Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 2 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,901 through 17,950 (of 28,029 total)

• 1:25pm Mon, Adelaide

Hi everyone, I’ve been AWOL since Saturday. Have some posts to catch up on.
    Yesterday was a busy social day that involved rather a bit too much food!

Suz, sending you best wishes for your procedure. I hope all goes well.

Anzac and Quacka, I am joining you in a FD today. So far for me I’m onto my third cup cup of tea and I’ve just eaten 1/2 a banana. Dinner will be a omelette with homegrown veg & herbs and a sprinkle of parmesan.

Punks, Doing food prep for the week is a great idea, especially when combining work and study – I did that for so many years and remember how tiring the days can be and how easy it is to rely on take away when you are exhasted.

Thin & Punks, I have a bit of catching up to do on the travel front. But I do have lots of future plans, once my remaining mortgage is paid off. There’s one thing I can guarantee – I will not be hitch hiking!

Cinque, glad to hear you had a lovely break “concentrating” on your grand daughters.

Arel, happy for you to vent. I’m also happy for you to stay and chat, it doesn’t matter if you aren’t up to 5:2 at the moment – we will not be fair weather friends.

GDSA, sounds like the abusive forums were worth dropping. I don’t see the point in not being supportive on forums like.

Cali, those who named our towns seemed to have an obsession with names with a “OO” in them – I have no idea why. There are quite a few farming towns in my state that fit the bill: Alawoona, Pinnaroo, Karoonda, Lameroo, Coomandook, Punyelroo – all towns in the Mallee farming region where my mother grew up and 1-2 hours drive from where I grew up.
    Haha – I like the comment about politicians and hot air – ours are rather good at that too! šŸ˜€

Maria, I’m not the person to ask about water fasting. I follow 5:2 as written – which means 500 calories per fast day. I don’t anyone else on this forum thread does water fasts either.
    It might be worth searching the forum for threads where water fasting is discussed. We don’t have a working search function on this site at present, but if you go to https://www.google.com/advanced_search and put https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/ in the section that says “site or domain”, then choose search parameters like “water fast”, or anything else you are looking for, it will search the 5:2 forum for those search words.

I had to do a bit of juggling with my FDs this week as my rheumatoid infusion appoints was moved to Friday – which means I need to fast Thursday. So I decided on today as well. Good thing I ate so “well” yesterday as I normally don’t like having just one NFD between FDs. However after yesterday’s excesses it should be a fairly simple FD.

I’m struggling a bit with excess joint inflammation at present. It’s part of the rheumatoid symptoms, but sometimes it’s worse than others. I can only manage a maximum 45 minute walk before my pain level becomes a problem. If I persevere it should improve. Oddly enough, being reasonably active helps my joint pain and inflammation – it’s too little and too much that’s the problem.
    I walked to the shopping centre this morning and bought a wide brimmed hat from the Cancer Council shop – trying to keep the sun off the back of my neck and my face while walking. I’d noticed I was getting quite tanned around my neckline, even with sunblock.

Hello to anyone I’ve missed, or those who are reading and not posting.
    Have a good day everyone.

Afternoon all.
    Cinque aren’t those little ones so so blissful. Glad you had such a lovely few days away,…your little granddaughter sounds very sweet ….. how lovely, to ask for your full attention.
    Reminds me a little bit of a friend who was given to dozing in the chair. He was woken one day by a gentle shake and his little GD saying, ‘wake up Grandpa – you’re meant to be looking after us.’
    These little ones add such sunshine to our days.
    Not much sunshine on other fronts unfortunately – OH’s surgery last week didn’t help much. Back to the doctor tomorrow and more surgery likely on Thursday, unless there’s a turnaround overnight. Still, he’s not gone backwards, I guess, and he has just enough sight to make out shadows. Our sweet little 5 year old brought two books over the weekend, which she read to him, and guided his hand to feel the texture of the illustrations. Very gentle soul (when she’s not stuffing around šŸ™‚

Lindsay, so sweet of the little one to read to grandad. Hoping the next lot of surgery brings a better outcome for Mr L. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

LJ, I hope you find the right balance. I know exactly what it’s like as I was diagnosed with stage IV OA knees at age 27 and could no longer run or do any jumping things like aerobics. I stacked on the weight. Since getting the weight off, I am now pain-free and my joints love me. Are you still going to the gym that you joined earlier?

Anzac, visiting the gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda is high on my list. We wanted to take DD for her graduation present but it’s hard to make plans not knowing when the graduation ceremony will be held (up to three months after the end of the course and yet to be announced) or where and when she will start work. My friend and I did make it to Zaire, as it was then, and then we hitch hiked from Nairobi to Cairo. So naive but lots of adventure! Punks, wow! Naturally, the Aussies would have outdone me on my list of countries! I have one of those scratch off maps of the world and there is still so much unscratched!

Anzac, Quacka: I’m sorry that you seem to struggle a bit with your FDs and have occasional thoughts of abandoning them. You should reach a point where you are rarely hungry on a FD because you have worked out how to get the most bang out of your 500 cals (or however many it is); when to eat them and what to eat. And, when you are hungry, you get to a point where you are able to embrace the hunger and just think, ‘so what?’ knowing that, with every breath, those fat cells are disappearing. I agree that having something available to eat is psychologically helpful even if you don’t eat it. That’s why I like to have enough calories in reserve for a boiled egg or a spoonful of cottage cheese. Just knowing it’s there eliminates the panic about going to bed hungry. I hope you can both get to the stage where you are saying hurray for fast days and enjoying the smug discipline that’s required to complete one. You can do it! For today, you’re almost there and you have each other – plus LJ.

OH ended up spending two nights in Coober Pedy as, can you believe it, it was bucketing with rain when they arrived on Saturday night and they couldn’t get any fuel on Sunday morning. I’m not really an opal fan so declined his offer to buy me one but he enjoyed educating himself on them.

First in bridge again today. It’s not that I’m competitive but it’s such a confidence builder to beat these veterans who’ve been playing for several years and who take it (and themselves) so seriously. My partner and I had a celebratory coffee! She couldn’t wipe the smile off her face.

thin – the gorillas are incredible, was lucky enough to spend about 2 hours with them when I was there. Usually the guides only allow you 45 mins – 1 hour, and the silverback will usually move his family away at about the 1 hour mark.

We should be consuming the equivalent of 0.033ml of water per kg of body weight in a day – this is if you’re not exercising & it isn’t extremely hot / humid.

Just a quick hello as itā€™s late and I fell asleep on the sofa after coming back from dinner. Itā€™s my DSā€™s birthday today and we had 2 meals out, sushi for lunch after op-shopping and then shoe shopping. Tonight the 3 of us went to our favorite Italian restaurant. DS and I decided we wouldnā€™t weigh in tomorrow, but wait until Tuesday morning after tomorrowā€™s FD. The scale tomorrow wouldnā€™t be pretty!

Lindsay, Iā€™ll be sending prayers and positive thoughts for your OS for your OSā€™s followup procedure. I hope this one will get his sight back.

Cinque, your holiday with the Little Missā€™s sounds delightful. Iā€™m glad you were able to concentrate on them properly! šŸ˜

LJ, I hope your joint inflammation gets back under control this week. It sounds like itā€™s a fine line between too little or too much exercise. Youā€™ve been doing a lot for the past several months getting your last house ready to sell and your new one the way you like it. Your gym membership may come in handy after everything is done. (Although houses seem like bottomless pits when it comes to work to be done on them.

Thin, good advice for Anzac and Quacka on getting through FDā€™s. After a while they become so routine that you wonder why you ever worried about them. Try to get over fearing the hungry feelings. They pass and they wonā€™t kill you. Honest! And once you commit to a FD, you have to follow through. Itā€™s non-negotiable. Itā€™s easy to find reasons to not follow through, so donā€™t even go there. Just do it,

Punks, it sounds like youā€™re off to a good start for your week with the meal prep. Making sure you have healthy food availabile is half the battle.

Hope all of you have a great week and that Suz is back to normal after her procedure. Please keep an eye on the world now, while I sleep. šŸ˜“

Hi everyone

FD complete. Had my veggie snacks not long after I posted my earlier post and then I was fine. Had a cup of decaf tea when I got home and made chicken breast and one of those ā€˜newā€™ konjac noodle meals for dinner that I have mentioned before. This one was the vegan pad Thai. It smelled amazing when I opened the pack and had little pieces of tofu in it. The taste was quite mild compared to the smell although it was pleasant enough. If I use this again I will be adding lots of chilli and maybe a dash of soy. Itā€™s 90 calories per serve and there are 2 serves in it, although I ate it all. That left enough for 125g cooked chicken breast and the whole meal was very filling.

OH was making his dinner and remarked that the pad Thai smelled good when I first opened the packet. I offered him to try it and he wasnā€™t too fussed on the flavour but he didnā€™t mind the noodles. We eat really flavourful foods, many with lots of chilli so I understand. Iā€™m really happy he liked the noodles though as it could be an option for us when I make Thai beef salad or the like.

Lindsay I hope the next surgery goes well for your OH.

Anzac how did you go? Also LJ?

Thanks thin and Cali for your advice/support re FDs. I am not giving up. Iā€™ve seen the results and even if the path gets a bit wobbly at times, I am sticking with this.

Without this forum and all your support and encouragement I may have given up .
    5:2 is my way of life now and when I get to my goal weight I will still do it, one way or another.

Thank you x

Hello and congrats to all who completed their FD today! Think that would be you Quacka and Anzac.

And Cinque, so happy to know you had a lovely time with the grands–what a wonderful treat for you and for them!

Thin, congrats on the bridge win . . . and thanks for asking how I’m going with 5:2. There has been a downward trend on the scales, and I’m grateful for that.

Lindsay, still wishing the best for you and OH. How sweet and kind of your grand to bring books and read to him! Precious.

LJoyce, glad to know that the walking offers some pain relief. I agree with Cali, though: figuring out the right amount is a matter of trial and error; hope you can find that balance soon.

Cali, procedure is over and things are good! Thanks to all of you for the supportive and kind comments. After pathology, doc will let me know whether I will need to go through it again in 3 years or in 5. Here’s hoping for the 5!! He was very encouraging, though, and said things look healthy. Hooray!!

Best part of the day was the beautiful cuppa they brought me once I was out of the recovery area. I don’t believe plain old black tea ever tasted so delightful!

Cheers!

Just had my first meal of my Monday FD, a small can of pink salmon with lemon juice sprinkled on it. Itā€™s one of my common FD lunches because itā€™s easy to have on hand and only 160 calories. After all the eating on the weekend, my weight has bounced up about 2 kg again, so this FD is badly needed. Doing 16/8 on NFD hasnā€™t worked out well for me. It just makes the whole thing feel more like a diet. However, I do need a little more NFD structure, so not eating after 8:00pm will probably be very helpful in getting me into the 58ā€™s again.

My DS went with me to the op shop again yesterday and found 2 nice sweaters and a jacket. I found a long sleeve white cotton top, a cut glass serving platter and another gravy boat that I like better than the previous one, which get donated back to them. So now Iā€™ve turned her on to op shop shopping and 5:2.

Thin, I forgot to congratulate you on coming in first in your bridge competition again. This is getting to be a regular thing! Youā€™ve done your 5:2 family proud šŸ‘šŸ»

Suz, so glad your tests came out good and are over, hopefully for 5 years.

Looking forward to hearing some good news from Lindsay. Iā€™ve read that it can take a few days for results to become apparent so fingers crossed that this procedure worked.

Anzac and Quacka, glad to hear that you made it through your FDā€™s. They do get easier over time. In fact, they get boring after a while. Maybe thatā€™s just me with my lack of variety foods on those days, but whatever works, huh?

You should all be waking up soon, so hope youā€™ll have a nice day.

Good morning (or good afternoon Cali)

I didn’t abandon my FD but I did end up having about 800 calories. On top of a not-so-good weekend the scales are up 500g. GAH.

I realise I have a pathological fear of being hungry. Some of my FD’s I easily get through it but sometimes not. So I have written the following on a piece of paper folded up under my keyboard at work for constant sneaky peeks on FD’s:

1. Fast Days are NOT negotiable
    2. It’s just one day
    3. The hunger will wane
    4. Fast Days will get easier and will eventually be a breeze
    5. Imagine going clothes shopping and thinking ‘wow that looks great!’ when looking in the dressing room mirror instead of cringing and quietly crying

The first four are from your wise words friends – and totally true. The last one really resonated with me when I thought about it this morning. I honestly HATE clothes shopping and wait until my clothes are rags before going.

Thanks for your encouragement Quacka and I echo your thoughts that without this forum I would almost certainly have given up. Congrats on your successful FD

Lindsay I am so sorry things are still not going well. I am sending positive thoughts and prayers

So glad your procedure went well Suz and that there is a downward trend

Punks – I agree, the gorillas were life changing for me. I was so far out of my comfort zone I almost fell off the planet but as soon as I saw them I stopped being afraid and just watched in awe. We had about an hour with them but were lucky to have the largest family with lots of little juveniles and babies. We were also lucky to be in the group that had the shortest trek. I was overweight (but still about 8 kilos lighter than now), my hubby had a crook back and the other 6 folk were either older or had injuries to contend with. The trackers are very good at putting everyone into groups depending on how far they think they can climb. The young very athletic groups had to trek for up to 6 hours to find their family but ours was only one hour. I did a LOT of training before hand and was fitter than I’ve ever been (despite the excess weight) and the hour trek was hard but not too bad. I hear the cost has skyrocketed sadly – ours was $500 USD each back in 2010. I believe it is now $1500 USD. I know the money goes back in to protecting these awesome creatures but that is now out of range for most people. I did read that you can get a 30% discount if you visit one of the other nature parks in Rwanda

here’s a picture – and a bit of a look at your future adventure hopefully thin :). Congrats on winning bridge and thank you so much for your encouraging words.
    https://imgur.com/a/djBB9sp

LJoyce, sorry to hear about your joint inflammatory pain. I hope you continue to work out the balance between being over and under activity-wise.

Cali, how nice that your DS is doing 5:2 on your encouragement – is she doing really well? Glad you found some nice clothes at the op shop.

Have a great day all

8:08am Tues, Adelaide
    Good morning everyone

Cali, as usual you are patiently waiting for the aussies to get out of bed!
    Your sister’s birthday, complete with op shopping sounds like a lot of fun.
    When I was trying to curb my NFD eating I started with an evening end point – I called it a food curfew. I hope this idea works for you too. Despite the amount of evening snacking I used to do, I found it surprisingly easy to adapt to. It actually felt like a relief when I got to curfew time because I knew I had no more mental battles over food cravings until tomorrow.

Cali & Thin, I still have my gym membership but haven’t been for a month – since the abdominal surgery. I was planning to go back in the next few days and try to get my muscles working properly again. I’m probably going to have to start from the beginning on the lowest weights.

Suz, I hope your pathology results are good. I absolutely agree about the first cuppa when you’ve fasted for a medical procedure.

Quacka, so glad to hear you had a good FD. Mine was too, although the last 2 hours before dinner I was very hungry and had to find some distractions to make it closer to 6pm. I have seen those konjac meals in one of the supermarkets, but so far I’ve only bought the plain noodles. I don’t blame you for having the whole thing. I have 3 different brands of konjac noodles, each a different size packet. Yet each says the packet contains 2 serves. For the smallest packet (Changs) I always ignore them and have the whole packet. The other brands are larger so I do treat them as 2 serves.

Lindsay, I am still hoping for a good outcome for your husband from all of these procedures. I hope you are managing not to get too stressed by the uncertainty.

I’m waiting for the blind installers to arrive shortly to install the flashings – like a metal pelmet over the outdoor blind rollers.

Have a good day all.

Hi Anzac, our posts crossed.
    Well done sticking with an 800cal FD – much better than abandoning it. This helps to set up a good pattern.
    We all understand that fear of hunger. It was so strong when I first started 5:2 and it did take time to get comfortable with the idea that it was ok to feel hungry sometimes. I had my own mantra in the early days of 5:2 on FDs. Every time I wanted to eat something I’d tell myself “Yes you can have it tomorrow”. Somehow giving myself a yes rather than a no helped with the mental battle. If I said no my stubbornness would kick in and argue back. Of course when tomorrow’s NFD arrived I’d moved on and felt like other things.
    Love the gorilla pic.

A quick good morning from sunny Melbourne. I have little miss 4 with me because she slept through the night beside me on our holiday and we thought to try and see if she could do it again at grandma’s house (instead of waking at 2 or 3am and not getting back to sleep for a couple of hours). We tried it, and she slept through! Hooray!

But it has been a busy morning and we are about to head off to the playground before I drop her home.

Suz, I am so glad your procedure was straightforward and followed by an excellent cup of tea.

Lindsay, I am so sorry things are still tough for Mr L and fingers crossed the next procedure makes a difference. It must be so hard to be patient and hopeful, for you too.

Thin, bridge-master!

Happy (belated) Birthday Crickets! Hooray for some good op shop finds!

I noticed people talking about rhubarb and so I will share a wonderful Persian recipe I have for meat stew with rhubarb. It is just so wonderful. I use my pressure cooker, but of course it would work in a saucepan or casserole, simmering until the meat is lovely and tender.

Persian (Lamb) Stew with Rhubarb
    (brackets because I use beef)

20g butter: melt in large pan
    1 kg diced lamb (2 big pieces of chuck steak in bite size pieces)
    Brown in batches, place in pressure cooker

Another 20g butter, melt in same pan
    1 onion finely sliced, fry gently until soft

Add 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground turmeric, 1 tsp salt.
    Stir until fragrant, scrape into PC

2 cups of stock with a pinch of saffron threads soaked in it (optional)
    Use some to deglaze the pan and pour the rest, and the pan scrapings, into the PC

Add 2 tbsp tomato paste to the PC. Stir well. Bring to high pressure. Cook 20 mins. Natural release.

2 ā€“ 3 stalks of rhubarb. Chop fairly small. Add to the stew and simmer gently 20 mins until the rhubarb is soft.

Yum!

Must go….

Good Morning everyone

I love your FD list Anzac and I am going to write one out for myself. I understand exactly how you feel about clothes shopping. I used to hate it also. Since losing the weight that I have, I really enjoy it again. I admit I have actually bought too many clothes just because they fit and looked nice and now I am starting to shrink out of them also!

A couple of months ago I bought myself a pair of jeans and shorts for when I lose more weight. I wore the jeans last Friday and the shorts on the weekend.
    Happy days šŸ™‚

Scales. Funny little things. So I weighed myself today, day after FD number 1. Then I went for my walk and just out of curiosity (thin has mentioned it before) I weighed myself again after the walk. Yep, another 200g down.

I made a salad for lunch with the rest of the chicken from last night and some of the ruby grapefruit. Oh my goodness, I love those grapefruit!! I have never tried them before but they are amazing. I hope it is not just because they are locally grown as I have a feeling I may be purchasing some from the shops when these run out.

I hope you all have a lovely day. Thinking of you Lindsay and glad you are all good Suz šŸ™‚

I’m going now to write my list.
    Take care x

I love reading all your posts, and again thank you for your good wishes, as does Mr L. I look forward to the time when I can respond to all your interesting things, instead of being so self-absorbed. Take care all – hopefully some good news soon, and then I’ll be back as a full, participating member.

Lindsay, you’re not being self-absorbed. We’re with you. I appreciate the pop-ins to keep us up to date on Mr L.

Anzac, thanks for the gorillas and the lovely account! Not jealous at all. Friends of ours have been on that trek and told us all about it. I have heard about the rapidly increasing price. It was $700 when we first started looking. As you say, there are cheaper options such as in Uganda.

I still dislike clothes shopping even though I am now size 10. But, last week, I was successful in finding a dress for DD’s graduation dinner. She’d shown me the photos from last year’s event so I could get an idea of what parents were wearing. OMG! I could have pulled something out of the closet and been fine. Visible panty lines, bulging stomachs in tight ball dresses, enormous cleavages (one of my pet hates for people my age) and way to many bingo wings.

I decided I would try and be a bit more classy yet find a dress I could wear again. So happy to find a Wayne Cooper frill and pleat dress in a 40% off sale. It fit perfectly and the sales assistant promised me I wouldn’t be mutton dressed up as lamb. Well, she would say that. I will get a black bolero cardigan to hide my bingo wings. I couldn’t believe that my wedding bustier fits again (who knows why I’d kept it all these years) so I’m spared the $60 for a strapless bra. Now I just need a pair of Lindsay’s or Quacka’s shoes. Dress met with approval from both DD and OH so I’m happy. DD remarked, “Mum, you do realise that this is MY graduation, right?”! She has no time to shop.

Anzac, I like your list. I wish we lived closer so I could meet you for a coffee and a good chat!

Quacka, would you possibly be able to post a photo of the packet of that konjac meal you mentioned? is it from the Slendier range?

Run out of time (rambling on about the dress purchase) so will have to return later. Hello LJ, Cinque, califD, Arel, Suz, Punks, Merry, et al.

* s/b “Too many”, sorry!

As requested thin šŸ™‚

Can we see a pic of the dress, can we, can we?? lol

Lindsay you are not self absorbed at all. You are being there for your OH in a difficult time and hopefully we can go a little way to being here for you. Still praying for you x

Thanks for the noodle link, Quacka. Are they available in the major grocery stores? I like making my own FD meals as it helps me ‘normalise’ them but I also like the idea of known calories in something like this or CalifD’s salmon in a tin for times when I’m not at home.

Here is the dress, you have to zoom in on the photo to see the pleats at the bottom. As a non-shopper, I thought it was a lot of money for a dress until I remembered your race day expenditure! https://www.myer.com.au/p/wayne-cooper-purple-daze-print-frill-and-pleat-dress

One of my favourites from this website is, “Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels”.

Cinque, you are getting a lot of GD time, how wonderful. Who’d have thought you could add rhubarb to a savoury dish?

Suz, good to know there’s a downward trend. That’s all you need.

Visited our tax accountant this morning and she has lost 9kgs on 5:2. Earlier in the year, she’d emailed me to ask for ‘the name of that diet’ that I do. She loves it and looks good. And the lady I introduced to 5:2 at bridge is down a size since she started and also very happy.

CalifD, you and Crickets are having fun op shopping. Happy Birthday (belated) to her. Sorry you had a weekend blowout. Is a weekend FD an option or is that too restrictive for you and the OFMs? Maybe your weekend eating was due to DS’s birthday celebrations so it’s just a one-off.

The other day there was some talk of doughy desserts here which I tried to ignore but it reminded that I had a tin of Gulab Jamun in the pantry. No idea why I bought it. But it needed to get out of the pantry and I opened it last night after a vegetarian dinner because OH still looked hungry. It is so sweet. And yet, I managed to stuff four down before I realised what a dumb idea it was.

As much as I love this WOL and intend to continue until they carry me out in a box, I do often wonder why I can’t just eat normally every day. Is the promise of being able to eat whatever we want MOST of the time too much of a licence to overeat? And, if so, does it matter? Like you, CalifD, and LJ and probably others in maintenance, I use it to counter my over indulgences. Is what we’re doing some kind of eating disorder in itself? Despite my bad choice last night, I’m at 59.6kgs so I’m definitely not complaining but just wondering …. and doubting … and thinking ….

8:30pm Tues, Adelaide

Quacka, I’ve seen the konjac ready meals at Foodland and IGA supermarkets here but not Coles or Woolies. I might need to have a better look.

Thin, That’s a very pretty dress and I think a short bolero style jacket with it will be perfect.
    OMG I didn’t know you could buy Gulab Jamun in a tin. It is my absolute favourite Indian dessert. I don’t think I’ve ever been to an Indian restaurant and not ordered it. I tried to make it once using powdered milk and it didn’t go well! My little milk balls fell to pieces when I fried them in the ghee. I have since seen an alternative which uses fresh paneer cheese for the balls, which looks much easier. I might get around to making it one day. Or I might happen to see some tinned on the supermarket shelf – now that I know to look out for them!
    Thin, the FDs do help balance out any overindulgence and definitely help me keep my weight stable.
    What has me perplexed is that as soon as I decided I wanted to drop a couple of kilos by the end of November, my NFD eating has been more erratic. On some level I seem to be fighting the idea of using my FDs to lose weight rather than continuing with maintenance.

12:30 pm Tuesday California

Thin and LJoyce, Iā€™ve only ever had Gulab Jamun in Indian restaurants but you can indeed buy them in a tin. You can buy them in tins in the US on Amazon and in a mix on the Aussie Amazon site. LJ, hereā€™s what the tin looks like for one of the brands:
    https://www.amazon.com/Haldirams-Classic-Indian-Gulab-Jamun/dp/6548525868/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1540925892&sr=1-4&keywords=Gulab+Jamun

Thin, the weekend blowout was because of DSā€™s Birthday for the most part. Too much sushi after op shopping and shoe shopping for her. Then dinner at a favorite Italian restaurant in the evening with the 3 of us. And we didnā€™t forgo Saturday movie and pizza night in anticipation of Sundayā€™s eating. I was 60.1 this morning after yesterdayā€™s FD.

LJ, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the colder weather or what, but my NFD eating seems more erratic since I decided to lose a kilo or two just like you. It seems like it should be a simple thing since itā€™s only a couple of kilos, but Iā€™m fighting it on some level too. On the other hand, I donā€™t want my weight to slowly creep up. Iā€™m more often in the 60ā€™s than the 59ā€™s lately.

Lindsay, thank you for checking in. Thinking of you and OH and hoping he will be seeing some progress soon.

Cinque, hooray for Miss 4 for sleeping all night at your place! I hope you gave her lots of praise and reinforcement. Sheā€™s likely growing out of the old erratic sleep patterns. It will be so much easier for her to sleep over when she sleeps through the night.

Thin, I love your new dress. Itā€™s a versatile stile that youā€™ll be able to wear for a lot of occasions, so worth the money I think. When is DDā€™s graduation party?

Hi Anzac. You should be waking up soon.

Quacka, congrats on being able to wear the jeans and shorts that you bought in anticipation of weight loss. Now itā€™s time to buy some that are even smaller, which youā€™ll be wearing soon.

Good morning all and good afternoon Cali

Thin, that dress is gorgeous. So feminine and lovely. I don’t know if you ever post pictures of yourself but I’d love to see you in it? Re your comments about why we can’t eat normally every day – I don’t have an answer but it is a very good question. I guess everyone is different, everyone considers ‘normal eating’ differently and our bodies react to food differently. Some people are ‘meh’ about food but others, like me and I suspect most people on this forum, just love food. I am a true foodie and love fresh healthy food as well as not-so-healthy but tasty food (sometimes). So I have to counter my eating carefully and 5:2, to me, is a perfect way to do that. Personally if I overindulge in something I don’t want to feel guilty but to be able to easily balance instead.

Quacka, I have lots of clothes, many brand new, that are too small and are just patiently waiting in the cupboard for me to lose weight. How wonderful that you were able to wear the jeans and shorts you bought in anticipation. You have inspired me to get something nice out on the weekend and display it somewhere as more motivation

Your weekend sounded lovely Cali, and I’m sure your DS enjoyed her birthday immensely. Don’t worry about the blowout, you will soon be back in the 59’s again.

Lindsay please, please don’t think that you are self-absorbed. You are going through an awful time and we are so glad to be here so you can vent and cry on our shoulders. Mine, for one, are very broad! šŸ™‚

Cinque, how lovely that you are getting lots of lovely GD time. My sister recently became a grandmother for the first time and has been hanging out for one for about 10 years! My little great-niece is gorgeous and we all love her to bits. Sadly I don’t get to see her often as they live in the Blue Mountains and we can’t get up there too often.

LJoyce, I didn’t know you had abdominal surgery. I hope you are almost fully recovered? I really like your idea of an evening food curfew to stop the mindless munching whilst watching tv. Thanks for your encouragement about my almost non FD. I’m so glad I didn’t abandon it as it will make today’s FD easier

So as mentioned, FD today and it WILL be a good one. The best one so far. I have my list of mantras and I included a very unflattering picture of me on our recent trip to Vanuatu. Ugh. My desk is motivation central :):):)

Good morning from cool grey Melbourne, getting its strength up ready for a burst of heat tomorrow.

I have a short time to write as I am going up to visit my friend in central Victoria again, such a pity as I am longing to do one of my mammoth posts and reply to everyone.

But needs must! Dot points.

Thin, I love that dress!

Anzac, a good list of Fast Day mantras.

Lindsay, not sure whether to say with the others that you are not being self-absorbed, or to say OF COURSE you are being self-absorbed, you have to be, and keep being it for as long as it takes.
    Just know we are keen to hear updates, even when they are disappointing. Can’t light a candle this morning, but I will when I get home again. Surely candle light will start helping eventually!

Happy Halloween for when you wake up Cali, and right now for everyone else celebrating it.

Boo!

Anzac, it is very hard when your grandchildren (or great-nieces) are far away (mine was in Sydney at first). I am so glad to have them close now.

Today is my Fast Day which is good because, in spite of sleeping through the night, I was exhausted when my granddaughter went home and oops, there were cashews. I can’t believe how many I ate. Thank goodness for fast days for a digestive rest and reset.

Hope your day is a good one. šŸ™‚

Cinque today is my first official FD. So we can FD together šŸ™‚

Anzac my family is 2,000kms away from me, I don’t see them very often unless they come to Melbourne. I’m going back there for giftmas for the first time in 5 years. I’ve got new grand nieces & nephews to meet, and other grand nieces to see since I’ve not seen them since they were babies.

Happy Beltane all (since we’re in the Southern Hemisphere & the Wheel of the Year is opposite to the Northern Hemisphere). I will be doing a ritual tonight when I get home. I got up early today to watch the sunrise and meditate.

Hello Wednesday fasters! Cinque, Anzac, Punks, me – and you Quacka? Great, we will sail through the day together. And it’s a perfect day to hold a FD as we won’t be able to eat any Halloween nasties.

Thanks all for your kind comments about the dress. Yes, my friend urged me to choose something that I could get some future use from. Anzac, what do you mean? That IS me in the pictures! The graduation dinner is on 21 December, CalifD. That’s the day they finish final exams.

Cinque, you seem to be doing so much these days. Is your condition finally allowing you accomplish more?

Anzac, LJ thanks for adding your thoughts on this WOL. It works so I must content myself with that and stop questioning it. CalifD, good job getting those weekend kgs off so quickly! Careful with the Halloween candy!

LJ, a caution about the Gulab Jamon! Mine came in a tin of 16 balls similar to what CalifD posted with instructions to consume them all on the same day the tin is opened! Bad enough for three of us but deadly if you’re living alone.

Good Morning everyone

I read your post earlier this morning thin but I wanted to take the time to think about what I was going to write. Anzac has made many of the points I was going to make and I totally agree with her.

The main point I wanted to make is what is “normal eating”? It is different for everyone and so who is to say that the way you eat, even on a NFD is not normal?? Even the dieticians and nutritionists can’t agree on what is normal or even what is healthy.

For me “normal” eating is about eating fresh, healthy foods and sometimes having something that is not so healthy (sometimes it is still quite healthy but just not low calorie).

I don’t think what we are doing is an eating disorder. I think it is taking control of the situation because we like to be thinner or healthier than we have found ourselves to be. For those of you maintaining, you do this because you don’t want to end up back there where you were unhealthy or bigger than you liked to be. For those of us trying to lose weight, we are doing it because we are unhappy with where we are (or were).

You ask is it a license to overeat because we can eat what we want most of the time. Do you overeat often? I highly doubt it. Sometimes the choices may not be the best, but overeating all the time? No

One more thing. This is also for you Cali and LJ as well and other maintainers. Your body may be happier at 60kg rather than 58 or 59kg. As long as you are happy then don’t let it get to you. It is a couple of kgs. If you are unhappy or your weight keeps creeping up then you know what to do.

Ok enough of my rave šŸ˜‰

thin, I love the dress. I found the konjac noodle meals is Coles. They were on a special introductory price when I bought them and I haven’t seen them since.

Anzac, you will be able to wear those clothes soon and when you can, you will feel so amazing. I loved pulling my stored away small clothes out of the wardrobe and being able to fit into them. I don’t have many that I kept but there are just a few faves. I have one of those red and blue striped bags full of bigger clothes, that don’t fit anymore, ready to give to Vinnies. I sorted them out a couple of months ago and they have been sitting in the corner of my bedroom ever since. I am now ready to give them away. It is going to happen tomorrow or Friday and I think I will be adding a few more to it.

Anzac and Cinque I am with you on a FD today. I am super positive about it and glad you are too Anzac. We WILL do this šŸ™‚

Weight this morning was same as yesterday which was day after FD. Yesterday was a NFD and it was probably not that great a NFD. I didn’t overeat but I did have something else that is considered by some as food but is actually a liquid…..
    It’s my choice so I am not complaining.

I have been doing some intermittent running when I am out walking. First day of it yesterday and today I did it again. I had sore muscles and now they are even sorer!!
    I am mentioning this because I am amazed at how much easier it is for me to run now I am lighter.

OK its taken me almost an hour to write this.

One last thing, thin. I too often wonder and doubt and think about things ( I over think it). We have found what works for us and for that I am forever grateful.

Happy day all šŸ™‚

x

Oops took so long two more posts came in

All the best to thin and Punks as well for your FD šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

Good morning all. And it truly is a good morning. My OH woke yesterday feeling his sight had improved marginally. He had a very blurry image out of a corner of one eye. Not much, but better than nothing. The surgeon confirmed his pressure had gone up one point. Again, not much, but enough to postpone the surgery for this week, in the hope that the natural healing processes are kicking in. We will go back Friday to see if, as the surgeon hopes, we are turning a corner. He warned though that it may be necessary to operate again, if there’s no more movement, and we don’t know what damage there has been to the optic nerve. But, for the moment, we are taking hope, without getting our hopes too high. Our kids have taken it very hard – I find it very distressing to see them so worried – this has gone on since September. Your good wishes have been very comforting in this terrible time.
    Cinque have a great day today. Terrific your little one slept through, althoughI am sorry it’s taken its toll. They can be exhausting – more so when you are managing your energy levels, which I think you do so brilliantly.
    Thin, that dress is gorgeous. I love the neck detail and how it is cut over the shoulders at the back. I laughed at your description of the attendees at a previous graduation. I’m with you on too much cleavage, at any age! My OH always says, from a man’s point of view, that hints are better than out and out displays.
    I was interested too in your musings about our eating patterns. I have no answers, but agree that some people seem to be able to balance their day to day eating and stay a constant weight. But then there’s my very very slim friend, who you might say has no issues with food – until we go to lunch and she won’t order anything at all, which really puts a dampener on things. I like the European attitude (think Spain, Italy) where people celebrate food and the opportunities to share meals and good company.
    I also think 5:2 and intermittent fasting is so good for our health, not just our weight. My latest blood tests had my Hba1c at 5.3, and ideal cholesterol readings including higher than ever ‘good’ cholesterol, even after our 3 week Bali trip. This is new for me, and can only be put down to IF.
    Quacka, congratulations on getting into those clothes. Anzac, like you, I have plenty sitting in my cupboards, bought with the idea that one day I’d fit them. Also others that did fit, but I didn’t look good in. We are an odd bunch, chronic dieters. My slim OH could never understand why I would buy something that was too small. And I can’t answer that either.
    A big hello to all I’ve missed – And hope all of you are enjoying your Wednesday (or is it still Tuesday Calif?), where ever you are.

10am, Wen, Adelaide

Cali, thanks for the pic. The description puts me off as it says the syrup is cardamon flavoured – for me it absolutely has to be rosewater flavour.

Thin, 16 at once? I don’t think even I could manage that, they are too sweet.
    You dress looks like a floaty fabric that might do well on the dance floor. Do you think you could convince Mr Thin to take you dancing?

Cinque, enjoy your visit.

Anzac, you will have a very good FD today. You have planned and you have mentally prepared. I have full confidence in you.

Punks, I hope your first FD goes very well. You too have planned well, so I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Lindsay, thanks for keeping us updated. Hope the next procedure helps.

Quacka, I agree with your assessment. For me 5:2 does mean the difference between maintaining or gaining. I really struggled to maintain my weight loss before I found 5:2.

NFD for me today. Hopefully one with a little more restraint than I showed yesterday. I feel in a better frame of mind today, so I’m not expecting trouble. Looking back over my food diary I have noticed three things that connect to the NFDs where I over eat:
    – I’ve mentioned this before, but a sleepless night almost always results in a NFD where I eat too much.
    – NFD where I overeat almost always occur immediately following a FD and are rarely the second or third NFD in a row.
    – The only exception seems to be NFDs which involve a social occasion involving lots of food. But these are the ones I worry about least as they are planned.

I’ve also been thinking about why I seem to be fighting my decision to lose another couple of kilos. I think it’s because I’m questioning everything I eat on NFDs and I’m trying to stay near my TDEE. It’s making me feel like I’m on a diet every day and normally I don’t feel like that with maintenance 5:2. I’m not sure what to do about this. I might need to just return to my usual eating pattern and focus a little more on the “good food” that Quacka described. Let my body find its own level and be content with that.

For those of you who have a pile of clothing with the tags still on. You will fit into it and then you may also enjoy finding someone else’s unworn donations in op shops. About a third of the clothing I buy at op shops still has its tags on. Clearly there are many of us who buy things in the hope that we’ll lose weight. Because most people donate clothing as they gain weight there is so much to choose from in the smaller sizes. It’s a shopping expedition I always enjoy because I find things I like that fit and it’s not a big financial commitment.

I’m heading out to look at fridges now before the day gets any hotter.

I hope all the fasters have an excellent day.

Lindsay, our posts crossed. So pleased to hear that things have improved, even if it’s only slightly. I really hope this continues.

Just a quick check-in to say FD is going brilliantly! The power of the mind just boggles. It’s nearly lunch time and I am not struggling at all – and the only difference is the little voice previously saying ‘if you get REALLY hungry you’d better eat a few crackers’ and instead it now says all those things on the mantra list

Lindsay – so so glad there is some hope. Surely the collective power of positivity on this forum will help somehow

Hope your FD’s are going just as well Cinque, thin, punks and Quacka (sorry if I missed someone)

damn it!!! Lunchbox at home (thought I’d grabbed the bag it was in and put it in my handbag – seems I brought Lego to work instead *lol*), so I’ve been scouring the websites of the food places near work that I can race out and grab something and still be in the range I set myself for lunch today. I’ve got back-to-back meetings with 15 mins break at midday, otherwise I would jump on a tram into the center of the CBD and go to the supermarket & get food.

Sending you strength Lindsay, for you and your family.

I’m so grateful for the above posts Quacka, LJ and Lindsay. I’ve read them twice. Thank you all for putting everything back into perspective. FD going well on this side of the continent too thanks Anzac; it’s a very busy day and I’ve just taken a break to make a peppermint tea and read the posts. You are all brilliant. Fabulous news Lindsay – a wonderful glimmer of hope.

P.S. How annoying Punks, could you just build something with the lego instead?

thin – it is the Yellow Submarine set.

I had a naked burrito with no rice or beans. I’m full now. It still gives me about 200 cals for when I get home tonight.

Punks, I’m still giggling about that lego! Glad you found a ready made alternative lunch. It might be worth finding a prepackaged option to keep in the drawer at work for emergencies (eg the little tin of salmon that Cali uses on FDs).
    I used to work in the CBD and we had fruit vendors nearby, so my go to item on a diet day was a punnet of strawberries – only 65 calories for the whole 250g punnet and it takes a while to eat that much fruit. Also one of the lowest sugar fruits so it won’t cause the sort of insulin spike (and hunger) that some other fruits will.

Despite the lego dilemma, I’m glad to hear that all the FDs are going well.

My shopping trip to look at fridges was well worth it. I wasn’t confident about making a decision by solely looking online. I could really see the differences in quality and functionality by opening all the doors and drawers. I’ve decided it’s worth buying one of the better made brands, but not worth paying extra for a french door model – the single door version has more door storage for $3-400 less. I’ve found that in the size fridge I need, most manufacturers skimp on the freezer and try to make the fridge area larger – not what I need. I want a larger freezer which really reduces my options. I’m happy with the one I’ve decided on. The shop that has it in stock goes on sale for 2 weeks starting tomorrow, so I need to get my current freezer emptied quickly.

Quacka, I have read your post 3 times now. Thank you. By eating ‘normally’, I think I meant eating without gaining weight on a day to day basis. But you’re quite right, if I choose the feast and famine method and it works, it’s normal for me. And you’re also right in that I don’t over eat all that often, especially compared to before 5:2. I’ve often said that I’m still the same person I always was wrt food and that’s not likely to change. What’s changed is that I now have the tools to deal with it. So, yes, all is well.

I’m pleased that you’re feeling ready to give those clothes away. It’s quite liberating. Isn’t it great when our weight doesn’t increase after NFD? I bet that intermittent running feels good. Do you ever surf with your OH?

Lindsay, I think you’re right too. I like to think that there are health benefits to fasting and that weight loss is just a very pleasant side effect. I do enjoy the discipline that fasting requires. I, too, had a very skinny friend who I never saw put anything in her mouth in 20 years (except coffee). She’d always leave the teeny morsel of shortbread biscuit in the saucer when we went out for coffee. I always wanted to reach over and grab it. Even on my surprise 50th birthday which was a catered dinner, she announced that she’d ‘already eaten’. Likely story. So excited for your OH.

LJ, my Gulab Jamon were cardamom flavoured but I like that flavour. DD said that’s how they were flavoured in the part of India she visited earlier this year. Thanks for your comments on the dress. I think OH has danced with me twice. Once was at our wedding. I can’t remember the other time but it was fairly recently and I think I might have mentioned it here. Perhaps you (and we) just need to let your (our) weight settle where it settles as Quacka suggests and not worry about it. What do you think, CalifD? Glad that you have found a new fridge that you like.

Punks, pleased the burrito hasn’t blown the calorie bank.

Anzac, great that your FD is going so well. I have spent mine cleaning and taking cares of chores. Now it’s soup time.

Punks, I like thinā€™s suggestion of building the yellow submarine for lunch instead. šŸ˜ But the naked burrito sounds like a good choice.

Anzac, your comment, ā€œif you get REALLY hungry youā€™d better eat a few crackers..ā€
    I donā€™t think we get REALLY hungry in a single day. I propose that what weā€™re feeling is more like habit or want or boredom or fear of being hungry. It could also be a craving of food. But I think it takes longer than a day to experience real hunger. I think it could also be thirst. Or sometimes the lack of salt seems to play a part in making us feel a headache or weakness. Thatā€™s just my opinion, but after doing the 5:2 for about a year and a half, I think a fear of hunger is much more likely.

Iā€™m also not sure my body has a weight it wants to be, but rather an amount that I like to eat. And that can be changed. The 5:2 changed it for me, at least for the 2 FD. My knees certainly like the weight loss. I used to feel knee pain going up the stairs before I lost weight. Now, even a kg or two makes a difference in joint pain. My BP has also been a little more irregular in the last week or so, and I wonder if that is because of the increased eating? I think that muscle aches and pains would likely improve greatly if I could get down about 3 kg. But I donā€™t want to add another FD, so itā€™s back to managing the NFDs better. Rather than counting calories on NFD I suspect that eating all whole unprocessed foods would make a big difference, simply because of the bulk and fiber of them.

Lindsay, Iā€™m so glad to hear that there is a little progress on OHā€™s vision. Was he able to have any procedure this last week? Or is he just waiting for the last to heal? I will light a candle here too.

Cinque, that recipe for the Persian lamb/beef and rhubarb looks really good. Itā€™s an unlikely combination, but one that Iā€™m almost sure I will like, just from reading it.

LJ, eating 16 of those Gulab Jamun at once would probaby be too many even for me, too. But given all the sugar in them, and the syrup, I donā€™t why they wouldnā€™t keep for several days in an airtight plastic container in the frig. I guess it would be something to serve for several guests so they all get used.

Thin, it sounds like your very skinny friend has an eating disorder. It doesnā€™t sound like normal dieting behavior. 5:2 may be like feast and famine once we get to maintenance, but isnā€™t that the way our long ago ancestors ate? The fact that 5:2 works so well isnā€™t entirely logical to me, but it does work. And it seems to work over a variety of age groups and food choices. So who are we to argue? We found a good thing! And the support we provide each other here is a big part of it.

thin : ) šŸ™‚ you are very welcome. I have so much more to say but I donā€™t want to ramble on.

Cali, I think it is a great idea to eat whole unprocessed foods for your NFDs. Just donā€™t forget it is ok to have ā€˜treatsā€™ every now and again. I really hate calling them treats because we are not dogs, we donā€™t need a treat to reward us for good behaviour. NFDs are not a reward for successful FDs.
    Ummm, maybe I will stick with the ā€˜sometimesā€™ foods as my reference. So itā€™s ok to have sometimes foods……sometimes lol

One thing I have learned is to try and eat similar foods on NFD as I eat on FD. I have always eaten protein and vegetables as my FD meal (do konjac noodles count as a veggie?)
    The main difference with the two is that I can eat more on NFDs. Iā€™m not perfect, I stuff up often but main thing is to just keep at it. Look forward not back.

thin, I have tried surfing but I am totally hopeless. I have these silly fears of being dragged out to sea even though I know I can float on my surfboard and I will be safe. OH bought me a big learning foam board and seriously, I reckon I could float to NZ on it! Maybe I will try again this summer, who knows. The surfing that is, not the floating to NZ!

Lindsay, glad there is some improvement and hereā€™s hoping for more each day.

Punks, well done on sticking to FD

LJ, great you found a fridge you like.

Anzac, hope your FD is going well.

My FD is now over and itā€™s been successful. Yay!!
    OH even had a beer before dinner, and I wonā€™t lie and say I wasnā€™t tempted, but I didnā€™t have any.
    We had steak, asparagus and a cauliflower rice fried rice I made up. Have I mentioned how much I love cauliflower rice? Itā€™s the best.

Well Iā€™m still on FD so itā€™s not really over I guess, but I have had dinner and that is it for me for tonight.

Stay strong x

CalifD, I thought that friend had anorexia when I first met her. But, after several years of exhibiting that food behaviour, she would surely have been dead if that had been the case. Then again, there are so many variations on eating disorders that perhaps something else was going on behind closed doors. I lost touch with her about four years ago and don’t know how she is now – but she was always way too skinny and constantly working out.

Quacka, I can’t believe you didn’t mention sharks as a reason for not going surfing. If you want to ramble on, I will be happy to read it. Good job resisting the beer and enjoying a successful FD. I’m looking forward to three days of sensible eating and a bit of nut snacking. It’s almost dinner time for me – another freezer portion of something I made in colder weather but it will be good.

9:50pm Wen, Adelaide
    Unbelievably it’s still 26C and humid. This is a rude awakening to the differences between living here and the hills – it’s always cool there at night regardless of day time heat. I had to resort to the air-conditioner an hour ago. It’s cooled the bedroom down so I can hopefully get to sleep.

Cali, I feel ashamed that I didn’t prepare for halloween. I had costumed children at the door seeking lollies earlier this evening and I had nothing in the house that was suitable to give them. Another change from living in the hills – you don’t trick or treaters up there. I’ll have to prepare next year.

Quacka, I also found your rational explanation very useful.
    Well done on the successful FD.
    Yes konjac noodles are a vegetable. I did a really strict VLCD diet a few years ago. The first 3 months was 3 meal replacement products per day plus 2-4 cups of low calorie veg – the dietitians advised that we could have konjac noodles as part of the veggie allowance.
    I agree with “sometimes foods”, I think of them as “occasional foods”, which is the same thing. I do sometimes need to remind myself that occasional doesn’t mean 2-3 times a week!

Thin, I like cardamon too, but I always associate gulab jamun wither either rosewater or orange flower water flavour. Nothing else feels right. I’m not going looking for tins of them – not something I need in my cupboard.
    Glad to hear I’m not the only one who wants to eat other people’s biscuits when they leave them on their saucer šŸ™‚

Punks and Anzac, I hope your FDs went well.

My NFD was very “normal” and involved no overeating which is a relief. I’m fasting tomorrow. I had half a serve of the nigerian red bean stew tonight with a jacket potato and some boiled silverbeet. I saved a big mound of the silverbeet and the other half of the bean stew for my FD dinner tomorrow. I don’t actually know the calories, but it should be fine.

I’m going to have to start finding zucchini recipes very soon, Now that they are being fertilised, they are taking over the garden! I watched an Italian chef of SBS make pesto tonight and it made me think I could use the basil and other herbs in the veggie patch to make a pesto to have with spiralised zucchini.

Poking my head into the ‘river’ of posts…

Thin I love your new dress! What a perfect and sophisticated reflection of spring and I love the diagonal cut, particularly how the top is cut in an opposite diagonal to the hemline. I also really like the under netting softness that is a flurry of fun around the hemline. I can see you getting a lot of wear out of the dress since it could be worn both formally as well as for a more casual outing!

Also, I feel remiss for not remembering who posted the wedding photo a few pages back! I love wedding photos and was lovely to see such a passionate kiss between bride and groom and again, I also love dresses and so admired the bridal gown! …Such a handsome couple too!

Interesting to view the Gulabs. They look enticing. Cardamom is a favorite flavor of mine.

I was reading a recent interview with Dr M. He said that though he still practices 5:2 (or actually I’m pretty sure that he pulls off 6:1), that none of his family are practicing intermittent fasting! He says none of them need to because they all take after his wife who naturally eats sensibly. I love how human Dr. Mosely is! Maybe I’ve posted these quotes previously so apologies to anyone who has already read them. I just see them as classics and good reminders, and since I need to be reminded, I’m posting them again…

Dr. M says, ‘I have a confession to make. I am addicted to chocolate. I have tried giving it up many times, and failed. My daughter has never forgiven me for eating her Easter egg when she was just eight years old.

The trouble is, it was lying there on the kitchen table, already open, calling to me. I thought I would just take a small nibble, and she would never notice. Then I took another, bigger nibble. Then the egg was gone and I was caught with chocolate-y smears around my mouth. I felt guilty. I was guilty.’

He also gives me hope that there is light at the end of my own addictive tunnel.

Dr. M says the hardest part in conquering a craving is the first little while, thanks to the microbes in your gut.

Dr. M says “Some [microbes] thrive on sugar, others love fat. The more sugar you feed the sugar eaters, the more they want,” he writes in The Clever Guts Diet.

“They are not like a friendly dog, hanging around waiting gratefully for whatever comes their way. They are fighting for life. They will do anything to give themselves the edge.

“All you have to do (and I don’t underestimate how tough this can be) is keep away from the thing you crave and hopefully the cravings will reduce as those microbes die off.”

“I think thereā€™s pretty good evidence some of those cravings are driven by the bacteria in your gut, the microbes in your gut, that basically like the stuff.

Junky food is more likely to produce a biome that wants more junky food. And we know that a lot of processed food have emulsifiers in them, and some emulsifiers seem to be pretty damn bad for your gut bacteria.

“So one way of countering that is kind of starving them out a bit.”

The above Dr. M quotes are from these web links:

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/05/30/michael-mosleys-plan-killing-your-cravings

and

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/05/30/michael-mosleys-plan-killing-your-cravings

Cheers!

Minka, good to see you again! Iā€™ve missed your posts.

Thank you for posting the Dr. M quotes and comments. I hadnā€™t seen any of them before. The chocolate Easter egg one made me laugh. My rationale for eating the whole thing after a few bites were missing would have been to destroy the evidence. A couple big chunks missing would certainly be noticed, but thereā€™s always the chance that the egg would be forgotten if there was nothing left. šŸ˜

The gut biome thing makes sense. Iā€™ve always attributed it to some part of my brain, but my stomach is definitely involved when it comes to satiety. Keeping foods that trigger eating out of sight or out of the house is a good strategy. I can hide chocolate and often do ok, but not ice cream. Maybe itā€™s because there arenā€™t a lot of places to hide ice cream and itā€™s always in the same place?

Thin, your friend still could have been anorexic. I think it takes a long time to kill some people. And itā€™s often combined with other eating disorders like bulimia. Itā€™s hard for me to understand how a person could be so adverse to eating. Iā€™ve known obsessive dieters but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever met anyone with anorexia. I guess it can be hidden though. But never eating anything in public would make me strongly suspicious. Itā€™s a very scary disorder. I guess itā€™s a good thing that I love eating and donā€™t particularly like working out. šŸ˜

LJ, Iā€™m glad you found a frig you like and glad itā€™s on sale. I agree about needing to examine refrigerators in person rather than just looking at them online. Itā€™s not something you can easily send back if you donā€™t like it.

Quacka, I could never cut occasional foods out completely and I wouldnā€™t want to. I need to make some things occasional because they can easily become obsessive. I want to be thin, but donā€™t want to destroy the joy of eating.

Halloween today and only 2 small bags of candy. DS and I each bought one. Last year we didnā€™t have any trick or treaters. We seldom have more than a couple. Like your old neighborhood in Adelaide Hills, LJ, too many hills here and no street lights. But friends who live just 15 minutes away on flat land have hundreds of kids coming by. Tomorrow I have to put all of the Halloween decorations away in the attic. We always leave the orange lights on the staircase and the plain pumpkins out until the Christmas decorations go up. Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 this year. Here are a couple more pics of the Halloween decorations: https://imgur.com/a/6s94WYb

Good morning, grey and still and the heat is coming.

Punks, have you woken up with the lovely empty, light ‘morning after Fast Day’ feeling?
    I hope so. It feels so good.

Bright Beltane greetings!

Happy morning after Fast Day to you too Thin. My health has been very good! (touch wood and whistle) although today will be a very quiet day in case it all catches up with me and I crash. (But no sign of that yet).

Such interesting talk about normal eating (reminds me of that cartoon where the little girl asks “What’s normal mum?” and the mum says “It’s a setting on the washing machine, dear.”)
    I have always been impressed (and SO relieved) that my daughter just seems to eat when she is hungry and stop when she is full. And her full is more ‘nicely sated’ rather than ‘full to bursting’

But I laughed to myself on our little holiday as being more social and busy I was eating smaller healthier meals and feeling very good, and just when I thought I was eating like my daughter I realised she was making a jam sandwich in between, or grabbing a snickers bar. (mind you, she uses a lot more energy than I do, and is still breastfeeding a bit).

I agree with all the talk about veggies, it seems that the best food advice to almost anyone is simply ‘eat more veggies’.

Lindsay, such good news! All it needs now, is for it to continue. Big flood of good wishes for Mr L today.

I had such a big wooden chest full of clothes I couldn’t fit into! It was such fun, as I lost weight, to try things on and see what I might fit into next! In fact it was my main distraction through those hungry Fast Day afternoons!
    The saddest part was fitting into something I absolutely adored and then losing more weight so I couldn’t wear it any more. The bitter-sweet of 5:2.
    But as I lost weight my tastes changed too. I went through a stage (after years of loose hanging clothes) of wanting everything to be extremely fitted. I’m not so extreme with it now, but I do still love emphasising the bit of shape I now have.

And now, after several years since I started losing weight, I only have clothes I can fit into! Oooh but they are gorgeous ones.

I’m just going to post this and get a cup of coffee and post again. What a lovely relaxed morning!

7:53am Thurs, Adelaide (36C!)
    Good morning all

Despite the heat I had a good sleep, cooling the room off first helped. I’m up early as I’m heading off in a minute to do the grocery shopping before it gets either busy or hot. I have the whole family coming to dinner on Sunday so I need a few things.

Minka, I haven’t seen those quotes before, but the lesson I remember from what I did read on gut health is that there are different gut bugs for different foods and if you don’t feed them regularly they die. I was thinking of it in terms of encouraging those that I want, eg by eating legumes regularly, but obviously the reverse is also true – I can starve the ones I don’t want.

Cali, enjoy halloween. I hope you get at least one costumed child looking for candy.

Cinque, I had the same feeling with a couple of garments that I loved but were too big to wear. I actually kept 2 skirts that I thought I’d be able to cut down to a smaller size – haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Time to check my shopping list again and head to the supermarket.

Have a good day.

Second verse šŸ˜‰

LJoyce, I have wondered about that “Ooh, it will be good to lose just another kilo of weight that is hanging around here” followed by “munch, munch, munch”.
    I am wondering if, in my case, it is a bit like the way Quacka talked about ‘normal’. It isn’t so much undermining myself, as trying to set something rigid when rigidity won’t work. I think I need to be like the old Arlo Guthrie song when he chats a bit and then goes to sing the chorus and says “I just have to wait until it comes around again on the guitar”.
    i.e. I just need to keep on practising all the good things, and then take advantage of an easy time for losing that last little bulgey bit “when it comes around on the guitar”.

I’m excited about your fridge! I want a small fridge with a comparatively big freezer, and they just don’t seem to make them. You can get huge fridges that have about 50% freezer space. As the size of the fridge goes down the proportion of freezer space goes down, and the little fridges only have about 20% freezer space, until they turn into bar fridges and lose the freezer all together.

I am also excited about the zucchini recipes you find. I had three favourites I didn’t get sick of last time I grew them. One was zucchini slice, next was zucchini and meatballs in a curry sauce (although I often made an African style tomato and peanut sauce) and Oh dear! I can’t remember the third one!
    I also have a great, extraordinarily simple, zucchini soup recipe.

Thin, I also think it is likely your skinny friend suffers with an eating disorder, and she is probably still suffering with it. Like other mental health illnesses it tends to be ongoing and even when people have recovered greatly and are managing well, there are still likely to be some symptoms and always the chance of a relapse. I think it is common to manage to eat better at home, social situations are the most problematic.

Cali, I get REALLY hungry on Fast Day! lol. You are right though, I am not going to die of starvation and I am secure in the knowledge I’ve got my big bowl of miso soup coming up, and breakfast the next morning.

That is interesting that your BP being unstable correlates with some increased eating. It will be interesting to work out if that keeps happening. Oh well, eat more veggies! šŸ˜‰

I’m glad you like the sound of the meat stew with rhubarb, the rhubarb mostly melts into the sauce and it is so delicious. My sister is sending me a recipe she has for a rhubarb and chicken dish. I am keen to try it too.

Your Halloween decorations look wonderful! It seems you are having a Halloween this year that will be much easier to recover from than last year’s one! Happy All Hallows day today, to you and Crickets.

Minka, lovely to see your post. Yes that wedding picture of Anzac was just gorgeous! Love the Dr M quotes!

I keep hoping my very sugar free diet will kill off the gut bugs that set off my munchies, but I have been trying that for about 5 years now!

Sigh.

Off to keep trying to remember the other zucchini recipe!

Big shout out to Cate and Rainbow, Arelkade and Sybs if you are still listening in, and always you Intesha, and there are others whose names I am trying to remember, and others who have been gone longer, or shorter, than I am sure of. (blame my CFS brain fog).

Cheers all.

Best wishes everyone.

Sydney, sunny 27

So my FD ended up pretty good, just one rough patch when I got home. I bought some deli chicken breast to have on my roll today and ended up eating a couple of slices before my dinner.

Minka, thanks for your lovely comments on my long-ago wedding pic. I want to get back to the same weight which I think was about 70-73 kilos.

Cinque, I currently wear extremely loose fitting ‘floaty’ clothes and I know they make you look bigger but I can’t stand the thought of wearing fitted clothes. I am going to add that to my mantra list – thank you!

LJoyce I saw on the tv news this morning that it is going to be a stinker in Adelaide today. Keep cool and glad you were able to sleep. It is hitting us tomorrow (38) but luckily I am WFH so we plan on an early dog-walk and swim for him in the river then inside with air-con the rest of the day. OH and I will jump in the pool for a cool-off too

Cali – I’m with you on chocolate vs ice cream. I can take or leave chocolate but just adore ice cream. Its the only sweet thing I really crave. I buy the Peters low-fat-low-sugar version which is probably chemicals in a box but it saves me eating OH’s cornetto’s when I get an ice-cream craving. I also liked your thought that we don’t actually get VERY hungry on an FD as it is just one day. I am going to add that to my ever-growing mantra list šŸ™‚

Quacka well done on your FD and avoiding the beer! You mentioned in an earlier post that you had something considered by some as food but is actually a liquid and I suspect we both have a love of wine? I know it is bad for me but I love it as much as I love good food so while I try very hard to keep it in moderation, I do partake on weekends. Mostly. Yes, sometimes we cave during the week but we are getting better at resisting as we get older

thin, I loved your musings about the fact that we are the same people wrt food but now have the tools to deal with it (or in my case am developing the tools). I don’t want to change; I just want to lose weight and get healthier.

What a shame about your lunch Punks, and too funny that it was lego! but well done for finding a suitable alternative.

Lindsay, hope your OH had a good night and there is some improvement today.

Today is weigh-in day but I didn’t. I am very clogged up so had a dose of phyllium husk this morning and will have another tonight. I really must remember to take it every day

Have a great day all

Good morning everyone

Just a quick post today as I seem to be hogging the forum a bit lately!!

thin, I don’t really think about sharks when I am out there. I do like the water to be nice and clear so I can see what is around me though. Having said that, it is rare you will actually see a shark. My OH says the shark you see is the one that is already attacking you!! I am quite passionate (and so is OH) about protecting them. They are such an important part of the food chain. Also we are going into their territory – they don’t jump out on land and bite us šŸ˜‰

Scales are being stubborn evil things today. So I am just ignoring what they say. I feel good after my FD and I went for my walk/run this morning so I guess they are just a little slow to catch up. It is showing the same weight as I was yesterday. Not to worry.

LJ, I love to make zucchini fritters and also crumbed zucchini fingers. Most recipes will say to fry them both but I always just bake them in the oven with spray oil. If I want to fry the fritters I will spray them with oil, quickly brown them in the pan then transfer to oven carefully. They are quite delicate at this stage as they are not fully cooked yet.

Anyway best go before my short post turns into a long one again. All the best to the fasters and non-fasters alike.

Hope you all have a happy day x

Anzac, just saw your post! Beer is my downfall not wine lol.

Remember to drink lots of water today and hopefully that will help šŸ™‚

All the best x

LJ, one of my favorite ways to have zucchini is so simple, but lots gets eaten when I prepare it this way in our home. I chop up an onion and some garlic and sautĆ© it in a little olive oil and water til itā€™s translucent. Then I slice the zucchini and mince a few slices of red capsicum (Or other red pepper if you like, itā€™s mostly for decoration) and add them to the pan. Cook until they are just al dente and the edges are browned, and season with salt and pepper. I sometimes add basil or tarragon or dill, depending on the mood. Itā€™s so simple, but so good. My other favorite is zucchini bread which may as well be called zucchini cake. šŸ˜Š I donā€™t have a particular recipe, I just look one up on the Internet when I need it.

Quacka, we love people hogging the forum because it makes the rest of us look šŸ‘€ like we arenā€™t. šŸ˜†

Hi again Southern Hemispherites!

Fun scanning posts! It’s my day off work. Yea! Luxury to return here.

Anzac, it was you in the beautiful wedding gown! Do you still have the dress?

Cinque, I loved your analogy to ‘Normal’ and a setting on the washer and dryer! After reading the posts about normal eating, I reflected on my work mates and family members and how that majority of people around must be eating ‘normally’ and they are all overweight! Most around me were snacking on Halloween candy yesterday and last night including workmates and Mr. M! Reflecting on that, I doubt I will ever eat ‘normally’! Halloween candy, yuck!

That said, I admit that I binge and I’m still working on healing that. No one would guess now, since I practice 5:2. In fact at work recently, I mentioned this to a colleague who wondered why I practice 5:2. ‘You don’t need to lose weight!!!’ I then went onto explain a little about my erratic eating. I chuckle because I just don’t think she believed me, or didn’t get it, which is okay. It’s just that reading Thin’s story about her friend, I was reminded about this conversation with my colleague.

I learned a long time ago that dealing with my emotional eating and bingeing ‘head on’ by making myself wrong and disciplining myself never worked, or if so, only temporarily and sometimes just made me want to binge more. The only thing that I’ve found that does work is to do what you said Cinque, which is to continue practicing the good things as often as possible. For me ‘good’ things mean nurturing, caring, mindful ways and being considerate towards myself and this includes seeking support and assistance when needed. Last night this was in the form of ferreting out those Dr. M quotes! I really needed them! In fact last night, in the wake of Halloween, I needed a couple of strategies. Here’s the story about that…

I was writing an email to a friend as I heard Halloween candy wrappers crinkle. Mr. M began opening leftover Halloween Dairy Milk, Cherry Ripe and Picnic mini- bars! I felt an instant urge to visit the refrigerator and fetch a last piece of the only form of chocolate I like, which is organic ultra dark and lightly xylitol sweetened. I didn’t desire what Mr M was eating though simply craved because Mr M began indulging. I didn’t want to feel left out. …Thankfully I was in the middle of the email to my friend and had just read about Dr Mosely’s chocolate addiction because this gave me some support. I didn’t just feel like I was hanging out at the mercy of the craving. I actually said to myself, ‘If I’m going to eat this piece of chocolate, at least I’m going to sit down and eat it by following the mindful eating exercise. (LJ, I remember you mentioning you’ve practiced that exercise too). I realized I was overdo for that exercise. I hadn’t practiced it in weeks! …This is where I sit with the piece of chocolate (or other food) and using all my senses, take 5 to 10 minutes to devour it. So there I sat, unwrapping it slowly and carefully respecting the special item that it truly was. I then looked at it, taking in all its various qualities of darkness waxiness, square shape. After a minute or so of doing that I then spent another couple of minutes smelling it, inhaling the aroma and so on. I then touched it, not enough for it to melt, but to take in the felt sense. Just as I was then about to put it in my mouth, I suddenly realized I didn’t really want it! …Mr M had finished polishing off his bars and all was quiet on that front. I carefully wrapped my square of chocolate back into the pretty paper in which it had originally been given to me and placed it back in the refrigerator. Even now I’m surprised at how relieved and happy I felt as I did so! Somehow this helped put me back in the ‘zone’ which I consider a place of equilibrium and balance with by body and food.

I’m still to write the inulin update. That’s another long story and you’ve all read enough from me for the moment!

Cheers!

Viewing 50 posts - 17,901 through 17,950 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.