Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,851 through 15,900 (of 28,029 total)

• Hi thin and Cinque

thin, it’s the first time I have used the dried shitake so i thought I would just boil the kettle and soak the seaweed and the mushrooms together. Then make the miso and pour the miso over it all. I’m hoping it works 😉

Cinque, I googled what the white bloom is and apparently it is a mineral or salt from inside the plant. Google says the more white bloom, the better the taste (and if Google says it then I surely must believe it!) lol

I also read that seaweed is really good for your gut health and there have been studies that show seaweed has an enzyme (or something) that helps with weight loss. I think it was only found in a particular variety though. I didn’t have much time to read through all the information so I just picked up bits and pieces from it. Hopefully I get more time to research it soon.

Lindsay, Thanks for the suggestion, I might try a hot wheat bag.
    Cinque, I haven’t tried the floor, but lying flat in bed helps.
    I think a combination of lying flat and heat both probably help. The only time my back feels better is at night if I lay flat on the bed with the electric blanket on and my knees slightly bent up – that actually feels good.

Thin, as the Korean feast is your bleated birthday I think you should just enjoy it. My favourite part of last night’s indulgence was actually the cheese platter. One of my favourite foods.

Quacka, enjoy the shitake & seaweed. I seem to keep using fresh mushrooms rather than dried – I like oyster mushrooms when I can get them in miso broth.

Something I forgot to mention that pleased me. The birthday girl was allowed to choose what they had for dinner last night. Her mum said they could make pizzas or hamburgers or a have BBQ. She chose a BBQ, which I don’t think pleases her dad, who had to stand outside in the dark and cold cooking it.

I really need another cup of tea now. I’ve spent over an hour calling just two utilities to have services disconnected here and turned on the the next house. The number times I was transferred, put on hold, had to repeat everything had me ready to scream. A cup of tea will calm me down, I hope.

LJoyce I can understand your frustration. Hope you are enjoying your cuppa.

So I have just finished my miso “special” soup. Think I need to soak the mushrooms a bit longer next time as they were chewy. The texture was similar to meat and was not unpleasant, I didn’t mind it.

One of the girls saw my brew soaking and she said “oh my God, is that seaweed?” I said yep and asked her if she would like to try some. The answer was a definite “no way” lol

So I was enjoying my soup and had finished three quarters of it when I noticed something kind of strange floating on the top. I got it out of my soup and yes it was some kind of bug or egg sack. I don’t really know what it was so I just threw it away and kept eating the rest of it. If you don’t hear from me for a while it was probably something bad……

I googled (good old google) how long to soak the mushrooms for. Every site i read said to rinse the mushrooms first before soaking> I’m thinking it not only gets rid of dirt but also any bugs which may have tagged along.

I am going to try and find some organic dried shitake and seaweed instead of the Chinese grown stuff I have now. There may be some other kind of bugs in the organic stuff though….

Hahahaha

LJ another thought is to put a pillow between your knees/ thighs for support in bed, if you tend to roll on your side when sleeping. It really takes the strain off your lower back.

Quacka, that made me laugh but it’s also gross at the same time! What is an egg sac? Don’t answer that please! I hope those outspoken work colleagues didn’t notice that! I asked about the soaking because I usually need about half an hour for mine even though it says 15 minutes on the packet. I’m not keen on the very chewy texture. LJ, I love all kinds of mushrooms especially enoki. I think it was Joffy, long-gone but not forgotten, who said that mushrooms are ‘free food’. As in calories.

LJ, I wondered how easy would be the transition of utility services as it’s been nearly a quarter of a century since we last moved and I thought things might have improved since then. You’d think you could go on-line and consider it done! I’ll take your advice on dinner since tomorrow is a FD anyway.

Lindsay, good to hear from you. What’s your DD studying?

Cinque, I was awake at 1am one morning thinking of something I hadn’t answered. Oh dear, I’m living a virtual life and must get a real one. You said you’d hoped your daughter would develop some kind of passion for an eventual career but it hadn’t been forthcoming. I’m sure your daughter has given you pleasure and happiness in other ways. Like providing those little grandies for you. I’m interested in the textiles. Is this a hobby that could turn into a commercial venture for your DD? I used to love doing batik many years ago. And what about a YD update while I’m on the creative line of questioning?

Hello, I am completely exhausted after a wonderful day with two sisters. We went to a big Turkish supermarket off Sydney Rd full of wonderful ingredients and everything in 40kg amounts (well, the rice anyway) and very fresh and lots of wonderful exotic things. I bought some fruit tisanes there (and some red lentils and popcorn). Then we had a gorgeous meal at the A1 bakery that sells Middle Eastern food and it is all so fresh and lovely…. I might have made myself very full!
    And we managed to pop into two op shops on the way home where my best score was a lovely pair of leather lined, pale grey suede ankle boots with a good heel.
    I am now going to collapse on the sofa, but first….

Quakka, an Asian friend gave me great advice about soaking shiitake mushrooms. Although boiling water is very quick, they hydrate much more nicely if you give them several hours in cool (I just use tap) water. The long slow soak really does result in tender juicy mushrooms (although they are always chewier than fresh mushrooms).
    She also advised that a pinch of salt, and an optional pinch of sugar, in the soaking water help bring out the flavours. I then use the soaking water as stock for the soup. I think she is right about the salt helping to bring out the flavours although I am not sure of the science as it also flavours the water more (ie the stock has more colour and flavour when I remember to add a pinch of salt) so wouldn’t that mean the flavour has come out of the mushrooms? Anyway, it all goes in my soup!
    I am not sure how that would go with taking them to work, but if you find a way to give them as long a soak as possible, I think you will enjoy them more.

Eep re the egg sac whatever. Hopefully it added wonderful nutrients to the soup. I have never had that problem with soaking mushrooms. Or might it have been in the seaweed?

Lindsay, so good to hear from you. So glad you can help your dear children and their dear babies. I hope you get some ‘me time’ soon though!

LJoyce, I hope the tea helped. That phone stress is a nightmare. You might need a bottle of scotch!

It might help with your back too 😉

Thin, you are so right, I chide myself for worrying that my daughter doesn’t have a profession. She is a wonderful mum and does so many interesting things. Her main interest is crochet but she is getting into dyeing yarn and also felting. I might have a particularly gorgeous mother’s day present this year! This is her Etsy store where she sells just enough to keep it going https://www.etsy.com/shop/roseycheeksknitwear

As for YamDaisy, I am solidly into writing the business plan that has to be so comprehensive and elegant we can use it to get a partner organisations and then funding etc later on. It takes forever. After a couple of frustrating weeks when I couldn’t work on it because Lynne had it (bad planning as she couldn’t work on it either) I now have it and GOOD GRIEF: dislocated elbows, visiting sisters, doctors appointments! Aaaagh! But I am working on it inbetween! I hope to get a really good go next week and get it to a proper draft stage.
    I’d really like to send it to you then, if you have time to check it over. It would be really good to have your feedback.

I need to lie down and think about my next fast day. I have a feeling it will be best to stick to Thursday…. but I am very keen for a nice fasty fast day and a bowl of miso soup, with seaweed!

To be continued…

What a creative daughter Cinque! And such a clever store name since I know her real name. And, reading the little blurbs about her Etsy shop, I see she has inherited your skill for writing and your gentle manner. Not everyone can (or wants to) go to univeristy but they can still find their place in the world and make a useful contribution to society. You should be very proud (I know you are).

I’m honoured that you would consider asking me to look over your business plan (I hope it wasn’t an impertinent assumption that you meant me and not the whole forum). I will make time to read it. It’s been a long time since I wrote a business plan of my own but involving someone who’s completely removed from the process might provide some unexpected (and hopefully, useful) insight.

Cinque, all of what Thin said about your daughter. How wonderful, to be so creative. And she is just beautiful. I can see some wonderful things in her shop, for my little girls to wear during the cold Scottish winter we are embarking on.
    And Cinque, more beautiful op shop boots! How lucky you are to live in Melbourne, where you get the opportunity to wear winter clothes. I lived in Melbourne before I married – I worked for Radio Australia – and had a passion for leather boots (red ones in particular). Even when we travel to cold climates now, I can only fit in one or two pairs of boots, and our winters here are so short.

Good morning,
    Thankyou so much Thin and Lindsay for those lovely words about my daughter.
    And yes, I do love living in Melbourne. If you have a huge wardrobe of clothes then four seasons in one day can be lots of fun 😉
    But seriously, I do love that feeling of being able to get into some serious clothes after wearing as little as possible in the hot season.
    And how cool to have worked for Radio Australia. It was such a brilliant service.

Thin, yes, I was talking to you about the Business Plan. Thankyou so much, I really appreciate it.
    And I’d be glad of anyone else interested to look at it (when it is done) as there are such skilled people here, which is useful, as well as great common sense, which might be even more useful.

Well my fast day is officially tomorrow, it is just a 6:1 week. Back to 5:2 next week. Cheers to those fasting today though! Are you, Thin?

Okay, I have a list of things to do. Up and at ’em!

Good morning everyone. Back in the land of the living.

Arrived home early Sunday morning. Straight back into the daily hum drum. Did three loads of washing, got dinner for Dad and washed up. Holiday, what holiday.

Bit spaced out on Monday but drove down to see Mum, strange driving after 6 weeks. Went and did the grocery shopping.

Tuesday found it hard to get motivated but eventually after more washing did some gardening and pruning.

Should have gone to the gym today but still not motivated.

Confession time. Weight when I left was 68.2, Sunday 75.5 (oh dear), Monday 74, FD yesterday 73.7, this morning 72.2. Back into it, felt good yesterday. Usually have another FD Thursday but they are having a morning tea at the nursing home for Mother’s Day so will do Friday.

Merry you must be getting excited. At least the weather seems to be getting better. It rained most of the time I was there. Penguin, hope your OH is okay.

Paula, hope you are still reading. When I first started this WOL I was not in a good place mentally and even though there were times I didn’t feel like being here or didn’t like the advice I was given I stuck around and the fabulous, caring mostly anonymous people on this site kept me going. So I hope that you will stay with us, even if you don’t post often. It does help to vent every now and then.

Well I think that’s a long enough post for today. Have a good day everyone 😊😊

Hi Cinque, love hearing all your news. I’ve been out of the workforce for a few years now but if you would like another eye over your business plan I’m in.

Ah daughter’s. We all want so much for and from them. I thought mine was going to end up in the music industry. Even sent her to a music academy to learn the business side of managing and promoting. She went on holiday to England and never came back 😢. Now I have had some incredible holidays overseas and two beautiful grandchildren. Life is never how we expected it.

I needed to put on a pot of soup for my FDs so yesterday I spent about 15 minutes checking the nutritional info on liquid stock (all of them). Previously I had been buying Campbells but I noticed the very high sodium content, even in the “salt reduced” chicken stock. Yesterday I ended up buying Massel. Now the soup is bubbling away, and the smell is making me hungry. Other than a mug of black coffee I haven’t put anything “down the hatch” yet!
    Hope everyone is having a good day, joyfully fasting, in the knowledge that it’s good for body and soul!

Morning Sybs, yes I am one who’s looking forward to my fast today. Thanks for the info on the stock as I always use Campbell’s salt reduced and hadn’t even noticed the salt content.

Welcome back Intesha. Enjoy the oldies.

Cinque, those boots sound fabulous. I didn’t wear any of mine except the ankle boots last year because I felt I was sloshing around in them; I’d never realised how fat my calves were until losing all this weight. Now my boots all look like wellies.

LJ, here’s the menu from last night. https://www.ssamkoreanbbq.com/dinner-1 OH and I shared Haemul-jjim which would have easily been plenty for 3 people but DD doesn’t like fish. I thought everyone might be interested in this Korean style of eating as it’s healthy, fresh food cooked at the table and it was easy to avoid the carbs that so many restaurants load us up with. A lot of the dishes were bean sprout based! Our dish comprised a generous assortment of very fresh seafood in an unusual sauce and a pair of scissors to gain access to the crustaceans. Anyway, the bottom line is that I’m the same weight as yesterday 59.7kgs. Highly recommended!

Off to a supplementary bridge lesson this morning, I’m becoming a bridge tragic. Have a great day everyone.

Sybs & Thin, I use Massel stock powders – mostly the low sodium chicken. It’s not only better for salt content it’s also better for calories (1 tsp is just 27kj or 6cal and makes 500 ml).

Thin, well done on the Korean dinner. It not surprising that it’s healthy, wasn’t it Korea and Iceland that had the healthiest diets/populations in the world?

Intesha, you already have nearly half of the holiday gain gone. Even without the gym that’s good progress.

Cinque, I feel the same about getting to wear my cold weather clothes. I actually find them more interesting – probably because I get to combine more layers of colour and pattern.

Today was feeling a bit like B2B fasts after fasting yesterday. So I’m not worrying about calories today, just very moderate eating. I think as long as I come in at around 800cals it should be ok.

Heading into the city shortly to catch up with people I used to work with for lunch.

Cinque, raising another human being (or two) to grow up to be a good person is the most important job in life that there is. The rest is just stuff. At least that’s the way I see it. Those of us who don’t have children make our own contributions in other ways, but what could be more important than raising a child? Your daughter’s Etsy shop is delightful. She’s very talented! I wish I knew someone who was having a baby because they would make great gifts. I’ll keep watching her shop for scarves and things.

Thin, that Korean restaurant menu looks delicious and mostly all healthy choices. How nice to have a restaurant like that nearby.

Intesha, it looks like your weight loss since the trip is going in the right direction so just keep up with what you’re doing. It seems like weight that we put on quickly on trips or holidays also seems to come off quickly once we get back to normal.

I’ve been sticking pretty close to my target weight without actually fasting since the hospital release but mostly because I’m not very hungry. I think it’s a combination of an added medication and nerves that will just have to straighten itself out.

Lindsay, my sister has slept with a pillow between her knees for years for occasional lower back pain and swears by it. Good advice.

Calif good to know you are out of hospital. While not being hungry is something we all crave (or I do anyway), losing your appetite because of illness and medication is not great. Hope soon you are on top of things. Are you planning to slow down soon?
    Intesha, I often find my weight goes haywire for a few days after a trip – I wonder if it’s all the fluids, or maybe just the pretty dreadful airline food ….if not the food itself, then the quantity.
    Cinque I loved working for Radio Australia, and the the ABC. It was where I met my OH. And now more budget cuts, on top of cuts. I don’t know how they continue to deliver the service they do. More redundancies I guess. I wish our politicians would leave our ABC alone.
    And still daydreaming about boots….when I was in Melbourne a couple of years ago, I was wandering up Glenhuntly Road and came across a pair of red knee high leather boots, with a flat heel. I bought them, despite my OH questioning when I’d ever wear them (too bulky to travel OS with). Then I was at my daughter’s last night, and her OH commented how skinny my legs looked in my black jeans. So, pray with me for a cold day, so I can whip out my boots again and tuck my jeans legs into them. Aren’t I shallow? (and I would like to add that my legs may look skinny, but that’s all!)

I didn’t know that LJ. I don’t know any Icelanders but we have a lot of Korean tourists here and I’ve yet to see an overweight one. A lot of the food is fermented which I forgot to mention above. They offered ‘unlimited refills’ of three side dishes which were kimchi, a bean sprout one and an apple/broccoli salad. You must finish one before asking for more to avoid waste which I also like to see. Great choices instead of the tendency for filling us up with bread, rice & noodles at restaurants. Our selection was also served with a hot stone egg dish that tasted like air, it was so light and fluffy. CalifD, SSAM restaurants are also in the USA but, even if you don’t have that particular one nearby, I bet you have a Korean restaurant.

CalifD, please don’t under-estimate your contribution by not having children. You are doing the planet a valuable service. Neither OH or I planned to have children when we married but our thinking somehow changed along the way (I won’t bore you with the details). I still feel proud that the two of us will only be replaced by one when we depart this world. I say thank you for your smaller footprint!

Cali, I agree with your comments on raising children. It’s a long and difficult responsibility, especially to do it well. I never planned to be childless, it’s just the way my life turned out. Thankfully my sister and friends had kids.

Lindsay – daydreaming of boots! – now that’s something worth dreaming about. I only own one pair and I wore them out to lunch today. Not an op shop find, but very expensive boots and I don’t regret a single dollar spent on them.

I went to lunch and had the minestrone as planned. It was so nice. I love my homemade soups, but I have to admit this one was better than my minestrone. The tomato base had a better flavour and was much thicker than when I make it. Once I’m in my next kitchen I’m going to need to experiment.
    As we were in the Central Market for lunch I bought some oyster mushrooms and chinese broccoli to go in the miso broth for dinner tonight.

Thin, there was a UK documentary series on either ABC or SBS that looked at dozens of countries, and compared what was most commonly eaten, how healthy the population was and how culture or circumstance affected food choices.
    I think this link is about the series I saw http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/30/iceland-has-the-worlds-best-diet-but-its-bad-news-for-the-uk-4781913/
    There was a published ranking that they based the series on, looking at the unhealthiest (Mexico) and gradually working their way through to the healthiest (Iceland and Korea). What was interesting was that the Icelandic diet is high in fish, meat, animal fats, dairy (especially natural yoghurt) and a dense dark rye bread. They eat few fruit and veg, because they can’t be grown there. Koreans eat a lot of vegetables, both fermented and fresh and virtually no dairy or bread. What the two countries had in common is that they both eat largely foods that are grown/raised locally. They both still eat a largely traditional diet – they haven’t been westernised like poor Mexico. They also both have a food culture where meals are not something eaten on the run, but are eaten siting down with family or friends.
    I noticed after seeing this documentary series that Icelandic style yoghurt started appearing on the dairy shelves in the supermarket. The other interesting comment they made about Korea was the culture frowned upon people being overweight. It was considered perfectly polite to chastise someone for gaining weight.
    I’ve just read through the link and it shows how patchy my memory is. The Marshal Island was the worst diet. Looking at the list I can see Korea isn’t even in the top 10, but I do remember them including it in the docco as one of the best. The docco didn’t cover every country, just a representative group in each program.

Thin, just fond one more link on this docco that might be worth a read
    http://www.purwellness.co.uk/worlds-best-diet-part-2/

Looks like it’s still on SBS On Demand
    https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/497692739604/worlds-best-diet

Hi Everyone,

So many posts, and so much happening.

Welcome home Intesha😀 you’ll be back where you were before your trip soon.

Check-in: 65.0kgs, next FD on Friday, then on on Monday when we fly out.

Quick message to CaliD – as an honourary Aussie, unless you’re not aware, it is Eurovision Song Contest time. So as the name suggests the ESC is for all the countries in Europe + , don’t be confused, but to be confusing – + Australia. Because we watched for 30yrs way over here on the other side of the planet, and we asked, pretty please, could we join, and surprisingly, they said yes!

The idea is you have a Eurovisio SC party, even if it’s just you and the TV/computer monitor. Australian SBS TV. 43 countries entering this year, and the last 3 yrs since they said yes, we’ve come 5th, (Guy Sebastian – Malay/Sti-Lankan Australian, winner 1st Aust Idol), 2nd (Dami Im – Sth Korean Australian, winner X Factor), 9th ( Isiaih Firebrace -Indigenous Australian, winner of X factor).

This year’s entrant is Australia’s princess of pop, no not Kylie Minogue, it’s Jessica Mauboy – Indigenous Australian/Indinesian, runner up of one of the Idol years. Of course we aallll want John Farnham to be our entrant but he probably can’t be bothered with all the fuss. John has hits over 5-6 decades, best Australian artist voted by all the other Australian artists, and his hit “You’re the Voice” is really our National Anthem, but nobody else knows that.

What has this to do with 5:2?

Absolutely nothing, but a lot of fun.

Onwards and Downwards
    Merry

Merry, I agree, I’ve been Eurovision tragic for years. Cheering when my favourite song wins points and groaning when that dog of song keeps winning points and I’m wondering where everyone’s taste has gone. Although I have to say I do still miss Terry Wogan’s commentary. He did sarcasm better than anyone I know and always made me laugh. I saw the last half of the semifinal this morning live and have just caught up on the bit I missed this evening.
    I still think Dami was robbed by the overwhelming need to send a political finger to Russia.

We are back, got home about 2am. OH saw the medics this afternoon. Still no certainty about what it is, but insect bite has been eliminated. OH is 6 years too old for routine breast cancer screening, but they are arranging for it to happen. That that will take about three weeks. It won’t happen sooner because they don’t think that is what it is, they are regarding a screening as providing re-assurance. She has been given another lot of the strongest antibiotics known to man but is still having a really uncomfortable time.

Merryme and I had started to talk travel plans but I put have them on hold. I still hope it can happen – we have a few weeks to go. Merry, I will keep you up to date by email.

Good evening fasters,
    I must apologise for not posting for nearly 6 months but I haven’t been fasting since Christmas, until today.
    As I let Merryme know that I had to leave my holidays early at christmas due to sore hands and joints so bad I could not drive some days thus leaving when I was able to drive, I got home and had blood taken out of me, tried all sorts of pills and after 6 weeks the doctor diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis. I am 5 weeks into my treatment to no avail but was told I may not see any change for 10 weeks.
    This is the reason for my not fasting recently as you have to take all the pills with food and the pills took my appetite anyway.
    I am now on a steroid until the arthritis drug starts working but steroids can make some people put on weight and it appears that I am some people. I put on 6kgs in 3 weeks. I started feeling it last week and thought I better check the scales.
    So this morning whilst having my early brekky, I thought there were fasters with all sorts of conditions that made it hard to stick to this WOL so maybe I better man up and have FD to see if a) Fasting helps with the RA symptoms b) Lose the weight I had put on as it can’t be helping my knee’s
    The day went well with no urges or feeling of missing out.
    Good to see many familiar names around I hope you are doing well.
    I will be fine you just need time to sort things out, your not meant to work everything out straight away and hopefully fasting again can help bring back structure and normality to life.
    Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 160g plums 250kj, 200g mandarins 350kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj Total 2100kj or 502cals.

Welcome back Joffy, so good to see your post, not so good about your news but hope everything will be okay. I think this ageing business is for the birds, we all seem to have our little hiccups. Our other superstars who have been doing this WOL with chronic illnesses have to be applauded.

Cali, I’m sorry to not have acknowledged you in my post yesterday. I sincerely hope you are feeling much better and taking it easy.

Weight this morning 71.8. I think most of my gain was due to drinking everyday as I rarely drink at home only when I go out which isn’t very often. It would have been maybe two scotches a night and an occasional wine but combined with being relaxed tends to pile it on. Still not stressing about it, I’m just getting back on that moving horse 🙄🙄

Hi everyone!

It’s been a while since my last post – have just read through all your posts – so much has been happening for you all. No real time to catch up with each one – sorry about that.

My brother is still in hosptial – nothing has been physically/surgically done to correct whatever has gone wrong, so very stressful at the moment.
    He’s being rehydrated, given pain relief, on special protein fluids to rebuild lost muscle after 16kg wt loss in 11 weeks! Blocked artery hasn’t been touched – my nursing background knows further damage is happening! I want to scream at the specialist to do something! Being 2 hours away doesn’t help 😢 Hopefully soon there will be a turning point!

Still trying to be conscious of eating mindfully – let myself down sometimes but hopefully after giving myself a good positive talking to, am heading in the right direction again.
    Went for a good, long walk in the local park yesterday afternoon – both dogs loved it and I felt empowered to continue – a really good feeling!

I sincerely hope you are all feeling good within yourselves and life is being kind to you. If not, take some time out, rest and be kind to yourself! Tomorrow is another day!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Good morning everyone,
    We are meant to be getting two days of weather containing a month’s worth of rain, icy winds, thunderstorms, and hail. But at the moment it is clear and sweet and beautiful. I’ll enjoy it while I can!

What excellent things people wrote about motherhood, daughters and non-motherhood. And about my daughter’s little Etsy shop. Thankyou.

Intesha, welcome home. Back to loads of washing! Oh dear, the humdrum life. I do hope you are finding things to enjoy about being home too, though. (You are going to have to put up with it until your next trip, so you need some home delights.) I can supply you with one delight 😉 I will be very grateful to have you check the business plan.

Thin, you need some new high boots. With skinny calves. I hope you find some gorgeous ones. Ooh that Korean food looked good!
    I hope it was a good bridge session!

I’m another one who has found a pillow under my knees, or knee if I am lying on my side, a great relief.

Lindsay, yes, it was tragic when Radio Australia was cut, and now poor old ABC is being slaughtered. I have been reading calls for crowdfunding to keep it going!
    Your red boots sound gorgeous. I’ll do my best to send some icy winds your way, so you can get them out and wear them on your skinny legs 🙂 .

Merry you are doing so well, and fly away time is getting so close. Watch out for Intesha, she might sneak up and hide in your luggage and then you’ll get whacked with extra fees!

Oh dear, I am so not into Eurovision. If I had some housemates enjoying it I might get into it, and you lot are the closest thing I have to housemates, so I will do my best.

Penguin, I am so glad that Mrs Penguin is home and being watched by the doctors. It sounds like they need to figure out what on earth is going on. Sending good wishes that they do, and that it is something that is easily fixed. All power to the antibiotics.

Joffy sorry to hear your news. What a hard 6 months you have had. Cheers for your first fast day this year! I really hope that 5:2 helps wonderfully with the symptoms and your quality of life. It must be hard with the steroids putting weight on you.

Arelkade, how awful that you can’t be confident about your brother’s care. You do want to have faith in the specialist, but sometimes they seem to be from another planet. Sending good wishes that things improve soon.
    Cheers for your mindful eating and dog walking. Every little bit helps, and every day is a new day.

It is my Thursday Fast Day. HOORAY! I am going to put things to soak, have coffee and work on my business plan, visit my daughter, go for a little doctor’s appt and then probably feel ravenous until miso soup time! Excellent fast day!

Cheers all

Good Morning
    another glorious day in Cairns, getting cooler at night now with 21C last night, daytime around 30C :-))
    I did a slightly longer walk today – google maps says 4.5km -> 56 minutes, it took me 5 minutes longer, but I stopped a couple of times to admire the ocean views along the Esplanade. My 4:3 seems to be going well, it’ll be interesting to see if I can shift some of that stubborn weight. Will weigh myself again next Monday, which makes it 2 weeks of the new 3 FD per week. I need to loose about 10kg, but there is no rush.
    ABC budget freeze – I think there is a concerted effort to dumb down our population. There really are only 2 TV stations worth watching ABC and SBS. But now that Masterchef Australia has started again, I enjoy that as well :-)) such lovely FOOD!

Joffy
    You have my sympathy for what you are trying to adjust to. I have RA too. I was diagnosed when I was 38 (18 years ago). Trying to find a treatment that works and being allowed access to the newer (and very expensive) biologic dMARDs can be a very long drawn out process, and while you wait it feels like you have to put your life on hold. I had limited success with most of the older treatments like methotrexate and arava but have found the new biologics give me excellent remission of symptoms that allow me to live a reasonably normal life. All of the treatments come with side effects, especially susceptibility to infections. Unfortunately getting access to the newer treatments through PBS is a long process as you have to have tried the older treatments first.

Adjusting to having an incurable auto-immune disease takes time. My life really fell in a hole for a while as I tried to adjust to that knowledge. I think it took me three years to accept my reality and focus on what I can do. In that time I’d gained 30kg, stopped exercising and my movement, inflammation and pain was worse because of that. That you have realised after 6 months that there might be things, other than drug treatment, that you can do is excellent. You were much faster than I was getting to this point.

I can’t tell you that fasting helps RA symptoms, because I’ve never been able to prove that. What I do know is that weight gain increases inflammation levels which means pain and stiffness will be worse. To give you an idea: My ESR (blood test for inflammation levels) is around 50 when I’m not on any rheumatoid treatment, it’s around 20-25 on my current treatment if my weight goes over 80kg, but if I keep my weight in the low 70s my ESR is under 10 (normal). The other thing that helps is movement. Activity that gently maximises your range of movement is very helpful. It’s a balancing act of doing enough but not too much and you only find that one out by trial and error.

I had an older sister with RA so I knew what to expect but I can imagine it’s quite frightening not know where this disease will take your life – and it often does feel like your life’s been hijacked by a disease. It’s important to have others with lived experience to let you know that you will find a new “normal” for your life.

Joffy I’m going to ask JJ to give you my email address. If you have any questions about RA or the various treatments I’m happy to discuss that with you through email if you don’t want to do it on this forum.

Thanks for the link to the articles LJ. I have a feeling I may have watched that doco once before.

Cinque, you have a busy FD planned. All the best for it.

Welcome back Joffy! It is concerning when a regular suddenly ‘drops off’ and we don’t know what happened so I was pleased to read your post and to learn that you’re back into your minestrone and coffee FDs. I hope you get your RA medication sorted out soon and well and truly back into your former ‘belt tightening’ mode.

Arel, I hope I didn’t scare you off recounting how I handle 5:2 / 6:1 on my holidays. There’s always a disclaimer that readers can take or leave any suggestions offered. Everyone is different and fits 5:2 into their life however they feel best. Best wishes to your brother for some speedy medical intervention.

We watched Eurovision enthusiastically as a family when I was a child. My fave was, ‘Sandy Shaw’s ‘Puppet On A String’. I saw her perform barefoot at Brighton’s Dome with The Tremeloes, my first ever ‘pop star’ concert. I’m afraid as an adult I found it all very corny. And I thought it was a rather silly idea to include Australia – the clue being in the title. I never watch commercial TV and for years had confined my viewing to ABC and SBS but am so happy to have found Netflix as I can’t handle biased journalism or being spoon-fed how to think. My grandmother said it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things. She said this to me because I’d told her that my friends were making fun of me for liking Abba, another Eurovision success story. Since then, I never feared expressing a different viewpoint. In case you were wondering. 😆

I hope all those with ailments feel better soon. It’s a sunny, warm day and I shall go looking for dolphins.

Hi Sybs, Cinque, Arel, Intesha, Penguin, Thin, Merry, Lindsay, Quacka, Joffy. I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone.

This is just a quick post before the nurse arrives to do my abatacept infusion.

I sign the papers with the conveyancer for the house purchase and sale tomorrow, so things are moving forward whether I’m ready or not.

I got though my “almost a FD” yesterday. I had a banana mid-morning, minestrone at the Italian cafe for lunch, and a miso broth with ginger, chinese broccoli, oyster mushrooms and sesame oil for dinner (and cups of tea of course). I don’t know how many calories that was but I doubt it was more than 7-800,(even though I ate the bread that came with the minestrone). I’m happy with that calorie level, given that I did a proper FD the day before.

NFD today and I’ve eaten a small bowl of muesli with kefir and a slice of the fruit & walnut sourdough that I bought at the market yesterday.

Hi Everyone! I know there are new members of this forum that I haven’t gotten to know! Hello to you too! I know I write so randomly that to others it probably feels like an interruption to the flow of a fast paced river when I post! …An interruption to story lines. In any case, I’m glad I’m still welcome to post so randomly!

Great to read your post Joffy. I’ve had a health issue that has caused detours in my fasting at times. For similar reasons I’ve had to take time off, a week or two here and there. Good on you for returning after a 6 month break. One of my inspirations for starting 5:2 took some months off and never got back to it and looks again like she did before she started. …She didn’t have a health issue interfering either! My memory of seeing her before, after and then after like before is one motivation to keep returning!

Congrats on the house sale and purchase LJ! I remember you’d written about selling and moving house back when I was more active on this thread. Sounds like you’ve found a good new home. Exciting!

Thin and Merry, I too would love to see John Farhnam sing in Eurovision! …It might motivate me to watch this year!

Cinque, I’ve been thinking of you a lot recently as I’ve scored a number of great outfits from various Op shops! It’s so much fun to find clothes that look like they may never have been worn and which are stylish (sometimes well respected labels) and fit well! I remember when I was larger, I would sometimes buy new clothes that were just that bit too tight and say to myself ‘Well, I’m planning on losing that extra kilogram. I’ll buy this and be able to wear it when I do!’ …Of course back then, I never was able to lose that extra kilogram and always ended up putting on extra kilograms and that item of clothing invariably ended up in a pile I would take to the Op shop! Often I think that some of the Op shop clothes I buy might be from people who are in the same boat I had been in!? The last pile of clothes I took to the Op shop were because I’ve gone the other way and the larger sizes no longer serve, thanks only to 5:2 of course!

Two colleagues at work gave 5:2 a ‘go’ since they see me fast. Neither has continued. One said that she developed stomach pains. The other said that she didn’t do well counting calories in general and that it somehow made her feel obsessive. Different horses for courses I guess! …Some of our work customers who can’t remember names refer to me as ‘the skinny one’. I’ll take that as a compliment while I wonder what those customers call the larger ladies when they can’t remember their names!?! …Tee, hee!

I fasted yesterday and my weight and blood glucose levels this morning were both stellar! Happy fasting to all!

Hi Minka, please do keep popping in when you can. It sounds like you are thriving on 5:2. How lovely to be referred to as the skinny one. I remember soon after reaching my goal weight that I had to visit a specialist doctor I’d not met before. I heard her say the words, “well, you’re not overweight so we don’t have to worry about that” but it didn’t really sink in that she was talking about me until the drive home. I also remember seeing my reflection in a shop window or watching a slim person come towards me through an airport glass screen and not immediately realising that that person was me.

I, too, have struggled with some of the excuses why people couldn’t continue with (or start) 5:2 but, as we’ve discovered, not everyone can do this. And we have yet to discover whether we can sustain it long-term. So, cheers to us!

All the best with your infusion today, LJ.

Good evening,
    It is freezing here! Trying to send some your way Lindsay, but it doesn’t want to shift.

Sybs, glad to hear your 4:3 is going so well. I hope the scales have a lovely surprise for you when you step on.

LJoyce, I do hope your infusion went well.

Hi Minka, skinny one! Cheers for some lovely op shop finds!
    Yes, pre 5:2 I also had chests full of clothes at each stage of fatness, waiting for me to get back down to them. Thanks to no sugar and 5:2, I did, but I wizzed through them (over a couple of years) and only have a handful of them as they all got too baggy.

I saw a post on this forum about Dr Mosley’s recent articles

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5669191/Dr-Michael-Mosley-new-Mediterranean-5-2-diet.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5694499/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-Youve-started-heres-new-5-2-diet-going.html

(I must say that his three option approach is very much taking after my darling Dr Xand’s book ‘How to lose weight well’).

It also makes me wonder if this website will be revamped, or if he will ditch this one and make a new one?

Well, it is just about time for me to start making my lovely big bowl of miso soup. Good evening all.

Hi again everyone – 2nd post

Thank you Cinque and Thin for your kind comments for my brother. The good news is, his Specialist ‘sacked himself’ after ceasing IV steroids, starting oral – which completely inflammed my brother’s stomach, much pain, then he restarted IV again. Admitted he had done wrong and removed himself as care giver! Brother is having endoscopy with ultrasound next Monday – a biopsy of his ischaemic pancreas will be taken, if steroids do reduce inflammation – fingers crossed, he will get better! Sorry if this sounds like a rant – just a concerned Sister!

Thin, you didn’t upset me with your comment re holiday fasting – you reassured me that I should stick we what works for me, and what you said was very true. I need to stick with routine, be mindful and accountable to myself – for it’s very easy to get off track – I really thought I could take 10 days off and all would be good! My recent holiday was the first in a very long time.
    Won’t do it again – promise 😉

LJoyce, enjoyed your very informative comments to Joffy – so thoughtful of you to share your experiences with RA, with her and also with us – thank you. All the best tomorrow when signing your papers for your new abode – such an exciting time for you! I hope you are ok after your infusion today.

Cinque, I enjoyed your links to Dr Moseley’s new 5:2 diet. I’ve just restarted reading ‘CSIRO Low Carb Diet’ which also mentions the Mediterranean diet. It’s also low carb, high fat and increased protein! Also Australian in origin! Sounds interesting to me and would still allow a 5:2 WOE/WOL. The overall health benefits sound amazing, and is also scientifically based! Must keep reading 😉

I hope you all enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Hi everyone,

Arelkade – I hope everything goes well for your brother; a difficult time for all of you. At least the specialist had enough sense to know he wasn’t the right doctor for your brother. I 2nd others in suggesting you try to stay in a 5:2 rhythm as much as you can.

Minka- you skinny one! Good to hear from you.

Joffy – so good to have you back on here, but so sorry to hear of confirmation of the RA. You have a wonderful companion on here with LJ having walked the RA 5:2 walk ahead of you, and now with you. It’s a challenge having your weight gone up a bit with the medication, but when it comes to 5:2 you. are.the.man! You have done 5:2 perfectly and you’re starting your RA journey at a much lighter weight than before 5:2. You’ve got a lot of 5:2 learnng under your belt about how you individually react to food already, so I know you’ll do this.

Hi Sybs and Intesha, penguin, Thin, Cinque, LJ, anyone I’ve missed.

penguin – thinking of you both.

Intesha- I was hoping we could have a quick catch up before we left for o/seas on Monday but that’s not going to work out.

It seems DFIL has left us a last piece of chaos. We have had “stuff” of his downstairs, laid out, being sorted out . He kept himself partially occupied by a daily visit to op shops, always buying something, including pieces of furniture he replaced some of his with. Daily purchases for several years! Hundreds and hundreds of things – not just furniture, but hundreds of CDs , DVDs, books, several leather jackets, gadgets, photo albums, many, many ornaments and decorator items.

So, this morning, we discovered we need a pest control rescue urgently. “Have you been buying furniture from op shops?” They asked. Oh joy😕😟🙃 aaaarghhhh. Fortunately, we’ve found it very quickly, early days, but you know how these things go. You probably won’t hear from me now till we’re at the airport in a few days ready to go, hoping we’re not coming home to disaster. Pest control guy coming in the morning first thing.

Didn’t do my FD today, but calmer tonight after a bit of a panic and lots of work for both of us today. Will do my 2nd FD of the week tomorrow.

I know we all like a really good op shop find, but please check everything thoroughly, wash in hot water, stand in the sun, all those things that you need to do to make sure pests don’t arrive in your house with your purchases.

Onwards and Downwards
    If you fall off the horse get back on,
    Merry and OH

Channel hopping across the TV I stumbled across the heats for the Eurovision Song Contest. The Australian entry was coming up, so I sat through two others to see it. A touch of the Tina Turners in the approach, which is not a bad thing. I would say that she is in with a chance, but that comes with the warning that the last time i got it right was for Abba!

Good morning everyone!
    Thought I’d share this post, shared by Coda in the ‘May 2018 Challenge’ forum – may help some of us here!:
    per Coda
    Saw this and thought I would share to have in our armoury when we need to fight dragons.

5 WAYS TO BOUNCE BACK FROM A BINGE
    Thanks to the brilliant team at MAN v FAT for this blog post.

It’s not something we like to admit to, but binge eating is extremely common among people who are trying to lose weight. It doesn’t matter how much weight you lose or how healthy your diet is, it’s likely there’ll come a time where you think ‘why did I eat all that?!’ as you bin the evidence of last night’s biscuit-fest.
    So here’s 5 ways to bounce back from a binge.

1. Don’t: try and ‘make up for it’

After a spell of overeating, it can seem only natural to want to rein it in a bit by restricting what you eat to minimise the damage. But that’s not really how it works – if you go too far the other way and deprive yourself of food you’re more likely to experience another binge eating episode when you get so hungry that you eat whatever junk you can get your hands on. And then you’ll feel guilty and disappointed in yourself again, then like you need to cut back to compensate for it and it’ll all become a vicious circle that is extremely difficult to break out of. So don’t try and make up for it – instead, accept that it has happened and move on.

2. Do: get back to normal as soon as possible

How many times have you fallen off the wagon and thought ‘screw it, I may as well keep eating sh*t and start again on Monday’? We get it – there’s something very appealing about starting fresh on a shiny new week, but what’s the point? Take control now. Make your next meal the one where you get back to your normal healthy habits. You’re not going to be any happier if you’ve got another weekend of excess eating (quite literally) under your belt – you’re just going to feel even more sluggish and it’ll be even more difficult to get back to normal and then you’ll be even further away from your goals.
    In the wise words of Unknown, if you had one flat tire you wouldn’t slash the other three (unless…would you? Weirdo) and so you shouldn’t give up on your goal because of one setback.

3. Do: drink water

Although you shouldn’t fall for the idea of ‘detoxing’ your body (spoiler: your body is pretty good at ‘detoxing’ itself without special smoothies and juices), you should definitely up your water intake. Drinking water will stop you from getting dehydrated from all the sodium you’ve likely just consumed and it will also help with digestion, making it less likely that you’ll become constipated.

4. Do: get moving

When you’re feeling lethargic and full after binge eating, you’re probably going to want to just lie on the sofa doing nothing except possibly clutching your belly and wailing, but although it’ll feel like the last thing you want, the best thing you can do is to get active. We’re not talking taking on a round of Insanity or heading straight to a spin class after polishing off a family-sized bag of crisps, but get yourself up and moving. Go for a walk and blow off the cobwebs – it doesn’t need to be an especially long walk, but getting yourself out of the house will take your mind off that uncomfortable full feeling and will help your body start to process all the excess food.

5. Do: cut yourself some slack

Most importantly, don’t beat yourself up about it. Changing a lifetime’s worth of unhealthy eating habits is a monumental task and it’s not always going to be smooth sailing. Instead of berating yourself, try and see it as something to learn from. This is how you’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again, although let’s be honest, it probably will happen again purely because it’s such a hard habit to break. It can take a lot of time and effort to overcome.

If you think about the whys and hows of this binge eating episode, hopefully you’ll be able to identify what triggered it so you’ll be better prepared for the next time you come across the same feelings. Had a long and stressful day at work which made you seek comfort in a whole tub of Ben & Jerry’s? Next time you start to feel frazzled, go for a walk, do some yoga or an exercise or activity you enjoy to destress instead of turning to food.

End of shared post!

Thank you Merryme for you kind words re: my brother. Hopefully, his turnaround will be soon! Enjoy your holiday.

Penguin: I think the last time I saw Eurovision was when Abba won as well – may need to catch up: Jessica is very popular in Australia! I hope your wife is recovering well from her ? bite!

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Jessica Mauboy – only 1 word for that performance – Deadly!

And in the rehearsal clip, tho not so much from the camera angles of the semi-final, a wee bit of aboriginal dance movement gets in there.

Must go,
    back later,
    Merry

Eeew, Merry! Are we talking about fleas? You’ve put me right off op shopping now. You did make me laugh about your DFIL leaving you one last challenge even after he’s departed. I’m glad you’re getting so much mileage out of the ESC. Safe travels to you and OH. Have a wonderful time. You deserve it.

Arel, back on the wagon now?

It’s 30C in Perth today! Can you believe that? Only 1C less than Sybs’ tropical wx. The endless summer.

Disclaimer nothing 5:2 in this post.

LOL Thin – no, DFIL, he didn’t leave us fleas or the dreaded bedbugs (TYG), but carpet beetles, still at larval stage, not very many, only downstairs not upstairs.

There’s a strong, freezing cold wind here today Right now we’re sitting in the car, in the sun, after having a hot drink for me, breakfast for OH at a cafe nearby. The house is locked up doing it’s fumigating thing while we have a well earned rest. We slept on a blow up bed on a tiled area last night.

Re Eurovision, I haven’t been able to watch it every year but I remember picking a few winners – Lorde from Norway with Hard Rock Hallelujah – the amazingly costumed monster band with the lead singer sprouting wings and fireworks out of his double-bladed axe; Ukraine’s first win, can’t remember the name, long trumpets, leather and fur clad dancers, looking like an invasion of the goths/visigoths from 1500 yrs ago; Austria’s transgender lady with the beard, Conchetta(sp) Wurst with Fly Like a Pheonix, great voice and stage presence; and last year’s fragile fellow beautifully singing his sister’s song, from Portugal of course. I did think Dami Im had a real chance of winning the year before that, but the winner, from Ukraine(?) though it might have been a flip off to Russia, was a gut-wrenching tribute to her grandmother, and rather extraordinary. I do think Eurovision got a surprise when we sent Guy Senastian over in our first year – “Oh, the Aussies are serious about this. They really want to win.” Seemed to be the reaction.

Whatever, right now, for me Eurovision is a welcome distraction of music, joyous nonsense (Israel, who could actually win), and infectious crowd noises and douz (sp)points, along with a bit of ‘what will Lee Lin Chin wear this year!

Off to the exercise physiologist and hairdresser.
    Merry

I once got woodworm in the house from a second hand desk.
    Any fleas always come in with the cat.

I can’t imagine 30C anymore Thin. It’s 14 here and raining.

Arelkade hooray for the self sacking specialist. Hopefully now things can start going right.

Very good binge recovery advice.

And yes, cheers for the Mediterranean diet, it has been the sensible consistent one as fads come and go.

Merry hooray you got pest control before you left. Good luck with getting everything done over the next few days. So exciting.
    Edit: your post came in as I wrote. Nice to read. Enjoy that cuppa in the sun.

Penguin, Abba was an excellent call! Hope Mrs Penguin is feeling better.

I’m enjoying day-after-fast-day!

Best wishes all

Hi Minka, Thin, Cinque, Joffy, Thin, Penguin, Arel, Sybs, Merry, Intesha, Quacka, Cali, Lindsay and anyone I’ve forgotten – is it my imagination or is this list getting longer?

I walked into town this morning to sign the conveyancing papers, then had to dodge the rain on the walk home. I’m amazed at how fast a blue sky can turn white.

I then had to sand down part of the front door paintwork and repaint it – done one coat so far. For some reason one section of pain had developed bubbles – how does that happen when I used the same paint on the whole door)? As a sale contract says that a house must be left in the condition it was in on signing it meant I had to fix it, as I’m pretty sure the bubbles weren’t there when the buyers viewed the house. It’s cold inside but I need to leave the front door open. I just hope the paint dries in time for me to get the second coat on this afternoon.

Arel, thanks for those binge recovery tips. They describe me alarmingly well. I still have overeating episodes, though thankfully they are not as bad or as frequent as they once were. My immediate reaction is that I have to fast tomorrow and add more FDs this week. This invariably leads to some very uncontrolled eating on the few NFDs I’m allowing myself. Not a good pattern.

I’m going to make some lunch and hope for dry paint soon.

MM is on SBS on Monday, 14 May, at 8.30pm

Today is my 3rd FD this week, and still feeling good about my new regime. Saturday and Sunday are my next NFD. Isn’t it funny that NFDs tend to be more of a worry than FDs? The concern of falling back into old eating patterns, and actually having to be more careful than on FDs, making sure not to “over-compensate” MM says that full fat yoghurt is better for the gut than low/no fat, so I’ll be changing back to full fat Greek Yoghurt, but making sure not to go over 100g per serve. I’ll also try to do 2 walks each day, my problem is that I am a morning person, so I am not sure whether the intention is going to turn into reality :-))

to everyone a lovely weekend. To Mrs Penguin fast recovery from her ailment.

Sybs, I’ve been a full fat everything girl ever since meeting FreyaT and CharliesMum for coffee dates years ago. The only exception is cottage cheese and LJ explained the processing of it as a reason for FF cottage cheese being so much more expensive and hard to find than LF. FreyaT used to bring along her coconut oil for coffee which CM described as an oil slick. CM taught me not to buy anything that had been ‘messed with’ as she put it, such as low fat dairy products. You never know what you might learn from the knowledgeable people on this thread. LF products often contain more sugar and are less satiating.

Yes I agree, NFDs are harder to conquer (still a work in progress for me). But then again, sticking rigidly to the FDs as I do, I find it doesn’t really matter, at least not in terms of weight maintenance. Over time, I found my food desires and portions changed significantly without much conscious effort.

The thing is LJ, we’re still the same people we always were, so there will always be that tendency to revert back to old habits. But as you say, the incidences become fewer and fewer. And, let’s face it, there’s nothing that tastes as good as being slim feels!

I have just run into someone not seen since our children were in school. She was always the slim one of the crowd. Not so now. She didn’t mentioned my weight but I know she’d have noticed that I’m now slimmer than her. he he he! Such a confidence boost.

And LJ – relax! You are exhausting me.

Merry, shame you couldn’t have scheduled that pest control to co-incide with your trip to the airport.

Cinque, did your busy FD whizz by yesterday?

I’ve just finished the second coat of paint on the door. Hoping that’s the last paint brush I have to handle for a very long time.

Thin – “there’s nothing that tastes as good as being slim feels” Not even a Portuguese custard tart?
    I do buy full fat pot set greek yoghurt. I don’t like the full fat yoghurts that are made in a vat and then put in containers because if you read the ingredients it’s clear they’ve been messed with too – they add skim milk powder and sometimes whey protein powder to make the yoghurt thicker and creamier.
    I have continued to use low fat milk because I use most of it in cups of tea and I don’t like the yellow oil slick that full cream milk leaves on the top of my cup of tea (I don’t even want to imagine what coconut oil would do – yuk). I do think that skim milk is traditional, but only if you also eat butter. My mother grew up on a farm and they kept cows. They skimmed all of their milk and used the skimmed milk then used most of the cream to make butter. You are still having the whole milk, just as skim milk, cream and butter.

Cinque, every time the Mediterranean diet gets discussed, I’m uncomfortably aware of how little fish I eat, especially the oily variety.

Sybs, well done on getting through 5 days with 3 of then FDs. That’s a pattern that would (and has) have me binge eating every NFD. I’m impressed that you’ve handled this and still feel good about it. I hope you get a reward on the scales.

Time for a cuppa – with reduced fat milk – no oil slick. 😀

This thread has certainly been busy the past couple of days! Joffy, it’s good to see you here again but so sorry to hear of all you’ve been going through these past 6 months. And so nice of LJoyce to offer her knowledge on dealing with RA. From what she’s described here about getting her house ready for sale, I’d say she is doing very well with her condition. And the added activity and fasting seem to have helped her, along with her treatments of course. She will be a good person to offer advice.

Arel, I’m glad to here your brother has a new specialist who can hopefully get his treatments and medications heading in the right direction.

Penguin, how are the new antibiotics working for Mrs. P? I hope she will soon be feeling better. Have they any idea yet what caused it?

Sybs, you’re an inspiration with your long walks lately. I clearly need to do more of that both for the exercise and to relieve anxiety.

Merry, thank your for the explanation about Eurovision. I was not aware of it but have watched some YouTube and other videos with past performances. Some of them are pretty wild! It looks like great fun in any case. When is the final date with the winner announced? Your story of the pest problems with the op shop furniture will make me think twice next time we buy and second hand items. We’ve been lucky in the past with a desk and dining room set, but we’ve had them for a long time now. I always wash any clothing that I buy. It’s so much fun shopping there which I hadn’t done in years until a few of you here got me interested in it again. I’ve found lots of really nice things at very low prices.

Minka, how nice to be referred to as “the skinny one”. That would certainly make me smile. Skinny Minny?

LJoyce, I thought your paintbrush days on that house were over too. Since signing all these papers you must be getting close to your moving date. Maybe once you’re in your new home you can just put your feet up on some of the unpacked boxes and take a couple day break with some nice pots of tea! But I think we know you better than that. You’ll probably be just as busy settling into the new place. Hopefully you’ll have enough warm days left in the season to enjoy that beautiful new veranda.

Thin, I usually like the full fat yogurts too and especially the Greek ones that are so popular now. I’d rather eat less of something that’s full fat and enjoy it more than a low fat version which isn’t that satisfying and loaded with fillers or sweeteners.

Cinque, thank you for posting the links on the 5:2. I’m going to go back and read them now. There have been so many posts plus the Eurovision things that I can’t seem to stay caught up.

My mind has been elsewhere for the last few days, so I have only been skimming the posts. I realised that I needed to say something to Arelkade about the hospital experience, which sounds horrendous, clicked on and the first thing I saw was the binge recovery advice. Since we got back I have managed to put on about 4 pounds so that was very timely.

The antibiotics seem to have started to work. We still don’t know what the problem is and it still looks bad and is uncomfortable, but it is not as bad as it was. Relief all round.

Hi penguin:

Don’t worry about your weight. There is a much more important to issue occupy your thoughts. It is good news things seem to be getting better.

My prayers are with your wife and you.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,851 through 15,900 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.