Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 27,001 through 27,050 (of 28,011 total)

• Morning all

It was a pretty wild weekend, we had gale force winds and heavy rain all Saturday, there were branches down all over the roads round town, luckily I was taking my boys to lunch and the movies for my younger boy’s 14th birthday, so the weather didn’t affect us. It was interesting to note that one of 3 people my boy invited was a girl….it begins!

Sunday the weather was beautiful, but pretty cold. I was playing at a frisbee golf tournament all day from 9am to 4pm and racked up almost 20,000 steps during the day. I crashed by the end of the day and passed out on the couch, it was tiring but so much fun. I’m looking forward to the next one in a month.

Thin, I’ve really given up on watching tennis, there are no players other than Federer that I want to win because most of the next Gen players (Zverev, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Rune) and some of the established players (Djokovic and Kyrgios especially) are just unlikeable spoiled brats.

Cinque, the ramekins of food sound good, like a shepherd’s pie type thing. I’m still sticking to a keto style diet, although I did have a snaccident on Friday afternoon and had a slice of banana cake. But the diet really is helping out with snacking, I very rarely feel hungry enough to be snacking in between meals or after work. I’m hoping for another good showing on the scales.

I just have to get through to Thursday and then I get Friday off and all of the following week for the school holidays, well I hope everyone had a good weekend and I hope to hear from everyone soon. Have a great day everyone.

Happy Monday all

Thinking of you G’day

Wow Neil, 20,000 steps so soon after having Covid is impressive. I too no longer watch tennis as I don’t particularly like any of the players. I am a Federer fan and was also an Ash Barty fan but now? Pfffft

We had to take Maxx to the vet on Saturday as he tumbled down our internal carpeted stairs and was walking gingerly. Good news is he is just a bit bruised and some anti-inflammatories and no walking for a few days should do the trick. Bad news is the vet nurse just rang to say the vet has tested positive to Covid. Gah! We all wore masks and the vet nurse said she sprays Glen20 constantly. Steve’s next surgery in on Monday so if he does catch it that will be delayed and it will crush him

Thin being in the 58’s is the perfect way to be just before a holiday. You can surely marginally lower your strict regime whilst in Andorra? I do wordle every day too (love it) but rarely get it in 3. My stats are: 5 times in 2, 34 times in 3, 38 times in 4, 35 times in 5 and 13 times in 6

Cinque your ramekins sound very nice except the brown rice (not a fan). Sorry that you had a terrible sleep late last week after grandgirl minding; I hope you have now recovered

I am on a major health kick starting this week. We went out for lunch on Saturday and I saw some photos and UGH! I am tracking my food and drink and exercise in a spreadsheet. Nothing drastic just lower carbs, no wine and more exercise. I weighed in this morning back up to 92.7 so I will post my progress here to keep me honest

LJ I hope your current busy schedule isn’t too tiring and looking forward to a nice catchup from you

ok back to work, take care Friends

Good afternoon everyone,
    today is going by too quickly for me to get anything done!

My ramekins turned out delicious except I think you are right Neil and Anzac, they would have been better without the rice.
    I try to make them fit the ‘healthy plate’ (half vegetables, quarter protein, quarter carbs) but with less carbs. However I was worried it wouldn’t feel like a proper meal if I didn’t add some carbs and I had rice on hand.
    (Yummy properly cooked brown rice made with this recipe: https://www.saveur.com/how-to-make-brown-rice/ )
    But the carrot and cauliflower mash actually filled the carb place perfectly well.

I minded the grandgirls yesterday which was wonderful, but also why I am going so slow today. They were such good fun though. They got inspired by a picture they drew ages ago of the Earth exploding and made it into a book. Quite gory. They saved most of the Earth’s population in a spaceship but here is Ms5’s picture of the aftermath (warning: dead people) https://imgur.com/a/ItO4DiI
    What is going on in their heads?

And this time I had a good sleep afterwards. Hooray.

Thin, all power to you and Mr Thin with that impressive maintenance work. It will be lovely to fly through the inspection.
    Such good work keeping stable at 58!

Neil, what a weekend!
    Happy birthday to your youngest, my don’t they grow!
    And isn’t it lovely not to be battling that intolerable hunger. Hooray for a diet that makes that the case.

Anzac, cheers for your health kick, each kick along helps translate novel behaviours into sensible long term habits.
    Cool that you will share your progress, it is a reality check for us too.

Sympathy to Maxx and the vet, and hoping you managed to avoid any covid in the air.

best wishes everyone

Anzac, oh no, covid at the vets. Best wishes to OH for the surgery – is that today or next Monday?

Neil, Cinque, I agree about the poor sportsmanship and that’s one reason I dislike sport in general. The mindless drivel from the commentators is another. I hoped Norrie would win. I then pinned my hopes on Kyrgios but changed allegiance in the second set with his non-stop rantings, swearing and diatribe. It was a great final nevertheless with Djokovic proving the better – and more composed – player.

Cinque, hurray for delicious ramekin portions.

It’s a Monday FD for me. Yesterday we’d agreed to help a solo boater through a lock and swing bridge and rode on his boat to the next village which has pubs and amenities. I thought it would be nice for OH to get his Sunday lunch before we walked back so suggested I swap my FD. I’m starting the day at 59kg exactly so will be well back in the 58s to start our trip tomorrow.

I’m not taking any ‘devices’ so I’ll catch up with everyone in a couple of weeks.

Afternoon all

Thin, enjoy you’re trip, 2 weeks without devices sounds great.

Anzac, fingers crossed on the covid situation. I definitely don’t want to catch it again, I’ve had the flu vaccine because apparently there are also some nasty flu strains around this year, and to top it off there’s also a gastro bug doing the rounds as well. Winter is such a minefield with illnesses.

Cinque, little kids can be so imaginative. My niece is into painting at the moment, and her favourite thing at the moment when her younger sister annoys her is to draw her as a pile of poo wearing cat ears (her younger sister always wear cat ears)

Well the keto life is still going well, I am missing the starchy stuff sometimes, especially when I make a big pot of macaroni cheese for my boys and seeing them gleefully tucking into it, but I do enjoy the meals I make too. I made lamb burgers last night, I just had the patties without buns, put cheese and mayonnaise on them and had that with some avocado salad and a couple of pieces of beetroot. It was pretty good. I’m looking forward to my weigh-in again tomorrow, I feel like I’ve made progress again so hopefully I’ll be edging closer to double digits again. So far I’ve averaged between 1500-2000 calories a day and I haven’t felt hungry enough to eat any more than that, so it’s promising results.

Gday, I hope you’re doing ok, we haven’t heard from you since the funeral. I hope you’re getting plenty of support from family and friends over there during this time.

Well have a great one everyone, and I’ll check in again tomorrow when I’ve had my weigh-in.

Cinque, I forgot to say that space picture was great.

Neil, thank you. I do like a two hour flight – no matter how fat your seat mates, you know it’ll be over in a flash. I’m so pleased that you’ve found something that works well for you. It is hard to watch family members tucking into other things that you love and can’t have but you get used to it. The rewards are worth it.

58.4kg this morning, my lowest for this year. I have a spring in my step.

Stay strong everyone.

Morning all, well that was weird, everything pointed to me heading for another loss, calories consumed, looser clothes, looser belly skin, but I went up 1.5 kilos from 100.9 to 102.4 kilos. Hopefully it’s just a blip and next week I’ll be back down in the low 100s. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

Have a great day everyone

Morning all. How odd Neil. Can only be water weight, surely? All the other markers sound great.

We’ve had a dreadful weekend. We were away for a few days and OH got his medication confused (ie he didn’t take it) and had a dreadful day in a slump. The immunotherapy has knocked out his adrenal glands and his endo had warned that if his adrenalin levels slipped, the best he could hope for was a trip to ICU. I carry extra ‘just in case’ tablets, and pumped more into him, and he rallied…but it was touch and go. And then, he tested positive for Covid. He has a great GP. We have his mobile number, and although he wasn’t working we called it and he helped. Back from our weekend away, and straight to hospital, where they sorted him.
    Thin, you asked whether the UK accepted an Australian vacc. certificate. The answer’s no. Although my brother and his wife had been double dosed with Astra Zeneca, they still had to have another 2 jabs once they got to England. That was last year – I am sure things have changed.

Anzac, it’s a good time to go on a bit of a health kick. Just 7 weeks til Spring. It would be nice to see some kilos shed by then. That’s my plan too. I’m still 5 kilos over what I ended up last year, and it affects by whole wellbeing (not to mention the lovely leather jacket I got at my lowest not sits loved but not able to be worn, in my cupboard).

Cinque, indeed. what goes on in little ones’ heads? loved your grandgirl’s image. Aren’t they a hoot?

OK, off to get a PCR. I’ve taken a rat three days in a row, all negative, but they’re aren’t as accurate with the new strains of Covid.

My lovely lovely son has just dropped the dog back – she’s been prowling and restless with both OH and me unwell, so he took her for a run. Last I saw, my 6 foot, super fit marathoner was being towed up the drive by my big red girl.

LJ hope things are going well with you.

And G’day. Hard times. Hope you are OK. xx

Good morning,

I had my second try at my support group yesterday. No-one came. But at least, this time, the manager came out and said she would help make a promotion campaign.

I went back to remember the suggested names here (Altogether Healthy! Weight Over, Creep off 😉 ) and it was so nice to be looking at posts from CountryGal and Betsy and others. Miss you!

Anzac, I’m presuming Monday the 18th is Mr Anzac’s op? Or has my brain slumped?

Thin, HAPPY HOLIDAYS in wonderful Andorra. (Just incase you get access to a device after all)

Thanks for the space picture feedback, I just had to laugh at the cute little dead people and the earth exploding in the background.

Neil haha my little Miss 7 is just growing out of her poo picture obsession (but poor little sister <3 )

So sorry the stupid scales let you down. I trust how you felt in yourself, you really know.

Lindsay what a weekend. I hope you have some very easy time now to recover. I presume Mr Lindsay got those excellent antivirals to help him fight covid.
    Wow you can’t take your eye off that (health management) ball for a second.
    Good luck to Rosy getting some more runs with your lovely, lovely son.

Fingers crossed you remain covid negative.

Lots of good wishes to everyone. Here is a clip to make your day:
    https://twitter.com/EmilyRowe69/status/1544955664782749696

Good afternoon lovely people.

Still busy (in the middle of school holiday babysitting), but am taking this chance to catch up on posts that I haven’t read for a few days.

Lindsay, wishing you and your OH a speedy recovery. I’m very glad to hear that your husband has such a good GP – so important with everything he’s dealing with.
    I could just picture Rosy dragging your son up the driveway in her hurry to get back to you.

Cinque, sorry that the group still isn’t off the ground. Promotion is important as you need to reach a lot of people to find those few who might be interested. I think starting in warmer weather will also help. A lot of people don’t want to go out in this weather (especially those using public transport) and there is a common phenomenon of weight panic as summer approaches.

Thin, have a fabulous holiday. I look forward to hearing some stories of the delights of Andorra.
    SBS has been showing the Great Canal Journeys series that Timothy West and Prunella Scales did after her alzheimers diagnosis. Some of it has been on the continent, but they were back in their own narrow boat in Britain in the last episode and it did have me thinking of you.

Neil, sorry to hear about the blip in weight – I had one of those this week too. It’s always a shock when you know you’ve behaved well. As you say, stick with it and hope for a result you deserve next week.

Anzac, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you and your husband escaped covid infection so that the surgery can go ahead on Monday. I hope the surgery is uneventful and that this time your husband has a drama free recovery.

I’ve been catching up on cooking today. I had some lamb shank meat in the freezer so I made it into stock this morning and will use it as the base for scotch broth for dinner. A lovely hearty soup which will make for several filling meals.

A few weeks ago my weight bounced up to the high 80s yet again. So for the past month I’ve been doing 5 x 500cal FDs per fortnight – the most I can manage without the calorie count creeping up. To manage my appetite I have stuck with a moderate carb intake and have avoided all added sugars and most starch where possible (aiming for about 30% of my calories from carbs). Once I got into a rhythm it became quite easy and for once I stopped being stressed about meals out. I just made the best choices I could, enjoyed the occasion and then got back to the program immediately after. Surprisingly my weight loss has been quite steady and after a month I’m down from 88 to 83. Considering I am eating to my TDEE on most NFDs I’m surprised by that weight loss. The only blip was this week when I gained 0.9kg, despite eating carefully.
    I must say that controlling carbs is easier now with so many options readily available. When I went looking I was shocked by how many things I found which cater to the low carb craze. I’ve been using low carb wraps which are less than 100cals, have lots of fibre and allow me to have a sandwich for lunch on NFDs, which makes my life easier.
    I’ve also been using my fitbit app to track calories and macro-nutrients – something I haven’t done in years. It has reassured me that my estimation about whether my choices were about right for my TDEE were actually correct and it’s quickly apparent to me when I’ve eaten too much. I found this quite reassuring as I feel confident that when I stop this calorie tracking I will know what my choices and serving sizes need to be.

I have another busy week ahead, but it should calm down a bit once the kids are back at school.

Take care everyone, I hope the week ahead is good to you.

Hi everyone,
    Hooray I did a proper fasty fast yesterday. First time I have felt well enough for ages, and it was easy.

LJoyce, yes exactly, re my group. The manager talked about 200 people seeing the promotion for each person who turns up. So relieved that she is on it.

Oooh looking at the temperatures over Europe and I am really glad that Andorra, where Thin is, is high up and cooler than the surrounding areas, especially the heat in Spain and Portugal.

LJoyce hooray for so many low cal products. And for your fitbit. Especially that it is showing you that your own calculations haven’t slipped into lala land.

Good luck with your busy week.

Best wishes all

haha LJ Rosy was dragging DS up the drive, trying to get away from home and out into the big open spaces. She was happy to leave us at home.

I’ve been terribly sick with Covid – much more so than my OH this time. I’m on antivirals and they are helping. (OH had them too). But it’s been a rough old five days. In the middle of it all, I’m trying to edit a PhD to meet a tight deadline. Ironically, it’s about obesity and the motivators for it. I am sure at another time I’d find it interesting.
    One of the shocking things I remember from the first read was that 11000 of the 45000 items commonly found in US supermarkets contain corn oil.

Thinking about you and your OH Anzac, and hoping it’s going well.

Cinque, your group may be taking time, but it will be a great success once the promotion for it hits the ground. Good on you for persisting.

my weight is sticking, but the jeans I abandoned last week for being overtight for a long drive are now sitting comfortably, so I’ll take that.

Good afternoon all.

Lindsay, so sorry to hear that you have been so sick. Relieved that your husband has not gotten seriously ill, given the high risk that would pose for him. I know you are not well enough to enjoy your PhD editing at present, but I am pleased to hear that you actually have university work again. I can still remember you describing the meeting where everyone had their hours cut to zero.

Cinque, do people have to come into the community centre to see the promotion for support groups, or do they have a way of getting emails or flyers out to the broader community?The local council may have an email list that you might be able to use. It may also be worth checking whether your local council has some sort of newsletter that you can put some information into.
    Here we have several community centres spread across the council district that run short courses and groups. The council does the promotion by delivering a brochure to every household once a quarter, which has all the options in it. They stopped it for the first couple of years of covid, but have just recommenced them.

Anzac, I hope your husband’s surgery went ahead today. Fingers crossed for you that all goes very well.

Thin, like Cinque I have also noticed the hot temperatures that Britain and Europe are experiencing at present. Definitely a good time to be holidaying in a mountainous region.

I decided not to wait until the end of the week to check my weight. After yesterday’s FD, the unexpected 0.9kg gain is gone along with an a little extra. I’m relieved – after of month of very predictable losses, my weight remained stubbornly on 83kg last week even after the first FDs and then jumped up to 83.9kg after the second FD. I’m hoping I’m past that blip for a while and can get back to more reliable results.
    Often when my eating and weight loss is going well, the wheels fall off when I describe it in detail here. So I resisted doing that for longer than usual and waited a whole month before talking about what I’m doing. Happily I’m still going strong, despite sharing my method and results.
    I’m very glad to have found an eating pattern I can sustain in cold weather – that’s usually not something I have any joy with. It also means I have no excuses in future winters if my weight creeps up!

Hello everyone, very quick post to say Mr Anzac had his surgery yesterday and apart from one small complication it went well. He was awake and chirpy last night but of course I knew that was false as he was still full of anesthetic. Overnight that wore off and he said this morning he kept waking up in pain and having to push the pain relief dispenser button. We just need to get through the next few days and I hope and pray he doesn’t get so sick coming off the drugs like last time

I have my hands full with looking after and entertaining Maxx, house stuff and keeping up with my job so I may not post for a little while. Thanks for your support friends

Anzac, Thanks for that (mostly) good news.
    Flowers for Mr Anzac
    https://cbdflorist.com.au/pub/media/catalog/category/get_well_banner_1.png

I do hope he recovers quickly and easily and completely.

Good luck with everything on your plate.

Hi all from a very wet Kaiteriteri, it is coming down cats and dogs at present but not as bad as it has been in some areas, with some towns in Canterbury cut off with bridges washed away and severe road flooding. There is always someone worse off eh?? We’re just thankful we have a warm roof over our heads, a well stocked pantry and don’t have to go anywhere.

Sorry to have been MIA for a while, I have been reading and lurking, but not really much to report. My weight is sitting quite steady around the 66 mark, which is not where I really want it to be but I will try harder. I call it maintaining, just not at the correct figure. I often wonder if it will be this easy to maintain when I eventually get to my goal weight? No doubt someone will tell me. OH and I were going to join the gym to workout for the winter but unfortunately I was having some dizziness issues when we arrived here, a problem emanating from my neck, a trapped nerve, so I have waited for that to correct itself before starting. It has taken a little longer than we had hoped but we will begin soon. We haven’t cycled for a while but have been out walking on fine days, mostly in hilly terrain. My food choices have been quite up and down, steadily incorporating winter veggies which I seem to be fine with, most mornings enjoying sauteed cabbage – red/green with shredded sprouts, fresh ginger, grated kumara, with feta and topped with toasted seeds (my fave four – pumpkin, sunflower, flax & sesame). Yummy, followed by my first long black of the day and a couple of squares of dark chocolate.

Your ramekin dishes sound lovely Cinque, I would like them apart from the rice, not something I eat anymore, but a good portion size too. I have dropped down another plate/bowl size to eat from, haha. Good to hear you are persisting with your group, much needed I am sure, maybe not the best time of year to get something like that off the ground but all kudos to you. It must be so tiring for you minding the Grandies, I don’t have any, but we have two children in a bus next door to us who come over some days and we can always tell when they have been here, OH feels so exhausted after they leave. They are “un schooled” so tend to push the boundaries even further than usual kids I feel.

I hope you are not faring too badly with the weather Neil? Sorry to hear about the weight gain, but surely just a blip, love the way you have embraced the Keto plan, I have been making burger patties with pork, lamb, salmon and beef mince for the last couple of years, but never serve them with bread, sometimes have a thin slice of steamed kumara either side. I have to say I now prefer the chickpea patties instead of the meat ones and no longer eat salmon or pork.

Awful news about your current health Lindsay, sorry to hear you are feeling so wretched with Covid, and trying to manage work and nursing your OH too. I do hope your darling Rosy is helping you haha. The food situation in the US is so dire, I’m always amazed that more people aren’t on deaths’ door than the number already, if you ever need to see what not to do regarding growing food healthily, look no further than the US! I think that stat regarding corn oil is just the tip of the iceberg, and don’t even get me started on sugar and all the “oses”? Well done for those comfortable fitting jeans.

I had to laugh at your comment LJoyce regarding describing in detail on here what you do to lose weight and afterwards it either stagnates or you regain it, the same happens to me too, it’s almost like telling a secret and then when everyone knows it, it’s just not a secret anymore? I decided to skip that idea a while ago. You do keep yourself busy though, and active, and your dining out/social activities must make it difficult for you to keep a tight rein on things. I always seem to blow it if I eat out at all. So many foods I am finding I prefer to avoid these days, purely just because they make me feel so awful after eating them, it really doesn’t make me want to eat out to be honest, at least I know what is in my cooking!

Pleased to hear your OH’s surgery went well Anzac, thinking of you and your massive juggling act, wish I was there to help out looking after Maxx. Looks like we are experiencing your latest rain even here now, hopefully not quite as bad though. Looks like the state has a big clean up operation to deal with. Good luck with the new job hunt.

I know you are away holidaying in lovely Andorra Thin, and without devices, but I’m sure you’ll catch up soon. Hope you are having a fabulous time and relaxing after all that boat maintenance. I am sure it is warm enough for you and your flights are not being affected at all. Enjoy and stay safe.

I think that’s all of my waffling for now, it is still raining, just not quite so hard. Time to get the soup on for dinner I think and look forward to tonight’s racing from the Tour de France, one sporting event I absolutely love.

Take care all and enjoy the rest of your day.

Hi all

Sorry for the silence, I’ve been on leave this week and last friday.

We’ve had some wild weather, the last few days, Saturday was good and I got out for a 50km bike ride round the peninsula, but yesterday we had 200 kph winds and it caused some major damage. Our Frisbee golf course lost two gum trees that were completely ripped out of the ground

Wind damage at frisbee golf course https://imgur.com/a/aJK1l4r

Today it was pouring with rain all day and the forecast is similar for the rest of the week. So much for my nice holiday weather.

I’ve had issues, I think I know why I gained last week, the same old stomach issues I’ve always had. I think I’m going to have to adjust my diet to include a lot more fibre because I don’t seem to be coping with increased fats and lower carbs.

Well I’m having a weigh in tomorrow but I’m picking another gain because I feel really bloated. I hope everyone else is doing ok, I’ll catch up later.

I couldn’t get on this site this morning, because of British hot weather causing chaos, maybe. But I thought “Oh no, what if they have shut the site down, and I can never send Lindsay get well wishes!
    So I am quickly doing that right now, just in case, and will write a proper post tomorrow.
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e1/de/fe/e1defe6354e3d9b808c8b2d95bad342e.jpg

Evening all

I also had issues getting into the site this morning. They were probably doing site maintenance.

Weigh-in this morning went about as expected. I was the same as last week. Hopefully I can get back underway this week.

Have a great one everyone.

Me too, but thought it was my computer or wifi as we had just changed over to the sites’ wifi and this little machine has a mind of it’s own when it comes to connections!!

Its finally stopped raining and the suns out but a very watery sky. Lots of flights are cancelled due to strong winds and all ferries cancelled, so we’re not out of the woods yet. No wind here, thankfully, hope all’s well down in Dunners Neil?

Might just be able to get out for a walk today.

Enjoy your day friends.

Good morning losers, I’m back. Thank you Turn, Cinque, et al, everything went to plan, no strike action. No damage done on the scales from our little side trip. I had one FD while away and then the leftovers from its low cal evening meal on another night. We tried quite a lot of authentic local cuisine. Mind you, there was a considerable amount of hilly walking plus two dog walks each day. We were very fortunate to be at 6000′ escaping the searing temperatures and raging fires of much of surrounding Europe. The scenery is stunning in Andorra – the drive up from Barcelona is just spectacular.

Neil, we took a cable car up a mountain to view an international downhill cycling event. It’s an innovative use of ski slopes in summer time. The bikes are clamped to the outside of the gondolas. I understand that they do this in France also. We’d never come across it before – is it done in NZ? There wasn’t anything like that when I lived in Queenstown.

On return, we spent an enjoyable afternoon with my former Perth walking buddy (a twice weekly walking commitment lasting over 21 years) and her OH. We took them to a pub for dinner and have just seen them off this morning. It’s been raining as we take our grocery delivery at the bridge and a bit hard to believe that temps reached 40C earlier in the week.

Cinque, I am so sorry that your group netted no takers. Perhaps it would be a good idea to form a small core group of participants from personal contacts at the centre and build it up from there. Or perhaps there are other issues on people’s minds that they’d rather be addressing and maybe the group could just evolve according to demand?

LJ, good job getting yourself back on track. I’m the opposite, once I’ve said something out loud, I feel completely committed and can’t go back on it. I don’t like it when OH starts revealing things to third parties that we’ve tossed back and forth between ourselves about future plans for the same reasons. Talk, talk.

Lindsay, I hope you’re feeling better. How frustrating after having the vax. And what a scare with your OH. My walking buddy’s OH arrived on our boat with a head cold. We offered to test him for covid but he declined. I will be so annoyed if we’ve caught a cold from him, let alone covid, after being so careful for so long.

Anzac, what a relief to read that Mr A’s surgery was a success. Is he home now? Best wishes that he continues a smooth recovery and you can both start to put it all behind you.

Turn, I’m the same with meals out. It’s so hard to find anything that’s not carb-laden. Last night’s meal was accompanied by a huge plateful of chips. I couldn’t eat mine. I enjoy the atmosphere of pubs and having a half pint of Guinness but I’ve come to the conclusion that my own cooking is a better (tastier, cheaper and healthier) option.

Well, the rain is easing and we’re on our way to Liverpool which will take about a week. I’ve read all the posts and I hope I didn’t miss anyone.

Evening all.

Well today was the first day all week where we didn’t get any rain. I used my chainsaw to cut up some wood that came down in the strong winds we had, and then went and chopped up my neighbour’s tree that had come down in the same winds. I got out for a big ride around the harbour. Since I hadn’t been able to ride all week I went right out to the end and then back. Total of just over 2 hours and 52 KMs.

Thin, yes, we have something similar here. The gondolas in Queenstown have clips on the outside that they put bikes on and there are several mountain bike trails from the top of the hill to the bottom. Also the Cardrona ski field has several mountain bike trails that they sell passes to ride during summers. They run the ski lift and clip bikes to that.

Great to hear you had a good trip though. We’ve been hearing news stories over here about the heatwave in The UK and Europe. It sounds really bad at the moment with 40+ degree temperatures and bush fires.

Turn, everything is saturated down here, we’ve only had a handful of days so far in July that hasn’t had some form of precipitation. We lost a whole lot of trees and power lines in the wind a few days ago. But everything seems to be recovering now.

Well, one more day of leave then back to work on Monday. I’m hoping to get out for a morning ride if the weather is good and we have a family lunch as well.

I hope everyone else is ok. Has anyone heard anything from G’day? I know she probably has other things on her mind at the moment, but it would be nice to know that she’s ok.

Hello all

I have caught up on posts and it was lovely to read them all. So glad you had a lovely break Thin and I’m so sorry that you and your OH have been so unwell Lindsay

Mr Anzac had a dreadful few days with next-level nausea and vomiting and then his temperature shot up to 38.5 so they started him on two types of antibiotics. He is much better now but of course very little loo control but that was to be expected. He is holding down food and itching to come home. Sadly he now has a nasty infection in his colon called c.diff (Clostridium Difficile Colitis) that can be very dangerous so I am not able to visit today. He can’t leave his room without being fully gowned up in PPE so he can’t even go for his trundles around the corridors. He still seems to think he will be able to come home tomorrow but I can’t see how but we will find out later today

Sorry to hear your support group did not pan out Cinque. Perhaps next time

Neil & Turn, I hear you about the saturation. Rain used to be the exception but now it is the norm. Enjoy your last day of your holidays

Great news that you have your eating and weight loss under control LJ. I have had a dreadful week with bad food having given in to stress. Between the house, dog, work and hubby the stress is OTT

Speaking of work, I need to have a catch up today as I am way behind. Take care all and thanks so much for your kind wishes for Mr Anzac

Anzac, thank you for the update. You seem remarkably calm in your delivery of that alarming news. I know nothing of the recovery process from this diagnosis but I know you have thoroughly informed yourself so you are well-prepared. I do hope things improve for Mr A. and that he continues to get the best possible care in hospital until he’s well out of the woods. Look after yourself properly while he’s being looked after.

Neil, nice that you got some clear weather to do a good ride and cut up the fallen trees.

The sun is finally out. It’s a FD for me. Back to the chicken somethings.

Thin I think I am so immune to bad news now that I just take it on the chin. Mr A is in the best place and getting the best care so I just have to take comfort in that. He is still hatching his pitch to the surgeon today to get to come home so fingers crossed. Glen20 was half price at Coles yesterday so I bought several to scatter around the house

I woke up with a blocked nose and headachy but thankfully my RAT is negative. That would have been the last straw I reckon

Have a great day all and thanks again for all of your positive thoughts and wishes

Good morning,
    A bit of a creaky old morning here thanks to a) minding Ms7 yesterday for a big day – it was a delight, and b) missing the chair when I went to sit down with Ms5 on my knee. It slid back and I landed flat on my back. Extraordinarily little damage but I do have a tender backside this morning!

Thin, welcome back! What a great break, and wonderfully energetic.

Neil, every time I am thinking how cold and dark, windy and rainy it is here, your post shows that actually I have got it pretty warm, dry, still and sunny!

I also wish Gday might be able to post soon and let us know how she is going. I can imagine it is such a hard time. Lots of good wishes, if you are reading, Gday.

And Cali, more horrible fires in California, sending you good wishes too.

Same Merry, Intesha and everyone else lurking. Lots of good wishes.

Anzac, all power to Mr Anzac talking his way out of hospital today, especially because that would mean infection is under control and healing is going well.
    And if not today, then very soon.

I hope your nose and head symptoms go away quickly, you don’t want even a non covid virus!

I’ve been doing well with sensible healthy eating, but I want another fast day. I think I will aim for Thursday.

Best wishes everyone, for a good day today.

Cinque, oh no missing the chair. Unfortunately, you made that sound funny and I laughed at first. Miss5 probably just bounced. Yay for healthy eating and more FDs.

I’m happy too, in the 58s. I had a good FD yesterday but it was marred by getting a wasp sting on an early walk. I had no idea that they could be so painful. It kept me awake most of last night and it is red, swollen, itching and still hurting this morning. This summer, I’ve experienced several horsefly bites which also pack a surprisingly painful punch. They’re nasty little critters that chase you until they get blood. I thought Australia was supposed to be the place with so many things out to get you.

Anzac, I had to look up Glen20 as it sounded like you’d bought a bulk lot of whisky to put around the house. Had a laugh at that too. I hope your symptoms turn into nothing before Mr A. comes home.

CalifD, I saw images of the California fires near Yosemite last night. We have a friend who’s fighting those fires from a helicopter. Are you guys doing alright (in general, not the fires)?

Cinque, I can’t think of Inspector Thursday’s real name. Anyway, he stars in a new series called Murder in Provence. It’ll probably be years before Your ABC gets it but it’s something to look forward to.

Evening all

Thin, wasp stings are the worst because unlike bees they can sting again and again. I got stung on the back of my knee by one when I was kayaking in the middle of a reservoir when I was a kid. It got stuck there and I couldn’t reach it so I had to paddle back to shore with it constantly stinging me.

Cinque, I’ll bet Ms 5 thought you missing the seat was a great joke.

Anzac, best to keep monitoring with RATs and maybe double check with a PCB test. Those RATs can give a false positive quite often.

I saw an interesting article on how to test how well your body reacts to carbs. You chew a plain cracker and time how long it takes to change taste in your mouth. It shows how much of the enzyme Amylase your body produces. Apparently Amylase breaks down the carbs and leaves a sweet taste in your mouth. If it takes less than 20 seconds then you have a lot of the enzyme and can eat lots of carbs ok. 20-30 seconds and you have a moderate amount and can eat some carbs but monitor the amount, more than 30 seconds or no discernible change in taste and you have a low amount and need to limit carbs. I tried it and so was chewing for 40 seconds without noticing a change in taste. I guess the keto is the way to go for me. I’ll just have to find a balance between reduced carbs but enough fibre to keep me regular.

Well I hope all of you who are in the wars have a better day tomorrow.

Good morning,
    Well, I am fasting today. I just realised it would be easy, so I am doing it.

Lindsay, are you getting nicely recovered now? Did you get your work done on that thesis? It is interesting how much is coming out about ultra processed foods being terrible, and I know corn oil is in so many of them, in the US anyway.

Anzac, how are you feeling? Is Mr Anzac still in hospital?

Neil, I wonder about that cracker trick, because I don’t have added sugar in my diet now, and anything with made with flour tastes extraordinarily sweet straight away. Hmm, maybe not noodles. I will have to notice.

Interesting about wasps, I was so scared from hearing they were much worse than bee stings, which for me cause lots of swelling and are painful for days. So when I did get stung by a wasp a couple of years ago I was amazed that it hurt for a split second and then that was it. Easy!
    I must have got the right sort of wasp.
    And hooray that it didn’t get stuck! Ouch yours must have been excruciating, Neil. And poor Thin with yours!

I am glad to say my backside is less painful all the time. Miss 5 did not find it funny! Poor darling, she did bump her head, but everyone was so shocked at me going down so spectacularly I was the centre of attention.

Off I go to spend the day getting a bit skinnier.

Best wishes to everyone

PS Thin, I am so excited about that Roger Allam show!

Just a quick note so this is at the top of the list for a new person looking for a post from Cinque! I forgot to tell you it was the Southern Hemispherites thread!

Cinque, well done with a new recruit. It’s been years since I converted anyone to this WOL but I think there were about fifteen back in the day, with varying levels of success. I’m coming up for eight years of IF and love it. Definitely well-ingrained into my life.

Once again, I noticed in Andorra how the general population is not fat. Not the Mediterranean, of course. We strolled down the towpath past a pub last evening and the playground outside was filled with obese young children. The parents seemed in worse shape. A sad state of affairs.

Roger Allam, that’s the man. I looked him up after my last post.

How did your fast day work out? It’s good to know that you are becoming less of a pain in the arse with each passing day (insert smiley if I knew how).

Interesting about your wasp sting and Neil’s horrid experience. Day four and mine is swollen, red and itching but feels manageable with the anti-histamines.

Anzac, what’s the latest?

Good morning,
    I am going very slow after a big day yesterday.

Not a new recruit to 5:2, Thin, but maybe a new recruit to this forum.
    My group actually properly started yesterday with three of us having an easy lovely chat, and someone was doing 5:2 but hadn’t come across this forum.

(I said we’d been very quiet here, but that if she joined everyone would probably come out of the woodwork to say hi).

Hooray for the Mediterranean diet.

Well, yesterday was a very good low eating day. This morning I decided I needed something for breakfast so it won’t be fasty fast, but maybe 800 cals.

Haha I don’t think I’ve a pain in the arse at all today. Less each day I am glad to say.
    I wish your wasp sting would ease as quickly.

Hmm, I think I will go a herbal tea right now,
    Cheers all

Afternoon all from a saturated Dunedin

It’s continued to rain here, it’s currently stopped raining, but forecast is for more rain tomorrow, Sunday and Monday with Saturday the only fine forecasted day. It’s an insane amount of rain, he report on the News last night said Dunedin had received over 5 times of our average July rainfall so far this month, with more forecasted over the last few days of the month. It’s caused quite a bit of flooding as is shown in this video.

https://players.brightcove.net/4915776650001/rJepAGlOg_default/index.html?videoId=6310046372112&fbclid=IwAR2RtfHePqDu06jjKl2z9PP_gEzQ4QTD1TeSD2q6nUgZx2vBs9IkwIIo3fk

Trying to diet with this weather is really hard, the grey, wet, miserable, cold weather just makes me want to comfort eat, I also can’t get out for any riding. But I’ve managed to at least hold my weight at bay, no gain for the last 2 weeks, but no loss either. Looks like I won’t hit my goal of breaking under 100kg by the end of July.

Cinque, great that you have some new recruits, we need some more people to liven up the thread. Sorry that the little one hurt herself, I was imagining you dropping down in front of the seat with her plopping down safely on top of you.

Thin, It is frustrating, many don’t even know how bad their diet really is because it’s all they’ve known. I saw a docco on obese childern in the UK and one woman had a 4 year-old that had to wear clothes made for 9-10 year-olds because she was so big. The mother was saying “It must be her thyroid because she doesn’t get fat from what I feed her” Then when they went grocery shopping with her, 90% of what she was buying was awful convenience foods like chicken nuggets, chips, pizza, fish fingers, suagry snacks, etc. I think there needs to be more education around nutrition at schools.

Well hopefully I can get out for a ride on Saturday to help lift my mood, and hopefully the weather will finally start to improve next week.

Have a good one everyone.

Neil, gosh that video brings it home. Yes, interesting isn’t it? I’ve been lamenting the lack of healthy food when dining out for years but, for us, that’s the only time we succumb to less healthy choices. At least at home, I know I’ve always provided healthy food from scratch. For others, as you say, they don’t know how to serve anything that can’t be emptied out of a packet or jar. The supermarkets are shocking – I buy frozen blueberries and, because every store is a new experience, I have to wade through aisles and aisles of alien frozen products to find them. An industry preying on misery.

Cinque, congrats on getting some people to your group. WOM will do the rest now. To the new person who may be lurking out there: don’t be shy, we want to meet you.

Morning all

Yay! I woke up this morning with no rain falling outside for the first time in forever. I decided to treat myself and take my bike the scenic route to work. I did around 50 minutes of riding before work. I had a look back over my Strava logs and due to rain and covid, this is just the second day this month where I have ridden to work. The weather forecast is looking good for tomorrow so hopefully I can get out for a good ride tomorrow as well.

I hope everyone is doing ok, have a great one everyone.

Oh wow Neil, that is some days of rain, poor you. Watching that video is so heartbreaking for everyone involved, I really feel for them. Christchurch was similar, but it was in the middle of the city too. For once we have escaped the worst of it up here on the north west coast of the SI, but we do have more to come late on tomorrow, then it’s back to colder temps and sunny days, which I much prefer. I really do think I suffer from SAD!

Welcome “Home” Thin. Glad to hear you enjoyed Andorra, it is lovely isn’t it. When OH and I travelled to Europe back in 2011, we took teenage twins who worked for us with us and we rented a Gite in the south west of France for a week. One (daughter) wanted to visit Barcelona and one wanted to visit Andorra. We did both and we were all quite blown away by the loveliness. I couldn’t help feeling Andorra would have looked so much better in the middle of the ski season covered in snow? Can’t quite believe it’s now over 10 years ago, wow.

Weight holding steady. But not surprising as not getting out anywhere near as much as I would like, bit like you Neil (God, I hate winter) but feeling optimistic for when I do. Made a lovely pot roast in the slow cooker yesterday with topside of beef, red lentils and veg and served it with cauli creamed with coconut cream, delicious.

Best head off, I need to make some more Dukkah and pumpkin brownies.
    Enjoy your day everyone, Turn

Turn, how do you power the slow cooker? Is it a thermal one that needs no power?

Fed up with the rain here too – and spare a thought, this is summer!

Hello all from a gloriously sunny, but cool, Sydney

Mr Anzac is home and doing as well as can be considered. The poor man is running (literally) to the loo 30-40 times per day with no more than 10 seconds warning. He is in a lot of pain but I walked into the study yesterday and he was watching Johnny Cash’s ‘Burning Ring of Fire’ on YouTube so his sense of humour is intact.

While in hospital my normally spend-averse hubby went on an online spending spree! Hooray! He had been (and has now finished) cleaning out the 3rd bedroom (a.k.a. the junk room) and we moved the spare bed and furniture into the 3rd bedroom as it is a better fit. As a surprise he bought a gorgeous desk and new office chair for me and now, after 2.5 years of WFH from a corner of the dining table, I have my own office! It is fantastic to have space, drawers, good light and it even has a couch.

The second best thing he bought was an air-fryer. I have wanted one for years so we are christening it tonight with a chicken dish. Any tips or recipes for air-fryers will be gratefully accepted.

My weight took a beating in the 2 weeks he was so sick. 2.5 kilos on but I have reverted back to more healthy eating and lost 0.5 last week. Why does it go on so fast but come off so much more slowly? I feel ICKY (technical term)

That rain is terrifying Neil, I can understand and empathise as we have had similar bouts over here. Glad there was a break yesterday and you could get out for a ride

Turn, I hate hate hate winter also. I love the heat and love to swim so I am (fingers crossed) looking forward to a ‘normal’ summer after the last two cool, wet ones. The one before that was when we were in Europe for 7 weeks and watched the news in horror as our country was burning. However the BOM forecasters are now saying there is a 50% chance of a third La Nina. GAH!!!!

Maxx is barking for play time and Mr A is watching is beloved footy so I will try and come back soon. Take care all

Anzac, so pleased that your man is home albeit with a few challenges. Lovely to have a proper workspace. Where are you with the work transition? One contract coming to an end I believe you told us.

We arrived in Liverpool Docks yesterday. Fascinating. The Gay Pride thing is on today right here in the harbour which doesn’t particularly ring my chimes but I suppose might be amusing to watch since we won’t have to get amongst the crowd. The good news is that the headline act is Boney M, a band I’ve loved for years.

Morning all.

Thin, who doesn’t like Boney M? Even my kids rock out to Rah Rah Rasputin and Mary’s Boy Child has to be one of my favourite Christmas songs.

Anzac, I’m sure Mr A is much happier to be at home, despite his “burning ring of fire” That made me laugh. You’ll have to let us know how the air fryer goes. It might be something for us to look at because we often do crispy chicken strips or fish tacos and I usually shallow fry everything. I hear you about the desk too, I don’t work from home often, but when I do it’s at an uncomfortable desk with one of the dining chairs. It would be great to get a proper work desk and office chair.

I rode from Dunedin to Waitati and then back home over Mt Cargill yesterday. The damage due to the rain was evident, there were slips partially blocking the road in a few places, one place where one lane had been closed off because the road had cracked in the middle and slumped an inch or so, and the gravel sections were all pot holed, ridged, and gouged out by the rain. The ride was 45 kms with 1100 vertical metres of climbing. It was pretty tough but I was just pleased to be out on the bike.

Slip Leith Valley Road https://imgur.com/gallery/dSPD5wL

Well have a great day everyone.

Neil, our good friends who live nearby have three boys and swear by the air fryer as they are constantly feeding them and they love things just you said – nuggets, chicken strips, calamari rings etc. It is quick and no oil required

Mr A and I both love KFC (it’s our only fast food ‘thing’) but we don’t eat it due to the extreme oil and calories. So I made air-fryer KFC last night and it was moist and delicious! Let me know if anyone would like the recipe

The damage from the rain is really dreadful over in your neck of the woods Neil. We had pockets here that had the same issues – thankfully nowhere around here. We live not too far from Cronulla and the beaches there have been so badly damaged. One, North Cronulla, has vanished completely. So sad. And one of the lifeguard towers was teetering on the edge of a slipped cliff and had to be winched out by a crane

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7778152/updated-beach-damage-on-par-with-1974/

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7814621/cronulla-lifeguard-tower-comes-perilously-close-to-falling-into-the-sea/

Thin, my job is safe again for a couple of months and they have once again been so wonderful and supportive and flexibe during Mr A’s surgery. That plus the permanent WFH means I will hang on to it with clenched teeth until they kick me out. There’s plenty of work around, I get calls once or twice a week from recruiters but none will be permanent WFH – or at least I doubt it. I love Boney M too

Cinque how lovely that your group is up and running and we may have a new person to chat with here soon. Also glad your injury is feeling better.

Hi to everyone else, hope you are having a lovely Sunday

G’day, thinking of you during this terrible time

I have an electric slow cooker Thin as we power up through the winter and don’t have much use for it in the summer unless I’m making a juicy jam and it’s a sunny day so I can have the inverter on. Funny those Boney M songs eh? kinda get under your skin and we all seem to know the words to them. A bit like Abba really, it must have been the times I think, songs were all “singalong” One UK city I have never been to ever is Liverpool and would love to visit, maybe next summer when we are over. I do hope you enjoy it. I did laugh at your comment about the Gay Pride thing, I could just imagine you sitting dockside watching all the slinky lycra minimal outfits and Ru Paul look-alikes hahahaha. I almost forgot, we have watched the latest Roger Allan programme and the best scene of all is when he and his wife are lying in bed, she asks, “Is it hot in here, or is it me?” I have lost count of the amount of times I have said that over the years. And also on his return from the bathroom, he likens his passing of urine now he has aged to Morse Code, dot dash dot dash! I thought this was so hilarious and relatable with OH……

So pleased to hear Mr Anzac is back home Anzac and he hasn’t lost his sense of humour, most important in these situations? I also laughed at his humour with Buddy’s Ring of Fire. Sounds like a good option for you to hang on to that job if it is giving you what you want and certainly WFH is of the utmost importance at present. Yay for a new office, completely separate too, it will make all the difference I am sure. Good luck with that air fryer, I’ve never used one so can’t help, sorry. I need to de-clutter the van again as it is. I’m not sure where everything comes from, I think there are some sneaky fairies around somewhere?

Sounded like a great ride that Neil, Mt. Cargill is seriously steep. The slip looks awful, so much of it around the country. We had horrendously heavy rains again last night accompanied by strong winds this time. The sun did put in an appearance for a while today though and tomorrow looks sunny after a cold night ahead.

Glad you are feeling much better from your miss the chair accident Cinque, it sounded quite painful. I slipped over in a wet muddy puddle this afternoon, and although I don’t have any injuries, I think it’s the shock as much as anything, you’re totally unprepared for it? Sounds like the group will grow over time, I wish you well.

Managed to get out for a hilly walk today which was great, planning another one tomorrow which should help knock off a few hundred grams? Just devoured a Thai chicken curry for dinner with cauli rice, yum, was so hungry. We’ve been watching the inaugural Ladies Tour de France, don’t know if anyone else here watches any of the cycling Tours? it’s been pretty good but with some serious crashes and injuries. We have also watched a really good doco about Don McLean and his song American Pie, brilliant, watch it if you get the chance, sure it’s on Netflix.

Off for now, enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone, fast day or not!

Thanks for all the info Turn. I’m laughing. It sounds like Roger Allam’s character and your OH need the surgery that my OH had late last year, a TURP. Not a pleasant experience but life-changing. When the surgeon called for the follow-up interview, OH told him he could now ‘pee across the canal’. I wish I could get a female equivalent of that surgery.

As for the Gay Pride march, the participants must come from all over Britain to take part, either that or people just dress up in support – proportionately too many. I’m afraid I’m lost on coding after L,G,B and T, – far too many letters now added for my old brain to keep up. Plus I actually don’t care about someone else’s sexual preferences/identity. Keep it to yourself thank you, we’re British! I was brought up not to discuss sex, religion and politics. When others choose to bring them up, they rarely like my views.

It was fun to see Boney M, one of the original members is still in the band 46 years on. There were about three other people my age in the crowd. I did try to get up front but the crowd was just a bit too weird for me and I retreated. Funny that you mention ABBA because music from these two bands were all that was played when my friend and I were hitching around Zaire over 40 years ago and we danced and sang along to all those songs.

I know all the words to American Pie, flip side of the 45 rpm too!

Anzac, sad abut the Sydney beaches. Those images are shocking. Pleased you don’t have to worry about finding a new job for a couple of months now. I’ve never met anyone that admitted to liking KFC other than the GP neighbours we had in Perth. The husband liked it so much that he would have one piece for his FD.

Turn, you must try and get to Liverpool. We had no idea about all it has to offer and wouldn’t have visited had it not been the terminus for the Leeds & Liverpool Canal that we’re cruising. We spent a whole morning on just one floor of the Maritime Museum, fascinating sections on emigration via Liverpool ships to America, Canada and Australia and another on what is now known as Border Force.

Neil, pleased you had a good ride, that road looks very slippery.

I keep finding myself short on time and energy and I keep delaying posting as I don’t time to do a proper catchup. The longer I leave it, the worse it gets. So I’ll do a brief post now while my FD dinner is heating to avoid more delays.

I am continuing with the same eating program although my weight loss has slowed to a crawl. I’m not worried about this as my clothes continue to become looser so something good is still happening. My big jeans now barely stay up – not sorry about that.

School holidays were busy with babysitting and it took me few days to recover, only to begin a flurry of appointments. Thankfully it will quiet down a bit after this week. I have also been putting any spare energy into gardening. Made lots of progress but have felt exhausted at the end of each day.

Hello to everyone, sorry for being an intermittent poster. Will catch up properly in a few days.

Oh LJ you gave me a bit of a prod and I realise I’ve been a bit of a lurker too lately. I read, and mean to post, and then…..
    Good your jeans are feeling looser, even if your scales aren’t being kind.
    My mid jeans are fitting comfortably now too – I had to undo the waist button for my long drive home from northern NSW a few weeks ago.
    Pretty much over my Covid now, though still some lingering headaches and a shockingly ugly cough. Thin I’d just had my 4th jab too, so heavens knows how I would have been without immunisation. My OH pretty much sailed through his Covid – I wonder if the steroids he takes daily now helped?
    Cinque, I am sure your group will take off …good to have some interest to get the ball rolling. Who was it that said word of mouth would see it take off? I agree.
    Turn, you sound like you are living a lovely life….weather or not. I do enjoy reading about your travels.
    Anzac, what a roller coaster with Mr A. Hope he is continuing to improve and those fiery symptoms are easing. How nice to have a comfortable office.
    Neil, shocking shocking weather. Good to be able to get out on your bike – although it does sound like a bit of a dangerous ride over tricky damaged roads.
    OK off to cook dinner, but before I go…..
    I’ve been reading parts of the obesity literature for the PhD I’ve been editing. It is fascinating. Some interesting stuff about why diets stop being effective, over time. Just diving into a book by Dr Robert Lustig (anyone know him? – he’s the sugar doctor …I almost said nazi, but that would be unkind and inaccurate). Not far in but so far the theme for the book is how our food has become industrialised over the past few decades and how that is affecting the obesity crisis worldwide. I saw that when I lived in China ….one supermarket I know I’ve told you about had a section for ‘puffery’ food, which was all the processed crisps and stuff. No wonder their diabetes and obesity is going through the roof.
    Hope I can come back with more info as I read on.
    night all.

Good morning,

Wow I didn’t realise how long it was since I wrote either.
    I have a busy time at the moment. I minded Ms5 on Sunday (exhausted). My second group meeting is tomorrow. My sisters are coming to Melbourne to have lunch at Hanoi Rose with my daughter on Thursday. (It is my daughter’s 30th birthday! How did that happen!) And my sister from Bendigo, the one having full on cancer treatment at the moment, is going to stay the night.

She won’t mind my clutter, which means I could put a lid on my need to have everything nice, except her dustmite allergy is worse than mine and I need to clear things, air things and vacuum. So I will do as much of that as I can today.

I’ll write between jobs!

2. I’ve opened the window in the spare room and packed a box of old computer/electrics and put it in my car ready to to take to the place. And I have done a bit in the kitchen. Who says you can’t multitask? 😉

Neil, what a flood!
    I am so glad you got your ride. The seasons are turning, hooray.

Turn, same for you. The bit of sun we had when I got up is now covered up, that brisk cold wind blowing in the clouds.
    Well done on a stable weight, lovely cooking and the prospect of getting out more.

Anzac, lots of good wishes to Mr Anzac, and cheers!

What a wonderful thing he did for you, preparing such a wonderful, functional, comfortable place to work!
    I do hope that every day he is healing and his gut is repopulating with all the good little microbes and his muscles and plumbing are remembering how to work.

It has been SUCH a stressful time for you. Did you find that the good work you have been doing, changing eating habits, made the stress eating any less damaging that it would otherwise have been? It sounds as if that might have been so.
    Good luck now getting all the good things back in place.

Congratulations on the air fryer too!

I’m so glad your work has been supportive. (Hopefully now they have supported you through Mr Anzac’s crisis, they will support you to have a less stressful life so you don’t end up having a health crisis. It is in their interests!)

Thin, the Gay Pride celebrations sound a hoot.

3. More sorted in the back room and kitchen.

LJoyce, those kids are such pleasure but don’t they use up a lot of energy.

Woot! re the loose jeans. The measure that really counts.
    I do hope you can fit in some quick brief catch ups.

That’s what I will work on too.

Lindsay, hooray for LJoyce’s prod 😀
    I do hope those nasty, lingering covid symptoms ease off soon.
    Yay for those mid jeans!

I have also been learning about the ‘ultra processed food’ worries. It seems there is something damaging in them beyond calories and nutritional value (or lack of it). Being designed to keep us eating more and more, and being so cheap, so hugely advertised, and so easy, is such a big part of it too. I’m keen to hear what your student adds to the knowledge.

Haha just realised I used EXACTLY the same sentence to Thin about the Gay Pride celebrations. I must have read your post and it just sat in my brain as the perfect comment, so I wrote it too. 😀 😀

Cheers to everyone,
    I’m eating well, avoiding ultra processed foods, and planning to fast tomorrow as it makes good sense to do it on my group meeting day, presuming anyone turns up tomorrow.

Ciao

Hi all,

Haven’t been reading posts so hope everyone is going okay. Life has certainly been a struggle the last few months and I haven’t been travelling too good. Adjusting to life and finding a path forwards is difficult. It feels like everything single thing I am, and I have known, has been turned on it’s head.

The home business and my diploma study has been put on hold for now, I have no desire, no interest or the right frame of mind at the moment to deal with any of it. My zing and passion for life is no longer there and I have literally fallen in a heap, having been diagnosed with depression and am seeing a psychologist every fortnight. Although it’s not what I want to be on, I accepted the psychologists and my GP’s recommendation to start on medication for the depression.

Surprisingly, given the amount of crap food I have eaten lately, my weight floats between 59 and 61 kgs, although I am no longer buying the crap food (lollies and chips) when I go shopping but still eating toast and cheese at 1am when I can’t sleep, plus icecream every night, yes every single night I have icecream in a cone. I have no desire to cook so food has been quite basic but at least it’s been healthy vegies etc.

I’ve done no exercise at all in the last 2 months, absolutely nothing. No motivation at all, not even a walk.

I finally started checking emails today, over 400 to plough through….aghhh, just too hard to get on top of things because I’ve let everything slide too far. The psychologist assures me the medication will kick in within 2 weeks and my serotonin levels will increase which in turn will increase my motivation levels and my desire to work through things etc. The initial side effects in the last few days have been yuk, gut issues, mild headaches, aches and pains, insomnia (on top of the lack of sleep I’m already getting), feeling unsteady on my feet and generally feeling quite weird, I just don’t know how to describe it but I feel really odd.

I did notice while scrolling to the bottom of the page that someone mentioned Robert Lustig, I have 2 of his books, Fat Chance and Metabolical, both great reads. Must go, school pick up time.

Viewing 50 posts - 27,001 through 27,050 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.