Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 2 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,301 through 20,350 (of 28,029 total)

• Are musk sticks anything like the pink smoker lollies? I used to eat them as a kid.

My favourite soup is curried pumpkin soup. You fry onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in a big pot, add some coriander seeds, cumin seeds and Masala powder. Throw in some diced pumpkin and toss to coat in the spice and onion mixture then add enough stock to just cover the pumpkin. You simmer until the pumpkin is cooked and blitz it up with a blender, then mix through some coconut cream/coconut milk and throw in some fresh coriander leaves to serve

Neil, that’s fantastic, well done. And this time, you won’t be re-gaining because you have a sustainable way of eating.

Klond, you are so right about the memories. My OH has some audio cassettes of his mother speaking of her childhood. Audio cassettes! With the added burden of getting them transcribed to the latest format. I wish someone had done the same with my grandmother who had a very interesting childhood.

Rosy, my OH prefers cooking on the flat plate side of our BBQ. I use the slatted side because I feel the grease has a place to escape. We’ve moved away from regular BBQ cooking in recent summers though as it’s not a healthy way to cook food. We do use our BBQ oven for cooking the Christmas turkey and that’s proven a real winner.

Good Morning everyone

Breakthrough! The oven has been approved for replacement. I spoke to another customer service officer yesterday and she told me that my claim was in its final stage and that I should receive a text message today (yesterday), which I did about 2.5 hours later. The text advised it would take approximately 5 days for the oven to be sent to the electrician so I will hopefully have a new oven before Easter…….

Cali, those American foods sounded very weird but I can’t add wonderful to that. One of the most intriguing ones was the deep fried watermelon. I think that would be a very interesting experience.
    Yes, I have eaten musk sticks. I actually liked them when I was younger but I recently had one and they are awful. I really think it is because they are now made so cheaply and all the ingredients are probably fake substitutes for the real ones. Also, I just don’t have the appetite for those kind of sweets anymore.

Neil, well done on the weight loss. You are powering along! Keep up the awesome job.

Anzac, I hope your day is a better one today. Put the stress eating behind you and look forward. I also had a feast yesterday and amazingly the scales are not showing it today. Hmmm, let’s see what they say tomorrow. My dear mother in law managed to trip me up again. Well, I can’t really blame her as it was my choices. She gave us a kg of fresh school prawns which she knows we both love. OH likes to eat them on fresh white bread rolls with lettuce tomato and mayonnaise. I prefer just to eat them as is, with a beer of course. Unfortunately last night I had the rolls as well. I have had my carb pig out for the week so no more!

Rosy, I love soups. My favourite is Avgolemono which is a Greek chicken and lemon soup. I have made it a couple of times but my Mum makes the best one, of course. Oh, that reminds me of a funny story. So to finish this soup, ready to serve, you beat together some egg white and then slowly add a ladle of the hot soup (broth) to temper the egg mixture then pour it back into the hot broth. I think you add some lemon to that too, it’s been so long I can’t remember! This gives the soup some creaminess which is nothing like adding cream to soups though. Anyway, I have always helped Mum when she was making it when we were younger, my job being to slowly pour the hot broth in while she continued beating. So the first time I made it I beat six eggs and then proceeded to do the rest of the steps. It was so funny because I ended up with this huge meringue like thing on top of my soup and I couldn’t understand what went wrong. I asked Mum and she said that for a whole huge pot of soup she only ever used two eggs!! Six eggs in my little pot of soup almost did make a meringue which is what it reminded me of!!!!!! Ha haha ha haha. Live and learn šŸ˜‰
    I also make a really yummy cauliflower broccoli soup with a curried chick pea topping. The recipe is on taste.com.au but if you can’t find it let me know. It is really simple and delicious. I love Minestrone too and I could go on and on with the soups I love. Don’t forget the yummy Thai ones. Mmmmmm. Oh and Miso soup. Oh dear.

Ok it is a FD for me today so now my mouth is watering at the thought of all the yummy soups. I got a massive cauliflower for $3.50 yesterday which is a bargain as they have been $6.50 lately and emptying my wallet! Celery is still $6.50 a bunch though and it is not even a good size bunch.

I am going to make a cuppa and ignore my thoughts of yummy soups…..

Have a great day all x

CalifD, interesting to note that beetroot (beets to you) doesn’t feature on the Australian burger or taco entree menu! They know better than to try and serve that in the USA. When we first came here, we were hankering for Mexican food but couldn’t find anything that even came close. Not that tex mex is authentic Mexican food but, even so, I don’t expect to find beetroot in a taco. So it seems a bit cheeky for an Australian restaurant to serve tacos in America!

Morning Quacka, good news about the oven. I still have several weeks’ worth of cauliflower soup made as I wait for the price of cauliflower to come down. I’m fasting with you today. Looking forward to it after 3 NFDs which didn’t seem right for this end of the week. 58.2kg and very happy.

Do the musk sticks taste kind of like musk cologne smells? I remember musk perfume was very popular back in the 70ā€™s. I think they still sell it. But I canā€™t imagine a candy having that essence. (I did wear musk cologne back in the day.)

Cinque thank you for posting the chicken soup recipe. It sounds good. Neil, the pumpkin soup sounds great too. I will have to try both.

Rosy, BBQ baby back ribs with a sweet, smokey BBQ sauce are good. There are several take away restaurants in this area that specialize in those. We eat them only occasionally. Clam chowder is always popular, especially on Fridays in a lot of restaurants. I like pecan pie, but only a very small slice. As much as I like sugar, it tastes overly sweet and rich to me.

Thin, funny that the Outback serves tacos when they arenā€™t popular there. When the restaurant started out years ago, it was mostly just steaks and they were some of the best. Theyā€™ve definitely diversified.

Good morning everyone.

Neil that is a woo hoo indeed. Well done on the loss, you are going so well.

Quacka, very happy to hear that the oven will be replaced soon. I hope it’s installed by easter.

Cali, there seems to be a theme with those county fair foods. Just dip something in batter and deep fry it and people will apparently eat it. Our version of county fairs were called country shows – I think the “show” came from the origin of the annual events where farmers showed their animals and prizes were awarded for the best ram, ewe, beef steer, laying hen etc. The women in the family would cook up a storm and cakes and preserves would also be judged. I won a prize for my scones in our local show as a kid. The big treat food at these shows was fairy floss (coloured spun sugar) – which I don’t really like. I also remember it being the first time I’d tried a freshly cooked donut rolled in cinnamon sugar and eaten while still warm – it’s still the only way I like donuts. Which is a good thing, as they are not readily available in this form – everyone else seems to prefer them cold with icing on top.

Quacka, I also like Aagolemono, but my favourite Greek soup is Fassolatha. A school friend of mine’s parents emigrated from Greece and all my early experiences with Greek food were from her mothers cooking. She made fassolatha with brown lentils rather than beans and always finished it off with a little lemon or vinegar. I still make it all these decades after first tasting it.
    That was a bargain cauliflower, I paid $3.50 for a small half last week.

Rosy, I love soups they are the backbone of my winter cooking and the most common dinner on FDs in cold weather. My favourites are pumpkin & lemon pureed soup, minestrone, cauliflower cheese soup (from one of Mollie Katzen’s books). I also do quite a few legume based soups, especially using lentils.

Hello to everyone else. I need to get moving as I have to catch a train to city shortly. I’m having lunch with ex-work colleagues today. I was going to have the beef masaman curry but I am sorely tempted by the noodles – which I rarely allow myself to have. I’ll debate it on the train. This is the lunch menu for the cafe we are going to http://starofsiam-adelaide.com.au/assets/media/StarofSiam_Lunch.pdf

Hello again everyone,

We have had a lovely sisters breakfast and chat, a visit to the op shop, and now everyone has left and I get to chat to you lot. šŸ™‚

Nice question Rosy, about a favourite soup. I love so many soups (pumpkin soup, lentil soup, cauliflower, celery, zucchini, favabean, chicken noodle, miso, cabbage and sausage, mung bean, and more) and would happily have soup every day, but I would make at least 20 different soups over the year. I have chosen an absolute favourite that is such a nourishing meal:

Libbyā€™s Harira Recipe.
    Moroccan Serves 6.

150g chickpeas soaked, drained and rinsed
    2 handfuls of parsley, roughly chopped (set a little aside for garnish)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 red onions minced
    200g lamb shoulder diced
    1 handful inner celery leaves, roughly chopped,
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp freshly gr black pepper
    Ā½ tsp gr ginger
    1 tsp gr cinnamon
    1.5 litres water
    Ā¾ cup red lentils
    2 handfuls coriander leaves
    500g ripe tomatoes, peeled
    1 tsp harissa
    Salt
    Lemon juice

Heat oil in large pot and saute onions, lamb, parsley, celery leaves, turmeric and pepper until the lamb is lightly browned.
    Add chickpeas, ginger, cinnamon and water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook at least 1 Ā½ hours until the chickpeas are tender.
    Wash and drain the lentils.
    Roughly chop a small quantity of the coriander leaves and set aside. Puree the remaining coriander leaves and tomatoes and add to the pot with the lentils and harissa. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
    Season to taste
    Just before serving add lemon juice and sprinkle with reserved coriander and parsley

Not much meat, but it makes such a meaty tasting soup.
    Both this and my chicken soup, posted earlier, freeze fine.
    And so does the mung bean soup!

Neil, excellent to have such a nice loss this week, and I know you can be confident that this time, once you get down to your healthy weight, you will be able to stay there.
    Not only that, you have your son contributing to your recumbent bike!

Quacka, Woot! re the oven!

Thin, my daughter is a bit closer and a lot easier to get to. They would have liked to stay in Docklands but there is no primary school there. They are planning to stay in East Brunswick for a good few years now.
    I’ll look out for ‘Traitors’ but I don’t have Netflix. It will come to free-to-air eventually I am sure.

Haha, I bet you aren’t below the healthy BMI range. I’m betting you will settle where you are, and your doctor will be pleased.

It was lovely sister time thanks LJoyce, Anzac

Cali, the girls still seemed quite unsettled yesterday, I’ll see what they are like when I babysit tonight. My daughter is very good at staying calm and making things easy for them in unsettled times, so I am sure they will settle quickly.

Klondi, sorry to miss that big lost post, but thankyou for yesterday’s beautifully written catch up. And yes, the mung bean stew freezes fine.
    So exciting to know the Gruffalo tickets are there. And yes, I’ll tell you about Thin’s book.
    I laughed at the dog under the bed story.

Anzac, do you need to negotiate extra hours? At a higher rate to balance out the stress eating?
    Keep looking after yourself all you can. I am glad you are getting Maxx therapy.

Rosy, doesn’t sourdough go beautifully with so many soups. I love the sound of that carrot, cumin and coriander soup.
    Your salad is brilliant too.

My experience of Australian cuisine began very Anglo with the food we ate as children in the 60’s, and then the exciting addition of Mediterranean vegetables from Melbourne’s large Italian and Greek populations (garlic, zucchini, eggplant, capsicum) in my teenage years, with some good Indian and SE Asian recipes sneaking as a result of so many young people travelling in the 70’s. Avocados and Italian coffee took hold.
    In the 80’s nouvelle cuisine and some star restaurants showcasing modern Lebanese, Italian, Asian and getting into the fusion foods. We were probably more similar to California at that time, than anywhere else in the world.
    By the 90’s we had a good name for exciting fresh food, especially Sydney based, but great things happened all over. Interest in indigenous foods, star chefs and restaurants, local wonderful produce… And so it continues.
    I was never much of a restaurant goer, but saw everything filter down into the markets and home cooking and the recipe books I read. Cuisine? A bit nebulous and changing with world fashions, but it is here.

This series is on SBS Food at the moment, haven’t seen it yet but I think I will : http://natgeotv.com/asia/saras-australia-unveiled/about have you heard of Sara La Fountain, Cali?

Oops it is nearly 1pm I’d better have an afternoon rest. Bye now.

I’ve never heard of Musk sticks and have to say they sound quite revolting!!! Being bought up in the UK we used to have a fair come to town around the time of my birthday every year and my treat was the ‘candy floss’ the spun sugar on a stick, even watch it being made, couldn’t even bear to look at it now, never mind eat it. I’m with you LJ, all they seem to do at fairs is dip food in batter and deep fry it. I do have to confess though to an indulgence for churro’s, first tasted at a rural weekday farmers market somewhere in France a few years ago, have made them several times since and just love them. So delicious when freshly made.

Neil – I remember enjoying watching and eating the guy making crepes at the Dunedin farmers market, scrumptious, I had the savory one, OH the sweet one (of course!!) but they were both beautiful!

It sounds like everyone is gearing up for soup weather, my favourite time! Just about to cook up the chicken carcass into a soup stock ready for tomorrow nights dinner, pork steak with cauliflower rice and salad tonight.

Making the most of the afternoon sun, worth having a cold morning!

Turn

Hi all

Neil. You are the winner this week. All on Fast800 and beers. You haven’t chimed in with any iconic NZ cuisine yet. There must be something you can think of.

Yes, musk sticks and musk Lifesavers do have that distinctive aroma and taste like they smell. I found this site. https://nomadsworld.com/australian-food/ And we all forgot Tim Tams, Australia’s gift to the world. Must admit I don’t think witchetty grubs should be included, it might be a native food but I’ve never seen one let alone eaten one. I would like to add Granny Smith apples and Macadamia nuts

Thin. From memory, wasn’t there a poster in W.A who you met whose job was transcribing or maybe you can give DD a project while she is applying for work.

Cali. We thought ‘chicken fried steak’ in a Paula Dean restaurant was bad enough. What is it with USA that deep frying is so popular. I once saw Dr M on a program where he went to a US restaurant where you could eat for free if you were over 350lbs. That’s the sort of food they served.

LJ. I once had fresh doughnuts straight out of the cooker and it is the only time I have enjoyed them. The way they serve them now is revolting and I have never been tempted. Fairy floss, I loved but now they just seem to sell pre-made packets and that also has to be fresh. So another temptation gone.

Rosy. Your salad sounds amazing, no wonder it is so popular. I love a good, flavourful pumpkin soup, I have also found a cauliflower soup which has more flavour then you would think, tastes almost like mushroom which is another one I like but I will have to find some more recipes which don’t rely on cream. I make Cinque’s mung bean stew which I think of as a soup and I’m going to try her chicken soup. Drumsticks are so cheap, it will be very economical.

Cinque. It sounds like your sister no.1 is being well looked after and enjoying having a birthday. My sister’s birthday is April 1 ( yes, April Fools Day) and I was always envious because nobody forgot her birthday. We took her out for lunch too and had a lovely catch up. She’s in Ballarat so we went to her.

Minka. Glad to see your still around and soldiering on, are you still using the Inulin? Do you have to continue after the visceral fat has gone?

Just back from op shopping. Some active wear for when I jog, still at it, I can go for 25 minutes now. A new top, two pair of jeans which make my legs look very slim and a toy keyboard for 4yo grandson who I’m sure will be a performer one day. Did some food shopping as well, just as broccoli and cauliflower become affordable, tomato prices go through the roof. Just wondering if there is any reason not to make broccoli rice instead of cauliflower rice. Has any one tried it? Well, first FD almost done, just have to remember to have my second tomorrow. Friday might just be a breakout day, have to be careful.

LJ Just reread your post about country shows, of course you won a prize for your scones. I bet you beat all the CWA ladies too.

Turnabout – The musk sticks sound like the pink smoker lollies youā€™ve probably had. The guy at the farmerā€™s market is great. My boys always go for the chocolate, banana and whipped cream when we go there.

Klondike – Iā€™m not sure youā€™d want me to list Kiwi cuisine because you ockers have claimed most of them all as your own. My favourite is pavalova, but the kiwi roast lamb is always a favourite

LJ, our county fairs are the same with farm animal judging and lots of good food competitions for pies, cakes and all sorts of recipes. There are also competitions for things like flower arrangements, quilts and other crafts at some fairs. A good amount of the food isnā€™t outrageous. Fairy floss or candy floss is called cotton candy here. I used to love it as a child but usually got sick of it before finishing. Itā€™s something I wouldnā€™t buy now but I do love the smell of it. Pure sugar.

Cinque, food has changed in much the same way over the years here. Growing up in Wisconsin the foods we ate as a child seemed more basic but Italian, German and Polish foods were common just because there were a lot of people from those countries living there. I think there was only one Chinese restaurant in town and I was in my late teens when I first had a taco or burrito. California was much more diverse when I came here in my early 20ā€™s. Now it sounds like we all have a similar variety of ethnic foods, like you do, as more people travel and move from place to place.

Neil, youā€™re doing amazingly well with this way of eating. The nice part is that itā€™s sustainable and not just a diet for a limited amount of time. Having your son pay for your work in cleaning up the mess he caused is a good punishment. Itā€™ll make him think before trying something like that again.

Quacka, Iā€™m glad to hear the oven replacement is finally going to happen. Itā€™s too bad you had to go through so much trouble getting them to move on it.

I have a lot of favorite soups. Chinese hot & sour soup is a favorite although Iā€™ve never been able to make it as good as many restaurants do. Hunters stew with tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, celery and sausage chunks is a favorite hearty winter soup, especially with a dollop of sour cream on top. Chicken or turkey soup with veggies and noodles or a good minestrone are also favorites. Gazpacho and chili, especially my eggplant chili are ones that I enjoy. Lentil or pea soup are also favorites. When I worked in San Francisco there was a restaurant called Stone Soup that served a couple different soups every day. I usually ate there a couple times a week. They had the most wonderful soups, sold by weight I think. The Hunters Stew was one I copied from there.

Anzac, since it sounds like your boss is dumping a lot of extra work on you for your last days there, I like Cinqueā€™s suggestion on negotiating extra hours, especially if youā€™re having to work some extra days to finish it all.

Hello all

Yes drowning…and I am not able to negotiate extra money due to the way my contract is set up. That’s why I was supposed to have today off in lieu but there’s just too much to do. Boss is in major panic mode and therefore so am I! Two more days….

I’ve been keeping up with your posts but no time to reply except to say musk sticks were a staple in my youth. We used to get a big white paper bag full for 20c. 40c would buy musk sticks (or other lollies), a bag of chips and an ice block!

One good thing about being busy is there is no time to eat. Had a tiny brekky, a small lunch and having a curry out of the freezer for dinner with some of my naan bread as I also had some dough in the freezer. I’m going to try Neil’s method of cooking it in the oven rather than in the frypan. Wish me luck!

Morning everyone, thanks for all the soup suggestions. Iā€™m going to google cabbage soup because I have never had it and it should be low carb.

When I was a student at uni, I worked at a French restaurant and the Parisian chef used to make the most ambrosial French onion soup (tasty and almost syrupy) with a slice of cheese covered, French baguette floating in it.

For those interested in an incredibly aromatic soup, google carrot, cumin and coriander soup. The cumin and coriander seeds are dry fried/toasted then crushed which really adds to the flavour. Carrots are so cheap. I recommend adding some light , sour cream at the end to take the edge off the intense pungency. Hub and I first had it in a French/American cafe in Chamonix in the French Alps and it was served with a popover. Only Cali and Thin will recognise what a popover is. Here is my translation, it is like a large, individual Yorkshire Pudding and gets its name from the way it pops over the edge of the tin when baking.

Loved the chat about local fairs.

LJ, we still have the ‘Royal Show’ in Perth. I’ve never been as I don’t do large crowds but DD was taken by friends as a child and, in her second year of uni, she presented one of the uni cows. It began as a place where growers and farmers would proudly offer free samples of their produce. Now they have ‘show bags’ costing the earth.

Turn, I remember the thrill of watching candy floss evolving on the stick and the bigger thrill of parents allowing us to have one (yuk). Another staple from our seaside resort was ‘Brighton Rock’. Coming from the Fens, you may not have been exposed to such crass offerings?

Cinque, I really laughed about your summary of Australian food fare. Italian this and Greek that …. I love soups of all kinds, I won OH’s heart on a camping trip with my leek and potato soup – now a thing of the past for me but I still make it for the OFMs.

Rosy, another early rise? Your soup sounds divine. Are you fasting 5 days this week? I’m feeling proud of myself for completing just one yesterday!

Klond, if there was a transcriber in WA, it’s gone from my memory but I have full faith in your incredible recall. Well done for building up the jogging to 25 minutes. I started running in California because of a runner boyfriend. I could go one minute when we met. He said if you can run for a minute, you can run for two. He took my hand and ran with me. If you can run for two, you can run for four…. And so it developed, doubling every day until I began running obsessively for 5 miles every single day.

Klond, never tried broccoli rice. I think it’s the wrong colour to pass but also it seems it might go too mushy. I’ll leave it to you foodies to experiment.

Anzac, don’t accept the pressure. Two days to get through, just do what you can. It’s not your problem if the contract expires before the work is finished – it probably never would be. I know you’re conscientious and want to do your best. Well, you have been doing your best. So relax.

It was a hot 29C yesterday. Rain is finally forecast today! I say rain but it’s 1-2mm, not enough to get the sidewalk wet really. But the temperatures are coming down dramatically now. Off to walk now.

Good morning everyone,
    I am having a Thursday fast day this week. Ooh, it’s today!

Neil, I think musk sticks might be very different from your fascinating pink smoker lollies. Musk sticks are basically musk-rose flavoured icing sugar in a soft, slightly chewy stick form.
    Very much like that musk rose scent/cologne that was so popular decades ago, Cali, (I still love it). Klondi, you are so right, musk life savers have the same scent. I’d forgotten about them. They look very like the NZ pink smokers.

Oh I had SUCH a sweet tooth as a kid. I adored fairy floss! That hot, nearly burnt sugar smell as it was made, and the glorious airiness of it.

I watched a bit of the first episode of that show I mentioned about a cook in Australia. It was nice to see Rapid Creek market in Darwin that I knew (decades ago) but the show was too much travelogue to hold my attention.

Oh dear everyone WOULD remember your sister’s birthday, Klondi. (One of my nephews was born just an hour or so into April 2nd, and that is also quite memorable). Hooray for a lovely day in Ballarat.
    I’m glad you found some good op shop purchases, and food purchases, and something for little Mr 4 too!

Re broccoli rice, did you try it? I worry that broccoli is easier to overcook than cauliflower, but I know people do substitute broccoli successfully. I hope you do!

How did your naan work out Anzac? I have had much more success since I started using using the grill with the door shut to make it really hot.

Rosy Posy, you will have such fun researching cabbage soups. So many, from so many different cuisines. I think I will do a google when I need a break from ‘trying to get things done’ today.
    But then I will need to choose between trying that or your carrot soup.
    First world problems!

Talking of ‘trying to get things done’, I’d better make a start.

PS I do have a recipe for popovers, that has been waiting patiently for me to try it for several years. But need to try them when I have lots of visitors as I can’t just make one or two, or can I?

Cheers fellow Thursday fasters, enjoy breaking your fast Wednesday fasters, best wishes for a good day everyone.

Crossed posts. Thin I love your advice to Anzac.
    I’ve been seeing bushfire warnings for WA, I’m glad today is gentle.

A quick post before I head out.

I overindulged on yesterday’s NFD, but not too badly and I did make some compromises that I was happy with. For example I decided against the noodles because as we passed through the central market on the walk to the cafe, we noticed that the bakery had fresh cinnamon buns. So I ordered the beef curry and ate it with as little rice as possible and then bought a bun on my way home (as did nearly everyone else I was with). The bun was slowly savoured with a pot of tea that afternoon and was well worth giving up the noodles for. (Someone else in our group did have the stir fried noodles for lunch and said they were really oily.)

The lunch I was meant to go to today has been postponed as my friend now has to work. So I am doing a normal FD today.

Anzac, keep swimming. You only have to keep your head above water for 2 days.

Must go, take care everyone.

Gday everyone

It has been a wet morning here on the South Coast of NSW and the forecast is for more rain this afternoon but then it is going to warm up for the weekend. The last hurrahs of warm weather so I am going to make the most of it. I think OH will be surfing Saturday morning so I am planning on a long walk and then a picnic lunch. Argh, plans. If they work out, all good.

Klondi I have made broccoli rice but I just use a box grater to ‘rice’ it instead of a food processor. Actually I use a box grater for cauliflower too. The stems are a little bit hard to get riced so I usually just eat them as I go. If I am using the stems I make a cross cut in it and then grate it. It’s nice to have the chunkier ‘rice’ of the stems in it for different texture. I use the broccoli rice to make salads and not so much for eating with other foods (like normal rice). The broccoli has to be really fresh so that the flavour is not overpowering and also so the heads are firm enough to grate.

Anzac, I hope you are not overdoing it too much. You can only do what you can do! Look after yourself.

LJ, it sounds like you had a nice lunch out and glad it was worth it to not have the noodles and then enjoy the cinnamon bun. I love noodles too but it really needs a good cook so that the flavour is there without all that oiliness and also so the noodles are not overcooked.

Hope everyone is having great day and that the FDs go easy for those of you fasting.
    I am in maintenance mode at the moment, not gaining but not losing either. That’s fine by me but I am not giving up my FDs.

Ok I best go and do some more work. Take care all x

Hi everyone, another stressful day but just one more to go.

Quacka – so glad the weekend is looking lovely because OH, Maxx and I are coming down to your neck of the woods on Saturday for 4-5 days at my sister’s beach house. It is supposed to be 28,29 and 30 Sat, Sun Mon so YAY!!! I want to have a final swim in the ocean and Maxx will have a ball at the dog-friendly beach at Culburra

Cinque, I got caught up in a never-ended conference call with Luxembourg, India and Malaysia last night so hubby cooked the naan the usual way so I didn’t get to try it in the oven. By the way, clever of you to pick up that I’m doing a handover document when my role is supposedly no longer there. The reality is that we (the project) handover to the ‘business’ once the project has finished. So we get it all set up and then the day to day folk have to carry on with it. So there will be training and other business readiness activities once I have gone

Rosy, I’m not a soup person sadly, but I do love a nice pumpkin soup. When I’m sick hubby makes me a chicken broth soup that is totally delicious but I only like it when I’m sick. Weird huh?

Thin, we are having weird weather here too. It was really hot on Wednesday when I worked from home but right now it is very dark clouds and we just had a big rain storm. Then on the weekend back to summer!

Anyway it is 6.50pm and I still have a few hours of work left. Sigh. One more day….it sounds bad but at the end of the day they remember and in 12 months time when I’m looking for my next contract my current employer will be happy to employ me if they have work. This is the second time I’ve worked here and the 4th time at my new job at CBA so it pays to go the extra miles. People definitely remember

Oooh! I just realised I used my work email to set up my account here so I will have to re-register with another name. I will make is as close as possible to Anzac65

@anzac65: I believe you might be able to just change your email under your profile. Cheers!

Oh Thanks Rabbette, I will give it a go

Hi Aussies! (especially in SE Qld) I’ve been on 5:2 old version(500cals- female) since January 2019. My goal is to lose 10kg by Easter, 19 Apr 2019. I’ve achieved 8.3kg up to this week with a steady 1kg per week until the last couple of weeks when seem to have met the mysterious plateau! Now it’s kind of 300-500gm per week although I am obsessive about the 5:2! What is that plateau about anyway???? I feel my body has sabotaged my good work on this! Anyway nice to be in touch with Aussie others following the same – as my partner essentially gave up after 3 weeks – we were doing this together! ha! In fact he has lost 10kg overall but it is made of the same 2kg x six times!!!! ie Take off 2 kg, put on, take off 2 kg, put on! He can see my achievements and follow FD day until the evening when he breaks out with a couple of drinks and big meal! He just DOESN’T get it! after all it is only a commitment for 2 days a week (Mon & Thur) and he gets 600 cals which is more than me! Wish me luck as I’m on a countdown now to the 19 April! Only 1.7 to go!

Just want to share a tip. PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS! A friend gave me this tip. In fact Portobello Mushrooms are ONLY 100gm = 22 calories and average Portobello Mushroom is ONLY 150gm. So not much calories for FD. I tried cooking them under the grill (Yumm!) but too busy with work so now put in lidded microwave container topped with ample shredded kale (thank you Coles!) and a tomato and carrot for 2 minutes. Wallaa! a lovely meal ! and very calorie efficient!. Throw in a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar for added taste. Great to go. The Portobello Mushroom tastes like eating steak Yeah! I eat them for FD (twice) and love them so much eat them for NFD too!

Hi fellow Southern Hemisperites!

Hi linda b. and welcome! I’ve been in maintenance for nearly 3 years now and like you, continue to follow 5:2 or 6:1 using the original format of 500 calories. It works for me, so I stick with it. I personally plateau when either the type of food or quantity I eat on non-fast days changes in ways that over-ride the good my fast days do me. I have to chuckle because when I reached goal weight, it was almost an automatic response in my body to slightly increase the amount of food and treats I ate so that I moved from shedding weight by fasting two days a week to maintaining while I fasted two days a week. This all kind of took place unconsciously In other words, I was no longer eating ‘normally’ on my non-fast days as Dr Mosley recommends we do on our non-fasting days, but rather eating just enough extra calories. I only learned this by accessing Myfitnesspal app and tracking calories for awhile to see that I had been doing this. I’m not sure if this relates at all to your plateau, though am just throwing this out as a possibility.

The other thing that affects whether I gain, lose or plateau is the types of foods I eat. I’ve come to observe that my body tends to react to blood sugar spikes. If I pressure my body with blood sugar spikes, I tend to pack on the weight quickly. I have a blood glucose monitor and have seen that if I consume more than around 5 grams of sugar in any one meal or snack, my blood sugar certainly spikes. Insulin is then secreted to pull the sugar out of the blood and that is turned into fat pretty quickly.

I also really like certain foods that spike my blood sugar, so I’m not perfect by any means! If I bake my own cookies, even grain free cookies made only from coconut flour, nut butters and stevia as sweetener, it is difficult for me not to eat the whole batch the day I bake them, constantly munching on them as I go along on doing errands and such. Even though the cookies are made without sugar and are low carb, I overload my digestive system which shows up on the bg monitor as spiking my blood sugar! So, without realizing, I discovered that I’m contributing to increased fat without realizing. So, as much as I like to make my own healthy option cookies, I’m just not very good at eating them ‘normally’ which to me would mean making the cookie batch last at least a week or even two by only eating a couple a day with a cup of tea!

By the way, even though I’m a cookie monster and am at times very challenged by cravings especially when my batches of cookies are beckoning, 5:2 worked for me to reach goal weight and has continued to work ever since. Currently, I’m working on what is best for me on non-fast days to help me free me from cravings and stress eating on those non-fast days. This is a bit of a long term project that I’ve been working on for some time and I don’t expect to solve this overnight, though who knows!? In any case it is a worthy journey!

I’m fasting tomorrow. Not sure if there are any other Friday Fasters out there?!

Hi everyone, back after a busy few days (with some eating challenges which could have been worse, so I’m not too stressed about it!.

Minka, also fasting tomorrow, and I think a few days of FFDs are needed to get me back on track properly. Maybe back to normal FD800 by Monday.

Quacka, yay about the oven – now let’s hope the electrician receives it and it’s installed as wished before Easter.

Anzac65, hang in there, not much longer and you’ll be done. Savoury instead of sweet? Not me, though I in more recent times (2-3 years) have enjoyed far too many potato crisps. Working that out of my system! By the way, as Rosy Posy mentioned, lamingtons are very “Australian”, and what about Violet Crumbles? I know they’re very like Crunchie bars, but my brother always buys some when he visits from Arizona as he much prefers the crisper honeycomb.

CalifDreamer – do “lamingtons” ring any bells for you? Start with square pieces of plain cake, dip into runny chocolate icing, then roll in coconut. Very popular when I was a kid.

LJoyce and Cinque, yes, my friend is enjoying the chocolates – she has been mete-ing out one each to her and her husband after dinner each night.

Klondikequeen, The chocolates I bought are a VERY expensive and specialist brand of truffles, quite exclusive and very pricey. The box I passed on cost around $35 for 24 chocolates. Won’t make that mistake again. Oh, by the way, also having the same problem with rings getting looser – moving to my middle finger with some of them. And neilithicman, same with the wrist – watchband is now on its 5th notch instead of the 4th.

Klondikequeen, I went on a central Australian holiday when at school and did try a fried witchetty grub – tasted rather like fried bacon.

thinatlast, the Royal Melbourne (Agricultural) Show sounds very like the Perth one. Still agricultural, but the show bags are ultra-pricey. Kids are given a day’s holiday on a Thursday while the show is on. It goes for about 10 days. Also, there are still some local agricultural shows in various areas – one north of Melbourne, the Whittlesea Show, is usually held over a Saturday/ Sunday. Speaking of Easter chocolate, have you tried the Red Tulip rabbits? The chocolate for those is quite thick. In recent years, I’ve just been avoiding the supermarket aisle where they’re being sold, to avoid buying any. One less thing to add to the temptation list! šŸ™‚

Keep on the downward trail everyone!

Morning everyone !

Thin, good luck with your 6;1. Why didnā€™t you want to see what weight your body wanted to settle at with 5/2? I think if your weight was still heading down without you really doing anything different, maybe it wants a new set point. Iā€™ve noticed this with a lot of long term dieters. I would think that your nfd would have to be less fun also. Have you had your height measured accurately. I shrunk 2 cm , so there is a good chance you have too. Yes still doing 5 btb fast days till I have got rid of my chubby bum. Iā€™d like another 2 kg to go but it is very slow progress, now that the end is in sight.

I went jeans shopping last night as there was a 2 for $99 special on. Hardly anything fits me at home. I tried on the size ten and they were too big around the waist (snug around the bum). I nearly screamed when the assistant said ā€œYou are definitely a size 9! What ????

Good morning everyone,

Welcome Linda B! Lovely to have you here!
    Congratulations on that 8+ kg gone!
    It must be annoying to lose more slowly, but who cares about deadlines? šŸ˜‰
    Onward and downward.

Such a great tip about those portobellos (or any mushroom come to think of it).

LJoyce, it sounds like you are having lovely days, I hope you had a good fast day. (I did!)

Quacka, happy maintenance. So glad you are getting a wonderful weekend away in the gorgeous weather.

Such sensible advice re the broccoli rice. I was thinking it might work to cut off the buds, grate the stems, then sprinkle over the buds at the end that would steam in the residual heat.
    Did you try it Klondi?

Anzac, best wishes for a great last day, and leaving on a high note.
    Then three days in bed! or doing whatever you like!

So good of Rabbette to pop in with a solution. I hope it works!

Hi Minka, lovely to see your post. I almost decided to do back to back fast days, but no, so I will just pass the fast baton to you and hope you have an excellent fast day.

Betsy, hold on to those rings! What an exciting problem to be having. You can give a little squee! every time you have to tighten your watch strap.
    I think that your taste for extremely expensive chocolates is a good one. It means you gave your friend a very special gift, and that when you next buy some you will appreciate them so much more. And it helps you turn your nose at the cheap cr*p in the supermarket aisles. As you walk down the next aisle along šŸ˜‰ .

Hello Size 9! What a lovely milestone Rosy! Another squee!

Well I am feeling like I am beginning to recover from my busy time (touch wood and whistle) and hoping I can get a lot of things done today. It is lovely day after fast day and I am going vegetable shopping soon and planning to have an all veggie meal this evening.

I do love my day after fast day!

Cheers all!

Another little tip for any day. Try the new Coles fresh veg noodles (next to the bagged lettuces). I’m coeliac so have used my spiralizer to make faux spaghetti for years, usually zucchini but now Coles have introduced this new prepared veg noodles in zucchini, sweet potato, carrot etc. Comes in a microwave bag but, as you don’t want to use it all in one meal, just take out enough to incorporate in your single meal and refrig the rest for later meals. For quick meal, use a microwave container with good lid, pop in the PORTABELLO MUSHROOM, whole chopped tomato, some kale or spinach, heap of veg noodles and a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. Microwave for 2-3 minutes with lid on for steam effect (I like mine @ 2 minutes for al dente). Yumm quick meal. Thank you Coles for taking the work out of spiralizing! Calories? – not many! Filling and good for you too.
    Does anyone have any other meal ideas?

The weekend approaches, Hopefully I can restrain myself from getting too carried away, especially since I was feeling so awful after the junk food last weekend, and my parents are having a big shin-dig this weekend to celebrate their 70th birthdays. I’m definitely going to have a low-cal beer or 2 tonight though, it’s been a long week.

Brrr. What a cold morning in Perth! A noticeable change. We didn’t get the rain yesterday.

Anzac, hang in there. It’s great that you have earned such a good reputation around the banks that they want you back time and time again. Have a good weekend!

Betsy, no, I admit I’ve not tried the Red Tulip rabbits and stand corrected but I’m still not tempted. Ours is a mini Coles but they manage to have huge displays of seasonal rubbish at the expense of variety of actual food. Shows where people prefer to spend their money.

Linda, I empathise about not having a like-minded partner. My OH was a fabulous support for me by doing 5:2 and 6:1 with me for the first 11 months when I embarked on 5:2. He’s never gained an ounce since high school so he didn’t need to lose weight but I hoped he’d embrace the healthy feast and famine lifestyle long-term. He didn’t. He eats by the clock and is very food focussed. The morning after my FD, he heads straight for the kitchen for a big fry up! I now just think to myself, “that’s your insulin”. As for the speed of weight loss, I agree with Cinque, it doesn’t matter how long it takes, does it? A downward trend is all you need. Portobello mushrooms are fabulous.

Minka, great explanation!

Lindsay, Neil, Quacka, hello to you. Enjoy that long walk, Quacka.

LJ, sounds like the week’s food dilemmas sorted themselves out with others cancelling.

Cinque, I hope you have a nice, quiet period ahead. Enjoy that day after fast day.

Rosy, I’m not doing 6:1. I was just considering it when I kept losing weight. I’m back to the mid-58s now having gained 200g after my Weds FD. Not worried about it, will just keep calm and carry on with 5:2.

Good morning all.

I’m taking a break from house cleaning. The thing about having all the family over for dinner once a month is it encourages me to give the house a really thorough cleaning, rather than the more basic effort that happens when it’s just me here.

Linda.b welcome to the southern hemisphere forum. It sounds like you are well into the swing of a 5:2 regime. A kilo a week on just 2 FDs per week is exceptional, the average rate of weight loss is usually less than than when you only reduce calories twice a week. It is quite normal to plateau, it happens to most of us and the solution can vary from person to person. Some people find there are certain foods than make it hard to lose weight and need to exclude them, others find they need to be a bit more careful on their NFDs without actually restricting certain foods. Others add extra FDs, although I personally find this just drives me to eat more on the NFDs, so it’s pointless for spurring weight loss.
    The other thing I’d say, is that as you lose weight your TDEE goes down, so you need to be eating a bit less on the non-fast days to keep the weight loss going. A really helpful bit of advice I was given here was to look at my TDEE for my goal weight rather than my current weight, and to try to stay around that level on my NFDs. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ Not only does this help your weight loss it also lets you practice the amount of food you will need to eat to maintain your weight loss once you get to your goal.
    Quite a few of us use the spiralised veg. I make my own, but I have noticed that all of my local supermarkets offer pre-packaged option – I prefer the fresher and cheaper option of doing it myself.
    Most of our FD recipes are posted here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/

Neil, when using a low carb regime to lose weight most of the consequences of an indulgent “off script” meal is that it takes you out of ketosis. If you can indulge but still avoid the foods that will do this (ie the refined carbs) then you are much less likely to have those unwell days afterward. (I did a VLCD for many months that relied on ketosis and I learned that one the hard way.) Doesn’t mean you can’t have that beer, just be aware of your food and drink choices.

Another option for an alternative to the cauli or broccoli rice might be to use kohlrabi – although that’s probably not going to be cheaper even with cauli’s at their current prices. I’ve never tried making this with a grater I always used the food processor.

Yes we have a Royal show in Adelaide too – I suspect all the capitals still do. I haven’t been to the one in Adelaide for years. It used to be a big treat to come to Adelaide to go to the show when I was a kid – which happened about once every three years.

Good morning Cinque, Rosy, Minka, Betsy, Cali, Anzac, Quacka, Thin, Klondi, Turn, and anyone else I’ve forgotten.

Test
    (testing I still exist after changing my email)

Hooray! Thanks Rabbette

Have read everyone’s post quickly but will reply later. Worked from 7.00am until 9.45pm yesterday so the boss said she hopes I can get away by 3.00pm. A whole hour off [rolls eyes]

Then a whole week off! To finally get back into some exercise and healthy eating. I don’t dare weigh myself at the moment but that will all change now

Hi everyone

Iā€™ve finally decided to get back on track. Itā€™s now been 9 months since actively following 5:2, my younger brotherā€™s passing has had a big impact! Thankfully, Iā€™ve only put on 4 kg ā€“ could have been a lot worse. Iā€™ve been lurking in the background all this time šŸ˜‰

Please allow me to reintroduce myself:
    Iā€™m a young 66, married to a wonderful man, still working one day per week, involved in a couple of community groups ie Probus and Garden Club, a Carer to my lovely 86 yr old Father ā€“ he lives with us, and intend to rebegin my healthier lifestyle! I started this WOL in October 2017, and itā€™s life changing!

I may not post each day ā€“ will do when time permits. I enjoy reading, and get lots of motivation and tips, from all your posts.

I wish for you all an enjoyable life, as is possible. Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now xx

Welcome back Arel!

Welcome back, Ariel! Itā€™s good to see you here. 4kg wonā€™t be too hard to lose and 5:2 is a pretty painless way to lose it.

Welcome linda.b. Youā€™ve made great progress since January. Plateaus now and then are common to almost all of us on 5:2. Iā€™m in maintenance now, but when I was losing and hit one that didnā€™t want to budge, Iā€™d add an extra FD to the week and that usually got things moving again. I lost about 1/2 kg per week on average. Iā€™ve been maintaining since the beginning of 2018. I love portobellos and havenā€™t thought about making them for a while. Maybe Iā€™ll get some tomorrow.

LJ, having people over is a great incentive to do some thorough cleaning. There are always those little details that get taken care of when someone is coming over.

Thin, I watched the first episode of ā€˜Tratorsā€™. Some of it was a little hard to follow. You mentioned their unique was of doing flashbacks. I hope there werenā€™t any in that first episode because if there were, I missed them. It seems like a good story so far.

Cinque, are the little Misses getting settled into their new place now? You mentioned that you were going to babysit. Hopefully that went well after all the excitement of moving house.

Anzac, by the time you read this, you should be finished with your job. You deserve a week off now. I hope the weather cooperates for some nice outdoor time. Our weather continues to be partly overcast with light rain now and then. Temps are still around 10 – 15C.

Betsy, I only know Lamingtons from reading about them here and from a T2 tea called Lamington that I enjoy.

Today was a FD. I wasnā€™t very hungry until later tonight. For some reason I canā€™t get my mind off of food. Good thing Iā€™ll be going to sleep soon! Onward and downward everyone!

CalifD, my American OH has trouble following British drama. He is used to having the plot spelled out for him rather than working out the details as things unfold. But if it makes you feel any better, DD and I were also pausing it frequently to exchange questions about what was going on and who is on which side of the spy game. Stick with it! I think the flashbacks occurred in episode 2 or 3 so, don’t worry, you’re not going crazy! Final episode for us tonight!

Off to an Italian restaurant. Oh dear. There goes my experience with the 58s.

Anzac, are you having a few drinks tonight?

Hi all

LindaB. You are doing well, 300g -500g is still a loss, If you graph your progress, you will see that downward trend. Many advise checking measurements when weight loss slows and your clothes will also tell the story. Whatever goal you achieve by Easter will be worth celebrating. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you. Good tips re mushrooms

Rosy. Congrats on the size 9. Doesn’t sound like a chubby bum to me.

Cinque. I haven’t tried the broccoli rice but I do like the idea of putting it in salad. Your chicken soup as all done and I look forward to sharing it with OFM. I hope your busy and I’m sure enjoyable life has eased a little and you are managing your energy ok.

LJ. I would give up noodles for a fresh cinnamon bun every day. Nothing like visitors to get things done but I bet they don’t even notice.

Anzac. You will be home with your feet up now probably with Maxx at your knee. Thank goodness you do have a break before diving in again. Leaving a position on the best possible terms is obviously the way to go especially as you either want a good reference or another contract but it seems bad management to give you so much to do at the end. Enjoy your holiday.

Arel. Welcome back. You have done well to have only added 4kg in 9 months especially when you were under stress. Sounds like you are enjoying an active semi-retirement and how nice you have your dad with you. Hope you can pick up where you left off and achieve your goals.

Neil. They say that if you live your life by the 80/20 principle you are doing ok. Make the right decision 80% of the time then the other 20% won’t matter too much. Sounds like that applies to you and your eating. Enjoy those birthdays, conversation and laughter are also nourishing and it’s hard to eat and drink when you are talking.

Calif. you certainly started something with your innocent little enquiry about musk sticks. What a flurry of information and memories you unleashed and thanks for all the replies from my query about broccoli rice. I particularly liked the suggestion about using it in a salad. I would like to start another chain of thought. We have all come from the same place of eating more food than our bodies required, many doing this for years. What do you think was the reason that you lost the connection between eating for nutrition and eating for eating sake. I know that my mother always served up very large meals and woe betide you if you left any but I also think that ‘food as a cure for all ills’ also played a part. No dessert unless all your main meal is eaten made sweets a reward and the healthy food something to put up with. The other classic is the lolly or biscuit you were given if you were upset or had hurt yourself. I’m also guilty of TV eating and always looking for that sweet thing to finish off the meal, despite not being hungry at all. I am interested in hearing what you feel was the trigger in your case. i believe that understanding the background to our behaviour goes a long way to helping us to never repeat it. I hope you don’t mind me asking.

@anzac65: This made me giggle
    “Test
    (testing I still exist after changing my email)”

I had an image of suddenly disappearing! Like physically disappearing.

@cinque: yes I like popping over to help if I think I got something that might work. I suppose on forums I’m a bit of a social butterfly. In person I’m quite shy. Although I heard from a friends parent that all the kids on the bus said ….”look a unicorn” pointing at me, due to apparently my abundant amount of color from head to toe šŸ˜‰ so now her family call me unicorn girl. Ha that would be a good name on here. (now pondering if i can change my handle…)

Hi Rabette and welcome.
    Cinque thanks so much for your Moroccan soup recipe.
    Thin how was your Italian restaurant. Can you recommend it ? Have you been to your local boat shed restaurant?
    Iā€™ve done my usual 5 days of btb liquids only fastdays again for some reason fasting makes me wake up bright and alert ar 3 or 4 inthe morning. Itā€™s too early to get up so Iā€™m posting in bed and will get up and weigh myself later.

Saturday 7am. Have been reading posts but too busy to post mysekf so try to remember the conversations to comment.

When I make cauliflower rice I usually add broccoli as well. Probably 3/4 cauli and 1/4 broccoli. Plus I add lots of other goodies such as onion, celery, chilli, capsicum, carrot and whatever else I have to hand.

Was it Cali who posted the menu from the so called Aussie American restaurant? The only Aussie part of the menu was the names – absolutely nothing (in my mind) about the food that is Aussie food. My favourite Aussie food and the one thing I feel is so occa is the good ol Aussie rissole. Anyone remember the movie The Castle? “What’s for tea darl?”…..Rissoles !! I so love that movie. Rissoles were a staple in our house growing up as we lived on a tight budget and mince meat was cheap. I have to say I can’t remember ever eating steak. Mostly braises and stews made with the cheaper cuts of meat.

Musk sticks – yummo I loved these as a child. I probably still would love them but since I don’t consume any sugar these days I’m sure the sugar hit would make me feel unwell.

OH had to buy new clothes this week….again. He has gone from XL to Medium in shirts/t shirts. 38 to 32 in pants/shorts and has bought a Jacks belt (one that can be cut down to a length that suits the wearers size) as we could not find an ‘off the shelf’ belt small enough for him. I must say he is looking super trim and looking at photo’s of him from several years ago the transformation is amazing.

Reno update. New kitchen and pantry is ready to be fitted 2 weeks earlier than expected….Yay yay yay. So yesterday the kitchen plumbing was disconnected and last night we dismantled and removed the kitchen bench. We will re use this under our back verandah next to the bbq – will be great to have a bench with sink, hot and cold water for when we cook outside. Today we will remove the rest of the wall tiles and fix up all the holes in the gyprock. Unfortunately the tiles must have been stuck on with super glue and we were unable to get then off without destroying the gyprock. So we are living in total disarray until Tuesday when the new kitchen is fitted. I’m so excited it’s happening sooner than expected as I am totally, absolutely, completely over this renovation stuff.

Must go make another cuppa and then start on removing the rest of the tiles. Happy Saturday everyone

GdayfromSA – I love the cheaper cuts of meat, they have so much more flavour than the more expensive cuts. I have built up a pretty good relationship with a local butcher and I go in to see him pretty often to get brisket, oxtail, lamb shanks, pork hocks, beef cheeks, pork cheeks, chicken livers, etc. All the tasty cheap cuts that they donā€™t even sell at the supermarket any more. We had slow-cooked beef ribs last night with a home made coffee barbecue sauce that tasted sooooo good.

The birthday shouldnā€™t be too bad because itā€™s a pot luck bbq so there will be plenty of salad and leaner meats to keep me full without piling on too many calories. Iā€™ll just have to steer away from the garlic bread and chips!

Hi Everyone,

A slow Saturday for me, it is almost 9am already, but I am preparing for the end of daylight saving, so that makes it alright.

I need to move tomorrow’s fast day as we are having a BBQ tomorrow, in the evening here at the flats to farewell a tenant, and the summer, and I want to share it. I thought about fasting today but no, I’ll make it Monday.

Arelkade, so glad to see you back. I do hope the universe is gently, for a time at least, and you can get back into your old 5:2 habits.

Linda.B, I’m glad LJoyce gave the link for our recipes thread, I hope you find some inspiration there! I make the same thing every Fast Day (miso soup) so i am not fussed about fast days recipes, but I love hearing about the ones people find to make their fast days special.

Neil, enjoy that shindig! Best wishes to your parents, what wonderful milestones!
    It helps me to remember the focus is really the people, not the food and drink, and that I can actually enjoy the celebration more by concentrating on people and leaving the food mostly alone.

Thin, keep warm. I hope some rain does come. I did enjoy yesterday.
    With happy restraint. šŸ™‚ And got lots done… in the morning anyway.
    Maybe your Italian restaurant was a nice surprise, with lovely 58kg-friendly meals.

LJoyce, how lovely to have the house nice, and family coming.

Anzac, so glad you changed that email address easily. Woot! It is holiday time. Hoping Maxx is letting you have a big lie in.

Rabbette, it sounds like you are a rainbow unicorn. What fun. Rabbette is a lovely name. Pop in as often as you like.

Cali, the girls are settling down and the new place is feeling like home. babysitting was lovely, and I might need to pop over today, just to see them.
    I do hope you are fast asleep now and can wake up to a lovely NFD tomorrow.

Gday, how pleased OH must be with his new shape and health. great work both of you!

Klondi, I do hope the chicken soup is a lovely success.

Such a good question about how we got out of step with our natural body hunger signals.
    In my case, food was a reward and a solace and we didn’t have many feasts when we were kids, so as I got to be a teenager and had more opportunities to eat cakes and sweets, I did. And I was pretty depressed in those years and needed lots of solace and rewards. I also had the idea that it was somehow good not to drink a lot of water, so I think that is when my brain gave up on sending ‘thirsty’ signals and gave ‘hungry’ ones instead.
    Luckily this was balanced out with me being very ‘healthy vegetarian’ and very active, so while I was overweight, and bingeing way too often, my weight didn’t balloon until my health got bad and I was very sedentary.

But I must say, since the 80’s the pressure through advertising and access to high sugar/fat/salt foods means that it is amazing some people are still slim! Our whole social setting, along with our love for a feast, works so strongly against natural regulation!

Well, I’m off to face the day. I’m a bit creaky, but looking forward to a whole, beautiful Saturday. Best wishes all.

Worrying about you, Lindsay. But if you are still busy and looking after your self, then don’t take time to assure us.

And really hoping you might post, Merry. I think of you all the time.

Hi Arel , I joined this forum in December so havenā€™t met you before.

Thanks Linda for the portobello mushroom recommendation.

I have now weighed myself and have lost 400g this week and weigh 62.4 kg . It will sound like nothing to some of you but I am pleased with it because after having lost 21.3 kg and now at a bmi of 21.7, it is very slow going trying to shed the last 1 or 2 kg. As long as I lose a tiny bit, I am happy. The last 1 or 2 kg are all located on my bum. My arms are thin and my waist , hips and thighs are all tiny now( never thought I could say that when I was worrying about fitting into my ABBA costume, ten kg ago. I am 2 kg lighter than when I had coffee with Thin.

I am aiming for 61.7 which is less than a kg away and a bmi of 21.3 which would make my total loss 22 kg. This could take me a couple of months but I want to be finally happy with my weight and if I donā€™t do it now at 61 years of age, when will I? I want to spend the last third of my life as slim as I was in the first 30 years.

Rosy, it’s Brando’s on Albany Hwy in Vic Park. Yes, I recommend it. I’m not really a fan of Italian restaurants but the OFMs love it and it’s our local, very casual, we’ve been many times. They haven’t changed their four salads in the 15 years we’ve been frequenting it and I’m usually stuck with them as I wouldn’t ever order pasta or pizza. Last night I had grilled barramundi which was very good but I forgot to ask for the salad dressing on the side. I also forgot to ask for no salt on the chips so that made them very unappealing to me which was a good thing.

Boatshed: Hmmm, we haven’t been since they first opened which must be about 23 years ago. Vowed never to go back as the owner was rude and condescending to my American guests. Coming from the country where ‘customer is king’, we couldn’t believe how he spoke to them. Friends report that the service is diabolical and the food overpriced. They get by on their views and a lot of weddings. We walk past it every morning and often see a truck delivery bearing the information ‘ready made meals delivered straight to your restaurant’ on the side. That says it all. So, are you going?!

There used to be a converted container located near that site selling coffee. It was a great place to sit casually in the park with the dog and the baby, no pretence. Locals were sorry that the owner lost his concession in favour of the upmarket restaurant being constructed. Council conditions dictated that they also built the Coode St. jetty and public toilets which they were also required to maintain. They don’t.

Cinque, yes there’s such a movement to get us to eat salt and sugar, it is a wonder anyone is slim. And I do notice many more morbidly obese people about in recent months. I see people literally struggling to walk, they are so fat. It’s alarming that so many of them are so young. Parents are now outliving their offspring due to obesity.

Rosy, did you feel the dramatic drop in temperature yesterday morning?

It was freezing yesterday morning but very refreshing. I prefer cool weather where you donā€™t get sweaty and sticky. No havenā€™t ever been to the Boatshed and now I wonā€™t . I have been to Bravos a few times and enjoyed it. It is also in the entertainment book so quite good value once you receive the discount. Have you been to Cocoā€™s ,Rambla , Mr Walkerā€™s or the Globe?

Hi again Rosy (and sorry everyone else, this is mostly irrelevant for you).

Our other posts crossed so I hadn’t read about your most recent loss. Another 2kg since we met? Amazing! I’m afraid I’m at the top end of 58s after last night but tomorrow’s a FD so all will be well.

Bravo’s is at the other end of the Vic Park strip I believe? I think we went there once and, if it’s the one I’m thinking of, it was fairly high priced for Italian but we noticed there were no children running around as seems condoned in ‘family’ style restaurants. We thought it was worth the extra cost to enjoy a meal without having someone’s else’s little darlings playing under our feet! We celebrated our engagement at Rambla but it was called something else back then. Yes, we have been to Globe, Mr Walker and Coco’s. I used to know the guy who owned the latter two from the gym I went to. We’re going back a number of years now. Are you looking for a place to eat in my immediate area?

On the subject of feral children, has anyone paid extra on an airline to sit in the ‘quiet zone’? If so, was it worth it?

Viewing 50 posts - 20,301 through 20,350 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.