Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,910 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 30 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,101 through 15,150 (of 28,014 total)

• Hi Thin and LJoyce
    Thank you for your good wishes for my OH – the Cardiologist said it may be 4 more years before the pacemaker is inserted as he is not yet ‘sick enough’ – apparently has to be falling down to the ground lots more and not taking as long to recover!
    So I’ve suggested OH just do what he can on a day to day basis. Just as well he enjoys reading
    good books.

Thin: so glad your weekend has been quieter, hope it continues

LJoyce: enjoy getting your pantry all spick and span – the potential new owners will be suitably impressed with all your hard work!

Hope everyone has a successful week either fasting, not fasting or just plodding along – enjoy and bye for now!

Thin – I would think renting out by the week is also a short term holiday rental and would be in the same zoning category as air bnb. I thought it was only long term rental that was allowed in residential zoning.
    I’m not sure prospective buyers will look in the fridge, although some are very nosy. But they definitely look in the built-in cupboards as they are part of the purchase. I have already mentally thought through how to present the contents of the built in wardrobes and the linen closets so that the house appears to have ample storage. I know that when I look at a house if the storage doesn’t feel adequate then it loses points from me. I find it so difficult to keep a house tidy when storage isn’t adequate. This house had hardly any when I bought it and in addition to a much bigger kitchen, I also put 5 other built-in cupboards or robes in various rooms. It makes an enormous difference.

Arel, 4 years sounds like an awfully long wait. I hope your husband is a patient man – otherwise it’s a quality he’s going to have to develop.

My eating has been so bad today that I’m going to do a FD tomorrow, even though it’s not very convenient. Hope those of you fasting had an easy day.

Baby sitting a sick grand daughter and her dog for a couple of days. OH is in serious Grandma mode. As soon as it was suggested that GD was coming, a large chocolate cake went into production. It is pretty good – Grand daughter has been here for one meal at which the cake was served as a desert and half of it has already gone. Sickness clearly does not apply to chocolate cake. In the interests of total honesty and transparency, I will admit that I ate my share. I enjoy having my grandchildren here, but on their departure a serious fast is called for.

Hi everyone

We have been experiencing much needed, consistent rain since yesterday afternoon which is supposed to last all day today. All the dams on farms were extremely low, and we have had water restrictions in place. Currently 18’C – feels good!

The morning news showed the rainstorm damage in Perth WA – so I’m hoping all those SH’s living in the affected areas don’t have much damage, if any, and are safe – thoughts are with you.

I agree with LJoyce, Thin. A weekly rental would likely be the same zoning as an airbnb, and the intended occupants will potentially cause the same havoc for surrounding neighbours – so, as a suggestion, keep the ad, or proof of what you saw, and show it to council. Good luck for a successful outcome!

Penguin: sorry to hear your granddaughter is unwell – chocolate cake might just be the medicine to help all feel better. Enjoy her visit and I hope she bounces back to good health real soon.

Hope all of you are enjoying today and best wishes for a healthy outcome, be you fasting, not fasting, or maintaining.
    Bye for now!

A quick hello as I have a busy day! (Woohoo!)

I had a nice fast yesterday. A big bowl of vegetable soup in the early afternoon was a good help. My evening miso soup had shiitake, yuba, broccoli and a little carrot. It was delicious.

So glad you had a peaceful weekend Thin, and it sounds like the whole street are aware now and make you much stronger. Fingers crossed there is not too much more fighting to go.

LJoyce, I hope you feel wonderful after cleaning out the panty. I just went through my box of things on the bottom pantry shelf to remember what I had in there. I had to put a list up on the door of what bags of things I had. All excess, most of my pantry things are in easy to access jars.
    And yes, if I was looking at a house to buy I would want to check out all the storage places.
    Sorry about the biscuits. I am glad you have today for a reset. It may be a hard one, so sending good wishes.

Arelkade, what a big lifestyle change for Mr Arelkade. I hope he can find plenty of interesting things to do that are easy on his heart. Pottering around sorts of things between the books.

Penguin, I hope the little one recovers quickly. Ooh that chocolate cake! Its feast or fast at your house!

It is a beautiful sunny Melbourne morning. Best wishes to everyone for a good day.

Arelkade. Steroids, antibiotics or chocolate cake – one of them is working, she looks much better already. I would settle for 18 deg C. It is has been a sunny clear day but cold. Forecast to be minus 5 overnight. The weather forecast has just warned us that the weather for the next few days is coming straight out of Siberia.

Cinque. Fast just started. This will take some resolve – there is still half of that cake left. However, I suspect the little one will manage it without my help.

Up early to study my bridge notes so I don’t embarrass myself too badly at class.

Interesting about ferreting about in people’s private spaces. How stressful for preparing for an open house – that’s where I’d have been shovelling all the mess. I’d have considered opening cupboard doors reserved for a second or third visit once almost certain that this is the house I want. Our house had only one skinny cupboard (for linen) when we moved in. OH remarked that they hadn’t needed any closets because they’d have been wearing all their clothes, so cold was the house. We soon added bedroom cupboards and ducted central heating. Before that, we had to go outside to warm up in the sun. When we extended, we made sure there was ample storage at every opportunity.

Arel, LJ, thank you, I shall check the rules for renting a single family dwelling.

Arel, the storm completely missed us and it was a humid day with big thunder clouds developing all around us but no rain at all. The storm damage was in Rockingham about half an hour south. Today is forecast for 24C can you believe? I’ll have to get out my coat. This must be the mildest February on record.

Glad you had a good FD Cinque. Enjoy the grandies & the chocolate cake Penguin – oh no choc cake today I have just read. Must go and work on my bidding knowledge. Have a lovely day all.

Good morning SHs,

Penguin, I’m sure your GD thought chocolate cake made her fell better. Actually I think it’s knowing that someone took the trouble to bake it for you in the hope that it would help you feel better that also has an impact. I think that’s why we bake for people – it’s a way of showing they matter to you.
    I’m assuming this is your normal 3 day fast, not another 5 day effort. You may just need to forget that there is a kitchen in the house and avoid it as I suspect chocolate cake won’t be the only treat made while your GD is there.

Thin, good luck at bridge. I hope you perform creditably.

Cinque, I used to be able to just eat an occasional biscuit, but as I had a period of time where they weren’t in the pantry at all, I seem to have reverted to binge behaviour where they are concerned.

Arel, I think we’ve been sharing your rain. We had far more day of it than forecast, but it’s meant no garden watering which has been a time saver for me.

I have to collect my aunt shortly and take her to do a few errands and then to medical appointments. Once all that’s done we’ll go and visit my uncle. I may get a little bit done on the house later this afternoon – I’d like to get one coat of paint on the front window frames so I can be sure I like the colour.
    Fasting today. I’ve bought mushrooms and zucchini that I will cook later and use as an omelette filling.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning,

Oh my goodness, so many posts!!!!

I have had a busy weekend.

Friday rained early morning, so no walk, but sun came out about an hour later!!
    Saturday was Chinese New Year celebrations. OH Taiko group was to play 3 performances on the day. One at 11.00am, then at 3.00pm in one of the arcades under cover which was good. I was photographer as usual and taking videos on my other cameras. 18YO was also taking photos. I squatted down to try to get a photo at a different angle and hurt myself trying to get up. Dont know what I did but I had such strong pain in my hip. This is the hip that I injured 6 years ago falling off a horse in Finland. Long story but riding in the snow and horse stepped into a ditch that could not be seen, he tried to save himself by swinging around quickly, I got flung off!!
    Sunday, Australia Japan foundation had the free Japanese movies at the cinemas in the city. I had volunteered to help again. Thank goodness I only had to pass out tickets at the door. There are 350 tickets per movie and 3 movies were shown. When we run out of tickets no more can enter. We then get to watch the movies as well. I was there with OH from 9.30am till 3.00pm when the last movie started. We did not stay for the last movie as I had just seen it on a flight 4 weeks ago.

Anyhow as far a food goes for the weekend. Friday night I cooked the braised lamb with Ras el Hanout as I knew the Saturday would be a full day. After I hurt myself I was in such pain I did not want anything to eat so just had water all day. OH heated the lamb dish up that night, and he had his with fried rice that was left over in the fridge. I just had the lamb dish 339 calories. Very tasty.
    Sunday I was able to make a dish out of the 5:2 fasting cookbook, Russian meatballs. Very easy to make and only 154 calories per serve. I served mine with konyaku noodles, 18YO had real spaghetti pasta with hers and OH decided to eat the last of the fried rice as he is not keen on pasta. I would make this again, but the meatballs needed something else added as they were a bit bland.

Weight this morning was 79.1…..a bit more than the 78.1 I had last week, but my scales are now giving me readings all below 80kg rather than the stupid readings that can be 5kg difference in the space of two minutes and slight movements to find a good position.

I think a spring soup is in order for today. I must go buy a leek for it.

loved reading everyone’s posts over the weekend. Chocolate cake sounds yum!!

Julie, I hope you hip is feeling better today. It’s so easy to twist hips and knees when standing up from an ackward position. It’s usually when we’re doing something else. It sounds like you had a busy weekend with the Chinese New Year celebrations.

Thin, it’s good to hear things are still quiet next door. It will be next week before you find out if it’s rented out again? It sounds to me like there isn’t any difference between a weekly rental and the airbnb weekly rental. If one is not permitted, then the other should be a violation too. All of us here will be watching to see what happens.

LJoyce, your tales of pantry cleaning inspired me to do a little much needed sorting and organizing in my own pantry this afternoon. I have a lot of my legumes and different grains in Lock and Lock plastic containers. But sometimes when I get home from the store I end up starting a new one when I already have the same thing in another, on a different shelf or row. Today I went through and consolidated and got it all organized. I also have a back of the pantry door basket organizing shelf thing that has mainly tea and spices in it. I went through and threw out several bottles of spices that dated all the way back to 2007! I also dumped some undated things that I haven’t looked at in years. Now I can actually find things in there. And I think I have enough dry legumes to last the rest of the year. So thank you for the inspiration, LJ! It feels really good to have all that organized.

We watched 2 more episodes of Outlander last night. We only have 4 more episodes of Season 3 left to watch. We’re thoroughly enjoying it and haven’t watched much else on Saturday nights (and sometimes Friday and Sunday nights) since sometime in December I think. I understand there is a Season 4 in the works.

Penguin, I hope you aren’t going to deprive your sick granddaughter of any chocolate cake today. 😁 5 day fasts to a big chocolate cake sounds like feast and famine to me! (Everyone knows that chocolate cake is more effective than antibiotics.)

Joyce – zucchini and mushroom stir fry, often I add some cabbage plus a whisked egg, is my standard breakfast as it appeals to my taste buds – I really have to force myself to change it up. Today is a NFD for me, so I used a little bit of butter as a treat, that’s instead of canola oil, plus I also had a nectarine afterwards.

Julie – Early next week I am off to Bali for 10 days. Cheap airfare, AU$194 return Cairns/Denpasar/Cairns was too good to pass. I’ll get back when you are going to Singapore, which I think I mentioned, is one of the places always I loved to visit when I lived in Indonesia. Hope you are fully mobile again by the time you leave.

Sybs, that’s an amazing airfare to go all the way to Bali and back. It costs me more to fly to Chicago than that and it’s less miles from here!

Cinque, looks like you have some beautiful weather in Melbourne today. We had a high of 12 C and a low of 3 today. We are back to winter again. But it was sunny all day. There hasn’t been much rain this month and they’re talking about a drought again.

I ended up not getting home until nearly 5pm. So a whole day off from reno tasks. I rather enjoyed sitting in the car or in a coffee shop with a pot of tea reading my e-reader while I waited for my aunt between appointments. The weather was mild and pleasant and I even managed to do a couple of walks through the tree covered streets of the eastern suburbs. I was actually a nice day off.

Sybs, that is an amazing airfare. Enjoy your time in Bali.

Cali, I started a freezer clearing craze and now I’ve set off another clearing craze in the pantry. I think it’s just one of those spaces that we use daily and take for granted. We assume that as we are in there everyday we know what’s on the shelves. Like you I sometimes end up with more than one container of something. What has amazed me is just how much more space saving it is to have things in rectangular containers. Most of my pantry containers are decor as they come with little clip-on plastic labels that make it easier to tell the plain flour from the self raising. I also have lock and lock containers but I normally use these in the freezer. My pantry looks a bit unrealistic at the moment. Not only is every thing very clean, it’s all lined up in precise rows – that wouldn’t last long in the real world.

JJulie, I hope you are feeling better and getting excited about your trip.
    I have three additions for meatballs or rissoles to stop them being bland, depending on the flavour direction I’m going I’ll use one of these:
    – very finely grated parmesan (good with beef);
    – middle eastern spice blend with lots of cumin and some cinnamon (good with any meat but especially lamb);
    – stock powder, I use Massel salt reduced chicken stock powder (good in both beef or chicken meatballs)
    – extra garlic and dried herbs can also help but they usually aren’t enough to get a punchy flavour on their own.
    When I make rissoles/meatballs I usually dilute the amount of meat with plenty of grated vegetables. If I add one or more of my flavour enhancers nobody even knows that I’ve done it, as the flavour is still strong.

FD went well. I’ve made and eaten my omelette – very tasty it was too. I also cooked all of the extra mushrooms and zucchini that I bought so that I can use them as a veggie side dish this week.

LJoyce, what a wonderful idea to put the middle eastern spices into the meatballs. I followed the recipe to the “T” but of course some of that spice, that I like, would do wonders to the flavour. I will take this on board next time I make them!!!

Next weekend I will be making Tony Ferguson’s individual meatloaves. I have made this previously and everyone in the house loves them. It is a winner!!

Sybs, I am hoping to be able to walk with you again on Wednesday. Each day seems to get better with mobility so it will be great to catch up with you before you leave for Bali. Thanks for the information about the Wetlands in Singapore, I have researched it and hope that we will get there. I know you said not to go on a weekend but my husband wants to go too and that will mean we have to go on one of the days he returns from Borneo.

CalifD, sorry I pressed to post instead of following on with my message.

Thanks for your encouragement with my hip injury. I now think it was a twinge of the nerves as it is getting so much better each day. I believe by Wednesday I will be back to normal.
    As you probably know from my photos I went to the Chinese new year festivities. I missed the afternoon 3pm performance and also the 5.30 performance (which did not happen in the end due to the torrential rain around that time and the drums can not get wet)
    My photos are on Cairns Taiko facebook page if anyone is interested. Our Sensei has posted only a couple at this time but there should be more to come. Next performance is on 10th March.

Catch up with everyone again soon

Cheers on your fast Penguin. And best wishes to the little one.

Thin, I hope bridge was good. I heard Magda Szubanski talking about bridge on the radio. She was talking to an old lady who played it, and when she showed interest in learning the lady raised her eyebrows and said she had begun when she was 11, implying that Magda didn’t stand a chance. But then they went on to talk about countries where it is taught in school and the benefits it brings. Better late than never, I say!

LJoyce, I have had the same experience you had with biscuits…. with raspberries. Raspberries! I think the bugs in my belly that eat sugar are very strong and good at multiplying. Even though I made the decision to be stricter a couple of weeks ago, I finished the frozen raspberries yesterday and remade the decision more powerfully.
    I’m glad you enjoyed your day with your Aunt yesterday, about time for a resting reading day. But good luck getting back into the swing now.

JJulie, so sorry to hear you have been in such terrible pain. I hope you can avoid doing that move again. Whatever it was. (And what an impressive way to have got the original injury!)
    So glad you are nicely settled below 80kg, may you never go above it again! Have fun spicing up your meatballs. It is wonderful all the things that can be added to them.

Sybs, what a fab trip ahead. Does it feel like going home to be back in Indonesia? My sister visits Indonesia a lot, she learnt the language and then taught it in Primary Schools for a decade or so. I love hearing her stories.

Yesterday was beautiful, and not as busy as I thought: a meeting cancelled. It didn’t feel very productive. Mainly because I tried a version of Woolton Pie (in my series of experimenting with potato pastry). I was too tired so didn’t season it perfectly and the new potato pastry recipe I tried turned out as a kind of potato dumpling on top of the pies (I made individual ones because the pastry was too soft to handle easily). They are okay, and will make good all in one meals, but I manged to get every kitchen surface covered with dirty dishes and then was too exhausted to tidy up. Not sure if I will try them again. (They did use vegemite as flavouring!)
    Going to bed in a messier house than I woke up in, is my number one indicator of a bad day. I am getting it sorted now. Hooray that I can.

Today will be hot and windy I think so I had better protect those lettuces.
    It is lull day for me. (Not fast day, or day before, or day after, a fast day).
    And I will get my new glasses!

Hope your day is a good one.
    Best wishes.

Good morning. I’ve broken my fast with a pot of tea and a banana.
    I’m expecting the electricians back some time today to finish a few things – not sure what time so I was up early just in case. I’ve now moved everything out of the road in the rooms they need to work in.
    Today I’m planning to finish moving everything out of kitchen cupboards and off benches that might interfere with the cabinetmakers. I also need to run the dishwasher tonight – my last chance until next week. I’ll be minimising the cooking over the next few days if I have to wash my own dishes!

Cinque, I perfectly understand not having the energy to clean up after a big cooking effort. It’s one of the reasons I don’t do it often. I also think that pastry always multiplies the mess as I seem incapable of not getting flour everywhere – including on me! I also adore raspberries but luckily the sugar in them doesn’t cause me issues.

JJulie, hope your hip has recovered enough to walk on Wednesday.
    If the recovery is slow it might be worth considering a physio treatment. I put up with hip pain for months because I was scared that I needed a hip replacement and wasn’t ready to hear that. When I finally asked the physio about it he diagnosed a pinched tendon that was easily fixed.

Not looking forward to today’s weather – very hot and windy. Still, it’s probably better than the weather penguin in facing. I’m watching the BBC news at the moment – they said that some parts of Britain will be colder than the arctic. I hope your power supply survives this Penguin.

Penguin Although I love living in the tropics (I have not owned anything with long sleeves, nor long pants, in years), sometimes I miss living in the NH being able to enjoy nature as the seasons change. So a little bit of snow would do me just fine.

Since I started this 5:2 (with extended fasting) I eat less and less and my fridge looks almost empty, but there is (and always has been) plenty of fruit and vegies. The one food item which I really miss since coming back from Indonesia is Indonesian style tempeh (wrapped in banana leaf). The kind I can buy here at Asian grocery stores is packed in plastic bags and kept in freezers. This seems to change the texture, and it appears to have some flavours added – absolutely ghastly. Anyone in the SH community making their own tempeh?

I ordered a couple of fermentation lids on gumtree which arrived today. So I’ll have a go at making kimchi and sauerkraut. My only concern is the high salt content in fermented and pickled vegies.

Sybs, I’ve fermented my own sauerkraut and love doing that but haven’t tried tempeh. The sauerkraut can be a bit salty, but I like the saltiness. The only tempeh I’ve eaten came from natural grocery stores. It always sounded a bit tricky to make and beans smell so strong if they go bad! I think that kept me from trying. If you do try, with success, let us know how you did it. It is a useful meat substitute. And fermented foods are always good for the gut.

It’s cold here still, down near freezing at night. With the rain and damp air today I’ve felt chilled all day, even with layers of fleece. Even with Cuddl Duds. A tropical climate sounds very good to me today!

Calif – I just downloaded a kindle ebook about fermenting. The book also has a tempeh recipe, so once I have tried it, I’ll post the result. When I lived in Indonesia I would have tempeh 3 or 4 times a week, either for breakfast, lunch or dinner (and I’m not vegetarian). There are so many ways of preparing it, yes, definitely miss tempeh :-)) shallow fried with pickled vegies as a side, yummy!

Cinque, I love raspberries, especially if they are fresh with nothing on them. I love the tart taste. My Mother in law used to grow them in Tassie and would try to give them to me with icing sugar and cream. I would prefer them natural!!

Sybs, Coles sells Tempeh so I gather Woolworths does too. I dont think it is the same as you are talking about as it is not in banana leaves. I had a lovely dish in Miri and then again in Singapore which was chicken cooked in pampas leaves and then grilled. I had it once in Miri and it was quite spicy, but still delicious. Then also at our hotel in Singapore with the happy hour nibbles which was a slightly different flavour.
    I love tofu so I think I would also like tempeh, especially cooked the way you describe.

I am aiming for tomorrow’s walk so here is hoping that I wake up with a pain free hip.

Julie – looking forward to seeing you at 7am!
    unfortunately the stuff they sell at woolies and coles is horrible. But I’ll get my own started tomorrow, just hope it turns out ok.

Sybs, I will put the alarm on!!

Sybs. Our local vet, an older well respected guy, was invited to a dinner as the guest and turned it down because he doesn’t own any long pants.

LJoyce. So far the worst of the weather is in the east. We have a very small amount of light snow and the temperature has only been down to minus 5 C (although the wind chill makes it feel like minus 10). We have been warned that ours will get worse. We have a wood fire, battery lanterns and camping gas stoves, so with a few extra layers of clothing we will be fine when the power goes out again.

As ever, after reading the posts I will be going to Google. This time it is Tempeh i’ll be looking up. Sounds as though it might be something fermented.

Well JJulie, rubbing it in! :O
    But I too can remember how lovely raspberries are, and that is something. And maybe if I am strict all year I can try them again next summer.

Sybs, good luck with the tempeh! I’ve eaten the supermarket version, and only really like it cut thin and fried so it is savoury and crispy. Nice to think the real deal is a lot better. I have recipes with it steamed and never could come at trying that. I wonder if I can get fresh made in Melbourne. (Google thinks maybe at Coburg Farmers Market).

Have a hot cuppa on me Cali! Hope it warms up soon.
    And for you Penguin!

You do understand LJoyce. I made the mess worse by getting by method mixed up so used an extra saucepan, and then started making a big pie, and changed to making four little ones, and the potato pastry meant drying potato on the bench as well as flour everywhere. However, I think if I practiced it would be a one bowl dish, I’d manage the pastry/potato dumpling better and they would be really tasty and warm up excellently in the microwave (unlike normal pies) and be a complete meal on their own. (I’m adding lentils and more greens). Need to check if they freeze well. There are two in the freezer to test next week.
    Kitchen has survived!

Good evening everyone!

Posts crossed. Hi Penguin!
    Enjoy your walk in the morning JJulie and Sybs!

Hi Cinque – I have just been reading the wonderful recipes posted in the legumes & beans thread. I’ll need to save quite a few of them. What a great idea of yours to start it.

Good Morning everyone 🙂

It’s FD for me today. I am feeling very positive about it actually. I have been very unmotivated regarding exercise recently but today I got out of bed and did some HIIT. Only 15 minutes but it definitely got the heart racing.

I love reading your posts and always seem to find something new to google. I’m off to check out what Yuba is and also to see if Tempeh is similar to tofu.

Hope you all have a lovely day

Hi Quacka, good to see you again! I like tofu a lot but tempeh is just ok. After reading Sybs’ posts it’s probably because the only kind I’ve found around here is the local grocery store version. I’ll have to try one of the Asian markets.

Penguin, we’ve had cold weather here too. It was a little below 0 C here this morning. We had a morning last week that was -4 C. My sister has to scrape ice off of her windshield. It gets warmer as the day goes on but today’s high is only about 14 C. Cinque, it looks like we can expect these kinds of temperatures through Saturday. So I will have that cups on you! So much for balmy California breezes!

Yesterday’s FD went pretty well. Back down to 58.7 from the 59’s in the days before. I need to do better on NFDs. I’m also going to try and get more legumes into my diet. They help so much with fullness and keep things moving.

Good morning from another mild summer day in Perth; I was chatting to my brother in southern UK last night and enchanted to watch the snow falling through his window behind him. There was snow on the ground, roof tops and on cars which is unusual in that part of the world as it rarely settles. I haven’t seen snow since 2004 in Utah.

Enjoy your walk JJulie & Sybs. Quacka, I enjoy a bit of HIIT as part of my walk.

CalifD, I’m still 59.2kg. I suppose it will take a while to settle into that weight but I’ve been under 60kgs for a few weeks now. I attribute it to eating mostly plants. Last night, I felt sorry for OH and made a chicken stir fry and it did feel a little odd to be eating meat, well poultry. Have just seen your post, well done on the new weight lows. Is that a PB?

My pantry hasn’t been cleaned out since we installed it and I often think I must remove everything and clean the shelving but it never happens. It is, however, very ordered, with all the cans lined up, all the pulses in jars lined up and a few small tubs of flours stacked neatly as I’m not much of a baker. There are pull out wire drawers for ease of access below storing random items that don’t stack such as pickled ginger.

Cinque, it would have been an advantage to learn bridge 40 years ago. Then again, I need a new skill to challenge my brain and this is certainly doing just that. It’s finally coming together but I have had to study my notes quite a bit in between lessons. And it’s fun.

True to form, the goons at the council retracted their cease activity order next door within days of issue and have given them another 15 days effectively sanctioning the latest guests who were coming anyway. We went to the council offices to protest yesterday which achieved nothing. They have no appetite for enforcing their own Planning Codes. They seem hell bent on destroying our little neighbourhood with high density living and tourism. This morning one of the councillors is coming here for a meeting with us.

Fast day for me. Cauliflower soup defrosted, miso soup sans chicken leftovers. Too easy. I will make a creamy pumpkin soup for OH. Have a great day everyone.

good morning

just a quick post about tempeh vs tofuh

tempeh has the whole soybean in the end product and is very firm (there is no give when you press on it), whereas tofuh is smooth, either soft or “firmish”

tempeh is usually fried (either deep or shallow) which makes it nice and crunchy. I never deep fry anything, and when my first batch of home made tempeh is ready, I’ll actually try slicing and baking it, to cut down on oil

tofuh is usually added to soups or stews, whereas tempeh is traditionally served as a side dish. However, I turn it into a main dish and pan fry the sliced tempeh with mushrooms and some greens (plus garlic and chilli, of course), and a tiny drizzle of sweet soya sauce.

Thanks for the info Sybs!
    I am going to try Tempeh next. I also love tofu but I rarely get to eat it as I have a big meat eater as my OH. I did tell him I was going to make a chicken, eggplant and tofu curry that I saw a recipe for. I may be getting somewhere with him as this time he didn’t complain as soon as he heard the word tofu. He just thinks it has no flavour but every time he says that I always tell him that it takes on the flavours of what is cooked with it. Will let you know how my curry goes 🙂

Hi Quacka – just be aware that I have not found any non-flavoured tempeh in Australia. What you get here at supermarkets is brownish in colour (it should be completely white) and I really don’t like the (added) flavour. Also, the texture is affected if it has been frozen, which the Asian grocery stores here in Cairns do. I guess I am picky because I lived in Indonesia for almost 10 yeas, that’s why I have decided to make my own. Just waiting for the starter culture to arrive.

Sybs, that explains why the tempeh I’ve bought always tastes like it’s been marinated in soy. I usually buy tofu so that I’m in control of the flavours I add. The tofu and tempeh here is refrigerated rather than frozen, but I did discover a trick with freezing tofu a few years ago. If you put a block of firm tofu in the freezer, then thaw it, the texture changes to something you can easily crumble – useful if you need a vegetarian alternative to mince for things like bolognese or shepherds pie.

Thin, your council makes me want scream. I suspect you want to throw things as well! I hope your meeting this morning yields something other than empty platitudes.

Good morning/afternoon Quacka, Cinque, Penguin, Cali, JJulie, and anyone else who’s reading rather than posting.

Day off from reno today. Heading off shortly to catch up with my old work team. birthday lunch for me. I might even live dangerously and order fried kway teow noodles. I love them but always avoid them because of the immense calorie count. I’ll fast tomorrow and enjoy my day I think.

Hi Joyce – happy birthday! enjoying your day and thinking about fasting tomorrow sounds like a solid plan :-))

Happy Birthday LJ! You’re catching up with us ….. you youngster, you! Spoil yourself, you deserve it. I’m wondering whether today is actually your birthday or if you’re celebrating today because there is no 29th and you’re actually only 14 and a half.

Hi everyone
    Been a busy week here, still have to catch up with all your posts!
    So, very happy birthday to LJoyce and enjoy lunch with work mates: enjoy the noodles 🎂🎉🎁

Thin, so sorry to hear the latest council debacle! They should put themselves as living in your home, next door to the ruckus, and I bet the zoning would be corrected then! Best wishes for a better outcome after your meeting.

Will try to read other posts later on.

Been to yoga then Garden Club this morning, now off to visit Dad in NH.

To all those reading and not posting – hi! To all those fasting, non fasting or maintaining: enjoy whatever you are doing and bye for now!

Hi all, back from a delicious lunch. I have resisted ordering this noodle dish for 2 years because of the calories, it felt like such a treat to allow myself to have it.

Thankyou everyone for the birthday wishes.
    Yes Thin it is my birthday – my mother would have had to hold on for another 2 years not just one more day to get to 29th Feb.

I have almost finished moving everything out of the kitchen that might get in the road of the plumber or the cabinetmakers. A lot of it can go back in once the new cupboards are installed. At present it is cluttering up my lounge room.

The amount of scrubbing and grime removal feels a bit endless, but I will get to the end of it at some point.

Hope you are all having an excellent day. I feel so full that I’m already looking forward to a FD tomorrow.

Firstly,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY LJoyce. Hope today has be wonderful for you.

Thin, I hope your meeting with the councillor was fruitful.

Cinque, sorry did not mean to rub it in. Just was remembering that wonderful taste. They are so expensive in Cairns. A friend who lives near Melbourne grows them and on just two plants she posted buckets and buckets of this a few weeks ago. I was so wanting to have a bucket of them.

This mornings walk did not happen for me. I had a bad night and did not get much sleep. Hence when the alarm went off for me to get up I was already awake and sleepy.

I have Taiko practice this evening and am thinking not to go, or to go and do the arm movements without the leg movements.

Thunder happening here at the moment. It’s going to be a wild night!!!

I have fasted all day and only had one cup of coffee, not even any soup. I have just not wanted it. OH is away again, so easy not having to cook for anyone.

I have been busy cleaning out the linen press with the help of my daughter. She is doing all the lifting etc and I am doing the sorting. Then we took some old towels to the vet and sheets and dona covers to the Salvos.

catch up again soon

Hello Everyone,

Happy Birthday LJoyce! https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI5ESSYPAdVZl8hahBBNwMPX1lm40lXRLkLCLd8BNQX4dr73vH
    I am so glad you had such a delicious treat for lunch.
    Hope the scrubbing ends soon!

Thanks Sybs, re the legumes thread: it has been lovely to find how many people here enjoy beans and lentils. (No tempeh recipes yet).

JJulie, take it easy with that hip, let it heal completely. I do so hope you get a better sleep tonight.
    Beautiful raspberries ARE something to long for. May you get some sometime soon.
    Nice to get the linen cupboard sorted.

I began the day not feeling the best and then my internet cut out, and when it came back my hard drive gave up, as is its wont on a hot day.
    But then I had the YamDaisy meeting that was postponed on Monday and so that has made me feel optimistic and invigorated.

Plus she (Lynne who is working with me) told me about the Tofu Shop in Bridge Road and their tempeh. And http://www.primasoy.com.au/product

Hi Quakka, good luck with that curry!

Thin, I hope the councillor can be a good advocate at Council.

Arelkade, yoga, garden and visiting your dear dad sounds like a particularly nice day.

Keep warm, Cali and Penguin, as many hot cuppas as you need!

It’s been hot and windy here but a cool change happening now.
    All the best.

LJ, pleased you had an indulgent, guilt-free lunch.

Cinque, glad you had a productive meeting and hope to hear more about Yam Daisy’s revival.

I’ve eaten Tempeh but I believe, as Sybs mentioned, we can only get it flavoured in the main grocery stores, not sure about Asian stores.

Hope your hip mends soon JJulie, sorry I kept forgetting to mention it. I’ve had some cauliflower soup. I’ve been quite hungry today but also quite well distracted. As I have so much tea stored, I decided not to buy any more so I don’t have my special Madame Flavour FD tea treats right now. Moving closer to water fasts – yet I find I am not really all that keen when confronted with the prospect!

JJulie, I bought some kangaroo meat today thinking of you at the time. I hope I don’t stuff it up (tomorrow as today’s a FD).

Arel, what do you do at garden club? I hope you had some quality time with your dad.

Thank you for your well-wishes and to everyone else for your kind comments throughout this ordeal. It is great to feel the support of my wonderful cyber friends. We have received an email from the City advising that the applicants have withdrawn their application. They got away with it all summer. Not quite sure what to make of this but for now we will hope for the best and that a re-application will not be forthcoming in spring! Other neighbours all seem very pleased. Happy dance!

Cinque – thankyou for the birthday card.

JJulie – Oh dear you did have to mention linen closets – I haven’t started on those yet! I’m contemplating the amount of work I have to do. The hallway cupboard is so old I think I’m even going to have to scrub and paint the old shelves to smarten it up. But I’m glad you’ve cleared some clutter from yours, it can give me inspiration when I start on mine.

Thin – Hopefully by removing the application it means they’ll put in a long term tenant. I’m assuming the weekly rental isn’t allowed without a change in zoning.

I’m still looking forward to fasting tomorrow as I feel I’ve had everything that I wanted food wise today, without compromise – which is unusual. If fact I’m about to make up for the lack of cake, by having some of the fruit and walnut sourdough bread that I bought from the Central Market today. A couple of slices toasted with a pot of French Earl Grey will round off the day nicely.

Happy Birthday, LJ! https://flirtyfleurs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/empty-vase.jpg So glad to hear that you indulged a little on your lunch today. That’s what birthdays are for!

Thin, glad to hear that the owners of the house next door have withdrawn their application. Maybe they’ve decided to put the house up for sale. They may have decided that it was more trouble than it was worth, now with the animosity of all the neighbors. One can only hope! That town council is worthless! Too bad we aren’t all nearby to go march in there with you to protest. 😠 The whole thing is so infuriating!

Julie, I hope your hip feels better. Was that what kept you awake, or was it a storm?

Cinque, I hope your internet and HD are sorted out now. Computer problems can ruin your whole day. Cinque and Sybs, I’ve never seen tempeh in the stores here that was as white as the product in those photos. I’ll have to see if I can find something like that here.

Arel, the Garden Club sounds interesting, especially with all the tropical plants that grow in your area. It would be so nice to plant flowers are have them last all year, especially ones like bougainvilleas. We can only grow them as an annual here, but down in Southern California they grow everywhere, given on freeway dividers.

Good morning everyone.
    First day of Autumn and it is cool and it rained overnight. So my garden and my computer are happy, and I am too 🙂

Thin, I’m doing the happy dance with your neighbours. The owners of the house will have done air bnb to make the most money most easily, and I’d be surprised if it is easy for them to apply again. I know you will be vigilant just in case. Hopefully some nice people will move in with a long tenancy lease and you can relax.

LJoyce, Good morning, I hope your lovely day yesterday makes today feel easy and satisfied.

It is fast day for me and I’m feeling ready for it,

Penguin, I hope the Beast from the East hasn’t been too hard on you.
    Cali, you keep warm too!

JJulie, how is that hip this morning? If it hasn’t improved, get to the doctor!

Feeling cool in Melbourne today is 17C, haha. But it is yoyo weather, it will be 30C again in a couple of days, then cool, then 30 again. I won’t complain, it gives me a chance to say farewell to my summer wardrobe for the year, and lets my little basil plants grow some more before I need to harvest them.

Best wishes and all good things.

Good morning SHs,

Cali, thank you for the birthday flowers, such a pretty arrangement.

Cinque, I’m always happy at the start of autumn – it means I have 9 months before I have to deal with another hot summer. In case you weren’t aware I don’t much care for hot weather. The mild weather of autumn and spring are just perfect.

The cabinet makers arrived bright and early and have already removed the section of old kitchen that’s going out. At present the new cabinetry is just being hauled in. It will be nice to have this job done – updating the kitchen was by far the most expensive job I had to do to get the house ready for sale. From now on there shouldn’t be any really expensive jobs.

Morning all from a nice cool Perth (but it’s not over yet, there’s a 35C day forecast next week).

I bet those cabinets look terrific LJ. Cinque, time for some autumn op shopping maybe?

Must go, OH is getting ready for my post FD fry up, so I’ll go for a walk. 59.1kg. Edging down slowly.

Morning all,

Had a good night sleep and was up before the birds this morning.

Then a lovely walk with Sybs. Great talking to her about living and eating in Indonesia. We seem to have a few things in common. Photography is one. Asian food is another. And not to forget our love of travel. We have been to many of the same contries so it was nice to talk about them again. I am going to try to find Tempeh in Singapore. Sybs said to look for an Indonesian food stall in the Hawkers market. Walking again tomorrow I hope. I have to fit it in with OHs work. He rang to say he can not get home from Townsville due to road closures from flooding, but we have a big job on for Friday that can not be delayed. So now he is leaving his car in Townsville airport and catching a plane home. Hopefully the roads will reopen on the weekend and he will have to fly back to pick up the car.

My hip was fine even after last night’s Taiko lesson. I did not have to do too many movements and all went well.

This morning I could feel my clothes were a little looser than before. Isn’t it amazing how things can change just overnight?

I have stopped the 5 day fasting due to wanting a change, so I am now fasting during the day and having a nice calorie counted meal for dinner. I am still only eating about 500 calories or less per day.

Daughter coming over again today for another room clean out.

catch everyone later.

😆 58.8kgs 😆 Take that, InBody scan! My shorts feel like they might fall down today. Cheating the scales by weighing after my HIIT walk. Hurray, I missed the aroma of toast and will now enjoy a light breakfast while OH goes for his aviation stress test.

Hi JJulie, good that you are doing so well with your weight and your hip, enjoying walks with sybs and finding things in common.

All is quiet and peaceful. How about your neighbourhood, Lindsay?

thin – congrats – I can’t even remember the last time I was under 60kg – probably 40 years ago or so. I am actually just aiming to get down to around 65kg, but even that means a huge drop.

walking with Julie is good fun, and time just flies.. I think we’ll need to do longer walks soon, an hour just doesn’t seem to do it :-))

Yesterday I had a kanga burger at lunch time, and within 5 minutes my head just about hit the keyboard, barely managing to stay awake. Maybe some reaction to animal proteins. So I am going to stay away from any kind of meat for a while – looking forward to re-arranging my menus, as I love cooking.

Thin, congrats on being in the 58s. Enjoy your quiet neighborhood, finally.

Sybs, I used to find a big dose of white bread (eg burger bun) or white pasta was deadly at lunch time if I needed to concentrate after lunch. If you had a roll around that kanga burger, it might be the bread that made you so sleepy. I was OK with carbs that took longer to digest (eg sourdough rye).

JJulie, glad to hear that your hip had improved enough for you to walk this morning. I hope that continues.

Kitchen update – the new cabinetry is in and the cabinet makers have now left. I have put the piles of kitchenware that littered my lounge back into the cabinets, I just have one more drawer to do. I’ve just stopped for a pot of tea before I finish that job. I’m amazed at how big the kitchen now looks with a straight bench rather than the L shaped one that was there before and used to divide the room. I think this is a much better layout for selling, as it will clearly accommodate a good sized dining table now without feeling so cramped.

Viewing 50 posts - 15,101 through 15,150 (of 28,014 total)

You must be logged in to reply.