Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 hour, 2 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,901 through 15,950 (of 28,021 total)

• Thanks Sim. I’m not worried about the weight – it will go.

Ramadan starts next week. I am not of that faith but I have had a look at the dietary restrictions. In essence it is a form of time restricted eating such as we have discussed on other groups of this site – everything within 7 or 8 hours, just a very different 8 hours. What is interesting is that all of the sites discussing it emphasise the health advantages and there seems to be a strong social community aspect to the way it works. It makes skipping breakfast look like an easy option.

Cinque – 31C tomorrow! I’m sure this is a record. Lindsay, I’ve put my leather boots away again.

Wow Thin, what a difference between west and east!
    And isn’t it a nice little feeling to be slimmer than the people we were once fatter than. I feel it too. Not schadenfreude exactly, but some interesting language probably has a word for it.

LJoyce, I hope the door is looking good this morning, how irritating to have a last job to do, but what a wonderful conscientious person you are. The people who bought your home are very lucky.

Syb, I agree about the NFDs being longer and trickier to get a handle on. That first focus on Fast Days is so interesting and a bit of moving and changing and finding out what works best. But soon they start rolling nicely along… and there are the Non Fast Days, like an old attic piled with junk that we need to get sorted and live in. I got my Fast Days pretty well sorted two years ago. Still working on the Non Fast Days.

And full fat things! I was a wholefoods alternative type when those recommendations came in and turned my nose up at the idea. Even milk, because when we had a cow we weren’t making butter, and then it was goats. Had a try of margarine too and never again. Yuk. (Although I went through a stage where I processed butter with olive oil to make a spreadable mix).
    I’d rather have a smaller amount of something delicious than more of something I didn’t like as much, and I never liked the low fat options.

LJoyce, I am like you with the Mediterranean diet. I have never eaten much fish and while I am willing to try it is so expensive and either full of mercury, or being fished to extinction, or both. I was glad to see in Dr Mosley’s run down that he said minimal meat and fish. So let’s do it that way. šŸ˜‰

My fast day did wizz past Thin, and now look! Another one tomorrow!

Special good wishes to all the SH members and relatives who are dealing with health issues. Hoping so much that everyone is improving.

I’ve been making vegan red kidney bean dip while I have been writing (if I sound a bit distracted, I am. Getting ready for a big day going to my great niece’s first birthday party). Must head off soon.

Cheers all

Morning Cinque. I’ll be fasting with you tomorrow. DD has asked to spend time with me in the morning celebrating Mothers’ Day, but it won’t be with food. Merry, you’ll be amused to learn that she’s been invited to an ESC party in the evening to watch the final. I found out that 31C is not a record for May; it has reached 34C in the past. There’s an eery stillness because the wind isn’t blowing. Time to enjoy the garden.

Good morning SHs, I’m typing standing up this morning, with my laptop on the kitchen bench. My lower back gets sore quickly when I sit down so I’m doing my best to avoid it where possible.

Cinque, enjoy that first birthday party.
    Good to know we can do the meditteranean diet with less meat & fish. I’m happy to replace my fish meals with more legumes. I do take fish oil every day but I know supplements are never the same as the whole food. You are right about the price, but I wouldn’t mind paying for a small portion weekly if I liked the taste more.

Thin, I don’t know where your weather is coming from at the moment. We are told that the icy wind here is coming straight from antactica. Maybe yours is coming via the Bahamas! Enjoy that last bit of warm weather.

Cali, I hope you are managing your current health issues and feeling like you are making progress toward a calmer life.

Joffy, I hope you found it easy to get back into the pattern of FDs.
    It’s quite likely that the rheumatologist will be able to stop the steroid once the rheumatoid treatment drugs starts to work. That should help stop the weight gain that steroids always seem to cause. Once you find the right treatment drug life improves a lot. It’s always amazed me just how much difference an effective treatment can make, so stay positive.

Penguin, I hope they have found the right antibiotic and your wife’s condition is improving. The weight gain is not a surprise – worry will do that to you.
    I agree that it can be useful to look at other traditions, like ramadan and see if it offers something useful to our own lives. I come from a protestant tradition that doesn’t do sacrifices for lent, but was made aware of that practice when I was married, as some of my ex-husband’s family were catholic. For a number of years I’ve adopted a sacrifice for lent, not for religious reasons but just for self improvement. It’s a long enough period of time to establish a new pattern of behaviour.

Arel, I got a bit behind with posts and only just saw your post about the change in your brother’s treatment. I imagine it must be even more frustrating when you have medical knowledge yourself and can see things they aren’t doing. I really hope the change in doctors and the new tests help your brother on the road to recovery.

I’ve enjoyed everyone’s Eurovision discussion. I was only vaguely aware of it prior to SBS starting to screen it, so I don’t remember the earlier competitions. I guess I see it as a bit of fun with maybe a couple of reasonable songs thrown in. There’s usually one or two song I like enough to buy on itunes – but it’s never the winner. Last year I bought “City Lights” by Blanche (Belguim) and “Beautiful Mess” by Kristian Kostov (Bulgaria). The year before I only bought the dance track that Spain entered “Say Yay!” by Barei. My taste always seems to vary from the popular – I never seem to like the books that get good reviews either. Maybe I just like being contrary.

I’m trying not to worry at the moment, but not really succeeding. The buyers were meant to have their finance in place by yesterday, but they haven’t. I was going to spend the weekend packing. Instead I have to put the house back into open inspection mode because their lender is sending a valuer on Monday morning. I suspect the delay is because they want to borrow over 90% of the purchase price and the lender needs to be sure that they’d get their money back. My conveyancer and agent are both behaving as if the contract will proceed without a problem but I won’t feel reassured until I know they have the money in place. As my purchase is conditional on the sale of my current house, if they don’t get finance then both contracts will fall through. That’s not a prospect I want to deal with. But I can’t control that, all I can do is make the house look as “valuable” as possible and hope their valuer thinks the purchase price is reasonable.

I’ve decided to fast today as there’s likely to be a lunch or dinner at my cousin’s house tomorrow that I get invited to. I have a bowl of the miso broth with broccoli and oyster mushrooms leftover so no need to cook.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

That’s a drag LJ – would you forfeit your deposit in that case?

I love fish and I would eat more if I had reliable information about where it was coming from. As far as the expense goes, I eat less food now so I feel I deserve the best quality.

I picked up fresh Tasmanian Salmon at Coles last week, 3 pieces, about 120g each, came to $10 – that’s not bad for 3 meals, froze it all. Tonight I’ll have 1 piece with cauliflower mash, some greens, and maybe some dal on the side, it’s NFD, so I can indulge a litte

Things getting back to normal here. After a small panic yesterday OH is improving rapidly and is now well enough to have made a batch of sausage rolls for today’s Church Fayre. I have told her this is grounds for divorce – the only time I get one is when she makes them for some outside activity. I was permitted to check the quality.

I am trying to catch up with the garden. At this time of the year in this part of England we cut the grass every five minutes and everything I managed to get in that hasn’t been eaten by the pigeons is growing rapidly. Looks like a good crop of asparagus. There are some restructuring jobs in the garden that I have been going to do every year for the last 15 years, and this year they will get done. Perhaps not immediately – lots of grandparent and other commitments over the next couple of months. I am getting worried about my Robin. He is usually a constant companion when I am outside but I haven’t seen him since we had the last snow.

LJ. Food traditions related to faith seem to be very variable even in the same faith. As a child in the north-east I remember different cakes that appeared at Church related times and something that looked vaguely like a pea called a Carlin that appeared just before Easter. ( I have just googled it – apparently mostly a NE custom and eaten on the fifth Sunday in Lent).

Eurovision tonight. Not really the highlight of my year but probably unavoidable. Apart from a couple of minutes I have missed the early stages and I have no idea who or what the UK is offering. I have seen the Australian entry – you are in with a good chance.

I’ve just reheated and eaten my FD miso soup. I think all the chilli sank to the bottom. The first bowl was pretty mild, but tonight it really packed a punch. It was just miso, aromatics and veg, but tasty and very filling.

Penguin, I can see by the tone of your last post that your wife is much better. Very happy to see that. I hope the sausage roll quality control testing went well.
    Sausage rolls remind me of my father, to say he had an addiction to them is not an overstatement.
    I must admit I don’t follow the traditional abstinence for lent. (Giving up meat would be no hardship for me so it’s not really a sacrifice.) I identify something that would be a genuine sacrifice and that it would be useful for me to feel better control over and I focus on that. One year I gave up bread for lent – that really hurt.

Thin, I won’t lose my deposit as I made the contract conditional on my sale settling on 30th May for a specific amount. That protects me.

It’s been an easy FD although I’ve needed lots of hot drinks to deal with the cold here.

LJ, I’ve found with years of chilli growing that they get hotter when stored in the fridge or freezer. That could be why your leftover miso soup is packing more of a punch than the first time you had it.

Re: ritualistic food behaviours driven by religion, time of the year or day of the week, I do remember being fed cod every Friday at boarding school. One of my neighbours, who’s not religious at all, recently declared that she never eats meat on Fridays. She couldn’t say why, only that she never had. I find it stressful enough deciding what to provide for dinner without worrying about what day of the week it is.

Thin’s neighbour isn’t the only one who has set days for food. I have just compared notes with OH and both of us can remember which days we ate what as kids, and it was certainly fish on Friday.

LJ your Dad’s addiction to sausage rolls reminded me of the neighbours where we lived last. We had Jewish neighbours both sides, members of the same family. One side was very firm in it’s commitment to dietary rules – would drink with me but ate nothing that came out of my kitchen, although I was more than happy to eat his! The other side had a real pork pie habit.

Being strict protestants, my folks didn’t follow the Friday fish rule as a religious requirement. But we invariably had take away fish and chips every Friday night – because Friday was my mum’s longest day at work and up until the 70s, fish & chips was the only take away available in the country town where we lived. In the mid 70s they added crumbed chicken pieces to their menu. I swapped my order from fish to chicken immediately – didn’t like fish much back then either.

LJoyce, we werenā€™t Catholic but my mom very often bought take-away fish plates on Friday nights after work. I loved those fish plates that I think were Perch filets from Lake Michigan which bordered our town. They came with French fries (chips), cold slaw and the best tarter sauce ever. We were very disappointed if she didnā€™t stop there and get them on the way home. Fish Frys on Friday nights are very popular in some of the mid western states in the US. They donā€™t really have the same tradition here on the west coast, not for takeout.

Penguin, I am so relieved to hear that your OH is feeling so much better. Thank goodness for antibiotics! I know a couple people who had infections that made them seriously ill. One thought it was an infected tooth, the other a swollen arm. Neither ever found out what actually caused it and both were in the hospital and then home with IV antibiotics. Both fully recovered, but it was pretty frightening at the time.
    I think Mrs. P owes you your own batch of sausage rolls for all your worry over the last week!

LJoyce, it seems like there are always last minute worries about home sales closing for one reason or another. But since both parties want it to go through and the realtorā€™s commissions are dependent on the deal closing, they usually find a way to make it work. Still, I sympathize with you having to deal with last minute uncertainties. Fingers crossed that all is resolved soon.

I think I just lost a post, so here goes again.

I have been skimming through the last week or so to see what I might have missed. Thank you to all who wished OH well. You are a caring bunch.

LJ. My lumbar vertebrae are not as nature intended – too much impact damage during my military life. A few years ago I couldn’t walk more than a couple of hundred hundred yards. Two things have got me mobile again: losing weight with 5:2 and a weekly Pilates session. I can still get very stiff and uncomfortable if I spend too long sitting or in bed, but normally life is fine. (But I keep anti-inflammatories in the house just in case). They reckon moving house takes 6 months off your life expectancy. I don’t believe it, I’ve done it too often, but you are experiencing why people say that !

Eurovision is just starting with some of my favourite Portuguese style music. I suffer from what my first guitar teacher called “Instrument Acquisition Syndrome”. I really need one of those lovely Portuguese style guitars – the string adjustment is like the throttle cable on my first motor bike! The Australian girl has just come on. More later.

Hi everyone

Good news is, I’ve made the effort and seeing rewards – back on the downward trend. Big whoosh of 1.5kg this week. Feels good for my mindset!

Enjoying reading everyone’s posts.

Penguin: so glad your OH is improving. It’s been so long since I had a sausage roll, but I can still smell and taste what you are experiencing at the moment! Enjoy each bite!

Thinking of you LJoyce and know you will be glad after Monday’s valuation – just a little hiccup!

I hope all of you experiencing setbacks or illness feel a whole lot better real soon.

For those who may be travelling – have a safe and enjoyable trip!

To all the Mothers out there, be they of 2, or 4 legged ‘children’ – have a wonderful Mothers Day
    šŸŒ¹šŸŒ¹šŸŒ¹

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning and happy mothers day to all our mums.

Penguin, I’ve been taking anti-inflammatories the last few days and they have helped. Yesterday I made a point of not sitting down unless I really dad to. I did pretty much everything standing up. I noticed my back was much less sore by the end of the day.
    Could you not acquire one of those Portuguese guitars on one of your trips? Call it a holiday momento.

Arel, congrats on the weight loss.

Cali, fried fish and chips is a very British tradition. I wonder if the regional popularity of it in the US depends on where people had emigrated from.

Just watched the end of Eurovision. As I said, my favourite never wins and I’m scratching my head at the popular choice. Looks like everyone goes to Israel next year.

Penguin, decades ago my mum worked as a nanny for a Jewish family in NY. They had dinner plates designated for dairy and others designated for meat. But they also had plates that could be used for either meat or dairy. Whatever rings your chimes.

Thanks for your MD wishes, LJ. OH had a pilot friend over yesterday lamenting that he must take his wife and in-laws to a buffet lunch costing $90 per head today. He was naming the shares he could have bought for that princely sum. He has my sympathy. I hope I never get to the stage where I’m willing to spend $90 for one lunch. I’ve woken to a beautiful pot of flowers with a heart-warming note of gratitude attached from my DD and that’s more than enough for me today. Almond & coconut milk coffee under way. Leftover chicken & bacon casserole in the fridge 249 cals. It will be a great day.

thin – how do you manage a chicken & bacon casserole with just 249 cals? I would not mind making that, or is it just a tiny, tiny serving?
    I worked as a nanny for a Jewish family in London many years ago, and we had the same traditional setup there, except the optional crockery/cutlery! and before passover everything had to be washed thoroughly, including the kitchen cupboards.

Happy Motherā€™s Day to all of the mums here! šŸŒŗšŸŒ·šŸŒøšŸŒ¹šŸ’ I hope youā€™re having nice weather and some sunshine.

Saturday night here still which is our movie and pizza night. Pizzas are in the oven and weā€™re trying to decide whether to find a Netflix movie to stream or watch another episode from the new Lost in Space series.

Arel, congrats on your weight loss. Sometimes it takes a while for that whoosh effect.

I havenā€™t resumed fasting yet but have been maintaining at around 59 this past week. Iā€™m still not very hungry most of the day, probably due to the change in blood pressure meds or something. I guess I should be happy about that since Iā€™m feeling pretty good otherwise.

LJ, we have House Hunters International on TV while weā€™re eating, and the tv family is looking for a house to rent in Adelaide. Looks beautiful! The family is moving from the US.

Just home from a mothers day morning tea at my cousins. I broke my fast with a bang. Cheese and crackers, savoury scones, spinach dip and rhubarb cinnamon cake. I didn’t eat a large quantity but I’m sure there were still plenty of calories in what I did eat. It was delicious though.

Cali, enjoy the pizza. I think it’s excellent that you are maintaining weight without needing to fast. I can never manage that.

Thin, You’ve trained your daughter well to know that mother’s day treats don’t have to be food. The flowers sound lovely and they’ll last longer than lunch. Enjoy your day.
    I’ll add my request to Sybs, a chicken and bacon casserole for so few calories sounds like one worth sharing.

Morning Sybs, you and LJ can find the recipe for my chicken and bacon casserole by scrolling down our FD recipe page: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/ It’s a decent sized portion, yields about 4 heaped ladles full of nutritional goodness. The best part for me is that the whole family loves it so, served with a bread roll and bulked up with rice or couscous for them, I usually have the extra portion leftover for my next FD which is what’s happening today. It’s also an easy recipe to take on self-catering holidays as all the ingredients are readily available. It even has wine, hard to believe really.

Arel, I liked your wishes for mums of furkids so that includes you, CalifD. Good to know you’re both feeling good and keeping your weight in check.

I was briefly confused, this side of the planet Mother’s Day was in March. Also briefly confused about furkids – had to work that one out.

LJ. For me the secret is to keep moving. The anti-inflammatories are an emergency reserve that I try to avoid because they, and the associated pill that protects the gut from them, kill off my gut biome. We are going to have to re-populate OH’s gut when she finishes the antibiotics – lots of kefir, fermented foods and leafy greens! Which is where I came in – the search for knowledge about kefir is what led me to this group initially.

I could buy a Portuguese guitar in this country – there is a firm called Hobgoblin in London that sells just about anything that makes a noise. What I need is an excuse to do it, space to keep it and talent to play it. I already have too many instruments of different kinds, none of which I play well.

I had a latish night watching Eurovision. As ever, some totally weird entries and a winner I would not have predicted. Considering that countries tend to vote for their neighbours, the Australian entry did well. The Brit host’s summary was something like “very popular with the live audience and she can really rock a room”.

The weather the last few days has been sunny and dry, although not very warm, so a day in the garden. Then tomorrow will be day one of a water only fast – I can still feel the pastel de nata.

Penguin, I agree that movement is the key. Getting my activity balance right certainly helps me manage the arthritis. I use mobic as an anti-inflammatory and as long as I take it with food it’s fine on my stomach. Because my faulty immune response if for excessive inflammation all sorts of things will set it off. For three days in a row I’ve made a point of not sitting if I can stand and not standing still if I can move. So I’ve gone from siting down with a cuppa to pacing the hallway drinking it. It’s improved my lower back pain a great deal.

I also agree with you on the weird entries in Eurovision – there are always some and for some reason unknown to me Europeans seem to like voting for them. I would class this year’s winner in that group. Usually I like the dance tracks, but my absolute favourite this year was the ballad from Germany – it bought tears to my eyes and songs rarely do that.

Every country seems to pick a different day as “mothering Sunday”. For us it’s always the second Sunday in May. I suspect our fathers day is different too – first Sunday on September.

When you say tomorrow is one day of a water fast, do you mean the first of several or is this a single FD?

I’m quite pleased with myself for skipping lunch and treating this morning’s generous morning tea as both breakfast and lunch. All too often after a morning like this one I keep eating all day. I’ve managed to distract myself by cleaning.
    Dinner is warming in the microwave as I type – yet another meal from my freezer stash – Delia Smith’s Chicken Basque with roasted carrots, parsnips and broccoli on the side. Penguin, I know you’ve mentioned not liking broccoli but have you tried roasting it (need to blanch or par boil it first)?

I didn’t much like the German entry, and having lived there for 10 years I am usually pretty pro things German. There not very many Eurovision songs I ever really like, but we can live in hope.

Tomorrow’s water fast is day one of three. It is not just for the weight loss, I feel really sharp and active after the first 48 hours. I am teaching myself to eat healthy stuff that I never liked. I have always cooked with tomatoes, but couldn’t eat them raw or if they were still recognisable. I disliked salads and positively hated broccoli and Brussels sprouts, but I am now eating all of them. Not enjoying them yet. I have shelves of cookery books – my regular bedside book is “Goose fat and Garlic” – but when in doubt I go back to Delia. I had a little basic instruction from my Mother, Yorkshire puddings and the like, but it was Delia who taught me to cook.

I have just mixed a sourdough starter. I stopped using them and went back to yeast because we are away so much. However, my kefir survives in the fridge so I will try that with sourdough. Has anyone done that?

Brussels sprouts are good sliced in half and sautĆ©ed in a little bit of water and olive oil with salt and caraway seed until theyā€™re just starting to brown on the edges. You could also add pearl onions to the mix. OH isnā€™t crazy about Brussels sprouts either, but heā€™ll eat them that way.

Add a shredded chilli and some garlic to that and even I think they are almost good.

Good morning from cold grey Melbourne.
    I had a big day at the family do on Saturday. I’m glad I went as my daughter and grandkids couldn’t have gone without my help and I saw lots of relatives I haven’t seen for a long time. But on the other hand it was a long way, kids hate travel, it wasn’t a CFS friendly function, I’m not close to any of the relatives I don’t usually see, and it will take a lot of recovering from.

Yesterday they re-wired our street (I think that’s what they did) so the power went off at 7:30am and before very long I headed over to my daughter’s. Goodness I am hopeless without electricity these days! Had an easy day but decided it would be another 6:1 week. They promised the power would be back on at 3:30 and it was, although they were working at the building over the road until late in the night, and building alarms went off through the night too. Hopefully all is done now.

Lovely Mothers Day. (Quite Interesting: Our day started in the US as mothers’ activism for babies health and anti war http://fortune.com/2018/05/11/mothers-day-history/ ) (It morphed into sentimentality and commercialism). My daughter gave me a card that said ‘Great job mum, I turned out awesome’. Haha.

I loved your Jewish family story Penguin. Such a good instance of the extremes of observance. I always loved how my Mozambican Muslim neighbours observed Ramadan as a precious occasion to think about helping others and appreciating how lucky we are, while my young Malaysian Muslim relatives hooned around their home town after sunset going from party to party.

LJoyce, fingers crossed the house stuff gets sorted nicely and quickly, I can imagine how stressful it must be.

Need to go and a) tidy up and b) get to work on the Business plan. Everything has been conspiring to stop me, but I will prevail.

Best wishes to you all. I hope it is a lovely water fast day Penguin.

I love brussel sprouts cooked just slightly tender and with a sparing grind of sea salt.

Just in case anyone is interested, Kitchen Warehouse has electric yoghurt maker / fermenter for $49.95 and offer free shipping at the moment.

Hi everyone, just checking in!
    12.50pm Monday

Had my Dad home from nursing home for 4 days – just love having him around. He has such a gorgeous smile and relishes any attention we can bestow on him. He’s really no trouble – just feed him, hand out medications, keep him warm and give him big hugs!!! Went back happy, but I feel he would happily stay home permanently. I secretly would like that as well!

Thank you all for my weight loss encouragement. Took a while to get back on track post holiday – all your influence and encouraging comments has really helped and is much appreciated xx

Thinking of you today LJoyce with the valuer visiting your current home today – hoping it all goes well!

Cinque: can’t believe our recent weather change. 18’C tops here today! Much cooler down your way though. Seems to happen quickly here the day after Anzac Day! Cosy warm fires and snuggly dooners, help make Winter life a whole lot better!

Thin: your chicken and bacon casserole sounds delicious – as do many of your other recipes in that thread!

Penguin: enjoy your water fast x 3. I’ve managed 2 separate liquid fasts for 36 hours each in 7 months of 5:2ing – 3 days sounds amazing, but definitely too long for me. I admire you for being able to achieve 3 days!

Calif: I like the sound of your brussel sprouts recipe. Hope you are feeling much better now!

Sybs: thank you for letting us know about the yoghurt maker/ fermenter.
    I’d like to ferment foods but haven’t yet worked out the best container for same! Any suggestions from any of you would be much appreciated. A pottery crock with a lid appeals to me but not sure if the lid has to be air tight or not. Any ideas!!!

Hi to any others just reading, not posting. Thinking of you all!

Congratulations to all those losing, those maintaining, and to those plateauing – we’ve all made the decision for a healthier, 5:2 life!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Addit:
    Back into Monday and Thursday fast days!!! xx

Hi Arel, Sybs and Thin,

I love brussell’s sprouts but I want them to be very fresh!

But I actually popped back because I saw this, and for some reason I thought of Thin: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-14/what-can-you-do-if-you-live-next-to-a-party-rental/9758042

Thank you Cinque. I will look into that complaint section for neighbours which I wasn’t aware of before reading the article you posted. Following our experiences all summer, we decided to re-evaluate our own use of airbnb. Although we consider ourselves a quiet family who are respectful of others’ property and amenity, we concluded that our continued use of such platforms must contribute to some extent to the detriment of the locals of the cities we visit. Consequently, I haven’t visited the website in planning our upcoming trips. I just find it interesting that as other countries of the world begin to count the cost of nine years of short-stay rental platforms in their cities, our own short-sighted council decides to embrace the concept. Lindsay, I hope you’ve had some peace as summer comes to an end?

Arel, no cosy warm fires here. It’s 3pm and I’m in a T-shirt and shorts about to meet my walking buddy. 27C. I hope you can make use of some of those recipes.

LJ, hoping all went well today but I don’t suppose they’ll tell you right away, if at all.

Hi everyone, I didn’t get to post this morning – a bit busy today.
    I’ve just finished a very late dinner after dropping friends at the airport. Their youngest daughter has been studying overseas for the last 4 years and they are heading over for her graduation.

I don’t know how the valuation went, the valuer said very little. She took a few notes and photos of the kitchen and bathroom then left. I hope I have news by the end of the week. I’ll run out of time to pack at this rate. I’ve also arranged for the POD to be returned at the end of the week so I can unload those boxes into the house. That way the removalists can take everything. (I’m not sure the POD and truck would fit in the driveway of my new house, so thought it best to play it safe.)

Time for a hot drink and bed I think. Fasting tomorrow. I feel bloated so it’s timely.

Good morning everyone, another grey, cold morning. I am very grateful for my snug little home and warm clothes.

I have realised that I can fast today. I have a friend visiting overnight, but she will like soup for a meal (she has had the gastric surgery). Just not miso soup! I will make something else.

So I am fasting with you LJoyce. And sending more good wishes that you hear soon that everything is going ahead. With the care you have taken of your home, it would be very strange if the valuer wasn’t impressed.

Thin, I have been enjoying a podcast by mother and daughter journalists Geraldine Doogue and Eliza Harvey, and in the last one they discussed the problems with using air bnb’s. Very interesting. A different view. But here is the link in case you are interested. https://longdistancecall.com.au/

Arelkade I love hearing of the lovely times you spend with your dad. I hope he can come to stay again soon.

Cheers to any other Tuesday Fasters and to everyone else: I do hope you have a lovely mindful eating day. (Oh dear, mine was mindless eating yesterday, the result of that big weekend I think. Hope you can avoid one of them).

LJoyce, I was just checking in the see if the valuation went ok on your house. I certainly hope they let you know in the next day or two. How long can it take to make a decision? Surely they should have everything they need after the inspection. It doesnā€™t seem fair that you should have to wait so long to find out. You have a whole house to pack up in just 15 days. But knowing how organized you are already, with all the staging preparation, it should go quickly. I think you are going to breathe a big sigh of relief once youā€™re in your new home.

Cinque that airbnb link you posted just goes to show what can happen with these short term rentals. How horrifying for the other residents. Aus isnā€™t the only country voicing displeasure over airbnb. There have been plenty of problems with it in this country too.

Good morning Arel, Cinque, Sybs, Merry, Cali, Thin, Penguin, Lindsay, Minka, Joffy, Intesha and Quacka (You can always tell the mornings I have time to spare – I can check the last 2-3 days of posts to see who’s around.)

Not just a FD for me, but a quiet day at home. I want to pack, but am not willing to tempt fate on that one.

Cali, I will never get the actual valuation results as it’s the buyers lender that arranged it and the buyers who will have to pay for it. I’ll just hear whether they have their finance or not. If they get it, then I can assume that the valuation was high enough to cover the loan. The valuation is usually the last step so it should only be days now before I hear. (They look at credit history, income and capacity to repay the loan first.)

Cinque, always glad to have company when fasting. Have you recovered from your overexertion at the family get together?

Thin, I hope you are making the most of those warm days. This is one weather pattern that shows no inclination to head east. The rest of us are freezing, so enjoy it for us all.
    I agree with Arel’s comments about that recipe link – I had looked through that page some time ago but don’t remember seeing most of those recipes. Once I’m in my new kitchen I will have to start experimenting as I really like the idea of have meals that work on both FDs and NFDs.

Arel, so glad you enjoyed your time with your dad, it always makes me smile and brings back so many memories when you talk about him. The things that made my dad happy were so similar in his later years. I offered him a home with me when he was still in his own home and able to care for himself with a bit of help. As he became more infirm it was not a suitable option and he needed aged care. If he fell over I couldn’t get him up and as I was still working that was a problem. But I did enjoy lots of day visits and outings. I often baked (things mum used to make) on the days dad was here, so that he would have the reminder of that aroma. He behaved like a big kid when it came to licking the bowl through – my mum never let him do that. He also loved being able to take the biscuits back to the nursing home with him and share them with others and say they were just like Joyce (my mum) used to make.

I’ve not traveled in recent years, except to stay with family, but I have been dubious of airbnb. I definitely wouldn’t feel safe renting a room in a stranger’s house and renting a whole place is probably more expensive than a hotel room – I don’t need 5 stars, just clean. Although that said, my neighbour has an airbnb room that she lets out occasionally and I’ve not heard a peep out of her visitors. I thin it’s different for a family traveling – renting a house/apartment is probably much cheaper than multiple hotel rooms. All the negative stories seem to be where it’s a whole house being let and it ends up being a all weekend party.

I wanted to report back about my approach to getting my lower back pain better. After several days of standing and moving rather than sitting I’ve noticed a huge improvement. So much so that I’m still using my makeshift stand-desk for my laptop (I’m standing here now typing). Last night I slept all night without needing pain relief and without needing the pillow between my knees. It’s made me realise how often I sit to do things where I don’t actually need to be sitting. It’s also reminded me that I will need to be careful when I start packing, that I don’t lift things that are too heavy for me.

LJ, I feel for you, that’s so stressful despite the fact that you’ve done everything in your power to make it all go smoothly. I agree, I wouldn’t do anything about packing until the ‘sold’ sticker appears.

I think when guests stay in a room where the owner is in residence, it’s a completely different scenario because people will naturally be more mindful when there’s a ‘landlord’. Airbnb, etc started off as couch surfing – a bit of space in someone’s home. It’s evolved that about 70% are now ‘entire home’ rentals with self check-in and no supervision.

You once told us that ‘LJoyce’ was a throwback to a nickname given to your mother. I probably wasted too much time pondering that. Now you’ve reminded me and so I will be thinking of you from now on as Lovely Joyce or Lighter Joyce and definitely not Lazy Joyce!

I hope you and Arel can make use of some of those recipes. I plan to re-visit some myself if/when winter eventually arrives. It’s particularly good if you’re using them because then I know the calorie count will be reliable.

Have a lovely FD with Cinque and any other Tuesday fasters.

Merry, I hope you’ve landed safely. You probably aren’t reading but DD has become a Eurovision fan. She made me watch the winning entry. Good grief. What would Terry Wogan have had to say about her?

Good morning all,
    FD yesterday and woke up feeling lighter this morning. I won’t be weighing for a few weeks just going by the fitting of clothes feeling needing to move belt holes etc.
    Thankyou everyone for your wishes.
    LJoyce I did remember you have RA and hearing you got it aged 38 ouch. I have read a lot of forums on it and the young mothers and teenagers that are putting up with RA is what keeps me quiet about my problems. Yes Methotrexate 20mg a week just makes me tired on Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Fd’s have come back easier than I thought. I was worried the couple of bits of fruit early morning may set my hunger dragon off but it’s been OK and I haven’t missed having my eggs for brekky.
    Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee 300kj, 160g plums 260kj, 150g mandarins 267kj (weighed the peel I removed today) 500g beef and vegetable soup 1100kj (bought the wrong soup), 100g kidney beans 400kj Total 2327kj or 567cals.

Good morning,
    Lovely day-after-fast-day here. Nice to share it with you Joffy. And you when you wake LJoyce, after your nice stay at home day.

Cold but pretty outside. Early sun on tinted clouds.

However I have a sore throat and runny nose. Sigh. Hope it is a short little virus.

I am beginning to feel back to normal after our big day out. I’ve been careful not to complicate it by overdoing things.

I do wonder how you are going Merry. Are you there yet? Sending good wishes.

My visitor has woken up, so see you later. šŸ™‚

Cinque, get well soon. I hope you have the same virus I had a few weeks ago. I developed the dreaded sore throat during the day, gargled with TCP over the next couple of days while the inevitable cold & cough lurked in the background but which I eventually fought off with my own immune system. Unfortunately for all of us, OH then managed to catch something that he’s sure I gave him but which which manifested itself in a lengthy and violent manner requiring one entire day of bed rest and lots of moaning and extreme coughing for the remaining weeks. He gets the ‘flu injection; I don’t. I know it’s not possible to get ‘flu from the ‘flu injection but he does get the man ‘flu every year whereas I can’t recall when I last had a cold. Here he is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmbMSrsZVQ

Good morning SHs

Cinque, hope you get better soon. Enjoy breakfast with your friend.
    Like Thin, I had a sore throat last week. I gargled betadine and it went away thankfully, which probably means it was bacterial and not a virus.

Thin, because the RA treatment lowers my immune system I do get the flu shot every year. I haven’t had the flu since the early 1990s. I was sick for nearly a month. I’ve never had flu since I’ve been getting the vaccine.
    Yes I did say it was the name that everyone called my mother, despite not being her actual name. I think her family started calling her Joyce when she was very little and it just stuck. I also used to work with a lady called Beth and it was nothing like her actual name.

Joffy, glad to hear that you are settling back into your FDs. They look very similar to your old FDs except for the addition of fruit. I often have a piece of fruit on a FD to help me get through to dinner. My usual mid-morning snack on NFDs is a banana – often with some nut butter spread on it, (in fact I think it’s becoming something of an addiction). Despite the sugar content it doesn’t seem to spur my appetite on either. Some people aren’t so lucky, I recall Cinque saying that fruit has the same effect on her as eating sugar. It’s possible that some people have a more sensitive insulin response to fructose than others. I’m thankful that I get away with eating fruit as it’s usually enough to distract me from wanting to eat something else that’s sweet.
    I completely agree about juvenile RA. I also find that my appointments with the rheumatologist put things into perspective. There’s always someone there in a wheelchair. The reminder that I’ve managed to walk in there unaided definitely makes me stop feeling sorry for myself and realise that I’ve gotten off lightly.
    Joffy, are you taking folic acid tablets as well? My rheumatologist prescribed them with the methotrexate when that was my treatment drug, as they reduce the side effects.
    With the development in new treatments in the last 15 years, the prognosis for RA is so much better than it used to be. They are better at halting joint damage and at letting us live a reasonably normal life. Although you do need to redefine “normal”. I remember thinking when my RA started when I was 38, that it was lucky I didn’t have young children as I just don’t know how I would have coped.

Cali, I weakened and bought some of the $5 tea boxes from T2. I wasn’t going to get any more, but these are things I like that are being discontinued and $5 is 1/4 – 1/3 of their usual price. I bought the creamy choc chai, just cinnamon and cocoa loco. The first 2 I use to blend my own chai and the cocoa loco I can use in both the chai and my lamington blend (I have been using cacao nibs instead lately as they were cheaper). More things I’ll have to pack!

I’m off to an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon shortly. No, not more surgery, just an annual checkup so that he knows my artificial right knee is still doing well and that my left hasn’t deteriorated enough to need replacing yet. Losing weight and getting fitter improved the condition of my left knee so instead of it needing to be done within 5 years he’s now estimating it could be 15 years before it’s bad enough. It’s also likely that keeping my inflammation levels down will also give me more time.

NFD for me which has begun with a pot of tea and a banana spread with peanut paste.
    Have a good day everyone.

Cinque, I hope your sore throat and runny nose passes quickly. Thatā€™s how my cold/flu thing started in March. When it got to the coughing stage, Mucinex Cold & Decongestant pills worked pretty well, especially at night.

Thin, that link is hilarious! It reminds me of OH when heā€™s sick. A ā€œman coldā€ certainly produces many more symptoms and moaning and more groaning than a ā€œwoman coldā€! (Cinque, you want to avoid a ā€œman coldā€ šŸ¤§ at all costs!) I have to send that link to OH and a few friends. šŸ¤£

LJoyce, Iā€™ve had to lay off on the caffeine lately so, tempting as it was, I didnā€™t order more T2. (I have quite a stash from the last shipment.) I have a few decaf teas from other brands, but none are as good or unique as the T2 teas. Iā€™ve become spoiled. I hope to get back to them soon. Your new home will be called ā€œThe house of teaā€. šŸ˜ I hope you kept enough of those black boxes to pack what you have for moving house. I know you gave a bunch of them to your niece.

Joffy, good to hear that getting back to your FD have been easier than anticipated. I usually have fruit on FD too and havenā€™t found it a problem unless I eat too much at once. I try to reserve it for the last half of the day. I think itā€™s filling with the water content and sometimes the fiber, depending on the fruit. I canā€™t wait for the summer fruits like nectarines and plums to start appearing here in stores.

Glad you enjoyed it CalifD. I first saw it many years ago and it still cracks me up. The only thing that’s changed is the litany of whiney ‘sexist’ claims appearing below. Can’t people just have a chuckle any more without getting offended and requiring therapy?

Joffy, your change in menu also caused me to chuckle this morning until I read that you’d picked up the wrong soup. Glad it’s all working out though.

Frothy Thursday following an easy FD with dolphins and bridge to pass the time. I think it was the first FD ever that I had made no meal plans. My freezer supplies let me down. I ended up with a one mushroom, one cherry tomato, one egg omelette with herbs from the garden. With no oil, it wasn’t great but sufficed and the scales tell me it was a good choice.

I’ll be swapping Sunday’s FD to Saturday this week due to having organised a neighbourhood picnic which most families preferred to be on Sunday. DD will be volunteering her time to carry out free vet health checks for four-legged participants of the Million Paws Walk that day and we will have fun watching the parade of pooches. It’s our monthly live jazz club tonight so more neighbourhood fun.

Have a great day everyone. Keep smiling. Life shouldn’t be so serious!

Good morning SHs,
    I woke with headache and sore throat this morning. Hopefully it will clear up soon.
    I hope all the other colds that seem to be doing the rounds also clear up quickly.

I spoke with the real estate agent this morning. He’s been in contact with the buyers broker daily. Their loan is approved subject to valuation and the valuation was received by the lender yesterday, so there should be an answer by the end of the week – I hope?

Cali, I have no objection to my next home being called the house of tea.
    I am sorry to hear that you can’t drink it at present. I use decaf teas for the evening, but they’re never as good.

I think I need to get a boot load of firewood today. It’s been consistently cold here and I’ve almost used all of my decorative logs that I piled into the storage ring for the open inspection.

Another NFD for me. Just about to have my first cuppa.

Back to warm clothes today. Our high temp was only about 18 and it should be down around 8 or 9 tonight. We had thunder showers this morning. But it should be warmer tomorrow. I shouldnā€™t complain because we havenā€™t had to use the air conditioner yet and the heat only minimally in the last few weeks. It sounds like our weather is somewhat similar to LJ and Cinqueā€™s lately.

I just realized the Royal Wedding is this Saturday. I definitely want to watch it if itā€™s broadcast live over here. My DS will likely get it early to watch it with me. OH could care less. Iā€™m going to search the TV stations now to see where to watch it.

Had a doctors appointment today and he eliminated one of the meds that was probably the one responsible for killing my appetite. So once itā€™s out of my system, Iā€™ll probably be back to fasting to maintain. So far Iā€™ve managed to stay in the 59ā€™s. But I just want things to get back to normal.

Back to warm clothes today. Our high temp was only about 18 and it should be down around 8 or 9 tonight. We had thunder showers this morning. But it should be warmer tomorrow. I shouldnā€™t complain because we havenā€™t had to use the air conditioner yet and the heat only minimally in the last few weeks. It sounds like our weather is somewhat similar to LJ and Cinqueā€™s lately.

I just realized the Royal Wedding is this Saturday. I definitely want to watch it if itā€™s broadcast live over here. My DS will likely get it early to watch it with me. OH could care less. Iā€™m going to search the TV stations now to see where to watch it.

Had a doctors appointment today and he eliminated one of the meds that was probably the one responsible for killing my appetite. So once itā€™s out of my system, Iā€™ll probably be back to fasting to maintain. So far Iā€™ve managed to stay in the 59ā€™s. But I just want things to get back to normal.

Hi all. Just dropping in, during a crazy week. Hope all who are not well recover soon, and those who are well stay so. Best wishes too to those with ill family – brothers, wives.
    The little girls have both been very ill with croup – Miss 4 has such a croaky little voice, and the 2 year old is barking, barking. No sleep/rest for days for my DD, so we had the girls this morning so she could catch up on her studies.
    I’m at work this afternoon – an extra shift that I found it hard to say no too. It’s one thing to get an email, another to run into the boss in the corridor yesterday and be asked in person.
    I had an odd FD yesterday. A colleague whom I really like, but don’t really know at all well, invited me for coffee. I ordered my usual long black …but she came back to the table with two forks, so I knew it wasn’t going to be good. Up turned a decadent chocolate cake with cream. It’s a dilemma isn’t it? Had it been a friend, I would have said no, no problem at all (nicely, but no, nevertheless). But because it was a ‘new’ friend, I felt a no would have been really awkward so ate as little as I could, without appearing rude. It threw out the rest of the day – I ended up not having my lunch (usually 212 calories, around 4 pm) and just had the apple, and a very light dinner. Scales were okay this morning, but I was so so hungry. I’m with you Cinque – I love my post FD breakfasts! I’m at work tomorrow, and thinking I might try a FD (or a modified, 800 calorie day) just to nudge the scales along.
    LJ hope the house settles with plenty of time for you to pack up gently.
    Thin our boys with the booming voices are still at it from time to time…..I fear it’s just how it’s going to be.
    Hope you are enjoying Autumn if you’re in the SH and Spring (?) if you’re not.

Well, it looks like most US channels will be carrying the Royal wedding live, with many beginning the lead-up to it at 1:00 Saturday morning, California time. I thought this from USA Today was rather amusing:

ā€œAmericans will have no trouble finding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal wedding playing on a screen nearby on Saturday. The real difficulty will be in avoiding it for those surly few who can’t stand weddings or royals or both.

But that lot can take themselves off to the wilderness with no Wi-Fi; everybody else will settle themselves in front of their tellys or devices very early in the morning to consume gallons of tea, nosh on crumpets and marvel at the ceremonial magic the British will conjure from the 948-year-old ramparts of Windsor Castle.ā€

Didnā€™t we have a discussion here some months ago about exactly what a crumpet is? Perhaps Iā€™ll just settle for my jammies and a fancy hat. šŸ˜
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tSRNdF4F5N8/TbrRiG8gHuI/AAAAAAAAAgI/8xr0XyUobFo/s1600/fascinators.jpg

Viewing 50 posts - 15,901 through 15,950 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.