Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,851 through 12,900 (of 28,011 total)

• Hi all,

Thin, we live about 20 minutes drive to the airport. It’s good because I am sometimes at the airport 4 times a week or so depending on where and when OH has to go for work.
    Usually we plant our veggie patch after ANZAC day due to the temperatures here, but this year I was really late and did not plant until mid July. Our temperatures stayed cold for a lot longer this year so it worked out well. We were having colder temperature right up until about last week. The cold snap was really good for the farmers up here and they are saying that it helped set the Mango flowers and they will have a bumper crop of mangoes this year.
    I have just finished making my tomato sauce and it smelt so good cooking my 18YO was asking when she could try it.
    Maybe tomorrow I will make corn relish.
    GDSA, As far as I know about the solar, at this time we are purchasing only for use not battery storage. The batteries are so expensive now, but the set up will allow for batteries to be added at a later stage. We will get the most out of the solar by doing things during the daylight. So I should do the washing of clothes, run the aircons, do cooking etc during the day when the house would need it the most, then at night we will be using from the grid. Any extra electricity we make during the day that we do not use will go back to the grid but at this time we will only get 10 cents back, not the 48 cents that was around years ago. Really what it means is that we will not be paying from the grid while we are using our daytime solar.
    In effect we should be saving more than half of our normal electricity bills.
    Hope you can understand that explanation?

Golden Paste recipe – I didn’t forget!!

This recipe may be used for humans as well as animals. I use EVOO as the oil and generally halve the recipe. I have a 1/2 tsp 2-3 times a day or when I think about it. The inflammation in my hands goes away after 3-4 days. If I stop it returns. Also good for cancer prevention. The link has lots of good info on it too. Dr Doug English is an Aussie based in good old Qld (my home state) Oh, and buy your turmeric from a good supplier or health food shop, to avoid any additives. Good luck. CM xx

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (125 mls/60gms) organic turmeric powder
    1 cup water (250 mls) PLUS 1 cup water in reserve, if needed
    1/3 cup (70 mls) one of the following oils: Raw (unrefined) Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, Linseed (flaxseed) oil or Virgin/Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2-3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Bring the turmeric and water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until you have a thick paste. This should take about 7-10 minutes and you may need to add additional water along the way.

Add the freshly ground pepper and oil at the end of cooking, when the turmeric and water mixture has cooled down to just warm. Stir well to incorporate the oil and allow to cool.

Omit pepper if you cannot tolerate it. The absorption of turmeric will still be improved by cooking the paste AND by the inclusion of oil, BUT remember it will be less effective without the pepper.

The Golden Paste will keep for 2 weeks, refrigerated or freeze a portion if you think you have too much to use within two weeks.

Use for Golden Milk, Smoothies, stir into Yogurt, add to your dinner plate as a condiment… AND don’t forget your pet’s dinner plate or your horse feed … run wild!

Just a question for all…..
    Do you still eat the slendier rice/spagetti/noodles or konyaku?
    I do as I love konyaku and often add to my soups on FD to bulk them up without the calories.

Golden Paste recipe – see, I didn’t forget!!

This recipe may be used for humans as well as animals. I use EVOO as the oil and generally halve the recipe. I have a 1/2 tsp 2-3 times a day or when I think about it. The inflammation in my hands goes away after 3-4 days. If I stop it returns. Also good for cancer prevention. The link has lots of good info on it too. Dr Doug English is an Aussie based in good old Qld (my home state) Oh, and buy your turmeric from a good supplier or health food shop, to avoid any additives. Good luck. CM xx

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (125 mls/60gms) organic turmeric powder
    1 cup water (250 mls) PLUS 1 cup water in reserve, if needed
    1/3 cup (70 mls) one of the following oils: Raw (unrefined) Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, Linseed (flaxseed) oil or Virgin/Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2-3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Bring the turmeric and water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until you have a thick paste. This should take about 7-10 minutes and you may need to add additional water along the way.

Add the freshly ground pepper and oil at the end of cooking, when the turmeric and water mixture has cooled down to just warm. Stir well to incorporate the oil and allow to cool.

Omit pepper if you cannot tolerate it. The absorption of turmeric will still be improved by cooking the paste AND by the inclusion of oil, BUT remember it will be less effective without the pepper.

The Golden Paste will keep for 2 weeks, refrigerated or freeze a portion if you think you have too much to use within two weeks.

Use for Golden Milk, Smoothies, stir into Yogurt, add to your dinner plate as a condiment… AND don’t forget your pet’s dinner plate or your horse feed … run wild!

JJ – I still enjoy my Slendier/Konjak noodles and really enjoy them.

I’m one who didn’t believe in all the carb stuff being bad for weight loss. But I was wrong. Even now if I have rice, pasta or pizza for dinner you can guarantee a 1kg rise on the scales. I still enjoy my sourdough toast each morning, but that’s it. No more carb til a the next day. So the Slendier allows me to enjoy the feeling of noodles or pasta without the weight gain. Gotta love that.

JJ – I just had a veggie & konjac stirfry for dinner!
    I have looked for konyaku in a block, but haven’t been able to find it. I mostly buy Changs “Low Cal Wok Ready Noodles” – only Coles seem to stock these (they’re shelved with the other noodles, not with the gluten free products like Slendier is). Although the label doesn’t mention konjac, when you read the ingredients it’s clear that’s what they are made from. I prefer this brand as it’s about half the price of Slendier. These have the same v. low calorie profile as Slendier.

LJ, thanks for the tip on the low-cal Changs, hadn’t seen them. 👍 I remember a couple of years ago when we were investigating the konyaku stuff the blocks were commonly called “pond scum” cos it had seaweed(?) I think mixed in. Looked disgusting, but tasted fine. I just think the stuff is magic.

JJ, just saw your earlier post. Don’t just dream about achieving those goals. It is sooo possible. Believe in yourself. There’s plenty of proof out there & trust me, if I can do it anyone can. xx

LJoyce, I love Konjac or as I call it Konyaku which is the Japanese word for it.
    I usually buy it in Asian food shops. I love the tied ribbon variety which is similar to the slendier angel hair but tied in a knot. I also buy the variety that is just like the angel hair and is not knotted. The block variety is usually in the fridge at the Asian grocery shops. Look for an asian grocery shop that sells Japanese foods and you might find it.
    I recently made a soup that I call wild mushroom soup and added the angel hair slendier to it to give it some extra body and it was delicious and not many calories at all and very filling.
    I have been making soups for my FDs and I saw the forum that is for recipes so I will try to post some of them there.
    Because I have gone vegetarian I am not using chicken stock only veggie stock but I really can not tell the difference in the flavours.

LJoyce also thanks for the heads up with Changs super lo cal wok ready noodles. Had not seen these before and just googled them to see the ingredients. I will go looking for them as I am hoping they are cheaper than the slendier ones.

Is anyone having issues with delayed posted & posts no appearing? I thought I lost my earlier post and retyped it. Then it appearded!

LJoyce, the election’s tomorrow so no more electioneering. Will be a very interesting election. I don’t really watch a lot of news, so I’ve managed to only deal with it in small doses. I’m rooting for the opposition, I never voted for the current party in power, and don’t understand why they’re so popular. No one voted for our current PM anyway, we got him by default when that other guy resigned.

Charliesmum, thanks for the turmeric paste recipe, looks very interesting. I’ve been making a few turmeric lattes in my milk frother, come out well, taste quite good actually. I have this turmeric blended powder Turmerix which is quite good. I make it up with vanilla flavoured almond milk. I’m not one of these people who worships almond milk and won’t drink anything else, I drink cows milk too, but the vanilla almond milk just seems to make the latte taste so much better. I don’t even really like the almond milk by itself, but together it’s really something special.

Also I eat bread, and also on fast days. I like a piece under my solo fast day egg. I figure I can spare the calories. It’s only about 150 for my egg plus bread for lunch, and then maybe 250 for my dinner, leaving 100 for a small snack late afternoon. Works for me. That’s the beauty of 5:2, there are so many different ways to do it, and most of them work.

Signing off, it’s 10pm here (NZST), Sunday night it’ll be 11pm (NZDST) and it’s been a long week. Stay well.

Jody

CM – yes I’ve noticed the same thing the last 2-3 days.

For anyone else looking for the Changs Konjac noodles, this is what they look like: http://www.changs.com/products/details/Noodles/Chang-s-Super-Lo-Cal-Wok-Ready-Noodles/ Every Coles that I’ve been into puts them on the very top shelf next to other Changs noodle product. Although I’ve looked, I’ve never found them in any other supermarket, everyone else seems to stock only Slendier. They seem to be a product that’s frequently put on sale – I can usually pick them up for about $1.80

The website link above also has recipes for the konjac noodles if anyone wants more ideas.

LJoyce,
    $1.80 is a good price. Up here Both woolworths and coles sell the slendier ones but woolworths seems to be the dearest.

JJ – I find the Slendier noodles are $4.20-$4.50 depending on the shape of the noodle. Changs are usually $2.80 but they have regular discounts that usually takes the price under $2. I usually buy half a dozen packets when they are on sale and that lasts me until the next sale. It’s one of those products that I always check as I’m walking past and will buy when it’s cheap – because I know they have a long shelf life and I use about a packet a week. I do occasionally buy the Slendier rice, but not very often.

If you can find them at a reasonable price I’d also recommend kelp noodles. The ones that I’ve found have an ultra low calorie profile like konjac. I have only bought them once because they were really expensive in the local Organic store. I thought the texture and flavour was better than konjac – they had more of an aldente bite to them and were a really good choice for an asian noodle salad. However I’d need to find a cheaper source to use them regularly.

The idea was that this would be an alcohol free month. Make that 5 alcohol free days. Herself, normally a none drinker thought, today being Friday ,that she would have a gin. Purely in a spirit of companionship I thought a whiskey would be in order. Mistake. I am good at total commitment but don’t do moderation at all well. The interesting thing is that after five days I wasn’t really sure that i wanted it and I didn’t particularly enjoy it. Which didn’t stop me having more than one. I have been feeling quite lively this last week and getting more done. Weight has been very easy to control. So back on the wagon tomorrow.

Konjac and Shirataki noodles are basically the same? I think some of our supermarkets have them, but I have really looked lately. Amazon has a few different brands. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BTMDALO?th=1

I tried them some years ago and wasnthat crazy about them, but maybe I should try them again.

Penguin, alcohol drinks do seem to have the problem of one leading to another. Sometimes it seems worth it to help relax, but usually it leads to too many calories and feeling blah the next day.

For the bird watchers. 30 years ago the Red Kite was almost extinct in UK, being confined to a small area in the Welsh Mountains. Today I saw one in the Wye Valley, down the hill from where I live. Some of our birds are making a comeback. Last year I saw a sea eagle on Mull.

Happy Saturday morning all.

JustJulie thanks for the solar info. I understand now – you are getting the Net feed in tariff option rather than the Gross one. You wont regret your investment. batteries are very exoensive but will come down in price eventually just like panels did.

I use Kakubaku Organic Soba noodles which are made with buckwheat flour.

My weight plateau of the last few weeks is on the move again and scales are showing a downward trend again – yay.

Oh Penguin it is hard to stop at just one isn’t it. Hence why I dont have ‘just the one’ anymore. My scales do not like alcoholat all !!

I can’t help myself I just gotta say it – Go the Mighty Crows !! What a stella performance last night – Grand Final here we go. For those outside of Oz it’s the Australian Football League finals weeks at the moment. My team the Adelaide Crows have fairly well dominated the season, being top of the ladder for most of the year. Last night they thumped the Geelong Cats (MissD’s team – haha MissD) to play in next Saturday’s Grand Final.

Eep more posts than I can cope with!
    Hello to everyone!

Welcome Lindsay,
    My suggestion re (evil devil) scales being nasty, is to concentrate on the other things. Remember 5:2 is about long term health, not short term weight loss, so what the scales say in week 3 is irrelevant. Try on a piece of clothing and see how comfortable it feels, put the tape measure around your waist.
    And just keep on making Fast Days work well in your life, and Non Fast Days be sensible, delicious, healthy food days.

LJoyce, sad the bill isn’t a mistake. I thought of it as I just got a water bill more than 10 times my usual amount, but (after several stressed emails) discovered they had accidentally read my upstairs neighbours’ meter.

JJulie, the Friday weigh in is a nice idea, but sorry I can’t join in as I am not a weigher! Happy to cheer on and commiserate with the rest of you though!
    Friday, or any day!

When I was introduced to muesli it was a mixture of cereal (mainly oats) with dried fruit and nuts and seeds mixed in, to eat as a cereal. Then I met Bircher muesli which was oats, grated apple and yoghurt mixed and left til the oats were soft.
    I loved making both these things. When I heard about granola (Neil Diamond 😉 ) is seemed like particularly crunchy muesli, but every recipe I have seen basically makes toffee oats for the base and I never wanted my muesli that sweet!
    Anyway my ‘no sugar’ (including apples) has meant muesli went out of my diet.
    However my daughter was saying how much she would like some home-made muesli so yesterday I bought all the things to make her some. So nostalgic! And then I got home and found it discussed on this thread! Synchronicity!

I’ll toast and cool oats, and then add bran sticks, chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, sultanas, chopped dried apple and chopped dried nectarine. (Ingredients ordered from most to least!).

Day before fast day for me, and I seem to be having a morning without hayfever, so I will make the most of it!

Best wishes all, cheers for your footy team! Watching NZ and German elections! It is all happening.

Good morning SHs,
    I woke at 5:45 and couldn’t get back to sleep. So it’s an early start for me today – unless the weather is freezing, there’s only so long I can stand lying in bed.

Cali – yes konjac and shirataki are the same thing – they are just labelled differently in different countries. Just check the label, they should all be made from konjac or konnyaku (same thing, just spelled differently in different countries). I think it’s a type of yam – I know the corm is the part that’s used to make noodles. I think the low calorie count is due to the very high fibre content.

GDSA – I like soba noodles too, but not on FDs. The konjac noodles only have about 10 calories per serve, so they fit better into my FD meals.

Cinque – My favourite muesli is bircher. I always soak the rolled grains overnight in a mixture of kefir & almond milk and then add grated apple and a few nuts or seeds just before eating. I usually add cinnamon too as I love the flavour and I sometimes sprinkle some bran over the top. I find it filling and considering the carb content, it was a pleasant surprise that it doesn’t trigger cravings. It might be a different outcome if I added lots of dried fruit.
    I hadn’t realised you’d given up fresh fruit along with added sugar. I don’t thin I could manage that, I’ve focused on fresh fruit being my main source of sweetness, although I usually only have one piece per day.

FD went well yesterday, but I made so much stir fry that I have enough for another FD. I think I might need to do this by Monday as I don’t want it sitting in the fridge too long.

Penguin – I understand your issue with moderation, I always seemed to have either total control or none at all, although I am improving a bit.

I have an appointment with the dietitian this morning, hopefully I learn something new and useful.

Welcome Lindsay, wrt your fluctuating weight after a few weeks on 5:2, my advice is to read Dr M.’s ‘Eat, Fast, Live Longer’ book before you do anything else. If you haven’t already. This gives you the scientific foundation for fasting in easy to read language that can be digested in a couple of days and referred to frequently.

Then, try to master the FDs before making any other changes. I agree with the advice already given above (the need to ultimately learn to eat within the TDEE of your new weight and so on) but I wouldn’t attempt too many changes all at once (such as attempting three FDs a week) because I feel this is just setting yourself up for failure. There is already a tendency to over-compensate how much and what we eat the day before or after a FD – more so if every other day is a FD. This will pass. Once in a routine of twice weekly fasting, you will find that your portion sizes and food choices on NFDs become shaped naturally without your making any conscious decisions. If you make no other changes, you will lose weight.

I joined this thread over three years ago. In that time, I have seen a lot of people come and go – and come again! I read that people find the weight loss slow. Those of us who’ve made it work recognise that it’s a life-long commitment, not a diet, so it doesn’t matter how long it takes as long as you see a downward trend and then are able to maintain your goal weight. There may be some fluctuations and plateaus along the way. We don’t know your age, weight or how much weight you hope to lose – if you can add a profile, that would be helpful.

If you fast twice a week, you will lose weight regardless of your activity level. There are several people contributing here who live a sedentary life due to chronic medical issues and who have lost significant amounts of weight and are now maintaining that loss.

Once you’re in a firm routine of two fasting days (what I like to call ‘naked 5:2’), you can begin to make other healthy changes to your diet. You will learn a lot on these pages but everyone is different so not everything will apply to you. This is why I recommend reading ‘the book’ before you do anything as it will equip you to filter what you read here and help you keep in mind that fasting offers many health benefits, weight-loss being just one of its side-effects – but the one we all latch onto.

Keep posting. You will find a lot of support here. Good luck.

LJ, thanks for the muesli photo, beautiful indeed. Mine doesn’t look quite like that.

It was JJulie who first introduced us to konyaku noodles when we were all raving about Slendier, thereby saving us a bundle. Since then, I only buy the Slendier Angel Hair for my Spanish Fideos recipe because I can’t cut the block konyaku thin enough to replicate them. I will investigate the Chang’s range because I noted the packet contained 200gms which means it’s a single portion whereas Slendier’s only comes in packets serving two. I hope Chang’s do the Angel Hair variety.

CM, I tried the pond scum but I prefer the ribbons or the white block variety. It lasts for ages in the fridge. I enjoyed our coffee, lovely setting and great to see you looking so well and healthy. Very happy to have you back here.

Penguin, good luck being back on the wagon. I’m an all or nothing person too. The trouble with alcohol, by its very nature, is that it causes us to relax and lose our inhibitions. And throw reason out the window. So, this can affect what we nibble on while we’re imbibing and whether it might be sensible to have another. I don’t feel it’s possible to embark on this WOL while ignoring the effects of alcohol and considering whether it’s worth the calories. For me, it’s not.

Willy Wagtail brought a mate home last night. So I hope we’re back to having two perched on my hammock every night. They’re so cute in pairs.

Nice surprise today, 70.9 kg, the lowest I’ve been in years. BMI of 30.4, nearly at my “overweight” goal. I really wasn’t expecting it, I had fish and chips this week, bought too many actually and spread it over three nights. Must’ve compensated somehow I guess, I think my fast days were extra fasty.

Last weekend I was pretty sick, because I was working, without thinking I just ate noodles. I’m thinking I accidentally “overdosed” on msg, it was packet noodles for lunch and then half a large takeaway bowl of noodles for dinner. I ended up so sleepy at work that night (24 hours on call) and headachy, the next afternoon I was ill and had to go home from work. So I’m kind of glad my weight loss still progressed, I was getting a bit tired of that plateau. I won’t do that many noodles again, it was just I didn’t really have time to look after myself.

Jody

Hi Everyone
    Cinque,there are so many posts that I’m now having them emailed to me. I check my phone more often and read the emails a few times a day.
    Lovely to have a “surprise” weight Jody 😀
    We had a lovely evening at my son’s last night for dinner. My 5 month old granddaughter is just gorgeous and we loved watching her enjoy her bathtime 😀
    I didn’t drink and wine as my Dinlaw is breastfeeding and doesn’t drink and there was no dessert – thankyou!
    Tonight will be a different story as we are going to friends for their joint birthday dinner. I will try not to eat beforehand and I’m taking a bottle of sparkling water so I drink less wine. I will have to have a glass with my friend.
    Beautiful day here today so after going into town to buy a couple of birthday presents I will mow the front lawn – good and productive exercise.
    Have a great day! Xx

Ahoy there!

Just came across this online article and would like your opinion. I found it utter rubbish to say the least. Full of contradictions and one-sided.

http://www.sciencealert.com/8-myths-about-sugar-you-need-to-stop-believing

Copy paste into your browser.

How nice to get all this welcome and so much information.
    thinatlast – thanks for taking the time to write at such length….it’s great advice. I do tend to rush into things, but I can see this program could be a way of life, after failing just about every other diet (actually I’m not bad at dieting – it’s keeping it off that’s the problem).
    Cinque although I am really focussed on weight at the moment, after hitting an all-time high, I will try to also focus on the other things (I had a dress made on my holiday in August and it’s just a bit too squeezy. It can be my ‘test’ dress and hopefully I’ll be in it for Christmas Day).
    I weighed this morning and was down .1 of a kilo. OK it’s not much, particularly after doing 4:3, but I am determined to lose something (anything!) each week.

Some really good posts today for Lindsay.

Lindsay I’ve been here since Feb and am still tweaking and adjusting to find my stride. This is a lifesyle change journey not a quick weight loss fix. Scales are helpful but can also be misleading at times. Take monthly waist measurements and would you believe neck measurements which is also a good indication of weight loss. Although not for everyone I use a fitbit watch and scales to track food and fluid intake and exercise. The data i get from that is a real motivator for me as I can see every element of how far I’ve come in such a short time.

MissD is at a birthday party so im off to do the food shopping. Another good indicator of the lifestyle change I’ve made – shopping trolly is full of fresh produce and full fat dairy products rather than processed and low fat foods.

Thin – I also find the size of the Changs packet is perfect for one serve – it’s a little bit more than half a slendier packet. I always found half a Slendier packet was a but skimpy but the Changs is just right. They only come in one style and it’s not as fine as angel hair, but it is a fairly thin round profile noodle so it might work for your fideos recipe.

Jody – congrats on the “lowest for quite a while” weight. Funny how much better “overweight” sounds than “obese – it’s a demarcation line for me too.

I spent the morning in the town, shopping, seeing the dietitian and having breakfast. Yes you heard right, I actually went to a cafe and ordered a cooked breakfast this morning (eggs, smoked salmon and spinach). Not something I can normally face in the a.m. – must have something to do with being up so early.
    I’ll post separately about the dietitian appointment.

As I mentioned I had an appointment with the dietitian this morning.
    When I described the “food zen” exercise I was doing she laughed because she actually had a similar exercise for me to start. She gave me the instructions and we discussed the exercise and the differences to what I’ve been doing.
    I’m posting the activity verbatim below, for anyone who wants to try it:

MINDFUL EATING ACTIVITY
    The following exercise is designed to have you consciously use all 5 senses when eating high sacrifice foods to allow you to practice savouring food and recognising an appropriate portion size. This exercise is most effective if done before a meal or at a time your mind wanders to high sacrifice foods.
    Q1 What time of the day do you most crave high sacrifice foods?_____
    Q2 Choose a high sacrifice food_____
    Q3 Think honestly about the quantity you would usually WANT to eat to feel satisfied_____
    Q4 Write down how long it usually takes you to eat this quantity/type of food_____
    Q5 Write down the emotion you often feel after eating this quantity/type of food_____

Strategy:
    This exercise takes about 5 minutes. Please follow all verbal instructions, do not chew or swallow before being instructed to do so.
    1) Place the desired quantity (per Q3) of high sacrifice food in front of you.
    2) Look at the food – take in its shape, texture, edges, size, colour, how does it feel when you touch it?
    3) Smell – sweet/savoury, tangy, strong/weak, qualities, what effect does this have on you?
    4) Take a small bite – let it sit on your tongue, do not chew. Consider crumbs, flavour developing.
    5) Start to chew slowly – consider taste, how flavours are released, different flavours? Listen to the sound of chewing, is it a nice sound?
    6) Now finish chewing, do not swallow yet, last few chews – savour the flavour, enjoy the taste.
    7) Think about 2 phases of swallowing – sensation and muscle groups involved – consider what happens after you swallow.
    8) Continue to eat until you feel satisfied that you have eaten enough.

Questions to Consider:
    1) What was the savouring experience like – how did you feel, what were you thinking?
    2) What thoughts about food came to mind? Did you enjoy your food?
    3) Was there anything different about eating this food?

The activity comes from a book by Dr G Blair-West called “Weight Loss for Food Lovers” (2008)

The main differences with what I’ve been doing so far:
    – I haven’t focused on treat foods but on a broad range of snacks. I’ve used fruits, cheese, bread, chocolate and hot drinks. The above activity is focused specifically on high calorie treat foods.
    – So for me it’s been about the general experience of eating and appreciating foods, and learning to take my time with the eating process, not specifically on learning to trust myself with high calorie foods – which is a key purpose of this exercise.
    – I start the activity with a small portion of food and find at the end of the activity that it’s always enough. With the above activity you start with the amount you think you want (not the amount you rationally think you should eat). So if you think “I could eat that whole block of chocolate”, then that’s what you put in front of yourself. The idea is, hopefully, that buy taking your time and focusing on the whole process of eating slowly that your stopping point will be much sooner than you thought. The dietitian said that you may find that with some foods you will find you always eat the whole of what’s in front of you – these are then foods that you know you need to always portion very carefully. The hope is that with most things you can develop a fairly tight stopping point and that you actually trust yourself to enjoy the food but stop with a small portion that is satisfying. Eventually your answer Q3 will also be a smaller quantity.

The dietitian said that the reason they focus particularly on high sacrifice (or high cal, high sugar, high fat etc) foods, is because people find it fairly easy to sit down and eat a healthy meal as a sedate paste, but high cal foods are often eaten very quickly, often standing up, with almost no time taken to even taste the food – as if you are trying to make disappear fast. Which is why we want the second slice of cake or another biscuit, because we didn’t take time to appreciate the first slowly. If you are going to make the occasional sacrifice of including a high calorie treat food then you need to learn to make it count. And it also needs to become a good experience not one laced with guilt or negative feelings.

In conjunction with increasing trust, the process also aims to reduce your fear of certain foods. This is a necessary skill to learn, because continual denial tends to lead to bingeing on the banned food. At least it does with the people my dietitian is working with – those with a binge eating disorder. Essentially its a tool to more away from an “all or nothing” approach and learn moderation, control and trust.

Good afternoon,
    I have been busy this morning so have now sat down to have my soup for lunch.
    First, I took 18YO to the shops so she could make an appointment for some help with her acne. It has just blown out of control for some reason.
    Then we went to Coles.
    Came home and made Corn Relish(I wont eat this at the moment but OH loves it) and Broccoli, Cauliflower and Leek soup at only 47 calories a serve.

LJoyce, I found the Changs noodles this morning while in Coles. They had them on special for $1.90 and only 3 packets left. I would have bought more if they had them. The serving size and price is much better than the slendier ones and they are just like the angel hair variety which I can do so much with.

Thin, buy the Changs noodles as they are just like the angel hair and so much cheaper.

Clinque,Sorry but I think you must have mistaken me for someone else as I dont remember talking about Friday weigh in.

I have been reading the posts about muesli with a bit of interest. Personally I dont usually like muesli at all, but I went to a great cafe for breakfast last year while in Bundaberg that sold the most wonderful plain yoghurt with fruit and bircher. I have not been able to find anything quite like it again.

Not going to talk about weight today. There is nothing to talk about!!

catch up again soon and hope everyone has a great day no matter what you do!

Just had a late lunch – 1/2 punnet of strawberries and a pot of tea – it was all I needed after a big breakfast.

The strawberries were lovely – good texture and sweet fragrant flavour. I’ve had such disappointing strawberries all winter, so these are a pleasant surprise.
    Thin – please thank your compatriots for me – these we W.A. strawberries 😀

Good morning everyone,

I have finally found a spot to put my scales and leave them there and not have to more them to weigh myself and they were kind to me this morning as well. Down 82.5 which means I have lost 4.4kg this month and in total. I really need to keep focused on this way of life (and way of eating) I am going to Japan in november so wanted to loose that excess I put on before I left. I have a few friends in Japan and they are helping me prepare for the trip too. My friend in Hiroshima has given me a list of vegetarian restaurants near my hotel, and another friend who now lives back in the US has given me the name of a great vegetarian restaurant in Himeji. The Japanese have only just recently taken on the vegetarian concept, but a few years ago you would never find any vegetarian or halal restaurants there. I know of a few restaurants in Osaka, Kyoto and Nara, so if I keep to the vegetarian foods I know I can keep my weight under control while I am away.

Sorry hit the wrong button and it posted!

Yesterday I gave myself a little treat for dinner and had carrot and celery sticks with hommus. The hommus had quite a lot of calories in it, but still did not take me over my daily amount. But it was really good to eat!!!

Does anyone know of a good hommus with fewer calories than the normal bought ones?

Yesterday’s soup was delicious, but the quantity I made would have served 8 people. I will have some again for lunch today then freeze the remainder for later in the week.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday and take care, eat well and be happy!!

Good morning!
    Apologies JJulie and whoever actually said about the Friday weighing, maybe Charliesmum?

Cheers to your little wagtail pair Thin!

Lindsay, let’s hope your dress is no longer squeezy for Christmas day!
    We had a hot day yesterday and I peeped at the summer dresses I have in the spareroom wardrobe and wondered how many of them will be squeezy. (I’m an avid opshopper so quite a few of them were found in the last months and haven’t been worn yet).

JJulie It will be lovely losing weight ready for your Japan trip! What fun you will have. I have never been there but my daughter and SIL went there for their honeymoon, and again for a holiday. When they talk of traveling again… it is back to Japan!
    I still have a vegetarian recipe book I bought 30 years ago, written by an English woman who worked in Japan in the eighties, I think. She said it wasn’t until she got to know women and ate with them in their homes that she found there were wonderful vegetarian foods. I love this book, no colour photos but really nice explanations and recipes. And very 5:2 friendly!

LJoyce, thanks for writing out the mindfulness activity. I do my own kind of play with it, as you know, but I really appreciate seeing the steps written out and the concept discussed.

I made the muesli yesterday and then ate a small bowlful last night. Maybe a bad mistake but my fast day today should reset me.
    I can manage small amounts of the less sweet fruits (berries) but the rest has the same effect on me as foods with sugar. I not only get the sugar munchies, I get that poisoned hangover feeling, often for days. It maybe something to do with my chronic illness me/cfs, or some other idiosyncratic thing. I miss fruit dreadfully and I really enjoyed my bit of dried fruit yesterday, and no bad reaction today. Hooray.

Gday, II completely agree! Coming home from shopping with beautiful fresh food in my shopping bags is one of my very favourite things!

Stay, loved to hear about the little 5 month old, isn’t that a gorgeous age! I hope you survived last night’s dinner okay!

I forgot to buy more chicken for my Fast Day miso soup, and forgot to plan how I would have it as I am babysitting my grandkids at their place 6 -9pm. I had better get organised!

Best wishes to everyone!

To continue JustJulie’s Japanese theme, I have just got home from watching the Russian State Opera perform Madame Butterfly. We have quite a small theatre by big city standards and I am not convinced we saw all of their first team, but the four main players were good. Butterfly was probably the best I have seen in the role. There were grown men in the audience in tears.

Ooh posted and then find Penguin had been here (what a great night out) and JJ asking about hummus.
    I make my own and it is so very easy! Unless the brand had extras in it, the calories probably come from the tahini and olive oil in it, two oily things.
    Making your own you can limit that, with just enough tahini, and/or oil, to emulsify with the bit of added water to make the consistency you like. Otherwise it is just chickpeas, garlic and lemon (with a pinch of salt).

Yum, making me hungry for it!

It might be a long fast day….

😉

Good morning SHs, after some lovely sunny Spring days we now have a few cold wet days in Adelaide.

JJ – Like Cinque, I also make my own hommus. The commercial ones have a high fat content and some also have added sugar and preservatives. In summer I have a container of homemade hummus in the fridge most of the time for easy healthy snacks.
    You can create the hummus in a blender, food processor or even with a stick blender and a plastic jug. (I don’t personally like using a traditional blender as I have trouble scraping all the hommus out.)
    My recipe is similar to Cinque’s. You need 1/2 tin of drained chickpeas (keep the water), 1-2 garlic cloves, a lemon, 1 tsp cumin, salt to taste and up to 1tsp sesame oil. A whole tin of chickpeas will make a huge batch of hommus so I would just use half the tin (the rest of the chickpeas can be frozen in a ziploc bag for the next batch of hommus). Start with 1/2 tin chickpeas, the garlic, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 1/2 tsp cumin. Then puree – if it’s too thick to process easily add a little water (preferably the water from the tin). Then taste and add more lemon, cumin, salt and sesame oil, until you get a flavour and texture that you like. The reason I add the sesame oil is because it gives the sesame flavour that would normally come from tahini but with far fewer calories as you are using such a small amount. It’s a flavour-calorie compromise.
    This hommus will keep in a sealed contained in the fridge for a week – if it lasts that long. It’s a really healthy snack with raw veg regardless of whether its a FD or a NFD.

Penguin – glad you enjoyed your night out. It’s the drawback of living away from the big cities – access to arts and culture can be a bit difficult, I’m glad a good performance came to your theatre.

Cinque enjoy your babysitting. I’m fasting today too, but I have a day at home.
    I have some veg & konjac stirfry left from Friday and I think I’ll make a pot of lemon-butternut soup. Usually by the end of October I don’t feel much like hot soup, so this probably the last pot for the year as I still have a few containers of other soups in the freezer to get through.

After Cinque describing how much the sugar in fruit affects her I realised how lucky I am that I don’t get that reaction. As long as I stick to whole foods I seem to get away with the naturally occurring sugars in them without cravings being triggered. I can even add the occasional teaspoon of stevia/sugar/honey to something and get away with it. I was wondering how often I did this and went back and looked over my food records – it’s about 2 tsp added per week and usually stevia. Although last week my 1 square of dark chocolate most evenings added 2g sugar per day as well. However this is not counting the occasional desserts that I have away from home that are laden with sugar – I really do get cravings and a sugar hangover from them. I looked back over my food diary for those as well and realised that this is now happening 1-2 times per month, which is a significant improvement for me. What I’m also pleased about is that even though occasionally indulging in these foods will spur my appetite I have more ability to say no to it now – probably because I’m not having to deal with it constantly anymore.

Minka, I bought a small bag of coconut flour yesterday to try your bread recipe. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the powdered psyllium powder in either supermarket (no Coles here). I’ll have to wait until I can get to either Bridgewater or Blackwood where they have Coles. I might try putting some psyllium husks into my mini food processor and see if it turns it into powder.

Hope you all have a lovely Sunday.

Minka, I just did a bit of an experiment with trying to convert psyllium husks into a fine powder. I tried the blender the food processor (large and small bowl) and the spice grinder. Most of my gadgets just turned large psyllium flakes into smaller flakes, but the spice grinder worked. I had to do really small batches because it has a tiny capacity and I did it in 3 x 15 second grinds, with a good shake of the grinder in between. What I ended up with looks and feels like powder – it’s the colour of white pepper. It’s amazing how much the volume changed – the powder is about half of the original volume of psyllium husks. It makes you realise how wrong a cup measurement could be in a recipe if you used husks instead of powder.
    I might try that coconut loaf tomorrow if I’m in a baking mood.

A late FD entry for me. Joining Cinque and LJ. Embarking on a Madame Flavour choc mint tea treat. Only 2kj per bag and I make three cups out of one bag! (Apologies to the tea leaf ceremony drinkers, I’m afraid I’m not too proud to stick a bag in a mug).

Thanks JJulie & LJ, I will go for the Changs non-Angel Hair. Good job to the week’s losers of which there are several. CM, I’ll join your weigh-in at 60.2kg. Would like to get back below 60kg before OH comes home as it’s our anniversary this week and I’m sure there’ll be a restaurant meal coming up.

I made another batch of cauliflower soup yesterday; unlike you LJ, I’m happy to have that year round. I bought a whopping Chinese cabbage and will make some more miso tonight, Shiitake mushrooms soaking now and a fresh piece of ginger ready to grate. Yum.

I was just reminded of how powerful our food memories are.
    I’m watching Landline and saw someone grilling steak. I swear I could smell BBQ beef, and as far as I’m aware my TV doesn’t have smell-a-vision.

I bought some lovely Japanese shimeji mushrooms (i love these the most!!) and decided not to make another wild mushroom soup for dinner. Instead I am going to adapt a Japanese Nabe recipe into a vegetarian one and have that. Nabe is a type of hotpot or stew in Japan and usually has konyakku (the block one cut into thin slices), cabbage, shallots, tofu, carrot, daikon, and various mushrooms (shitake, enoki, shimeji and black fungi) I love the black fungi too!! the vegetables are seasonal so you can also add bok choy, mizuna, or other green vegies. The meat is usually chicken either bite size pieces of thigh meat or mince chicken with chives, mirin, soy and an egg to bind and then make into little balls called tsukune. The liquid base can be made from soy or dashi, but I love the miso base when I make it.
    I am just going to leave out the chicken meat, use one of the new Chang’s noodle packets for the konyaku and add about 150g of tofu at the last minute to heat up. The tofu I have is lower in calories them the one I usually use for Nabe, but it is a softer texture and may break up if I add it too early.
    I will work out the calories as I make it.

LJoyce, I am going to try your recipe for hommus, it sounds easier and less calories than the recipe I found on the internet which added olive oil and tahini to it. Thank you so much for posting it.

Well catch up with everyone tomorrow morning, Monday is fast day for me!!

Happy fasting…..

Forgot to tell you…

I found Coles Beetroot dip is only 91 calories for 100g which is half a container. This sounds like it would go well with carrot and celery sticks too.

Hi Thin,

Love the Madame Flavour Choc Mint treat! Is my favourite!

LJ, I’m glad you had success turning the psyllium flakes into powder! I don’t have a spice grinder and find that the ‘Coles Simply Psyllium Powder’ found in the health food section of our local Coles, works a treat and saves me a lot of hassle, and a bag goes a long way. I’m so glad you went through the effort to turn the husks into powder, LJ, since I formerly tried a recipe that used husks and the bread was so gluggy, lumpy and baked inconsistently; a real disappointment. Some bites the texture was slim/grainy and kind of reminded me of Metamucil bread! 🙂

I’m fasting again today, so I think I’m joining you Thin and Cinque and maybe some others. Am so tired, only briefly skimmed thread. Apologies if I missed anyone else.

My FD eating has followed a very unusual pattern today. I had the left over veggie stirfy for lunch and will blitz up the cooked butternut soon, add the lemon and have a cup of that. I felt hungry for an hour or so after eating lunch but after a while of ignoring it, it went away and stayed away. Can’t imagine following this pattern very often – I think only eating late in the day serves me well on FDs, and this is the first time I’ve actually managed to stick with a FD when I’ve eaten my main meal for lunch. The closest I’ve gotten in the past is an equal split of calories between lunch and dinner.

I’m with you LJ, I like to have my cals in the bank on a FD. I think I might panic if I knew I had hours to go and not much left to look forward to. It’s all a psychological game to play with oneself. I haven’t felt hungry at all today. I remember you said recently that a FD is easier for you when you’ve over-indulged the day before. I’m the opposite, I find it hard to fast when I’ve had too much the previous day as it sets me up for wanting to graze. I still do it regardless but I feel more challenged. Today’s a breeze. Ah really, they’re all a breeze after completing over 300 of them!

That soup sounds delish JJulie. Not so much the beetroot dip! (it’s the only food I literally cannot eat). I make my own hommus too. Agree, it can be annoying trying to retrieve it all from the depths of the blender.

Hi Minka, nice to have you with us today. I hadn’t replied to your email because I didn’t want to add to your study stress. But I know I owe you one. You’re the one who introduced me to the choc mint Madame Flavour. My fave is still the choc orange but my local Coles doesn’t stock it and this is my second favourite. So, what’s on your FD menu today?

Just watching the 1976 Countdown compilation.
    I’m confronted by the uncomfortable truth of what I thought was great music when I was 14, and even worse the singers I thought were the hottest things in a pair of tight jeans – oh dear! In hindsight I find myself cringing a bit. I’m hoping I had better taste when they get to the 80s.

Thin, I posted the recipe of the Nabe on the recipe site if you are interested.

I am going to try the hommus recipe that LJoyce posted, will do this tomorrow.

What is Countdown on?

Hi JJ – ABC2, 20 and 21

I just had a worse realisation – I used to have a haircut that looks awfully like the one I can see Ted Mulry sporting.
    I hope the mullet stays dead forever – that’s one rerun we can do without.

Viewing 50 posts - 12,851 through 12,900 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.