Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,914 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  KellyClarkson 4 hours, 13 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,851 through 17,900 (of 28,018 total)

• Maria – relax, no-one’s obsessing over 10gms.

Hi everyone,

Lindsay – so pleased you were assertive, the surgeon got the message, and action is happening. Well done.

Anzac – it’s the long term trend that is important. Our fluid balance is responsive to various factors. Some we’re aware of and sometimes it seems to go up and down when we’re not expecting it too. Usually if we’ve done our 2 FDs and been moderate on nonFDs we’ll have a nett loss over the week. When it stays the same or even goes up a bit it’s usually fluid retention. When this happens we usually have a corresponding bigger drop we didn’t expect later on as the fluid balance goes back to normal.

I meant 100 grams.
    It is absurd to notice such slight changes.

If you would like to join us Maria u are most welcome. I think you may need us considering you feel the need to comment on our posts 🙂 so welcome and all the best to you 🙂

Isn’t this a forum,I am new but aren’t you supposed to comment?lol

Anzac, water retention and misbehaving scales are so common. If the ups and downs are bothersome (and I know they can be) maybe weighing every other day or a couple times per week would be preferable to daily or weekly weighing. I’m an every day weigher but I’ve kind of gotten used to the small increases on some days. I can usually attribute it to a salty meal or just eating more than usual. Keep a graph of your weights. You want to see a downward trend over the month. If you don’t, then you may need to keep track of calories for a week or two to see if there’s something sneaking in that you didn’t realize.

Another early start for me. Weight steady after yesterday’s NFD. CalifD, do we have a time frame to reach our latest goal? Have a great weekend all.

Friday, 9:20am, Melbourne

Happy anniversary Anzac

Cauliflower mash is my downfall I could eat it for every meal. I’ve got a vacuum lock pot set, so I can cook half a head of cauli in about 2 teaspoons of water & then use the stick blender. Rarely put anything into it other than some garlic, salt & pepper and maybe a dob of butter.

Unintentional fasting day yesterday. Had half a kebab at lunchtime and just couldn’t eat any more for the rest of the day. No dressing or cheese, just meat, lettuce, tomato – didn’t have the wrap either.

Flat-out busy day at work today. Been here an hour already and have only managed to knock one thing off my to-do list.

Good morning everyone

I have a day off from work today and I’m on a NFD. Went for my walk this morning and already been grocery shopping, so now it’s cuppa time.

Punks cauliflower mash is delicious. You are doing great if that is your downfall! Lol

Lindsay I’m thinking of you and your OH. Hope all is well.

thin I have about 4 weeks to reach my next goal. I think I can do it. Weight today was 100g down from yesterday after a NFD so I’m happy with that 😉

Anzac, how was your anniversary?

Picked up a whole bag of ruby red grapefruit from a local grower yesterday. He had buckets of them out for free and I actually thought they were lemons when I first saw them. I’m looking up recipes to use them in. Any ideas?

I’m looking forward to the weekend. I hope everyone has a lovely day and a great weekend too.

Any fasters today? Hope it’s a nice easy one for you. X

9:50am Fri, Adelaide
    Good morning SHs

I had another early start for a tradesman who has now repaired a door frame for me.
    Baby sitting went well last night – only one minor tantrum at bath time.
    Yesterday was also a good NFD, despite dinner being a pasta bake that included a jar of cheese sauce. It reminded me why I don’t use those type of processed items myself when I cook. But I do understand why my nephew and his wife find it helpful to have some easy options with their busy family life.

Punks, doesn’t matter if it’s unconventional. Whatever gets you through a FD is fine.

Quacka, most of the uses that I know for grapefruit are desserts – probably not what you want. I also have a family marmalade recipe if you need one. Although I haven’t made one myself, I have eaten salads that contain pink grapefruit segments. It was a nice refreshing flavour. You might want to look for some grapefruit salad options online. I particularly like those that include some fresh mint leaves – it seems to go well with the grapefruit.

Cali, you can grow rhubarb in a pot providing it’s large enough. A minimum 40cm (16in) diameter to start with and you’ll probably need to repot eventually once the plant is mature. Being able to move pots around should allow you keep it alive. Mine has now taken up residence on the back verandah.

Hello, Thin, Lindsay, Cinque, Anzac, Suz, Merry, GDSA, Arel, Cate, Minka, Maria and anyone else I’ve missed.

NFD for me. I get to pick all the baby zucchini with flowers for dinner tonight – over the past 3 days 7 of them have opened their flowers. Cinque I like your idea of dipping the flowers in egg before pan frying. I think I’ll try that as I was going to have eggs with them.

I have a small weight loss target to prepare for Christmas. I’m at the top end of my weight comfort level at present. I want to lose 1.5-2kg by the end of November. I’ll feel better facing the food challenges of December if I do this. Hence my fussing about my NFDs at the moment. I need to move more as well, as it always helps my metabolism is I don’t spend much time sitting down.

I have a couple of hours free then an afternoon of appointments – at least it will keep me out of the fridge!

Have a good day all.

Oh no! I just spent about 20 minutes writing a nice post and it vanished when I hit post! Now I don’t have time to redo 🙁 I will try to later on. So annoyed!

Thanks for the info on the rhubarb, LJoyce. They need part shade, right? It seems when we had them growing back in the Midwest it was always in areas with partial shade. I’ll have to find a nursery that sells small plants. I probably should wait until Spring though.

Thin, my goal will be to get firmly into the 58’s by the end of November. That’s about 1.5 to 2kg, depending on the day. NFDs are my problem. FDs are a lot easier, maybe because I always eat similar things. And 500 calories is precious little to eat!

Lindsay, I hope everything is going well for OH. And hopefully there isn’t any pain this time, or if there is, the give him good drugs.

Quacka, I used to make a salad with alternating sections/slices of grapefruit and avocado. This one has smoked salmon as well. I’ve never made it with salmon but it looks pretty good: http://www.healthybusymom.com/2015/10/grapefruit-avocado-and-smoked-salmon.html

Punks, mashed cauliflower sounds good. I’ve had it riced but never mashed. I think I’ll try it soon. Don’t know why I never got around to preparing it that way.

Today was my Thursday FD. The fasting was easy enough but for some reason I woke up at 4am and couldn’t fall back asleep. And I was up late the night before. I felt blah all day and didn’t accomplish much.

Hope you are all having a nice day. It looks like our temperatures for the next week are very similar to Adelaide and Perth, but the trees that aren’t evergreen are starting to turn color.

Good morning guys!
    It is my first day of fasting.
    I haven’t tried it before and I am VERY hungry.
    Does the hunger go away after some days or will I be starving the whole month:P

Hi everyone, take 2 for posting for me today 🙂

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and well wishes for my anniversary. We had a lovely night, we were going to cook a rack of lamb but decided we didn’t feel like it so went for our all-time favourite of steak and chips and salad! Hubby makes really yummy oven chips; they are thick and chunky and I only need a few to make me feel like I’m having a real treat. we also opened a special bottle of wine that we have had in the ‘wine cellar’ for a number of years. I put wine cellar in inverted commas as it is actually just a rack in the garage 🙂

Maria – the hunger goes away. And FYI, I am neither a troll nor obsessive but simply unhappy that I put on weight this week instead of losing.

Punks, its a bonus that you had an unintentional FD, but I hope you are ok as that is not a lot of food to have on any day. Those grapefruit sound delicious and I really love it so I might have a look when I go shopping tomorrow.

LJoyce, glad babysitting went well. I used to babysit my 2 nieces and nephew and sometimes I wanted to tear my hair out! They are in their 30’s now and the oldest is a Mum herself 🙂 Great kids turned out to be great adults

Quacka, good luck with your 4 week goal and I’m sure you can do it. FD’s on boring days drag endlessly, I agree. At work I tend to either have next to nothing to do or am crazy busy. It makes it so hard if a FD coincides with a low workload day.

Sorry you felt blah yesterday Cali, hope today (Friday your time) is better. The people on the Labrador forum who are in the UK (which is most of them) raved about the Bodyguard and I’d like to watch it but I don’t know much about Netflix. Maybe it will come to Foxtel or free-to-air soon.

thin – congrats about winning bridge and being brave and selling your jeans. Fantastic! Glad your kippers were ok and tasty. I wish I ate seafood as it is so good for you but sadly I can’t stomach it.

Hi Merry, thanks for the advice about weighing and fluid retention. Hope you are having a great day.

Hi also Lindsay, I hope your hubby is ok and the new procedure is successful. I hope you are ok too.

Sorry if I’ve missed anyone…

My second of four NFD’s in a row. I’m working from home which I love as it means no commuting plus I can go on the big morning walk with hubby and Maxx. I try to do 10,000 steps during the week because it forces me out to go for a walk at lunch time instead of sitting at my desk looking at the internet otherwise I don’t get there. On WFH days and weekends I try to do at least 14,000. Today I kept drifting to the fridge but then able to walk away without opening it. This is a first for me so something is going very very right :):):)

Have a great rest of Friday and an awesome weekend everyone

4:47pm Fri, Adelaide

Maria, you do notice the hunger in the beginning, but after you’ve done 2 FDs each week for a while it becomes much less of a problem. I think that’s for a couple of reasons:
    – you get better at planning your 500 calories carefully and use them at the times of day that you are most hungry.
    – you stop being afraid of hunger and realise you just have to get through to tomorrow and you can have normal meals again.

Good luck on the remainder of your first FD.

5:25pm Adelaide

Hello again. Now that I’ve had time for a cuppa I’m ready to give a longer response to those I missed this morning. I just didn’t want to leave Maria hanging on her first fast day.

Cali, yes the rhubarb does need part shade – I’ve put it on a section of verandah where it gets morning sun at the moment, but I’ll need to find a different spot in summer. You are right, the plants are usually available in spring – usally a crown and some short rhubarb stems just sprouting. I’ve taken a photo of the care instruction on my plant for you https://imgur.com/aPPv6Tt

Anzac, glad to hear that you had your favourite meal for your anniversary. I hope the wine was good too. I’m glad you get to do some home based work. In my last few years of work I did half my days as WFH days. So much less stressful.

Quacka, sounds like your day got off to a good start. I hope you really enjoyed your day off. They are are precious.

I have just picked the little zucchinis that will be the basis of my dinner. https://imgur.com/2EGqFOo To give you an idea of scale, they are about 3-5cm in length (not including the flower). The reason some are thinner and darker is because they are two varieties. I’m particularly fond of the pale green “lebanese” zucchini, but I planted some of the normal dark green ones too as they are more prolific producers.

I’m planning a FD tomorrow instead of Sunday. Given the weather is mild I though I might plan a salad for dinner. I haven’t had one for a FD meal since last summer. Hopefully I’ll have plenty of home grown greens as the base.

Have a nice evening everyone.

LJ, very nice looking little squashes with the flowers. They call the lighter ones “gray zucchini” in the stores here. (Even though they aren’t gray.) They don’t get any fresher than straight from the garden! Thank you so much for posting the care instructions for the rhubarb. I will definitely plant some in the spring. It says they’re good for any climate, which is the thing I was wondering about. I’ve never seen them growing in California, but that may just be because not that many people like it. They always seem to combine it with strawberries in pies. I never do. Give it to me straight!

Yesterday’s FD was successful. I went from 60.5 to 59.2. I must retain a lot of water. Now I just need to get it down into the low or mid 58’s and keep it steady. I really do eat quite a bit on a NFDs. Sticking to a 16/8 plan on those days isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. It’s the late night snacking that gets me. FDs are no problem at all usually. Having rules for the other 5 days makes it seem like a diet. I need to adjust my mindset. At any rate, I love the 5:2 plan.

I have been seeing a lot of these big “blanket scarves” on Pinterest and in magazines: https://goo.gl/images/rqcDzz They about 152 x 152 cm and a thin knit. They’re usually made of a very soft acrylic and very inexpensive. I ordered a couple plaid ones online and really like them. They’re thin enough to tie or drape several ways, but warm enough to take the chill off. They can completely change the look of a pair of jeans or skirt and a neutral colored top. Here’s a video from YouTube on different ways to tie them. I’ve only used the first option so far. I guess this is more of a fall/winter kind of thing but could be nice in other patterns for cool summer nights as well. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbmjVIg-UQ

Good morning and happy weekend. It’s a gorgeous day in Sydney – fine, the wind has gone and it is going to get to about 25. It’s 7.00am and Mr Maxx has had me up since 5.30am. Sigh. Letting OH have a sleep in and then he will reciprocate tomorrow

You were all correct about the scales. I’m now down 900g since weigh-in day last Thursday and that’s after two NFD’s! Very happy. I only need to lose another 1.5kg to be back where I was last August (2017) when we went on our epic 25th wedding anniversary trip. That will be a total loss of 9kg including what I lost on Weight Watchers earlier this year. We are planning another big trip to Europe in November next year so I have just over a year to get to my goal weight.

Those scarves look lovely Cali. I love scarves on other people but I am not very creative and never know quite how to drape/wear them. And big congrats on the outcome of your FD. I think my left leg weighs 58kg LOL. I too eat a lot on NFD’s but am making MUCH better choices; avoiding too many carbs and having more fruit and veges and lean protein. I still have treats (otherwise it’s not the 5:2 diet right?) but again keep them to a minimum and that way enjoy them all the more.

I love the sound of your gardens and you would get along so well with my hubby. Those zucchinis sound amazing Quacka. He grows so many nice herbs and veges and spends a lot of time in the garden. It’s his favourite place to be. In summer he spends ages peering into his plants looking for evil caterpillars. It’s quite amusing to watch; he will spot one and give a big ‘AH HA! GOTCHA’ and remove it. Cute.

Have a lovely day everyone 🙂

Oh my gosh, miss 2 days on the forum and you miss SO much! Not even going to try to comment on everything!

Busy week at work since we’re coming toward the end of the academic year, then my Friday off was spent between doing housework and catching episodes of the US version of The Office on Netflix. Lame, but sometimes that’s how my life looks.

Got Dr. M’s book in the mail yesterday, and I plan to start it today — then I’ll likely have heaps of questions for all of you pros.

Until then, cheers to all!

Suz, I LOVED The Office and Steve Carell’s character. I’ve worked in that office, several times. Only the names have been changed. 😁 The Jim & Pam romance kept me hooked for the longest time. And Dwight was completely incorrigible. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGN7bfohms

There are few sitcoms that I like, but that was one of them.

Anzac, pleased that you had a lovely anniversary. And delighted that you’ve dropped that 900gm. I’m also glad that the silly nonsense above didn’t deter you from posting because your contributions bring me a lot of amusement.

Morning LJ, I love rhubarb! But I haven’t had it for years – doesn’t it require huge amounts of sugar to make it edible?

CalifD, I find that wearing a scarf makes being in a cold room a lot more comfortable. I always feel the cold.

Quacka, it’s good that you’re back into walking. It sounds a lovely area.

Lindsay, hope Mr L. has enjoyed some improvement.

Suz, I’m hooked on, ‘Making A Murderer’ on Netflix. I watched the first series in horror at the incompetence of the lawyers and the corruption of the law enforcement and public prosecutor. I was certain of the accuseds’ (is that the correct punctuation, there were two accused?) innocence and that they had been framed. I’m now watching Series 2 and fascinated by the post conviction lawyer (incredible intelligence hidden behind a cake face keeps me intrigued). Please don’t tell me the outcome if you know, CalifD – I know it’s been highly publicised in the US media. I have 5 more episodes. I could do without the soap opera aspects of it (women claiming that they want to marry the accused so they can profit by appearing on national TV, etc) but the legal aspects of it are of great interest to me.

I have another day to my myself as OH took a commercial flight to Qld yesterday and is ferrying a plane back to Perth over the weekend. DD has just left for work. She has sadly handed in her resignation for the middle of December after 7 years of loyal Saturday work there; she’s never missed a day except for an exam, but you can’t really continue as an ‘animal attendant’ when you’re a qualified vet! Off for a walk now and then meeting a friend for coffee.

9:46am Sat, and a lovely Spring day in Adelaide
    Good morning SHs

Cali, when I was working I used scarves a lot – they made a basic business wardrobe stretch to more outfits. In winter I used they type of large scarf in your picture – I had a lovely paisley print in tuquoise and purple. I liked them for the same reason you mentioned. They don’t just dress up an outfit, they provide a layer of warmth. When I used to have to travel for work the scarves were great as I could take a small number of clothes with me, but with scarves I could make it look like I was wearing a different outfit every day.

Anzac, so happy to hear that the scales have finally caught up – they are a bit slow sometimes.

Suz, I hope you enjoy reading DrMs book. I found it gave me a good basis to work from.

Punks, one of the things that many of us have noticed, is that FDs are easier when we are busy as we are distracted from thinking about food. You’ve found that out by accident it seems. Being bored or idle can make a FD difficult.

Cinque, thank you for the idea of cooking the zucchini by dipping the flowers in egg first, it was lovely.

Although I hadn’t planned to stuff the flowers, I actually mixed a little grated parmesan with some fresh thyme leaves and put 1/2 teaspoon into the flowers first. It was very delicious dinner which I had with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. I’ll definitely make that again.
    After picking all those zucchini last night I expected to see just a couple of new flowers blooming this morning, but I found 8 new zucchini flowers when I glanced at the veggie patch – my chin dropped as I wasn’t expecting that. https://imgur.com/zM2vlm7 On closer examination I discovered one of them was a male flower, thankfully. I couldn’t see any ants on the flowers and I am used to them being the vehicle for transferring pollen on zucchini plants. So I got a cotton bud and hand pollinated every zucchini. Hopefully this will work, otherwise I’ll be repeating last night’s dinner in a couple of days – not that that will be a hardship.
    I hope this isn’t an indication of how many zucchini’s I’ll have to deal with daily – I hope my neighbours like them!

I’m going to try a longer walk shortly. I haven’t done anything but shorter walk since I got sick.
    Fasting today, so far I’ve sat day to the tea tray and drunk my way through the pot. It really is a very calming and civilized way to start the day.
    I have taken 2 chicken tenderloins out of the freezer. For dinner I plan to grill these and serve them with a salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber and celery. I should have enough calories spare to drizzle a teaspoon of lemon scented olive oil over the top.

Hope you are all enjoying your Saturday and having a good food day.

Thin – crossed posts again!
    Yes rhubarb does require some sweetening. Although I probably sweeten less than is traditional – definitely less than my mother did.
    I usually use stevia. I also sometimes combine the rhubarb with sweeter fruit like apple or pear or berries so that less sweetening is required. Now that I know of the gut benefits of raw honey I may consider not sweetening it during cooking, but adding a little honey afterward – more calories but a choice I’m comfortable with if I’m careful with portions. I particularly like stewed rhubarb mixed into greek yoghurt as a dessert or snack. It has a nice tart flavour which doesn’t encourage me to keep snacking.

Thin! Thanks for the word about Making of a Murderer! My OH and I watched the first couple episodes and the he balked at watching any more . . . once I’ve gone through The Office, maybe I’ll use that as my Friday-at-home-by-myself diversion!

Cali–glad I’m not the only one! It’s been the Jim/Pam romance that has kept me tied to it, though I also really, really like the Andy Barnard character. And, like you, I find myself thinking of work colleagues in years past . . . .

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Suz, I agree with your OH in some ways because it’s quite drawn out and can be painful watching the boring day to day activities (or lack thereof) of some of the family members. But the legal aspects are riveting. My OH wouldn’t watch something like that either. He prefers to spend his time taking algebra and calculus lectures online – far more interesting!

LJ, we’re often posting together. Maybe that’s no coincidence and we just post too frequently! I loved rhubarb and apple crumble with custard! I feel guilty even saying it now. One of the people that I turned on to 5:2 a couple of years ago, and who has followed it religiously, swears by stevia.

LJ, I forgot to say that our T2 had a 50% off sale on boxed tea and some teapots yesterday. I didn’t buy any as those on sale didn’t appeal and I still have much to get through in the pantry. Sales are rara there and I know you like it. With the zucchini, don’t forget about your spiraliser!

Thin, I’m not one of those who react to stevia the same way as sugar. So I don’t have issues using it. However it does have a distinctive flavour and if I use a lot I can taste it. For instance in cooking and baking I can replace half the sugar with stevia and I don’t notice a taste difference. If I replace it all I do. I still don’t avoid all sugar, just try to minimise it.

PS – I also adore custard and it is yummy with stewed rhubarb. I have a habit of saying “I’ve never met a custard I didn’t like”. Most cuisines seem to have some version of custard and I love them all. Hard to pick a favourite, but I think it’s probably the galaktoboureko – the Greek version of a vanilla slice.

PPS – My zucchinis will need to get a little larger before I can spiralize them.

Galaktoboureko, my dads favourite dessert ever. We come from a family where desserts were not a part of our every day life, but when it was on the cards the Galaktoboureko was the one my Dad asked for. The other one was Loukoumathes. A deep fried ball of dough drowned in a honey sauce after cooking. Just looking at it puts on the weight! Dad was never fat though and I believe it was all the physical work he did.

thin glad u noticed it too.

Anzac those scales! About time they behaved right! Lol. And 9 kg is awesome

Still haven’t used the ruby grapefruit. Thanks LJ for suggestions. I was thinking of a salad too. Now all I need is some nice baby spinach but alas that’s been anihilated in my garden!! I can’t do marmalade. Not a fan of jam really, let alone marmalade. Thanks anyway

Cali we are meant to be able to eat on NFDs. You are obviously making the right choices usually as you have maintained the weight, give or take a bit. Well done 🙂

One thing about scales. So as an experiment I weighed myself the other night, after a NFD, before going to bed. I was 71.2 kg or 71.5kg can’t temember exactly. Next morning I was 69kg. How do I lose 1.2- 1.5 kg overnight. I did not pee out 1.5 litres I tell you. Yes my body burned some just by keeping me alive but I was surprised at the difference. Also I always have water by my bed so I know I drank some during the night.

So my best friend at work has been off for three days with a gastro bug. What do u think she ate last night, her first ‘proper’ meal. Guess??
    A hot dog with cheese. Yes, a hot dog with cheese.
    I couldn’t believe it. Three days of no food and she chooses that *****

Anyway have a great day all.

Quacka, your weight is bouncing like mine after a FD. But if you weigh yourself at night, you’re almost always higher than you were that morning because of all that you’ve eaten during the day. Still, it is kind of a mystery where it actually goes. Maybe it’s the Fat Fairy who comes and takes away the kg’s while we sleep. 😁

Thin and Suz, Making of a Murderer is on here on Netflix as well. I’ve never watched it but a few friends at work have and they said it was good. Now, we have a few things going with Bodyguard, The Americans and Outlander will be starting the 4th season on Nov. 4th, 13 episodes. It seems like feast or famine, either we can’t find anything to watch or there are too many.

My favorite custard is Creme brûlée. Second is Flan. I never heard of Galaktaboureko before tonight, but I can’t think of any Greek foods that I dislike.

I don’t like Stevia’s aftertaste at all. Maybe mixed in a recipe with sugar like LJ mentioned it would be ok, but not by itself.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Cali & Quacka,
    I’ve seen the same pattern. Back in the days when I weighed myself several times a day, I know that my weight at night is usually 1.5-2.5kg higher than in the morning. The more I sleep in the more I lose. It always seemed like an incentive for not getting up early!
    I remember a Catalyst program from a year or so ago where they proved that 90% of the calories that we burn are excreted from our body as a gas in our breath. Another reason plenty of sleep is good for you.
    You’d be surprised how much your bladder actually holds. I’ve had several bladder ultrasounds first thing in the morning – where they scan before and after you empty your bladder. Each time they measured 1.1-1.2 litres was in my bladder.

LJoyce I am going for a water fasting,how is the hunger with that?
    I fucked up yesterday,ate papoutsakia if you know what that is,yummy af and a ferrero cake,sorry if those are forbidden words in here:P
    I am starting the fast today!

LJ, I’ve noticed that the longer I sleep in and the later I weigh myself, the lower my weight is as well. I guess it just goes to show that we burn a certain number of calories doing nothing but breathing and letting out bodies do all the complex things they do to keep us alive.

Re the 90% of calories being excreted as gas in our breath, it’s amazing that some of our politicians aren’t skinnier, given the amount of hot air that comes out of their mouths! 😁

Good morning, all! Loved the discussion about weight being lower after having a sleep-in . . . I reckon I should go back to bed.

Cali, TRUE THAT about the politicians!

On a clear liquids regimen today in preparation for a little outpatient procedure tomorrow, so I’m in solidarity with anyone who might be on a FD.

Cheers to all!

Hi everyone
    8.15am Sunday

It’s been a while since I checked in – so sorry. I really feel for all those who may have lost their mojo, in the past, and have found life a little difficult at times – big group hug to you all.

Won’t go into detail but feeling that 2018 is not the best of years! I need to refind my happier self. Usually get on top of setbacks very easily, but currently turn a corner and something else happens!
    Bring on November, or even January – new year, new beginnings!

Must get back on the 5:2 wagon! The last 12 months have not been in vain! We can all achieve wonderful results together.

Sorry this post is ‘all about me’ – was not my intention.
    I’m just happy there are others out there who may understand – thank you so much in advance.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now xx

Sunday 7am – OMG we have rain !!! Steady rain all night and predicted for the remainder of today. Rain is such a rare occurrence in my neck of the woods. The sound and smell is glorious. Happy dance indeed. Todays temp is 19 degrees and the forecast for Thursday is 41 degrees – not looking forward to that at all.

I will endeavour to post (with MissD’s help) pics of my vegie/herb garden. As you know I don’t have my large vegie patch at the mo so I’ve improvised using pots and foam boxes. I’m so excited to be able to pick produce from the garden – albeit limited selection but better than none.

FD’s have kept on track the last few weeks. Did some research on water weight the other day and it was so interesting. Given me more of an understanding of why I’m travelling as I am at the mo with daily weight fluctuations of 1 to 2 kg.

Tradesmen……I won’t start on that subject because my rant won’t be pretty. Needless to say I am not impressed at all.

I’ve been meaning to say for awhile how much I love the support and kindness shown by everyone on this forum. I’m part of a few other online groups (keto and paleo) and left 2 of them last week. I could no longer stand the negativity, the way people were attacked and put down just because they asked questions or made comments the ‘experts’ thought were stupid. The foul language used was appauling. I put in a complaint to the page moderator when someone was called a fc and his response was ‘this is social media if you don’t like the language then f off’ seriously I was gobsmacked.

I joined Zoe Bigley-Pullens Falling in Love with Food online program a few weeks ago and have enjoyed being part of the group discussions (they are polite and respectful !) and reading about her food philosophy.

It’s time for a second coffee. Still in bed listening to the rain on the tin roof. Lazy Sunday morning lay in. Happy Sunday to all 😁

GDSA, what huge temperature fluctuations. 41C is so hot. My OH is in Coober Pedy. I know it’s not your neck of the woods but same state anyway. CalifD, look up that town! It’s been over 30 years since I was there but it’s fascinating. OH stayed in an underground hotel overnight.

I checked our posting guidelines here and personal attacks are prohibited but foul language isn’t. I don’t understand anonymous animosity. We’ve been fortunate to enjoy 357 pages of harmony here.

Arel, sorry things are not going well for you. Are you still practicing 5:2? Come back and join us! That’s one thing you can have control over and it will make you stronger to deal with the things life throws at you that can’t be controlled.

CalifD, you previously asked about, ‘The Bodyguard’ and it has now appeared on Netflix here. When I’ve finished, ‘Making a Murderer’, I will start that. Suz, your OH may be right – the latter is getting tedious in Series 2. I suppose this is the point of the documentary – the wheels of justice turn too slowly given the mounting evidence that these men were framed by law enforcement. And one of them already served time for another crime he did not commit. If it doesn’t have a positive conclusion by the end of this series, I’ll be wishing I’d just googled what happened!

Yes, the lungs are the primary excretory organ in weight loss. You don’t have to be asleep for that to occur though. I’m usually 700gm lower in the morning than at night. That’s why I also weigh at night sometimes – if my weight has remained the same as it was that morning on a FD, I know I can expect a loss the next day.

FD today. I suppose I won’t have LJ or Cinque with me today. Suz, I can’t tell when you posted. Are you fasting today?

Thin coober pedy is about 6 hrs drive North from me. I used to spend a lot of time there for work before MissD was born. Interesting place indeed is all I can say….lol. Living underground is fun but I feel a bit claustrophobic and need windows and to be able to view the world outside.

Thin, Coober Pedy. Australia has such cool names for towns: Wagga Wagga, Wollongong, Willoughby, Dubbo, Caboolture, Toowoomba, Warrnambool, Wanneroo. They could only be in Oz! Love it!

Obscene language may be permitted, but I reported it anyway and hope it is removed. Ignoring trolls also works.

Thin, you don’t have to be asleep to breathe out calories? There goes my excuse to sleep in! (As if I can sleep beyond 6am anyway…)

Arel, you’ve had a rough year with too many things going on. It’s understandable that you’re feeling depressed. But 5:2 is one thing you can do that will probably make you feel more positive. Even a few pounds and looser clothes puts a smile on most of our faces. Can you get out and walk? It seems like such a simple thing, but I’ve found that after the first 10 minutes my mood improves. It may not do a lot for weight loss, but it sure doesn’t hurt. I hope you stick closer to here. We’re good at commiserating and with such a diverse group, we can offer lots of suggestions. Hugs to you.

Gday, great to hear about the rain. You guys really need it and Californians can relate. I hope it didn’t cause any problems with your building projects that are going on. Hopefully you’re seeing progress. If tradesmen we’re always there on time and did everything exactly the way you wanted, renovations would be so much less stressful! I think Thin has the right idea with putting OH to work on building projects.

Suz, good luck on your “little outpatient procedure” tomorrow. Hope it all goes smoothly.

CalifD, one of those places you mention, Wanneroo, is a northern Perth suburb. I agree, unique to Oz.

Also agree with walking for a general sense of well-being. Arel, please come back and tell us what’s wrong.

GDSA, I’m intrigued about your work. All I know of Coober Pedy is its opal fame. I’m sure it would be weird to live a subterranean life – fun to visit though.

I was planning to go through old photo albums today and see if I really, really need to keep storing all that bulk. Not a problem for those born in the digital age. Of course I will keep all my extensive travel photos but I also have entire albums of parties from the eighties in California. And photos of other people’s babies and children that I can’t even identify. They have to go. But, when I returned from my walk, I was struck by the absolute silence in the garden so I am instead enjoying a coffee and making the most of it. A few birds singing and the distant sound of a lawnmower. Glorious peace!

Thin . . . yep, today is “prep” day for the procedure tomorrow, so it’s clear liquids for me on this gorgeous Sunday. Every restaurant beckoned me as OH and I were driving home from church.

Arel, no problem–“all about me” isn’t really a problem here. I’ve only been on this forum for a short while, but it seems that we all welcome that when someone needs it.

Gday, I’m with you on the negativity in forums. We don’t come here for that! Can’t believe the response you got from that one moderator . . . ugh. No one deserves that sort of reply.

And Cali, oh yes, the names!! Wagga Wagga and Dubbo are two of my favourites. We have a lovely little town near us called Sassafras, and I love that one too. It’s as charming as it sounds. Also, thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow. Procedure isn’t nearly as dreadful as the prep!

Sending virtual hugs all ’round! 🙂

Hi everyone

Arel, so nice to hear from you and the whole reason we are all on this forum is to give and get support. I hope you feel better soon

I had an EFS day yesterday I’m sorry to admit. A bit better today but I really need my FD tomorrow

Best wishes and good luck for your procedure tomorrow Suz.

Oops, puppy Maxx is nosing me for his afternoon walk so I will have to do a short post. Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday and looking forward to chatting more next week

Good evening everyone

Arel, sometimes life throws u a curved ball. I read once that you are never given more than you can handle. At the time it doesn’t feel like that at all. Let us help. We can be your ears and your sounding board. Vent all you like. Please x

A quick post. Looking forward to FD tomorrow. I also feel like I need it Anzac.

My sister mentioned something about going in the water and causing a tsunami. I mentioned 5:2 again to her. End of convo. I’m hoping she will try it one day. I don’t push

Take care all. See you for my first of 25 visits tomorrow morning x

Thanks, Anzac, for the good wishes . . . I’m off to hospital at 1:30 this afternoon, and then it will all be over.

Agree with you, Quacka, that everyone needs a sounding board at times, and sometimes an online forum like this is exactly the right place. This does seem to be a particularly understanding group–like a No Judgment Zone.

Wishing everyone a grand day!

Good morning lovely people. Cool and cloudy in Sydney today but there is a heat-wave coming mid week.

FD today and I will need to keep checking in too Quacka as I’m not feeling strong. I read a few pages of the 5:2 book to help with motivation. My sister gave me small hints about 5:2 until I finally did some research. I’m so glad she did and I’m sure your sister will soon try it eventually.

Thin – I too need to do something about the mountain of old photo’s I have in a big draw. Thank goodness for digital these days. You mentioned that you have travelled extensively? Same with us, we just love it. We didn’t start until we were in our mid thirties as we wanted to get the mortgage under control first.

Cali – some town names in Australia are fantastic aren’t they? My Dad grew up in a tiny place called Mendooran which is near….wait for it….Dunedoo (pronounced dunny-do)!

Gday – I am terribly claustrophobic and couldn’t imagine living underground in Coober Pedy. But I guess it’s what you are used to

Work beckons, so have a great day everyone

Good morning everyone from cool grey Melbourne.

Back after three nights in wonderful Blairgowrie, in a beautiful large, old, fibro holiday house that has been lovingly looked after and kept easy and perfect for beach living.

So much fun spending time with the grandchildren. The front beach was shallow and gentle so perfect for toddlers and they had such fun. Favourite comment, because the little ones could only play at the front of the house if an adult was watching, “Grandma, could you come out and concentrate on us, please?

I have read comments, hello everyone! but won’t try to respond, except Lindsay are things any better now?

I missed my Sunday Fast Day, and so I am looking forward to Wednesday already.

I have a busy week ahead so I need to head off into it. Lovely to get back into the rhythm of life after a very special break.

Chat again soon. 🙂

Cinque, great that you had that special weekend and thanks for the grandie ‘comment of the week’. DD and I had such a peaceful day yesterday with the lizards exploring the garden, having lots of chats, me sorting photos and DD completing assignments and preparing for the next rotation (anaesthesia).

Suz, I hope your FD went well. I know that you’re not ready to discuss weight but are you enjoying a downward trend with 5:2? Good luck with the procedure.

Quacka, I wonder why your DS is resistant to 5:2 when she sees it working for you? I hope you and Anzac have a good FD today. Stay strong, it’s just one day! Anzac, does your DS practice 5:2? What results has she enjoyed, if so?

Anzac, yes I have lived, worked and travelled in a lot of countries (45). It started on the final day of uni when, on impulse, my uni friend and I decided to hitch hike to Greece for a month (from the UK, not Oz!). We thought we were really something travelling for a whole month until we met so many Australians asking, “one year or two?”. We were so inspired by them and couldn’t believe anyone could travel for a whole year, let alone two. We started plotting. After working for a few years, we decided to hitch hike around Africa for a year. Long before Lonely Planet and internet so it was a real adventure. That was the start of it for me. I later did a two year trip by myself and that was when I first came to Australia & Asia. These days, I can afford a different standard of travel but it’s not necessarily better.

Sorry, what a ramble. Must get on. Have a wonderful day all.

happy Monday all

Hope you all had a fantabulous weekend

I’m sitting here at work, looking out the window, wishing I was laying in the sun in the park instead of looking out at the world. Full-on week at work, plus 2 assessments to work on for uni.

Spent yesterday doing food prep for this week. Ate at just before 8pm last night (second dinner *lol* – had the first one about 5pm) and am now hanging for midday so I can eat 🙂

thinatlast – I’m up to 53 countries I think. Major travelling now on hold until degree is finished.

Good Morning everyone

FD for me today. Anzac, we can do this!! I was feeling all motivated last night and even early this morning until I got on those evil scales. Usually I can handle the ups and downs but this morning it got to me. So I understand your feelings Anzac.
    As thin always says it is only one day so I hope we can make it.

I have come prepared today for the afternoon hunger, I have some cut up veggies ready to snack on.

Hope all is well with everyone. x

Your message came through just in time Quacka as I was just sitting here contemplating abandoning my FD when I noticed a new message in my Fast-Diet inbox folder in my email. Also thanks Thin for the encouragement. I’ve had my chicken salad and was still telling myself I was starving! So I had a couple of vita-weats to get over the slightly sick feeling and had a big drink of water and feeling so much better. It really is ‘just one day’ and I keep repeating that very thought. THANKYOU!

Punks – full time work AND studying? Wow, I don’t envy that but it will be worth it in the end. Good luck with your FD today. 53 countries – that is amazing! And thin 45 countries! I just did a quick count and I’m at about 38. I too am fortunate to be able to travel a lot differently than in my 30’s. No more backpacking for sure. We are avid (read MANIC) collectors of frequent flyer points because I refuse to do long hauls in economy these days. Your trek around Africa sounds amazing. It was one of my favourite trips; we spent about 10 days in Rwanda trekking up to the Gorillas and then spent some time at an orphanage in a remote part of Rwanda. Then we did a safari in Tanzania. Awesome

Glad you had a lovely holiday Cinque

Suz, sending positive thoughts for your procedure as it is close to 1.30pm so you are due to go in.

Yay Anzac!!

I have been thinking about eating my snack veggies that I brought with me but realised I am not actually that hungry yet. It often happens to me when I come to work prepared I find I don’t actually need it. A psychological thing I reckon.

I have had a whole bottle of water (1.25 litres) and now I have just made a bottle up with sparkling water and a red seal tea bag. This flavour is peach and pineapple and is for hot or cold brew. There are also new twinings ones out which I like – I have the blueberry, apple and blackcurrant flavour in my draw at work. I like having a sparkling water, makes the FD go so much easier.

This morning I read that we get about 20 % of our daily water needs from the food we eat. Explains why it is easy to get dehydrated on a FD

Keep at it Anzac 🙂 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 17,851 through 17,900 (of 28,018 total)

You must be logged in to reply.