Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,913 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  GdayfromSA 4 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,351 through 20,400 (of 28,017 total)

• Hi all,

Saturday evening here and just finished reading all the posts, so lovely. Sounds like you are also having a cold snap of weather in Oz too, we had a freezing cold day yesterday, even fresh snow on the tops today to prove it. Forecast a frost tonight but a lovely warm day to follow, back into the 20’s again early in the week. Never quite know what to wear on our daily walks.

Cinque – I like your idea of farewelling the summer and for making up for the extra hours sleep gained tonight!

Thin – Funny how some need the whole plot laid out before them, I am definitley completely the opposite. OH and & I have just finished watching the first four series of “Line of Duty” a British cop drama/thriller, series five is just on live, episode two next Monday and think its brill, cos you really have to work out who is doing what to whom, so gripping. I have watched TV from all around the world and I think the BBC really takes some beating when it comes to drama programmes. I will check out the Traitors too, do like Keeley Hawes.

LJ – I do like your explaination of “off-script” meals, as we were at a food show yesterday and didn’t eat anything before we left in the morning, so not impacting on our TRE, any foods we sampled, were just that, samples and I was mindful of what they were, did buy some cider and beer though which we consumed watching the rugby last night. I learnt a hard lesson from last weeks derailment so made sure I kept up on the water all day, and when I was drinking at home. Even the lunch dishes we enjoyed were no bread and salad instead.

Rosy – Well done on your new weight and new size for the jeans, you must be so excited to be where you are now. Woo hoo!

Neil – I do hope you enjoy your parents birthday bash, the nice thing about this WOL is that you can still attend these family gatherings and enjoy them with some careful choices. Your biltong sounds great, bought some at the show yesterday with a spicy pepper flavour, passed on the chilli as too much when I’m out hiking, also some of Pic’s peanut butter slugs, love them on the hill. I never tried Biltong or Jerky until I was in the USA last year and got hooked!

GDay – Your OH must be feeling great, well done!! How long has it taken to get where you are now? My OH is on this journey with me and enjoying it, feels so much healthier.

Shame there aren’t a few more males on here posting their fantastic weight losses!!!

Klondike – Great question, really made me think. I echo alot of your sentiments with not leaving anything on your plate and not getting dessert (which we had every week night when I was growing up) unless we had eaten our greens. I never had a chance of leaving anything as I was always so hungry, ate everything and never put any weight on!! I don’t think I gained any weight until OH and I started living together and then I did, and I think I just started to eat too much, we both did! I still kept acctive but we had both been taught to have three meals a day and he was a stickler for that back then. I have never been a brekky eater but graze alot and would think nothing of eating very close to bedtime! This was so easy working split shifts in hospitality!! When I reached 64kgs around 16 years ago, I was on my own for the last eight weeks and lost a kilo a week, I wasn’t eating much, but enough, but it wasn’t sustainable. I was addicted to salt in my late teens and ate a lot of potato crisps, still love them but only ready salted, but like many others on here, I don’t have them in the house anymore!!! I was very self restrained at the show yesterday, a bargain six bags with a free hessian bag and I left them on the table. Well pleased with myself.

Haven’t been wallowing today as I did last week with my gain after a play day and had litres of water and made good food choices, be interesting on the scales tomorrow!!!

Hope you are all enjoying your Saturdays?

Turn

Hi all

Thin. The C25 program is based on your boyfriends theory. Starts at jogging 1 minute with 90seconds of walking and you do that 8 times with a warm up and warm down walk. I struggled with that but kept at it and it gradually builds to longer jogs and recovery walks. 30 minutes continuous jogging is in sight but I don’t fool myself that I will be covering 5k in that time. I intend to continue until I can. Not sure where this resolve came from but seems to be an offshoot of my commitment to 5-2. I had a pizza tonight but I left the thick rim. I think that saves me a few calories. Cinque’s chicken soup was lunch and I can heartily recommend it.

Gday. That is great news re OH and his new clothes. Give him a high 5 from me. I can’t get my OH to consider looking after himself. He is very supportive of me but not interested in doing the same. Not just restricting his food but also his beloved red wine. Hope the kitchen goes together well and you can enjoy your nice renovated house. Is that the last of the big jobs?

Cinque. How nice that you have a community in the block where you live. We need more of that. Yes your chicken soup was tasty and I passed the extra on to my DS so spreading the goodness around. A little nutrician lesson from Mr G who is 4. “Weetbix is made from wheat, Cornflakes is made from corn and oats are from goats.”

Gday, thank you for mentioning the rissoles again. Several people talked about them a good while back, and I was going to make them, but then forgot. I made them last night with turkey mince, grated zucchini, an egg, carrots, onions, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt & pepper. I forgot the breadcrumbs, but probably just as well calorie-wise and they were nice and moist. There are a large number of different recipes online and I could see trying different herbs like dill or basil, or even caraway. They were a huge success with OH and DS and are something I’ll do on a regular basis since they’re quick and easy to prepare and the leftovers store well and will be easy to reheat. I used just a little olive oil to fry them and kept adding water as it evaporated. Linda, I had portobellos and baked sweet potato fries as vegetables. And a green salad. Definitely a NFD meal but I was up only 100grams this morning and I ate a lot.

Gday, it’s good to hear that your kitchen is finally coming together although it sounds like the two of you are going to be busy with the gyprock repairs for the next couple of days. Is the rest of the house close to being completed yet? Congrats to OH on his weight loss! Wonderful to see such good results in clothing sizes.

Klondi, we also were supposed to eat everything on on plates before dessert or because of the starving children in China. (Dump the food, send them a check!) My parents grew up during the depression and in my mom’s large family there was a limited amount of food to eat. So she was determined that we would never go wanting for food. My parents didn’t have a lot of money, but there was always plenty of food and snacks. I think I got my habit of cooking for an army when there are only 3 of us comes from her. Because, what if someone wants more or if someone should drop in?

Thin, your Italian meal sounds like it went well seeing that you are still in the 58’s. It’s the company and getting out that’s important, not so much what you eat.

LJ, hope your dinner party went well. Did your family notice how spotless your house was? I never notice the cleanliness of people’s houses as long as the big chunks are picked up. 😁😆

Cinque, happy to hear the the girls are mostly settled in already. It’s nice that the new place is easier to get to.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday with nice weather. It’s sunny here today with a high of 61 or 62 predicted. The flowers have fallen from the trees in front and have been replaced by green leaves. Our Camilla bush is getting ready to bloom any day now and one potted azalea is covered with pink flowers. Spring has sprung.
    Good morning to Rosy, Minka, Neil, Penguin, Merry, Betsy, Anzac, Quacka, Turn, Rabette, and anyone else I’ve forgotten.

Hello friends!

Ahhh…bliss…work is all finished and the three of us are safely ensconced in my sister’s beach house in beautiful Culburra. Maxx doesn’t understand daylight savings so we were all up at 5.10am but we watched the most beautiful sunrise.

The weather is perfect – 31 yesterday and high 20’s today and tomorrow.

We’ll probably have a bit too much to eat and drink on our holiday but have vowed that when I start the new job next week the wine will be given a long rest and my FD’s will be back with a vengeance

Hope everyone is having a great weekend

5.30am Sunday. Daylight savings is now finished and as usual it takes a week or so for my body time clock to adjust. I will feel tired and out of wack waking up extra early as I did this morning- 4am wake up.

OH has been on this WOL for about 12 months now. We have been together for 18 months and prior to that he was on his own for just over 2 years as his wife passed away. He tells me that his wife didn’t like to cook and he didnt know how so they lived on take aways and packaged food. I carry a photo of him from about 15 years ago in my purse and he certainly was overweight. He had a triple heart bypass at age 40 and even after that they never changed their eating habits. OH tells every one that I am responsible for his good health and weight loss and he tells me constantly how he loves his new WOL. Does make me feel proud I must say.

Even MissD has given up a lot of the packaged food she used to love and is slowly trying and liking new healthy foods.

The kitchen and pastry are the last of the major internal reno jobs. Once that’s installed the new lino can be laid in the kitchen and dining room and then we just have to give all the windows trims a fresh coat of paint.

The next job will be to update the back verandah. The landing and steps were badly designed and need to be demolished and rebuilt, paving needs updating and landscaping for the back yard which had to be totally dug up to relocate the septic system as per council building rules to allow us to extend the existing back verandah. But we will take a breather for a few months, save some money and tackle that job later in the year. We really need some kick back and relax time after 6 months of building and reno madness.

0.2 kg weight loss for the week which is what I was expecting. Any loss is better than none.

Time to grab a second coffee and start on the walls again. OH was very proud of my efforts yesterday repairing the holes in the walls, some were small (coin size) while others were quite large (half a metre square) – thank goodness for YouTube ‘how to’ videos….Lol. Sanding, a few touch ups with gyprock cement, and a final sand later today and the job will be done. Happy Sunday all

That should read pantry not pastry…lol

Good morning everyone,
    Ooh it is lovely to have an extra hour. And I have it over and over again all day, every time I look at a clock.

Gday, I knew you meant pantry! 😀

Just a quick post today as I’ve given myself backache from sitting at the computer too much. I’m being careful and sensible now.

Turnabout, you did well at the food show!

Talking of tv, they’ve started a new series of The Brokenwood Mysteries here and I do enjoy it and think of my NZ friends as I watch it.

Klondi, little Mr G is very smart, but I am very glad my oats don’t come from goats! I’m very glad that soup is being enjoyed.

Sadly it is the most communal one of us who is oraganising this BBQ, he has organised a couple before, but this time it is because he is moving out. He is the neighbour I have coffee with on Monday mornings and we talk about all the interesting things. Luckily he won’t be too far away. But we will miss him here. Everyone is good with helpfulness and support and not being too demanding so it is a good block of flats. I wonder what sort of person will move in next?

Cali, I’m so glad the rissoles work. I completely agree with you about the breadcrumbs, grated veggies are wonderful in taking their place to make the rissole soft.

Lovely to hear of your springtime trees. It is all Autumn here, but very beautiful.

Anzac, enjoy every minute!

Gday, so sensible to give yourselves a break from the relentless renovating. So glad you will have your new kitchen soon!

Cheers all

All the best adjusting to the time change eastern staters. We don’t have daylight savings in the west because it confuses the curtains and fades the cows. Or was it the other way round?

Turn, I loved ‘Line of Duty’ and agree it was quite hard to work out which cops were corrupt. I hadn’t realised there was a new series. Unfortunately, the TV text guide in Oz doesn’t give the series number and year made and they keep trotting out repeats endlessly without putting ‘Rpt’ next to it, so I rely on Netflix for all my viewing now. It sounds like you are enjoying a wonderful life, and a very healthy one too, now that you’ve sold your business.

Cinque, have a lovely BBQ. Shame the organiser is leaving. We have a wonderful ‘street’ community here which I cherish. So many fabulous neighbours on a shortish street of 42 houses. All except next door it seems. I may have misread the neighbours’ intentions when I was eavesdropping their domestic and noticing all the boxes in the front garden. According to another loud conversation with their pool service man yesterday, they are planning on staying. Whether that meant in Australia or in the house for another year I am unsure but I came inside and burst into tears at the thought of another summer living next door to them.

CalifD, glad you enjoyed rissoles! I always associate them with grissle, I think from a bad experience as a child. We used to call them grissoles. Yours sound very yummy.

GDSA, good job converting your OH to a healthier WOE. Maybe you could have a go at converting mine.

Klond, that’s interesting about how you’re developing your running time. Did I say 5k? I meant 5 MILES a day. It was an obsession.

Anzac, hurray! You deserve that lovely weekend of relaxation.

FD for me. My favourite FD dinner – 50g smoked salmon, 80g steamed asparagus and a poached egg with 1tbs plain yogurt with fresh dill and lime juice.

Hi all

Thin. You did say 5 miles. I think that is 8k. Aiming for 5k is almost the equivalent of a marathon in my previous thinking but the idea of running 10k is now peeping over the hill. One goal at a time. The program is 3 runs a week and that is enough for me. Sorry about the neighbours, does it get better in the colder weather and less pool use?

We also liked the versatility of rissoles because they were a great way of sneaking vegies into the kids meals. In fact, they became known as zucchini burgers which morphed into bikini burgers over time. The range of ingredients is endless.

I need to get back into ‘Line of duty’. Typical nuanced British drama with twists and turns. I agree that there is a grittiness and complexity in British TV which seems to be lacking in many US shows. Shows like ‘Vera’ and ‘Happy Valley’ with human beings grappling wIth their own lives and ‘Killing Eve’ which is very quirky.

Rosy. Which AFL team do you follow, if it’s the Eagles you will be very happy.

Our Saturday night movie tonight was binge watching the first 4 episodes of “Hanna” an Amazon Prime movie based on an older movie of the same name. Two of the main characters (besides Hanna) were Mireille Enos and Joel, the two detectives from “The Killing”. She looked quite different with a more business like hairdo. She plays an off book CIA agent and he’s a fugitive. There are 8 episodes. So far it’s been very good. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6932244/

Klondi, season 2 of “Killing Eve” starts here tomorrow. That certainly is one weird show. I’ll probably have to watch the last episode of season 1 to recall where it left off.

Cinque, Autumn is my favorite season but after this cold winter I’m happy to see Spring arrive. If only it would get a little warmer! We set our clocks ahead for daylight savings time a couple weeks ago. I really wish they would do away with that. I don’t like waking up in the dark when it changes.

Hi Klond, I bet you’ll be running 10k in no time. I did the odd 10k race but never trained more than 5 miles which, as you say, is a couple of kms short of a 10k. I worked in a hospital and a group of us therapists and doctors used to run as a team in various events for fun. I recently came across a photo of us on the beach after a run in San Diego and was amazed that I used to think I was fat back then. I weighed 132lbs.

Normally pool activity ends next door as soon as April arrives. But these people are from Scotland and they’re still going. Incredibly, it’s going to be 36C one day this week. Thanks for the recommendation on ‘Killing Eve”. I can’t remember whether I’ve seen that one.

CalifD, hi! Good to know that those great actors from “The Killing” found more work. I’ll look out for “Hanna”.

FD almost over – was I the only one? What’s happened to LJ today?

Hi all, successfully negotiated the weekend. A couple of potential stumbling blocks were safely negotiated. My wife and I had date night and we went out for dinner, I suggested a Japanese restaurant so I could fill up on some Miso soup and then got a seafood tepan yaki plate and just ignored the rice that it was served with. The BBQ for my parents was great, I got to catch up with plenty of their friends that I hadn’t seen since their 65th birthday. Although I probably went well over the 800 calories for the day, I kept my eating to just lean meat and salad with my treat being 1 tablespoon each of pavalova, cheesecake, cake and ambrosia. I probably won’t be losing as much this week because of the extra calories eaten, but at least I didn’t pig out on chips, garlic bread and pasta

Enjoying a frothy postFD Monday morning coffee with no posts to read but my own. I might have to resort to reading the news. Back to the low 58s. All is well. Have a great day everyone.

P.S. Good morning Neil, well done negotiating the weekend fare.

Good morning everyone, a beautiful morning here. Melbourne, Monday morning, 7:45. Surprise fast Day.

I am still enjoying my extra hour. I even like the one at the other end of the year, Cali, because I love the extra hour of light in the evening.

I didn’t last long at the BBQ because I was tired, but it was lovely. I tried to make a retro savoury lemon jelly centrepiece, with salad, mostly greens from my garden around it. A bit of a fail because I unwittingly bought sweetened gelatine, but others did say it was (surprisingly) nice, made with lemon juice and thyme and went particularly well with chicken.

And I will enjoy my fast day today.

Thin, I hope your Sunday fast day was a good one. Sigh, re the neighbours. They will go eventually.
    Edit: Just saw you post. Congratulations. 58 does seem to be your new normal.
    Neil: What an excellent weekend, Cheers.
    LJoyce, did you have a lovely family meal?
    Klondi, all power to you with your running.

I did a bit of gardening yesterday, and today I am hoping to do some more, and some inside organising.

Wishing you all a healthy and productive day.

Good morning, glad everyone enjoyed their extra hour sleep in and it sounds like everyone had a great weekend

We are still enjoying an incredible faux summer with temps in the low 30’s Saturday, Sunday and today. The three of us have had several swims and the ocean is just gorgeous. And it’s April! We’ve taught Maxx how to jump over the waves so he is much more confident and even body surfed a wave back to shore once! You should have seen the look on his face

We will stay here until Wednesday then head back home to get a few things done around the house before I start the new job on Monday. I could so easily retire and stay here forever; it is peaceful and we love the beach and it’s dog Friendly. Yesterday we ran into a group during the off-lead morning time with 5 golden retrievers on the beach and there was instant yellow dog chaos! But in a good way 😀 The humans are so friendly too.

OH and I are enjoying cooking together and making fairly healthy meals with our furry sous chef 😜

I’ve taken some nice photos but I’ll have to figure out how to load them on my phone.

I’ll post this now before I lose it. Take care all

Good afternoon everyone.

Dinner went well last night, but it was a lot of prep. I made a largely Indian meal. The full menu was
    Starter: cheese board & potato gems (for the littleies)
    Mains: tandoori lamb cutlets, butter chicken, Masaman beef curry (Thai rather than Indian), raita, salad, papadams and homemade roti
    Dessert: fruit platter, key lime pie
    Several family members asked if they could have some leftovers to take to work for lunch today. Despite that I still ended up with a some of the beef curry which I will freeze for later.

Unfortunately I liked the key lime pie so much I ate 2 slices. Hence a very very light FD today. I did have enough sense to send the leftovers home with guests so I wouldn’t be tempted to consume a third slice!!
    Cali, whichever American invented that pie gets a big thumbs up from me, it was divine. I think I like it even more than lemon curd tart and that’s been vying with baked cheesecake for the top of my dessert list for while. The only annoyance was having to squeeze enough limes for 1 cup of juice – no off the shelf bottles of key lime juice available here. I read online that our persian limes are not as sour as your key limes, so I substituted some of the limes with lemons. That was good as they are easier to squeeze, jucier and cheaper.

Turn, I hope that food tasting morning was kind to you on the scales. It does sound as if you approached it sensibly.

Neil, it sounds as if your approach to the birthday was also very sensible. Does that mean no beers?

Cali, friends of mine have subscribed to Amazon Prime, solely so they can access the Good Omens series – have you seen that yet? It does sound good and funny (in a very British way) – based on a book by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman. They’ve also been watching American Gods on Amazon which is apparently also good, although a bit violent (and also by Neil Gaiman). I’m still not tempted to spend money on pay tv – for a single person household the cost is hard to justify.

Anzac, hope you are enjoying the days at the beach. I suspect Maxx is having a ball – glad to hear he made some new friends. You’ll need to repost the photos though.

Cinque, I’m pleased to hear you were energetic enough for gardening – do you still have any veg growing? I’m still picking plenty of eggplant, a few cherry tomatoes, spinach and sorrel. The bugs got to the zucchini plants and as I won’t spray I decided it was time to put them in the green bin.

Thin & Klondi, just reading about running 5kms makes me feel tired, then alone the plan for 10! My running style is very ungainly and only used when trying to avoid being run over or to catch a bus that’s about to depart.

GDSA, I have everything crossed that the tradies wtick to the new schedule and you do get your kitchen sorted soon. You are going to love having a proper walk-in pantry – they are wonderful for storage.

Hello to everyone else who’s reading.

Time for my second pot of tea for the day. I would normally have had it sooner, but after yesterday’s excess I needed to concentrate a bit more on getting enough water on board.

Hi all,

Well the scales were certainly kind to me today with aother 300gm loss so 1.3kg for the week!! Woohoo!! That was with Fridays play day too, so quite pleased with that effort. I went for a quick walk/jog this morning to try and up the anti a bit, walked about 8kms with hubby round a lake this afternoon, hopefully walking uphill tomorrow.

Sounds like you are having a fab time at the beach Anzac and I love your furry sous chef!!! hahahaha

Well done on your weekend Neil, glad you didn’t miss out on the desserts, great to catch up with family after a while, eh?? I get like that with seeing my folks every couple of years, much more fun!

I hope you have a had a good FD today Thin, yes, we do try to be healthier, keep telling myself “no excuses now!” I have set my mind to it this time and my travel scales have arrived, although I don’t get to pick them up just yet, long story!!!

I also forgot one important piece of the fat jigsaw for me Klondike, in answer to your weight gain question, I packed up smoking about the same time I met OH, so that contributed hugely to my weight gain initially!! Now been stopped for longer than I was smoking so well over it now and have never wanted to return to it!

Best start on dinner, Happy Monday everyone,

Turn

Ha, no, I didn’t have any beersies at the bbq but I did have my 2 normal Friday night beers. I was really pleased that I got my first non-family comments on my weight loss at the bbq. It really helps keep you motivated when you get several people coming up and giving you some nice positive comments.

Anzac, I just discovered that the photo links you posted worked on my iphone but not on my laptop. I hadn’t realised there was difference before.

Congrats on the weight loss Turn.

Neil, glad you didn’t miss out on the beer. Comments from others can be really motivating. When you see yourself in the mirror daily the changes can be hard to spot, but those that only see us occasionally can usually be relied on to notice.

Hi all

Neil sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Love Japanese food and catching up with friends is always good. Nice that your parents have coordinated the birthdays. Those positive comments are just the best. Someone said that nothing tastes as good as being thin.

Anzac. Congrats on a lovely break in a beautiful spot. Love the sunset photo. If your sous chef is like ours, your floor is very clean as he mops up any spills.

Cinque I have never seen sweetened gelatine. Where did you get it? You might be losing your social coordinator but he has left with a nice legacy.

LJ. Wow, your family must look forward to the monthly treat. What a menu and take home as well. If you have room in your garden, can I suggest you plant a Tahitian lime tree and if you can find one, get one which has other citrus grafted on. These limes are extremely juicy and no seeds with a lovely tart taste. Another fruit tree option is a Fruit salad tree. There is a company which will graft up to 6 stone fruits on the one root stock. Certainly helps when you have limited space.

Turn. That’s a great result. Motivation to keep going and keep moving. Fortunately I was never tempted to smoke but OH did until his early 40s and maintained a healthy weight but didn’t modify his eating and drinking after he quit and has never been able to lose the weight he gained. Glad he isn’t smoking now , a much worse health hazard.

Rosy. Regarding your chubby bum, perhaps our maintainers can shed some light on this. I have heard that, over time, the body changes shape as if the fat gets redistributed. Has this been anybody’s experience?

FD today for me and a bit of a strange one. Completely forgot at lunch time and had a small salad instead of miso soup so now it’s miso soup tonight. Not sure how that will sustain me until bedtime. I should pay more attention.

Hi Klondi, I follow the West Coast Eagles, the Dockers ( because I am a proud West Australian) and anyone that plays Collingwood ! Hub and I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday night’s game which proved the grand final of last year wasn’t a fluke !

Re chubby bums, it is because of the first on last off fact, so with pears like I, my bum and thighs were the first place I originally gained weight, whereas with apples, which most women are, the first place they gain weight is their waist and hips and the last place is their bum and thighs.

On Sunday, hub and I drove to Rockingham where our Retreat Caravan dealer is located , as they had an open day. Hub picked the exterior of our new caravan and I picked the interior. A lot of fun !

Hi everyone, just a quick post – have tried to catch up, but so many posts to read!

Glad Anzac65 is still with us, and that also you’re surviving the change related to daylight savings, for those to whom it applies.

Thinatlast, wasn’t suggesting you buy any Red Tulip Easter chocolate, just commenting that it was nice and thick – but also avoiding it this year (last year, I did okay till the after Easter half-price-to-get- rid-of-them sales; then I fell!). Have only bought a couple of small eggs for the neighbours’ children this year. Any more bridge exploits to share?

Great weight loss victories for Neilithicman and especially Rosy Posy. Do be realistic about your natural body shape, though. I’m also a pear, and I know that even when thin (in the far distant past!) I still carried extra weight on the hips and thighs, but other people didn’t notice. I’m sure it’s the same for you. But… how I remember the frustration of jeans, etc., where the waist was far too small for the hips. I’m pleased that a lot of pants for the “older” age range have elasticised waists these days so that’s no longer a problem for me.

Not a good weekend with food, but managed a CD today, so I feel like I’m finally back on track. It was like – okay, I’ve lost 10 kg, now let’s have a little break. But I can’t afford to stay there!

How are the hula-hoop champions going? Haven’t even bought a hoop yet, and suspect it may not happen.

Keep on the downward trail everyone (me especially!)

@betsy, the new jeans all come in stretchy fabric and also target different body shapes, so the problems of fitting jeans of the past have gone. As far as being realistic about your natural body shape, I am going to apply some logic and science. There are different body frames (bone structure) which you can google and find out what frame you have just by measuring your wrist and locating it on the table. This is your natural body shape about which you have to be realistic as it can’t be changed. Agreed.

Here is where I beg to disagree about the body shape as in apple, pear etc. This term comes about because of the first place you store any extra weight. If you have lost all your excess weight then you are no longer obviously a pear or an apple, with one exception: Appples tend to keep some of their bust( think Elle MacPherson) , whereas pears become almost flat.

I am going to persevere until the first place in which my body stores excess weight appears slim like the rest of me. I think I have given up too soon in the past. Near enough is not good enough for me this time.

Well done with your weight loss Turn.

Almost weigh-in time again. Tomorrow morning will be my second last weigh-in on the 12 week fast 800 stage of the diet. I’m hoping to get down to 110 Kilograms by the end of the 12 weeks. That would be a 21.5 total weight loss and leave me over halfway to my goal, with only 20 kilograms remaining to lose. I was 113 kilograms exactly at my last week’s weigh-in so I need to drop 3 kilograms this week and next week. If I do have a small week this week after the BBQ, then I’m really going to have to work hard in the last week. I’ve been hitting the exercise bike for 45 minutes 3 times a week, but I’m feeling like I could do more, so that would definitely be on the cards to help get me to my goal.

Morning all from a forecast 36C Perth! And another 4.30am start making a very long day.

Klond, we have a fabulous lime tree that yields juicy, delicious juice with no pips. It is prolific in winter but stops producing when I need a slice for a G&T in summer. My freezer always has a good supply of ice cube sized lime juice. I laughed reading how you’d forgotten it was your FD!

LJ, that sounds like a spectacular menu. Have you signed up for the bridge lessons?

Anzac, lovely photos of the beach.

Neil, fabulous result on the Fast800. Well done. What have you done with your old clothes?

Turn, great success for you also.

Betsy/Rosy, funny how we describe our bodies in terms of food!

Betsy, yes! I was presented with my ‘Graduate Master’ certificate at bridge yesterday. DD was cracking up, “That’s the same degree I have, Mum”. She thought it so funny that it took me exactly one year of playing to earn a whopping 2.0 master points. And noted from the points chart on the back that, at that rate, to earn ‘Diamond Grand’ (15,000 points) it will only take me another 7500 years!

Good Morning everyone

Just a quick post to let you know I’m still here, still reading and still doings FDs. I had a successful FD yesterday with a yummy miso soup with veggies and tofu in it for dinner. Don’t fall over everyone, but OH even ate it and agreed it was yummy! I do admit that he added some meat to his but he still ate the rest, including the tofu!

Anzac, I can’t get the photos to open but I will try LJs suggestion and try on my phone later. How lovely to hear you are down in my area and that you are enjoying a nice break before starting your new job. You have been really lucky with the weather – it has been magical the last few days.

Hi to everyone and well done on the weight loss, losers. For those of us foundering a little – we will get our mojo back. I’m back to Naked 5:2, no modifications and just eating sensibly on my NFDs (she says after a naughty weekend which involved Chinese food and a huge Sunday night lamb and pasta dish). I’m still maintaining at the moment but I want to continue to lose, even if it’s slowly.

Hope you all have a lovely day x

Good morning,
    Cold but sunny here, and there was enough rain overnight to water my garden. Lovely.
    Melbourne, Tuesday morning

Hello to the warmer parts! Anzac, what a great holiday. beautiful photos! I couldn’t see them on my computer either, but after LJoyce’s post I checked them on my ipad, successfully.

LJoyce, great menu. I hope yesterday was a very good day.
    I pulled out my tomatoes and zucchini a few weeks ago. My poor zucchinis never recovered from my moving their pots. Lesson learnt.
    I have a couple of my mildly hot chilies a beautiful red, and the plants should survive until next year.
    My warrigal greens are taking off, I’ve got lots of coriander coming up and I have planted my own harvested seeds from rocket, mizuna and spring onions, plus rainbow chard seeds from a friend and radish seeds from the shop. Hopefully I will have a lovely range of things over winter. Plus I am getting things ready for my daughter’s little piece of garden.
    Oh yes, and marigolds! (calendular)
    Hello to your garden 🙂
    And everyone else’s too!

Turnabout, hooray for that steep downward trend. Nice work!

And Neil, hooray for those comments, it puts it all in the real world.
    Good luck over the next couple of weeks, it would be such a prize to get to that nice round 110kg at the end of the allotted time.
    But we will know you have succeeded anyway. We take the long view!

Klondi, you know how jelly packets contain gelatine, sugar and flavouring… well I bought Aeroplane ‘Create a Jelly’ packets in the supermarket, thinking they were just gelatine, but they are the gelatine and sugar, but without the flavouring. Sigh.

Only a week until The Gruffalo!

I hope your fast day ended up fine inspite of your lunch mix up. I had my classic miso soup in the evening.

Rosy Posy, our figures are fascinating. I hope your bum shape pleases you very soon.

Betsy, congratulations on your CD, and hopefully your 10kg loss is settling into your back brain and you will soon gather up excitement for the next few kilos loss.

Thin, so hot there today! Stay cool!
    I can tell you that Klondi’s limes are just like yours. Delicious. 🙂 (Thanks Klondi).
    Wow, Graduate Master of Bridge! Well done you!

Quacka, thanks so much for posting! Another delicious miso soup eaten yesterday. Keep on keeping on, and fingers crossed you get your mojo back soon. Be kind to yourself!

Hello to everyone, I’m having sensible, lots of veggie eating with big spaces in between, but definitely a second pot of coffee. Catch you later!

Good morning everyone, up at 4.30 am again today which is normal after a 2nd btb , liquids only fast day.

Klondi and Cibque , since you are both Melbournites, which AFL, team do you support? It’s a derby weekend in Perth this weekend as both Perth teams, the Eagles and the Dockers are playing each other.

There are many reasons why Melbourne appeals to me as a city in which to live. 1. It is the home of AFL and you get to see an AFL game every week
    2. It is the home of musical theatre which I love. They don’t always come to Perth and if they do, we are always last on the list.
    3. It’s a cultural city. 4. The shopping is fabulous.5 The restaurants are varied and brilliant. 5. The climate is cooler.

I don’t know where my post went, but I’ll repeat.

1 kilo exactly lost last week. I’m now at 112kg so I have 2 kg to lose next week to hit my goal of 110kg by the end of the 12 weeks fast 800. I’ll have to be strict with my eating and bust my butt on the exercise to get there. But even if I don’t get there, the fast 800 has been a huge success with 19.5 kilograms lost in just 11 weeks so far. I’m thinking of doing 4:3 from that week, fasting Monday Wednesday and Friday leaving Tuesday, Thursday and the weekend as normal eating days.

Hi all,

Weds mornig here in lower NZ, we might just hit 20’c today, but at this stage it looks unlikely! Fab day yesterday, mid 20’s and walked most of the afternoon, just beautiful with so many autumn colours around.

Neil – Wow, well done, thats amazing! I know the 800 is supposed to be about rapid weight loss but it really hasn’t been so rapid for me up until now as I have upped the exercise, and, most importantly the speed of the exercise, but it sounds like it has been rapid for you, I think that amount of loss is fabulous, you must feel very proud of yourself. I hope your boys encourage you to carry on? It’s also not so easy when you are the only one in the household on said WOL!! Congratulations.

Thanks for the kind words on my recent loss, it does feel good and it is continuing, down another 500gms today, must be the morning execise, not doing anything else different!!! What’s with the 4.30am starts, whatever time do you to bed/sleep to waken so early? I guess I’m not a morning person, have done my share of those but do miss some of the lovely sunrises!

Thin – Well done on the Graduate Masters, bet you’re well chuffed with that?

LJ – Your dinner menu sounded great, I couldn’t have possibly have managed to resist any of it, apart from the naan! Must have taken you so long? But it sounds like it was well worth it.

Off for a walk before out visiting an old friend today!

Happy fasting everyone,
    Turn

All quiet here today.

Cinque, thanks, the temperature was revised to 33C after I posted. Not nearly as bad as 36C but still very warm for April. Lucky you, having fresh coriander to hand. Other than herbs and citrus fruit, all we have now are our sweet potatoes. No idea when they’ll be ready. Does anyone know if we leave them in the ground until needed or harvest whatever’s there all at once?

Mushrooms soaking. 50g of chicken taken from last night’s Japanese BBQ chicken before preparing. Chinese cabbage thinly sliced. A nice piece of ginger ready to grate. Miso soup for dinner. A freezer full of cauliflower soup. All prepared for today’s FD.

Neil, that’s terrific. Does the Fast800 prescribe 12 weeks or was that your own customised version of it? And, if the former, what regime is recommended following the 12 weeks?

Rosy, are you considering retiring to Melbourne?

Turn, good morning. Our posts crossed. Thanks – well, I wouldn’t have mentioned that bridge milestone had Betsy not asked, it’s just a bit of a laugh to me. I don’t think the rate of weight loss is particularly important. I lost half a kg per week while in weight loss mode and was thrilled with it. People seem very impatient and Dr M. seems to take the view that if people don’t lose weight quickly, they will give up. I was always very happy to see a downward trend every week. I think people are more likely to get frustrated with a huge change to their lifestyle coupled with a small weekly loss. That’s why 5:2 is so brilliant. You can carry on as you were most of the time and see results.

Thin – It’s what I read in the fast 800 book that I got. Dr Mosley recommends 2 weeks on the fast 800 to start with and then to reassess. He says that you can then decide to do it for up to 8-12 weeks depending on how you’re feeling. He says you can then move to the 5:2 or 4:3 or whatever you feel comfortable with. I’m going to try to do 4:3 and see how that goes for me.

Neil, thanks for the info. That seems sensible. You’ve done brilliantly so far and I’m sure you’ll make a success of whichever plan you select.

Good morning,
    I’ve been losing track of days lately, but just as I started to get things for breakfast ready I remembered it was Wednesday so I put them away again and will have my fast day.

Rosy, I am a true Melbournian, I promise you, but I fail at AFL. Just not into it. After decades of people asking me which team I barrack for I thought, well, I am a Melbourne girl, and the skin I was given up north is connected to the spirit man, and Melbourne are the demons, so I will go for Melbourne. Now everyone says “What, that private school team! Why would you follow them?” and whenever I notice them they are not winning. So there you go.

If you come to live in Melbourne you might need to go to the footy with Klondi or Betsy instead.

Neil, huge success! And a good plan for after next week.

Turnabout, another big packet of butter gone! (500g). have a lovely time with your friend today.

Thin, so glad the weather was that bit gentler for you yesterday, and ours was a little warmer than the 15 forecast (it got to 16 😉 )

I do think Dr Mosley is right, that many, maybe most, people want to see immediate weight loss and get despondent when it doesn’t happen.
    I am glad this forum plays such a good role in reassuring people and taking a longer view and emphasising a sustainable way of eating. This is very different to most diet promises and blurbs and mantras though!

I do think his Fast800 is clever because it helps with immediate results and morphs into sustainable ways of healthy eating.

I am having a bit of excitement today! Instead of my shiitake and yuba miso soup tonight, I am going to have vegetable and fish miso soup. A change is as good as a holiday!

Hope your day is full of such excitement too 😉 Cheers everyone.

Good Morning everyone

The gremlins have struck again. I just lost a post I had half written. Luckily it was only a short one and I blame myself for it being lost lol.

Well it is Wednesday FD for me today and I just hope I can get through it. I am fighting a psychological battle at the moment because I am not losing weight. I admit I have been feeling like giving up. I think I know what the issue is though. I am trying to have these low calorie NFDs separate to my FDs and I am not succeeding at them, so that’s why I said I’m back to naked 5:2 yesterday. (thanks Cinque x for reminding me not to be too harsh on myself. I must remember how far I have already come)

Hi all, Sydney here. Checking in for a Wednesday fast day. Nothing but tea and water until this evening when I will have 2 poached eggs and some leftover Marley Spoon veggie bake.

Have you checked your waistline Quacka? in the past when my weight loss has stalled I have found my waistline reducing to be a good motivator. Agree with Cinque not to be too hard on yourself and just eat mindfully on your NFDs.

Happy Wednesday fasting!

Welcome Julzau

Thanks for the suggestion and you are right about eating mindfully on NFDs

I just read your other post re-committing to this way of eating. You know it works and I’m so glad you have found your way back to it. This forum helps me immensely on FDs and I am often checking for new posts to keep me distracted. I also check on NFDs too 🙂

All the best to you, Julzau and I hope you stay here with us 🙂

Our thin is a Graduate Master of Bridge. Who woulda thunk it? Congratulations, thin! I think you must have gotten there in record time. I agree about losing weight slowly and not having to make huge lifestyle changes to get there. It’s the only reason 5:2 is sustainable for me.
    I like it that limes and lemons produce fruit in the middle of winter when there aren’t other fruits producing. We had lots of Meyer lemons this year and the tree/bush is protected enough that we were able to leave them on the tree until needed up until almost the end of March. I wish we had a spot for a lime tree.

Cinque, it sounds like you’re well on your way with your winter garden. You have quite a variety of things growing. Nothing better than fresh picked salad ingredients.

Neil, you’ve done an amazing job with the weight loss so far. 1 kg in a week is great. All that matters is that you are headed downward. This isn’t a race. And once you get to maintenance, it’s boring. 😁

Anzac, the photos of the sunset and beach are beautiful. What a nice place to unwind after the stress of finishing up your last job.

Quacka, hang in there with the naked 5:2. I had a plateau every so often too when I was losing. If it went too long, I threw in an extra FD for the week and that usually got things moving again.

LJ, happy to hear that your Key Lime pie turned out great. It’s one of my favorites too, second only to Rhubarb Pie. Lemon curd pie is another favorite. Your dinner party menu sounds wonderful. I’m glad to hear that it all went well and that some of the leftovers went with your guests!

Julzau, welcome to the forum and back to 5:2.

Thin, Melbourne is very appealing for all the reasons I described but when I retire in about four year’s time, it will be Perth for sure. I love it too much !

Have you seen the Tv series Crown ? I really enjoyed it !

On second day of a B2B2B2B2B series of FDs (rather than FD800). Everything got off track because I plateau-ed, then got despondent about it and bought (and enjoyed) too much chocolate. Back on track now, and hoping to see the weight finally shift down. My weight has gotten below the “damage” of the past several days, so that’s a positive step right there. Quacka, don’t give up, and don’t follow my pattern, which I’ve had to rein back.

Thinatlast, congrats on the “Graduate Master” certificate. To boast – When I gave up Bridge in my early twenties, I was past the State Master score of blue and red MPs – that was 150 Mps when I was playing. Not sure if it’s the same now. Just giving you something to aim for!! 🙂

Neilithicman, incredible weight loss – well done, and keep it up. Nearly halfway to your goal weight is a tremendous effort. I’m about 1/3rd of the way for me, so still quite a lot of work to do. But it’s a WOL, not a race, so I’ll get there.

Watching the Australian swimming championships at the moment, so will finish off so I can concentrate on that. Let’s keep on keeping on the downward trail! 🙂

Hi all

Have been reading all posts but unexpected grandkid wrangling has limited my time for replying.

Rosy. I can’t believe that Collingwood dislike has crossed the Nullarbor. I’m a Doggie supporter and at least we have had some success this year. Choosing the finishes for your caravan must have been exciting. I bet December seems a long way off. Yes, Melbourne is a lovely city to live in but there is much to enjoy anywhere you live in Australia.

Turn. Well done on your 500. I bet you had many early starts in your old life and late finishes too. Must be nice to find your own rhythm now.

Betsy. All losses are great and 10kg was probably a distant dream once. By the way, which brand is better than Haigh? I used to buy their old fashioned choc frogs on the way home from the dentist. What hula hoop championship, have I missed something?

Neil. What a great result. Beers, date nights and various social occasions and 19.5kg banished. No wonder you had people commenting. Your family must be so proud of your efforts

Thin. It sounds like you have Tahitian lime too.. Mine always seems to have a couple of ripe ones but right now it’s going gangbusters and I have plenty for me and everyone else. I am very popular at the moment. By the way, I also can look back on some old photos of a very slim me and can’t believe that I wasn’t satisfied with the way I looked. Well done at bridge, did you get to gown up. Does this mean you have to play with the ‘big boys” now or can you still stay with the supervised class?

Quakka. Sorry to hear you are struggling. I hope you can find the inspiration to keep going. We are all here to cheer you on.

Hi Julzau. Welcome, glad you have found success, hope you can pop in more often.

Cinque. You are so productive with your garden and your DD will be grateful for your help. My FD finished ok. I just had miso soup for dinner instead of lunch and I only felt a little bit hungry before bedtime. Would not have happened a few months ago. I have just read that you nearly did something similar, must be the change in daylight saving, won’t suggest that our brains are failing. I don’t go to the footy much but get to a few games each year so I could keep Rosy company.

Calif. my lime tree seems to peak in May and I take several kilos with me on my trip north. They stay fresh for months. Have you considered having your tree grafted with a lime. I believe that can be quite successful. Othe citrus fruits work too. I intend to see if I can get a mandarin graft as that is one of the few fruits OH will eat.

Had a lovely day with three of the four grandkids today, deck is covered in glitter and chairs are lined up for a concert, lucky me.

Klondi, I am so relieved you are not a Collingwood fan either. On the front page of our newspaper yesterday it was complaining about Eddie Maguire being the main commentator for our western derby on Saturday. It described him as the most detested commentator. I’m not a fan of Collingwood coach either. No one here ever minds the Bulldogs. I don’t like Essendon much either especially after the supplements scandal. I like their coach John Worsfold though although they are trying to get rid of him and bring James Hird back. I think Adam Simpson, a Victorian, is a really good coach and a nice person. The Docker’s coach, Ross Lyon is unpopular here. Back to commentators, some of them are really measured and logical like Richo and Cameron Ling. Can’t tolerate Brereton who says the most ridiculous things nor Bruce McIlvaney who is very biased.

Good morning,
    A gentle one here and day after fast day for me. Thursday. Melbourne. 8am.

Quacka, more good wishes. My philosophy about not losing weight is to be relieved that at least you aren’t putting weight on.
    Such a good idea to get back to basics and concentrate on making 5:2 as easy and sustainable as you can, so that you won’t think giving up is easier. All power to you.

Julzau, welcome here! I hope you had a great day fasting yesterday and can now enjoy the wonderful morning-after-fast-day.
    Excellent waistline comment. (I’m one of the rare ones that doesn’t have scales, so waistline measurement, checking the mirror, and seeing how clothes fitted, were my way of seeing how I was going when I was losing weight). (I’m maintaining now).

Cali, Meyer lemons are my favourites too. I am pleased with my garden at the moment, and will be even more pleased if everything comes up.
    Do you do much to celebrate Easter (thinking house decorations and feasts)? (Can’t remember previous years, sorry).

I am thinking of making a traditional Italian Easter pie that is a special cheesecake with lots of soft-cooked whole wheat in it https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/neapolitan-sweet-wheat-berry-and-ricotta-pie-pastiera-napoletana
    I think I can cut down the sugar and it would still be delicious and I could have a slice. (haha wondering if I said the same thing last year. Didn’t manage to make it).
    (I have actually found a recipe for a savoury version but I have made the classic one a couple of times before and it is so wonderful.)

Enough of food! Sorry fasters! Hope you are feeling virtuous and can ignore that paragraph.

Betsy the B2x4 sounds a sensible way to get back on track and past the despondency. Sending good wishes. You have had your fill of chocolates last week so hopefully you can breeze through Easter without feeling deprived. I hope you can really treat yourself with exquisite small, nutrient rich, savoury meals.

Klondi, what a busy day you have had! Are your grandkids into Bluey? It is my favourite at the moment as I love how it portrays children’s games. Hoping you are getting some good rest between grandma duties, and time to do all your running etc!
    Haha, no, definitely not brain failing…. or not worse than usual! Only three brainfails this post.

Just completely ignoring your post Rosy 😉

Cheers all. Hope it is a great day.

Cinque, I take it you are not a footy fan. I have a question for you and the other experienced fasters. What do you think of water only fasts and do you think I should do one to get me to maintainance quicker. There is a thread called 60 hour water only fasts that has just started up.

Klondi you are playing Collingwood this weekend so I will be cheering for you.

Cinque, so pleased that you remembered that yesterday was your FD before you ate the breakfast! I nearly popped a mini cookie in my mouth without thinking after a relaxing massage yesterday but saved it for today’s NFD instead. That will be a nice little treat on the way to bridge when I discover it in the car. If OFMs didn’t find it first, that is.

Rosy and others, absolutely no idea what you’re talking about!

CalifD, Klond, Betsy, thanks for the accolades but really, ‘Graduate Master’ is a grandiose term for my measly 2 points! Especially when you consider we can use a cheat sheet and ask for help! Betsy, well done on getting to State Master and beyond. I don’t think I have enough years left for that. Wondering if LJ has started classes yet, I might have missed her reply when I asked recently. No, I don’t have to move to the novice group but I’ve convinced my partner to try it with me next week. We can only let each other down and it might be fun. Well, OK it probably won’t be fun but we might learn something.

Betsy, well done for putting yourself back on track.

Quacka, don’t give up! Please just do naked 5:2 and enjoy five days of having whatever you want. Those two days are then just nothing in the scheme of the week. It’s not going to work for you if life seems like a perpetual diet.

I was wide awake at 3am again. This is becoming annoying. I used to suffer periodic insomnia but at the other end of the night. I did get back to sleep for one hour this morning. The numbers on the scales after yesterday’s FD put a smile back on my face with 700g lost. Cinque I had miso soup for dinner too but chicken not fish. Those mixed mushrooms containing black fungi are highly recommended.

It’s daylight at last and so I’m off to walk. Have a great day all.

P.S. Rosy, good morning. I have no experience with water fasts except my 24hour travel day fasting when flying which involves no food at all. I’ll leave it to others to comment because you probably don’t want my my advice which would be to begin your long, sustainable 5:2 way of life! I think you’re doing more than enough already with your 5 B2B liquid only days.

Betsy – Thanks for that, it may not be a race, but I’m feeling so energetic now, I run up the stairs at work all the time now rather than take the lift. I’m really keen to get to my goal weight as soon as possible so I can feel even more energised.

Rosy – I know you weren’t addressing me, but personally I’m dubious of any water only fasts. It just reminds me of those juice cleanses where you drop a ton of weight in a few days but it’s all water weight and you gain it all back when you start eating again. I always thought you have to eat a decent amount of protein when fasting.

I got the darkest result on my ketosis testing strips last night so I must be burning some fat at the moment, I can’t wait for my final Fast800 weigh-in next Wednesday. I’m investigating the new gym that opened right across the road from my work. It’s so handy that I could pop across on my lunch break for a quick blast. I think I’m going to do that to try and keep myself motivated over winter. So many times now I’ve dropped weight in summer when Tennis is in full swing, then turned into a slug over winter and piled it back on again. The gym are a 24 hour gym and have a 3 month membership for $240 which would see me through the coldest months.

Good Morning everyone and thank you all for your support and encouragement. x

Yesterday’s FD was successful although I was a bit hungry after dinner so I ate a corn thin with a smear of philadelphia cheese. Today’s weight was back into the 65s and I am happy again. I checked my weight loss check ins on Calorie King and in a month I have maintained my weight. So I guess I know how to maintain when I finally get to where I want to be!

The other thing is that psychologically I am actually happy with where I am now. I don’t know why I set my goal at 60kg as it is just a number to me really. I am fitting into my favourite old clothes and buying some really nice new ones and I actually like shopping again. People are still commenting on my weight loss and people that I work with have said that I have definitely lost more weight (the scales don’t say it but I’m thinking my body is changing shape anyway). So back to naked 5:2 it is for me and if I maintain then so be it, if I slowly lose more, then so be it. The only thing that is NOT going to happen, is to gain weight.

Well I have to go do some work. Last day of the week for me and tomorrow I am off shopping with my friend. Hahahahaha. It seems I have finally found a hobby I like!
    Uh oh 😉

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is good to be back on the forums. Had a successful fast day yesterday and was thrilled when I got on the scales this morning and saw the number reducing. How good does that feel? I know there are days ahead when it won’t move but am enjoying the feeling today.

Well done @quacka for being happy with your results and enjoy your shopping trip.

I have committed to NOT buying any new clothes this year which is an interesting challenge for me. I have soooo many clothes and only end up wearing a few of them so made the decision to try and use what I have. I am looking forward to re-discovering some of them as my weight drops.

Happy fasting Thursday fasters. I will be doing Monday and Thursday next week so will be joining you. Mindful eating for me today!

Viewing 50 posts - 20,351 through 20,400 (of 28,017 total)

You must be logged in to reply.