Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,911 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,551 through 2,600 (of 28,015 total)

• Hello my fellow Aussies and Kiwis ( I consider myself both hehe). Day 1 for me in sunny Central Qld. I downloaded the 5:2 iBook last night and set off on my fasting journey today. I must say knowing I can eat whatever the hell I want tomorrow is the only motivator getting me through the day.

I would be curious to know who starts their fasting at dinner time and who starts at breakfast and if one is easier than the other.

Reading the suggested fasting guidelines takes me back to my eating patterns when I was a smoker, skipping brekky, going hours without food. When I stopped smoking a decade ago I made a conscious effort to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Maybe this has been a contributor to my weight gain……….that and the sugar addiction, carb addiction and enjoying wine far too much (sigh!). Wish me luck hehe

Ps. What does the permalink button do?

Pattience, wonderful advice. Thank you. I have their dinner ready and they can heat it themselves. I won’t even have to look at it. You’re right, it’s only one day and I can eat tomorrow. The benefits of living longer are worth more than a snack.

Hi Bloggers…………I have a question…….can any food be consumed on a fast day other than a cuppa soup? For example 150 calories of smoked kippers for the protein content as well as the cuppa soup? All answers and education greatly received………….”let’s hit the road and shift the load”

Hi Travlea

You most certainly can have protein on a fast day. My fast days always begin with a poached egg and a black coffee. Lots of water all day. Then either vegetable soup ( with or without sliced chicken, depending on how I’m feeling and how my 400 calories are going), or I eat stir fry chicken or salmon with lots of steamed vegetables. Add flavours such as chili, ginger, lemon, lime, pepper, herbs etc.

When I am fasting I need a little protein plus lots of vegetables. By restricting my carbs, starchy foods and sugars, and fasting, and by mostly eating a small portion of fish, lean meat or chicken and lots of steamed vegetables, I lost around 15 kgs and 3 clothing sizes.

Enjoy! Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚ this is indeed a way of life!

Hi Bayleafoz……….thanks for the info. I guess I misunderstood something on the program giving me the impression that a fast day meant NO solid food.

Hi Sitash

It’s good to realise that a fast day is really 36 hours long. Most of us begin our fast around 7 pm the day before and continue until 7 am the day after. For instance, if you decide that Monday is one of your fast days, you would have dinner on Sunday evening and try to finish eating by 7.30 pm.

Then have nothing but water until breakfast or brunch on Monday. The water, black tea or coffee, herbal teas through the day. Then eat your dinner on Monday making sure you have only had a maximum of 500 or 600 calories for the whole day. Then you only have water until Tuesday morning.

I hope this makes sense. The 5:2 does not really work for most of us if you go from say 2 pm Monday until 2 pm Tuesday. This is not long enough for the fasting effect to work.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Hi Travlea

You can have up to 500 calories as a mixture of soup and solids. I think they recommend soups as very filling while not high in calories. I personally like to crunch raw carrots and celery. Please see my answer to Sitash re protein.

The main thing is to stay away from processed carbs, such as bread, cakes, sugar of any sort, rice, pasta, and starchy vegetables such as potatoes, on your fast days.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

Good advice Bay.
    Travlea, have you read the fast diet books? All is revealed πŸ™‚
    All you are doing is restricting your intake to 25% of your daily needs (TDEE.Calculate using the home page). Finish eating on (say) Sunday after dinner, eat about 400-500 calories during Monday and eat normally from breakfast on Tuesday. That is a 36 hour fast.
    You can eat anything up to the reduced calorie count but you would be very hungry, for example, if you chose 3/4 bottle of wine!
    As Bay says, an egg (eg mushroom and parsley omolette with a tiny spray of oil) for breakfast. A small snack of carrot sticks in the late afternoon and fish and highly flavoured steamed veg (onion, garlic, chilli flakes, bok choy, carrot, fennel, shallots…) for dinner. Strawberries and blueberries are brilliant too.
    Look for very low cal foods and play with them. Coles sell Slendier Kojak noodles in the health section…minimal cals.
    The only limitations are 400-500 cals MAX (I go lower) and your imagination.
    Many of us extended the no food period as long as possible to gain health benefits (very late breakfast) and because once you eat it is harder to stop πŸ™‚
    Good luck PVE

Bay and I are obviously typing at the same time. I guess I’ll add…”what she said”….:) P

Hi Bayleafoz

Thanks for the pointers and yes it makes perfect sense! Now I know what to do, thank you :-).

Travlea the program does not tell how you to do the fast diet at all. That program was made before the 5:2 diet was invented. He was doing a three day water fast when he had the soup.

The 5:2 diet has minimal rules. Everything is a recommendation and if you are smart about it, you will eat better quality food to make the whole thing easier and more successful.

The reason why he ate a cuppa soup on the water diet was because of its high salt content. When fasting on water or eating low carb, your salts get out of whack and you end up dehydrated. When you are starting this diet, if you find yourself headachy its because of dehydration and quite possibly linked to your salts being out of whack so do yourself a favour and if you get a headache while on a fast or on this diet, get some more salt and drink more water.

Ditto if you get cramps at night at any time. You are dehydrated most likely due to faulty electrolytes/low body salt. If you eat much processed food you won’t need to add extra salt but if nearly all your food is whole food, you will need to add extra salt sometimes.

SALT IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR WELL BEING BUT IT MUST BE THE RIGHT SORT OF SALT.
    Processed salt has fillers and anti caking agents in it an should be treated as poison. Look to your health food store for Himalayan salt or some sea salts produced in Australia that do not have fillers.

Hi Everyone, It has been interesting reading your posts and I have learned from them. I started the 5:2 diet earlier this year at my doctor’s recommendation but got lost on the journey for some months. I saw the 60 minutes telly show and it has rekindled my enthusiasm. I was only fasting for 24 hours previously so I now know to fast until the next morning. Tomorrow is my second fasting day this week and I am looking forward to it. I was keen to try fasting and found it relatively easy so long as I am busy doing something and not focused on food. I thought I could eat anything up to 600 calories for the fasting day, some say that it needs to be vegetables, or soups. When I say anything, of course not fast food but perhaps toast with an egg for breaky and then fish/chicken and vegies for dinner. Can someone confirm whether the toast is OK.

Hi there

We went out to dinner with friends and I ate the Vietnamese soup Pho with rare beef, bean sprouts, rice noodles, green onions, basil and chili. Yummy and good enough for a fast day, if you watch the amount of noodles.

Cheers, Bay πŸ™‚

G’day all, My wife and I watched the program and decided to give it a go. Not only for the health benefits of reducing the IGF1 but also for the weight loss.

I also downloaded the Dr Michael Mosleys ibook and have begun to read it. Worthwhile reading. Yesterday (Tuesday) was our first fast day. Started Monday night after my 8pm dinner and finished at 8pm Tuesday night (roughly 24hrs).

In the 24hrs I had no solids, just plenty of water and jasmin tea. I have just had my final meal (2 hrs ago) and have now begun my next fast. I will try to extend it to Friday morning breakfast if possible.

I don’t know how you guys felt but I felt really good and in fact I had trouble getting to sleep. My mind was really active.

My wife didn’t seem to have enough water throughout the day and suffered with a headache as a result. Lessen learned. She’s skipping tomorrows fast to recover completely.

Anyway good to see so many people giving it a go and sharing their experiences.

Baz

Hi all Southerners,
    What a lot to catch up on. Go away for a few days to celebrate 30th wedding anniversary and this site has got very busy. Welcome to all the wonderful newbies, may the power of 5:2 give you strength in a great new way of life.
    For all the new folk I have been doing 5:2 for 10 months, spent the past two months on a plateau and still managed to loose 20 kg. πŸ™‚
    Few days away was road trip to Southern Vic to visit places we went on honeymoon 30 years ago, along with some retail therapy. How things change in that time.
    Caught up with family and friends who were blown away at my weightloss and extra energy.
    IHAW, thanks for asking, cows are well and beginning to enjoy the spring flush of pasture growth, however the lack of rain for the past two months is really showing, and spring may be very short this year. On the study side I have taken this term off to get the garden and myself licked back into shape, we are about to start eating salad veggies from the garden, and we are just finishing the last of last years leeks, great in veggie soup.
    Keep up the good work everyone, enjoy spring while it lasts.
    Happy fasting tomorrow, Charlie πŸ™‚

G’day Charlie.

man losing 20kgs in 10 weeks – like WOW that is awesome.

Did you do any cardio to assist in your weight loss?

Well done champ. That’s no mean feat.

Baz

Good start Baz, but why did you not eat any solids? It is not a liquid diet, just a limited calorie diet (25 % of your TDEE) This needs to be sustainable long term. Many of us who have done it a long time eat all our fast day calories in one meal at night. ie nothing from dinner to next dinner (eat fast day allowance or less) then nothing until breakfast (that’s a 36 hour period), but most beginners split their fast day food into two lots….breakfast or brunch, then a light dinner.
    Look at the recipes you can do on a fast day and enjoy the wonderful flavours of tasty veg or salad and fish or egg.
    You do need to drink plenty to make up for the lack of food and any sleep issues can be overcome by eating most cals at night.
    All the best to both of you. PVE

Welcome back Charlie. Congratulations. Your 30th anniversary sounds very romantic. Glad you had a good time reliving memories.
    Happy fasting all tomorrow. P πŸ™‚

dcmc, e535 doesn’t seem to be particularly harmful. Its the only other ingredient in my salt apart from sea salt. Its black and gold product. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ferrocyanide.

Minnie,, You can eat anything you want on a fast day. Its up to you. No one is going to come and put a black mark next to your name or send you to the naughty corner. But there are good choices and not so good choices. Toast is not a great choice because it has a higher GI and not much nutrition and is not very filling if you only one or two pieces. Toast is also high calories compared to vegetables. For about the same calories, fish etc is better value.

The main reason to eat protein is to help minimise muscle loss.
    Vegetables are the best food to eat most of because they are bulking and satisfying. I add a couple of teaspoons of oil to my vegetables. I think its worth “sacrificing” a few calories to make my healthy food taste really good. The oil helps to making food satisfying. People say its protein food that is most satiating but oil/fat also has this effect too – hence only one reason why low fat diets a problematic.
    Home made vegetables soup is also good because its filling and usually quite low calorie.

“G’day Charlie.

man losing 20kgs in 10 weeks – like WOW that is awesome.”

LOL that’s close to what i thought too! But actually i thought he was on a plateau for two months and still lost 20kg. How do you do that?

Hi All,

I imagine I’m being a bit slow, but are there recipes on this site? I’ve been reading so much info, trying to take on board all that’s been written, that I may have been told but have forgotten!!! Tomorrow is our first fast day (hubby, one daughter and me), and I was hoping to have worked out what we’ll all be eating all day, but real life got in the way of planning. Have to step outside my norm and fly by the seat of my pants instead! Guess it won’t matter as long as we all stay under the amount.

Looking at my BMI, and using that to calculate my TDEE, it works out as 1935 cals.So my fast day should be a quarter of that, which (obviously) is less than 500. Does anyone use the accurate figure, or just the ballpark 500 cals?

Thanks. πŸ™‚

Hi Miss Lizzy C, most people seem to do the ballpark figure, but I am one who does the quarter of TDEE. My daily TDEE comes in at about 1400 so I found that 500 cal on a fast day was too much. Everyone is different and has different needs. The beauty of this diet is that you can adjust it to suit you.
    HB

Miss Lizzy C, I forgot to mention that there are recipe topics in the forums. But the easiest thing to do is to just google the lowest calorie foods, check your fridge and cupboards for those items and just go for it.
    HB

HA HA HA – Hey Pattience,

sorry but that was actually a typo on my behalf (from a lack of sleep). It was meant to be 10 months not 10 weeks. But really 20kg in 10 months is a amazing achievement.

Speaking of sleep, I wonder if jasmine tea is high in caffeine cause i had a few cups throughout the day and not long before bed.

As far as having liquids only, i thought a true fast does mean no solids and as I don’t generally eat that much during the day (about 4000 Kj) per day, I thought I’d give it a crack. I felt good, wasn’t starving throughout the day.

I can’t see any harm as long as I provide plenty of nourishment from good food on the following non-fasting days.

any thoughts – anyone

Baz

Hey Charlie,
    congrats on the anniversary and nice to take in a holiday away from the farm. I’m glad the family were observant enough to notice your new svelte self, mine didn’t and I had to show them I’d really was a whole lot lighter! Ha!

Since the telly showed this, I’ve had heaps of clients asking me about 5:2 and I like telling them a little of how it was for me. Lots of enthusiasm for this healthier way of life, away from expensive diets that don’t work and make you feel like a failure when you can’t sustain them….that’s what’s so good about this WOE, you are the one making the choices for yourself, to your tastes, your budget, your variation on when and where you eat….making it easy to fit how you live, not you fit into it. Therefore sustainable, reliable and adaptable for everybody who needs it.

After 17 months I have a wonderful sense of mastery and confidence that I am definitely making a huge difference to my health and am going to be ageing well into the future. I’m no longer a candidate for suffering diabetes type 2, or stroke…and that makes a massive difference to my self esteem when I see how ill my older friends and family are with these awful, chronically debilitating diseases. I’ve also overcome IBS, in the first few weeks of 5:2, which was unexpected. As well as spending a fair bit less at the supermarket.

So all in all, it’s many great bonuses to be had, for very little effort on my part! Yay!
    Happy fasting people! Live long and prosper!

Hi all the newbies looking for recipes.
    We started the LOACA Recipe thread to keep all the great recipe ideas together without them getting lost in the middle of chatty threads.
    If you have questions about specific recipes, ask there, but if you have more general questions, eg relating to Aussie products (Bay and I, who have recipes on the thread are both Aussies), please ask here. Keep the chatty conversations off the thread to make it easier to find the actual recipes.
    Don’t want to sound pushy, but thought I should explain the reason it was started. Enjoy dabbling in the food ideas. Thrilling your taste buds with nutritious, filling, yet very low cal foods on fast days, is one way of ensuring continued adherence.
    Happy cooking all. P πŸ™‚

I use your system aitchbee….
    very early in the piece we listed all foods that were very low cal…lots of bang for our calorie buck…and invented meals around those.

I got rid of any highly calorific foods….bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, biscuit,cakes, sugar, honey, cheese…alcohol was kept for 1 glass a day 5 days a week and I used only spray oil for nearly a year.

With these foods out of the house, I replaced them with lots and lots of low cal veg (mushrooms, lettuce, tom tomatoes, bok choy, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, fennel, capsicum, a few olives), berries, Greek yohurt, almonds, peanuts and cashews (small amounts for crunch), lean meats (fish, smoked fish, turkey, thin ham slices), eggs, lots of spices (cinnamon, Harrisa, chilli flakes), ginger root, tumeric, limes and lemons (cut and frozen), vegie patties (Bite Me brand at IGA), felafels, hummus, chickpeas and Simply Konjak noodles from Coles (rinse really well and add to highly flavoured foods for almost no calories, but lots of bulk).

Plan ahead, get your head around what works. Even if you only open a packet of smoked salmon (2 of us share a 100g pack) and pop it in a bowl of shredded lettuce, add a few tom thumb tomatoes, a little grated carrot, a strip of capsicum and a few capers, you have a very quick fast meal(read as: ‘don’t have to wait or think when your are desperate’). Finish it off with a tiny ramekin filled with blueberries and strawberries, a teaspoon of Greek yoghurt, sprinkle with almond flakes and cinnamon. Serve with black coffee. Mmmmm.. Mini ramekins are really worth having as they make it look like a LOT of dessert.;)

Have fun rediscovering healthy, innovative ways of eating your way to health. PVE

PS If you are in doubt, we lost the equivalent of a whole person between us (57 kg) and OH has come off insulin and Metformin for diabetes. I have fixed my high blood pressure.

Ooops. I’ve only been here five minutes and I’m already misbehaving. Sorry everyone (PVE).You know what we newcomers are like! πŸ™‚ Maybe we could start a thread specifically for food equivalents between countries/regions? (If only I knew how to start a thread!Haven’t figured that out yet!).

PVE, the recipe (above) sounds great. Is that just the flat-packed, vacuum-sealed salmon you use? Or maybe a chunky piece of smoked salmon? Thanks for the advice. It’s my first fast day today so this will make it a lot easier!

Thanks Miss Lizzy.
    This forum has grown so big it is getting really hard to find things. I had trouble finding the LOACA recipe thread the other day, and I was one of the original posters!

I think we Aussies are pretty good at converting between UK and USA terms, aren’t we? It is one of the benefits of being a smaller population in an English speaking world. It does get frustrating when recipes call for products we can’t find or aren’t available seasonally, but that is part of the challenge. Mr Google becomes your friend on this. I am also a whiz at converting cals to kilo joules (x 4.186) as my hubby refuses to talk cals and when shopping I’m always roughly estimating the notes on the packets’ back to cals from kJs. Cals are just a more workable sized number for me.
    Happy fasting today. PVE πŸ™‚

PVE, I edited that ^^^^ to ask about the salmon in your recipe. Could you take another look maybe??? Ta!

Hi im in Hervey Bay and today is my first day of fasting peppermint tea and two glasses waters 3.5 ks walk/jog wish me luck

Hi Miss Lizzy
    Either one. The flat pack 100g is very low cal and keeps for ages. Also really easy to toss in an esky for a picnic. The flavoured larger chunks are slightly more cals (I’m not getting out of bed to look, sorry…too cold), but I often use them in a stir “fry” of steamed veg, chilli, garlic, onions,shallots, grated ginger, bok choy etc and Shiritaki noodles (Slendier here) for a winter evening meal.
    I also use sword fish or king fish often in stir fries (no oil) as it holds it’s shape well. See my cashew, chilli recipe…it’s a real winner.
    Good luck. P πŸ™‚
    Buy dried chilli flakes, ginger root (keep in the freezer it grates well) and plenty of limes and lemons. Always have frozen berries in the freezer too.

Loving the salmon on my fast days, it adds a lot of taste and is easy to use with so many other things in my fridge. That was dinner last night.

Baz, no idea about jasmine tea, google it.

You can eat nothing if you prefer but the 5:2 fast suggests its easier to have a few calories and may reduce muscle wasting. Do whatever feels right for you. But i love being able to eat something.

Any chance you could learn how to talk in calories. Apart from PVE above, yours is the first post in a year of being on forums where i’ve read someone talk about kilojoules.

The thing is protein is not stored in the body unlike carbs and fats. So you can only get the benefit of protein when you eat it. So the days you go without protein, you may lose a bit of muscle which you will only regain if your activity level demands it. Muscle mass is generally dictated by the needs of the body. So i was interested to learn that obese people actually carry quite a bit of muscle. They lose most of it whilst losing weight because its no longer needed or demanded by extra exercise.

I don’t bother posting recipes in recipe forums very much because i tend to think people don’t read them. I got disillusioned with such threads because there was no conversation. Also i prefer to get my recipes from recipes books. I just like to share some of my food ideas here because its more fun and i like talking about food in terms beyond just nutrition. And it has paid off too because now i have discovered the ricotta strawberry combination which is going to become a regular of mine in strawberry season. I actually have a recipe for grapes and ricotta which haven’t tried yet because they are still too expensive. Normally i eat fruit with Pauls original natural yoghurt or my own home made yoghurt which is nowhere near as delicious as Pauls but its cheaper and i still like it.

I would point out that natural yoghurt is an incredibly wonderful alternative to ice-cream and cream if that’s what you are used to eating.

Hey, I’m a kiwi in Oz and I just started my first fast kind of randomly yesterday. Unfortunately I ended up 11cals over the 500 but I doubt that matters much really. Decided this morning I’d do today as well and just ate half the mince from last nights chilli dinner instead of all I had dished as I weighed it and worked out the cals would be too much if I ate all of it. There’s will power for you..ha…

I’ve been on a loose paleo diet for over 2 yrs which hasn’t resulted in the desired weight loss although I do feel a lot healthier. Then the Hubster was diagnosed with coeliac this year so my diet, all of a sudden, was THE thing to do he’s also a type 1 diabetic…

I’m now adjusting quantity and adding the fasting since my new phone has a great app. for keeping track of calories. I’m also going to develop an exercise regime I can live with once I get the fast exercise book. I don’t want to be a yoyo dieter and see my eating habits as a life choice not a diet (I keep reminding my kids of this when they call it ‘Mum’s diet’).

I think dinner tonight will be a green salad with a couple of hard boiled eggs for protein. Here’s hoping the weight will just start falling off….lol..

Here’s a question, the website says I need 2200 cals a day to sustain my weight, obviously I don’t want to sustain it but lose it, how many calories should I drop that to?
    1800 hasn’t been working, how much more should I drop it?

Hi Pattience
    I have followed the on line doctor, Dr Mercola, for many years now and I try to follow his advice.
    I have included a link on his site regarding sat for your information.
    all the best
    David

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/04/high-salt-consumption.aspx

should, or course, read about salt

Pattience, as a guide i try get to the gym 3 times a week – my non fasting week days being Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This is where I do my HIT and resistance (weight) work.

On these days I eat properly making sure my meals consist of protein and nutrients with minimal carbs and fats.

It’s definitely a balancing act trying to lose weight and maintain muscle.

I just find it much easier not to eat anything at all on my fasting days, this way I know from the outset I don’t have to think about my next meal for the day and just get busy. When we think about food, anticipate it and start looking forward to it – we get hungry.

Anyway – that’s just me. We are are all different and need to find what works for yourself.

This is why communities like this are so valuable as they provide great a place to learn what others are doing and how.

anyway time to go off to get busy πŸ™‚

Baz

Hi Everyone, for those of you doing your first fast day today I would like to share my very first observations on the ‘first fast day’ of the diet. I did my first fast yesterday after worrying I would not be able to do it for 48hrs before starting the 5:2. This was fear of failing something I really want to do for weight loss and health benefits (yes after joining the Sunday Night Newbies landslide…stop rolling your eyes you ‘old hands’).

Well, I did not have breakfast after reading a few posts about people believing breakfast actually made them crave food more earlier in day. I spent all morning telling myself I was ‘going to starve myself’ as I gulped down water like a fish, made a few black teas and basically ‘waited’ for the hunger pains to eat into my brain!

Had lunch at 12.30 (my two weetbix from breakie with skim milk) and a cupa soup for dinner at 8pm. To cut a long story short the fear of the fast day subsided and actually pulled up short of 500 calories. I was not busy at work so had plenty of time to sit around and think about my starvation and in the evening I was busy but you know what…by the time I went to bed at midnight I was still fine, no cravings, no wanting to kill anyone and you know what I was not in a screaming hurry to get a huge breakfast into myself this morning!!!

So, my results were: I got better as day went on, actually craved less as the fast went on, no feelings of stuffing myself today, yes I felt cold during the fast day (explaned by many others here), yes my mind wes ‘racing’ a bit when I went to bed but I survived to see another sunrise.

So, it is ‘doable’ guys and I would not call myself ‘strong willed’ anymore than a normal person is!! Bottom line is: do not be scared like I was. Negative thoughts are all apart of the initial process and I am not overly worried about day two fast outside of thinking ‘it cannot be as easy as that again, surely.’ We have nothing to fear but so much to gain longterm in this crazy world that has thrown every obstacle in our path to send us to early graves.

Morning.
    I began yesterday!!!
    I fasted.
    It was hard.
    Stupidly I chose to fast on the same day I had to make my son’s birthday cake. However, I didn’t lick a single spoon or bowl – have to be happy with that!!! Even the cake shavings I was cutting off to be able to make a number 9 didn’t make it into my mouth. Nor did the icing spoon or the smarties and jelly babies I used for decorations.
    Still I made it through my first day and just had a cup of steamed veges for dinner besides green tea and water throughout the day.
    I can do this!

Well done Macandmui
    You’ve taken control of your future. All the best PVE

Hi Everyone,
    I started my first fast day today, so was thrilled when I realised one of our routine meals was actually really low calorie! It’ll be dinner tonight! πŸ™‚ Thought I’d share it for those who’d like to give it a try.

WARM BALSAMIC FISH SALAD – recipe by Sally James, The Heart Foundation Cookbook (Australia)
    CALORIES = 269 PER SERVE

This is really yum, and (I was pleasantly surprised!) is one of our regular meals! Has been for nearly a decade! Just happens to be low cal! I calculated the calories as per individual serve, which totals about 269 calories, based on a 100 gm piece of Atlantic salmon being used. I usually serve it with steamed chats, but for fast days would probably substitute the carbohydrate with the zero calorie noodles (in Australia look for Slendier, other places shiritaki).

Serves 4. Easy to make.

Oil spray (low calorie if available – otherwise add the cal’s in)
    400 gm fish fillets cut into 3 cm cubes – tuna/blue eye/Spanish mackerel/ocean trout/Atlantic salmon/swordfish/mahi mahi
    8 fresh asparagus spears, halved.
    200 gm fresh green beans, halved
    200 gm (4 cups) mixed lettuce leaves (baby mesclun mix/rocket/arugla/whatever)
    200 gm punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1 long Lebanese cucumber, sliced

Dressing:
    1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons lemon/lime juice
    2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
    2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    freshly ground black pepper

1. Using a non-stick frying pan or griddle, spray the pan and wait for temp to come up.
    2. Cook fish over high heat until browned on both sides and flesh just flakes when tested with fork. Turn heat off.
    3. Steam asparagus and beans until tender, but not faded. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
    4. Arrange lettuce mix, tomatoes, cucumber and asparagus and beans over a serving platter/in a bowl.
    5. Top with hot fish and drizzle with balsamic dressing.

Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a screw top jar and shake to combine.

(Might also be nice to add a Spanish onion into this, finely sliced wedges).

Top recipe Lizzie
    Can you add it to the Loaca Recipe thread, please? You are really getting your head around this. Well done P πŸ™‚

David, Dr Mercola is not my kinda guy.

macandmui – Awesome start! If you can do that on your first day, imagine how you’ll cope in December. Well done.

Baz i just did my resistance and leg work by brush cutting the long grass my front garden for a good 30 minutes.

Hi Minnie. How much fibre do you and hubby eat? I don’t think it will resolve his coeliac issues but if you watch catalyst – gut reaction you will learn about how much help fibre does for our health, or you can read the wikipedia entry called gut flora which is less entertaining and a bit more detailed.

When i log my calories in my fitness pal, i choose to count fibre as well. On low fibre days, i take a spoonful of psyllium to boost it up. chia and oat bran will also help with relatively low calories. But fibre is said to be excellent for all the inflammatory diseases, i.e. diabetes.

Since paleo is low carb, you will notice the similarities re fasting and water/headaches etc.

Like you i want an easy to sustain exercise routine so…

Recommend look at getting a pedometer. What MM basically is advocating is walking and increased general activity and short intensive bursts of exercise 3 times a week. Its seems to be inspired by the hunter gatherer lifestyle because i think its believed that’s our bodies have been best adapted for these types of activities. The latter will increase cardiac fitness and the other will give you all the other benefits of exercise. Doesn’t seem much emphasis on muscle mass. I guess just being active will will give you the mass you need. Anyway its a lot cheaper, more productive and efficient and easier i think. Though i haven’t got around to trying out the HIIT yet. Oh i was at the bone density clinic last week and the guy there told me he sees a lot of injuries from cross fit training. The thing is most people dive right in to intensive exercise (lots and lots of squats and pushing their bodies to the max without sufficient building up of technique and mushcle strength).

Anyway with the pedometer. about a week in i have found a way to make sure i am walking more. Every day i write down five jobs that need doing and try to do them instead of spending so much time on my computer. if i had to work 9-5 in an office, i’d have to find other little ways of getting more steps in like taking the long way around to the toilet etc. But i’m hoping that i can keep doing my 5 jobs for a long time. yesterday i got up to over 12000 steps without difficulty. The thing about a pedometer is that its inherently motivating.

Fasting food can be a lot more interesting than boiled eggs and lettuce but if you want a break from cooking, its probably a good choice.

Here’s a question, the website says I need 2200 cals a day to sustain my weight, obviously I don’t want to sustain it but lose it, how many calories should I drop that to?
    1800 hasn’t been working, how much more should I drop it?

When your TDEE is over 2000 calories a day, your fasting days should be 500 calories. If yoga re counting calories, non fast days should be either 2200 or less. I recommend reducing them a bit but not too much. You can recalculate as you go along. Start by eating at 2100 and when you notice the scale stops going down, reduce it a bit more. Its more sustainable to have a smaller calorie deficit, than a larger one. and i think its more sustainable to lose it a little more slowly and a little more steadily.

Are you going to keep doing Paleo? Do you follow it strictly? Why do you think you haven’t reached your goal? have you stopped calorie counting or watching what you eat? Obviousy it always comes down to calories in versus calories out.

Macandmui you are starving yourself unnecessarily. Eat something on fast days. 500 calories is what the 5:2 fast recommends for women.

Miss Lizzie, thanks for sharing your recipe. Also Try cooking salmon under the griller. Its delicious and needs no oil. I do recommend just rubbing a little salt into it first though. At least on one side. Stick it on a piece of aluminium foil skin side down and then you won’t have to worry about anything sticking to the tray. I don’t east the skin but the dog loves it.

The low fat tradition of advice is currently being turn on its head. I’ve read numerous things about it. Perhaps the most in-depth version is Good Calorie Bad Calorie by GAry Taubes. you may not want to read the book but you can read about the book. But here’s a good article posted by another member from this site.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?ref=health&_r=3

So when i make a salad or any dish, i tend to put in 1-3 tsp of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (which is a very healthy oil) per serve which improves the flavour of any recipe by leaps and bounds.

but i’m going to try to your dressing and see how i like it.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,551 through 2,600 (of 28,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply.