Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,911 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 5 hours, 18 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,401 through 21,450 (of 28,015 total)

• Hi all

Thin. 4am starts are not good. I can’t help wondering if you are planning the ultimate BIG Garage Sale. Hope you get better sleep soon.

Neil. Bad luck about that branch but good luck you still have both eyes. WOW You must be running out of goals. How is the clothing situation going, you must need a whole new batch now. I am seeing Biltong in our shops now, I will give it a try.

Anzac. What a nightmare of a boss. Is it worth sending an email to her re your issues rather than one on one where she gets to hijack the agenda. Just think of that lovely holiday your planning. That should help. How long are you going to be away? It’s good you can appreciate your assets and have a strategy for your FDs

Cinque. I hope that heater is fixed. I’m hearing of some very cold weather down in Melbourne. I believe heating is one of the things that landlords have to address quickly so if you have trouble, lay on the pressure. How are the girls going?

LJ. Those 10,000 step goals are quite challenging. Like Neil, I signed up for Steptember last year and even though I was still on holiday I found I had to devote quite a chunk of my day to achieving them. I was a very slow walker then and housework etc in a caravan doesn’t add up to much. I actually only achieved them for about 3 weeks. This year, now I am lighter and fitter I walk at a much brisker pace and I have also signed up for a more accurate app which actually uses GPS to track distance and I am determined to finish the challenge. You are doing well to get as far as you do considering your RA and to still do it even when you can’t get out is quite admirable.

Quakka. Those colleagues of yours are a pain. Remember that coffee mug and Roll your eyes loudly at them. You seem to have that mojo working.

Gday. Well done on all that good food shopping. Hope that you get good use from your spiraliser. I actually regret not bringing mine as I have a few recipes I’d like to make but don’t want to use pasta. That tip to add a small portion of pasta though is a great idea. Will try that when I get home.

Calif. you’re a genius. I don’t drink wine or soft drinks have too many calories although I have been known to drink the odd Bundy (Bundaberg Rum) and Coke. The idea of drinking kombucha instead solves a little problem of what to have when everyone else is having beer or wine. Some of the caravan parks have a Happy Hour get together in the evening and I don’t want to not have a drink with me. I have limes so I was going to have water with lime juice but the kombucha will give me variety.

Crazy. You are doing well. 46 years is fantastic. You must be doing something right.

Arrived in Yeppoon today. It is on the coast east of Rockhampton. Very wet pack up in Bargara, very wet drive, dry for setting up on arrival but has rained for most of the afternoon and evening. I thought that I would choose to do a FD when travelling but have actually found it works better if I don’t. Today I really felt like a treat but when I went into the shop and checked the calories of what was available(it was all packaged stuff) I found I couldn’t bear to buy it and OH says he was the same. My indulgence is a Jarrah hot chocolate but made with very little water and eaten very slowly with a spoon. We are staying here for two weeks, it’s nice to be settled for a while. The rain should go away soon.

Lindsay. Glad you are still here. Hope the convalescing is goin ok.

Hi all, good to be back again. Update on eating – has finally settled a bit, with 2 CDs the past 2 days. I’m trying for 4 B2B FD800s to finish off the month. To explain, after the stress leading to last Thursday, I had a small “no-problem but I’d scratched it half off” lesion removed from my back on Friday, with local anaesthetic and 7 stitches. Just couldn’t fast for a few days as the local knocked me sideways. Back doing exercises and better controlling my eating from yesterday.

LJoyce, chuckled at the story of the lady whose “steps” were those of her shih tzu. I remember being in a team for one of those competitions at work. it ran for a month, and after about 10 days, the only person still walking and entering steps was me; very disappointing.

Neilithicman, glad you still have an eye! Also, well done for being down to 100 kgs You’ve done an amazing job. Puts me a little to shame, but….. we all do what we can do.

Thinatlast, thinking of you, and hoping the challenges currently facing you are resolved so you can settle back to some degree of normality. Great you’re still doing 6:1 anyway. Are you one of those people who lose weight when under stress?

LJoyce, re distances walked, my fitbit seems to calculate the distance I walk based on my height. I know that for me, 10 minutes walking is 1200-1250 steps, due to my lack of height. I couldn’t use a GPS as I housewalk, and to combat the boredom, count my steps as I go. That’s actually quite useful, as now, if I’m out and about, if I know the number of steps I’ve walked, I know approximately how long I’ve been walking. I sometimes walk the length and back of my local shopping mall before doing any shopping. Going into all the nooks and crannies as I go means I can get a solid 20+ minutes walk done.

Talking of walking, did anyone see the Dr M. program where they checked whether doing 6 lots of 5 minutes walking was equivalent to 30 minutes done in one lot where fitness was concerned? – turns out 6 lots of 5 minutes, 3 lots of 10 minutes or 1 lot of 30 minutes has an equal effect on fitness. My aim is for a minimum of 8000 steps a day, but I actually try for around 9250, as that then has me reaching fitbit’s goal distance for me of around 6.4 kms.

Thanks to those who asked about my pulled muscle – mainly settled now, which is why I’m back onto the exercise. All good.

Anzac65, great progress with the weight, so good to see it finally moving downwards.

Thinking of downward weight, One of the clothing stores at the mall had 7/8 jeans on sale – officially ankle-length, but for a shortie like me, yay, normal length and no need to shorten them – I bought 3 pairs of jeans, $20 each, a total of $60 instead of $190, so I was really chuffed. The only thing is, I bought the size which was just too small, so I better jolly well lose some more weight or I won’t be able to wear them! Yes, they will fit properly when I’m a bit lighter, as 1. I’m currently wearing the next size up and they fit really well, and 2. I can already ooze into the new ones, but wouldn’t wear them until they’re a bit looser.

Sorry, lots of rambling. Tried to go back and read all the posts, but couldn’t keep them in my head.
    Good that Penguin is back, and tackling the weight gained in Portugal.
    Good that Quacka arrived home safely and loved her holiday.
    Good that Anzac65 is enjoying planning her big break away.
    Good that GoodDayfromSA found the food she wanted so can keep to the WOL on holiday.
    Hope CalifDreamer that your eating stays under control during your friends’ visit.
    Cinque, hope your heating is soon fixed.

Have a good week all.

Oh, forgot – hope, LaidsayL, that you are now recovering well from your pneumonia!

LindsayL! Misspelt the name, then misspelt the correction. Sorry.

Bless you LJ. 40C is, I think, France and northern Italy. It may be higher in SE England but the highest the Forest is forecast in the next two weeks is 27C, and no more rain – yesterday there was two inches of water on the road. Now, can I trust a weather forecast?

7.30am at Airport waiting for flight. They slapped a ‘HEAVY’ sticker on my luggage at check-in….lol. I hope the zip holds up as the suitcase was bursting at the seams as is my backpack. In my defence I do have some books and my laptop which are all work related so the weight is not all due to my shopping expeditions.

Good morning friends and fellow losers

What a difference a day makes. 1. I had such a good, controlled day yesterday without feeling deprived and it has had such a positive impact on my mental health and the scales! 85.1 this morning….so very close to 84’s. 2. A new person arrived from the UK to join the idiot vendor team and she is brilliant. My boss and I had 1.5 hours with her yesterday arvo and she made such a difference. We feel like we can maybe get this project back on track with her. The rest of them are only capable of three sentences each when we ask questions (they are here as subject matter experts about their system)

“I don’t know”
    “Why don’t you test it and find out”
    “I’m not an expert in that area”

Note that they cost between $1k and $2k per day EACH!

LJ, I try to do 10,000 steps per day but rarely achieve it during the week unless I WFH. So I just try to force myself to go for a good walk at lunch time regardless of the weather then focus on lots of steps on the weekend/WFH days. Thanks for the link to the calorie counter as I struggle to know how to measure things like lamb cutlets too. I laughed about the shih tzu having the pedometer around his/her collar. I should try it with Maxx

Klondi, I am so envious of your gorgeous trip. It must be so nice to be seeing lots of amazing places, being out in nature, meeting lots of new people and having social evenings with them. We are going away for 7 whole weeks in early December and I can’t wait. We are going to Lisbon, Morocco, London, Paris (for Christmas), Italy (NYE in Tuscany) then a week in the Seychelles to defrost. Poor hubby is doing all the planning and is totally stressed as it is a huge job. I’m going to make an enormous effort to help him this weekend. To make matters worse our home email stopped working yesterday and he spent all afternoon trying to recover it but it didn’t work. Computers!

BetsyLee, so glad your pulled muscle is better and you are able to get back into the exercise. That lesion removal sounded painful – ouch! I’ve had a few moles taken off my back but only with 1-2 stitches so 7 stitches is a lot. Sorry the local had a negative impact. What a bargain those jeans were! Size 7/8 is tiny and if that is only one size too small you must be looking great :) A girl at work gave me a brand new pair of Country Road pants that she bought and never wore as she lost weight and they became too big before she could get a chance to wear them. They are a 14 and way too small for me yet but she told me to keep them at motivation to get into them soon.

Quacka, I have few bugbears but one at the very top is when people comment on your food – especially negatively. What right do they have? I would have been very direct and told them that I was insulted and would appreciate it if they could keep their comments to themselves. On FD’s when I’m eating my salad sometimes someone will say ‘is that all you are having?’ to which I reply simply with ‘yes’ and find my headphones or turn back to whatever I’m reading.

Hi Penguin, I hope the really hot weather stays away from where you live and the rain stays away. Funny, it is going to be 21 here on Saturday and that is only 6 degrees lower than your high. But it is still freezing in the mornings and evenings here

Lovely that you had a successful shopping expedition whilst working in Adelaide G’day. Hope your trip home was uneventful

Glad work is better Neil

Hope you are feeling better Linsday

Hi Cali, yes I did know what I was getting myself in for but I thought it would just be hard work – not a circus! But after yesterday I am feeling much more positive and I could see that my boss was relieved too. Thanks for the tip about Kombucha – everyone talks about it but I haven’t tried it yet. I will get some for the weekend for sure as I too miss the taste of wine when I don’t have it for a while. Coles have a non-alcoholic wine that I like but it is so high in sugar I don’t buy it. The weather sounds perfect over there right now and I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

I wish I liked eggs as they are so good for you. But I had an allergy as a child and now the smell of them cooking makes me gag. I will eat an omelette provided it has lots of other elements such as ham, capsicum, cheese etc. And it has to be well cooked and not eggy. Yes I am a fusspot sometimes when it comes to food as you all know so well 

I hope your heating was fixed yesterday Cinque

Hi Thin, hope you are ok

A big hi to everyone I haven’t mentioned who may be lurking but not posting. Hang in there!

FD today and I’m hoping like mad that a nice 84.n appears tomorrow – official weigh-in day

Sorry for the enormous post!

Good morning, it is going to get to 18 today. Perfect.

My heater still isn’t fixed. I’m in public housing and they used to be excellent at getting things fixed quickly, but funding is stretched further these days, and after three days of waiting at home and spending 40 minutes on wait each time I ring to try and find out why they didn’t come when they said, I am accepting that I had better fit into the new way of working where they promise they will come and I promise to stay home, but then we both completely ignore our undertakings.
    I’ll go and get shopping done today and take it easy, and steel myself to ring again tomorrow.

Anzac, I’m glad that you have that good philosophy with your work and you will ride it out. I hope the presentation went well. Haha yes, you are in a sitcom there!

Quacka, I love what you said about ‘failed fast days’. Sometimes it works to jettison one and make it the next day, but mostly my philosophy is ‘Whoops! Fail! oh well there is another one coming up in a few days.”
    My failed fast days are usually still less intake than a normal eating day, so that is all to the good.

Re your rude friends, my sister was given a way to handle the passive aggressive putdowns in our family and it is something I keep in my head now. In your situation she would ask your workmates “Why are you making those comments about my food?” Why indeed?

I am also eating a lot of eggs at the moment, I have beautiful little fresh ones from my sisters chooks. Such a pleasure.

Hi Cali, they are selling varieties of kombucha at the cafe down the street labelling it ‘sugar free’. Not sure it can be. But so glad you have found that option. Especially the beetroot one. Glorious!

Betsy ouch! I had a mole off my back and it hurt a lot more than I expected. Good work getting back into the swing of your good eating regime, and your exercising too.

Klondi, lovely news. I’ve been to Yeppoon, I had friends there years ago. What a lovely place to spend two weeks.

Hi LJoyce, Neil, Merry, Thin. Hi Lindsay! Penguin, are you melting? Rosy are you still reading here? Gday I hope it is a good trip home. Best wishes everyone 🙂

I’m interested to know any history/story about everyone’s user names. Please share if you feel comfortable

Mine is easy. I’m an Aussie, hubby is a Kiwi and we were both born in 1965 (but I’m sure you all figured that out long ago!)

my name is Neil and I like puns, so neilithicman is a play on Neolithic man

I play way too much solitaire, Klondike is just one variety. Neil. I think yours is very clever

Mine im an artist i paint web site kerrysart.co.nz and all artists are a wee bit crazy hahaha

Oh my goodness Crazy, your art is spectacular! I am in total awe of your talent

Everyone, make sure you visit Crazy’s website

Good morning all.

Anzac, I think I’ve mentioned before that my name includes the first initial of my actual name “L” and the Joyce was the name my mother was known by in the family all her life – despite it not actually being her real name. It’s weird how that sometimes happens. I used to work with a lady called Beth – years later I discovered her real name was Elinor but she’d always been called Beth!
    Anzac I do understand your feelings about eggs. I’m the same with fish – I don’t like it when it smells/tastes fishy, it needs to be bland or obscured by other flavours. I can cope with tinned salmon or tuna, but couldn’t just eat it from the tin – it needs to be with other flavours.
    Anzac, that kilojoule counter site is really good for fresh ingredients but not for processed food and especially not specific brands – there are other sites (like Calorie King) that are better at that. I don’t like the American sites because their brands are unfamiliar and their measurements (cups, tablespoons) are smaller than ours, so it’s too easy to underestimate your calories.

Cinque, not fixing something as important as heating in the middle of winter sounds quite irresponsible to me. I will hope for a better response for you by Friday.

Klondi, it is meant to be the dry season up there, so hopefully you’ll see some nice weather soon. Maybe the lack of tempting treats is a good thing.

GDSA, hope you do have some nice purchases heading home with you.

Penguin, I must say a wet 27C sounds much more like what I expect from English summer weather.

Betsy, that sounds like quite a wound on your back. Glad to hear it’s healed well.

Hello to everyone else who’s reading.

Time I went for a walk. I’m just doing one today as I pushed myself too hard yesterday (11,000 steps) and my back was seriously unhappy with me by the time I got home from the second walk. As with all exercise there’s always a balance I need to find.

Hi all, fast day today. I haven’t been hungry today so I’ve resorted to some high protein/fat snacks. 50 grams of biltong, an ounce of cashews, a square of 95% cocoa chocolate and a gold kiwifruit. I’ve got some blue moki lined up for tonight and I’ll have either some coleslaw or some broad beans with it.

My name isn’t very original, it’s one I’ve used in the past for email. I was just trying to come up with something quickly and it’s all I could think of. One of the coolest names I’ve seen on a forum was a number of years ago. There was a limit of 8 letters. One guy used ‘DonkeyOT’. At first I just thought it an odd choice of names, until I figured it out.

FD is almost over. I really don’t like only a single day between FD’s, but it was the only way to fit it in this week. I’ll have to be careful #with 4 NFD’s and guests for the next few days.

Cinque, I hate it when repair people don’t show up when they’re supposed to. It’s one of my pet peeves. Lots of phone calls and whinging, coughing might help. You shouldn’t have to wait that long to get the heat fixed.

LJ, I thought it was just teaspoons that were different between the USA and Aus. Cups and tablespoons are different too? I never took that into consideration when I’m following a recipe from an Aussie site. But I don’t measure things very carefully anyway unless it’s for baking.

Crazy, your paintings are amazing! You are so talented. It looks like you live in a beautiful area. Of course, all the pictures I’ve seen of NZ look beautiful. Have you been painting for a long time?

Klondi, I’ve found that the non-alcoholic wines that aren’t watery tasting are too high in sugar too. I like alcohol and I like sugar, but I usually don’t like them together. The fancy Hawaiian drinks with fruit juices and little umbrellas in them were wasted on me when we were on holidays there. I ended up ordering plain wine. Is anyone else like that? The kombucha isn’t too sweet because the sugar is fermented out. It has some kick to it even if it isn’t alcohol. Actually, the label says it can contain up to .5% alcohol by volume, probably because of the fermentation process. A few years ago they were pulling a bunch of bottles from the store shelves because the alcohol got too high in some brands. I guess they’re more careful now.

Cinque, if the kombucha they were selling at the cafe was really sugar free it would taste like vinegar. I used to let mine sit too long sometimes and it would get like vinegar. It wasn’t acidic enough to put on a salad, but too sour to drink. I did keep some of it for months and it got more acidic. Did anyone here ever use raw vinegar and wine to make wine vinegar? I actually got a ‘mother’ or culture to grow in some once, but then didn’t look at it for a long while and the next time I looked it had grown mold on it, so I didn’t have much luck with it.

I was in a ground branch of the RAF. A penguin is a bird that doesn’t fly.

LJ, It has been higher than 27C here and will be again. The weather is much more erratic and extreme than it used to be – some places had over a month’s rain in a day last week. Global warming will make our winters colder in the long run. If the ice caps continue to melt the warm water North Atlantic Drift/Gulf Stream will switch off and our winters will go Maritime Canadian or Iceland. The computer modelling suggests that this will happen in a single year. Which is why our government has committed us to the fastest zero carbon emission target yet set.

OH and I went into town to the theatre last night to see “Dead Dog in a Suitcase” – a combination of a New York street myth and a rewrite of “The Threepenny Opera”. Very dramatic, amoral and noisy. Seriously weird and we enjoyed it. We had a meal and a glass of wine first and this morning my weight is down?

Hi all, good to read all your posts – my username is a “pet” name my mother used for me occasionally when I was young. She also called me “SusieSal”, but I prefer the other.

Anzac65, about the 7/8 jeans – alack, not the size (I wish!!!) but the length – they are 7/8ths of the length of normal jeans, so I don’t need to shorten them. They are actually sizes 12 & 14 (different styles, so a difference in size). Currently I’m wearing a range of size 14 & size 16 jeans, size 12 to 14 tops. But speaking of sizes, you’re nearly there under the 85 kg barrier – well done!

Re the stitches on my back – I was actually surprised that the doctor put in 7 stitches as the lesion was quite small – apparently the excision wound is a wedge shape about an inch long. Anyway, the pain of the wound has been settling which has allowed me to exercise, and the stitches come out on Thursday next week.

Cinque, how frustrating that the heating folk have still not come. Brr!

Loving all the travel descriptions people are posting. Was it Klondikekween with the bulging baggage? I empathised, as when going to and from China years ago I was always carrying extra books for teaching. I was often given an extra 10 kgs allowance to take my teaching books to China.

Okay, better go organise some food for dinner, so bye for now.

Yesterday’s question was “Can I trust the weather forecast for the next 14 days.” Answer “No”. The forecast for the weekend has changed already.

Just home from babysitting and waiting for my dinner to warm up.

Cali, The reason for the differences in our measures, is that the Aus measures are based on metric and US are based on imperial. US and Aus teaspoon measures are exactly the same – both 5ml or 1/6 fluid ounce. However our tablespoons are 20ml or 4 tsp and yours are half a fluid ounce which is only 15ml or 3 tsp – this difference can really mess up a baking recipe! Our cups are 250ml (1/4 litre) but yours are 8 fluid ounces which I think is approx 235ml. I just automatically adjust any recipe on an American website. The cups are easy as my measuring cup has both metric ml and imperial fluid ounces. Tablespoons are the one I have to carefully translate to make sure I don’t make an error.

Penguin, if a night at the theatre has such a beneficial result on the scales, you need to go more often.

Betsy, I was wondering about the 7/8 jeans – I thought they might be an American brand. One of these days I’m going to buy American jeans so I can pretend I’m a size 10!

Neil , sounds like a successful FD – you’ll be in double digits before you know it.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea
    Mid morning: banana and 2 tsp nut butter
    Lunch: chicken noodle soup, toasted wholemeal sourdough and 2 soft boiled eggs
    Mid afternoon: 3 seed crackers with cheddar cheese and slivers of date-walnut log
    Dinner: chilli con carne, mixed veggie mash, peas. Dessert is stewed fruit and yoghurt.
    Supper: hot milk drink

Fast day for me tomorrow.

And for further confusion. US and Imperial weights are the same but volumes are not. The gallons are different and therefore so are the quart and pint. In aviation there is a piece of folk law about the advanced joint US/European system that failed because one side was working in US and the other in metric measurements. Probably an urban myth.

Veggie recipes for anyone wanting more ideas:
    https://www.instagram.com/riverford/?hl=en
    This is actually the instagram page for Riverford – a British organic veggie grower. About half of the pics on their instagram page are for recipe idea for veg. If you click on the picture you like the look of and scroll to the top of the text you’ll find the recipe. Recipes are mostly vegetarian rather than vegan. If you login to instigram you can also access their specific link to just recipes.

Good morning all, a partly cloudy day in Sydney with a top of 20. It was only 9 degrees when we jumped in the car to take me to the station this morning. Brrrr.

I was a bit late from work last night – late for me but not late compared to the hours some people are working. It’s crazy. I just checked and some of the team have only been offline for 8 hours which means they were here until midnight. I left at 5.15pm instead of my official finish of 4.00pm but I do start up to 3 hours before most people. Anyway hubby came to pick me up at the station instead of me jumping on the bus. Maxx of course insisted on coming too so when I walked out from the platform the hatch was up with Maxx peering out and grinning at everyone coming off the train. Hubby had to keep a tight hold on his collar to stop him leaping out to greet everyone. It’s a small, suburban station where you walk straight off the platform onto the footpath and there is a little section where people can park and wait. He got lots of smiles and a few pats and generously gave anyone who came up a good hand wash. It’s nice to see that a cute friendly dog can bring out the best in commuters who were all probably feeling like I was – cranky and tired. But 10 seconds with a dog who is quivering and leaping for joy that you are home makes everything better 🙂

Anyway….news. 84.9 this morning! Happy dance! I’m not getting carried away because there is quite likely to be a small (or worse) correction after my 4 NFD’s in a row but I will work hard to avoid that. We have a big lunch tomorrow for a friends birthday but I’ll go for a big walk first and skip brekkie.

LJ/Penguin/Cali – I had no idea that tablespoon and cup etc measurements were different between Aus the US. Thinking about it of course it should due to metric vs imperial but it just never occurred to me. I have a little book at home in which I keep my recipes and I’ll put your conversions in the front LJ. Thanks

I’m so sorry your poor back is playing up LJ. I think I mentioned that my Mum suffered from RA as well as osteoporosis in her back and she was very brave, like you, but you could see how much she suffered and it broke my heart.

I think the poor meteorologists are finding it harder and harder to get their forecasts correct Penguin due to the increasingly erratic behaviour. Happily our forecast for tomorrow is holding true with sunny and 20 as we are dining at a beachside restaurant where you can practically throw a stone into the water from your table. I am so looking forward to it

So sorry BetsyLee – looking back I should have realised that 7/8 meant the length. My goal is to fit into size 14 clothes from the every day clothing section and never to have to venture into the plus-size section ever again. Glad your wound is healing and you can get out and exercise again.

I had to re-read and have a think about DonkeyOT but once I sounded it out slowly I got it. Very clever indeed. I don’t like having 4 NFD’s in a row either but I’m a bit stuck with it. My Dad comes on Mondays and I don’t want to fast Fri, Sat or Sun so I just try to be extra super controlled on NFD’s during the week then have a bit of a pause from it all on Sat and Sun. It does undo me regularly when the ‘pause’ translates to ‘EAT ALL YOU CAN WOMAN’ in my silly head. I like your username – I think it is uber cool and I do love that song. Now I’m showing my age 🙂

Have a great day everyone

Good morning everyone, I’ve indulged myself with a read of most of the posts on this page. At least enough to find out what’s happening in your lives. Klond, what a fabulous trip you’re having. Anzac, glad you finally have someone who knows what’s going on to help at work. Not long until your fantastic trip. So pleased to read about your weight. Betsy, back on track, keep on keeping on and Lindsay, so sorry to read about your pneumonia. LJ and Cinque, holding it all together. Penguin dodging the 40C European weather. CalifD, I like trying to work out car registration cryptics. I’m OK, thanks so much those who gave me a mention. Yes, it is something akin to a massive garage sale. There’s a big clue for you and I will fill you in soon.

Betsy, I think that, before 5:2, I would have been one of those who comfort ate when upset or under stress (although I rarely use the word ‘stress’ because I don’t like it). My relationship with food has changed dramatically in the almost 5 years that I’ve been practicing IF. Now I find I just cannot eat even when I feel hungry. I am stable at 56.5kg so 6:1 will work for now and will keep me in the routine.

As for ‘thinatlast’, I was about 83kg when I chose that with tongue in cheek as a last ditch effort to finally conquer my weight. I must have had a lot of faith in what I’d read about 5:2. And then I fulfilled the prophecy. Thank you Dr M., I’m eternally grateful. My neighbour heard him speak in Perth recently through her work and was impressed. She’s the doctor who started 5:2 the same week as I (unbeknown to either of us at the time).

Omg Thin, you are moving to Portugal!
    Or Zambia?

I just emailed DHHS maintenance, much less stressful than waiting on the phone for 40 minutes to talk to someone who is unable to do anything but pass on bullshit from the contractors. I am well set up with my dimplexheater. It is just Miso the cat who finds it hard to have an extra shut door betweeen her and where we wants to go. Last of the glorious sunny days for a while so she is outside making the most of it.

Anzac, number 5 has always been special to me as I am the fifth child (of 7) and one of 5 sisters. I had started learning Italian just before I started 5:2 (one continued, one didn’t) and loved their way of saying 5. Cinque. Also, I’d been in a couple of other forums and knew the advantage of a short name.
    Note, it is not pronouned ‘sink’ 😉

Crazy, is there anything you don’t do superlatively? Such lovely paintings. I looked through them going ‘I like the animals best, no the landscapes, no the still life…. I love them all.

Cali, haha yes you are right about the kombucha. I am going to have a little conversation with them about it next time I am in there.
    It took me a while to get DonkeyOT too. Such a lovely chuckle when it is worked out.

Penguin, eep with the climate changes, at least your govt is waking up. That sounds a great night out at the theatre. Interesting things to think about. And how lovely of your weight to be down after a happy night of wine and a meal out.

Betsy I bet the seven stitches are because there is such a pull on your back as you move (daughter of a doctor and ex assistant to him here). Big danger of them not holding if there aren’t enough. Best wishes for a lovely exercise and perfect eating day today.

Really interesting to hear the background of the differences with US measurements. I knew the differences but not why. I have been enjoying (fairly old) Delia Smith series on tv and loved seeing her enormous tablespoon, about twice the size of the dinky little measuring one I use. My mum never had a set of measuring spoons, when they said tablespoon she used the tablespoon (used for serving) and when they said dessertspoon she used a dessert spoon.

Anzac, lovely to read about Max delighting the morning commuters, and woot woot woot! You are in the low 80’s!

Thin, isn’t it a treat that you made your name reality.

Best wishes for today, everyone.

Good evening SHs

Thin, if you are getting your house ready to sell I know how much work it involves. I hope you get things sorted more easily than you expected.

Cinque, I actually still have my mum’s metal cooking spoons. When I use the very old recipes that were hand written by her or nana,s I know that a tablespoon means the big metal one. I also know that a cup meant a teacup that had lost its handle and had been relegated to being used to measure sugar and flour (it’s definitely smaller than a metric cup). I can still remember that the handleless teacup that lived in my nana’s huge sugar tin had a pink thistle pattern on it. I even managed to find the exact pattern online (as I remember it): https://imgur.com/a/zxSaNQP
    Thankfully most of their dry ingredient measures were all in ounces rather than cups which means a bit less guess work for me.

It’s been an unusually easy FD where I ate because it was time to rather than because I had an appetite. That doesn’t happen often. I also decided not to have my usual soup. I had some grilled field mushrooms and blanched asparagus reserved from earlier in the week. Tonight I panfried a 100g piece of chicken breast and then warmed the veggie through when it was cooked. It made a really nice change from soup and felt quite filling.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend planned. I have a fairly quiet one planned, but that’s ok as I’m babysitting all day Monday (teacher’s strike) so I’d prefer to do that feeling rested.

Hi all. My username is fairly obvious. Gday from South Australia.

Ljoyce my mum never had measuring spoons or cups either. I still have her tablespoon and 2 large metal containers that held plain flour and SR flour as Mum was a big cake/dessert maker. I can recall the teacup she used to measure with as well. I have a lot of mums old cooking bits and pieces. My most treasured are 2 heavy mixing bowls which have stood the test of time as they belonged to my nanna and I use them regularly.

I also have a China cabinet which was a wedding present from my nanna and papa to mum and dad. It is stuffed full of China, Crystal etc from the last 3 generations. My sister was given my nannas China cabinet many years ago and then he sold it to a stranger for $10. I was disgusted with what she had done and so was mum. Didn’t even offer it to anyone else in the family. My sister does not have a sentimental bone in her body – we are like chalk and cheese.

Today’s FD went well until I arrived home from work and ate approx 10 jelly babies. I’d had nothing all day except fluids and I just could not resist having one. Of course once I ate one I had to have more. Dinner was chicken curry and brown rice.

We’re off for a drive in the hills tomorrow as OH has bought me a beautiful old teacup, saucer, plate set from a private seller online so we are off to pick it up. I have a few odd old fashioned teacups and plates but no matching sets. Although I have 2 matching sets in the China cabinet which were my nannas ‘special sets’ she used for ‘special visitors only’ I had to swear I’d never use them – for display purposes only !!

Gee I’ve gone on a bit haven’t I. Time for a peppermint tea. OH is watching the footy so reading time for me.

A quick hello, day before fast day. Rainy grey Melbourne here today. I’m with little miss 2 so might leave in the middle of a sentence.

Lovely to read of other mum’s measuring implements. Beautiful things.

I watched the doctor episode on food https://iview.abc.net.au/show/ask-the-doctor right from the start, but was even more critical. They went through all the latest diets and said “there are four we wouldn’t recommend” and a minute later said they were testing 4 of them to show the pros and cons, so I am guessing they are the four they don’t recommend.
    They said the criticism of 5:2 is that most people find it isn’t sustainable, and then have the couple doing it, and also going cold turkey off alcohol, and have limited calories on the other 5 days. Well I’m guessing they might find it isn’t sustainable for the long term.
    I do take your point LJoyce, about not overeating on NFD’s, but they had no nuance in there.
    I’ll wait and watch part 2, maybe they will redeem themselves.

Well, I’ve been able to write this as miss 2 is playing with my ipad. I know, I know! But she had just fallen and bumped her head. Okay no excuses, I will go and interact with her! (Been interacting since half past 5 mind). Cheers all.

Good morning from a very wet Adelaide. It was my turn to be work through the night, by the heavy rain pelting my colourbond roof.

I haven’t weighed myself for quite a while but I do take my measurements at least once a month. Mine are down a little on last month (1-2cm off each area), but still above where I want to be. I think the extra walking this week has helped as it gets my TDEE up a bit. It will be more difficult with the rainy weather but I need to not use that as an excuse to sit a lot. I do find that using the pedometer on my phone helps as it stirs up my competitive streak and I want to beat yesterday’s number. I’m not into gadgets but I may even consider buying a pedometer as having to carry my iphone everywhere feels weird and I do keep forgetting to keep it on me when I’m in the house.

GDSA, I have quite a collection of trios (cup-sauce-plate sets), most were my mothers but a few were from other family members too as they know I love old china. I keep mine in a little art deco china cabinet that my dad made in trade school in the 1930s when he was doing his carpentry-cabinetmaker apprenticeship. I do use my trios, although there are a couple that I don’t because I couldn’t bear it if I broke them and I am clumsy. I don’t understand your sister’s behaviour. If I no longer want a family item I offer it to my niece or nephew and one of them is usually happy to have it.

Cinque, I agree with your comments about the Ask the Doctor review of diets. They are being very perfunctory with the instructions.
    I suppose that I felt more comfortable with them saying they needed to restrict calories on NFDs (although they didn’t specify to what level), because that’s exactly what I had to do to lose weight on 5:2.

I could not eat “normally” on my NFD and lose weight, because “normal” was above my TDEE. If I eat “normally and sensibly” on 5:2 I maintain my weight, I don’t lose weight. That’s because eating to my low TDEE has never felt “normal” to me, it feels restricted and different to what I observe everyone else eating. If I eat in a way that I consider “normal and sensible” I end up in the 1600-1800cal range and that just cancels out my two FDs. To lose weight I need to have 1300-1500 cals on NFDs and that requires restrictions to what I eat. I know this isn’t everyone’s experience with 5:2 but it is mine. I think it depends partly on your TDEE and also what your “normal” eating history has been. I find it a perfect fit for me as a maintenance tool as it allows me to feel like I’m eating in a normal, mostly healthy way, on my NFDs without feeling restricted other than on FDs.

As as I didn’t have a lot to lose when I started 5:2 I did get the weight off, but it was very slow. It took me 12 months to lose my 9kg target loss and the majority of that loss was in the first month when I was doing 4:3 – most months on 5:2 I lost less than 0.5kg per month. I hope to never need to consider doing 800 cal every day again, but for me it was the only diet that maintained a reasonable rate of weight loss when I had a lot to lose. I’m glad we now have Fast800 as an option because for those with a lot to lose and/or low TDEEs something that achieves quicker results can keep you committed. If I need to deal with small fluctuations in my weight I will happily just use 5:2, but it is always the NFDs where I have to temporarily cut back to lose a kilo or two. I am realistic about what to expect and I know that even getting a couple of kilos off many take me several months. As I am mentally in maintenance mode and not thinking of dieting or weight loss that’s fine.

I need to get moving, I’ve promised my aunt I’d be her driver this afternoon as my uncle is in hospital again.

Have a nice Saturday all.

Having one couple doing a diet is hardly a meaningful scientific survey. Yes some people may not find 5:2 manageable and need to find something that works for their body, but it sure as hell is something my body has responded to. We’re all wired differently when it comes to storing and burning up fat.

Neil, I agree that one coupled is not a scientific sample. I doubt the “Ask the Doctor” series is meant to be serious science – it’s definitely focused on the short attention span and low boredom threshold of the average tv viewer.

My day worked out quite well. Despite the persistent rain not allowing me to walk outside I still managed to get over my minimum target of 5000 steps per day by doing lots of laps of my long hallway.

NFD Fess Up:
    Breakfast: pot of tea, banana and 2 tsp nut butter
    Late morning: small bowl of cereal with bran and almonds
    Lunch: 2 boiled eggs and toasted rye sourdough
    Mid afternoon: Pot of tea. Two slices fruit-walnut NAS sourdough, toasted & buttered.
    Dinner: Massaman beef curry with freekeh grains, peas, beans and pappadams. Dessert is stewed fruit and yoghurt.
    Supper: hot milk drink

Despite my last FD being Friday I’m actually going to do another FD tomorrow. Due to the teachers’ strike I’m babysitting 8am-4pm Monday and I find it too challenging to do a FD when I have the kids all day. So the FD needed to be either tomorrow or Tuesday. As I have no plans for tomorrow, other than walking and an afternoon cuppa with my best friend, a FD is very feasible. It will also stop me having a sweet treat for afternoon tea. I find it’s something I usually hanker after on weekends.

Goodnight all.

Good morning, lovely Sunday fast day for me, and there is a bit of sun this morning.

Snap LJoyce, I’m fasting today and looking after a kiddie tomorrow (school/kinder holidays here).

A rest and reset fast day, I plan to appreciate every minute.

Neil, re that program, I was bristling with their ‘one couple doing each diet’ but I guess at least they weren’t quite saying it was research.
    As far as I can see they want to show that these four diets are not recommended and have thought about how to make it into an interesting program, decided that a couple trying each one and talking about it would be engaging, but they will shape it as hard as they can to make it show what they want. Not the way I like seeing science on the TV!

LJoyce, I am interested to know how many people find 5:2 works without adjusting what is eaten on ‘normal’ days. I don’t know of any. But my experience is limited to my friends who started me on 5:2 (they don’t do it any more and have regained their weight and more) and people on this thread who pretty well all use 5:2 as a tool that gives a sustainable framework that allows changes to be made to non fast days which get us down to our healthy weight and keep us there.

Because of this, I think 5:2 is all about being sustainable. As my friend said, you can do anything for just one day. And then you can do that one day, twice a week, for ever. So to hear the main criticism of 5:2 being that it isn’t sustainable goes against all my knowledge and experience of it.

If their criticism was that it doesn’t lead to weight loss if people are overeating on NFDs, or that people don’t generally take a long term view with it, I’d agree. But their criticism is that it isn’t sustainable. I do think it may not be sustainable for people with stressful jobs and hectic families who rely on takeaway, so maybe that is what they will show. But surely I’m not the only person who does 5:2 because it is the one way of eating that I find IS sustainable?

And yes, LJoyce, you put it beautifully. They dumb down science until it really isn’t science. Catalyst (science show in that time slot) did it too.

Hello Thin, and all the other Sunday fasters. Hello everyone having a sensible normal eating day, full of veggies! Hello Maxx wowing everyone at training.

Hello back Cinque. Fasting with you today. Guess what, your guess is close! Loved the last series of Endeavour. But I feared ‘our’ Thursday was going to let us down. I couldn’t work out why Wynifred was being so beastly to Fred! I must have missed the first episode and assume he ‘lost’ some of their money in a shonky deal? I do love that show. Ah, the small pleasures of life!

5:2 is sustainable! I love what your friend said about being able to do anything for one day and then doubling it. This works. But only if you actually practice it! It’s just a question of how badly you want it.

LJ, have your bridge lessons finished now and have you joined the club to begin your supervised play?

Morning im fasting too… as im a fairly new starter here and reading your scientific posts, i have it in my head, 5-2 isn’t a diet, its a lifestyle change, i dont think we go off it, we use it forever, im doing 4-3 and yes i eat lots on my non days but and its a big but, im still noticing how lose everything is so till it stops working i will continue, remember im unable to exercise.. if it works you use it, if not you change parts of it to make it work again

Im kinda down reading what you are posting, nobody but me is noticing anything different you guys have all so far achieved your owm personal goals or are damn close to them, it is wonderful please dont let amyone take this away from you im leaking …
    please go back to the wonderful posts you send

Hi all

Betsy. I hope all is well with your back, if you are exercising then you must be feeling ok. Not me with the bulging suitcase, just a slightly bulging caravan. I’ve done well with clothes shopping along the way so have far more than I need.

Penguin. Weather forecasts can be a bit of a joke. I hope you are missing the worst of the heat and you can avoid that climate change of a Canadian winter. Many years ago I worked backstage for a season of Threepenny Opera. Took the whole run for me to appreciate even small parts of it, challenging theatre.

Gday. Your pantry will be looking very inviting, you must be looking forward to some tasty meals. My mum never used scales, or ‘proper’ measuring cups etc. we also had a cups without handles and used ‘rule of thumb’ guides if recipes had weights. I think a cup of flour was 1/2 pound or 8ozs (250g). What was truly amazing was that she cooked in a wood stove and when making cakes, she would open the firebox, look at the fire and judge whether it was the right temperature, adding a log or not. She rarely had a failure. 10 jelly babies, how terrible.

Anzac. Way to go, 84 is a good number. Perhaps Maxx could get a job as a greeter. Your fellow travellers would definitely have gone home in a better mood. Looks like you might have turned a corner, new input for your job and breakthrough on the scales. Your lunch venue sounds a bit like some we are enjoying, what is it about a view of the sea which is so satisfying? Your trip sounds wonderful, when we did a big OS trip I had a ball planning it, I thought of it as the best computer game I had played. OH will be very proud when it all comes together and any hiccups will just make it more exciting.

Cinque. I’m glad you are able to warm at least one area to live in and Miso will surely cope with a lamb skin to sleep on. I haven’t watched the TV Program all the way through yet but so many of these shows are only ‘pop’ science even the beloved Dr M just skims the surface. Yeppoon is not only a pleasant holiday destination, it has quite a nice feel, with two amateur theatre groups, a number of very successful football teams of both codes and other signs of a vibrant community which doesn’t just exist for tourism. So far, OH is still losing weight despite the fact that he is not changing his NFD eating, although occasionally he has made good decisions about portion size or snacks. As he gets smaller this might need to change but it makes it easier at the moment to keep going for him.

Crazy. You certainly are an artist, what lovey pictures. I’m with Cinque, I don’t know which I would choose as my favourite. You certainly are a high achiever. It must be difficult for you when others don’t notice any difference. Since you can’t show your thinner waist and other changes the way we can, you aren’t getting the positive feed back that we all thrive on. With all your achievements, you are obviously someone who doesn’t let anything stop you so keep going, share what you wish with us and we will keep cheering you on.

LJ. I agree re baking. My bread improved out of sight when I made sure I was using the correct tablespoon measure. I have the handwritten recipe of the family Christmas pudding which probably dates to my grandmother and it includes a ‘packet of mixed spice’. My memory is that the little cardboard box of mixed spice was about the size of a match box, probably about a tablespoon. Watched the footy last night which was in Adelaide (the Bulldogs won – yeh) and the rain was horrendous and apparently had been like that all day. You are having a wet spell. You are quite right about the weather here, after our wet start it has been lovely here, mild and still. Do you have a planned day for your long kid wrangling session, I have found some great ideas on Pinterest for simple activities, many which use items you already have.

Neil. I’ve tried the biltong and quite like it. Mustn’t get it mixed up with Bobby’s kangaroo treats, it looks and smells much the same

Cali. I like ‘DonkeyOT’. My favourite car registration was on a black Jeep. It was ‘Baa Baa’.

Thin. Do I get the prize? Is the big “I’m really retiring “ happening? If so, no wonder you are feeling the pressure. Will you be meeting Penguin when he is on holiday? So many questions but no need to answer, we can all imagine our own future for you. Re Endeavour, Thursday lent his savings to his shonky brother in the last series, who promptly lost them. I’m sorry for Mrs Fred but this way we get more Mr Fred.

Enjoying Yeppoon, nice and flat for jogging, easy walking to town. Finally got my knitting going, nice big hoodie jumper for Mr 4 to start with. OH was 101k this morning which he is happy with. He forgot it was a FD on Thursday and had a glass of wine. The look on his face was priceless when I reminded him. He was genuinely contrite. I am down to 68k, only 5k to go.

Good morning fellow fasters.

Thin, the official bridge lessons ended a week ago, so we are now learning practical things like: how to put data into a Bridgemate, which couples rotate tables and in what direction etc. We had our first attempt at normal play, still in the training, room last Friday. We had 3 tables of trainees and we played 9 boards. I don’t know how my pair did as they only told us which N/S and E/W pairs came first – not us. Unfortunately my table played one less board than everyone else because one member of the final pair we played was so slow.
    It’s going to be scary when we go to the big hall and join normal play as there are many things about bidding we haven’t been taught yet. I’ve been trying not to jump ahead of lessons by reading new material online, but I think I need to start doing that now.

Cinque, have a nice restful day before babysitting duties. My modest plans for the day involve a couple of shortish outdoor walks and making a pot of soup. School holidays start in a week here so I’m sure I’ll have days when I’m needed then too.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Good morning Klondi and Crazy – as usual I take so long to write my post a few others arrive while I’m doing so.

Had to pop back when I saw you mention Endeavour, Thin.
    SPOILERS Klondi if you haven’t caught the final one yet..
    I wasn’t enjoying this season so much because I couldn’t adore Inspector Thursday as I wanted to, and it was generally depressing and everyone at odds. I hated seeing the Thursdays, I thought Win was angry with Fred because he lost their life savings, but loved that it turned out that was just what he thought. I loved, loved, loved the final episode. And I especially loved Chief Superintendent Bright who couldn’t have been more heroic. And when he said “They may have corrupted CID, but they didn’t get to Traffic.” My heart nearly burst.

I am enjoying my one warm room, the warmth is nicer than the space heater which wasn’t good at warming up the whole house anyway. And I am having a quiet lovely day thanks.

Crazy, it is weird how no-one notices. I spent about a year marvelling in small changes in the mirror and my clothes, changes that got bigger and bigger, and still no-one noticed, until I got to some arcane level and suddenly everyone was commenting and amazed and soon moved into concern that I was starving myself.
    I had to just ride it through: first until they noticed and second until they got used to it. Now it is only when I meet someone I haven’t seen for years that I get an impressed reaction.

Klondi, I think Yeppoon must have grown a bit in the last 30 years! But what a lovely place to be staying, and cheers to Mr Klondi as a good example of plain 5:2 working well. Cali’s sister Crickets is another one, I realise!

Bye now

PS Thin, Kenya?

Hi Crazy Just had a thought. Can you wear your old t-shirt and take a photo followed by successively smaller t-shirts until you are in one which is slightly too small? This can be your ‘scales’. Then keep doing this as you progress and you will see the difference and maybe others as well. I had lost over 10 kilos before anybody commented and I thought I looked quite different. You have been married for 46 years, had 3? children and have at least three stimulating careers. This is easy compared to those achievements.

Good afternoon

What a stunner of a weekend (as forecast). Sunny and 20/21

We missed dog training this morning! Maxx always wakes up between 6.30 and 7.00 so we don’t bother with an alarm but we went to bed a bit later than normal as we were watching the cricket and we all slept in. Maxx woke at 8.00 and we normally leave for training at 7.45. And we will miss next week too as we have friends staying over on Saturday night. Bummer.

I’ve read everyone’s posts – including yours Thin…..curiouser and curiouser. I can’t wait to hear what you are planning. I’m guessing maybe DD landed a vet job ‘somewhere’ and you and your OH have decided to up sticks and go with her? Just a mad guess

Crazy, I’ve lost 14 kilos and barely anyone has noticed – mainly because it has taken me a year and a bit to do it. I’m ok with it because I like the smaller me and when I lose another 10 I’m sure someone will notice. It is harder for you of course, which is sad. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary 🙂

As always, my weekend has vanished in an endless stream of chores, dog playing and cooking. Our lunch yesterday was cancelled due to two of my friends coming down with the flu and I was very thankful to be honest (for the cancellation, not their illnesses!). While I was looking forward to it I also desperately wanted a quiet weekend. The last one was back to back work/social events and next weekend is even worse. I have my gorgeous great-niece’s first birthday in the mountains on Saturday lunch time then friends arriving late Saturday arvo for dinner and playing board games until quite late and as mentioned they will stay the night.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend friends, chat tomorrow

I had to come back this evening because I’d asked so many questions.

Anzac, so funny that Maxx slept in and missed his training! Wow, 14kgs – well done!

LJ, thanks for the latest on bridge. At least you got taught how to use the Bridgemate; we didn’t. Nor the little ‘table rules’ which we had to pick up from more experienced players, each with their own personal versions but all expressed with great conviction!

Klond, thanks for the reminder about what happened with Insp. Thursday in the previous series. I’d forgotten that. I may have missed some episodes due my TV no longer being supported by iView.

Cinque, I enjoyed what you wrote about this series and especially the last episode. Thank you.

Ha ha, you’re a funny lot and very clever. I wish I were moving to Zambia, Cinque. Anzac, I confirm that DD interviewed for four positions in the UK during one week and was offered all four of them. It was a tough choice for her but, yes, she leaves for England in early August.

I must get back here properly soon. I miss hearing what’s happening with everyone. Successful FD for me with a freezer portion of Mexican Chicken Soup. I’ve dipped to another all time low of 56.4kg this morning but I wanted to keep the routine of FDs going. And, as Merry reminded me, we have changed our thinking of what is ‘normal’ weight over the decades so I’m sure I’m fine. Despite all this loss, I STILL have that oblique ‘crease’ on either side of my stomach, a fold of skin that prevents me from having a ‘flat’ stomach (unless I stretch my arms very high and suck in my stomach).

Klondi, OH, DS and I were just laughing about your posting of that BAA BAA car registration on a black Jeep. We agreed it’s the best one we’ve heard of so far. One that I saw years ago was XQQQQME. Another one was WE RL8. And GA2BME. Our old vet’s plate: DOGTOR. A Mercedes plate: SHE WON.

Our guests left around noon today. It was an enjoyable 3 days but we all ate too much. I don’t even want to see the scales today. Good thing tomorrow is a FD. I really need to settle down some of my out of control NFD’s. I don’t like the feeling of having overeaten, so why do I keep doing it?

The first 2 seasons of ‘Outlander’ are on Netflix here now and our friends hadn’t seen it and didn’t realize Netflix had it (We had to subscribe to STARZ to watch it a couple years ago and will subscribe again for season 5 in the Fall). We watched the first episode with them which got them hooked already, so they’ll watch it at home. It’s surprising how much I forgot over the past 2 years. We also watched ‘You’ll always be my maybe” on Netflix. That was light, funny and a cute movie.

Crazy, I lost about 13 kg to get to my goal weight and I don’t recall anyone outside of my immediate family ever commenting on it other than two people saying I looked too thin. (59kg for a person who is 165cm tall is definitely not too thin!) I think sometimes acknowledging someone else’s weight loss makes people uncomfortable with their own weight. Or maybe they just don’t pay that much attention to weight. I like Klondi’s idea of keeping a set of t-shirts in declining sizes to measure your weight loss. Because we see ourselves every day, we sometimes don’t remember how big we were when we started. As you lose you’ll get lots of motivation from ever smaller clothing sizes and simply from the way you feel.

Anzac, you’ve now lost more kg’s than I did to get to my goal weight. You should feel very good about that. The closer you get to your goal, the more motivation you’re likely to feel. You should buy your clothes from the USA. Our sizes are smaller than yours. 😁 I think my size 4/6 is about the same as your 10/12. Thin, you must have gone down a size now that you’re 56.4. Have you had to purchase a few new clothes?

I went op shopping with my friend who was visiting on Friday. We found another good shop in the next town. I found a couple new pairs of jeans and 2 Fall tops. I was looking for some Summer tops but just have to buy things when you see them. I bought the jeans a bit snug since I’m about 2-3kgs over where I should be. The mirrors in the fitting rooms were very unkind I might add! It was good motivation for my NFD’s going forward.

Cinque, do you have a date for when your heater will be repaired? I think you may have to put Miso on the phone if they don’t get there soon! I have a feeling Miso would not be as kind and polite as you are and would likely have a few hisses for them. 😮

LJ, thank you for new new recipe link. I love those types of sites for ideas when I can’t think of what to make on NFD’s. I tend to make a lot of the same old things over and over and I feel like I’m getting in a rut.

Penguin, I hope Mrs.P’s foot is improving and she doesn’t overdo the activity on it while it’s trying to fully heal. I hope your temperatures are still staying moderate there. So much of Europe is unbelievably hot. I hope it cools down tomorrow.

Hope you’re all having a great Monday.

Hello SW friends, another Monday morning rolls around. Another sunny day but cooler – only 18 today and it was 6 DEGREES when we got in the car this morning. GAH!

Cali, I was about to tipple into triple figures when I first started this weight loss journey and gosh I’m so glad I’m a long way from there now. I just want to get a wriggle on and speed this up but I seem to be unable to do it. I know taking it slowly is good but also a bit frustrating because, as you said, it is too easy to overeat on NFD’s. Especially on weekends. You are right, though, the more I lose the better I feel and the more motivated I am to lose more. What a good rollercoaster that is 🙂

A couple of hundred grams snuck on over the weekend but I expected it. A good week will see the back of that and a good loss. I need it as next weekend is a nightmare food-wise. The 1st birthday party is finger food and I’m sure none of it will be healthy. So hubby and I are contributing our own reasonably healthy dish which is Indian spiced chicken, marinated and cooked until caramelised then we put a piece on a thin home-made crostini and top with home-made tzatziki and fresh coriander. Then our friends will bring a pile of nibbles to our place and we will have plenty of wine. However then we have several weeks of zero socialising so that will be an excellent opportunity to get serious.

Thin, lovely to hear from you and congrats to your DD on getting all four jobs in the UK! How hard for you to see her go though (or are you????).

Klondi, only 5kg to go – wow! And so glad your OH is doing well too

Glad you were able to have a quiet, lovely day yesterday Cinque – before babysitting duties today. You too LJ

Gosh, already 9.00am and I have been pecking away at this post for over an hour! Must rush – have a great day all

Hi all, good weekend relaxation-wise, not a good weekend eating-wise. Saturday I spend some of the day finishing the fence I’ve been replacing and in the evening went to our friend’s house for our monthly cards session. I had been eating well up until then, but I’d made her a banana cake for her birthday and couldn’t help having a slice, which I followed up with half a bag of chips and half a bag of sour jelly lollies.

All Sunday I was at my first Frisbee golf tournament and I did pretty well, my partner and I got one of the lowest scores for the doubles, and in the singles I had one good round and one not-so-good round. I ended up 1 shot off winning my division. Unfortunately I grabbed what I could for lunch because we had limited time so I got a bacon and egg croissant and a chocolate bar, then in the evening I had some more of the lollies and some cake and icecream. I’m paying for all the sugar today because now I have absolutely no energy.

The next two days I’ll try to get in good gym sessions and eat a bit healthier and hopefully I haven’t damaged my chances of getting to double digits on Wednesday. Lunch today was a chicken, beetroot and feta salad and tonight I’m planning on curried chicken livers and lentil dahl.

Good morning everyone

Well it was the weekend for bad eating for me. I ate way too much white bread and other empty carbs and my scales are definitely showing it all up today. It’s FD for me so I’m very grateful for it. I have my two boiled eggs with me and am planning on a warming miso soup for dinner tonight. It is so cold here today and I really feel like soup. Can’t wait.

Quacka is the name my OH calls me. Actually for the last 15 years or so I have only heard him use my real name when he is referring to me whilst talking with other people. I asked him once where he got the name for me and he said it is because I waddle like a duck! Cheeky so and so…..lol 😉

Anzac, well done on getting into the 84’s! That is awesome 🙂

The bosses are back today so I only have time for a short post. Hope to catch up with you all soon x

Good afternoon everyone.

Cali, Anzac, Quacka and Neil it sounds like the food temptations of the weekend were challenging for all. As has been said before – a FD or two will fix that.

Thin, congratulations to your daughter getting all the UK jobs she applied for. I know she wanted something more exotic, but she might get handle the occasional hedgehog or stoat! Penguin may know if there is anything more exotic than that in the countryside.

I got home from babysitting with just enough daylight to go for a walk. Although I did drag the kids for a walk after lunch too, so I got my steps in today.
    Unfortunately the stuffy nose that I went to bed with last night had turned into a full on head cold today, so I suspect my nephew’s kids are at risk of getting that too.

Cinque, hope your babysitting day went well and wasn’t too tiring. I like Cali’s idea of letting Miso express her displeasure to those who are meant to be fixing your heating – I can hear the indignant yowling from here!

My food choices today have been very unbalanced and completely lacking in veg (unless you count chips), although I think I’m still around my TDEE, just not well nourished. I’m hoping for a better effort tomorrow when my choices aren’t influenced by a 5 & 7 year old and am in my own kitchen.

I had planned cottage pie with green beans for dinner but don’t feel like it – it can wait until tomorrow.

NFD Fess up:
    Breakfast: cup of tea, rye toast and peanut butter
    Mid-morning: cup of tea, banana
    Lunch: oven baked chips
    Early afternoon: a hot chocolate and about 10g chocolate
    Late afternoon: 3 slices rye toast with cheddar cheese, pot of tea
    Dinner: stewed fruit & greek yoghurt
    Supper: hot lemon and honey

Talk tomorrow

Back post weekend, hi all! Sadly, my end of June weight was 0.5 kg up from the start of June; happily, my end of June weight was ONLY 0.5 kg up from my start of June weight, and my measurements haven’t changed at all. Really, I think this is a plateau I just have to grit my teeth through. Stitches out on Thursday, hurrah! And thanks for explaining the number of stitches Cinque (It WAS Cinque, wasn’t it?)

Lots of interesting posts. Neilithicman, I decided to buy some beef jerky as you’d mentioned it here – Jack Links Original Beef Jerky from N.Z., tasted good, enjoyed chewing on it, then I looked at the ingredients: 17 gms of protein, good. Expected the 700 mg of salt, but then – 15 gm of carbohydrates, of which 11.8 gm is sugars. What!? The second listed ingredient is actually sugar. Maybe it’s only that brand, so I’ll check the others, but that may well be my first and last taste of beef jerky. Sigh!

Crazy Artist, interesting about people noticing, not noticing weight loss. I’ve lost 13 kg, still have 20 kg to go. Two friends only started noticing in recent times, not because I looked thinner but because my clothes were looking baggier. At church, only one person commented recently, but no-one else has at all. Maybe when I lose another 7 kg??? You have to consider your reason for weight loss. I tried many times in the past, and when people started noticing, I self-sabotaged and regained the weight. This time, I have determined in myself to lose weight FOR MYSELF, so who cares what others think or say. Actually, my doctor’s pleased, and that’s the only approval I need or want.

LJoyce, glad the bridge is continuing even if the lessons have finished. Just enjoy!

Anzac65, do you think Maxx could be sneaky enough to “sleep in” on the day of his obedience class? Could he be that sneaky? Congrats on getting under the dreaded 85 kg mark. Well done!

Cinque, sounds like you’ve worked out a way to keep warm, but really, that’s not a satisfactory response from the housing folk. Hope there’s a change soon.

Interesting lot of posts about differences in measuring sizes. I never knew as a child that measuring spoons, cups, etc. existed, as my mother just used our normal tablespoon, teaspoon and one of the kitchen cups. Now, I would love to find a “real” tablespoon, but haven’t found one yet. Might be looking in the wrong places. I do have a set of measuring spoons, but it’s not the same.

Thin, sounds like your body has settled on your current weight as “right” for you, just don’t lose too much.

Installer coming tomorrow morning to install a new TV, so I’d better close – loved a quote on the monthly forum, so will finish with that:

“If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

Hi Betsy, I usually eat biltong which is a bit different to jerky. Biltong is marinaded in vinegar and spices and is then hung and air dried. Jerky is usually marinaded in a sauce and then cooked so the sugar and carbs come from the sauce.

Good morning all – another VERY cold morning, only 5 degrees according to the car thermometer thingy. I shivered standing on the platform waiting for the train and then once I got off, all the way from the station to the office. Thankfully the trains are well heated

Haha Betsy, I would like to credit Maxx with enough intelligence to consciously decide to sleep in and skip training. But no, he isn’t quite that smart (almost though!) And anyway, he absolutely LOVES dog training and we have to drag him home every week. Also please don’t worry about the 0.5kg, just think how much worse it would have been pre 5:2 and think about how much you have already lost and then use that to motivate for a great July. I am!

LJ, I too have woken up sniffly and sore-headed and I’m not sure if it is just worse than usual hayfever/sinus or a cold. But I do know that the thought of doing a FD today made me feel ill so I am skipping it for a tightly controlled eating day. I know if I try to force a FD I will end up going silly this afternoon.

So instead I’ve had a piece of mountain bread with a small slice of ham for breakfast and I have a chicken salad for lunch. Two mandarins, 3 very large strawberries and 12 almonds for snacks. Tonight is our noodle-free chicken pad thai which has lots of crunchy veges like bean sprouts, spring onions and bean shoots instead of noodles. The sauce has some sugar in it but I will drain as much off mine as possible. That is about 850 calories so well under my TDEE and BMR

I hope your cold doesn’t turn into something nasty like Lindsay’s LJ and I also hope your nephews kids don’t catch it

Quacka, such a lovely story about your username. Those men huh? On Sunday night I was cooking with pots on the stove and chopping away madly when Maxx woke up from a long nap and went into demanding ‘ME ME ME…play with ME NOW’ mode. Hubby was watching footy while I was having balls dropped at my feet to trip over. I went out and asked him as politely as I could manage through gritted teeth to PLEASE look after the dog if he wanted dinner anytime before next week. So he sauntered into the kitchen, calmly grabbed an empty plastic bottle, gave it to Maxx who immediately pranced around the house with it as happy as anything. Smart Alec. However he did exactly what I asked so I couldn’t complain (or clock him on the head with a saucepan. A hot one)

Re pet names, hubby calls me ‘RAA’ because apparently that is the sound I make when I am cranky and it happens to be my initials. In return I started calling him ‘SAA’ because they are his initials! When we first met we used to fight a lot so he heard the noise a lot. So for 31 years now that one has stuck. We must have got our fights out of the way early as we never – or very very rarely – fight now. Thankfully as I hate conflict.

Neil, I seriously believe that if we don’t fall off the wagon sometimes (or in my case often) we just won’t stick to this WOL. I’ve probably said that before, sorry! You are doing so well and you will knock off any damage quickly.

Have a great day!

Viewing 50 posts - 21,401 through 21,450 (of 28,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply.