Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 2 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,951 through 16,000 (of 28,011 total)

• The inevitable someone who does these things has surveyed the British population for their interest level in the wedding. There is, as ever, mass media hysteria but something approaching half of the population won’t be watching. That comes with the warning that for all of our recent elections the survey predictions have been very wrong.

We did discuss crumpets, pikelets and muffins and debate which was which. What I think I forgot to mention was that crumpet is also an old fashioned slang term for a woman or women. Not often heard these days except in the old black and white films.

Lindsay, face to face refusals are the most difficult. I don’t blame you for agreeing to work.

Cali, I heard on our tv that there a re 5000 media descending on Windsor, and that apparently includes every US network. I think you’ll be spoiled for choice with coverage. Enjoy it with a cuppa and buttered crumpets. I always think of crumpets as cold weather fare, but it sounds like it’s cold enough over there at present to enjoy them.

Penguin, yes I remember that discussion, it went on for a while. I pulled out my bible (Elizabeth David’s history of British yeasted cooking) to bolster my arguments about what was what. And yes, crumpet has that other meaning too, although it’s a description usually only used be peoples grandfathers these days.

I’ve finished another NFD, and made a further dent in the freezer stash. Fasting tomorrow. Still no news on my buyers finance, but I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

LJ I am a grandfather of 15 year olds and I think it pretty much went out of use before my time.

It is sunny here and has been for several days, but today is colder. This is confusing the wild life. There is a hedgehog, normally nocturnal, on my lawn at mid-day. I am very glad to see it. They are no where near as numerous as they were and anything that eats slugs and snails is welcome in my garden.

I have no idea how my fast went – grandchild sitting overnight for my youngest so I didn’t get weighed this morning.

Hello everyone,
    Too crook yesterday to chat, but feeling a bit better today. Had a good easy fast day and enjoying my morning breakfast.

Thin, I adore that ‘man cold’ clip. I think a lot of people who say ‘manflu’ these days (is that just a Melbourne thing?) don’t even realise it originated from that skit. Ofcourse, I am getting by with a little bit of lemsip 😉

Oh the weather! Apparently we have been getting freezing weather off the antarctic, that then heads into Central Australia and warms up, and then rolls down onto Perth at 25 degrees or more.
    I am very grateful for my little home and my heater and warm things.

Lindsay, so sorry to hear of your little croupy ones. How exhausting for everyone. I do hope they are improving now.
    And how difficult to have your fast day sabotaged by social niceties. I’m glad you managed the rest of the day around it. Even with the hungerdragon awake and roaring!

LJoyce I hope you get house certainty today.

Do say hello to your hedgehog Penguin, I hope it eats up all your slugs and snails. And I bet you can tell how your fast went by how you feel and how your clothes feel. Who needs scales!

Well, I am about ready to curl up on the couch again. Best wishes all.

Cinque, rest up and get better soon.
    Not sure what was wrong with me yesterday but the headache and sore throat are both gone today.

Penguin, for the crumpet reference I was tinging of men a generation older than you.
    How lovely to have to have such a helpful hedgehog – even a confused one.

I notice on the news that the ABC just interviewed some Australians who were camping our for their viewing spot for the Windsor wedding. I wonder if Merry made good on her thought of trying to get there. I can imagine anything worse than battling those crowds and the lack of clean toilets that invariably follows. Has anyone else noticed that access to clean facilities becomes a bigger deciding factor as you get older? Our bladders just seem to be that bit more unable to hang on for extended periods of time.

I had a very poor night’s sleep, about 3 hours from 5-8am. Although I didn’t feel like fasting, it’s good thing I am, as I invariably spend the day snacking when I’ve slept badly the night before. I’ve been sleeping so well lately that last night was a surprise. Hopefully the tiredness I feel today will get my sleep pattern back to normal tonight.

It’s cold and very wet here. I just had to go out in the rain to clear leaves out of the stormwater drain, so I’m a bit damp. In autumn it seems to need clearing at least daily and sometimes twice a day if it’s windy. Time to dry off and warm up. I’m about to have my second pot of tea for the day. I’ll be drinking it in front of the fire I’ve just lit.

LJ I laughed at the prospect of camping out without a loo. Chances of needing to go, just as the carriage rattles through Windsor’s high street, would be pretty high, I’d imagine. I’ve been reading with interest (!) people’s comments (Australian newspaper) about the couple and her family in particular. My goodness people can be judgmental without having any real inkling of the facts or people involved. Instant experts. It’s so easy to be cruel, with the anonymity of blogs. But then, this one is so so different. Is it because we are a community, not just a random bunch of folk? I love the kindness of this site.
    Cinque sorry you’ve been unwell. Hope you are back on your toes very soon. My little girls are improving, but more steroids, which worries us. Our GP is a treasure and it’s good to be able to trust him. He’s young, clever, and treats us all (the entire family) as if we have our share of grey matter which is terrific. That patronising pat on the head of yesterday’s medical profession is not missed.
    How’s your fast going LJ? I’m doing my third this week, but thinking I don’t need to be as rigid with dinner. My OH did point out we’ve had soup 4 times this week. I pointed out it will be 5, unless he cooks tonight (which is not likely). He’s a gem, but hasn’t found his way to the stove yet.

I am doing my 3rd FD this week as well, and just like Lindsay, I relax a little at dinner. Still soup, but with some buckwheat (which actually isn’t wheat at all) mixed in.
    I am on a mission – trying to find rye grains (berries?), maybe someone has a suggestion where I can buy some – preferably unprocessed and organic. I checked at one of the larger bulk stores here in Cairns, but could not find any.

Hello again,
    Having a cuppa.
    Cheers to you third fast-dayers!

Lindsay, isn’t it a wonderful relief to have a good doctor!
    Best wishes the little ones keep picking up well.
    Now tell me, was it the SAME soup each night?

LJoyce, so glad you are better today. Fingers crossed you hear good news about the house sale and have a deep, long, refreshing sleep tonight.
    And I bags one too, while you are at it.

Sybs, I don’t think I have ever seen rye berries for sale. I guess you need an Eastern European community who would demand them. Good luck.

Still sniffling. Cheers all.

after posting I googled ( I know, it’s back to front :-)) and found a company I could order it from, but it comes in 5kg lots, and that’s way to much.

Haha Cinque, no it wasn’t. Homemade pea and ham two nights, pumpkin (from Thin’s delicious recipe over on the Fast Diet page), minestrone, and tonight it is going to be store bought – Chicken and vegetables from the very fine Pitanga range … with some extra veges thrown in. I am totally bushed after three very intense days, and the worry of the littlies, so doubt I’ll be up long enough to be hungry.
    Our doctor is a young Vietnamese/Australian man, and I don’t think we could have anyone more caring or knowledgeable. He looks after us all – from the little ones to my OH, who’s the head of the family (or the pastryiarch, according to Miss 4, who coined the term when she was 3, and it’s stuck).
    Hope we all have a good night’s sleep. Don’t we deserve it 🙂

Penguin, I think the least you could do for that snail eating hedgehog is to put out a little pot of melted butter and garlic to upgrade his dining experience to escargot! 🐌

Lindsay, glad to hear your littles are improving, even if it’s taking steroids to make that happen. They do have their place for some conditions that don’t seem to respond to anything else.
    I can’t imagine camping out to see the Royal carriage pass by without a proper loo very close by. And don’t forget a good quality toilet paper as well!
    I agree that the media can be cruel when it comes to personal family details that are none of anyone else’s business. I think having 24/7 news shows tends to exaggerate everything. They have to find something to talk about for all that time that will pull viewers in. When there isn’t real news, they just make stuff up.

Cinque, hope you’re feeling better today. When the weather turns it seems like there are always a lot of people with colds. At least feeling poorly makes food less attractive and FDs easier!

LJ, hope you get news on your house today. It feels like a long week!

Hi all, Thanks for the hopes for an answer on the house. Still no news, so I doubt I’ll hear today. I think I might throw caution to the wind and start packing this weekend anyway.

Lindsay, so glad your 3 FDs is still going well. Looks like your hubby is counting the bowls of soup that appear in front of him. I must say I never mind soup as a FD meal and it always feels like a treat on a NFD when I can have bread with it.
    As expected, my body is craving calories today to make up for the lack of sleep and lethargy. For lunch I had a small apple, cut into wedges and spread with a little peanut paste. Then mid-afternoon I was hungry again so I cut a carrot into sticks and had it with 15g cheddar. For dinner I’ll make a large stir fry with konjac noodles, broccoli, cauliflower, capsicum, spinach, mushrooms and a few cashews. It will make enough for tonight and also my next FD dinner (Sunday or Monday). This should be the last meal I have to cook in this kitchen. From here on my meal plan involves nothing more onerous than defrosting and reheating.
    Lindsay, if your hubby is the pastryiarch, you could suggest he bakes some sausage rolls to go with his soup.

Cali, I had to giggle at the garlic butter idea. I suspect English hedgehogs aren’t used to French Cuisine.
    It’s not good quality toilet paper that’s missing – it’s usually paper of any kind. One of the first lessons I learned when traveling around Europe was to make sure I always has a packet of tissues with me to deal with that eventuality.

Sybs, I have found rye grains at a large organic health food market that’s not far from my home (they sell a lot of bulk loose grains, flours etc, so I can buy as little ot much as I like). If I can’t find the whole grain I use kibbled rye (the whole grain cut into 6-8 pieces – I soak this and add it to bread doughs) or rolled rye (the whole grain rolled flat – I use this in porridge). Of the two, the kibbled rye is closest in texture to the whole grain I’d suggest you look for the largest health food store you can find and see if they have it.

Cinque, it sounds like you need Lindsay to make to you some chicken soup! 🙂

STOP THE PRESSES – my agent just called – my buyers finally have finance approval. Can I breathe again now?

LJoyce https://ccsts.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/celebrations.gif

Woopee! Enjoy packing!

Yummy sounding soups Lindsay. I made a minestrone type this week (with added kimchi 😉 ), and my miso soup.

O I would love some chicken soup. But I am well enough to cook a yummy meal tonight including roasting eggplant and butternut my sister brought down from the farm (passed carefully around the wire door as she has spent months recovering from dreadfully painful shingles and doesn’t want to catch anything right now thanks).

Yummy sounding soups Lindsay. I made a minestrone type this week, and my miso soup.

Let’s all sleep well!

LJ. Good news, now relax. Or start packing.

Cali. My youngest grand daughter is convinced that hedgehogs like cat food and OH thinks a saucer of milk. Like all country gardeners, I think I have rats at the bottom of my garden, so I am doing neither of those things.

LJ, English hedgehogs may not be accustomed to escargot, but that isn’t a purely French habit. There are Brits who eat snails, even breed them for eating. My Father came from an area of Somerset where the eating snail was known as “Wall fruit”.

My sourdough starter was in the fridge whilst I was grandchild sitting. I took it out last night and it seems fine so I will make some bread today.

Weather fine again. Given the reputation of our weather, sunshine every day for the last week and forecast to stay that way for nine of the next ten days is probably confusing Merry as well as the wild life. It will be crowded in Windsor. The morning news has just told me that there are 27 hours to go and absolutely nothing else seems to be happening anywhere on the planet.

fantastic news LJoyce!

kibbled rye sounds good – would you have a recipeor maybe a link for your bread? no hurry, I understand that you have other priorities :-))

Not a great day for all – I have just seen a dead hedgehog on my neighbour’s lawn. Probably the one I saw yesterday. On it’s back but apparently intact, which suggests one of the neighbourhood cats rather than the fox who comes through the gardens every night.

That fox has a sense of humour. When I had dogs Charlie (don’t ask me why, but foxes are called Charlie) would steal any toys left out and take them a couple of hundred yards to the old castle ruins and leave them there.

The sourdough is rising quicker than it normally does.

Thanks Sybs, Cinque and Penguin.
    I’ll be relaxing (and sleeping) tonight and start packing tomorrow.

Just finished eating my stir fry. Not only was it yummy, it allowed me to use the last of a few things in the pantry, which will reduce the amount I have to pack. There should now be no reason for me to turn on the stove again before I leave. Just reheating required from now on.

Sybs, I usually cringe when people ask for recipes. Not that I don’t have a lot, I just never follow them exactly. Now matter how hard I try I just can’t seem to stop myself adding or substituting things.
    One thing I will say about kibbled rye is that you treat it a bit like a dry legume. Pour boiling water over it the day before you want to use it. After a few hours if it’s still crunchy rather than chewy then simmer for about half an hour.(If you manage to find the whole grains it’s the same process, just longer soaking and much longer cooking). Once they’ve softened, drain them really well in a sieve and allow them to cool. Then they can be added to pretty much any bread dough.
    This is one website that has mostly good bread recipes and it’s an easy method when using either kibbled rye or rolled rye as you don’t have to stress about draining the water from the grains.
    https://www.breadexperience.com/pain-bouillie-porridge-bread/
    I have made a version of this, but as I said I never follow recipes exactly. I’ve been making bread for over 30 years and for me it’s an organic process where I rely on the look and feel of the dough and I always add extra that I’m in the mood for. The recipe uses either rolled rye or spelt but I have used some pre-soaked kibbled rye in the porridge along with rolled grains (I think I used a combination of rolled barley and spelt last time in addition to the kibbled rye).
    I quite like the “porridge” method as you always end up with a very moist loaf and it’s an easy method, especially if you have a mixer with a dough hook – I never knead by hand these days.
    This method makes a wetter dough so it requires a longer baking time for the loaf to be cooked properly. If the loaf starts to get too brown you can cover with foil and reduce the temperature by 10-20 degrees (ie reduce the heat not the cooking time).

Penguin, just saw your post. Sorry to hear about the fate of the little hedgehogs. It’s easy to get attached to the creatures that keep us company while gardening.

thanks LJoyce, much appreciated. I know exactly what you mean about not following recipes, I do the same when cooking.

Food shopping this afternoon. Browsing through the cookery mags in the supermarket I saw a headline which read something like this “The new killer food risk you didn’t know about – pulses “, accompanied by a photograph of a selection of dried beans etc. Apparently they have discovered “the new gluten”. The depressing thing was that this is the magazine I sometimes read (admittedly in my dentists waiting room, so only twice a year) because it gives sensible recipes for things I might want to eat and doesn’t usually hype the new super food.

Hi Penguin:

Sounds like you ran into Dr. Gundry’s diet. I wouldn’t worry about it (not that I think you do).

Gundry is just another diet book writer that is exploiting some people’s sensitivity to FODMAPs and trying to make it into a general thing everyone should worry about (so he can sell more books and the pills he sells to counteract the effects of these terrible foods).

The fact is pulses are high in FODMAPs and there are people that react negatively to them. But hardly everyone. Not that you are interested, but FODMAP stands for “Fermentable Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides And Polyols” and you can read all about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

One of the first FODMAP based diets was the gluten free diet. The FODMAPs in wheat cause many people to experience digestive tract upset and eliminating wheat from the diet takes care of the problem. Unfortunately, a researcher wrote a paper blaming gluten for the problem, and before he retracted his research and placed the blame on FODMAPs the gluten ‘sensitivity’ and gluten free craze had started and still hasn’t stopped. Lactose intolerance is another FODMAP caused condition, among others.

It is now understood that people that suffer from IBS and similar maladies are very FODMAP sensitive and their condition can be radically improved by going on a low FODMAP diet. I believe Monash University was one of the leaders in researching FODMAPs, but the research has gone worldwide.

Its just another example of a diet doctor taking a bit of information and trying to make a living by exploiting people’s fear or interest in good health to get them to buy what he has to sell, in my opinion, anyway.

Take care.

Sim, There are thousands, possibly millions of people in the UK who claim to be gluten or lactose intolerant and buy the appropriately labeled food. The actual number who are clinically diagnosed as suffering from either problem is very small. Half the population believes that blueberries are a superfood. In my childhood I was told that carrots were good for eyesight – actually a myth invented by the RAF during the second war to hide the fact that night fighter aircraft were being equipped with radar. Whilst shopping this afternoon I noticed that breakfast cereals that have been on the market for years have suddenly become a source of protein. I wait to see what new problem or miracle cure next month will bring.

Penguin:

Amen.

LJ, congratulations on all of the buyer’s paperwork finally being approved! Woo Hoo!! 🍾🥂 Now you can start packing and be all ready to go at the end of the month! This is the exciting part, now with all the inspections and buyers financing out of the way. I’m so glad you found out before the weekend – or maybe it was the start of the weekend there.

Penguin, I’m sorry to hear about your hedgehog. Hopefully there are others to take care of the snails and slugs. We have problems with those here too. (At least you know it wasn’t escargot that killed him.)

I can’t even imagine what the news media must be like there with the wedding tomorrow. I will try to get some sleep earlier tonight so I can watch it live tomorrow morning. I’m really excited to see it after watching her on “Suits” for so many years. Anyone else joining me?

LJ and Sybs, I don’t follow recipes very closely either and regard them mainly as suggestions. I do look at recipes for the ingredients though. I realized that it’s been years since I’ve made minestrone soup, but after hearing you all talking about it here, maybe I’ll make some this weekend. It’s something I eat at Italian restaurants but just don’t think about making at home.

Cinque, I love chicken soup and always add lots of dill because my grandmother always made it with dill, parsley and celery. I also slice carrots and onions and a little garlic. I usually add either egg noodles or rice as well.

Good morning SHs, and good afternoon to our NH members who’ve been busy chatting while the rest of us slept. And yes I did sleep, over 8 hours of unbroken sleep.
    Packing day – can’t believe I’m excited about that.

Penguin, what seems to have gotten lost in the FODMAP hype is that it’s not a long term diet it’s a temporary “rehab” diet where those with IBS (which is something I used to suffer from) remove foods that upset their bowel and allow the digestive system a time to recover – usually 8 weeks is recommended. Then foods are gradually added back – sometimes there’ll be one or two foods that there is so much sensitivity to that they need to stay out of the diet long term, but most foods can be reintroduced. FODMAP foods are all good for gut bugs so it’s really unhealthy to keep them out of the diet long term. It’s a process that’s meant to be managed by a dietitian, but I suspect most people self diagnose and then turn to google (or magazines) for advice.
    I do find it alarming that people would cut pulses out of their diet permanently, they are such a healthy food. My IBS is managed really well if I have very high fibre levels (over 40grams a day). Pulses are one of very few protein sources that also give me fibre and help me get to that required amount fibre. It’s also one of the reasons I hunt out all the less common high fibre grains.
    If I’m ill and use a lot of antibiotics I sometimes need to repeat the elimination and reintroduction of certain foods. Those I have the most continued sensitivity to are brassicas (cauli, cabbage etc).
    Penguin I hope the sourdough baking goes well.

Cali, I will be joining you watching the wedding. There won’t be many other choices here as all 5 of our tv networks has sent a film crew to Windsor. I suspect there’s lots of hype in the US too given that the bride is American.
    A bit over a decade ago an Australian (Mary Donaldson from Tasmania) married the crown prince of Denmark and there was quite a lot of fuss about that here. It was actually one of the sweetest royal weddings I’ve seen. Prince Frederick cried when Mary started walking down the isle toward him. Being part of the Commonwealth we are used to the British royal family who would never cry in public for any reason, so witnessing that much emotion was a pleasant surprise. Most of Australia (the women anyway) developed a bit of a soft spot for Fred after that. (Yes we are irreverent enough to call him Fred).

Well I think my pot of tea had brewed. Time to drink it while I watch the morning news.

LJ, glad to hear you’ll be joining me in watching the wedding. It probably would have been all over our newscasts and internet sites today, but another school shooting, this time in the state of Texas killed 9 students and 1 teacher, and injured at least a dozen others. Of course all the politicians offer their thoughts and prayers but nothing changes. This has sadly become a way too common occurrence in the US.

My weight was 59.5 this morning, still doing controlled eating due to lack of appetite. One of my meds was discontinued by my doctor yesterday and I’m feeling better without it already. I never thought I’d be wishing to be hungry, but I just want things back to normal. My doctor thought it was funny that I refer to my weight in kg rather than pounds.

Penguin, we have a lot of people over here that think they are gluten intolerant and purchase only gluten free foods. And then they drink wheat and barley based beers and think that’s not a problem. Go figure.

I just noticed that Amazon Prime has a playlist called, “Love Across the Pond” in honor of the wedding. I’m listening to it now. 😍

Although I was introduced to Prince Philip way back in 1972 during the Munich Olympics, I won’t be watching the wedding. However, I’ll watch the FA Cup final between Man U and Chelsea – I guess I enjoy football more than a Royal show :-)) Friends of mine will be watching the wedding on the big screen in a cinema, cheap at AU$10 per person, which of course includes a glass of bubbly! Whatever you get up to this weekend, enjoy it!

Hi fellow S.H.’s 🙂

I started the 5:2 3 weeks ago and so far have lost 1kg (a bit disappointing), but a whole 8cms off my waist!! I really couldn’t believe it this morning when I measured, and was after a stodgy breaky of 2 small homemade bacon, cheese and spinach muffins!

My goal is to get to 60kgs. Currently 76kgs. I want to be a size 10 again. Had 3rd baby just over 2 years ago so it’s been heavy hard to shift the weight this time round…

Good morning,
    I heard some dietitians interviewed a while ago and they were bemoaning the indication that ‘anti legumes’ looked like it was shaping up to be the next fad, so I have been bracing for it. It is a clever money maker, some people do need to avoid them, lots of people are afraid of them and most people fart and bloat when they aren’t used to them. Excellent fodder for a fad.

Hopefully it will be a short one.

I’m still coldy but my brain is working a bit better.
    Your chicken soup sounds wonderful Cali. Mine is an Asian style, and I might even nick up to the shop and get the ingredients for it.

So glad your meds are being adjusted Cali.

Awful school shooting news. Again 🙁 . They were saying on the news that more US school students have been killed this year than US soldiers in war zones.

Penguin, so sorry to hear about your hedgehog. I do wish cats could be more discerning about what they kill. I’ve realised that I am not really a pet person (she says with the cat on her knee, demanding a head rub) I’d rather be enjoying the wild life and especially getting to know the wildlife that live around me. Or would, if it wasn’t for the cats.

I hope you get to make your rye bread Sybs. Yum.
    And I bet you’ve made (or are making?) a wonderful sourdough loaf Penguin.
    I must put up some bread today. I have been missing it.

Day before fast day for me. Best wishes all.

Edit: 2 posts sneaked in while I was writing. Hi Sybs.
    Welcome Rarabel. Congratulations on a great 5:2 start! Tape measures are much more reliable than scales 😉 You’ll get to your goal! Easy peasy. Slow and steady.

Hi Rarabel – I second cinque’s statement about tape measurements vs scales. I am pretty new to 5:2 as well, and noticed exactly the same, first shorts, pants and blouses were getting longer, and after a while I lost some weight as well. Apart from the above, I also came off blood pressure medication and markedly reduced my cholesterol values, to the point that I expect to come off this medication as well after my next check up. But I think one important factor is to also incorporate some exercise, which I guess is going to be tricky for you, having 3 children. Anyway, just stick with it, you’ll get to enjoy 5:2 as it’s such a healthy way of eating.

Fast day for me, I’m possibly the only Saturday faster? Tomorrow, we’re having a picnic at the river with our neighbours; still enjoying temps in the mid to high twenties.

I read the posts but was too busy to respond so this will be from memory. Sad news for the hedgehog. Great news for LJ.

Lindsay, I’m sure the standard of journalism was much higher in your day. From a news report, I just want the who, what, when, where, how and why. Hold the adjectives, I’m not interested in the journalist’s or network’s personal opinion on anything so don’t tell me it was a ‘cowardly attack’ or an ‘irrational tweet’, I’ll be the judge of that, thank you. Years ago we watched a report on a highly respected current affairs programme on a national broadcaster on a subject about which we had intimate knowledge of the details. The highly respected journalist/presenter were literally ‘making up’ the aspects they didn’t know. This completely distorted the truth and we found it very unprofessional. That programme is still highly revered by much of the nation; I consider it infotainment and don’t watch it or the news that precedes it.

Being a news sceptic, I’ve managed to avoid most of the pre-wedding hype. CalifD, I won’t be joining you in watching it unfold but I’m smiling that you will get so much pleasure from it – have you decorated your home for the occasion? I did read that the cake likely cost £50,000 and that a member of the groom’s family would give the bride away which struck me as incongruous. As for their personal lives, who cares? Merry, I hope you’ve staked out a good ‘possy’ near the portaloos. I don’t mind a bit of pomp but the highlights will be ample for me.

Pulses are fabulous.

Well done to the 4:3 fasters. Two days are enough for me.

CalifD, that’s great about the meds being decreased and things getting back to normal. My weight is up a bit today and I know why. Alcohol and sushi at the jazz night this week. Not worth the pain.

Talk of crumpets and a bit of crumpet reminded me of Les Misérables:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k6uqhKEAOM

Sybs, I was also apparently in very close proximity to Prince Philip as a 3 year old. My family told the story of me repeatedly saying, “I touched the Duke” for some some afterwards. I’m not a royalist but I take some weird comfort in the Queen having been the only ‘constant’ throughout my entire life.

Cinque, you might like to consider encouraging your grandchildren to own herpetofauna. It’s a controversial initiative to increase awareness in, and a love of, our own wildlife instead of keeping more traditional pets that like to kill our wildlife. A license is required and reptiles cannot be taken from the wild, only bred in captivity. It’s a different way of thinking. Are you feeling well today?

Off to enjoy the sunshine.

Welcome Rarabel, I started 5:2 above the weight you are now (83kg at my worst) and I now weigh just under 60kgs, size 10 which I have maintained for 33 months. Completely feasible if you simply adhere to the two fast days. Ask us anything.

*sorry, not enough time to edit that lot. s/b ‘some time afterwards’. I was the 3 y/o, not the Duke.

Thin, I saw ‘herpetofauna’ and thought you had found a way to stop my grandkids giving their bugs to me. Yes, my cold is still awful, but not quite as awful as it has been.
    The littlest granddaughter’s first word was ‘duck’ and loves the ducks around docklands where they live.
    At their daycare they are currently doing native animals and Josie got ‘native dolphin’ so I told them about the ones you watch in the river. The very next day there was news of one that had come up the Yarra. (Poor thing. It quickly swam out again. Pollution.)
    They do love my cat, but she runs away as soon as they arrive. 😀 😀

Currently cooking pulses (lentils and lime dal). That will teach them!

Rarabel welcome. I took am more likely to kick the scales than agree with them. I get along much better with the tap measure. I think 8cms is amazing in 3 weeks.

Cinque, I think cats have great self preservation instincts! To a cat, I imagine a toddler looks like a clumsy giant that might either fall on me or pull my tail – or both. Lentil and lime dahl sounds lovely.

Thin, enjoy the sunshine. I think fasting today so you can enjoy a picnic tomorrow is well worth it. The sun has just peeked out from behind the clouds, but I expect it to get stage fright any minute and disappear again.

After our earlier discussion of Friday night fish and chips I’m a day late. I am making fish and chips tonight. I have some frozen battered fish fillets in the freezer that need to be used. They’ll go into the airfryer with a potato, carrot and parsnip that I’ll cut into large wedges. Hopefully after an afternoon of packing I’ll have earned those calories.

Hi LJoyce, Thin, Cinque, CalifD, Penguin, LindsayL, Joffy, Sybs, Rarabel, simcoeluv, and any others I may have missed.

It’s been a while since my last post though I have been reading, in the background. Been too busy with sick family members, and everyday life, to make myself sit down and reply to each post – sorry about that! Sometimes life gets hectic and we just have to soldier on, when all we might like to do is find a sunny spot, where it’s all cosy and warm, and just relax and do nothing!

So happy for you LJoyce with your sale finally being able to go through – an anxious time hopefully now resolved – enjoy your packing and sleep well. Not long now till moving day!

Penguin – OH, daughter and I were in Gloucester, England, 10 years ago now. We stayed at Tile Farm and OH and daughter went out at night looking for hedgehogs, to no avail! Must have been hibernating! So sad to hear about your hedgehog. Enjoy your sourdough bread!

Rarabel – congrats on the 1 kg and the 8cm – a big achievement in such a short time! Enjoy!

Hope you are feeling much better Cinque, and keeping warm with all this colder weather. Enjoy your Asian style chicken soup.

Sybs – hope you found your rye for bread, and enjoy same!

Enjoy your FD today, Thin, and the picnic tomorrow! High twenties temps sound really good – we’ve had 20’C max for a few days now, and getting colder at night. Trying to imagine myself being under 60kg – must feel so good! Good on you for your maintenance skills – a wonderful achievement.

I hope you are all enjoying the weekend. Keep happy, safe and well!

Bye for now!

I’ve had a very productive afternoon. I’ve packed all towels, bedding, quilts, linens, table linens, pillows and cushions except for one set of each to use now. I’ve also had a big clear out of magazines and display boxes that I used for staging and I’ve packed up all the remaining magazines and books in the study. There wasn’t much in the spare bedroom but anything that isn’t furniture I’ve also packed.
    I’m starting to realise just how much stuff I did put into storage as I’ve ended up with just 5 tea chest sized boxes and that’s 2 1/2 rooms of stuff, plus the linen closet.

I’m feeling quite pleased with myself. Just making a pot of french earl grey and taking a break.

Welcome to the 5:2 forums, Rarabel. You’re doing great with the 1 kg loss as well as the 8 cm. Weight loss from this way of eating can be a little slow sometimes, but it’s also pretty easy to do once you get into it. I went from 70.7 to 59 over about 8 months and use the 5:2 to maintain. That’s the nices thing about it, it’s sustainable.

Thin, no house decorating for the Royal wedding, but watching it will be fun if my sis and I can stay awake for the whole thing. OH went to bed hours ago. The coverage is starting already.looks like a beautiful sunny day. Lots of people out there already. And lots of fancy hats! I do love hats but as things get more and more casual there isn’t much opportunity to wear them.

LJoyce, you’ve made a lot of progress on packing already. And I think you said that quite a few kitchen things are already packed in the pod.

Thin, sushi doesn’t count much for weight gain because most of it turns out to be water weight because of the soy sauce.

Cinque, our cats run for cover whenever any littles enter our home. Cats have a lot less patience than dogs when it comes to small children.

The sourdough worked well. It rose faster and better than when I used to make it but for some reason doesn’t seem to have the distinctive taste. I don’t normally do breakfast, but I toasted some. Whilst eating it I switched on the TV for the news. There is a wedding today and later, and less important to the news channels, there is a football match. No other news at all, even though last night I heard something about another school shooting in Texas. The TV journalists are exulting in the fact that the nation will joyously come together to celebrate. Interesting how the press have changed their view. A few years ago he was a a horrible profligate crypto fascist, now he is a hero – pretty much what they did to his mother. The weather is fine, so I’ll be in the garden during both events. I have nothing against the prince or ceremony. I have put on my best uniform and stamped around a time or two myself and I usually manage to watch the Queen”s Birthday Parade/Trooping of the Colour (although a good fly-past is better). It is the over-the-top fawning commentary that gets me. As for the football, the ball is the wrong shape.

LJ. Tea chests brings back memories. Earl Grey I am familiar with, but French Earl Grey?

Arel. I googled Tile Farm and got about 500 farms, none of them with a Tile!

After posting that piece about dangerous pulses I read that meat consumption in UK is down 20% and people are eating more pulses – quinoa and the like becoming very trendy.

It is possible to miss things on this site. Do I gather that Lindsay was a journalist?

I guess “bread and circuses” still applies in 2018

Cali – for once something happening overseas happens to coincide with evening viewing time here, although I will only watch the ceremony. I’d lose interest if I had to put up wit the several hours of preamble that will undoubtedly preceed the actual wedding. I’ve found a channel showing David Attenborough until then.

Penguin, well done on the sourdough. I think the sour taste develops more when the starter is more mature. Probably a bit like a cheese – it gets riper with age.
    French earl grey is English earl grey + flower petals (I kid you not).

We’re watching Meghan’s car getting close.

Well after all I said, I wound up watching the actual wedding. It coincided with lunch. It doesn’t matter how old and cynical I get, a young man in uniform and a pretty girl looks right. The Song of Solomon is always a good read and a motet by Thomas Tallis can’t be wrong. I have a CD of Tallis in the car – it is my chill out in a traffic jam music. “Stand by me” was different, but actually worked very well. The style of the address was also different, fine but a little long. The Bride’s Mum looked, as required by tradition, about to burst into tears. A Welsh rugby crowd will sing “Bread of Heaven” better, but there would be more of them. The young string player has a great future.

Sybscairns -” bread and circuses” yes, but a really well run circus and I ate some of my sourdough whilst watching it.

Penguin, If you are still in a baking mood, BBC food have just published a simplified version of the wedding cake.
    https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/lemon_and_elderflower_15737 Given that I like just about anything that’s lemon flavoured I though it sounded rather nice.

Just popped in for a cup of tea. My neighbour brought her dogs round – there is a new rescue mutt who is scared of men and needs socialising.

I’ll have a look at that cake recipe. My grandmother, who had been widowed twice, earned her living in a variety of ways – school cleaner, potato peeler in the fish and chip shop and anything else. The most lucrative, but unfortunately least frequent, was icing wedding cakes. Before she was fired for getting married she was in service as a cook so she was good at it. Not the best preparation for a military career, but from the age of about six I have been able to do a very traditional cake, making all of the fancy decorations from scratch.

Update. I have had a look at that recipe. It looks like a good summer cake and not difficult. There are two problems with cakes, and quite a lot of the other things I like to make : finding an excuse for fitting them into 5:2 and the fact that there is so much of them and they have to be eaten before they go stale (or frozen, which feels wrong). School holidays coming up and the grandchildren will eat cake. They have hollow legs, are never full and don’t get fat.

I’m losing it. I have just been out watering the plants, thinking to myself “Why are the Church Bells ringing?”

Good morning fasters,
    I am up early having had my fruit and pills.
    Fd last Thursday I felt a bit rough late arvo, might have been not enough fluids or tired, just not right. I started nodding off before having dinner around 8pm after getting home from the kids dancing lessons and as I had a very early start on Friday I had dinner and went to sleep.
    LJoyce good news about the buyers finance you hear of it all the time from people, I reckon it’s like a drama series on TV where there is always a little twist that could upset everything but it works out in the end.
    Rarabel stick with it. Get the FD’s right and consistent and clothes sizes just change, weight falls in stages with plateau’s in between but patience is needed.
    Meals for the last FD:
    3 x white coffee 450kj, 160g plums 260kj, 150g mandarins 267kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj Total 2177kj or 520cals

Penguin, I agree about the one wedding sermon being awfully long (although a good one) but after 4:00 am in the morning here, it had been a long day/night. The whole thing was beautiful and unique, probably like no other marriage for Royals the Queen or anyone had seen before. I managed to stay awake until they were headed off on their carriage ride. Having the 10 little children as bridesmaids and Pages was so charming. I am amazed that it all came off perfectly with each one performing their part as planned. (I wonder if bribes were used? 😆)
    Penguin, learning how to decorate cakes is something I’ve always admired. What a wonderful talent to have! Are you always recruited for family birthday parties and such? I’ve been tempted a few times to take classes, but you’re right about the dilemma of who will eat the finished cakes. Maybe using artificial cake forms of some sort would be a solution.

Joffy, it sounds like you’ve had a busy day even though you weren’t feeling great all day. Drinking too little water (or too much in some cases too much) can often have an effect on the way you feel. I hope you got caught up on your sleep.

Morning all, up early to get everything ready for our neighbourhood gathering at the river. It seems our sunny wx is coming to an end later this week with rain forecast – but still a warm 28C. It does seem strange to be drinking frothy coffee on a Sunday morning; it’s like being in one of those dreams where you know you’re doing something wrong but thankfully wake up to realise you weren’t.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,951 through 16,000 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.