Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,912 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Intesha 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,901 through 12,950 (of 28,016 total)

• Hi Thin,

Because I’m feeling very low energy, I’m letting myself have my full 500 calories for today’s FD. I’m having my usual whey peptide protein powder with inulin, a bowl of La Zuppa soup with a bit of extra zoodled zucchini and 20 grams of frozen peas. Well, here’s the admission I’ve never written about… I’m going to admit that I actually have what many would consider a somewhat less healthy choice, which is a particular protein powder shake that I really like and works for me. It is one in which I simply add water and shake, so is actually practical when I’m out, especially driving around in the car on a FD and have no break to eat anything while working. I didn’t have any of the above until 2:30 pm this afternoon. Including the Emu Oil capsules I take daily, the calories today total: 497 and I’m happy with that for today. I’m feeling very satisfied. The 500 calories feel luxurious!

Hi Everyone
    A quick, very late, post.
    We had a lovely dinner last night with our friends and looked at photos from a holiday we did together a year ago. I did have 2 wines and then a licorice liquor. I also had a Magnum for dessert
    Today I did a fast day.
    We dropped into our daughters house, they are having some renovations done, and ended up taking 2 granddaughters home for the afternoon and a sleep over. My hubby is on night shift so I hope they sleep thru.

Micheal Mosley ‘Do we Need Health Tests’ on SBS 7.30pm tonight.

Good morning everyone,

Beautiful day here in FNQ. I cant believe that we have had such mild weather for this time of year. Usually it has started to get hot and with some slight rain making it a bit humid, but we are having beautiful crisp mornings with dew still on the grass, clear skies and I have not started the aircon up as yet!!

So after a very good day yesterday and a good nights sleep, I weighed myself on my very dodgy scales and I am at 81.8 making a loss of 0.7kg for the day. When I first weighed myself this morning I weighed 82.4 which only made a loss of 0.1kg but then I watered the veggie patch, folded clothes and put away and chased the dogs in the back yard after they decided to bark at something. I decided to look for some new scales on the internet and saw some that looked like what I already have so went up to see the make of these scales and decided to weigh again.

I then decided to see if I could fit into my jeans that I have not been able to for that long I can not remember. I am now wearing them!! a little tight but at least they are on me and I am not wearing my black easy fit pants that I own 8 pairs of and has been the only thing I have been able to fit into for over a year!!

Today is another fast day so I am looking forward to a good one.

Total loss so far is now 5.1kg which is making me feel really good. I am feeling so motivated at the moment. It is good that OH is overseas as it makes it easier for me to eat just what I want and not be tempted by OH’s wine that he might have.

This coming weekend will be a big test for me.

All of my husband’s relatives are arriving for the scattering of his father’s ashes and they are planning BBQs etc. As I have not been eating meat this is going to be so hard for me to do, but I have decided to make some healthy dips and have celery and carrot sticks for snacks. I will make the salads and the men can cook the BBQ. I will just have to eat wisely.

hope everyone has a great day today and if your fasting, like me, lets hope it’s a good loss!!!

signing off now!!

Good morning everyone,
    Thanks for the tv program heads up Gday.

Congrats JJ, aren’t you powering along nicely. Hooray re the trousers. What a lovely plan for the bbq.
    Your weather sounds wonderful! That is my absolute favourite weather.

My fast day yesterday went well. I made a big pot of vegetable soup, including lentils, instead of my miso, and took some over to my daughters to have while I babysat. The kids loved it! Miss 3 is one of those ‘no veggies’ kids but loved the ‘soup juice’ and little Miss 1-on-Wednesday loved the cauliflower and broth. So I felt like the worlds best grandmother. (Then accidentally burst the blue balloon and gave the dairy intolerant baby a spoon of yoghurt: dreadful grandma!). And even with them helping me, I still got most of my bowl of soup so it was a lovely end to a hungry day.

Lets see what is on the last page…

Ooh yes, cumin is beautiful in hummus. I’ll have some of that beetroot dip (I love it with cumin in too)!

Thin I love the way you do fast days and, truly, some of my best friends use tea bags!
    😉

Good luck with the coconut psyllium bread, and woot for our teenage fashions.
    I hope your energy picks up now Minka, and I hope the grandkiddies slept through Stay! I’ll have Miss 3 overnight tonight and I am sad to say we rarely sleep well, but at least her parents get an easier night.

Best wishes for today everyone!

Good morning all,
    Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Cinque – sounds like you had a busy Sunday, although a successful FD.

GDSA – thanks for the tip on the next MM documentary.

JJ – Congrats on getting into the jeans. I think jeans are the best measure of how our weight is truly going, much more reliable than the scales. When it comes to a pair of tight jeans there’s nowhere to hide. I can always rely on my jeans to give a brutally honest assessment of how my weight’s going.

I was going to bake today, but I’m more in a cleaning mood – that urge doesn’t strike often so I’m taking advantage of it. Usually I clean under sufferance because it has to be done. I think it was me flooding the laundry cupboard last night that started this. I pulled everything out and got all the water off the shelves and left everything in the hallway to dry off overnight. Now that I’ve put the laundry back together it looks clean, tidy and sparkly. It’s motivated me to get a few more rooms looking that way.

Thin – I saw your weather forecast this morning – 4 days of rain and thunderstorms. I hope your garden enjoys it.

Hi Everyone
    Thanks Gday, I will try to watch that.
    Julie, I will have a similar weekend. It’s my sisters birthday on GF day and we will all go there. It’s also my daughter’s birthday and we are getting together on Sunday with our immediate family (10 adults and 3 kids). We will have to have a plan!
    Cinque, what a great ( not great but lovely 😩) grandmother you are having your granddaughter, knowing she won’t sleep well- my 4yo joined me for a cuddle at 6am and the other slept til 7. I’ve ended up having them most of the day today as my girls have gone Birthday shopping.
    LJoyce it often takes something like that to spur us on. This time it was me coming home after a 6 week holiday and everything falling out of the kitchen cupboards- thanks to my kids.
    I had a good fast day yesterday and as I officially weigh my self on Mondays, I can report a 800g loss for the week- I’m happy with that 🙂
    Have a great day everyone xx

Good job Stay! That’s a tremendous loss for one week. You too JJulie. Yes Cinque, you are a very kind grandmother sacrificing your own sleep for that of the parents!

LJ, I hit the treadmill as, by 10am, it looked like the rain had set in for the day. 17C high. What’s going on? Unexpectedly, the sun came out in the early afternoon so I did my walk too. And then pruned our lime tree. Probably not the best timing but it needed cutting back. Time for a cup of tea and finish my book.

My cleaning bug lasted long enough for me to now have a sparkling lounge, bedroom and laundry. And all the floors are done too.

I had a huge cauliflower to prepare for roasted cauliflower salad later in the week. It was so big I decided to cut two thick cauliflower steaks from the centre and just roast the rest for salad. Normally I just season them and then panfry in butter. I decided to try something different tonight. After blanching them, I dipped one in eggwhite and then in a mixture of grated parmesan, dried thyme, garlic salt and panko breadcrumbs. I cooked it in a nonstick pan in a little butter, so that the parmesan would remain on the cauliflower. It’s really tasty – I’ll definitely make this again.

Just watching the MM doco on SBS – it started to feel really familiar and when they got the segment on statins, I realised I’d seen it before. After a bit of checking I found it was made in 2104-15 and was shown on SBS last year. However I only remember seeing about half of this episode, so worth watching again.

I made the hommus recipe, thanks LJoyce for posting it. It tastes lovely but I think i put too much garlic in it so I am going to add more chickpeas to it and a little more lemon juice. I want to take it to the BBQ on Friday night with the carrot sticks and celery. I also found some gluten free crackers called hommus crisps which will also go down well. They are made from chickpea flour and taste really nice. (I taste tested them!)
    Tonight I had falafel for dinner. 4 little balls weighing 75g and 176 calories. had them with some tomatoes. Then some of the hommus crackers and the hommus. Total calories for today is 390.

I should go to bed now as if i stay up too long I will want to eat more!!!

JJ – glad it worked. Sorry about garlic measurement – I tend to be over generous with both the garlic and the lemon.
    I love felafel too, it’s one of my favourite vego foods.

JJ, I make my own hummus too. I rarely buy it ready made because of all the oil and lately, sugar that they add. I usually don’t add tahini or olive oil at all and really don’t miss it that much. I don’t measure ingredients, but I probably put in more garlic than most people. LJoyce, I LOVE the idea of using a small amount of sesame oil! I have toasted sesame oil in my frig all the time and it never occurred to me to add it to hummus. I will from now on! It has such intense flavor that your 1 tsp would be plenty.
    I’ve been adding a good amount of fresh basil or sun dried tomatoes to my hummus in the past year or two. I went to a restaurant down in southern CA a couple years ago that had an appetizer called a Hummus Trio, with a scoop of regular hummus, one with basil and one with sun dried tomatoes. I love that restaurant, just because of that appetizer. https://www.lazydogrestaurants.com/img/content/Hummus-Trio03122015104307-lg.jpg

The restaurant, The Lazy Dog Cafe has a great menu. I’ll post a link, but be warned that it could be overly tempting. http://www.lazydogrestaurants.com/menu

CharliesMum, thank you for the Golden Paste recipe. I’m going to make some of that. I may have to get a little more turmeric. The black pepper is important for sure since it greatly increases the bioavailability.

I ate too much over the weekend and gained .8 kg. Good thing today is a FD. I really need it. I do seem to sabotage my own efforts fairly often. Why do I do that?

I need to catch up on all the posts here but need to get back to work now. Hope everyone is having a good day. It’s great to see so many people posting!

JJ, there is no such thing as too much garlic! If a little bit is good, a lot is better! 😁😂 LJoyce, I’m pretty generous with the lemon juice too.🍋

CalifD, I relate to sabotaging your own efforts. Fortunately, adhering to two FDs in maintenance accommodates my less desirable food behaviour.

CaliD – thanks for the tip on adding sundried tomato or basil to hommus, I would never have thought of putting those flavours together.
    I do make a pesto with sundried tomato, fresh basil, a few toasted pine nuts and just enough olive oil to blend. If I use the semidried tomatoes I find I don’t need to add a lot of oil because they retain some of their moisture content. But I have to freeze leftovers fairly quickly. I usually make a big batch when the basil is flourishing and freeze it in a long cylindrical roll shape wrapped in plastic. Once it’s frozen I slice it into 15mm (half inch) slices and keep them in the freezer in a ziploc bag. I add these little flavour bombs to all sorts of things.
    With the hommus I often add fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves before I blend – you end up with a hommus that’s green rather than beige. I also sometimes season it with tamari (Japanese soy) rather than salt. When I’m making things like this at home I don’t use a recipe I just add stuff until the flavour and texture is right – it means each batch is unique.

I agree with Thin – the point of still having FDs in maintenance is that it allows you to have a very merry weekend and take care of it with a Monday FD.
    I have a couple of meals out with friends later this week so I’ll need my FDs to address any excess.

Minka, I’m going to have a go at your coconut psyllium bread today – I’m in a baking mood. I have butternut soup for lunch so if I get cracking I may have fresh warm bread to go with it. I’m going to start with half the recipe and a mini loaf (5-6 slices) in case I stuff it up.

I’m a bit doubtful – I’ve made the coconut psyllium “dough” and put it into the oven to bake. The dough texture is not like anything I’ve come across before – it looks and feels more like set gelatin than dough. (I was reminded of play doh) I’m hoping it will all come right in the oven. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
    I have to say though, that when I opened the bag of coconut flour, the smell was just lovely. I can really imagine using this ingredient in fruit breads. I’m already imagining flavour combinations that would work well.
    I also think that if a curry needed thickening a bit of coconut flour might do the job beautifully.

Good morning, just waved goodbye to the darling moppet. She slept through (first time) but I go into a hyper vigilant thing with kids so I slept very lightly.

We’ve been to the park in lovely morning sunlight, but the place is a mess because she is at the age where anything you go to tidy up… she decides she must play with.

LJoyce, synchronicity! I made very similar cauliflower things last night. My recipe is to blanch small florets for two minutes and then dip in yoghurt. Then coat in exactly the mixture you described, and pop in the oven until crispy. (Miss three helped me make them but didn’t eat them 🙁 Maybe next time.)

I wonder if the ‘sabotage’ is our back brain mistakenly thinking we want to go back to our heaviest weight. Just so glad 5:2 balances out a bit of sabotage.

I’ll watch the MM doco and find out if I’ve seen it before also!

Need to lie down for a little now. I wonder if the cleaning mood might come upon me. Fingers crossed!

Well, this will probably work when I get to my goal weight but I still have 2.5 to 3 kg to go to get to my goal. Maybe it’s my procrastination gene trying to prevent me from finishing! Cinque, I hope it’s not my back brain trying to get me back to my heaviest weight. Maybe it’s trying to get me back to my sugar habit again.

It’s 7 pm here and I’ve only had 200 calories so far, something of a record for me, even on a FD. I had 2 scrambled eggs with lots of mushrooms for a late lunch. Eating mostly protein does seem to help keep the hunger feelings away.

LJoyce, adding fresh cilantro to hummus would be good, I think. Thank you for yet another great idea. How did your coconut psyllium bread turn out?

Thin, my sister has been using the treadmill lately. She has about 9 pounds to lose and I’ve been trying to convince her to do the 5:2 WOL. But she’s resistant. You’ve been doing a lot of projects around the house lately, painting rooms, pruning trees… we have a Meyers lemon tree (or very large bush) in the garden that we planted about 15 years ago. It has lots of big green lemons on it now, which usually ripen sometime in December. It’s one of the few fruit trees that bear fruit in the winter rather than summer.

Stay, congrats on the 800g weight loss! Great job! That’s a lot for a week.

Cinque – if the sleeping through becomes the norm, hopefully you’ll feel able to sleep a bit more soundly. Enjoy our rest.

Cali – the little loaf of bread looks nice. I ended up making the full mixture as I realised half wouldn’t be enough for my small loaf tin. It took 65 mins to cook, but it’s still cooling. I decided to allow it to properly cool before cutting it, so I can judge the texture better. I ended up swapping lunch and dinner. I just made an omelette with parmesan, pancetta and mushrooms. I’ll have the soup & coconut bread for dinner. I am already thinking that when I make a fruit loaf, coconut flour might be a very nice addition to the range of flours I use. Because I don’t have issues with gluten I can just use it as one the flours I combine in a normal bread dough. I am more comfortable making the traditional yeasted doughs that I’m used to than the psyllium option. Although a bit of practice might change that.

Cinque, perhaps Little Miss Three can tidy up her own playthings leaving you more time and energy to be the extra super grandma that you are! Hurray for sleeping through the night. I have one more night of great sleep before OH returns from the outback tomorrow.

The two cauliflower snack recipes both sound like heaven. I must copy them before they disappear into the list of posts.

I seem to get these feelings of ‘sabotage’ when I get at or below 60kg. Perhaps it isn’t sabotage but just my body saying, “hey, that’s far enough”. Three little words I never thought could ever be associated with me are, “You’re thin enough”. We have to also remember the other reasons we’re practicing 5:2: switching on those repair genes, inducing long-lasting changes to assist against ageing and disease and what was that other thing? Oh yes, improving mental acuity.

CalifD, (unless you’re going to add to the Caulif recipes), our lime tree is prolific too. Never really a good time to prune it. Sadly, we had NO oranges this year and I don’t know why. Lots of blossoms again now so I hope they don’t all fall off. Whenever I use my treadmill (stormy, wet or stinking hot days), I’m reminded how bored I was at the gym; how much money I spent on memberships over decades (unlike LJ’s bargain) and how I never lost weight doing that but kept doing it anyway – a bit like the ‘treadmill of life’. I hope your sister adopts our wonderful WOL.

LJ, I have two more restaurant meals to tackle this week too.

Hi Thin

I didn’t have any oranges either. I suspect it was high winds at the wrong time that blew the blossom off the tree. Sometimes unseasonal heat can do that too – the tree drops its blossom or fruit and concentrates on survival.
    I am however due for a bumper plum crop – the tree has so much blossom I can barely see the branches.

Good luck with those meal – I’m sure you’ll be planning in advance like I will. I have a Malaysian lunch tomorrow (I’m thing of ordering sambal squid). Friday is lunch at “Sarah’s Sister” – a vegetarian restaurant. I haven’t checked that menu yet. Thursday needs to be a FD and then probably Sunday.

I’m under no illusions about time and the gym. I don’t expect it to make much difference to my weight, just help get my activity levels up to what they need to be and hopefully contribute a little to toning. However I seem to get myself into trouble with the exercise bike – which is the only aerobic equipment I can use at the gym. Unfortunately the display tells me how many calories I’ve burned in the 10km I usually cycle. The this little voice in my head keeps telling me I can eat more. Yet I can go for a walk and it doesn’t occur to me to eat more to compensate.

There are definitely advantages to spending time at the gym LJ. It’s just, for me, it took many decades to realise that weight loss wasn’t among them. Hence the ‘treadmill’ analogy. I don’t much like the calorie display either – I’m thinking the opposite, all that effort and I’ve only earned an apple!

Tonight I’m taking DD to a Nepalese restaurant to get her out of the house after two more exams today (one theory, one with her arm up a cow’s behind pregnancy testing). It’s a set menu deal so all that’s left for me to do is try not to eat too much. And with the inevitable unrestrained detail about the day’s events, that might not be too hard. The other is a wine tasting and shared platter lunch with OH at a winery. I think it’ll be OK too. I’m at exactly 60kg today so I feel I’m quite well set up in advance.

The Coconut loaf has cooled completely so I just cut a slice for afternoon tea. (No I couldn’t wait until dinner – I’m lucky I waited for it to cool!)
    I didn’t cook it long enough. Most of the slice has a very good light texture but the bottom 8mm of the loaf is dense moist and clearly not cooked. That’s OK I cut the bottom edge off and the rest of it is good. The flavour is good but the texture is unexpected. I’m not sure how to describe it – it’s sort of bouncy. The texture feels really light but it’s surprising how much chewing it actually takes – I suspect that’s the fibre from the psyllium. I can taste the bicarb in baking powder – it has a distinctive flavour and I do seem to be sensitive to its taste in baking.
    I’ll have another slice with dinner – I actually think it will be better balanced with other food.

Thin – I’ve never been to a Nepalese restaurant. Is it really unique, or similar to the cuisines from neighbouring countries?

JJ, Cinque & Cali – I’ve seen a few variations on hommus, but this is a new one on me – can’t say I’d ever thought of turning hommus into a chocolate dip.
    http://pulses.org/recipes/recipe/355-chocolate-salted-caramel-hummus

GDSA – if you still have broad beans in the garden, I just came across a recipe for hommus made from them. It used dried broad beans (fava beans) that are soaked and boiled. With fresh beans you could skip those steps and just boil until tender.
    http://pulses.org/recipes/recipe/246-fava-bean-hummus Actually any recipe that you can find for fava beans you can probably convert easily for fresh broad beans.

LJoyce, we went to a Napalese restaurant in Melbourne a couple of years ago when we were there on business. Found it the first night we were there and went back again on the last night we loved it so much. Yes the food is like the neighbouring countries with wonderful curries.

It’s quite similar to Indian cuisine. DD likes the momo which is a type of dumpling. It doesn’t appeal to me. She likes it because she did a World Challenge trip to Nepal in high school.

Hello all from SE Queensland,

I’m just starting the 5:2 diet, and had my first fast day yesterday. It was easier than I expected, but early days! I need to lose 30 kgs to get to a healthy weight. I’ve been gaining and losing most of my adult life, so hope that this will give me something sustainable for the rest of my life.

Warning: I’m about to rant.

I know I’ve despaired in the past about the latest healthy eating fad, where the first things everyone seems to do is uses the “rules” to find substitutes for everything they eat now, to avoid having to make any major changes. I just came across a website that illustrates my point. I was looking for interesting things to do with my bag of coconut flour and stumbled over a website that just annoyed me.
    The recipe is for Paleo chocolate chip cookies. It contains coconut flour, celtic sea salt, baking soda, palm shortening, honey, hens eggs, and chocolate chips.
    Unless I’m mistaken, paleo is meant to involve eating like a caveman. How many cavemen would have had access to any of these ingredients, let alone an oven to bake them in. I will concede that a few ancient Celts may have been able to scrape up a bit sea salt.
    If the author of the above recipe hadn’t labelled it paleo I would have been fine with it. If they’d just been labelled gluten free I’d have been quite happy. But the food of cavemen they are not.

That’s it for my rant today. I apologise in advance if anyone is offended.

Good evening all and welcome to the forum camcd. I hope your first FD was successful for you. It takes awhile to get into the swing of 5.2 with lots of tweaking along the way so dont be afraid to ask questions – were here to help.

Ljoyce yes my broad bean crop is going crazy at the moment so thanks for the recipie will give it a go on the weekend.

Just about at the end of my FD today. Having lunch at the pub with work colleagues tomorrow. The pub has a limited lunch menu so I won’t be spoilt for choice of healthy options unfortunately.

Kiefer is also going crazy with the warm weather we’ve had lately – 35 deg here again today. Im loving it with mixed berries in a smoothy each morning. Ljoyce if this keeps up i will have to stop buying my much loved Paris Creek Farm yoghurt which makes me sad as i dont get many options to buy SA high quality made goods in my location. On the upside my consumption of the PC Farm full cream milk has certainly increased with my kiefer making.

Just finished a pot of ginger tea so time for some reading and then sleep.

Hi camcd, welcome

I apologise is my previous post was not quite the welcome you were hoping for. I think we were typing at the same time. It was only after I’d posted it that I saw your post.

We are an eclectic lot on this southern hemisphere thread.
    Mostly spread across Oz, but we have one New Zealander and also a couple of Northern Hemispherites who seem to enjoy our company.

How did your first FD go? Did you find it easy to stay within your calorie limit?
    And how about today? In the beginning I found I was tempted to overeat the day after a FD and it took some time to learn not to do that.

There are a few people on our forum that have been following 5:2 for years and used it to lose weight and then maintain. I found that encouraging when I started because it showed me that this was sustainable long term.

Welcome. If you have questions, just ask.

Hi GDSA

I had the same issue. I stopped buying yoghurt a few weeks ago as I can’t keep up with both kefir and yoghurt – too much for one person. I just ferment some kefir a bit longer an remove the whey so that I have some that’s yoghurt consistency.

There’s lots of fava bean recipes around that might be useful. If you like falafel you can use fresh broad beans instead of the dry chickpeas that you’d normally have to soak for 24 hours. You don’t even have to cook the broad beans first. Just search online for broad bean falafel or Egyptian falafel.

Thanks LJoyce and GdayfromSA for your welcome. I found my first FD relatively easy with a bit of a dodgy time early afternoon. And today was okay as well – helped by working late so avoiding my hungry time late afternoon. For the last few weeks I’ve been following a mindfulness program which has been helping me improve my relationship with food through being aware. It doesn’t include any diet, but should fit with and enable any diet. I’m hoping it will integrate with 5:2 and will help each other. Thanks for your offer of help, I’ll certainly be looking out for ideas!

camcd – I am working on a mindfulness program too, with the help of a dietitian that I see every few months. I have found mindfulness has really helped with self image and a load of unhealthy thinking and behaviours that affected my eating and weight for decades. Change is a slow process, especially when I’m trying to make it permanent.
    I actually posted my last mindfulness activity on the previous page of our forum thread if you are interested (it’s about halfway down the page):
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/hello-southern-hemispherites/page/258/

Welcome cancd,

Definitely lots of help here in this forum and some lovely people to chat with.

If you did not know there is also another forum that the Southern Hemispherites post on and that is for recipes only. You might like to look at that one too for some great recipes ideas.

Sounds like you had a good first FD.

I do back to back BTB fast days usually Monday and Tuesday and then if the weekend is going to be hectic with maybe a restaurant visit I also do a FD on Friday too.

This weekend is going to be one of those with family arriving in FNQ for the long weekend.

OH flying home tonight, he is sitting in Hong Kong airport as we speak waiting for his next flight which is direct to Cairns.
    So early morning pick up for me and then I will catch up with everyone again after that.
    I want to share a new soup recipe with you all!!

signing off now!!

Good morning everyone!

Welcome Camcd!
    Congratulations on your first day. 5:2 and mindful eating is a great combination.
    30kg is the amount I lost. I started in July 2015 and got down to the lower end of my healthy weight range last November. Staying on 5:2 means I can stick there. It is just lovely! It will be my eating pattern for life.

My sister sent an email this morning, she has just come back from several weeks in Israel and said they ate hummus for breakfast, lunch and dinner and she is really missing it now she is home.

Thin, little Miss 3 is very good at helping and packing up, but Oh dear she was so excited to find all the things in my home (as I have been too sick to look after her for weeks) and by the end I had lost that ability to keep one step ahead of her and then deal with the threenager insisting. But it is all part of the fun.

Today is her little sister’s first birthday. She (Miss 1 today) has been busy practicing walking in preparation.

LJoyce that aspect of the Paleo diet makes me laugh and despair too. Especially when I think of the traditional way people in the Aboriginal communities where I worked ate (which was paleolithic but definitely included tubers and grains).

I’ve read an article where dieticians are worrying that the next fad looks like it will be anti something that is in legumes (can’t remember the actual thing) and everyone will start cutting legumes out of their diets.

Well it is day before fast day for me.

Cheers all!

Welcome camcd! I’m one of the Northern Hemispherites who made my home here, in this thread. There are so many really nice people here, A few have lost a lot of weight and are maintaining with the 5:2 WOL. It’s important to me that this way of eating is sustainable long term. I’ve gone up and down too many times in the past. I’ve got about 2.5 to 3 kg to go to get to my goal and then I want to stay there! I’ve been following the 5:2 since early May of this year and for the most part, it’s been pretty easy. It’s nice to know you don’t have to worry about eating on holidays or going out with friends and family. Fast Days seem to atone for those days. Of course, it’s still good to be mindful on NFD.

Glad you had a good first FD. Are you doing 2 fast days together? (B2B) I usually fast on Monday and Thursday unless there’s something going on one of those days. I’ve occasionally done a B2B to try to break a plateau or even 3 FD in a week when the scale won’t budge. But mostly it’s pretty dependable. B2B FDs can be difficult.

LJoyce, I don’t usually judge without trying, but the chocolate hummus sounds just plain weird. There are some things that just shouldn’t be mixed!
    I’ve found a lot of the Paleo recipes a little strange. That cookie recipe fits in that category. I think the paleo exercises are pretty effective. The food? Not so much.

Thin, I had to laugh at your suggestion of having a meal with your DD while she discussed the days events about reach up inside a pregnant cow. That could be a very effective way to restrain eating for weight loss and should be suggested to Dr. Mosely! 😝

After hearing some of you talking about the Mosely talks on SBS, I went to their website and found the episodes. I saw that you could sign up for a free streaming account and watch them on the computer or tablet. Yaay! I got an account, but every one I tried to watch said that due to licensing agreements, they weren’t available to watch outside of Australia. 😚 BTW, every time I see ABC I think of our American Broadcasting Network. 😁

Cinque, the next fad diet could ban legumes? Good! More for us! 😝

Ha! True!

PS I did enjoy looking through your link LJoyce.

Thanks for the link LJoyce. That exercise is very similar to the mindful eating exercise that is taught and encouraged in the program I’m following – except using a raisin. I also find it is interesting as a final step to notice the mouthful of food all the way into my stomach – it actually takes some time to get there! It helps me ‘notice’ how my stomach is feeling, ie if it is getting full. My serving sizes have certainly become smaller. I’ve been following the mindfulness program for about 6 weeks, and dropped 3 kg, which I’m happy with, but wanted to integrate a proactive diet plan as well.

Thanks for your welcome JustJulie and for your suggestion of the recipe forum. I’ll check it out.

Thanks Cinque for your welcome too. It was encouraging to hear about your weight loss, it is certainly encouraging for me to hear about your success.

Hi CalifDreamer. I thought I’d try the Monday and Thursday FD to start with, see how I go with that. It seems logical for me, as I often work those days so less time to think about food (and also saves having to prepare lunch!) I find I do have to be careful to drink enough as I get dehydrated easily.

Good morning all,

Well up early this morning. OH flight was delayed by an hour as it took them that long in the queue on the runway just to get off the ground in Hong Kong!! He did not get much sleep so now is resting for a few hours.

Veggie patch going great guns. I have two lettuces ready to pick, tomatoes are ripe, spinach is ready to pick along with Mizuna and two chocolate capsicums. Will be making heaps of salads this weekend with all the relatives arriving so it is good timing.
    My greek zucchini vine is now flowering, but the butternut pumpkin is not as yet. The watermelon and Japanese melon plants have germinated but only coming along very slowly. Strawberries are coming along great with a couple of ripe ones for us to taste. I have so many different varieties this time. Strasberry (cross with raspberry/strawberry) pineberry (which is a white strawberry that is popular in Japan) bubbleberry (which I have no idea what flavour it will be) and your normal variety of strawberry!

Weight today was 80.8 YAY I have got into the 80 zone which is so close to getting into the 79 zone which is so much better to see on the scale. It can only get better and I have my sights on 75 for the month of October.

I have just posted my soup recipe in the Soup forum.
    Smoked Chilli Velvet Soup – got a bit of mexican flavour to it and some spice to go with it. OH loves this one as well. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to try it.

catch up with everyone again later…..Julie

Welcome camcd. There are a few of us of your vintage here so you’re in good company. 30kgs is absolutely achievable so well done for making what could be the best decision of your life. We’re here to help! And sometimes hinder.

I had a lovely evening out with DD and we both enjoyed the Nepalese food. Unfortunately those momo things were nicer than I anticipated and were my undoing. A whopping 1.6kg increase from yesterday morning’s smug 60kg. Ridiculous, it’s like the scales were in on the punishment. A sentence on the menu read, ‘absolutely no takeaway food permitted’. This annoyed us both because there was too much food and what are they going to do with it if we can’t eat it – serve it to the next customers? Plus three sets of people came in to collect takeaway orders so they’re obviously equipped for it. DD put in a very good effort and I probably ate more than I otherwise would have because of it being a set menu deal including those momo appetisers. Too bad OH wasn’t with us because he’d have cleaned it up and I needn’t have been so greedy. The waiter was chuffed that DD was able to say that the meal was delicious in Nepalese.

Anyway, FD today and I’m hoping and expecting to be back below 61kg tomorrow. If not, I’ll be over my ‘trigger weight’ which means another FD. How I would cope with a forced B2B FD I am not sure, so please wish me luck!

JJulie, this must be the day for delayed flights as OH’s flight to Adelaide was delayed. He’s now looking through the airport windows reminding me how we much we loved the scenery when we were travelling through there 25 years ago and how, if our small crate of personal belongings hadn’t already been shipped to Fremantle, we’d have very likely settled instead in South Australia. I’m all nostalgic now remembering our precious dingo that we found in Victor Harbour.

P.S. DD passed her cow pregnancy testing exam. They had to be accurate within 4 weeks.

Thin,

Spent lots of time in Victor Harbour over the years. My dad’s school friend who was also his best man at his wedding to my mother was Alan Greer who also had a home in Victor which we would visit. Many trips over to granite island which I have fond memories of. I also have a good friend who went to Victor High school who is now living in Nagoya Japan,
    I love that area and I remember the Greek festival that was many years ago. Ihav enot lived in Adelaide now for over 30 years but travel back every now and then to visit relatives.

JJulie, several pages back I was relating the story of the dingo we found there, starving in the bushes where we were camping. She was terrified and we couldn’t get close but bought her some dog food and left it out at night. After three days, we started up the campervan to leave and she jumped right through the window, over my OH and onto the centre seat ready to travel! We had no home at that time but Victor (later Vicki when we realised she was a girl) became our faithful and much loved pet for 15 years.

Agree, it’s all very beautiful around there. Saw your pumpkin recipe thanks. That looks tasty.

Hi everyone else, losers, lifers and absentees.

Hi everyone. Had an unusually busy day today. Lunch in the city with ex work colleagues, food shopping at the Central Market and then a trip to the far southern suburbs to create a CV and covering letter for one of my great-nephews. (I seem to be the family guru when it comes to writing CVs.) This will be my great-nephew’s first shop based job. He’s 15 and still at school but is hoping for a part-time job in a bakery – baking is his passion so I hope he finds something. I have also promised him that once I’m done with the house reno and sold this house he can come over regularly for baking days – I love baking too.

I finally made it home at 6pm and have just finished a big bowl of roasted cauliflower-spinach salad smothered in kefir as a dressing.
    I have a similar busy day planned on Friday, so I’d better have a quieter one tomorrow.

JJ – They still have the Glendi festival every year in November – packed full of Greek food and culture.
    All those berry varieties sound fascinating – I’m wondering if the bubbleberry tastes like bubble gum.

Thin – Glad you had a nice Nepalese meal. I had a look at those dumplings online. I suspect they’d be something that I would rather like too. Don’t let the scales get you down, you know the number will fall in a day or two.
    I went to an Asian cafe for lunch and ordered sambal quid – squid, lots of veg, a VERY hot chilli sauce and white rice. I left the rice and ate the rest. A bit too hot for me but nice all the same. I deliberately kept this to a healthy meal choice as I’m going out for lunch on Friday too and I want to be able to get a bit carried away as I know I’ll want some high cal things from the menu. I’m still trying to limit my overindulgence meals to once a week max.

Cali – Every country has separate licensing for tv. I get the same access denial when I try to access BBC programs. You just need to see whether any US tv channels have shown these programs and you might be able to get online access through their website.
    I agree about the chocolate hommus, but then I’ve never understood the trend to add chocolate to everything. I adore cheesecake, but loathe chocolate cheesecake, to me these flavours just don’t go together.

Cinque – There was an Insight program on SBS recently that dealt with the problem of food fads – and how malnourished some people were becoming with the amount of exclusions they were applying. It’s not so much the idea of Paleo that bothers me, it’s the way people apply it. If they actually applied the core idea of how someone from an ancient culture would have lived they would probably have good health – fresh food, gown locally, seasonal, days of abundance and days of fasting, minimal preparation or processing, few natural sources of sugar, fresh water is the main source of fluid, very active lifestyle as you have to hunt and gather your own food, hunting gathering and eating were probably also communal events that strengthened family and tribal bonds. Unfortunately that’s not the message people take from it.

Must go and make a pot of tea, I’m 2 pots behind on my usual consumption, so I have some catching up to do.

LJoyce. Generally I am with you on the excessive adding of chocolate to things, but I make one exception in my own cooking – dark chocolate goes well in a chilli.

I have only eaten in one Nepalese restaurant. That was open air, cooking in a corrugated tin shack, food on tin plates, one dish, no choice , no menu but a good clue from the daily diminishing flock of goats behind the hut. It was good.

One of the other problems with picking up BBC programmes outside UK is that they have changed the satellite they use, so that in Europe I am entitled to watch but most hotels can’t get that channel.

Hello Everyone: Another “öld duck”here, 61 years young. Just joined this site with view to trying to bump of another 5 – 10 kgs.
    Oh and I am from South Australia.
    Good to hear how other people are managing this new way of eating.
    cheers.

Thin, that’s a great story about the dingo. It’s so cool that a wild animal would jump in your camper and be ready to spend its life with you. Animals know good people! We’re you able to keep her indoors? They look so much like domestic dogs, but I understand they have different personalities.

LJoyce, I thought I was the only one who didn’t like chocolate cheesecake. I agree, they really don’t go well together.

Penguin dark chocolate in chili sounds interesting. How much do you use?

Banshee, welcome to the 5:2 way of living!

Viewing 50 posts - 12,901 through 12,950 (of 28,016 total)

You must be logged in to reply.