentioned. You are always in my thoughts G’day

Good morning,
    Anzac, what a wonderful landmark. What a six months! Hooray for Mr Anzac working on that retaining wall.
    (I hope he didn’t overdo it).

I’ve been thinking about your frustration that you haven’t been able to get back into your good habits, and knowing you will be fatter than you wanted to be on your holiday.

I just wanted to say that I hope you can feel so proud of the body that got you through these last 6 months. A body that managed your work with all its stress, that supported Mr Anzac with everything you could do. A body that did its best for you every minute, every hour, every day.

That is some wonderful body! It is a body that deserves appreciation and a great holiday. I think you need to find some really comfy (and gorgeous) bathers and flaunt that wonderful body with pride.

Also best wishes for working out things on the job front.

I have had a couple of good health days on Tuesday and Wednesday and got so much done. Woot! Then yesterday was a big day and I have got payback today so I am going to rest and hopefully recover. But in a cleaner tidier house, hooray!

Best wishes everyone

Morning all

Well it’s been a pretty rough few days, The weather turned nasty over the weekend, Saturday was really windy, Sunday was cold and wet, Monday night we had snow, and Tuesday morning the hill was a graveyard of cars that had come to grief trying to drive through the snow. The weather has improved the last couple of days, but it has been very cold.

It’s also been busy at work because we have some staff away on leave and others isolating because of Covid, so it’s been pretty stressful. On top of that the armed offenders closed off our street on Monday afternoon and raided a house in the leg-in section right behind our house, the police were sheltering beside our garage, calling over a megaphone for the occupants to come out and surrender because the house was surrounded.

As you can probably guess, exercise and healthy eating weren’t top priority for me this week, and as a result my weight popped up 1 kilo on my weekly weigh in. 🙁

Hi everyone,

Neil, I do hope you are having a good weekend after that difficult week. And had time to think about what your body really needs, and that you have been able to treat it beautifully.

I went to Bendigo on Friday to meet up with my sisters. My dear sister with stage four cancer is going extremely well, but it is a hard road.

I looked after myself pretty well while recovering yesterday but did eat extra, so back on the horse today.

I’m really hoping that lots of you might find time to write, I am wondering how everyone is going.
    Intesha are you still in the UK? What a time to be there, and for you too, Thin.
    Merry how are you going?
    Cali how is life and how is Mr Cali? I saw lots of parrots while I was driving through Central Victoria (mostly sulphur-crested cockies and crimson rosellas), and thought of you each time.
    LJoyce, missing you so much, are you okay?
    Gday, how are you going, are you managing any study yet?
    Lindsay, best wishes to the whole family (including pregnant Rosy).
    CountryGal, hoping you are still reading, best wishes

and apologies people I haven’t mentioned, I will remember you while I am making my coffee and feel dreadful I didn’t have you on my list (but my brain is getting worse and worse at managing lists).

I am having my extra frugal day. NQ5:2, but as close to 800cal as I can manage.

I might not be up to it, but if I am I will make beancurd rolls today. Third try. First two tries were promising, quite delicious, but not anywhere near perfected yet. I can soak stuff for them, while I am soaking them for my miso soup (shiitake, wood fungus, white fundus, seaweed!) (yum!) 😀

I hope you have something nice to do today.

Best wishes

Morning all

I had a decent weekend, the weather was good on Saturday so I got a couple of loads of garden mix for the community gardens, mowed the lawn there, and got a bit of work done at the frisbee golf course. Sunday the weather turned nasty, so my wife and I did a bit of garden shopping, getting things ready for planting when the weather is better.

My eating was a lot better than last weekend in terms of the amount eaten, I did make pizza last night though. I only ate 3 slices for dinner so it wasn’t too bad. My boys on the other hand managed to eat 18 slices of pizza between them (I made three large pizzas thinking they boys could take leftovers for lunch but they finished it all!). I have no idea where they put it all because they’re both slim.

Cinque, what are the beancurd rolls, is it a tofu dish?

I hope everyone else has had a decent weekend, after a bit of activity on the thread it’s gone a bit quiet again recently. But I wish everyone a great day today.

Goodmorning Neil,
    What a great weekend.
    Sending best wishes to Mrs Neil, I do hope her recovery is continuing well.
    Haha those boys, hollow legs!

I didn’t manage my beanrcurd rolls yesterday, but hopefully today is the day. They use the sheets of beancurd skin to wrap up a filling. https://www.seriouseats.com/chinese-bean-curd-rolls-pork-dim-sum-recipe Very tasty and easy too.

Sending good wishes to everyone

Hello everyone

Gosh, very quiet forum lately! I hope everyone is ok

I’m glad your trip to Bendigo went well Cinque but I am so sad for your poor sister with stage 4 cancer. That would be a hard hard road for sure

Neil, your boys have hollow legs indeed! 18 slices of pizza between them wow. Glad you had a good weekend with good weather

Our weather was very nice for a few days but a cold change has hit now. We should be back to spring weather again on the weekend

I too am back on the horse Cinque, but while you fall off for one day occasionally, my tumbles are frequent and long! But we can’t give up. I did extra walking during the dog walk today and 25 minutes on the exercise bike before lunch. It all helps

I hope some more friends can post soon….

Take care everyone

Oops Anzac. thank you for the reminder. It has been quiet lately, and so many of our friends are MIA. Hoping you are all okay.
    Glad to hear your OH is making progress, and tackling a project. I hope he doesn’t overdo it, but there is such satisfaction in getting back to doing the things you want to do.
    Cinque, I am so sorry about your sister. It must take its toll not only on her, but on the family. Best wishes for a successful treatment for her.
    Neil, 18 slices of pizza sounds about right for growing boys. I remember when my DS was young – he’d hardly eat for days, then couldn’t eat enough. It was nothing for him to demolish a loaf of bread. Yet he remained so slim – he had that Ghandi quality of being able to suck his stomach in to reach his back. He’s still slim, but it’s hard work and involves half marathons and daily runs. Ditto my DD ….she’s a swimmer, even in winter. Out she goes at 5 am and swims under a trainer. Also slim. Unlike their mother sigh. I have dropped the ball well and truly, though trying to get back on the horse, if you’ll pardon those gloriously mixed metaphors. I am trying to control my insulin, in the hope that my weight drops accordingly. That’s what I took from Robert Lustig’s books. Most ‘experts’ suggest we control our weight and the your blood sugar/insulin will follow. He says control the insulin first. So, reduced carbohydrates, and a lot of fibre, and almost no sugar. Cinque I think you follow that mantra too?
    And Cinque, I liked so much what you said to Anzac. Our bodies have stood us in good stead during these troubling times with our partners’ health. Anzac, the horse is still tethered, and we’ll climb back on when we aren’t distracted by those big worries.
    And…my OH is doing okay. His voice is croaky, but stronger, and I am sure it will continue to improve. My goodness though he is slim. Never fat, but could tend to a bit of a tum from time to time. No more though.
    No more news friends – as OH says, our lives revolve around doctors and dogshows. This will be Rosy’s last weekend, assuming she’s pregnant. I must say I’m looking forward to the break.
    Oh, I do have a funny story. DD got home from work last night (television producer) at aroud 8, to find her OH asleep, the 6 year old in bed but awake, and the 9 year old sitting up at the kitchen bench, reading the ‘handy hints’ section from Lady Flo Bjelke Petersen’s cookbook. As DD said, if you need to crumb a cuttlefish, Miss O is your girl.

Hello,
    My beancurd rolls were the best yet (but still mostly served to give me ideas of how I will change them next time).

Thanks re messages about my sister. We’ve just been zooming so that was good.

Anzac, the tumbles don’t stop but I hope you are like me, in that the keeping on with the little changes towards healthier living gradually allows them to become ingrained habits. I’m realising more and more that the concentrated losing weight stuff is in a completely different category (for me at least) to the changes I am making to being able to maintain my weight. And the better I am at maintaining my weight as my background habit, the more any little weight loss is effective and long lasting.

(Just touching wood and whistling now).

What a lovely catch up Lindsay, all power to Mr Lindsay being able to speak more and more strongly.
    Good luck to Rosy at her last show before maternity leave.

Good luck getting back on the horse. ha, yes, we really don’t need much weight around our middles.
    I have got back to under the recommended 80cm (in the morning at least) but I would like to lose more of my remnant tum. Good luck to you doing that too.

Cutting out (added) sugar was such a good thing for me and not as hard as you would think because I was having such horrible poisoned/hungover symptoms. The more I read the more I wish I had done it thirty years earlier! And now I have fairly successfully (touching wood and whistling like mad again) cut out the ultra processed foods. So Mr Lustig might approve. No added sugar, lots of veg, small serves of grains and other high carb foods, and sticking to them being as whole and complex as possible.
    That’s the ‘background good habits’ I was talking about.

I seem to be hungry for more meat/fish now I am having less carbs.
    I laugh at myself for generally having meat and three veg for my main meal, as that is what I grew up with and discarded arrogantly to go the modern way with vegetarian food and world cuisines. (Although I must say my ‘vegetarian food and world cuisines’ certainly makes my meat and three veg so delicious!)

Ooh let me know when little Ms9 has her cooking show!

Best wishes to everyone

Afternoon everyone

Weigh in yesterday was down 800g from the previous week’s 1kg gain, so better than nothing, but I’d like to get it moving down week after week. The weather has been better so I went out for a decent ride before work this morning. It’s only my second ride in September because of the dodgy weather.

Cinque, I’ve never seen bean curd wraps over here I assume they’re similar to the rice paper wrappers you can get?

Lindsay, looking forward to photos of the new puppies when they arrive, working on keeping the sugar/starchy stuff that spikes the insulin is my constant struggle. Hopefully it’s be easier now that we’re moving into warmer spring/summer seasons where I can distract myself with gardening rather than getting home, lighting the fire, and grabbing something to snack on.

Anzac, we’re the opposite of you, we had our cold snap including snow and hail last week, now the weather seems to be getting better. We hit mid teens the last couple of days, so that makes a nice change. I need to try and invest in an exercise bike or a stand I can clip my bike into so I can still exercise while the weather is poor.

Well, I’m looking forward to the weekend with lots of gardening planned for Saturday (it’s definitely getting to be that time of the year) and a frisbee golf tournament on Sunday as well. It should be a good one.

Have a great one everyone.

Hi everyone from a gorgeous sunny Sydney.

I have had a good week too Neil and also down 800g. I hope your week continued to go well

Mr Anzac booked a concert to see the Hoodoo Goorus and Dandy Warholes 2 years ago and of course it was delayed due to Covid. They finally played last Thursday and he insisted he was ok to go along with two mates. I really worried about him but he wisely did not eat a thing after lunch and was perfectly fine. He had a great time and I could really see that doing something so normal really lifted his confidence and spirits

I changed my LinkedIn profile to ‘looking’ and boy was I avalanched by recruiters! I’m glad to see that there is SO much work out there but I just don’t want to have to upheave and move again. I thought long and hard about a permanent role at the bank I’m with now and my gut won over as it was screaming ‘DON”T YOU DARE THINK ABOUT IT” to my sensible head. Honestly the thought of performance reviews and restrictions about when and how many holidays to take blah blah makes me feel ill. Plus the very very very reduced $$$. I’ll be fine once I find something and settle in

I do hope everyone is ok, we seem to be fizzling out and I really hope that doesn’t happen. But it is what it is and if it does end soon can I just say THANK YOU to you all for your support and love over the years.

Anzac
    xxx

Hi Anzac!

So glad to hear you’re doing well and diwn 800gm and Mr Anzac got to go out.

It was a glorious day here south of Sydney too!

Neil – I hope you’re going well. We went to a less crowded area of the UCI Cycling International Road Race Championships in Wollongong today. Elite Women’s and Men’s time trials . There are some New Zealand riders here. Quite amazing to see such an extraordinary annual International Championship event in a small City like Wollongong.

I’m still very haphazard with my eating and occasional fasting day.

I’ve been focussing on upping my steps each day. When Covid started I had issues with my right knee , then my injured my left ankle, then left knee, so was not very mobile for a few months and set off a chain of stuff. Now I’m getting back into getting my body back on track, but my weight us still up.

Tooo late at night so goodnight all. I do hope you’re all doing well.

Merry

Hello everyone,

Neil, well done undoing so much of the damage of the week before.

This is what the bean curd skins look like: https://c.recipeland.com/uploads/image/image/86/fit640_bean-curd-sheets.jpg Each brand seems slightly different: thicker, oiled to stay pliable, frozen instead of dried. I like the thicker dried ones, they just need a soak and they are wonderful.

I hope you were able to do some great gardening and frisbee golf.

Anzac, yes, we seem to be fizzing out, I will keep fizzing while I can.

I like your gut! From this distance, the bank has not been a very healthy workplace. I know you work in a high pressured sector but I do hope you can find something that is better for you.

Cheers for Mr Anzac enjoying the concert.

Merry lovely to see your post. It is hard to post here when things are haphazard, I find it too. (And my touch wood and whistle didn’t work, I’ve had a weird, haphazard week, hopefully back on track now.)
    Good luck with the activity you have been able to do, may it continue and hopefully increase.

Best wishes to everyone else. Thin, are you okay?
    x

Morning all

Anzac, awesome that you OH got out for some much needed R&R, It sounds like you’re going to be in need of R&R yourself if you’re swamped with job offers. I must say that I remember the Hoodoo Gurus and Dandy Warhols but I had no idea they were still touring.

Merry, Yeah wherever there are roads there will be cycling competitions 😉 There’s a major event in NZ each year called the “tour of Southland” There’s only around 100,000 people in the whole province 57,000 of which is in the main city of Invercargill, but it still stages a large international cycling race every year. It must be hard not being able to do the exercise you want to do. I know if I go any extended period without getting out for a ride I get a bit stir crazy. Hopefully your leg issues sort themselves out soon

Cinque, haphazard has been my eating patterns for a while now, really have to knuckle down and

I got out for a good ride on Saturday, 62km down to the end of the Otago Peninsula and back again, it was beautiful weather and I took a couple of photos, the first one looking at Tairoa Head where I rode to, the other looking across from Tairoa Head to Aramoana.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/43493775@N06/52368112560/in/album-72177720302214673/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/43493775@N06/52366747832/in/album-72177720302214673/
    The weather was still good when I got back so I did a bit of gardening then had dinner/cards with some friends in the evening. Sunday I had a frisbee golf tournament all day so this morning I’m at work for a rest. Only a couple of weeks to go now until I get a holiday which I’m really looking forward to.

Well I hope everyone else who hasn’t checked in for a while is ok, and have a great week everyone

Morning all. I won’t fizz out Anzac and Cinque. This forum and the friends I’ve made through it mean too much to me.

Lovely sunny day, and we are taking the little girls to Roma Street Parkland. I am sitting at my laptop at the breakfast table, watching them play away in the courtyard, totally absorbed. A little bird (we call them mickies …mynas, I think they are) is picking aphids off my beautifully flowering and fruiting citrus. OH is dosing in the chair. I have a big pot of home-made beans on the stove. Onion and garlic, cumin and paprika, salt and a little brown sugar, tinned tomatoes and two tins of beans, and a tin of lentils for good measure. Rosy dozing on her bed in the sunshine. It feels so peaceful.

I guess at some point I need to talk about weight, given that’s the central theme of our forum. I am struggling. Doing the best I can, most days, which actually isn’t very good at all. I have put on around half of the 12 or 13 kilos I lost last year ….I’m not back up to my original weight, thank heavens, but all the clothes I had taken in are a little squeezy, to say the least. My lovely new leather jacket stayed in the cupboard over winter. I could fit it, but didn’t want to strain any seams. I’ve been reading a lot about weight gain and trying to manage it more ‘normally’ for want of a better word. The common thread is that the worldwide obesity problem started when governments started interfering in food by subsidising crops like corn and soy, and then looking for ways to encourage people to eat them. Enter processed foods, bad advice like limiting supposedly high-cholestrol food like eggs, and recommending low-fat foods, and that was the start of it all.

So, I am working on my insulin and glucose, by increasing fibre, severely limiting processed foods, wheat, (bread being both processed and wheat mostly), potatoes and rice, and limiting my GI load (so only smallish serves of my bean dish). No strictly 5:2, but not far from it. It’s a slow process, but I’m seeing some very minor outcomes.

Merry great to read your post. Let’s get back on the horse together. Another of the take-outs from these books I’ve been reading is that a half an hour brisk walk each day is very beneficial for insulin excess. As Lustig says, control the insulin, control the weight.

Anzac, how wonderful your OH could do something he so wanted to do with no ill-effects. Bohemian Like You is one of my DW favourites – first up on my walking compilation.

Neil, you’ve done a cracking job this week – good work. Now the weather is starting to warm up, exercise and lighter eating combine to help both in weight loss and those lovely feelings of wellbeing that follow.

OK my little girls are stirring, as is OH. Off to the park for us. Have a wonderful day all

Lindsay, yes, I think I remember reading there were two different schools of thought battling it out in the ’60s between low fat and low sugar. Low fat won out and food manufacturing companies compensated for the loss of flavour by putting tons of sugar in their products instead.

I’m enjoying the nicer weather over here, I’ve been taking my bike in to work and had a couple of leisure rides and I’ve managed to rack up around 180km in the last 8 days. It really helps lift my mood.

I watched the Queen’s funeral last night, and while I’m not a royalist I really loved the sentiment of the wreath that Charles organised to go on her coffin. There was a selection of her favourite flowers taken from the gardens of her various residences in red, white and gold to represent her royal standard, rosemary for remembrance, oak to symbolise the strength of love, and myrtle to represent a happy marriage. Apparently the myrtle was taken off the same plant that was used to make her wedding bouquet.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Cinque and Anzac, thank you so much for asking about me, I’m fine thank you. I didn’t take any devices to the Lake District for our little excursion, got out of the habit of posting on the forum and hadn’t realised it had been that long. It was so kind of you to send me a private note Anzac. I’d been meaning to contact LJ for ages so your note prompted me to do that. I’m happy to report that she’s also fine. More soon.

Hello everyone. I’m sorry if I have caused you to worry (an email from Thin alerted me to this). I should have known better as I worry when others don’t post for a while.

My life got so very busy, to the point where I wasn’t coping with my usual routines and so many things, including reading and posting here, just didn’t happen. The main reason for the busyness has been the sale contract for my aunt’s house and the mad panic that then ensued to sort through the contents and find appropriate homes for things. My cousin who had been trying to do it himself, suddenly admitted defeat and asked for help. (I wish he’d asked sooner.) It is taking such a long time and it’s been quite exhausting. We need to be finished by the end of this month. I wish I could then have a rest, but the first fortnight of October is school holidays, which means babysitting. I’m expecting to collapse into a comatose heap after that!

My diet has been reasonably good – probably because I have no time for bored snacking. My health has been mostly ok. But after not having had migraines for years, I’ve had a string of them in the last month – my body telling me I’m overdoing it I guess.

I do expect life to return to a more sedate pace eventually and will be a better online friend then.

I hope life is treating you all well. Take care.

Evening all.

How good to read your post LJ. Sorry your life is so hecctic, and doesn’t look like getting easier any time soon.

Thin, also good to hear from you – I had assumed you were out of touch in the Lake District ….was it beautiful? Did you love it?

We took the little girls to the Roma Street Parkland today (all set to go yesterday, when OH had a wilt) and had a really delightful day. Such a beautiful park, with lots of water dragons (they have formed a colony of their own special genes ….I’d call it inbreeding, but I’ve not seen that written anywhere) zipping around among all the spring flowers.

Neil, it was as you say the two schools of thought – but the US govt got very involved in dietary advice, to prop up the agriculture industry, and did untold damage. Even today my kids order low-fat milk, and no matter all the info I give them, won’t break the habit (not for the little ones, of course).

Off on friday to have Rosy’s ultrasound – I’ll be highly surprised if she’s not pregnant. So many hormones running wild (so very very affectionate..more tan usual even) and the hunger dragon has been well and truly unleashed. I’ve had a request from NZ for a pup, which was a surprise. I have a two page questionnaire for prospective puppy buyers – I couldn’t let them go unless I know they are going to good homes .

I’ve found the passing of the Queen very sad …I’m a republican at heart but one who loves the Royals. Contradictory, I know. I think poor Charles looks shell-shocked. And who can wonder. To have to grieve a parent so publically.

In other news ….I’ve just come back from a session at my uni, with the plan to return to part-time work. We’ll see. I did love my job – Now I just need to find if I have moved on in the two and a half years since on campus work ended with Covid.

have a good night, all.

Hello all,

Behind on posts again so have just skimmed through this page. I notice LJoyce’s absence – I do hope everything is okay.

Well it never rains but it pours doesn’t it, literally in my case. 2 weeks ago we had a severe freak storm – horrendous winds, hail and huge rainfall – 21mm rain in 20 mins. The hail was so heavy and thick, the ground was completely covered and it literally looked like heavy snow had fallen. The damage is unbelievable. Lucky my house is okay but the garden has been completely flattened, everything outside such as plastic pot plants, garden ornaments, roof of the garden shed etc, everything has holes from the hail, the shade over the vegie patch completely torn to shreds and the large shed completely flooded – ankle deep water throughout the whole shed. Took me about 4 days to clean up the shed and dry it out and then the following day another freak rain storm and it was flooded again. I then spent another 2 days cleaning out the shed again plus 3 days cleaning the front yard. I haven’t had time to get to cleaning the back yard.

Our rental property was caught in the eye of the storm and suffered significant damage. Flooding inside the house – carpets have since been ripped up as they couldn’t be saved, electrical damage, water in the ceiling cavity and ceiling damage. The large back verandah which spans the entire length of the house is now a pile of twisted metal – I’m still gobsmacked at how the large c channel beams have been twisted and bent and large bolts pulled out of the metal or completely sheared off. The insurance assessor thinks the storm created a mini tornado which went under the verandah and caused the damage and I tend to agree, it couldn’t have been caused by rain or hail or even the high winds.

Surprisingly I am coping okay. The serotonin medication I am taking has finally kicked in and I am feeling better and slowing working through everything. My psychologist has also prescribed a melatonin medication as my sleep is still not good and struggling to get to sleep every night.

I’m no longer stressing about everything or feeling so overwhelmed. Whatever is outside of my control, such as processing the will, the insurance claims etc, I no longer worry about. For example, I pay the lawyer to sort through the will stuff so it’s his job to sort things and deal with any stresses not mine. Just as I pay the insurance company to sort the damage and the claims so it is not for me to worry about. All of these things will get sorted in their own time and no amount of worrying from me will speed things up or change the processes. Seeing a psychologist has been the best thing I have done in helping me to move forward since Mr GDay’s passing. Its funny because I never used to worry about things that were out of my control, I didn’t stress over things and I was always the ‘glass half full’ kind of person, its only been since I lost Mr GDay that I’ve been so negative and stressed.

I’m making sure I’m taking time for some self care, just simple things like jigsaw puzzles, teaching myself to knit and needlework. I’m also back into reading most nights. Still haven’t got my passion back for cooking yet and I’m exercising only a few times a week so I certainly need to focus on increasing exercise.

Apologies that my posts have been so ‘self focused’ and ‘self absorbed’ but I am feeling like I’m slowly turning the corner. It’s been challenging to say the least in finding my new ‘normal’ and working out new routines for everyday things. I’m hoping that the sleep medication will kick in soon and allow me to get back to my old sleep routine of a good solid 8 – 9 hours each night as I’m feeling so drained every morning on such little sleep.

So sad about the Queens passing but also happy that Charles is now King after all these years of patiently waiting. Well, its time to make a cup of tea and settle into bed for some reading. I do hope everyone is well and life is treating you kindly. Take care all xx

Hello everyone

How wonderful to hear from you G’day, thanks for posting and letting us know you are doing a little better. Please please don’t apologise for how you post; you have been and are going through the worst thing that can happen and we are all hear to listen and hopefully help just a little. I hope the melatonin medication kicks in soon so you can get some better sleep

So glad to hear from you both Thin and LJ as I was very worried – as I’m sure we all were. I do understand how time can fly by when you are so busy or away

Hello Merry, lovely to hear from you too. I hope those pesky injuries are well and truly on the mend

I can’t wait to see a picture of the new puppies when the arrive Lindsay. I too am so very sad about the Queen’s passing. I have always liked the Royal family as I love history and tradition. I hope King Charles can do even half as good a job

Glad the weather is better Neil, it was here for a while but we have another big wet coming through. It’s a public holiday today to mourn the Queen but I’m working as I got avalanched with a massive task that the people that SHOULD be doing simply don’t have the skills and they left it way too late to tell me I have to do it. I insisted on getting paid for today though as it really isn’t fair. I’m so mad I could pick up and leave right now but I wont of course. A contractor’s best tool is his/her reputation to I will grit my teeth and try and get it done. Bah

Take care everyone and I’m so glad the forum seems to be pinging again…yay!

Evening all,

Summer has come to an end but the autumn colours are starting to appear and it’s still fairly warm so we’re making the most of every day – or were until today when it rained for the first time in ages.

Thank you Lindsay. The four of us had such fun at the cottage in the Lake District. We stayed in a little-known village in the southern lakes and the scenery was stunning. We’d got as far north in the boat as the Lancaster canal reaches (Tewitfield) prior to meeting the others and had already taken several bus and train trips to explore Cumbria. We really enjoyed Morecambe Bay, Lancashire.

We’d left our devices behind and found out about ER’s worsening health at the pub. The mood here has been sombre since her passing, but there’s also intense gratitude for a long and exemplary life of service. Britons gave a much-loved queen a spectacular send-off like only they know how. Transition to the new monarch was seamless, carried out with such dignity, all the while grieving under intense public scrutiny. I’ve been totally swept up with the historical magnitude of it all and will never again feel the need to qualify my comments with, “I’m not a royalist but…..”. So proud.

Anzac, grrr for that job of yours and well done for demanding pay on the holiday. You will have your pick of jobs soon and be able to make all sorts of demands. How is Mr A getting on with his projects? What a turnaround for you two over the past six months.

Neil, I’ve read that your weight is going up a bit, down a bit. Have you reached the double figures yet? Apologies if you’ve already said because I haven’t read all the posts.

LJ, you poor thing. All that babysitting and now the house clearing. You are a godsend to your rellies.

Time for bed and I haven’t got to everyone. Cinque, how are you going? I think of you whenever I step into an op shop which is often. Although they don’t know what I mean when I call them that here. I spend about three minutes in every one because I’m only looking for size 10 wildly coloured pants and WASGIJs.

Still under 60kg. Just about hanging on with one FD per week but two would be better.

Morning all

Wow, I stay quiet for a couple of days and the chat goes nuts.

Thin, My weight was going down, but when I gave up on keto it bounced back up and has been see-sawing between 101 and 104 kg, my weigh in was back up from my previous week. Keto was working a bit but I couldn’t deal with how restrictive it was with fruit and vegetables.

Anzac, that sucks re the last minute work you needed to do, mine was pretty hectic this week, hence why I’ve been a bit quiet the last few days, but it’s better today. Next week should be better because my workmate who is off on holiday this week will be back so we’ll have a full compliment.

Gday, great to see you posting again, it definitely seems like your serotonin medication is working because there has been a marked difference in the tone of your posts from the last couple of times and a few weeks ago. Knitting is a great stress reliever. I don’t do it but my sister and friend are both avid knitters. My friend is part of a knitting group that meet every week for a coffee, chat and plenty of knitting.

Lindsay, good luck for your proposed return to work, I’m the same as you, I’m definitely not a royalist but the passing of the queen was a sad moment, I was pissed off at one of the politicians over here who when others in parliament were giving tributes to the queen, took the moment to say she “did very little and said even less” So disrespectful.

Ljoyce, good to hear from you again, unlike with you school holidays are a time to for me to recharge. We’re heading away for a week in the Twizel/Tekapo/Mount Cook area so it should be a great time to put work behind me for a while and enjoy the beautiful mountains and lakes of the area.

I’m continuing my riding. Yesterday was world car free day and it was an eventful sort of day. I rode down to the bottom of our hill, realised that I wasn’t wearing my helmet so I had to ride back up the hill to get it, came back down, then further along my ride I was coming down a hill doing around 50kph and a car pulled out right in front of me without looking or indicating. I slammed on my brakes, fishtailed down the hill and almost ended up eating his rear bumper. I somehow managed to stay on and the guy stuck his hand out the window to apologise, but I would have preferred if he had looked before pulling out instead. It was a beautiful morning for a ride though, so I took the long way round the beaches and harbour to work and then got a free coffee and coffee cup in the octagon from the event organisers. But how ironic would it have been to be wiped out by a car on world car free day?

Well this weekend is a long weekend as Monday is our national memorial day for the Queen so hopefully we get good weather so we can get some gardening done and maybe I can get out for a decent ride too.

Have a good one everyone

Sunday FD and my weight is the lowest it’s been on a FD for a couple of months. I’m only talking gms not kgs but it’s uplifting for me. Chicken jalfrezi for dinner (nine hours away). Steaming hot coffee in the meantime. We now have the diesel stove running as the last two nights have been chilly. Beautiful sunshine and a healthy herd of cows grazing opposite and we’re making the most of autumn.

Neil, world car free day? Someone’s dreaming. Well, we’re doing our bit. OH and I haven’t had a car for three years now. We have walked at least twice the distance we’ve cruised on the canals.

Have a lovely day all.

Just writing a quick hello, I will do a proper catch up soon. It is SO good to hear from everyone!

I have just been too busy. School holidays and a few medical appointments thrown in means I have had way too much going on, and inbetween I have just had to rest.
    And today little Miss5 has become little Miss6 and we are going for our opshop spree. Great fun but tiring, and a bit stressful since you never know if they will find anything good. But we are going to a NEW opshop that only opened recently. I do hope it is good.

Chat soon!

A really quick hello from me also as work is crazy again. All good here, weight slowly going down as I seem to have found my mojo and my ever-patient horse is letting me stay on

Lovely to hear from everyone

And a quick one from me too.
    Happy op shopping Cinque, and happy birthday miss 6.
    Anzac, good to know you’re back on board. Me too.
    It’s a bumpy old ride isn’t it?

Back a bit later….. off to the vet.

A quick hello from me too, finally out of semi-hibernation and back on the road again. Beautiful, lovely warm sunny day today and should be tomorrow too but colder weather on it’s way again, snow forecast for some down south….stroll on summer I say!

Weight is back down to my maintenance figure but not losing anymore, ok with that, funny how my body is changing shape though, drastically cut down on sugar and completely omitted grains form my diet, makes a big difference to how I feel too.

Will catch up again soon, Turn

Back again.
    I’m with you Turn – so over winter (I know, I live in Brisbane …but we’ve had a cold rainy winter, and just as Spring springs, it goes again.)
    I’m sitting editing another phd with my exterior office door open, and I’m getting so chilly I need to shut up shop and add another jumper.
    I agree about the grains and sugar. I’d started to get arthritis in my fingers but now I’ve restricted the carbs significantly, my hands don’t feel as puffy.
    Dropped 1.1 this week, so that’s a good start.
    The news from the vet is all good….my lovely girl is definitely pregnant with 6 or 7 pups, give or take one or two (they can move around, or hide behind each other). I’m thinking maybe more, because she’s really starting to fill out, although she’s just moved into the second half of the pregnancy. Very excited, and a bit nervous too.
    We are dog sitting at the moment – dd and family are on holiday, and with everything else to do, she didn’t book the kennel in time. I don’t mind – he’s a lovely dog, although so very busy, unlike my girl. Hard though to watch Rosy’s food intake, when the little vacuum cleaner on 4 legs is around, hoovering up everything as soon as it goes down.
    Glad you survived world car free day Neil – too too terrible to be hit by a car.
    Thin we did without a car all the years we lived in China and Vietnam – although of course we had taxis that we tended to jump into when it got too hot/cold/far away. I also loved the Vietnamese buses ….our local barely stopped. The conductor, often female, would reach out and grab us by the arm and haul us on board. we survived – but in retrospect, I wonder how, sometimes.

Now I wonder how all our missing friends are getting on.
    LJ, life any easier for you?
    Intesha, still having a wonderful time in the UK?
    Calif. hope you are okay.
    Gday it has been good to read your recent posts, and hearing a different tone in your voice, and knowing you are doing a little better. Agree 100% with Neil – write whatever you feel, knowing your friends here on the forum are always keen to hear how you are getting on.

ok, off to cook dinner. Have a good night all.

Morning all

Continuing my rollercoaster, my weight was down half a kilo this week. My fitness is definitely back up though. I did a 60km ride out to Aramoana over the weekend and still felt pretty fresh by the end of it. I’ve canned my idea to do the round the mountains ride at labour weekend because money is a bit tight to be able to afford the boat ride round to the start of it or the tent I’d need to get for the night that I have to camp. But I settled on riding the new Coronet Peak loop track which looks like a great challenge. 50kms of climbing and downhills. I’ll also ride the sections of the Roxburgh Gorge trail that I haven’t done. I can’t afford the jet boat transfer so I’ll ride in and out to the jetty at the beginning, then in and out to the jetty at the other end.

Lindsay, I’ll bet you’re excited about the puppies, when are they due to arrive?

Turn, We’re not due for snow here but it’s supposed to get pretty cold in the weekend, dropping from the 17-18 degrees we’ve had the last few days down to 10 degrees on Saturday 🙁 Congrats on hitting your maintenance weight.

Thin, car free day was just a day that 2000 cities round the world were encouraging people to try alternative means of transport, I don’t think anyone was really expecting zero cars 😉 You know I’m envious or that lifestyle, perhaps something we can look into once the kids have left home in a few years. Not canals of course, but perhaps spend a while touring the country in a campervan.

well Have a great one everyone, I always enjoy reading what everyone is up to.

I started answering all the posts, wondering why there’d been such a rush overnight, when I realised I’d gone back to an old page. Duh.

Neil, fitness is so important – says someone who doesn’t have enough. I need to learn to run again – I herniated a disc a few years ago, and have been super cautious since. Amazing how quickly fitness goes. But…I want to show Rosy to her full capacity, and running around a ring is part of that (I often use a handler for the city shows). So, everyone, tips please on how to get my running legs on.

Rosy’s pups are due 24th October. I’ve had a lot of enquiries, but whether that translates to sales is another thing. I have a very long questionnaire that I ask people to complete before I am willing to let a pup go. Amazing the detail people are willing to share, though, if they really want a pup. One potential buyer (in answer to a question about size of yard and fencing) even told me the type, height, and colour of her fence).

Neil I think probably the best holiday I’ve ever had (and believe me when I say I’ve had a few) was in a campervan we picked up in Auckland and drove all over the north island. A brother and sil also hired a van, and w used to park each night with the sliding doors opposite each other, pull down the tables, and eat our dinner (in our respective vans) and share some wine and stories, until it was time to go to bed. Then we just shut the door, turned the table into a bed, and slept soundly til it was time to repeat the whole thing in the moring (minus wine, of course). Cape Reinga was the absolute highlight – we were the only visitors at the time, and it was spectacularly beautiful and isolated.

OK enough rambling – yet another meal to be cooked before OH heads off to his immunotherapy session.

Have a good day all.

Good morning, I’ve employed an emergency fast day as I hit my trigger weight this morning. Not at all surprised after having my annual ‘cream tea’ on a very long walk yesterday and fish and chips the day before. Better to deal with a couple of hundred extra gms than let it slide and get out of hand.

Neil, I hope you are able to realise your retirement dream. We’ve found that many people do a lot of talking. In Perth, we had friends getting diagnosed with horrible things that they wouldn’t recover from and that was the catalyst for us getting on with our bucket list while we could still walk and talk. Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Viewing 50 posts - 27,101 through 27,150 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.