Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,915 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 2 hours, 25 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 21,451 through 21,500 (of 28,019 total)

• Hello everyone,

I do hope those of you who had a bad weekend, foodwise, managed a great day yesterday. What perfect examples of sugary or ultra-processed food kicking off the munchies!
    I had my own version of it yesterday, making a little pizza for Miss 4 (who I was minding), at her request. So yummy and I ate MUCH more than I meant to. LJoyce, I completely understand how minding kiddies undermines our healthy eating!

So, what are the best strategies for you all?
    a) Putting a stop to it immediately (is this even possible?)
    b) Realising it is happening and concentrate on enjoying every bite
    c) Plan a fast day for the next day to rest and reset
    d) Plan a controlled eating day the next day so as not to continue munching
    e) Look ahead and see if similar scenarios are approaching and work out strategies
    f) Something else

Thin, big congratulations to DD daughter on getting that job. Hmm, it does add intrigue to your project. Enjoy that sweet tummy crease, it sounds like you might lose it soon.

Cali, a lovely collection of funny number plates, and ooh, more excellent op shop finds… they must all have unflattering mirrors. They all do here!

Heater issue is ongoing. Emails got no response at all. I will try the online form next.

Anzac, hoping you can enjoy the 1st birthday party, and that no-one adds a celebration through your quiet weeks ahead.

Betsy, it was me re the stitches, it will be lovely to have them out.
    I suspect that the difficult time you’ve had the last couple of weeks led to that slightly higher weight. Congratulations that it was so little, and will quickly be gone as your best habits kick in again.

So true that our weightloss is for US, and for our longterm health. A more pleasing shape is a nice by product, of course, but most of our friends, and the people we meet, are more concerned with their weight and looks than ours.

Enjoy that new TV!

Hi Neil, congratulations on your frisbee competition.

Best wishes everyone. My response to my pizza day yesterday is porridge for breakfast (just about to make it) and to make a big pot of bean and veggie soup for today and the rest of the week, and a big veggie stirfry in the evening.

Cheers all. Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. šŸ™‚

Good morning everyone

Betsy I love your attitude about being half a kg up from the start of June. I am also a half glass full person and prefer to look at the positive side of things. If you drank a couple of glasses of water it would put on half a kilo so maybe you could just say you maintained last month and that’s not an easy thing for some of us at this time of year! So well done šŸ™‚

Neil, I am going to try and find some real Biltong over here. I didn’t realise that it was that different to Jerky, I just thought it was a different name for the same thing. I love beef Jerky so I am sure I would like Biltong and if it doesn’t have the sauces on it that jerky does, then even better. Is there a chilli Biltong?

Cinque, it is a disgrace that your heating isn’t fixed. I really hope they hurry up and fix it.

Well I had a successful FD yesterday at about 450 calories and the scales are being kind to me today. I have 600 calories of food planned for the day and then tonight, the rest of the Miso soup. It worked out at 211 calories last night with some extra lean pork medallion thrown in so it should be around the same tonight or maybe a little more. I am going to use some of the roast chicken from Sunday’s dinner instead of the pork and maybe add a couple more veggies. I don’t know what it is about Miso but it is very filling as a soup. I love it.

My friend at work is having a really hard time with the split up from her husband. Actually, she is handling it amazingly but he is just bullying her so much and I am worried that she will snap. She doesn’t look after her health in any way and we all know what stress can do to us, physically and mentally. I am just trying to be there for her and look out for the decisions she is making as he has bullied her before into doing something (against her solicitor’s advice) and I hope she doesn’t make any more decisions like that one. To make matters worse, now one of her children is sick and she has had so much time off work already this year with sick kids that she can’t really take any more time off and it just seems like everything is hitting her all at once. Yesterday, the ******** husband actually had the child for the day and my friend told him that she needed medicine and could he go and get her some (she has a fever) and guess what, he didn’t bother. She actually went in her lunch time and bought some Nurofen and dropped it over to his place for the child. But wait, there is more. He DIDN’T give her the medicine!!! He told my friend that she would be ok for school tomorrow (because he is busy) and when she got home the child was burning up and her temperature was 39.1 degrees. I can not believe he did that. It is his own flesh and blood, his own child. What is wrong with this person?

Sorry for going on about it. I know my friends here would understand. I go home and tell my OH about all the dramas but sometimes it really is the last thing he wants to hear about after a long day. It’s not that he doesn’t care it’s just that he is of the opinion “stay out of other people’s business”. I agree, but how can I just stand by and watch my friend be so bullied and hurt by this person? All I can do is be there for her.

Thanks friends for being here.

I hope you all have a lovely day and if fasting, I hope it’s a nice easy one. Take care xx

Ha ha, you made me laugh out loud with the Maxx and OH story, Anzac.
    Cinque, I love your strategies for dealing with the blow outs. I think a combination of all of them works best for me although top of the list is a FD. Thank God for 5:2 and Dr M lol šŸ™‚

Quacka, oh yes, the Chili one is my go-to snack! I love a bit of heat in my snacks. They have a decent range of flavours.

https://canterburybiltong.co.nz/shop/

Woohoo….6 hours to go and my 48 hour fast will be over. Had a few belly rumbles last night before going to sleep but other than that my morning coffee, teas and water have kept me satisfied. Dinner tonight will be a lovely array of roast veggies. Happy Tuesday everyone

Good morning all.

Quacka, I feel badly for your work friend. I also don’t understand how a parent can be uncaring about their own child, but unfortunately I see too many examples of it. As a glass half full person also, I will say that your friend is clearly better off out of that marriage, so that was good decision. I think your hubby’s reaction is indicative of the difference between the way a group of men or a group of women relate to each other. We definitely share more about our personal lives and mostly feel comfortable doing it. Sometimes I think Penguin and Neil are very brave for hanging out here with us!

Cinque, I hope you enjoyed the pizza. Thanks for that list – I do need to plan ahead as I will be covering all of the school holiday babysitting for the second week of holidays (week after next). I’m out of ideas for what to suggest about your heating.

Anzac, clearly your hubby has found ways to distract Maxx through the day so he can get on with his house renovations. You’ll have to remember that empty bottle trick. I hope you get through your sniffles without them getting too bad. I think it’s just one of the many bugs going around at the moment. There is also a vomiting virus doing the rounds so I’m thankful I escaped that one!

Betsy, you have a great attitude to your tiny weight gain. I had a few months when I was trying to lose weight where my body decided it wanted to plateau. Sometimes we just need to give it time to adjust. I hope the tv installation goes without a hitch.

Crazy, I think part of the reason people aren’t noticing your weight loss is because they see you sitting down and I think it’s easier to see the change in a smaller and shapelier torso when we are standing. They will notice eventually. I think I lost 20kg before I got comments – I found it was when my face started changing from round to oval that people would try to figure out why I looked different. However as long as you are happy with your losses and feel better for it – that’s what really matters.

When I took my jacket off last night I realised I had green paint all along one sleeve. This is why: https://imgur.com/uJJVEfH

My camellias are looking very pretty at the moment and I know it will be fleeting so I’m sharing a picture while I can. https://imgur.com/a/Gnok7d6 I have a pair of these that were in a garden bed when I lived in the hills. I moved into pots before I put the house on the market as I knew I’d want to take them with me. They have actually done better in the pots than they did in the ground – I think they had too much competition from tree roots before.

Unfortunately, not only has the head cold has settled in, but I awoke with clear signs of a lung infection. Thankfully I had my antibiotic script on hand so have started them this morning and that should deal with it quickly. The head cold I will just need to let run its course. Thankfully I have a couple of days with no appointments so I have enough time to stay home in the warm and get well.

Another NFD – I have 4 in a row unless I decide to move my Friday FD forward. I’ll think about it. One good thing about a head cold is that my subdued taste buds are making food less appealing – taking advantage of that on NFDs is probably a good idea.

Have a nice day everyone.

Thanks Neil šŸ™‚

I’ve just ordered some Canterbury Biltong. It’s a fair bit cheaper in NZ but the postage out to here is $38 so I found a site that sells it from Australia. Can’t wait.

LJ, you are so right about the differences between the way men and women relate. I hope you get well soon and that infection doesn’t grab hold.

G’day, have you done a 48 hour liquid fast? Did I miss where you said that? Well done!

@cinque ā€“ Iā€™ve found myself doing that: eating much more than I intended of something yummy, and even though Iā€™m conscious of it at that time, I just keep going. I think my strategy is (f ā€“ something else!): note it and try and avoid getting in the same situation again. I am the sort of person who can live with a full packet of Tim Tams in the cupboard for a year. But as soon as the packet is open, every single delicious enticing chocolate biscuit is in immediate fear of its life. (The main reason I do coffee-only FDs. I could not restrict myself to eat but only 500 cal worth!)

I was planning lunch with a friend today but she unexpectedly cancelled. The cafĆ© in my building has really nice salads so I went there instead. I asked for a roasted veg takeway, and she handed me a Vietnamese chicken. A part of my brain said ā€œtell her, get the one you want!ā€ but I was too polite ā€“ or stupid ā€“ to correct her, so I took it anyway. It was nice, but not what I wanted. Why do we do these things!?

Itā€™s so hard to stand by and watch a friend suffer, @quacka. I had a similar situation a few years ago, where he was also being physically abusive to my friend. She was going through that all too familiar cycle of forgiving and going back to him. Heart breaking to watch but all I could do was be there for her ā€“ as you are for your friend. (She finally left him.)

First gain of the last 23 weeks. I gained back 1.7 of the 2 kilos I lost last week. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s mostly water weight because although I made some poor eating choices last weekend, thereā€™s no way I ate enough food to gain 1.7 kilos of fat. It was probably the copious amount of sugar I consumed that led to the turnaround in my weight loss fortunes. Iā€™ll have to make sure I nip that in the bud, go back to cutting out the sugar, and perhaps try another milk fast in the weekend, because that seemed to work well the previous weekend.

Have a great day everyone

Brrr everyone, it’s cold here in Melbourne!
    but it is another precious morning, and it is fast day for me.

Quacka, I am so glad your friend has your support through this hard time. I do hope she can find clever ways to stand up to the bullying, and to help her daughter get through his lazy neglect of her. Keep telling her she is worth the fight, I know how bullying treatment can undermine self worth.
    Don’t keep quiet, this sort of mistreatment is everyone’s business.

Enjoy that biltong!

LJoyce, haha the green paint! I do hope it comes off okay though. And what gorgeous camellias, that delicate pink is my favourite colour for them.
    Big sympathies for the head cold and lung infection. I hope you have a quiet, restorative day and kick them both quickly.

Neil, sympathy for that little bit of weight gain, but yes, it must be mostly water and you have a good plan.

Penz, sometimes we are too polite for our own good!
    That is an impressive mild superpower you have, to be able to have a packet of timtams in the cupboard. For most of my life I haven’t even been safe to have them in the supermarket down the road!
    I do understand the coffee only fast day. Don’t wake the hunger dragon, as they say.

And I am with you, planning is such a boon. If I have a bit of a binge going I try not to hate myself for it, and try to really taste what I am eating and notice how my body feels, and then analyse what happened and plan how to avoid it next time. It is changing such a strong mixture of physical and psychological reactions that it is like unpicking a huge ball of tangled wool.

Intesha, I am thinking of you and hoping it was a precious trip to Melbourne, and time with your friend.

Lindsay, are you better yet?

I had a phone call yesterday about my heater, and an email to say they had raised it again with the contractor, so maybe something will happen. It feels like I am waiting for Godot.

I watched the second part of that ‘Ask the doctor’ program and it wasn’t good, but not as bad as I feared. They were very hard on keto, loved flexitarian, insisted that 5:2 wasn’t sustainable (the couple were doing two 500/600 fast days and then 900 calories on the 5 non fast days). So I stick to my original criticism that they made it unsustainable.

I had a great day yesterday, not quite what I planned, but 9 serves of veggies! Just what I needed.

Best wishes everyone for a great day today.

Morning! Quick post, it’s going to be a mad day

Quacka, I feel so sorry for your friend and honestly how can someone do that to a child – let alone their own child. I’m glad she has someone as lovely as you to talk to. I hope eventually she notices how much better your health is due to your WOE and she may make some positive changes in her own.

Penz, I truly hate conflict and sometimes hold back on saying something just to avoid it. I catch a bus home from the train station most days to save hubby coming to pick me up in the horrendous traffic that is heading towards the station at that time of night. Last night a young man sat in the front disabled seat and watched an elderly man with a walking stick struggle past him to sit in a seat behind. If he hadn’t had earphones on I would have said something but the very act of asking him to take the earphones out first made me chicken out.

G’day, wow – 48 hour liquid fast? That must have been difficult but please let us know how you felt afterwards?

LJ, were you able to get the paint off your jacket? Gorgeous pic of your nephew’s children, they look like they were having lots of fun. Your camellias are gorgeous

Thanks for the list of strategies Cinque; it really makes you sit up and think about the reason behind the snack attack and helps to put an end to it becoming an avalanche. I’ve actually written them down on a sticky and I’m going to redo my old mantra and attach the same horrible photo from Vanuatu that I had under my keyboard at the Canadian Bank. It really helped to sneak a peek, read the mantra and view the photo to stop a trip to the vending machine or similar

Neil – that gain will be a distant memory this time next week. Soldier onward and downwards

Must go, so please have a nice Wednesday

Hi all

Thin. Congratulations to DD. What a nice problem to have, choosing one out of four. You will miss her unless the move to Spain is also imminent. Isnā€™t it annoying when your not very old TV doesnā€™t work with iview. Itā€™s not the same watching on a laptop or iPad.

Cinque. I have finished Endeavour and Iā€™m so glad Thursday redeemed himself. I was worried about the doctor until OH reminded me he was still going in Morse.

Cali. The caravan park Iā€™m at now has a ā€˜fatā€™ mirror. Iā€™m not imagining it, I visibly change shape as I get closer. How is the weather there at the moment, you havenā€™t mentioned any heat wave so I hope it is okay

Anzac. Ironic that Maxx slept in on the one day he shouldnā€™t. Perhaps you should try keeping him awake later on other days if that is what it takes to get a sleep in. That trick with the bottle is obviously one that OH
    has used before, he should have shared that with you then you wouldnā€™t have contemplated violence, are you sure you hate conflict Your chicken sounds very tasty.

Neil. Well done with frisbee. Thanks for the info re the biltong, I also thought they were the same although I havenā€™t seen any jerky here but quite a few brands of biltong are now available.

Quakka. I bet you donā€™t fit your nickname now. OH might have to think of a new one.

Betsy. Well done on staying the same weight, .5 is really not a gain. I hope your new TV is amazing, is it a smart TV? If so, enjoy all the extras.

LJ. Bad luck about your cold but well done on bringing in the cavalry to stop anything worse. Glad you survived the baby sitting and you managed to get them outside.

To add to the funny sayings, my favourite car sticker ā€˜Jesus is coming, look busyā€™. Iā€™ll finish and check the next page.

Good morning all

Well it continues for my friend. Last night her daughter’s pet budgie died. Her daughter found it dead on the bottom of the cage and burst into tears, then she was blaming herself for making it sick šŸ™
    Good news is the fever has broken and the daughter is on the mend. Bad news is my friend sent me a message last night (that I didn’t get until this morning) saying “going to bed thinking I must have been a **** b**ch in my past life…all coming ten fold this one”. First thing I did this morning was just tell her that she is not that and she has done nothing wrong in her ‘past’ life.
    Penz, it must have been so hard to stand by and watch that happening with your friend. It’s hard enough with the mental and emotional abuse, let alone physical abuse thrown in as well. The good thing is that my friend and her (soon to be ex) husband have split up just over 4 years ago so no worries about her going back to him. That isn’t happening. It’s just this year that they have finally made the moves to sell the house and make it more official so its all coming to a head.

What can I say about yesterday. All good intentions went flying out the window and I had a feast day. I can’t even call it a NFD as it was out of control. I felt ‘hungry’ all day and ended up having just over 2000 calories including 2 beers. I can say I am disgusted in myself. I had three pieces of fruit about mid morning and I really think that it started off the constant ‘hunger’ and just because I could, I ate. Not empty carbs this time but lots of food (including half of OH’s lunch meat that I bought for him). None of the strategies I would normally use on a FD worked to curb my fake ‘hunger’ and I just really had an EFS.
    So what happens this morning? You guessed it, I woke up hungry. I admit I very nearly just said “oh well, I’ve stuffed up majorly yesterday, why not just not bother with FD today” but no I AM going to do it. I have two boiled eggs with me in case I can’t stand it anymore ( I didn’t need them on Monday – again a psychological thing. Knowing that I had food meant I didn’t need it).

Cinque, a bit of progress. Hopefully it gets fixed very soon as I have heard there is an even colder front coming soon. Brrrr alright.

Neil, definitely water weight. Weight fluctuates so much for me so it’s no shock when it goes up a little, although I love it when it goes down instead. There could be so many reasons for that little gain but I am sure you will nip it in the bud really quickly. I got an email this morning saying my Biltong order is on the way. Oh, it’s going to take some self control to not eat the whole packet…….

Good idea, Anzac, to get your mantra going again. I think I may need to make a new one up for me too.

Can’t believe I am struggling this week. I know I had a bad eating weekend but I thought I would pay for it on Monday FD, not later in the week. Monday went quite easy for me so I hope I can get through today. Mind over matter.

Have a lovely day everyone. xx

Finally seems like some progress with your heater Cinque. I bet you (and your cat!) can’t wait to get it resolved.

Your poor friend and her daughter, Qakka. Losing a pet is always hard, but worse if you feel some sense of guilt over causing its death. I wonder if the father is still trying to get back at your friend through his child? Sometimes it staggers me how horrible people can be to each other, especially those they once loved. Good luck with your planned FD today. You CAN do it!

We’re getting a new pup early next month, Anzac, and I am so going to adopt your OH’s empty bottle trick!

Good morning.

Still snuffly here but not running a temperature today, which is a good sign. It means I might be able to venture out of the house today for short walks.

Quacka, it’s great that you are sticking with your FD regardless. They are never easy when we’ve had an indulgent day, but necessary.
    We all have those days when we just can’t seem to stop. Emotional turmoil doesn’t help, and I suspect your friend’s situation contributed to the hunger triggers you felt yesterday. I think some women are programmed to “eat their anger” as it was never considered ladylike to express it honestly and vocally when I was growing up. I know when I feel anger either at someone or for someone it can trigger a food response because I have no viable outlet for that emotion.

Klondi, how unkind of the caravan park to give everyone a fright in the shower block. Despite the mirror, I hope the location is lovely.

Anzac, I think having a “cheat sheet” hidden under your keyboard is a great idea.

Cinque, I taped the “Ask the Doctor” and watched it this morning. It wasn’t 900cals that the couple did on the FDs, it was 9000kj, which is over 2000cals per day. (Pretty much 5:2 as it was originally written.) However it was clear that 9000kj was a reduction on what they were eating before, so I shudder to think how excessive their food choices and portion sizes were before the 5:2 trial. There was also a comment that they were now cooking more food and eating less processed foods – which isprobably how they managed to get above 9000kj daily.
    There was also some discussion about feeling so hungry on FDs. I remember it took me time to get over the fear of being hungry on a FD, I suspect they didn’t get to that point.
    I wasn’t surprised that the flexitarian diet was considered both sustainable and healthy – it’s how I prefer to eat (and you too I think) – although I suspect I have more dairy and eggs than is recommended on a ‘mostly plant’ reginme. It really fits with the mantra you used a couple of days ago: “Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”
    Glad you actually had contact from the housing authority – I hope that means action from the heating contractors soon.

Neil, you know this will come off with a week or two back on your usual eating plan. The weight gains often bear no relationship to the actual weight or calories of the food we ate. Our bodies are a bit more complex than that.
    As you have been on a low carb program and the indulgences were full of sugars, the gain would be mostly a combination of glycogen and water. Our bodies are designed to have a store of easily accessible energy, and it’s not body fat, it’s glycogen which was stored from the carbohydrates we’ve eaten. My dietitian said that we have up to 3kg of glycogen stores (in our liver and large muscles) and every gram of glycogen is stored with at least one corresponding gram of water. It’s why the weight loss in week one of a low carb diet is so dramatic as our bodies deplete our glycogen stores (and the corresponding water), before moving onto the harder job of converting body fat into energy. It is also why any deviation from low carb eating results in quick and ‘unreasonable’ weight gain – our bodies are trying to replace their depleted glycogen stores just as they are designed to do. When we go on a bit of a bender (food wise) there is also the added impact of a higher salt intake which means fluid retention as well.
    I once fasted all day in preparation for a restaurant birthday dinner, except for cups of tea and water. I ate an entree sized paella, a piece of pear & thyme bread and a generous dessert and drank plenty of water with dinner. The next morning I weighed 2.7kg more than the previous morning. My body must have hung onto most of the fluid I’d drunk through the day as the meal wouldn’t have weighed 500g. It was a clear demonstration to me, that dramatic weight gain over a few days has little to do with body fat and it’s temporary, as long as you go back to your usual sensible eating.

Penz, The only things that helped me in the situation you described (eating the whole packet of tim tams), were either banning certain foods from the house and practicing mindful eating exercises. The banning helps get rid of temptation but at some point we need to learn moderation with those foods as we will still encounter them and it’s good to learn not to be afraid of some foods.
    I found it useful to tackle them one problem food at a time. This is where the mindful eating exercises helped. I’d take a mouthful sized portion of the food and go through the process of looking and smelling the food and giving myself time to register my reactions. Then you put the morsel on you tongue and leave it there to dissolve and register the taste (and the way it changes), the textures, the mouth feel. I did this with a range of foods, not just problem foods. I did it as a specific exercise each NFD night for a while in the hope that I could learn it as a tool that I could implement as needed. I can do that now, although I don’t always think to – the urge to dive in and scoff something down is still very strong as it was a lifelong habit. Mindful eating is a tool that’s worth pursuing though, as I found it allowed me to be much happier with much smaller portions when I actually use it. When you eat something indulgent this way, the pleasure of those first few mouthfuls is explosive, but it quickly dissipates to become ‘just another mouthful’ and the pleasure receptors stop reacting. This quickly reduces the desire to keep eating the next mouthful. This was a revelation to me, as I had been someone who would quickly scoff the first portion and barely taste it. Then I’d be looking for a second portion where I might actually take the time to eat more slowly and actually taste what I was eating. By starting slowly our brain seems to help us keep the portion modest – we just need to eat slowly enough to allow it to give us this feedback.

Hello to everyone else who is reading but not posting – and to those you’ve probably posted during the nearly 2 hours it’s taken me to write this! I’m a bit slow today.

Thanks for that anecdote LJoyce, that made me feel a bit better about seeing an extra 1.7 kilograms on the scale. I have been fasting today, so far just a kiwifruit (I have at least one a day to help stay regular) a handful of cashews and some of my favourite chili biltong. I’ve been weighing myself on my scales at home first thing on Wednesday morning and then at the scales at the gym at lunch time, and every single time there’s been a difference of exactly 1.5 kilograms, today there was only a difference of 800 grams, so hopefully that means that I’ve sweated and peed out some of that water weight already.

On health doccos, there is so much conflicting information around regarding what is good for you that it’s hard to know what to believe. I watched one last night that was saying that fasting for a few days every couple of months can help reduce our chances of getting cancer, but then he went on to say that we should be eating a diet low in protein because eating protein increases your chances of getting cancer. That goes against most other doctors and nutritionists that say we need at least 50-60 grams of protein per day to maintain our muscle.

Hello all
    Cinque, thank you for the shout out. Back on deck (work) today, and am actually too tired to go home. But I’ve had the all-clear from the doctor yesterday – which is just as well as I’m going in for a cataract operation tomorrow. Sigh. A dreadful month all round. My OH had some more laser surgery last week to try to reduce the pressure in his unsighted eye – he’s recuperating well, and will know Friday whether it has worked.

My eye stuff happened suddenly. The night before we went to Beijing I babysat Mr 4 and Miss 1 … and on the way home got blinded by lights and thought I was on the wrong side of the road. Then driving in on the highway from Beijing, realised I couldn’t see from one eye. Panic, of course, but it was clearer in daylight. I saw the opthalmologist when I got home and he explained it could happen like that – suddenly – and it was a cataract. My OH was booked in for last Thursday – the doctor asked if I’d like to be done the same day. ‘Not unless you are going to drive us home’ Mr OH replied, which made me and the doctor laugh out loud.

This influenza/pneumonia has hit me like a cannonball, and the GP has warned it could take a month to feel well. I hope so because I am heartily sick of myself.

Sorry for being so dull and boring and tedious, and thank you all for your thoughts over the past month.

LJ hope your symptoms are improving. Have you had a ‘flu shot? (I did, but not in time to stop it in its tracks. OH tested positive, but he’d had his a month earlier, and it passed in a couple of days).

Your camellias are delicate and gorgeous.

Here’s something I started to write a few days ago, but wilted before I could actually post.

Ha ha Betsy, spell me anyway you want – just happy for your kind thoughts. And yours too Klondi, and all others who have wished me well. I have been in a bit of a fog and will lose my post if I go back, but Anzac, Cinque, Penguin, Cali.

Klondi those east coast towns are pretty aren’t they? Quiet and peaceful. Where to, after Yeppoon?
    Penguin hope Mrs P is recuperating. Holidays can be dangerous!

Cinque is your heater fixed yet? Brrrrr.

We don’t have air con or ducted heating, but had a wood burner installed last winter, and my OH lights it late afternoon and it is wonderful to sit near it watching the flames, and for the warmth it generates. We’ve also had some leaky louvres replaced, along with the en suite window which had a panel of mesh (building requirements at the time) and the house is much warmer this year. Fabulous summer house, but with no curtains or blinds, and lots and lots of glass, it’s been a trifle chilly during the cold months.

Neil, one small increase in what you’ve achieved is just a snip. Water, for sure. Is there much salt in the beef biltong? You’ll shake it in no time at all.

Anzac, that Maxx is a hoot. So much more entertaining than my bees, and comes sans stingers (unlike my girls, who seriously hate me….my bee mentor says it’s my dark hair and because I wear black trousers (well, did till they stung me 4 times through them), and they think I am a honey bear. Yeah, right.

On that note, I really had better pack up and go home. Honestly, if they had a bed here, I’d be on it.

Happy days friends.

Lindsay, I hope tomorrow’s cataract surgery is successful and uneventful. Also wishing your hubby a speedy recovery from his surgery.
    Honey bear? – is that why bee keeper suits are all white?
    As to your question – yes I had the fluvax back in April. All I’ve had since then is my usual occasional lung infection and 2 head colds. Certainly nothing as debilitating as the flu thankfully. Take care, will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Neil, I think I’ve seen the same or similar docco. When they say low protein it’s all relative to what you consider ‘high’ to be. I assumed that low protein did mean the up to 50g per day – which is not inconsistent with the levels you described for maintaining muscle mass. A lot of people eat a great deal more protein than that – especially people who eat meat at 1-2 meals per day – and don’t me started on the subject of protein shakes that many gyms sell. I’m sure it’s a good little earner for them.

Hi all. For those who asked yes I did complete a 48 hour water fast which also included my 2 black coffees each morning and black, peppermint, liquorice and nettle teas during the day/evening. I even refrained from having miso and hot water this time. Having done plenty of extended fasts in the past I have always found them easily manageable. I felt really good afterwards ( broke the fast with my evening meal of roast veggies at 7pm last night) and slept soundly.

Didn’t feel hungry at all today so didn’t eat again until 7pm tonight so therefore had a 24 hour fast immediately after my 48 hour fast.

Speaking of sleep I can’t believe how well I’ve been sleeping the last month or so, averaging 7 to 8 hours each night as well as rarely waking up during the night. Saturday night I slept for 9 half hours with no waking at all…that has to be a record.

Feeling so much better since OH and I gave up alcohol completely and OH has felt the same. That has certainly contributed to my better nights sleep. The other thing that has improved out of sight is menopause symptoms. No more hot flushes or feeling yucky and bloated. As much as I loved my red wine and sometimes a cold beer I have to say the benefits I experience from not drinking far outweight any enjoyment received from alcohol consumption.

Whoo hoo….have dropped 1.5kg in the last 7 days. I have noticed in the last month I appear a bit slimmer and my jeans are not as snug. I think I have been loosing a bit of weight the last couple of months but those damn scales have been playing tricks on me and telling me fibbs.

OH travelled to Adelaide this afternoon for a specialist appointment in the morning. Looks like he’s up for a knee reconstruction. 10 weeks and we head to Bali so fingers crossed it’s all over and healed by then.

I must say as an avid ABC watcher I was really disappointed with Ask the Dr. I thought their research was way off the mark. As for the diet tests, incredibly poor reflection on how each eating WOL works and none were done for a long enough period of time to be able to gauge accurate results. I swore and cursed through both episodes as (in my opinion) they portrayed each WOL incorrectly.

Time to tuck MissD into bed. Good night everyone

Good morning,
    Lindsay, in case you are up early and on line, LOTS AND LOTS of the very best wishes winging their way to you. I hope it is a lovely simple and straightforward op. And hoping Mr Lindsay finds some improvement as a result of his, too.

I am almost glad this has happened, as it means you won’t be pushing yourself to another day of work, you need to ease in gently. It is amazing how you can feel that you are back to normal after the flu/pneumonia, and then a few hours later you can hardly sit upright. It is important not to push through, but to listen to your body. (Think of me as the good angel sitting on one shoulder šŸ˜‰ )

Anzac, all power to you getting your office organised with mantras and photos to help you look after your health, including your mental health, in that mad house.

Klondi, lovely to think of you enjoying the final Endeavour. I ended up watching it twice for the pleasure. I hadn’t realised that Jim Strange, as well as De Bryn, goes on to be a key character in Morse, too (shows how woke I am).

Quacka, sending more good wishes to your friend and her daughter. Once things are hard, every negative thing that happens feels like to world hates us. What can we do but keep on keeping on with as much dark humour as we can muster.
    I used to work in the family violence area and it is amazing how often the selling of the house is nearly as big a crisis as the initial break up.

So much sympathy for the OOCD (out of control day), I’m hoping yesterday went really well. Isn’t it crazy how long it can take all our systems to recover from one bad decision. I notice it so much more now that I rarely eat anything sweet. When I went crazy and ate chocolat a few months ago I think it took a couple of weeks before I felt i was working properly again. Or as close as I get!
    Keep drinking lots of water!

Penz, how exciting about the new pup! Another labrador for the group?

LJoyce, hope you are even betterer today.
    Thanks for your correction re Ask the Doctor. My apologies to the couple and the program. But why on earth wasn’t that sustainable? They should have joined us here, we’d have seen them through! šŸ™‚

Neil you are right, so much contradictory information.

Gday, I can understand your frustration, especially as the keto diet is working so well for you.
    I am SO glad you are feeling so well, and sleeping so well (bliss!) and that those pesky menopause symptoms have settled so well. Enjoy. Good luck to Mr gday for his op.

Well still no sign of the heater being fixed. They told me to ring the help line this morning, if I didn’t hear from the contractor. I’m steeling myself for 40 minutes waiting to get my call through. Every minute less than that will be a treat.

My dimplex heater does keep my living room warm (and it is a nicer heat than the space heater), (but not anywhere near as nice as your wood burner Lindsay).

Cheers now

Good morning, a very drizzly grey day in Sydney today

LJ, so glad the lung infection is clearing up and I hope your head cold vanishes soon. My cold is minor and hasn’t headed to my chest as they normally do so I’m thankful for that.

Lindsay, I hope your cataract surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery. Ditto to your hubby. You really have been in the wars health-wise lately and I’m so sorry for the dreadful month you have endured.

Woo Hoo G’day! So glad you are sleeping well, feeling great and losing weight (hey that rhymed!). We have lowered our alcohol consumption quite dramatically and we both feel better for it too. I can’t bring myself to give it up completely but I admire your resolve

I still don’t feel well enough to cope with a FD so having another tightly controlled day. I’ve kept my calories under 1,000 for the past three days and the scales have inched down quite nicely. I know this isn’t sustainable and I will be back on board with vanilla 5:2 next week.

Oooooh Penz! A puppy….oh I love them so much. What breed are you thinking about? I have lots of tips about controlling an unruly puppy so please let me know if you need any more – but the empty bottle is a great one. Be prepared for the noise though! Another one is get stuck into recall early as well as loose lead walking. We didn’t and are paying the penalty with our strong-willed teenager. And of course I recommend positive reinforcement training over punishing bad behaviour, but I know everyone has different opinions on that and I respect it.

Sorry about your EFS Quacka but honestly it could have been worse and anyway we all do it sometimes else we wouldn’t be human. Your strategies will put you right back on track šŸ™‚

What a terrible time your friend is having and now their pet budgie has died. I’m sure the daughter was already feeling the tension between the parents and so this was just awful timing. I hope they are ok

Klondie, ha ha – yes I do hate conflict but sometimes the temptation to clock one’s loved ones on the noggin are all too real. The plastic bottle trick is something we both use all the time but in my fluster I just didn’t think of it and he did. We don’t need expensive dog toys so there is a positive.

Hi to everyone else – you too Intesha, I hope you are ok.

Have a superb day and to quote BetsyLee – onwards and downwards šŸ™‚

PS: I took a photo of my mantra. My sticky with Cinque’s strategies is attached šŸ™‚ and the big 20 is how many weeks left until the holiday

PPS: our posts crossed Cinque – good morning and I hope your heating is sorted today and your wait time on the phone is short

http://imgur.com/gallery/XLm5uC9

PPPS: this is for you Penz – how to keep your puppy amused when it’s raining. Maxx dragged half the garden inside and proceeded to chew it all up (insert eye roll emoji). That mat is now ‘his’ mat by the way…. It used to be our one and only good mat, but we lost that battle

http://imgur.com/gallery/77By5Em

I enjoyed your post LJoyce and your reminder to savour each mouthful is very good guidance. I know that when I binge, itā€™s usually done while doing something else. I can eat a chocolate bar while typing on the computer and am barely aware Iā€™m doing so, let alone the taste of it.

Goodness. I didnā€™t know cataracts could have such a sudden onset. Glad you were able to get it dealt with so promptly and hope the op went well.

Iā€™m envious of your sleep GDSA! I have slept poorly for years, but as Iā€™m doing Dry July I hope that will soon right itself.

Weā€™ll be getting a cattle dog puppy. This will be my fourth cattle dog, so Iā€™m familiar with the demands of having a working dog ā€“ but always happy to receive tips as itā€™s been a long time since I had a puppy! Iā€™m hoping our current dog (12 Ā½ yo) will help us with some training. Iā€™ve done clicker training with my last few dogs; seems to suit us. Aww, I canā€™t access the imgur.gallery stuff at work, so Iā€™ll have to wait to see what Max got up to this evening! If he dragged half the garden inside I can only imagine. (Current dog once helped herself to the mushroom growing kit. Sigh.)

Well it’s possibly a slight exaggeration Penz šŸ™‚ (I do tend to do that). It was a very large palm frond that ended up chewed into several pieces and left draped artfully around the lounge room

Oh dear, a mushroom growing kit. Yikes! Was she ok?

Cattle dogs are SO intelligent so I hear. Lovely. I wish we had done clicker training with Maxx. I wanted to but OH thought he knew best and we ended up with a muddle of training methods. It didn’t work (as the longer-term folk here know from my constant complaints back in the younger puppy days) and while he is now much better he will never have 100% recall or loose lead walking.

Good Morning all

Successful FD completed at 415 calories. Boy, it was a tough one but I was determined and stubborn to see it through. I had a big plate of steamed and roasted veggies for dinner and I was still hungry afterwards but I refrained from eating more. Someone mentioned that the most difficult FDs often result in a good loss on the scale next weigh in. My scales read another half a kg down this morning so I’m happy with that. All my jeans are feeling a bit baggy too. Oh dear…..

Thank you for the good wishes for my friend. She is doing ok today. Just waiting to hear from his solicitor about the financial settlement. Hoping it is all over and done with soon.

I hope your’s and OH’s surgery goes well Lindsay and also your OH’s surgery, G’day. Anzac and LJ, hope you are both well again soon. Hope I haven’t missed anyone!

Cinque, we are waiting for some good news for you about your heater. Hopefully today šŸ™‚

I’m looking forward to my day off tomorrow. I’ve done some grocery shopping early this morning so I don’t have to come to town tomorrow. You should see the size of the cauliflower I found. They are $5.50 but it is huge. It makes Quacka happy šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ lol

Byeeeee xx

Good afternoon SHs

I overestimated my energy today. I thought I felt well enough to leave the house and go for a short walk and pick up some prescriptions on the way. I felt ok while I was walking but now I’m exhausted. It was nice to get out into the sunshine though.

Lindsay, I hope the surgery has gone really well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Quacka, well done on getting through that difficult FD. I can see from your tone that you are in a better place food-wise today.

GDSA, that’s quite a fasting effort, well done. I’m really pleased to hear that you finally have some improvement in those menopause symptoms, you’d been struggling with that for too long.

Penz, hopefully you old dog will have enough energy to cope with the new puppy. Enjoy the new addition to your tribe, new pets are a joy – usually.

Cinque, I’m not normally a violent person, but I want to give someone a clip around the ear for not fixing your heater. I will keep hoping for a better outcome.
    I agree about the 5:2 couple, I don’t know why it wasn’t sustainable either, especially on 9000kj on NFDs – that sounds huge to me.

Anzac, doing 1000 cal days instead of the FDs will still help your weight. It’s a good solution when you don’t feel healthy enough to tackle FDs. I find I can still do the FDs when I have a respiratory illness but not a gastric illness.
    I’m not surprised about the plastic bottle being a good chew toy – I think anything they can chew they like – even things they are not meant to ever be chewing!

Because I was housebound for a couple of days I was worried about getting no exercise – even though I really didn’t feel like doing any. Now that I’m tracking steps I get a bit concerned if I don’t get to my minimum target of 5000. What I did was replace short periods of waiting time with walking time. For the last two days, every time I either put something in the microwave (2-10mins), boiled the kettle (2-3mins) or left a pot of tea to brew (3-5mins) I walked up and down the hallway. Normally I would have stood in the kitchen or sat down. Even feeling unwell I managed this because the time periods were so short. At the end of both days I had done approximately 5,500 steps. This is without doing any housework other than minor meal preparation on those days. It showed me how feasible it is to add extra steps to my day. This is something I can easily continue with and it helps me get some movement into my day even in bad weather or bad health.
    I should add that as I’m using a hot wheat bag on my back several times a day, it does add to the time I’m using a microwave.

Have a nice day.

Hi all,

Found out about the forum after reading The Fast Diet book and thought it might be nice to be in a community rather than progressing on my own. I can’t seem to post a new topic in this forum but replies in a thread is working so hope it is alright I join in here, the South Hemispherites group. šŸ˜…

Just a bit about me… In my early 40s and living in Australia. It is always easier for me to put on weight than keep them off. Tried various diets vs exercise fads, but weight yo-yo as my interest and persistence wavered. Weight loss was accompanied with rebound weight gain. After pregnancy, weight has been steadily piling up and in the recent two years, I started to balloon rapidly. Doctor found that I have hypothyroidism, which contributed to my fatigue and low energy level. Not put on any medication yet but still monitoring my thyroid function.I was advised to lose weight as I am also at risk of heart disease and diabetes (family hx). At the start of 2019, I was almost 90kg,with a BMI of 33.7… I think that was a major wake up call to try something different.

Found out about IF from a friend who did it for a year and found it helpful. Read what I could find online and decided to give IF a go. I am following a 4:3 regime (fasting on Tues, Thurs and Sunday). Most time, I am doing a full fast (water, black tea and black coffee with nothing else) but occasionally have the less than 500cal soups/meals on fast day. I keep to two meals in an 8hr eating window on non fast day (akin to 16:8). Also reduced sugar and alcohol intake and cut out junk food like chips and lollies. I still have occasional treats, chocolate cake being my vice.

After starting on IF for about 6 weeks, I started a exercise routine. I guess it was easier after the initial weight loss made me more motivated and I was actually feeling more energetic for a change. I started with walks around the park and now manages brisk walk/jogs of at least 5km on a daily basis. I also started on HIIT 3x a week after watching Dr Mosley’s show two months ago.

Progress so far:

I have lost about 19kg in weight, 8 inches from my waist and 5 inches from my hips since Feb 2019. My BMI is now 26.8. I am feeling better than I have been in years. I feel alert, no longer fatigued, and positive. Seeing results keep me motivated and I no longer made excuses about not exercising and now going out to exercise is just my daily routine (even in the middle of winter). I feel very much healthier, even my doctor was impressed at how I have progressed at my recent blood tests (though we will need to keep with monitoring the thyroid).

I am just glad I found something that works for me. I love food and I don’t feel deprived being on this fast diet. Over time I found that my appetite shrunk but I still get to eat what I like. I feel satisfied with a lesser amount compared to a year ago when I don’t know what being full feels like. I am more in tune with my body signals. And though I still monitor my weight twice daily, I am not obsessing about every gram I put on, because I trust the process and know that my body is working optimally to utilise the amount of food I eat and burn fats.

I started with an initial goal to reach the upper range of my healthy BMI (around 65kg) but I think I can achieve more as sticking to this is easier than I thought. I don’t know how long it may take but hopefully in a year, I am maintaining at weight around 56-58kg.

Wish me luck!!

Sunny morning in my part of Melbourne. Cold but getting warmer, should be a lovely afternoon.

Lindsay, good wishes still streaming. I hope you are happily recovering now.

Anzac, your encouragement station looks excellent, and your doggy is gorgeous.

Penz it will be fun times at your place with a puppy, and a clever, energetic one at that. I hope current dog enjoys it too.

Quacka, it must be your day off today? I hope you enjoy every minute.

LJoyce, good thinking with that ‘steps while waiting’ routine/

I rang the Maintenance centre yesterday and the poor man explained there was nothing more he could do (well, why was I told to ring you? I asked, bewildered). He explained that the contractor had a huge back load and would get to me eventually. I explained how helpful l it would have been if I had been told that instead of being assured my heater would be fixed in two days. He apologised, I said I knew it wasn’t his fault.
    I went out to visit a friend in the afternoon and came home to find the contractor had come 15 minutes earlier. They left a card with a number to ring. I immediately rang and the message was that they were busy and would get back to me. I rang again this morning and got the same message. We leave this story on the cliffhanger. Will they ring back? if not, how long will I wait until they ring again? Tune in tomorrow for the next episode!

In the meantime it is lull day for me (no fast day yesterday, and not tomorrow) so I will eat well and enjoy the sun.

Best wishes to those fasting today, to those recovering from ops and illness and to everyone having a ‘normal’ day, whatever that is.

Can I hear crickets? This thread is pretty quiet at the moment.

I’ve been pretty vigilant with my eating the last couple of days after my shock on the scales on Wednesday morning. In the past I might have dropped into depression and hit the cupboards for more food to make me feel better, but I don’t want to undo all the good work of the past 22 weeks, so instead I’ve been focusing on eating properly. The gym must be wondering what it’s done to deserve the punishment it’s getting at the moment, because I’m hitting it pretty hard for the last 3 days. I’m burning around 650 calories in each 1 hour session as opposed to the 600 I was doing up to then, so I’m really pushing myself. Those scales are not going to sneak up on me like that again. 4 more days until my next weigh-in. BRING IT ON!!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Hello friends TGIF

It’s a strange day weatherwise in Sydney. One minute the sun is out and the next it is pelting down with rain. I’m WFH and it is lovely to not have to commute. We just bathed a very smelly Maxx so that is a big chore out of the way. We used to bath him with the hose but it’s just too cold now. So Hubby bought a big hose from the hardware shop and bodgied up a connection so we could take the shower stall doors off and bath him in there. It worked very well but the bathroom that I scrubbed last week is now covered in dog hair. Sigh.

Cinque how completely frustrating that they finally came to look at your heating and you were unfortunately out. Why is it so hard for them to call first and make an appointment? I am on tenterhooks for the next instalment

Go Neil! Wow they are some ferocious workouts. I feel tired thinking about it!

Weigh-in day today and I’m 84.6 so down 400g since Monday morning. Happy with that. Our weekend plans have changed as our friends are not coming tomorrow night now. This is my friend with Cystic Fibrosis and her hubby. Sadly she has now been diagnosed with osteoporosis and had her first dose of monthly medication two days ago and they warned her there would be side effects. They weren’t kidding – she has had a terribly upset stomach, headaches and it has triggered the arthritis in her feet that is a by-product of the CF. It just doesn’t seem fair that she has to now contend with more health issues. Anyway she is totally drained and we have postponed our catch up.

What a great idea to walk up and down the hallway during wait times LJ. I’m going to do the same. We have a circuit from the kitchen, down the hall, through the dining room, through the lounge and back to the kitchen.

Congrats on the half a kilo Quacka and so glad you got through the difficult FD. I hope you are enjoying your day off.

I had nothing to wear to my great-nieces first birthday party tomorrow so I was going to head off to Target to buy something. But then I thought to check in my ‘small’ wardrobe which is full of lovely clothes I no longer fit into. I found a gorgeous, almost new, red top that used to look awful as it is lightly fitted around the bottom and used to cling in a very unflattering way. Well, it looks ok – nice actually – now! Hooray!

I hope you are ok after your surgery Lindsay and I hope your hubby’s surgery was successful

Ok, must do some work. Bye for now

Hi Aurorin! Your post took while to turn up on this thread (happens occasionally) so please forgive us all ignoring you for a day, it was because we couldn’t see you. Luckily you showed up on new posts this morning https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/430/#post-291811

Welcome here! Congratulations on everything you have done for your health with 4:3 and exercise. Brilliant! No wonder your doctor is impressed.
    I was the same as you, aiming first to get into my healthy weight range and then saying to myself, hang on, I can do more! I at the lower end of that range now, and still working out (after a couple of years) how to stay there.

Morning all, we are in a mad rush to get ready to go to my great-nieces birthday lunch but I wanted to say a big hello and welcome to aurorin. Congratulations on your progress so far and we are so happy you have joined our forum. Your post wasn’t there yesterday but that happens here sometimes

Have a great day everyone!

Back at post two. Cold and sunny. A gorgeous winter Melbourne morning. Saturday 9:30 am

Anzac I might have missed the chance to wish you a lovely day at that little dot’s birthday, rocking it in your red top. But hoping the wishes will work anyway, and you will have a great day and ignore most of the finger food šŸ™‚

Neil, wo! The gym must be reeling.

No further updates on my heater saga. A lesson in patience.
    I’m concentrating on myself today, doing all the good things. Started with an excellent breakfast that was mostly a beautiful salad with lots of lovely greens from my garden in it (rocket, coriander, parsley, pea shoots). I’ve been reading a gorgeous library book on Middle Eastern food (Tess Mallos) so I am inspired.

Another book I got from the library is all cauliflower recipes and it is inspiring too. What with the cauliflower rice recipes used as rice and couscous and tabbouleh substitutes, as well as pizza base, several lovely rissoles, stems used like kohlrabi in salads, roasted florets used as fish substitute (stew, pie, in lemon sauce etc) and chicken substitutes (butter chicken, popcorn chicken) as well as more usual ways in soups, curries, pakora etc.
    The one I want to try is big florets, lightly steamed and then a mince mixture is wrapped around (think scotch egg), it is fried and then cooked in a sauce.
    With big fat curdy cauliflowers in the shop I might be down to one type of veggie this week, Penguin!

Fast day tomorrow! I bought some dried king oyster mushrooms that I will add to tomorrow’s miso soup. Might put some cauliflower in too.

Cheers all.

Hi everyone. We have been so lucky with our weather here. It would normally be in the high 30ā€™s and low 40ā€™s by now but for the past couple of weeks itā€™s barely reached the low 30ā€™s. We will have a low electric bill this month. Weā€™ve hardly had a chance to run the new air conditioner. Today was the warmest day in a while and itā€™s only about 34.

Cinque, I hope that contractor comes back very soon and fixes your heater. Itā€™s terrible that theyā€™ve made you wait so long. Can you withhold rent until they fix it?

Anzac, be careful with the plastic water bottles with Maxx. Someone I used to work with had her German Shepard chew a plastic bottle up and swallow a couple pieces of plastic which can be sharp. She ended up with an expensive surgery to remove it and repair the damage. Itā€™s amazing what ends up in dogsā€™ stomachs.

LJ, great idea walking while waiting for the microwave. I do that too but will look for more ā€˜waitingā€™ opportunities to add steps. I hope your congestion and lung infection are gone soon. Please take it easy and get enough rest.

Aurorin, welcome to 5:2. Youā€™ve had wonderful success so far. Stick with it and youā€™ll be at your goal before you know it.

Quacka, so hard to see a friend suffering. Hopefully the whole divorce ordeal will be over soon. So sad to know that her daughter is suffering. You are a good friend.

Klondi, glad you are enjoying your holiday. Just ignore that fat mirror! I hope you continue to enjoy good weather.

Thin, we miss your frequent posts. I hope all is going well for you. Congrats to DD on her job offers.

Neil, that weight gain was likely mostly water, especially since youā€™ve been eating low carb. I dropped 1.4kg after a FD last week, kept it off for a second NFD, and then gained 1 kg the following day. Go figure. My body seems to do weird things with water weight. Your extra weight is probably gone already.

Hello all, and thank you again for the good wishes. Things are looking up ….OH’s eye pressure is down from an all time high of 48, to 23, with this new surgery. It is in his unsighted eye, so it won’t affect vision, but it means he won’t have to use 3 drops x twice a day, which was the maximum dose but no longer doing the job. Just one a day now, for as long as the surgery lasts (6 months, 2 years … a bit unpredictable). And my cataract surgery went very well, and in a few days I should be back to normal. A question for those of you who’ve had the surgery (Calif?). did your sight change colour? I’m seeing quite a cold blue light from the operated eye, but maybe that will change as I heal.
    Cinque, sounds like a nice day planned and some good books to keep you entertained. I am not sure I’d call the heating situation a lesson in patience …. more likely a lesson in inefficiency from your council (or whatever government body provides the ‘service’ (a word you could use very loosely to describe your heating situation).
    Anzac how wonderful to find a treasure in your wardrobe … the very best kind of shopping. Have a great day.
    Aurorin welcome to this wonderful group – what a great achievement so far. Looking forward to hearing more about your further success as it comes your way – sounds like you’ve found a plan for life, as have many of the friends here.
    How is your back LJ? Hope the wheat pack is helping.
    Good on you for getting through a tough FD Quacka – it’s particularly satisfying when it’s hard but you get there.
    Penz I didn’t know cataracts could just appear like that too – but that’s what happened and it gave me such a fright. Anyway, all good now.
    Gday great that you’re having such good sleep. I know too much alcohol can disturb sleep, but I didn’t realise that even a glass or two could have the same effect. Not that I’m drinking at all at the moment …I can’t even think about alcohol as I’m getting better, but I still struggle with getting uninterrupted sleep.
    LJ, yes, it’s exactly why bee suits are white. Smart little creatures they are, bees equate dark clothes with bears coming to rob the hive, and sting accordingly. Apparently they also go for woollen socks. I realised my protective clothing wasn’t protective enough (white suit and hat, but only to hip length) so invested in the full monty ….a white pair of overalls with a black face guard that sits away from my face. I could wear it for beekeeping or an Apollo space mission, according to OH (he can laugh – I’ve bought him one too).
    OK that’s it from me for the moment all – hope you have a lovely weekend, filled with good cheer and good company …friends, or your own. Intesha, hope you’re doing ok.
    Thin, hope you are too. Congratulations to DD on her great job success … although it will be hard for you when she leaves.

Lindsay, my sight changed after cataract surgery only in that the yellow tint from the cataract was gone and everything looked clear. I didnā€™t really notice a blue tint but compared to the other eye which they did a couple months later, there was a big difference. My white kitchen cupboards looked bright white after surgery, whereas the unoperated eye made them look yellowish. Cataracts make your vision look yellow but it usually happens over a long period of time so you donā€™t really notice and you donā€™t have a basis for comparison until you have the cataract in one eye removed.

Do you think the blue tint is really the lack of yellow? Iā€™ve read that some replacement interocular lenses have a slight tint to them for sun protection. There is also something called Cyanopsia that can cause a blue tint. (I looked it up on Google.) This apparently usually goes away over time. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanopsia I would call and mention it to your doctor anyway. Did you have both eyes done?
    So glad to hear your OH had positive results on his surgery. I hope they last for a very long time. Can it be done more than once?

Gday, I admire you for getting through a 48 hour fast. I found even a 24 hour water fast very difficult. I hope you lose a bunch of weight with it. The health benefits are supposed to be better too.

Hi all, sorry, I’ve been MIA – Not sure where I’m at with FDs and CDs etc, as was diagnosed with the flu this week and really haven’t been well. Not been interested in eating much, which has been helpful with keeping the eating under control, but have mainly been eating frozen meals, which aren’t as healthy as home-cooked meals, but just not well enough to cook. Improving, so next week will be better.
    Was 0.2 kg down today on the start of the July weight, not a complete disaster, but now on oral steroids for asthma, so will probably retain fluid for the next several days. It will come off once I stop the steroids, just need patience. Main problem is the bronchial cough; haven’t shifted it yet, and of course working through the flu symptoms, which is much easier now the fever has gone, though I still have joint pain.

Neilithicman/ Quakka, interesting comments re Beef Jerky vs Bilitong. Didn’t know they were different. Thought the Bilitong was just the brand name, as I’m sure it also said beef jerky on the packet. I grabbed the other brand as it was on special, and didn’t check the contents. I’ll have another proper look next time I’m at the supermarket. Neilithicman, hope the scales have been kind to you. I have daily scales, cheap ones, and “proper” scales for weigh-ins – they differ by about 2 kg, so I just mentally add 2 kg when I weigh myself on them.

auririn, welcome. This has been a great and very welcoming forum for me, joined it late last year. My weight loss has been slower than yours, but 13 kg over 7 months is still okay, and I don’t feel deprived or “on a diet”. It’s great!

Anzac/ Cinque, thank you for the encouragement re the minor June gain. It’s okay, just soldiering on. I think the beginning of winter is the hardest time of the year to lose weight, but I’ve adjusted now; the only problem has been getting the flu – yet again, like last year, after having the flu injection. Sigh! First (and now second) time in my adult life to have the flu (as I recall), and after last year’s saga of asthma bronchitis and 2 hospital visits (fortunately no admissions), I had really hoped that I would avoid the bullet this year.

Anzac65, woo-hoo! Great the scales are still going down. And, old clothes new again because they fit, isn’t it a marvellous feeling?! Hope the great-niece’s BD party went well. Had a chuckle at your struggles with Maxx wanting attention. Dogs don’t have a premium on this; my cat Wilbur often demands attention just when I’m trying to concentrate on something else – seems to have “radar” to alert him that I am no longer focussed on him. šŸ™‚

Quakka, thank you for the kind words of encouragement. Great that you can be such a support for your friend. Re starting your eating with fruit – I find I can’t do it. If I try to eat a few pieces of fruit, within less than 2 hours I am ravenously hungry. Unless I make a good immediate protein choice, I will continue just snacking. Decision – eat less fruit.

Penz, have fun with your new puppy. When you say “cattle dog”, do you mean a red or blue heeler? Also, I agree with you re Timtams (and chocolate bars) – unopened, they can sit in the cupboard for months, and often do. Once opened, they get eaten. If I can’t stop myself and keep going back for just 2 more, then just 2 more, I bin them. I try to hold one packet in the cupboard for visitors, but the danger is when there are some left when the visitors leave.

Cinque, yes the stitches are out. Inch long scar for a tiny little lesion, don’t know why it couldn’t have just been a small circle incision, but my stupid fault for scratching it. How frustrating your heater saga has become. How can they expect you to be home when they didn’t even alert you that they were coming??!

LJoyce, yes, the smart TV installation went really well and it’s really straightforward to use. Some friends ended up taking the old TV as they didn’t have one with high definition, and they are rapt, so we’re all happy. Sorry to read of your lung infection, so hope the antibiotics kick in soon. Noted your comments on mindful eating. My “downfall” (which I try to avoid now) is eating when focussed on something else, like a good book or interesting TV show, because it’s then that I don’t pay attention to the amount I’m eating.

Neilithicman, I agree with CalifDreamer re protein. Many folk regularly dining out, especially in America, but also here, think nothing of eating a large 350 gm steak, which has 150-200 gms of protein in it, several times a week. That kind of high protein diet is unhealthy. The 5:2 is called high protein only in a relative sense, as a proportion of the total calorie intake that we have on it, as the total amount of protein is not considered high.

LindsayL, I’m glad you’re finally better now, and good that the cataract op went well. Interesting comments re the bee-suit. Have been trying to think what my father wore when robbing the hives, and I’m sure it was just his normal clothes, probably light or check shirt and brown long pants, then a cover net from a hat down to mid chest. It seemed to work okay. He used to say that it was the small black Italian bees that were the more vicious.

GDayfromSA, well done on a successful 48 hr fast, and that with the reduction in alcohol you’re sleeping much better. That must be such a relief!

Long post, but I’ve been away a while. Currently watching Wimbledon. With the flu being infectious, I’m basically staying home. Walked around the court outside today just to get outside, and have to admit it was an effort. It will be better tomorrow.

Okay, done. Onward and downwards everyone!

Good morning from a fasty Sunday. 56.0kg today which is my all time low, so I probably shouldn’t be fasting at all but, as previously mentioned, I would like to remain in the fasting routine. Anyone fasting with me today?

Thanks for all the comments about DD’s job success. Things seem to have got quieter on these pages and I’ve been able to read a few posts since waking at an annoying 4.10am.

Lindsay, good news indeed about OH’s eyes. It sounds like you’ve been very sick, hope you’re soon fully recovered. Cinque, I hope you got the heating sorted and that it’s not as cold as it is here. CalifD, did you get rocked in the last couple of days? I remember once waking to find the rocking chair rocking in my bedroom. So creepy. I thought someone had been in there with me until I worked out that it was an earthquake. Funny how it’s all over before you realise what’s happening. Anzac, good job on your weight loss.

LJ, you’re on the right track but we’re a step ahead. Last summer, we decided that life here next to the municipal pool had become untenable. We love our house and we live in an otherwise great street, with fabulous neighbours up and down the road most of whom we know, many we consider good friends. So it was a hard decision to sell up after 25 years. We have a deep disdain for the real estate business model (in particular the ‘home open’ which instantly lowers your property value while promoting the agents’ business) and decided in April to have a go at selling it ourselves. We succeeded in a very tough market, achieving several hundred grand more than the RE agents estimated – itself a value that’s often inflated to secure the listing. DD’s job offers all came the same week as our offer so there were big life changes happening for all of us. Since then, sheer terror has ensued with the realisation that we are now homeless. I thought I’d been downsizing all these years. I found out I hadn’t. Getting rid of stuff is taking every waking moment. I’ll post another instalment with our future plans another day.

Good morning everyone,
    Sunday fast day for me.

Good idea to keep the fast day going Thin, you can give yourself leeway to eat a little more on other days on special occasions, maybe.

Congratulations on your house sale and hooray you don’t have all the stuff in it that you did get rid of over the years! No wonder you are too busy to over eat.
    Best wishes for finding the perfect place to move to.

Cali, how lovely to hear of the beautiful weather. May it continue. I finally looked up the Aboriginal season we are currently in, which is Chinnup, meaning the season of the cockatoos. I think of you whenever I hear about parrots!

Chinnup is the coldest time of year, as we know, with bleak mists and freezing winds. But it ends in a few weeks, and in the meantime I will look out for the cockatoos. I have mainly been seeing grass parrots and rainbow lorikeets.

Lindsay, good news! I am so glad to hear about Mr Lindsay’s eye pressure. That is a big difference. I hope your blue filter is sorted.

I think if you dressed like a woodland creature, the bees would be much more accepting: a fairy or a pixie perhaps?
    Or maybe not, they might think you were an enormous flower and all converge. Maybe the white astronaut suit is the best answer. Ah well, keep talking to them and hopefully they will get to know you and start telling you all the important things.

Betsy, so good to hear from you, stitches out. How awful that you got the flu after all. And so nasty that it mutated around the flu vaccine just in time to get you… again!
    It is hard when you have to look after yourself, hopefully you will be up to cooking before too long. It will be ‘5:2 for health’ for you, for a few weeks, and then you can get back to ‘5:2 for weight loss’.

I do agree that early winter (Chinnup!) is the hardest time to lose weight. Miso the cat agrees. I am glad I have a fast day today.

Re my heater I’m not sure if the squeaky wheel will get the oil or if the loudest chook will get the chop. It is all very disempowering, but I will try ringing the contractor one more time tomorrow and then, if I still can’t make contact, ring the Maintenance people again.
    This is what happens when money is cut out of welfare, they used to be excellent for maintenance but it is all part of the popular feeling that struggling people are rorting the system and funding should reduced. So many people are worse off than me.

Today I am making more (cover your ears Thin!) beetroot kvass and I am looking after dear little Miss 2 tomorrow so I need to plan some lovely grandma kinder activities.

Best wishes to everyone for a great day.

Thanks Cinque. Is that kvass for your FD? Sorry about your heater maintenance or lack thereof. We certainly have a lot of cockatoos here. Carnaby’s Black Cockatoos have moved into the area. Sadly their habitat is slowly being destroyed and they are taking up residence in the city. A beautiful sight nevertheless, we counted 54 the other day. Scrotes came out of their house next door in their usual self-absorbed, noise bubble fashion and missed the whole show right above their heads!

Betsy, good to hear that your stitches are out and youā€™re on the mend. Take it easy and get some rest until itā€™s completely gone.

Cinque, I believe in the squeaky wheel theory. This little guy was enjoying the Chinnup season and not taking any crap from anyone. Heā€™s going beyond the squeaky wheel solution and taking matters into his own ā€˜feetā€™. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/05/chick-flick-cockatoo-gives-anti-nesting-spikes-the-bird-in-viral-video Please scroll down to the video. I think heā€™s a fine example for you. šŸ˜‚

The earthquakes are in Southern California, near the Mojave desert. Weā€™re too far away in Northern Cal to feel any of them. Very scary that there are so many though.

Thin, I donā€™t envy you having to clear out 25 years worth of stuff for the move. We were in our last house for 16 years and that was a big enough nightmare. Iā€™m not surprised youā€™re losing weight. The good news is that if you lose too much, we are all experts at gaining a little back!

7pm Sunday and I’m exhausted and aching from head to toe. Spent the entire weekend dismantling the back verandah landing and steps. The dismantling was the easy bit it was digging out the steal posts and concrete that killed me. 14 in total. Had to dig around the post, smash the concrete around the post with a sledgehammer, dig more, smash more. I swear some of the posts were cemented in half way to China. OH was unable to help because of his knee and he can’t do heavy work because of his heart issues anyway. I’m not looking forward to waking up tomorrow. But the good bit is the new landing and steps are being built tomorrow as well as a verandah at the entrance of our new shed/rumpas room/gym area.

Another good week weight wise. Have dropped another half a kg since my post last Tuesday. So that’s a total of 2kg in 12 days. I’ve only been eating OMAD (evening meal) since Tuesday. Absolute minimal carbs, lots of good fats, veggies and salad greens and some protein. I haven’t felt hungry at all during the day so not struggling. Tonight’s evening meal was my last until Tuesday evening as doing another 48 hour fast. Will continue this routine for the next few weeks and then will alternate by doing a couple of 24 hour fasts during the week instead of the 48.

Glad everyone seems to be travelling well, regular and new posters. Haven’t commented on posts but have been keeping up. Keep forgetting to write things down so I can comment on who said what….lol.

I have a change in work hours for the next 2 weeks and will be starting at 7am so I hope we don’t have too many chilly mornings coming up. Good night all

CalifD, that’s so funny – “experts at gaining a little back”! Successful FD, barely noticed it. Hope yours went well Cinque. Another 4am start but I did go to bed at 8.30pm.

Speaking of staying warm and welfare cuts, I’ve taken car loads of items to Vinnies, including many warm blankets. They are so grateful, it makes you feel good. As we know, these items don’t go directly to the disadvantaged but are sold to the likes of us and then who knows how the proceeds are distributed. We have people sleeping rough in our suburb and I’d love to have given them a pile of blankets but didn’t know how to approach it. Often what we think people need is not what they actually want and people are so easily offended these days.

GFSA – I’ll bet you were what I describe as “good tired” though. If I’m just generally tired from a heavy workload or general fatigue that’s what I call “bad tired” but if I’m tired from being outside doing physical things (sport, construction, gardening, etc) then I call that “good tired” because although you might be tired and achy, you generally feel pretty good about yourself for doing something positive.

I had an ok weekend eating-wise. I did have one scone on Saturday and a couple of idli that I made, but other than that I managed to avoid the weekend binge. I ate plenty of veg and I’ve made a big pot of broccoli and blue cheese soup for work lunches this week. I’ll probably throw in some broad beans/lentils to up the protein and fiber. I’ll hit the gym at lunch time today and tomorrow and see if the scales are more kind to me this week.

Good morning friends

Thin – congrats on selling your house AND for a great price AND avoiding those awful RE agents! Lovely to hear from you and very glad that you are getting away from those dreadful neighbours

BetsyLee, I am so sorry you are so sick. You’ve really had a rough trot lately šŸ™ Please get better quickly

I didn’t have a great weekend food-wise but the scales only went up 100g so I might see another jump tomorrow. The birthday party went well and we couldn’t believe how lucky they were with the weather. It was in the Blue Mountains so we expected it to be freezing; instead it was sunny and warm. I just had my long-sleeve top on and some people were down to t-shirts. Hubby and I provided one of the courses and did our Indian spiced chicken on garlic toasts with home-made tzatziki and a squeeze of lemon. They were a huge hit.

So glad the surgery went well for you both Lindsay. I remember when both of my parents had cataract surgery they were in awe of the colours they could see afterwards

Cali, nice that the weather is perfect over there at the moment. I am already sick of winter and dreaming about warm days again. Then I remember that I will be spending the better part of our summer in freezing Europe! Yikes! But it will be worth being a bit cold to see so many stunningly beautiful places (and NOT BEING AT WORK).

Speaking of work I must get to it as I spent ages reading all of your lovely, interesting posts and now haven’t any time left to respond. I’ll be back later though

Hello everyone.

Yes, Betsylee ā€“ blue / red heelers are properly called Australian Cattle Dogs. Hope you recover quickly from the flu.

Noting the title of this thread, are there any people in the Southern Hemisphere here not from Aus or NZ?

Love the idea of a ā€˜small wardrobeā€™ Anzac65. Sounds like it will very soon become your normal wardrobe.

Cinque, I fear it will be summer by the time your heater gets fixed!
    Gosh Thin! Itā€™s all happening for you. Good luck with finding your forever home and the stress of associated removals.

I had to look up Carnabyā€™s Black Cockatoos as Iā€™d not heard of them. They look very similar to the Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo which Iā€™ve seen a few of lately. (Donā€™t you love the names of so much Australian fauna ā€“ not very imaginative, but at least you know exactly what they look like. Red Bellied Black Snake. Red Back Spider. Blue Ringed Octopus. So simple!)

Good morning,

A good fast day for me yesterday, thanks Thin.
    That kvass is for me, every day, but it takes at least 5 days to ferment, so hooray that I have made a start.
    Those blankets will be so appreciated.

Cali, ha that cockatoo. Such attitude. I channeled it when I rang the contractor again this morning, and to my amazement someone picked up and they say they will be here tomorrow after noon.

Gday, thinking of you this morning. I really hope you could have a big hot bath last night, and that you managed to get to work by 7am this morning.
    Btw, did you work out what was giving you such terrible reflux? Or did it just go away?

Neil I love that ‘good tired’ ‘bad tired’ distinction. Congratulations on avoiding the weekend binge, I bet you feel good this morning.

I did similarly, concentrating on veggies. It is a winner strategy for me. I’ll be working on it all week.

I visited a friend last week who wanted to make something for us to eat with our coffee, but knew I didn’t want sugar. She made a loaf based on the banana loaf in ‘Cookery The Australian Way’ (iconic school text, Cali) but left out the sugar, added an extra egg, and used roasted butternut and parsnip instead of banana. It worked really well! She added sweet spices.

Anzac, I am so glad it was a beautiful day for the birthday party. I hope you felt wonderful in your red top. Your contribution sounds so delicious I want it for lunch!

Lindsay, sending good wishes today. Are you having another work day? I hope it is not too tiring.

Betsy, I hope today is an improvement.

I’m off to get the home ready for little Miss 2 (almost three). Getting all the puzzles out. Hoping we will see some sun.

Best wishes all. If the scales are disappointing, think how the changes to your health are all positive. Think longterm! Cheers.

Penz, our posts crossed. Good morning!
    Ha re our imaginative naming, including red heeler and blue heeler, do you have a favourite of the two colours?

We are very Australian centric here, and hold hard to any kiwis who join. I’m still waiting for the Argentinian and South African contingents! Although… the thread was started for people who are awake when America and Europe are asleep, and that is a longitudinal issue, not latitude!

And just to add to this, we have a couple of very special friends who ‘migrate’ from the Northern Hemisphere to our thread. They are CalifDreamer from California and Penguin from the UK

Viewing 50 posts - 21,451 through 21,500 (of 28,019 total)

You must be logged in to reply.