Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,911 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 1 day, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,501 through 10,550 (of 28,015 total)

• Hi there

Supporting Thin in only having full fat foods. Better for you and more satiating.

Cheers, Bay

I cannot stand chocolate chips in anything. Nowadays I don’t even desire a hot cross bun any more. None of them taste as good as the memory of childhood buns. Cheers, Bay

Lael

None of my business, but I would suggest your friend gets another doctor to give another opinion. I know a few pre diabetics who have reversed their condition with strict 5:2 fasting. They all had a doctor to monitor their intake of various meds.

Cheers, Bay

Hi Thin

I missed your wonderful post with which I heartily agree re fat and sugar.

My pathology place refused to draw blood when I said how long I had been fasting, as they said it would affect the results. I had to go back after normal NFD fasting from the evening meal only.

Cheers, Bay

I forgot to clarify earlier that my blood results were always WNL, I was just hoping for some amazing improvement d/t 5:2. Well done with yours GDSA. Bay, I’d been fasting for over 15 hours (feeling pretty smug about it too!) but it was too long. BTW, it’s my neighbour who’s been told fasting is contra-indicated in her pre-diabetic state. I will ask her this weekend if there were other factors. Her GP admitted she’d never heard of 5:2 but didn’t think fasting sounded a good idea!

LJ, it’s because of Bay and others already in maintenance who were posting regularly on this thread that I decided to go ahead with 5:2. I could see it wasn’t a passing fad. I identify with Bay the most because she’s shown herself to be human and isn’t always perfect wrt food.

Now I’m there myself and have maintained my 23 kg loss for 18 months – not a record for me but I do believe I will stay this weight now. For me, maintenance 5:2 looks a lot like weight loss 5:2. This is why I tell people that it doesn’t really matter how long it takes to reach goal weight as nothing really changes.

In maintenance, I have alternated between 5:2 and 6:1. I find the latter very useful when we go overseas so that my OFMs can enjoy their holiday too without everything revolving around what I can or cannot eat. Last year, we went to Spain and Portugal for about two months and, after 3 weeks of 6:1, I stopped fasting altogether as we were walking between 10-15km a day and I started losing too much weight (something I never thought would ever apply to me!). On return home, I continued with 6:1 for 4 months until I hit a pre-determined ‘trigger’ weight of 61kgs. Then I carried on with 5:2 until we went to Africa in June when I practiced 6:1 for 5 weeks. Again, on return, I continued with that until my weight crept up to 61kg again and I decided to stay with 5:2 throughout the Christmas period.

For me, having a trigger weight is crucial to my long-term maintenance. Like Bay, I find I can either practice 6:1 with constant vigilance on the six days (which is just like any other diet really) or I can enjoy the odd indulgence, restaurant meal, etc and never really worry about what I’m eating too much by continuing 5:2.

Tonight, for instance, friends have invited us to go out for dinner. This always causes a bit of anxiety for me as everything is always so carby. They love pizza (with garlic bread, really?) which is worst nightmare. I’ve steered them to a Vietnamese instead. Before I leave home, I will choose from the menu on-line so there’s no impulse selecting. I won’t have entrees, rice or dessert. Maybe one glass of wine but no topping up.

sorry, not enough time to edit my diatribes, *my worst nightmare

And sorry, Bay, you are perfect in every other way, of course!

Hi Bay & Thin, thankyou for your responses. They actually confirm what I had suspected. If I don’t want to carefully monitor my NFDs and allow for the occasional indulgence, which will happen, then 5:2 is likely to be the right balance on maintenance.

I think that will be fine, 2 days per week isn’t much. In my first month I panicked every time I overate on a NFD and ended up adding another FD, so I ended up doing 4:3 most weeks. This month I’m doing mostly 5:2 (in a 2NFD-1FD pattern) and it actually feels like a long time between FDs. I do want to get to a point where I’m not obsessing about every food choice every day (which I have a tendency to do). I think 5:2 on maintenance would help with this goal too.

I do agree about being more relaxed on holidays, I like the idea of 6:1. I took early retirement a couple of years ago and I’m still working on my house and garden to get it ready for sale. I’m hoping to be settled into a smaller, lower maintenance place by next year so that I can go travelling too. It’s been quite some time since I travelled overseas, but I can remember doing a lot of walking as it was often easier than trying to figure out local bus or train routes and I found I saw more on foot that I would have missed wizzing by on a bus.

Thanks for the feedback, I find it reassuring.

Hi All,

Thin, thank you for the acknowledgements in being chosen for the work position! I’m still marveling at the fact that they picked me! I’m not sure when I’ll be starting, as an orientation day is being organized for possibly a few of us who have been hired, and the date is yet to be set. In the meantime I’m getting my First Aid Certificate, tomorrow! Saturday is usually my FD, so this week is panning out to be 6:1. Since I wasn’t able to fit in a second FD, which is fine. I’ve rarely taken a 6:1 week since in maintenance.

Speaking of maintenance LJ, I can only second everything Bay and Thin have said (and Cinque and Merry have also guided me along my maintenance journey too)! I’ve been in maintenance since September 2016, which is only 4 months so I still feel a bit of a newby wrt maintaining! And in light of that, I’ve decided to review and and reconsider my original goal weight! When first commencing 5:2, I had a goal weight in mind and reached that in September, as I said, however, since then I’ve shed an extra kilogram or so and feel all the better for it. So, if I shed another kilogram or so and it too feels good, I’ll heed and honor that. In other words, I’m letting my body decide where it feels most at equilibrium rather than making it conform to the number I had in my head. I loosely use the upper ‘trigger’ weight strategy that Thin has described, though admittedly, like I said, since dropping the extra kilogram, the upper limit number has accordingly fallen and this works!

Cinque, I meant to say how wonderful it sounds to have an angel who comes and helps out with floor cleaning and is acknowledging of your 5:2 efforts!

Joffy, I visited the Reject Shop today and found those boxes of La Zuppa ‘cup of soup’ sachets for 10 cents each! Is that how much you paid!?!?!

Hey fellow 5:2’ers, check out your local Reject Shop to see if the baskets of La Zuppa single search ‘cup of soup’ sachets are sitting there near the check out register and selling for 10 cents too!?! Given your review Joffy, I decided to buy a couple of boxes and give them a try!

Lastly, it took me 4 days for my fasting glucose levels to drop to a healthy range after Monday’s binge. Finally this morning I heaved a sigh of relief as I read the numbers on my meter! Graphically and factually observing how that one afternoon sweets binge wreaked havoc on my blood sugar for a few days post binge, is incentive to treat my body with more care. …By the way, it isn’t cheap to monitor my blood sugar levels. Since I haven’t been diagnosed with diabetes I pay full price for glucose strips and lancets. The glucose strips are about 50 cents each, though worth every cent. …Otherwise I might be living in ignorant bliss since no way would I binge on sweets just before a doctor’s pathology blood draw, so might never realize until too late!

Hi Bay, i havent had time to read all the conversations but agree too that full fat is the way to go, just need to be aware of portion control when consuming. I dont use any reduced fat products at all they’re full of nasties.
    I wouldnt even try a choc chip hot cross bun either its just not right and HC buns these days are tasteless with minimal fruit.
    I make my own with lottsa fruit and spices….totally delish which makes portion control tricky !! But hey HC buns are for anytime – Easter is just a big marketing excuse for the supermarkets these days.

Good morning everyone, I feel like I have been away for ages. I was busy with grandkids and also dealing with the community project that the oldies here know I have been working on. I have had a bad couple of days (in between gorgeous grandma duties) accepting that the organisation we were working with is not really capable of being our partner. It is an awful blow and it has been painful to accept it. Now I have another couple of emails to write, and then a lot of follow up!
    Well at least I am out of limbo.

Today is my Day before Fast Day!

I am also a Hot Cross Bun Purist and roll my eyes when my daughter wants the ones with chocolate chips in! And home made are the best, of course!

Thanks for your lovely comments about my homecare angel, I am so grateful for the service.
    I have noticed that people who know me really well have got used to my new slimness, people who haven’t seen me for years don’t blink an eye, but people who just see me now and again get a shock and worry that I am sick.

Good luck with your First Aid certificate Lael! I got mine last year!

Off to go and work on the hard things.

Best wishes all

I’m afraid I don’t qualify geographically for this excellent thread but I’m loving the discussions. As someone following a LCHF eating plan to keep diabetes at bay, I am delighted to see so much appreciation for the value of healthy fats.

My eye was caught by the maintenance topic. I’m a long way from there still but it’s good to see some confirmation of what I’m expecting, which is pretty much the same as I’m already doing! It’s such a relief to not just be on another diet.

Cheers, everyone!

Lolly, we’re happy to have you here, welcome. I was nosing around your profile to try and find out where you’re located and read something in your posts that made me wonder if this thread would also be useful to you: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/binge-eating-disorder-group/ You’ll find some of our contributors supporting each other over there.

Cinque, so sorry to hear that your partner organisation has collapsed, it must be so frustrating. Better to find out now I suppose. I hope it all works out well and that you’re getting plenty of support in your efforts. Did you daughter pass her driving test?

Following last night’s restaurant meal, I’m seeing horror numbers on the scales today. I know my body can absorb the odd indulgence and the weight will go back down over the next few days but I was tempted to do an instant FD today – the only thing stopping me was a tray of prawns purchased yesterday and the knowledge that tomorrow’s a FD anyway. I don’t cook with salt and whenever we eat out I seem to spend the rest of the night drinking gallons of water. Hopefully, that’s contributing to the huge weight gain.

Lael, I hope the First Aid course is going well today. That’s always a useful skill. Did you enjoy the 10c La Zuppa soup?

Yesterday was only 30C but with stifling humidity. It’s a lovely cool morning today so I’m off to walk with a bit of a spring in my step.

Update on my first week: I have lost some weight! Yay! It was hard the first day, headaches for most of the day. The second FD was not as bad. Am also finding that I am not particularly hungry on my non-FDs. As Intesha will know, I have a terrible coffee addiction, so I think that was the cause of the headaches. Have switched to herbal tea and only have one coffee a day. Also I plan for my FDs which helps. Hope the world is kind to you all and you are kind to our world – remember there is no Planet B.

Hi everyone,
    Wow, so much to read! Been away from the forum for a few days and you’ve all just about written a book!

Congratulations to those newbies who’ve done successful Fast Days (FDs), and had some losses. Well done! We all lose a bit differently, steps and stairs, sometimes a large amount, sometimes a little and occasionally nothing, or even a little gain, but the key is being consistent I.e. keep consistently doing your 2FDs a week and you’ll get to your goal. Some will be quick , some slow, some have a lot to lose, some a little. But, we get there supporting and learning from each other. It’s great.

Hi Lolly – nice of you to drop in and say helloπŸ™‚

Recently, I said one of the things I like about this SH thread is that we’re a mixed bunch and we all support each other in our individual choices, and we accept what others eat without condemnation or argument. We give suggestions of the 5:2 weight loss kind but that’s different to insisting others eat as we do. We have a range of different eating styles here including full fat and low fat, low carb or high carb, meat eating and largely vegetarian. At any one time we may not always have a large number of people eating in any particular style but the numbers will shift and change and everyone is accepted here. We may comment that certain things may be holding back your 5:2 success, but whether you eat high fat or low fat is a personal choice unrelated to 5:2. That doesn’t mean we don’t discuss it, just that we talk about it with respect for each other. Carbs are also something we discuss as people have different approaches there too. And of course there’s different kinds of carbs – the starchy kind and the non starchy kind. The relevance to 5:2 is that some of us can eat the starchy carbs and lose weight, and for some of us eating starchy carbs, especially from grains, stops us from losing weight. I don’t know why it does, but that’s what happens. Some have to give up grains while the weight normalises, and for some, maybe potatoes as well.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Afternoon all.

KrisAnne, well done getting through your first week and losing weight. I think giving up caffeine is harder than giving up food, so good on if if you’ve cut back on coffee. I have a serious tea addiction and while I do limit the cups on a FD (due to the amount of milk I have in it), giving them up was a deal breaker for me.

Cinque and GDSA, I agree about the homemade buns. I too make my own easter buns and usually make the same dough into a fruit loaf occasionally during the year. In addition to the fruit and spices I add the zest of an orange. I hate candied peel, but love citrus flavours, so the fresh zest really worked as a replacement.

Thin, although I no longer weigh daily, I used to. I was always horrified by how much my weight could increase by one meal out. It was usually 2-3kg. I had a hard time reconciling how a high calorie meal that probably weighed 400-500grams in total could add 2-3kg. So it must be water weight, because when you look at what you actually ate and what those foods would have weighed, they are only a fraction of the weight gain. If the other other thing you consume is liquids, then that is what your body has hung unto. Like you, my diet is relatively low in salt but I certainly do still have a hankering for salty foods and find it difficult not to binge on them.

Lael, thanks for adding to the comments on maintaining. I like the idea of letting my body find it’s own level, although it is a scary concept as this has usually meant 100+kg. If I can eat without a lot of planning an monitoring on NFDs when on maintenance I’ll be happy as this is what I associate with “normal” eating behaviour – I strongly suspect it will take 2 FD per week to achieve that. But it’s still probably 3-4 months away so I have time to ponder more on my approach.

I think our beautiful weather in Adelaide has blown east – overcast now and the forecast is still for 3 days of rain. Looks like I’ll be doing indoor yoga rather than walks around the hills for a few days. I am lucky enough to have lived in the Adelaide Hills for the last 2 decades. It’s a truly beautiful place to live, I’m only 25 minutes from the CBD but I feel like I’m living in a country town with lots of space between buildings. I love the fact that most people use careful planting rather than high barrier fences to get some privacy – you get that luxury when most houses are on blocks that are between 1/2 and 2 acres. But living on the side of a hill does has had some real challenges for someone with rheumatoid arthritis. I made the difficult decision last year to get the house and garden ready for sale and to move to flat ground and a smaller lower maintenance house and garden. It’s a long process as there’s a lot to be done to if I want a good price and I’m pretty slow with most tasks. But I’m hoping to be ready to sell within another year. I’ll be sad to leave my beloved hills and extended family who are literally walking distance in several directions from my home, but I know it’s the best long term decision for me. The big bonus is that it will free up enough capital that I can start doing some travel, which I’m hoping will soften the blow.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Thin I am not going to admit how much I have put on in the last week but I enjoyed every minute with KrisAnne in Canberra and my cousins visit. You asked about her, she lives in QLD and married a man from Zimbabwe. They travel back there twice a year for 3 months at a time. Yes I would love to go there and have an open invitation to stay at their place whether they are there or not.

KrisAnne well done you I hope this will encourage you to keep going. The first few months can be difficult and headaches seem to be a part of the process,coffee or no coffee. My cousin is also looking into our WOL.

FD today to try and counteract some of the damage but meeting a friend tomorrow for a movie and lunch but that is the last of my social life for awhile. So back on the horse on Tuesday my next FD.

Nice to have you back Merry. Hoping everything is falling into place for you and OH now.

LJ, it’s staggering how much our weight can fluctuate in a day, as you say. 1.8kg in fact since yesterday morning. However, one good walk later and it’s now only 800gm. Only!

I applaud you for being able to weigh only monthly but I need that constant feedback to regulate what I eat. Noting that I’m still well up over yesterday’s weight led me to skip breakfast, it’s now after noon and I’m just having my second coffee. I’ll call it a mini fast because I can’t see those prawns go to waste tonight! Ignoring a bit here and getting away with a bit there was what always led me back on that slippery slope before. I feel I need to be eternally vigilant now. This doesn’t mean I always make the best food choices, just that I fix it up before it becomes a problem. As Merry says, we’re all different and have our different strategies.

I’ve just had a thought too – I’m perfectly fine when left to my own devices. Most of my food challenges these days arise from other people’s annoying choices. I suppose this would be true for a lot us – Lael?

Intesha, let’s go!

Do people find they randomly fast on non fast days? I just could not bring myself to eat yesterday (I forced myself to eat breakfast, then felt like total poop all day) at around dinner, I had a banana to try and calm my stomach, and I thought at least if I throw up, it will taste nice! Today I have had 2 vita wheat and a banana and 2 strawberries again- I don’t feel bad- I don’t have much energy- I certainly don’t feel sick today.

Is it alright to move fast days around, I feel sort of weird not eating over the weekend and then having my proper fast days on Mon and Tues.

Oh to those who drink coffee…I am a shocker, and have cut down to 3 a day! 2 in the morning to get me over a sleepless night with two kiddos who still feel the need to share a bed (they are 7 and 9 YEARS old!!) and one at lunch, which is like a carry over from work to get me through the day!

Any how! I refuse to weigh myself until my week is up- I’m finding I constantly weigh and get obsessed with it if i do it more than once a week!!

Missing my home of Colonel Light Gardens in South Australia reading all these posts from South Australians!! If there was work there, I would be back in a flash, at least in Tasmania there is no work, but housing is affordable for us- and homeschooling isn’t completely shunned down here either which works nicely for us πŸ™‚

Best of luck everyone this week πŸ™‚

Amanda

Amanda, I definitely EAT on NFDs! I believe the ‘feast’ is as important as the ‘fast’ in this WOL. It’s quite OK to move FDs around. Personally, I like the routine of my FDs remaining the same as it takes the ambiguity out it. It also helps others around you to support you – my family, friends and neighbours all know I’m willing to change my days but that it’s generally best not to suggest anything food related on Wednesday and Sundays.

Your comment, ‘at least if I throw up, it will taste nice’ is worrying. Are you alright? I hope I’ve misread it and you’re just feeling unwell in general.

Re: coffee, I used to drink about 8 cups of instant a day before I bought my Rancilio machine about 10 years ago. Since I’ve been grinding my own beans, frothing milk manually, etc I only have two cups a day.

Hi Amanda, CLG is a lovely suburb, wide tree lined streets, lovely old houses. I used to live in it’s neighbour – Lower Mitcham. That area south of the city is still my favourite area of suburban Adelaide.

I agree about turning NFD into FD, there’s a temptation to do more of them. In my first month I ended up doing mainly 4:3 instead of 5:2 because there would always be at least one NFD day where I wasn’t hungry and it seemed a waste to not take advantage of that and do a FD. However this month I am trying to test 5:2 properly so I’m trying not to keep adding extra FDs. I need to learn to reliably eat within my TDEE on NFD as much as I need to do the FDs. For me too much restriction, which means too many FDs usually results in some bingeing behaviour. So extra fasting isn’t necessarily helpful in the long run. That said, it doesn’t mean I have to eat all day on a NFD, as long as I stay above my BMR it’s OK. In fact if I’m between my BMR but under my TDEE it will still help toward my weight loss and help teach me that a normal day can include days where I eat a little less than I need, it doesn;t have to mean a day where I struggle to contain my eating (which is what I have known as “normal” for a very long time). Today is a NFD for me and it’s mid-afternoon and all I’ve had is one pot of tea – appetite hasn’t kicked in yet and I am trying to listen to my body and appetite properly. I will eat a proper dinner tonight which will be more calories than a fast day and I’ll add a couple of pieces of fruit as well.

Hi all,
    I have had DH away again this week so trying juggle kids, work and getting people places on time. Since 6th Jan I’ve got from 93 to now 88.3kg, tho I have been sitting there for a week now. I think that I have stagnated. It could be I am not eating enough of NFD – averaging 950 calories. It’s because I don’t feel like eating and bad planning maybe. Could be hormonal. How do I get more calories if I don’t feel like eating?
    Positives are that I’ve had to buy new jeans. Size 20 is just too big! I am feeling so much better within myself. I’ve been quite active and I have tonne of energy πŸ™‚ Nearly a month of doing 5:2 πŸ™‚

I am a purest when it comes to Hot Cross buns – but I have developed an issue with grains over the years, we have a son who is gluten free so we bake them fresh for him and I *try* hard not to have any because I get tummy pain and my tummy swells up.

KGF

thinatlast, I was feeling completely off all yesterday and now I look back, the day before- I don’t think it was related at all to the food- I have a feeling I picked up something a bit nasty from somewhere. As I’m not eating much these past two days, they will become my fast days, and I am hoping that what ever I have picked up, will be gone by Mon and Tuesday and I’ll be back to my normal ‘eat most things’ self.

We’re having hamburgers for dinner, with a bit of bacon from the farmers market- and my mouth is watering- so maybe I’m coming back to normal!! πŸ˜‰

Ha ha, I had no idea so many people made their own h.c.buns! It wouldn’t even occur to me to do that. I still relate them to Easter and usually we only have them on Good Friday or Easter Sunday, 1 lot only. I did try the ones with you know what in them out of curiosity but realised they were so addictive, not again.

Amanda – describing your non hungry NFD didn’t sound normal to me either – more like you pr tummy was a bit off. The day after a FD many people wake up not hungry and stay this way for awhile, which surprises them at first, because they think they should be ravenous. Most people find that over the first few months their approach to food starts changing. 5:2 seems to change not only our body, in weight and health, but also seems to affect our psychology around food. We start making healthier choices, naturally reduce portions, start cutting right down on sugar etc. The amazing thing many of us find is that 5:2 is very forgiving and flexible. As Thin said, most times we eat outside our regular nonFD strategies that individually suit us, it’s around other people in social settings, special celebrations, and “treats” go back to being “treats” as the word was used way back i.e. something that is eaten rarely rather than something eaten regularly but we know is not healthy.

The other change many of us start doing naturally is finding we no longer have the taste for, or want to eat very processed foods, so we tend to eat more fresh veggies, more home made food, less food with preservatives and artificial colours etc. so we’re eating the healthier version of foods. Somehow 5:2 tunes us into how our bodies respond to different foods, not just learning what is hunger and what isn’t.

I thought I knew a reasonable amount about food and how my body responded before 5:2, but I’ve learnt a whole lot more since I’ve been on it. I am one of those boring people with a gazillion food intolerances and a few allergies. I’ve had to do gastroscopy, elimination diet under dietitian etc and fed a family for decades where at times I was sourcing and prepping food for several different medical diets. It was a challenge especially on a low budget and not being a natural cook, but I managed, as mothers do.

Merry,
    Back later

Cinque – hope the situation is looking up soon and you find an organisation that will work well with your project.

Thin & Intesha – in the same situation re meals out, and out of my usual routine with food most of this week. But we all know 5:2 will get us back on track pretty quickly. I love how we can do the special things in life and still have control over the food and not the food having control of us.

Re maintenance – I will continue 5:2 and adjust what I eat on my nonFDs. I had to forego all starchy carbs including all starchy veggies, legumes and dried beans, except for special celebrations to lose my excess weight. I also had to increase the percentage of protein. My plan is to now add a little starchy carbsback in on my 5 day and reduce protein a bit, switching some protein from animal/fish based to lentils, chickpeas and dried beans. I also plan to do 5:2 for the rest of my life. It is so do-able.

It has surprised me just how very different our bodies can be in their need for nutrition. We vary so much in age and medical status, and what can be excellent for 1 person can be very wrong for another. I need a low fat way of eating, with extra salt added. I also am better on more vegetable protein than animal. I lived for many years only having plant based proteins, egg whites, and about 100gms animal based protein 1/week. I was very healthy, never got ill, and when I gave up red meat my PMT all but disappeared – went from 2 weeks/month to 1day/month.That was life changing! I had red meat 1/ month. I also lived very low fat for many years and found it excellent. I differ from others in that I’ve never found low fat products a problem if you know how to read the nutrition and ingredients list on the back. You don’t go by the deceptive way products are described on the front – you check the back and only have those without all the added sugars. For eg. I eat low fat plain yoghurt often. It has no added sugar, and there are at least 3 brands available in my area.

Yes Thin, it’s very busy at the moment but we now have a more positive situation to work with, so that helps a lot.

Get back on the horse,
    onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Sitting here reading the posts my OH wont eat anything full fat since his heart attack he has high chol I eat full fat and my Chol has always been low. Had a sad week my Grandaughter miscarried a baby boy lost twins last year I feel her pain It hurts to see someone go through that.I have to say i love hot cross buns with choc chips even as a child i didn’t like mixed peal but i will only buy 1 lol. My Dr says life was meant to be enjoyed just not as much as i enjoy it.I have also cut my coffee intake to no more than three a day I have cut my intake of starchy carbs down but not completely out I do love a slice of bread i just try to make it low GI.

Hi All, Fasting today since I missed yesterday due to the First Aid course! I’m in good company with Thin and Cinque who I understand I’ll be joining in with for Sunday fasting and maybe others?

I too love our eclectic group and how various members each find what works best for them and that we are all open to each others’ ways. This is a main reason why I’ve always felt so embraced by this group.

Cinque, I guess you also got shown gory photos of horrific injuries too? I had to close my eyes and did feel a wave of nausea at one point! Still it was such good info to learn! I’m cheering on Yam Daisy and am envisioning a home that is even more suited than the previous possibility!

Fishing Gran, how difficult for your whole family to live through such loss. ((Hugs)).

Amanda, glad your tummy is feeling better!

KGF, well done on shedding nearly 5 kg! That’s an amazing result and double the average 5:2 loss of 1/2 kg per week. Like Merry pointed out in a post, many of us lose in steps and stairs pattern. Also, if you’ve been more active, your muscle mass may be increasing while your fat percentage is decreasing. The phenomenon often fools us into thinking that nothing of value is happening, since most scales don’t register this improvement.

LJ, letting my body decide it’s own weight used to be out of the question for me, prior to 5:2! As you indicated, previously when I did that I gained considerably! However, as I made my way on my 5:2 journey, I began to gain a much greater integrity in my ‘feeling sense’ of my body. The first thing I noted is what Merry, describes in some of her posts, which is that my relationship to hunger changed. From fasting a hunger pang no longer sent me to the larder! Post FDs I found my appetite decreased. With this came a more peaceful sense of equilibrium in my body which enabled me to distinguish ‘real’ hunger from emotional hunger. Eventually I also found that my toleration for sweetness had diminished. Things that I had once thought deliciously sweet began to taste overpoweringly high on the sweetness scale to the point of repulsion! Then, after reaching maintenance and feeling great, I found that as I shed the extra kilogram or two I’ve had more energy, been able to push the edges a bit farther of the amount of exertion I can get away with, my blood sugar levels have improved, I’m clearer headed, I have more ‘good days’ than ‘bad’, my step has become ‘springier’! I feel more physically at ease with fewer aches and pains. It is all these feeling senses of that I trust and follow. Prior to 5:2 I was so much less conscious with my eating and I used to eat emotionally without even realizing. The FD break from emotional eating has enabled me to gain more awareness of when I’m doing that and given me a clarity and strength to look into why I’m doing that and to take steps to heal the underlying issue/problem/stuff. So, now I’m much more able to identify emotional eating that sticks out like the ‘sore thumb’ for what it is and am able to respond caringly (rather than with ridicule that simply used to simply fuel further emotional eating). So, I guess 5:2 has been a healing process that now enables me to better feel and honor and trust body signals to guide me toward what is healthy. …Not sure if this makes sense. It’s kind of subtle and difficult to explain.

Good afternoon everyone,
    Only 5 more hours to soup time!
    Hello fellow fasters!
    Nice to have you fellow fasting on a Sunday Lael!

Amanda, you asked about moving fast days around. Go for it!
    It is so lovely to look at the week ahead and work out which two days will make for easiest fasting.

I gradually developed a Wednesday – Sunday pattern, but I just change one or both if something comes up to make it necessary.

The genius of Dr Mosley’s 5:2 plan is that it is ‘do-able’ to such a wonderful extent!

Yay for Coffee. It is the best way to survive the demands of motherhood! But Oh it is just hard when you start drinking so much that it doesn’t really give you that lovely kick, and cutting down gives you a brutal headache. It is my favourite drug in the world though!

We are SUCH a diverse bunch because I LOVE candied peel, especially the beautiful stuff you can buy around here (old Italian population). Sadly I am not eating it any more.

I am still drafting emails re my food project and have made a long list of everything I have to do now the decision has been made. Thanks so much for your comments Thin, Merry and Lael, there are a whole world of possibilities open to us now. Your good wishes help!

Fishing Gran, so sad to read your post and to imagine the grief and suffering of your granddaughter and the whole family. Sending my very best wishes, and so glad that she has people who love her so much around her.

For those who aren’t feeling like eating, I must say that my strong response is to listen to your body.
    When I first cut out sugar I would often go 24 or 36 hours without feeling hungry and I am so sure it was my body’s healthy response to not having my brain bombarded with that intolerable craving.
    If it continues, or you have signs that you are not well, then it is important to see a doctor, or do something about it, but why not start by trusting yourself?

Best wishes all,

Hi all, I’m just home from the usual family brunch that we do most Sunday mornings. It’s a fast day for me so I just ordered a pot of tea.
    I have a punnet of strawberries set aside for afternoon tea (it’s my regular FD treat and only 65 calories for the entire punnet), yum. Sometime I sit it on the kitchen bench and just graze on them over the day and other times I’ll eat the entire punnet in one go.
    For dinner I’ll cook a veg stir fry with konjac noodles, topped with a generous dollop of homemade satay sauce for my protein & fat content.

I noticed in one of the other forums, a discussion about lent and it gave me an idea. I haven’t done a lent sacrifice in years, but I’ve decided that this year I’m giving up sloth for lent. (Left to my own devices I’m quite happy to sit around reading all day – not good as a frequent choice and I’m doing this more than I should.) I’m still working out what that will mean in terms of activities – I think I’ll have an exercise target and also a household task target. Still time to sort the details as it doesn’t start until 1st March.

I’m a week into the 2NFD+1FD rhythm now and it’s going well. Now that there are fewer FDs than I did last month I find it easier (so far) to stay within my TDEE on the NFDs. That’s a pleasant surprise, but I do need to complete the whole month before I can be sure about this pattern as binges can strike when I least expect them.

Have a good day all.

Hi all,

It is our FD today as well and LJ, I can smell those strawberries on you bench!

Merry, re your comment about some people can eat starch, grains, legumes etc and others can’t, I recently read an article (can’t remember which journal) that explained that our ability to ‘cope’ with starches is related to how many copies of the AMY1 gene we inherit. Most rice-eating cultures typically have a higher number of copies. So we should’t feel negative about what can’t be changed.

Finally, I really appreciate this forum – the posts are thoughtful, supportive, informative and non-judgmental.

Enjoy your day, and cherish yourselves,

Val

Good morning from the west. I’m in crisis mode as it’s a FD and I woke to being 600gm over my ‘trigger’ weight. I went for a walk and I’m still 600gm over my trigger weight. Can’t chuck in a FD when it’s already a FD (should have done it yesterday it seems) so this means extreme vigilance for the rest of this week. GP appointment on Friday and I’m highly motivated to show him that I haven’t gained an ounce since I last saw him over a year ago. Not to mention wanting to stay below 61kg for myself of course. This happens just about every time we eat out. It’s getting to the point that I just don’t enjoy the prospect any more. You can choose a ‘fasting meal’ on a flight now. Why are there no 5:2 restaurants?

Fishing Gran, so sorry for your loss.

Hi Merry, I’m halfway through replying to your lovely email.

Cinque, I hadn’t realised until I read Lael’s post that the loss of the business partner meant the loss of the venue. You sound positive about new possibilities so here’s to an even better option ahead. Can’t imagine giving up coffee, I’m enjoying one now.

Lael, you’re making progress in more ways than one. Nice to have you with us fasting today. You too PerthGirl, our posts crossed. PerthGirl and I will be meeting for coffee this week, details TBA. So if there are any Perth losers interested in joining us, please do let us know.

My freezer is well stocked with cauliflower soup again and tonight’s dinner is one of my FD favourites – 50gm smoked salmon, 80gm steamed asparagus, one poached egg with 1tbs full fat yoghurt seasoned with chopped fresh dill and a squeeze of lime. Fit for a king. 195 cals.

It’s fast day and I’m just heating my Stagg Chilli, which i found in an out of town supermarket earlier this week. It says it’s imported by an Australian company so you could probably all get it too. 200 calories for half the can. Delicious. I have it on a “bed” of courgettes. I wish we could buy canned rainbow trout, but I heard in NZ it’s illegal to sell trout, you have to either catch it yourself or have it given to you by someone who’s caught it themselves. I think this is to preserve the trout stocks so there will always be trout for people to eat. I think the last time I had trout was at age 12 when I caught it myself, nearly 30 years ago. I still remember how delicious it was. There’s been talk of getting Aldi in NZ here for a while though, so maybe it’ll happen.

Good to know strawberries are low calorie, I think I’ve grazed on a few today, but then I’ve been leaving about 100 calories for grazing – berries and such not cake.

I’m also a purist about baked goods. I also don’t like the way chocolate chips go into everything these days. I also think muffins should have some form of bran in them, I put oat bran in mine if they need to be white such as I like blueberry muffins to be, and wheat bran if it doesn’t matter. As for chocolate muffins, forget it, and while I will eat muffins with icing on (Muffin Break – yum) I still don’t think of those as real muffins.

As for blood tests, I’m a scientist and I do the testing, so I feel I’m qualified to answer. When I started work nearly 19 years ago, we only specified a minimum fasting time of 10 hours. Note that you can have water during this time, my mother asked me to look at her results once and I said it looked like she was dehydrated, and she replied, well it was a fasting test. She thought fasting meant nil per mouth, but that’s only for surgery not for blood tests. Anyway now we specify 15 hours maximum fasting time, because of metabolic changes that occur when you fast for longer, presumably the same metabolic changes we’re exploiting on 5:2. But in fact the latest studies out say that fasting or non fasting it makes no difference, so now our pathologist has recommended to the doctors that they don’t do fasting tests. Fasting is more difficult for the patients and it clogs our waiting rooms first thing in the morning.

No weight loss this week, but my clothes feel better on and I feel better in general. I’m on some pretty heavy hormonal medications at the moment so I’m not expecting to lose a lot of weight right now, although it would be nice as I’m hoping to be pregnant soon (IVF) and then I’ll have to stop 5.2 for a while. Sorry to hear your news fishing gran, I’ve been through failed pregnancy myself and it’s not fun, but I feel it’s made me a lot stronger in the long run.

Hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Jody

I wish that 30 years ago I’d been only 12! Thanks for the info on blood collection / testing Jody – I’d long wondered why you wouldn’t just collect the blood as a spot test sample of what’s actually going on rather than getting the patient to fast. I knew you could drink water. In fact, patients are encouraged to drink lots of water because it makes obtaining samples a lot easier.

Well, Coles has enjoyed no end of free advertising from my original whinging post about hot x buns. Who’d have thought there’d be so much interest in the topic!

To continue with the Coles ‘plugs’, our local Coles is really helping my 5:2 efforts. Because of their limited baking capacity, and the need to bake hot cross buns from Christmas to Easter, they can no longer make Walnut and Apple scrolls – the only ‘sweet item’ I am ever tempted by – I don’t normally eat cakes, biscuits or sweets. (And if your local Perth Coles is still making them I DON’T want to know!)

Morning all.

Well, 30 years ago I was only 12 too (this Wednesday actually… there’s some early morning maths for you!)

The scales are being overly nice this week to me… Monday morning is my official weekly weigh in time and I lost 2kg last week apparently. Definitely a record for me, I’m guessing next week might be a bit smaller. I did have a pretty good week though, other than my two FD’s (Mon/Thur), I also did 16:8 on Sat/Sun for the first time, so that might have helped recalibrate the Monday number a little. I’ve now lost 7.3kg in 10 weeks on 5:2 (and that includes putting a little back on over Christmas). Long, long way to go yet (BMI has just ticked under 36), but definitely onwards and downwards.

Jody – the rainbow trout we get here at Aldi is a product of Turkey (of all places), not really somewhere that I picture clear mountain streams full of trout (but they are rather tasty!)… not sure of the exact law in NZ, but that might just apply to fresh, locally caught trout (?) in which case you might get lucky at some point πŸ™‚

Hope everyone has an amazing week.

If anyone has a Breville breadmaker it has a great hot cross bun recipe. If I remember when I’m home, I’ll get it and post it.

Best to make your own because you know what’s in them!

I personally can’t stand mixed fruit but am too a purist – no choc chips for me. I put the fruit in the breadmaker up front so that it is mashed up. Tastes fantastic but none of the yukky fruit texture.

Thank you all for the info on fasting blood tests, I was probably about 40 hours fasted, I was going home for lunch. I will do the next one after a feast day.
    I love hot cross buns, no chocolates chips, but sadly, wheat still upsets me and gluten free ones are just awful.
    I have booked and paid for my big trip to europe. I am doing tours of UK, France and Italy, I have promised my daughter that I will buy her baby clothes in every city i spend time in, she finds out today if I will by buying girl clothes or boy clothes, I really hope I will be looking for pink. I have to concentrate on getting fit, but had a fall and my hip is giving me some pain.
    I’m glad that strawberries are so low in calories, I had a bumper crop this year, and just ate my way around the garden, now my blueberries are ripe and I visit the bush everyday, purple tongue for about a week now. Then the Chilean guava will be ready, they are devine, they taste like fruit and custard combined. They are so small that two handfuls hardly satisfy.
    Happy fasting all, Lynn

Good morning from rainy Melbourne. What a happy garden I have!

What a fabulous garden you must have Pin, and what a wonderful trip you have ahead of you. I know from experience how gorgeous granddaughters are, so no wonder you would like one. (We will be secretly hoping for a boy next time, but that is a few years away I think).
    I do hope the pain in your hip is sorted out and clears up.

Vaderz, Happy birthday for Wednesday! What a great age to be!
    You must really be feeling your lost weight. So much more comfortable! Congratulations.

Ha Perthgirl, so glad Coles is such a good 5:2 partner!
    Not sure how happy they would be with the sort of advertising you are giving them Thin (and dozy me, I first saw chocolate chip hot cross buns at Bakers Delight, so I thought that is who you were talking about. Sorry Coles! πŸ˜‰ )

Thin, I kept trying to give up coffee when my illness was at its worst. It was always when I was struggling most that I gave in and had one and then thought I was making my symptoms worse. It was one of the happiest days of my life when I worked out it was the other way around! But I love it best when I have a couple of coffee free days a week, and oh dear it is more like a couple of coffee free days a year….

What are your scales saying this morning? Hope they give you a nice reading!

Jody, so glad that you are feeling the benefits of 5:2. And fingers crossed for that IVF treatment!
    I’m with you on adding bran to baked goods, I have found that is easier than buying wholemeal flour.

What a lovely fast day of food you had LJoyce! While I am not religious, I have a sister who is an Anglican Priest and I love the thought she puts in to Lent and what she gets out of it. Your idea is such a good one!

My focus at the moment is to accept that it is not stopping waste to put excess food into my mouth! I have been thinking about this in relation to what Lael wrote about emotional eating, and all the things in Susie Orbach’s book ‘Fat is a Feminist Issue’ that outlined the problematic relationship women have with food and body image. And also thinking of my friend telling me she often ate something the baby left, because it was easier than taking it over to the bin (and then I did the same thing when my child was small).

I thought I had learnt this lesson, but I have realised that is because I live alone and can usually judge pretty well what I eat so that there isn’t any waste. I was quite smug. But over Christmas when there was so much food around I discovered that it is enormously hard for me to throw good food out.

How soon does Lent start? I am giving up putting excess food in my mouth, instead of putting it in the compost.

Cinque, I absolutely relate to the food waste thing, I think that eating the kids leftovers started me on my weighty journey years ago, I still hate throwing out food. Then after they leave home, I still bought groceries for a family. Now days I grow too much food, I am constantly looking for people to take the excess. πŸ˜•
    Lynn

Cinque, thanks for asking – disaster! The scales say the same as yesterday. Extreme vigilance required for the next two NFDs. There’s no such thing as bad publicity Cinque!

I’ve written about waste quite a lot here before. I’ve had plenty of experience at buying the right quantities for our little family of three and don’t waste food from the pantry or fridge. Meals are determined by what’s available, not what we ‘fancy’. OFMs are very happy to eat leftovers. Through 5:2, I’ve learned to put less food on my plate so I don’t waste much there either. I still have issues with other people’s wasting – walking past a cafe and seeing a big fat muffin with just the top eaten off really gets to me. I don’t eat muffins, but I have an urge to grab it and give it to someone else to finish! Childhood memories.

Happy Birthday for Wednesday Vaderz. Congratulations on your loss, you’re heading in the right direction.

When are you off to Europe Lynn? Perhaps you can buy yourself some nice clothes too – in a new size!

Have a great day Monday Fasters and everyone else.

I fly out on 31 august Thin, a while to go, but a lovely thing to reward myself with, have to stay on track diet wise so I can still fit in the airline seat, however, I really rewarded myself by booking business class seat, a real treat. Don’t know about a dress though, have worn nothing but trousers and jeans for 30 years, dresses have aways made me look like a galleon in full sail. Hard image to get over. One of the things I want to do in London is high tea at the ritz, so a dress would be appropriate. Scales were at a new low this morning, 111.1.

Good afternoon all,
    Missed out on posting about my last FD Thursday last due to commitments then the internet was down for two days, even had a power outage for a few hours on Saturday night just as we were about to start dinner at my brothers place. Most of the street was out the front watching it get darker with kids complaining about no TV or internet. The power came back on at 9.00pm and a late dinner was had. No kids died from starvation or lack of TV and devices during this blackout.

Lael thanks for doing the chores chasing up the food tables for others. It is nice to know your efforts posting informative links is helping people. No I did not pay 10cents for my LaZuppa pack more like $2 or $3 bucks. I am going to give it a go tonight with broccoli, bok choy, carrots, beans and prawns. Like you say I think it will make a good sauce base.

Thinatlast the kidney beans I get are a 400g tin (Annalisa Italian ones) which says they are 240g when drained but as you know you can’t trust the labeling so on to the scales they go in a bowl after draining. It varies all the time how much is left. If it is only a spoonful, in the bin they go otherwise they keep OK for a week in the fridge. I use my scales for all meals being prepared on FD’s. It’s not hard for salads etc. and you learn what you can have, need more or less of.

Cinque keep your chin up, these things often have a way of turning themselves around from a different direction.

The battery in my bathroom scales has run out and as it not a necessity I keep forgetting to take it out and with me to the shops so I don’t know how I am going at the moment but I must say my lower legs, ankles and feet have that thin and bony look about them and I haven’t had any swelling on my knee’s (had a reco on one and an accident around the other years ago) since before Christmas which has been awesome.

Meals for the day last Thursday:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj
    Total 1350kj or 322cals.

Hi from cold rainy Adelaide – I’m sitting here rugged up in a full track suit and thick socks, in February! Today has reminded me of just how much the weather affects my appetite. On a hot day my appetite goes AWOL, in mild weather it’s definitely there but often manageable providing I’m organised. Well today it’s cold, and my appetite has come roaring back to life with a vengeance, I have been craving food all day. This is a timely reminder that I need to get the excess weight off before winter. It will be hard enough maintaining my weight through winter, let alone trying to reduce it.

It’s a NFD so I have been trying desperately not to overdo it today – if I stick to the dinner that’s cooking at the moment my day will be 6500kj (1550cal) which is about 500kj over my TDEE, I’m OK with that – it’s more control than I usually manage which feels like progress to me. I’ve promised myself the newly purchased 125g punnet of raspberries for dessert tonight if I behave myself. As raspberries are my favourite fruit by far, it’s a reward that usually works. I get to eat them so rarely these days because of the high cost. I took them for granted as a child – my grandpa had a whole hillside in his large Adelaide Hills garden covered in raspberry canes when I was growing up. My summer holidays (which was the main time we went to stay with my dad’s family in the Adelaide Hills) always involved gorging myself of raspberries. I remember as a 5 year old, going out in the late afternoon with grandpa to pick raspberries for dessert that night (usually eaten with fresh cream). By the time his container was full, mine would only have a half dozen raspberries rolling around in the bottom and I’d have a huge red ring around my mouth – and grandpa would be shaking his head laughing.

Cinque – as to your question, this year lent starts on Wednesday 1st March (it’s late because easter is in late April). I’m not religious either, but spiritual-yes. I grew up with no awareness of lent, but my ex-husband was catholic so I learned about things like lent while married to him. I certainly never thought of it the way his family did, but I liked the idea of a defined time of sacrifice that was intended to give you an opportunity to reflect. For me this had appeal and was a really helpful thing to do. It gave me an opportunity to temporarily give up something that I felt had too much power in my life and a chance to think about my role and place in this world and being more aware of the choices that I often made unconsciously. I usually did food sacrifices, but not this year. I already have enough rules around food at the moment, it’s activity (or a lack of it) that concerns me most at present so that will be my focus.

I’ll try to make the most of the temporary cold wet spell here, our forecasts are saying we’re getting 4 days around 40C from Wednesday – I’ll be missing the cold then!

Oh no. My mother-in-law has invited us for dinner tonight and it’s a FD!

We usually do it Wednesday but Aunty is coming and she can’t make it tomorrow.

Decided to not have breakfast which gives me a few more calories to work with. Not sure what she’s serving but if I give hubby some of my meat and take his veges I might be OK. Hopefully there’ll be lots of veges on offer but I reckon not. I don’t want to offend her.

Why don’t you change your FD to another day – is that a possibility for you? The flexibility of this is one of its strengths… life/family/social stuff is important too… I think for many of us, that aspect of our lives requires just as much work sometimes as our waistlines do πŸ™‚

I could do that but I’m obsessive compulsive and it feels weird. I guess the thing to do is to see how I go this evening. If it doesn’t work then I’ll put off my regular Wednesday lunch with my friend and fast instead.

Derr. Shouldn’t take someone else to point it out to consider that I guess.

PS: My mother-in-law is lovely so I reckon she’ll probably be OK.

Good morning everyone,

My sympathy CAngel, I am sure you will work out something. Personally, I think I would let them know it is a fast day and that you will only eat a small portion because you need to keep under 500 calories for the day. My family have all been understanding, it makes for an interesting topic of conversation while you are eating your tiny portion, and it doesn’t interrupt the lovely social time you can have with your MIL and Aunty.

Plus it helps make the Fast Day go quickly!

Vaderz, you are so right about the trickiness of the life/family/social stuff !

Hi Joffy, thankyou. Yes, the world is full of surprising possibilities.

LJoyce, those raspberries! Oh yum!
    And thankyou! I am starting Lent early! πŸ˜‰

Thin, you have it exactly, I have to learn how to be the woman with the partly eaten muffin in front of me, and while I can beat myself up a little about making a bad decision, I must leave the muffin uneaten! (Even knowing what some passers by are thinking!!!! )

I’ve got a busy, social day today. I have a special event with a friend who is also mostly housebound, in her case it is from damage from a car accident years ago. We both opshop and buy gorgeous clothes (when we do get out of the house!) but then never get to wear them. So once a month we are dressing fancy and going out for a coffee together. Today is our first time. I think I will wear silk!

Best wishes everyone for a lovely day, especially if you are fasting. I have my fast day tomorrow!

Coffee meeting for Perth losers!

Rather short notice but if there are any Perth lurkers out there, PerthGirl and I will be meeting today, Tuesday, at 10.30am for coffee. Sprolo Cafe, 138 Canning Hwy, South Perth. You’re most welcome to join us.

Hi Thin, I trust the Perth Losers coffee meeting went splendidly! I wish I could have joined you and PerthGirl and any others who happened along!

Cinque, I love op shopping as much as I enjoy perusing the sales at DJ and Meyer! In fact the dress I wore for Christmas lunch was from an op shop and I felt a million dollars wearing it, even though I only paid $5 for it! I delight in op shop finds!

Canberangel, I’m cheering on the side here for it to work for you to fast at your family get together on your intended FD. I’m cheering because I know how dicey it can be when others might not fully understand our fasting ways. Here’s to everyone at the family dinner eagerly enquiring to know more about your FD endeavors and being very supportive in the process! Maybe you’ll even find that some of the others may want to consider 5:2 for themselves!

LJ, I too happily munched my way through one of those raspberry punnets that I bought on sale from Coles! They were so yum and the perfect balance of flavor on my cottage cheese FD meal! …As for waste, yes, I’m notorious for eating not to waste, unless it is something that looks moldy or that smells ‘off’ from the fridge. Then I throw it in the bin and feel guilty that I didn’t use it in time! At least I won’t go that far in an attempt not to ‘waste’. I once shared a house with a guy who got the bulk of his food from the big skip bins behind supermarkets. This was back in my twenties when we were a house full of students. I remember opening the fridge one day to find these moldy zucchini which I started to toss in the bin just as that house mate came into the kitchen to give me a lecture about how they were ‘his’ zucchini and that they were staying in the fridge! I moved out of that house within the month!

Pintilin, your travels sound idyllic! …Business class and all too!

Joffy, great to read that this WOL might be at least partly responsible for the reduction in swelling of your knees!! In weather this hot, over summer my feet have seasonally swelled and this year they haven’t swelled either! In fact they too look bony like yours, which is a look I like for feet!

Vaderz, congratulations on your progress so far! Shedding 2 kg in a week is 4 x the average! Well done! Also, ‘Happy Birthday’ for tomorrow when you turn 42! πŸ™‚

JodyW, yes, I’ve purchased the Stagg Chili which can be found in both Coles and Woolies, though I haven’t bought any for quite awhile. Good to know the calorie count is low enough to work for an easy hearty FD meal.

Hi to Intesha, KrisAnne, Merry, Fishing Gran Amanda, KiwisGoFaster, GdayfromSA, bayleafoz, Lolly

We miss you Charlotterose, SussanahD, spiritedpagen, CAnbewarra, chatelaine, monkeydo!

I start TAFE classes tomorrow!

Well, dinner went very well at MIL’s house.

She served grilled fish, roast and microwaved vegetables. I explained I was fasting and hubby’s siblings offered to swap my roast potatoes for their cauliflower and broccoli. I didn’t have wine or desert, just had one bite of hubby’s crepe.

When I got h home I recorded what I’d eaten. Without breakfast I’d had only 180 calories (though didn’t know how to record the bite of crepe :-)! I went around the house looking for something else – thinking I should have closer to 500. I found two sour squirms so ate them (85 calories). 265 calories in total. Very happy with that, though was running late so forgot to weigh myself this morning before work.

Onward and downward!

Good morning all,
    Completed a FD on Tuesday morning but I am little disappointed as I was looking to do a water fast (with a white coffee) and I chickened out at 11pm and had my usual soup with kidney beans. I was in the right mind set and had been busy until 9.30pm, then the thoughts start coming into your head, am I going to be OK for work in the morning and will I get to sleep. Of course I would be but your mind is good at making compromises when it comes to eating. The soup did nothing for me except for flavour and this is maybe that mind part coming into it. I will try again on Thursday.

Canberraangel don’t be afraid to change your FD’s occasionally you just need a trigger. Mine is a cup of black tea or black coffee, after I have had my early morning white coffee, this reminds me what is happening today.
    I do understand if you have already started a FD and you don’t want to abandon it in the evening due to a last minute get together as I have done that once and it annoyed me most of all, it felt like a whole day wasted.

Lael yes bony feet and ankles are awesome, not that I have a foot fetish, I just like the look of them on me.

It is strange how you accept swelling on the joints constantly as normal but it is primarily from being overweight and you have gotten used to having this happen all the time then when you have lost a bit of weight the swollen joints suddenly stop occurring. It takes experiencing the positive effects of the weight loss to believe the positive effects of weight loss.

Meals for the day:
    1 x white coffee 150kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans int the soup 400kj Total 1350kj or 322cals.

*For all the newbies and lurkers my white coffee is instant with approx. 50ml of full cream milk. I did initially do several typical pours into a measuring cup to ascertain how much I normally have. I only have 30ml in tea so it is a worthwhile experiment to check for your FD intake.

Viewing 50 posts - 10,501 through 10,550 (of 28,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply.