Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,751 through 16,800 (of 28,011 total)

• Cheers to new beginnings, LJ! You moved house and it just took a little longer for 5:2 to follow you over there. I don’t know about excelling at 6:1, just having a go. I’m good at handing out advice but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m following it. I believe my life will now always include either 5:2 or 6:1 or some form of IF. I’d like to see the day’s intake in front of me too. We could do this by taking a photo of everything before it’s eaten/drunk and then looking at the montage at the end of the day. And then posting it on imgur to keep accountable! We could pick a common NFD to do it – I bet that would keep us all honest one day a week!

OH, I’m convinced, has a fear of being hungry. I could see the cogs in his mind worrying about where the day’s meals would come from on the road – and then, exactly as predicted, he headed to the kitchen for the big fry up.

Time to leave. Thanks LJ, we won’t be bringing the car back today as it will be dark and raining.

Thin, I’d strongly suggest you do take some suitable foods with you if driving on country roads.
    Some members of my family just spent a week at the Victorian snow fields. On the drive over through rural Victoria they assumed that they’d be able to buy food on the way, but in town after town the shops and even pubs were either closed or up for sale. They prepared better for the drive home. As they had a 4 and 6 year old in the car having access to food to stop the complaining was pretty important.

I like Cinque’s idea of imaging all the food she’s eaten or is planning to eat in a day and thin’s idea of the photo montage of it all. I’ve been doing 6:1 for the past couple of weeks mostly because I’ve felt “off” some of the days and didn’t feel up to fasting. My weight was 59 this morning, so mostly maintaining, but there were a few days over 60 in there too. I think 5:2 is easier. NFD are a bigger problem for me to control the amount of food.
    I’ve started to make an effort the pat 2 days to get some more exercise in, even if it’s just walking. My fitness tracker recorded 10,124 steps yesterday and 10,435 today. I’ve been doing all my walking in the house because even those they had the close fires contained by this morning, there’s still a lot of smoke in the air, not only from those but from the much larger ones further away. We usually can’t smell it, but we can definitely see it in the air.

The robin who built her nest in the potted tree near our back door now has a hatched baby bird for sure because we can see it when she leaves the nest to go search for food. We turned the back garden sprinklers on tonight even though it’s not our usual watering day, so she might be able to find more worms or bugs. She was definitely excited about that.

Thin, have a safe trip to pick up DD’s car. I hope you have good weather. LJ, I like the idea of bring food along. It’s often difficult to find anything healthy along the highways here,

Hi again everyone!

Thank you CateAus and welcome, and also Thin for your lovely comments – please join me in our big group hug.

There has been some very interesting and informative posts in the last couple of days with lots of comments coming from our hearts! This is an extremely supportive forum, and not just for 5:2, but for many of life’s challenges. I feel for you LJoyce and wish you much happiness as you now turn the corner after your huge move – you are a very inspiring lady and I have appreciated, and acknowledge, what you have recently been through – thank you so much for sharing your story, and thank you to all those who responded to you with excellent advice. I do feel we are all like an extended family – just wish we could all meet for a cuppa!

Must go, time to prepare dinner (6.08pm Friday) Enjoy your weekend whatever you all have planned – will be thinking of you all xx

Cali, I hope your newly hatched robin can cope with the smoky air.
    You’re doing 10,000 steps inside the house? You’ll wear out a path in the carpet at this rate 😀
    I think staying in the 59-60kg range is pretty good considering the health and medication issues you’ve had to deal with lately.

I managed to squeeze in just a 30 minute walk today as there was almost constant rain and high winds here and I couldn’t go earlier than 4:30 when the courier arrived with my wallpaper (I had promised to be here to sign for it). I had planned to shovel wood chips into bags today but the rain stopped me doing that as well. So a low exercise day. Thankfully my NFD food intake has been modest and pretty much to plan.

I ate my main meal of Nigerian bean stew for lunch, mainly because the soup wasn’t ready yet and as I hadn’t had breakfast I was hungry by noon. I had planned on a banana mid-afternoon but really felt like putting peanut butter on it (an addiction of mine). So I negotiated a compromise. If I wanted the peanut butter then I had to swap the large banana for a small one – which I did. I was also careful with how much peanut paste I applied to the banana as this has been getting quite out of hand lately. There have been some days when the banana was barely visible under the mound of peanut butter.

I’m doing another mental negotiation over dinner. The cauliflower cheese soup is ready and I was planning a large bowl of it. I’m thinking I might want a piece of toast to go with it so I’m deciding whether I’m willing to just have a cup of soup with a piece of toast instead. I’m working on Cinque’s principle of visualising all the food for the day on the table together. I’m trying to keep the volume of food the same. When I decide I want an extra item I do a trade instead of just adding more and more things to the table. This process is also making me think about how much I want that extra food item if it involves sacrifice.

Don’t all gasp in shock, but there should be a Telstra technician here tomorrow morning to finally connect my home phone. I’m at the point where I’ll believe it when I see it, but as this appointment has been organised by the complaints officer I’m slightly hopeful that it might actually occur. Then it’s just numerous billing issues that they need to resolve…

I think I’ve decided – a cup of cauliflower soup and a slice of wholemeal sourdough will be dinner.

Sorry if my posts are a bit long winded at the moment. I’m finding it important to account for everything to keep me honest and also to talk through my thinking processes by writing them out.

Arel, we were posting at the same time.
    There was some talk of a SH group get together a year or so ago. I don’t think we managed to agree on a state that were all prepared to fly to.

LJoyce, I meant to comment on your christening your new kitchen with a bottle of kefir the other day. Is that an old Aussie custom? We do something similar in the U.S., but we use champagne. Much easier clean up afterwards. 😁😆😂

Good morning everyone,
    Hugs Arelkade, it IS time to look after yourself. You want to be living this precious life to the fullest. Wouldn’t it be lovely if we could all get together for a cuppa!

Hugs to Cate too, I hope yesterday was a gentle day, remembering your dear sister.

Thin, slim person, far away, hooking up a car, I hope all is going well. And yes, who’d have thought! Me doing B2B!
    My heart goes out to you as a little one, trying to cope with the death of your brother.

LJoyce I did 6:1 for a while when I got to the lower end of my healthy weight and surprised my doctor so much she told me not to lose any more. But I felt I needed the rhythm of the two fast days a week. It is also since then that I have been a lot hungrier, I presume it is my brain thinking I need to get back to being obese. Crazy brain.

I am like Cate, feeling that it is a long time between fast days when doing them B2B. I think I will manage it by making Sunday a light eating day too. Still deciding how light.

I had a really good day yesterday. Partly it’s being properly hydrated, and that ‘imagining the day’s food on the table’ does work for me. Well, so far. So I think I have turned a corner too. Your corner is bigger LJoyce, so I am really hoping things are easier for you too. I am like you, and work things out best by talking or writing them out, especially with people who can shed insight.

Cali, hello to your robin and her baby. Cheers for keeping in maintenance mode and managing all those steps. I do so hope you can do more and more now. Not steps maybe, you seem to be doing plenty of them! Yoga or gym or whatever you like to do. (And haha re the kefir)

LJoyce, did you say one time that you were hoping to set up a gym area in your new home?

Fingers crossed Telstra comes through today!

Well, after my good day yesterday I have started today well, but I am off to be with the grandtots and keeping myself hydrated while I am babysitting is a challenge. I have my big waterbottle ready and will make plenty of cuppas. They do know grandma needs cuppas!

Best wishes to everyone, enjoy this precious day!

Arel- thanks for including me in the group hug & the welcome.
    Cinque- I did have a gentle day and turned it into a lovely evening by inviting our older son & 3 grandkids for dinner. It was such a lovely evening. Our son gave me a silk scarf he bought in Singapore. We toasted my sister at dinner. I always ring my younger sister on the anniversary & birthdays of our siblings & I make much more of an effort with my older brother. His younger daughter had a baby girl yesterday on the anniversary of our sister’s death. I’ll wait until Monday to ring him as it’s his birthday.
    I might have a light day tomorrow too, Cinque. I find I feel much fuller eating much less, but after a “normal” sized meal last night, my stomach hurts.

It sounds like everyone had a good day and is emerging from their respective foggy patches and finding their way.

How uplifting to discover a new robin, CalifD. That is indeed a lot of steps. Hoping it’s up and down your stairs and not to and from the fridge, he he!

We successfully retrieved DD after work and OH is now delivering her to her Saturday job. I hadn’t seen your message, LJ, but did take along a large carrot, a large apple, a piece of Jarlsberg cheese and a bottle of water each. It was very green and a pleasant drive down. After collecting DD and chatting to the car mechanic, we had dinner in a country pub. We did have to walk the length of the town to find something suitable (and open). It had been decades since we’ve been in a pub and we could feel all eyes on us as we entered, being the strangers in town. The food was rather expensive but surprisingly good. I had a very tasty lentil and tofu curry with a greasy pappadam, leaving the rice. OH made the right decision about leaving the car behind as the weather was truly horrendous driving back. We’ll have to rent a car carrier and repeat the whole exercise but in daylight and hopefully with no torrential rain.

Looking forward to fasting tomorrow. I have the Hairy Bikers’ Healthy Cottage Pie and Cauliflower Soup defrosting.

It will be fun to meet up one day. It’s been ages since I’ve seen anyone from this thread but I’ve been lucky to meet seven others. I don’t know what’s happened to all the Perth losers.

how to upload pics? I am thinking of posting a before and after pic with my new “manic panic” hair colours tomorrow, just for fun 🙂
    last week I only lost .5 kg – BUT it still got my BMI to 24.8, which is in the healthy range. Only 6 kg to go to reach my goal weight. That’s about 6 – 8 weeks depending on my weekly weight loss.
    I actually only weigh myself once a week, which is also recommended by health professionals – I don’t want to get concerned about small weight changes either up or down.
    @thin – good luck retrieving DDs car, she is lucky to have such caring parents

off to my friend’s place this afternoon – she’ll be cooking dinner, and her normal servings are about twice the size of what I can / want to eat, so I have to remind her very gently that my tummy can’t handle huge amounts of food. Unfortunately my friend is quite obese, and won’t do anything about it – even though she can see that I have lost a lot of weight, a good example that 5:2 works.

I hope every one has a good 5:2 weekend, whether FD or NFD.

Good morning SHs, welcome to the weekend.

Thin, I’m very pleased to hear you had a safe trip to collect your daughter – always a risk in heavy rain as the oil on the roads can make them slippery. I think it was very wise to not try and tow the car in that weather.

Cali, yes very funny! Champagne is more normal here too, although I’ve not heard of anyone spraying it around their kitchen – not deliberately anyway.

Penguin, I hope you aren’t heading back to Portugal soon, I see it’s forecast to be 47C there this weekend. That sounds like too much heat for a seasoned Aussie, I suspect it would be an even bigger shock to a Brit.

Sybs, to upload pics I think most of us use imgur https://imgur.com/upload
    Once you’ve uploaded the pics there will be a url code which you can copy and then paste into the 5:2 text box as part of your post. I will admit it took me a couple of tries to make it work for me – I always double check by copying the link and then pasting it into a new window and see if it takes me to my pictures – that way I know it works.

Cinque, No it definitely wasn’t me who wanted a home gym. I think GDSA was planning that at one time. There is a gym in the Adelaide foothills that is only a 10-15 minute drive from here. They have all the usual gym equipment and a heated pool but are not fancy like the trendy and pricey gyms. Their normal price is $150 per year and they often have specials as low as $100. Much cheaper than spending $1000s on equipment. Because of the low prices they are very popular with students and pensioners.
    I too hope Telstra show up. I was told I had to be here from 8-12 and was up by 7:30 just in case they showed up early. It’s now nearly 10am here and still no sign.

Cate, it’s lovely that you had such a nice remembrance dinner for your sister. It’s so nice when you get to the point where memories of the loved ones that we’ve lost bring a gentle smile to our face rather than the sadness that is ever present in the early days of grief.
    Congratulations on the new niece.

This is my third NFD today, not sure if tomorrow will be a FD or not as Monday might fit my schedule more easily. The last two FDs have gone exceptionally well. I have had a rough plan for all of my food choices for the day ahead of time and then on the day I’ve made the final decisions about what I really feel like – without changing the overall volume or approx calorie content of what I’m eating. My body is feeling a bit better – less bloated. My resolve to make a permanent change is also holding strong – I feel reassured by this.

Woohoo, just had a call from the Telstra technician. He’ll be here in 20 minutes.

Cate, congratulations on the birth of your great niece. She has a wonderful guardian angel to watch over her. And it’s nice that she was born close to your brother’s birthday. Do they live nearby?

Sybs, most of us upload pictures to imgur https://imgur.com/upload and just post the link here. I’d love to see your new manic panic hair color! What a great idea to post it here. When friends serve too much food after I try to refuse, I just eat what I want and take the leftovers home for another day. All we can try to do is to set a good example, and maybe one day they’ll get the idea.

Thin, glad you are all safely home. Too bad the weather was so awful. Nothing worse than driving in stormy conditions. It takes so much concentration that you feel exhausted afterwards.

Cinque, sometimes it just takes a little trial and error to see which way of fasting works. You’ve been doing the regular 5:2 since the beginning, right? I plan to go back to 5:2 rather than 6:1 soon. I usually feel better on FDs anyway. Maybe it’s just because I’ve been doing 5:2 for a long time, but it seems easier. But I haven’t really given B2B a fair chance. I’ve only done it a few times out of necessity when other things came up during the week like trips or holidays.

I used to freeze firm tofu all the time and then thaw and use it in recipes. I think it’s been mentioned here once or twice. It completely changes the texture and seems to absorb more marinades or sauces when it’s thawed. I haven’t done it in ages. Does anyone freeze it on a regular basis?

Cali, I also freeze tofu occasionally. Mostly when I buy a big block (because it’s better value) but only need a small portion of it fresh. I also find the texture changes when frozen. With the blocks that have been frozen I find, once thawed, I can squeeze them like a sponge to remove the water and them crumble them. I treat this crumbly tofu pile like vegetarian mince meat and use it as a substitute in recipes requiring minced (ground) meat. To remove some of the water from the fresh tofu block I seem to spend hours putting the slices onto many layers of paper towel and then frequently having to change the paper as it quickly becomes sodden. It’s the only way I can get it dry enough to absorb marinades and sauces.

Sybs- I registered with imgur after seeing your question about posting pics as a friend uses it for her photos. I laughed when I saw your “only lost .5 kg this week”. I hope that I will consistently lose that.
    LJ- Thank you. It is nice to be able to enjoy the memories & not feel so sad. My sister made me stronger & built my self-esteem & I feel she is a part of me.I’m quite excited about my new great-niece. I hope to see them in Melb in Oct.
    Cali- Thank you. My brother & his wife are only a few hours away, but love to visit & would be there now, helping to look after the 2 older sisters.
    I decided to have a light eating day today. I can’t believe how much healthier & lighter I am eating than when I was trying to “diet” every day. My whole approach to food is so much better.

It funny how changing some simple things can make a difference to how much is eaten and the enjoyment you get from it.
    I noticed that I seemed to be using milk much faster living here than in my previous house. I’ve had more frequent guests, but that doesn’t account for much of the extra, as many of my rellies don’t drink tea & coffee. I realised that in this house I wasn’t putting the cup, milk jug and teapot onto a tray anymore, because the kitchen & living is one area, so it’s only a few steps over to the kitchen bench to pour myself a second cup from the pot. In my previous house I would take the tea tray into the living room. The difference is that I used to add milk to my cup from a small milk jug and now I’m trying to tip if from a heavy 3L container into my cup. As I don’t have much strength in my wrists, upending 3L of milk is a fairly uncontrolled movement and I’m ending up with more milk in my cup. This increased the amount of milk from about one cup a day to nearly two. I have now reverted to the milk jug system. Hopefully this simple change will get that extra 100 calories out of my day. I’ve been doing it for a couple of days and I’m definitely just using one cup now.
    The other thing I noticed is that by taking time to eat a smaller amount I do enjoy every mouthful. I notice what I eat and am more satisfied by it. With last night’s cup of soup I had one small slice of toasted wholemeal sourdough. I savoured it slowly and it was so nice. It’s funny how I appreciate this small amount so much when a week ago I was sometimes eating 6 slices in a day and was still looking for snacks. It seems perverse that less is more satisfying than more – but oddly, it is.

By the way, for those of you following my seeming endless Telstra saga – I now have a working home phone, after 9 weeks of trying to get it connected. Now they just have to sort out the billing mess and everything will be good.

Must engage brain before posting. Just put my report on the science thread because I followed a link from here to there. As a friend said recently: since I got old my brain no longer wanders – it clears off completely.
    Did I say that yesterday?

Lots of posts these days. It is no longer a matter of a quick scan whilst I have my first tea of the day.

LJ. I have no plans to go to Portugal before late October. Until then I will stay in our more temperate low thirties. There are sometimes advantages to a billing mess. When we first moved here we didn’t pay an electricity bill for three years because the ones they were sending were clearly not ours. By the time they finally worked out which meter was ours the rates had changed so often that they didn’t know what we owed them and their guess was very reasonable. The guy next door didn’t get a bill of any kind for five years and when he moved on he couldn’t find an electricity supplier who had him on their books, so five years free power.

Our seven day building job which started four weeks ago will, with luck, finish on Monday. Then back to normal. In the chaos I have gained a couple of pounds.

Now a quick shower and shave and off to my new Saturday job – I have just signed on as a volunteer at the local aviation museum.

Ha Penguin, that is exactly the sort of thing I do all the time.

Speaking of which, that is a good article you put up on the ‘related science articles’ thread LJoyce. Interesting that 5:2 has the most data backing it up.
    Also interesting what they say about eating protein and fat on fast days. My instinct is towards eating greens with legumes, tofu, fish or chicken (and mushrooms). And especially soup. Probably because I think of monks food, or peasants food, for fasting.

Cheers that you are finding your 5:2 mojo again, AND that Telstra came. Good luck with the billing issues.
    I think you are right that it was Gday with the gym plan. Well I bet you will have lots of options for physical activities or classes or whatever you decide.

I use a little milk jug everyday, so much easier than getting the big container of milk in and out of the fridge all the time. 🙂

Cate, you made it such a special day, and fancy that little grand niece being born on the day. Congratulations graunty!

Thin, you did make it a great trip.
    I am so annoyed that I forgot about your Hairy Bikers healthy cottage pie when I experimented with making a healthier one last month. I’ve just checked the recipe, and I came up with pretty much the same adjustments (helped by suggestions on the YamDaisy facebook page).

Penguin, can builders never predict how long things will take them? Seven days to four weeks! Sheesh!

Well, it is Sunday morning here and I am going to experiment with an inbetweeny day. I haven’t felt that successful when I have tried before, but I will keep to my peasant/monks food and I will see how I go. Life is an interesting experiment!

It is my daughter’s birthday, but my input is minding kids this evening while she heads off to have drinks and something to eat with friends so I will have my soup when I get home (with 2 littlies she isn’t into late nights).

Goodness I have been about an hour writing this, lucky it is a slow Sunday. best wishes all.

Morning all – a fast day at last! Hurray. It takes a long time for them to come around on 6:1. Still under 60kg but not by much. Ok, so no takers for posting photos of our daily food intake! Hmm, that’s telling. Well, I decided to put today’s FD offerings in one photo. https://imgur.com/6Do90J5 It might not look very appetising now but I will try to remember to take a photo of my steaming Hairy Bikers’ dinner. The tiny tupperware contains my almond & coconut milk ration for the day & everyone knows what’s in the other one. 1 tbs plain yoghurt is added after heating. Oh, and, don’t worry, I pitched that particular frozen banana! They’re for emergencies at the end of a FD just in case hunger looms.

Cinque, glad you came up with a similar HB cottage pie. It is so delicious. And eaten with a teaspoon, very slowly, savouring every bite! Happy Birthday to Rose. I hope you have fun with the little ones this evening. Has SIL completely recovered from his health issues?

Commiserations Penguin, trusting the end result is wonderful when the builders finally leave you in peace.

Cate, congratulations on the new family member. I’d missed the post about remembering your sister because we posted at the same time that day. That’s a nice way of keeping her memory alive.

LJ, the hand therapist in me would say avoid buying the 3lt milk. I changed to 2lt about a year ago and find them a lot easier to handle and pour. Hurray for Telstra finally doing their job. Shameful service.

Good morning SHs, I trust you all have nice plans for your Sunday.

Thin, I laughed at you celebrating a FD. Thanks for the FD photo and for clarifying about the banana – I was trying to figure out whether it was a peeled banana or a pork sausage. But I couldn’t remember you ever mentioning eating sausages on FDs.
    I haven’t given up on the idea of taking a photo and posting it, I just have to figure out how. I’m fairly new to an iphone and I’ve figured out how to include photos in a text message but nothing beyond that yet. I need to get them from my iphone to my laptop to be able to post them (or figure out how to include them in a post that I write on my iphone). I’m thinking I might be able to email them to myself and that will get them to my laptop. To figure out anything beyond that I’ll need another tutorial from my niece on how to make my iphone do things I didn’t know it could.
    Enjoy that FD.

Penguin, I hope the end result of the never ending building project is worth it.

Cali, have those fires near you eased off yet?

Cinque, I hope you have a good time with your grand daughters and they don’t leave you too exhausted.

I have a friend visiting this afternoon but I plan to fast today anyway. She’s used to me just having a cuppa with her sometimes. I will offer her a microwaved frozen muffin.

Now that my NFDs feel much more sensible I feel very comfortable with the 5:2 routine and am not debating about adding extra FDs.
    Have a good day all.

LJ, great – a fasting buddy! Pork sausage? LOL. Do you have Image Capture on your laptop? If so, when you attach your iPhone for charging, it is so easy to download the photos as the most recent photos automatically appear when you open Image Capture.

Sybs, looking forward to your photo later today. I also have a very overweight friend who’s my walking buddy of 17 years. She sees that 5:2 works so effortlessly, has asked for all the information but just won’t try it. I would guess that she’s getting close to 100kg. She told me the other day that she just doesn’t care.

Well emailing the photo to myself worked. I have now loaded it into imgur.
    https://imgur.com/PqyUEJQ
    Today’s FD food is: several pots of tea with low fat milk, some strawberies and cherries and a 600ml serve of creamy cauliflower, carrot & sweet potato soup to which I will add 1 tblsp parmesan once it’s heated. Sorry I forgot to include the parmesan in the photo.
    As it’s a FD there isn’t much there and I was able to fit in into one photo. But if I put my NFD food on the bench I’d have to stand on a ladder to get high enough above it to fit in one framed shot!

You have made your FD food look more appealing, LJ. Let’s see what others can come up with in the coming days! After that, maybe we can move on to the challenge of revealing our NFD food – with a prize for anyone getting it all in the one photo!

I thought of you all last night as I indulged in my own Piegate. OH and I went to our favourite pub. She ate the baked cod with light summer veg and a seafood sauce, followed by a peach. I had the chicken, leek and ham hock pie, light veg and chips (fries to Cali). I ate them with a knife and fork! I followed that with sticky toffee pudding and ice cream. Sticky toffee pudding gate doesn’t have the same ring to it and I feel no shame or guilt. This is a way of life, not a life sentence.

@penguin – well said

All well and good but where are the photos? 😆

I have to confess to an amendment. https://imgur.com/a/RLOxZiV
    I had planned 600ml of soup with a tablespoon of grated parmesan added to it. I’ve changed it to a cup of the soup (a bit under 300ml) with just 1 teaspoon of parmesan. This sacrifice allowed me to have a rye crispbread spread with ricotta and topped with 1/2 small sliced tomato. I’m just about to have the soup and rye crispbread for my dinner.

Penguin, if you are going to indulge then you might as well enjoy every mouthful – no point otherwise.

@thin – my friend has not emailed them yet – also, slight change of plan, not multi coloured, just bright blue/green

Cinque, are you sleeping in after a big night with the little people? Easy FD yesterday although I was beginning to wish I hadn’t thrown out that banana by bed time. I hope everyone had a fun weekend with good resolve.

Good morning all.

Last week, when I realised how much I’d let my NFD eating slide, it wasn’t just the binge eating afternoon that alerted me. My usually loose jeans were fitting firmly and my new smaller size jeans, wouldn’t do up at all. I’m pleased to report that just a week of being very careful has made a difference. I can now actually do the smaller sized jeans up fairly easily and although I wouldn’t describe the others as loose, they are definitely very roomy, even when sitting down. I know most people rely on their scales to inform them of progress, but I seem to react badly to anything the scales tell me, so I rely on the fit of my jeans to tell me how my weight is going.

I will weigh again at some point. The trouble is, if the number isn’t what I’m expecting (up or down) it usually sends me to the fridge looking for food to either console myself with or to celebrate. To say I have some deep-seated and unhealthy patterns associated with the bathroom scales is an understatement. I haven’t quite gotten to the same point as Cinque and decided not to have any in the house. They do however live in the vanity of the spare bathroom that I don’t use.

I will take a photo of today’s NFD food later, once I’ve prepared my first meal. I think being accountable for the NFD food is probably more important for me than the FDs – they don’t change much. Mostly it’s cups of tea, a piece of fruit and a big bowl of soup (or sometimes a veggie stir fry if I can be bothered cooking). I wonder if that’s one of the reasons that FDs are easier – I don’t give myself a lot of choices and the food requires little preparation as I always have soups in the freezer and fruit on the kitchen bench. (I probably don’t need to add that there is also always a cupboard full of tins of tea!)

NFDs involve choice, and it’s the many more decisions that gets me into trouble. I’m also wondering whether the the various words that we associate with NFDs add to the issues I sometimes have with controlling my eating. The terms I particularly hate are “feast day” or “feed day”. To me I just think binge when I hear either of those terms. Even “normal day” is difficult – what is normal, whose version of normal is the right one? Because I spent so much of my younger life morbidly obese I can’t use my past eating to give me a guide for “normal” I know exactly where that will lead. Even watching thin people and trying to copy them isn’t always helpful as some of them have a much higher TDEE than I do.

My sister’s meal choices are probably the best guide for me, as I think her portions are about right for me too. She has a piece of fruit for breakfast (usually an orange unless it’s summer time when she’ll have apricots or rockmelon) and sometimes vegemite toast as well. Lunch is her main meal of the day and will always contain some protein (usually meat) and several veg and would fill a smaller entree plate but not the large main course plate. Her dinner for most of the year is soup and toast. Sometimes she adds an egg or cheese to the toast. Like me, she drinks many cups of tea throughout the day and if she wants a snack she mostly chooses fruit. She has never liked desserts (definitely not like me) and even as a kid she would be the only one at the dinner table eating a piece of fresh fruit for dessert when the rest of us were tucking into pudding with custard. Although that doesn’t mean she avoided sugar – she used to drink her sugar. She doesn’t like water so drinks soft drinks and cordial and used to have 2 teaspoons of sugar in every cup of tea. This is probably the only aspect of my diet that’s always been better. I don’t like soft drinks or cordial, I prefer water and I never have sugar in my tea. As my sister has gotten older and her calorie needs have dropped, it’s the sugar in drinks that she’s changed. She now also has her tea very weak and black without sugar.
    I suppose the helpful things I’ve learned from observing her over my lifetime is that her portions are appropriate, her diet is high in fruit & veg, she doesn’t snack very much and those snacks are usually fresh fruit, she has also adapted her choices as she’s aged to avoid gaining a lot of weight as her calorie needs have reduced. She’s in her 60s and has gained some weight over the last 20-30 years, but not a lot. I’ve never asked her what she weights but I’d guess she’s gone from the lower end of her healthy weight range to being at the very top now.

Well that’s the end of my reflections for the morning, I imagine a few more posts will have arrived while I’ve been typing my essay!

Hi everyone, so pleased I found this thread! I am in Tassie and starting today. One of my colleagues mentioned this to me so I started researching and watched the doco at the weekend.
    I’m starting very simply – cup-a-soup for late lunch, and then a ‘Wellness’ frozen meal for dinner purely because it’s easy and I can see on the box what the calorie count is. I need it to be simple to begin with.
    Made myself a cup of tea at morning tea time (I’ve chosen two work days as my ‘fast days – Mon/Thurs because I think this will be easiest for me to keep my mind off food) and actually feel reasonably content. Fingers crossed I can keep this going! I have an orange ready for a snack through the day as well and have factored it all into my calorific intake for the day.
    I’m a terrible overeater – I eat very emotionally. While I’ve tried to get this under control over the last few years, I’m also at my heaviest weight ever. I find the prospect of any new way of eating to be incredibly daunting just because of the restriction involved, so this one really appealed to me because I know it’s only ever one day until I can eat whatever it is that my heart is desiring at the time! I’m hoping that like most who have been doing this longer term, I come to a place where I’m craving the less desirable foods much less, so we’ll see! Hoping to feel less tired and generally better in myself. I do have a ton of weight to lose so are hoping that this works for me!

Sybs, the important thing, is: do you like your new blue/green hair? Will you have to buy a new wardrobe to match? (This is when it’s nice to have a lot of neutral color outfits.! 😁)

LJ, that looks really good! What a pretty plate! My scales can easily show a whole kg up or down overnight, usually depending on what I did or didn’t eat. My walking seems to be helping. Even after pizza last night my weight was 59.8. My clothes usually don’t feel a kg either way. But 2 or more and I would definitely be able to tell with clothing.

Hi everyone. Haven’t had time to catch up with recent posts – so sorry about that.

Today is my first FD for about one month. I’ve had water, and 2 cups of coffee made on water with full cream milk added – can’t go without milk! It’s just past 2pm Monday here, so not foing too bad! Fingers crossed!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

LJoyce, I read your comment above about your plateau and thinking that you needed to accept that your body was happy where it was. I’m interested to know if you continued the 5:2 approach across the month despite coming to that understanding? I’ve read that once you get to where you want to be, you could move more to a 6:1 approach. Trying to learn as much as I can!

Welcome, Tassie Jane! I hope you find the 5:2 way of losing as easy as I did. The nice thing is that I never really feel deprived or like I’m on a diet. That made maintenance easy because I’m sticking to the same program except sometimes eating a little more on NFDs. Habits change when you realize that you won’t starve to death if you’re hungry for a little while. Feeling hungry comes and goes in waves, so it’s not difficult to just ignore it much of the time. Hope you find it the same.

LJ, you commented on my wearing out to carpet doing 10,000 steps indoors because of the heat on sometimes smoke outside. We have tile floors throughout the downstairs so no danger of wearing a path in the tiles. I think that takes generations. 😁

My sister was worried that the robin with the nest outside our back door was not going to find enough food for her and the baby. So yesterday she bought about 40 worms ( the ones we call night crawlers) and put them on a large dish with a raised edge and a bunch of potting soil and left it on the patio table, just a few feet from the tree. It didn’t take the bird long to find the first 10 and she flew right over and got them. It was pretty cute. So that was our entertainment yesterday. 😁

Hi everyone,
    And welcome Tassie Jane, lots of experience on here so ask as many questions as you want.

Photo of FD food (what a mission, because mine is made fresh at each evening meal, so ingredients all weighed and calories worked out. Photos done and I’ll work out how to get them up on the forum. All food is 1 meal after 6pm except psyllium husk.

My practice is to get as much food in quantity and variety for as little calories as I can.

1. Fish and vegie soup – ling a 6 vegies – 184 cals

2. Kefir and psyllium husk – for my sluggish innards – 32 cals

3. Fruit – 2 – 45 cals

4. Drinks – 49 cals

5. Seaweed Snack – 10cals

Total 320 cals.
    If I go to the movies I would add 1 small coffee – 68 cals, or tea 3 cals.

It looks like I’m preparing for a cooking show!

Check in: 65.5kgs at start of todays FD, 3.5kgs above goal weight.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Hi Jane & welcome to the forum. I’m only into my 4th week & already am finding my appetite has decreased a lot & I am only craving healthy food. I’m from Tassie too. I hope you soon get used to 5:2. I know I feel much better on it & don’t feel like I’m on a “diet”. I’m doing my 1st FD of this week today & will again on Thursday. So far, only
    140 cals.

Wow, active community.

Hi everyone!

My fifth week, curtailed a college at work to join me last week but it was a pretty lonely venture before that. Fast days, I think its referred to as FD(?), are Mon and Thursday which is standard by what I have read so far.

Any forum rules or general advice and manners followed, like not writing about certain foods on FD?

Cheers,
    Bruce

Wow two new members in one day. Welcome Jane from Tassie and Bruce from Perth. I hope you are finding the FDs ok so far. You do eventually settle into a rhythm that works. I started out trying to stretch the 500 calories across the whole day, but eventually I realised that providing I could have cups of tea throughout the day I was ok just having an evening meal. Unlike most others on this forum I don’t have set days of the week as FDs, I move them around to suit whatever I’m doing each week, although I do have a strong preference for fasting Sundays when I can manage it.

Bruce we have few rules, frequently go off topic and really just try to be supportive of each other. Glad to hear you have someone from work to take the journey with you. As we all have different days of the week as FDs it would be pretty difficult to avoid food conversations. Although I did attempt to avoid discussions of baking when Penguin did his first 5 day water fast.

Jane, I continue 5:2 regardless of whatever my body or weight is doing. I’ve been on maintenance for about 17 months but find I still need 2 FDs per week to manage my weight. There a couple of people on this forum who’ve tried 6:1. Even in maintenance my weight can vary quite a lot and I’m ok with that as long as I stay within my target range. I only worry when I’m near the top of my chosen weight range and know I’m eating too much. That’s what I’ve been doing in recent weeks and knew I needed to cut back on my NFD food intake as I find it all too easy to overeat. Like you I am also an emotional eater and have a history of binge eating, which I’m pleased to say is now only a minor issue. That’s changed a lot in the nearly 2 years that I’ve been on this forum.

Cali, I love the fact that your sister bought worms for the robin. Sounds like one well fed baby bird.

Arel, that’s a big step to be doing a FD again. It sound like you are going really well.

Hi Merry & Cate, sounds like your FDs are going well to.

I’ll post today’s pics in a minute.

I promised pics for a NFD. https://imgur.com/a/qFfhGs8
    Today I had a banana late morning then a very large smoothie for lunch (blueberries, kefir, yoghurt, almond milk, inulin powder, psyllium, vanilla and ice). I planned an orange for mid-afternoon but I’m not hungry so I’ll probably skip that. Dinner is leftovers – one cup of chilli con carne with roasted potato, carrot and kale sprouts. I also included the teapot and the amount of water I’m trying to drink in the photo.

Some time ago I tried to explain how I stored single serves of meals in flat ziploc bags to make the most of the limited storage in my freezer compartment. As I was in a photo mood today, I took a shot of the many meal bags in my freezer door. https://imgur.com/TwcLbr9 I lay the bags flat on a shelf to freeze them, then stack them in the door once they are frozen solid. If I just have meal bags in the door (and not the other things that are there at the moment) I can easily fit 24 bags. I like the flat bag system not just because it’s space efficient but because things defrost much more quickly than in a plastic tub. Many of these meals can be used as a FD meal if I don’t feel like my usual soup. On a NFD I usually put either extra veg or grains with them.

Hi, Bruce!
    Hi, Lj- I love your pics & your organised freezer! I think my FD’s will change each week, depending on what is on. I’ll try for either Mon or Tue & then Thu or Fri. This week I’ll be doing Thu as we’re going out to dinner on Fri night. I love 5:2’s flexibility.

@bruce & Tassie Jane – welcome to 5:2 and the SH Forum
    I have only been doing 5:2 since 01 February, so I am still a bit of a newbie. When I started 5:2 I counted calories and weighed stuff – I don’t count calories any longer, as I have gotten used to serving sizes for FDs. But I always check the nutrition panel and list of ingredients on any packaged/canned food I buy.
    I also started walking every morning, nothing too strenuous, for about 45 – 60 minutes. I noticed that I changed shape, ie able to get into shorts and blouses which had been too tight, before I noticed my weight dropping.
    After about 2-3 month I hit a plateau and started 4:3, 4 NFSs and 3 FDs per week, which did the trick, and I have been dropping weight ever since – between 500g and 1 kg per week, for a total weight loss of 17 kg since 1 February. I only weigh myself once each week, which is recommended by health professionals, mainly because there can be daily weight fluctuations.
    The great thing about 5:2 is that it’s so flexible, and you will find that many on this forum have adapted it to suit their individual needs

In an effort to stay honest about my NFD. I may have chosen not to eat the orange this afternoon, however I am about to eat a 160g tub of yoghurt as it was just what I felt like after the chilli con carne. Not posting a pic – you all know what a tub of yoghurt looks like.

Day 1 of my two day B2B FDs. Noon. Nothing solid since 6pm yesterday. Two cups of tea and two of coffee this morning. I spent the morning burning calories, digging holes for a post and rail fence i am putting up. I will eat a few lettuce leaves etc now and spend the afternoon mixing concrete by hand and putting up the posts. This evening i will permit myself a kipper.

Made a very good NFD Chopped Kale, Quinoa Salad for dinner last night. Added chopped fresh mint from the garden, dried craisins, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and a little bit of crumbled feta. Dressing was lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. I turned out really well and OFM liked it too. I still have another bunch of kale so thinking I may try a kale, quinoa, few strips of crumbled turkey bacon, feta and maybe some water packed artichoke hearts, green low salt olives and sunflower seeds. What do you think? I’m switching my Monday FD to Tuesday today.

The nearby fires are out but air quality is awful because of some of the large ones that are farther away. It all depends on which way the smoke blows. We need rain!

Penguin, caffeine and lettuce doesn’t sound like much of an energy source for digging holes. Good for fat burning. I hope the 2 day fast goes well.

Cali, I’m very glad to hear that those fires that were close to you are now out.
    Last night’s salad sounds good. Your idea for the rest of the kale sounds interesting but I’d be wary on the number of salty flavours (bacon, feta & olives). It might make the salad too salty. I use feta often in salads and I find it adds all the salt I need to the dish. If you want the bacon and olives then I’d suggest a less salty cheese.

I have to quickly drink my cup of tea then deliver my car to the mechanic – major service today.

Good morning,
    Welcome here Tassie Jane, Congratulations on your first 5:2 Fast Day. You planned it really well. How are you today?

And welcome to you too Bigjobbruce! Congratulations on your 5 weeks, and for finding a colleague to join you.
    Everyone uses this forum differently, some to keep accountable, some to find support when they don’t have much, some pop in nearly every day, some just now and then.
    Sometimes the thread can be exhaustingly busy, and other times it hardly moves. Hopefully you can make it work to support you with 5:2, and your experience will help others.
    People could be fasting any day, but if we mention food on their fast day, at least they can think, well, I can eat that tomorrow!

I will give the food photo a go Thin, but maybe next week, I need to recover from a busy couple of days. Love your photo, nice and organised.

I had a an active time babysitting my toddler grandchildren on Sunday and then went to a movie and lunch on Monday, which doesn’t sound like much, but it was a huge day for me. Wonderful though! The movie was the NZ one, The Breaker Upperers and it was such fun, such a refreshing way of showing women on screen.

My SIL is going pretty well, but he does have complex, chronic health issues so his life is a tricky juggle.

LJoyce, a gorgeous Fast Day photo! And so quick at getting back into your jeans. Excellent!
    I realised I have quite a good picture in my head of how big a meal should be, and what looks healthy in terms of colours and ratios. My meat and 3 veg mum did it really well. I have made the effort to make my meals reflect it.

Ha, Penguin, an excellent Piegate you had there. Wow, that mixture of fasting and physical work will get your body going! Are you drinking buckets of water?

Cali, so glad the robins got a good feed. Fingers crossed it rains soon. Good luck wearing a track through those tiles!
    Both those salads sound delicious!

Merry I do hope it was an excellent Fast Day yesterday!

Cate, you are on a roll.

I’m having a quiet day-before-fast-day: no blue and purple manic panic, but I am putting henna on my hair.

Best wishes to everyone!

Cinque, sounds like you’ve had a tiring time. Hope today truly is a recovery day.

I’m getting a bit addicted to taking the daily food photo. Today I needed my 2 step ladder to get higher enough above the bench to get everything in shot!
    https://imgur.com/ZUmyLZ6
    Today’s planned food is 1/2 of the pictured tub of yoghurt mixed with an equal amount of kefir – which I’ve already eaten. Lunch will be 3 grain porridge (oats, barley and rye) with milk and honey. Snacks are cherries and a banana if I need it. Dinner is the last of the leftover roast veg with a cup of beef and vegetable ragu. Plus the usual cups of tea and water.
    Needless to say, that with this much food it’s a NFD.

I’ve been struggling to drink enough water in this cold weather and I tend to have more cups of tea. Yesterday was the first day I included the water bottle in the picture and it was also the only day where I’ve actually drunk it all. SO maybe being accountable in photos does have an influence. I’ll continue to leave it in the photo in the hope that it will continue to influence me to drink more water.

Good luck to all the fasters.

Goodness, what a lot of posts to catch up on since only this time yesterday!

Welcome Bruce (Merry eventually shortens everyone’s name and I didn’t want to label you ‘Big’). I’m also in Perth. It doesn’t matter if you mention food on someone else’s FD. We’re here to learn how to embrace FDs with all their temptations.

Welcome TassieJane which might become TJ, not to be confused with LJ. Before I discovered 5:2, I was also an over-eater. I watched the ABC programme recommended by Cinque last week, “You Can’t Ask That” about eating disorders. I was never diagnosed with an eating disorder and found very little literature about over-eating over the years. This programme was no different – binge eating, bulimia, anorexia are always well-documented. Eating too much, in my case usually healthy foods, doesn’t seem to be classified as a disorder – yet I can always identify with much of what is said by those with a formal diagnosis. Anyway, my point is that, over time, 5:2 naturally shaped my portions and food desires without my even realising it. I made no conscious effort to change anything other than rigidly adhering to two FDs a week. After a year, I’d dropped 23kgs and several dress sizes. You can do it too.

Cinque, you’ve had a busy, social time. Thanks for the update on SIL. Are you continuing B2B? Penguin’s seems to be going well. I bet those home grown lettuce leaves taste like lettuce. Look forward to a B2B food photo. BTW, does doing B2B involve considerably less fasting hours than two separate FDs? Just thinking because a normal fast day ends sometime during the morning after. At that point, aren’t you already about 12-16 hours into your second FD? I don’t suppose I’m the first to make this realisation but I’d never thought about it before!

Merry, I liked your list of FD food, freshly prepared. Where do you buy seaweed snack food? I hope we’ll get more photos of food intake – it really brings it to life. People always ask me what FD food ‘looks like’. (P.S. Since starting this, LJ has posted another photo. Maybe we could publish a fasting picture book. So much easier than writing out recipes.) I liked your freezer shot too. Mine looks the same but it’s in tupperware.

CalifD, that was a wonderful thing that your DS did buying those worms!

There are other things I wanted to respond to but I’ve spent far too long on this, and time is not on my side.

Hello all. Hope everyone is travelling well. Went to Adelaide on the weekend to attend the footy showdown on Saturday night.

There’s good news and bad news from the trip.

Our team won..yay good news.

We ate at some amazing restaurants and i ate way too much yummy but not so healthy food…bad news for the scales.

I went shopping at the health food shops…good and bad news here because i bought so many things i cant buy at home but it cost me a small fortune.

Some of my food purchases were Cassava Flour,Red Miso, Kombucha, Pomegranate Molasses, MCT Oil, Yeast Flakes, Rye Flour and Himalayan Course Salt.

I was also stoked to find Collagen Powder, Pure Shea Butter and Pure Castile Soap.

I was like the kid in the candy store thats for sure. The fresh produce at the Central Market was divine and i am so jealous of those who have access to such a varied array of beautiful foods.

Unfortunately there was no point buying any fresh produce as we are only home for a few days before heading off to the Clare Valley for a long weekend….where we will undoubtedly eat too much and sample a few reds. There’s a pattern emerging here….lol

Were off to Qld for a week in mid September to attend a wedding so the month between this weekend and the Qld trip will be strict eating regimes indeed.

Im off to buy a food dehydrator this arvo, have been wanting one for awhile. It’s my 50th birthday pressy to myself.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,751 through 16,800 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.