Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,923 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 8 hours, 53 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,701 through 16,750 (of 28,027 total)

• ” The best choice you can make is to lose weight in a natural and healthy way.”
    & that is why we are doing 5:2 🙂

Hi everyone 🙂 sorry I have been m.i.a
    Work has been ridiculously busy for the last two weeks but even more so this week. I have done my B2B but not strictly this week. Just not eating during the day then having dinner (and beers) at night. Still under 700 calories Monday and under 1000 today.
    I am focusing on getting my work done and trying to get well again. For the last two weeks I have been feeling unwell. I have had cold sores which get better and then come back again and I also have had a new one come up on Sunday night. It is driving me a little nuts. I can’t sleep at night as I am conscious of their ‘activity’. It is gross and I am so over it. My skin has felt really dry also. I know it is probably just winter but it’s making me feel like crap, especially as work is so stressful at the moment.
    I weighed myself this morning and I am back down again. Let’s see what happens tomorrow.
    I never trust these scales anyway as they fluctuate so much. I realise that most of the time it is fluid retention or loss and the actual weight loss is the long term one. It has gone down permanently in the last three weeks and that is what I am counting on.
    I have been consciously trying to eat more legumes so I have just tried the konjac noodles again tonight. They are really yummy with a pasta sauce (I don’t know if the pasta sauce was so good because I was hungry or what, but it was one of the best ones I have ever made)
    So far so good with the noodles 😉

Hi, Quacka. I’m sorry that you have been feeling so unwell. I don’t get cold sores, but do get mouth ulcers from time to time when stressed and/or run down & have noticed them spreading the last few days. I think it’s time for me to take a multi-B again. I bought some konjac noodles today, but got the spaghetti ones & will give them another go, but maybe with a pasta sauce. How do you make yours? Like a bolognaise? I shouldn’t be asking right now as I am getting very hungry for the 1st time today. I have allowed cals to have 4 crackers with a little hummus, so perhaps I should just go have that now Do you do B2B most weeks?

Cate, if you can’t get along with the konjac, you could try using a Vegetti which makes ‘spaghetti’ from courgettes. It’s a good NFD option because it’s easy to feed OFMs the pasta while substituting the courgette for your own meal.

If I didn’t say so, I meant to say that I liked the wallpaper, LJ. I like the efficiency of the delivery time even better.

Cate & Quacka, something I discovered with trial and error was that removing all of the excess water from the konjac noodles was best when combining with a pasta sauce, otherwise they make the sauce watery.
    My method for doing this is to wash them well then tip them into a non stick frying pan on medium heat and move them around with a spatula. The water will evaporate off and eventually they develop a squeaky sound – that means they have lost their excess water. I takes a few minutes to get to this point. I do this also if I’m using them with stirfry.
    Also, when using konjac with pasta sauce I often do as Thin suggested and put zucchini and carrot through a spiraliser. I blanch them in boiling water and add them to the frying pan with the konjac to dry everything out together, then I add the sauce to these blended “noodles”. I have a little gadget that I twist to create the vegetable spaghetti strands, but I’ve noticed recently that some of the supermarkets are also selling the veggie spirals prepacked with the other bagged salads – mostly carrot or sweet potato spirals.

Quacka, I hope the cold sores clear up soon. Cate mentioned stress, and I think has an impact if your immune system is struggling to get on top of this virus. Some combination of the poor sleep and long days that you described may be contributing.

Thin, I used to be such a news junkie, but in the past 2 years I’ve found it saves a lot of angst to avoid watching most of it. And I definitely avoid Twitter. 🙄

I found a great light wrap or jacket at the op shop yesterday after I got my hair cut and colored. They were just putting it out, in fact in was hanging on a rack that they were using to distribute items to their proper category racks. At first it looked too big, but I picked it up anyway to try it with a pair of black skinny jeans I needed to try on. They both fit. The wrap looks a lot more sparkly in person and is very light weight. I probably should have taken the pic outside. The jeans, wrap and a small bracelet I found to go with it came to less than $14 for all including tax. A very successful op shopping day!

Front & back of the wrap: https://m.imgur.com/a/4NOzCZW

The bracelet: https://m.imgur.com/a/0hoEmCZ

@calif – both the wrap and the bracelet look cool and I like the “New Mexico” influence. So what colour is your hair now? For the first time in my life I am doing mine on Sunday at a friends place. She has ordered a variety of “manic panic” colours. I think mine is going to be a very deep purple with a bit of dark green and navy blue – as my hair is rather short, it’ll grow out quite fast (magic panic says it lasts for 40 washes) which means about 1 month.

Good morning,
    I’m fasting today, and planning to fast tomorrow too for my second go at back to back.

Merry, what an awful experience with that soup.
    Your Groundhog Days are numbered! Do you have a nice something planned to celebrate when you get to your normal weight?
    I make long rise bread, and a piece of that might work for the pastry, but it would be more hassle than I can think about at the moment. Maybe in the future….

I need to watch last night’s TV programs today, looking forward to them.

Don Dunstan would win my vote for best premier ever.

And I definitely turned on the news on Sunday night to see Lee Lin Chin’s final broadcast. Best newsreader ever.

LJoyce I cooked the adai in my cast iron frypan, and I think I should have given it longer to get beautifully hot right through, plus I think the mixture may have got easier with an hour of sitting (not sure though). The last ones were perfect.
    I saw this tip for preparing the pan and it worked well (eventually), I will always do it now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ly6zj1MJcc

Quacka, good luck building your health back up and getting rid of those coldsores, it is exhausting.
    Scales just do go up and down, even the most accurate ones. Looking at the trend over several weeks (months) is the trick so yay!

Congrats on that yummy pasta sauce, hope yours turns out wonderfully too, Cate.
    And that those mouth ulcers clear up.

Cali, what fabulous opshop finds! And just the thing as you are out and about with a fresh haircut.

Sybs, you will look gorgeous!

There is sun here! Cool but fine.
    Best wishes for your day, everyone.

@cinque – I might post a pic :-))

Thanks for the tips for the konjac noodles. I will give the pasta a try next week I think & I also have 1 soup in the freezer (1/3 of my soup from Mon). I had wanted to get one of those cheaper Veggettis but my husband insisted that we get a good quality mandoline. It was dangerous & I was too scared to use it. We ended up giving it to our younger son who is a chef & didn’t have one.
    I’m back taking Vit B to try to clear up the ulcers. I have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) & am super sensitive to fragrance & have to wear a mask in shops & mouth ulcers seem to be part of that. Sucking on Bisolvon lozenges for a dry cough when I go anywhere helps minimise reactions but may be causing the ulcers. I’m taking a multi B for a while & hopefully they’ll go away.
    I got a bit side-tracked there. Sorry about that.
    I am happy to report that the scales, after showing an increase of 1.5 kg yesterday, showed a drop of 1 kg today. I will not go near those scales until after my next FD next week.
    I woke up feeling great after B2B fast days & wasn’t really hungry, but ate a delicious breakfast of oat sourdough toast, avocado & egg. I was SO full!

CalifD, I was thinking that jacket had a Navajo influence but Sybs beat me to it with NM! Well done for your finds. Sybs, please do post that wild hair colour result.

Cinque, not having watched the news for so long, I’d no idea of LLC’s final broadcast. I wonder what she wore. Is she retiring or doing something else?

Merry, that sounds awful. I hope you’re soon on the mend.

Cate, see! You’ve been rewarded for your efforts. I bought my Vegetti on ebay at a fraction of the kitchen speciality shop prices and have found it very good.

Hello LJ and everyone else. Another guilty NFD Wednesday for me…..

Hi Everyone 🙂

Thank you for your good wishes regarding my feeling unwell.

I weighed myself this morning and despite my naughtiness over the last two days my weight is going down (slightly but down)

Cate, I made my pasta sauce just like a bolognaise but also added about a third of a can of four bean mix (well rinsed). I am trying to add legumes in wherever I can. I use lots of garlic,onion, tomato paste, canned tomato and a sploosh of red wine ;). I made this one with beef mince but I really like using turkey mince also.

LJoyce I actually made zoodles and mixed them in with the konjac noodles. I cook my zucchini noodles in a frying pan (tiny spray of oil) and at the last minute I added the konjac noodles to heat through. I find it stops the zoodles from getting watery so it probably does the same for the konjac noodles (koodles???) 😉

I have been doing B2B for a few weeks now and yes, I am going to keep doing it that way. It really works for me (well except this week when I have had a minor deviation LOL)As my weight is down this morning I have planned a very light lunch and a nice healthy dinner ( meat for zinc and maybe a four bean mix salad with tomato or just veggies, depending on how cold it is tonight)

Hope you get rid of your mouth ulcers Cate. That is another thing I get often (ssssh, body do not listen to me!)

Cali, nice op shop find!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying whatever you are doing. Bye for now xx

Thin, Lee Lin Chin resigned, so that she had more time to reread the entire works of Shakespeare and drink beer, she said! This is what she wore https://www.pedestrian.tv/content/uploads/2018/07/SBS-637×397.jpg
    Enjoy your non fast Wednesday Thin!

Sybs, I’d love to see a pic!

Cate, I’ve seen vegetti in opshops lately. Still in the box. But you can just slice zucchini into pasta dimensions. Carrots might be a bit harder, I’d end up with odd bits if I tried. But then, I’d be happy just cutting them up any way and having them with pasta sauce.
    So sorry to hear you live with MCS, I know people who do and it is so frustratingly limiting. When my ME/CFS was at its worst I was fairly limited, I couldn’t go down the laundry aisle in the supermarket for example, so I have a hint of what it is like.

Bye

@thin – there is no such thing as a “guilty NFD” – we all deserve our little treats – either sweet or savoury :-))

And there went my post into the ether to join Lindsay’s …….

Hilarious Cinque! I wonder if that choice of material for LLC’s dress was to enable the beer spills to be wiped off quickly. I was imagining something a lot more outrageous.

I’m sorry for your limitations Cinque and Cate. In my lost post, I rambled on about DD’s sensitivity to perfumes.

All the best Quacka. You’ve made good changes and are enjoying the benefits.

Sybs, it’s only a ‘guilty’ NFD because I’ve rigidly fasted on Wednesdays for nearly 4 years. I think 6:1 might be short-lived especially if I continue to eat as I have for the past two days.

Good Morning everyone,

Cinque – I had to look up adai. The recipe lost me at asofoetida. Watched the final of Masterchef last night and with all the contestants in a bunch it looked like a mini United Nations. I’ve only watched 2 other episodes so don’t know anything much about the contestants but Sashi was a worthy winner. I love all the multicultural food thing in Oz, but I don’t know a fraction of the names of dishes or ingredients.

Our favourite place to eat out is a tiny authentic Vietnamese lunch cafe where the food gets 5 stars from diners, and is quite cheaply priced. I always feel like I’ve eaten healthily, and the flavours are amazing. When the owner gets bored she closes up for a few days and tootles off to a festival or 2 with a food truck. Local legend. They occasionally bring out little freebies. The best was pomelo – a south eastern Asian giant citrus fruit like a giant pointy grapefruit that is delicious and has 38 cals/100 gms so fits well in my calorie range of fruits.

LJ, Sybs, Cate, Lindsay, Quacka and anyone I’ve missed – my apologies that I find it a challenge to keep up with everyone’s posts, but LJ said something that gave me a lightbulb moment, and I can’t remember who it was to.

Re: 5:2, 16:8, and no grains being a step of deprivation too far. This is how I live all the time. The 5:2, 16:8 because I’m not normally active and in my late 60’s now after 20yrs of ill health. The grain free thing is because I am allergic or intolerant to every grain except corn. Even rice is a problem if I have more than a very small amount. That said I do eat grains occasionally, but put up with the consequences. The light bulb moment was the ‘deprivation a step too far’ comment. Maybe this is part of why I have been yoyoing so much this year. The worst of the stessful things are gone but I’ve been susceptible to going backwards several times. My goal is still to be back at goal weight by the end of the year.

Check-in : 65.3kgs. 3.3kgs above goal weight of 62kgs.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Just put my weight into the tracker and the date said 1st August – so it’s Wattle Day today!
    Bring it on ; always beautiful to see the wattle everywhere; commiserations to those who get hayfever from those tiny little puffballs of yellow.

Yesterday was unfortunately rather uncontrolled, with constant snacking all afternoon. What has me mot perplexed is that I can’t figure out why, I’m not aware of anything that would have triggered this which makes it hard to learn the right lesson going forward. Today was planned as a FD so I’ll do that. I still feel bloated and uncomfortable.

Cinque & Thin, I did watch Lee Lin’s last broadcast and kept wondering how she got into that plastic top as it looked to me like a solid moulded object.

Cinque, thank you for the tip on preparing the cast iron skillet. I do usually start with the water and allow it to heat until the water has evaporated and the pan is starting to smoke, but I’ve never seen that trick with the onion – you would think the sugars in the onion would actually make the mixture stick.
    Were the adai nice, once you finally got to cook them without sticking?

Merry, I don’t like asofoetida either. I just use my creative license when cooking to omit it or to replace it with either some garlic or a spice I actually like. (I have some vego cookbooks written by a hari chrishna cook and he seems to use asofoetida where I would think garlic was more appropriate.)

Cate, I bought a “Betty Bossi” online for $30 a few years ago. It’s a small cylinder that you twist to create either spaghetti or fettuchini style strands from vegetables. https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Betty-Bossi-Vegetable-Twister
    I only use it occasionally as I mostly find konjac noodles more convenient.
    If you can find a potato peeler that peels thickly you can use this to create fettuchini style strands from vegetables – it’s easier to use than the other gadget and it’s a method that easier to use on a wider range of vegetables – they have to be a particular shape and size to fit into the spiraliser gadget.
    Also, I wouldn’t worry about getting side tracked – I go off on a tangent in my posts all the time and I never let it worry me – I haven’t been told off for doing it yet.

Cali, that was an opportune moment to venture into the op shop. Very nice purchases – did you get the skinny jeans too? I particularly like the design and colours in that bracelet – I have quite a few things that it would go perfectly with!

Quacka well done on the weight loss. I admire those of you who are able to do B2B, I find it so difficult.

Well it’s time I went to the gym to have another go at the program the exercise physiologist wrote for me.
    Have a good day everyone.

Sitting here at work trying to give myself a quick manicure between clients. No time before work – we had little Mr nearly 4 overnight, and he’s a powerhouse from the moment ‘it’s wake-up time’ leaves his lips. I hope the acetone overtones pass! Off tonight to see the Count Basie orchestra, so I’ll be trying to get out the door quickly. Every consultation this morning has been relatively straightforward – I’m hoping the next ones go the same way.
    I was shocked at the Canadian food list. A dear Canadian friend used to dream about putine – more the stuff of nightmares I think, now I’ve seen it.
    Merry what an awful burn….every swallow must have been agony til it healed.
    Penguin how can anyone confuse the nationality of their spouse? Some dark days in that household, I’d imagine.
    LJ purple suede shoes? You sound like a woman after my own heart. How could you bear to part with them.
    And catching up on the discussion about weight loss … Cate,those scales have the devil in them! I weigh daily but record weekly, after my second FD. Then I l compare, to see how I’m tracking. Although the weight fluctuates daily, there is steady downward progress over the week, which is what I’m looking for.
    Love the wallpaper LJ. And the wrap is a beautiful colour Calif.
    Here’s something amusing I heard on the way to work. …..a recommendation to add coconut oil to kale. The reason? It helps it slip into the bin easier.
    Enjoy your day all.

and another post disappears! perhaps because I went back and edited it?

Hi all. Im a week and a bit behind on posts so have only skimmmed through to catch up. Well giving up the red wine with our evening meals has done the trick, I’ve dropped 1.5kg in 10 days.

Have been suffering badly with hot flushes this week which is making me feel down. Getting through the day has become a struggle. Having trouble concentrating at work and generally have a ‘I just can’t be bothered’ attitude. Hoping this will improve soon.

Thanks, thin, Quacka, Cinque( I love saying that word. I just love the Italian language. ME/CFS would be awful. There are quite a few people in my allergy group who have MCS & ME & I can’t even imagine what their lives must be like), Merry (I can’t keep up either, but am trying) & LJ.
    I think I’ll just use my veggie peeler for now as I really don’t like having gadgets everywhere & I’ll make a bolognaise sauce with lots of veggies & freeze it. I’ll have it with konjac noodles & will try the pan frying method. I need to buy some venison mince I think. It is so lean & I buy it cheaply (only $5 a kg).
    I’m not sure if it’s doing the B2B, but I have been a bit dizzy today.
    G’day- hot flushes are horrible. I used to get them badly & am glad they’re in the distant past.

Lindsay, sorry to hear you are still having issues with disappearing posts. Can you copy and save them before posting? I do this when I’m using my laptop to post because I invariably go back in and edit – partly to fix typos and partly because new posts usually have arrived while I’ve been writing my own post and I don’t want to neglect anyone.

Cate, venison mince sounds lovely but where do you find it? I’ve never seen it here. The closest I can get to an ultra lean red meat that is in the butchers and supermarkets is kangaroo.

GDSA, I’m very glad to hear that giving up red wine has finally gotten those scales to shift – you deserve a reward for the sacrifice.
    If you can’t get the menopause symptoms under control it is worth having a HRT discussion with your GP. I had months of very broken sleep from night sweats. It starts to effect your health in other ways. I have not regretted using a HRT patch, although it did take a while to find the right hormone level for me.

Merry, I think that rebellion against many restrictions is a largely subconscious process. I think it not only applies to food, but also to frugality when we are trying to save as well. I think there is some level beyond which we are at risk of sabotaging our own efforts.

Cinque, I have a huge stock pot bubbling away with the Nigerian Red Bean stew in it. I also added some veg that weren’t in the original recipe because I didn’t want to always have to cook veg to go with it to make a complete meal. I added one finely diced potato, 2 sweet potatoes and 1/2 cup of peas. I have about 6 cups of cooked borlotti beans ready to be added along with the peanut paste.
    I was really unhappy with this packet of borlotti beans, when I soaked them many split open and shed their skins. Then when I cooked them those that had split turned to mush. Last time I made this stew I used adzuki beans so I might start using them from now on when I need a red bean as they kept their skins and shape.

This is an easy FD so far, probably because I’m still feeling the effects of yesterday’s overeating. I’ve had a small kefir smoothie and have pulled a container of mulligatawny soup from the freezer for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

LJ, I had to look up Asafetida spice. This is the first I’ve heard of it. But from this definition, it doesn’t sound very appetizing!
    “Asafetida (sometimes spelled Asafoetida)…A Little History!
    Native to Southwestern Asia. A little known spice outside of India, asafetida is the dried resin obtained from the rhizome of the giant fennel plant. Powdered asafetida has a strong odor, reminiscent of picked garlic. In most Indian cooking it is used as a flavor enhancer and once cooked releases an onion-like flavor. It is also known as devil’s dung, asant, food of the gods, jowani badian, stinking gum, hing, hengu, ingu, kayam, and ting.”

I haven’t made Cinque’s Nigerian Red Bean Stew in a while. (Cinque, LOVE that recipe!) I’ll have to make some again. I love that it’s so versatile for adding different veggies and ingredients. LJ, I agree about the adzuki beans. They’re the best I’ve used in that stew.

GDSA, hot flushes can be awful. Luckily when I was going through all that they happened almost exclusively late at night or early morning. Alcohol definitely triggered them for me. I didn’t use HRT because they never caused me too much trouble other than having to change night clothes during the night. I hope they pass soon for you.

Cate, if you’re feeling dizzy when fasting, be sure you’re drinking enough water and getting enough salt in your diet. Miso soup or just the broth is a quick way to add some. If you have a home blood pressure monitor, it wouldn’t hurt to check for low BP.

Merry, I’ve occasionally seen pomelo in the store but never tried it. Does it taste like grapefruit?

Lindsay, it seems like posts disappear for me when the page refreshes occasionally when I’m looking something up in another window. I’m usually posting on an iPad mini, and often type out the post in the Notes app and then copy and paste it here.

Thin, I’ve had some guilty NFDs too. The great Day after Halloween Candy Massacre from last year comes to mind…😝

Good morning,
    Part two of my B2B this week. I am rather liking it.

Lindsay

“Abracadabra dumble de dore
    Don’t lose Lindsay’s posts any more”

There, I have said a magic spell. That should fix it!

“Abracadabra dumble de deither
    Don’t lose any of Thin’s posts either”

So much love for that bean stew, but it deserves it.(So glad I didn’t leave an ingredient out!)

Merry, that Vietnamese cafe sounds just wonderful.

Indian food! Favourite topic! (eep on day two of fasting!)

I use Asafoetida (I call it hing), 🙂 it is one of those super umami tastes, like curry leaves on steroids. The first time I used it (I bought a block of resin and grated a tiny bit) I was a bit horrified by the pungent smell and it took days before the house stopped smelling of it (asafoetida means ‘devil’s dung’).
    It is used mostly by those groups (eg Jains) who don’t eat onions or garlic. It is also meant to help with flatulence.
    I have come to love it, just a little pinch in a recipe adds lovely complex savouriness.

I did see some adai recipes that have onion in them instead of hing. Yum! I make a rava dosa that has onion blended up with the grain and spices and it is so good! I might try that next time.

LJoyce, the onion wipe did seem to leave the pan so beautifully clean. Maybe just the right shape and juiciness?

Gday, (pardon if I have said this before) when I was getting an insane amount of hot flushes, my best trick was to have ice water and take a sip straight away.

Cate, I hope you had some nice seasoned soup and the dizziness went.

I watched the “You can’t ask that” episode on eating disorders last night. I just love how brave and honest the participants are. I was amazed at how much I could relate to the binge eaters, but so grateful that mine was(is?) not as bad. https://iview.abc.net.au/collection/you-cant-ask-that?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=Corp_TV%7cAdWords:you%20can%27t%20ask%20that_e_g_281803517719_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PCkyPjM3AIVBqyWCh2nOwb5EAAYASAAEgKdifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cali, Halloween is coming up again. Eep. What are you going to do this year? Can you avoid a massacre?
    I have realised that one thing with sugar might be that it dehydrates us too. Does anyone know? (Just looked it up. Google says yes, I bet that is part of my problem with it.)

Well, I have made a big pot of lemon and spice drink to help me through the day (without hives) and need to put things to soak for tonight’s soup.

Best wishes

PS There is a pomelo tree in Bendigo (my old home town), by the Chinese Museum, that was planted by the first Chinese settlers in the gold rush era.

Good morning SHs,

It’s the day after a FD and I’m finally in a better head space today. Not thinking about all the food I want to eat today, that makes a change. My main meal for the day has been OK as I plan that in advance but I’ve been a bit haphazard with the rest of the day. I think I need to plan that better too. Maybe a list of options would give me some boundaries without feeling too restrictive.

Something I noticed after Tuesday’s overindulgence was how uncomfortable I felt, and how much I hate the way my body looked with all that bloating. I’m hoping that I can use the positive way I feel when my weight is stable and I’m not bingeing to help me get back to a more effortless healthy eating pattern. I feel like I’ve been going around in circles with this issue since I moved house and I’ve not been getting anywhere. I haven’t dared weigh myself in the last few weeks, but I can tell from my clothing that I’ve probably regained all of the weight I lost so effortlessly in Jan-April while I was busy renovating my old house. I don’t mind settling back to my previous level as I was happy with that but I worry that I’ll just continue to gain more weight if I don’t change my behaviour on NFDs.

Cali & Cinque, I only bought asafoetida once. There was a cook called Kurma Dasa who did a TV cooking show here on SBS in the 1990s. As this was at the time that I decided to stop eating meat & poultry I bought his cookbooks. Almost every savoury recipe in his books has asafoetida in it. I quickly decided that I didn’t like it and changed it for flavourings I do like (most of the time garlic was actually the best substitute because he never used that in his recipes). I think the worst part of it was the smell, which I found quite unpleasant.
    For many years Chilli con carne used to be my favourite legume based stew, but Cinque’s Nigerian Red Bean Stew is better – I think it’s the peanut paste which I’m very generous with when stirring it in to thicken the stew.

Arel, we haven’t heard from you for a while, are you ok?

Lindsay, something I just remembered from my restricted carb days was the importance of water intake. I was doing a meal replacement program at the time and all of the literature stressed that when reducing carbs you must have at least 2 litres of water a day. I was in a support group with other morbidly obese people who were trying to lose a lot of weight at the time, so I got to compare notes on our experiences. We all noticed that if we weren’t drinking the water our weight loss slowed down. As you’ve mentioned a very slow weight loss rate I thought it might be something worth checking.

I have a day of medical appointments and lots of driving today which should keep me well away from food.

Hope you all have a good day.

Morning all.
    Cinque you made me laugh out loud. And LJ, I’ll copy every post from now on. I can’t keep on repeating myself (although my kids say I do it all the time).
    The Count Basie orchestra last night, and my black dress was very fine, but the red shoes had to be substituted when I put a thumb through my pale tights. I looked quite Mini Mouse when I tried the shoes on with the only other pair of tights I had (black). A great performance (by the orchestra, I mean).
    My blood sugar was on the right side of 5 this morning – despite 3 glasses of red wine last night. And my weight was down too, by half a kilo. It was my 3rd FD of the week (Monday wasn’t meant to be, but I was ill, so stopped eating after only one meal at 1pm), then B2B Tuesday and Wednesday. Despite the wine, I still stayed around the 500 I think, with fish and vegetables before we went out. My OH was shocked when I offered him dinner at 4.30. ‘Tricare hours’ was his response!
    LH thanks for the tip re water – I am guilty of not drinking enough. I usually grab a mug of tea (French Earl Grey, or green) when I get to work, and just top it up with hot water between consultations, but I guess there’s caffeine in it still. I’ll work on my water intake.
    Calif loved the wrap, and Sybs, your hair will look divine
    re pomelo trees – near where we stay in Hoi An, there’s a traditional Vietnamese house with a beautiful pomelo tree in the front garden, which always seems to be laden with fruit. I found a pomelo in a specialist nursery and have it in a large pot in my courtyard. It flowers profusely (beautiful scent) but is yet to set fruit.
    Enjoy your day all

LJ- Are you in Tassie? We used to get it via a golfing friend, who we rarely see any more, but I have the phone number of the fellow he bought it off & I need to ring him & order some. It is legal apparently. I haven’t seen it in supermarkets or butchers.
    Hope your FD goes well.
    Cali & Cinque- I felt better after lunch, which was quite salty. I had better keep an eye on my BP as my meds have been changed.

LJ, I also associate asafoetida with the TV show ‘Cooking With Kurma’. He was a softly spoken soul and used the word ‘lovely’ to precede almost all ingredients so he would say ‘next we add our lovely asafoetida’. That’s when I first bought it and, after that, I noticed it appearing in recipes in my many Indian cook books. It doesn’t take much as Cinque says. I don’t mind it, at least I didn’t until I read CalifD’s description.

LJ, you’ve managed to convey in your post what’s been happening in such an honest way as always. When I struggled with food, I found I could also easily intellectualise why I over ate but was never able to do anything about it on a more emotional level. I wish we could have a chat over a pot of tea. I have noticed your recent issues started when you moved. Although you made it all sound effortless, moving is one of life’s high stress events, like divorce (so I’ve read).

Would it help if you went over some of your detailed diaries from before to get you back into the right space? You’ve come so far and achieved so much. Can you stop buying the offending foods or perhaps limit them to one day a week instead of trying to place too many controls on NFDs? You don’t want to get back to where you were. No food is worth that angst. It’s a work in progress requiring constant vigilance for life, I really identify with you. You can do this, I know you can.

Cinque, I loved your post. I keep meaning to watch that programme about eating disorders. Good luck with your B2B.

CalifD, I usually lose a post when I return to edit one already posted. Sometimes, it says I’m not signed in when I thought I was. Yesterday’s disappeared for no reason at all. I highlight/copy before pressing submit when I remember so at least I can paste it back in. The other times I think it’s natural selection – the thread telling me I have rambled too much.

CalifD, I remember your post-Halloween binge. Time has flown since then!

P.S. Morning Lindsay and Cate, we were all writing together.

Lindsay, most of us have had the experience of losing posts. After it happened a few times to I started highlighting what I’d written and copying it, just in case. I found it was only an issue on the the long posts that took a long time to write, although lately (touch wood) it hasn’t been happening.
    I am also a tea drinker and have a bad habit of drinking tea instead of water. Although I think weak green tea without milk does count as part of the 2 litres.
    I can understand wanting dinner at 4:30. Some FDs I struggle to get to a reasonable hour before wanting my dinner. I aim to eat no earlier than 5pm but there are days when I’m counting down the minutes.

Sybs, I hope you’ll let us know how the “manic panic” hair colours turn out – are you still having them done on Sunday? Just reading your description of them and imagining them in my own hair created something of a manic panic – I don’t think I’d ever be brave enough for that.

Cate, no I’m not in Tassie, I’m in South Australia – about 12km SW of Adelaide CBD. I used to live in the Adelaide Hills until recently, but just moved here 2 months ago.

Thin, having been through a divorce as well I can definitely say it was worse than moving house, and I was one of the lucky ones who parted on good terms with their ex. Both were stressful but only divorce came with and intense sadness that took time to move on from.

Thankyou for the pep talk. I definitely don’t want to get back to where I was, I never want to be obese or have to deal with that “obese” label again. That was a key issue that created some panic for me over the last couple of days, knowing I needed to change but not quite sure how to accomplish it successfully.

I started thinking about what is different living here and how it might be contributing to my changed eating patterns.

I know that the amount of baking that I’m doing now isn’t helping – I have so much more contact with family, friends and new neighbours living here. I try to get most of the baking out of the house but there always seems to be some frozen muffins that are only a microwave away from snacking on. I considered throwing them away but then I worry about what if someone calls in unexpectedly, I won’t have any thing to offer them.

I know that when I was renovating my previous house and I didn’t have to be at all careful about what I ate didn’t help. I slipped into eating larger serves and higher calorie foods that I’d normally avoid. I easily got away with it when I was working on the house and garden all day, but the most activity I have here is a one hour walk or a fairly moderate gym session. I can’t afford to keep those higher calorie foods in my diet now but I’m struggling to eliminate them.

I’ve also noticed that living so close to a huge shopping centre with one large area devoted entirely to food has changed my behaviour a bit. It’s not so much that I’m eating at cafes more, but I often seem to come home from an errand to the shopping centre with food that looked appealing. Where I lived before there were a couple of small supermarkets and then specialty shops like bakeries, chocolatiers etc were scattered throughout the town – I had to make a deliberate effort to go to them. Now I feel like I’m running the gauntlet of temptation every time I head to the shops. I can’t avoid it as I need the banks, the post office, the Telstra shop, the newsagent etc. I might need to consider coming into the shopping centre from another entrance that is away from most of the food shops when I’m there for a purpose other than grocery shopping.

The other thing I’ve not been doing well lately is eating mindfully. It’s so easy to overeat when I don’t pay attention to the food that’s going into my mouth and enjoy each bite. Too often I gulp down the first one and then want another because I barely tasted the first.

I will reread my food diaries. They always help to remind me how far I’ve come from the frequent bingeing that used to be my nemesis – these days it shocks me when it happens because it’s rare. The diaries will also help remind me just what foods I regularly needed to eat to maintain a sensible weight.

By the way Thin, I never took a lost post as a hint that I’d written too much 😀 I just tried to remember everything I’d written and recreate it.

Well it’s time for me to squeeze in my daily walk before I have to head off to appointments.

Thin and LJoyce, I think a lot of our habits such as eating habits, live in our homes. We leave some of those habits behind in the old house. It’s easier to change a habit in a new place, for lots of reasons. Your new shoppng Center with the convenience of buying lots of different foods in one place sounds like a big contributor. Having family and new friends living closer probably also contributes. But you haven’t been there very long. I bet you could change some of those eating habits around. Create new healthy habits to go with your beautiful new home.

I have trouble in large grocery stores too, because there are so many things that look good that I don’t really need. Eye candy.

Cinque, this Halloween instead of buying a kilo or more of candy for the 5 or 6 kids who brave our steep driveway to make it to the front door, I’ll buy only 6 treats. 😁

Sybs, you are so brave to try the manic panic hair colors. I’ve been tempted a few times to add a blue or purple streak, but not the whole thing. My hair is blond again now with a few darker lowlights rather than the platinum/white color it was growing out to be.

@cinque – where do you buy hing? I am used to horrible smelling ingredients from Indonesia and Malaysia, there it’s belachan (shrimp paste), but the flavour it creates in the food is glorious!

if I remember, and if the subject interests me, I try to watch “you can’t ask that” – all I can say about last night’s program is that I am incredibly grateful that I have never suffered from an eating disorder – it was really difficult to watch the pain the participants went through, and the constant battles they are fighting.

@ljoyce and others – here is a link to the manic panic hair colours https://www.instagram.com/manicpanicnyc/ :-)) I am not brave at all, that’s why it’s the first time in my long life that I am adding colour to my hair this Sunday – I just feel like doing something crazy! maybe that’s what 5:2 does to people??

I hope every one has a wonderful 5:2 day

LJ, after writing all that, it sounds like you have acknowledged many of the reasons for your recently changed eating habits. My only comment on all that you wrote is that it is not incumbent on you to have snacks available for anyone who might pop in, announced or not. Anyone coming here knows full well that there will be no packets of biscuits, let alone home baked goodies. They are happy with cups of tea and I am happy because I know they’ve come for the company, not the potential food value. Having those items constantly available for others and being subject to temptation when you don’t actually want to be eating them yourself seems inherently unfair.

People of course all react to life events in very different ways. Some of life’s other major stressful events are retirement, chronic illness, death of a loved one (obviously), death of a pet and so on. For someone like Penguin who’s moved numerous times, moving house is probably something taken in their stride.

CalifD, good strategy for Halloween!

Sybs, I adore purple as a colour but not enough to put in my hair. Looking forward to hearing how your colourful adventure goes though.

Thin, you are right about the baked things. What I don’t understand is why the freezer no longer protects me. In my previous house it wasn’t uncommon for me to have a few muffins in the freezer and they were perfectly safe from me – it was very rare that I’d thaw one unless I had guests. I’m wondering if it’s because I have guests much more often now so I’m eating these sugary things more and I’ve stopped thinking of them as occasional treats but have come to expect them regularly.
    I had to go to the shopping centre this morning to get a birthday card and I realised something else. Where I used to live had minimal services other than the basic retailers, a few banks and quite a few cafes. If I wanted services I either needed to go to the CBD or one of the major suburban centres. The suburban centre I used to go to is the one that is now just around the corner. When I used to go there occasionally I made sure it was a NFD and in addition to the shopping and errands I would treat myself to lunch or afternoon tea. I suspect that somewhere in my thinking is an association between what is now my local shopping centre and an expectation of food treats every time I show up there. That might have been ok when it was every 2-3 months and 2-3 times a week, which is how often I seem to go now.
    It’s been good to discuss this on the forum as writing it out always helps my thinking – I always end up with more realisations about what is going on with my eating and thinking patterns that I understood before. Thanks for taking the time to hash this out with me.

Cinque, The microwave has just beeped, so dinner’s ready. I’m just about to tuck into my first bowl of the Nigerian Bean Stew with some Kale sprouts and mushrooms on the side. It looks so inviting and I’m hoping the fact that I left it in the fridge overnight meas the flavours will be even better developed.

Enjoy dinner everyone.

Enjoy that meal LJoyce.

I have been reading posts through the day, and the main response I had to yours LJoyce was…. well, the main response was sympathy and an appreciation of the big change you have gone through.
    But the next mainest ( 😉 ) response was the same as Thin. No-one who pops in here gets anything but a cuppa, and that is fine. Infact, I think of it as a gift to them NOT to provide a sweet snack.
    If it is a planned get together I might have something!

I am sorry your freezer has lost its power over your food, I wonder if you can train it back up? All power to your sorting it all out. I love Cali’s perspective that it is an opportunity to build up new habits. You will love them once you have them sorted out.

Also, every time I moved house my chronic illness got much worse. It was the worst thing I could do to myself, and I did it 5 times while ill before I got here. Stress and physically demanding.

Sybs, we are lucky that there is a good Indian population around here, so there are several Indian shops. I am not sure how easy the blocks of resin are to find, and after a few years of grating bits off it, I ground the whole thing up and put it in a little jar with a bit of cornflour to stop it clumping. It is well over a decade and it is still as pungent (or nearly) as ever. (It is usually sold ground up with a bit of added cornflour to stop it clumping)
    It is a bit like vegetarian balachan!

I remember Cooking with Kurma! TV shows and recipe books. Very 90’s.

Cali, I bet you buy 6 gorgeous treats!

Lindsay your night out sounds fab. The music would be just wonderful. Yay black dress! Pity about the red shoes, but they will have their chance.
    Cheers for that 500g down, and how lovely to have your own pomelo tree.

I’ve also spent the day drinking lots. I realise I had let myself get dehydrated enough that I was just dragging myself through the days. Such a relief I have worked it out, and it is cheap and easy to fix (if I only keep remembering to have another drink). Don’t worry too much about a bit of caffeine, it is a weak diuretic, and you gain way more fluid from drinking a cup of tea, or even coffee, than you lose.

Cate, good luck with your new BP meds, keep stable! I was learning Italian, and ‘cinque’ was my favourite word, when I registered here 🙂

Time for miso soup!

Lindsay, yesterday’s lost post came through! https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/335/#post-262009

Ha for the joke, and I am glad you survived Mr 4 ok.

Cinque, thanks for letting us know that Lindsay’s lost post has been found.

Lindsay, unfortunately the purple suede shoes went the way of all of my heeled shoes. I had many lovely pairs of shoes when I developed rheumatoid arthritis. I soon realised the only shoes that didn’t cause intense pain in all of my toe joints were boring, and largely ugly, wide othopaedic shoes. With great regret I sent all of my beloved heels to the charity shop for resale. I trust someone else gained immense joy from them.

Cinque, are you still learning Italian? I’m pleased that you seem to have found a place to live that you love and with nice neighbours by the sound of it. I’m sorry for the hassles you must endure in your life. You don’t deserve it. I have moved continents twice but I didn’t own much stuff then. The prospect of leaving this house seems daunting despite my daily effort at downsizing.

LJ, I am very pleased to hash it out with you! I have great faith in you. I did also want to say what Cinque said – but sometimes I feel I am coming over as too bossy – but that, as far as your rellies go, you’re the food matriach to whom they should all be looking up and following your fine example. You’re the one who happily orders a pot of tea while they have brunch, right? As for the new neighbours and friends, you’ll be doing them a favour too setting a great example and, hopefully, getting them all acquainted with 5:2. You can show off your kitchen prowess in other ways.

I wanted to respond to others’ posts but have become distracted by events surrounding DD’s car croaking while on her final prac down south this week. Another of life’s little annoyances but it could have been worse if it had happened en route rather than while down there. Anyway, we shall embark on a 6-7 hour drive tomorrow to collect her in time for her Saturday job followed by a separate trip to tow the car at the weekend (because it will be too dangerous to tow a car on our country roads in the dark with heavy rain forecast).

I’ll have to catch up later. Have fun everyone, the conversation is interesting.

Hi everyone, just checking in.

It’s been a while since my last post – so sorry. Just flicked through recent posts – thank you LJoyce for thinking of me.

I hope to get back on track this month – July was not a very good month and I’m still emotional at times with my grief! Especially in the last couple of days – hard to accept the reality of losing someone so special! I know I’ll be ok, and most times I am.

It’s always so good to read all your interesting posts – enjoy each one!

Getting late (10.07pm), time for bed. Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Hi everyone,

FD for me today – hope all the Thursday fasters have had a good FD, and happy FD for the Fridays fasters for tomorrow.

LJ – hmmm – we’ve been living and fasting with you during this final phase of your weight normalisation, and we’re not about to let you face this challenge on your own. You can do this, you’ve just been thrown off course a bit by your move – something which would challenge anyone.

You were already starting to gear up for your house when you came here and took on 5:2, if I remember correctly. So your whole journey of this phase of your normalisation has been tied in with your very focussed efforts on your house and yard, and we’ve all watched in awe as you’ve single handedly done the preparation and sale on your own, purchased a new home and moved in.

So, it’s no wonder that now that that phase has finished, and your 5:2 is not tied to all that activity and focus, that you’re having to look at 5:2 anew. We all would in your situation. Your strategies that worked fitted into a particular situation. Give yourself a break LJ. You’re not weakwilled at all. You’re a very focussed, hardworking, detail oriented, intelligent problem solver. You’ll solve this too.

Put that analytical brain of yours to the challenge, and dismiss or ignore the feelings. Feelings aren’t facts.

1. You need some sort of physical programme to replace the physical work you were doing in the house – not just walking, but replacing the physical bodily movements of various sorts that you’re now missing.

2. You’re a baker. You love doing it, but you know there are dangers in that. So how can you bake and not eat? I agree with Thin and Cinque. There are no cakes or biscuits in my house, not even in the freezer(if there was I’d eat it – frozen cake – all the better cos it lasts longer). If someone comes they will mostly get what’s in the cupboard – it might be some dried apricots and walnuts, or crackers and tomato slices possibly a bit of cheese if there’s some in the fridge, or strawberries or other fruit. Also they don’t get offered beer or wine, it’s coffee or tea. Back to baking – right now you can’t handle having muffins etc in the freezer – so, how can you still bake but not have any there. Get thinking eg is there a local programme for the homeless or something where you could donate your baking. Think laterally.

3. You’ve downsized, so you simply don’t have as much land or house as you had before, so not as much to keep you busy. How to put something in place in that time that is now freed up. What could you do to keep busy.

4. Shopping has changed hugely. Again, go a bit easier on yourself. When we move, or have some other sort of major change, we all go through some adapting, and that includes exploring your new area, finding what’s there, and learning what works for us in a new environment. Ok, so you’ve been doing that, and now you’re ready to work out a proper programme of operating around more, and more accessible shops. Going there often isn’t working. So what would work. Pick 1 day/week, or 1 day/fortnight, and do your shopping then, go through the other entrance. Give yourself say, a lunch there 1/month. If you’re not handling the big shopping centre then stay away from it, to break any bad habits that might be creeping in. You could always go to a shop a few suburbs away, and do that for awhile till you get more comfortable with the idea of having everything close by.

Put that formidable brain of yours to the problem. Reduce it to maths if you need to e.g. x hrs per day working on house and garden need replacing.

I have every confidence in you that you’ll get through this stronger than before.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi Arelkade- so good to hear from you.

It’s a sad time for you, learning how to keep moving through the days, weeks, months ahead. It’s OK to cry when you want to. We all go through grief in our own way. These are still fairly early days where we can feel guilty for smilng, laughing, enjoying something, but that’s OK and normal too. Be gentle with yourself and remember your brother with joy, and with talking with your family or whoever you need to talk with. Take care, we’re all thinking of you.

Sending you a hug,
    Merry

Arel, so sorry to hear that your grief is still so challenging. I’m hoping you get to a point soon where your memories give you comfort instead. I’m going to add my hug to Merry’s. We thinking of you.

Merry, thankyou so much for the advice and pep talk. It really does help to work through suggestions and see what insights they give me.
    I like the idea of just not having baking in the house for a while until I feel better able to cope with things hidden in the freezer as easily as I did before.
    I’ll have good think about the rest of your suggestions. I’ve had ideas rolling around in my head all day. That’s what seems to happen when I start discussing a problem.

I’ll add my goodnight to Arel’s, time for bed now.

Arel, it’s good to see you here. These are difficult days for you with your brother’s passing so recent. Time does help to heal. Know that all of us here are thinking of you. I’m adding another hug to Merry and LJ’s.

Thin, sorryto hear about DD’s car. It must be the weeks for that. My sister just had a major tuneup a week ago on her car with a couple extra things that needed to be fixed. Then 2 days ago she discovered a seriously low tire. It turned out that she had a nail in it. Her other tires were getting pretty worn too, so she replaced them all. Cars can be expensive!

Cinque, I have to remind myself to drink more on some days. It’s easy to get dehydrated when you’re not eating a lot.

There were a couple fires relatively close to here yesterday. Not really close enough to be a danger to this house, but stressful nonetheless. I love the summer, but in recent years it’s been bringing a lot of worry with the high temps and dry conditions. I will be kind of relieved to see mid-September arrive.

Good morning,
    Isn’t it funny how thoughts come to you after days. This mornings one was “LJoyce’s kefir splashed all over her NEW KITCHEN!”

Good luck on your long drive today Thin. I bet you make it fun, and it will surely be beautiful. Poor little car!
    And sympathy to your sister too, Cali.
    Oh dear, things often come in threes so I do hope my little car is okay!

Arelkade, thinking of you and remembering that when my brother died (many years ago) it felt like part of the sky had been torn out, and it took such a long time to feel it was mended. I can still see the seam. It can take weeks or months to start functioning again. It is right for it to take a long time, just harsh that the world keeps moving at its usual pace around us. I hope your family are bringing you comfort.

Well my two day fast is over, and I think it will be my new thing. I am finding it easier because gearing up to a fast day is enough work for me to be glad to only do it once a week. And moving from fasting back into normal eating has also been a bit of an issue. More of an issue in maintenance than when I was losing weight, come to think of it.

As well as concentrating on lots of fluids, my new trick is to think about the size of the food I want to eat today. I mean the whole days food, but imagining it all the table together. My problem is that if it is open ended I add second helpings and snacks. I will try it and see if I rail against the restriction or not.

Adai for breakfast again, I had left over mixture. They are cooking well this morning (10 minutes warming up the cast iron frypan).

Cali, hope those fires are contained quickly. I see 100 Aussie firefighters are heading over your way to help.
    I get dehydrated any days, I’m afraid. I don’t know if it is the ME/CFS or I have undiagnosed diabetes or what but I need a lot more fluid than average. I am constantly battling with chronic dehydration. Sigh. But I am doing well at the moment.

Thin, I gave up learning Italian and have been dithering about trying again, or having a go at Japanese, which is my daughter’s love, or something else. When I mentioned it last night, it did make me want to learn it again!

Ciao everyone!

Hi everyone!
    Special thank you to Merryme, LJoyce. CalifD, Cinque for your lovely words and hugs – it has been difficult trying to come to terms with Barry’s passing, I have been and will be emotional, I do feel as if part of my heart has been ripped out and will never be the same again! I do get comfort from all your comments, especially your understanding – I don’t wish to dwell on what has happened. Thank you for your kindness.

It’s now time to start being kind to myself – get back on track, reread the IF book as needed and know in my heart that this WOL gives me the health, and so the wellbeing to take on life’s challenges.

I’d like to share a super big group hug with each and every one of you. We are all in this together!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now! xx

Arel- I’m only new & haven’t got to know you at all. I just wanted to send you a hug from me too. Today is the 13th anniversary of my sister’s death. We were very close & I will always miss her, but now I am left with a warm feeling of love & I smile whenever I think of her.
    What a lovely place this is. Such warm, caring & supportive people. I’m glad I found my way back to this forum.
    Looking forward to my next fast. The only thing with B2B is the wait until the next FD.

Great reading everyone! Loved your post Merry, I could imagine us sitting in a cafe chatting to LJ about all this with her.

Cinque, you’ve found a great new balance with B2B. Who’d have thought? For me on 6:1, the days between fasting are endless and the balance just doesn’t seem right. But this morning I lost a little weight from yesterday. I have read that thin people self-regulate when they feel they have over-eaten. After over-indulging on Monday and Tuesday, I found I easily resisted temptation over the next two days. So maybe there’s truth to it. I am a slim person. Yippee.

Arel, thanks for posting, it’s good to hear from you. I was a child when my brother died. I remember family members praising me for not crying during the funeral and commenting on how brave I’d been. I was learning the British stiff upper lip. 50 years on, my advice would be to cry a lot and embrace every emotion that arises. Dying is a natural part of life’s process and I think it’s good to express your feelings for as long as you need to grieve. Thinking of you. Look after yourself.

CalifD, those wildfires are becoming a reality every year now, aren’t they? Stay safe. I hope your sister gets her car roadworthy. Cars are so much more reliable than decades ago; I hadn’t considered the possibility of a serious malfunction. But OH can fix it saving thousands so he wants to bring it back to Perth on a car carrier. Everyone seems so friendly in the small towns down south. DD had in the previous week treated one of the mechanic’s cows!

Cinque, thanks for suggesting that we make the road trip fun! Good idea.

Good morning everyone.

It’s a NFD for me which I’m hopeful will be as good as yesterday.

Thin, have a safe drive to collect your daughter. I assume if you are towing a car carrier it will be a slow journey – hopefully you’ll have good scenery.
    With Cali’s sister’s experience I hope this kind of trouble doesn’t come in threes as my car is booked in for a major service next Tuesday.

Cali, I really hope those fires don’t get any closer. Even if you aren’t in an evacuation zone it’s hard to stop worrying that a change of wind direction will increase your risk. I hope this eases off soon as you definitely don’t need any more stress to deal with.

Arel, being kind to yourself is exactly what you need right now. I hope rereading MMs book will help you step gradually back into 5:2. You’ll know when you are ready.

Cinque did you ever try 6:1? When reading your comments about the difficulty of moving from fasting back into normal eating it did occur to me that the 6:1 approach that Thin is currently excelling at might be another option for you to consider or trial.

It sounds like everyone is having a go at learning a new language. It’s something I’ve considered doing to. I was thinking of trying to coordinate travel plans with some suitable language language studies.

The awful food day that I had on Tuesday seemed to be the last straw for me and I feel as if I’ve mentally turned a corner. I think hashing out the issues here and getting so much good advice and support helps a lot.
    My mental resolve to makes the necessary changes feels very strong and I’m hopeful it will last long enough for me to get better eating patterns embedded.

Cinque I was struck by your idea of imagining the day’s food all laid out together on the table. I know if I saw everything I ate Tuesday piled together I’d be horrified. I like this idea as it quickly shows me whether the portions and food balance for the day is right. It does mean I need to plan my days better, but I don’t mind doing that.

I’m on the second of 3 NFDs and am feeling confident that I can eat what I’ve planned rather than adding in the impromptu snacking that I’ve been guilty of lately.

I hope you all have a lovely day.
    I’ll be spending my day mostly at home as my roll of wallpaper is being delivered today and the courier has advised that I must be here to sign for it.
    As I’m not sure that I’ll get to go for a walk I’ve kept a rare gardening job for today – shoveling a large pile of wood chips into bags so that I can give them to a friend who can use them. This is the remainder of the tree that was removed – the remaining trunk and roots were minced into tiny wood chips.

Viewing 50 posts - 16,701 through 16,750 (of 28,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply.