Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,251 through 13,300 (of 28,011 total)

• Good morning Stay, Arelkade, Cinque, Thin, JJ and anyone else who’s reading rather than posting.

I’ve decided to go ahead with a FD. This is my first FD since Monday last week. I need to get back into the 5:2 rhythm.

Cinque – I can see why you need a rest after that morning – I feel tired just reading about it.

JJ – I agree with Thin’s comments on TDEE and NFDs. I also found I had to be particularly careful on NFD to lose weight with 2 FDs. I have a little it more leeway now that I’m trying to keep my weight stable rather than lose weight, but the difference isn’t as big as you’d think. I can basically add one modest higher calorie extra once a week – any more than that and I gain weight even with 2 FDs. I wonder if part of my problem is an unrealistic expectation of what my TDEE should be and what my food intake should look like – I think I’ve always had higher expectations than my reality.

Stay – don’t worry about writing long posts, you aren’t the only one. I tend to get a bit carried away too. Often in the long time it takes to write my essay three more posts have appeared and I have to edit my post to address them!

Thin – good idea about trying to get the signs erected – I suspect most people don’t know that bread causes that many problems for ducks. I found the very specific list of fruit & veg and how to prepare them interesting – it’s an odd group of things.

I’m hoping to get some gardening time in today. Green bins are collected tomorrow, so I might as well make sure it’s full and there’s a rockery garden bed in the front garden that needs weeding.

Have a good day everyone.

Hi everyone
    I was just catching up on all the recent posts and read about a slow cooker pork and pineapple recipe. Im wondering if I have missed the link top the recipe or is there another group where you can post recipes?

Hope everyone is doing well. One thing I have learned is to just forgive yourself when you make a slip up and just look forward. Focus on what you can do in the future and not on what you can’t change about the past. šŸ™‚

Quacka – there is a site where we post recipes: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/page/2/ although I don’t think the pork & pineapple is there.

I’ve had an unusual FD so far. Normally I get to mid-late afternoon on just water & cups of tea, but not today. It wasn’t hunger that got to me – that combination of fluids and stomach acid bought the nausea back. So I’m having to have small snacks so that there is a little solid food in my stomach along with the fluid. I had a banana at 11:30 and at 1:30, a handful of carrot & celery sticks with a heaped dessert spoon of fresh whey ricotta. It’s turning into quite a weird FD, but I really don’t want to abandon it, so I will persevere with my snacking day. I have a bowl of butternut soup for dinner which is quite low cal, so I can probably afford the snacks. But I think that even if I go little over 500 cal it’s preferable to not doing it.

Quacka, hereā€™s the pork and pineapple recipe. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-spicy-pineapple-roast-pork-lemongrass-lime-rice/J37uMZ5v It isnā€™t a FD recipe so I didnā€™t add it to the recipe section. Itā€™s for NFD. Julie found a bunch of recipes when I was looking for something to serve guests that could be mostly made ahead of time. Her list also had some other good ideas that Iā€™m going to try in the future.

Coda, thank you for reminding me to post in the challenge thread. I think I got lost in Oz for the last week.šŸ˜„

Thin and I exchanged pictures and sheā€™s beautiful! Thin, you definitely donā€™t look old! Itā€™s great to be able to picture you now. You, LJoyce, Cinque and Penguin are such an inspiration because youā€™ve all not only lost the weight, but have been able to maintain it. I think thatā€™s the other half of the battle. Most of us here have lost weight and regained it many times in the past. 5:2 seems to be the plan that can keep it off and become a lifetime thing.

I wonder how Penguin is doing with Ophelia. It had a lot more strength left in it than lt looked like like in yesterdayā€™s weather reports. I hope he didnā€™t lose power. Between the hurricanes and wildfires there has certainly been a lot of destruction this year.

Cali – It’s the middle of the night in Britain and I hope Penguin still has power and more importantly, an intact roof. I checked the BBC news website earlier to see how things were going. It looks like Ireland received the worst of the storm, but it also mentions power blackouts in Wales and I remember Penguin saying he’s very close to the Welsh border. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442
    On the bad weather front, it looks like Portugal is also now dealing with out of control wild fires.
    Thanks for thinking of me as an inspiration. I think of myself as a persistent plodder who refuses to give up and let things get completely out of control again. I too have a history of losing and regaining the same weight over and over again. The horror I feel about ever going back to that again helps keep me on the straight and narrow most of the time. Without 5:2 I would probably still be counting calories and weighing myself every day to stop the regain. While there is still a fair bit of control required, this system is less rigid and feels more like a normal lifestyle than the obsessive way I monitored everything before.

Quacka, Julieā€™s list of creative recipes is on page 264, about 4 posts from the bottom. I just did a Google search on the names of a few and came up on the recipes.

While I was looking for her post I found a link in one of Cinqueā€™s posts that I had missed. I read the rest of her post but somehow missed this:

Cali, this is for you: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/12/australian-desert-reaches-peak-budgie-as-thousands-dazzle-wildlife-photographer?CMP=share_btn_tw

Cinque, what an amazing video! Iā€™m surprised that they didnā€™t all crash into each other. Nature is so incredible that they are able to fly in patterns like that. Thank you for posting it. Iā€™m sorry I missed it before.

We used to have budgies when I was a little kid. My dad made them a perch and ladder structure and the 2 of them stayed on it, on a buffet cabinet. They went into their cage at night. I remember one, a green one, got really sick and almost died. When he recovered, his legs were paralyzed. My mother held him and soaked his legs in warm water and hand fed him for days until he could sit up and move around with his legs out in front of him. My dad made some changes to his perches and ladder so he could get around and rest on them. He ended up living for several more years and getting around quite well in spite of his legs. My mom continued soaking his legs in warm water and he seemed content to let her. We learned our love of animals from our parents.

I was just posting the link too but again lost it!!
    CalifD, thanks I see you must have been doing that at the same time as me.

CalifD,
    I love your story about your budgies. My uncle used to breed budgies and my auntie bred canaries. They had so many cages in the back yard and heaps of birds. The doves used to come and pick up the seed that escaped their cages and there were also magpies and rainbow lorikeets. The birds were eventually all sold as my uncle grew older and after my auntie had passed away but every day he would put out special seed for the wild birds. Many of them returned with their offspring as well. It was lovely to watch his routine with the birds and how they interacted with him when I visited Adelaide and stayed at his house.

Thank you so much everyone for your quick response. You really are a lovely bunch of people! Good Luck with the fast day LJoyce, u are doing great. Every fast day is different for me too šŸ™‚

Hi JustJulie,

My experience with dieting has always been that depriving myself of things I enjoy is not sustainable. A way of eating that is built on willpower and deprivation is, for me (and for most people) not sustainable. That is, in my opinion, why most diets fail.

Half a bottle of wine is 300 calories. I really like wine too but I’m not the type to drink alone and my wife normally has a couple of sips before saying “I feel dizzy”. If I did like drinking wine I would find a way to cut those 300 calories somewhere else in my diet on my non-fasting-days. Not by eating less, but by making substitutions.

Ophelia missed us, hitting Ireland and the north west of England. There are three dead and 360,000 properties in Ireland without power. It is now over Scotland. Yesterday was a weird day. Until noon it was as dark as early morning and when you could see the sun through the clouds it was like a tomato. There was no wind, the temperature was nearly 10 C higher than normal and the birds were not flying. The robin that normally sits about 4 feet from me ands sings followed me into the greenhouse and stood by my feet and just looked up at me. The sky was apparently full of African dust and Portuguese smoke. There are currently wild fires in Portugal with about 35 deaths so far. At noon the sky cleared and we had wind, but not strong enough for damage.

CalifD our news suggests that you are getting your fires under control. The resulting damage is going to take a long time to clear. The Spanish and Portuguese fires are like yours – they happen most years because the weather conditions are similar to California but this year is worse than usual. The north Atlantic is getting warmer, our weather is changing and our storms are getting stronger.

Penguin, glad to hear you are OK. I think you can safely say that your little robin trusts you to provide a port in a storm.

Penguin, glad to hear that youā€™re ok. You need to build a hurricane shelter for that robin buddy of yours!

The fires are slowly being brought under control. We could use some rain now…

Hope you are all doing okay with the fires and extreme weather.

If we don’t get some proper rain soon, don’t be surprised to be hearing about a horror bushfire season in South-Eastern Australia.

Hello everyone, what a surprise when chatting with another RN at work today & we discovered we’d both started this WOE very recently – will be able to support each other. I also mentioned this forum – hope that’s ok! Love seeing the recipe suggestions – all sound delicious. Off to yoga tomorrow, FD Thursday.
    Enjoy your evening, or day, depending where you live. It’s 6.40pm here on east coast of Australia. Cheers!

Thanks BigBill and nice to meet you.
    I did not know that there was 600 or so calories in a bottle of wine. I thought it was double that. But dont get me wrong I am not going to go and have more now that I know that.
    Penguin, glad to hear you guys are ok. I was watching the news and all the photos of Ireland and the damage done. We also watched the news about the fires in Portugal and Spain

There is just so much sad news out there at the moment.
    Up our way we had three people die on the weekend in a skydiving accident. There is a lot of tandem skydiving up here as a tourist attraction, but these three people were locals from one town. Two of them were professional divers and the lady that was tandem diving had just celebrated her birthday the the skydiving experience was a gift from her husband and children.
    Next came the story of an elderly woman who had just arrived from down south to go into a nursing home to be closer to family. She went for an afternoon walk and went missing. They found her walking stick and some clothing on the banks of the river. They have now captured a crocodile in the area and confirmed this lady has been taken by it.
    Now we have just had news that one of our survey vessels which is a fishing vessel capsized in rough seas off the coast of Queensland. Six people missing, we have friends onboard and one other friend has his 18 year old son on board. I am just so emotional about this at the moment. OH has been on the phone to the authorities and they have cancelled the search due to bad weather. So many families will be effected by this.

I am sorry but I have to go now.

Hi JustJulie
    Very sad to read what you are going through right now – my thoughts are with you.

Hi everyone
    There is so much sad news in the world atm. JustJulie, so sorry to hear of your friends lost at sea. Thinking and praying for you all at this difficult time.
    Penguin thanks for dropping in to let us know all is well and Orphelia missed you.
    Cinque- that was an early morning. I had to laugh when you said your granddaughter wasnā€™t picked up by the rubbish truck. šŸ™‚ I had my 2 today and a terrible time with Miss 4 for an hour or so and then she was as good as gold for the rest of the day. Miss 20months is a real sweetie.
    I had a really good FD today. I had 2 coffee with milk and one tiny teddy biscuit- thanks Miss 4 for sharing, and some bolonaise sauce with a couple of penne noodles. Its the 2nd FD in the week I have trouble with. I also did a Pilates class and a walk yesterday.
    I will attempt another FD tomorrow. My daughter is doing one too and we are going shopping together so will keep each other accountable.
    Have a goodnight/day everyone x x

Julie, I am so sorry to hear about your friends who are missing on the fishing vessel. This must be the story: http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-weather-search-for-missing-trawler-after-downpour/news-story/914911582b9dbcbf36f7b0cd80579b8d My thoughts and prayers for everyone involved and for you and your OH because I know you are affected by this. Sometimes it seems like the world is going crazy with all the bad news. There are just so many people in the world today and our communication via the internet and cellphones is almost instantaneous. We are more aware of what is going on around us today than we ever were. Iā€™ll be thinking of you today, Julie, and hoping for a miracle in finding the missing men.

JustJulie, We had the news of the woman/crocodile and the fishing vessel here. You are having a hard time at the moment. Take care of yourself.

Yesterday was a partial fast day. Nothing from Sunday evening until yesterday evening. Having had a hard day outside I permitted myself a very large Laphroig, a bowl of my own pea soup and my own bread roll, followed by stewed apple and kefir. To my surprise I was 2 pounds down this morning. Similar eating pattern today. Pilates this morning, home by 11am then the rest of the day digging my veg patch. At the risk of sounding like Beatrix Potter, I was accompanied throughout the day by the Robin. He is now so tame that he will take from my hand any Robin sized delicacies that I dig up.

Morning all very quick post re the alcohol debate. For me alcohol piles on the weight. I used to drink 2 to 3 glasses of red or white each evening while preparing dinner and it was only when I stopped this i lost weight a lot quicker . If i do on the very odd occasion have a drink it shows on the scales the next day. Plus in general i feel better for giving up. Luckily OH doesn’t drink much, an occasional beer or glass of red and is not fussed if he has none at all which is great because being with others who drink equals temptation. Happy Wednesday everyone.

Hi everyone
    Jumped on the scales – down 900g since last week, feels good. Also feel so much better with healthier eating.
    Off to yoga this morning, then going for a country drive into the Barrington Tops mountains with OH & neighbours. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous up there with alpine forests, waterfalls & native animals – always on a natural high when visiting the area!
    My heart goes out to all those experiencing sad times atm. Thinking of you. Cheers

Good morning,
    Beautiful morning, hot day. Glad for the garden’s sake that rain is forecast tomorrow.

JJulie, I hadn’t quite twigged that all those dreadful accidents were so near to you. Sending good wishes .

Arelkade it would be great fun if your fellow RN popped in to say hello!

Penguin I am glad that you and Robin are doing so well.

Was glad to hear the fires in California were getting a bit more controlled when I saw some new ones have started. And now poor Portugal and Spain . And dreadful floods in Vietnam. Oh dear.

Merry, a shout out to you! Sending good wishes your way too.

Aren’t those grandchildren fun, Stay. But it really did my head in when my daughter and her husband decided to have children straight away (mostly thanks to my clucky daughter) as I didn’t have her til I was 35 and thought I mightn’t be a grandma til in my 70’s, if at all. I really had to adjust to the thought of being a grandma.

Once little Miss 3yo went home I realised I had done that thing of getting just dehydrated enough to confuse my body into thinking it needed food. So I have been concentrating on drinking (water not alcohol) and getting myself out of the munchies. Again.

I watched Catalyst http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/ last night and really liked the show. It wasn’t in that irritating populist style, but still engaging and informative and respectful. They took the time to show all the issues. I learnt more about the different varieties of gut bacteria than I had known before. Next weeks one will be interesting because they are looking at someone who was on the Biggest Loser and who is still struggling with his weight and they are investigating whether his gut biota is part of the issue.

Good luck to everyone fasting today. I’ll fast tomorrow. I am making those mung bean pancakes for breakfast, hope they work!

Good morning,
    The last 2 FDs were successful as far as me keeping under 500 calories. This morning I weighed 79.7 again so happy that I am now under 80 again but really need to get out of this weight zone so I decided to do another FD today and see if that gives me the boost I need.
    OH had a really bad day yesterday being really busy with ships and meetings to straighten things out not to mention the news about the vessel, Dianne. More news has come up in the media overnight, but OH said he will try to find out more from authorities today. The latest news is this http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/national/six-fishermen-feared-dead-off-trawler-screamed-from-inside-boat-as-crewmate-clung-to-hull/news-story/0f325800a515fb1a4ba3866373b0677c

I think that I am really taking this hard as we lost another friend, Martin, last year due to a tragic accident. http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/passionate-fnq-man-had-saltwater-running-through-his-veins/news-story/4e346f857bc24998afd800fe7c597557

Martin and Ben are very similar guys, both were single, in their early 40’s, no children and loved the sea.

Arelkade, congratulations for you big loss. Hope you have a lovely outing today on your country drive. The scenery sounds lovely, I would have to take my camera and get lots of shots.

Alcohol seems to be my biggest problem and I thank everyone for their input on the subject. It seems to be the thing that puts the weight on me so quickly. I had a bottle of chardonay in the fridge that OH drank last night when he came home. I was quite happy not to join him as I was determined to not be tempted. I ended up going to bed and leaving him with it. All is good.

Going for my walk now so will catch up later.

Good Morning everyone šŸ™‚ hope you are all well. Its a FD for me today so I will probably be back at lunchtime to read some more posts. I’m about to start work so I hope you all have a great day

Good morning Arelkade,Stay, Thin, Cinque, JJ, Quacka, Cali, Penguin, GDSA, BBill, and anyone else who’s reading

JJ – really sorry to hear about your friends, I too hope they are found. I just saw the ABC saying that the search vessels are heading out again now to look for them.

Quacka and anyone else fasting – good luck with the FD

I can’t safely drink in conjunction with the treatment drugs for RA. Once I came to terms with that I found it easier to choose water instead. What I missed was the glass of wine with dinner, but it’s been a decade so these days I just have a new normal that doesn’t include alcohol. It does help that I don’t have to watch a partner drinking wine that I can’t have.
    Penguin, I clearly don’t know my whisky – I had to google Laphroig – here was me thinking it might be some delicious Welsh delicacy and I was confronted with page of advertisements for whisky bottles. I suppose it qualifies as a Scottish delicacy.

I got through my FD yesterday but I had to have several small snacks throughout the day to keep the nausea at bay.

I broke my fat by making a small bowl of homemade muesli and kefir and sat down to have a late breakfast and watch the international news broadcasts that I set to record from 5-7am. Only trouble was SBS was showing a soccer match between Liverpool and Maribor at that time instead today. So I had to content myself with just ABC news this morning. I feel deprived when I don’t get my morning dose of world news. I’ll just have to rely on the internet instead to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Cinque – I also liked the Catalyst program last night. I used to suffer from IBS, also with diarrhoea as my main symptom (although my GP said that constipation is the more common symptom for those with IBS). I no longer have this problem but I can’t be sure what fixed it. The symptoms slowly went away over the same 3 year period that I lost weight, retired and changed to a high fibre low sugar/processed food diet. I personally think that it wasn’t one change that made the difference but the combination (lower weight, better diet, less stress). I also think the comment about the need for personalised medicine is very true. Something that is very apparent when I read other people’s stories in this forum is that everyone is different – when it comes to diet, food and digestion “one size fits all” does not apply. I also think quick fixes don’t apply and beneficial changes need to be a long-term ongoing commitment.
    It was good that they looked at what things people can do at home to help their gut flora. I was actually glad that the lady from last night didn’t like that kefir because I could see from the bottle shape that she’d chosen the Babushka brand – that’s the one I don’t trust because it’s made from powdered milk, powdered starter and they add sugar and sweeteners to it. (Unfortunately this is the one most commonly stocked by supermarkets.) I think she’ll be much better off with the home fermented kombucha. I think her comment about consuming live bacteria was telling – the perception that all bacteria are bad is still quite prevalent.

I’m going to the circus tonight with my nephew, his wife and their 2 kids (4 & 5). It’s being held in a hills town near me, so they asked if I’d like to go too. I think it’s been about 45 years since I went to a circus – they came to the Riverland a couple of times when I was growing up there. The program is different to what I remember from childhood – no exotic animals these days, there’s some dogs and horses but it’s more acrobatics now. (I’m not sorry about that change, it’s definitely for the better.)

Have a good day everyone.

Hi all, I fasted on Monday and it was a real challenge given that I was required to do 1 1/2 hours of very physical work. Still, I made it through, even though I was nearly falling asleep during my next appointment!

Anyway, that was now almost two days ago and I’m glad I persevered.

Interesting reading how you got through your recent FD, LJ. Good thinking about the smaller portions along the day, rather than abandoning. I once had to abandon for similar reasons in that I was feeling growing nausea that required me to lie down and though I was fatigued, I couldn’t sleep. My partner decided to make me a salad lunch which I ate and I was fine after that. Sometimes my body struggles with FDs due to my history of low cortisol. If my cortisol levels are challenged by other stresses and I’ve used up too much of my supply dealing with those, I can feel very ill if I fast and this can include dizziness and feeling as if I’ll faint. I’ve only had to abort one FD that I can think of, though that is why I sometimes elect a 6:1 rather than 5:2 week. However, maybe adopting an earlier eating time with snack could suit me better on certain days. Thanks LJ for the tip.

I just saw this story from the wine country fires and wanted to share with all of you animal lovers. Itā€™s about a dog who refused to leave 8 bottle fed goats when his family was evacuated – and survived, with all of the goats and a deer who joined them along the way. Not all heroes are human!

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article179237671.html?#emlnl=Afternoon_Newsletter&id=am9hbm5lbUBtYWMuY29t

Hi all,

Just had a very nice lunch of couscous, haloumi & veg – leftovers from Sunday. I had an appointment with the physio before that and he’s managed to deal with the tension in my left shoulder that had been causing me some problems.

Cali – thanks for sharing that story – a bit of good news is always uplifting.

Minka – sorry to hear that nausea is a frequent issue for you on a FD. Luckily for me it was hopefully an aberration due to the recent gastric illness. I was a little worried on the FD that I would run out of calories, but I think it just requires a lower calorie dinner so that there are adequate calories for those snacks.

Found this group of interesting salads that could easily be adopted for fast days.
    Instead of the vermicelli we could use the low cal noodles, instead of the haloumi maybe tofu. Some of the other recipes could be great for NFDs but staying healthy as the same time.
    http://www.taste.com.au/quick-easy/galleries/15-minute-weeknight-salads/q6mWgiuT?page=1

Julie, thanks for posting the salads link. I usually donā€™t think of mixing whole grains with lots of greens or chopped fresh veggies, but I really like the textures and flavors. Quinoa is a good grain for salads and so is barley. Maybe Iā€™ll make one for dinner tomorrow.

Thanks JJ, now that the weather is warming up I’m finding salads more inviting.
    I do occasionally use haloumi on FDs – I just need to keep the portion modest. I buy Lemnos organic haloumli that is 1200kj per 100g. On a FD I usually limit the portion to 50-60g. As long as you team it with low cal veg, it’s not difficult to include small portions of higher cal foods. Alternatively you could use paneer – this can be grilled just like haloumi, but has only 800kg per 100g – it’s not salty but has a milder sweeter flavour.

Cali, what a lovely story. Great dog.
    Hi Quakka, hoping it is a good fast day!
    You too Thin, or are you so skinny at the moment that you are 6:1ing?
    Minka, Congratulations for getting through your Monday.
    Very nice salad meals JJulie!
    Have fun at the circus, LJoyce.
    Penguin, keep that little robin safe through Storm Brian!

The mung bean pancakes were quite good. Sort of like dal in pancake form! Not sure if I will make them again. Maybe I will. I will put the recipe up on the bean thread when I get the chance.

Oh dear, I’m so behind on responding to posts that I don’t know where to start. I’ll try and remember some of the things that stuck with me rather than reading through them all again.

First and foremost, all the best to you Cinque for tomorrow’s test results.

Congratulations to Arel, I believe I read yesterday – or was that today? – that you’d dropped 900 gms. Hurray! And great that your work colleague is also practicing fasting. Keep up the good work!

JJulie, so sorry for all the losses you’re experiencing. The news items you cited made it over here too. I think crocodile stories are instantly zoomed around the world, like news of shark attacks. Hurray for getting into the 79s again – now to keep the trend going! I didn’t mean to sound bossy about giving up the wine for a couple of weeks (I could have done with a glass myself just reading your sad stories to be honest). I was thinking only that if you’re bouncing around on that pesky 80kg mark, there’s no point in continuing doing the same thing and hoping for a different result, something has to change. I’m not into deprivation at all! That’s why I love 5:2 so much. It was only a suggestion for a couple of weeks just to work out what might have an effect.

I remember that I resisted the ‘carbs’ message for so long and then, like many others here, gave up bread and the difference to my weight was dramatic. I hadn’t been receptive to that information earlier, only when I hit a lengthy plateau. As LJ says, we’re all different and it may have no effect at all. I know you’re motivated and you’ll find your rhythm in your own way.

As far as watching OH eat and drink, I am more or less over the feelings I used to experience of ‘missing out’. Now I just think ‘that’s your insulin, not mine’. My neighbours have taught me that it’s possible to enjoy life without food and drink. Many hours have been wasted over cups of herbal tea on someone’s FD!

Cinque and LJ, I watched the gut programme. I can’t honestly say I enjoyed it much. I think it might have been a bit too much ‘reality TV’ for me.

The only other thing I can remember reading is about Stay’s testy 4yo grandie! Gosh, I’d always thought they were perfect angels with the grandparents. I’m happy that the circus has very few animal acts – have you ever been to Cirque du Soleil? First saw them in San Diego about 30 years ago, I think they were just starting up back then. They come to Perth, we love it.

Lovely to hear from you CalifD, thanks, I shall reply! And thanks for the compliments but I think you were looking at someone else’s photo! Loved the story about the dog and the goats. And the budgie.

Oh yes, a little bit of a boost in the today’s mail. After a year of fasting (in August 2015), I’d asked my GP to run some blood tests hoping that my fasting glucose would have come down dramatically from 4.9. I really wanted to prove to OH all the good I’d been doing. Anyway, at that time I had about 100 fasts under my belt so confidently sauntered up to the clinic around 11am (to avoid the mad dash to get there first at 8am when they open so everyone can get home to have a coffee/eat something as I’d always done before.) The nurse commented that I’d probably ‘over-fasted’ but took the blood anyway. My fasting glucose remained as it had been the previous year at 4.9. I was disappointed and just kept quiet about it! Anyway, two years on, I’ve just had a non-fasting blood test for other reasons and was so happy to see that my non-fasting glucose was 4.5. I know it’s only 0.4 down from the fasting glucose but I’m very happy with it anyway. It’s great to bask in a non-tangible benefit of fasting (because my weight is the same as it was two years ago so it’s not a function of that).

I’m having Mexican soup for FD dinner (no, Cinque, I was 60.7kg this morning, very much 5:2ing and trying to get back to 60kg or below). Snap we are posting together. Loads of beans, spices and a little chicken. 277 cals. Hello to everyone I haven’t mentioned today. Have a great day everyone. Stick with it, you can do it!

Hi again everyone,

Thin, i did not think you were at all bossy. I am gradually working out what my body likes and does not like and it seems to be the alcohol. I think it stops my body loosing the weight even if I dont go over the calorie count for the day. I was keeping that indulgence for the weekends but now I shall keep off for awhile and see if my body responds differently.

So far today I have had the last of the minestrone soup for lunch. Then I made a soup using leeks, swiss brown mushrooms, enoki mushrooms with an aian style soup base of water, soy, garlic. vegie stock powder and chilli flakes and about 50g of tofu diced into very small cubes. Only 98 calories a serve. I had a little taste and is is great. This will be dinner when I get back from Taiko lesson tonight.

See you all tomorrow morning!!

There’s some witchcraft going on with this thread. It says there’s a post from Stay but that post isn’t appearing. Stay, I think you mentioned losing a post before. The other day there was something weird with one of Cinque’s posts. If you post a long missive, it can be a good idea to highlight/copy before pressing submit. If you find, like JJulie, that you’ve been locked out when you were thought you were logged in, you’ll lose your post at that point. I think we’ve all experienced it in the past – it mostly happened when we we went back to edit something. You can contact JJ, the site admin and she’ll re-publish any lost posts if you give her an approximate date stamp.

JJulie, mushrooms are like a free gift on a fast day! I think you have access to a greater variety than we can get over here.

I’ve just seen that cool budgie photo. Have we heard from Penguin since the storm hit the UK?

I clicked on that post from Stay a few minutes ago and it took me to her post that she lost yesterday, that is back in chronological order on the last page!

I’m feeling sorry I haven’t managed to reply to everyone’s posts from yesterday, because there is such good stuff. But so glad other people have! I kept nodding as I read. Thanks for those good wishes Thin.

Just heading to bed. Fast day tomorrow.

Thinatlast. Penguin is fit and well. — It hit Ireland and the north west of the UK.

I have also had posts disappear on me and I seem to have missed some that others have had.

To join the booze conversation. No booze on FDs, I Iose weight. Booze on FDs, I’ll lose less weight. No booze on NFDs , the weight stays off. Booze on NFDs and I’ll put weight on again. Thats simple enough for a brain as old and worn out as mine to understand. Unfortunately I like whiskey so occasionally I stray.

Gā€™day LJoyce, Stay, Arelkade, Cinque, Thin, Julie, Penguin, Quaka, Minka and whoever else is here reading. My FD went well yesterday at about 465 calories, and I lost 1.4 kg that I put on over the weekend and Monday. Most of it seems to be water weight. Iā€™m at 60.5 this morning. Looking at the past month, I seem to be maintaining when I want to be losing. I need to stop the overeating on NFD so I can get to my goal weight of 58.

Cinque, sending positive thoughts your way for your test results today. It looks from the weather app I use that you should have a warm day today, similar to the temps weā€™re seeing here. Fall is the nicest time of the year here. The ornamental pear trees in front of our house are just barely starting to turn color. They usually turn orange and red before the leaves fall. I love those trees.

I always copy my post if I leave the page to look something up while Iā€™m writing a post. Iā€™ve lost half finished writings too many times.

Thin, Iā€™ve never paid much attention to my glucose numbers on blood tests because theyā€™ve always been in the normal range. I take it that they donā€™t change very quickly? Iā€™ve always thought that mine should be higher since I eat so much sugar, or did before 5:2.

Julie, have you heard anything more about your friends on the trawler? Itā€™s so sad when something like this happens.

I donā€™t drink alcohol very often anymore because I feel out of sorts the next day, but when I did drink more often I found it always slowed down weight loss. Even when I didnā€™t eat much with the alcohol it seemed to put weight on. I drink dry wines, like Chardonnay or Cabernets and the calorie counts for those are relatively low. So they must affect metabolism in a different way.

Iā€™m finally cooking up some adzuki beans in the Instant Pot. Iā€™m anxious to see how they taste. But Iā€™m seeing higher calorie counts for these beans as compared to some of the other varieties. Myfitnesspal says 294 calories for a cup. Maybe thatā€™s because theyā€™re small and more fit into a cup?

Penguin, I loved reading about your little robin eating out of your hand while you were digging in your garden. I was telling my sister and OH about that yesterday and they were surprised that a robin would get so tame. That is so cool!

Cinque, so that’s why LJ’s post appeared at the top of this page, when Quakka’s had been there previously. I went back and read Stay’s post but it was the same as she’d written elsewhere. Hi Stay, are you doing the second of B2B fasts today? All the best for that if so.

CalifD, you’re right, where the glucose numbers are WNL, they won’t receive much, if any, attention except perhaps where numbers at the high end of ‘normal’ could be indicative of a person becoming pre-diabetic. When I showed my results to DD, she brushed it off as insignificant, bursting my balloon. Her rationale being that it’s just a snapshot that would have yielded a different reading an hour later or an hour earlier in the day. Then again, I’m not a dog. Haven’t been back to the human doc yet.

CalifD, I looked up the instant pot. We can buy it here for $99. Is there something in the innerds that can be removed for cleaning or must you clean the entire pot after use? Those last few lbs are often hardest to shift. It must be extra challenging for you as you travel for work. I reached a plateau and stayed there so long that I decided to call it maintenance. I think LJ did the same.

We have Bradford pears outside our house. We have a long verge so we have 6 of them. In autumn they turn a beautiful deep orange and red. The street looks amazing for a brief period before the leaves fall.

Frothy Thursday for me. I do believe that fasting makes you appreciate food and drink better.

Good morning. Dreadful hot night here for Spring, at 6am it was 26C which is higher than the day’s forecast high. But the day should be nice and more normal temperatures for the rest of the week.

It is Thursday Fast Day for me and I am beginning my new routine of having a light nutritious snack in the middle of the day, in the hope that I will function better through the afternoon.

Chicken and mushrooms set for my miso soup this evening.

Thin, I do just love how 5:2 makes eating such a pleasure, especially the day after a Fast Day. And also on Fast Days!

It was so warm yesterday I went looking through my summer clothes. I am being very fussy and sending anything that is not gorgeous, or quite the right fit, off to the op shop. I have a nice pile.
    I am also noticing that my style is still changing. After years of loose clothes I went through a stage of not being able to stand anything flowing! I wanted nice close fits since I had a bit of shape for things to fit.
    But also, since I no longer have Gday’s youthfulness (bit jealous Gday), I am working out what feels right for 60, which mostly means a bit longer.

The instant pot is wonderful! Yes, you just need to wash the insert.

Not joining the booze conversation because I am so intolerant to alcohol these days. šŸ™ šŸ™ šŸ™ I so miss a wine with dinner or a port at the end of the day. But maybe it has made weightloss easier šŸ™‚

Cali, Autumn is my favourite season too! Enjoy yours!
    And yes, just keep working at those last few kilos. It will happen. It is amazing how much less we need to eat at our healthy weight, and it takes some adjusting. (Still adjusting) Hooray for being works in progress though.

Just about to go to my appt. Thanks for the good wishes.

Thin, the Instant Pot has a stainless steel liner that lifts out. That, and the lid are the only things that need to be washed. It cleans up very easily. Once I forgot to put the liner back in and dumped water in the main part which ran through, over the electrical parts and out through the bottom. I took it apart to let it dry and it was just fine. But the water was only in it for about 30 seconds. I now put a wooden spoon across the top when the liner is out to remind me.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BKHGX0/ref=asc_df_B008BKHGX05222136/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B008BKHGX0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198070682048&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4116306982796808544&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032519&hvtargid=pla-354264804692

Our ornamental pear trees donā€™t get any fruit, just lovely flowers in the spring and beautiful leaves in the summer and fall. Looking up pictures of the Bradford Pear, I think they may be the same thing. We have 2 of them. There an Oak in front too.

Cinque, I think ladies ā€œof a certain ageā€ can wear mini skirts if they wear them with dark tights, like this: http://thenortheastgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/92.png I think if the skirt isnā€™t too short that still is a nice look, donā€™t you think? I miss panty hose! Not that many people have legs that look good without stockings, at least in my opinion. Panty hose hide a lot of little imperfections.

Good morning all,

I have started reading all the posts since my last one, gee there is a few!

Thin, I just love mushrooms and the Japanese have such a large variety of them. The soup I made yesterday was really lovely and simple and I thought low in calories so my third FD in a row went really well. For three days I have kept below 500 calories, I have not had any alcohol in that time even though OH has had his wine. (I understand at this time he is holding in some of his emotions about the loss of friends on the vessel)
    BUT this morning when I woke up and weighed myself I still had not budged with weight and I was 80.9 when the other day I had gone back under the 80s…..just.
    I just dont understand it. Anyhow today was not going to be a FD at all so with the feeling of giving up on this I decided to still keep under the 500 calories but at the same time give myself a little treat.
    Monday I made tuna patties for OH and 18yo as it is one of their favourites (mine too) but I did not eat any. OH had some heated last night as well for a quick dinner after Taiko lesson while I had my soup. Anyhow I have just savoured one for breakfast!!!! That was my little treat. I will work out how many calories in one and now eat for the rest of the day accordingly. Do you think I have done the wrong thing eating this tuna pattie?

CalifD, you asked about the trawler. OH received a phone call this morning to say the water police have found it. He is now working with the police on drawing a layout of below deck so the divers have some idea of what they would be encountering when they get inside. We wont know much more until after the water police have investigated.
    Although the vessel sunk farther south of us, the vessel’s home port is Cairns and most of the crew are Cairns boys. Our other friend who died last year was fishing for sea cucumber as well in around the same area, but in that case a tug boat had collided with his vessel causing it to capsize. Our friend who was the master and owner of the vessel, died trying to save another crew member who was trapped below.
    CalifD, wow great to see you have a loss of 1.4kg even it was what you put on over the weekend, it would be great to get it back off!
    How did the adzuki beans go? Yes I saw that they were 294 for a cup, interesting as I have had the minstrone soup I made for two days, Monday and Tuesday using the adzuki beans. The recipe came up as 149 calories per serve if I divided the post into 4 serves, I did not think that was too bad though.

OK everyone, what is this Instant Pot you are all talking about?

CalifD, thanks for the explanation of the Instant pot in your post which I have only just now read. I gather it make things cook quicker?

Your pear trees sound lovely. We can not grow apples, pears, cherries etc here but I would love a cherry tree just for it’s blossom even without the fruit.

Anyhow have to go now as I have an appointment with the accountant and have to work out some figures for him first.

Catch you all later.

That lady looks very classy CalifD. However, if she’s a lady of a certain age, I shudder to think what that makes me.

JJulie, how disappointing. All I can say is don’t forget the ‘feast’ part of this ‘feast and famine’ lifestyle! Just as important IMHO. As Big Bill said, you don’t want it to become like any other deprivation diet. I’m sure you’ll see a big drop when you least expect it. I stayed the same weight after yesterday’s FD, yet after the two NFD days prior to that, I lost 100gm per day. I’ve given up trying to work it out.

Hope you received good news, Cinque.

Hi all. Boy you guys have been busy this morning, I still haven’t finished reading all the posts that appeared since last night.

The circus was great. The kids loved it to, which was really the point of being there. I think miss4 fancies herself as a trapeze acrobat now. I really liked the acrobats and contortionists – I’m glad they do mostly that rather than animals these days. However there was one really cute animal act. After the “real” trainers bought out dogs, horses and geese to perform, the clown came out with toy animals. The last of these was a little toy tiger cub. He got it to do a wobbly walk then fall on its side a few times and I thought, what a cute toy. They he unzipped the back of the toy and a live toy poodle jumped out! Wasn’t expecting that.
    I was very good at interval – after taking the kids to buy popcorn, drinks, snow cones and toys I settled for a bottle of water.

That instant pot looks interesting, and affordable compared to many kitchen appliances. When it says “instant” does that mean it’s a pressure cooker?

Hi back from my hospital appt, but no real news. My specialist is overseas, the biopsy wasn’t helpful and so I have another appt for next week (only took two hours and expensive parking!). Well, no news is good news and the nice doctor I saw was much better at answering questions than the specialist so it was all good.

The instant pot is an electric pressure cooker combined with a slowcooker, rice cooker and yoghurt maker. As pressure cookers go, the electric ones don’t work to as high pressure as the good stovetop ones, but that just means you might have to add a few minutes to a recipe.
    I bought my daughter the Breville Fast/Slow cooker which is very similar to the Instant Pot, and I found it easy to use. It is lovely that it has a timer so you don’t have to watch it, like my stovetop pc.

So glad the circus was fun LJoyce!

Ha Thin, yep, I am an old lady compared to the woman in the link! My legs look better than they have for decades, but I just don’t feel comfortable with things above my knees, even with leggings! Luckily I have found nice things that are just below my knees and they feel right. But the fashion for shorter skirts on dresses makes op shopping harder at the moment!

Well, off to make my little light fast day snack. Cheers all.

Julie, I donā€™t think one tuna pattie would throw off your weight loss unless it was fried and drenched in oil. In fact, I may try to make some using tinned tuna packed in water, egg, a very small amount of bread crumbs, dill, salt and pepper. It could be baked or fried with very little oil. What do you think? I donā€™t think that would be many calories. What did you put in yours, Julie?

If your body is anything like mine, sometimes it just decides to hold on to weight no matter what. I had that really long plateau that went on for abut 3 weeks a couple months ago. I didnā€™t lose anything after a fast day, and I wasnā€™t eating that badly on NFDs. Then, all of a sudden I lost a couple kegs within a week or so. I think I did a B2B fast to get things moving again. (I rarely do B2B.) Everyone here has probably gone through that. So donā€™t give up, youā€™ll start losing again.

Cinque and thin, that picture of the woman with the black tights wasnā€™t a ā€œwoman of a certain ageā€, I just used the picture to show the black skirt and tights. I think itā€™s appropriate for women who are no longer spring chickens. šŸ˜

LJoyce, the Instant Pot isnā€™t really Instant itā€™s more automatic than instant. It is a pressure cooker, but like Cinque mentioned, it doesnā€™t reach as high of a pressure as a stovetop one does. It takes about 10 minutes to build up pressure and it takes some time to cool down after. The part I like is that you can just set it and then not worry about it. This is the one I bought in February: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFEBQH1/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It gets used so often that we leave it out on the counter.

Thanks for the update Cinque.

Instant Pot. Read all about it: http://instantpot.com (oh I see that Cinque and CalifD have since responded). CalifD – do you have shares in Amazon?

LJ, I used to think poodles were yappy little annoying dogs. But after years of boarding dogs in our home following our dingo’s passing, we gained experience with all sorts of breeds. We came to know poodles as incredibly smart dogs. One toy poodle X, Chico stayed with us several times for up to 4 months. We could train him to do all sorts of commands and he could go and fetch a named toy (such as the BLUE ball). Unfortunately, his mum moved back to NZ and we eventually had the sad duty of sending him over to join her via JetPets. It was 5am when the van came to collect him and the three of us stood in the driveway balling our eyes out! DD has since been to NZ and visited him! I still don’t like animals being used for that purpose but I agree with you LJ, it’s all come a long way from the exotic animals we used to see caged up and travelling the country. Your circus antics seem harmless fun in the scheme of things. I’m still a medium/large dog fan overall but I wouldn’t discount a poodle.

Thanks for the instant pot info – the duo mini looks to be about the right size model for me – if I can get over my long time fear & aversion of pressure cookers, which I’ll admit is quite entrenched.
    What I like about this appliance is that it would allow me to do the browning and then slow or pressure cooking – without dirtying multiple pots. I also like the idea of being able to make yoghurt – I’ve never done this before – I’ve avoided yoghurt makers as I didn’t want a gadget that just made yoghurt.

Thin, I should have shares in Amazon! I buy a lot of things from them because the prices are good and itā€™s easy to shop from a tablet. The selection is huge. They seem to sell everything. A best part of it is that I can read reviews on everything. Even when I shop in a store, I often check Amazon to see what people think about a product before I buy it. Their customer service is excellent.

LJoyce, the circus sounds like it was fun. Iā€™m so glad they use mostly acrobats and trapeze artists now. It was probably due to pressure from people about the way some of the animals were treated.
    I love Cirque du Soleil. Iā€™ve seen different shows in Las Vegas a few times. Those performers are so talented and the shows are so creative and well done. Most of them have great music too.

LJoyce, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s even possible to make a modern day pressure cooker of any kind blow up. There are so many failsafe measures. The just release steam and lose their seal of they build up too much pressure. And thatā€™s with a stove top one that you control the heat on. The Instant Pot is automatic, you just select the amount of time. The worst thing that could probably happen is that you overlook or undercook something. Often I just guess at the amount of time. I like that it turns itself off and just keeps the food warm.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,251 through 13,300 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.