Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 20,401 through 20,450 (of 28,011 total)

• Hello everyone. I’ve had a couple of busy days and am woefully behind on posts – I will try to catch up this morning.

Julzau, welcome. Glad to hear the fast days are going well. Enjoy rediscovering those smaller clothes in your wardrobe.

Cinque, that Sicilian pie does sound lovely. Are you able to get the jars of pre-soaked wheat berries here, or do you need to start from scratch? I usually make my own easter buns to take to the family brunch on Easter Sunday, but I think I might do something different this year.

Thin, congratulations on graduating in bridge. Does that mean you are expected to play like a master now? I have signed up for bridge beginners lessons, but they follow the school terms so don’t start until the first Friday in May.

Quacka, trying to figure out what weight you are happy to maintain at can be a difficult process. Sometimes our bodies try to decide for us and they plateau at a weight for quite a while before begrudgingly moving lower. While on 5:2 I had a plateau for several months in the high 70s before finally moving lower. It’s good that you are happy at 65kg while you wait for more movement on the scales.

Neil, I think being aware of the pitfalls that have arisen in the past and having a plan to avoid them is really sensible. I suspect an indoor exercise option in Dunedin’s cold winters is wise.

Klondi, your description of grandkid wrangling had me giggling. I hope you can get that glitter off the deck.

Betsy, that’s a lot of B2B, hope it goes well. Those swimming championships you are watching are taking place at the state swim centre that’s about a block from where I live. I’m thinking of getting a ticket for the final night tomorrow.

Turn, the rate of weight loss does seem to be very individual. It’s affected by starting weight, activity level, age, gender and genetics – most of which we are not in control of. My rate of weight loss always seemed to be slower than many others, but even if you are the tortoise rather than the hare, you do get there in the end.

Cali, the lime pie was such a hit that I’m thinking I’ll make another for our easter brunch. I might hunt harder for pre-squeezed lime juice this time!
    Good to hear you have finally discovered rissoles. Conversely, I seem to to be on an American food theme lately – I had hickory smoked BBQ beef ribs last night.

I’m fasting today – definitely needed, as last night involved chocolate birthday cake. Last night was a family birthday dinner at the Oakbank Hotel (in the Adelaide Hills). As they are known for their steaks and ribs I decided to have the beef ribs. They were huge so I managed to get through one and asked for a doggy bag to take the other one home. It can be dinner tomorrow night, I just need to make a salad.

I need to get moving and I need to do a one hour walk and run some errands before heading off to babysitting duties.

Hello to anyone who’s reading that I haven’t mentioned. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Successful day 3 of B2B2B2B2B, only one left, then back to “normal” 5:2 (or 4:3, which I aim for but don’t reach) next week. But at least I’m back on track, and this morning the weight was actually LOWER than my “best” mid-March, so I’m feeling quite chuffed.

Julzai, good idea re the moratorium on buying clothes. That’s where I’m at, too. Far too many clothes, and the fun of fitting into long-forgotten treasures.

Quacka, great that you’ve reached a weight that you’re happy with. That’s the important thing, isn’t it.

Neilithicman, glad your energy levels are higher – I’ve noticed that, too.

thinatlast, yep, happily back on track – what a relief! Have fun in the novice group. I’ve just been having fun with my Bridge Baron game.

Cinque, thanks for the good wishes. Seem to be back on track, and have avoided Easter chocolate so far.

Klondikequeen, Melbourne has the Chocolateer factory, branded as Chocilo now, I think. And yeah, exclusive AND expensive – and better than Haigh’s chocolates though only just – it’s a close toss-up. I lived in Adelaide once for 5 years, and also loved the Haigh’s chocolate frogs. There are about 3 (could be more) Haigh stores in Melbourne now, fortunately in the city so I mainly avoid them, but they are also VERY tempting to a chocoholic like me.
    Oh, and the hula hoop challenge is on the other forum I write on, the monthly challenges, – I boobed!!!

Second post – LJoyce, your post crossed with mine. Great that you’ve signed up for bridge lessons. It’s an enjoyable game – stretches the brain!!! šŸ™‚ Have fun at the swimming, if you end up going. That’s a sport I enjoy watching, but have never been able to swim well.

Good morning all, thank you Neil and a Thin for your advice, much appreciated. Today is my last day at work , followed by a 2 week much needed holiday. With all these 4.30 am starts and working full time, I am exhausted.
    Still unsure what to do diet wise but I will restart my diet revise programme which was going wonderfully well until January 20 when I broke my wrist in 2 places and had to wear a fibre glass cast for 6 weeks. Havenā€™t done any exercise since as my wrist still felt sore and weak ( greatly improved although I still feel better if I wear tubi grip) and I felt too tired. The dr ordered me to take it easy also but I will start again this weekend and get my fitness and exercise habit back. Weigh in day tomorrow, I will be happy with 200 g.

Well done Neil and Betsy re your weight loss. Welcome Julzau!

Julz, so sorry that I neglected to say welcome to you yesterday.

Betsy, Neil, Quacka, great job on what you’ve achieved and determination not to slip back into old habits or weight gain.

LJ, Betsy, coming from England, I was always a rubbish swimmer (I can burn a lot of calories with my personal style of moving through the water though!) and can’t imagine anything more boring than watching others swim! OK, maybe the football. ha ha! LJ, enjoy the event if you decide to go! I’ll be interested to hear how you enjoy bridge lessons.

Neil, joining a gym for a 3 month period seems very sensible – they make their money from selling long memberships knowing that most people will drop off after a few months.

Anzac must have taken a detour on her way home from the beach house … hope you’re having a relaxing time.

Rosy, enjoy your break. I slept in today. 5.30am! Looks like we might have some rain coming our way this weekend. 58.3kg and happy with it.

Good morning,
    Another lovely morning. Melbourne. Friday. 9am.

Rosy, I would love to do a 60 hour water fast. I am pretty sure they are what Penguin does regularly, and finds them really good. There was an interesting link on another thread today that you might be interested to follow up: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/related-science-articles-people-might-be-interested-to-read/page/18/#post-284050

Cheers for your last day of term. Well deserved holidays ahead! I was just thinking to ask you how your wrist is now. I hope you can get back into some good exercising.

Thin, if you have Mastered your Graduation from Bridge L plates, you should celebrate! I hope you managed to sleep through last night. I had my best sleep for ages. I was awake at 3am, but only for half an hour or so.

Neil, good plan for winter! Hooray for that convenient gym. I hope it is a good one.

Quacka, how nice to be back into the 65’s, and no added weight even though it has been a difficult month. Here’s hoping this month is an easier one.

Julzau, I love that process of working down through the clothes in your wardrobe (or chest, in my case)! On the difficult fast day afternoons or evening I would sort them out and try things on.

LJoyce, I do make that pie from scratch. It is easy stages even though it is over a few days. (And I have the wheatberries already). Ooh it would be great fun if you made it too. I’ll put my recipe as a separate post in case it is useful. I think I will try the pastry recipe from that SBS link though.

Betsy, last B2B day. Congratulations. (The Chocilo outlet in Ivanhoe is only minutes from where I live. Very handy for when I decided I would rather one good chocolate, than a whole block of cheap stuff). (Decades ago, so I got some lovely chocolate in before I gave up on sugar).

Thin, your post arrived while I wrote. Hooray for a (comparative) sleep in.

Cheers to everyone.

Hello friends, a quick check in to apologise for my recent absence but spending lots of quality time with my two boys so I don’t like to spend time on my phone. Having a gorgeous in between jobs week off and we were blessed with perfect weather down the coast.

Diet wise not so good but will be back on the road next week. Hope everyone is well

PASTIERA NAPOLETANA
    Wheat tart from Naples

125g whole wheat:
    Soak in cold water for 24 hours.
    Boil with added salt 1 hour. Drain.
    Use food processor to crack (not to make a paste)

Mix in a saucepan, with the wheat:
    2 cups milk
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 vanilla bean
    2 lemon zest strips
    Cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the milk is almost all absorbed.
    Cool and refrigerate at least 8 hours.

3 egg yolks and 50g (1/4 cup) caster sugar: whisk

300g ricotta: blends well with the egg yolks

Remove the cinnamon, vanilla and zest strips from the milky wheat mixture.
    Stir the wheat mixture into the ricotta mixture.

3 egg whites: whisk to soft peaks
    2 tbsp caster sugar: add and whisk to firm peaks

Fold the egg whites gently through the wheat mixture.
    Pour the mixture into a prepared base. Spread evenly.
    Bake 50 mins – 1 hr at 180C

Keep in the fridge.
    It will be even better the next day.
    Serve at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar.

Good morning all.

It was a funny FD yesterday. I had a busy afternoon and evening and didn’t have time for dinner until after 8pm. I couldn’t be bothered making my planned salmon salad so I had 4 rice thins with a little mashed avocado spread on top, and a cup of tea. Not the ideal FD dinner and I awoke feeling really hungry this morning, which is unusual for me. I tried to placate my appetite with some fresh fruit, but it didn’t work. I still ended up having the toasted sourdough with vegemite for breakfast. It was lovely, but now I’m left trying to figure out what to have for lunch that doesn’t involve bread or cereal!

Cinque, I know I would enjoy that pie but I’m doubtful I know enough people to share it with who it would also appeal to. I will probably make my favourite easter bun recipe as I haven’t eaten any yet this year and I do love them.

Betsy & Thin, I’ve never been to live racing (swimming, running etc) of any kind so I thought why not try a new experience – it will probably be many years before the Australian championships come to Adelaide again.
    I’m not much of a swimmer either – except for backstroke, I can do that reasonably well. I just don’t like trying to get the chlorine out of my skin and hair afterwards – I seem to give off chlorine fumes for days afterward.

Rosy, hopefully you can start getting back into your exercise regime. You might find toning exercises also help you get to the shape you are after.

I’d better go. I need to run an errand up in the hills for my aunt and uncle and I have appointments with the physio and the exercise physiologist this afternoon.

Have a good day everyone.

Posts crossed. Hi Anzac. Thanks for the recipe Cinque, it does sound lovely.

Hi everyone. The end of my Thursday FD which went pretty well. Anzac, good to see you back. You start your new job Monday, right? I hope this week didnā€™t go as fast for you as it did for me. I did manage to get my hair cut and colored yesterday. It was getting too long, way past my shoulders. More Spring trees and flowers are starting to bloom but still only getting to 15 or 16C during the day. Iā€™m ready for some warmer weather.

LJ, so youā€™re eating some American food while weā€™re eating Australian. It seems like most of what we eat is pretty similar. We all seem to eat a lot of different ethnic foods.

Cinque, thanks for posting the link on the water fast. I wish I could get through a several day water fast. I just canā€™t imagine doing it for that long. A single day is difficult for me.

Cali, I think we are still pinching you spring weather. The forecast here is heading up to the 30s again next week. It’s certainly going to confuse the trees and will likely affect the autumn colour display.
    More American food tonight – I had the second BBQ beef rib for dinner tonight with a lentil, brown rice and kale salad. I actually think the flavour and texture were better in the reheated rib than in the freshly cooked one I had Wednesday night. It was very good – still a rather larger hunk of beef than I’m used to eating in one sitting. I’m sure my iron levels will be happy.

Cinque, I’m thinking I might make this over easter: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/rhubarbandappleeaste_82721 I think it will appeal to more family members than the Sicilian wheat berry pie. It also looks like a lot less work!!

Good morning, cold and grey here, if we are lucky we might get a little rain.
    Melbourne. Saturday morning. 8:09am

Anzac, hooray for that quality time, I hope it is continuing over the weekend. Enjoy your non fast days so you can be lovely and fasty on your next fast day!

LJoyce, your rhubarb and apple recipe looks wonderful! (and a lot quicker).
    And you make me think I will cook ribs again. Yum.
    Best wishes to your aunt and uncle, I hope they are going well. And I hope you appointments were good ones.

Cali, I am the same about longer fasting, but I keep hearing that after the difficult first day or so, you feel wonderful. I think if I were to try I would need to book three days for it so I didn’t have anything to do, if I am feeling dreadful.
    I bet you feel good with your hair cut and coloured, and flowers and warmer weather on their way.

Well I am feeling pretty pleased with myself for getting my veggies in and eating well, but sparingly, on my NFDs. Hoping to have another one before my fast day tomorrow.

Sending best wishes to you all: for fast days, non fast days, mindful days, feast days, or whatever you are having.

Saturday morning scream time ! Yay !!!!!! After my 5 btb fast days, I am shocked beyond my wildest dreams to say that I have lost 900 g this week, I weigh 61.5 kg. My bmi is a lovely 21.4 and my total loss since September 9 2018 is 22.2 kg ! Woo hoo!!!
    I am also happy because I am now on holidays for a couple of weeks.
    Hub and I are going out for eggs Benedict this morning and tonight we are going to an international party where you have to take a typical dish and a game from your favourite country. We have chosen Switzerland, a beautiful country that hub and I both loved when we toured it a few years ago. I am taking rosti and Swiss ham and cheese croissants.
    Thanks also to Cibque and LJ for your wise words of wisdom.
    I am still weighing up what to do diet wise (excuse the pun). My chubby bum is not chubby anymore but a little more rounded than I would like. I think I will stop at 60 kg which is a nice,round number and only 1.5 kg away.
    Cinque I used to hate AFL, I am the daughter of a well spoken Englishmanwho only ever watched cricket and I am from a daughters only family. It wasnā€™t until I had 2 Aussie sons and was married to a football mad bloke that I became converted and now I am like a reformed smoker ! LOL! I am assuming that you are from an all girl family ?
    Thin, have you seen Crown on Netflix?

Good morning all, welcome to the weekend.

Rosie, congratulations on such a good loss.

Cali, I can’t imagine doing a water fast for several days either. Although in my 30s I did used to do 3 day juice fasts occasionally – watered down freshly juiced vegetables and fruits.

Cinque, it sounds like you are behaving yourself on your NFDs. I’m still a bit too erratic unfortunately.
    I have a rhubarb plant in a pot and I think there might be just enough stalks to make that baked dessert.

Anzac, enojy your last weekend before starting your new job.

I didn’t get to the swimming last night, I decided 4 hours on an uncomfortable seat wasn’t wise as I’m having lower back issues again and after the physio treatment yesterday afternoon it was inflamed and sore.

Have a lovely Saturday all.

Morning all. Hopelessly behind, with work consuming all my waking hours (well, not literally, but I’m heading out the door at 7 most days, and not getting in until 6.30ish. Usually I have Mondays and Fridays off, but yesterday I worked because I had the 5 year old on Monday and Tuesday (well, OH had her til lunch-time when I came home).
    We collected our native bees on Monday afternoon and installed them in a prime spot in a courtyard garden. To paint the picture, the courtyard is on two levels – the bottom section is paved and walled, and the top (up five steps) is grassed, with a water feature over three levels, and with a garden along the boundary fence. So it’s my little oasis, as I stand at the kitchen window and watch the garden and now the bees. I’ve left a lot of herbs go to flower – the tarragon is so so pretty – I like the flowers better than the taste. Lots of basil plants and rosemary. Usually I clip the flowers off the basil but I’ve let it go for the bees. I have quite a few citrus trees both in pots and in the ground but they’ve never done really well. I’ll be interested to see if the bees get the cross-pollination going. Ditto with the pawpaw trees which fruit, but not brilliantly. My honey bees are a couple of weeks away still, but the courtyard is buzzing this morning because the acacias are out. They’re weeds, really, hanging over the fence in the front, but so beautiful and the yellow flowers are like magnets for the insects.

Now, I’ll just try to remember what I can, without going back. I’ve not got a hope in hell of remembering all I’ve read.

Thin, commiserations about the neighbours. It will get better. Eventually. This might give you a laugh. Our new Chinese neighbours are delightful, but very very noisy. I was getting ready for bed the other night, about 10, when the sensor light in the carport came on (our houses are down long adjacent drives) I heard them farewelling guests, very very loudly. Chatting over the fence a day or two later, she told me she loved my sensor light because when she had guests they could come into my carport to say goodnight, and they’d have light to see them up the drive. Shame my bedroom is just behind the carport wall!

Anzac you sound like you’ve had a lovely break – hope the new job is fabulous for you.

Neil, what a terrific achievement – and good plan about the gym over winter.

LJ sorry you’re having back issues – hope they resolve soon (does a hot water bottle help?)

Cinque how lovely to have the cooler weather – and rain too. It bucketed here yesterday a few times, and today the sun is out and the sky is blue and it’s a real autumn day (finally).

OK better head off. Like you Klondi, I’m grandkid wrangling this morning while SIL finishes installing the back garden lights. Last one, and it will shine up into my huge jacaranda. It all looks very pretty with the lights on.

I’m struggling with managing the program at the moment. The workload is taking its toll (sorry for complaining …on the up side, the pay cheque was very welcome) but it ends next week, so I have put a line in the sand for Wednesday and Thursday for FDs, and then controlled nfds until Beijing. There are a few social activities tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday, so I guess I had better do the best I can with them, and then try to get my mojo back on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

Happy Saturday all.

I’ve just caught up with the posts since my last, was that only yesterday?

Anzac, enjoy the last few precious hours with the boys.

Lindsay, lovely to see your post and read about your bees and gorgeous garden description. And the neighbours, so funny in a weird way (but not so with your bedroom being right there). I suppose at least you have control over the sensor light. I’d be turning it off if I heard they were entertaining. Blockout curtains too. Unfortunately, we had a confrontation with ours last evening. It had to happen after sucking it up for an entire summer. Nothing changed after that exchange, DD was woken at 7am this morning with the trampolining ferals shrieking in the front garden. They are now a week beyond their lease expiration so we can only hope that they’re now renting month to month with a view to purchasing their own home. I’m completely worn down with it all.

Rosy, congratulations. You must be feeling very proud. I hope the breakfast was fun. Sorry that I didn’t answer your question about The Crown the first time you asked me. Yes, we have seen it all and thought it marvellous. My brother has a small part in Series 3 so we are keen to watch that too. It will be interesting with the change of actors for Queen Elizabeth. Do you think the royals sit and watch such programmes and have a laugh? How weird to have a drama series depicting your life yet not be involved in its creation.

Hi Cinque, CalifD and LJ. I’ve read your posts. Hope you’re all enjoying your day.

New personal best for me this morning at 57.9kg. Of course, I took a photo of my feet on the scales. Last night we had salmon steaks for dinner and I often lose weight after eating fish for dinner. But I also had a lot of vegetables and couscous so I wasn’t expecting that on NFD no. 3. One of the Easter holidays falls on my birthday this year as it does occasionally when it’s so late. Not that we celebrate Easter in any way but there is a restaurant dinner planned that happens to coincide. I’ve requested no cake as I see no reason to celebrate birthdays with cake. I had a lovely massage the other day, a Xmas voucher from OH, and I’d be a lot happier with another of those than cake.

A friend just sent me this link. Full of soup ideas for the autumn/winter that’s coming … eventually. https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/collections/gallery/quick-soup-recipes-for-winter/sywz1fqg She said they made the Turkish chickpea soup last night and it was delicious – quite lemony, which does sound appealing to me.

Thin, congrats on the new PB. Sounds like a good reason to eat fish more often.

Lindsay, your garden sounds delightful. If the bees gather up nectar from all of those herb flowers it will result in a rather interestingly flavoured honey.

A second post in one day! You can tell it’s not a work day.
    Thin, how absolutely dreadful for you. I remember how I felt with the foul mouthed boys on the verandah above us, drinking beers and shouting from 4pm every afternoon, so know exactly how you feel. They’ve been replaced by 5 quite quiet girls, who’ve had one party and you won’t believe this … said they be finished by 10…and they were! Yours will go away – although it probably doesn’t feel like it. Here’s another funny little story about my new neighbours. He has gone back to China to wind up his business, and she invited us to dinner …just her and her 11 year old son. She asked us for 5.30. OH and I were trying to decide whether to take a Cab Sav or Shiraz (our favourites) or a lighter Pinot Noir, when my phone pinged. (It was 5.31). ‘Dinner is ready’. I texted back ‘on our way – traffic is terrible’ but I think the joke went through to the keeper. Anyway, when we walked through the door, dinner was there,all laid out on the table, ready to eat. She’d gone to so much trouble. It was fabulous – she’d cooked at least a dozen traditional dishes. Mind you the gloss wore off when we noticed last Sunday that her uncle who’s staying for a while had leaned over our fence and had hacked down a tree, and thrown it back into our yard.
    LJ you are right – it will be interesting honey. The native bees only produce small quantities apparently, and we shouldn’t expect anything for a year we’ve been told. The honey bees will go right down the back, inside the pool fence (so the little children can’t go to investigate without protection, and stir them up). We have lots of flowering trees and shrubs down there, but no herbs. Apparently the honey bees forage for up to 5 kilometres (and we back on to bushland, so they should be spoiled for choice) but the native bees only 500 metres.
    Gosh Thin you are doing so well – under 58. Lucky duck (not really luck though, is it) And Rosy – what an achievement.
    Cali I can’t imagine a water fast or anything over a few days. I tip my hat to those who manage it.
    I am still practising time restricted eating, and I really think it’s the reason I’m not gaining (not losing, but not gaining is okay for a short time).
    We don’t have Netflix, but we do buy DVDs when we are O/S and I loved The Crown. Watched The Split again on free to air recently and really enjoyed it too. I think Nicola Walker is a great actor. Remember her as Ruth, in Spooks? Is Olivia Coleman taking over in the Crown. Another terrific actor. Loved her in Broadchurch.
    Sorry for the very long post – but it is so good to be back chatting. Good night all.

I enjoyed your long post Lindsay! DD is cooking dinner for us so I have a little time to spare at a time not normally available. Thanks for the encouragement re: the situation next door. Funnily enough, after my last post, their ball came from the trampoline exploits over into our garden (where our bobtails are free ranging). Originally, I just threw back anything that arrived over here, airplanes, quoits, balls, etc. Then, (spitefully), I started waiting for them come and ask for the toys just as we had to as children. In fact, this time last year I was putting easter eggs over the fence for them. Regretting that now. It went dead quiet after the ball appeared. So, where’s the incentive to chuck it back? I must sound like a real old bag. Anyone seen Ricky Gervais in After Life? What he said to the ginger bully in the playground made me laugh.

Your neighbour stories are amusing. On the one hand, you seem to have really nice, friendly people living there with good intentions. But then you have these cultural anomalies with the noise levels at unsociable hours. I’m sure with your diplomacy, you’ll be able to express your concerns about running machinery late at night and the loud voices. Yours just don’t realise, mine just don’t care. P.S. I liked the joke about the traffic.

The first time I ever saw Nicola Walker was as Ruth in Spooks. She was fantastic. Then she played a completely different role in Last Tango In Paris, equally excellent acting. Olivia Coleman is another British gem. (Yes, the next Queen).

LJ, thanks for the link to the soup recipes.

Good morning all, 23 degrees today and a cloudy morning but I think it will burn off. Sunday 7.14am

I have managed to catch up on most of the posts and everyone is doing so well!

Thin, why on earth should you feel bad about not throwing the ball back when they are such prats? You said they don’t care about disturbing you so why should you care one jot about them? I hope they really loved that ball. Here’s an idea, cut it in half and throw them both back [insert evil emogi]

Cali, I’m so sorry that your extra workload is causing stress and long hours. How much longer until your colleague returns? I thought that joke was hilarious but I can imagine your neighbour wouldn’t have got it.

Ok, I have to pause and run, Maxx is whining and I want hubby to have a sleep in

Ok a quick game of fetch and Maxx is now happily chewing on a treat on his mat. Fingers crossed he stays quiet but I am not hopeful. He is very attached to hubby an wants to go downstairs to see him.

Cali did I read correctly that the uncle leaned over the fence and cut down YOUR tree? I would be ok if they cut a few branches that hang over their side of the fence but this is outrageous! Our back neighbour, the cow wife, does the same thing and it makes hubby so angry. She claims she only cuts the bits on her side but she doesn’t. The good thing is now Maxx barks as soon as she starts so we all troop outside and she retreats [insert second evil emogi]

Congrats on the new PB thin. Awesome

LJ, thanks for the soup ideas. I don’t eat a lot of soup but hubby loves it so I make it for him sometimes. So sorry to hear your back is hurting and I hope the physio eventually helps.

Cinque, you are an inspiration with your vege intake and controlled NFD’s. Did you get any rain yesterday? Thanks for the tart recipe….sounds delish

Rosy, BetsyLee and Neil, wow wow wow. You are all doing so well and also an inspiration for me. I am going to be in your shoes from tomorrow as I am determined to fast track for a while to get my mojo back.

I went to try on a jacket that was on sale at Kathmandu for our winter trip to Europe at the end of the year. The plan was to get a slightly small size and provide even more inspiration to lose weight. But the largest was an 18 – and I am currently a 16-18 – but it was tiny! I couldn’t even get the edges to meet around my middle so it was too risky to spend $320 (and yes that was half price!) on something that I would need to lose a LOT of weight to make it big enough to get warm clothes underneath. So now I will wait until the end of winter sales and will know exactly how big or small I am.

Quacka – 65’s! Congratulations šŸ™‚

Welcome Julzau, this forum is awesome and encouraging

Klondi, I chuckled at the grandchild wresting šŸ™‚

So despite doing lots of walking I have put on about 1.5 kilos in the last week but that will be gone asap. Gosh it goes on so much easier than coming off doesn’t it? One good thing about the new job is there aren’t any snacks or biscuits in the kitchen, unlike the last job. I’m quite nervous about starting even though I know the people and the work as my new boss and a few ex colleagues who are still there have been very honest about the lack of morale and politics. But I told my new boss that I will shake off any unpleasantness and just concentrate on working hard and trying to make a positive difference. I am also a naturally cheerful person and usually quite good at lightening stressful situations. I also tell terrible jokes, as you all know so well, and even the groans that accompany them tend to diffuse those tense times.

Have a super Sunday all

Morning all. Enjoying my second killer coffee of the day, OH is safely tucked up in bed with tea and toast, and I’ve been catching up on the news (all politics – save us from politicians of all stripes!) and very soon will start trawling my cupboards for something to wear to a joint 70th birthday party of two friends at a restaurant this afternoon. I’m thinking a great black mid-calf dress I bought last year, which is quite fitting but has a great hem detail. I may even post a pic. I have my red boots, and nipped out after the littlies left yesterday and had my nails done to match. whoo hoo.
    Anzac sometimes workplaces need someone with your personality to lift the morale. You get a bunch of people who are down on the work/job/colleagues, then someone new comes in with a cheerful disposition, a willingness to work hard but take time for the odd joke, and before you know it the whole place lifts. I am sure you’ll have that effect.
    BTW it’s me, not Cali, with the new neighbours. My OH is usually quite tolerant (for a Glaswegian), but when he saw the tree he marched next door and firmly explained it just wasn’t on. I heard him say ‘it’s against the law’ twice. It didn’t help that she kept laughing…but again, that is cultural. A sign of embarrassment, I think.
    And to answer your question about the extra workload…..my colleague has taken long service leave because she is caring for a very ill adult son (which is why I agreed in the first place). Another colleague and I are meant to be sharing her work – but then he went on holidays for a month, so I got his share too. It’s okay – he’s back after Easter, and then I go away on 3 May, so the end is in sight.
    Thin of course you shouldn’t throw the ball back – and nor should you feel bad about not doing so. And no, you certainly don’t sound like an old bag. You sound like a wonderful woman who’s just been stretched to the end of her tether. Can you eyeball the kids and tell them you have the ball and ask if they’d like to collect it….and then explain the impact the noise is having? Or are they too young/too like their parents to care?
    I loved Last Tango too – such a different role for our Nicola. Can you give us a clue about your brother’s role?
    good day all

Thoroughly enjoyed yours chatty posts Anzac and Lindsay. They got me through the first A&C coffee. Thank you for supporting me, you’ve both made me feel much better. Anzac, I love your jokes and your evil suggestions. DD will love that, she’s been coming up with all sorts of ideas of her own including checking gumtree for a drum set and injecting the ball with unpleasant smelling substances! Good suggestion about the children Lindsay, it’s not their fault that they have no parental guidance and, yes, they used to respond when OH asked them to ‘hold it down a bit’ but not now.

Anzac, I bet you will lift the morale and the mood as soon as you walk in tomorrow. Do you still have the train commute to contend with? That was probably a good decision about the jacket as it’s quite an investment. Did Mr A. buy his?

Lindsay, I’ve been meaning to ask you about your OH. Now that you’ve written that he went over to tell the neighbours off, it seems he can get around by himself and stand his ground. Has there been any improvement in his sight or is it that he’s adapting well? By the way, I read something about the gadgets that you and CalifD describe that accept verbal commands to turn on music, etc – it said they have the capacity for company employees to ‘listen in’ on the user which they admit to doing in the interests of improving the customer experience. They report hearing not just the commands given but background conversation. Some Amazon employees said they were privy to illegal activity. Careful what you say!

Please do post a photo of the black dress and red boots. And have a lovely time. It wasn’t that long ago that we were attending 40th birthday parties. Now it’s 60ths and 70ths!

My brother only has a small role in The Crown, it’s not a speaking part so his name won’t be in the credits. I’ve seen photos of him after being made up for it but I won’t say what happens to him as it would be a spoiler to the plot. After it’s screened, I’ll let you know who he was.

Now for the second A&C coffee and then OH and I will hit the walking path before it starts to rain. It doesn’t look like much on the radar but hopefully the *%D>+~* trampoline will get a good soaking!

I need to go back to work to get my brain working! Cali and Lindsay I got you mixed up…sorry!

Good morning lovely people.

Thin, could you be out there with the hose when it starts raining to ensure trampoline is well watered?

Lindsay, the outfit sounds like a killer and a photo would be good. Enjoy the birthday party.

Anzac, you enjoyed your week off and that’s the main thing. I’m sure you’ll get that small gain off again when back to your usual routine. Is it tomorrow that you start the new job? I like your way of diffusing situations with humour – I tend to do that too. It does seem to cut through the tension and allow everyone to relax.

My weigh has again moved back up to the 75s. My body is definitely fighting the lower weight goal. I suspect there’s an element of self sabotage too as I find myself snacking more than I should on too many NFDs. As this week is going to be warm (high 20s-low 30s) I’ve decided to try another fast800 week. It does reliably get me down into the low 70s. It also forces me to stop the snacking as there’s only room for 1-2 pieces of fruit as snacks in an 800cal day. I usually allow roughly 100cal for milk for cups of tea, 100cal for fresh fruit snacks and 600cal for two meals (lunch and dinner). I find as long as get close to my 7 serves of fruit and veg for the day and make sure I have some solid protein I have plenty of food and don’t get very hungry.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday. Mine will be quiet with a walk or two inserted throughout the day.

Sunny Sunday noon. Melbourne.

Rosy Posy, cheers for you! Hip hooray!
    I’m going to ask my sisters about your AFL question, I know one of them feels like me, and another is a magpies fan. Our family was 2 boys and 5 girls, so girls did outnumber.

LJoyce, I am still erratic re NFD’s (which is why I am so pleased if I manage well!) but I am on a little bit of a roll at the moment and hoping it will continue. May it be be your turn next. Has your Lent activity been a help or too much stress? Nearly over anyway.
    Hooray for your rhubarb, and hoping your lower back settles quickly. Good decision not to exacerbate it!
    Those soups look just wonderful. I have put the link on my YD fb page to share them further!

Lindsay, so glad you have had time to write here! And it is just lovely to read about your native bees in your garden. They will love those herbs left to flower.

Your Chinese neighbours sound like they are the kind of neighbours whose challenges are balanced out by their rewards.

So sorry the same isn’t so for you Thin. The only strategy I can think of is to be such a horrible neighbour, moving will seem like the best choice for them. An easy thing to be, given their behaviour. You will see them out!

And fancy getting below the 58s! You are on a roll. I can’t remember which date is your birthday… 19th?

Back to you Lindsay, I am so glad you could help out so your co worker can concentrate on her son. Sending best wishes. And so glad your double time is almost over, and the holiday is in sight. Hooray for maintenance!
    And ooh what a gorgeous outfit. I’d love to see a photo.

I am another Nicola Walker admirer. I’d watch anything that has her in it! (But really, Thin, it was Halifax, not Paris! šŸ˜‰ )
    And I love Olivia Coleman too.

Anzac, lovely to read your catch up. Of course you are a bit apprehensive about your new job, it is always a risk. But I bet you will settle easily. Modelling friendliness, humour and hard work is the best contribution to a work team! Have fun with those dreadful jokes.

Best wishes to you all!

Hi guys, the international food and games party was a lot of fun. I fitted into a new pair of slinky jeans and for the first time in 30 years didnā€™t have to cover my bum up. I made rosti which I will never make again as grating the potato and squeezing out the liquid was sooooo fiddly and time consuming. Still every single one was eaten! I had a couple of Swiss ham and cheese croissant left over and hub and I just had them for breakfast. So decadent ! Back on the fast days tomorrow. I will have recovered from the weekendā€™s extravagances by Wednesday and will include daily exercise now that I am on holidays. 1.5 kg to go to get to goal of 60 kg.

Well done Thin for a new pb! Obviously fish is a dieterā€™s friend !

I am now going to make Cinqueā€™s chicken and vegetables soup in my slow cooker. Thanks Cinque!

LJ, thank you for posting that soup recipe link. Thatā€™s one of the best sites Iā€™ve seen for a diverse bunch of soups that all look interesting. You mentioned that youā€™re growing rhubarb in a pot. How much sun does it get? I see to remember from back in Wisconsin that they needed a fair amount of shade. Our summers here are so different, hot and dry.

Lindsay, I would have been furious too if a neighborā€™s uncle hacked down a tree in my yard. Did she give a reason for such behavior? I laughed at your exchange about the dinner invitation and her texting you at 5:31. Your response was hilarious. I suppose the good does make up for the bad. I hope youā€™ll post a picture of the black dress and red boots. It sounds like a stunning outfit.

Thin, I hope the neighbors havenā€™t signed another lease. I hope they move on soon. I think not returning their ball was a good idea. Iā€™m with DD about injecting it with unpleasant (evil smelling?) substances. šŸ˜ Congrats for getting into the 57ā€™s again! Well done.

Anzac, you will be the perfect person for the job with your positive attitude and great work ethics. Iā€™m glad you had the time to chill out between jobs. Iā€™m sure Maxx appreciated it too.

Cinque, has Miss 4 stayed with you since the move? Did she sleep through the night?

I bought a couple of racks for one of my cabinets where I store serving platters. I have built up quite a collection, especially since shopping at the op shop. But they were all just stacked on top of one another which made it difficult to get out the ones I wanted to use. These racks store them upright and two of them fit perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5FK130/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and now my cupboard looks so neat and orderly. And I can easily see which platters I want to use. It really makes me feel good to have it all organized. And the racks are much sturdier than ones Iā€™ve seen in the stores.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Ugh pre-new-job nerves tonight and I hope I get some sleep. I will have a quarter of a restavit to help there

Thin, I still have the train trip (boo) and will get off at the same station (Town Hall) but instead of being in the building directly on top of the station I will have a 3 block walk. That’s fine, except when it is raining of course.

I love those storage racks Cali, what a great idea! We desperately need to sort out our china and it’s on the list for the Easter long weekend.

Your party sounded fun Rosy and my bum is the biggest part of me so I long to be able to not have to cover it too. Soon!

Thanks so much everyone for the new job encouragement. I will let you know how tomorrow goes.

I’ve made a goan pork curry for dinner and it is tomato based without any cream or coconut milk/cream. Hubby loves it and so do I. It’s based on a Jamie Oliver recipe with my own bits and pieces added. Also my home-made naan dough has risen nicely. I’m going to try Neil’s oven baking idea tonight. I also made a nice salad of diced tomato, red onion, cucumber and coriander to go with it all and a squeeze of fresh lime is all that needs. A yoghurt side dish with paprika, cumin, fresh lemon juice and honey to bring it all together. Yum! I have so enjoyed having time to cook nice meals but bills need to be paid and kibble bought so back to work I go.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing and lovely Sunday evening (or sound asleep for you Cali). Penguin, have we lost you in Portugal?

Cinque, thanks for correcting me on the Last Tango In Halifax. Absentminded mistake! Everyone else was too polite to tell me (or unfamiliar with it). And thanks, I’ve been a horrible neighbour today and still looking at the ball. Glad that your NFDs are going along swimmingly. Miso soup for me tonight, I always think of you when I have it. I’ve made a huge pot of chilli con carne for the OFMs.

LJ, good luck with the Fast800 days. You know what to do to prevent getting on the slippery slope. And now the jeans are gone, you have no choice!

CalifD, I use a dish rack similar to yours to store my serving platters. I was so proud of my idea when I thought of it. I also store my saucepan lids the same way in a deep kitchen drawer. Instead of those awkward corner cabinets with the strangely hinged double doors so common in kitchens, I designed my kitchen so that the two corner spaces are instead two sets of deep jarrah drawers – but on the other side of the wall dividing the kitchen from the family room. This allows me to store items for the al fresco (now rarely enjoyed) such as serving platters, napkins, etc closer to the outdoor area. One drawer is devoted to the upright platters.

Rosy, pleased you had a great night. What a party pair you are! And thanks for the photo. You look very slim indeed in your pants. My dip into the 57s was short-lived. I haven’t seen that score since I was about 12. Good thing I took a photo of the scales. Yes, more fish required! Did you get much rain up there? Enjoy your time off work.

Anzac, you will be a star. I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Morning all. Anzac, hope you slept well and your new job is great. Looking forward to hearing about your first day (and those 3 blocks will be great for some incidental exercise).

Thin (and I think LJ – sorry for not answering while I was reading but not posting), my OH’s sight has reached a level where he is quite independent, but it’s not great. So he can certainly see well enough to go to the city for his classes (bus, no more driving) and even to read on his Ipad with the point size pushed up up up. He has a new phone with the point size at the highest level – difficult, but manageable. We do have some amusing times though. When he started cooking while I was at work, he had dinner all ready to pop in to the oven – harissa lamb chops – one of the recipes from the little book my DD wrote out for him. ‘What’s baking powder’ he asked. I checked the book. Lucky too, because had he known what it was, he would have laid the chops on it, instead of baking paper.

Our birthday party yesterday was just fabulous. The company was great and the food was amazing (I was moderate) but so too were the drinks. Six bottles of Grange, all that was left in my friends’ cellar, Moet champagne, and to finish, a 1977 Port which was like drinking silk. Because I was driving, I only had a small glass of Grange, another of Wolf Blass shiraz, a few sips of port and a small glass of champagne for the toasts. Over 5 hours, not bad, although written down it does sound rather a lot. I gave my glass of port to a non-driving friend – such restraint.

It was warm here yesterday so I abandoned my red boots in favour of my CTB (car to bar) heels …they may not look it, but are pretty comfortable for short periods, and fortunately there were a lot of stools to perch on in the restaurant before the sit-down meal. https://imgur.com/ZM2LcPZ

The dress is hard to photograph, but it is my current favourite. Sleeveless, but a good cut around the arms, and the top quite fitted then flares from the waist to the hem. It sits quite flat but swings with movement.

LJ, self-sabotage. I hear you! I find my one square of Lindt has turned into … mmm….more than that. And that’s not all. We know how to do this! And we will! (and thank you for those wonderful soup recipes).

Cali, loved the amazon link too thank you.

I have taken a day off work because I have little Miss 5 today while her Mum works. Fortunately the date was already locked in the diary before I took on these extra duties. We are going to the city for Yum Cha, and to buy some hair accessories. Such a sweetheart. We brought the girls new thongs as part of their little Bali gifts, ready for next summer. Now the 3 year old will only wear one of her old ones together with one of the new ones (different brand, different colour, different pattern, different size). She gets some comments at the shops, but she’s blithely unfazed by it.

Time for another coffee. Have a good day all.

oops – dress didn’t post. http://imgur.com/J0e86JX

Lovely post to start my day after FD Lindsay, thank you. Beautiful dress and shoes. Wow, those heels! You wear them in the car? How do the heels not get damaged while driving? You must be one very elegant lady! Sounds like a great evening. Good to hear that OH is functioning fairly independently within the constraints of his sight. It sounds like you exercised restraint re: the alcohol; it was a big celebration after all.

Good luck today Anzac!

Good morning….am on the train and heading towards the city. A late start as they asked me to start at 10am so had a nice sleep-in and a non-hurried morning. They agreed in the interview that I will be able to do my usual 7-4 so I will hold them to it after today

Thanks for the good wishes. It is so nice to know that my lovely cyber friends are thinking of me šŸ™‚

That dress is stunning Lindsay! So glad the birthday dinner went so well and that your hubby is able to get around independently.

Thin your kitchen sounds extremely well designed. We put a lot of thought (and money) into ours too. We have two pull-out pantry’s and one corner cupboard has dual spin around gadgets on top of each other where we store our saucepans etc so if the one you want is at the back you just spin it towards you. The other two are also pull out so when you open the door the whole shelf unfolds and comes with it. Hard to explain

Ok I am going to listen to some uplifting music for the rest of the journey. Have a great day everyone

Good morning everyone.

Anzac, I hope you get off to a really good start today. As you’ve worked with some of these people before it should help break the ice and you already have an idea of the personalities you are working with.

Lindsay, wow what an outfit. I will ditto Thin’s comment – how do you drive in those killer heels? I had a wistful moment looking at your lovely shoes. I can no longer wear any heel higher than about 3cm, but used to have a gorgeous collection of high heels. It made up for my short stature.
    Yes we do know how to do this. I find it’s rarely lack of knowledge that ruins my eating choices it’s my mindset. In the right frame of mind I can resist any temptation, in the wrong one I want to eat everything in sight.

Cali & Thin, good storage solution for platters and pan lids. Trust Cali to find one on Amazon. I noticed that Ikea had something similar made from metal, for storing pan lids, last time I was there. It’s a concertina design so can be adjusted in length to fit the cupboard. https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40164075/ I had been considering getting one for the pan lids but hadn’t considered using it for platters – that’s a really good idea.

Cali, my rhubarb is in a pot that I keep on the northern edge of the back verandah. That way it gets lots of summer shade but the winter sun.
    Once I get the back garden bed dug over and the large shrubs planted along the fence line, I am considering making the whole front row of low-medium level plants edible. Probably a combination of perennials like herbs, sorrel and rhubarb and annual crops too. I will have some areas of part-shade where I think rhubarb will do well. I might move it into the ground then – it does grow better there than in a confined pot.

Rosy, sounds like you had a lot of fun Saturday night. I make rosti, but it really helps if you have a food processor to do the grating for you. I don’t mind small hand grating jobs, but 2 vegetables is my limit.

I’ve been wondering whether I may need to keep doing a Fast800 week every month if I want to stay at the lower weight. I think it’s either that or get a whole lot more active. Normal 5:2 doesn’t keep me there on my current activity level. I do concede though that the amount of snacking and discretionary foods on NFDs aren’t helping. The problem is if I try to control too many of my NFDs I feel resentful and deprived and then I start overeating. It’s a viscous cycle.

Someone asked whether the mindful commitment that I’ve been doing has helped. It’s helped in some things and made me aware of behaviours I hadn’t noticed. It hasn’t stopped me snacking, but reduced it some days when I can’t be bothered sitting at the table to eat a snack. Not enough to control all snacking though.
    I have become aware of just how much stimulus there is here at the one time. It would not have been unusual for me to be listening to a tv program, while using the laptop and also eating – or watching tv, playing a game on my phone and eating. That is something I’ve stopped, although a few times I caught myself in that situation before I remembered I needed to turn things off and just eat.
    I have found that some things don’t distract me from concentrating on my food and that is sound. So I can have music in the background or even a tv program, providing I’m listening not watching, and I can sit at the table and eat a meal and not feel distracted. The moment I add vision in the form of a tv screen, phone or laptop it’s a problem and I plan to not do that often in future. It’s a particular problem with snacks, more than meals.
    It’s been a useful exercise and I’m glad I did it.

Hi all, Iā€™ve lost track of posts because I got unsubscribed from the thread somehow. I have this week off and took my boy to the pool yesterday. I had the energy to run up to the top of the water slide with him for a couple of hours so Iā€™m happy with that.

We went to McDonaldā€™s today because he had some vouchers for some free food that he won at futsal, I asked them for a garden salad with grilled chicken (arenā€™t I good). The girl serving said they donā€™t do chicken salad anymore. I pointed out that they do salad, and they do grilled chicken, surely they could combine it. She said no, we donā€™t do chicken salad. Then her manager came over and told her to enter a salad with grilled chicken as a side and just put them in the same container. I guess McDonalds donā€™t pay their employees to think. The salad was disappointing, just a container of lettuce with two small slices of tomato and a fee pieces of onion thrown on the top.

Good morning everyone

Iā€™ve just caught up on your posts and wanted to say hi to you all. Iā€™m sitting on my back deck writing this while my new oven is on inside at 280 degrees to try and burn off some of that new oven smell. Yes!! after the longest wait ever (well it seems like it) the electrician installed my new oven about two hours ago. Iā€™m so excited and Iā€™m hoping to start cooking in it this afternoon if I can get rid of that awful smell.

I have the day off from work today and itā€™s nice to be able to just potter around and do whatever. The only thing is that it is my Monday FD and I am determined that it will be my first successful FD while being home all day (instead of at work). So far so good, three cups of tea later and itā€™s not even lunch time yet! I have three days of work and then 10 days off. Oh yeah!!! I am going to be cooking in my new oven so much over that time and have been thinking about all the things I want to make. We buy our meat in bulk and as we havenā€™t had the oven for so long, we have lots of roasts left. I canā€™t wait to do some pro and get that crackling happening. Uh oh, letā€™s move onto another topic….. lol

Anzac, I hope you have a really great first day at your new job. Lindsay, I really love the heels – I am such a shoeee too! thin, hope you get rid of those neighbours soon AND the new ones are much better! Rosy, great job on the weight loss.

Ok time to go check out whatā€™s happening with this oven. Oh, I forgot to mention. I put my oven thermometer in there to see what the temperature is when it beeps to tell you it has reach the set temperature. It is 25 degrees hotter than it is set at!! A big difference to being over 100 degrees cooler than set at hahahahahaha

Iā€™m going to check out that link to the soups this afternoon, LJ. Hope you get back into the swing of things and look after those NFDs. I have had a few blow outs recently myself so I understand. Today I am determined to get this FD done and have a nice controlled NFD tomorrow.

A big hi to everyone I havenā€™t mentioned. Take care all x

Hi all

Thin. You don’t have to come from England to be a rubbish swimmer. I avoid the water wherever possible despite growing up in a beachside suburb and holidaying on the coast. Those neighbours are a pest, hope they get out of your hair soon. That new low, you might not be trying to lose weight but are you trying too hard not to put it on? You seem hyper vigilant about your eating, perhaps you can relax a bit. Enjoy your birthday, however you celebrate it. Keep that ball and anything else, sell it at your next garage sale.

Quakka. Deciding on a weight goal is tricky, sounds like you are in a good place now so enjoy it.

Betsy. How are you now all those B2B are over. I have bought chocolatier before and it is hard to pick just a few of all that is on offer. All in the past, now, of course.

Cinque. Well done on the garden. You will have nice free healthy food to harvest soon

Rosy. What an achievement, you must be thrilled to have banished those unwanted kilos and done it in a way that you have still enjoyed your life to the max. Getting back to exercise will consolidate your loss.

Lindsay. Congrats on the bees. Do you need two hives for the different sort of bees or do they all bunk in together. Ok, just read your second post and see that they will be separate. What is the benefit of having both sorts? Your garden sounds like the perfect home for them. Hope you can get some rest after your hectic work load. Best wishes on your mojo, how long to Beijing? Nice that your neighbours are so friendly, perhaps you could gently mention that you can hear them clearly from your bedroom and they might modify their goodbyes. Hope that tree wasn’t a precious one. Glad your OH made his point, hope it got across. Boy, those shoes, I would be crippled trying to wear them. You must have had a few eyes popping when you walked in, and quite a wine list, I would have saved myself for the port, that’s my weakness. I hear you re small children and clothes. Mr G had his fourth birthday recently and looked lovely in his full length Elsa dress. He also insisted on having a Moana outfit like his sister. I am taking him out on Tuesday and won’t be surprised if he is wearing dress up. He also will be unfazed.

Anzac. See, Maxx is worth his keep, he knows who the enemy is. You will already have had your first day at work and I am sure you nailed it. At least you are prepared, it would have been worse if everyone had glossed over the problems. I sometimes think bad jokes are better than good ones for easing the atmosphere. So, new job and renewed commitment to WOL, that measly 1.5kg will melt away. I agree about the jacket, too much money and too much pressure. Those 3 blocks will add to your exercise. Are you also able to work from home again?

LJ. Hope your back is better, especially if you are considering digging over your garden. You certainly have the tools to manage your weight but mindset is so important. If only we knew how to flick that switch when we needed to but sometimes, just dogged perseverance gets us back on track. I’m sure we’ll hear good news from you soon.

Calif. your rack looks good. Glad to see you are still keeping Amazon in business. I am trying to work out if I could fit one in my cupboard because it would make my storage more efficient

Whoo, finally got to the end of all the posts, serves me right for not jumping in earlier. Probably missed someone too. Hosted an impromptu get together of DD old friends for her wedding anniversary. Made a pot roast on the stove top for the first time and it literally fell apart. Really tasty, also made smashed potatoes (twice cooked) in the oven and thought I had made too much. No, nothing left. Lovely night, lots of children and a group photo at the end. Quite pleased with how I looked in it. More kid wrangling on Wednesday, this time it’s planned and egg dyeing is the go. A new activity for all so the deck will probably be redecorated again but should be fun. Seeing Cinque and her GD tomorrow and looking forward to that.

Hi all, it is a bit chaotic today, so just a quick catch up.

Rosy, I have remembered that the soup started off as a slow cooker recipe! So it should turn out especially good!

Cali, no overnight yet. I’m still struggling a bit just to look after myself. I’ll get there though.

Anzac, so many good wishes for that first day!

Thin, ha, when I read Last Tango in Paris I was thinking ‘when was Nicola in that?’. But a bit unfair since I didn’t pull up LJoyce for calling my Neapolitan pie Sicilian!!!!! (That really did need 5 exclamation marks šŸ˜‰ )

Lindsay Happy Happy Day After Birthday Wishes to you both! https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/cb/b2/ffcbb28df3c0ef27e81da1db2b4886af.jpg
    And what GORGEOUS shoes! And dress. You must have felt fabulous.
    Have a lovely day with Miss 5, and aren’t 3yo’s dags!

LJoyce, it was me that asked about Mindful Lent. It has been a success!

Neil, yes, well, maccas….

Quacka, Hooray re the oven. Get cooking! What fun! (Although maybe a bit tricky on a fast day…)

Klondi, what an excellent catch up. Hooray for liking yourself in a photo! See you tomorrow!

Must go, cheers all.

Lindsay, it wasn’t your birthday, was it? If so, I misread in my haste. I interpreted it as two of your friends having a joint 70th birthday bash. But Happy Birthday just in case.

Cinque, I’d rather someone pointed out my errors than let them go. I do tend to write how I speak, assuming everyone else knows what I’m on about.

Quacka, yay, re: the oven but will the increase in temperature not pose a different set of problems? It would for me. How nice that you have hols coming up. Hope your FD is finishing on a high note.

Klond, you give a lot of good advice. I don’t think I’m trying not to gain weight, it’s more that food doesn’t really interest me that much at the moment. Tonight I will be having the leftover chilli con carne, not the healthiest choice perhaps. I think also that, whereas I used to eat when upset (or any excuse really!), nowadays I don’t eat when upset. Anzac, can I please borrow your expression and start calling the woman next door ‘that cow wife’? I’m sure I would feel so much better.

About snacking, some of you might remember PerthGirl who disappeared from these pages after a cycling trip to Europe. Anyway, she and I met for coffee and she told me that she never snacks she’s very slim). Instead her snack foods are incorporated into meals. I adopted that idea. I enjoy nuts, olives and good cheese, for example. I don’t eat lunch as I have breakfast close to lunch time. So, when I feel like those snack foods, I call it lunch but it’s really just a small sample of one or all of those foods along with a few spoonfuls of kefir. I don’t buy chocolate, chips, dips or other snack ‘food’ that isn’t really food. Since discovering decaf tea that really works, I find it’s easy to drink a cup of tea after dinner and forget about snacking.

LJ, that IKEA gadget looks superb. I haven’t been to IKEA in years. It’s a bit of a packed lunch outing for us and I just never think about it.

Neil, good for you for making McD serve up the healthier choice. No, I doubt they’re trained to think at that level.

Anzac, I hope it’s been a stellar first day on the job.

I watched ABC for the first time in months last night as a programme called ‘Ask The Doctor’ caught my eye while I was getting to Netflix. It outlined in simple terms the dangers of alcohol, the lack of health warnings on the products (another self-regulated industry with a conflict of interest) and how many young people seemed not to know of the associated health risks, in particular cancer and heart disease. Did anyone else see it?

P.S. Cinque, to go with your multiple exclamation marks, I have inserted just half a ( ….. ) above. It should be (she’s very slim).

Hi all

Had a quiet day and managed to finish watching Line of Duty. Boy, do they write a good villain. After that I found That Sugar Movie on Stan. I remember there was a lot of discussion about this when it first came out. Didn’t realise it was Australian. Worth a look if you haven’t seen it. Explains why I have lost my taste for sweet stuff and I’m very glad I have. No wonder less food is satisfying now my brain isn’t craving glucose, another bonus of 5-2. Thin, you had a scan which measured visceral fat, what was it called? I know there is a DEXA scan but this was called something else.

Neil. When Maccas was allowed an outlet at Royal Children’s Hospital, they had to introduce salads and fruit. It’s all a bit token though. They also had the first McCafe there and now it’s world wide. There was a seated version of Ronald McDonald which somehow had a damaged leg. Our head orthopaedic surgeon insisted on doing the plaster cast. It lasted for quite a while. In the new hospital, they were relegated to quite a small store and a number of other varieties of food is now available.

Hi all, quickly scanned, as so many posts to read, and I may muddle up some responses – apologies in advance.

LindsayL, if your neighbour laughed when your OH complained, yes, it is embarrassment, and a very common reaction also in China. It’s the “loss of face”.

LJoyce, with your FD800, maybe reduce the fruit??? In the CSIRO low carb diet book, they don’t even allow any fruit for the first several weeks, and after that, only certain fruits, particularly berry-type fruit. It’s because of the fructose, which can only be processed in the body by the liver. It can stimulate the appetite because your blood sugar goes up and then down very quickly.

Anzac65, good to have you back posting. Glad you had such a nice holiday with OH and Maxx. Good luck with the new job next week.

Klondikequen, yes, I too love Chocolatier chocolate, and am so glad it’s really expensive as then I can’t afford to buy it very often.

Lots more, but too late at night. I survived my 4 B2B last week with a blip of a CD for the last one. BUT, my weight is now DOWN 0.5 kg to my lowest during March (and also 1.1 kg since the start of April, as I went down and partly up again in March), so it truly looks as if the plateau has shifted. Only (only???) 22 kg to go to goal weight. Managed a FD800 today; trying for 3 per week, alternate days, and generally manage 2, but aim higher, or you won’t achieve anything. So impressed with Rosy Posy’s successful weight journey. Slower and steady for me – 10.7 kg in 20 weeks – but down, yay, yay!
    Oh, and I did another wardrobe cleanout, this time of autumn and winter weight clothing, plus some clothes that I bought when heavier thinking they’d be good once I lost weight. Now the weight’s off, they don’t look right (sigh!). A friend came over yesterday (unemployed due to injury) and she tried on and took 7 tops that I’d never worn. A couple were quite dressy, so she was thrilled. The rest will go to the op shop tomorrow.

After 2 a.m., so signing off till next time.

Good morning on such a devastating day. R.I.P Notre Dame ā˜¹ļø. We have a week in Paris on our trip and it was on the top of our list to visit and now it has gone

Yesterday was a long and confusing day and I forgot everyone’s name the second I was introduced but that’s normal for a first day. I enjoyed seeing lots of people that I worked with previously. My new boss introduced me as ‘my new payments expert’ which was terrifying. Now I have to live up to it! Time will tell

Lindsay, happy happy birthday! I too misread your posts. So glad you had a lovely time

After two good CD’s I have lost 500g already and after today’s FD hopefully another 500 or so might be gone tomorrow.

Thin, please feel free to refer to the neighbour as cow wife because that’s what she is.

Betsy, I think you are doing so well and 10.7 in 20 weeks is a perfect pace. Congratulations! Glad your friend could benefit with some new clothes

Klondi, I laughed at the Ronald McD statue in a cast. Glad they were forced to put healthy food on the menu, even if token

Quacka, yay re the new oven! Enjoy your cooking spree and your days off work.

I’m going to post this before I lose it as I find it awkward on my phone. Back soon

Morning all. I think it is easier to go to work than take a 5 year old to town. We slumped in a chair when we got home, but she was still singing away to herself and getting on with her craft. I’d love her energy. So, visa applications in for Beijing and points south. Probably Xian, down to Kaifeng and on to ZhengZhou for a few days each, ending up in Macau. We’ve been to Xian a couple of times before but spent a lot of time at the Warriors and not much on the town itself which seemed quite interesting. I’ve worked in both Kaifeng and ZZ, but OH hasn’t been to either and wants to have a look. I like Keifeng – ZZ less so. Kaifeng has a large Muslim community and the best street food – think mobile tandors and slow cooked pork (yes, pork) in baked to order round bread. And sidewalk stalls with big vats of bubbling stock. You choose your additions – veges, tofu, meat – it’s cooked in a wire basket and you perch on a tin chair to eat it.
    Betsy we’ve lived around various parts of Asia and recognised the laughter as loss of face. My SIL was shocked, but fortunately my OH understood what was going on. He put his position firmly but quietly, too. So easy to lose one’s own face, not just cause loss of face. Complex business.
    Klondi I loved Line of Duty. Twists, right to the end. I’ve gone back to repeats of Unforgotten because of my adoration of Nicola Walker. So good.
    LJ I rarely wear heels now too – and I have a wardrobe of them. We shoeaholics mourn (I don’t think that is too strong a word) their passing …. I felt good in wearing a pair of killer heels again..but it’s back to my flats and boots now.
    Thin you read correctly – not my birthday but two friends who turn 70 within a month of each other (but thank you Cinque for your birthday wishes … I’ll store them til November). Nice of you to call me elegant Thin – kind, but I’d be a damned sight more stylish if I could shift this last 15 kilos.
    I don’t drive in the heels – barefoot, then slip them on as I get out of the car. BTW I also had a pair of havianas on standby, in case we had to walk to the restaurant, and a spare pair of lower heeled sandals in the case in case there wasn’t any seating.
    (And I knew what you were on about – Paris, Halifax. Both had a last tango šŸ™‚ ). And now Notre Dame is burning – how very very sad.
    Klondi I love that the children wear what they will, without inhibitions. I remember my friend’s 3 year old wanting ballet lessons so desperately, and then when he got there found he couldn’t wear a tutu, so wouldn’t go. I often wondered why they wouldn’t let him. I love your description of 3 year olds Cinque – best I’ve heard. Dags. Perfect.
    OK first consultation due in a few minutes so I’ll say goodbye for now. How was your first day Anzac?

Hi all

Yes I was devastated too to see the Notre Damme on fire. 850 years of history literally going up in smoke. It’s a really sad thing to see, much like the millennia of history destroyed by ISIS in the middle east when they destroyed all historic sites in their path.

On a happier note, personally, it’s my last weigh-in day of the fast 800 tomorrow morning. I’m feeling pretty good about it, I’ve felt a lot thinner this week than I did last week. I may not hit my 2 kilogram goal for this week, but I’ve definitely dropped weight and since I had 19.5 kilograms lost to date at the last weigh-in, I should comfortably hit 20 kilograms over the 12 week period.

I’m going to celebrate by going out and buying new work clothes. When I started I had two different size pants, a bigger pair that were comfortable and the next size down that were tight. Now both of them are ridiculously loose. I was losing weight so fast that I didn’t want to buy new pants, so I’ve just been walking around in the big ones with a belt to hold them up. It will be interesting to see what size clothes I actually am now.

Good morning, Tuesday, 8:40am Melbourne. Day before fast day.
    Sorry news to wake up to. Paris’ Notre Dame, such an icon, for so many centuries. So glad they think the structure will be saved. Fingers crossed.

Oops Lindsay. If my memory was any worse I could organise my own surprise party.

What a sensible idea from PerthGirl, Thin. I often count a serve of nuts as dessert. I’m hoping that when I have been maintaining a bit longer, my brain will have settled down to only demanding the food I need.

I remember when Maccas opened at the RCH, Klondi, but I didn’t know that great story about the cast.

Betsy, so glad you are off the plateau. Half a kilo a week is the average for 5:2, and I think it is an excellent rate.
    Sympathies for the lovely clothes that don’t suit you after all, but happy friend!

Anzac, I hope you are whizzing along at work today, and that some of the names are sticking. Aren’t you back in the 5:2 swing! Lovely.

Haha, Lindsay (comparing a day with a 5 year old to a day at work). I hope you got a lovely rest after a wonderful day.
    What a wonderful trip you have planned. I only know about those different areas of China through some lovely cooking shows. I’m envious of you and Betsy (and anyone else I have forgotten) for time spent in China.

I’m off to see The Gruffalo today with Klondi and two 4 year olds. Such fun!

Best wishes everyone.

Edit Neil: Hooray for new trousers. Cheers for today. End of stage one!

Morning losers, lovely posts, so enjoyable to read.

Working backwards, Neil, well done. I’m looking forward to getting your results too. Imagining you with a pair of braces holding up a pair of trousers with a massively overlarge waist for your new frame. Wise not to buy too many new clothes on the way down. I was so thrilled to reach size 14 that I went a bit overboard – but barely got to wear that size as I headed into lower dress size territory so quickly.

Lindsay, not really car to bar then! I enjoy the mini people stories. One of my friends was recounting how she was trying to kit out Miss 4 grandie with clothing for being a flower girl at her daughter’s wedding. She doesn’t want anything new to wear for the wedding because she already has a fairy dress and tiara and shoes that she loves! ‘Unforgotten’ was another great show with Nicola Walker, I think she’s the lead detective in that one. Such a versatile actor.

Good for your OH for handling a difficult situation so well. My OH also remained calm when the cow wife (thanks Anzac) was ranting at us. At one point, he calmly said, ‘just stop for a minute’. When she finally took a breath and shut up, he asked, ‘do you hear any noise at all in the street?’. My walking buddy works at the school where her children are pupils. She’s never said anything before but, seeing how distressed I’ve been over the confrontation, she confided in me that the teachers think she’s an uneducated, overbearing b*tch. It made me feel a lot better as the neighbour had made me feel that the deterioration in the relationship was all our fault. Last night I slept right through.

Anzac, you will live up to the glowing introduction. They will love you. And you handled all that on a FD? What a star! Such a shame that so much history is going up in smoke in Paris.

Betsy, glad you’re back on track. Your weight loss is superb. Culling large size clothing feels so good, doesn’t it?

Klond, I had the InBody 570 visceral scan. Minka was kind enough (from several states away) to research when and where it was available in a suburb close to me. They had a special deal for first time users and it was very inexpensive.

P.S. Morning Cinque, just saw your post. Have a lovely time with Klond today. Very funny about organising your own surprise party.

Hi Lindsay, our posts crossed. Glad I didn’t miss your birthday after all šŸ™‚ You must be excited about your trip to China, I would love to go there but OH isn’t keen. I’ll keep working on it

Cinque, I am so sorry to hear you are struggling to take care of yourself. I do so hope you are feeling a bit better soon.

Neil, good on you for standing your ground with the Maccas order. Maybe not a great meal in the end but its the principle

LJ, I have exactly the same problem if I try to limit too much on my NDF’s. I go the opposite direction so there is a fine line. Good luck with your Fastt800 week if you decide to do it

Ok must get to work. I will be lurking as I am already very hungry as I haven’t had a proper FD for a while. Going to make a nice coffee

Have a great day!

Viewing 50 posts - 20,401 through 20,450 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.